Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4

7.6

1. Dec 13, 2016
    I'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying theI'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying the story but be warned: you'll feel like some major plot points have been left out.

My second gripe is with the combat system. But maybe it's just me because a lot of people seems to enjoy it. I find it somewhat "bare". Progressing into the skill tree doesn't open up interesting new mechanics. Plus the interface is cumbersone. You can map to quick buttons 3 of you party skills but if you want to use something different in fights you have to fiddle with menues breaking up the pace of the combat. I really don't like it but i guess that's personal

Last is the open world side of the game. It's really meh. Nothing special there to see or do. Plus moving around is a royal pain in the ass. You have fast travel but only by day. If you're stuck out there by night and you don't want to rest in a camp you have to "drive" the car manually which consists in keeping a trigger pushed and watching your veichle slowing trudging toward you destination for some minutes
  2. Dec 16, 2016
    The wait for this game is comparable to the Gun N' Roses Chinese Democracy album; just because it's been in development for 10 years does not mean it's a good thing. This is evident in the final product as you can see ideas sprinkled throughout that don't all add together well. After completing the story, I can safely say this was pretty disappointing overall
    The combat for example is
    The combat for example is not very satisfying. For the first part of the game, you can simply hold down the attack button with the occasional dodge/parry button prompt. Eventually you have more options such as magic, teammate techniques, etc but overall, there's a lot of holding down attack button. Warp striking feels like the only versatile option yet, not too satisfying. I rarely ever needed to use magic and using potions becomes a pain since there is no armor in the entire game. You can use accessories/boosts but plan on using hi-potions constantly. Why there is no armor beats me but being dressed in black leather the entire game looks retarded. Also, I have yet to have the option to use a "summon" as this is prompt sensitive at random times. So in conclusion, you can count on holding O button, reusing potions, and warp striking to get your way to the end.
    The story Is not interesting. You will most likely be pretty confused as to what is going on and rely on the internet to sum it all up. You start off reclaiming your throne and towards the end, just gets confusing. Most importantly, I didn't even care what was going on at that point. Just be aware it gets confusing with some plot twist that make it more confusing. The story also tries to make you care about the bond of you and your friends, yet the characters are so terrible you couldn't care if any of them died.
    The graphics/setting looks pretty neat, like a final fantasy game. Some of the textures are a little ugly but overall pretty good. I think the roads, humans, real life product placement, etc take away from the fantasy setting unfortunatley. A lot of the land is pretty empty too which leads to the next point: pacing
    Where this game fails the most is the pacing. Getting from point A to B gets pretty tedious. The driving in the game is terrible and unnecessary. A lot of times you will want to fast travel (if you can) which can take some long loading times. Or you will have to fast travel to your car, then fast travel again to wherever. The best way of getting around is probably by chocobo.
    In conclusion, not too good. There are good moments of battle, exploring, hunting but sadly gets overshadowed my the flaws. When those moments do shine though, they can make for what could have been a stellar game. The development time shows evidence of these sporadic good/bad ideas. I'm at the point of extras after completing the game and I will say the option dungeon was pretty cool, although not the best reward. I'm hoping some of the extra dungeons, bosses are interesting too but after the story, it almost seems too late to fully get emerged into the experience.
    P.S. the music was a total let down...even the one good song from the demo "Noctis dream" isn't even in the game!
  3. Dec 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just don't get where everyones coming from. I've beat every numbered ff game sans 11, 12 and 14.
    FF15 isnt a bad game but man is it medicore. Its probably one of the most disopointing meh games in the series.

First lets address the ps4 version.

The ps4 version offers a crisper picture coming in at a locked 1080p. The game hits and stays at 30fps. There is sometimes a oddity in jerky animations but i'd say this is unnnoticable to most normal peoples eyes. The ps4 version has less issues with texture pop in than the xbox one version.

The xbox version runs a 720p to 900p. When the games running at 900p things look pretty much as solid as the ps4 version however, its running in 720p the vast majority of the time and honestly the picture looks soft and blurry as hell. The xbox version suffers from textures pop in and not loading fast enough a lot. This happens when theres not enough free space on the HDD. It has to load so much data that if the ff15 data isnt on the outer quicker part of the HDD then it cant load fast enough to keep up with the textures.

I've got 67 hours on the xbox one version and my friend has 200 hours on the ps4 version with everything complete. I myself on xbox only have 90% of the achivements and tons of pointless bland quest to do. He has literally every single quest, hunt, etc to include the bonus dugeons.

It shys away from the strong story telling of previous games to have a paper thin, poorly wrote, awfully explained and pretty much flaws flat on its face with its lack of depth. You build absolutely no emotion connection with luna.

Its a technical mess, glitches amass. Popin, textures loading awfully, the game having load times that make the neogeo cd look like lighting comparitly. Aimless pointless traveling thats early to mask loading issues. Games crashed on me 3 times my friends have all had it at least crash once. Im talking about just serious bugs everywhere. This isnt being repoarted from someone whos put 6 to 30 hours into the game.

The battle system lacks any depth. Its mostly just hold b. The magic system is junk feels like a after thought. The skill tree is **** Things costing 333 and above will simply almost never get bought. You'll be max level and no where near the ap you need for anything. Most of the skills you will soon realize are useless and not thought out. Especially all the ones to enhance the ammount of AP you get. They cost so much that they negate anything wasted into them.

The graphics are all over the place. Some times looking like a last gen game and not even a good one to the next minute blowing your mind.

Hallow gameplay. Most of the game is the same damn quest over and over an over. If I wanted that i'd play a western rpg. I want my quest to have real uniqueness with a story to drive them. I've literally fixed the same guys car like 3 times. The hunts have no meaning except exp. This game is literally Fetchquest Fantasy 15.

Dialog repeatition. They're trying to build up your emotional bond and people seem so captivated by this hallow experience. You're out of unique dialog or any building of bonds by around 7 hours into the game.

If you dont want a story and you want questing and you dont even want a final fantasy or anything that resembles a final fantasy maybe you'll enjoy this. This is clearly the mind of western rpg or mmo mentality spilling into a single player game.

To each his own but, the over whelming positivity and hype for this game is baffling. I've yet to meet a single person who likes the game in person and it seems to just be an online presence of this over hyping.
  4. May 12, 2017
    I loved final fantasy franchise but FF XV shouldnt have final fantasy on it, why? because its totally SUCKS! The director didnt understand about RPG!
    - Story SUCKS!!
    - Game play SUCKS!! - Camera SUCKS!! - Magic SUCKS!! - Summon SUCKS!! - Party member SUCKS!! Cannot play as other member and support character!! - Repeated BORING QUEST!! - World was EMPTY AND BORING - 20H of GAME
    - Story SUCKS!!
    - Game play SUCKS!!
    - Camera SUCKS!!
    - Magic SUCKS!!
    - Summon SUCKS!!
    - Party member SUCKS!! Cannot play as other member and support character!!
    - Repeated BORING QUEST!!
    - World was EMPTY AND BORING
    - 20H of GAME PLAY!!
    - EASY SUPER BOSS!!
    - EASY GAME PLAY!!
    - FISHING, FARMING, COOKING, AIRPLANE, and RESIDENT EVIL in the game!! The Director can give us these useless content, but cannot give us a good story and gameplay because there was not enough time as an excuse of his failure, hello? why you focus on these useless content if there was not enough time? Dude, learn more about RPG!!
    - Dishonest trailer, Omen Trailer!! Not in the game!!

The best thing of these game :
    - Amazing graphics on PS4 Pro
    - Good musics
    - Cannot find another positive things, sorry!
  5. Dec 13, 2016
    About 30 hours played and I really want to enjoy the game more but I just can't. The first 10 hours or so were enjoyable: Learning the new world, learning the combat system, learning the skills and ascension system. But the more I play the more it started going off the rails.

Let's start with the biggest issue of all, story. I went into this game having watched both Kingsglaive (the movie) and Brotherhood (the anime), so I have never once felt lost or confused. However, if someone picks up the game without having touched the movie or anime, they'll be utterly lost about what they're really out there doing. The fundamental core of a role playing game is the story and being forced to go outside of the game to learn the backstory that rounds out the game is a HUGE no-no.

The real time combat system is decent but after around 10-15 hours you'll realize you're basically using the same 2-3 weapon types, doing the same combos, using the same 2-3 techniques from the rest of your party members, and just yawning your way through most encounters. The only time the encounters are troublesome is late, late at night when it sometimes feels like dropping high level daemons on you or when you get literal battalions of magitek solders dropped on your head.

Open world: This is where the game really falls apart. Most of the quests are just glorified, MMO-style, fetch and return quests but the worst problem is the insane amount of time it takes to get places. Only certain areas (cities, rest stops, some parking stops) get the benefit of fast travel, so when going from quest area to quest area you're forced to sit there and endure the wait of travel. This can take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes REAL TIME depending on distance. Even IF you can fast travel, the load times are so bad that often they're not much better than waiting for the driving. After about 10 hours I realized I was waiting far more often than I was playing so I started using Chocobos instead of driving - but that's about the same, as Chocobos have most of the same design limitations as the car except they can go offroad. When riding a Chocobo, you can basically move forward and sprint. So instead of waiting to drive, you're just holding R2 to make the Chocobo run. I would say that of my total 30 hours played thus far, a good third of that - maybe more - has been spent waiting either at load screens or in transit.

Sound: The soundtrack is so utterly forgettable that I find myself purposely listening to the overworld music from every other FF game via the car "radio".

It's playable, and enjoyable for a while at first, but then it devolves into a boring waiting simulator with rote combat and a convoluted story (unless you've watched the corresponding media outside of the game). Sq-Enix tried copying the western RPG style and it's clear this is just a pale imitation.

One final note: NO ONE has made fishing an enjoyable side game. Outside of the arcadey Sega Bass Fishing, every attempt has been boring and tiresome. There's a reason fishing been extremely maligned within the World of Warcraft community and it's no better here. Game devs, stop trying to make fishing a fun side game that always devolves into boring QTE crapfests.
  6. Dec 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Liked the mechanics, the boss fights and a lot of the mini-games, but when I realized how the story ends...I play games to get away from reality, not to have a story teller build me up and then rip everything down. After the FF7 remake, I'm done with FF. It's become too dark for me, if I want tragedy, I'll turn on the news. Too bad none of the people who write these games never really listen to players, apparently we're "Degrading their creativity" when we comment. Expand
  7. Jan 7, 2017
    XV, XV, Final Fantasy XV. I don't know where to start with you. I think things went wrong back when you were first thought up in Tetsuya Nomura's head sometime around 2006. You should have never been born. Fabula Nova Crystallis should have never been born. I don't hate you, I don't. It's not your fault. I don't know what could've made you a better game, but we will never know that answer.XV, XV, Final Fantasy XV. I don't know where to start with you. I think things went wrong back when you were first thought up in Tetsuya Nomura's head sometime around 2006. You should have never been born. Fabula Nova Crystallis should have never been born. I don't hate you, I don't. It's not your fault. I don't know what could've made you a better game, but we will never know that answer. From the zillion fetchquests that make up the majority of your substance, the bugs that litter your world, preventing certain quests from being completed, or glitches that force people out of a 2+ hour long fight that they will have to start all over from the beginning. Characters revealed in trailers that showed so much promise then failed to deliver (looking at you Ravus and Aranea). To heroines promoted as "strong woman" whose screentime is probably 5 minutes total. Characters with no background, no personality. Who is Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis? Why are these people fighting with you? No info given unless you look outside the game, and if you have to look outside the game, then you know the writer for said game has failed at their job.

Boss battles with QTEs, that will have you fighting against both a giant monster, as well as the camera, making you want to pull your hair out. Camera and Party AI is the worst I have seen in any game. Makes Tales of Zestiria look like game of the year in comparison. Party members standing around, watching as you get mauled and pummeled by enemies. Some "comrades". Still, the battle system is the best part about the game, and to me, it's the only good part. Without the battle system, XV has nothing else going for it. Music is a disappointment, doesn't stand out at all. Hard to believe it's the same composer who worked on Kingdom Hearts. I knew she'd be no good on this game. So much melodrama, scenes I supposed were meant to get a tear out of me? But how can I cry when I don't care about these characters. They have no personality, no background, why should I care what happens to them.

Then part 2 arrives, and I'd heard things get bad around this part (Chapter 9), but I thought it was all exaggerations. "It can't be that bad". Ho, ho, boy, was I wrong. Chapter 13. I can understand why Square Enix is going to patch you. At this point, the game doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore. It loses itself. It turns into Metal Gear and Resident Evil with sneaking around, looking for passcodes to unlock doors, complete with jumpscares, so much bullcrap. How long was this chapter? 2 hours? It felt like an eternity. I don't like stealth, I don't like jumpscares. I DO NOT WANT METAL GEAR AND RESIDENT EVIL IN MY FINAL FANTASY. And oh, yeah, Chapters. They go by so quick. Like one cutscene and the chapter is over. Game is littered with flashbacks, yet I feel they were all pointless. They did not convey the information they should have. Why are Noctis and Luna getting married? They have not even seen each other in 10 years, for crying out loud. The flashbacks do not show much strong bond between Luna and Noctis at all. Why include them?

Story was super simple although there are many confusing parts, and things left vague. Very predictable, everything you expect to happen, does, especially if you've been keeping up with the trailers. Characters leave the party then return, all to make way for DLC episodes that have already been announced as part of the Season Pass. The story, simply put, is an absolute trainwreck. Let's skip ahead to the ending. Oh man. Dudes just enter Super Saiyan mode, flying through the air, teleporting, just straight up becomes Dragon Ball Z or the Matrix or something. Now, I don't actually hate this part, it was actually pretty cool, but man. I really feel this game does not deserve to be a mainline Final Fantasy. It feels the least like an FF imo. It tried too hard to be a WRPG with the huge world, and zillion sidequests, and in doing so, it lost sight of its true self, what it should have been. A Final Fantasy. The ending was also kinda predictable, at least if you know Hajime Tabata's history with video games... At least now the game is out, Square Enix can finally move on completely to FF7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, and, God willing, a FF16. So if you like beautiful, buggy games, lots of fetchquests to do, boring characters who you at least won't hate, a predictable plot, with a really good battle system, but poor camera and party AI, that can be beaten in under 30 hours, with an ending that will leave you scratching your head for days, then Final Fantasy XV is for you. Again, I don't hate this game... I give it a 5/10. Better luck next time, Square. coughgladIgotitusedcough.
  8. Dec 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really want to love this game. However, after 40 hours I can say I'm closer to hating this game, than I am liking it. Every time I think I found something I liked, it would soon follow with the flaw that takes the fun out of it.

Initially loved the open world aspect of the game. After an hour or two of doing the side quests, there is the realization that is is the basic form of go to X and do Y then return. There is little to no flavor for most of it, little to no world or character building, just the basic formula with nothing else. Then you get to the second half of the game, and it is as linear as Final Fantasy XIII, and then the atrocious Chapter 13 happens.

Combat is fun, not great by any means but fun. Then you run into issues with the camera, and issues with the lock on system. If you lock on, you can't control the camera, and the way the game controls it, you can't see anything. Even turning the camera setting to far doesn't help, especially in areas with lots of trees, or cramped spaces. When fighting one or two enemies it isn't an issue, once you get more than that, it is a pain. If the enemies are large, like Red Giants for example, it goes from being fun, to being a joke of an experience. Your party members are nearly useless in large scale fights because they're usually dead.

As for the story, it has its good points, and overall could have been a great story. However, it is hampered by poor pacing, and poor story telling. Moments that should have been big, such as what happens during the Leviathan fight, end up having little impact. The characters are interesting for the most part, but like the story they aren't developed in such a way to make you care. Yes it sucks that Ignis gets blinded, but it is glided over in such a minimal fashion. Promto is a essentially a Magitek Soldier, should have been a big deal, but they make a joke out of it for ten seconds and move on. Why does Gladio leave the part for a while? Lots of things are just left to speculation, or are barely explained.

On the technical side of things, the game is fine. On the Lite setting for PS4 Pro uses, the game runs smoothly with little issues in terms of performance. The music is good, and the world looks great.

As I stated I want to love this game. I love the Final Fantasy series, and I still do, but this entry in the series just isn't good in my opinion. Whatever it is that makes a good Final Fantasy game, this game is lacking it. If this game didn't have Final Fantasy in the title, it wouldn't be getting a positive reception. It is a deeply flawed game sadly. I started out wanting to give the game a solid 8/10, however; as time passed it steadily dropped. It is however at a low 6.0 range for me, I can't go any higher than that.
  9. Dec 13, 2016
    Currently 6/10 due to sheer tons of bugs, glitches and some plot/story line issues. The biggest problem with FF15 is that, it was released too early again and the the Day 1 purchasers as always are the beta testers, its sad really because the game could have easily been an 8 or 9 rating if some more time and quality control so some of the really glaring and obvious issues was fixedCurrently 6/10 due to sheer tons of bugs, glitches and some plot/story line issues. The biggest problem with FF15 is that, it was released too early again and the the Day 1 purchasers as always are the beta testers, its sad really because the game could have easily been an 8 or 9 rating if some more time and quality control so some of the really glaring and obvious issues was fixed before launch.

Another problem is that this game is barely a final fantasy game, its like a proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing, alot of the classic and core elements to any final fantasy game are 'kind' of there, but only skin deep. The 'open world' really isn't that open, and the impression that its huge...it really isn't that big at all considering thats really the only major play area in the game, Altissia is fairly small, and serves very limited purpose except for a couple of hunt quests and obviously, to slightly further the story along and the Gralia sections is just one linear route, in fairness Chapter 13 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be though, but the fact you have two extra islands that are practically wasted with limited things to do doesn't help.

The best parts of FF15 are its graphics and sound, these are exceptionally well created and honestly, the eye candy is so good that for alot of people reviewing the game, I'm honestly guessing they are just basing alot of the reviews on looks alone, and not gameplay.....ah...gameplay, thats where some of the major problems which hurt FF15 sadly, from nearly gamebreaking or quest breaking bugs like with the notorious Castlemark Tower bug, through to frustrating combat mechanics - the prime example here is Noctis spends most of his time knocked on his ass, it doesn't matter the monsters but almost 99% of the time, one hit will knock Noctis over unless you learn to dodge every single damn attack, and during fights against multiple foes, its nearly impossible to dodge everything.

Another major problem, and it was to be expected - the camera has problems, especially in dungeons or narrow areas, I've had the camera spin around uncontrollable, through to fighting in bushes with the bushes blocking all view of the battle. Another example of poor mechanics is how summoning works, basically the only summon you'll really ever see is Ramuh, since each summon has a very specific and core set of rules in order to summon, most of the time you'll only ever 'qualify' to summon Ramuh, and even then - its very inconsistent and a missed opportunity.

Another problem is how grindy post-game, SE..whats with putting break limits at 999AP? each, seriously? Whilst, its actually not hard at all to reach the current level cap -- its a very lengthy and boring process to gain large amounts of AP.

I could go on and on here, nitpicking every problem - but I'll close with this, FF15 isn't a bad game, its got moments where it shines, but its also got moments that will cause untold frustration - its obvious that more time was needed to craft a proper Final Fantasy game, whilst this is better than FF13, this still isn't up to the golden standard that the fans have come to expect. Whilst I still say FF15 is worth checking out for fans and newcomers, it doesn't live up to the hype.
  10. Dec 22, 2016
    The story is terrible nothing happens for 10 chapters then you suddenly have finished the game, combat system is made in the 90' and it's not a RPG at all, magic is boring and a complete waste of time.

Everything that you loved about all the old good FF is not in this game.
  11. Dec 5, 2016
    FFXV? More like GTA V meets God Of war... TERRIBLE LEVELING UP SYSTEM, TERRIBLE COMBAT, WHERES THE RPG ELEMENT TO THIS GAME? This game is an action adventure game. Tons of glitches. The storyline is pretty cool. graphics are amazing. Idc how they are dressed. I feel the battle system and the ascension system are terrible in this game. I would have to rate this Final Fantasy as the worstFFXV? More like GTA V meets God Of war... TERRIBLE LEVELING UP SYSTEM, TERRIBLE COMBAT, WHERES THE RPG ELEMENT TO THIS GAME? This game is an action adventure game. Tons of glitches. The storyline is pretty cool. graphics are amazing. Idc how they are dressed. I feel the battle system and the ascension system are terrible in this game. I would have to rate this Final Fantasy as the worst one I have ever played ( for fighting) and FF are fighting games! Swing n a miss SE! Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2016
    Disappointment is an understatement. I can not understand why lately some jrpg devs, including this one, have abandoned their jrpg roots and are actively attempting to westernise games. By doing so they are isolating loyal fans who will end up walking away from the series for good. Ffxv's story was so poorly told, the battles so easy (due to the title being short it seemed it was fluffedDisappointment is an understatement. I can not understand why lately some jrpg devs, including this one, have abandoned their jrpg roots and are actively attempting to westernise games. By doing so they are isolating loyal fans who will end up walking away from the series for good. Ffxv's story was so poorly told, the battles so easy (due to the title being short it seemed it was fluffed out with side quests resulting in too much early game exp), there are no female playable characters, the magic system is a joke, the open world in first half is empty and lifeless and the sheer screw you to loyal ff fans is obvious with the western overhaul. Who do you think got the series as far as it did? It was your old fans. Before some fan boy calls me a troll, I will point out I loved ff13-2, so thats saying something. The premise had so much potential. It almost feels as though square enix got greedy after supporting the development cycle for ten years and what was supposed to be all in game ended up being slaughtered into seperate elements eg; movie, dlc, season pass, game etc. If all of this was in the game as with the good old days it probably would have been amazing. Where is the integrity? If SE does the same to automata following the masterpiece that was nier I will happily walk away from the genre with fond memories but a sour taste in my mouth. Expand
  13. Dec 1, 2016
    I'll list the pro and con of the game:

+ Very good graphics and textures, especially on some monsters/bosses. + Very pretty environments - The battle system is to simple and lacks depth (the magic system is terrible). - Far too many "filler" fetch quests (almost all secondary quests are filler quests) which pales in comparison to secondary quests of games such as Skyrim, fallout or
    I'll list the pro and con of the game:

+ Very good graphics and textures, especially on some monsters/bosses.
    + Very pretty environments

- Far too many "filler" fetch quests (almost all secondary quests are filler quests) which pales in comparison to secondary quests of games such as Skyrim, fallout or the witcher 3.
    - The storytelling relies far too much on the kingsglaive movie and exposition.
    - The open world part of the game isn't exploited to its full potential, as free exploration isn't very well rewarded by the game (secondary quest have to be fetch mostly in town hubs, you generally can't stumble upon secondary quests by simply exploring the world as in other open world game).
    - Far too many time is spent in the car going backk and forth between quest hubs, which make play cessions boring.

It's far from being the worst JRPG I played, but it is far from being the best either. The game is disapointing as a Final Fantasy and makes me regret the older iteration of the franchise.
  14. Dec 1, 2016
    Average at best, and i´m already forcing t and with a lil bit of nostalgia factor.
    The story is bland and one of the WORST FF plots ever made, if you think FF12 had a horrible story...Man you gonna gate this!
    The main cast are ok, nothing out of this world but with the restriction to as only one character much of the game is lost. The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that
    The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that dumb how some people are saying but it´s not so bad like FF13. (i would like the old atb style but that´s me)
    the secondary cast are....are...nothing...already forgot them =/ (this compared to Final fantasy 6 or 7 are a joke, like the people who made this game never played a FF game before...just 13 =.="...Hell even 12 had more memorable side characters in the world that i can remember)
    If you like a western style rpg, with world adventure then maybe that´s the game made for you...If you like the old FF~Xenogears~Chrono style of story driven game....The stay away from this game like the plague! Or just buy later cheaper or even rent first and try yourself...
  15. Dec 20, 2016
    To clarify, I made a Metacritic account solely to review this overwhelmingly disappointing experience. As someone who was still in middle school when "Versus XIII" was announced and became increasingly excited over it's premise; I feel as though I waited long enough to expect a full, complete experience. A decade passed: the title changed, the movie and anime were released, tidbits ofTo clarify, I made a Metacritic account solely to review this overwhelmingly disappointing experience. As someone who was still in middle school when "Versus XIII" was announced and became increasingly excited over it's premise; I feel as though I waited long enough to expect a full, complete experience. A decade passed: the title changed, the movie and anime were released, tidbits of combat and story footage were shown and needless to say everyone, including myself were beyond ready. I'm not even a huge Final Fantasy fan in general, never really appealed to me but this one was different. After starting the game, I was pretty engrossed for the first few hours. The world was expansive and intriguing, characters seemed likable and the combat was flashy. However, as the hours dragged on, so did my experience. Personally, I was always more excited about the combat and exploration than the story. But the latter proved to be nonsensical. Minimalism is fine, but when taken to the extreme that is FF 15's delivery, it becomes problematic. And the real shame is how much potential it had to be fleshed out. The story itself isn't terrible, but the presentation is. Even after watching the contextual media that proceeded it; there are countless gaps in logic, multiple times when vital characters leave the entire game for no apparent reason and it isn't explained, and main villains basically meet ill-fates without any exposition as to what happened or how they got to that point. I will say, without spoiling anything, Ardyn was such a fantastic antagonist. But he was the sole reprieve from an otherwise convoluted plot that wasn't given the time or energy it needed to really shine. And "DLC will fix it" is unacceptable; a main story should at least have a plausible beginning, middle and end, especially for a game that was in development for so long and even received extra backstory before it's release. The combat was also underwhelming. The choice to not make triangle a secondary attack button for varying combos, or to even simply give your party different commands for different scenarios; the list goes on and on. The latter really bothered me because that's where 99% of the game's challenge arose from, your invalid party members dying repeatedly in one or two blows later on in the game when you could've easily told them to "defend" when it seemed necessary. Or to focus attacks on your target, etc. Instead, they rush in constantly with no regard for any semblance of tactics and you have to keep reviving them over and over as a consequence. It's not all bad, it can be fun to watch but holding down two buttons for the majority of your experience doesn't really constitute a "deep" overall system. Directional attacks, summons and magic are all implemented pretty well and some of the boss fights are truly incredible. Graphics and sound design are masterful for the most part and the dialogue isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking it might be. The driving is also a mixed bag, while it gives you a chance to soak up the awesome scenery, it quickly becomes a lost novelty as you sit there for minutes on end with dead-silence. The phrase "it's just a shame" resonates so heavily with so many factors of this game and it really is unfortunate. Even comparing it to something such as Wild Hunt; it's night and day in terms of overall combat mechanics, story structure and character development. I wanted so badly to enjoy this game but I am simply not understanding the praise this game is getting. It may be a result of the hype, but when you really examine it, the overall experience is a shallow one. It also only took me maybe 23 hours to beat while doing a decent amount of the primarily mundane side-quests. Felt absolutely no inclination to go back to the game for any reason, traded it back the day I beat it. My apologies for the long-winded nature of this review but I hope it helps some people on the fence about purchasing. I'd recommend renting it first because I know my opinion is the minority and you may really enjoy what it has to offer and I hope you do. I certainly wanted to. Expand
  16. Dec 3, 2016
    Game needed another 10 years in development to come up with decent sidequests.

Combat is almost automatic with the hold square to avoid all damage and if you're using a shield it's even more overpowered. A move where you take no damage at all can get even stronger. The way the hunts can only be done one at a time, sidequests don't show up on the map and the fast travel mechanic is
    Game needed another 10 years in development to come up with decent sidequests.

The way the hunts can only be done one at a time, sidequests don't show up on the map and the fast travel mechanic is designed is completely and utterly retarded. Do yourself a favor and do only the red missions up to the end of chapter 3 and you'll live a happier life. The occasional hunt to afford potions and weapons and the chocobo sidequest ONLY.

The camera in combat is of course gonna be bad in a game where you warp around everywhere, but it's made even worse when trees and rocks block your view completely.

The movement in areas where you can't fast travel or use your chocobo you're forced to walk really slowly with animations that interrupt what you're doing. It also disables your warp ability to get around faster for some reason. The slow ass ladder climbing and rock climbing makes no sense when Noctis can just teleport where ever the **** he wants.

Those are all the issues I had whilst playing through this game if you can live with those then you'll enjoy it.
  17. Dec 11, 2016
    What is FF's company doing? Pls... -.-

Let's start with the bad: MMO style questing. I'm not sure why this is even in an Final Fantasy, but it has no place in a single player RPG. It stretches the game out artificially. Combat: The combat is easy, but lacks depth. Holding square for automatic dodging seems like a cop out in terms of making the combat fun. The enemies run around in
    What is FF's company doing? Pls... -.-

Let's start with the bad:

Combat: The combat is easy, but lacks depth. Holding square for automatic dodging seems like a cop out in terms of making the combat fun. The enemies run around in combat and sometimes you have to chase them trying to get the killing blow. Its not innovative or fun after awhile, it becomes more of a task.

The open world design: I understand open world designs are popular with certain games, but I do not think Final Fantasy benefited from it. There is so much open world that there seems to be no purpose other than to hide things or make travelling take time. If the world were condensed it could look better and combat would probably be better due to added time to improve it during development.. They likely spent so much time to make this world and then littered it with monsters to slay. Random encounters in the old games could become annoying, but running around forever in a lifeless open world is definitely worse.

Progression: The ascension chart doesn't give you the depth or flexibility other final fantasies like 10 did. In 10 you could really build a character up the way you want. Here in 15 its pretty limited.

Characters: The game opens with Noctis being a child as his father sends him away. Having seen Kings Glaive and what happens to his father and the capital it made it more bothersome that the main character would be such a child under such serious conditions of war and an arranged marriage to restore peace. Add on that he is travelling with his 3 best friends who all look like teenagers who exclusively buy their clothes at hot topic and I'm not going to care too much about them. Everyone wants to write about how the story is about these 4, but that's trying to pick one positive out of the game and the story and it really should be about the kingdom and over coming evil. When the story is so bad that we try to make the relationships between the characters the reason to call it good its an even bigger failure. Also you don't really see much character growth from them.

There are not great characters that I want to see more of or admire. Go and look at FF4 or FF6. For SNES sprites those characters had more depth than the ones in FF15. Even FF10 had much better characters.

Side Games: Ever since FF6 and FF7 side games/activities have played a big part in Final Fantasy games. Here they seem like an after thought. The arcade games are terrible, time consuming, and not rewarding enough. Chocobo racing is okay, but not great.

That's it for the bad or I will never get to the good.

First good thing is that combat is easy. Anyone can beat this game.

For those who feel RPGs are too confusing this game makes everything very easy. Magic is kind of pointless and Summons make it even easier. Plus you can hide mid combat by hanging at certain points to heal.

The food looks really good and the boosts are nice. Actually the boosts are almost too nice that in some cases it seems like they lowered the players stats to put more focus on the cooking. Seems like they are still coping MMOs a bit still.

The auto pilot on the car is nice.

It runs relatively well, but I do seem the frame rate drop quite a bit.

that's all I have for good.

Honestly this is not the game fans expected or deserved. I feel like true final fantasy fans will have to live in the past because square isn't capable of making good games anymore. When I was growing up they were the top in the industry. Their games were massive and played really well. Square used to be on the cutting edge of graphics and here in FF15 the hair on the characters looks chunky.

I know a lot of people wanted this game to be great, so did I. The fact is that it isn't a great game. I don't care what critics say or release day reviewers. The game is not a 10, 9, 8 or 7. I could accept someone giving it a 6, but anything above that is a lie.

Now I know I'm no authority on this, but check videos on youtube and really look at the game. Don't just listen to the media campaign. We know companies pay for reviews and part of me wonders how many of these user reviews are actually people square paid to give the game a ten. I know that sounds a lot like a conspiracy theory, but square spent too much on this game not to take steps to guarantee its success. We have all seen the power of marketing.

18. Dec 3, 2016
    This game is a missed opportunity. It would have been a lot better if directed by Nomura which has more emphasis on interesting plot with characters building. Tabata on the other hand puts more emphasis on boring things like cooking/fishing. He completely turns the game around and stripped away nostagic FF elements, such as using magic and good plot. To me, Tabata is not known forThis game is a missed opportunity. It would have been a lot better if directed by Nomura which has more emphasis on interesting plot with characters building. Tabata on the other hand puts more emphasis on boring things like cooking/fishing. He completely turns the game around and stripped away nostagic FF elements, such as using magic and good plot. To me, Tabata is not known for storytelling and putting together cohesive story. Tabata is good at creating a powerful team, but he IS NOT a creative director. Let him be in charge of putting together a team and do marketing, but let Nomura direct the game pls!!!! Expand
  19. Dec 14, 2016
    This RPG is first of all, a crappy skyrim copy with final fantasy printed on it, and second of all, is literally annoying to play from start to finish, everything about it is tedious, too much travel, too much loading, the menus don't really function well, nothing feels convenient for the player, its as if they INTENDED for this game to be annoying to play.

The battle system leaves you

The battle system leaves you feeling like you have no control of the battle, nor awareness of it, i'm constantly baffled by my own party's terrible AI and surprised when all of the sudden everyone dies and i honestly have no idea why, or what to do about it, not to mention you cannot focus your attack on one enemy strategically. Battles are boring, you just hold 'O' till it's over and hope you don't have to use too many items to keep your guys alive. Enemies sometimes have brutal knockdown mechanics or simply ARE FLYING and you have no way to counter it, nor any way of disposing of large groups of enemies effectively. You have to create and equip magic spells individually (all of which have splash damage that hurts you), and make sure not to use up weapon slots because you need them for weapons YOU DON'T USE, THAT JUST BUFF YOUR CHARACTER, because there's no armor system.

The story?!?! Jesus Christ. You made a whole movie to set this story up, and halfway through the story, the entire storyline simply vanishes and gets replaced by a different villain, whose actions are barely explained, and none of the old characters get any exposition, nor is there any epilogue.

There is so much stuff in this game that is cosmetic and adds nothing to the game, and so many UI decisions that literally inconvenience the player and force you to wait and wait and wait. Wait for the upgrade, wait for the call, do quests and hunts, spend the night, warp to the car, warp to the rest spot, warp back to town, warp to the parking spot. It feels like a mess, it feels like its not cohesive, it feels like a frankenstein project they tried to smooth over, but could never get everyone on the same page.
  20. Nov 30, 2016
    I've been a fan the the FF series for quite a while now, however many fans have found the last few entries to be disappointing. With this new game trying to restore the once good name of Final Fantasy, and overcome the troubled development, and also create an experience for old fans and newcomers, Final Fantasy XV has a titanic task ahead of it. Does it live up to the hype? Short answer,I've been a fan the the FF series for quite a while now, however many fans have found the last few entries to be disappointing. With this new game trying to restore the once good name of Final Fantasy, and overcome the troubled development, and also create an experience for old fans and newcomers, Final Fantasy XV has a titanic task ahead of it. Does it live up to the hype? Short answer, not really.

FF15 isn't a bad game (although I'm going to rail on it and you're going to get really mad at me, but hear me out). It's just such a mixed bag throughout. The characters aren't bad, but compared to previous FF games, they're pretty bland. They look like four near identical emo boys who just got gift cards to Hot Topic The only way to tell them apart is their hair. When I think back to the diverse casts that had men, women, white, black, old, young, human, non-human, I remember how much I loved those old characters. These four dudes are fairly dull by comparison. Throughout your game you don't recruit new party members or get to choose from a list. It's just the same four boys all day every day.

The story is nonsense. It starts off fairly simple and I understood what was happening, even if it was pretty bland. But as the story ramps up, it quickly becomes incoherent, mainly because the game doesn't give you the information to understand what's going on. There is a supplemental anime and movie, but I didn't watch them, and from what I've heard they're pretty confusing as well, so I don't know that they would help. All I can say is, if I buy a game, it should have a coherent story without requiring me to watching 5 hours of other junk.

The gameplay consists of traveling and fighting. The traveling is mainly on foot or by car. The car drives itself, leaving you to just stare at the scenery for long stretches. You can manually drive, but the car is on rails, so you don't even steer. And since the car is limited to about 40 MPH, don't expect to get anywhere fast. Once you reach your destination with your car, you're frequently asked to run around for long distances to reach your goal. This often means spending several minutes running through open, empty landscape after you just spent several minutes driving through open, empty road. You can go long stretches of time (10+ minutes) with literally nothing happening.

Battles aren't much better. On the positive side, the battles are action packed. However, you don't really control much going on. You mainly hold down the circle button the entire time, occasionally blocking or warping. You can switch between different weapons on the fly, but they don't make much of a difference, except for sometimes dealing bonus damage on certain enemies. I was able to use the same strategy on nearly every fight in the game, because the game doesn't really ask you to use any strategy. Also, the camera likes to freak out a lot, and can become especially cumbersome when fighting large groups of enemies in narrow corridors.

Between missions you can visit various towns and pit-stops, but most have only a half dozen people in them and only a couple can interact with you. Open world games only work if you fill them up with people to see and things to do. The world of FF15 feels sparse and lonely.

The graphics are really nice, something that FF games are known for. However, most modern AAA games look great, so having good graphics doesn't really make you stand out from the crowd. The animations and character models are a mixed bag. During main story cutscenes, the graphics and animations look great, but during the side quest stuff, it looks like something from last gen or even older. Sometimes animations can look downright stiff and archaic.

The sound design is also a mixed bag. Sometimes the voice acting is quite good, other times it's laughable bad. Sometimes the music is good, sometimes it sounds like a 90's golfing game. Sometimes the ambient noise is immersive, and other times it's flat or absent. There's a "home theater" option in the audio menu, but I couldn't tell the difference between that and the default setting. I have Sony 7.1 surround sound headphones, which make most modern games sound incredible, but I found the sound mix in FF15 to be rather flat overall.

Really, at the end of the day, there are better open world games and better RPGs. FF15 isn't a terrible game, and I did get some enjoyment out of it, but overall the package feels lackluster. This is about as mediocre a FF game you can get. Not terrible, but not great either.
  21. Dec 2, 2016
    As someone who has played Final Fantasy games since the 80s, I, like many others, have a soft spot in my heart for Square Enix games. Unfortunately, there are some serious issues within the company, as you can plainly tell after playing FFXV. They obviously didn't learn anything from the catastrophic failure of FFXIV before they "fixed it" (it's still not great, btw).

First off, let's

First off, let's talk about the absolutely dreadful characters. A bunch of emo-looking, leather clad JPOP models running through the desert wearing leather. Is this a joke? Oh, and one has a British accent?! Come on, Japan. Seriously.

Also, the combat system is f***ing terrible. And yes, I know a lot of people like it, but a lot of people like black coffee too. Are they wrong? Yes. Yes they are. You can't tell who/what you are targeting half the time. Your "buddies" are all over the place doing god knows what and it's a huge cluster f*** until everything is dead. Sure, you can "give orders" and all that, but it's still a failure of a combat system. Set it to "wait" mode and it gets slightly better, but not much.

The graphics are ok, but it reeks of an outdated game model that actually got the green light. Save your money until the price drops. I'm already over it and haven't even left the main area. BTW, my 15 year old daughter hates it too, so it's not just a generation gap thing.

Square Enix, it's time you fired whoever it is over there that makes these horrible decisions. Swallow your "Japanese pride" and start making games that don't suck. We're all about done with your antics.
  22. Dec 6, 2016
    Cliche'd story without anything happening and horrible pacing.
    No sense of progression. The first time something noteworthy happens is chapter 9/15.
    One chapter is literally: Use auto travel to get to another outpost. Thats 1/15th of the plot! In a story driven game!!! During one mission you are tasked to capture an imperial officer. After you capture him a party member sais that he is
    Cliche'd story without anything happening and horrible pacing.
    During one mission you are tasked to capture an imperial officer. After you capture him a party member sais that he is taking him back to base only to tell you seconds later that he escaped. Even better: there was no reason to be on that mission in the first place. You simply get told to capture that dude by your party members and after he escapes it is like this mission has never happened.
    Cheap attempts of tragedy. Killing characters you have no reason to care for does not make an emotional story.
    Why have different costumes if your start with 3 additional custumes for each character that have worse attributes than the standard one? Only one costumes is obtainable later. Did the 3D artists run out of time?

Walking cliches as characters. You play the moody teen boy traveling with the loud and friendly 'big guy', the 'mature' nerd who wears glasses (in case you don't notice he is the nerdy guy) and the annoying and kind of simple minded guy who wants to take selfies all the time.
    Weird out-of-character behavior during cut-scenes.
    There is no reason for having a party. Only one character can be controlled. The others don't have a role in the plot. There is no dialog except senseless banter.
    Your companions are incredible one dimensional and don't have anything interesting to say after the first one or two hours.
    It feels like the intra-party dialog was implemented before the story was written so the dialog doesn't have any connection to the plot.

At one point. Noctis gets told that he can freely choose which three of his party members he wants to put on 'evacuation duty'. He cannot pick himself because he must fight the monster. Which three of his three companions might he choose for this important task?
    It is obvious that a bigger party system was planned but scrapped and the remnants are still all over the place.
    Glitchy 'interact' button. Every time you want to interact with something you will jump first because there is a tiny amount of velocity left. There is more than one button on the gamepad. Use them, dammit!
    Side quests are a bad joke. You can only run errants for shop owners etc. There are no side stories whatsoever. Weirdly, you don't talk to the shop owner to start a quest. Instead you interact with some arbitrary item in his vicinity. I know its not a big deal but its so weird. Especially with the super glitchy interaction button.
    The world is empty. Almost all quests amount to a bad walking simulator. No monsters, no treasures, no nothing. One level is a literal walking simulator on a train. Just walk for 10 minutes. Nothing to do. No one to talk to.
    The world doesn't feel big. It feels like your running around the same diner for the whole game. Every place has the same side quests.
    It feels like a camping trip instead of a journey to save the world. Plus: invisible walls everywhere.
    Horrible 'level-design'. Some places look like a $10 asset flip on Steam.

A combat system that is basically one continuous QTE. There is no challenge. Press 'evade' until the parry event triggers. Then press Attack. Continue until everyone is dead. Works for hordes of weak enemies and huge bosses alike. Party members are simply a decoy.
    Your player level and equipment hardly even matters since you are practically invincible while pressing 'evade'. Fights will take a bit longer. That is all.
    Inconsistent cover mechanic. Why have a cover mechanic when nothing can be used as cover. A tiny piece of rock? Sure. A wall? Nope.
    Broken as hell 'Wait' mode. Boss fights wont work with Wait mode because occasionally you have to wait for the boss to do something. That doesn't work if time stops when you do nothing.
    Unresponsive controls.
    Glitchy lock-on mechanic and completely broken camera system.
    The game has a surprisingly elaborate cooking mechanic that does not work with the major part of the game.
    The main story missions rarely include opportunities to cook meals and even if you plan ahead and eat before starting the mission you can be sure that the first step of any mission is to stay somewhere over night thereby canceling to effect of meals.

The whole thing feels like a tech-demo with some half-assed gameplay put on top afterwards. I was promised a story full of intrigue, treachery and tragedy. I must have gotten a faulty disc because none of that happened during my play through.

One time, a boss was stuck at 1HP and wouldn't trigger the next QTE. I had to re-watch 20 minutes of unskippable cut scenes and repeat 20 minutes of glitchy, un-losable fight (It is literally 'hold one button until the monster is dead' )
  23. Dec 15, 2016
    INCOMPLETE, RUSHED GAME. More than half a game is cut off.

INCOMPLETE, RUSHED GAME. More than half a game is cut off.

Wow what an insult to fans of the series. Having played the entire series multiple times and play this premaejac game is so disrespectful to diehards. You can fool the casual fans but this was just a hot mess. No prologue, no story focus, rushed chain of events, no character development or substance, boring fetch quests, too much time driving, trying to hard to be emotional when the characters themseleves aren't fleshed out, multiple plot holes all over the place, lack of closure, and is probably the shortest FF in terms of story. This is such a try hard wannabe RPG. JUST STOP! Tabata has once again proven to be an incompetent director like the mess that is Type 0. I rather have waited 20 more years for Nomura to direct this than the quickie given by Tabata. The only good thing is the fishing, they might as well have done a mobile game out of that and it would be more enjoyable. What a sad excuse for people waiting for 10 years...
  24. Dec 2, 2016
    Okay, so the game itself is not bad and I found many of the new systems a lot of fun. I am sure many will like it. I respect the Square for trying something new. Game design must always be looking to innovate and grow. However, this is a Final Fantasy title that was 10 years in the making and in the end, as much as I wanted to love this game, I got bored of it quickly and felt noOkay, so the game itself is not bad and I found many of the new systems a lot of fun. I am sure many will like it. I respect the Square for trying something new. Game design must always be looking to innovate and grow. However, this is a Final Fantasy title that was 10 years in the making and in the end, as much as I wanted to love this game, I got bored of it quickly and felt no nostalgia.

Previous Final Fantasy titles did many things right, however the series won my heart because it did two things better than most. 1. Had unique, quirky, emotional, tragic stories with unique and interesting characters that kept you playing. 2. Deep and strategic combat systems that gave you many options and strategies to choose from. Unfortunately this title misses the mark on both of these points. Thus it doesn't feel like a FF title for me. This is the ONLY main FF title I have felt this way about. Sure there were some better or worse than others, but this isn't a FF to me. That doesn't mean it isn't a good game, but it means that Square may not value what I do anymore.

Long time fans will likely be disappointed. The game tries too hard to appeal to everyone and in doing so loses its identity that made me fall in love with it. I am guessing most will beat it and then forget it as there are better arpgs out there.

Pros:
    - Music is amazing as always
    - Combat is passable. It gives me hope that Square can pull off transitioning from turned based/ATB combat to action combat in the future, but as I ilst in my cons it has many flaws.
    - Many fan favorite monsters are back bigger and cooler than ever
    - Summons felt epic, but you are unable to choose when you get to use them
    - Running around the world on a chocobo is awesome

Cons:
    - Combat is fairly mindless, the camera sucks, fighting in narrow corridors is frustrating, and team AI is bad. There is no deep strategy to combat compared to previous titles (excluding 13. that was mindless too). As a person who loves arpgs and turned bsed/ATB systems I am sad seeing turned based combat go, but okay with action replacing it as long as it is just as fun and engaging. Unfortunately it isn't right now. The real problem is that other arpg titles have much more interesting and fun systems. If I wanted to play a story rich arpg with great combat mechanics I would just play the Witcher (and i do). It is funny that FF10, which got a fairly mixed reception among fans, has a higher user metacritic ratings than 12, 13, and 15. All games that have tried to diverge from the turned based/ATB system. Is that an indication that their game quality has gone down?
    - Terrain and scenery is generic... One thing I loved about previous titles is that feeling of being in a world that you could tell was a fantasy world. It made me want to explore to find new and interesting things. Instead it felt like you were just exploring california. FF14 had more beautiful landscapes and scenery and it is a MMO.
    - MMO style fetch quests and go to the marker and kill this quests are everywhere. Why? Sure a few to break up the story is fine, but the problem is this is half the content. These activities do not advance a narrative or develop characters.
    - you only get a few spells to cast and your party AI casts them at the worst times or they run into the spell you just cast. Where are all the interesting spells that were in virtually every previous title?
    - Only having 4 party members that you begin the game with and only one of them playable. I can respect the ambition and trying something new that could have worked, but it is a huge con because....
    - Story is boring. I know this is subjective, but the game does a horrible job of explaining what is going on and there are little to no cut scenes (a staple of previous games). Without any spoilers, a horrible life changing event happens to the main character that you would expect him to have a difficult time with. However, he goes on running fetch quests and killing monsters for bounties like nothing happened. There is no urgency or life to the story. Something about magic crystals and warring nations. FF14 had neither of those things... wait..
    - The party members are boring stereotypes that hardly develop or make me care about them. The game is clearly a bro-trip with lots of bonding... The problem is all the characters were already best friends and seemed to be established before the game even starts. Thus leaving no room for growth. The creators said they did not add any female characters because the characters would act differently and they wanted the ability to write in bro bonding moments and guys being guys... However, the lack of diversity only detracted.

FF15 has currently an 84 metacritc rating and FF13 has an 83 score... that is essentially the same thing yet it has been panned by the community as being an awful game..Clearly they are either going in the wrong direction or not capable of creating anything better than their old systems.
  25. Jan 6, 2017
    Hello! I am 26 now, and started with Final Fantasy 8 as a kid, fell in love with it, got to the end of the third disk and could never find Rinoa. Lvled up 3 characters to 100.
    Next was beating Final Fantasy 9, pretty good, if unmemorable.
    Lastly was FF10, absolutely loved that game, bet it 3 times and consider it a masterpiece. I skipped past the next few (10-2 sucked btw) and got FF15
    Next was beating Final Fantasy 9, pretty good, if unmemorable.
    I skipped past the next few (10-2 sucked btw) and got FF15 a month ago.

After 20 hours gametime, I have gotten to the end of the main storyline in FF15. I have one bit to go but can't be bothered lvling up to beat it.

It's a real shame. I really wanted to like this game but it is a trainwreck. You start by getting thrown into the middle of a story where everyone knows each other. You're expected to jump into it, with the main character being engaged to some chick across the continent. You're a prince and your guardians are mates already, no idea why. Half an hour in, your father dies and it's meant to be sad, except I don't give a **** because I never got to see any decent character interaction. That sums up the story. It's all tragic but it's impossible to care because the storytelling is rushed and garbage. It's also super predictable and unimaginative.

The gameplay is also **** Much of the game revolves around walking, riding a chocobo or driving a car around a world that is way to freaking big. And the world is filled with nothing interesting to do. You can catch frogs or fish. You can take photos. The problem with this game is that it tries too hard to emulate real life. Real life is boring as hell and I don't play final FANTASY to relive that ****.

The open world does not suit this game. I wanted to do the main questline, even though the story sucks, just to be done with it. Sadly a bit of side questing is necessary and it's South American based, with full yee-haw accents. Good job Square-Enix, you have photorealistic outback environments with accurate voiceovers, too bad I don't care. The quests are all uninspired fetch quests.

Okay, onto the combat. Enemies are out in the field, and they have a circle of influence. If you enter the circle (some 50 yards usually) you are in combat, which is usually a **** The idea is okay, hit circle to attack, square to dodge and triangle to warp around. Now have 4 characters, 10+ enemies, rockets flying everywhere, snipers, poision spray and other **** Combine that with a spastic camera. Combat is usually a frantic pain in the ass.

Using items feels cheap, as unlike the old turn based FF's, it doesn't waste your time. So if I have 90 potions and 10 elixirs, good luck ever killing me. I can just use them whenever in the middle of battle and boom - instant hp. And it is necessary, as some fights are just **** with no control. At one point I encountered 3 separate monster packs together, and it was harder than any boss battle.

Another thing is the random level jumps in enemies. There will be a lvl 20 and a lvl 40 in the same area, and it makes you wonder what lvl the area is aimed at.

Overall, the only highlights of FF15 are the graphics. The music has its moments too. The overall experience sucks ass and reeks of a team that was too big, with no unified vision. I can tell the frustration in the team just through playing the game. It is a disjointed mess, and a sad waste of effort for whoever modelled and animated it, because they worked their ass off. I just can't bring myself to care about the game, it just feels like a chore to play.
  26. Jan 12, 2017
    The combat system is incomprehensible to me, everything happens too fast and feels overly chaotic. I don't feel like I am making choices or that i have any ability to control the combat. I don't see how the game has as good a score as it does. It irks me to no end that I have to manually control the camera.

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this title... that didn't happen.

P.S. I am amazed to see it included on many of the best games of 2016 lists and laugh to see No Man's Sky included on all the same lists.
  27. Dec 21, 2016
    Hajime Tabata ruined FF for me once and for all.
    Story, which is quintessential for every FF game, is garbage here. I was so dissapointed with the story, that post game didn't do any better. Deleted the game from my console and sold the disc. I'll never play any FF from Tabata. (Played almost all FF games and huge fan of series)
  28. Dec 1, 2016
    Just mediocre in every way. A lot of the 10 score reviews specifically mention the blatantly mediocre game features which is extra bizarre (like driving, or the character depth/story, or the combat system which is literally just holding two buttons - you can play this game blindfolded and win). This is the last time I ever buy a final fantasy title, and realizing that is quite depressing.
  29. Nov 30, 2016
    Give it credit for its scope and visual and some entertaining battles and dungeons, but this is more of an action game with Final Fantasy items than it is a true Final Fantasy game. The biggest issue is the lack of a full team. Everyones past FF experiences differed as they tended to favour different character combinations. But the traditional teams have had women, men, robots, animalsGive it credit for its scope and visual and some entertaining battles and dungeons, but this is more of an action game with Final Fantasy items than it is a true Final Fantasy game. The biggest issue is the lack of a full team. Everyones past FF experiences differed as they tended to favour different character combinations. But the traditional teams have had women, men, robots, animals and others. 4 guys for which you primarily play one is a real slap in the face of the fans who have for years enjoyed working with a large team of heros. If I was a female fan of FF i would be pretty steamed at this decision. Summons have little impact and are infrequent - this was always the best part of FF games. Weapon customization, job customization - instead you are left with the same basic characters for the enitre time. Get tired of Ignis - too bad, hes with you no matter what. Instead of truly looking to improve the turn based FF model, they jettisoned most of it in favour of a new game which is much less than the sum of its parts. its not a terrible game, it has pretty moments, but ultimately as a "FF" game - its more of a disappointment than a success. Expand
  30. Dec 8, 2016
    Well just played into 67th hours in the game. Planning to change my score so far
    Well im a long term final fantasy fan, don't get me wrong that i'm bias or something.
    Initially i gave this series a 10/10 but after long hours of gaming, i decided to change my score Pros - beautifully drawn characters and nice animations - superb combat gameplay (something refreshing) - good music

Pros
    - beautifully drawn characters and nice animations
    - superb combat gameplay (something refreshing)
    - good music

cons
    - very poorly written story
    - no female permanent character
    - so many pointless side quest- fetch quest
    - so few summons and magics
    - no romance in the show
    - very long loading time

Well i think the precious final fantasy series such as X, VII, VIII, IX, XII are a lot better than this series. What made them better than final fantasy XV?

- As i said before, the story. The story had no depth at all. Developer had been so focused on combat and animation but forgets to write a good story. What is the point? I would rather had good story and average animation in final fantasy
    - There are very little to no love story in this game. Look at lunarfreya, im not even sad after she had died. Because she had such a low screen time. Im sadder if iris died.
    - Love story is very important in every final fantasy series. Those without it tends to have poorer performances
    - And the side quest are so annoying. I freaked out doing side quest. Its one of the worst i have ever seen
    - One more thing is that no female supporting characters to control. I wished they could let iris stay longer in the group. This is so frustrating. Come on, most of the gamers for final fantasy are guys. Why are you showing me a group of nice looking males. Are we gay or what? At least show us some likable female characters that we can control in our main game play.
    - and look at the summons, the animation is very good but i can't use it whenever i want. It just came out randomly. And there are so few summons. And i hate the design of ifrit and bahamut. They are drawn so ugly
    - One more is the loading time. There are at one point where i would just want to throw the controller on the floor because of the freaking long loading time

Ok enough of my ranting, personally final fantasy is such a wasted potential. It had very good animation but very bad story. For square enix to take so long just to make such games, i can say that they are very unprofessional. Please square enix, make a better final fantasy game next time. Don't dissapoint us again with this bad storytelling.
  31. Dec 3, 2016
    The XVth installment of one of my favorite franchises is a horrible letdown. I allowed Enix to hype me to a great level, and I enjoyed both Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, which promised something grant. Alas, the more I went into the game, the more depressed I felt.

Let's get the good out of the way, for the sake of integrity. The music is one of very few things that will let you know that you're playing a Final Fantasy game. The moment a battle started I felt some nice vibes long time not felt. Then, the general premise of the game is amazing (though the execution thereof is abysmal) and Lunafreya might just well be the most amazing Final Fantasy character to date. Also, Noct's teenage angsts in view of the grim situation he finds himself in are nicely developed. Gameplay-wise, the leveling system is the best thing that happened to JRPGs since the sphere grid.

But.

For a game that was in development for 10 years, it is surprisingly pedestrian. As mentioned above, the overall idea for the story is great, but it is directed poorly. It is short, lackluster and incoherent, to the point I got myself thinking if the translation from Japanese was botched Final Fantasy Tactics-style and that's why the script felt like borderline lunacy.

Doing silly side quests along the way does not help at all. I really advise skipping them and doing only the main story for your first playthrough, it actually improves the experience. Unfortunately, it is not The Witcher 3, where most of the side missions are so intertwined with the story you sometimes aren't sure if it's the part of the main arc or not. At the very least, they fit the wartime atmosphere and the protagonist's profession. Here, the quests is random generic stuff, and putting it the gloomy premise that your family is dead and you're the only heir of a kingdom occupied by a Third-Reich-like empire that wants your head is just not right. The atmosphere of a road trip is adequate only to some point, and after some events take place I was expecting something like going underground and a fellowship-of-the-ring journey, but all I got was four happy-go-lucky millennials doing whatever they feel like at the moment, like fishing, or taking goofy photos during an enemy raid, and completely ignoring the fact that they're seriously screwed. Nope.

The graphics is "just okay", I'm actually quite baffled by it being praised all around the web. The models of the main and main-supporting characters are great, many of the locales are really outstanding, but to balance this, some parts of the world look like a generation below. In towns some non-essential NPCs look like taken directly from FFX, and you can see their exact clones sometimes mere meters from each other. It is that bad.

The world is huge, but astoundingly unremarkable and painfully empty. It is great and monumental to watch from the car, but as soon as you get off Regalia, you are treated to vast and plain nothingness. Exploration is a bit meh, and traveling by foot will bore you to tears, as both enemies and points of interest tend to be scant (the former is especially bizarre for a FF game). Dungeons have the graphic suggesting they are generated procedurally and mostly feel like a chore.

And there are those small things that make you involuntarily facepalm in utter disbelief. No, not only the revelations of the dumbest Final Fantasy story ever, although they definitely get the cookie. They are small things. Like invisible walls, or obstacles on the level of Noct's bellybutton, which he can't get through; or the moments, when you climb a higher ground and realize you can't jump over a wall just below, because it invisibly extends to the sky. Or those moments, where you slowly move over a thin ledge, and your teammates won't go over it unless you look away to allow them magically reappear next to you - because they don't have the animation to go over the ledge. Or the moment where one of your teammates is whisked off by a Mysterious Something, which happens, of course, when you're not looking, and you try to locate him by listening to his screams, but you can't, as the audio is inconsequential and all over the place. Small things? True, but for a PS4 game 10 years in the making? From one of the most experienced developer in the gaming industry ever?

If it was a spin-off game, or another Square franchise, made on a whim in a year, I would let it go. But as a person who played every single Final game since FF4, and of an opinion that most of them constitute some kind of a breakthrough not only in the genre, but in the industry at all, I do not only feel disappointed, I feel plain offended
  32. Dec 19, 2016
    Tabata is a failure as a director not in terms of financial success, but being a creative driving force while Nomura had the vision but was crappy at deadlines, if he stayed the director he would have had a finished product albeit longer time to get released. What Tabata did was basically destroy 80% of the game and did what he could with the remaining content which is bad. Bad repetitiveTabata is a failure as a director not in terms of financial success, but being a creative driving force while Nomura had the vision but was crappy at deadlines, if he stayed the director he would have had a finished product albeit longer time to get released. What Tabata did was basically destroy 80% of the game and did what he could with the remaining content which is bad. Bad repetitive combat (basically hold phase out to never get hurt lol), bad disconnected story with multiple plot holes (what happened to Ravus, where's cor? where did Gladio go oh wait paid dlc, who the hell is jared and talcott, no point of Umbra and Pryna, stella had more time in the trailer than luna who was a glorified plot device LOL), and weak characters with no character development unless they cut out huge portions which they did, boring driving and fetch quests which is the majority of the game, inaccessible lands like the continent for Nifleheim and Tenenbrae as well as Insomnia and Altissia and Chaos Realm, and a crappy cringey forced ending. Wasted millions of dollars on Kingsglaive (sucked), Audi, Brotherhood (boring), making food look good, entire UNCOVERED event and mass marketing when they could have focused all resources to COMPLETING a game. Because of this game, any Tabata game will diminish in preorders and release day sales due to bad User reviews. SE is on it's way to becoming a pachinko business. But I will anticipate and buy any Nomura products if they are ever released because although his games have flaws, they are complete and are always classics with a great creative mind. Thanks SE...not! Expand
  33. Dec 19, 2016
    - Terrible plot with many flaws and irrelevant characters.
    - Story had a great potential, mas Hajime Tabata's director ruined it.
    - The majority of scenes showed on trailers since 2013 doesn't appear in game.
  34. Dec 10, 2016
    I am complete dumbfounded as to how this game currently has a user score of 7.9. Does SE have some kind of paid reviewer campaign to bump up the score?

Don't be fooled. This game a complete sack of dog **** Do not buy this game if you're a final fantasy fan. Do not buy this game if you're a fan of ARPGs or WRPGS. Do not buy this game if you're a fan of games in general. It straight up sucks no matter what type of game you are looking for.

I'm keeping my review spoiler free but I'll just say this - The story sucks and it's short. You start off with your entire crew, NO BACKGROUND as to why they are even friends or together in the first place. You meet a bunch of people once or twice but apparently very familiar with them but the story explains none of it. Everybody you meet you leave the interaction asking "why does my character know this person and why do I care about what they have to say?" In summary, you will get nothing satisfying from the story.

With that out the way, let me go into the pros and cons of the rest of the game:

Pros:

+ Graphics are decent. However it is apparent that there is quite a bit of reuse from when this game was intended to be put on the PS3.
    + Townz and a World Map (barely, more on this)

Cons:

- The combat is complete ass. It's two button combat, there is no depth or strategy. Just attack an dodge by holding down the button (you dont even have to time it properly). They made the game so easy it's impossible to die. There is nothing tech or complicated about the system.

- The magic system is complete ass. Instead of casting magic, you craft it using mats you find into a sort of alchemy bomb. Once you do this, you have to use your weapon slots for magic, there is a cooldown once you pop it, and you only get a maximum of 3 charges. One it runs out you have to go back into the menu, craft more, or equip something else or just run around like a dumb ass with one of your 4 weapon slots empty. Why would you ever create a system where you have to constant go back into the menu during battle over and over to use magic? Seriously what the ****

- Townz and a world map are great, but they also decided to add roads to and from every town along with a car......yes a car. This is final fantasy right? Not only that, much of the game involves driving from town to town doing bull**** quests so most of the game you are just sitting there staring at the ass of your car. Boring. There is a fast travel option, but that pops a loading screen that takes as much time or even longer than traveling there manually. Oh by the way, even though you have "manual" control of the car you can't go off the road. Dumb. Next time, make the townz closer together and stick with Chocobos for ground travel.

- Crappy characters. Why am I going on a adventure with 4 jpop stars that all look and dress the same? I couldn't care less about this sausage fest. No playable female characters seriously? Just the same emo dudes going on a bro trip all game. I couldn't even think of a worse idea than this.

- The leveling system is ****ty. You get EXP for just talking to people or driving around instead of only from killing mobs or completing quest. You can talk around town talking to a few different people, sleep in the inn and pop a few levels. Oh yeah lets talk about that. In this game, instead of poping levels as soon as you get enough EXP, you have to sleep at a inn or camp to have that exp actually tallied. Why? What is the purpose of this system other than just to add extra annoyance for the player? These is nothing strategic about requiring sleeping at a inn for your EXP to really count. Also, levels dont add much to your stats anyway and there not even much stats in the game anyway. FF has been on a long trend of dumbing down the amount of stats characters have, well this game just took it to the logical conclusion of only having HP and MP (and not MP for magic.....) pretty much.

- Another sphere grid, one I couldn't care less about. You get very very few new abilities from this sphere grid, nothing really all that exciting. Leveling up used to be a fun process to unlock tons of new abilities for your character, not so much here. From level 1 to level 99 you will pretty much be using your character the same way.

- Although this game is open world, which I consider a plus, there is actually only one continent you can freely explore. There is not really a entire world map with different kingdoms and different continents you can visit. Also, in the open world you can explore, it's largely empty and uninteresting.

In summary, on it's own, this is just a bad game. Do not buy it.
  35. Dec 1, 2016
    I am going to take an approach on this game that I don't think many will do. I am not going to review this game based upon what I expected of it, but instead how it compares to the video games as a whole. I will then compare it to past final fantasies as a fan.

Overall, this is game comes across as a fancy, convoluted version of a beat-em-up like Devil May Cry. The story is less cheesy, and the characters are less annoying, but actually somehow have less personality than characters in those games. The combat is absolutely ridiculous like most average games now, it plays most efficiently (like you can do other things, but why exactly?) when played as a total button masher. There is even a combo meter to your left, and slow motion so you can look as Keanu Reeves as possible.

It really plays like your average action or action RPG game. Sort of like Fable or something. That's, uh, fine I guess. The monsters are cool and creative looking, it sort of captures the final fantasy look.

One thing I will give this game is that it looks great compared to most other games, despite the fact that it looks less stunning as advertised.

It's not really this true open world that it was claimed to be. At least not like Skyrim It's about as open world as having a loading screen that is a car that goes from point A to point B simply for the sake of visuals. It's rather empty and definitely lacks things to do that aren't literally the same exact sort of task with a different skin.

The story is dumb and nearly non-sensicle, but so are most video game stories that attempt to go beyond the realm of simplicity of a game like Zelda or Mario, so this is fine.

The music is very average. Pretty-much could be stock music from another video game and I wouldn't really know the difference. And I know a lot about music, composition, etc. Most of it is extremely simplistic harmonically and melodically, basically a skeleton chord progression with an oft-used melody the majority of the time. Completely different animal than the extremely creative tunes of which the industry has been bare for some time now. More along the lines of the safe stuff you're taught when you begin college for music and are taught "everyone likes." Doesn't really reek of expertise and weathered artisanship like a lot of older games did. There is too much downtime in a genre like RPGs to not have good music. It is extremely important for that reason, and probably a big reason why the old final fantasies had a step up over other RPGs (and I'm exploring why music is important to RPGs right now, not comparing the music of this game to other FFs).

So in terms of comparing this to other video games, I give it a 6, because of the more creative enemies than your average game now (average is a 5 by definition), and great graphics, downsided by the musical score which is necessary for a game with so much downtime to work.

Compared to other Final Fantasies:

This game is total trash. It is like buying Blue Label only to take a sip and discover it is Piper's Clan. Of course, this is after this has already happened once (FFXIII I'm looking at you), so we all must be pretty god damn dumb.

Where do I start? Combat has never been FF's strong point, but it has at least always remained interesting through 3/4s of the game only for your character to become too strong if you had any sense of work ethic and din't always run (and then heavy reliance upon status resistance on the games part for harder enemies). There used to be strategy, careful equipment selection, wide variety of character types. You now control one enemy and press one button. Garbage. Moving on.

Graphics: I mean, yea they're good so points here.

Music: Like **** you guys. Seriously, **** you. You give us 10 games of Nobuo and then this **** for the past 3 titles? Like I said it is incredibly important that this music is good because most of our time will be spent running around and talking. Get the **** out of here with this beat box electronica **** and symphonic orchestra playing I-V-I stuff. Bring back the risky, modal, impressionist, colored type tunes that really have a soul to them.

Story: Holy **** I don't have enough characters but all you have to know is that it's garbage, and makes no sense even when compared to the worst of pre-enix final fantasies.

Characters: **** All overly stoic or autistic. Prompto is more autistic than Titus, which was made better by the fact that the game was totally self aware of it.

Immersion: There is no immersion in this world. The environments are all similar enough that it's just hard to imagine there existing such a place where is no contrast with itself. The world is totally empty compared to past final fantasies that are totally ridden with things to discover on every screen and every corner.

Overall I give it a 1/10 on the final fantasy scale. This is like buying a corvette and receiving a SmartCar.

Do not buy unless you are expecting a Fable type game.
  36. Nov 30, 2016
    Not a bad game, but still a bad Final Fantasy. Combat system is boring, characters are so flat that I have absolutley no connection with them and I don't care about what happening with them.
    8/10 as a game
    4/10 as Final Fantasy
    Overall 6/10
  37. Dec 3, 2016
    As a game, I would probably give this a 6 or 7 out of 10. As a Final Fantasy game, its atrocious. Its very clear that SE is trying to appeal to the new generation of western gamers, there is absolutely nothing here for old time fans of the old Nintendo, PS1 and early PS2 games. Its not Final Fantasy, at least not as I know it to be.

Gameplay: While some aspects feel incredibly

Gameplay:

While some aspects feel incredibly polished, its clear that all their efforts were put into the wrong area. The way that Noctis moves and how he is animated is simply fantastic. If only I could say the same for the combat. To me it feels as if they couldn't decide what they wanted and started over far too many times. It feels directionless and hollow.

The combat is essentially kingdom hearts except less fluid and with nothing to test your skill at all. It is quite literally hold Square to win. Kingdom Hearts had interesting boss mechanics and ways that enabled you to strategize and try taking down bosses in different ways. Boss fights in FF15 boil down to a glitchy mess most of the time, and the rest of the time is you trying to use the camera properly.

One boss fight I remember very clearly toward the end of the game really exemplified one of the other major issues with the combat. This issue is the item system, it makes it near impossible to lose, in fact I didn't game over even once during combat in the entire game. This is because when you run out of HP the game gives you plenty of time to just use an item and restore ALL of your health, I really don't understand how they managed to make such an awful system with all the time they had. The item system feels almost shoehorned in, there are no meaningful decisions to be made, its just spamming high potions and elixirs every time one of your useless party members gets hit (which is rather often since they can't seem to do anything for themselves). This halts the combat and makes the experience feel extremely jarring.
    Back to the boss fight I mentioned earlier, I won't spoil who it was, but its just before a rather key moment with the crystal. I spent probably 80% of the time of that boss fight in the item menu using elixirs and high potions on my allies, there was litterally no way to apply any sort of strategy, it was just running around aimlessly as his HP decreased somehow. The most key boss fights of the game amounted to no more than awful looking quick time events. The biggest offender is the Titan boss fight which was absolutely atrocious. Another issue was against Leviathan and the Final boss. The Leviathan boss fight had Noctis flying around launching his weapons as if he was an attack helicopter. I literally held circle and moved around at random to win, it was pathetic, the final boss also had a section like this. They both should have just been a cutscene considering it was impossible to die.

Music and Atmosphere:

While the score composed by Yoko Shimomura is fantastic, it barely plays at all on the open world. I came out of the game having not remembered a single track other than the ones played in the trailers. In Final Fantasy games of old every area had its own memorable and interesting theme. Unfortunately I can't say the same for FF15, for me this was the most disappointing thing. I can't even remember the Final boss theme, if it even had one. Its very clear even the developers recognized this issue considering they gave us an MP3 player to play the music of the old games. While I wasn't personally a fan of the road trip aesthetic, It certainly had some moments with great atmosphere along with a sense of Comradery.

Story:

Oh dear, where should I begin? The first half felt void of any story at all, I was often doing things that seemed to have no importance on the overall narrative at all, then the second half shoves the shallow plot down your throat with next to no explanation of what is really going on. The only two characters than even developed at all were Gladiolus and Noctis, even then it wasn't by much. "Major" characters shown in trailers basically never appeared, I was incredibly disappointed with the way some of these characters ended up being portrayed. Its hard to talk about this without giving major spoilers but it was incredibly disappointing. One example is the dude that joins your party with the Buzz-cut and Katana (I cant even remember his name for crying out loud), he has no effect at all on the narrative, he has no backstory, I don't even see the point. Speaking of backstory, the game relies FAR too much on its anime for the development of the main cast. This stuff should have been in the game. While the story certainly had some impressive cutscenes, especially with some of the summons toward the end of the game, the overall story ended up being incredibly shallow, rushed, had a lack of character development and was incredibly vague.

Overall the game took me 22 hours to finish the main story, I would be willing to forgive its short length if the narrative was actually good
  38. Dec 14, 2016
    I was looking forward to this game and got it on the day of release, but never have I ever gotten rid of a game in less than a week of playing because it's just that bad. I completed the story in 20 hours, and the story fails to engage you in any real way, or to shine a light on any characters to make you care about them. It's the least enjoyable, and least memorable story I've everI was looking forward to this game and got it on the day of release, but never have I ever gotten rid of a game in less than a week of playing because it's just that bad. I completed the story in 20 hours, and the story fails to engage you in any real way, or to shine a light on any characters to make you care about them. It's the least enjoyable, and least memorable story I've ever experienced in any RPG, let alone how short it is. Even if you were underwhelmed by the story like me, you'd hope that at least the endgame content would be extremely epic. Sadly no..... actually this part of the game is even worse than the first 20 hours. You'll spend your time watching your car auto drive around a Texas style setting, you might hop out and run around some wetlands and when enemies appear you just hold the attack button and auto kill anything. If your health runs low you just pop potions and rinse repeat, this gets tedious real quick. I failed to enjoy any music score throughout the game because you spend most of your time listening to music from previous final fantasies, I didn't find any of the other music memorable like it usually is. Side quests are a complete joke, and there's far too many of them. I almost feel like I should rate this game a little higher, maybe because the graphics are nice or something.... But no, for a game that couldn't entertain me for even 1 week, it's just not a game worth playing or spending any money on, I'd sooner give FFXIII another playthrough than play this. Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2016
    This is a tough one. I've always had a soft spot for Final Fantasy, and I can't say I hate any installment, bar the 13 series (if only because it's soooo boring). Having said that, I think FF XV is an okay installment. It's got some pretty graphics, there's plenty of cute girls AND guys (for the people who enjoy looking at models straight out of victoria's secret). The combat is decentThis is a tough one. I've always had a soft spot for Final Fantasy, and I can't say I hate any installment, bar the 13 series (if only because it's soooo boring). Having said that, I think FF XV is an okay installment. It's got some pretty graphics, there's plenty of cute girls AND guys (for the people who enjoy looking at models straight out of victoria's secret). The combat is decent enough, you got option. You got summons. The movement is okay, nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately that's really all I can say positive about it.

Now for the negatives. The car, which I was excited for, is nothing more than a glorified waypoint traveling device.You barely have any control in it, I find it impossible to use off roads, and if I'm being honest, the game would've been better if you just instantly teleported to your next destination. It lacks the punch and pizazz of a cool airship, and I don't think you get the flying car anywhere near when it would be useful. Too little, too late i'm afraid.

The story is even more out there and nonsensical, especially by Final Fantasy standards.There's a war and some magical curse and the moon is evil (Majora's Mask anyone?) and Noctis has to do something. I couldn't be bothered to pay attention.

The lands you travel over are so devoid of life. And when you finally do find some generic mob to beat up, they die almost instantly. It once again falls prey to the Final Fantasy formula of enemy mobs being weak enough to not warrant wasting status effects on, but at the same time they're not strong enough to warrant investment in any fight. You just mash the button and the game plays for you once you really understand how combat works.

After 10 years in development, this wasn't worth the weight. There's redeeming factors, like the music and the occasional pretty setpiece, but at the end of the day it didn't grab my attention.
  40. Feb 20, 2017
    Final Fantasy 15 feels like it should have been called Type-0 2. It lacks all the elements of a traditional Final Fantasy game. It starts off with an incoherent story. It feels like there are three story arcs going on in the beginning, but none of them result in a satisfying conclusion. Instead, we are sitting through Noctis's road trip. At no point in the game does it feel like a coherentFinal Fantasy 15 feels like it should have been called Type-0 2. It lacks all the elements of a traditional Final Fantasy game. It starts off with an incoherent story. It feels like there are three story arcs going on in the beginning, but none of them result in a satisfying conclusion. Instead, we are sitting through Noctis's road trip. At no point in the game does it feel like a coherent story. Noctis's friends already know each other very well and you only get to know them a little more through a few scenes at certain gas stations. It feels like three or four different stories were patched together to make a game with the final story arc being what should be the real story of the game.

The game allows Noctis to switch between four different weapons and one of those can be magic. The problem is that magic is extremely scarce and hard to come by. If you give it to your allies, they blow all of it near instantly, forcing you to use it yourself. For the most part, magic feels impractical and you are forced to use your main weapons. There are also Royal Weapons that are acquired from tombs throughout the game, but they drain your HP and are thus also impractical.

Combat isn't that good as well. It feels like a dumbed down version of one of Square-Enix's action RPGs. You just hold Square to defend and Circle to attack. Triangle and the D-Pad are basically for special attacks at this point. There just seems to be very little when it comes to combat. I feel like most of the time, I am just defending until I can get a Parry and Counter. Most enemies do not flinch from your attacks, forcing you onto the defensive while they just attack aggressively.

The large world itself is massively disappointing. There are a few diverse regions, but it is populated by a whole lot of nothing, just open fields and if you are lucky, you will see a few monsters. Most monsters are encountered through instanced hunts until much later in the game. You will rarely run into anything in the wild, even if you are deliberately looking for a fight. There are invisible walls around many rocks that appear for no apparent reason, even when you should be able to clearly jump to them. You will spend a majority of the game just watching Noctis and his friends ride in a car as you go from point A to point B. They needed to cut the distance between destinations by like 90%. There was no justification to having such a large and pointless world when you're not even going to populate it with anything.

A big problem I ran into during the course of the game was extremely long load times. When I press Load Game, it takes the game up to two minutes to load sometimes with two separate loading screens. Using fast travel results in massive load times. There are times when the game loads into a black screen and I have to wait even longer before I can move or do anything.
  41. Dec 1, 2016
    It is not Final Fantasy, even it play as a masterpiece.
    To young generation, it might be a nice move in marketing, however, I am the player who have played FF series since the first copy of FF. Love it still, but ff15 cannot touch me anymore. If that what Square Enix want to, I should sadly say, well done, this is a fun game, but I am not your fan anymore
  42. Nov 30, 2016
    the game is good, have nice graphics , but combat is so ez, is more about graphics than gameplay and story, even the map have the same divition than xenoblade. and the story is really bad, also the characters are generics. so bad compare to old FF.
    but is guess if u just have play PS games since 3, its ok.
  43. Mar 12, 2017
    Seriously, this is truly one awful game. The story is pretty much non existant. The side quests are the worst in an RPG to date (deliver tomatoes, collect frogs, find wax for your car, collect dog tags... seriously wtf?). The combat is garbage and essentially consists of holding two different buttons. The world is too big and empty, they clearly made the retarded choice of favoring sizeSeriously, this is truly one awful game. The story is pretty much non existant. The side quests are the worst in an RPG to date (deliver tomatoes, collect frogs, find wax for your car, collect dog tags... seriously wtf?). The combat is garbage and essentially consists of holding two different buttons. The world is too big and empty, they clearly made the retarded choice of favoring size over density. The graphics range from good to garbage. This is probably the worst FF game I've ever played. The only FF thing about this game is the logo, that's it. Stay away from this garbage at all costs. Expand
  44. Nov 29, 2016
    Surprising that after 10 years in the making this feels rushed and uninspired.
    This clearly shows signs of a spin off turned mainline game. (started as "Versus XIII").
    Pros: - Has some true Final Fantasy feel to it. The classic monsters, the weapons, chocobos. The characters, while underdeveloped and plain, do feel like genuine FF characters. - The soundtrack has some really
    Surprising that after 10 years in the making this feels rushed and uninspired.

Pros:

- The soundtrack has some really nice tracks (though it's not as consistent as other FF entries)

- The Open World is beautiful from an aesthetic point of view

- The combat is actually fun and fluid, although it is not challenging enough imo.

Cons:

- The main character cast is one of the worst in the FF franchise. They are not annoying like in FF 13, they are just so uninteresting. Don't expect unique characters like Vivi / Cloud / Celes etc..

- The world is kinda dry. This is a game that is open world just for the sake of being open world.
    The side quests are (usually) repetitive without incentive to do them and the towns and cities are lifeless.
    If you are going into this game expecting Witcher3 level of world and side quests - not even close.

- Camera issues.. in a game 10 years in the making..

- Some mechanics were obviously added on as an afterthought- magic and summons
    Magic in this game takes a backseat (kinda reminds the draw system from FF VIII) and battles usually revolve around physical attacks.

- The story is a mess in my opinion, don't wanna go into spoilers

If I had to compare it to other FF games I would say it's better than later iterations like FF XIII and FF XIII-2, but it is way less enchanting than the more classical entries like 6,7,10 and even 12.

Not bad overall, but leaves me feeling a bit disappointed.

45. Nov 29, 2016
    The series has veered so far off course from what made it great in the first place, it's essentially UNRECOGNIZABLE. This is not Final Fantasy. I'm not sure what this is.

Nevertheless, I'm not going to hate for the sake of hate. (notice I didn't give the game a zero.) Here are some pros and cons: Pros: --Cut-scene graphics are very impressive. --Clearly a lot of time was put into

Pros:
    --Cut-scene graphics are very impressive.
    --Clearly a lot of time was put into the game.
    --Combat can be exhilarating at times.
    --Enemy/Boss design is fantastic.
    --Characters/Story/World may appeal to certain people.
    --I hear things later in the game get better, but personally I don't want to wait for that.

Cons:
    --Story is preposterous, even for this genre.
    --Main cast's looks and personalities are uninspired (this one is the most disappointing because that used to be the series' strong suit.)
    --Main cast never. shuts. up.
    --Combat can be very repetitive (you can literally just hold circle for much of it.)
    --Traveling, at least at first, is excruciatingly dull (in your car, you're unable to even veer off the road!)
    --Side quests are often boring (think typical "fetch" quests.)
    --It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy, at least not to me.

Again, there may be people who will enjoy it. Judging by the other reviews, there are already quite a few.
  46. Nov 29, 2016
    Final Fantasy in name only. After 10 years of work, nothing was delivered other than disappointment.
    One good thing was the combat, but just like other FF games it does get repetitive. Everything else just falls flat.... characters, story, visuals... nothing felt special. I will continue with it but not holding out for much hope at this stage.

What a let down.
  47. Dec 3, 2016
    The tidal wave of unwarranted 10's from fanboys is expected. Anyone who gives a 10 or a 0 should just be ignored.

On topic of the game. Well, this is basically SE's interpretation of what they think westerners want. Nobody can argue that this game was most certainly not designed for the Japanese, or even traditional JRPG fans. In a nutshell, it's a graphical tech demo, not a

In a nutshell, it's a graphical tech demo, not a game. The "game" elements are about as shallow and non existent as you can get. I simply can't believe the sunshine that people are blowing up this worthless pile of trash's butt.
  48. Dec 5, 2016
    FF15 is made up of 10% Final Fantasy, 10% Grand Theft Auto, and 80% sheer frustration.

This is a niche game. You might like it if you like things like: - reality tv shows - boy bands - emo kids - watching people take selfies - sitting in the back seat of a car for long periods of time - the cloths that bouncers wear at nightclubs - watching other people go glamping You will

This is a niche game. You might like it if you like things like:
    - reality tv shows
    - boy bands
    - emo kids
    - watching people take selfies
    - sitting in the back seat of a car for long periods of time
    - the cloths that bouncers wear at nightclubs
    - watching other people go glamping

You will likely hate FF15 if you like things like:
    - memorable characters
    - awesome art direction
    - engaging story
    - epic adventures
    - complex combat
    - final fantasy

FF15 is not a bad game, its just not a good game. In the gaming renaissance we are in, there are just so many more games worth your time. Now that I'm a little bit older, I don't have time to waste on bad games and am forced to prioritize what is truly a good game or not a good game. Sadly, this is just not.

There are some positives, but with so many negatives to counteract each.
    -The monster design is very good; but the combat has you flying around at light speed so that you cant ever really even see what you are fighting.
    -The scale of the game can get crazy, but you never really interact with the massive scale in any interesting ways.
    - A massive effort was put into the graphics, but they shine in mundane places like how fish look or the food looks. While in the car or in combat, the constant motion creates a blur that muddies the graphics. Everything is moving to fast to really enjoy anything.
    - There is live action combat, but it gets old very fast, never developing past the tutorial. In terms of live action combat, there is no denying that it is unique, but it is also the most simple combat system I've ever played in any action or RPG game.
    - The chars go against everything FF; only one playable char, only 4 people total in your party and no fantasy chars or even women.
    - There is a massive realistic world map, but most of the time you are annoyingly footslogging along or battling the games map mechanics to fast travel around. Car driving is as intricate as holding R2 or even just letting someone else drive you around. There are parts where you can control the car freely, so the mechanics are there, but they just decided to force you on a track for most of the game where you can literally just let the game play itself and go do something else.
    - Every time you go to activate something it tells you to press X. If you press X when prompted, most of the time you just jump for no reason. You have to learn to wait slowly so you don't confuse the game.
    - The story is a series of mundane quests to get to something interesting. Drive to the gas station. Walk around a town market. Pitch a tent. The side-quests are complete drivel; a mixture of fetch quests and kill quests less interesting than decade old MMOs. Feed a stray cat, go buy a tomato or a million quests to go click on a dot on the ground and then return.
    - The voice acting is not bad and very deep but the context is just not engaging. "Hey bro - you mad bro?". Its hour after hour of some emo kids having a bro-down. Also most of the time the lips dont match up so it's like watching a dubbed movie.
    - The character design is the worst in the series history. Not a single interesting protagonist or antagonist to be found. In order to make up for the lackluster char design, they threw in inappropriate cleavage and schoolgirl outfits as a consolation prize. enjoy.

For those of us old enough, we remember FF7 and how it changed gaming forever, and a few later games that rode its legacy before the key devs had to retire and the games started being made by people who definitely never played the games that made the franchise what it is. Hoping that the next Final Fantasy will be great is like hoping to find good television when you turn on MTV. There was once an era for Final Fantasy, that era is long dead. There are more sad spin-offs and miserable failures to its name than successes, most of them trying to ride the fumes of nostalgia. This new game ties in some ideas from Grand Theft Auto in an attempt to reinvigorate the series for a new generation. Unfortunately the devs clearly don't understand what makes FF or GTA great.

If they titled this game correctly "Final Fantasy: Cool Car Bro-down Extreme" then it would deserve a consolation 7/10 for a nice first attempt at a new genre despite a plethora of flaws. For the audacity of them making this a staple Final Fantasy game to stand with the likes of 7,8,10,&12 - it gets a 1/10.

This game is selling well so it may not be the "final" fantasy, but it sure is for me. RIP
  49. Dec 5, 2016
    Having played final fantasy games all my life I had high expectations for the game. Ten years in the making and what they put out seems uninspired and poorly executed. The game works and that might be the best thing I can say about it, but let me break down the game.

Let's start with the bad:

That's it for the bad or I will never get to the good.

First good thing is that combat is easy. Anyone can beat this game.

The auto pilot on the car is nice.

It runs relatively well, but I do seem the frame rate drop quite a bit.

that's all I have for good.

I recommend waiting for the game to drop in price. Its not as good as people are saying. There are far better games made in far less time. Please don't be fooled.
  50. Nov 29, 2016
    I'd like to start out by saying I am one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans of all time. I've played every single FF game since its conception (including the original 6 which was 3 at the time and the original 4 which was 2 at the time) multiple times each. I've cosplayed as FF characters including Cloud, Squall, Cid, Cain, and Vivi at Comic Cons across the US. I even started a league forI'd like to start out by saying I am one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans of all time. I've played every single FF game since its conception (including the original 6 which was 3 at the time and the original 4 which was 2 at the time) multiple times each. I've cosplayed as FF characters including Cloud, Squall, Cid, Cain, and Vivi at Comic Cons across the US. I even started a league for the Triple Triad card game from FF8. So it hurts my very soul to be putting a 4/10 for this game.

Unfortunately, this game is really not a Final Fantasy game. The story is lackluster and there is no real character development as of yet (and I'm 15 hours into the main story, the half-way point). I loved all of the FF games for their stories, so to have a not-so-compelling story with little character development is a major issue. But that's not the only issue.

You only control the main character in combat, which is, again, a HUGE deviation from previous installments. Controlling only the main character makes you feel far less invested in the side characters and it really takes out a level of strategy that I liked so much in previous installments. It feels like a button masher, beat-em-up game now. Don't get me wrong, the combat IS fun and good, but it's really not a FF combat system with a depth of strategy that I've become accustomed to.

Furthermore, the game seems to have been focused on giving us the current trending gimmick of an open world. They focused so much on it that the other elements of the game mentioned above suffered because of it. Basically this game feels more like Skyrim, focusing on the open world aspects over story-driven content and strategic combat.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim was an awesome game and one of my favorites, but if I wanted more Skyrim, I'd just play that, or the Witcher 3. When I pick up an FF game, I want exceptional story and strategic combat.

Now, the open world IS great and the combat IS fun, so that's why the game gets a 4/10 from me, but as an FF game it was greatly disappointing. Graphics are also decent, not the best they could be, but not bad at all either.

I hope this review helps some of the die hard fans of FF. If you aren't a die-hard fan, though, and you like open world and a fluid combat system then you'll most definitely like this game. In fact, if this game did not bare the FF name, and it was just some new game that Square Enix was trying out I would have given it an 8 or 9 out of10.
  51. Nov 29, 2016
    Was really hoping this would be the rejuvination of the series - it isn't. I'm sad to say I would classify this one right behind 13 (not as bad as that one but it's not that far behind either). Atrocious story and dialogue, side quests the quality of what we saw introduced in mmo's 15 years ago, ugh. The graphics are beautiful and the score is amazing, but overall it's average average average.
  52. Nov 29, 2016
    They cut out one of the main features of Final Fantasy which is the ability to play as multiple characters from a party. Instead, we are forced to play as a single character named Noctis who happens to be a cliche wrist cutting emo boy for the whole game. Furthermore, the supporting cast is abysmal to say the least. For example, I thought there would be more to Prompto than meets the eye,They cut out one of the main features of Final Fantasy which is the ability to play as multiple characters from a party. Instead, we are forced to play as a single character named Noctis who happens to be a cliche wrist cutting emo boy for the whole game. Furthermore, the supporting cast is abysmal to say the least. For example, I thought there would be more to Prompto than meets the eye, but no for the entirety of the experience this clown does not develop any further than being the comic relief he was intially. Cliche is the word I would use for the characters and the main story.

Now you would think that atleast they would add the option to customize Noctis' outfits into somewhat less emo boy. BUT NO, there are almost no other outfits you can have Noctis wear so you are basically stuck staring at cutter boy outfit for the whole game. I guess they're saving that for FUTURE DLC YAY!

And don't get me started on the sub-par gameplay. Sure, there are some genuinely innovative mechanics such as the ability to change weapons mid-combat. HOWEVER, you spend most of the time just holding square to attack and do combos. 10 years of development only to hold 1 button till you win? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Also certain mechanics have been made WORSE than before like the summons, for example. You spend an hour trying to get a new summon to use in a big battle but guess what? YOU CAN'T USE THEM IN THAT BATTLE. For some stupid reason summons are banned from certain battles. Like what were they thinking?? This genuinely frustrated me a number of times.

Moreover, the ability aquisition system is broken too there are too many abilities yet too little points to acquire them. It esentially forces you to grind for hours to get the abilities you want.

Also, what's up with the sexism in this game? Most of the women dress like complete trash and the rest act like helpless damsels in distress. Oh and did I mention you can't play as a single female character in this game? If you thought you would encounter a strong female character like in previous Final Fantasy games then don't expect that from this game.

Finally, the open world itself is good. There is a lot of side content to discover and the side quests have good variety. I was genuinely surprised when I beat a dungeon I thought was typical only to find it held more secrets inside than I expected. It kept me curious and motivated to explore more. This is the best aspect of the game and its better than other recent Final Fantasy games in that regard ONLY. Overall, I would say that I came for the story and gameplay that was hyped up to be different but that disappointed me and I ended up staying for its world instead.
  53. Dec 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hey,
    I just finished the game after 32 hours and I have to say that I'm totally disappointed! Most of the time you're just walking around for side quests (the Fallout experience ;). I guess you could finish the main story line in a mere 20 hours.
    So, why is this game actually bad? First of all, the story has some pretty strange plot devices. I won't spoil you but there is the sudden and unnecessary death of two characters in the game which has absolutely no impact on the gamer because the characters just don't have enough background for you to get sad. Secondly, something will happen to one of the main characters and it has no connection to the story whatsoever. They won't even show how it happened which is pretty bad for a supposed AAA game. Last, the whole second part of the story is just ridiculously boring. They are building up some bad and tough guys in the movie and the preview just for them not to be in the game. I really don't know what geniuses worked at Square Enix...
    I won't critize the action timed press one button bosses. I'm too disappointed in them.
    If you're looking for a solid game with a good story line and developing characters, don't play this game. It's pretty nice to look at but that's that.
  54. Nov 29, 2016
    FINAL FANTASY XV is a game that has everything to make you happy. It has a open world, but also, has many linear moments due to story, and the story is VERY good at all. Escaping the flames of war, Noctis epic journey with his best friends is very real and deep. The battle system is so good and the game has the best dungeons in all FF series. I loved Princess Luna, she is so cute and strong.
  55. Dec 3, 2016
    10 years for 2 cities, everything blurry, bad facial animation, story sucks big times, copy paste sidequests, hold square to win the game, 20 hours main campagne, empty world, dlc in a ff game

SE clearly dont know how to make games anymore so I lost all hope with ff7 remake but fanboys will defend those games with their lifes.
    The Industry is doomed
  56. Dec 1, 2016
    Disjointed and bland, with TERRIBLE dialogue and story, with.. elements of FF but this is not a FF. Feels like someones pet project.

if you wanted a FF experience, this is not it.
  57. Dec 2, 2016
    + Main characters relationship
    + Huge world
    + Monsters + Music + Aranea - Lack of background for some characters such as Luna, Ravus, Cor, Ardyn etc - World is huge but feels empty at times - Magic System is boring, you spend more time crafting it than using it - Story is quite a mess and is a bit too short (Tabata promised 40-50 hours without doing side quests and we get like
    + Main characters relationship
    + Huge world
    + Monsters
    + Music
    + Aranea

- Lack of background for some characters such as Luna, Ravus, Cor, Ardyn etc
    - World is huge but feels empty at times
    - Magic System is boring, you spend more time crafting it than using it
    - Story is quite a mess and is a bit too short (Tabata promised 40-50 hours without doing side quests and we get like half of that)
    - Cannot explore some areas that were worth it (train part killed it all)

FFXV is not a "bad" game, but it's definitely far from being a very good game. Nomura should have kept his original vision : 3 Versus games. Too bad this is never going to happen.
  58. Dec 13, 2016
    Played more hours on the game. It further confirms the story to be one of the worst of the FFseries.

For anyone that's just into pretty graphics and Korean boy-band (or perhaps japanese night clubs like Conan O'brien said), this can be attracting I guess. The combat system is not bad. But that're the only good things about the game. Graphics and a somewhat novel fighting system.

The combat system is not bad.

The story's rigid cast (only controlling Noctis?????) is just dull, like ff13-LR dull.

Magic needed to be gathered? Crappy summons? You bet.

I guess those the people give it 10 must be paid or just die-hard korean boy band fans. I first rated it as 4, but to balance the ocean of paid reviews, 2 this time. Plus the fact it gets more on my nerves the more I played it.
  59. Nov 29, 2016
    FFXV is impressive as it is extremely flawed. The game brings with it good l steps for the franchise, with exploration returning, and constant interactivity between characters and the world they inhabit. The soundtrack is beautiful, and combat is fun, with a wide variety of weapons giving many options. Unfortunately, the balance of open world and story is not well maintained, and it takesFFXV is impressive as it is extremely flawed. The game brings with it good l steps for the franchise, with exploration returning, and constant interactivity between characters and the world they inhabit. The soundtrack is beautiful, and combat is fun, with a wide variety of weapons giving many options. Unfortunately, the balance of open world and story is not well maintained, and it takes a heavy toll on the story and characters. The execution of the plot is extremely barebones, and relevance of any of the supporting cast outside of Noctis is surprisingly minimal. Multiple big story moments happen off screen, and supporting cast are barely utitized, have minimal impact, and disappear from the story. The supporting characters with the most screen time - Luna and Prompto/Ignis/Gladio - primarily exist for Noctis' development, with little story of their own. The shortness of the main story within the game is unfortunate too, with very little content even in comparison to the extremely flawed XIII. The open world takes the player to very few locations, before it turns (literally) hallway linear. There is a potential greatness in XV, but the execution of the story and ideas are some of the weakest in the franchise, and not a return to form. Expand
  60. Nov 30, 2016
    Much, much improved on the awful Final Fantasy 13, but it has many faults that stop it from becoming a classic.

First of all, the plot - a convoluted mess that somehow manages to get worse the longer you play it, which is a death knell for any sprawling RPG. Second, the characters - I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter how much you try and add layers to them, they are ultimately emo boyband members running around a field more often than not. Compare them to the classic Final Fantasy games and these cut and paste characters simply don't hold up.

Another issue is the illusion of an open world without actually being that open. It devolves into a combination of doing loads of stuff repeatedly that is essentially the same thing, or doing barely anything for a whole hour.

The good? I like the combat. Sort of. I like it more than I hate it anyway - it is fluid, often fun, but hectic and times borderline incomprehensible; simply too much stuff on the screen, taking away the tactical element and sometimes coming across as a poor version of Dynasty Warriors.

The soundtrack is also OK. Not the best in the series - probably not even top five - but competent.

But what rescues the title almost wholesale from being a disaster is the sense of an epic journey. It is a majestic example of world building around a central character, so much so that it often disguises the poor plot and lack of a 'traditional' open world, simply because you want to know what part of this world you will be led to next. It is graphically fantastic and that helps immerse you in to what is on offer.

And now we come to what actually saves the game from being around a 4 or a 5 - the boss battles. They are, in a word, awe-inspiring, and are the one section of the game where I'm glad it doesn't have turn based strategy as a combat system.

All that said, FF15 is OK. Not great, certainly not in the same league as the classics of the 90s, but solidly OK. It was sort of overhyped for what it eventually is, but you'll get fun out of it nevertheless - if you ignore the laughable plot and ridiculously bland characters.
  61. Nov 29, 2016
    + Great atmosphere
    + Awesome characters
    + I dig the combat when set to Wait mode
    + Fishing :D
    + Roadtrip feeling
    - Long travel / Loading
    - Sometimes bugs when accepting quests or characters being stuck
  62. Nov 30, 2016
    Coming from a huge FF fan, I found this game to be an interesting yet unoriginal take on FF gameplay.

Graphics, the game is attractive though the HDR hype is a bit overrated. On a PS PRO and full HDR 4k television the graphics are at times grainy around characters. I don't noticed the lag that earlier reviewers noted. If you own Kingsglaive the movie (which I recommend to complete the XV experience and to receive a pretty sweet uniform perk unexpectedly) then you'll recognize the graphics. The game as you play it looks identical to the movie.

Audio:
    Unlike similar open world games, the characters are practically not talking at all (mouths aren't even attempting to align with the words and for the most part the mouths don't move when you hear words spoken). This feels extremely lazy, even for FF which is notorious for this style. The music on the other hand is quite nice and for the FF fans out there, no matter your favorite game there is music from all games for sale to be played in your vehicle as you play from point A to B. I found this to be a long overdue perk for many games. Again, the game mimics Kingsglaive and the spoken audio style was one of the low points of the movie so it's no surprise.

Story:
    This game takes place before the movie and after the movie. So again it's nice to have a bit of background and some closure to the movie. I think the story stays close to the standard for FF games. Slack prince out to find his way, fall in love, and grow up to fulfill his destiny. Most FF games are actually valued based on the bosses actually and this game doesn't have great bosses to be honest so it might come across as easy mode for some long term fans. Still, the somewhat unique interactions you have with your party (somewhat in that other games have a 4 man party that you can talk to in an open environment so this isn't exactly ground breaking) adds quite nicely to the experience. You get connected (though a bit bored) with these characters.

Gameplay:
    To be honest, there are a few different FF fans. Those that like summons and magic and those that don't. I reside in the summon camp. I've found that any game that doesn't incorporate the summon/Aeon type of story fall short of what FF is. It's a telltale sign up front for any FF game on what kind of game it will be if you are introduced to a Summon early on and if magic is heavily introduced. This game doesn't introduce either (magic is an item/weapon slot) so it falls into the non-summon style camp though we see some short glimpses of a few of our summon friends in the story. This means that overall this game will fall pretty low on my all time favorite FF games in the long run. So if you were hoping for a 7, 8, 10 type of feel you aren't going to get it. Fighting is simplified so you aren't switching characters really. You are fighting as a group though and I felt that the gameplay itself is enjoyable. The warping is pretty intuitive and giving commands is pretty straight forward. I didn't find the game to be very challenging. It's pretty hard to die in casual fights you can always just run away and fight another day. So again its as if the developers planned for you to spend a month playing it and then restart, increase difficulty and do it again.

Other:
    I own the Collector edition guide. Probably the first time a guide was pretty much not needed. It's open world and there is always room for expansion per the guide and the developers (thus the season pass). There is plenty to keep you distracted from the full storyline but i've never found a guide to be more useless than in this game (beyond picking key sidequest drops to save time).

Overall:
    This is an interesting twist on the same old open world game environments. If you remember to get back on the story, you won't get bored with it I find. Graphically it's very pretty but still off without the intricate voice overs that other games offer. It's as if you took weapons, items, and monsters from FF games and dropped them into an DA:inquisition/ES style game. You know they are there but ultimately will it resonate with fans like 7 did, not very likely. It's somewhere closer to 9 which was probably my least favorite of the series.
  63. Dec 1, 2016
    FFXV in short words: GTA V + the WITCHER 3 + DRAGON AGE all together in a FF world...
    BUT where is the story when you start the most waited game of last years???
    what you expect froma FF is mainly an AWSOME story... Well "Bye dad me and my friends we go" is the beginning of the story and then you begin exploring(too big) zones and doing (boring) side quests... Sure cool hunts, awsome
    BUT where is the story when you start the most waited game of last years???
    what you expect froma FF is mainly an AWSOME story...
    Sure cool hunts, awsome graphic...but really I have to wait lot of chapters before I feel part of a story?
    Too much open world-oriented, and not the open world like witcher or GTA, epic and entertaining...
    Battling is fun and game has a lot of contents to leech your time, but I always preferd the STORY --> ENDGAME instead of ENDGAME ---> STORY, like FFXV looks....
  64. Dec 1, 2016
    A group of young men are on a cross-country journey with their Australian father to see One Direction live in concert. However the road is riddled with aggressive homeless people and aliens, so their journey is perilous.
  65. Nov 30, 2016
    I'm a fan of Final Fantasy (FF) series. I would be lying if I say I played all of it. I have completed 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12. I also played Tactics advance and Ogre. What drawn me towards the series are 3 different reasons. (from here on will be my personal opinion and I will compare it to FF15)

First is great story telling. To me story is an important aspect of Final Fantasy, story defines worlds, its characters, and conflicts within it. Without good writings and story telling, FF is just a bland JRPG. Personally FF15 doesn't have a compelling story, I find it difficult to relate with the characters(lack of female cast in the party also a probable reason). The conflict isn't well define, it's too linear. The world which apparently "fantasy based on reality" is not what I'm expecting from the series. I can see one town influenced by Venice and another area by US countryside/highway, I prefer more unified culture since it's one kingdom. The town lack of characters, and the people inside of it mostly doesn't care about what happen to the kingdom. For example, there's a war happening in the capital, king is killed and yet town is fine and everyone driving around like there's nothing happening, soldiers don't even march or invade the town, what I meant is there's no panic or chaos like in FF7 or 10. The conflict should echo through the entire world, effecting population in it. I can go on and on about why the story is lacking and comparing things to previous FF, but I'll stop here.

Second thing is the art style. Great art style has been defining Final Fantasy since the beginning. Colorful imaginary worlds, towering castles, unique characters, menacing monsters, cool items, and lots of amazing details. FF15 doesn't really nail that, the art style is not consistent. It has great monsters, cool weapon designs, and things like magic arts and summons. Yet it's feels like it's not design with one set of mind rather with confused, rushed, and mixed ideas. Lets focus on costumes, Noct and friends wears black leather and all. It's fine, but what's not fine is the inconsistency within the world. The town people wears t-shirt and modern clothing. This make no sense at all, especially within one kingdom. Culture what build a kingdom, if one wears a toga other wear it too. Buildings, cars, colors pattern all are inconsistent, it disconnect me from the world. In previous FF it never is the case, it was always consistent. FF10 has Okinawan style (Japanese style garment), beach, water, blue colors, very unique overly detailed pattern in weapons, summons, buildings. FF7 has dark industrial feel throughout, a touch of steam punk and it works. FF9 with medieval fantasy feels. FF12 has World of Ivalice which is great design. FF15 really doesn't have a pattern, I think "fantasy based on reality" design ideas doesn't really work.

Finally the final main reason I'm a fan of FF is the music. Music gives feelings to the series, it brings life and drawn you even more into its conflict. Music makes you sympathize towards its characters or detest them. FF always has great music composed specially for each important moment. It easily recognizable since mostly composed by a guy name Nobuo Uematsu and his team. Battle and victory music always a classic, and on many occasions they even create original song like Suteki da ne(along with the cinematic, made me tearing up) and piano piece To Zanarkand (this one always weaken my heart, made me felt the pain of the party). Now comes Yoko Shimomura, super amazing brilliant composer. She made Kingdom Hearts stands out in the music department apart from other great reason. In FF15 Shimomura did it again, she nailed it. This another thing that make me give lots more points to FF15. The only personal thing I don't like is how they use "stand by me" as their main opening and ending for the series. Why not let Yoko create her own for the series, is it because how Tabata wants it to appeal more to the US audience? I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong, Stand by me by Ben E King is in my favorite list.

Apart from all the things I mentioned, FF15 is a good game to play. It has great graphics, pretty fun combat, and an okay world to explore. It's not defining for the series but certainly is a step forward. I predict 5-6 millions will be sold. Am I disappointed? Yes in a way, because it is Final Fantasy main line series and I'm expecting more to it.
  66. Dec 1, 2016
    este juego tiene un arte y un sonido sobresaliente, el juego es un semi mundo abierto ya que tiene aspectos muy lineales, si bien venden el juego con compañerismo, solo noctis tiene historia el resto no, pierde mucho de la esencia de de entregas anteriores (tomando en cuenta los mejores ff del 10 hacia atás), es un juego demasiado japones y en sus estereotipos de bandas japonesas que seeste juego tiene un arte y un sonido sobresaliente, el juego es un semi mundo abierto ya que tiene aspectos muy lineales, si bien venden el juego con compañerismo, solo noctis tiene historia el resto no, pierde mucho de la esencia de de entregas anteriores (tomando en cuenta los mejores ff del 10 hacia atás), es un juego demasiado japones y en sus estereotipos de bandas japonesas que se disfrazan para no parecer nobita de el gato cósmico. no me parece mejor que cualquier otro final fantasy (excluyendo el 13 y los online) mucho que mejorar aún para tener 10 años de desarrollo y de perfeccionamiento. Expand
  67. Dec 21, 2016
    This was barely final fantasy for me, the cooking, driving, camping, selfies forced on you to earn AP was less final fantasy and more mainstream culture shoved down your throat. This game definitely has its merit but it is not final fantasy and shouldn't be advertised as such.
  68. Nov 29, 2016
    I got exactly what I expected so I'm not surprised at all. I still purchased the game because of nostalgia. If you have been a fan of the series in the past, you will be disappointed. If you were expecting Final Fantasy version of Witcher 3, it's not even up to that standard and both are uninteresting. Still, the game is playable. I recommend getting it few months later after the priceI got exactly what I expected so I'm not surprised at all. I still purchased the game because of nostalgia. If you have been a fan of the series in the past, you will be disappointed. If you were expecting Final Fantasy version of Witcher 3, it's not even up to that standard and both are uninteresting. Still, the game is playable. I recommend getting it few months later after the price drop.

Pros:

- Combat is more fun than I expected, though I would have preferred real time with pause style like they did with Mass Effect or Dragon Age Origins

- Visuals are very well done and open world is a plus

- Many surprises with side contents

- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Probably the worst cast of main characters in the entire series

- One of the worst, if not the worst, story in the entire series

- World feels empty

- Repetitive and uninspired side quests
  69. Nov 29, 2016
    This is the Final Fantasy game that was created to attract new fans to the series, not satisfied their old long-standing fans.

Frankly, if you're an old-school fan who is still trying to stay loyal to the title after the fiasco that was FFXIII, this your other chance to walk away. Square clearly gives no **** to the title anymore and it shows on how poorly designed this new game is. This is a Final Fantasy in name only and that was it. I predicted another FFXIII flop with this title, and as much as it pained to admit, it is another FFXIII flop. I guess that's what happened when you only care about money. Short campaign, bland characters and story, lack customization, you name it.

If you're a new fan who is easily amused by the shiny graphic, go for it. Otherwise, skip the title or wait for a sale. Better yet, get The Witcher 3 complete edition as it was on sale recently.

That would have been a better use of your cash.
  70. Dec 1, 2016
    The game is decent. It's not bad. You might think this would be a master piece at first glance. But as you play the game, its Cons stand out.

[Pros] + Brand new Final Fantasy game with open world. + Party banter is fun. + Combat is fresh and original. [Cons] - Main story is a mess, very confusing. - The open world is not so open and dry. e.g. non-climbable objects, invisible

[Pros]
    + Brand new Final Fantasy game with open world.
    + Party banter is fun.
    + Combat is fresh and original.

[Cons]
    - Main story is a mess, very confusing.
    - The open world is not so open and dry.
    e.g. non-climbable objects, invisible walls,
    lore-less story-less fetch quests
    - Loading time is long.

Enjoyable for first 10 hours, it will be painful to play through to the end unless you come to like the protagonist and his companions.
  71. Dec 2, 2016
    Its been years since i liked to play games like this. The start of the game had me shut of the PS4 within 20 minutes of play time. Get dropped location a / go to location b to kill 10 scorpions / come back to location a to get your reward. This reminds me of world of warcraft without the mmo aspect. Not my cop of tea.
  72. Nov 30, 2016
    Three hours into the game I'm still searching for the "Final Fantasy" bit. I think if this game was branded *any other name* (even something like Final Fantasy: Red Dead Redemption version) it would probably be pretty good, but as it stands, I had certain expectations that just aren't being met, at all.
    It's missing key elements that Final Fantasy core series (even 13!) incorporated.

The Combat doesn't feel very final fantasy, it feels like Shadows of Mordor. It's pretty good in its own right, just not Final Fantasy. (Final Fantasy Type-0 was a great example of a real-time combat system that still retained a strong final fantasy feel)

The party composition ... well, there isn't any. You're stuck with these 3 dudes all wearing black leather, like the protagonist (PS: You cannot change your active playable character)

Objectively it seems like a fun game, but I loaded it up to play a Final Fantasy game, and after hours of play I was still wanting to play a Final Fantasy game. (In fact, I bought and downloaded FF9 on Steam immediately after shutting down my PS4)
  73. Dec 28, 2016
    Totally uninspiring game. It utilizes graphics and obscene scenes to try and get you gripped. It only consists of mindless fetch quests as an attempt to make the game last longer. If that is what you want out of a final fantasy game then go ahead and buy it.
  74. Dec 4, 2016
    TLTR: This game is a biiiiiiiiiiiig empty but pretty cardboard box.

I will start by saying that I have played all Final Fantasy titles since the 4th, and this one is one of the biggest letdown of the century (placed right by Star Ocean : Integrity and Faithlessness). For sure the graphics are pretty good as well as the soundtrack, but to call this game a Final Fantasy, I am not so sure.
    TLTR: This game is a biiiiiiiiiiiig empty but pretty cardboard box.

-To begin, it has about 10h of main story, that is half-explained, the rest are all Fetch-And-Retrieve side quests, coupled with never-ending loading times. I mean, if I wanted to play Assassin's Creed/Infamous/Skyrim, that is what I would've played. I will repeat it again, the biggest disappointment is the main story, in his length, weird timeline and lack of depth.
    -Secondly, the hype building. I mean, you cannot hype a game for some years, cancel it, then bring it back as this half finished product. And can we say all those trailers we got over the last years aren't representing the product delivered ?
    -Finally, the interactions between characters. Yeah Gladio is rough but caring, Prompto is hyper and punny, Ignis is the smart-type, however that is the only depth they all have. No character evolution, no revelation, nothing.

In summary, if this game was from another serie, I wouldd maaaaybe give it like 7/10, but as a standalone Final Fantasy, it deserves a 4/10. I was expecting Squeenix to save themselves with this title, after the whole FFXIII-2-3 flop, but they only went deeper. Take this from a real FF fan, not a open-world-empty-game fan.
  75. Nov 29, 2016
    This has to be the most disappointing FF game to date. The combat is bland. Focusing almost entirely on swordplay is a bad move. The car is ridiculously annoying to deal with. Loading times when fast travelling are almost as bad as going there manually. Day/Night cycles is just an additional reason for you to literally wait and do nothing. The game has so much downtime where absolutelyThis has to be the most disappointing FF game to date. The combat is bland. Focusing almost entirely on swordplay is a bad move. The car is ridiculously annoying to deal with. Loading times when fast travelling are almost as bad as going there manually. Day/Night cycles is just an additional reason for you to literally wait and do nothing. The game has so much downtime where absolutely nothing happens, I could get a good rest before starting the interesting stuff again. The combat is either completely broken or the tutorials don't show anything of the important parts of dodging, as dodging seems to be just an elusive mechanic which happens once in a while. It's impossible for me to recommend this to anyone, and at a price of 70€, it's expensive as hell for the most overhyped game of the year. Expand
  76. Nov 29, 2016
    awesome game all round. very polished and the combat has a flow that i didnt think it had watching the streams of the judgement disc. very easy to get the grove of but hard to master. the game is also quite funny in the small talk and banter.

ignis is balthier 2.0 and i LOVE IT p.s. please note that there are a number of trolls coordinating on online message sites for a deliberate

ignis is balthier 2.0 and i LOVE IT

p.s. please note that there are a number of trolls coordinating on online message sites for a deliberate attack against this game by rating it poorly and down voting positive reviews. please take this idiocy into consideration when making your decisions about this game.
  77. Feb 22, 2017
    Not only its plot has left me unhappy, sad and devoid of any dreams about it, but this whole brutal advertising and news and trailers and... is making me disgusted even more. It has become no longer a chest with a an endless story but a mere exercise a consumption for a vast mass of Western idiot as well as the same majority that can increase sales and the same who loves swords, selfie andNot only its plot has left me unhappy, sad and devoid of any dreams about it, but this whole brutal advertising and news and trailers and... is making me disgusted even more. It has become no longer a chest with a an endless story but a mere exercise a consumption for a vast mass of Western idiot as well as the same majority that can increase sales and the same who loves swords, selfie and fast massacres more than poetry in a sincere novel. From Final Fantasy XV To Trivial Consumerism XV.

Ah... the sentence at the beginning of the game, from dear Tabata... it's an insult.

With sincere disgust and sadness I'll say, adieu
  78. Nov 29, 2016
    Final Fantasy XV ,10 years in the making? Well I highly doubt this is true as there are a lot of open world games out now that have A LARGER VARIETY OF THINGS TO DO & HAVE MORE DIVERSE PLACES TO EXPLORE. Outside of the FUN BOSS FIGHTS the game feels a LITTLE BLAND & LACKING though. That said the combat feels fluid & the story gets a pass & yes the game looks great with a LITTLE ALIASINGFinal Fantasy XV ,10 years in the making? Well I highly doubt this is true as there are a lot of open world games out now that have A LARGER VARIETY OF THINGS TO DO & HAVE MORE DIVERSE PLACES TO EXPLORE. Outside of the FUN BOSS FIGHTS the game feels a LITTLE BLAND & LACKING though. That said the combat feels fluid & the story gets a pass & yes the game looks great with a LITTLE ALIASING THOUGH & for a game that's supposedly 10 years in the making than if you ask me the VISUALS SHOULD BE OF UNCHARTERED 4 STANDARD & they fall a little short in this comparison. THE HIGHLIGHT HOWEVER ARE THE INCREDIBLE BOSS FIGHTS which are the FOCAL POINT OF THE GAME & the creatures look amazing ,authentic & play intelligently & the game gets a 10 in this department & it is highly advised to do the TUTORIAL before commencing upon your somewhat interesting yet challenging journey. Final Fantasy XV is a fun game which should provide many fun hours & longevity however CONSIDERING THE HYPE & LENGTH OF TIME IT HAS TAKEN TO MAKE, FALLS A LITTLE SHORT OF THE MARK FOR ME. Expand
  79. Nov 29, 2016
    Did you know that this game has a car with TWO driving modes?

One is automatic. You choose automatic, and your destination. The car drives itself there. You can't accelerate the car drive. You can't skip the drive. You can't bypass it in any way. All you can do is watch, and look at the pretty scenery. There is also manual drive. You choose manual, and your destination. You press and
    Did you know that this game has a car with TWO driving modes?

There is also manual drive. You choose manual, and your destination. You press and hold L2. The car drives itself there. You can't accelerate the car drive. You can't skip the drive. You can't bypass it in any way. BUT you can choose when to stop the car, by letting go of L2. And look at the pretty scenery.

On a less joke-y judgement(which is still true though, I did not lie to you), the game feels EXTREMELY poor. Probably the biggest mountain of money I've seen thrown at a **** designer (Tetsuya Nomura is easily one of the worst cancers in the entire videogame industry and I cannot believe the number of braindead fanboys he has) so he could stroke his ego hard enough for him.

A quick pros and cons:
    +it looks nice, alright, not a visual slap to the face like XIII in its time but it looks nice for sure
    +the combat is very limited and has a lot of problems but it is energetic and feels very good in aerial battles and against huge bosses
    +the map is large, I guess
    -characters
    -battle AIs
    -storytelling
    -the map is large, and it's a huge pain
    -driving
    -driving in automatic
    -driving in manual
    -from what I could see 6-7h into the game, apart from some spellcrafting which was a bit neat, there is ONE special attack(a very long distance lunge) in the entire game

characters: it's a boy band with the Big Guy, the Smart Guy(he has glasses so he's smart), the Annoying Guy, and the King Without A Throat, due to spending too much time whining with it. So Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo and no Leonardo.

They're bad? I mean, I think the setup speaks for itself: a prince gets his country robbed, his dad is dead, so he takes his boy band childhood friends on a road trip to kill bad guys and succeed at Trials. They're not so "bad" as they are so Nomura it hurts. This man is a living cancer due to always cramming whatever "looks cool" together in the most ridiculous of mishmashes, and I gotta say, the boy band childhood friends is quite beating everything he's done before, even Tidus or Snow.

Battle AIs:
    A lot of the combat is done against massive mobs. When you die, you don't "die" quite, you can get tapped on the shoulder by a friendly AI to get back with a portion of HP.
    They don't do the tap. They take an insanely long amount of time to do it and it can mean death a lot of times.

Driving:
    I think my intro was quite clear, but in case it wasn't abundant: this is an open world where you can't drive, only watch. If you drive, you'll quickly regret it as it's pointless and will cost money to repair the car. Also, driving warrants you no battles, so you'll literally waste untold hours just waiting for the damn car to reach its goal. When you get off and go on foot, it's also long and boring, but there's mobs and thus fights. The walking around in a Just Cause 2 size map is as atrocious as you can imagine, although at least you can farm EXP.

Battle Gameplay:
    As I said fights look really good and feel very dynamic, so that's great. But between the battle AIs that don't rush to save you and instead stumble around, the "protagonist is dead = game is over" crap that was into XIII, was hated, was fixed in XIII-2, and now is brought back by whatever inflated ego at Squeenix who thought it was a great idea like some Lucas forcing Jar Jar Binks into people again and again, the ONE special lunge attack and everything else is just spamming your weapons and crafting some AoE spells WHICH DAMAGE YOUR OWN PARTY by the way, and the general feeling that when you're against many foes you're often cornered into lunging in and out to not get mobbed, and having no reliable AoE attack, I'd say this feels good, but it is extremely underdevelopped.

-Storytelling
    I could make an entire thesis on why Nomura and his team of ***wits are absolutely cancerous to videogames, and especially to proper storytelling. As I said the Cancerman is unable to not cram something in as long as it looks cool. Even if it's utterly stupid, he'll cram it. The Boy Band Childhood Friends King Ninja Turtles Who Must Get The Holy Weapons To Save The World probably exemplifies it.
    But instead of a thesis, I'll say this: out of the 4-5 hours I've seen of this, there wasn't a single time, not once, where the story wasn't told through flashbacks. Not once. The only story part that wasn't a flashback was when Titan attacked the party. The rest is either dropped(IE doesn't become a story), ignored or is just quest-giving.

I have played every FF from IV to XII save for X-2 and XI. And XIII and XIII-2.

This is the laziest storytelling of them all.
  80. Dec 1, 2016
    Combat sucks, it lacks challenge and has no depth. World is almost empty, the side quests mostly bad or boring. Story is weak. I just... How can anyone praise an semi-open-world story driven arpg with such flaws?
  81. Dec 1, 2016
    This is easily the worst FF game in the series. The story is told entirely through flashbacks and there is no compelling intro, so you are thrown into the world with 4 random dudes and you have no idea why they are even friends. With all the hate FF13 got, this story makes FF13 look like a masterpiece.

That's only the beginning. There is nothing in this game to actually connect it to Final Fantasy other than the names of things and a few items thrown in. It's like they took a completely random game and slapped the FF name on it. They have totally abandoned the FF artistic style in favor of realism. The characters play on their cell phones when they are bored and there is even a quest that is an advertisement for real-life brand Cup Noodles. I'm not making this up.

Combat. I've played the game for almost 8 hours and I have won 95% of the fights by holding down the circle button. Magic is so cumbersome to use, it might as well not even be in the game. This is a kiddie-action sword fighting game. There is so much going on during battles that it's mostly a blur. You will kill 5 enemies by holding down circle, then realize there are two more enemies off camera only because automatic targeting moved to them. It's ok though, because all you need to do is press circle to win.

There is not enough space here to go over all of the flaws. This is not a Final Fantasy game. It's obvious why they called it final fantasy though, because the game could not stand on it's own.
  82. Dec 4, 2016
    this is not a rpg game anymore, a linear story with poor misions and poor mecanics of combat , this game can have other name beacause is not a FF, its called FF just to have sells
  83. Dec 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I made a review the day the game officially came out, since I got the game 4 days earlier. At the time I was maybe halfway through the game. I just beat the game earlier today, so I thought I'd update my review to give a clearer description. This will contain some spoilers too as I have some thoughts about the game as well.

The biggest thing is Luna's death. What was really a shame, is that we didn't really feel much attachment to her it seems, compared to Aerith from FF7, yet her death felt so similar to Aerith's death. Luna got stabbed by the main villain, and there was even something involving water when she summoned Leviathan, and even with her falling into the water inside Noctis' dream.

The ending was a little strange too, and a bit confusing at first. It was something like a good ending, bad ending, but it felt like something for each person to imagine themselves how the game should end.

Now the other thing is, I don't understand the hate for the game from some users. I think some people just want to see the world burn, or they can't get the nostalgia out from their butt to move forward and truly see how great FFXV is.

People can praise other open world RPGs as game of the year and really enjoy it, while those games don't play as great as FFXV does. I can understand FFXV having very high expectations because it's the 15th in the main series (100th+ FF in the series overall after all the spin-offs, remakes, etc.), and 10 years in the making also has a lot of expectations (but the game has been redone, so people are forgetting that it hasn't been a full 10 years just towards the game we have now.

If you stand back and look at the game for what it is, instead of a FF game with 10 years in development, then you'll see it has a fresh new take on the JRPG genre. You have a massive open world to explore, and much like a FF MMO or a MMO in general, you can travel and go anywhere and do any quests in the order you want.

The character's feel bland to you? Well, we have the tough guy who is very loyal to the Prince and his friends, Gladio. He's a fun guy to have around to often tease Prompto as well. We have Prompto, he's the Michaelangelo of the team (same voice actor that does that TMNT's character voice too), and he's the comic relief to add in one liners and to make the road trip and adventure fun. We have Ignis, the smart guy and the brains of the whole team, while he makes sure to take care of the crew and their essential needs during the trip. Then we have Noctis, at times he can get emo, but that was always how a main FF character was in most of the main series. Generally he's a positive guy that has a goal in mind, and he's learning about the world and bonding with his team mates. Maybe people are sore there are no girls in the mix or the cast isn't all female instead? Well, there are some females in the game, and even some join your team for a while.

There's also an array of other interesting characters throughout the game. Along with fast combat, and a series of side quests and mini games. I feel this game deserves to be game of the year. I was looking at the other top rated games of this year, and I don't feel those games have anything on this game. But of course, this game probably won't get goty due to so many expectations and some going in to try and nitpick everything they can about it because of all the hype.

Despite all that, it's a beautiful and fun game. The story could've been better for a FF game, but sometimes it's good for them to be a little different and not always make a story with complexity and twists, but a more simpler story, so they can focus on other things.

Play the game for yourself if you haven't, and definitely form your own opinion of the game. It's well worth the purchase.
  84. Jan 29, 2017
    I gave this game a 10 before to offset the horrible ratings I thought the game didn't deserve. But the more I played the game, the more disappointed I got. After a certain point, you can tell the development team either didn't care about the game/story - basically anything other than it looking cool. It was to be expected with the bumps and hurdles it had to go over during its decade longI gave this game a 10 before to offset the horrible ratings I thought the game didn't deserve. But the more I played the game, the more disappointed I got. After a certain point, you can tell the development team either didn't care about the game/story - basically anything other than it looking cool. It was to be expected with the bumps and hurdles it had to go over during its decade long development, but other than the pretty visuals and the sheer number of things available to do - things just aren't done very well. Some parts of the game just feel empty. Expand
  85. Nov 30, 2016
    After 10 long years, FFXV has finally released. Now the question is " Was it worth the wait?"

Yes, I believe it was. I am 20 hours into the game and I am enjoying the open world it gives me along with it's sidequests and I am still only beginning the story. The combat is nice and flows well most times. The ascension and elemancy are good at building up your characters and their spells.

The ascension and elemancy are good at building up your characters and their spells. The characters, while clever, do get annoying as they repeat their dialogue over and over.

But there are some bugs every now and again like pixels will get distorted when I do link attacks or imperial dropships will glitch and start moving like a student driver is at the wheel then it will go through the map I'm on.
  86. Nov 29, 2016
    Being the fifteenth main entry in a long running franchise is an impressive milestone however that does mean that it holds a lot of pressure. Does Final Fantasy XV
    live up to hype and do it's predecessors proud?
    Amazingly yes. I'm not saying that I had much doubt with all main entries hitting the mark with almost everyone that played them but with that being the new style of gameplay,
    live up to hype and do it's predecessors proud?
    gameplay, using Kingdom Hearts as an example, was a little worrying especially with some early demos making the game seem a little simplistic. I can now confirm that
    my worries have been vanquished as this game really did hit a cord with me. Taking the action approach was a brave choice as it might've not sat well with longtime
    Final Fantasy fans and with the usual linear open world being upgraded to a fully open world could have missed the mark as well but once again I was not disappointed.
    All changes to the usual formula were welcomed. The driving is a particular favorite new inclusion for me as I love snapshot moments and my god does this game have
    plenty of those.
    The graphics are stunning as no other game has made me feel the weight and size of the world since Shadow Of The Colossus.
    The linearity of the story was a little troublesome at times but it was a feat overcome due to the amazing battles across this epic world. Another issue was the
    story's length as with Final Fantasy games you're normally engaged for an average of 40 hours and with this game being half of the time I only wished it went on for
    a bit longer. With that being said the much more noticeable side quests were appreciated as they added an element of fun to each area of the game.
    The characters that inhabit this world are also some of the most interesting in the series yet with Noctus being a definite standout among the others (good job he's
    the protagonist then!).
    My final concern was with the Kingsglave film as a lot of lore and story elements were revealed through there and a few twists that were spoiled by the film. I feel
    as if they released the film after the game the response would've been better and the surprises the game had to offer weren't highlighted in the film.
    Wrapping this up I rate Final Fantasy XV an 8/10.
    The game is truly one of the best this year and a welcome return to the franchise!
  87. Nov 29, 2016
    XV is an absolute masterpiece . people will appreciate it a lot more in a couple of years, i can tell.
    the story it self is actually pretty good. but the storytelling wasn't good at all , it felt like it's missing a lot ... ( but the ending is my favorite in the franchise )
    the Journey feel was nailed perfectly . and the 4 crew members are really great together . the Battle system is
    the Battle system is honestly my favorite in any rpg game ever . Action based with some tactics. i love it!!
    the World design is mind blowing @@ you can't get enough of exploring all these areas with your chocobo ! and the cities are stunning .. especially Altissia
    oh and the Dungeons !! best dungeons design I've seen in a video game .
    and Music is a 10/10 of course .

+ Great Ending
    + Amazing Battle System
    + stunning World and Dungeons design
    + lot's of extra things to do post game
    + The journey feel was perfect
    + AMAZING Music
    + loved how the first part was open world and the second was a linear path

- Story was a bit of a mess

while there's some stuff that could've been better .. it still get a 10/10 from me =)
    my GOTY .. and GOTG so far .
  88. Nov 30, 2016
    It's a beautiful game, but the gameplay is very shallow and suffers from many of the problems that plague open-world games today, as well as technical issues.

I respect that newer entries in the series need to change to accommodate to a changing audience.Yet, in spite of programming marvels in this new era of technology, I feel the gameplay has been dumbed down too much. I'm not joking, you can hold down the circle button and just keep attacking until you win. It feels more like a spinoff game than a mainline Final Fantasy game. In the open-world, there are many collectables and such, but they too get boring quite quickly.

I really liked the risks that they took with this game, such as having a car to travel across the map. It's really unique and does make FFXV feel like one-of-a-kind. Yet, I feel like they took it too far. They turned the game into another typical open-world RPG. Although many sidequests are "fetch" quests, some sidequests actually have a great amount of detail, and most if not all of the lines are fully voiced.

But be wary, there are many recycled dungeons and areas for the sidequests. There is a lot of optional content in the open-world map, but not all of it is necessarily fun. The currency in the game, gil, is actually difficult to come by - you're actually forced to do repetitive hunts to get more gil.

I honestly liked the hunts in FFXII and FFXIII better - in this game you need to drive your car (or let a character drive it) and wait 5-10 minutes to get across the map, kill the bounty monster, then another 5-10 minutes to get the reward. It gets repetitive very quickly, and instantaneous travel is only allowed for certain missions and destinations - I couldn't find a way to get all destinations to be instantaneous.

You can get a supercharger for your vehicle for faster transportation across the map, but it that quest line takes 3-4 quests first and you need to be level 20-25 or so to defeat that enemy, as well as be past a certain part of the main quest.

The plot is atrocious and poorly executed. I will always suspend by disbelief when I play games and I love it when a title has good lore. I really do like the kingdoms and lore established in this game, and I have watched both the accompanying anime series and Kingsglaive movie. I don't particularly like the fact that this game puts scenes from Kingsglaive into some of the cutscenes and I don't like the fact that they're trying to make FFXV a series rather than a standalone title.

No spoilers, but the second-half of this game really takes a nosedive. I've watched Evangelion and I've played Xenogears, so I've seen some pretty unconventional second-halves. This game's second-half feels very rushed and disappointing to play. For example, many character deaths are off-screen.

Most of the big bosses in this game are quick-time events (QTE's). I understand that the developers wanted to show off the graphics and make the game feel cinematic, but the gameplay is just horrible and boring. In this game you'll be fighting some big summons just like in other Final Fantasy games, but the fights themselves feel so gimmicky and "press circle to win".

No, I don't want difficult battles, and I know that the majority of the players need to be able to beat the game - but I'd rather just have a regular fight, not some QTE mash-up nonsense. There's a really awful water battle that likes to throw all rules out of the window and has you hop-scotching across rocks while fighting.

I will also mention technical issues present in the game. I have an original PS4 and I notice that the game has many hang-ups and framerate issues. I just want it to be consistent and I noticed on many occasions during battle with multiple enemies that the framerate would fluctuate considerably. I also noticed a great amount of texture pop-in, in other words, travelling too fast will load lower-resolution textures into the game, which take two or three seconds to be turned into a regular-resolution texture. On several occasions of the last 50 or so hours I've played, the game will stop loading and have a black screen freeze.

I cannot afford to purchase a new version of a console every year for a single new game release - the game itself costs almost a half or third of a console itself nowadays. I'm extremely unhappy with how poorly-optimized the game is for a regular PS4. I'm not running it on any fancy settings, I'm just doing the standard 1080p resolution, yet I face so many glaring technical issues that should've been addressed. The developers should've made the graphics lower quality by default, then add a special graphics option for those who have the fancier new version of the console.

I'd say wait for the price to drop before purchasing. I cannot ignore the many flaws present in this title. The underwhelming sales will surely make the publisher of this game reluctant in investing money into another title of this kind.
  89. Dec 10, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a mess with its story half of its chapter's is open world kinda, and the last half is super linear more linear then FFXIII. Imo FFXIII story plot was much better then FFXV i Felt like they rushed this game and didn't give it the attension it needed. i play Final fantasy For the amazing graphics and character design's i Love Nomura's character designs , plus i play for the story and beautiful cutscenes and of course combat diffculty. sadly this game only had one . and that's the Graphics which only looks good on a 4k HDR TV. it even haves a setting for HDR in the option. so if u don't have a 4k hdr 65" tv u wont get the full experience which is sad. plus the game doesn't even have a Hard mode. highest mode is normal mode. which is super easy. i was able to level up to lvl 70 on chapter 3 in the story with ease. since they allow you to do almost every side quest that gives you a bunch of Experiance and whats makes it more easy level is they give tally experience point bonus like 2x lodge so i pretty much got 600k+ experience in 4 in game days . Making me go from level 53 to level 68. game haves no challage. one other thing that is annoying is prompto asking me what he should shoot with his camera. every in game day. i wish their was a option in game that i can tell him what to shoot instead of having the game slow down to wait for him to ask me the same question over and over again. ok thats just a few small things i didn't about the game mechanic's. now for the story and boss battle's. What the ****was Hajime Tabata smoking when he made that leviathan battle? the camera was all over the place u can barely control are see warp spots. and if u fall in the water the camera get stuck looking down at the water for 4 top 5 minutes(for me it did) plus the second half of the fight reminded me of sonic Adventure chaos boss battle when sonic goes super sonic. its litearlly the same concept a giant water monster in the middle and u flying around it hitting it. compared to the 2013 e3 game trailer for that fight. you could tell it was downgraded by alot and rushed. when i met downgraded i mean tetsuya nomura had to give it to someone that mostly makes handheld/mobile games. chapter's 11-14. enough said WTH? more linear then ff13 one chapter is you in a train. just riding a train to lunafreya's home to talk to a old lady and then go back to the train. plus they kill off the main villien in kingsglaive off scree. okay i am done the only good thing is graphics on 4k hdr tv and free roam. there's alot more cons for this cons but i don't wanna spoil this mess of a story mode Expand
  90. Dec 1, 2016
    Abysmal Story. dumy dumdum Annoying Characters. - Dumb Villain. weak strategy errible clipping with characters in environments combat is bland this not Final Fantasy
  91. Nov 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game 10 years in the making...where does one even start?

I followed this game for all of the 10 years, my excitement renewed with the bombastic, and triumphant re-announcement in 2013. And yet, as time went on it became clear, that this was becoming less, and less the game I had been waiting for.

Now that I have had a chance to complete it, I cannot help but feel lied to and betrayed, robbed of something I will never know.

The game fails at many things, one of the most important being the combat, the other being the story. To say that the story feels rushed, or hacked to pieces is an understatement. Many important characters have little to no screentime, no time to truly know or understand them, and many seemingly major events happen off-screen, presumably to be sold as DLC later.

The combat is flashy and pretty, but that is the extent of it on a visual level. It is truly a shame given how wonderfully designed many of the monsters and enemies are. This is no Devil may Cry, or even Kingdom Hearts. This game plays like an action rpg, designed by someone who doesn't actually know how to make such games, or even bother to play or test them.

There is very clearly, a supreme lack of meaningful boss encounters, and the huge setpiece battles like Titan and Leviathan are all nigh impossible to lose, and play like something right out of a western game, which are often maligned for being mechanically simplistic and overly cinematic to the detriment of fun, challenging, gameplay.

Many monsters and enemies, have extremely lacking or brief tells to their attacks, and at times it looks as though the monster merely brushes against you in order to damage your characters. This is bad gameplay design, and there is little to no force, or momentum to most attacks, which simply come out of nowhere.

Sidequests are strewn all over the place, but they are so bland and awful, that it is clear the developers took to a quantity over quality approach. The world map itself, is many, many times smaller tha one would have assumed, with an overall lack of variety.

The mass marketing blitz, and such as creation of a custom car, making an entire movie, and a multi-part anime series among other things, all sting and feel as though the money expended could have been better spent on the game itself.

The game's engine is yet another issue, as many areas the game can be beautiful, but at times there are horrible issues with low resolution textures, aliasing, framepacing, and overly exposed or otherwise deficient lighting that drowns out color and detail.

Another big disappointment is in the Astrals, the famed summons the series is practically known for. There are 7 in th game, yet only 4 of which are "usable". Now I have those in quotes, as the conditions to trigger them seem incredibly obtuse, to the point where you can go almost the entire game without summoning some of them.

In addition, one of the most iconic summons, the dragon king Bahamut, has one of the most poorly conceived designs in the entire series, appearing as a humanoid knight-like figure, that does not even use their trademark, megaflare attack. One would think that such an unfaithful depiction, would be outright named differently. This is not the legendary Bahamut of Final Fantasy VIII or IX, which perfected his design, and yet the series seems content to continually ignore and drift away from, always in favor of awful, overdesigned, overly busy and toyetic depictions.

All in all, this may be a harsh review, as there are some things that were good, however the sheer disappointment and dishonesty in just how much has been gutted from the original concept, leaves one bitter.
  92. Dec 2, 2016
    I rated this game earlier a 5/10 and I'm new to the franchise. But I just finished playing with 10 hours and I'm annoyed as hell with the bugs and stupid things that I have to rate it a 0.

If witcher 3 never came out this might be an great game however this game tries to take a couple things from the witcher 3 game but fails miserably. The travel system in this game is god awful,

The travel system in this game is god awful, worse than witcher. The car system is so retarded. You can kinda drive the car "manually it's called" which means steer left/right, brake and accelerate. If you dinge something with the car, it will suffer massive damage and cost you 500 credits to get it repaired. You can't go offroad or anywhere. Secondly if you set ignii to drive somewhere on auto and you haven't been there ever get ready to wait 10 minutes straight to get there.
    But WAIT!. If say he's driving there and suddenly it turns into night time, guess what. The idiot will stop the car and tell you it's better if you return back to camp/post to sleep the night because it's dangerous. So this means teleporting back to where you started from 8-10 minutes earlier.
    But wait, there's more, say you want to force through the night and try driving manually, if a monster shows up on the road the car will either A) automatically U turn or B) stop and kick everyone from the car forcing you to fight the insane damage daemon that will kill you.
    All in all you'll spend endless hours just driving to places.

Now in the game you have to collect these swords from dungeons for nocti, these dungeons are ridiculous, they are extremely confusing to get around inside. The minimap is no help and the big map is even more confusing. Get ready to waste 2 hours inside an ice cave back tracking 50 times to find the damn sword piece.

Another problem is the glitchy quests, there's this one quest I went to, to supposedly mine something. Guess what I get spammed with airships for 30 minutes straight. Sure I get a lot of xp but there is no item at the spot to mine, it just spawns 10 ai every couple seconds.

The camera is absurd, it's extremely delayed behind the combat and motion. You'll be facing the wrong way 90% of the time during combat.

I am new to final fantasy so I am rating this based on how happy this game made me. In the beginning I rated it a 5 because for a while I could overlook most of these game breaking designs and bugs but I've had enough of this crap. Wish they would fix all this as overall the story is great, characters are good and it could really be an amazing game.
  93. Dec 5, 2016
    At the start I was enjoying it but now i've played longer I can see how bad this game is...I cant believe I waited all these years to be disappointed by SE AGAIN!!! Please SE cancel FF7R I dont want you ruining that title aswell. And honestly chapter 13....wth were you guys thinking! FFS now port FF9 to the ps4 with trophies so at least I have something decent to play...
  94. Nov 29, 2016
    Here is an honest review of the game after popping in 40+ hours.
    I have also included some tips and suggestions to give you a little more understanding
    STORY: If you haven't watched kingsglave or brotherhood then the story might make little sense to you. A lot of the problem with the story is that its so heavily linked to other parts of the XV franchise. It is actually a good story
    Here is an honest review of the game after popping in 40+ hours.

STORY:

If you haven't watched kingsglave or brotherhood then the story might make little sense to you. A lot of the problem with the story is that its so heavily linked to other parts of the XV franchise. It is actually a good story not a great story but one that was most memorable and enjoyable. My suggestion to you before playing the game is to go watch Kingsglaive and brotherhood to give yourself a bit of backbone to piece things together in the game. Besides the ramble the characters at first glance may not seem to be what you would class as awesome characters just by looks but when you get into the game you feel like your one of the buddies and somethings can hit you right in the chest.

GAMEPLAY:

Gameplay, for the most part is extremely different from the traditional ATB or TBS style gameplay combat system reminds me a little of DMC with its own twist. be wary though as there are still bugs within the combat gameplay sometimes when you hold for parry it might not actually parry and just dodge you instead which can be annoying for later bosses that require you to parry to advance. Sometimes your warp strikes will also send you across the map but I guess the bugs give it a little character? There is also the issue of frame rate sometimes in battle it can drop down to about 10 frames if its chaotic.

EXPLORATION:

if you are a fan of open world this game maybe for you. Mind you I did find that some of the areas became bland and boring the more I moved around and had to go back to that same area for side quests. It feels like a general MMO with a vast world you can get into.

DESIGN/GRAPHICS:

Fantasy based on reality was the term used to market this game. Graphics can look a tad outdated, harsh edges and problems with physics trick the mind to going into uncanny valley. Hair in this game looks pretty low poly and sharp. It would have been nice to see some better texture on the environment as well. Overall design is okay but graphics could have been updated and optimised.

OVERALL:

Final Fantasy XV is a good game. It is hard to tell you whether or not you should pick up the game. Honestly its really your own choice. It plays pretty well to story and exploration for the most part. If you like fast paced action then you should enjoy this game.

PROS:
    - pretty good story
    - memorable characters
    - alright soundtrack
    - combat system is somewhat unique
    - The regalia is customisable
    CONS:
    - buggy framerate in battles
    - outdated textures
    - bug haven
    - story hard to follow if not done prerequisites

TIPS BEFORE YOU PLAY
    - Watch Final Fantasy XV 101 from the official youtube page
    - Watch Final Fantasy XV Kingsglave
    - Watch Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood
    - Play the tutorial before starting your new game

OVERALL SCORE: 8
  95. Nov 30, 2016
    This game is a boy band road trip. How the hell was this a good idea?

Do you like being able to win by holding one button? Then buy final fantasy xv. I played the first 4 hours of the game by only holding down the circle key. Never lost a battle. Never had to use a potion. Combat strategy is non-existent. Do you like using magic? Go play a different final fantasy game. Magic in this
    This game is a boy band road trip. How the hell was this a good idea?

Do you like using magic? Go play a different final fantasy game. Magic in this game is throwing bottles with magic properties in it. This is like alchemy bombs from Witcher 3.

Do you like boy bands? This game is for you. You can even play dress up. Because, you know. That's fun.

Do you like summons? Then go play a different FF game. Summons barely exist in this game, and you cannot "Summon" them.

The good? The graphics are good. The sound is great. There is an open world to explore(Even though it is small). The story is ok. The actual gameplay is just **** horrible.
  96. Nov 29, 2016
    Fun game with great atmosphere and characters. It's at the same time not your classic Final Fantasy game, but still keeps a true Final Fantasy feel to it. It also has a large open world areas which can sometimes work against it though since long travel times can sometimes be a little dull. Overall a great game though well worth playing.
  97. Nov 29, 2016
    After reading the red reviews, then opening up the box and playing the game for myself, 95% those idiots obvious never played it. Graphics are good, characters are fine. Some missions are boring but most of them are a lot of fun. Tons to explore and epic fights. So yeah, don't believe those "bad" reviews from people who are hating on it just because.
  98. Nov 29, 2016
    I made 12 hours in the game and it is for me 10/10. The story is good, the world is very open, I loved Cidney, and all Noctis friends. The car control is a little boring, but overwall the game has everything that we FF fans asked for. I liked FF13, but this game is MUCH BETTER than that. BUY IT NOW.
  99. Nov 29, 2016
    +good graphics
    +combat is fun
    -boring charactes
    **** story
    -Short
    -Overall really disappointing game after such a long wait
    -all the DLC
    -ending boss fight
    - lacks polishfeels unfinished
  100. Nov 30, 2016
    Hail to the King, Final Fantasy is back. The core systems are so solid, the combat explosive and cinematic, the characters so lifelike (Naughty Dog levels of animation in my Final Fantasy game? woah), the writing entertaining... I can't get enough. 6 hours in after one night of playing, I can safely say that even grinding, GRINDING, is fun now. Don't let the youtube personalities andHail to the King, Final Fantasy is back. The core systems are so solid, the combat explosive and cinematic, the characters so lifelike (Naughty Dog levels of animation in my Final Fantasy game? woah), the writing entertaining... I can't get enough. 6 hours in after one night of playing, I can safely say that even grinding, GRINDING, is fun now. Don't let the youtube personalities and "game's journalists" ruin this one for you (how many of them skipped the tutorial and don't even realize you can lock onto enemies with R3? Seriously...). Love this game, find myself smiling just listening to music on the car's stereo or looking over Prompto's photos at camp each night. Can't say enough about this game. Once I get home after school, I'll be sitting in front of the TV like it's 1997 all over again. Expand

1. Feb 14, 2017
    After so many years of development, Final Fantasy XV is not what I expected it to be. The universe is immense and beautiful and the characters are just fine. But the story is short and disappointing and the gameplay suffers from lack of depth. FFXV is a good game, but it can never bring the former glories back to the series.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Feb 14, 2017
    Even as you reflect on the rarity of a blockbuster that's willing to take real risks, you'll be left with the uncomfortable realisation that ten years wasn't quite long enough, after all. Those jagged edges are, in the end, just a little too sharp. [Feb 2017, p.110]
  3. Feb 7, 2017
    Despite a divided feel, torn between what it was and what it plans to be, Final Fantasy XV has a lot to offer. If you're a diehard JRPG fan, then it's a positive sign that the series can cross over to a new format. And if you're just looking for an open world adventure, Final Fantasy XV certainly has that in spades, while doing just enough things differently to separate it from the likes of Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls.