7.6

1. Oct 19, 2010
    I love everything about fallout 3 but this game does not get a free pass to a high rating. The fact of the matter is this game has so many bugs it does not score more than four. Nice try, but a name similar to another game isn't how ratings work. Fix the bugs and it gets a higher score. My vote is not for the genre or the franchise but this game as a single entity. I personally give thisI love everything about fallout 3 but this game does not get a free pass to a high rating. The fact of the matter is this game has so many bugs it does not score more than four. Nice try, but a name similar to another game isn't how ratings work. Fix the bugs and it gets a higher score. My vote is not for the genre or the franchise but this game as a single entity. I personally give this game a four, a very low score because simply put I find the game broken. My personality type has no patience to replay an area over again until it works. Its mystical the first time and I only want to experience it once. Bugs or glitches that require a reload ruin the game to the point that I'm not interested in it at all. With 3 systems and at least 500 games on each there are regretfully better choices and Fallout New Vegas is close enough to Fallout 3 you may as well just stay put with Fallout 3 and spare yourself the headaches of wishing Fallout New Vegas didn't have the problems it has. As I mentioned nice try, I like the Fallout franchise but as with anything in life you have to earn a reputation and a game full of bugs and problems is a game full of bugs and problems even if it is Fallout 3 based Expand
  2. Nov 1, 2010
    The first hours of Fallout New Vegas was like walking on clouds. I loved everything about it, the atmosphere, the astethics and the gameplay. But as I ventured out in the gigantic wastelands the glitches appeared and a freezing hell started.

After 20 hours of gameplay I'm now stuck becuase the game keeps freezing my PS3. My question is how the hell could a game that is so broken get released?
  3. Oct 19, 2010
    FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS

I've only played a dozen hours at this point- and haven't even visited New Vegas yet- so I am not rendering an opinion about the quality of "New Vegas" compared to "Fallout 3". But I AM ready, willing, and able to register a complaint about the IN GAME RADIO. Because dangit, Obsidian really dropped the ball on this! How so? ---- By choosing "New Vegas" as a setting,
    FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS

----
    By choosing "New Vegas" as a setting, they purposefully have selected a city known for its endless entertainment and music culture. It all but demands that they would actually IMPROVE UPON what "Fallout 3" achieved with its in-game radio broadcasts. And yet they fall far short of what "Fallout 3" achieved several years ago! Here's how:
    ----
    SONG SELECTION - Yeah, there are few winners. "Aint That a Kick In the Head" and "Jingle, Jangle, Jingle" are pretty good fare. But "Big Iron" is a big-old bore- and sadly, it's not the only one. Even the best of what's included in the "New Vegas" soundtrack pales next to the undiscovered (to me at least) gems like "Butcher Pete"- which I heard for the first time when stumbling into a building full of knife-wielding Raiders... ----
    REPETITION - Galaxy News Radio in "Fallout 3" licensed 20 GREAT SONGS. And that was just for one station- we had several Patriotic Tunes playing on the Enclave station. But it looks like "New Vegas" settled for something like 15 songs to cover BOTH RADIO STATIONS. So we end up hearing songs repeating themselves all the time- sometimes the same song twice-in-a-row. That just really sucks.
    ----
    DRAMA - "Fallout 3" had two distinct competing narratives on the two major radio stations. The Enclave's propaganda network vs. the rebels. And the tension and comedy that game just from these diametrically opposed groups competing with each other for the hearts-and-minds of the few sane denizens left in the Wasteland was all kinds of awesome. But Mr. New Vegas... Alas... I'm wincing at the schtick and I've barely started playing.
    ----
    Maybe I place too much emphasis on the contributions of the Fallout Radio Stations to the overall gaming experience. But I personally feel like this part of the game is a serious- yet utterly avoidable- letdown. Please don't tell me that Bethesda is so cheap that they cut back on the song licensing budget for a title they KNEW was going to sell like hotcakes, just to save a few pennies. ----
    My only hope at this point is that they'll sell Radio DLC- and give us a chance to double or triple the amount of radio content we have to listen to in the game. I'd pay $10 to get more and better quality songs in rotation in this game. Though dangit, we really shouldn't have to!
    ----
    A last note... The bugginess of the game is worse than I expected. Particularly with respect to Enemy AI. So many times I've come into a room- or an open field- and an enemy character has been stuck. Sometimes they fire at me- other times they just sit there. I shoot them and they slowly die- but they don't otherwise react. In those moments, it feels like an early beta- and really kills the experience.
  4. Oct 24, 2010
    I'm still not sure why this game is receiving such low scores. I see Fallout New Vegas as a vastly improved Fallout 3. The gameplay is more fun with the new iron sights, the story is more intricate and well told, the sounds have been improved and it's LESS glitchy than Fallout 3. Now... I really hate having my PS3 crash because of a game, and Fallout New Vegas has crashed my systemI'm still not sure why this game is receiving such low scores. I see Fallout New Vegas as a vastly improved Fallout 3. The gameplay is more fun with the new iron sights, the story is more intricate and well told, the sounds have been improved and it's LESS glitchy than Fallout 3. Now... I really hate having my PS3 crash because of a game, and Fallout New Vegas has crashed my system twice now, but it isn't nearly as bad as Fallout 3 as far as stability. If it weren't for the occasional crashes and glitches, i'd give this game a 10... but all things considered, I think a 9 would be reasonable. Again, this game is better in every way than Fallout 3. Expand
  5. Nov 4, 2010
    This game does have a few improvements and additions to Fallout 3, but is largely the same game engine. This game seems to have a much more open storyline as well. Personally, I love playing this game. The reason this game gets a lower score from me is because the game freezes far, far too often. There are areas that are virtually impossible because of constant freezes. I understand aThis game does have a few improvements and additions to Fallout 3, but is largely the same game engine. This game seems to have a much more open storyline as well. Personally, I love playing this game. The reason this game gets a lower score from me is because the game freezes far, far too often. There are areas that are virtually impossible because of constant freezes. I understand a certain number of bugs in a game of this scope, but the amount of freezes is unacceptable. Early on in the game, it would freeze every 3 or 4 hours, which isn't great, but is workable. After around 12 hours in though, this game starts to freeze every 20 minutes or so, which makes the game far less enjoyable. This game should not have been released in this condition. If the freezes were taken care of, this game would rate a 10/10 for me, but sadly, the developers didn't fix the problems before they released it. Expand
  6. Oct 29, 2010
    I absolutely LOVED Fallout 3. I could not put down my controller for it. I expected New Vegas to be just as good. I was horribly wrong. Compared to Fallout 3 this game is much worse. The story is much weaker. Your character is much MUCH weaker due to the fact that you get a perk every two levels. There are no more perks that increase your skill. You'll constantly find yourselfI absolutely LOVED Fallout 3. I could not put down my controller for it. I expected New Vegas to be just as good. I was horribly wrong. Compared to Fallout 3 this game is much worse. The story is much weaker. Your character is much MUCH weaker due to the fact that you get a perk every two levels. There are no more perks that increase your skill. You'll constantly find yourself overencumbered because of all the stuff you have to carry to craft things. Not to mention the poor graphics and the glitches. So my advice to those who loved Fallout 3 and are considering buying New Vegas, don't do it. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2010
    I have plunked about 50 hours into this game so far. I've played through every ending and have 1 trophy from platinum so I've put a decent amount of effort into this game. I think it's a disgusting disgrace to the consumer that this game was released in this buggy state. Out of the 50 hours, I've hard locked 40+ times, quit to the XMB menu several times, and encountered so many questI have plunked about 50 hours into this game so far. I've played through every ending and have 1 trophy from platinum so I've put a decent amount of effort into this game. I think it's a disgusting disgrace to the consumer that this game was released in this buggy state. Out of the 50 hours, I've hard locked 40+ times, quit to the XMB menu several times, and encountered so many quest breaking bugs it boggles the mind. Out of 50 hours, I think 40 hours was actual progress as the other 10 hours was repeating my lost progress.

I figured it was my PS3 at first, but after visiting the Bethesda forums it's widespread. I doubt patches will fix this broken game as it seems to be engine issues (aside from the broken quests). It has the same engine woes that were seen in Oblivion and every recent Fallout to date, but multiplied by 10 for some reason. Single digit framerates are completely unacceptable, even though they are only on occasion.

I picked up Fallout 3 well past it's release date and thought it was brilliant. I didn't have 1/4 as many issues as I've had with New Vegas. The storyline is somewhat bland and not very interesting in New Vegas. Fallout 3's campaign kept me on edge and wanting to play more. New Vegas has that to some extent, but there is something missing.

I like the crafting aspect that was put into the game. It made it feel more like an RPG. The addition of the factions also adds another aspect to the game, although it is quite broken with sides attacking you for no reason even though they love you. I cannot however forgive the technical flaws, and that is why it scores such a low score on my scale.

I'm a huge fan of the series, but I will not give it a free pass "just because".
  8. Nov 15, 2010
    I want to start by saying I loved Fallout 3; I played the heck out of it, and loved every minute of it. By no means am I one of the "Fallout was so much better before it was an FPS" crowd. That said, this game is terrible.
    It really functions more like an expansion to Fallout 3 than a new title. There is little to any innovation, and while the idea of having different factions and a social standing with each is interesting, it's poorly executed. Standings with factions increase and decrease at strange and sometimes arbitrary amounts, interaction with factions outside of fighting or neutral standings is somewhat pointless, and if you're like me, you'll eventually just stop caring about it entirely. The Karma system is also completely broken by this. For example, you can kill everyone of an enemy faction in an enemy stronghold, get a ton of good karma for it, but still lose karma for picking up items that are laying around. Because that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong... Of course, karma doesn't matter anymore anyway so go nuts. Gone are the days of Talon Company or the Regulators, and in their place you end up with bumbling "assassins" that are more often than not simply walking resupply stations.
    The plot is also a broken mess, and by the time I reached Novac (for those who played it), I stopped caring about it as well. The quests you need to complete to get people to give you scraps of information are merely busy work, and become increasingly complex and convoluted as time drags on. Example: By the time I was about four hours in to the game I had only made it to said town and level 7. In that town and in order to find out who the man that shot me was traveling with (not even who he was, just who he was traveling with) I had to clear the ghouls out of a factory. Simple enough. To do that I had to clear invisible nightkin out of a basement. Then I found I had to help find radioactive fuel for rockets, which was an entire new quest in a new dangerous area, or 85 caps for a quick fix (if you figured it out). Then you have to find ignition control modules from t- screw it you get the point. I got so tired of these increasingly more complicated chains of events that I finally just struck out for New Vegas for a change of pace. I made it there on the first shot, and talked to Mr. House who flat out told me who shot me and why. Granted he was probably holding something back, but I had found more information in 30 seconds than I did in four hours. I didn't even have to try to find him, he frigging sends a messenger for you. Mystery solved. I'll kill him later. Thanks. You could make the argument that I still don't know all there is to know, but the point is that this game is so monotonous and repetitive that at this point I simply didn't care anymore. It all defies the laws of simplicity; when you break something down into its core components it's supposed to become -for lack of a better word- simpler. Not more and more intricate. As a result New Vegas has merely become a screwing around sort of sandbox for me. A point I normally don't reach until beating a game a couple times. Oh yeah, and at level eight I activated Helios One, pick-pocketed the c-finder, and have access to an orbital strike. It was so easy I don't even feel like I earned it.
    I really want to wrap this up though, so I'll end with this. New Vegas itself is the epitome and personification of what a let down this game is. It's made out to be this glitzy city of lights, chaos, debauchery and adventure, but all I was greeted by were deserted casinos with all of ten patrons, and tiny sections of streets walled off with loading screens. Remember how Rivet "City" had about seven people on it in fallout three? Toss in a blackjack table and it's more or less New Vegas. Download a blackjack app for your phone instead, you'll be happier.
  9. Dec 11, 2011
    It's not as good as fallout 3, but still a decent game. The game is fairly buggy, but it works. Graphics are decent as per the usual. As short as the main quest was in fallout 3, this one takes that title by far. The map is not as big, and there aren't as many quests as the former game had. Still a fun game, and new vegas is an interesting change of pace from the desolate wastes of theIt's not as good as fallout 3, but still a decent game. The game is fairly buggy, but it works. Graphics are decent as per the usual. As short as the main quest was in fallout 3, this one takes that title by far. The map is not as big, and there aren't as many quests as the former game had. Still a fun game, and new vegas is an interesting change of pace from the desolate wastes of the series. The faction system took a lot away from the game, as opposed to adding anything new or interesting. Customizing your weapons is a welcomed addition, as is the inclusion of iron sights. Expand
  10. Mar 12, 2011
    A fantastic game which I loved more than Fallout 3.However it's as glitchy as hell and if you can be patient with it,it will reward you.The graphics are the same as the previous game though the envrionment itself is better.A good story overall with plenty of things to do.I highly recommend it.
  11. Mar 13, 2011
    This game could have been so much more. The operative word for anyone entering New Vegas for the first time on PS3 is "patience." Why? The PS3 version if rife with crippling bugs and lag time issues. If you are a fan of Fallout, you may be able to look past these buggy issues and enjoy the game despite those flaws. I know I did. However, casual players will find more than their fair shareThis game could have been so much more. The operative word for anyone entering New Vegas for the first time on PS3 is "patience." Why? The PS3 version if rife with crippling bugs and lag time issues. If you are a fan of Fallout, you may be able to look past these buggy issues and enjoy the game despite those flaws. I know I did. However, casual players will find more than their fair share of frustrations with this game. To say that this game could have used more time in the oven baking is to be overly charitable. This is not to say that this there is not a rewarding gaming experience to be had here. Far from it. If you loved Fallout 3, this will act as simply an expansion of the great mechanics and game play experienced in that game. However, wading through the myriad depths of glitchy technical issues may ruin the experience. Your mileage may vary. Expand
  12. Oct 21, 2010
    im a huge fan of theese open world RPG's . i loved morrowind , fallout 3 and oblivion . this game at its core is a good game but its not as good as the other 3 for varous reasons . this game right off the start was rushed its so obvous not just because its buggier and glitchier then even morrowind was .the game frezing up every 2 hours , quests getting glitched , guns not regestering theim a huge fan of theese open world RPG's . i loved morrowind , fallout 3 and oblivion . this game at its core is a good game but its not as good as the other 3 for varous reasons . this game right off the start was rushed its so obvous not just because its buggier and glitchier then even morrowind was .the game frezing up every 2 hours , quests getting glitched , guns not regestering the ammo you have . i mean you could have 400 rounds for that gun and it will even tell you that in the pipboy wepon section but when you equip the wepon it will have 0 , people falling into the ground , people flying up into the sky , enimys popping out of no where , enimys just vanishing in the middle of a fight , vats system wont work some times , cant access the pipboy some times . i mean it just goes on and on im sure ive only seen the tip of the iceburg in all this crap. then one of my biggest complaint is exploration just isnt as fun . in the other the games places you could explore could take you some time to go through and explore a building or cave like 30 min to a hour. now its more like 2-5 min cause almost every random place you enter to check out is so rinky dinky there is just no real excitement . this game was deffinitly released way to soon . it deffinitly needed another 12-18 months to expand the size of places to explore and deffinitly work out the bugs . the story is ok . for the most part its starts off as a revenge story trying to find the man that tried to kill you and of course gets abit more complicated although some of it feels recycled from fallout 3. the lvl cap now starts at 30 instead of 20 which is nice. the new perks are just lame they removed almost all the good ones and added ones that arnt "whats the best one to pick?" its more like " which one sucks less?" i guess this was a attempt to make the game more diffucult but it was a fail in my book they added a hardcore diffuculty setting. they didnt need to nerf the good perks from the old fallout 3 game. the graphics are pretty much the exact same ones from fallout 3 which is fine by me . they did add abunch of new enimys but some dont make sense for the power they have like the ubber moth ... its a freekin moth how the hell is it killin me in 2 hits??? you think you are fightin a 20 foot tall dragon with the way it hits. there are some newer wepons and the new crafting system is neat . along with new ways to custimise wepons . i hesitate to give this game a 7 i feel like i almost should give it a 6 . like i said the core game is hear and it is fun but thoose damn bugs and glitches make it hard to go higher then a 7 and no one should be giving this game a 10 i dont give a damn how much you like it . its just inexcusable for this many problems to be had in a released game . there is no way that a good chunck of theese will be solved for atleast 3 months and will more likely be 6 months to a year . i would like to try this on hardcore but theres no way im gona run through this game again until the bulk of the bugs and glitches have been resolved. Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2010
    This is Vegas, take a gamble... but remember the cardinal rule: the house always wins. As in you lost $60 on a broken game. If you have a good PC, DO NOT buy the PS3 version of this game. Simply put, you'll get sick of the constant crashing and hard-resetting (as in get up and go hold down the power button) long before you get to the end of the main quest. Don't even think about it. ThereThis is Vegas, take a gamble... but remember the cardinal rule: the house always wins. As in you lost $60 on a broken game. If you have a good PC, DO NOT buy the PS3 version of this game. Simply put, you'll get sick of the constant crashing and hard-resetting (as in get up and go hold down the power button) long before you get to the end of the main quest. Don't even think about it. There is no patch coming to fix it because it can't be fixed, it's a problem of the game engine being unsuitable for the PS3, as already proven in Fallout 3. I can't believe and at the same time am not surprised that they didn't revamp it for New Vegas. I rate this game an 8 on PC but a 3 on the PS3, because I and many other users can only play for... hmm, what will it be this time? 1 hour? 5 minutes? Spin the crash-wheel, who knows!? Enjoy the sucking frustration! Expand
  14. Oct 19, 2010
    Even though this game will seem like a re-hashed Fallout 3, its still a great game. The story is better written and the world is still full of exploration. This game holds its own even with the technical flaws that follow it. I found this game fun and refreshing...
  15. Oct 19, 2010
    This games title is misleading, it should have been called Fallout 3: New Vegas. If you didn't follow the dev cycle of New Vegas you might not have know that this game uses the same engine that powered Fallout 3 (also Oblivion, both by Bethesda); that means that game mechanics, quest structures, color palette (apocalyptic brown), AI, game assets, shoddy character animations, HUD and UIThis games title is misleading, it should have been called Fallout 3: New Vegas. If you didn't follow the dev cycle of New Vegas you might not have know that this game uses the same engine that powered Fallout 3 (also Oblivion, both by Bethesda); that means that game mechanics, quest structures, color palette (apocalyptic brown), AI, game assets, shoddy character animations, HUD and UI and even V.A.T.S. is all the same as Fallout 3. That being said, if you're a fan of Fallout 3, you'll definitely not want to miss New Vegas. However; unfortunately Obsidian Entertainment's envision of the Fallout Universe is not quite as polished in its implementation, as its predecessor. There are bugs, AI glitches such as NPCs and creatures spawning under terrain, clipping problems such objects that occupy the same space and clip through each other and look sloppy, textures not loading or not visible (such as your gun and arm, which happens randomly), areas where your character will get stuck and force a mandatory reload to proceed, and these are just to name a few of the problems on the Xbox360 version - problems with the NPC AI being the biggest detractor. Another negative aspect of the game is that, unlike Fallout 3, most areas in the wasteland lack the polish of 'The Strip' (the strip is a sight to see) and feel drab or boring in comparison. Also another area I felt was lacking was the voice acting, you can really tell that Obsidian skimped in this area, overall the Voice acting is just horrible compared to F3 - I'm talking about monotonous dialogue and tons of different NPCs who use the same Voice Actor with little to no distinction between them. Despite the games obvious flaws there is much to like (especially if you liked F3), a whole new (long) story line, another large sandbox wasteland to explore with numerous quests (a lot of quests with multiple outcomes, and ways to complete them), countless NPCs (the story writers for this game is exceptional), Vying factions which fight for territory- the NCR, Great Khans, Powder Gangers, The Legionaries, Mr. House, Fiends, and more, some of which you can join and become apart of. There are tons of references to the original Fallout games, lots of new creatures (several of which return from early Fallout games like the Gecko), new weapons, new perks, new recipies can be made on a campfire or a workbench now, and you can use a reloading bench to recycle ammo, or convert ammo types. There are also A LOT of minor tweaks and welcome additions to the Fallout 3 formula, such as new interface and commands for companions, gambling, weapon mods, all the weapons now have iron sights in first person (bravo), weapon repair kits, a new hardcore mode where you have to monitor food, water, and sleep- are just a few of the additions. The writing and dialog in the game has a more mature nature and emphasis on dark humor this time, and the quests are never repetitive, they are exciting and quite amusing at times: definitely the best part about New Vegas. This is another extremely long single player experience and will most likely take people over 100 hours to see everything in the game, not to mention the immense replay value this time around because of the many different vying factions, the quests with multiple outcomes, and different paths to follow all make New Vegas a great value to any fan of Fallout 3 or fallout in general- I just wish that there wasn't so many problems, and that the game used a new engine as the elder scrolls 4 engine is really starting to look dated. If it wasn't for the large amount of content and re-playability I would not consider this to be a stand alone game, rather an expansion pack for fallout 3. Fix the bugs Obsidian, and I would rate the game a 8 or 9/10 as I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3. Expand
  16. USG
    Nov 20, 2010
    New Vegas is very similar to Fallout 3, but not as good. There is a constant feel of "I've done stuff like that already" in this game. It lacks playability because of this. The radio is boring. The new features were not enough to save the game either. The world is less engaging than Fallout 3. Then there are the bugs, which makes me remove one star or two from the overall score. It wouldNew Vegas is very similar to Fallout 3, but not as good. There is a constant feel of "I've done stuff like that already" in this game. It lacks playability because of this. The radio is boring. The new features were not enough to save the game either. The world is less engaging than Fallout 3. Then there are the bugs, which makes me remove one star or two from the overall score. It would have worked much better as a cheaper add-on to Fallout 3. This being said, the most significant improvement is the difficulty. Expand
  17. Mar 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i loved fallout 3 and preordered this game and even to this day i play it because it is just that good but be warned this game has many bugs and will make you get angry at points for sure with the game freezing on you or faling through the ground and having to load from the last time you saved but if you look past the bugs and at the game itself and tough it out you will have a blast with this game because as i have said i have had it 4 a couple of months now and i still play it loads. now that i have warned you about the bad ill start talking about the good. first off there is way more to do in this game than in fallout 3 with more quests and many different ways to end the game and the map did get a little smaller but it still a massive area. Also there are many things that they improved on with this game from the previous game like actually being able to look down the sight of the gun being able to decide the fate of the wasteland and at the end instead of it always being the same ending it is different every time depending on whose side you pick regarding the main story line but they also added the fact that the main cities and groups fates at the end also differ depending on how you interacted with them. this game promises a good time as long as you are patient with it and is a must buy Expand
  18. Oct 19, 2010
    This game is amazing if you love fallout 3 , you'll love New:Vegas there's a lot of things that looks like an expansion of Fallout 3 but... Who cares?, i have been playing the game since 4 days ago i'm level 16 (of 30) with 25 hours of play. do you want a Realy Big and Amazing Game? Fallout : New Vegas is the King.
  19. Oct 19, 2010
    Amazing, great writing and a massive world to explore. While its just a 100 hr expansion to fallout 3, thats not a bad thing at all. However, it DOES NOT fix any of the bugs. If you loved fallout 3, you'll love this.
  20. Oct 21, 2010
    I was extremely excited for this game. I loved Fallout 3, and this game gets a HUGE bump for several things, such as increased depth using Hardcore mode and tribes.

However, this game is FULL of issues that irritated me about the first game, but, thanks to a mostly similar experience/game it feels tired and ridiculous. Split second freezes, longer freezes, restarts, and other lame bugs, in addition to an ending to the main quest that ends the game (This one feels 100% as though they figured out they could sell you a $10 DLC to keep playing). This game is a slightly updated version of Fallout 3, with all the same bugs and issues that made Fallout 3 not a 10. And it has been two years.

Again, I really wanted to view this game as a "10" but I feel like I bought a $20 DLC for $60 (same game, same bugs, same letdowns, new story).

The good news is Fallout 3 GOTY bugs have been mostly worked out, and you can play that.
  21. Oct 25, 2010
    First of all, this review is based on my experience playing this game. I will base this on three categories, Story, Game play, and Graphics. They will be rated on a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Depending on the overall quality and how it affects the enjoyment of the game. When it came to Fallout 3, it was groundbreaking, intuitive and overall a huge step up from other fallout games.First of all, this review is based on my experience playing this game. I will base this on three categories, Story, Game play, and Graphics. They will be rated on a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Depending on the overall quality and how it affects the enjoyment of the game. When it came to Fallout 3, it was groundbreaking, intuitive and overall a huge step up from other fallout games. Bethesda did a really good job. But now the adventure goes to the Mojave Wasteland in Fallout New Vegas. Will the sequel to the popular RPG stand up on it's own feet, or does it flop?

STORY: For those who don't know, Fallout New Vegas is a shooter role playing game with an apocalyptic feel to it all. The whole history is there. In 2077, mankind blew up the whole world with nuclear warfare. (Yes, this game is in the future) Amidst all this carnage, mankind was able to persevere and start rebuilding life in a nuclear hellhole. You are a courier, someone who delivers packages from point a to point b. Your job was to deliver a package to New Vegas, a city completely unharmed from the nuclear fire. Unfortunately, things don't go as planned. You are attacked on the way there. A man named Benny, and a group of un-friendlies stole your package, and shot you in the forehead. And that's how your story BEGINS. (Not the greatest way to begin a story, but it's original, i'll give it that much.) Now you are fully recovered and out for revenge; to kill Benny and deliver the package. The story was very well done, with twists in the plots that weren't predictable. It really contributed to the game to me. Thumbs Up. Game play: Remember the game play mechanics from Fallout 3? You will certainly recognize them in New Vegas. All of your mechanics from Fallout 3 are in this game from weapon/armor conditions and repairs, to how you get around using the fast-travel system. The biggest change? Hardcore mode. This really puts a spin on survival. Hardcore mode adds a few extra perks to the game play, the biggest of which is the Hydration, Food and sleep bars. you need to stay hydrated, eat food and sleep, or else you'll gain penalties and overall perish. Ammo has weight (Which kills me more than lack of water), and you can't fast travel if you don't have enough water and food to get there. Oh yeah, and stimpacks no longer heal instantly, so you have to be sure you're ready to fight and not depend on needles. It adds a great perk to this game. Unfortunately, Fallout New Vegas has problems too. While i played the game, i came across multiple times when it would freeze to finish loading a new part of the world, and even more times when the game just... froze. Just stopped working in general, which is a total pain in the neck when you are traveling. Also, the sound effects can be delayed for a second or two from time to time. Hardcore mode was a definite plus to this game, but the number of bugs in this game is so substantial, that it really takes away from the game. If only they took more time to fix them. I would happily wait another month for a more polished game. Thumbs Down.

Graphics: Guess what. Fallout New Vegas has the exact same graphics as Fallout 3. I'm not saying that's not really a bad thing. The graphics in Fallout 3 were just fine, so i'm not complaining that the graphics are bad. I'm just pointing out the fact that after a year and a half, it makes no sense not to upgrade the graphics. The hard ware was there. And the characters? They are better, which is a nice change from Fallout 3. I gotta admit, even though the graphics are outdated, it didn't hurt the overall feel of the game. So it doesn't affect my rating. Thumbs up. OVERALL: Fallout New Vegas is a great sequel that stands up on it's own feet. Although the game has many bugs, it's nothing the developer team can't fix with an update or two. When it comes down to the overall look and feel of the game, why fix what isn't broken?

Some people call Fallout New Vegas an add-on to Fallout 3 in a box, some call it a broken beta. and to those people i ask this question. Why are you complaining about a sequel that plays like the original, or has some bugs? It's still a great game that is worth the money.
  22. Oct 25, 2010
    A dozen hours into the game, New Vegas contains no significant improvements over Fallout 3. In fact it plays like it was just another generic expansion pack. Same old glitchy engine full of long load times and vast boring brown terrain to explore, same old steal-items-and-sell-them-back-to-stores, kill-a-billion-ants-to-level-up sandbox gameplay. Some novel improvements would have includedA dozen hours into the game, New Vegas contains no significant improvements over Fallout 3. In fact it plays like it was just another generic expansion pack. Same old glitchy engine full of long load times and vast boring brown terrain to explore, same old steal-items-and-sell-them-back-to-stores, kill-a-billion-ants-to-level-up sandbox gameplay. Some novel improvements would have included multiplayer modes, vehicles, more engaging environments, improvement to the combat mechanics, a deeper character creation system... sadly, none of these were even attempted. I would only recommend the title to someone who completed Fallout 3 Game of The Year Edition. New Vegas was immensely overhyped. Expand
  23. Nov 24, 2010
    This game would have been great if they had taken the Fallout 3 graphics and physics engine and re-used them with the new environment, despite the older technology. I played until I got to new vegas and a little past. The glitchy graphics were annoying but tolerable. But the constant crashing was just unacceptable. I mean once a night on average, half of the time completely locking upThis game would have been great if they had taken the Fallout 3 graphics and physics engine and re-used them with the new environment, despite the older technology. I played until I got to new vegas and a little past. The glitchy graphics were annoying but tolerable. But the constant crashing was just unacceptable. I mean once a night on average, half of the time completely locking up my PS3. Otherwise the game would have earned a solid 8 or 9. Expand
  24. Aug 6, 2011
    Fallout 3 sucked. It was inaccurate story wise, and the only thing that I liked about it was the radio. Fallout: New Vegas, however, is an actual Fallout game. Because for one it's relevant to the story of the first 2 games, and it gives you a lot of choices. Another improvement on this game from 3 is that there's more than 20 quests this time around! Fallout: New Vegas is, unlike FalloutFallout 3 sucked. It was inaccurate story wise, and the only thing that I liked about it was the radio. Fallout: New Vegas, however, is an actual Fallout game. Because for one it's relevant to the story of the first 2 games, and it gives you a lot of choices. Another improvement on this game from 3 is that there's more than 20 quests this time around! Fallout: New Vegas is, unlike Fallout 3, a RPG. Expand
  25. Oct 14, 2012
    I love this game. Unlike Fallout: 3 there are more factions to choose. I personally liked the storyline, and all of the different endings. I was disappointed at the DLC. Otherwise this game is perfect.
  26. Oct 20, 2010
    At first I was disappointed in the game, But after playing through it for a few hours it starts to get better. This game is a 10/10 simply just for the story, Bugs and graphics aside.
  27. Oct 23, 2010
    Dear Bethseda,

I fell in love with Fallout 3 and had high hopes and expectations for this newest journey into the atomic wastelands, so I hope you won't fault this fan for docking a point after four days of gameplay with a few frustrations. I love the familiar feel and play that I experienced in Fallout 3, but I agree with my fellow reviewers and critics and am hoping that you will work
    Dear Bethseda,

I love the familiar feel and play that I experienced in Fallout 3, but I agree with my fellow reviewers and critics and am hoping that you will work feverishly to make some second half adjustments to some seemingly minor irritations and bugs.

First, we spend a lot of time hauling ass over the Wastelands. Is it too much to ask for some radio variety? Just sayin'. Second, there have been some very odd bugs and freezes (I'm on the PS3 version). I had one game freeze where I had to reboot the entire system. Thankfully the ingame save system does a decent job and I wasn't too far away from where it froze.

I LOVE the new creatures (damn you, geckos!) and the characters I've met so far are interesting and engaging. The Nightkins freaked me out pretty good. Nice.

All this said, I haven't even reached The Strip yet, so I'm still pretty excited about the possibilities.

Will you be fixing some things? Will there be patches? Sincerely,

A fan
  28. Oct 23, 2010
    As a big fan of fallout 3, i was somewhat suprised to see the negative reviews that Fallout nv recieved upon release. However, despite the fact that many critics and fans alike have labelled the graphics engine of new vegas as outdated, and the fact that many people have said that this is more like an expanison of fallout 3 than a new game, i bought the game. After 15 hours of gameplayAs a big fan of fallout 3, i was somewhat suprised to see the negative reviews that Fallout nv recieved upon release. However, despite the fact that many critics and fans alike have labelled the graphics engine of new vegas as outdated, and the fact that many people have said that this is more like an expanison of fallout 3 than a new game, i bought the game. After 15 hours of gameplay can say that this truly is a fantastic game, a far more rewarding experience than F3 (which is saying something). The inclusion of factions is a revelation, the new combat system (iron sights in particular) is great, hardcore mode is unforgiving, and the overall depth of the storyline/world as a whole is amazing. Forget all the talk about glitches and outdated graphics, in a world of 10-hour single player games fallout new vegas is more than just a game, it is an incredible, immersive experience, a world of unexpected twists and turns in which the minor 'glitches' fade into oblvivion in the face of what is a truly great achievment in gaming. A must have on the shelves of gamers. Expand
  29. May 20, 2011
    This is a great game... until it crashes. And it crashes a lot. There are a few glitches around the place which should have been ironed out, but I can deal with those. When the game locks up though and requires a hard reset of the console, it really is impacting upon the playing experience. The game was still a lot of though and did keep me coming back until I finished it. The experienceThis is a great game... until it crashes. And it crashes a lot. There are a few glitches around the place which should have been ironed out, but I can deal with those. When the game locks up though and requires a hard reset of the console, it really is impacting upon the playing experience. The game was still a lot of though and did keep me coming back until I finished it. The experience was tainted though and I don't see myself ever revisiting New Vegas in the future. Bad memories of an obsessive saving regime. Expand
  30. Nov 3, 2010
    In spite of being rather familiar, Fallout New Vegas provides steady improvements that make an experience that whilst unreasonably buggy at times-manages to retain all the love that fallout 3 had carried. This isn't up to Fallout 3's standars but provides enough reason for any fan who wants to break the ban in all the casinos that new vegas offers.
  31. Oct 21, 2010
    You have to like Fallout 3 to enjoy New Vegas. It is VERY similar with no BIG changes. Its a great game, it just needed some polishing in regards to bugs, glitches and lag. Hopefully an update comes out to smooth out the wrinkles and calm everyone down. Its just such a big world with so much going on. This is one of the best games out for your money. (Considering a lot of games coming outYou have to like Fallout 3 to enjoy New Vegas. It is VERY similar with no BIG changes. Its a great game, it just needed some polishing in regards to bugs, glitches and lag. Hopefully an update comes out to smooth out the wrinkles and calm everyone down. Its just such a big world with so much going on. This is one of the best games out for your money. (Considering a lot of games coming out now will only give you about 6-10 hours of single player game time for the same price.) Its an RPG Shooter and its Great!! Expand
  32. Dec 15, 2010
    First of all, screw all the the users that take the bugs and use them as a reason for such a low score. If any of you understand how difficult it is to code and design such a massive game as fallout and still have everything work at the end of the day, then you know this game deserves rave reviews. Old engine: check, slightly glitchy: check, rather incredible in terms of fun + humor + wellFirst of all, screw all the the users that take the bugs and use them as a reason for such a low score. If any of you understand how difficult it is to code and design such a massive game as fallout and still have everything work at the end of the day, then you know this game deserves rave reviews. Old engine: check, slightly glitchy: check, rather incredible in terms of fun + humor + well written/developed plot: check. Straight up, the glitches are the only thing holding out my 10, too bag they didn't get a little more time to work them out before the game went gold. Buy it and enjoy the near endless hours of badassery. Expand
  33. Oct 20, 2010
    An almost exceptional game. If you take out the few bugs and frame rate freeze, the game is a good play. Bethesda/Obsidian are addressing those problems as we speak and should have some patches released soon. I relate the game to riding a bicycle, once you do it, you never forget. The gameplay is fairly identical to FO3, but there is the addition to aim down the sights for betterAn almost exceptional game. If you take out the few bugs and frame rate freeze, the game is a good play. Bethesda/Obsidian are addressing those problems as we speak and should have some patches released soon. I relate the game to riding a bicycle, once you do it, you never forget. The gameplay is fairly identical to FO3, but there is the addition to aim down the sights for better aiming accuracy. The voice acting is quite refreshing as it does not sound rehearsed. Overall I would recommend adding the game to your library. Expand
  34. Oct 27, 2010
    This is a really good game. People who are giving this a low rating because of stability issues and bugs need to be shot in the head. If you're console is connected to the Internet, you will be able to recieve the patches that will be soon coming to fix all of these issues! The gameplay is astounding and the Hardcore mode adds a whole new challenge on the 'survival of the wasteland'This is a really good game. People who are giving this a low rating because of stability issues and bugs need to be shot in the head. If you're console is connected to the Internet, you will be able to recieve the patches that will be soon coming to fix all of these issues! The gameplay is astounding and the Hardcore mode adds a whole new challenge on the 'survival of the wasteland' aspect. If you liked Fallout 3, you will LOVE Fallout: New Vegas. Expand
  35. Dec 23, 2010
    I played fallout 3 and I had a blast playing it. When Vegas came out I was quick to pick it up. The game is fun but there are a million bugs and slow points in the story. I am about half way done and it is getting bored.
  36. Nov 11, 2010
    Fallout new vegas is fun and intriguing reinvention of of its predeccesor FO3 set in the Mojave, side quests, main story quests, gambling, caravan, combat, warring factions with different feelings towards you(depending how you are with them), exploration and the revamped traits/perks are all very good. Why only a 7 you might ask? The main reason why it does not warrant an 8-10 is down toFallout new vegas is fun and intriguing reinvention of of its predeccesor FO3 set in the Mojave, side quests, main story quests, gambling, caravan, combat, warring factions with different feelings towards you(depending how you are with them), exploration and the revamped traits/perks are all very good. Why only a 7 you might ask? The main reason why it does not warrant an 8-10 is down to the poor QA testing, the same flaws that came up in FO3 when the add-on packs were added like the run/pause/run irritation is back in which makes for a choppy trip. The perpetual crashing at any given point is enough to frustrate even the most patient of players, thankgod for the autosave feature when entering/exiting a room these sort of bugs that bethesda should have learnt to deal with from FO3! not leave these things in and hope for the best other known glitches include reloading after having a limb crippled and ending up limping all over the place even if you went toa doctor and had the limb repaired despite not actually needing it! It are these niggles and many others which i don't feel to mention which bring this game down a peg or two, these faults shoud have easily been addressed at the teseting stage even something as blatant as the run/pause/run I can only hope that bethesda hire better QA testers in the future to help protect and improve an impressive, emersive, compelling and compulsive exeperience. Expand
  37. Apr 12, 2011
    This is not a new Fallout game. I would call this more of an expansion to fallout 3. Hell I think this would barely pass as a DLC. It's crazy that a company would think this game was ok to be released. Fixing games with DLC should not become the rule.
  38. Nov 28, 2010
    Whatever bugs or flaws were in Fallout 3 they didn't really bother me. In Fallout New Vegas however, the freezing and bugs are plentiful and extremely annoying. This game should not have been released in it's current state. I guess they're working on a patch now, but they really should finish testing the next game prior to it's release date.

The graphics are slightly better and the

The graphics are slightly better and the game is much more enjoyable despite all of the problems.
  39. Jan 10, 2012
    Its a true shame that New Vegas will go down in gaming history as one of the buggiest, system crashing titles of all time. Even a year later after the "master patch" the game is still riddled with graphical oddities and the occasional system crashing moment. However, if you look past the obvious flaws there is a truly remarkable game that beats its predeccesor on almost every count. NewIts a true shame that New Vegas will go down in gaming history as one of the buggiest, system crashing titles of all time. Even a year later after the "master patch" the game is still riddled with graphical oddities and the occasional system crashing moment. However, if you look past the obvious flaws there is a truly remarkable game that beats its predeccesor on almost every count. New Vegas is huge with an engaging story and colorful cast of characters and so many side missions its impossible to see everything in a single playthrough. Unlike other titles out there the morality system is really at the centre and has serious consequences fo how the game is played and the final outcome. All in all it is a great game that can easily eat several days of your life. If anything the game was probably a bit too ambitious with all the interlinking factions and potential story lines - if bethesda / obsidian want to attempt another game with the same expanse they will need to develop a new engine Expand
  40. Nov 11, 2010
    The PC version seems to have graphical issues even when you are far above the minimum system specs. It's also loaded with bugs and a lot of those bugs interfere with base game-play like quests being canceled or failed because you can't continue them. The game simply has not been polished and it's seen in every thing from stability to character and quest issues. However with that being saidThe PC version seems to have graphical issues even when you are far above the minimum system specs. It's also loaded with bugs and a lot of those bugs interfere with base game-play like quests being canceled or failed because you can't continue them. The game simply has not been polished and it's seen in every thing from stability to character and quest issues. However with that being said I did enjoy Vegas quite a bit. Most the negative aspects of Vegas will be patched over time I'm sure. Expand
  41. Oct 21, 2010
    I didn't, like fallout 3, but i didn't, give it a chance. This game has sucked me in. It has some glitching and freezes but i don't even care. Once a patch comes out this game will be perfect. I think by not going through fallout 3, this feels like totally new experience to me. The course of the game is completely decided by the choices you make. Once you make it to vegas, it really getsI didn't, like fallout 3, but i didn't, give it a chance. This game has sucked me in. It has some glitching and freezes but i don't even care. Once a patch comes out this game will be perfect. I think by not going through fallout 3, this feels like totally new experience to me. The course of the game is completely decided by the choices you make. Once you make it to vegas, it really gets deep and the game opens up even more. I finally made it there and i can say is wow. The are so many places to go, and choices for me to make! It is rumored that the freezing of the game is caused by the DLC items that come with the game. I put them off to the side in a box and the game has not freezed since. 10/10, can wait for more DLC and the next installment of this game. Expand
  42. Oct 22, 2010
    Fallout New Vegas is a good game, but it's definitely not a perfect one. Building on Fallout 3 some good new ideas were added by Obsidian however constant freezes and familiar Fallout 3 bugs plague this gem. About 10 hours in I had gotten the bug where the gun does not stop shooting. Being able to mod weapons is probably one of the better new features although I would have liked to seeFallout New Vegas is a good game, but it's definitely not a perfect one. Building on Fallout 3 some good new ideas were added by Obsidian however constant freezes and familiar Fallout 3 bugs plague this gem. About 10 hours in I had gotten the bug where the gun does not stop shooting. Being able to mod weapons is probably one of the better new features although I would have liked to see more weapon mods in the game. Story is okay multiple choices make it a much more interesting way of playing the game. There is also a lot more to keep you occupied in New Vegas then Fallout 3 which is probably the biggest plus. All in all this is definitely a title worth owning even with the constant freezes it's certainly still playable and enjoyable. Expand
  43. Oct 20, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas is essentially an extension of Fallout 3. F3 happened to be a game I enjoyed immensely, so naturally I was really taken with New Vegas. The fighting design has improved and well...all the things that made F3 fun have improved. The story is also a little more entertaining than that of its predecessor. Those who were pleased with F3, should find plenty to like here. PlentyFallout: New Vegas is essentially an extension of Fallout 3. F3 happened to be a game I enjoyed immensely, so naturally I was really taken with New Vegas. The fighting design has improved and well...all the things that made F3 fun have improved. The story is also a little more entertaining than that of its predecessor. Those who were pleased with F3, should find plenty to like here. Plenty and more owing to the fact that the game is actually a bit larger in scope than that of F3.

I was fortunate to never experience glitches with F3 and with New Vegas, I have encountered minimal glitching. Like with any large game, it behooves one to save often.

The weapons and character creation are amongst some of the best improvements. In addition, the loading screens and times are done a great deal better than that of F3. At the same time, this game feels a hell of a lot like F3. In some places, however, it is a little more challenging. This is a game of discovery, and those who want a straightforward storyline that pushes them to the end need look elsewhere. However, those who enjoy being rewarded with hard work and who enjoyed F3, will not be dissapointed with this installment.
  44. Oct 20, 2010
    I have a love/hate relationship with Fallout:Vegas. Its fun and if you like Fallout 3 you will like New Vegas. Typical of other Bethesda products this game has a ton of bugs. That would be my only complaint. Otherwise I bought it because I like the Fallout universe and thats what this game delivers on. If you are a fan of fallout 3 get this game.
  45. Dec 28, 2010
    Fun game with bugs. I liked the expansion and hope they go much further with the series. I'd really like to see professions added to the game that way if you want to sandbox the game and play for a long time you could. The non-linearity and multiple paths to follow is a big draw for me. I'm giving it an 8 for a fun story and playstyle, it loses 1 for the bugs which are unfixed MONTHS afterFun game with bugs. I liked the expansion and hope they go much further with the series. I'd really like to see professions added to the game that way if you want to sandbox the game and play for a long time you could. The non-linearity and multiple paths to follow is a big draw for me. I'm giving it an 8 for a fun story and playstyle, it loses 1 for the bugs which are unfixed MONTHS after release and the desire for me depth in social development. Expand
  46. Oct 21, 2010
    I feel as though this game isn't getting the credit it deserves by some reviewers. Yeah there are some technical issues with the game... but people seem to forget that we live in a time where just about every game is in need of some form of patchwork along it's lifetime. Have any of you played a single game within the last few years that came straight off the shelves completely polishedI feel as though this game isn't getting the credit it deserves by some reviewers. Yeah there are some technical issues with the game... but people seem to forget that we live in a time where just about every game is in need of some form of patchwork along it's lifetime. Have any of you played a single game within the last few years that came straight off the shelves completely polished and in no need of some calibration?...didn't think so. Besides venting on that topic, New Vegas did exactly what I believe it should have done, be the sequel to arguably one one of the best games of 2008. I believe they have successfully built upon what made Fallout 3 so great without taking away anything to lessen the experience. Yeah, there are some minor issues with the game, one of those being the lock-ups... but just BE PATIENT! Bethesda has already announced that they are working on fixing these issues. On the positive, kudos to the developers for making the game even more immersible, the setting is truly gorgeous and I haven't even gone past the second town outside of where you start. For $60 bucks, you're not going to get much more bang for your buck, unless stress-inducing multiplayer shooters are your calling. Expand
  47. Oct 23, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas is cram packed with discovery, expanding (though some cringe at the word "expansion") on the free-roaming aspect of Fallout 3 and providing an even bigger overworld, densely populated with locations and mini-events that seamlessly guide you along the central quest if that's what you want, or in fact help you wander off with the same gentle hand. Though it isn't "easier"Fallout: New Vegas is cram packed with discovery, expanding (though some cringe at the word "expansion") on the free-roaming aspect of Fallout 3 and providing an even bigger overworld, densely populated with locations and mini-events that seamlessly guide you along the central quest if that's what you want, or in fact help you wander off with the same gentle hand. Though it isn't "easier" than Fallout 3, it is most certainly more interested in letting you find places and enjoy the story than it is with endangering your life - after 12 hours I have completed a single mission and discovered 50 locations along the various highways, which is still less than 25% of the world map. For run-and-gun fans the balance here far is far superior to Fallout 3, and for maximum difficulty RPG enthusiasts it's also quite brilliantly laid out. FO:NV has two problems only, and they are both technical and in fact the same complaints about Fallout 3: 1) a dated-looking graphics engine and 2) frequently freezes and load crashes. If you are willing to save through the menu option frequently, and can appreciate games like Minecraft which are compelling without being visually stunning, these technical issues are very forgivable. The act of discovery is incredibly satisfying. I am also, against all expectations, a huge fan of the new Hardcore mode: it is optional, and completely separate from difficulty, and should really be called "life mode" or "adventure mode" as it allows you to micro-manage your items and their usage in ways that make everything valuable as though your character is really you, moving from place to place. It makes every item interesting and worth its weight, which further helps you (me) appreciate what Obsidian has done with each adjacent location. Plus, with many more voice actors and a more contextual, area-restricted karma system, you can freely move from town to town and really enjoy the differences, no stress about your behavior. New Vegas is about discovery. It's excellent. Expand
  48. Oct 24, 2010
    This is what games should be like. This is a mature game, for those that really want to invest in a game and immerse in the storyline. If you're looking for an on-rails shooter just let this game go and go buy one of the 99% of boring same games out there.

The storyline sucks you in and is much more loyal to the 2 first amazing fallout games. Sure the graphics are dated, and there are the occasional bugs, but the game is challenging (especially in hardcore mode) interesting and keeps you coming for more.

And finally it's an RPG whose storyline is not: The end is coming (the blight, the horde, the dark forces or whatever) and you're the one who has to stop it...There's an original story with much more complex and interesting elements.

If what I mentioned above is what you're looking for in a game, go get it RIGHT NOW
  49. Oct 25, 2010
    (HUGE HINT. TO DRASTICALLY DECREASE IF NOT COMPLETELY STOP THE FREEZE UPS, SIMPLY TURN ALL MUSIC OFF, INCLUDING MUSIC FROM YOUR PIT-BOY)....... Review - Using very similar features from the earlier fallout games, and creating once again an outstanding quest list, Fallout New Vegas is no doubt the complete Fallout package. Aside from the ocasional technical issues that will occur throughout(HUGE HINT. TO DRASTICALLY DECREASE IF NOT COMPLETELY STOP THE FREEZE UPS, SIMPLY TURN ALL MUSIC OFF, INCLUDING MUSIC FROM YOUR PIT-BOY)....... Review - Using very similar features from the earlier fallout games, and creating once again an outstanding quest list, Fallout New Vegas is no doubt the complete Fallout package. Aside from the ocasional technical issues that will occur throughout the game, improvements can surprisingly be noticed in the waisland itself, being that it is far much more well-balanced and organized, [Example, no more vicious and unexpected attacks from a deathclaw]. If you haven't play the earlier Fallout games, then I'd suggest renting New Vegas temporarily, but if you enjoy single-player RPG's including Fallout 3 and Oblivion, then I would highly recommend purchasing New Vegas, -Christopher Smith Expand
  50. Oct 26, 2010
    I don't understand the bad press for this release. It has never been touted as Fallout 4 so why the harsh criticism just because it looks almost identical to Fallout 3?

I bought this for the Xbox 360 (I normally lean towards the PS3) as I read that it was less glitchy and had slightly better graphics. Having only played it on the one system (Xbox) I can't compare ... ... but from my

... but from my experience so far (I'm 30 hours in) it has been excellent. I've had just one freeze up during a safe hack. The game has been smooth, graphically (marginally) better than FO3, sound is fantastic, voice acting as always spot on, lots to do, adult humour and themed, moments of tension with the illusion of solitude/loneliness perfectly replicated in a graphical virtual world. That's what I expect for £40.

If I'm honest, I wasn't keen on Fallout 3 and even though this does look (almost) identical, New Vegas feels like a better game. Is this feeling simply psychological? Either way, I think the game is a SOLID 9 (glitches/bugs and all). There is a huge amount to do and and with the amount of depth and layers this game has, you have to expect problems. Like the rest of us, I want my gaming experience to be perfect (hence the point loss cos New Vegas isn't perfect). If you're looking for a game that offers more than shoot, reload, shot, reload, dead, re-spawn, shoot, reload, fade to black ... then Fallout New Vegas is for you. Be warned, it will take many, many hours/days to complete this game and it has great replay value.
  51. Oct 26, 2010
    The writing, world design, quest design are all vastly superior to fallout 3. This motivations of the characters and factions make much more sense, as do the economies, lifestyles and politics of the world. There is less emphasis on exploration, looting and combat than in Fallout 3, so if those were favorite parts of that game you might not like this one as much; if you're moreThe writing, world design, quest design are all vastly superior to fallout 3. This motivations of the characters and factions make much more sense, as do the economies, lifestyles and politics of the world. There is less emphasis on exploration, looting and combat than in Fallout 3, so if those were favorite parts of that game you might not like this one as much; if you're more interested in interacting with the people and factions of the world, and developing your character this one is the much better choice (and more similar to the original fallout games).

The game does crash fairly often, but so does fallout 3; in my experience it hasn't been any worse than Fallout 3 in this regard and most people seemed to be ok with the technical issues of that game. The auto-save feature prevents the crashes from causing you to lose significant time. There are some other occasional weird bugs related to the game engine that were also present in Fallout 3, but nothing major. If you like the game the various technical are mostly a minor annoyance and made up for by the overall quality of the rest of the game.
  52. Oct 26, 2010
    Fallout: New Vegas, looks and plays exactly the same as Fallout 3. Is that a bad thing?, well not exactly. Why change a thing that works so well and plays beautifully? Fallout Vegas, like Fallout 3 has the Vats, which is what made the former so darn fun! The additions that Obsidian have made push the survival angle even further to provide a much more immersive and authentic experience,Fallout: New Vegas, looks and plays exactly the same as Fallout 3. Is that a bad thing?, well not exactly. Why change a thing that works so well and plays beautifully? Fallout Vegas, like Fallout 3 has the Vats, which is what made the former so darn fun! The additions that Obsidian have made push the survival angle even further to provide a much more immersive and authentic experience, and just like its predecessor New Vegas proves to be a role-playing genius. The game will take you HOURS and HOURS to obtain and complete everything there is to be had in a game. However, the game is riddled of bugs, glitches, and some glitches I ran into during my initial 40 hour gameplay experience DELETED my game saves/corruped it! Come to find out this is not at all uncommon, so be sure to have a memory stick to back up your HD save! It is too bad Obsidian did not learn from the folly of glitches of Fallout 3, which were also numerous. In this day in age games being put out with so many issues and bugs should never happen, but this has become a trend. However, I digress, Fallout Vegas starts off a different than 3, you are not an infant born in Vault, however the story starts off just as interesting and entertaining-and I won't spoil it either. The summary: Graphics-8 Same as fallout 3, not perfect, but still gorgeous in their own right. The facial animations are great w/ most characters but not each character seems to have the same polish the models/movements wont be winning any contests, oh, and the third person view of your character is still not good, walking on ice, the surrondings/environments are always fun to explore-despite the same color pallete; the only real set back are the bizzare glitches, missing heads, etc. from time to time. Sound: the voice acting is TOP notch, just as fallout 3. The music helps create the atmosphere, the radio stations however repeat way too often-bummer.
    Gameplay (most important in my mind): 9. Ok, like fallout 3 in most ways. You can kill in first person shooter and use VATS-awesome-removing heads never looked so good. The deep leveling system intact-which is what really helps make this game so great.
    Lasting Appeal: VERY HIGH. this game will take your HOURS; especially if you are into trophys/achievements. Final Word: Great game, very very fun, deep leveling and Vats system really make the game. The big issues are the glitches/bugs/crashes that should not happen in a game in this day in age (however the size of this game may make why there was less polish, but still no excuses). The only other complaint I had was maybe it was too much like fallout 3-at times I felt like I was playing the GREAT game, fallout 3 and just a large DLC. Also knowing there will be a ton of DLC I have thought maybe I should have waited and got the Edition they will most def put out that includes the DLC they are working on... HMM. oh well, I'm still loving it, but the more polish, less bugs, and some more additions/changes from fallout 3 would have made this a perfect 10 in my book, but because of those issues-8.5
  53. Oct 28, 2010
    As a fan of the entire genre that open world gameplay has become and as a hardcore gaming enthusiast I love this game. True, it is no technical leap above fallout 3, but what it lacks in shiny graphics it makes up for in the improvements in gameplay. The true iron sights make first person the way to play fallout now, I was never a huge fan of the third person perspective coming fromAs a fan of the entire genre that open world gameplay has become and as a hardcore gaming enthusiast I love this game. True, it is no technical leap above fallout 3, but what it lacks in shiny graphics it makes up for in the improvements in gameplay. The true iron sights make first person the way to play fallout now, I was never a huge fan of the third person perspective coming from Morrowind, the first person feels far more natural for a Bethesda game. Playing in first person also makes it easier to overlook the sometimes jerky, unnatural character motion that comes from running an old engine in a large world. The biggest improvement in my opinion though has to be the hardcore mode, with the need to hydrate yourself and eat (not always safe in an irradiated environment) the challenge level increases dramatically while providing a much more engrossing experience. Upping the difficulty in Bethesda games has never been rewarding (and still isn't) as your receive no additional reward for killing enemies and the extra challenge it provides feels cheap, especially due to the fact whenever you wish you can turn it down instead of tackling it head on.

Hardcore is the perfect answer for this and gives its own rewards for sticking with it. The biggest flaw with the game by far is the bugs, and while this is unacceptable for some, in todays day and age games can be patched and when playing in a massive open world environment it is sometimes hard to find every little glitch.

This will still be unacceptable for some and sound like a poor excuse made up to justify a glaring problem but Oblivion was also very buggy on release yet still critically revered. The bugs and occasional crashes do not make the game unplayable, they are just a slight annoyance, if you hadn't read any reviews criticizing them, many would be easy to overlook.

For fans of old school Fallout you should love the dark humour and some of the story elements, the sex and quirky economy of the new world is back in force, New Vegas lives and breathes in a way that Fallout 3 didn't, the game is no longer drab and bleak, it is entertaining yet still quite dangerous and morbid. For those expecting a complete remake of Fallout 3, or the next game in the series, they may be disappointed to find that is aesthetically the same, but the improvements are there and it is a game that rewards you for sticking with it. Highly recommended for fans of Fallout 3 and Farcry 2, this game will definitely grow on people, for all its flaws it has plenty more redeeming features. It would be nice in future instalments of the series to see the realism factor carried further, but as it stands it is a fantastic game, only limited by a dated (yet solid) engine and over-ambition.

Not a flawed gem, rather a gem with a few superficial scratches on it.
  54. Feb 27, 2011
    I don't believe that this game is too broken. The only times it would freeze would be when i would play it for hours straight. I was dissapointed in the story and the bugs and all, but the gunplay was amazing. I say this is worth getting just because of all the mystery that can be found. I honestly think that Bethesda should've made this, instead of Obsidian, because they are inexperiencedI don't believe that this game is too broken. The only times it would freeze would be when i would play it for hours straight. I was dissapointed in the story and the bugs and all, but the gunplay was amazing. I say this is worth getting just because of all the mystery that can be found. I honestly think that Bethesda should've made this, instead of Obsidian, because they are inexperienced with the engine. Expand
  55. Nov 17, 2010
    I like all of the new features in the game. They basically made a new map from and story line using all of the good features from fallout 3 and then added some more stuff. The game has so many different ways to complete each mission, so many different factions , and the graphics look a lot better. This game is getting a positive review for sure from me. My only COMPLAINT is that the map isI like all of the new features in the game. They basically made a new map from and story line using all of the good features from fallout 3 and then added some more stuff. The game has so many different ways to complete each mission, so many different factions , and the graphics look a lot better. This game is getting a positive review for sure from me. My only COMPLAINT is that the map is smaller than that of fallout 3 and there are a lot of bugs that should have been BETA tested out. Expand
  56. Nov 17, 2010
    If you liked Fallout 3, you'll like Fallout NV as it's the same type of game with a different story and some nice additions. Unfortunately, it can't get a score as high as it's predecessor because there are too many bugs that freezes the game. I'm playing Hardcore mode and it's a great way to think a little bit more before charging the enemy. I still love VATS and the universe where youIf you liked Fallout 3, you'll like Fallout NV as it's the same type of game with a different story and some nice additions. Unfortunately, it can't get a score as high as it's predecessor because there are too many bugs that freezes the game. I'm playing Hardcore mode and it's a great way to think a little bit more before charging the enemy. I still love VATS and the universe where you walk alone on the wasteland in search of friend/foes and caps! Expand
  57. Nov 27, 2010
    if you are a true fan to any rpg or fallout game you must get this game. and if you can weeve through the first 10 to 13 hours of playing then you will enter an amazing and expansive world well worth the money. it's big exciting with several new addtions that will make you want to play it again and again
  58. Nov 29, 2010
    It's a new day, and a new world, and Fallout is on the rise. The follow up to Bethesda's monster of a hit, Fallout 3, Vegas leaves you salivating for more. There's a glitch here and there, but they've done the right thing and released several patches for the PC and consoles already. More are on the way, but don't worry, there's no game wrecking bugs here that will kill your entireIt's a new day, and a new world, and Fallout is on the rise. The follow up to Bethesda's monster of a hit, Fallout 3, Vegas leaves you salivating for more. There's a glitch here and there, but they've done the right thing and released several patches for the PC and consoles already. More are on the way, but don't worry, there's no game wrecking bugs here that will kill your entire experience. If you can't handle a little polygonal head twitching, some slow frames ever 100th hour, or a door that locks up on you on occasion you might want to look elsewhere. Overall Vegas is a treat and far better to take a trip to than the real life modern day counterpart. You probably know about the game since you're thumbing through reviews, I'll simply try to touch on the sweet spots and new additions. Vegas starts with a bang and ends with one, the main quest is so engaging and so seamslessly integrated into the whole you may not even realize your actions are contributing to the main thread while you toil away at leveling up and killing abominations of the wasteland. New modes add weight to ammo, dehydration, the need for food and rest. Iron Sights have been added to let you manually aim all the guns, and this is where the real tweaks begin. While it's still possible to kill everything you come across like a V.A.T.S action robot, it's not nearly as integral to the core mechanic. I am not a FPS player, but I find myself dividing my time between manually aiming or slashing, and entering VATS for some "bullet time." Not only that but this really hits character creation in a big way. This time around the character you develop is more heavily defined by their purpose and initial stats. Oh my gosh! It's like ROLE playing! Seriously, by the end of Fallout 3 you could max out nearly every stat. If you started your character as a sci-fi nerd who could wield one handed laser pistols while disarming the HAL 5000 it didn't matter. In that game, when you finished you were good at everything, a little too good. Right now, without DLC, it's not possible to craft a character like that and it forces you to choose your build wisely. As Obsidian developers who worked on the very first Fallout(s) for the PC their signature has blended flawlessly with Bethesda's spin. They embraced the world that Bethesda created but have put their stamp on it. Speech skills are back and in more of a subtle way than before, it's more important than lockpick or hacking this time around! It makes the game fun and there's lots of conversations that tie your speech success to your skills in the wild, science, and bartering. You can't gamble on these conversations like you could in F3, you must have the required skill. It's a great reward system for the character you're building and rarely do conversation paths completely vanish without giving you the opportunity to come back for some sweet talking. As a throwback to their older games Obsidian puts in cheeky comments in place of the "SUCCESS" talking points when you're going to fail. There's some other great features chalked in here like a fun gambling element at both the Casino's and a local game called "Caravan" that some of the gun runners and merchants of the world play in lieu of the house odds on the strip. Obsidian has also added depth into the NPCs of the world. Strangers still seem like worthless meat sacks you could bludgeon with the object of your choosing. There are some people though that you can get attached to, get a sense of their background and pull you in to their relationships. The companions are FAR more robust this time around and serve a purpose besides therapeutic couch sessions on the road: they offer perks that add to your repertoire and are only available as long as that companion is with you. Overall this game is a masterpiece, if they fix the experience which is already smoother than Fallout 3 I'll come back and nudge this one up to a 10. I've completed the main quest with one character, and now I'm 2/3 through my second at around 200 shameful hours of lost productivity and "sick days." Grab this one, you won't regret it. Expand
  59. Dec 25, 2010
    The title surprised over time. I was expecting more of the same, but eventually I came to realize that this title is even more essential. However we lose some of the sense of fighting for survive and get along with many companions, the pleasure you got after the first moments never stops. This installment is also more non-linear than the antecessor, because you can spend all the time youThe title surprised over time. I was expecting more of the same, but eventually I came to realize that this title is even more essential. However we lose some of the sense of fighting for survive and get along with many companions, the pleasure you got after the first moments never stops. This installment is also more non-linear than the antecessor, because you can spend all the time you want making side-quests.
    By a negative view I add the many bugs, lags, glitches, etc which turns also down the game-play when that happens.
  60. Dec 16, 2010
    I like how the level cap has been raised to 30 (from 20 in Fallout 3), but you only get a perk every second level, so in effect it feels like it has been lowered to 15. Why would they, after receiving so much acclaim for getting a perk every level in Fallout 3, suddenly change it to every second level? The ps3 version is riddled with crash issues that strike without warning (the worst isI like how the level cap has been raised to 30 (from 20 in Fallout 3), but you only get a perk every second level, so in effect it feels like it has been lowered to 15. Why would they, after receiving so much acclaim for getting a perk every level in Fallout 3, suddenly change it to every second level? The ps3 version is riddled with crash issues that strike without warning (the worst is the 'infinite loading screen'). How Bethesda managed to let this fly with an engine they've been using since the Oblivion port at the launch of the ps3 is beyond me. There is also a lot of society in the world of New Vegas, so that feeling of 'alone in the wasteland' from Fallout 3 disappears pretty quickly. That said, there are a host of features that keep me coming back: The factions, the gambling, and the massive world. They also put back a lot of the weapons and silliness that could be found in Fallout 2, which totally completes the experience in my opinion, and will provide some nice nostalgia for those who have played the older Fallout games. Great game if you have the patience to persevere through the bugs and don't mind taking awesome perks at a slower rate than Fallout 3. Expand
  61. Jan 13, 2011
    The gameplay has Improved from Fallout 3 in every way. Aiming down scopes, a more interesting story with more meaningful moral dilemma's, a wider selection of equipment and enemies. So why has this game scored so much lower than fallout 3 you ask? Technical Failure. The graphics look MUCH worse than its predecessor, which is embarrassing for obsidian to say the least. combine that with theThe gameplay has Improved from Fallout 3 in every way. Aiming down scopes, a more interesting story with more meaningful moral dilemma's, a wider selection of equipment and enemies. So why has this game scored so much lower than fallout 3 you ask? Technical Failure. The graphics look MUCH worse than its predecessor, which is embarrassing for obsidian to say the least. combine that with the most glitches I have EVER seen in a retail game, and you get one hard to play game. If you don't mind chugging through game crashes, AI scripting glitches, and consistent lag, then you will find New Vegas to be an incredibly rewarding and deep game. It should have been delayed to 2011 and turned into a masterpiece. But unfortunately Bethesda wanted it out by Christmas. Thanks jerks. Expand
  62. Feb 10, 2011
    This game is great! But is very buggy and similar to fallout 3. I love this game purely because it's fun and a massive adventure but from a technical perspective it's behind the competition.
  63. Feb 13, 2011
    I bought the game to be back in the fallout universe... the game is fun and enjoyable. l've finished all the quest and now playing hardcore mode for the trophy. you will easily sink endless hours playing this game IF you are patient and tolerable with the endless amount of bugs. You would find more bugs in this game than in the amazon. Freezes, crashes, failure to load, drop in frame rate.I bought the game to be back in the fallout universe... the game is fun and enjoyable. l've finished all the quest and now playing hardcore mode for the trophy. you will easily sink endless hours playing this game IF you are patient and tolerable with the endless amount of bugs. You would find more bugs in this game than in the amazon. Freezes, crashes, failure to load, drop in frame rate. At least they patch some issues in the patches 1.01 and 1.02. But l suggest to wait till the price drops to buy this game. it's not worth anywhere the amount of money game store are requesting. As if you would buy a car that brakes on its own, horn goes on and off etc... for full price. Expand
  64. Feb 22, 2011
    This is by far one of the most in depth games i have ever played. It was engaging and enjoyable. Only downside is the glitching, but it is well worth working through that.
  65. Apr 5, 2011
    an astonishing game. infinitely better than the original fallout 3, the game is set years later and involves many "factions" that you can ally with and to challenges for.
    the plot is intriguing and ever changes depending on how you play the game.
    the plot is intriguing and ever changes depending on how you play the game.
    my favourite parts of the game include strange dialog options, long chain-quests, amazing character stats specialisation, the array of weaponry, the companions and the factions.
  66. Mar 13, 2011
    I love it. It's Fallout 3, only it's been "Oblivioned up". I felt I had a lot more freedom to choose my own path in New Vegas, and at times had up to ten quests to choose from. The landscape is much more varied than I had anticipated, some of the visuals are stunning. Don't believe me? Climb to the top of the rocks next to Caesar's supply drop and just look around. Stunning! TheI love it. It's Fallout 3, only it's been "Oblivioned up". I felt I had a lot more freedom to choose my own path in New Vegas, and at times had up to ten quests to choose from. The landscape is much more varied than I had anticipated, some of the visuals are stunning. Don't believe me? Climb to the top of the rocks next to Caesar's supply drop and just look around. Stunning! The interactions with other characters give you lots of options based on the type of character you are playing, and there is some pretty funny stuff in there...I decided to try before I bought the sexbot...ouch!
    Flower collection adds appeal for me. I rarely use them but I just love being able to interact with the scenery.
    The drawbacks which I have noticed are few and don't really bother me. The radio is slightly disappointing, not many songs and the DJ is certainly no Three Dog. Some of the songs are catchy though, I've caught myself whistling Heartaches by the Number at work a few times.
    There are a few glitches. The game freezes my console every now and then, which is annoying but I've usually got a save from not to far back. There are a couple of quests that didn't work out. One didn't disappear from my 'to-do' list even though I was finished and another one I fought four massive dogs in the arena (YES! There's an arena!) at Caesar's camp to win a stupid teddy bear for a girl called Melody, who now is nowhere to be found.
    Overall, I really enjoyed this and it has massive replay value due to the different paths you can take.
  67. Mar 14, 2011
    This game is a bug strewn mess, constantly freezing hundreds of miles from civilization with no hope of a nearby auto save. Though the game is a lot of fun and seems to have more immersive (until the game freezes) side quests than fallout three
  68. Jul 5, 2011
    frame rate issues are very significant the larger your save file becomes. i love the game but after putting 25 hours in it turns into a choppy mess. i was so excited about the iron sights and new scopes but i found myself forced into using vats due to the frame rate problems. don't buy this for ps3.
  69. May 4, 2011
    fallout new vegas is a copy of fallout 3 you may think this is good its not it has a bad story more bugs than fallout 3 my game froze dozens of times the world is not as good as fallout 3 side quest lack the atmosphere is the main bad thing about the game its just not as good as fallout 3 fallout new vegas has better dialogue than fallout 3 though i give fallout 3 10/10 fallout newfallout new vegas is a copy of fallout 3 you may think this is good its not it has a bad story more bugs than fallout 3 my game froze dozens of times the world is not as good as fallout 3 side quest lack the atmosphere is the main bad thing about the game its just not as good as fallout 3 fallout new vegas has better dialogue than fallout 3 though i give fallout 3 10/10 fallout new vegas 6/10 also why no end game play what gives Expand
  70. May 8, 2011
    This game is undoubtedly the best ps3 game i own. Maybe even the best i have ever had. It carries on everything perfect from fallout 3, and develops into an even better game. The story is one of morals, and the free will given to you throughout the game makes some unforgettable encounters. The addition of caesars legion is one of the best factions in fallout history, and the quests in theThis game is undoubtedly the best ps3 game i own. Maybe even the best i have ever had. It carries on everything perfect from fallout 3, and develops into an even better game. The story is one of morals, and the free will given to you throughout the game makes some unforgettable encounters. The addition of caesars legion is one of the best factions in fallout history, and the quests in the game make you come back for more. The faults do take away from the experience at times, and the fact they are using the same engine from oblivion which was out a few years ago is madness. But, this didnt take me away from the countless hours i have put into new vegas, and with the additon of the coming dlc, I can see myself coming back to new vegas allot. Gaming Gold! Expand
  71. May 11, 2011
    Well, as many have said before for various game reviews, I actually created an account to review this game because I couldn't believe the negative comments. While the game does have some bugs (it will crash from time to time), that doesn't stop it from being one of the most thoroughly enjoyable game experiences I've had. Your decisions matter (to the point where you'll fret over theWell, as many have said before for various game reviews, I actually created an account to review this game because I couldn't believe the negative comments. While the game does have some bugs (it will crash from time to time), that doesn't stop it from being one of the most thoroughly enjoyable game experiences I've had. Your decisions matter (to the point where you'll fret over the choices), the amount of content is unbelievable (weapons, quests, destinations, enemies, etc.) and the absurdity/humor is great. An improvement in every way on the very good Fallout 3, and that's saying something. Expand
  72. May 26, 2011
    Okay, fallout was a great game. It answered to a lot of fallout fans and newbies alike. But New Vegas? I have to ask why it wasn't just another DLC. Fun idea and lots of content, EXCEPT ever y new location is a one room dungeon. HELLO, I NOTICED Bethesda. We are all not retarded. So if you didn't get enough DLC for FO3, then play NV. If you were hoping for a new game you will be disappointed.
  73. Nov 6, 2011
    Before we begin. Yes this game is just a re-skin of fallout 3, yes it follows a highly predictable story that ends in a climactic battle and yes it lags freezes and glitches all the time. But non of that matters at all because you forget all about that and get engrossed in the first 2 minutes of play. It really does draw the characters importance and is an amazing game. Well worth theBefore we begin. Yes this game is just a re-skin of fallout 3, yes it follows a highly predictable story that ends in a climactic battle and yes it lags freezes and glitches all the time. But non of that matters at all because you forget all about that and get engrossed in the first 2 minutes of play. It really does draw the characters importance and is an amazing game. Well worth the money.

Here's a piece of consumer advice. You'll get the game, love it and play it. 20 minutes later when you die, and have to reload your save halfway across the Mojave, you'll want to snap the disc. Resist the urge and soldier on. Save often and explore! This game has 200 hours of play! Every minute is worth it!!!
  74. Jun 15, 2011
    Fallout New Vegas is a great game, no question.

First, the positive things about this game. + The mainstory is entertaining enough to tie you to your TV screen. Each character has his own way to talk. + The fighting system is well balanced. With the V.A.T.S it gets a strategic touch. The shootouts are very exciting. + The S.P.E.C.I.A.L system (your skillsystem) gives you the option to
    Fallout New Vegas is a great game, no question.

First, the positive things about this game.
    + The S.P.E.C.I.A.L system (your skillsystem) gives you the option to customize your character the way you want him/her to be.

Now the cons.
    - The graphics look lousy in comparision to other games and especially on the PS3 there is an awful lot of edge flickering!
    - The A.I. is non existant
    - Monotone environment
    - Many bugs and crashes
    - Many loading screens
  75. Jun 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game until you come to find that the game doesn't end as Fallout 3 with the DLCs, where you could continue playing the same player after you finish the main game. I really don't get this from the developers, it's just lazy and ridiculous. If you want to play any DLC you have to load a previous save file as if you have never finished the game. Freaking stupid. Expand
  76. Jul 5, 2012
    Fallout: New Vegas really is a game you need to get familiar with. At the start of the game, it may be difficult to figure out what to do, but once you start getting familiar with its mechanics, this game is absolutely fantastic. Some people claim it's just Skyrim with guns, but it's not; it is so much deeper than that. Quests are deeper, every character has his/her story, and your actionsFallout: New Vegas really is a game you need to get familiar with. At the start of the game, it may be difficult to figure out what to do, but once you start getting familiar with its mechanics, this game is absolutely fantastic. Some people claim it's just Skyrim with guns, but it's not; it is so much deeper than that. Quests are deeper, every character has his/her story, and your actions actually have consequences. If you like RPGs, you can easily lose yourself in this for hundreds of hours, and never get bored of it. Heck, there is a chance you won't even encounter the same location twice within that time. I've heard people say that it tends to crash and freeze, but in my time of playing I have had no trouble with that. It may be a bit hard to get into, but underneath its top layer, there are astounding amounts of gameplay to discover. A real diamond; once you work through its top layer, it's a true gem. Expand
  77. Sep 14, 2011
    Fallout New Vegas shuns its predecessor, Fallout 3, in many ways. However, it tumbles in other ways, making just even with Bethesda's relaunch of the 90's franchise. The latest release from the people who oversaw the games early success in the 90's brings us an alternative remake of what should have been Fallout's third outing. New Vegas may only be set in only one of the four statesFallout New Vegas shuns its predecessor, Fallout 3, in many ways. However, it tumbles in other ways, making just even with Bethesda's relaunch of the 90's franchise. The latest release from the people who oversaw the games early success in the 90's brings us an alternative remake of what should have been Fallout's third outing. New Vegas may only be set in only one of the four states intended to be used in what was Project Van Buren. But the Mojave Wastland (aka Nevada) is still a bustling area full to detail of what the Silver State is today, if not as noticeable as Capital Wasteland's many famous monuments. The story of New Vegas takes place 3 years after the events of Fallout 3. The Mojave is caught in the middle of a conflict of its prize jewal, the Hoover Dam. The New California Republic in the west wants the dam to supply its people with electricity and fresh water. To the east lies the slaver nation of Caesar's Legion, who want to make the city of New Vegas the capital of their empire. You play as a Courier, who shortly after starting your job to bring a package to the New Vegas Strip is ambushed and left for dead. Rescued by a Securitron robot and recovered by a local doctor, you persuit your "killer" to get answers. The story is affected by how you deal with local towns, raiders, tribals and even the major factions of the NCR and the Legion. This therefore makes the story unique as you cannot make everyone happy at one time when compared to Fallout 3's story. The factions of New Vegas is what makes this game most symbolic of all. Karma returns in New Vegas, but it dosn't affect any part of the game apart of your attitude at the end of the game. Instead an irreversable Fame system takes over. This offers rewards for loyalty and assistance in certian faction such as access to their restricted areas, faction benefits such as supplies or support, permission to trade, etc. If you disrespect them or aid their enemies in a way that affects them, they will become hostile and attack you on site. Because you can very rarely get back on their good side, its best to think ahead before you decide who to fight with and who to fight against. New Vegas also has more armour and weapons than Fallout 3 and thus gives more variaty in creating a character. Add the ability to modify weapons, craft ammo, food, even stimpacks, and you have a game that has more toys to play with. The game also features Hardcore Mode, which forces you to have to drink water, eat food and sleep in order to survive. Along with ammo having weight, stimpacks healing you overtime and only doctors or Doctor's Bags being able to repair your limbs, this gives you a more realistic and challenging experience. New Vegas isn't perfect as its main problem is with its graphics. It is seriously buggy and even though a patch has at least made it playable, it still has some notable problems including freezes and poor moments when lakes appear to be canyons in a distance. If you don't have internet access to get the patch, it peforms less well. All in all Fallout New Vegas is simply adding more Fallout experience, while bring a part of a project that was halted ten years ago. Improved choices in decisions, weaponry and armor content, more practical perks and challenging gameplay make it one of the most unforgatable games this year. Sadly, a poor engine keeps it from peforming at its best. Thus this games stills at least keeps even with its east coast brother and is still worth getting, provided you can download the 2.01 patch to make it playable Expand
  78. Sep 9, 2011
    One problem I had with Fallout 3 was that it felt like a grayscale painting, the environment and atmosphere were both dull, looks pretty repetitive, plain boring. Of course that's what you'll expect to see when your world gets nuked. Anyway, New Vegas tries to deviate from the central theme of post-war survival and instead, centres its storyline around the politics of New Vegas and HooverOne problem I had with Fallout 3 was that it felt like a grayscale painting, the environment and atmosphere were both dull, looks pretty repetitive, plain boring. Of course that's what you'll expect to see when your world gets nuked. Anyway, New Vegas tries to deviate from the central theme of post-war survival and instead, centres its storyline around the politics of New Vegas and Hoover Dam. The gameplay is more or less the same, but the idea is, you'll be given a choice to work with whichever faction you wish, whether that's based on the faction's goals and objectives, or simply for your personal gains. There is a reputation system, if you help one group out, they'll like you better but this may cause adverse impact on other groups' perception of you. So choose wisely. The world is huge and there are tons to do and explore. Seeing that this is Vegas, you'll be able to gamble too. New Vegas is vibrant and is definitely a relief from the dull wasteland. Anyway, the story is not great but alright. If you loved Fallout 3, there's no reason to skip this one. Now, to the bad part... There's no real graphical/gameplay improvement from Fallout 3 but I'll try to understand that. The character creation mechanics remains primitive.But most of all, this game may win the most bugs (including game-breaking ones) in a PS3 game award. And the game always crashes!! Patches after patches the game still has them. All the time!! Argh! But despite so many bugs and crashes, I went back to my save file and play through all that again.... Why?!! Because it is Fallout, people!! If you'll be spending so much time on this huge open-world, what's an extra hour of replay? That said, I close by saying this game is highly addictive and offers much replay value. And I'm sure most of you will try to look pass the bugs and crashes because you'll be getting so much more out of New Vegas. Because war..... war never changes. Expand
  79. Aug 13, 2011
    Fallout 3 was amazing. Fallout New Vegas is a simple re-hash which was too buggy to enjoy at times. I enjoyed it for the first few hours but it soon felt stale and like a weak little brother of F3. No wonder they slashed the price. I traded it in after day 2 and got something else. I look forward to the next one but only if they improve alot of what made Vegas so crap. The Graphics wereFallout 3 was amazing. Fallout New Vegas is a simple re-hash which was too buggy to enjoy at times. I enjoyed it for the first few hours but it soon felt stale and like a weak little brother of F3. No wonder they slashed the price. I traded it in after day 2 and got something else. I look forward to the next one but only if they improve alot of what made Vegas so crap. The Graphics were very dated and the animation was really bad too... Didnt care much for the character either. Expand
  80. Aug 25, 2011
    I believe the phrase that has been thrown around '60 dollar expansion pack' is pretty accurate (or at least the time the game was that much money). But there are actually a lot of improvements to game play. The main story isn't as interesting as the last game but the side missions are more interesting than the last game as are the characters. Lots of tough and interesting new enemies,I believe the phrase that has been thrown around '60 dollar expansion pack' is pretty accurate (or at least the time the game was that much money). But there are actually a lot of improvements to game play. The main story isn't as interesting as the last game but the side missions are more interesting than the last game as are the characters. Lots of tough and interesting new enemies, factions and ways to have fun -- minigames. Once you get the hang of the Caravan, you can make a ton of caps no problem. Expand
  81. Apr 19, 2012
    If you liked Fallout 3, I would generally recommend this game because it's just more of it. My favorite addition is the ability to gamble, as it serves as a great pastime between murdering crowds of Ghouls and Fiends. Also, with a great variety of DLC, Fallout: New Vegas is a trip worth taking.
  82. Sep 22, 2011
    This game is pretty awesome. Theres so much to do and the amount of replay value thats in this game is pretty crazy. As a fan of Fallout 3 i felt like i had to pick this one up. To tell you the truth, it started out boring at first and hard to get into unlike the first one. After a while though, i thought i might as well start to play it again and get into it this time. It was worthThis game is pretty awesome. Theres so much to do and the amount of replay value thats in this game is pretty crazy. As a fan of Fallout 3 i felt like i had to pick this one up. To tell you the truth, it started out boring at first and hard to get into unlike the first one. After a while though, i thought i might as well start to play it again and get into it this time. It was worth getting back into i must say. Not only was it fun, but addicting as well! I couldnt keep my hands off the controller and replayed the game many times for the multiple endings and trophies. Fallout New Vegas is well worth it and is simply one of the most addicting games of 2010. Expand
  83. Dec 17, 2013
    Better then Fallout 3 in terms of choses and story. Somehow the world felt a bit less interesting though.
    The worst problem however is the glitches and freezes and bugs. It was still playable but I never had any problems with Fallout 3.
  84. Oct 25, 2011
    I love this game... EXCEPT it crashes ALL THE TIME!!! That being sid though I enjoy the game so much... I keep playing over and over, even if I lose data in the crash. Now its not as good as FALLOUT 3..... but still a great game. I probably have well over 20 hours invested right now with no end in sight. Talk about bang for your buck!! Buy it!
  85. Mar 13, 2012
    Say what you will on the evolution of graphics on NV. It has gained what it does best, complete a story that is recycled and made better. It is the survival game of the desert, nothing more, nothing less. While not as engaging as fallout 3, it still continues to push you to boundaries that many games don't necessarily go by. If you like Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this. But if you lovedSay what you will on the evolution of graphics on NV. It has gained what it does best, complete a story that is recycled and made better. It is the survival game of the desert, nothing more, nothing less. While not as engaging as fallout 3, it still continues to push you to boundaries that many games don't necessarily go by. If you like Fallout 3, you'll enjoy this. But if you loved Fallout 3, you'll be sorrily disappointed . Expand
  86. Nov 17, 2011
    for what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve afor what was a very creative and fun game series, fallout NV and 3 set an all time low. Sure, fallout 3 and NV pulled the series to 3d and open, and i admit it was kind of fun, but that fun was ruined by the major bugs, freezes, glitches and crashes i experienced on my copy. it happened on my PC,ps3 and 360 copies so its not my system. This is a very crap game that does not deserve a sequel. If 4 gets made, it must not be developed by obsidian and not use that crap gamebryo engine. I cant even tell you how bad the DLC makes it. Its unplayable after 3 hours gameplay. its like it purposly freezes to tick you off! Expand
  87. Nov 16, 2011
    Is this game for me you may be asking yourself and you may be thinking this can't top fallout 3 and you right don't be fooled gamers sure it looks pleasing but it is far from it.Where to start? the less than decent graphic's the frequent glitches.There is so much wrong with this game it's not even funny from the horrible aim down sight's to the annoyingly short story.All i can say yes itIs this game for me you may be asking yourself and you may be thinking this can't top fallout 3 and you right don't be fooled gamers sure it looks pleasing but it is far from it.Where to start? the less than decent graphic's the frequent glitches.There is so much wrong with this game it's not even funny from the horrible aim down sight's to the annoyingly short story.All i can say yes it is a fallout game but a good fallout game no.For people who have not played the series you should play the third one well worth the money.With plenty to do.And that is why i am giving fallout new vegas a 5/10 Expand
  88. Nov 18, 2011
    I own this game and i can barely play it without it crashing. I have unfinished missions where the objectives dissapear. If this game was playable it would be awesome.
  89. May 12, 2012
    When I first played FNV, I was filled with euphoria and as I progress to the middle of the game, I was even addicted to the game that I ditched homework just to play it. The reason for this was the good parts of the game such as making your own story, choices and factions which greatly affects the gameplay, and an immersive world full of amazing weapons. However, despite the amazingWhen I first played FNV, I was filled with euphoria and as I progress to the middle of the game, I was even addicted to the game that I ditched homework just to play it. The reason for this was the good parts of the game such as making your own story, choices and factions which greatly affects the gameplay, and an immersive world full of amazing weapons. However, despite the amazing features of the game, I was disappointed with FNV when I reached my second playthrough. I realised that there are massive amounts of bugs and crashes, the quests, locations are bland and all the same, the enemies are mediocre, the loading screens are too many and long, and travelling through the Mojave is tiring. Fallout 3 is a LOT better than New Vegas. Thanks a lot, Bethesda! :| Expand
  90. Mar 2, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10
    Graphics: 8 out of 10
    Gameplay: 9 out of 10
    Fun: 9 out of 10 (depending on difficulty)
    Controls: 9 out of 10
    Ease to Learn: 7 out of 10
    Length: 10 out of 10
    Re-play: 9 out of 10
    Audio: 8 out of 10
  91. Jun 30, 2012
    There are some cool new ideas introduced, survival to make random food items useful(however you rarely ever find anything useful for cooking, and normally will end up carrying junk around for hours just to make 2 of a recipe), companions each have their own history and questline, and thankfully they added in a nice amount of unique weapons and armor like FO3. Overall they keep up theThere are some cool new ideas introduced, survival to make random food items useful(however you rarely ever find anything useful for cooking, and normally will end up carrying junk around for hours just to make 2 of a recipe), companions each have their own history and questline, and thankfully they added in a nice amount of unique weapons and armor like FO3. Overall they keep up the quality that FO3 had and surpass it in some areas, but like FO3 some of the quests are just boring. Now, the killer is the technical issues, I bought FO3 after much patching so I never had too many glitches besides crashing, but the technical errors are worse in NV, specifically the freezing becomes extremely frequent and annoying problems like companions getting stuck(fixed now-too bad it was months after ED-E got stuck in a wall and I'd given up and started a new character since I couldn't even start the DLC without having my companions dismissed) and companions guns dropping in casinos so you have to give them your own gun and ammo. This would all be fine on the PC version, but on the PS3 this stuff is so annoying. Some people don't like the feel, and I agree that Washington was an all around cooler place with more landmarks and the Enclave and Brotherhood were bigger in 3, but NV keeps them in and adds in more factions. Quests, guns, gunplay, companions, and existing skills are all improved upon, and everything else is at about the same quality as 3 or better, even in terms of unique guns, armor, and easter eggs NV surpasses 3. However 3 had a better setup with you starting in Vault 101, and a few more major characters like Three Dog and President Eden. Other than that NV wins hands down, I'm giving this a 9 because this lasted over 100 hours for me, and while it has it's problems it's still given me a ton of enjoyable playtime Collapse
  92. Dec 29, 2011
    This was literally the worst game I have ever played in the history of Playstation Games. It froze up my PS3 because of lag, the graphics were hokey, the story line was weak and I entered the game knowing nothing of what to do..no weapons, no tutorial..just some weird honkey tonk talking robot that told me how he found me through the rubble. Worst game ever. Refrain from buying this game.
  93. Mar 4, 2012
    this game is better then fallout 3 the map is bigger there are more weapons they added factions iron sights and more towns the only problem with this game is it crashes alot still and it is ran on the same engine as it did last time which makes it feel like a huge dlc but still the best game in the fallout series
  94. Mar 10, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas, despite having some issues continues to be an entertaining experience. New Vegas has more polished graphics, weapon mods and a lot more factions that its previous title, but unfortunately the story wasnt as interesting as Fallout 3's and exploring The Mojave became a little bit tiring sometimes. Throughout the story i found some bugs and even my console freezed, butFallout New Vegas, despite having some issues continues to be an entertaining experience. New Vegas has more polished graphics, weapon mods and a lot more factions that its previous title, but unfortunately the story wasnt as interesting as Fallout 3's and exploring The Mojave became a little bit tiring sometimes. Throughout the story i found some bugs and even my console freezed, but nothing to make me ragequit.
    This is compensated by a lot of quests, lots of new enemies, weapons, to be able to play poker and different games in The Strip and a new level of difficulty, in which enemies will be tougher and you will have to drink water and eat from time to time
    For those thinking about buying it, I deffinitely reccomend you to do it, and even more now that the price has dropped
  95. Apr 9, 2012
    While not as good and atmospheric as Fallout 3, it still delivers a lot of great content to keep you playing for hours. The main story is pretty weak, but the combat and companion system have been tweaked. Worth checking out if you loved Fallout 3, but don't expect too much change in gameplay and graphics.
  96. Apr 6, 2012
    I've liked the story of New Vegas far better than that of Fallout 3. It's much less depressing, or confusing for that matter. Still, the game feels like a huge add-on for the original title, and it shows. The visuals are sub par, a lot of glitches, but I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking. It plays like exactly like fallout 3, so the negatives of that game carry on into this. TheI've liked the story of New Vegas far better than that of Fallout 3. It's much less depressing, or confusing for that matter. Still, the game feels like a huge add-on for the original title, and it shows. The visuals are sub par, a lot of glitches, but I haven't encountered anything gamebreaking. It plays like exactly like fallout 3, so the negatives of that game carry on into this. The only reason to play this game is to enjoy the new open world to roam in and the story and side quests to complete. If you liked Fallout 3, or maybe hated it because of it's grim story line and atmosphere, try this one. Expand
  97. Apr 11, 2012
    After playing Fallout 3 and absolutely loving it, I wondered if New Vegas could top it. Boy did it ever! Everything about the game, the characters, the environments, the side quests, its all designed to immerse you. While the story itself isn't "Bioshock" level fantastic, its very interesting and engaging. The combat has been drastically improved too, now you are able to aim down yourAfter playing Fallout 3 and absolutely loving it, I wondered if New Vegas could top it. Boy did it ever! Everything about the game, the characters, the environments, the side quests, its all designed to immerse you. While the story itself isn't "Bioshock" level fantastic, its very interesting and engaging. The combat has been drastically improved too, now you are able to aim down your sights on guns. The only problem I ever had with the game was it's load times. There shouldn't have to be loading times this long this frequently. I've heard its better on the PC, and that doesn't surprise me. Still, Fallout: New Vegas is still one of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  98. May 2, 2012
    I liked it more than Fallout 3. However, it doesn't feel nearly as groundbreaking as it's predecessor. It's more of an evolution than a revolution.
  99. May 18, 2012
    loved this game. never really played rpg games, but I will look foward to the next fallout, because this game was addicting, time consuming, and entertaining. Definately worth buying, gamers will not regret it.
  100. May 29, 2012
    Fallout New Vegas despite an outdated engine and various technical issues is in an amazing game. The sheer amount of content once you start diving deeper into the game is impressive. The characters and personalities are interesting and the dialogue is engaging and the game still has that great Fallout charm. The many factions and groups scattered around the wasteland give the playerFallout New Vegas despite an outdated engine and various technical issues is in an amazing game. The sheer amount of content once you start diving deeper into the game is impressive. The characters and personalities are interesting and the dialogue is engaging and the game still has that great Fallout charm. The many factions and groups scattered around the wasteland give the player opportunities to help the or simply wipe them off the map. In Fallout you start off as a courier who after a nasty shot to the head starts a Journey that ultimately decides the fate of the entire mojave based on the decisions and choices you make, and the ending will always been different giving the game huge re-playability.

Once you start giving this game a chance and get past the slow start it is an amazing experience that can't be missed.
  101. Jun 30, 2012

1. A wild ride, and worth the price of admission, but you've been on this one before. [December 2010 p71]
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    The technology of the newest part of the fallout series is over aged and besides the hardcore mode and the reputation-system, the new features of New Vegas are manageable. But altogether, New Vegas is a successful new part and not just an add-on, with more than 100 hours of gaming, an interesting story and a new setting to explore.
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    If you are looking for a universe full of adventures and challenges, Fallout: New Vegas is your game, and for many more months.