8.8

1. Mar 18, 2014
    From time to time I would dust off my ps2 and play these 2 games. They nailed the remaster and everything looks beautiful. Not to mention the integrity of FFX's story won't ever become outdated. I cannot wait to put another 100+ hours into them. My favorite RPGs just got better.
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is BEAUTIFUL! The characters and environments are cleaner, brighter, and a lot more crisp! I don't need to describe how awesome this game is because almost everyone and their mother has already played it. We can finally get a chance to fight the Dark Aeons, Penance, and get extra Dresspheres that weren't in our (America) original version. I think SE fixed the lip sync a little bit also because the characters mouths don't flap nearly as much. Glad I can have a whole better experience with these games on Ps3. Thanks so much, Square Enix!! Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2014
    These games truly are all time classic favorite RPG's of mine. Being the type of person to spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours maxing out characters sphere grids and playing Blitzball, I was more than excited to find out that these game were being remade in HD. I pre-orded as soon as I found out months ago, and sure enough the day is finally here. After the months of anticipation and eagerly waiting, I can't say that i'm the least disappointed. These games are phenomenal, the visuals stunning, and still the same classic games that got me hooked on RPG's; the games that I love. I will be playing these non stop for probably the next couple of months between work, and am definitely excited for the extra content. If you haven't played these games, or haven't yet gotten a copy, I'm telling you to go do that now!!!! You really won't be disappointed. 10/10 no doubt. Extra content and hours upon hours of extra gameplay, including extra new cutscenes, you can't go wrong! Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    Tremendous value for the money they're asking. With this package you're getting one genre defining RPG experience, and FF X-2 *cough*. But for 40 bucks, you're getting well over 80 hours of entertainment, set with gorgeous locales, interesting characters, and fan service *cough FFX-2*. A must buy for any RPG fan.
  5. Mar 18, 2014
    Did a great job with everything. I am glad to see both games in better graphics. It definitely does both games justice. I do miss the original winning song though from 10. All in all I have to say it's wonderful and well worth what it was priced. I am still unsure about the audio-drama though, ill have to sit and listen to that sometime. All in all I think it is a wonderful game just as good as the original! I can't wait to use the expert sphere grid and customize my characters a lot better! I am off to play the game now! Expand
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    Being the game that got me into RPGs and gaming all together, I would change my PS3 cables for my PS2 ones and play them again and again, completely ignoring the fact I buy a new game every week or so and pushing it aside to join my favourite characters on their journey to defeat Sin once and for all. Square did an amazing job rendering everything in HD, it's even more beautiful to watch--not to mention I'm thrilled to finally get my hands on a copy of FFX: The Eternal Calm and FFX-2: Last Mission. I just received this in the mail after waiting five months for it, and I cried as soon as I was able to pop it into my system. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    A blast from the past that comes at a discount ($40 for two games).

There are a couple minor problems though: (1) You cannot skip cut-scenes, which can easily surpass five minutes. (2) As others have stated, the lip syncing is miserable. I have to consciously make myself not stare at the characters lips while they're talking. (3) More importantly, however, are the annoyingly long
    loading times. Unlike the recently remastered Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - or even Square's own FFXIII Lightning Returns - there is no option to preload levels/maps to utilize PS3's hard drive. While those files were pretty massive, you could delete and reinstall them as you wish, which is fine with me if it speeds up the lag between locations.

In sum, FFX's greatness nevertheless overcomes the aforementioned problems and still deserves an 8 in my book. I do admit that I might have given it a 7 if it weren't for the nostalgia of my childhood.
  8. Mar 21, 2014
    Final Fantasy X on ps2 was my favourite game of all time and I really waited for this HD remaster. FFX-2 I really liked too ,but not as much as X. Both games are awesome and collection is perfect. There are some changes, but it doesn't affect much those game and I think it's good, even music was improved. Everyone who played those games, knows what to expect. For those people who didn't played FFX I can only recommend this game and you won't be disappointed. Great story(best love scene in gaming history), great gameplay with one of the best battle system and lots,lots to do in this game (100-200h). This game is really worth the time you will spend playing it. FFX-2 is just a good bonus with another 100 hours of gameplay. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    Remastering of a game can be challenging at times. Updating and making sure sound effects, music, and videos or game play animation can be a chore so it doesn't look off to the rest of the game. Thankful this is one game that pulls it off nicely. Game play besides some off quests are smoothly integrated into the game skilfully. Most music is nicely update with tones from the older game. Graphics and animation are still as beautiful as the first time you played via Ps2 era and everything you come to love from a turn based RPG game is here.

Some of the voice to animation/video is off and some of the game side quest can be tedious with also backdrops not meshing well... but all can be forgiven with the time and care that was given with this game. Now if future Final Fantasy games were given such treatment my love for the franchise can continue...
  10. Mar 20, 2014
    Incredibly refurbished environment, they even updated their soundtrack without ruining it, which is extremely nice to know. Being able to enjoy a nostalgic masterpiece has never been any better.
  11. Mar 24, 2014
    The games are great and the graphics are VERY good. Wierdly, Square-Enix did a great job with this port. These two games, over all FFX, are a must for all the FF lovers.
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    This game really shows what square can do. Its a shame that they have fallen so far from grace but anyways the game still holds up very well today. I really hope the sales for this go through the roof so we can get a final fantasy XII remaster. That game would look beautiful as well as this one.

But to not sound like a broken record here. This game has amazing characters and gameplay.
    The environments look especially great in this game. I would say that the voice acting is the only complaint that i have but only a few times in the story. I still love lulu, aurons and yunas voices. Expand
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is brilliant, as ever with a Final Fantasy game. I never finished the game on PS2 but I really enjoyed what I played, the characters, environment, and the soundtrack are all top notch. Now with the HD version the music is changed up a little, some tracks are really good but aren't quite as good as the originals, nonetheless they're still fantastic. You'd be a fool not to buy this game even if you're new to the franchise or a veteran of it. Expand
  14. Apr 11, 2014
    The game has excellent combat mechanics and the story is interesting, but I'm not sure why this one gets a pass for its linearity while XIII gets bashed by everybody. Basically, the game is walk forward a little down one path and either a cutscene or battle is triggered. I understand that the game is old, but I was hoping for a little bit more of an open world experience than what this game delivers. Expand
  15. Mar 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy X was, and still is, my favourite game of all time. It was my first step into the Final Fantasy world.
    As soon as I heard that they were remaking it in HD, I put my deposit down as soon as I could.
    I can honestly say, the game is still just as good as it was back then. Sure, it's a bit dated in the animation department but it's still amazing.
    As far as the graphics go,
    it could have been released during the PS3/360 era.
    I do believe the voice acting on some characters lack enthusiasm.
    The battle system is the best I've ever played.
    Props to SE for doing a really good job on it.
  16. Mar 22, 2014
    This gorgeously long awaited remaster has shook me to the core. Not only does this remaster look like it was already a PS3 game to begin with, but it comes with the international editions which in themselves gives everything X, X-2 has to offer. It also comes with a bonus clip called the "Eternal Calm" which creates a much needed bridge between X and X-2 and a sort of strange and confusing 30 minute audio drama. If it's already there though we might as well enjoy it. With all of that being said, remember the lip syncing issues that plauged the PS2 versions of the game? yep. still there. Facial expressions are also a bit odd at times but all in all this remaster is by far the finest one I've seen for the generation of consoles it's on and i couldn't be happier. Expand
  17. Mar 25, 2014
    Probably the only game to ever make me cry, FFX's story really captures you and it's aged really well. It kept me interested from start to finish. I think that the simplicity of the story is what kept me and many other people focused on progressing through this wonderful, magical game.
  18. Mar 19, 2014
    For me this is the last good Final fantasy which was made and i'm ecstatic that its now been remastered and looks better than ever.
    Final fantasy X is simply JRPG at its finest. I've read reviews stating that this game hasn't aged well and now seems dated which i think is nonsense.
    The only negative i can think of with this remastered addiction is that there are times when the voice and
    animation isn't in sync which is pretty noticeable. Expand
  19. Apr 7, 2014
    Final Fantasy truly is a series that has some gems, and a few missteps. Often I read people praise FF VII, and rightfully so because the game is genius. I believe FF X is often left out of the conversation when the best of FF is discussed. FFX is great and the added bonus to fight Dark Aeons, and a few other features that weren't in the original U.S. version is fantastic. The remaster of both games are great, and will provide hours of your time, and most importantly you will enjoy it if you are a fan of RPG, or FF. FF X-2 is a nice bonus, but if your like me you wold purchase this for FF X alone.

There are some flaws. The game does have some inconsistent HD visuals, and some long loading times. They are small issues, and does not detract from the experience too much. It is noticeable and worth a mention however.

Fun Factor-9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Controls: 9/10
    Graphics: 8/10
  20. Mar 31, 2014
    Having been an enormous fan of this game when it originally came out, to see it again, remastered and in portable format is a joy. The music (for X) has been tweaked and is comfortably as good as the original (traditionalists may disagree, but I think it's actually better). The gameplay is much the same as before, which is definitely a good thing, however the addition of being able to quickly heal your party with the swipe of your finger on the screen is a great addition. The story is exceptional, and after the recent XIII installments (read: tragedies), the throwback to the non-linearity of FFX is outstanding. Add in trophies for those needing some incite to complete absolutely everything in this amazing RPG and you've got a phenomenal package on your hands. The only slight downside is that you can't skip cutscenes, so for those that do indeed trophy-hunt, a little patience is required here and there. Brilliant. Expand
  21. Apr 5, 2014
    Only downside in my opinion is how the HD version seems to have taken the color out of the characters faces, which is very apparent in the scene where they sit at a campfire just outside Zanarkand. In the original you can see the light of the surroundings coloring the faces to a yellowish color. In the HD version that's completely gone and it looks a little off..
    But I LOVED the game when
    it first came out on ps2, and I'm loving it again this time. There's so much stuff to do, if you're willing to put in the work, but if you're not you shouldn't be playing FF games to begin with. As with all FF games the first part of the story is pretty linear, untill at some point you get access to an airship. But I liked the storyline so much it didn't feel like a restriction at all (like it did for me with FF XIII). By now I'm around 150 hours into the game (FFX), and I still have tons of stuff to do before I feel like I've done all there is to do in this game. If you're a bit of a completionist, you can easily spend over 250 hours in this game. For example, my ps2 savegame stands at 672 hours.And then I still haven't started FFX-2.. You get a lot more gaming time for your money than pretty much any other game on the market. That's also why I'm rating it a 10.. How often do I pay 60 bucks for a game I finish in 6 hours... Expand
  22. Apr 11, 2014
    One of the best HD Collections on the PS3 but it's not without it's flaws. Final Fantasy X's story hasn't aged a day and it's still a very captivating experience and while X-2 has a less powerful story it's still fairly noteworthy and the gameplay in both titles is still some of the series best and it's still just as good as when it was first released and the international version content for both games also sweetens the deal. But as stated this collection isn't without it's problems. The rearranged soundtrack is nice and I will give Square Enix points for effort and I will admit some of it is very good but some of the other tracks don't have the punch of the originals and there is no option to switch between the original and arranged tracks it won't please everybody so purists beware. The new character models also have their problems the added detail is very nice but the facial expressions look very stiff and soulless so emotions are less believable compared to the PS2 counterparts (especially in the more powerful scenes in the game). If you can get past these problems then you will be spending a very long time with this collection. Expand
  23. Apr 2, 2014
    Great games, greater in hd. New remixed music is good. Any main flaws that exist are due to the limitations of it being a ps2 game, or if in general you are not a fan of the style/battle system/ story telling that comes with a this type of RPG game.
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    I love FFX. It's one of my favorite games ever made, and I'd give it a 10/10 any day. The graphics look so much better and more colorful than in the original, and I would say that this is the best version available of the game. That being said, there are major problems with this remaster:

1. FPS lag. I know the PS3 is eight years old, but this is ridiculous. Even openworld sandboxes
    like "Infamous 2" (2011) didn't have any FPS problems. FFX is a linear game, and you can't even move the camera, so why the FPS drops? These drops happen when there's a lot of stuff on the screen, such as when throwing a grenade or using spells.

2. Load times. In the PS2 version there weren't any loadtimes, except for those half a second cuts when you leave an area. In this remaster those cuts have increased to five seconds. This might not sound like a problem, but it gets really irritating in the long run.

It seems this remaster was a rather rushed product. These problems do not break the magnificent game though, and I would recommend it especially if you missed out on the game in the PS2 days.

And as for FFX-2... It sucks. It has always sucked. It still sucks. Don't touch it.
  25. Apr 1, 2014
    This is a beautiful remaster of an incredible entry in the Final Fantasy series. This package contains two very well fleshed out RPGs with amazing battle systems in both X and X-2 and an awe-inspiring world with fully developed, unique characters. The re-done character models look great, the environment with vibrant and looked stunning in HD and the remastered soundtrack is terrific. X has an epic storyline that will grip any RPG fan while X-2 is more light-hearted but still great fun to play. International content is added for those that didn't have access to it before. This includes new super bosses, abilities, job classes, a creature capture system (which add mounds of depth to X-2's customization options) and a plethora of other extras that will make old and new fans alike really enjoy this compilation. Definitely value for money. Very small issues such as unskippable cut-scenes in X and slightly longer loading times really do not detract from the experience. Expand
  26. Apr 8, 2014
    I would like this to be known: this score reflects FFX HD. I do not count the scoring of FFX-2 in this review.
    That being said, lets move on.

Everything about Final Fantasy X is a great game. The characters are endearing, the voice acting is good, the storytelling is wonderful, the music is heartening, and the gameplay is fierce. Let it be said that this is a traditional RPG. Many have
    said that they do not think that FFX, what they consider a relic of the old generation, belongs on this generation technology. Whether they prefer the changes to RPGs in our culture or they are simply not taken in by the masterful storytelling, they are not amused by FFX.

For anyone who is not familiar this version of the game comes with additional side quests, an optional new "hard mode" leveling system, special bosses, and tons of other reworked content. This game was a gem of its time and over 10 years later has improved vastly.

To go into a bit of detail about the usual specs:

Graphics: The graphics are the largest reason for the update, in my opinion. Everything form the textures, to the lightning, and the animations have been overhauled to give this game a level of polish we could only dream about on PS2. There are some glaring flaws in the early game where eyes and facial animations do not properly convey emotion. This is most easily avoided by having the contrast/brightness properly adjusted on your monitor/TV. Otherwise, graphically this game is great. As a newcomer to the series who cannot compare it to the old game you will think that there is nothing special about it. Do not judge a book by it's cover. Updating old assets with new technology is no easy task, and Square Enix performed admirably. 8/10

Sound: Nobuo Uematsu, the legendary composer, re-worked many of the games themes to have a deeper richness to it. From an old perspective anew I cannot say that I am entirely impressed. Some themes will "wow" you and others will "meh" you. As a purist of the old game, from an audio perspective, I enjoy the soundtrack, but fondly remember what it was. From a new perspective there is nothing here that will shock and awe you, but the soundtrack is certainly enjoyable.
    One thing that has not changed is the voiceovers. Nearly every main story character (by main story I include persons such as Maester Mica or Maechen) are voiced in nearly every word they say. Other, glancing persons are simply read, but you will not feel like your experience was lessened by the lack of VOs from such persons. 7/10

Gameplay: This is a fantastic RPG. One that breaks the mold on so many levels. For the first time in a Final Fantasy game you can control the summons and progress them like any other character. This is done through unlocks gained in the main storyline, and can be (not-permanently) missed if one doesn't talk to the right people. However, the ability to train your summons anyway you see fit is certainly a step in the right direction for "summon" spells in an RPG. Main character progression is done through incremental stat upgrades on what is called the "sphere grid". Levels are traditionally gained through "AP" (EXP) in combat. These levels are significantly easier to obtain because they do not grant stat increases in and of themselves. Instead, these levels allow you to navigate a "map" of sorts with your character icon unlocking stat increases, spells, and abilities. The standard grid has your characters progressing a certain playstyle until the later half of the game where control is more in your hands. However, the "expert grid" for the international version allows you to train your characters as you see fit.
    This can be a disadvantage when the game expects you to know certain skills/spells for some bosses, but I have hardly ever seen it be a problem. For newcomers, stick to the basics until you are familiar. (This will require a restart or a second playthrough to change later.) The combat system allows you to actively switch out between all your characters (barring storyline separations) and each character is more or less a "class" until you gain progression control. Lastly, the overdrive system, a sort of limit break, is trainable to certain styles. Instead of earning your gauge from taking damage you may set it to dealing damage or healing allies (unlocked as you progress). Plenty of sidequests and specials to complete, especially in the international version. All in all, 10/10 gameplay.

If you're looking for a fantastic RPG look no further. The price is amazing considering it contains 10 and its sequel , but if you bought it just for FFX HD you will NOT be disappointed. Take your time, enjoy the scenery, and may Yevon watch over you.
  27. Apr 15, 2014
    OMG I'm so **** upset. Platin'd FFXII-2 and beat the hardest boss Aeronite in FFXIII-3, and now this in X. It's virtually impossible to beat the hardest bosses, or ever get there. The game is completely screwed up. I wasn't noting anymore from a certain point on. Here you go. The game is crap. Just received a hint, but it is crap.
    The battle menus have to be scrolled.
    Capturing monsters
    for the arena has no counter - if not I do know what’s in my pocket, who else? In contrary to FFXIII-3, where the player has to extinct a species, which implies fiends not being carried around, it’s understandable that for e.g. foes, that fall like flies, no counter is introduced (I simply hunt them until none show up anymore).
    A set of monsters is never randomized, but rather the set that the player has to battle is random.
    Every time Lulu beats an enemy, she waves her breasts into the player’s face. That’s a peanut that’s forced unto the player and offends his intellect. If the sweets are optional, it’s a great way for the player to decide himself in when he experiences it, adjusting the experience. The designer’s insecurity over his product can be measured by the amount of breasts he implements: If he thinks he fails, he will try to hand out ‘consolation’, to calm the crowd. (ref. “Mirror of Fate HD”, scene of the succubus)
    The game is linear as heck; what’s the supposed to-be difference to FFXIII, which was criticized so much yet this was rated 9.6? When looking at the guide, or simply playing the game, it very often even appears as if the player would be heading through straight tubes from one to the next section.
    The character’s on the battle screen appear to have ‘spasms’ the moment they are getting “blessed” with haste; icons indicating the status of the character figure would have been better.
    It’s not possible to see the player’s maximum amount of HP / MP on the screen, yet there’s so much space left on it.
    Selecting enemies on the battle screen is not uniform -
    On the board screen it says “Teached the ability Water.”. Better would have been: “Water: Deals light water damage.” as abilities often are not self-explanatory.
    The chocobo can’t fly or jump.
    The player cannot open the map. Ever.
    Though the player is collecting more than one sphere, only the Jecht’s Sphere shows up in inventory.
    The Dragonball-like pursuers on Mushroom Rock don’t even have any kind of text, so incomplete the game is.
    Maechen (Mt. Gagazet): “And that, is the tale of that.”. (?!)
    At the monster Arena there’s a FFVII style music: Either it should’ve been a FFVII style game or a different music in that case.
    You copied Icewind Dale in Guadosalam. Hard.
    When e.g. poisoned by an enemy and the next turn would kill either the player with his last standing character but one slash of his weapon would kill the enemy, both die though it was the player’s turn that’s been the last.
    When you enter Besaid Temple, your path is blocked by a Dark Aeon summoner. No chance of escape, all in-between progress lost.
    Missable Al Bhed Primers. Why doing that to the player?
    Auron: “I told you, let me handle their kind.”
    In FFVII the player was able to fly around with the airship, in FFX he can not. Looks like things have evolved? ;)
    “Have you found a way to defeat Sin yet?” When the player chooses “Not yet.” he gets the same question asked again. Clearly unfinished content.
  28. Apr 8, 2014
    Story-10/10 Graphics-9/10 Fun-9/10 Controls and Ease to learn-10/10 length-10/10 Replay ability-7/10
    Music-8/10 Difficulty-? Overall-10/10

This game was great to begin with and the remaster is another great example of how great it actually is. The story is generally the same but with new side quest to keep you busy. The addition of the expert sphere grid is great if you are
    looking for customization on how exactly your characters progress. The graphics themselves are simply amazing on the ps3 and the upgraded music makes for better more enjoyable gameplay. Many new additions like sphere abilities for each character make it great so you can never run out while training. The addition of Penance as a boss is another great addition that creates a challenge to push yourself farther this time. As a fan I must say the upgrade to blitzball is awesome. That is just 10 the greatest thing is when your purchase this game you also get remaster 10-2 and some side games only released in Japan. Overall for the price and the quality this game is great for any fan of ff to relive this great classic in the series. Expand
  29. Mar 29, 2014
    Regardless of FFX/X-2 or their International versions, this Remastered version copies the International versions; for what it is intended to do, FFX/X-2 HD Remaster does it flawlessly. So if you loved FFX/X-2, you'll love the HD Remaster - and if you hated it, well may as well give it a rental.
  30. Mar 30, 2014
    Stunning re-issue of the game. Not only the graphics but the soundtrack as well. One of the games that makes you really care for the characters, you find yourself caring or despising them! Sure the mouthing is not synched very well, but it's nothing to take away from how well crafted and thought out this game was.
  31. Apr 1, 2014
    The game reminds me of my teen and childhood memories. Nice remastered version and the game seem to move seemingly through my HDTV.

The only down points are:
    -Emotions on face aren't convincing enough
    -Audio still isn't in sync with characters' mouths
    -Art book needs more pages...

1. Apr 11, 2014
    This is a unique, exciting, addictive, engaging and exciting product, so if you are having doubts do not hesitate, battle the Dark Aeons and save Spira, live this fantasy.
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    Thus while these remakes do not offer much new, they are remakes of such high-quality games that they are worth revisiting, or visiting for the first time.
    A really nice treatment of one of the finest moments of Playstation 2. Sure, some parts haven't aged all that well, but this is still highly recommended.