Final Fantasy XV PlayStation 4

7.6

1. Dec 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just don't get where everyones coming from. I've beat every numbered ff game sans 11, 12 and 14.
    FF15 isnt a bad game but man is it medicore. Its probably one of the most disopointing meh games in the series.

First lets address the ps4 version.

The ps4 version offers a crisper picture coming in at a locked 1080p. The game hits and stays at 30fps. There is sometimes a oddity in jerky animations but i'd say this is unnnoticable to most normal peoples eyes. The ps4 version has less issues with texture pop in than the xbox one version.

The xbox version runs a 720p to 900p. When the games running at 900p things look pretty much as solid as the ps4 version however, its running in 720p the vast majority of the time and honestly the picture looks soft and blurry as hell. The xbox version suffers from textures pop in and not loading fast enough a lot. This happens when theres not enough free space on the HDD. It has to load so much data that if the ff15 data isnt on the outer quicker part of the HDD then it cant load fast enough to keep up with the textures.

I've got 67 hours on the xbox one version and my friend has 200 hours on the ps4 version with everything complete. I myself on xbox only have 90% of the achivements and tons of pointless bland quest to do. He has literally every single quest, hunt, etc to include the bonus dugeons.

It shys away from the strong story telling of previous games to have a paper thin, poorly wrote, awfully explained and pretty much flaws flat on its face with its lack of depth. You build absolutely no emotion connection with luna.

Its a technical mess, glitches amass. Popin, textures loading awfully, the game having load times that make the neogeo cd look like lighting comparitly. Aimless pointless traveling thats early to mask loading issues. Games crashed on me 3 times my friends have all had it at least crash once. Im talking about just serious bugs everywhere. This isnt being repoarted from someone whos put 6 to 30 hours into the game.

The battle system lacks any depth. Its mostly just hold b. The magic system is junk feels like a after thought. The skill tree is **** Things costing 333 and above will simply almost never get bought. You'll be max level and no where near the ap you need for anything. Most of the skills you will soon realize are useless and not thought out. Especially all the ones to enhance the ammount of AP you get. They cost so much that they negate anything wasted into them.

The graphics are all over the place. Some times looking like a last gen game and not even a good one to the next minute blowing your mind.

Hallow gameplay. Most of the game is the same damn quest over and over an over. If I wanted that i'd play a western rpg. I want my quest to have real uniqueness with a story to drive them. I've literally fixed the same guys car like 3 times. The hunts have no meaning except exp. This game is literally Fetchquest Fantasy 15.

Dialog repeatition. They're trying to build up your emotional bond and people seem so captivated by this hallow experience. You're out of unique dialog or any building of bonds by around 7 hours into the game.

If you dont want a story and you want questing and you dont even want a final fantasy or anything that resembles a final fantasy maybe you'll enjoy this. This is clearly the mind of western rpg or mmo mentality spilling into a single player game.

To each his own but, the over whelming positivity and hype for this game is baffling. I've yet to meet a single person who likes the game in person and it seems to just be an online presence of this over hyping.
  2. Dec 13, 2016
    I'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying theI'm extremely disappointed with this game. My mayor gripe is with the story, you can clearly tell it's a mishmash of unfinished bits. Like they run out of time and cobbed together everything they had. Think something like the ending of SWTOR 2 but for more than half the game. I don't understand how something so glaring didn't get mentioned in the reviews. You may end up mildly enjoying the story but be warned: you'll feel like some major plot points have been left out.

My second gripe is with the combat system. But maybe it's just me because a lot of people seems to enjoy it. I find it somewhat "bare". Progressing into the skill tree doesn't open up interesting new mechanics. Plus the interface is cumbersone. You can map to quick buttons 3 of you party skills but if you want to use something different in fights you have to fiddle with menues breaking up the pace of the combat. I really don't like it but i guess that's personal

Last is the open world side of the game. It's really meh. Nothing special there to see or do. Plus moving around is a royal pain in the ass. You have fast travel but only by day. If you're stuck out there by night and you don't want to rest in a camp you have to "drive" the car manually which consists in keeping a trigger pushed and watching your veichle slowing trudging toward you destination for some minutes
  3. Dec 16, 2016
    The wait for this game is comparable to the Gun N' Roses Chinese Democracy album; just because it's been in development for 10 years does not mean it's a good thing. This is evident in the final product as you can see ideas sprinkled throughout that don't all add together well. After completing the story, I can safely say this was pretty disappointing overall
    The combat for example is
    The combat for example is not very satisfying. For the first part of the game, you can simply hold down the attack button with the occasional dodge/parry button prompt. Eventually you have more options such as magic, teammate techniques, etc but overall, there's a lot of holding down attack button. Warp striking feels like the only versatile option yet, not too satisfying. I rarely ever needed to use magic and using potions becomes a pain since there is no armor in the entire game. You can use accessories/boosts but plan on using hi-potions constantly. Why there is no armor beats me but being dressed in black leather the entire game looks retarded. Also, I have yet to have the option to use a "summon" as this is prompt sensitive at random times. So in conclusion, you can count on holding O button, reusing potions, and warp striking to get your way to the end.
    The story Is not interesting. You will most likely be pretty confused as to what is going on and rely on the internet to sum it all up. You start off reclaiming your throne and towards the end, just gets confusing. Most importantly, I didn't even care what was going on at that point. Just be aware it gets confusing with some plot twist that make it more confusing. The story also tries to make you care about the bond of you and your friends, yet the characters are so terrible you couldn't care if any of them died.
    The graphics/setting looks pretty neat, like a final fantasy game. Some of the textures are a little ugly but overall pretty good. I think the roads, humans, real life product placement, etc take away from the fantasy setting unfortunatley. A lot of the land is pretty empty too which leads to the next point: pacing
    Where this game fails the most is the pacing. Getting from point A to B gets pretty tedious. The driving in the game is terrible and unnecessary. A lot of times you will want to fast travel (if you can) which can take some long loading times. Or you will have to fast travel to your car, then fast travel again to wherever. The best way of getting around is probably by chocobo.
    In conclusion, not too good. There are good moments of battle, exploring, hunting but sadly gets overshadowed my the flaws. When those moments do shine though, they can make for what could have been a stellar game. The development time shows evidence of these sporadic good/bad ideas. I'm at the point of extras after completing the game and I will say the option dungeon was pretty cool, although not the best reward. I'm hoping some of the extra dungeons, bosses are interesting too but after the story, it almost seems too late to fully get emerged into the experience.
    P.S. the music was a total let down...even the one good song from the demo "Noctis dream" isn't even in the game!
  4. Dec 13, 2016
    About 30 hours played and I really want to enjoy the game more but I just can't. The first 10 hours or so were enjoyable: Learning the new world, learning the combat system, learning the skills and ascension system. But the more I play the more it started going off the rails.

Let's start with the biggest issue of all, story. I went into this game having watched both Kingsglaive (the movie) and Brotherhood (the anime), so I have never once felt lost or confused. However, if someone picks up the game without having touched the movie or anime, they'll be utterly lost about what they're really out there doing. The fundamental core of a role playing game is the story and being forced to go outside of the game to learn the backstory that rounds out the game is a HUGE no-no.

The real time combat system is decent but after around 10-15 hours you'll realize you're basically using the same 2-3 weapon types, doing the same combos, using the same 2-3 techniques from the rest of your party members, and just yawning your way through most encounters. The only time the encounters are troublesome is late, late at night when it sometimes feels like dropping high level daemons on you or when you get literal battalions of magitek solders dropped on your head.

Open world: This is where the game really falls apart. Most of the quests are just glorified, MMO-style, fetch and return quests but the worst problem is the insane amount of time it takes to get places. Only certain areas (cities, rest stops, some parking stops) get the benefit of fast travel, so when going from quest area to quest area you're forced to sit there and endure the wait of travel. This can take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes REAL TIME depending on distance. Even IF you can fast travel, the load times are so bad that often they're not much better than waiting for the driving. After about 10 hours I realized I was waiting far more often than I was playing so I started using Chocobos instead of driving - but that's about the same, as Chocobos have most of the same design limitations as the car except they can go offroad. When riding a Chocobo, you can basically move forward and sprint. So instead of waiting to drive, you're just holding R2 to make the Chocobo run. I would say that of my total 30 hours played thus far, a good third of that - maybe more - has been spent waiting either at load screens or in transit.

Sound: The soundtrack is so utterly forgettable that I find myself purposely listening to the overworld music from every other FF game via the car "radio".

It's playable, and enjoyable for a while at first, but then it devolves into a boring waiting simulator with rote combat and a convoluted story (unless you've watched the corresponding media outside of the game). Sq-Enix tried copying the western RPG style and it's clear this is just a pale imitation.

One final note: NO ONE has made fishing an enjoyable side game. Outside of the arcadey Sega Bass Fishing, every attempt has been boring and tiresome. There's a reason fishing been extremely maligned within the World of Warcraft community and it's no better here. Game devs, stop trying to make fishing a fun side game that always devolves into boring QTE crapfests.
  5. Dec 20, 2016
    To clarify, I made a Metacritic account solely to review this overwhelmingly disappointing experience. As someone who was still in middle school when "Versus XIII" was announced and became increasingly excited over it's premise; I feel as though I waited long enough to expect a full, complete experience. A decade passed: the title changed, the movie and anime were released, tidbits ofTo clarify, I made a Metacritic account solely to review this overwhelmingly disappointing experience. As someone who was still in middle school when "Versus XIII" was announced and became increasingly excited over it's premise; I feel as though I waited long enough to expect a full, complete experience. A decade passed: the title changed, the movie and anime were released, tidbits of combat and story footage were shown and needless to say everyone, including myself were beyond ready. I'm not even a huge Final Fantasy fan in general, never really appealed to me but this one was different. After starting the game, I was pretty engrossed for the first few hours. The world was expansive and intriguing, characters seemed likable and the combat was flashy. However, as the hours dragged on, so did my experience. Personally, I was always more excited about the combat and exploration than the story. But the latter proved to be nonsensical. Minimalism is fine, but when taken to the extreme that is FF 15's delivery, it becomes problematic. And the real shame is how much potential it had to be fleshed out. The story itself isn't terrible, but the presentation is. Even after watching the contextual media that proceeded it; there are countless gaps in logic, multiple times when vital characters leave the entire game for no apparent reason and it isn't explained, and main villains basically meet ill-fates without any exposition as to what happened or how they got to that point. I will say, without spoiling anything, Ardyn was such a fantastic antagonist. But he was the sole reprieve from an otherwise convoluted plot that wasn't given the time or energy it needed to really shine. And "DLC will fix it" is unacceptable; a main story should at least have a plausible beginning, middle and end, especially for a game that was in development for so long and even received extra backstory before it's release. The combat was also underwhelming. The choice to not make triangle a secondary attack button for varying combos, or to even simply give your party different commands for different scenarios; the list goes on and on. The latter really bothered me because that's where 99% of the game's challenge arose from, your invalid party members dying repeatedly in one or two blows later on in the game when you could've easily told them to "defend" when it seemed necessary. Or to focus attacks on your target, etc. Instead, they rush in constantly with no regard for any semblance of tactics and you have to keep reviving them over and over as a consequence. It's not all bad, it can be fun to watch but holding down two buttons for the majority of your experience doesn't really constitute a "deep" overall system. Directional attacks, summons and magic are all implemented pretty well and some of the boss fights are truly incredible. Graphics and sound design are masterful for the most part and the dialogue isn't nearly as bad as I was thinking it might be. The driving is also a mixed bag, while it gives you a chance to soak up the awesome scenery, it quickly becomes a lost novelty as you sit there for minutes on end with dead-silence. The phrase "it's just a shame" resonates so heavily with so many factors of this game and it really is unfortunate. Even comparing it to something such as Wild Hunt; it's night and day in terms of overall combat mechanics, story structure and character development. I wanted so badly to enjoy this game but I am simply not understanding the praise this game is getting. It may be a result of the hype, but when you really examine it, the overall experience is a shallow one. It also only took me maybe 23 hours to beat while doing a decent amount of the primarily mundane side-quests. Felt absolutely no inclination to go back to the game for any reason, traded it back the day I beat it. My apologies for the long-winded nature of this review but I hope it helps some people on the fence about purchasing. I'd recommend renting it first because I know my opinion is the minority and you may really enjoy what it has to offer and I hope you do. I certainly wanted to. Expand
  6. Dec 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really want to love this game. However, after 40 hours I can say I'm closer to hating this game, than I am liking it. Every time I think I found something I liked, it would soon follow with the flaw that takes the fun out of it.

Initially loved the open world aspect of the game. After an hour or two of doing the side quests, there is the realization that is is the basic form of go to X and do Y then return. There is little to no flavor for most of it, little to no world or character building, just the basic formula with nothing else. Then you get to the second half of the game, and it is as linear as Final Fantasy XIII, and then the atrocious Chapter 13 happens.

Combat is fun, not great by any means but fun. Then you run into issues with the camera, and issues with the lock on system. If you lock on, you can't control the camera, and the way the game controls it, you can't see anything. Even turning the camera setting to far doesn't help, especially in areas with lots of trees, or cramped spaces. When fighting one or two enemies it isn't an issue, once you get more than that, it is a pain. If the enemies are large, like Red Giants for example, it goes from being fun, to being a joke of an experience. Your party members are nearly useless in large scale fights because they're usually dead.

As for the story, it has its good points, and overall could have been a great story. However, it is hampered by poor pacing, and poor story telling. Moments that should have been big, such as what happens during the Leviathan fight, end up having little impact. The characters are interesting for the most part, but like the story they aren't developed in such a way to make you care. Yes it sucks that Ignis gets blinded, but it is glided over in such a minimal fashion. Promto is a essentially a Magitek Soldier, should have been a big deal, but they make a joke out of it for ten seconds and move on. Why does Gladio leave the part for a while? Lots of things are just left to speculation, or are barely explained.

On the technical side of things, the game is fine. On the Lite setting for PS4 Pro uses, the game runs smoothly with little issues in terms of performance. The music is good, and the world looks great.

As I stated I want to love this game. I love the Final Fantasy series, and I still do, but this entry in the series just isn't good in my opinion. Whatever it is that makes a good Final Fantasy game, this game is lacking it. If this game didn't have Final Fantasy in the title, it wouldn't be getting a positive reception. It is a deeply flawed game sadly. I started out wanting to give the game a solid 8/10, however; as time passed it steadily dropped. It is however at a low 6.0 range for me, I can't go any higher than that.
  7. Jan 7, 2017
    XV, XV, Final Fantasy XV. I don't know where to start with you. I think things went wrong back when you were first thought up in Tetsuya Nomura's head sometime around 2006. You should have never been born. Fabula Nova Crystallis should have never been born. I don't hate you, I don't. It's not your fault. I don't know what could've made you a better game, but we will never know that answer.XV, XV, Final Fantasy XV. I don't know where to start with you. I think things went wrong back when you were first thought up in Tetsuya Nomura's head sometime around 2006. You should have never been born. Fabula Nova Crystallis should have never been born. I don't hate you, I don't. It's not your fault. I don't know what could've made you a better game, but we will never know that answer. From the zillion fetchquests that make up the majority of your substance, the bugs that litter your world, preventing certain quests from being completed, or glitches that force people out of a 2+ hour long fight that they will have to start all over from the beginning. Characters revealed in trailers that showed so much promise then failed to deliver (looking at you Ravus and Aranea). To heroines promoted as "strong woman" whose screentime is probably 5 minutes total. Characters with no background, no personality. Who is Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis? Why are these people fighting with you? No info given unless you look outside the game, and if you have to look outside the game, then you know the writer for said game has failed at their job.

Boss battles with QTEs, that will have you fighting against both a giant monster, as well as the camera, making you want to pull your hair out. Camera and Party AI is the worst I have seen in any game. Makes Tales of Zestiria look like game of the year in comparison. Party members standing around, watching as you get mauled and pummeled by enemies. Some "comrades". Still, the battle system is the best part about the game, and to me, it's the only good part. Without the battle system, XV has nothing else going for it. Music is a disappointment, doesn't stand out at all. Hard to believe it's the same composer who worked on Kingdom Hearts. I knew she'd be no good on this game. So much melodrama, scenes I supposed were meant to get a tear out of me? But how can I cry when I don't care about these characters. They have no personality, no background, why should I care what happens to them.

Then part 2 arrives, and I'd heard things get bad around this part (Chapter 9), but I thought it was all exaggerations. "It can't be that bad". Ho, ho, boy, was I wrong. Chapter 13. I can understand why Square Enix is going to patch you. At this point, the game doesn't even know what it wants to be anymore. It loses itself. It turns into Metal Gear and Resident Evil with sneaking around, looking for passcodes to unlock doors, complete with jumpscares, so much bullcrap. How long was this chapter? 2 hours? It felt like an eternity. I don't like stealth, I don't like jumpscares. I DO NOT WANT METAL GEAR AND RESIDENT EVIL IN MY FINAL FANTASY. And oh, yeah, Chapters. They go by so quick. Like one cutscene and the chapter is over. Game is littered with flashbacks, yet I feel they were all pointless. They did not convey the information they should have. Why are Noctis and Luna getting married? They have not even seen each other in 10 years, for crying out loud. The flashbacks do not show much strong bond between Luna and Noctis at all. Why include them?

Story was super simple although there are many confusing parts, and things left vague. Very predictable, everything you expect to happen, does, especially if you've been keeping up with the trailers. Characters leave the party then return, all to make way for DLC episodes that have already been announced as part of the Season Pass. The story, simply put, is an absolute trainwreck. Let's skip ahead to the ending. Oh man. Dudes just enter Super Saiyan mode, flying through the air, teleporting, just straight up becomes Dragon Ball Z or the Matrix or something. Now, I don't actually hate this part, it was actually pretty cool, but man. I really feel this game does not deserve to be a mainline Final Fantasy. It feels the least like an FF imo. It tried too hard to be a WRPG with the huge world, and zillion sidequests, and in doing so, it lost sight of its true self, what it should have been. A Final Fantasy. The ending was also kinda predictable, at least if you know Hajime Tabata's history with video games... At least now the game is out, Square Enix can finally move on completely to FF7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, and, God willing, a FF16. So if you like beautiful, buggy games, lots of fetchquests to do, boring characters who you at least won't hate, a predictable plot, with a really good battle system, but poor camera and party AI, that can be beaten in under 30 hours, with an ending that will leave you scratching your head for days, then Final Fantasy XV is for you. Again, I don't hate this game... I give it a 5/10. Better luck next time, Square. coughgladIgotitusedcough.
  8. Dec 14, 2016
    This RPG is first of all, a crappy skyrim copy with final fantasy printed on it, and second of all, is literally annoying to play from start to finish, everything about it is tedious, too much travel, too much loading, the menus don't really function well, nothing feels convenient for the player, its as if they INTENDED for this game to be annoying to play.

The battle system leaves you

The battle system leaves you feeling like you have no control of the battle, nor awareness of it, i'm constantly baffled by my own party's terrible AI and surprised when all of the sudden everyone dies and i honestly have no idea why, or what to do about it, not to mention you cannot focus your attack on one enemy strategically. Battles are boring, you just hold 'O' till it's over and hope you don't have to use too many items to keep your guys alive. Enemies sometimes have brutal knockdown mechanics or simply ARE FLYING and you have no way to counter it, nor any way of disposing of large groups of enemies effectively. You have to create and equip magic spells individually (all of which have splash damage that hurts you), and make sure not to use up weapon slots because you need them for weapons YOU DON'T USE, THAT JUST BUFF YOUR CHARACTER, because there's no armor system.

The story?!?! Jesus Christ. You made a whole movie to set this story up, and halfway through the story, the entire storyline simply vanishes and gets replaced by a different villain, whose actions are barely explained, and none of the old characters get any exposition, nor is there any epilogue.

There is so much stuff in this game that is cosmetic and adds nothing to the game, and so many UI decisions that literally inconvenience the player and force you to wait and wait and wait. Wait for the upgrade, wait for the call, do quests and hunts, spend the night, warp to the car, warp to the rest spot, warp back to town, warp to the parking spot. It feels like a mess, it feels like its not cohesive, it feels like a frankenstein project they tried to smooth over, but could never get everyone on the same page.
  9. Dec 19, 2016
    - Terrible plot with many flaws and irrelevant characters.
    - Story had a great potential, mas Hajime Tabata's director ruined it.
    - The majority of scenes showed on trailers since 2013 doesn't appear in game.
  10. Jan 6, 2017
    Hello! I am 26 now, and started with Final Fantasy 8 as a kid, fell in love with it, got to the end of the third disk and could never find Rinoa. Lvled up 3 characters to 100.
    Next was beating Final Fantasy 9, pretty good, if unmemorable.
    Lastly was FF10, absolutely loved that game, bet it 3 times and consider it a masterpiece. I skipped past the next few (10-2 sucked btw) and got FF15
    Next was beating Final Fantasy 9, pretty good, if unmemorable.
    I skipped past the next few (10-2 sucked btw) and got FF15 a month ago.

After 20 hours gametime, I have gotten to the end of the main storyline in FF15. I have one bit to go but can't be bothered lvling up to beat it.

It's a real shame. I really wanted to like this game but it is a trainwreck. You start by getting thrown into the middle of a story where everyone knows each other. You're expected to jump into it, with the main character being engaged to some chick across the continent. You're a prince and your guardians are mates already, no idea why. Half an hour in, your father dies and it's meant to be sad, except I don't give a **** because I never got to see any decent character interaction. That sums up the story. It's all tragic but it's impossible to care because the storytelling is rushed and garbage. It's also super predictable and unimaginative.

The gameplay is also **** Much of the game revolves around walking, riding a chocobo or driving a car around a world that is way to freaking big. And the world is filled with nothing interesting to do. You can catch frogs or fish. You can take photos. The problem with this game is that it tries too hard to emulate real life. Real life is boring as hell and I don't play final FANTASY to relive that ****.

The open world does not suit this game. I wanted to do the main questline, even though the story sucks, just to be done with it. Sadly a bit of side questing is necessary and it's South American based, with full yee-haw accents. Good job Square-Enix, you have photorealistic outback environments with accurate voiceovers, too bad I don't care. The quests are all uninspired fetch quests.

Okay, onto the combat. Enemies are out in the field, and they have a circle of influence. If you enter the circle (some 50 yards usually) you are in combat, which is usually a **** The idea is okay, hit circle to attack, square to dodge and triangle to warp around. Now have 4 characters, 10+ enemies, rockets flying everywhere, snipers, poision spray and other **** Combine that with a spastic camera. Combat is usually a frantic pain in the ass.

Using items feels cheap, as unlike the old turn based FF's, it doesn't waste your time. So if I have 90 potions and 10 elixirs, good luck ever killing me. I can just use them whenever in the middle of battle and boom - instant hp. And it is necessary, as some fights are just **** with no control. At one point I encountered 3 separate monster packs together, and it was harder than any boss battle.

Another thing is the random level jumps in enemies. There will be a lvl 20 and a lvl 40 in the same area, and it makes you wonder what lvl the area is aimed at.

Overall, the only highlights of FF15 are the graphics. The music has its moments too. The overall experience sucks ass and reeks of a team that was too big, with no unified vision. I can tell the frustration in the team just through playing the game. It is a disjointed mess, and a sad waste of effort for whoever modelled and animated it, because they worked their ass off. I just can't bring myself to care about the game, it just feels like a chore to play.
  11. Dec 19, 2016
    Tabata is a failure as a director not in terms of financial success, but being a creative driving force while Nomura had the vision but was crappy at deadlines, if he stayed the director he would have had a finished product albeit longer time to get released. What Tabata did was basically destroy 80% of the game and did what he could with the remaining content which is bad. Bad repetitiveTabata is a failure as a director not in terms of financial success, but being a creative driving force while Nomura had the vision but was crappy at deadlines, if he stayed the director he would have had a finished product albeit longer time to get released. What Tabata did was basically destroy 80% of the game and did what he could with the remaining content which is bad. Bad repetitive combat (basically hold phase out to never get hurt lol), bad disconnected story with multiple plot holes (what happened to Ravus, where's cor? where did Gladio go oh wait paid dlc, who the hell is jared and talcott, no point of Umbra and Pryna, stella had more time in the trailer than luna who was a glorified plot device LOL), and weak characters with no character development unless they cut out huge portions which they did, boring driving and fetch quests which is the majority of the game, inaccessible lands like the continent for Nifleheim and Tenenbrae as well as Insomnia and Altissia and Chaos Realm, and a crappy cringey forced ending. Wasted millions of dollars on Kingsglaive (sucked), Audi, Brotherhood (boring), making food look good, entire UNCOVERED event and mass marketing when they could have focused all resources to COMPLETING a game. Because of this game, any Tabata game will diminish in preorders and release day sales due to bad User reviews. SE is on it's way to becoming a pachinko business. But I will anticipate and buy any Nomura products if they are ever released because although his games have flaws, they are complete and are always classics with a great creative mind. Thanks SE...not! Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2016
    Game needed another 10 years in development to come up with decent sidequests.

Combat is almost automatic with the hold square to avoid all damage and if you're using a shield it's even more overpowered. A move where you take no damage at all can get even stronger. The way the hunts can only be done one at a time, sidequests don't show up on the map and the fast travel mechanic is
    Game needed another 10 years in development to come up with decent sidequests.

The way the hunts can only be done one at a time, sidequests don't show up on the map and the fast travel mechanic is designed is completely and utterly retarded. Do yourself a favor and do only the red missions up to the end of chapter 3 and you'll live a happier life. The occasional hunt to afford potions and weapons and the chocobo sidequest ONLY.

The camera in combat is of course gonna be bad in a game where you warp around everywhere, but it's made even worse when trees and rocks block your view completely.

The movement in areas where you can't fast travel or use your chocobo you're forced to walk really slowly with animations that interrupt what you're doing. It also disables your warp ability to get around faster for some reason. The slow ass ladder climbing and rock climbing makes no sense when Noctis can just teleport where ever the **** he wants.

Those are all the issues I had whilst playing through this game if you can live with those then you'll enjoy it.
  13. Dec 11, 2016
    What is FF's company doing? Pls... -.-

Let's start with the bad: MMO style questing. I'm not sure why this is even in an Final Fantasy, but it has no place in a single player RPG. It stretches the game out artificially. Combat: The combat is easy, but lacks depth. Holding square for automatic dodging seems like a cop out in terms of making the combat fun. The enemies run around in
    What is FF's company doing? Pls... -.-

Let's start with the bad:

Combat: The combat is easy, but lacks depth. Holding square for automatic dodging seems like a cop out in terms of making the combat fun. The enemies run around in combat and sometimes you have to chase them trying to get the killing blow. Its not innovative or fun after awhile, it becomes more of a task.

The open world design: I understand open world designs are popular with certain games, but I do not think Final Fantasy benefited from it. There is so much open world that there seems to be no purpose other than to hide things or make travelling take time. If the world were condensed it could look better and combat would probably be better due to added time to improve it during development.. They likely spent so much time to make this world and then littered it with monsters to slay. Random encounters in the old games could become annoying, but running around forever in a lifeless open world is definitely worse.

Progression: The ascension chart doesn't give you the depth or flexibility other final fantasies like 10 did. In 10 you could really build a character up the way you want. Here in 15 its pretty limited.

Characters: The game opens with Noctis being a child as his father sends him away. Having seen Kings Glaive and what happens to his father and the capital it made it more bothersome that the main character would be such a child under such serious conditions of war and an arranged marriage to restore peace. Add on that he is travelling with his 3 best friends who all look like teenagers who exclusively buy their clothes at hot topic and I'm not going to care too much about them. Everyone wants to write about how the story is about these 4, but that's trying to pick one positive out of the game and the story and it really should be about the kingdom and over coming evil. When the story is so bad that we try to make the relationships between the characters the reason to call it good its an even bigger failure. Also you don't really see much character growth from them.

There are not great characters that I want to see more of or admire. Go and look at FF4 or FF6. For SNES sprites those characters had more depth than the ones in FF15. Even FF10 had much better characters.

Side Games: Ever since FF6 and FF7 side games/activities have played a big part in Final Fantasy games. Here they seem like an after thought. The arcade games are terrible, time consuming, and not rewarding enough. Chocobo racing is okay, but not great.

That's it for the bad or I will never get to the good.

First good thing is that combat is easy. Anyone can beat this game.

For those who feel RPGs are too confusing this game makes everything very easy. Magic is kind of pointless and Summons make it even easier. Plus you can hide mid combat by hanging at certain points to heal.

The food looks really good and the boosts are nice. Actually the boosts are almost too nice that in some cases it seems like they lowered the players stats to put more focus on the cooking. Seems like they are still coping MMOs a bit still.

The auto pilot on the car is nice.

It runs relatively well, but I do seem the frame rate drop quite a bit.

that's all I have for good.

Honestly this is not the game fans expected or deserved. I feel like true final fantasy fans will have to live in the past because square isn't capable of making good games anymore. When I was growing up they were the top in the industry. Their games were massive and played really well. Square used to be on the cutting edge of graphics and here in FF15 the hair on the characters looks chunky.

I know a lot of people wanted this game to be great, so did I. The fact is that it isn't a great game. I don't care what critics say or release day reviewers. The game is not a 10, 9, 8 or 7. I could accept someone giving it a 6, but anything above that is a lie.

Now I know I'm no authority on this, but check videos on youtube and really look at the game. Don't just listen to the media campaign. We know companies pay for reviews and part of me wonders how many of these user reviews are actually people square paid to give the game a ten. I know that sounds a lot like a conspiracy theory, but square spent too much on this game not to take steps to guarantee its success. We have all seen the power of marketing.

I recommend waiting for the game to drop in price. Its not as good as people are saying. There are far better games made in far less time. Please don't be fooled
  14. Jan 12, 2017
    The combat system is incomprehensible to me, everything happens too fast and feels overly chaotic. I don't feel like I am making choices or that i have any ability to control the combat. I don't see how the game has as good a score as it does. It irks me to no end that I have to manually control the camera.

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this

I loved the early final fantasy games. I hoped to get back into them with this title... that didn't happen.

P.S. I am amazed to see it included on many of the best games of 2016 lists and laugh to see No Man's Sky included on all the same lists.
  15. Dec 1, 2016
    Average at best, and i´m already forcing t and with a lil bit of nostalgia factor.
    The story is bland and one of the WORST FF plots ever made, if you think FF12 had a horrible story...Man you gonna gate this!
    The main cast are ok, nothing out of this world but with the restriction to as only one character much of the game is lost. The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that
    The action is ok...Divisive but it´s ok. It´s not that dumb how some people are saying but it´s not so bad like FF13. (i would like the old atb style but that´s me)
    the secondary cast are....are...nothing...already forgot them =/ (this compared to Final fantasy 6 or 7 are a joke, like the people who made this game never played a FF game before...just 13 =.="...Hell even 12 had more memorable side characters in the world that i can remember)
    If you like a western style rpg, with world adventure then maybe that´s the game made for you...If you like the old FF~Xenogears~Chrono style of story driven game....The stay away from this game like the plague! Or just buy later cheaper or even rent first and try yourself...
  16. Dec 1, 2016
    I'll list the pro and con of the game:

+ Very good graphics and textures, especially on some monsters/bosses. + Very pretty environments - The battle system is to simple and lacks depth (the magic system is terrible). - Far too many "filler" fetch quests (almost all secondary quests are filler quests) which pales in comparison to secondary quests of games such as Skyrim, fallout or
    I'll list the pro and con of the game:

+ Very good graphics and textures, especially on some monsters/bosses.
    + Very pretty environments

- Far too many "filler" fetch quests (almost all secondary quests are filler quests) which pales in comparison to secondary quests of games such as Skyrim, fallout or the witcher 3.
    - The storytelling relies far too much on the kingsglaive movie and exposition.
    - The open world part of the game isn't exploited to its full potential, as free exploration isn't very well rewarded by the game (secondary quest have to be fetch mostly in town hubs, you generally can't stumble upon secondary quests by simply exploring the world as in other open world game).
    - Far too many time is spent in the car going backk and forth between quest hubs, which make play cessions boring.

It's far from being the worst JRPG I played, but it is far from being the best either. The game is disapointing as a Final Fantasy and makes me regret the older iteration of the franchise.
  17. Dec 6, 2016
    Cliche'd story without anything happening and horrible pacing.
    No sense of progression. The first time something noteworthy happens is chapter 9/15.
    One chapter is literally: Use auto travel to get to another outpost. Thats 1/15th of the plot! In a story driven game!!! During one mission you are tasked to capture an imperial officer. After you capture him a party member sais that he is
    Cliche'd story without anything happening and horrible pacing.
    During one mission you are tasked to capture an imperial officer. After you capture him a party member sais that he is taking him back to base only to tell you seconds later that he escaped. Even better: there was no reason to be on that mission in the first place. You simply get told to capture that dude by your party members and after he escapes it is like this mission has never happened.
    Cheap attempts of tragedy. Killing characters you have no reason to care for does not make an emotional story.
    Why have different costumes if your start with 3 additional custumes for each character that have worse attributes than the standard one? Only one costumes is obtainable later. Did the 3D artists run out of time?

Walking cliches as characters. You play the moody teen boy traveling with the loud and friendly 'big guy', the 'mature' nerd who wears glasses (in case you don't notice he is the nerdy guy) and the annoying and kind of simple minded guy who wants to take selfies all the time.
    Weird out-of-character behavior during cut-scenes.
    There is no reason for having a party. Only one character can be controlled. The others don't have a role in the plot. There is no dialog except senseless banter.
    Your companions are incredible one dimensional and don't have anything interesting to say after the first one or two hours.
    It feels like the intra-party dialog was implemented before the story was written so the dialog doesn't have any connection to the plot.

At one point. Noctis gets told that he can freely choose which three of his party members he wants to put on 'evacuation duty'. He cannot pick himself because he must fight the monster. Which three of his three companions might he choose for this important task?
    It is obvious that a bigger party system was planned but scrapped and the remnants are still all over the place.
    Glitchy 'interact' button. Every time you want to interact with something you will jump first because there is a tiny amount of velocity left. There is more than one button on the gamepad. Use them, dammit!
    Side quests are a bad joke. You can only run errants for shop owners etc. There are no side stories whatsoever. Weirdly, you don't talk to the shop owner to start a quest. Instead you interact with some arbitrary item in his vicinity. I know its not a big deal but its so weird. Especially with the super glitchy interaction button.
    The world is empty. Almost all quests amount to a bad walking simulator. No monsters, no treasures, no nothing. One level is a literal walking simulator on a train. Just walk for 10 minutes. Nothing to do. No one to talk to.
    The world doesn't feel big. It feels like your running around the same diner for the whole game. Every place has the same side quests.
    It feels like a camping trip instead of a journey to save the world. Plus: invisible walls everywhere.
    Horrible 'level-design'. Some places look like a $10 asset flip on Steam.

A combat system that is basically one continuous QTE. There is no challenge. Press 'evade' until the parry event triggers. Then press Attack. Continue until everyone is dead. Works for hordes of weak enemies and huge bosses alike. Party members are simply a decoy.
    Your player level and equipment hardly even matters since you are practically invincible while pressing 'evade'. Fights will take a bit longer. That is all.
    Inconsistent cover mechanic. Why have a cover mechanic when nothing can be used as cover. A tiny piece of rock? Sure. A wall? Nope.
    Broken as hell 'Wait' mode. Boss fights wont work with Wait mode because occasionally you have to wait for the boss to do something. That doesn't work if time stops when you do nothing.
    Unresponsive controls.
    Glitchy lock-on mechanic and completely broken camera system.
    The game has a surprisingly elaborate cooking mechanic that does not work with the major part of the game.
    The main story missions rarely include opportunities to cook meals and even if you plan ahead and eat before starting the mission you can be sure that the first step of any mission is to stay somewhere over night thereby canceling to effect of meals.

The whole thing feels like a tech-demo with some half-assed gameplay put on top afterwards. I was promised a story full of intrigue, treachery and tragedy. I must have gotten a faulty disc because none of that happened during my play through.

One time, a boss was stuck at 1HP and wouldn't trigger the next QTE. I had to re-watch 20 minutes of unskippable cut scenes and repeat 20 minutes of glitchy, un-losable fight (It is literally 'hold one button until the monster is dead' )
  18. Dec 3, 2016
    As a game, I would probably give this a 6 or 7 out of 10. As a Final Fantasy game, its atrocious. Its very clear that SE is trying to appeal to the new generation of western gamers, there is absolutely nothing here for old time fans of the old Nintendo, PS1 and early PS2 games. Its not Final Fantasy, at least not as I know it to be.

Gameplay: While some aspects feel incredibly

Gameplay:

While some aspects feel incredibly polished, its clear that all their efforts were put into the wrong area. The way that Noctis moves and how he is animated is simply fantastic. If only I could say the same for the combat. To me it feels as if they couldn't decide what they wanted and started over far too many times. It feels directionless and hollow.

The combat is essentially kingdom hearts except less fluid and with nothing to test your skill at all. It is quite literally hold Square to win. Kingdom Hearts had interesting boss mechanics and ways that enabled you to strategize and try taking down bosses in different ways. Boss fights in FF15 boil down to a glitchy mess most of the time, and the rest of the time is you trying to use the camera properly.

One boss fight I remember very clearly toward the end of the game really exemplified one of the other major issues with the combat. This issue is the item system, it makes it near impossible to lose, in fact I didn't game over even once during combat in the entire game. This is because when you run out of HP the game gives you plenty of time to just use an item and restore ALL of your health, I really don't understand how they managed to make such an awful system with all the time they had. The item system feels almost shoehorned in, there are no meaningful decisions to be made, its just spamming high potions and elixirs every time one of your useless party members gets hit (which is rather often since they can't seem to do anything for themselves). This halts the combat and makes the experience feel extremely jarring.
    Back to the boss fight I mentioned earlier, I won't spoil who it was, but its just before a rather key moment with the crystal. I spent probably 80% of the time of that boss fight in the item menu using elixirs and high potions on my allies, there was litterally no way to apply any sort of strategy, it was just running around aimlessly as his HP decreased somehow. The most key boss fights of the game amounted to no more than awful looking quick time events. The biggest offender is the Titan boss fight which was absolutely atrocious. Another issue was against Leviathan and the Final boss. The Leviathan boss fight had Noctis flying around launching his weapons as if he was an attack helicopter. I literally held circle and moved around at random to win, it was pathetic, the final boss also had a section like this. They both should have just been a cutscene considering it was impossible to die.

Music and Atmosphere:

While the score composed by Yoko Shimomura is fantastic, it barely plays at all on the open world. I came out of the game having not remembered a single track other than the ones played in the trailers. In Final Fantasy games of old every area had its own memorable and interesting theme. Unfortunately I can't say the same for FF15, for me this was the most disappointing thing. I can't even remember the Final boss theme, if it even had one. Its very clear even the developers recognized this issue considering they gave us an MP3 player to play the music of the old games. While I wasn't personally a fan of the road trip aesthetic, It certainly had some moments with great atmosphere along with a sense of Comradery.

Story:

Oh dear, where should I begin? The first half felt void of any story at all, I was often doing things that seemed to have no importance on the overall narrative at all, then the second half shoves the shallow plot down your throat with next to no explanation of what is really going on. The only two characters than even developed at all were Gladiolus and Noctis, even then it wasn't by much. "Major" characters shown in trailers basically never appeared, I was incredibly disappointed with the way some of these characters ended up being portrayed. Its hard to talk about this without giving major spoilers but it was incredibly disappointing. One example is the dude that joins your party with the Buzz-cut and Katana (I cant even remember his name for crying out loud), he has no effect at all on the narrative, he has no backstory, I don't even see the point. Speaking of backstory, the game relies FAR too much on its anime for the development of the main cast. This stuff should have been in the game. While the story certainly had some impressive cutscenes, especially with some of the summons toward the end of the game, the overall story ended up being incredibly shallow, rushed, had a lack of character development and was incredibly vague.

Overall the game took me 22 hours to finish the main story, I would be willing to forgive its short length if the narrative was actually good
  19. Dec 3, 2016
    This game is a missed opportunity. It would have been a lot better if directed by Nomura which has more emphasis on interesting plot with characters building. Tabata on the other hand puts more emphasis on boring things like cooking/fishing. He completely turns the game around and stripped away nostagic FF elements, such as using magic and good plot. To me, Tabata is not known forThis game is a missed opportunity. It would have been a lot better if directed by Nomura which has more emphasis on interesting plot with characters building. Tabata on the other hand puts more emphasis on boring things like cooking/fishing. He completely turns the game around and stripped away nostagic FF elements, such as using magic and good plot. To me, Tabata is not known for storytelling and putting together cohesive story. Tabata is good at creating a powerful team, but he IS NOT a creative director. Let him be in charge of putting together a team and do marketing, but let Nomura direct the game pls!!!! Expand
  20. Dec 15, 2016
    INCOMPLETE, RUSHED GAME. More than half a game is cut off.

INCOMPLETE, RUSHED GAME. More than half a game is cut off.

Wow what an insult to fans of the series. Having played the entire series multiple times and play this premaejac game is so disrespectful to diehards. You can fool the casual fans but this was just a hot mess. No prologue, no story focus, rushed chain of events, no character development or substance, boring fetch quests, too much time driving, trying to hard to be emotional when the characters themseleves aren't fleshed out, multiple plot holes all over the place, lack of closure, and is probably the shortest FF in terms of story. This is such a try hard wannabe RPG. JUST STOP! Tabata has once again proven to be an incompetent director like the mess that is Type 0. I rather have waited 20 more years for Nomura to direct this than the quickie given by Tabata. The only good thing is the fishing, they might as well have done a mobile game out of that and it would be more enjoyable. What a sad excuse for people waiting for 10 years...
  21. Nov 30, 2016
    I've been a fan the the FF series for quite a while now, however many fans have found the last few entries to be disappointing. With this new game trying to restore the once good name of Final Fantasy, and overcome the troubled development, and also create an experience for old fans and newcomers, Final Fantasy XV has a titanic task ahead of it. Does it live up to the hype? Short answer,I've been a fan the the FF series for quite a while now, however many fans have found the last few entries to be disappointing. With this new game trying to restore the once good name of Final Fantasy, and overcome the troubled development, and also create an experience for old fans and newcomers, Final Fantasy XV has a titanic task ahead of it. Does it live up to the hype? Short answer, not really.

FF15 isn't a bad game (although I'm going to rail on it and you're going to get really mad at me, but hear me out). It's just such a mixed bag throughout. The characters aren't bad, but compared to previous FF games, they're pretty bland. They look like four near identical emo boys who just got gift cards to Hot Topic The only way to tell them apart is their hair. When I think back to the diverse casts that had men, women, white, black, old, young, human, non-human, I remember how much I loved those old characters. These four dudes are fairly dull by comparison. Throughout your game you don't recruit new party members or get to choose from a list. It's just the same four boys all day every day.

The story is nonsense. It starts off fairly simple and I understood what was happening, even if it was pretty bland. But as the story ramps up, it quickly becomes incoherent, mainly because the game doesn't give you the information to understand what's going on. There is a supplemental anime and movie, but I didn't watch them, and from what I've heard they're pretty confusing as well, so I don't know that they would help. All I can say is, if I buy a game, it should have a coherent story without requiring me to watching 5 hours of other junk.

The gameplay consists of traveling and fighting. The traveling is mainly on foot or by car. The car drives itself, leaving you to just stare at the scenery for long stretches. You can manually drive, but the car is on rails, so you don't even steer. And since the car is limited to about 40 MPH, don't expect to get anywhere fast. Once you reach your destination with your car, you're frequently asked to run around for long distances to reach your goal. This often means spending several minutes running through open, empty landscape after you just spent several minutes driving through open, empty road. You can go long stretches of time (10+ minutes) with literally nothing happening.

Battles aren't much better. On the positive side, the battles are action packed. However, you don't really control much going on. You mainly hold down the circle button the entire time, occasionally blocking or warping. You can switch between different weapons on the fly, but they don't make much of a difference, except for sometimes dealing bonus damage on certain enemies. I was able to use the same strategy on nearly every fight in the game, because the game doesn't really ask you to use any strategy. Also, the camera likes to freak out a lot, and can become especially cumbersome when fighting large groups of enemies in narrow corridors.

Between missions you can visit various towns and pit-stops, but most have only a half dozen people in them and only a couple can interact with you. Open world games only work if you fill them up with people to see and things to do. The world of FF15 feels sparse and lonely.

The graphics are really nice, something that FF games are known for. However, most modern AAA games look great, so having good graphics doesn't really make you stand out from the crowd. The animations and character models are a mixed bag. During main story cutscenes, the graphics and animations look great, but during the side quest stuff, it looks like something from last gen or even older. Sometimes animations can look downright stiff and archaic.

The sound design is also a mixed bag. Sometimes the voice acting is quite good, other times it's laughable bad. Sometimes the music is good, sometimes it sounds like a 90's golfing game. Sometimes the ambient noise is immersive, and other times it's flat or absent. There's a "home theater" option in the audio menu, but I couldn't tell the difference between that and the default setting. I have Sony 7.1 surround sound headphones, which make most modern games sound incredible, but I found the sound mix in FF15 to be rather flat overall.

Really, at the end of the day, there are better open world games and better RPGs. FF15 isn't a terrible game, and I did get some enjoyment out of it, but overall the package feels lackluster. This is about as mediocre a FF game you can get. Not terrible, but not great either.
  22. Dec 2, 2016
    As someone who has played Final Fantasy games since the 80s, I, like many others, have a soft spot in my heart for Square Enix games. Unfortunately, there are some serious issues within the company, as you can plainly tell after playing FFXV. They obviously didn't learn anything from the catastrophic failure of FFXIV before they "fixed it" (it's still not great, btw).

First off, let's

First off, let's talk about the absolutely dreadful characters. A bunch of emo-looking, leather clad JPOP models running through the desert wearing leather. Is this a joke? Oh, and one has a British accent?! Come on, Japan. Seriously.

Also, the combat system is f***ing terrible. And yes, I know a lot of people like it, but a lot of people like black coffee too. Are they wrong? Yes. Yes they are. You can't tell who/what you are targeting half the time. Your "buddies" are all over the place doing god knows what and it's a huge cluster f*** until everything is dead. Sure, you can "give orders" and all that, but it's still a failure of a combat system. Set it to "wait" mode and it gets slightly better, but not much.

The graphics are ok, but it reeks of an outdated game model that actually got the green light. Save your money until the price drops. I'm already over it and haven't even left the main area. BTW, my 15 year old daughter hates it too, so it's not just a generation gap thing.

Square Enix, it's time you fired whoever it is over there that makes these horrible decisions. Swallow your "Japanese pride" and start making games that don't suck. We're all about done with your antics.
  23. Dec 2, 2016
    Okay, so the game itself is not bad and I found many of the new systems a lot of fun. I am sure many will like it. I respect the Square for trying something new. Game design must always be looking to innovate and grow. However, this is a Final Fantasy title that was 10 years in the making and in the end, as much as I wanted to love this game, I got bored of it quickly and felt noOkay, so the game itself is not bad and I found many of the new systems a lot of fun. I am sure many will like it. I respect the Square for trying something new. Game design must always be looking to innovate and grow. However, this is a Final Fantasy title that was 10 years in the making and in the end, as much as I wanted to love this game, I got bored of it quickly and felt no nostalgia.

Previous Final Fantasy titles did many things right, however the series won my heart because it did two things better than most. 1. Had unique, quirky, emotional, tragic stories with unique and interesting characters that kept you playing. 2. Deep and strategic combat systems that gave you many options and strategies to choose from. Unfortunately this title misses the mark on both of these points. Thus it doesn't feel like a FF title for me. This is the ONLY main FF title I have felt this way about. Sure there were some better or worse than others, but this isn't a FF to me. That doesn't mean it isn't a good game, but it means that Square may not value what I do anymore.

Long time fans will likely be disappointed. The game tries too hard to appeal to everyone and in doing so loses its identity that made me fall in love with it. I am guessing most will beat it and then forget it as there are better arpgs out there.

Pros:
    - Music is amazing as always
    - Combat is passable. It gives me hope that Square can pull off transitioning from turned based/ATB combat to action combat in the future, but as I ilst in my cons it has many flaws.
    - Many fan favorite monsters are back bigger and cooler than ever
    - Summons felt epic, but you are unable to choose when you get to use them
    - Running around the world on a chocobo is awesome

Cons:
    - Combat is fairly mindless, the camera sucks, fighting in narrow corridors is frustrating, and team AI is bad. There is no deep strategy to combat compared to previous titles (excluding 13. that was mindless too). As a person who loves arpgs and turned bsed/ATB systems I am sad seeing turned based combat go, but okay with action replacing it as long as it is just as fun and engaging. Unfortunately it isn't right now. The real problem is that other arpg titles have much more interesting and fun systems. If I wanted to play a story rich arpg with great combat mechanics I would just play the Witcher (and i do). It is funny that FF10, which got a fairly mixed reception among fans, has a higher user metacritic ratings than 12, 13, and 15. All games that have tried to diverge from the turned based/ATB system. Is that an indication that their game quality has gone down?
    - Terrain and scenery is generic... One thing I loved about previous titles is that feeling of being in a world that you could tell was a fantasy world. It made me want to explore to find new and interesting things. Instead it felt like you were just exploring california. FF14 had more beautiful landscapes and scenery and it is a MMO.
    - MMO style fetch quests and go to the marker and kill this quests are everywhere. Why? Sure a few to break up the story is fine, but the problem is this is half the content. These activities do not advance a narrative or develop characters.
    - you only get a few spells to cast and your party AI casts them at the worst times or they run into the spell you just cast. Where are all the interesting spells that were in virtually every previous title?
    - Only having 4 party members that you begin the game with and only one of them playable. I can respect the ambition and trying something new that could have worked, but it is a huge con because....
    - Story is boring. I know this is subjective, but the game does a horrible job of explaining what is going on and there are little to no cut scenes (a staple of previous games). Without any spoilers, a horrible life changing event happens to the main character that you would expect him to have a difficult time with. However, he goes on running fetch quests and killing monsters for bounties like nothing happened. There is no urgency or life to the story. Something about magic crystals and warring nations. FF14 had neither of those things... wait..
    - The party members are boring stereotypes that hardly develop or make me care about them. The game is clearly a bro-trip with lots of bonding... The problem is all the characters were already best friends and seemed to be established before the game even starts. Thus leaving no room for growth. The creators said they did not add any female characters because the characters would act differently and they wanted the ability to write in bro bonding moments and guys being guys... However, the lack of diversity only detracted.

FF15 has currently an 84 metacritc rating and FF13 has an 83 score... that is essentially the same thing yet it has been panned by the community as being an awful game..Clearly they are either going in the wrong direction or not capable of creating anything better than their old systems.
  24. Nov 30, 2016
    Give it credit for its scope and visual and some entertaining battles and dungeons, but this is more of an action game with Final Fantasy items than it is a true Final Fantasy game. The biggest issue is the lack of a full team. Everyones past FF experiences differed as they tended to favour different character combinations. But the traditional teams have had women, men, robots, animalsGive it credit for its scope and visual and some entertaining battles and dungeons, but this is more of an action game with Final Fantasy items than it is a true Final Fantasy game. The biggest issue is the lack of a full team. Everyones past FF experiences differed as they tended to favour different character combinations. But the traditional teams have had women, men, robots, animals and others. 4 guys for which you primarily play one is a real slap in the face of the fans who have for years enjoyed working with a large team of heros. If I was a female fan of FF i would be pretty steamed at this decision. Summons have little impact and are infrequent - this was always the best part of FF games. Weapon customization, job customization - instead you are left with the same basic characters for the enitre time. Get tired of Ignis - too bad, hes with you no matter what. Instead of truly looking to improve the turn based FF model, they jettisoned most of it in favour of a new game which is much less than the sum of its parts. its not a terrible game, it has pretty moments, but ultimately as a "FF" game - its more of a disappointment than a success. Expand
  25. Dec 1, 2016
    Just mediocre in every way. A lot of the 10 score reviews specifically mention the blatantly mediocre game features which is extra bizarre (like driving, or the character depth/story, or the combat system which is literally just holding two buttons - you can play this game blindfolded and win). This is the last time I ever buy a final fantasy title, and realizing that is quite depressing.
  26. Dec 8, 2016
    Well just played into 67th hours in the game. Planning to change my score so far
    Well im a long term final fantasy fan, don't get me wrong that i'm bias or something.
    Initially i gave this series a 10/10 but after long hours of gaming, i decided to change my score Pros - beautifully drawn characters and nice animations - superb combat gameplay (something refreshing) - good music

Pros
    - beautifully drawn characters and nice animations
    - superb combat gameplay (something refreshing)
    - good music

cons
    - very poorly written story
    - no female permanent character
    - so many pointless side quest- fetch quest
    - so few summons and magics
    - no romance in the show
    - very long loading time

Well i think the precious final fantasy series such as X, VII, VIII, IX, XII are a lot better than this series. What made them better than final fantasy XV?

- As i said before, the story. The story had no depth at all. Developer had been so focused on combat and animation but forgets to write a good story. What is the point? I would rather had good story and average animation in final fantasy
    - There are very little to no love story in this game. Look at lunarfreya, im not even sad after she had died. Because she had such a low screen time. Im sadder if iris died.
    - Love story is very important in every final fantasy series. Those without it tends to have poorer performances
    - And the side quest are so annoying. I freaked out doing side quest. Its one of the worst i have ever seen
    - One more thing is that no female supporting characters to control. I wished they could let iris stay longer in the group. This is so frustrating. Come on, most of the gamers for final fantasy are guys. Why are you showing me a group of nice looking males. Are we gay or what? At least show us some likable female characters that we can control in our main game play.
    - and look at the summons, the animation is very good but i can't use it whenever i want. It just came out randomly. And there are so few summons. And i hate the design of ifrit and bahamut. They are drawn so ugly
    - One more is the loading time. There are at one point where i would just want to throw the controller on the floor because of the freaking long loading time

Ok enough of my ranting, personally final fantasy is such a wasted potential. It had very good animation but very bad story. For square enix to take so long just to make such games, i can say that they are very unprofessional. Please square enix, make a better final fantasy game next time. Don't dissapoint us again with this bad storytelling.
  27. Dec 14, 2016
    I was looking forward to this game and got it on the day of release, but never have I ever gotten rid of a game in less than a week of playing because it's just that bad. I completed the story in 20 hours, and the story fails to engage you in any real way, or to shine a light on any characters to make you care about them. It's the least enjoyable, and least memorable story I've everI was looking forward to this game and got it on the day of release, but never have I ever gotten rid of a game in less than a week of playing because it's just that bad. I completed the story in 20 hours, and the story fails to engage you in any real way, or to shine a light on any characters to make you care about them. It's the least enjoyable, and least memorable story I've ever experienced in any RPG, let alone how short it is. Even if you were underwhelmed by the story like me, you'd hope that at least the endgame content would be extremely epic. Sadly no..... actually this part of the game is even worse than the first 20 hours. You'll spend your time watching your car auto drive around a Texas style setting, you might hop out and run around some wetlands and when enemies appear you just hold the attack button and auto kill anything. If your health runs low you just pop potions and rinse repeat, this gets tedious real quick. I failed to enjoy any music score throughout the game because you spend most of your time listening to music from previous final fantasies, I didn't find any of the other music memorable like it usually is. Side quests are a complete joke, and there's far too many of them. I almost feel like I should rate this game a little higher, maybe because the graphics are nice or something.... But no, for a game that couldn't entertain me for even 1 week, it's just not a game worth playing or spending any money on, I'd sooner give FFXIII another playthrough than play this. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2016
    I am going to take an approach on this game that I don't think many will do. I am not going to review this game based upon what I expected of it, but instead how it compares to the video games as a whole. I will then compare it to past final fantasies as a fan.

Overall, this is game comes across as a fancy, convoluted version of a beat-em-up like Devil May Cry. The story is less cheesy, and the characters are less annoying, but actually somehow have less personality than characters in those games. The combat is absolutely ridiculous like most average games now, it plays most efficiently (like you can do other things, but why exactly?) when played as a total button masher. There is even a combo meter to your left, and slow motion so you can look as Keanu Reeves as possible.

It really plays like your average action or action RPG game. Sort of like Fable or something. That's, uh, fine I guess. The monsters are cool and creative looking, it sort of captures the final fantasy look.

One thing I will give this game is that it looks great compared to most other games, despite the fact that it looks less stunning as advertised.

It's not really this true open world that it was claimed to be. At least not like Skyrim It's about as open world as having a loading screen that is a car that goes from point A to point B simply for the sake of visuals. It's rather empty and definitely lacks things to do that aren't literally the same exact sort of task with a different skin.

The story is dumb and nearly non-sensicle, but so are most video game stories that attempt to go beyond the realm of simplicity of a game like Zelda or Mario, so this is fine.

The music is very average. Pretty-much could be stock music from another video game and I wouldn't really know the difference. And I know a lot about music, composition, etc. Most of it is extremely simplistic harmonically and melodically, basically a skeleton chord progression with an oft-used melody the majority of the time. Completely different animal than the extremely creative tunes of which the industry has been bare for some time now. More along the lines of the safe stuff you're taught when you begin college for music and are taught "everyone likes." Doesn't really reek of expertise and weathered artisanship like a lot of older games did. There is too much downtime in a genre like RPGs to not have good music. It is extremely important for that reason, and probably a big reason why the old final fantasies had a step up over other RPGs (and I'm exploring why music is important to RPGs right now, not comparing the music of this game to other FFs).

So in terms of comparing this to other video games, I give it a 6, because of the more creative enemies than your average game now (average is a 5 by definition), and great graphics, downsided by the musical score which is necessary for a game with so much downtime to work.

Compared to other Final Fantasies:

This game is total trash. It is like buying Blue Label only to take a sip and discover it is Piper's Clan. Of course, this is after this has already happened once (FFXIII I'm looking at you), so we all must be pretty god damn dumb.

Where do I start? Combat has never been FF's strong point, but it has at least always remained interesting through 3/4s of the game only for your character to become too strong if you had any sense of work ethic and din't always run (and then heavy reliance upon status resistance on the games part for harder enemies). There used to be strategy, careful equipment selection, wide variety of character types. You now control one enemy and press one button. Garbage. Moving on.

Graphics: I mean, yea they're good so points here.

Music: Like **** you guys. Seriously, **** you. You give us 10 games of Nobuo and then this **** for the past 3 titles? Like I said it is incredibly important that this music is good because most of our time will be spent running around and talking. Get the **** out of here with this beat box electronica **** and symphonic orchestra playing I-V-I stuff. Bring back the risky, modal, impressionist, colored type tunes that really have a soul to them.

Story: Holy **** I don't have enough characters but all you have to know is that it's garbage, and makes no sense even when compared to the worst of pre-enix final fantasies.

Characters: **** All overly stoic or autistic. Prompto is more autistic than Titus, which was made better by the fact that the game was totally self aware of it.

Immersion: There is no immersion in this world. The environments are all similar enough that it's just hard to imagine there existing such a place where is no contrast with itself. The world is totally empty compared to past final fantasies that are totally ridden with things to discover on every screen and every corner.

Overall I give it a 1/10 on the final fantasy scale. This is like buying a corvette and receiving a SmartCar.

Do not buy unless you are expecting a Fable type game.
  29. Dec 2, 2016
    So, this is an okay game. It's not a good Final Fantasy game and it's far from a Game of the Year. The only Final Fantasy thing about this game is its logo... that's it.

I could foresee there were going to be lots of bad things in this game. And most of it came true. The world is super big yes, but it clearly wasn't made for walking. And the fact that the car is locked to the road. Well. Yeah... Sure, you get chocobos later, but in the early stages of the game you're stuck to tedious walking. Why tedious? Because the world is super empty except for the occasional pack of enemies. Most "side-stuff" like quests and the like are completely pointless stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game except for being fillers to extend the play-time. They should learn from masters like CD Projekt Red who know who two make side-quests that has the same quality as the main story.

So that brings us to the main story. Currently finished chapter 1 and I seriously hopes it gets better because calling it a story is a disgrace. The so called main story is worse than most side quests in The Witcher 3. Starting the game by pushing a car, killing a few monsters to get money to repair the car. Deliver a package. Seriously? This must be the worst Final Fantasy intro in history...

The combat system? Sure, it was more complex than I anticipated but when you get the hang of if, killing a normal "trash" mob or a tougher boss comes down to pretty much the same "strategy" of auto attacking, auto dodging and teleporting. Sure you can use team tactics and cast the occasional spell. The spell casting system is garbage. Having to craft spells from resources and equip them as weapons? Really? How could that ever be a good idea? But back to the strategy. Strategy? There is nothing called strategy in this game. They could as well have added an auto combat feature that lets the AI handle all the combat while you take a nap.

The graphics range from awesome to down right bad. Seriously, if I made this game in 10 years time, I would feel ashamed. I say that as a programmer working on an AAA studio myself.

Verdict? If you wan't an okay RPG, get this game. Do you want a new Final Fantasy game, stay away from this.
  30. Dec 10, 2016
    I am complete dumbfounded as to how this game currently has a user score of 7.9. Does SE have some kind of paid reviewer campaign to bump up the score?

Don't be fooled. This game a complete sack of dog **** Do not buy this game if you're a final fantasy fan. Do not buy this game if you're a fan of ARPGs or WRPGS. Do not buy this game if you're a fan of games in general. It straight up sucks no matter what type of game you are looking for.

I'm keeping my review spoiler free but I'll just say this - The story sucks and it's short. You start off with your entire crew, NO BACKGROUND as to why they are even friends or together in the first place. You meet a bunch of people once or twice but apparently very familiar with them but the story explains none of it. Everybody you meet you leave the interaction asking "why does my character know this person and why do I care about what they have to say?" In summary, you will get nothing satisfying from the story.

With that out the way, let me go into the pros and cons of the rest of the game:

Pros:

+ Graphics are decent. However it is apparent that there is quite a bit of reuse from when this game was intended to be put on the PS3.
    + Townz and a World Map (barely, more on this)

Cons:

- The combat is complete ass. It's two button combat, there is no depth or strategy. Just attack an dodge by holding down the button (you dont even have to time it properly). They made the game so easy it's impossible to die. There is nothing tech or complicated about the system.

- The magic system is complete ass. Instead of casting magic, you craft it using mats you find into a sort of alchemy bomb. Once you do this, you have to use your weapon slots for magic, there is a cooldown once you pop it, and you only get a maximum of 3 charges. One it runs out you have to go back into the menu, craft more, or equip something else or just run around like a dumb ass with one of your 4 weapon slots empty. Why would you ever create a system where you have to constant go back into the menu during battle over and over to use magic? Seriously what the ****

- Townz and a world map are great, but they also decided to add roads to and from every town along with a car......yes a car. This is final fantasy right? Not only that, much of the game involves driving from town to town doing bull**** quests so most of the game you are just sitting there staring at the ass of your car. Boring. There is a fast travel option, but that pops a loading screen that takes as much time or even longer than traveling there manually. Oh by the way, even though you have "manual" control of the car you can't go off the road. Dumb. Next time, make the townz closer together and stick with Chocobos for ground travel.

- Crappy characters. Why am I going on a adventure with 4 jpop stars that all look and dress the same? I couldn't care less about this sausage fest. No playable female characters seriously? Just the same emo dudes going on a bro trip all game. I couldn't even think of a worse idea than this.

- The leveling system is ****ty. You get EXP for just talking to people or driving around instead of only from killing mobs or completing quest. You can talk around town talking to a few different people, sleep in the inn and pop a few levels. Oh yeah lets talk about that. In this game, instead of poping levels as soon as you get enough EXP, you have to sleep at a inn or camp to have that exp actually tallied. Why? What is the purpose of this system other than just to add extra annoyance for the player? These is nothing strategic about requiring sleeping at a inn for your EXP to really count. Also, levels dont add much to your stats anyway and there not even much stats in the game anyway. FF has been on a long trend of dumbing down the amount of stats characters have, well this game just took it to the logical conclusion of only having HP and MP (and not MP for magic.....) pretty much.

- Another sphere grid, one I couldn't care less about. You get very very few new abilities from this sphere grid, nothing really all that exciting. Leveling up used to be a fun process to unlock tons of new abilities for your character, not so much here. From level 1 to level 99 you will pretty much be using your character the same way.

- Although this game is open world, which I consider a plus, there is actually only one continent you can freely explore. There is not really a entire world map with different kingdoms and different continents you can visit. Also, in the open world you can explore, it's largely empty and uninteresting.

In summary, on it's own, this is just a bad game. Do not buy it.

1. Feb 14, 2017
    After so many years of development, Final Fantasy XV is not what I expected it to be. The universe is immense and beautiful and the characters are just fine. But the story is short and disappointing and the gameplay suffers from lack of depth. FFXV is a good game, but it can never bring the former glories back to the series.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Feb 14, 2017
    Even as you reflect on the rarity of a blockbuster that's willing to take real risks, you'll be left with the uncomfortable realisation that ten years wasn't quite long enough, after all. Those jagged edges are, in the end, just a little too sharp. [Feb 2017, p.110]
  3. Feb 7, 2017
    Despite a divided feel, torn between what it was and what it plans to be, Final Fantasy XV has a lot to offer. If you're a diehard JRPG fan, then it's a positive sign that the series can cross over to a new format. And if you're just looking for an open world adventure, Final Fantasy XV certainly has that in spades, while doing just enough things differently to separate it from the likes of Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls.