F.E.A.R. PlayStation 3

7.4

Apr 27, 2007
    This game is getting panned too much! If you are masochistic "like me" then buy this game ok. Cause slow mo killing is a non-stop orgy. Yeah this game is good, duh!
  2. Quincy
    Apr 27, 2007
    This game is deplorable. It's absolutelty wretched. In my opinion "Resistance Fall of Man" is the only good shooter game for the PS3 with exception to "Call of Duty" and "Splinter Cell DA" which I have not played. I'm still in shock. After studying organic chemistry for 4 hours I finally played "F.E.A.R." and it was a huge debacle. The game play is so horrible. Moreover it is a This game is deplorable. It's absolutelty wretched. In my opinion "Resistance Fall of Man" is the only good shooter game for the PS3 with exception to "Call of Duty" and "Splinter Cell DA" which I have not played. I'm still in shock. After studying organic chemistry for 4 hours I finally played "F.E.A.R." and it was a huge debacle. The game play is so horrible. Moreover it is a disgrace to be played in a PS3 console. All in all, I'm going to play it safe and wait until "Metal Gear Solid" is released. No more games such as F.E.A.R. or Motorstorm will be purchased by me. Expand
  3. LamLe
    Nov 19, 2008
    I loved it. I think it's the best pure fps I've played. Probably because I like horror genre and the story was supernatural and suspenseful- not just some pseudo military fantasy mission. AI is the best as well as the fights you get in w/ them. I've played RSV1 and 2, COD4, Resistance, Bad Company, etc. Can't wait until FEAR2!! Played well on my PS3 and hdtv. NeverI loved it. I think it's the best pure fps I've played. Probably because I like horror genre and the story was supernatural and suspenseful- not just some pseudo military fantasy mission. AI is the best as well as the fights you get in w/ them. I've played RSV1 and 2, COD4, Resistance, Bad Company, etc. Can't wait until FEAR2!! Played well on my PS3 and hdtv. Never really notice what people mean by framerate. I didn't notice anything substantial that deprives the essential enjoyment from the game. Graphics do look more colorful and clean on PC though. Like I said before, it doesn't deprive the eseential enjoyment of the game. Anyway I guess people make their money harping on things that make themselves- not really the game- less enjoyable. Expand
  4. Kristian
    Apr 20, 2007
    Have to say that I'm over the moon with this after reading some poor remarks. Excellent online play.
  5. JoeP.
    May 22, 2007
    Makes you jump a hell of a lot. I got more than my fair share of goosebumps.
  6. MickP.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Way too easy. completed in 2 nights, graphics are nice though.
  7. Thomas
    Dec 24, 2008
    The problem this title suffers from is lack of substance to hold the gamers interest, I will quite reeadily admit some of the scarier moments of the game look visually quite capable but the wait between these sections where you simply point and shoot with apalling aim and badly devised ragdoll effects is just too long, There is only so many times you can walk down a similar, badly litThe problem this title suffers from is lack of substance to hold the gamers interest, I will quite reeadily admit some of the scarier moments of the game look visually quite capable but the wait between these sections where you simply point and shoot with apalling aim and badly devised ragdoll effects is just too long, There is only so many times you can walk down a similar, badly lit corrider before all suspense is lost. Overall a fair effort but very lacklustre at points. Expand
  8. Jul 12, 2011
    Fantastic FPS that is at least equal to Bioshock. The AI in this game is brilliant and I think only Killzone 2's AI can come close to matching it. This is fear's best accomplishent IMO and makes this game a solid must have shooter to have in your collection. This game probably deserves a 9 but I think 8 is a fair score because there are a few very minor problems. This doesn't affectFantastic FPS that is at least equal to Bioshock. The AI in this game is brilliant and I think only Killzone 2's AI can come close to matching it. This is fear's best accomplishent IMO and makes this game a solid must have shooter to have in your collection. This game probably deserves a 9 but I think 8 is a fair score because there are a few very minor problems. This doesn't affect gameplay too much but there are two controller mapping features (which they did change in project origin, the second game) which don't jive. Triangle is used for med kit and left analog stick is both crouch and run so you can guess what happens, sometimes you don't do what you intended by accident. It doesn't ruin the gameplay as checkpoints are frequent enough but enough to take some score off my rating. No trophies for those who care either but I didn't take off score for that. In addition you have a slo-mo ability which i didn't use as i thought the game was exactly the right skill for me without using it. May be too easy but may be helpful in more difficult settings as the AI is quite intelligent. A game I would definately recomment and replay. One of my favorite shooters of all time now. Expand
  9. May 16, 2011
    Great mix of supernatural horror & stock FPS gameplay. Right up with there with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The level design in particular, is excellent. Some of the best I've seen in fact, so congrats to those involved (Martin Cluney, Leo De Bruyn, Michael Drummond, Jared Gerritzen, Chris Voss). Why the kudos? Because I never got lost. I was able to explore freely, and most of the time found something cool.

Missions all worked, 10 chapters with sub-goals which all "fit."

Weapons and progression/difficulty scaled well and offered plenty of choice.

In summary, the game eschews quality. Its a cinematic experience, where the story doesn't occlude the gameplay, but rather compliments it. Good job to all involved.
  10. May 3, 2011
    I love this game. Everything about it is magnificent, graphics, gameplay, level design and the horror moments genuinely frighten you. Its like a hardcore action movie mixed with The Grudge. Its simple, just have a creepy little girl with long black hair and bingo, instant scares. In my opinion, one of the most underrated games I have ever played.
  11. Oct 1, 2013
    This is a good game but it could have been great. The shooting and the gameplay are solid, the story is good, with a few jump scares here and their. The graphics are clearly outdated, the slow-motion shooting is great but it seems like you have to depend on it too much, you can hardly hit the enemies without the slow-motion effect.
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    Great old game for ps3!! very underrated. Extremely scary for a next gen game. Though its older brothers are more action than scares. Very cheap now and worth it for ps3
  13. Feb 24, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing this game. I love the dark paranormal atmosphere of the game. the jump scares didn't really get me but the creepy music put me on edge.
  14. Nov 9, 2015
    Tried sitting through this version of FEAR for a couple of hours and I can't say I really enjoyed what I saw. It stutters, it jitters, it doesn't really look all that great (although, for a near-launch title, I wasn't expecting much), it lacks subtitles (which would be alright if you could hear a good majority of the dialogue in the first place, which you can't) and it lacked manyTried sitting through this version of FEAR for a couple of hours and I can't say I really enjoyed what I saw. It stutters, it jitters, it doesn't really look all that great (although, for a near-launch title, I wasn't expecting much), it lacks subtitles (which would be alright if you could hear a good majority of the dialogue in the first place, which you can't) and it lacked many necessities I would come to expect from a decent PS3 shooter, or any normal PS3 game.

It lacks any support for normal things like Trophies and controller vibration, which sound like things that might have been added in an update at some point when they were introduced. Guess what: they weren't. The copy you buy off of that unsuspecting pawn shop shelf is about as vanilla as the day it was pressed.

If you actually do plan on going back and playing the original FEAR nowadays, steer clear of the PS3 version and go for the supposedly better 360 and PC versions. You could probably get the PC version for a decent price on Steam anyway, so going out of your way to get the PS3 version is almost pointless.
  15. Oct 30, 2016
    A timeless classic in the horror shooter genre, F.E.A.R. is one of those games that I never get tired of no matter how much I play it.

F.E.A.R. is packed to the brim with action and unsettling scares, and though it's not terrifying, it'll definitely put you on edge with some sequences. It's a bit finicky to play on PS3 due to the age of the game and the fact that it was made for PC beforehand, but once you learn it, the game works well, and the gunplay is so satisfying. Activating slow mo and dropping a room before the first enemy even hits the ground is an absolutely amazing feeling, and the added particle effects during slow mo adds an extra bit of cinematic effect to the action scenes. Even without slow mo the gunplay feels amazing, with each bullet hit impacting the enemy in visual ways, the guns feeling powerful instead of just having the enemies stand there motionless before ragdolling. The AI is sophisticated as well, and will flank you and communicate with other squad members, telling others where you are or requesting backup, and even after 10 years after the PC release, this AI has rarely been topped.

Of course, being an action game with horror elements, it's more action than horror. However, when the little demon child who is the very face of the game appears, it can be incredibly tense, and some scenes will have you downright scared to move on. Despite your impressive arsenal and your slow motion abilities, as well as the ultimate instant kill super weapon of the jump kick, you will feel absolutely helpless against her. When she's around, you can just feel her all around you, stalking you in the shadows and just out of sight, and it is very effective.

The game takes a healthy 8 to 10 hours out of you, but it never feels padded despite its impressive run time. The game is solid and fun the whole way through, and the ending chapter provides a great and satisfying note to leave off on.

F.E.A.R. certainly may not have aged well when it comes to looks, but the gameplay is still solid and the story is still gripping and the scares are still frightening, and it is definitely worth every cent you put down to get it.
  16. Mar 28, 2017
    Settings in this first F.E.A.R. are blatantly simplistic, yet there is something special about it.

In general, the game is addictive thanks to its high percentage of action and shooting moments -which I particularly like-, but it also sow the seed of F.E.A.R. 2 (much deeper in technical terms). I have never wielded two pistols in a video game as nicely as in this one, and I have good

I have never wielded two pistols in a video game as nicely as in this one, and I have good memories of my playing it right before the second F.E.A.R. was released.

1. It's aged badly. The PS3 version looks like the PC version running on low detail...It's a fair attempt, but in no way essential. [Apr 2007, p.79]
  2. Pure Magazine UK
    FEAR provides the right amount of tension coupled with amazing AI couple with amazing lighting and graphical effects that will just keep you coming back for more. [Apr 2007, p.54]
  3. Games Master UK
    A glaring disappointment considering it looked and played miles better on PC. [Apr 2007, p.63]