5.8

1. Oct 17, 2013
    While the game is fun for what it is There are no voices for Michael Schumacher or Nico Rosberg. I'm amazed that no reviewer that I can find anywhere, made any mention of this... so much for thorough in-depth reviews these days...
    The issue itself is small, but it's the spirit behind not completing the game that bothers me.
  2. Feb 28, 2013
    So this is what all that experience in the field has lead to? Codemasters should surely know better. Not only is this game a blatant copy of Mario Kart, but it makes absolutely no innovations at all. The tracks are dull and uninspiring, the controls are too simple (can't even get manual you get that on MARIO KART the noobiest of the noobiest racing games!) and the driving physics areSo this is what all that experience in the field has lead to? Codemasters should surely know better. Not only is this game a blatant copy of Mario Kart, but it makes absolutely no innovations at all. The tracks are dull and uninspiring, the controls are too simple (can't even get manual you get that on MARIO KART the noobiest of the noobiest racing games!) and the driving physics are non-existent. No handbrake, no gears. Just accelerate and brake. Sure it's simple and easy to grasp but we're talking about a supposed F1 game. What's the point of having real F1 drivers (which look horrible in this game) and different teams when all cars are the same, there are no driving mechanics or any depth whatsoever and the powerups are straight copies from other games? The graphics are nice and I suppose it is a fairly simple and harmless party game but I really don't see the point in it. On one extreme we have F1 2012 a very dull, boring, unintuitive and unfriendly welcome to those unfamiliar with F1 (despite the fabulous driving physics) but on the other hand we have something so noob-friendly it's laughably pointless. Get it right Codemasters! We want something in between. Not a load of F1 jargon and having to cope with 24 badly programmed AI cars and not Mario Kart. Make an F1 game where all you do is drive round the track trying to get good times. That would work in both arcade and simulation style of racing. Expand

1. Jan 24, 2013
    A benign but relatively feckless take on the whole kart-racing thing. Fun, but too lightweight. [Feb 2013, p.72]
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    The game itself is in need of a good bit of work. [Issue#226, p.82]
  3. Despite being a kids game, F1 Race Stars uses its license to the bone. Cars are properly branded and colored with the right sponsors and every driver of the 2012 season showed up, plus four imaginary drivers, including three women. [January 2013, p.74]