6.5

1. Mar 23, 2013
    Haven't play FIFA for 3 years... I'm sure if I did this wouldn't feel so fresh, nut I haven't so it does. The thing is, even with all the options I really don't find this too deep. I seems to be all about fun factor: get to know a few controls and just have fun playing. The animation is good but I feel a wierd detachment from the game that I don't feel with NHL or NBA. I just don't feelHaven't play FIFA for 3 years... I'm sure if I did this wouldn't feel so fresh, nut I haven't so it does. The thing is, even with all the options I really don't find this too deep. I seems to be all about fun factor: get to know a few controls and just have fun playing. The animation is good but I feel a wierd detachment from the game that I don't feel with NHL or NBA. I just don't feel 'in the stadium'. Although, maybe that's just how soccer is. A fun game that I'm glad I didn't pay full price for. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    Whilst FIFA has always been my favorite sport game, I still maintain that it doesn't need an annual release. Player and team updates to FIFA 12 would do nicely. It doesn't expand enough to be called a true sequel, it just adds a few new features and calls it a new game. FIFA 11-12 was a big leap which justified a new game, but this? Just play FIFA 12, unless you're a die hard fan, in whichWhilst FIFA has always been my favorite sport game, I still maintain that it doesn't need an annual release. Player and team updates to FIFA 12 would do nicely. It doesn't expand enough to be called a true sequel, it just adds a few new features and calls it a new game. FIFA 11-12 was a big leap which justified a new game, but this? Just play FIFA 12, unless you're a die hard fan, in which case, buy the game, but don't expect much difference. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    Hmmmm..well..this game looks awesome, i love the presentation, the commentary is awesome, the options are awesome, the career is nice and deep, but the game play is just so shallow...i mean the first touch is a joke..its too random instead of EA letting the player try and control the first touch like in PES 13 they have some random algorithm going on which just doesnt work.

The Ai is

The Ai is fairly good in going forward but are dumb in defense. The CPU teams are dumb as well, you'll find it quite easy if your a good player to score, if your mediocre like me you'll find semi pro / pro too easy and higher levels way too difficult. Personally this game has all the nice flashing lights in way of licensed teams , commentary , presentation etc, but the game itself will become boring after a while. I bought this and PES 13 and Ive not put down PES 13. Far superior game play...oh worried about proper teams. Download an option file takes seconds. Fifa 13 is ok, its not bad but IMO PES 13 will keep you playing longer than this.
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    Maybe we expect too much from our football games lately, but that is what we do whenever the next installments comes out. FIFA 13 is not bad, I just wish in career mode we didn't have to wait ages to play from one matchday to the next.
  5. Oct 11, 2012
    When compared to FIFA 12, this game is definitely sub-par. There were few improvements made, and the things they changed were mostly for the worst. The new first touch system is extremely frustrating. I know it makes it more realistic, but I don't think it's good that the player has no control over the first touch's outcome. For something that can affect the game outcome so much, it isWhen compared to FIFA 12, this game is definitely sub-par. There were few improvements made, and the things they changed were mostly for the worst. The new first touch system is extremely frustrating. I know it makes it more realistic, but I don't think it's good that the player has no control over the first touch's outcome. For something that can affect the game outcome so much, it is extremely frustrating. I was very disappointed to see that virtual pro's are gone. That was one of the parts of FIFA 12 that kept me coming back. It was fun trying to make your player as good as he could be. The reffing is still terrible. The computer almost never has fouls called on them, while if the player barely touches the AI player there is a foul. The skill games are frustrating because the controls are not sensitive enough to be able to get the precision that the games require. Another in game problem that is making me really angry right now is how EA was lazy and instead of making the AI smarter, they just make the AI's players better. The career mode is slightly better, few changes were made though. The commentary is very good, one of the few highlights of the game. I feel this year EA was very lazy. The differences between 10 and 11 or 11 and 12 were much larger than the difference between 12 and 13. Very disappointing when compared to the track record. Expand
  6. Jan 9, 2013
    NOT THAT DIFFERENT FROM 12 AND IN SOME WAYS ITS A STEP BACKWARDS BUT THIS GAME IS FUNNER and better looking get this game if u have fifa 11 or previous or else get 12 or wait for 14 ****
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    Maybe I'm a bitter person when it comes down to FIFA games. Here in The Netherlands football/soccer is the number 1 sport. Almost every dude in my school and class plays football in real life and those dudes always talk about FIFA or CoD when talking games. And I got called n00b sometimes because I said I don't play FIFA anymore.( Only played 09 and 11. Played 12 sometimes with a friend atMaybe I'm a bitter person when it comes down to FIFA games. Here in The Netherlands football/soccer is the number 1 sport. Almost every dude in my school and class plays football in real life and those dudes always talk about FIFA or CoD when talking games. And I got called n00b sometimes because I said I don't play FIFA anymore.( Only played 09 and 11. Played 12 sometimes with a friend at his house right before FIFA 13). I know FIFA for some of it's great soundtracks, announcers, commercials and fun factor. We have to give them thumbs up for that. But what kind of improvements does FIFA 13 got? From what I've played with friends, it has got some lazy ass AI that switches to AI on crack to weird ass AI. I try to pass, but my teammate gave the ball away. My defenders weren't doing their jobs and were just following the ball like it was a Sunday walk in the park. The opponents score 95% of the time via a cheap shot or because of an AI fault on your team. I know real defenders can make mistakes, but just standing there 20 meters away from the opponent aimlessly looking around is ridiculous. Jezus! That's a severe case of inconstancy. First touch: Nice concept, but in the game it's not as it can bug. Online servers...HAH!
    It's like the FIFA system relies too much on it's luck ratio by getting sixes when rolling the dice. But it never does and lands on a box where someone asks it a question, it doesn't know the answer and gets send all the way back to the start.
    But when it works the way it's suppose to work FIFA is a alright game to play. Nothing more, nothing less.
    It's loves to slap you in the face a lot and then it tries to win you back...and then slaps you again.
    If you are a hardcore soccer player or FIFA fan you'll may love it.
    But for me it's not my cup of tea and my total of 8 hours FIFA with friends weren't the best 8 hours of my life. Good soundtracks and announcers but that's it for me. Still beats Physics tests though.
    I have to find FIFA11 again. I really miss that one.
  8. Oct 31, 2012
    I wasn't expecting a miracle from the improvements, but I still liked them.
    Attacking Intelligence: makes the AI able to do quick plays as the AI is better at offense now, I liked it because now I can play career mode as a defender as the cpu attackers do their job at attack
    The new Free Kick system: now you can run players over the ball have up to 3 fk takers, not bad too. Skill Games:
    I wasn't expecting a miracle from the improvements, but I still liked them.
    Skill Games: each section of skill games (ex. penalties) should have had more challenges than just 4, since there are some you can complete at the first attempt.
    Fixed impact engine: no difference
    Improved passing: now you can pass to mates that are very close to you without a problem
    Virtual Pro: the online pro is only avaliable at online, meaning that you can't test him in single player, and even if accomplishments were supposed to be only online I wish it was avaliable to single player. Each time you start a career mode you can start it as a pro, meaning you can have countless pros, but I still wish some of the single player accomplishments were more about skill, and not about time (ex: 10 passes, then 50 passes, then 100 passes, etc.)
    Catalogue: makes you able to buy items (like team classical kits, kickers, career mode bonuses) and the more you level up more items are avaliable.
    Thats it, I think fifa 13 is worth buying if you didn't played fifa 12 a lot and I liked most of the improvements, I wasn't expecting a miracle, but for 1 year these improvements are good.
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    Fifa 13 may start well, but it falls short very soon. It fails to amaze the player, mainly because of the fact that it is yet another installment without any significant new ingredient.
    First of all, there is no AI improval. The individual career is as painful as it was in F11 and F12, with teammates failing to stay on the ball for more than 2 seconds and opposition way smarter than them. Playing as a team is no joy either. The CPU is just too good, and if that would be OK (it's not actually) playing against Real Madrid, it might be the case against Beerschot, too. In one way or the other, you have the some old feeling that FIFA decides who wins the game, not you.

The engine is better, somehow. The awkwardly bad physical collision engine is not as clumsy as it was in F12, leading to a more realistic feel throughout the game. Anyway, passing and the new "intelligent offense" stuff don't work at all, leading to an experience which is a lot similar to the previous ones. It remains to be said that some glitches have been fixed (most notably ball protection and some other defects).
    Defending has taken a step backwards, as it is way less effective than in FIFA12.

Overall, the presentation is worse than the previous FIFAs. You really wonder how they can suck at that, that much. The game is also very slow to load, and inner menus as well as in-game displays are silly, failing to impress in every aspect.

That being said, FIFA is a good and solid online game. Even if errors occur (like the fact that anyone now can play any online one-on-one cup), the game engine gives his best when played against others.

So, if you are playing this game in herds or online, it might be worth the 60
  10. Jan 13, 2013
    The gameplay is a nice improvement from FIFA 12 version, collision engine is much better this year. This game easily could earn a 9.5 score from me, but the EA servers problems ruined the overall experience. I barely can complete a FUT offline match cause the server is always going down, and all my players contracts run out with matches that I can't finish. Several times I wasn't able toThe gameplay is a nice improvement from FIFA 12 version, collision engine is much better this year. This game easily could earn a 9.5 score from me, but the EA servers problems ruined the overall experience. I barely can complete a FUT offline match cause the server is always going down, and all my players contracts run out with matches that I can't finish. Several times I wasn't able to download online squads and can't play Seasons or Challenges matches, and when I play Challenges the game doesn't give XP points. So, the only game modes that I can play without problems is Career (but without earn XP), Skill Games and offline matches. EA servers screwed the experience. Expand
  11. Oct 18, 2012
    Basically there is no change in FIFA 13, and the looks of it, I think they made it worse. FIFA 12 and FIFA 13 have all the same features, all they did to make it different was to lighten up the grass and players, which might at one hand make it look bettter and at one hand even worse . All they did was update the information, and basically your paying 40$ more for updating the teams. YouBasically there is no change in FIFA 13, and the looks of it, I think they made it worse. FIFA 12 and FIFA 13 have all the same features, all they did to make it different was to lighten up the grass and players, which might at one hand make it look bettter and at one hand even worse . All they did was update the information, and basically your paying 40$ more for updating the teams. You can get FIFA 12 for 29.99$ while this costs $59.99, and there is no difference, except it`s much lighter, and that it is updated. I had given this a 7, but now I change it to a 5. Expand
  12. Jan 10, 2013
    I expected alot from FIFA13 but it was not the game i hoped for. The first touch is really bad because always when i get the ball it goes 3 meters forward. Also the referee AI is poorly coded because they make decisions that don't make any sense! Its good that EA fixed the physics engine but its not enough.
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    EA needs a big kick in the ass. i hope one day they can produce a **** simulation not this average action arcade with tons of bugs. but it makes fun sometimes when your game dont freeze and the momentum is on your side.
  14. Mar 20, 2013
    Nothing new once again from EA, just another yearly release with nothing in the way of innovation to go along with it. It plays ok, not really any differently to '12 though if honest, yes players some times try to make more forward runs but more often than not they are a hindrance.

Online suffers even more of the rubber-banding that EA swear isn't used in making the game, yeah right.
  15. Nov 2, 2012
    I only play fifa for the online play, and i have played a fair amount of games, so its kept me entertained for quite a while. But ive got bored of this game a lot quicker than the previous fifa's, they have to make a game where they can make online play about the passing, and not the fact that one player can outpace the other. Especially with ultimate team being so competitive with theI only play fifa for the online play, and i have played a fair amount of games, so its kept me entertained for quite a while. But ive got bored of this game a lot quicker than the previous fifa's, they have to make a game where they can make online play about the passing, and not the fact that one player can outpace the other. Especially with ultimate team being so competitive with the taking out of single player matches, you often play the fastest team possible and end up losing. Or I may be just bad at the game. Offline play, from what i know, isn;t as bad as this, so i might be trying this in the future. Friendly games against friends are still fun to play, just as the previous fifas. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2012
    i'm not happy with this game . i've played over 60 games over the 2 weeks , so here's my opinion the good: tons of teams and leagues
    skill games , they're real fun
    ultimate team is the most addictive game mode on any ps3 game , especially you you use the web app or the app store app soundtrack player's recreation fluid , pacy gameplay fun FIFA points make everything easier to people
    skill games , they're real fun
    soundtrack
    player's recreation fluid , pacy gameplay
    fun
    FIFA points make everything easier to people willing to spend money
    The Bad:
    the passing is atrocious scoring from outside the box is too damn easy
    the first touch "improvement" is too clumsy defending is still very poor
    EA servers... c'mon ! they're embarrassing
    ultimate team (in the game or the web and iOs apps) crashes all the time
    the physics engine is almost as accurate as it is ridiculous
    every defender looks like it belongs to the NFL
    every black striker is a recreation of usain bolt , no matter how slow he is in real life
    the referees keep intercepting passes! that's just stupid GK throws....they're as likely to end up on your striker as on the other team's
    The Ugly:
    EA seems to be waiting for the next generation to start really trying to build something new
    If my brother hadn't bought this game , i would never have . having fifa 12 and buying this is like throwing away your iphone 4s just to buy an iphone 5
    this game really feels and plays worse than fifa12

keep in mind that everything i said only applies to the online modes , i have no idea if the game plays any better offline .

cheers
  17. Nov 24, 2012
    Always been a big fan of the fifa series but to be fair it's a big disappointment compared to 11 and 12.
    First of all fifa 13 has the worst cover out of the series, since when did they decide to become like PES.
    Second of all there's a picture of Messi in the main menu that won't disappear, and it's not only in the main menu, it covers my formation and half my squad in th team management window.
    EA I hope your reading this, you've disappointed me and blew my trust in you. I hope you'll up you're game for fifa 14 otherwise PES is gonna take over.
  18. Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone saying this is the worst game ever really has no clue about anything soccer related and should really stop posting reviews. The first touch control added realism. In previous games, low rated players would have amazing control and touch, when in real life they don't. I like that. Playing and coaching for your national team is great. I don't know why they ever took that feature away.Anyone saying this is the worst game ever really has no clue about anything soccer related and should really stop posting reviews. The first touch control added realism. In previous games, low rated players would have amazing control and touch, when in real life they don't. I like that. Playing and coaching for your national team is great. I don't know why they ever took that feature away. I'm truly disappointed with the EA servers and their customer service. I did not receive rewards from completing challenges and it's been about 3 months and EA hasn't fixed my problem. Game is much more realistic which is great. The other team plays much better than they are overall, which is aggravating. Super goalies still exist and defenders play and sprint out of their mind. Game is fun and fulfilling! Expand
  19. Oct 7, 2012
    This game is really bad,and too arcade like .Control's feel sluggish and unresponsive at times,AI on defense "WOW" are complete pylons literally staring at the sky.All games online feel the exact same including goals.I just returned this game and im glad i did.

The only thing FIFA has got is the license's,but don't get fooled by it.
  20. Oct 12, 2012
    I don't know how this game so many positive, dishonest reviews from so many sites, if you want a real review, go to egm. this years fifa is great, it feels more like the real game than ever, but in their search for realism, ea has forgotten about one important thing; customer satisfaction. Now if you want that, don't buy this game. fifa 13 is fun to look at, feels nice scrolling throughI don't know how this game so many positive, dishonest reviews from so many sites, if you want a real review, go to egm. this years fifa is great, it feels more like the real game than ever, but in their search for realism, ea has forgotten about one important thing; customer satisfaction. Now if you want that, don't buy this game. fifa 13 is fun to look at, feels nice scrolling through the interesting menus, but that isn't why this game was bought. You want to buy this game to PLAY it don't you? I'm afraid, it is at that most essential place where ea have failed, yet, again. If you wanna play fifa 13, grab a few buddies, or stay online. if you wanna brave it, and play the improved career mode, you may be sorely disappointed when the times comes to actually play the game. This brings us to the ultimate let down of fifa 13, the cpu. it seems ea have called in a few rocket scientists to help them develop this game, because that ball is going to find your net one way or another like a long lost lover. EVERY cpu team tries to and usually succeeds at playing like barcelona. the long balls they play'll give you plenty to curse at. your defense no matter how great talented, are a courteous lot who will gladly excuse your opponents into a plethora of space, usually at the semi circle of your 18 yard box. on the other hand, the cpu are undoubtedly T-100's in disguise as they will uproot almost any attack with their telepathic abilities. expect frustration to come hard and fast. the sliders you say? those have little effect, aside from making you feel like a chump......it feels like every year, i pick wrongly between pes and fifa. ah, fifa10.......you will always be the one. Expand
  21. Nov 18, 2012
    They dumb down the First touch and the control of the ball, so you can no longer dribble the ball like a professional players but more like a 12 years old kid who just learn to play this game.
    It does give the casual gamers a better chance to score.
    It does give the casual gamers a better chance to score.

They did somewhat improve the shooting mechanics, as it was too easy to shoot in the predecessor. This time you can shoot with the swerve and often time this swerve tend to get in between post or leave you wondering what if.

I suppose of you have never watch or play football, this game would appeal to you, but two weekends ago I saw Shinji Ono pluck the ball out of a air and I said GOD, howcome not even Messi could do that in FIFA 13, then I realize it is only a game and could never ever replicate real football.
  22. May 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am writing Soccer Showcase Review as I can’t forget the moment which I have spent there. They really made life and fulfill my ambition comes true. I am a die-hard fan of Football and really want to play with big football clubs in order to get name and fame. I joined Elite Training Academy with the similar aim, trained well, groomed my skills and at last got noticed by the coach of one professional club who offered me to join them and play matches for them. Expand
  23. Jan 21, 2013
    First of all, it's sad how most of the "professional" reviewers gave this game a high rating. The reason why I don't give this game a 0, is because it's soccer and the possibility to play with friends on- and offline. But that's it.
    I'd like to start with the most obvious fact about every game: It has to WORK properly. And it certainly does not. If someone claims this is not true is either one of the 5% lucky people or is just blind/stupid.
    A short example: 20 minutes left until I go to work. Ok then, let's play a online 1on1 to kill time - this is just not possible.
    Whenever I start the game, I need to connect to the EA-Servers to play online. And these servers are the worst I have ever played on in my entire life.
    You spend most of your time connecting to the Servers - even more time than actually playing the game.
    Speaking of the obvious and self-explanatory: The game keeps on freezing, the sound stops at random points, the ball becomes invisible, linesmen run over the pitch like they're on speed and more bugs keep ruining the atmosphere while playing FIFA 13.
    Forgive me for not saying so much about the singleplayer experience but I played one offline-career and it was so full of bugs and freezes that I stopped playing singleplayer after like two weeks. I coached a 2nd division club and I got fired for not winning the Cup although I finished 1st in the end. This is just frustrating.
    FIFA 13 is in my opinion all about multiplayer-experience. I've been playing the Pro-Clubs mode since FIFA 09 very emotionally and succesfully. It is really fun coaching a team of many different FIFA-players, sharing ideas about tactics and building up rivalries to other Pro Clubs from other countries or your own. My teams and me always went at least top 10 in world ranking (FIFA 10: Rank 4, FIFA 11: Rank 2) and kept it for weeks. Since FIFA 12, however, it's just not possible anymore to play decently and continuesly. And here's why.
    The passing just became RANDOM. It doesn't really matter if you push X or triangle, it's like the game decides what kind of pass it's gonna be. It doesn't matter if you push X really really short or your holding it forever, the game decides whether the pass comes short or long. World class players like Xavi or Iniesta sometimes cannot stop a 10 inch pass - the ball just jumps away sometimes. Speaking of world class: This doesnt exist anymore. You either have FIFA 13 "on your side" or not. There are still basic things you need to be good at - like vision, intelligence, positional play - but you just have no power over most of the things that happen on the pitch. I love Tiki Taka, I love the style of Barcelona. So I always have the ball like 75% of the game. My opponents cannot even get near the goal most of the time. But in FIFA 13, there always happens something random, like a non-deserved penalty or a BIG mistake by the keeper, so that the weaker can win or have a chance against the better player.
    So even if you play perfectly and 3 goals ahead, your players suddenly become slower and technically limited so the opponent still has a chance. I also experience this, when my opponent is like 3 goals ahead - my players suddenly get stronger and faster - and his weaker, slower.

This is what's called "Momentum" by many frustrated FIFA players, which most of the casual gamers don't understand and laugh about. It doesn't matter what it's called, but there just IS something that appears during a match, which "decides" which player is going to score next. A casual FIFA player will barely recognize it, because it's not noticeable in just 1-2 games a week. It's a core gamer's problem.

If you play 10 matches online with the same team, you will always have a different experience. In maybe 5 games your team will play "normal" with no huge/weird mistakes and in let's say 3 games your team just cannot do anything anymore. The easiest passes and shots just won't work anymore and your fastest players will be much slower, your most reliable scorer cannot score in an empty goal and so on. If you're lucky you can still get a tie but: "If the game wants you to lose, you're gonna lose" - That's what me and my friends say about this game. And after the game being like 3 matches "against you", then it will be like 2 matches in your favour again. Your players are much faster, you can easily pass everywhere, play with one hand and every shot ends up in a goal. And if you still fail, then you will get a ridiculous penalty - or even two. IF the game wants you to win, then you will win.

Explaining the gameplay/balancing in less words: The player himself has nearly no control over what's happening on the pitch. This is what makes FIFA easier and easier for casual gamers, so that they have a chance against the core gamers. This is not my opinion, this is a fact. And everyone who does not see this is simply a fool - or one of the casuals. DO NOT BUY!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2012
    New key features such as first touch, attacking intelligence and improved player impact engine are the cornerstones of FIFA 13. Finally, after years of waiting, the ball is really round and there is a sense of unpredictability on the field. That makes an enjoyable footy game. [Nov 2012]
  2. Nov 6, 2012
    While it does more iterating than innovating this year, FIFA stands alone atop a somewhat small heap of competition to remain the soccer game you want if you only want one soccer game.
  3. Oct 28, 2012
    If you're a die-hard fan, you likely had FIFA 13 in your sights the moment it was announced. If you've been away from the series for a few entries, there's no better time to jump back into FIFA.