Fallout 3 PlayStation 3

8.0

1. Feb 16, 2017
    I was never really interested on Fallout 3 or the franchise until late-2015 when I tried to buy it on my local retail store, which did not have the game until six months later. My expectations for Fallout 3 were high and I have to say that it was one of my best video game purchases of the past year. I had a great experience while playing it. The story is okay, but this is not what reallyI was never really interested on Fallout 3 or the franchise until late-2015 when I tried to buy it on my local retail store, which did not have the game until six months later. My expectations for Fallout 3 were high and I have to say that it was one of my best video game purchases of the past year. I had a great experience while playing it. The story is okay, but this is not what really matters here, unlike other titles. I really like the atmosphere, the towns, the loneliness, the missions... It was something different for me, as I do not play this type of games. The Capital Wasteland is a great place to explore for hours. You could not know what location you are going to found or what is going to happen during your journey. It is not a horror game but there are some scary locations and enemies that are great to explore alone, in the dark, expecting some creepy moments to happen. There are also a lot of weapons, skills, locations, missions, enemies, Easter eggs... I really like that.

The voice acting is not that good. I loved hearing Liam Neeson as my character's father, but there are so much NPCs with the same voice actors (who do not bother on varying their voices at least), and that is how you have a whole bunch of characters with literally the same voice. The music is very good and the landscapes are great, as well as some locations, but I think that the worst thing about this video game is its technical aspect, and I am specifically talking about the PS3 version. It was a real shame that after surpassing 6MB of save data the game started freezing, chrashing and glitching. It is impossible to beat Fallout 3's story without seeing your screen freeze at least once. It is not as bad as Skyrim but it is bad, very bad, and that bothers me a lot.

Do not get me wrong with the note. It is a great video game, I had such a great experience whit it, but I can not give it a 9 with its terrible technical issues. I am sure that I could rate it with a 9 on PC, but not on the PS3. Despite all that, I think that it is a very recommendable video game. You can buy the GOTY edition if you want. The DLCs are good. Not great, but good, and they expand the game's universe with more locations, missions and weapons.

- Story completed once between June and November 2016. Platinum trophy earned. Played for 86 hours (counting all DLCs).
  2. Oct 19, 2010
    Fallout 3 is a massive game and to this day I still haven't even scratched the surface, but I've played for about 10 hours on my current character and it manages to at least nearly equal Oblivion. It's not quite as amazing as Oblivion was when it released, but it comes close. The combat is great and the quests dynamic. There's little to complain about, except for the bugs which are commonFallout 3 is a massive game and to this day I still haven't even scratched the surface, but I've played for about 10 hours on my current character and it manages to at least nearly equal Oblivion. It's not quite as amazing as Oblivion was when it released, but it comes close. The combat is great and the quests dynamic. There's little to complain about, except for the bugs which are common in every Bethesda game. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2010
    Wow. Only 5,000 character reviews allowed? That's not nearly enough to describe the beauty of this game. But anyways, guess what? This game is one of the best games ever. Bioshock and Fallout 3 are the best FPS-RPG hybrids in the world. And guess what? They both came out for the PS3 at roughly the same date. Bioshock came a week earlier on the PS3, and I say the PS3 because Bioshock didn'tWow. Only 5,000 character reviews allowed? That's not nearly enough to describe the beauty of this game. But anyways, guess what? This game is one of the best games ever. Bioshock and Fallout 3 are the best FPS-RPG hybrids in the world. And guess what? They both came out for the PS3 at roughly the same date. Bioshock came a week earlier on the PS3, and I say the PS3 because Bioshock didn't come out on the PS3 until about a year after every other version. Anyways, what can I say? You're born, and you make your gender, name, looks, etc. Then you're suddenly 1 year old, and you're introduced to the actual mechanics. Then you're 10, and you're given your Pip-Boy, along with a BB-Gun for your birthday. Then you're 16, and you have to take a test to see where you fit into in the world. Then you're 19, and for some reason, your dad is gone. He disappeared and escaped from your home, vault 101. Vaults are underground shelters, and were created because of the ongoing Nuclear War. Everyone is looking for you since they apparently think you know where he is, which you really don't. After a few tasks, you get out into the real world. Now, this is all the reason why this game got a 9 instead of a 10. The intro, and that's really my only grudge, other then a few glitches. The real world is nothing like you're used to. It's a barren wasteland that you don't even recognize. You go to a nearby town to find more about your father and where the hell he went, and that's about the point that I got to. Now, the great thing about this game is the amount of options. You can choose to shoot the head, the torso, the right arm, the left arm, the weapon, the right leg, and the left leg in the brilliant system known as V.A.T.S. You can choose side quests. You can choose to save people. You can choose to kill people. Even the conversations have options. No matter what, you always have a say in what you do. The combat is the weakest part, though. Even though that's not saying much. That's like saying that 1 YouTube video is worse then the best YouTube video. The combat doesn't feel like how combat in a FPS should be. Bioshock did combat better. But other then that, this is one of the greatest games in existence. And this is where I draw the line. Expand
  4. Oct 28, 2010
    Fallout 3 Game Review
    Fallout 3 is an RPG created by Bethesda Softworks. Fallout 3 is set in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. in the year of 2277 where nuclear war has scarred the face of human kind with various mutations of the people due to radiation. The player is able to explore this â
  5. Nov 30, 2010
    read it if you are new to fallout series
    I never played any of the fallout games. I bought it because i have some friends that love it and i decided to give it a try. I played the game for a few hours and simply couldnt understand what was going on.. or what should i do... I was completely lost.
    read it if you are new to fallout series
    After a few months i decided to give it another try, and it took a while but i learned to enjoy the game. It can be really exhaustive sometimes, but in a general it was good fun and in a way, a masterpiece of freedom of choices, I must confess i was really disappointed by the ending , i actually ended the game thinking I was in a side mission.. But the game is like this: most of the times you end up choosing a path without really knowing what will be the consequences. Although this is its weakest point its also the best thing about the game.
  6. Jul 18, 2012
    Not much to say about this game, other than that the hours I have logged playing it show me how much I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are realistic and interactive, and the story is very personal and well written. The one real complaint I had was that after the final mission we could not roam the wasteland afterwards, however one of the DLC fixed that.
  7. Dec 17, 2013
    This game is perfect. I've never played a fallout game before. The world was amazing, the story engaging the choices very good and even replayability (and I normally never replay games!). I did not have any problems with glitches and freezes in this game though.
  8. Dec 11, 2011
    I was hesitant to pick up this game because I had not played the former fallout games. But when i finally took the plunge, I had no regrets. It obviously runs on the same engine as oblivion, but with major improvements. Loved this game, the moment i stepped out of the vault and into the capital wasteland. Kept me busy for around 100 plus hours. The only thing I wish it had was a buggy orI was hesitant to pick up this game because I had not played the former fallout games. But when i finally took the plunge, I had no regrets. It obviously runs on the same engine as oblivion, but with major improvements. Loved this game, the moment i stepped out of the vault and into the capital wasteland. Kept me busy for around 100 plus hours. The only thing I wish it had was a buggy or some kind of bike to get you around quicker. The usual glitches appear here, as they did in oblivion. Main storyline is ridiculously short, and lackluster, but the side quests are awesome and well thought up. Expand
  9. Aug 17, 2012
    If there were ever a time to call a video game art this would be it..
    This game is nothing short of a master piece, unique and interesting characters, fantastic dialogue and story, an unbelievable amount of things to do without out it ever feeling repetitive or bland..

Definitely worthy of the hype!
  10. Aug 22, 2012
    A great game, a change of perspective in RPG, amazing story-line a must buy and play, like all other Bethesda games had some problems in the launch, but like always they fixed with the patches, game is amazing, suck you in, game play difficulty can be changed on the run, like the other Bethesda titles and everything else that makes a perfect game.
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    The most immersive game I have ever played. The Wasteland has an authentically wasted atmosphere, the characters are fun and memorable (Three Dog, Moira, Amata etc). The locations are detailed and interesting, often including minor stories hidden away. The story is very well written and every time I play I look forward to the treks across the landscape as I bump into new people andThe most immersive game I have ever played. The Wasteland has an authentically wasted atmosphere, the characters are fun and memorable (Three Dog, Moira, Amata etc). The locations are detailed and interesting, often including minor stories hidden away. The story is very well written and every time I play I look forward to the treks across the landscape as I bump into new people and discover new places. The quirky humour also complements the game. Expand
  12. Aug 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout 3 is the best RPG ever. It's original and funny.
    The setting is perfect, you can really feel the after nuclear holocaust climate.
    The combat mechanics are very interesting and the introducing of V.A.T.S. It'a very good idea.
    The main story is also interesting especially in the fight between B. of Steel and Enclave. There are about twenty side missions and most of them are really engaging. There are a few side missions which are a bit boring. But the better side of the game are not the missions, but the exploring of the large map full of interesting places. In every place there's something (weapons, armours, collectibles,...) to find and a bit of monsters to kill. Also the monsters are very original.
    Now, the technical side. The graphics are not so wonderful and the game freezes really often, but It is very vast, so that's comprehensible. The sound, globally, is good, but especially the radios are brilliant and interesting to listen.
    This game is really engaging and its mechanics will kidnap you for long.
    You'll lost months with this game, which never ends.
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    This game is awesome, no dout, but it could use a online multiplayer and 2 player setting and could use a clean of all of the bugs and glitches but otherwise it's awesome
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    This game is the most epic game that I've ever played. Its incontable hours of fun, an interesting plot, amazing hidden surprises and tons of different thing to do. Loads of weapons armors, outfits, companions, enemies, things to explore. The background for the game (the different evolution of the world, the destruction of it by the nuclear holocaust, and the sick and crazy pre-war USThis game is the most epic game that I've ever played. Its incontable hours of fun, an interesting plot, amazing hidden surprises and tons of different thing to do. Loads of weapons armors, outfits, companions, enemies, things to explore. The background for the game (the different evolution of the world, the destruction of it by the nuclear holocaust, and the sick and crazy pre-war US government, Vault-Tec Executives and the Enclave,the struggle of the humanity to survive and put the society back in its rails) is simply amazing. The mechanics of the game are very nice also, things like V.A.T.S, sneaking, and etc. GO and buy it, you won't regret! Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    i use to play this everyday for 2 years straight. then i stopped for playing it. just sat around and did not get played. now that i dont have it, well my ps3 i still got fallout3 though, i miss it. i got fo3 pc with mods and stuff, but the console version is always the best. ps3 at that
  16. Nov 17, 2013
    Amazing voice acting, amazing story line, gameplay, DLC, quests, exploring. What more could an RPG player ask for? Bethesda just excels at everything in the RPG category! 10/10
  17. Nov 16, 2015
    Loved it. Never played from release, 2 years after but the graphics held up at the time and I became immersed in the game very quickly. I learned what 'overenvumbered' means about 1 hour into the game and found everything about the game, it's graphics, it's story, it's perk system amazing. It lost a point for the bugs and glitches. Overall, after gaining Platinum Status and playing allLoved it. Never played from release, 2 years after but the graphics held up at the time and I became immersed in the game very quickly. I learned what 'overenvumbered' means about 1 hour into the game and found everything about the game, it's graphics, it's story, it's perk system amazing. It lost a point for the bugs and glitches. Overall, after gaining Platinum Status and playing all DLCs I am hooked to Fallout. Well Done developers you got yourself a lifelong fan! Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2012
    Utterly amazing. Long hours of game-play, amazing story line, many side quests, large map, and amazing DLC. This is my favorite game, my previous being Fallout: New Vegas.
  19. Jan 10, 2011
    Looking for a fun rpg with a huge open world? Fallout 3 is for you. It has some nice graphics with long quests. The only problem is that it crashes sometimes, but its rare that it will happen.
  20. May 28, 2011
    As with GTA,turning the series into 3D has worked phenomenally.An utter brilliant game and worthy of the many awards it received.Though not without the oddglitch or annoyance,Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever made and will steal a hundred hours of your time without trying.The DLC packs are mainly excellent with Broken Steel and Point Lookout being the better of them.Buy it and waitAs with GTA,turning the series into 3D has worked phenomenally.An utter brilliant game and worthy of the many awards it received.Though not without the oddglitch or annoyance,Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever made and will steal a hundred hours of your time without trying.The DLC packs are mainly excellent with Broken Steel and Point Lookout being the better of them.Buy it and wait impatiently for Fallout 4. Expand
  21. Yggdrasil
    Nov 17, 2008
    Tries to catch the spirit of the old Fallout-Games but is only partly successful. Graphics look nice, but character-animation and graphics are a little outdated (Oblivion-engine). Some graphical hick-ups and minor bugs (GOAT-test does not start under certain conditions, etc.). In my opinion the game is only "worth" around 70-75%, but not 100%.
  22. Aug 17, 2010
    now if you are a fan of games like oblivion and morrowind . fallout 3 is your game with guns instead of swords and a nuclear waste land instead of a medevil setting. Fallout 3 improves alot of what the prevous games did . the first much faster load times , alot less buggy and glitchy then the others , the combat system is the most fun of the 3. now i never played the prevous fall out gamesnow if you are a fan of games like oblivion and morrowind . fallout 3 is your game with guns instead of swords and a nuclear waste land instead of a medevil setting. Fallout 3 improves alot of what the prevous games did . the first much faster load times , alot less buggy and glitchy then the others , the combat system is the most fun of the 3. now i never played the prevous fall out games i know i heard a few people saying they liked the older way better and didnt care of the elder scrolls style update they did . i really cant comment since i hadnt played the originals but i know what i like and i really like this game. there are a Ton of things to do in this game , a story that not amazing is entertaining enough to keep you moving foward , lots of places to explore , going good or evil makes for a fun replay . i dont know how Grand Theft Auto 4 beat this out for game of the year . Expand
  23. Oct 7, 2010
    I once read someone calling Fallout 3, 'Oblivion with guns'. Well, to an extent, that's true. It shares the same quest mechanic as Oblivion, the conversations with NPCs are formatted the same, the map is of a similar size, and the inventory management is also similar. Fallout 3 also is also buggy as hell, perhaps even more so than Oblivion (tread carefully with the GOTY edition).

However,

However, Fallout 3 is far more detailed than Oblivion, which for a game set in a barren wasteland is some achievement. Never has death and destruction felt so alive. The character development via attributes, skills and feats (or 'perks', as they are known) is much more RPG-like with its familiar 'earn stats and allocate them as you see fit' rule, as opposed to Oblivion's 'increase stats by doing' principle. The main story is a little on the weak side, but Fallout 3 is a game that allows you to create your own story. The combination of its side-quests and its open-world platform provide a tabula rasa for the player to carve out his or her own narrative through their decisions and experiences. â
  24. Oct 2, 2010
    This game is decent, for an RPG lover it will be a fun experience from start to end. The atmosphere and is well crafted and you will immerse yourself in the setting. The main problem I had with this game was the combat, it's super simple and after a while it gets repetitive and boring. This game would have been a classic if it wasn't for the silly combat.
  25. Oct 9, 2010
    This is a great enjoyable game which i have completed several times. Although it freezes quite often and is very annoying to play on the ps3. also the add-ons for this game add plenty more hours of game play and unique items,weapons and armour.
  26. Jan 1, 2011
    I say this game would be a ten but the problem is that it has too many bugs and freezing issues. Other than that this game is amazing. So amazing I beat it 4 times, and there are very few games I beat more than once
  27. dlord
    Jan 26, 2009
    too long, too many repetitive side missions and worst of all game kept freezing!!!! did enjoy playing but too many problems and life is too short for that!
  28. Nov 21, 2010
    For me, there weren't any bugs, especially in the PS3 GOTY version. I had a great time playing this game and was able to get 100% and all the trophies in about 80 hours. This was a great game through and through, and deserved to be GOTY 2008. Only about 5 freezes throughout my experience with this game, and all of them were caused by trying to do glitches. Buy this game if you wantFor me, there weren't any bugs, especially in the PS3 GOTY version. I had a great time playing this game and was able to get 100% and all the trophies in about 80 hours. This was a great game through and through, and deserved to be GOTY 2008. Only about 5 freezes throughout my experience with this game, and all of them were caused by trying to do glitches. Buy this game if you want something new. I wasn't disappointed at all with this game. With Oblivion getting me hyped for this release, i wasn't surprised on how good this game was. 10/10 Expand
  29. Apr 16, 2011
    I bought the Game of the year addition with all of the five dlc created for it. It only cost me $20. Considering that this was game of the year back in 2007, it hasn't age very well. The graphics pretty dull for a Bethesda game that had put out Oblivion the year before this one. But like Oblivion, the npcs have no personality and you find yourself in a very lonely non-interactive worldI bought the Game of the year addition with all of the five dlc created for it. It only cost me $20. Considering that this was game of the year back in 2007, it hasn't age very well. The graphics pretty dull for a Bethesda game that had put out Oblivion the year before this one. But like Oblivion, the npcs have no personality and you find yourself in a very lonely non-interactive world doing people favors. Its not suppose to be a shooter game, although you can attempt to use your controller to take shots at enemies but you'll waste rounds and get killed very quickly. Instead you need to rely on something called V.A.T.S that is an automatic targeting system that allows you to create damage against your enemies. So in essence, it's Fallout 3's way of using the RPG standard of tactical combat effected by your level and skills, just like another game that came out that same year, Mass Effect. Unlike Mass Effect though, it doesn't have a story to make you want to keep coming back to play. The whole story is that your Dad has left the security of the vault without telling you why and you leave to go find him, or not. It's an open world, so if you wish to go and collect old ashtrays, books, and bottlecaps for trade and wander the Wasteland. I never knew the Post-Apocalyptic world could be soooooo boring. Expand
  30. AdamH
    Nov 5, 2008
    As a big fan of the previous canon Fallout games, I was very excited about Fallout 3. I bought the game the first day and sold it the 2nd day. After thinking about it, I do honestly think it's what a modern Fallout game would translate to. That being said, I had major problems with the game. For one, there should be a more expedient way to create a character (after the first time). As a big fan of the previous canon Fallout games, I was very excited about Fallout 3. I bought the game the first day and sold it the 2nd day. After thinking about it, I do honestly think it's what a modern Fallout game would translate to. That being said, I had major problems with the game. For one, there should be a more expedient way to create a character (after the first time). Second, for as far as I got before returning it, the game's V.A.T.S. system is far too powerful. I played a peaceful speech based character on Very Hard. Never put a point into Small Guns, but the vast majority of my enemies went down in a spray of close range headshots from my starting pistol without touching me. A non-combatant character should not be able to take down an entire group of raiders - these people kill people for a living. Overall, the game will be a big favorite of some players, but a great disappoint to some. Expand

1. Oct 27, 2010
    Until you can play the game without unpredictable crashing and quirky issues surprising you it's going to be tough to find the maximum amount of fun I know this title can offer.
    This is the kind of hugely ambitious game that doesn't come around very often, and when it does, you'd be a fool not to play it and enjoy the hell out of it and look forward to the day (next-next-gen?) when the fidelity of open-world RPGs takes another big step closer to the uncanny valley's far side.
    It's rare that a game can hit the mark in so many different and often conflicting areas. Fallout 3 offers freedom without sacrificing a focused story. It delivers fantastic combat without forgoing a deep role-playing system. The characters you meet are engaging and oftentimes hilarious without feeling out of place in this harsh world.