8.6

1. Mar 18, 2014
    From time to time I would dust off my ps2 and play these 2 games. They nailed the remaster and everything looks beautiful. Not to mention the integrity of FFX's story won't ever become outdated. I cannot wait to put another 100+ hours into them. My favorite RPGs just got better.
  2. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is BEAUTIFUL! The characters and environments are cleaner, brighter, and a lot more crisp! I don't need to describe how awesome this game is because almost everyone and their mother has already played it. We can finally get a chance to fight the Dark Aeons, Penance, and get extra Dresspheres that weren't in our (America) original version. I think SE fixed the lip sync a littleThis game is BEAUTIFUL! The characters and environments are cleaner, brighter, and a lot more crisp! I don't need to describe how awesome this game is because almost everyone and their mother has already played it. We can finally get a chance to fight the Dark Aeons, Penance, and get extra Dresspheres that weren't in our (America) original version. I think SE fixed the lip sync a little bit also because the characters mouths don't flap nearly as much. Glad I can have a whole better experience with these games on Ps3. Thanks so much, Square Enix!! Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2014
    These games truly are all time classic favorite RPG's of mine. Being the type of person to spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours maxing out characters sphere grids and playing Blitzball, I was more than excited to find out that these game were being remade in HD. I pre-orded as soon as I found out months ago, and sure enough the day is finally here. After the months of anticipation andThese games truly are all time classic favorite RPG's of mine. Being the type of person to spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours maxing out characters sphere grids and playing Blitzball, I was more than excited to find out that these game were being remade in HD. I pre-orded as soon as I found out months ago, and sure enough the day is finally here. After the months of anticipation and eagerly waiting, I can't say that i'm the least disappointed. These games are phenomenal, the visuals stunning, and still the same classic games that got me hooked on RPG's; the games that I love. I will be playing these non stop for probably the next couple of months between work, and am definitely excited for the extra content. If you haven't played these games, or haven't yet gotten a copy, I'm telling you to go do that now!!!! You really won't be disappointed. 10/10 no doubt. Extra content and hours upon hours of extra gameplay, including extra new cutscenes, you can't go wrong! Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    Tremendous value for the money they're asking. With this package you're getting one genre defining RPG experience, and FF X-2 *cough*. But for 40 bucks, you're getting well over 80 hours of entertainment, set with gorgeous locales, interesting characters, and fan service *cough FFX-2*. A must buy for any RPG fan.
  5. Mar 18, 2014
    Did a great job with everything. I am glad to see both games in better graphics. It definitely does both games justice. I do miss the original winning song though from 10. All in all I have to say it's wonderful and well worth what it was priced. I am still unsure about the audio-drama though, ill have to sit and listen to that sometime. All in all I think it is a wonderful game justDid a great job with everything. I am glad to see both games in better graphics. It definitely does both games justice. I do miss the original winning song though from 10. All in all I have to say it's wonderful and well worth what it was priced. I am still unsure about the audio-drama though, ill have to sit and listen to that sometime. All in all I think it is a wonderful game just as good as the original! I can't wait to use the expert sphere grid and customize my characters a lot better! I am off to play the game now! Expand
  6. Mar 18, 2014
    Being the game that got me into RPGs and gaming all together, I would change my PS3 cables for my PS2 ones and play them again and again, completely ignoring the fact I buy a new game every week or so and pushing it aside to join my favourite characters on their journey to defeat Sin once and for all. Square did an amazing job rendering everything in HD, it's even more beautiful toBeing the game that got me into RPGs and gaming all together, I would change my PS3 cables for my PS2 ones and play them again and again, completely ignoring the fact I buy a new game every week or so and pushing it aside to join my favourite characters on their journey to defeat Sin once and for all. Square did an amazing job rendering everything in HD, it's even more beautiful to watch--not to mention I'm thrilled to finally get my hands on a copy of FFX: The Eternal Calm and FFX-2: Last Mission. I just received this in the mail after waiting five months for it, and I cried as soon as I was able to pop it into my system. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2014
    A blast from the past that comes at a discount ($40 for two games).

A blast from the past that comes at a discount ($40 for two games).

There are a couple minor problems though: (1) You cannot skip cut-scenes, which can easily surpass five minutes. (2) As others have stated, the lip syncing is miserable. I have to consciously make myself not stare at the characters lips while they're talking. (3) More importantly, however, are the annoyingly long loading times. Unlike the recently remastered Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - or even Square's own FFXIII Lightning Returns - there is no option to preload levels/maps to utilize PS3's hard drive. While those files were pretty massive, you could delete and reinstall them as you wish, which is fine with me if it speeds up the lag between locations.

In sum, FFX's greatness nevertheless overcomes the aforementioned problems and still deserves an 8 in my book. I do admit that I might have given it a 7 if it weren't for the nostalgia of my childhood.
  8. Mar 21, 2014
    This game really shows what square can do. Its a shame that they have fallen so far from grace but anyways the game still holds up very well today. I really hope the sales for this go through the roof so we can get a final fantasy XII remaster. That game would look beautiful as well as this one.

But to not sound like a broken record here. This game has amazing characters and gameplay. The environments look especially great in this game. I would say that the voice acting is the only complaint that i have but only a few times in the story. I still love lulu, aurons and yunas voices.
  9. Mar 21, 2014
    Final Fantasy X on ps2 was my favourite game of all time and I really waited for this HD remaster. FFX-2 I really liked too ,but not as much as X. Both games are awesome and collection is perfect. There are some changes, but it doesn't affect much those game and I think it's good, even music was improved. Everyone who played those games, knows what to expect. For those people who didn'tFinal Fantasy X on ps2 was my favourite game of all time and I really waited for this HD remaster. FFX-2 I really liked too ,but not as much as X. Both games are awesome and collection is perfect. There are some changes, but it doesn't affect much those game and I think it's good, even music was improved. Everyone who played those games, knows what to expect. For those people who didn't played FFX I can only recommend this game and you won't be disappointed. Great story(best love scene in gaming history), great gameplay with one of the best battle system and lots,lots to do in this game (100-200h). This game is really worth the time you will spend playing it. FFX-2 is just a good bonus with another 100 hours of gameplay. Expand
  10. Mar 19, 2014
    Remastering of a game can be challenging at times. Updating and making sure sound effects, music, and videos or game play animation can be a chore so it doesn't look off to the rest of the game. Thankful this is one game that pulls it off nicely. Game play besides some off quests are smoothly integrated into the game skilfully. Most music is nicely update with tones from the older game.Remastering of a game can be challenging at times. Updating and making sure sound effects, music, and videos or game play animation can be a chore so it doesn't look off to the rest of the game. Thankful this is one game that pulls it off nicely. Game play besides some off quests are smoothly integrated into the game skilfully. Most music is nicely update with tones from the older game. Graphics and animation are still as beautiful as the first time you played via Ps2 era and everything you come to love from a turn based RPG game is here.

Some of the voice to animation/video is off and some of the game side quest can be tedious with also backdrops not meshing well... but all can be forgiven with the time and care that was given with this game. Now if future Final Fantasy games were given such treatment my love for the franchise can continue...
  11. Mar 20, 2014
    Incredibly refurbished environment, they even updated their soundtrack without ruining it, which is extremely nice to know. Being able to enjoy a nostalgic masterpiece has never been any better.
  12. Mar 25, 2014
    Probably the only game to ever make me cry, FFX's story really captures you and it's aged really well. It kept me interested from start to finish. I think that the simplicity of the story is what kept me and many other people focused on progressing through this wonderful, magical game.
  13. Mar 24, 2014
    The games are great and the graphics are VERY good. Wierdly, Square-Enix did a great job with this port. These two games, over all FFX, are a must for all the FF lovers.
  14. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is brilliant, as ever with a Final Fantasy game. I never finished the game on PS2 but I really enjoyed what I played, the characters, environment, and the soundtrack are all top notch. Now with the HD version the music is changed up a little, some tracks are really good but aren't quite as good as the originals, nonetheless they're still fantastic. You'd be a fool not to buy thisThis game is brilliant, as ever with a Final Fantasy game. I never finished the game on PS2 but I really enjoyed what I played, the characters, environment, and the soundtrack are all top notch. Now with the HD version the music is changed up a little, some tracks are really good but aren't quite as good as the originals, nonetheless they're still fantastic. You'd be a fool not to buy this game even if you're new to the franchise or a veteran of it. Expand
  15. Apr 11, 2014
    The game has excellent combat mechanics and the story is interesting, but I'm not sure why this one gets a pass for its linearity while XIII gets bashed by everybody. Basically, the game is walk forward a little down one path and either a cutscene or battle is triggered. I understand that the game is old, but I was hoping for a little bit more of an open world experience than what thisThe game has excellent combat mechanics and the story is interesting, but I'm not sure why this one gets a pass for its linearity while XIII gets bashed by everybody. Basically, the game is walk forward a little down one path and either a cutscene or battle is triggered. I understand that the game is old, but I was hoping for a little bit more of an open world experience than what this game delivers. Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2014
    I love FFX. It's one of my favorite games ever made, and I'd give it a 10/10 any day. The graphics look so much better and more colorful than in the original, and I would say that this is the best version available of the game. That being said, there are major problems with this remaster:

1. FPS lag. I know the PS3 is eight years old, but this is ridiculous. Even openworld sandboxes like "Infamous 2" (2011) didn't have any FPS problems. FFX is a linear game, and you can't even move the camera, so why the FPS drops? These drops happen when there's a lot of stuff on the screen, such as when throwing a grenade or using spells.

2. Load times. In the PS2 version there weren't any loadtimes, except for those half a second cuts when you leave an area. In this remaster those cuts have increased to five seconds. This might not sound like a problem, but it gets really irritating in the long run.

It seems this remaster was a rather rushed product. These problems do not break the magnificent game though, and I would recommend it especially if you missed out on the game in the PS2 days.

And as for FFX-2... It sucks. It has always sucked. It still sucks. Don't touch it.
  17. Mar 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy X was, and still is, my favourite game of all time. It was my first step into the Final Fantasy world.
    As soon as I heard that they were remaking it in HD, I put my deposit down as soon as I could.
    I can honestly say, the game is still just as good as it was back then. Sure, it's a bit dated in the animation department but it's still amazing. As far as the graphics go,
    As far as the graphics go, it could have been released during the PS3/360 era.
    I do believe the voice acting on some characters lack enthusiasm.
    The battle system is the best I've ever played.
    Props to SE for doing a really good job on it.
  18. Mar 22, 2014
    This gorgeously long awaited remaster has shook me to the core. Not only does this remaster look like it was already a PS3 game to begin with, but it comes with the international editions which in themselves gives everything X, X-2 has to offer. It also comes with a bonus clip called the "Eternal Calm" which creates a much needed bridge between X and X-2 and a sort of strange and confusingThis gorgeously long awaited remaster has shook me to the core. Not only does this remaster look like it was already a PS3 game to begin with, but it comes with the international editions which in themselves gives everything X, X-2 has to offer. It also comes with a bonus clip called the "Eternal Calm" which creates a much needed bridge between X and X-2 and a sort of strange and confusing 30 minute audio drama. If it's already there though we might as well enjoy it. With all of that being said, remember the lip syncing issues that plauged the PS2 versions of the game? yep. still there. Facial expressions are also a bit odd at times but all in all this remaster is by far the finest one I've seen for the generation of consoles it's on and i couldn't be happier. Expand
  19. Apr 15, 2014
    OMG I'm so **** upset. Platin'd FFXII-2 and beat the hardest boss Aeronite in FFXIII-3, and now this in X. It's virtually impossible to beat the hardest bosses, or ever get there. The game is completely screwed up. I wasn't noting anymore from a certain point on. Here you go. The game is crap. Just received a hint, but it is crap.
    The battle menus have to be scrolled.
    Capturing monsters
    The battle menus have to be scrolled.
    Capturing monsters for the arena has no counter - if not I do know what’s in my pocket, who else? In contrary to FFXIII-3, where the player has to extinct a species, which implies fiends not being carried around, it’s understandable that for e.g. foes, that fall like flies, no counter is introduced (I simply hunt them until none show up anymore).
    A set of monsters is never randomized, but rather the set that the player has to battle is random.
    Every time Lulu beats an enemy, she waves her breasts into the player’s face. That’s a peanut that’s forced unto the player and offends his intellect. If the sweets are optional, it’s a great way for the player to decide himself in when he experiences it, adjusting the experience. The designer’s insecurity over his product can be measured by the amount of breasts he implements: If he thinks he fails, he will try to hand out ‘consolation’, to calm the crowd. (ref. “Mirror of Fate HD”, scene of the succubus)
    The game is linear as heck; what’s the supposed to-be difference to FFXIII, which was criticized so much yet this was rated 9.6? When looking at the guide, or simply playing the game, it very often even appears as if the player would be heading through straight tubes from one to the next section.
    The character’s on the battle screen appear to have ‘spasms’ the moment they are getting “blessed” with haste; icons indicating the status of the character figure would have been better.
    It’s not possible to see the player’s maximum amount of HP / MP on the screen, yet there’s so much space left on it.
    Selecting enemies on the battle screen is not uniform -
    On the board screen it says “Teached the ability Water.”. Better would have been: “Water: Deals light water damage.” as abilities often are not self-explanatory.
    The chocobo can’t fly or jump.
    The player cannot open the map. Ever.
    Though the player is collecting more than one sphere, only the Jecht’s Sphere shows up in inventory.
    The Dragonball-like pursuers on Mushroom Rock don’t even have any kind of text, so incomplete the game is.
    Maechen (Mt. Gagazet): “And that, is the tale of that.”. (?!)
    At the monster Arena there’s a FFVII style music: Either it should’ve been a FFVII style game or a different music in that case.
    You copied Icewind Dale in Guadosalam. Hard.
    When e.g. poisoned by an enemy and the next turn would kill either the player with his last standing character but one slash of his weapon would kill the enemy, both die though it was the player’s turn that’s been the last.
    When you enter Besaid Temple, your path is blocked by a Dark Aeon summoner. No chance of escape, all in-between progress lost.
    Missable Al Bhed Primers. Why doing that to the player?
    Auron: “I told you, let me handle their kind.”
    In FFVII the player was able to fly around with the airship, in FFX he can not. Looks like things have evolved? ;)
    “Have you found a way to defeat Sin yet?” When the player chooses “Not yet.” he gets the same question asked again. Clearly unfinished content.
  20. Mar 19, 2014
    For me this is the last good Final fantasy which was made and i'm ecstatic that its now been remastered and looks better than ever.
    Final fantasy X is simply JRPG at its finest. I've read reviews stating that this game hasn't aged well and now seems dated which i think is nonsense.
    The only negative i can think of with this remastered addiction is that there are times when the voice and animation isn't in sync which is pretty noticeable.
  21. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loading screens for doing whatever. characters seem to float off the ground (graphics aren't merged correctly), pixelated faces on npc's in most of the game, tidus voice, ff x-2.

all of the above are the bad things about the game. And the main reason why asking for 40 dollars is an outrage. Better to play the original Ps2 version. Really, avoid x-2, is a waste of energy.
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    Yes, original release of Final Fantasy X I would have given a 8 to, but this HD release being sold for 30+ dollars is not worth it. Graphics don't hold up, loading screens every 1 minute just to walk into a room. They could have made entire game with no loading screens with today's technology but programmers were too lazy. Game not even close in quality to today's indie games. ShouldYes, original release of Final Fantasy X I would have given a 8 to, but this HD release being sold for 30+ dollars is not worth it. Graphics don't hold up, loading screens every 1 minute just to walk into a room. They could have made entire game with no loading screens with today's technology but programmers were too lazy. Game not even close in quality to today's indie games. Should have done a remake, HD releases are a waste of time and money, and just a money grab by companies who can't come up with new game ideas.

Remake old game releases, don't make HD versions of old outdated gameplay.
  23. Apr 7, 2014
    Final Fantasy truly is a series that has some gems, and a few missteps. Often I read people praise FF VII, and rightfully so because the game is genius. I believe FF X is often left out of the conversation when the best of FF is discussed. FFX is great and the added bonus to fight Dark Aeons, and a few other features that weren't in the original U.S. version is fantastic. The remasterFinal Fantasy truly is a series that has some gems, and a few missteps. Often I read people praise FF VII, and rightfully so because the game is genius. I believe FF X is often left out of the conversation when the best of FF is discussed. FFX is great and the added bonus to fight Dark Aeons, and a few other features that weren't in the original U.S. version is fantastic. The remaster of both games are great, and will provide hours of your time, and most importantly you will enjoy it if you are a fan of RPG, or FF. FF X-2 is a nice bonus, but if your like me you wold purchase this for FF X alone.

There are some flaws. The game does have some inconsistent HD visuals, and some long loading times. They are small issues, and does not detract from the experience too much. It is noticeable and worth a mention however.

Fun Factor-9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Controls: 9/10
    Graphics: 8/10
  24. Mar 31, 2014
    Having been an enormous fan of this game when it originally came out, to see it again, remastered and in portable format is a joy. The music (for X) has been tweaked and is comfortably as good as the original (traditionalists may disagree, but I think it's actually better). The gameplay is much the same as before, which is definitely a good thing, however the addition of being able toHaving been an enormous fan of this game when it originally came out, to see it again, remastered and in portable format is a joy. The music (for X) has been tweaked and is comfortably as good as the original (traditionalists may disagree, but I think it's actually better). The gameplay is much the same as before, which is definitely a good thing, however the addition of being able to quickly heal your party with the swipe of your finger on the screen is a great addition. The story is exceptional, and after the recent XIII installments (read: tragedies), the throwback to the non-linearity of FFX is outstanding. Add in trophies for those needing some incite to complete absolutely everything in this amazing RPG and you've got a phenomenal package on your hands. The only slight downside is that you can't skip cutscenes, so for those that do indeed trophy-hunt, a little patience is required here and there. Brilliant. Expand
  25. Apr 5, 2014
    Only downside in my opinion is how the HD version seems to have taken the color out of the characters faces, which is very apparent in the scene where they sit at a campfire just outside Zanarkand. In the original you can see the light of the surroundings coloring the faces to a yellowish color. In the HD version that's completely gone and it looks a little off..
    But I LOVED the game when
    But I LOVED the game when it first came out on ps2, and I'm loving it again this time. There's so much stuff to do, if you're willing to put in the work, but if you're not you shouldn't be playing FF games to begin with. As with all FF games the first part of the story is pretty linear, untill at some point you get access to an airship. But I liked the storyline so much it didn't feel like a restriction at all (like it did for me with FF XIII). By now I'm around 150 hours into the game (FFX), and I still have tons of stuff to do before I feel like I've done all there is to do in this game. If you're a bit of a completionist, you can easily spend over 250 hours in this game. For example, my ps2 savegame stands at 672 hours.And then I still haven't started FFX-2.. You get a lot more gaming time for your money than pretty much any other game on the market. That's also why I'm rating it a 10.. How often do I pay 60 bucks for a game I finish in 6 hours...
  26. Apr 11, 2014
    One of the best HD Collections on the PS3 but it's not without it's flaws. Final Fantasy X's story hasn't aged a day and it's still a very captivating experience and while X-2 has a less powerful story it's still fairly noteworthy and the gameplay in both titles is still some of the series best and it's still just as good as when it was first released and the international version contentOne of the best HD Collections on the PS3 but it's not without it's flaws. Final Fantasy X's story hasn't aged a day and it's still a very captivating experience and while X-2 has a less powerful story it's still fairly noteworthy and the gameplay in both titles is still some of the series best and it's still just as good as when it was first released and the international version content for both games also sweetens the deal. But as stated this collection isn't without it's problems. The rearranged soundtrack is nice and I will give Square Enix points for effort and I will admit some of it is very good but some of the other tracks don't have the punch of the originals and there is no option to switch between the original and arranged tracks it won't please everybody so purists beware. The new character models also have their problems the added detail is very nice but the facial expressions look very stiff and soulless so emotions are less believable compared to the PS2 counterparts (especially in the more powerful scenes in the game). If you can get past these problems then you will be spending a very long time with this collection. Expand
  27. Nov 26, 2014
    Divine game! All the problems with the original version has been corrected, the game looks more beautiful, the soundtrack sounds better. What do you want more? If you have a PS3 / PSV you have to play this game!
  28. Aug 21, 2014
    This is based on only playing about 5 hours of X. I have not delved into X-2. I'll give it a benefit of the doubt on some stuff, like being ancient in terms of gamer time, but I doubt I will reach hour 6. Maybe it was more revolutionary back when it came out (I didn't play it then), but this has got to be one of the most ridiculously cut-scened game I have ever "played". About 12This is based on only playing about 5 hours of X. I have not delved into X-2. I'll give it a benefit of the doubt on some stuff, like being ancient in terms of gamer time, but I doubt I will reach hour 6. Maybe it was more revolutionary back when it came out (I didn't play it then), but this has got to be one of the most ridiculously cut-scened game I have ever "played". About 12 minutes of the game has been actual gameplay so far. It wouldn't be so bad if I could skip the cut-scenes or if they weren't so f*cking stupid. I get that there are messages to be had and emotions to be felt, but this is about the least interesting and/or non-abrasive way in which I could receive those messages and emotions. I went in looking for a decent turn-based RPG (which seemed to be shaping up battlewise rather well in the miniscule amount of battle time there was) and ended with a 138 minute tutorial of blitzball I had no desire to learn. I would've stuck with it had they allowed me to skip the bullsh*t, but instead decided to put the final nail in the coffin that sealed away any remaining interest I had in the Final Fantasy worlds. I played and liked 1 and 7 (many years ago), but 13 and now this? No thanks. Expand
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    Great games, greater in hd. New remixed music is good. Any main flaws that exist are due to the limitations of it being a ps2 game, or if in general you are not a fan of the style/battle system/ story telling that comes with a this type of RPG game.
  30. Apr 21, 2014
    Aside from the strongly anti-religious commentary found in FFX (which may offend or delight you), I will say that its narrative is quite excellent from a pure storytelling aspect. Hands-down the best in the series with several well-paced, shocking reveals that you don’t see coming and don’t feel contrived. If you play through it twice, you’ll notice a lot you missed the first time aroundAside from the strongly anti-religious commentary found in FFX (which may offend or delight you), I will say that its narrative is quite excellent from a pure storytelling aspect. Hands-down the best in the series with several well-paced, shocking reveals that you don’t see coming and don’t feel contrived. If you play through it twice, you’ll notice a lot you missed the first time around and the ending will stay with you.

Gameplay wise, it’s fantastic. It feels like they took the best parts of each previous game and combined them. Some reviews say it feels outdated compared to modern RPGs. I disagree. It takes strategy and more than simple button mashing to beat. The sphere grid system: wow. Unique among RPGs. It gives you total control over how you develop each character and takes planning to prevent having to do a lot of backtracking. Endgame leveling is an unparalleled experience and more than simply finding the enemy who drops the most XP and fighting it repeatedly.

Additionally, each character has a role they follow for most of the game and you can switch them out at any given time during battle. This gives so much life to each character. It’s not like FF6 where you get your four favorites and leave everyone else on the airship or FF4 where the game dictates who is in your party every step of the way. It’s also the first in the series to have any sort of endgame content, especially with all the International Version additions. You can really open things up thanks to the unique sphere grid leveling system, which FF12 and 13 both sort of copied but did not equal.

The drawbacks: they ruined most of the music in the HD version by including some updated soundtrack instead of the OST. Many NPCs don’t hold up graphically, either. People like Cid & Shelinda look terrible. Some of the voice acting, too, is simply awful. FFX is also a much more linear game compared to the more open-world feel of earlier titles. I didn’t mind it b/c it’s not as bad as FF13. There are TONS of secrets to discover and I don’t mind “warping” to a destination in the airship versus having to manually fly it all over the map.

As for FFX-2…ugh. I have never cared for it. They took the very serious & solemn tone of FFX and turned it into some sort of J-pop, girl power, Disney Channel exhibition. The gameplay is pretty solid but man, getting through the story is incredibly annoying. Some scenes make me clench my teeth and shut my eyes until they’re over.

The music has its moments but is largely a step back from FFX. There aren’t many memorable tracks and this game, IMO, started the musical decline of the series which accelerated in 12 & 13. You will, however, notice large graphical improvements right off the bat. There are still areas not up to modern standards yet nothing that’s worse than what you see in FFX.

X-2’s gameplay, however, I can’t find much fault with. It can be jarring coming straight from FFX since it brings back the ATB meter but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The whole “dress sphere” thing is basically a cross between the job system from earlier games and the role-changing system from FF13. It is superior to both of these IMO, though.

X-2 also had quite a bit more added to its International version that FFX did. There is a whole new sub-game of monster capturing (similar to FF13-2) that allows creatures to fight in your party and you can even ultimately unlock cast members from the first game. There is even the extra “X-2: Last Mission” standalone game, which is affected by which ending you got from the main game. I haven’t touched that yet but from what I understand, it offers a kind of epilogue to the series.

Taken together these games easier offer between 200-400 hours of total play time, maybe more, depending on how deep you want to go. And all for $40? It’s more than worth it. If you’re not already a turn-based, JRPG fan this may not be your cup of tea. If you’re a Final Fantasy fan or already a fan of these games from the PS2 days, then you’ll be very satisfied despite a few blemishes.
  31. May 10, 2014
    This is a beautiful remaster of an incredible entry in the Final Fantasy series. This package contains two very well fleshed out RPGs with amazing battle systems in both X and X-2 and an awe-inspiring world with fully developed, unique characters. The re-done character models look great, though the eyes do look a little vacant. The environment is vibrant and looks stunning in HD and theThis is a beautiful remaster of an incredible entry in the Final Fantasy series. This package contains two very well fleshed out RPGs with amazing battle systems in both X and X-2 and an awe-inspiring world with fully developed, unique characters. The re-done character models look great, though the eyes do look a little vacant. The environment is vibrant and looks stunning in HD and the remastered soundtrack is terrific. X has an epic storyline that will grip any RPG fan. International content is added for those that didn't have access to it before. This includes new super bosses, abilities, job classes, a creature capture system (which add mounds of depth to X-2's customization options) and a plethora of other extras that will make old and new fans alike really enjoy this compilation. Very small issues such as unskippable cut-scenes in X and slightly longer loading times really do not detract from the experience. Though this package is great value for money, X-2's story did disappoint me quite a lot. Expand
  32. Jul 13, 2014
    My favorite RPG of all time. Everything about the remaster is perfect, EXCEPT for what they did to Tidus' face. >.< I have yet to play an RPG that has a better story than FFX.
  33. Apr 8, 2014
    I would like this to be known: this score reflects FFX HD. I do not count the scoring of FFX-2 in this review.
    That being said, lets move on.
    That being said, lets move on.

Everything about Final Fantasy X is a great game. The characters are endearing, the voice acting is good, the storytelling is wonderful, the music is heartening, and the gameplay is fierce. Let it be said that this is a traditional RPG. Many have said that they do not think that FFX, what they consider a relic of the old generation, belongs on this generation technology. Whether they prefer the changes to RPGs in our culture or they are simply not taken in by the masterful storytelling, they are not amused by FFX.

For anyone who is not familiar this version of the game comes with additional side quests, an optional new "hard mode" leveling system, special bosses, and tons of other reworked content. This game was a gem of its time and over 10 years later has improved vastly.

To go into a bit of detail about the usual specs:

Graphics: The graphics are the largest reason for the update, in my opinion. Everything form the textures, to the lightning, and the animations have been overhauled to give this game a level of polish we could only dream about on PS2. There are some glaring flaws in the early game where eyes and facial animations do not properly convey emotion. This is most easily avoided by having the contrast/brightness properly adjusted on your monitor/TV. Otherwise, graphically this game is great. As a newcomer to the series who cannot compare it to the old game you will think that there is nothing special about it. Do not judge a book by it's cover. Updating old assets with new technology is no easy task, and Square Enix performed admirably. 8/10

Sound: Nobuo Uematsu, the legendary composer, re-worked many of the games themes to have a deeper richness to it. From an old perspective anew I cannot say that I am entirely impressed. Some themes will "wow" you and others will "meh" you. As a purist of the old game, from an audio perspective, I enjoy the soundtrack, but fondly remember what it was. From a new perspective there is nothing here that will shock and awe you, but the soundtrack is certainly enjoyable.
    One thing that has not changed is the voiceovers. Nearly every main story character (by main story I include persons such as Maester Mica or Maechen) are voiced in nearly every word they say. Other, glancing persons are simply read, but you will not feel like your experience was lessened by the lack of VOs from such persons. 7/10

Gameplay: This is a fantastic RPG. One that breaks the mold on so many levels. For the first time in a Final Fantasy game you can control the summons and progress them like any other character. This is done through unlocks gained in the main storyline, and can be (not-permanently) missed if one doesn't talk to the right people. However, the ability to train your summons anyway you see fit is certainly a step in the right direction for "summon" spells in an RPG. Main character progression is done through incremental stat upgrades on what is called the "sphere grid". Levels are traditionally gained through "AP" (EXP) in combat. These levels are significantly easier to obtain because they do not grant stat increases in and of themselves. Instead, these levels allow you to navigate a "map" of sorts with your character icon unlocking stat increases, spells, and abilities. The standard grid has your characters progressing a certain playstyle until the later half of the game where control is more in your hands. However, the "expert grid" for the international version allows you to train your characters as you see fit.
    This can be a disadvantage when the game expects you to know certain skills/spells for some bosses, but I have hardly ever seen it be a problem. For newcomers, stick to the basics until you are familiar. (This will require a restart or a second playthrough to change later.) The combat system allows you to actively switch out between all your characters (barring storyline separations) and each character is more or less a "class" until you gain progression control. Lastly, the overdrive system, a sort of limit break, is trainable to certain styles. Instead of earning your gauge from taking damage you may set it to dealing damage or healing allies (unlocked as you progress). Plenty of sidequests and specials to complete, especially in the international version. All in all, 10/10 gameplay.

If you're looking for a fantastic RPG look no further. The price is amazing considering it contains 10 and its sequel , but if you bought it just for FFX HD you will NOT be disappointed. Take your time, enjoy the scenery, and may Yevon watch over you.
  34. Apr 8, 2014
    Story-10/10 Graphics-9/10 Fun-9/10 Controls and Ease to learn-10/10 length-10/10 Replay ability-7/10
    Music-8/10 Difficulty-? Overall-10/10
    Music-8/10 Difficulty-? Overall-10/10

This game was great to begin with and the remaster is another great example of how great it actually is. The story is generally the same but with new side quest to keep you busy. The addition of the expert sphere grid is great if you are looking for customization on how exactly your characters progress. The graphics themselves are simply amazing on the ps3 and the upgraded music makes for better more enjoyable gameplay. Many new additions like sphere abilities for each character make it great so you can never run out while training. The addition of Penance as a boss is another great addition that creates a challenge to push yourself farther this time. As a fan I must say the upgrade to blitzball is awesome. That is just 10 the greatest thing is when your purchase this game you also get remaster 10-2 and some side games only released in Japan. Overall for the price and the quality this game is great for any fan of ff to relive this great classic in the series.
  35. Aug 10, 2014
    Final Fantasy X is my favorite game in the series, in terms of story, battle system and character development. The HD version is clearly the version to get, while far from having spectacular graphics, the game has aged well. The improved and much sharper visuals improve the game significantly, because you can see the objects, e.g. chests, spheres, books etc. much better.
    The music, which
    The music, which was already great, has improved, too. Apart from the improved graphics and sound, the remake also supports trophies, which is nice since it is such a long and quite challenging game.
  36. Mar 29, 2014
    Regardless of FFX/X-2 or their International versions, this Remastered version copies the International versions; for what it is intended to do, FFX/X-2 HD Remaster does it flawlessly. So if you loved FFX/X-2, you'll love the HD Remaster - and if you hated it, well may as well give it a rental.
  37. Mar 30, 2014
    Stunning re-issue of the game. Not only the graphics but the soundtrack as well. One of the games that makes you really care for the characters, you find yourself caring or despising them! Sure the mouthing is not synched very well, but it's nothing to take away from how well crafted and thought out this game was.
  38. Apr 1, 2014
    The game reminds me of my teen and childhood memories. Nice remastered version and the game seem to move seemingly through my HDTV.

The only down points are:
    -Emotions on face aren't convincing enough
    -Audio still isn't in sync with characters' mouths
    -Art book needs more pages...
  39. May 24, 2014
    Neither game is nearly as impressive today as it was back at original launch. The remaster does some nice touchups but overall it still looks like a remastered PS2 game, and since the big draw of both these titles when they were new (mainly FFX) was how hard they pushed the tech, the game is left to rely a lot on the gameplay.

Far too many cutscenes, watch more than you play for the

Far too many cutscenes, watch more than you play for the first 20 hours or so. No cutscene skip, which should've been implemented for the Remastered version. Battles get repetitive fast. Needing to have every party member do something each battle to get XP makes grinding become very tedious very quickly. Music remixes are a nice touch but completely unnecessary, some tracks (like Via Purifico) are absolutely butchered in the new renditions, overall this was an unnecessary feature and I really would've appreciated an option for the Original tracks.

FFX-2 is as painful to sit and play as it's always been. Cool battle system, but everything about it is incredibly embarrassing to play, even when alone.

What's really odd is there are frame drops in certain areas, and during spell effects. The game runs at 30fps, but constantly has drops to 20 or lower when big spell effects go off. This wasn't the case with the original titles, this is a matter of upgrading the graphics a *bit* for the remaster, and then failing to optimize properly.

If you've played these games before, or still have the original PS2 versions, I'd recommend waiting for a price drop before picking this up. FFX is still a very solid game overall which is what gets this a score higher than 1, but as a remaster, this package leaves a lot to be desired.
  40. Jun 13, 2014
    I was really looking forward to this and pre-ordered it in anticipation. I remember taking a week vacation when this first came out on the PS2 to enjoy it and beat it during that week. I was really looking forward to a 2nd jaunt through in HD and while it looks gorgeous.it is not without it's issues. For one it runs a little faster on the PS3 making things that require timing/precisionI was really looking forward to this and pre-ordered it in anticipation. I remember taking a week vacation when this first came out on the PS2 to enjoy it and beat it during that week. I was really looking forward to a 2nd jaunt through in HD and while it looks gorgeous.it is not without it's issues. For one it runs a little faster on the PS3 making things that require timing/precision nearly impossible. Particularly the Lightning Plains dodging mini-game. Just to be sure I pulled out my original PS2 version and ran it on my PS2 to make sure it wasn't just me slowing down as I got older. :p It's not me. The time to dodge after the flash is FAR less than on the PS2 version making it impossible for myself and a couple of friends who also tried to get the 200 successive dodges in this new version..There are a few other issues including the odd crash but otherwise is fine and a joy to see in HD. I would give the original a 10 back when it first came out. This I can only give an 8 due to those issues mentioned that should have been resolved before shipping. Expand
  41. Apr 20, 2014
    its a wonderful game with a very nice graphic and the best story of all Final Fantasy games. And the square enix says that they want to publish an HD Remaster for it, I was Flashed. It have an wonderful Story with many surprises and you have at least 70-120 hours to play with side-quests and so on. the next point. I give 10 of 10 points, Its one of the best rpg`s ever
  42. May 6, 2014
    Here is a classic game. When it first released on ps2 I remember being extremely excited to play it, and I was happy to see that it lived up to the series name. Unlike any of the other Final Fantasy games I played I never achieved 100% completion with this one, and I'm happy to say that the HD Remake gave me the chance to correct that. Along with the greatly updated visuals, in particularHere is a classic game. When it first released on ps2 I remember being extremely excited to play it, and I was happy to see that it lived up to the series name. Unlike any of the other Final Fantasy games I played I never achieved 100% completion with this one, and I'm happy to say that the HD Remake gave me the chance to correct that. Along with the greatly updated visuals, in particular the new character models for the player characters, which do look beautiful, all of the new content adds to that already great experience. If you're looking for a game to sink time into, or bang for your buck, this is the game. Expand
  43. Nov 4, 2014
    You must play this game, not only is the story line great and you'll get attached to characters throughout the game. You must watch the cut scenes and movie sequences as you'll learn quite a bit about some of the characters. Some parts of the game are just so beautiful and then some are very sad. It's definitely a very emotional game. At times the game can be very tough so myYou must play this game, not only is the story line great and you'll get attached to characters throughout the game. You must watch the cut scenes and movie sequences as you'll learn quite a bit about some of the characters. Some parts of the game are just so beautiful and then some are very sad. It's definitely a very emotional game. At times the game can be very tough so my recommendation is that instead of just rushing through the game, stay around and battle stuff to get extra AP, this way you can level your characters up more to make the boss battles easier so you don't get frustrated. This is a must play game and one of the best for this system IMO. Expand
  44. Oct 31, 2014
    Square Enix have re-released a masterpiece, here. It's unlikely that you will pay much attention to X-2 here, with X being the stand-out title. Impressively updated visuals and sound enhance the experience, along with the slightly improved interface.
    If you get on your hands and knees and really nitpick, you can find faults. For example, one could argue that not being able to skip cutscenes is a negative, and they can surpass five minutes. Or, the poor lip syncing, although this can partially be forgiven, considering they were PS2 games, and they have only been Remastered, not Remade.

The original X way back on PS2 was my favourite game ever made, and this new bundle has flown beyond all expectation. It brings back memories, and deserves no less than 10/10, 5 stars, 100%.
  45. Nov 10, 2014
    This game is such a classic. I remember my friends and I would play this game in the seventh grade. Brings back some excellent memories. Normally, I don't like it when they remake games on the PS3, primarily because they are copy and paste jobs, but this game actually is improved over its predecessor. The textures are smoother and they even changed the soundtrack a little. I liked itThis game is such a classic. I remember my friends and I would play this game in the seventh grade. Brings back some excellent memories. Normally, I don't like it when they remake games on the PS3, primarily because they are copy and paste jobs, but this game actually is improved over its predecessor. The textures are smoother and they even changed the soundtrack a little. I liked it some areas, however I wish they would have given you an option to hear the original soundtrack. This game, at least for me, is the last final fantasy to be excellent. It's a shame that the series has gone downhill, however this game is good for the price. It's around 20 at gamestop now, so pick it up. Expand
  46. Nov 18, 2014
    I was very exciting coming into this but a little disappointed. I never played FFX until I brought this game and I'm not that into it.

Gameplay - My only problem is that I was stuck in Mushroom Rock Road with barely any items and I kept dying there should be more Shops available in the game to get items and icons for where to find these shops. I dislike the fixed camera and the random encounters I prefer the chase enemy or run into enemy kind of encounters like in FFXIII or Tales of Symphonia. But this is what you should expect from FF Random Encounters and Fixed Camera Points. I also don't understand the Sphere Grid System at all call me stupid or dumb or whatever I just don't understand it.

For people who have played FFX before there's alot of extra's including the chance to fight Dark Aeons and a secret boss called Penance which is an extremely difficult Boss Battle. FFX-2 comes with the Last Mission Edition and some Gameplay Additions you now have the ability to control monsters and you can do other new things.

FFX-2 Gameplay - This game shines in the gameplay department because its faster and much more exciting in my opinion. Too bad the bosses and story aren't as exciting or threatening as they were in FFX. Plus we still have fixed cameras and random encounters but that's to be expected of a 2001 & 2003 Final Fantasy Game.

Graphics - I like the improved HD Graphics and the Main Menu KH1.5 had a similar Main Menu and I liked that one too. A Good Main Menu for an HD Collection always adds more excitement to play the game regardless of how good or bad it is and I always add points for this because some HD Collections have horrible Main Menu's like the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection. Lip Synching sucks in this game.

Story - The story for Final Fantasy X didn't really get me all that much but there are some twists and turns here and there to get you excited and more enticed to find out more. FFX-2's story isn't something amazing or exciting its a happy girls tale and 1 that I don't mind. When I played it for the PS2 I really used to hate it but as I play it now I don't think too badly of it anymore.

Soundtrack - They remastered all the tracks for FFX which may sound good to some people but for me sounds terrible some songs didn't need to be remastered they were good the way they were. Change isn't always good so I drop points for this one. I'm not sure if FFX-2 had remastered tracks it felt the same to me regardless FFX-2's OST isn't really all that. I do like Memories of Lightwaves Mushroom Rock Road and Zanarkand Ruins Songs I can listen to those songs all day the OST isn't bad but not that great either.

Characters - Tidus - The Clueless Idiot. Wakka - The Blitzball Fanatic Lulu - Simple Auron - Badass Yuna - The Chosen One Kimarhi - Silent but Tough Jecht - The Horrible Father

FFX-2 Characters - Yuna - is happy and a little more badass Rikku - The Yuffie Kisaragi of Final Fantasy X-2. Paine - The Emo girl but also the Badass one.

Replay Value - Moderate why? If your a fan nostalgia I'm not a fan so no nostalgia for me this is my 1st experience with FFX. For FFX-2 I have a little nostalgia. There's also alot of extra things to do in this game over 100 hours so yeah you'll be busy. For FFX-2 you'll want to replay the game to try out the different Dress Spheres and for FFX you'll replay the game again for the experience I usually replay games with long stories to get the full story experience because sometimes there's things you missed when you played the 1st time.

Overall - Well in my opinion not your bias opinion its your average FF Game with a unique setting and a somewhat great story. Gameplay is good especially those Limit Breaks and the Dress Spheres adds some originality and fun to battles. Its not worth the $40 I paid for it + you don't get the Art Book and the manual is only 2 pages if you are me you would get mad just really mad. But since your not me you will get this game for $20 which is the price right now which is a better deal.

1. Jul 23, 2014
    There are two reasons to put the HD Remaster on the shelf – it’s an example of how magnificent Final Fantasy once was (X) and the evidence of how low it fell (X-2). [06/2014, p.63]
    The refurbishing team did a great job. Both games look quite fashionable and show their resistance to age. [Issue#241]
  3. May 2, 2014
    Final Fantasy X is a true masterpiece and one of the best JRPGs of all time. FF X-2 is a decent addition to the franchise. Combine these two games in an HD version with a budget price and you get a superb deal.