Final Fantasy XIII-2 PlayStation 3

6.6

1. Nov 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII. Following complaints about the original, Square Enix released an anti-FFXIII. And as such, the game is uninspired and hopelessly tries to do things differently from its predecessor, but not necessarily much better.

In contrast to FFXIII, FFXIII-2 offers you more freedom. Gone are the hallways and the linearity, instead being replaced by open maps and freedom of traversal. There are towns to explore, NPCs to talk to, side-quests to undertake, dialogue choices to make, fast travel. There are even collectibles, and your actions can affect the timeline and change the maps (which can be visited in different years and centuries).

Gameplay is also revised. Now you control a 3-member party consisting of the 2 protagonists (Serah and Noel) and you can add a captured moster to fight by your side. When defeating enemies you will likely catch them (like Pokemon) and recruit them, then you can mix them to produce a better monster. The ATB system returns almost as is from FFXIII.

Do these changes to the FFXIII formula make the sequel better? Not much. The story is about time travel and paradoxes that have to be resolved, Serah's sister Lightning gives her the task to restore the timeline because she has to personally defend the goddess Etro by an attacker named Caius who in turn wants to destroy Time because he loves a priestess named Yeul. Yeah, reasons. The maps are "meh" despite being open, and graphics are somewhat worse than those of FFXIII. Soundtrack is still great, but voice overs are "meh". Again.

All in all, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is just an antithesis to FF XIII and nothing more. You can do more things than before, you have freedom, but it still isn't a great JRPG. There isn't a great story, there are no great characters, the combat system is both good and bad. I somewhat liked my time with the game, more than with its predecessor, but I wasn't fully convinced. I won't bother with Lightning Returns, the 3rd FFXIII game. I just hope FF XV will restore the series' reputation.
  2. Jul 15, 2016
    Travel in time, form team with the monsters, train your team. And more strategy. This game is the best and bring back to live the unsuccessful ff xiii game. this game is great.
  3. Jul 5, 2016
    This is Final Fantasy XIII in all its glory. And way more....

This game is a joy to play. The graphics are simply outstanding. The characters are so well done and the history surrounding each one of them is as interesting as themselves. The gameplay is a lot of fun, easy some times but not that important. The story is brilliant thanks to it being confusing. Yes.... People have
    This is Final Fantasy XIII in all its glory. And way more....

Yes.... People have smashed this trilogy, and I see their point. This game is not perfect. You may see a 10/10 in my review, but it simply can't be perfect, no game is. But you don't need it that way, just enjoy it for what it is. It's an JRPG more focussed on action than anything else.
  4. May 8, 2016
    Final Fantasy XIII has worse story. Same in XIII-2. But this game is enjoyable for me. The combat system can change leader. The monster system was great. Serah have a great personality. She know about if she change the future. She'll die. but she can accept that. This world cannot know how much i love this game. it was very excited for me.
  5. Apr 12, 2016
    the best of the trilogy by far, the soundtrack is amazing, and the action base battle system is very improved in this one, it remind me of chrono series a bit but in current gen
  6. Apr 11, 2016
    FInal Fantasy used to be the pinnacle of 'next generation' videogame during the PS 1 era.....but something along the way was lost...Square Soft seemed to lose their connection with their own customers. I remember back in the PS1 days, Square was the best game developer there is...Every game that they made were gold, even outside FF! Yes, FF 13 part 1 and 2 looks amazing, but it feelsFInal Fantasy used to be the pinnacle of 'next generation' videogame during the PS 1 era.....but something along the way was lost...Square Soft seemed to lose their connection with their own customers. I remember back in the PS1 days, Square was the best game developer there is...Every game that they made were gold, even outside FF! Yes, FF 13 part 1 and 2 looks amazing, but it feels 'awkward'. They're not immersive...You don't get sucked into the worlds as you used to. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2016
    I have every reason to believe that initially Square wanted to make a Chrono Trigger - Pokemon crossover and after the script was written, they decided to put Final Fantasy XIII characters in it. The whole thing is disjointed, infantile, unispired. At my 4th (sic) go at this game over the past few years nothing has changed - it is still the only Final Fantasy to date that I haven't finished.
  8. Mar 15, 2016
    When you think Square-enix couldn't do any worse with their Final Fantasy saga they make this game... FFXIII was very average, probably even bad, but this just surpases any limit.
  9. Dec 16, 2015
    This game was so outrageously terrible I felt the obligation to make an account just to warn unsuspecting gamers. This game is a grindfest, where the only thing you have to do is push X. If you don't want to fight mobs you don't have to, but be prepared for the hyperleveled bosses which are placed in the game to make sure you were grinding enough. If you like pretty cutscenes with no plotThis game was so outrageously terrible I felt the obligation to make an account just to warn unsuspecting gamers. This game is a grindfest, where the only thing you have to do is push X. If you don't want to fight mobs you don't have to, but be prepared for the hyperleveled bosses which are placed in the game to make sure you were grinding enough. If you like pretty cutscenes with no plot substance and pushing X a lot in an active-time turn based system, this is the game for you. Otherwise, stay far away from this pretty turd. Expand
  10. Dec 15, 2015
    CONS - Hardly ever challenging, hideous protagonist, low number of bosses, finally jumping would be amazing if it was not actually useless outside the scripted circles, battle system sucks as much as the previous game, story really not that catching.

PROS - Co-protagonist is a kinda good considering the whole game standards.
  11. Nov 22, 2015
    Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game-Play:The formula is the same with the FF-XIII with some little changes that thankfully made the game-play better but still was a poor effort from Square Enix.The game-play should be change but to traditional turn based or change to and action combat system because i think that Square Enix is not good at trying to mix them. Story:The story is still boring
    Final Fantasy XIII-2

Story:The story is still boring fill with uninteresting characters and plot.But at leas this time they made it shorter than the first game but still long it will take you to finish the games story about 25 to 30 hours.

Graphics:The graphics are a little better than the first game and still impressive.

Notes:The Final Fantasy XIII-2 is an eyecandy just like the Final Fantasy XIII I do not Like the way Square Enix have turn the game.This is a below average game that i recommend to buy at a huge price drop or just rent it if you want to play that much but really thing that there is no reason to spent your time in this game .
  12. Oct 30, 2015
    FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is the sequel to FINAL FANTASY XIII, however this time you'll be controlling different characters. This time you're controlling Lightning's younger sister, Serah and a boy from the future called Noel who is the last person alive in his time which is about 700 years in the future. Serah's trying to find her sister and Noel's trying to save the future.

Pretty simple

Pretty simple right? Well that depends on your opinion of time travel. You'll be traveling to different areas in time to solve paradoxes and complete side quests. A lot of the time you'll find yourself going to the same places but in a different time. By doing this you'll obtain fragments which are used for unlocking the game's secret ending which requires every single one of them. No easy feat.

Now I mentioned that you control Serah and Noel, but you'll also get a third party member. This third party member is simply a monster you've captured, and you can change the monster as much as you want. Golden Chocobo was my favourite. Through DLC you'll unlock characters from FINAL FANTASY XIII who'll take the monster's position. Gameplay is a lot like XIII's, however with a different party system it is slightly different.

Square Enix even threw in paradox endings which occur when you complete something an alternative way. I enjoyed these, however I found the final two quite hard to unlock considering you have to defeat a very powerful boss with one character.

Serah's friend, Mog which is a gift from Lightning also proves useful looking for things and being used as a weapon for Serah. Also fighting alongside Snow is also fun.

Changing your outfit is an option, but I chose not too. Nomura's design's are too good. And if you're worried about the lack of an Easy Mode like in the English version of XIII, don't. Square Enix have included it in the English version this time.

As per usual cutscenes, voice acting and music are great. And the ending is beautiful and sad at the same time.

I also strongly recommend purchasing Sazh and Lightning's DLC episodes to expand upon their stories and unlock the ability to use them as the third party member. There's also plenty of DLC boss battles to fight in the coliseum if you want a challenge.

There's also a ton of replay value and side quests to do.

And if you're one of the people who hated XIII for reasons like it being too linear, Square Enix's 1st Production Department took the feedback and addressed it into this game.

You have to purchase DLC to get the full story, but the DLC is very cheap now and the DLC isn't required to enjoy the game.

Overall, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 is another great game and has a great story with great graphics, music and more. However, I wish they made the secret ending worth all that time.
  13. Aug 5, 2015
    I like Lightning a lot more than Sarah so of course I'm not going to like this game as much. Noel is one of the blandest characters I've seen in a while so I can't really say much about him, and Hope and his assistant are nothing if not annoying. However, Yeul and Caius I thought were amazing. The story behind them is pretty much what drove me to finish them game.
    It's easy to tell
    It's easy to tell that the budget for this game was less than that of XIII as the presentation is less spectacular, but only by a little bit.
    It was nice to be able to explore a lot more in this game and it was an interesting idea to be able to see the same place during different times.
    The most disappointing thing about this game I reckon was the battle system which felt like a step backwards from the first game. I found that I barely needed to use Sentinel as the battles were a lot easier for the most part. The whole monster capture thing was okay but I would have preferred a third character that you could battle with.
  14. May 27, 2015
    I went into this game thinking Lightning would have her own story and Serah would have her own story but oh boy was I wrong. I look at the front of my FFXIII-2 Case and I see Lightning there looking beautiful, sexy & badass but then I play the game and discover that you only use Lightning in the beginning of the game and the rest of game is all about Serah. So why is Lightning in the frontI went into this game thinking Lightning would have her own story and Serah would have her own story but oh boy was I wrong. I look at the front of my FFXIII-2 Case and I see Lightning there looking beautiful, sexy & badass but then I play the game and discover that you only use Lightning in the beginning of the game and the rest of game is all about Serah. So why is Lightning in the front cover of the game? You know what just forget the question lets get on with this review of the 2nd game in the XIII Series.

~ Story ~

A girl by name of Serah Farron wakes up 1 day to a change of clothes, a talking moogle that can change into a bow, monsters attacking her vacation home at Bodhum and a mysterious man named Noel who may or may not be her future boyfriend. Noel tells Serah he knows where her sister is and how to save her so she's like "you do?' and he's like "yeah" and off they go into romance I mean to the Time Portal that will lead them to both past & future from there they eventually meet Hope, Snow, Sazh and our Antagonist Caius who is apparently as strong as Lightning is they also meet the depressed little girl named Yeul.

Overall - Despite the fact that I loved FFXIII's story alot more than this one I still found this one to be somewhat enjoyable.

~ Gameplay ~

Gameplay has improved Paradigm Shifts are faster, the menus still look gorgeous and now you can catch pokemon I mean digimon I mean monsters.

Allies - Guess what the only 2 characters you use in this game is Noel & Serah excluding that one part with Lightning & that on part with Snow. So throughout most of the game your partners are your Pokemon I mean monsters they will fill in for all your favorite characters just pretend that Sazh, Fang, Vanille, Hope, Lightning & Snow are your monsters.

Using Pokeballs[Monster Crystals] - In order to catch Monsters in this game you need to 1st defeat the Monsters and then that Monster will leave behind a Monster Crystal take that Monster Crystal and you will have a new ally or Monster for which you can train and use to defeat the 7 Gym Leaders.

Pokemon[Monsters] Special Attacks - Your Pokemon[I mean monsters] have special powers called Feral Link Abilities. A Feral Link Gauge fills up and once its full your Monster will go insane and unleash a powerful attack you must press the Square Button to use this powerful attack. Some Feral Link Abilities require you to hit a button combo as well, and the effects will be more devastating the faster you complete the combo.

Cinematic Action - This is 1 of the things I love about this game. Basically you watch for button icons and input the right button commands in the correct sequence and you'll get to see some amazing Cinematic Action Scenes sometimes they'll let you chose what attacks you want to do on the enemy which in my opinion is freaking awesome. I wish this was in all Boss Battles but its not.

Temporal Rifts - Yes this game has puzzles most of them are in Oerba and you'll be hearing Mog saying "Try something different Kupo" everytime you fail. Most of the puzzles are easy the last few are always the hard ones so watch out for those.

Mog Throw & Mog Hunt - Some may find Mog annoying girls may find Mog to be cute but I find him to be useful. When Mog is being annoying just throw him toward Treasure Chests and loot all the gold or items inside when Mog is being useless use Mog Hunt to find hidden chests & other hidden goodies. Or if your just pissed off you can just throw Mog for no reason at all they say it helps relieve stress.

Historia Crux - Another thing I love about this game is traveling through time it feels so awesome to go to these different places and time periods and I get excited everytime I go to the Historia Crux to go to a new place or Time Period plus I love the menu design and the music. Square Enix you crafty little devils.

Shops - Brief mention shops aren't in save points anymore now you shop with Chocolina a women with an obsession for Chocobos and the only happy person you'll see in this game. She will brighten your atmosphere because this game is darker than the abyss it'll drag you to.

Bonus Content - There's alot of stuff you can do in this game Missions, Hunting for Fragments, playing games in Serendipity, participating in Chocobo Races and battling in the coliseum[You'll need to purchase DLC for some of the battles here].

~ Sound ~

The OST is absolutely amazing and so is the voice acting.

~ Graphics ~

I expected this game to look identical to XIII but the graphics were downgraded a bit. Regardless the graphics are pretty good.

~ Overall ~

This is an okay game its passable the gameplay has improved but the story has not. And this game is not as linear as FFXIII was you now have more freedom to move around and stuff which I liked about this game. FFXIII-2 was not bad but not my favorite game. I wish there was more places and time periods to explore and also more characters but there's not.
  15. Mar 28, 2015
    This game is much improved from Final Fantasy 13. Everything from the characters, to the bad guy, to the cutscenes, to the changes in gameplay. Its better in every way. And you get to roam and do pretty much what you want, when you want.

It made me excited for Lightning Returns.
  16. Mar 2, 2015
    An awful game, never buy it, steal it if you must. never thought that i would see final fantasy turning into a pokemon game, starring mog as pikatchu. other monsters that you catch just stay in your pocket.
  17. Mar 2, 2015
    When first comparing it to its prequel, there seemed to be some nice little add-ons, BUT after actually playing it, the whole thing was actually even worse experience than harry potter games on playstation 1. Final fantasy XIII-2 is actually a good example of a lousy game director, trying to do his own, too deep thing and ruining the series for good without even realizing it. Man behindWhen first comparing it to its prequel, there seemed to be some nice little add-ons, BUT after actually playing it, the whole thing was actually even worse experience than harry potter games on playstation 1. Final fantasy XIII-2 is actually a good example of a lousy game director, trying to do his own, too deep thing and ruining the series for good without even realizing it. Man behind this game ows all the customers an apology AND a refund. This game seems to have been made in a hurry, missing half of its content. NEVER buy it, instead, go and play final fantasy VI, it has way more stuff to do and offers more challenging gameplay AND is actually interesting. Thank you for reading this. Expand
  18. Jan 14, 2015
    It's better than FF 13 in many ways, but when you are a perfectionist and want to play a game to it's max capabilities, then you're in for some MMO-style farming, taking not hours but many days of mindless, funless mechanic grinding until you just give up and see the recent games of Square Enix for what they really are: soulless cash cows.

This is not Final Fantasy anymore. FF died when

This is not Final Fantasy anymore. FF died when Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft. Took me 13 years to finally accept that.
  19. Jan 4, 2015
    It's a **** game for a second time with some minor alterations. Not really much else to say. Did you think all XIII needed was Pokemon collecting and moogles? If not, skip this and don't look back.
  20. Dec 18, 2014
    this isnt even near classic Final Fantasys.
    If you didnt like FFXIII then dont buy this
    If you like Final Fantasy saga this isnt it
    they made this a linear game so its in class with cod just movies popping in the way of the linear gameplay
  21. Nov 10, 2014
    Hmm, did not like this game. Don't see why people say it's better than FFXIII, since I think the story was better. I can see if you do not like linearity, but then again I am used to playing JRPG's and many of them tend to be linear. Square Enix changed the series to appeal to a western audience, and while that is cool, I did not like it much. The time paradoxes were weird and notHmm, did not like this game. Don't see why people say it's better than FFXIII, since I think the story was better. I can see if you do not like linearity, but then again I am used to playing JRPG's and many of them tend to be linear. Square Enix changed the series to appeal to a western audience, and while that is cool, I did not like it much. The time paradoxes were weird and not interesting. Plus I did not like having Noel randomly throw in there. Game would have made more sense with Snow and Sarah, or just Sarah and another character from the original. I did not like it, but then again a lot of my friends do so try it yourself to be the judge. Expand
  22. Nov 8, 2014
    Unsure as to why people think Final Fantasy isn't great anymore. This game is fantastic, and is easily one of the best games I have played in a while. It fixes so many problems that FF XIII had that I find it hard to go back to XIII. The linear areas are gone, the halted progression is gone, the battle system is much more engaging, and the characters are much more likeable and haveUnsure as to why people think Final Fantasy isn't great anymore. This game is fantastic, and is easily one of the best games I have played in a while. It fixes so many problems that FF XIII had that I find it hard to go back to XIII. The linear areas are gone, the halted progression is gone, the battle system is much more engaging, and the characters are much more likeable and have reasonable motivation. This game also features one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard (Final Fantasy or otherwise). Nitpicking aside, the biggest fault this game has is that its related to FF XIII. I like that its based around new characters, but it really could have shone more if it was a game to itself. You may not enjoy this game if a plot-hole here and there upsets you a lot. With this game you kind of just have to go with it occasionally, because at its heart, it has a great story and good message. Expand
  23. Oct 14, 2014
    An improvement on its predecessor and a welcome change in tone, if XIII felt stripped-out, XIII-2 has everything put back in. It isn't perfect, and has some annoying features (some worlds have random encounter rates that get really annoying, really quickly), and some puzzles were clearly designed by Satan himself (Paradox clock) but my issues with the XIII's battle system have mostly beenAn improvement on its predecessor and a welcome change in tone, if XIII felt stripped-out, XIII-2 has everything put back in. It isn't perfect, and has some annoying features (some worlds have random encounter rates that get really annoying, really quickly), and some puzzles were clearly designed by Satan himself (Paradox clock) but my issues with the XIII's battle system have mostly been addressed - at least, they weren't a problem in-game. I missed the lack of a proper party, but a Moogle that says KUPO all the time, and being able to recruit monsters - including Cactuars and Chocobos - kind of makes up for it, they have more personality than Snow, at any rate. XIII-2 also has its own version of Golden Saucer, which isn't as good, but it's nice to race Chocobos again. If there is one negative thing I would say about the game, it's that after 30-40 hours of effort, an unsatisfying ending was thrown in my face with a big fat TO BE CONTINUED... sign. Can't have everything, I suppose. Expand
  24. Sep 22, 2014
    I think XIII-2 redeemed what was lost in XIII. But fans still want Lightning which this game have different main characters with the monsters that you can infuse that is great. maybe other gamers wanted more characters which SE didn't add. They have open world, if the main character dies, other one would be the main controllable character, Open world is there, Bad ass main antagonist.I think XIII-2 redeemed what was lost in XIII. But fans still want Lightning which this game have different main characters with the monsters that you can infuse that is great. maybe other gamers wanted more characters which SE didn't add. They have open world, if the main character dies, other one would be the main controllable character, Open world is there, Bad ass main antagonist. maybe other fans just wanted more and each FF has its own. i still don't get the hate, and i love the series and characters. Expand
  25. Sep 21, 2014
    If you're a final fantasy fan and enjoy the classic series... STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME! this destroys everything you loved about final fantasy with poor storyline and disgustingly over-bloated drama that make you wonder why you're even playing. Seriously... this is painful to play. played and beat every final fantasy that ever released before this one... I couldnt find it in myself to playIf you're a final fantasy fan and enjoy the classic series... STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME! this destroys everything you loved about final fantasy with poor storyline and disgustingly over-bloated drama that make you wonder why you're even playing. Seriously... this is painful to play. played and beat every final fantasy that ever released before this one... I couldnt find it in myself to play another second of this solid crap. Sorry SE you've lost your touch. Expand
  26. Sep 21, 2014
    An improvement compared to Final Fantasy 13 but still not as good as previous Final Fantasy games. The good things: The graphics are awesome and the soundtrack is fine. They put side quest / side activities in this game (This was a mayor complaint for Final Fantasy 13). You also have some variation at the level up. You can increase some stats more than others and can chose to acquire someAn improvement compared to Final Fantasy 13 but still not as good as previous Final Fantasy games. The good things: The graphics are awesome and the soundtrack is fine. They put side quest / side activities in this game (This was a mayor complaint for Final Fantasy 13). You also have some variation at the level up. You can increase some stats more than others and can chose to acquire some skills earlier. The characters are O.K. Serah and Noel are believable (but made some stupid decisions within the story).
    The bad things: The story still had a decent amount of plot holes and dumb decisions by the main characters. Also it has the least amount of party members for all Final Fantasy games I know. The battle system still lacks direct control. A mayor complaint is the ending. It is so bad that it is only second to Mass Effect 3. I won’t spoil anything here but it makes me feel that I wasted my time. Also you must pay extra money for the real ending (DLC = Downloadable content). This is by far the dumbest thing a publisher can do. Overall this is an O.K game but it will anger many Final Fantasy fans.
  27. Sep 14, 2014
    Easy without a doubt one of my favorite final fantasies. Its very unique in a pokemon-ish way. You gather pets to fight for you and acquire other pets and gain their abilities and give to the ones you have or if you want to use. I had a ton of fun gathering the unique pets and raising the chocobos to race and getting all the prizes. This is definitely a game you need to play for youEasy without a doubt one of my favorite final fantasies. Its very unique in a pokemon-ish way. You gather pets to fight for you and acquire other pets and gain their abilities and give to the ones you have or if you want to use. I had a ton of fun gathering the unique pets and raising the chocobos to race and getting all the prizes. This is definitely a game you need to play for you self instead of reading peoples reviews and form your own conclusions. The game is visually amazing and the story kept me intrigued the whole game! This game can be a quick game if you don't play to get everything possible in the game which I love to do. Pretty much almost all the monsters the game you can have as a pet!! There are very few in the game you cant have so the game never got boring to me!! Expand
  28. May 6, 2014
    I have tried multiple times to get into FF13 and it's sequels, but Square Enix is making it hard as hell. The battles are rushed and you get rewarded for beating it as fast as possible. BORING, Final Fantasy is about strategy and good story telling. Neither of those are present in this game. The characters are overly girly and the story is so nonsensical you have to be stupid to enjoy it.I have tried multiple times to get into FF13 and it's sequels, but Square Enix is making it hard as hell. The battles are rushed and you get rewarded for beating it as fast as possible. BORING, Final Fantasy is about strategy and good story telling. Neither of those are present in this game. The characters are overly girly and the story is so nonsensical you have to be stupid to enjoy it. I feel like I should give it a lower score, honestly. What the hell is Square trying to accomplish by releasing 2 terrible sequels on top of a mediocre FF13. If you like pressing auto battle to victory, and dealing with the cheesiest characters in any game. This is for you Expand
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    I think it's a great game. Genius how SE lets you shape how long the story will be by making things optional for you to do. You also can shoot for multiple endings. Battle are WAYYY too easy. The characters can easily develop too fast. You talk to lots of people plus the soundtrack and graphics are nice in my humble opinion. The story is to and fro from time to time, but I think I stillI think it's a great game. Genius how SE lets you shape how long the story will be by making things optional for you to do. You also can shoot for multiple endings. Battle are WAYYY too easy. The characters can easily develop too fast. You talk to lots of people plus the soundtrack and graphics are nice in my humble opinion. The story is to and fro from time to time, but I think I still rather enjoyed the game. The gameplay was nice if anything else(besides the great music, beautiful graphics.) Points off for the ending, though. Overall, I was entertained. Would be between a 7 and 8 for me. Expand
  30. Mar 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FF 13 ended perfectly without any hole left to fill. So... why is there a sequel?

because squeenix wants more money and lightning was popular, that's why.

Lengthy intro, story is filler upon filler and the ending of the first game was out the window at the start... so... AVOID.
  31. Mar 25, 2014
    Nice game, the only one of the series worthwhile, engaging combat system with many skills, so a new type pokemon monsters to use in battle, engaging story and a charismatic character as Noel.

if you dont like the series to give it a try this, but only this, do not touch the rest xD
  32. Mar 10, 2014
    like to point out on CincyJosh review and this game is not worthy of the FF game number since it is a poorly made game with nice graphics that is just about it with it really, the battle system they made is very laughable almost made me wonder what was going on in the minds over at Square Enix but hey i hope they dont screw up on 15 like they did with this one
  33. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. XIII-2 address the issues of XIII, mainly the linear gameplay, but does that make it a better game? Sadly, no. I still love the fast-paced and more action-oriented battle system, it makes every battle more thrilling. The graphics is a technical marvel for seventh gen consoles. FF is known for it's strong story but sadly, the confusing story almost overshadows every good part of the game. All the time travelling nonsense doesn't even make sense. About halfway into the game, I was completely lost. I didn't know what was going on in the story and because of that, I didn't care about any of the characters. I just rushed through the game so that I can get the game's easy, but long, Platinum (because I did so in the first game) but in the end I didn't care that, and I didn't know how, Serah died. I like this game, but it's only worth a rental as I will never play this game again. For fans, you'll get much more enjoyment. For the uninitiated, give the PS1 and 2 FF a go before FFXIII. It's epic! Expand
  34. Feb 9, 2014
    Very Interesting game. Love the voice acting, battle system, locations but I will say this game will make your head explode with confusion. I recommend playing it. Story isn't confusing but the one minor
    problem I have is the design of the loading screens. I got a bit of motion sickness from it oddly even though I wasn't really moving but it makes the game feel more immersing. It also builds up to one of the IMO great games coming out this year in the form of Lightning Returns. Anyways XIII-2 is one of the more interesting FF games I've played but my favourite part has got to be how the relationship of Serah and Noel builds through the game.

Pros
    -Fun Battle System
    -How the relationship of Serah and Noel forms over the game.
    -DLC costumes (Assassins`s Creed!)
    -Unique Locations
    -Futuristic city part reminds me of a futuristic Watch Dogs
    -Time Travel!

Cons
    -Yet Locations feel bland at times
    -Time Travel Loading Screen can make you feel sick
    -Apart from the two main characters and maybe Sazh, all other characters seem forgettable.
    -Story can feel a big long winded at times.
  35. Feb 1, 2014
    although it tries hard to be even better than it's predecessor, this game just isn't as good. the graphics are once again beautiful, however the story is pretty confusing, and you'll find yourself questioning the logic this game uses at times, and it's all around pretty boring. the same could be said about the two main characters, Serah and Noel, the former who barely has a personality,although it tries hard to be even better than it's predecessor, this game just isn't as good. the graphics are once again beautiful, however the story is pretty confusing, and you'll find yourself questioning the logic this game uses at times, and it's all around pretty boring. the same could be said about the two main characters, Serah and Noel, the former who barely has a personality, and the latter with a personality you probably won't care about. the gameplay is, once again, very good, and paradigm shifts are faster to pull off than in XIII, which is nice. you can capture monsters in battle, as well as several secret ones hidden in the world. despite this, the music isn't great, which is a letdown. the crystarium which is how you upgraded your characters, has gone from a web-like grid, to a linear upgrade system which is a shame. this game is a bit shorter than the previous one, (i finished it around 20 hours earlier than FFXIII), it instead tries to make up for it with multiple endings. i really wanted to like this game, because i loved XIII, but it's just not as good. Expand
  36. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me start by saying that FF13 was pure crap and the worst Final Fantasy game ever made, so no one was more surprised than me by how much fun I had playing 13-2. It is not perfect but a vast improvement over its predecessor & definitely worth getting, especially since used copies currently run about $13 at Gamestop.

Squeenix fixed a lot of what was wrong with FF13, which gives me some

Squeenix fixed a lot of what was wrong with FF13, which gives me some hope for the future of the company. The story, dialogue & main characters are much better, the maps are not brutally linear and actually contain secrets & treasure to hunt down, and there is a ton of optional content.

In 13-2 you play as Serah, the sister of no-personality Lightning from 13, and Noel, a time traveler from 700 years in the future. These two are your two main party members for the entire game and this is actually a good thing. They are better characters the entire rest of the cast from 13 combined and are superbly voice acted, as well.

The plot of 13-2 is essentially FF: Doctor Who, which again isn’t really a bad thing. Noel picks up his companion, Serah, and they go gallivanting through time & space together. Where things get interesting is that your actions change future locations & create parallel realities. You can freely visit any area you’ve unlocked and can also “reset” each one to play through story events in a different way to pick up missed items. The narrative stays remarkably cohesive despite all the jumping around in time. I only regret that no romance develops between Noel & Serah b/c they have much better chemistry than Serah does with her fiancée Snow from FF13, who is a giant tool box.

While the game’s proper ending is, unfortunately, little more than a cliffhanger designed to get you to buy the upcoming FF13-3, there are a bunch of alternate endings you can unlock after beating the game and they are done in a clever way. Instead of creating confusion about which one is the “real” ending, these are all parallel reality endings that generally don’t go so well, showing that the “real” ending is probably the best one.

Mog the moogle makes a return to the series, too. He’s mostly included for comic relief (as well as inexplicably turning into Serah’s weapon during battle) but feels like part of the group thanks to some good writing. He even has an invaluable and funny use during field exploration where you throw him around to find treasure amidst protesting squeals of “Kupo!” A bit on the cutesy side, but any FF series veteran will appreciate his inclusion.

The third member to round out your battle party is a monster of your choice, which you can capture and train up with special materials that can be bought or won from battle. Think of this as FF: Pokemon. Not a terribly original idea, but one that Squeenix executes very well. Almost every monster in the game is capable of being captured, which is incredibly cool, and the growth system is quite deep.

There is even a Gold Saucer-esque area where you can gamble and race chocobos. The system is not as in-depth as the breeding found in FF7, but you can race chocobos you tame in the wild and they will perform better if you level them up the right way. I found the racing to get repetitive, but luckily you don’t have to do it that long to get the best rewards from it.

There are also a ton of “fragments” to be collected through defeating special bosses, completing quests or simply finding them like treasure in certain areas. Collecting them serves a variety of purposes such as powering up a set of weapons and unlocking special skills.

The battle system is still one of the game’s negatives, however. It’s built on FF13’s combat engine, which is not a good thing. It’s admittedly better and sports a few improvements but you still feel like more of a spectator than anything else b/c the game feels like it’s playing itself.

The music is another sticking point. It is terrible almost all the way through; even worse than the music in FF13, which is saying a lot. It swings between wildly inappropriate and teeth-grindingly annoying.

To end on a high note, the graphics in 13-2 are even more stunning than those in 13. This is a beautiful game. So much so that there are only two FMV scenes and you’ll hardly notice. Everything else is rendered in-game. I bought a couple of the DLC outfits and was blown away by them. They aren’t merely palate swaps on the same skins but totally new & different outfits. I routinely forgot they were wearing the DLC clothes since they are seamlessly integrated into the in-game cutscenes, so it’s a shame that all the new weapons you get during the game are only palate swaps.

There are even some extra DLC packages and a battle coliseum to play around with, but this review has gone on long enough. Bottom line is that if you hated FF13 like I did but you like Final Fantasy, you will enjoy 13-2. Pick up a used copy and you won’t regret it. Here’s hoping they don’t break the series again when 13-3 is released!
  37. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ehh...I am a pretty big final fantasy franchise lover. More from the FF Tactics FF10 Series. FF12 was pretty good as well. FF13..not so much a fan of, but i won't talk too much smack due to the fact that I never finished the game. Now I did finish FF13-2 a couple days ago. FIRST AND FOREMOST...what is the deal with the "to be continued crapp"... at the end of the game....Secondly... I can't explain it but 13 and 13-2 didn't have that certain "flare" that the early FF games had. I think they need to look at what they did for the earlier games and work off of that..maybe even possibly turn it into a no voice acting, dialog game again, idk, something...anything to get that spark back in the industry...Still overall FF13 2 was not "that bad" of a game.. Expand
  38. Nov 27, 2013
    XIII-2 fixes all the inconveniences of XIII, SE listened to the fans and delivered, the stiry continues and it's fresher and it dares to do something different, it's an amazing game that purists of the series won't like, because it still carries on many of the elements from XIII, but that's exaclty what makes it special, it's still an innovation on the franchise.
  39. Nov 26, 2013
    Improvements were made in FF-XIII-2 compared to it's predecessor.

Improvements: - Not as linear story and arguable better overall - New monster-pet mechanic - Cut-scene prompts/choices - Increased difficulty - Larger areas/worlds The same: - Beautiful CG, character models, and world. - The Soundtrack still good - The combat mechanics still terrible (The dreaded "Auto-battle")
    Improvements were made in FF-XIII-2 compared to it's predecessor.

Improvements:
    - Not as linear story and arguable better overall
    - New monster-pet mechanic
    - Cut-scene prompts/choices
    - Increased difficulty
    - Larger areas/worlds

The same:
    - Beautiful CG, character models, and world.
    - The Soundtrack still good
    - The combat mechanics still terrible (The dreaded "Auto-battle")
    - Game items are still lackluster. e.g. weapons (just a change in color...seriously?)

Regressions:
    - Frame-rate drops (especially noticeable during cut-scene prompts)
  40. Nov 4, 2013
    Although this game is a step in the right direction, FFXIII-2 pales in comparison to the older entries of the series. The graphics in this game are absolutely stunning, environments and character models have wonderful attention to detail. Recruiting monsters to fight alongside you is a very addicting game-play feature, though battles often have you constantly pressing the X button with noAlthough this game is a step in the right direction, FFXIII-2 pales in comparison to the older entries of the series. The graphics in this game are absolutely stunning, environments and character models have wonderful attention to detail. Recruiting monsters to fight alongside you is a very addicting game-play feature, though battles often have you constantly pressing the X button with no real need to do anything different, only occasionally switching team formations when a character is hurt. The soundtrack was hit-and-miss, some tracks really immersed you into the game while others were bland and forgettable. The story was the biggest let down in my opinion, one thing that always attracts me to FF games is the amazing character development, as well as meeting a variety of unique supporting characters along the way; FFXIII-2 however, revolves the story around a very sparse and uninteresting cast. Many occurrences throughout the storyline are simply explained with bland outcomes such as "This monster appeared because of a paradox". I also felt the fact you had to pay to fight the games toughest bosses and to retrieve the best weapons was very unappealing considering these things were already included in every other previous Final Fantasy game. Overall this game is definitely an improvement on FFXIII and can prove to be quite addictive, but it will always leave you wishing it gave you that little bit more. Expand
  41. Nov 1, 2013
    It's the second worse FF games, losing only to the X-2.
    Noah and Caius are the only thing who save the game.
    Serah sux a lot, she's one of the worse characters of all time.
  42. Oct 23, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII-2, the story of Serah and Noel.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, the story of Serah and Noel.

Firstly, whilst I was a fan of the first game and found it to be beautiful & atmospheric, I admit there were some design restrictions holding it back from reaching it's masterpiece potential. Fortunately, Square Enix loves their fans and have poured their heart into creating a fresh new story whilst still keeping a touch of the first chapter's magic for nostalgia's sake.

Yes at first the new story seems a bit vanilla, but it ramps up to a gritty, dark conclusion and the game itself is crammed full of new features, such as a techno drenched soundtrack, time travel, recruitable monsters, bigger maps, and even alternate endings.

I wasn't too sure about a couple of the tweaks at first, such as only two human party members being available, but when classic mascots such as (SPOILER) Odin and Tonberry become party members, all will be forgiven.

Some fans of the older entries in the franchise (Which I am too) might still find this a bit of a departure. But I welcome the new Final Fantasy with open arms. Well done Square Enix.
  43. Oct 18, 2013
    Honestly why do alot of people hate this game? I understand that Final Fantasy 13 took a new gameplay mechanic, and was also linear, and I can agree the linear change but they fixed that in this game. but that means it's not a bad game. For those that hate the game for this change of combat are those that can't let go of the past, and really should just realize that this is a very funHonestly why do alot of people hate this game? I understand that Final Fantasy 13 took a new gameplay mechanic, and was also linear, and I can agree the linear change but they fixed that in this game. but that means it's not a bad game. For those that hate the game for this change of combat are those that can't let go of the past, and really should just realize that this is a very fun game. There are parts in the game where you will need to come up with a good strategic way to take down some enemies and if anything it's not bad. Plus the soundtrack of the game is awesome along with a good story. So for those that don't know if they should pick up this game, I recommend this game to you. Don't listen to others bashing on this game, play the game for yourself and find out you like it or not. Because I sure did! Expand
  44. Sep 22, 2013
    A better version of Final Fantasy XIII. The gameplay is not linear anymore (you can travel to every location you have already opened anytime), a lot of stuff to do, a lot of stuff to collect, side-quests. Improved battle-system. The story is decent and somehow twisted, all the thing is about time travelling and "butterfly effects".
  45. Aug 26, 2013
    I'm really kind of conflicted about XIII-2. I came into the game thinking all the flaws of XIII were to be fixed, and the game certainly didn't disappoint in that regard. I was shocked to find problems of a whole different caliber take their place. One aspect of the game I disliked in particular was that the Cerberus-X paradigm essentially beat 99% of random encounters for you. BecauseI'm really kind of conflicted about XIII-2. I came into the game thinking all the flaws of XIII were to be fixed, and the game certainly didn't disappoint in that regard. I was shocked to find problems of a whole different caliber take their place. One aspect of the game I disliked in particular was that the Cerberus-X paradigm essentially beat 99% of random encounters for you. Because Square enix made the game more open, there are a lot more random encounters in the game, making a more streamlined combat system that doesn't focus as much on staggering necessary. But this makes most of the encounters just a flashy X button mashing fest. It also hurt that the story seemed to lose focus as the game wore on, becoming convoluted and confusing, sans a few touching moments.

Why do I still give the game an 8 then? Well, the game still has its share of assets, the most prominent being presentation. The worlds of XIII-2 and absolutely astounding, especially now that they are completely open for exploration. The music in the game is also one of the best soundtracks in the series, with an unusual amount of interesting vocal arrangements for key tracks. Serah, Noel, and the rest of the cast are strong, and help mitigate the confusing story. The game's open structure can definitely attract those not as concerned with advancing the story, although completing sidequests will make the game even easier than it already is. '

Ultimately, it's still a strong game, but with its fair share of flaws. Should you give it a shot? Yes, I think you should. Just realize that it's a very different sort of game than its predecessor, and whether that's for the better is up to you.
  46. Aug 24, 2013
    Pros:Caius,Tragedy,sad scenes,Noel,Places,Musics (Caius battle theme the best),Snow..
    Cons:Pokemon game,A little time with snow!?,Alyssa, adult Hope,new coccoon looks ugly.

Its a Pokemon game,I hate adult Hope its a f**king genius he is the perfect man in fabula novula crystallis world, kid hope was better not to mention the cloth, kid hope cloth was perfect! Story is ruined and the great fantastic FF13 ending was ruined with this too...
    FF13-2 ending was aghhhh great!? its would be a great thing if enemy (Caius) wins in FF title not only good (Lightning) sides. but Its would be better if this game release as FF15 with different heores,world and with Caius antagonist..Square Enix should stop this idiot sequels...
  47. Jul 24, 2013
    If the next FF installment strips content in favor of selling it as DLC, I'll be finished with the series. DLC should be offered in two forms: Non-gameplay altering (ie: costumes, skins, music, etc), and expansion packs. Individual characters, weapons, items, missions, etc should never be sold as DLC. It's pathetic Square-Enix swooped so low as to sell battles as microtransaction DLCs.
  48. Jul 18, 2013
    I was so disappointed with FFXIII that I almost didn't get this one. But it was surprisingly good. Felt like SE has begun to return to what made the FF series great. It's a step in the right direction. Combat system is much better (and that was good in the original). Story is immersive and characters are likable. The pet system is extremely good. Best thing is that it isn't linear.
  49. Jun 1, 2013
    At first thought the idea of time travelling really sprung Chrono Trigger in mind. Unfortunately unlike Chrono Trigger the player doesn't notice any differences in the worlds when certain actions are performed. The story is a spider web of confusion and it isn't until reading all the fragment entries when you actual understand the concept of "changing the future changes the past." TheAt first thought the idea of time travelling really sprung Chrono Trigger in mind. Unfortunately unlike Chrono Trigger the player doesn't notice any differences in the worlds when certain actions are performed. The story is a spider web of confusion and it isn't until reading all the fragment entries when you actual understand the concept of "changing the future changes the past." The story lacked real depth however introduces a new antagonist which for the first time in Final Fantasy history is not looking to destroy the world for some unknown reason. The battle system builds from XIII where the use of roles, weapons and accessories plays a significant part in ensuring a successful victory against the toughest foes. Unfortunately your skills are not exactly tested until downloading the Battle Arena Downloadable Content. This time around there are a significant number of side quests including Chocobo Racing. Don't get your hopes up, there isn't much input to be made in the lack luster mini-game. The soundtrack uses the good tracks from XIII along with some new ones that has an acquired taste. You'll find yourself for the most part farming Feral Crystals with 3% capture rates which makes it rather tedious until you complete the game and unlock Fragment Skills to increase those chances. Experienced RPGers will not find this game challenging including the Downloadable Content against the two toughest enemies in the game. The game is some what enjoyable but nowhere near the quality that has been shown by Square in the past. Mediocre but some what enjoyable. Expand
  50. Apr 27, 2013
    I hate this game. It's the last FF title I will buy unless they change the battle system. I got sick of all the bouncing around times. The battle system sucked. You could put it on auto battle and breeze through the game, even on bosses. Very few times did I actually have to take control of my characters in battle. I dream of a day when there are no more of these horrible actionI hate this game. It's the last FF title I will buy unless they change the battle system. I got sick of all the bouncing around times. The battle system sucked. You could put it on auto battle and breeze through the game, even on bosses. Very few times did I actually have to take control of my characters in battle. I dream of a day when there are no more of these horrible action rpg's and we go back to the wonderful, fun and awesome days of turn based rpg's. I fear it will remain a dream though. The story was just like..."who cares?". There was no attachment to these empty characters. Not like with Tidus and Yuna, or Zidane or even Cecil. I gave it a 2 becasue Noel could wear Ezio's outfit as DLC. Expand
  51. Apr 9, 2013
    If you want a good rpg with a great story and a new twist on the time travel "story paradox" than try this game. The combat is fast and is not like some people say play itself. Maybe on small mobs to make grinding later easier (if you want Platinum)but on bosses every move need to be thought trough and can lead to a very fast death if just mashing auto battle.
    Also this game has no DLC
    Also this game has no DLC ending like some uninformed people try to make out. The DLC is 100% optional and has nothing to do with the story itself. They are Arena fights and battles which range from easy to PAINFULLY hard like Snow's DLC and Lightnings which will make you play for a long time even after the game is finished with its 7-8 Paradox endings and one true ending.

Give it a chance it is a really good game and please forget the nostalgia glasses when you play it. It is not FF6-2 it is FFXIII-2 it has grown up and evolved so do the players.
  52. Mar 31, 2013
    I think this game is an improvement on ff 13. I liked the monsters and levelling them up, there was more elements of exploration and Serah and Noel are simply adorable together. Again a very pretty game, I love the hair blowing in the wind and the movements of the characters. The story had potential but the endings sucked big time, Im not a fan of miserable endings.
    I also hated the
    I also hated the ridiculously difficult clock puzzles, what normal person can figure them out? Luckily google saved the day. I hated with a passion the last few end areas especially the Acadamia platforms, playing on normal the monsters there were really challenging as if the whole moving platforms and crap wasnt bad enough. Just a huge time waster if you ask me.
    So for the terrible and pointless endings and awfullly frustrating puzzles and end game boss fights (that went on and on forever) and also those awful grindy battles, man this game is all about the grind! I have to score this game about a 6. Still better than ff13 tho.
  53. Mar 16, 2013
    I will admit that I'm part of the reason the Final Fantasy series sucks. I keep buying them even knowing they're going down hill, so I admit fault there.

As this is running the same engine as XII, you'll find the same boring auto-combat system in place as you did in its predecessor. Thankfully, the characters are slightly less annoying, though there are very few of them. You will essentially only have 2 playable characters throughout the entire game. That, combined with the auto-combat and very few item or weapon upgrades, may make those who like to hunt for items in game feel very left out in the cold. It also means a complete lack of variety for most of the game.

The story isn't abjectly terrible, as you'll find some interesting interactions as you jump to different times and places. Sadly, the story is punctuated with a fairly crap ending.

Overall, the game has some slightly fun exploration to do, an amazing metal rendition of the chocobo theme, but it doesn't take you the places you want a game to.

Square has openly admitted the series hasn't been what they wanted of it lately, so we can only hold out hope they do something amazing with the next generation.
  54. Feb 21, 2013
    Great Improvement over XIII! There are so much more side quest and things to do. It starts of slow but once it hooks you it doesn't let go. I thought that the monster hunting would be bad but it was pretty good and all caped of with a great story. DO PLAY IF YOU ARE A FF FAN!
  55. Feb 13, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a great game and a huge improvement for those who wanted a similar old school like Final Fantasy experience but were disappointed with the first game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 uses everything that was great in the first game and improves at almost all aspects for a few and brings back many of the most loved aspects of the previous games such as town exploration andFinal Fantasy XIII-2 is a great game and a huge improvement for those who wanted a similar old school like Final Fantasy experience but were disappointed with the first game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 uses everything that was great in the first game and improves at almost all aspects for a few and brings back many of the most loved aspects of the previous games such as town exploration and non-linearity. You will surely enjoy the graphics, design, music and gameplay of the game. Even if you did not enjoy the first game that much this game however will change your opinion on the series as a whole. Expand
  56. Jan 31, 2013
    It's a really great game, must try. It is a surprisingly different story, but the gameplay is amazing and the story is great. The characters are better than the original and the villian is one of the best and least cliche I've ever seen
  57. Jan 29, 2013
    I enjoyed FF XIII, despite its issues. FF XIII-2 is also an enjoyable game, but I don't think it surpasses its predecessor. I thought Noel was a good character and I enjoyed the mystery of what happened to Lightning. The graphics were colourful and stunning. I also really liked the idea of having tameable monsters in your party. I had some issues with the game however. I was disappointedI enjoyed FF XIII, despite its issues. FF XIII-2 is also an enjoyable game, but I don't think it surpasses its predecessor. I thought Noel was a good character and I enjoyed the mystery of what happened to Lightning. The graphics were colourful and stunning. I also really liked the idea of having tameable monsters in your party. I had some issues with the game however. I was disappointed that there were only two playable characters throughout the game. The biggest disappointment was that there were hardly any exciting or challenging battles in the game - moving forward was heavily related to running around to find fragments while jumping through timelines and solving annoying, repetitive puzzles. Many of the missions are tedious - they require no skill, just time consuming wandering and searching. It's difficult and frustrating to get through the game without a guide. The music was lacklustre (and sometimes downright bad - a nu-metal Chocobo theme? really??). The time travel idea is cool, but honestly, I think it was done as well or better back when "Chrono Trigger" came out.

That being said, I enjoyed a lot of the game, and exploring the different worlds that are rendered so beautifully. I still enjoy the paradigm shifts in battle. Have fun with it for what it is, but don't expect it to kick XIII's butt.
  58. Jan 22, 2013
    This game it´s better in the gameplay section than the original final fantasy xiii, the storytelling it´s a bit slow but it´s enjoyable. What´make´s this game so annoying it´s that you only have two main character´s in your party completely forgetting the leading role of the memorable characters from the previous installment, and a story that isThis game it´s better in the gameplay section than the original final fantasy xiii, the storytelling it´s a bit slow but it´s enjoyable. What´make´s this game so annoying it´s that you only have two main character´s in your party completely forgetting the leading role of the memorable characters from the previous installment, and a story that is cut at the end to reach the climax, leaving unfinished plot in the worst way possible,. however I recommend the game to fans from Final Fantasy, it wont disappoint. Expand
  59. Jan 4, 2013
    This game may not be the best in the series, but it is still a great game. The story was interesting and immersive, and the game offers many new concepts, and the high amount of quests and activities will keep you going for over 30 hours.
  60. Nov 27, 2012
    Ah Final Fantasy! Easily my favourite game series of all time. Now, I'm not one of the rabid fan boys who has to wipe drool from my mouth whenever Sephiroth's name is mentioned, but I can say I'm a pretty stout defender of the series. I'd go on record to say the Final Fantasy XIII is a very good game. However, after Hironobu Sakaguchi left SquareEnix and the Final Fantasy series, it'sAh Final Fantasy! Easily my favourite game series of all time. Now, I'm not one of the rabid fan boys who has to wipe drool from my mouth whenever Sephiroth's name is mentioned, but I can say I'm a pretty stout defender of the series. I'd go on record to say the Final Fantasy XIII is a very good game. However, after Hironobu Sakaguchi left SquareEnix and the Final Fantasy series, it's hard to deny that the series has lost some of it's magic. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is an admiriable sequel to FFXIII, but there are a lot of issues that nagged at me as I played through the game. Graphically, the game is decent, but am I crazy for thinking the graphics were better in XIII? The music is sorta meh. It's not bad, it's just not particularily mememorable. The biggest problem I have is with the characters. I never grew attatched to Sarah or Noel. Honestly, I hated Sarah until about 3 quarters through the game. Her constant whining and insistence that she needs Lightning or Snow to protect her (after she fights waves of enemies big and small) grates on my nerves. I like Moogles, but I wanted to turn the moogle in this game into a stuffed animal for my daughter. Lastly, the story is serviceable, but not what I've come to expect from a Final Fantasy game. The gameplay has been tweaked to the games benefit. I've seen people complaining that there is only two characters, but the addition of trained monsters opens up a ton of variety as far as party dynamics go. The leveling system is also a massive improvement on the lame system from XIII. The open ended mission structure alleviates a lot of the issues most people had with the linearity of the first game. Overall, FFXIII-2 is a servicable game, but a game that is showing the age of my favourite franchise. Hoping for more from Lightning Returns and the inevitable FFXV. Expand
  61. Nov 20, 2012
    While FF7 and FFX continue to be the best ones I've ever played this game is the closest they've been to reaching that great pinnacle they once had. The story is pretty amazing, The graphics are just simply stunning, the music is pure emotion in the form of sound organized in time, and the level of time that it takes to complete this game leaves me fulfilled. The only downfall is the DLCWhile FF7 and FFX continue to be the best ones I've ever played this game is the closest they've been to reaching that great pinnacle they once had. The story is pretty amazing, The graphics are just simply stunning, the music is pure emotion in the form of sound organized in time, and the level of time that it takes to complete this game leaves me fulfilled. The only downfall is the DLC for storyline attachments but the overall quality of this game allows me to look past that and find myself thoroughly entertained. I've beaten it already and I still keep it to show my friends what a true game should be! Expand
  62. Nov 4, 2012
    Sad, just sad... What happened with the old final fantasy style, why can't you make a new final fantasy in classic style? Why squaresoft keep making this crap. What the hell has happened with square? Why can't you produce a single final fantasy to ps3 in old style? Why? It doesn't need to have the best graphics of all, just the classic gameplay we all love! oh my god! WHATS WRONG WITH YOUSad, just sad... What happened with the old final fantasy style, why can't you make a new final fantasy in classic style? Why squaresoft keep making this crap. What the hell has happened with square? Why can't you produce a single final fantasy to ps3 in old style? Why? It doesn't need to have the best graphics of all, just the classic gameplay we all love! oh my god! WHATS WRONG WITH YOU SQUARE??!! I HOPE YOU GO BANKRUPT, SO THEN SOMEONE MAY BUY YOU AND DO BETTER! Expand
  63. Oct 30, 2012
    This entry tried to build onto the last game while fixing the larger issues fans had with the first. They provided npcs to there credit however the store while many say its fixed is not and heres why. Last game randomly placed save cubes sold you items. Now a randomly placed annoying girl sells you items. Its just a save cube with a chacter model on it that doesnt let you save. So its aThis entry tried to build onto the last game while fixing the larger issues fans had with the first. They provided npcs to there credit however the store while many say its fixed is not and heres why. Last game randomly placed save cubes sold you items. Now a randomly placed annoying girl sells you items. Its just a save cube with a chacter model on it that doesnt let you save. So its a halfass fix but something. Combat remains overly simple but now for the big thing. The world There is no world technically. Just randomized boxed in locations. Imagin a mw3 map that you had to walk around find an item and teleport to another random map. Thats the entire layout of this game. They designed completely random areas without exits and just bounce you from one to the otherafter finding an item.

Now for characters. The new guys pretty cool but serrah and her mog bow are not. The train a monster idea is nice but its only hiding the fact that this game seriously lacks a character roster. So in all honesty this game and its lack of story that has nothing to do with 13 mixed with the sensless area to area without any true feeling of travle (like walking from a desert area to a beach area to a slightly wooded area as seen in other games) this ff barely constitutes as a game at all. Any random thing can happen and just be called a time paradox. I really hated the feeling of traveling from 1 shoebox to the next though. That really bugged me.
  64. Oct 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FF13-2 is strictly better than his predecessor. They added town, side quests and a less linear story.
    However, combat are still as boring as FF13 (the addition of monsters in the team is great but the fact that you are forced to use both main characters kills the customization options) and the ending is.... well..... they are making another FF13 game so it says it all...
  65. Oct 11, 2012
    this game is sweet i loved every moment of it dont beleive the idiots saying it sux they r just nerdy **** who dont know wtf they r talking about so if u liked ffxiii then ffxiii 2 is for and if didnt like ffxiii then fk off and dont play this game go play the old **** in ur mothers basement
  66. Oct 3, 2012
    FF13-2 is just so-so game with decent graphic, Square-enix put too much effort on graphic design. It rather pay more in story, gameplay, First of all, the story is too complicated i can't fully underrstand. Gameplay is disappointed, you can controlled only 1 out of2 main characters plus a monster, and choose tactic to fight against enemy. And mostly my style of playing is change tactic andFF13-2 is just so-so game with decent graphic, Square-enix put too much effort on graphic design. It rather pay more in story, gameplay, First of all, the story is too complicated i can't fully underrstand. Gameplay is disappointed, you can controlled only 1 out of2 main characters plus a monster, and choose tactic to fight against enemy. And mostly my style of playing is change tactic and then press O O O, again and again. It is no fun, and why don't change it to ARPG while only 1 character you can control. Square-enix is leadership of JRPG, need to bring evolution to rpg gaming. Not just Graphic design, yes i agree that CG is very impressive, so as FF14, but pay more attention to gameplay, and may be online features
    think about you can play with friends through the FF story.
  67. Sep 8, 2012
    Improves the gameplay of the previous one, but the story is a little worse. The new character Noel is a nice addition to the cast, and the same can be said about Caius and Yeul. The art direction changed a bit, and is a lot more anime-ish and colorful. The OST is very good, too.

Anyway, the game shines in it's gameplay. There's more freedom now, for those who didn't like the linearity of the original title.

It's a great experience overall, even without Lightning.
  68. Sep 7, 2012
    This game is pants. This game is paaants. There's no thought process in battling, the story is pointless and basically filler, there's no feeling of "find the best gear" or anything similar, the enemies are unimaginative and too similar to each other, and the sidequests are nearly always incredibly boring fetch quests and NEVER give any kind of reward - even the secret ending for gettingThis game is pants. This game is paaants. There's no thought process in battling, the story is pointless and basically filler, there's no feeling of "find the best gear" or anything similar, the enemies are unimaginative and too similar to each other, and the sidequests are nearly always incredibly boring fetch quests and NEVER give any kind of reward - even the secret ending for getting all fragments is half a minute long and adds literally nothing to the story. Seriously, can you even imagine a Final Fantasy game where there's no point at all on doing sidequests? Expand
  69. Aug 30, 2012
    Decent game but not a some big "no no" for me; 1) The music is not even decent 2) The jumping time system does not make it for me, basically not good enough. 3) Seeing it is the latest console FF game it is barely there in quality (graphics are very good though) when it comes to the game design. I get bored, and I really love the FF series.
  70. Aug 27, 2012
    Many people are blinded by the phenomenon about criticizing something via other's criticism. They fail to see the beauty of a game they DIDN'T even played. See, this is one of the best game in today's gaming industry. Who the hell didn't move on from the past games? I wasn't joking. People always don't move on and get nostalgic on their FAVORITE ff game. When another game is introduced,Many people are blinded by the phenomenon about criticizing something via other's criticism. They fail to see the beauty of a game they DIDN'T even played. See, this is one of the best game in today's gaming industry. Who the hell didn't move on from the past games? I wasn't joking. People always don't move on and get nostalgic on their FAVORITE ff game. When another game is introduced, they insult it as if it's a person. Now, a sequel coming. Truly this is the best FF ever made. The game itself evolved around the stupid and low expectations from XIII itself. Because of XIII, XIII-2 didn't make a shine thus is still being criticized. I am a former FF game since I. I didn't complain, because every one of them has their pros and cons. Expand
  71. Aug 24, 2012
    FFXIII was great game. I enjoyed it a lot although it was a bit linear for the most part but the story and battle system were fantastic. FFXIII-2 improves on it's predecessor in almost every way. There is no linearity in site which was the main problem people had with XIII. The game introduces cinematic actions in battle, they are simply quick time events that help you do greater damage toFFXIII was great game. I enjoyed it a lot although it was a bit linear for the most part but the story and battle system were fantastic. FFXIII-2 improves on it's predecessor in almost every way. There is no linearity in site which was the main problem people had with XIII. The game introduces cinematic actions in battle, they are simply quick time events that help you do greater damage to your enemies, it's a nice touch but not necessary. The combat is the same as XIII but it's better. You can now switch to which party member you want to control in battle however you only have two. The third party member space is reserved for your monster or monsters which you can obtain through battles or throughout the world. Monster collecting and upgrading those monsters are fun and addicting. Conversation choices appear throughout the game and it's a good addition. The story lasts about 25-35 hours depending on how you play but there are also side quests to complete and a casino to visit. I like the story but it's not as good as XIII's. Also there is no closure at the end of the story which I have mixed feelings about. Overall FFXIII-2 is a fantastic game and I recommend it to true Final Fantasy and JRPG fans. Expand
  72. Aug 19, 2012
    Square Enix tried to get into the roots, I get it, but if they tried that, they did a horrible job.
    Seriously.
    Auto-battling problems are bad enough, but Quicktime events? Seriously? This JRPG has gone to WRPG. Take the Decent FF XIII and just throw it in the garbage and pull another FF X-2. Cinematic actions downright killed the JRPG theme. Instead, making it into more of an WRPG
    Seriously.
    Auto-battling problems are bad enough, but Quicktime events? Seriously?
    This JRPG has gone to WRPG.

Cinematic actions downright killed the JRPG theme. Instead, making it into more of an WRPG again, where all you had to do was one button to do everything you wanted. Seriously.
    Add that with Live Trigger and Time Travel, and you got yourself a story that has gone to hell. And coming from me, I'd say that's exactly what FF XIII deserves. Put back Ivalice Alliance back, please, I cannot stand this horrible example of a JRPG.
    "They're trying something new"
    You want to know something that is absolutely great and has a innovation? Not this game.
    Look at Ys VII, they scrapped the bad parts and decided to say "Heck, why not? Let's make more characters playable!" Look how much praise in Japan it got. Does it get the same respect in USA? Nope. Why? Players don't want to think in USA, they just want to pop in, kill stuff, and win the game in one button that gives a cinematic graphic-whore killing spree filled with blood.
    And Ys VII's story? They scrapped the previous one and made a new one that has mentioning of the past games. Fresh start. FF XIII-2 does it wrong by completely just defying the original games reality.

Square Enix, if you want money, just make Versus, and even if you do, I might still be disheartened.
  73. Aug 16, 2012
    I'm 12 hours in and still staring at the background scenery,everything about his game is visually and dynamically stunning, I love the strategic combat system, and animal taming..
    This is a vast improvement on it's predecessor..
    I can see myself platinum-ing this title and enjoying the experience.. Picked it up brand new for $30 (AUS), and Played nothing else since (I bought 6 games
    This is a vast improvement on it's predecessor..
    I can see myself platinum-ing this title and enjoying the experience..
    Picked it up brand new for $30 (AUS), and Played nothing else since (I bought 6 games this month)..
  74. Aug 8, 2012
    Look I KNOW this is not your typical FF game but that doesn't mean it is bad or that it abandoned its roots and all that BS, ALL the bad reviews for this game be it users or critics center around just one point: that it is not your typical FF game and by that most of the people mean FF 7 and FF 10, I am a gamer for more than 15 years and you know what: this game is AWESOME and then someLook I KNOW this is not your typical FF game but that doesn't mean it is bad or that it abandoned its roots and all that BS, ALL the bad reviews for this game be it users or critics center around just one point: that it is not your typical FF game and by that most of the people mean FF 7 and FF 10, I am a gamer for more than 15 years and you know what: this game is AWESOME and then some and the only thing that will bug you a bit is the weird ending (sad) but it has a sequel.
    I am a guy who respects other people's opinions but with all due respect to the negative review guys; if gaming did not develop past its "roots" then you will be bored and your negative reviews will be about how repetitive the game is.
    TO SUMMARISE: this is a great game with great graphics, story, gameplay and above all else deep and engaging characters that you are going to love if you can see past auron, tidus, yuna, cloud and tifa.
  75. Aug 7, 2012
    Very different to FF XIII, instead of being an exclusively story centered game, this one is a player centered game allowing you to roam around, solve puzzles, play minigames and pick monsters as your battle allies. The story is centered around two new and very well developed characters, Noel and the antagonist Caius in addition to Serah whereas Lighting only makes some brief appearances.Very different to FF XIII, instead of being an exclusively story centered game, this one is a player centered game allowing you to roam around, solve puzzles, play minigames and pick monsters as your battle allies. The story is centered around two new and very well developed characters, Noel and the antagonist Caius in addition to Serah whereas Lighting only makes some brief appearances. While the world is a lot smaller than that of XIII it still manages to give about a max of 70 hours of gameplay. The 2 points it loses are because of the low challenge, the graphics not improving and the occasional poorly written dialogue. Expand
  76. Aug 3, 2012
    This game exceeds is predecessor in every way. The battle system is largely the same but it did not need much changing in the first place. Combat has also been brought to life through cinematic action sequences, much like reaction commands from Kingdom Hearts. Every trace of linearity is practically gone and the soundtrack is even an upgrade. The story does not quite have as much focus asThis game exceeds is predecessor in every way. The battle system is largely the same but it did not need much changing in the first place. Combat has also been brought to life through cinematic action sequences, much like reaction commands from Kingdom Hearts. Every trace of linearity is practically gone and the soundtrack is even an upgrade. The story does not quite have as much focus as Final Fantasy XIII, but it is a heart-felt tale nonetheless. Even for those who might not see the narrative as incredibly interesting, they will find the villain Caius note-worthy. The game has plenty of post story content for the player to immerse him/herself in so they can squeeze every last bit out of this game. I would recomend this game to any of my friends Expand
  77. Jul 23, 2012
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 is yet another installment of the Final Fantasy series that does not live up to its predecessors. Square Enix ought to discard this project and start on a clean slate. Being a large fan of the Final Fantasy series, I am once again disappointed in FFXIII-2's shortcomings.
  78. Jul 20, 2012
    XIII is just a very good game, XIII-2 is an awesome game. Nice graphics and songs as ever, but with the addition of a amazing story and a more opened gameplay. I'm not giving a 10 score just because of the DLCs required to understand the plot.
  79. Jul 12, 2012
    Though it may be an improvement over the original it is still not up to the quality the series is known for. Final Fantasy XIII-2 does fix some of the issues XIII had but I do feel that they have not been fixed in a proper or satisfactory manner. One of the biggest issues is the style of the game, unfortunately XIII-2 abandons the series japanese roots instead it has a western feel for aThough it may be an improvement over the original it is still not up to the quality the series is known for. Final Fantasy XIII-2 does fix some of the issues XIII had but I do feel that they have not been fixed in a proper or satisfactory manner. One of the biggest issues is the style of the game, unfortunately XIII-2 abandons the series japanese roots instead it has a western feel for a Final Fantasy game this is very unacceptable for the franchise (Final Fantasy is a japanese franchise for a reason) the Live Triggers, Cinematic Actions, and Time Travel feel like gimmicks instead of addressed issues I do feel that Square didn't have to westernize XIII-2 (or the franchise itself) to fix the issues XIII had. Even though the structure of the game is better than the original but it has been handled poorly the towns and the fields feel very artificial and they also feel rushed, the Historia Crux feels like a glorified "level select" Square should have made open worlds (having an open world is a huge element of non-linearity and this what XIII-2 should have had). The story is one of the game's worst aspects, the overall narrative is both muddy and incoherent and the writing is just plain bad and can be a bit grating. A host of other problems keep the game from living up to expectations. Expand
  80. Jun 18, 2012
    I cannot understand why this game was not significantly more popular than it was. It is in fact my favourite entry in the series. Now I don't want my review to be elitist or offensive, so i will merely outline what I loved about it, and not why you should. The music was fantastic. a brilliant mix of classic FF and new style, the story, particulary the relationship between Caius andI cannot understand why this game was not significantly more popular than it was. It is in fact my favourite entry in the series. Now I don't want my review to be elitist or offensive, so i will merely outline what I loved about it, and not why you should. The music was fantastic. a brilliant mix of classic FF and new style, the story, particulary the relationship between Caius and Noel, and just Caius in general, was great. (A highlight being a memorable interplay between the two in the endgame). The combat, for me, was a great change from the slower turn based mechanics in previous titles in 13, and it stayed that way for 13-2. Yeah, so the dlc thing is sort of annoying, but I always judge value by using a Dollar to hour ratio, and the poker in Sazh's dlc kept me going for hours and hours.
    I can honestly say there is nothing I do not love about this game.
  81. Jun 15, 2012
    This is just a copy paste game that adds nothing to the previous game.
    An annoying female protagonist, a boring story that makes no sense whatsoever, a lame antagonist, a terrible battle system wherein you just have to hit autobattle with a team of 3 Commandos, a confusing gameplay. How this game improved the faults of its predecessor is beyond me.
    Final Fantasy is dead.
  82. Jun 14, 2012
    I was sceptic about this game at the beginning, but it's a good one. I like the idea of time travel and the separation of the game in old-style "level" and the story is nice. The gameplay is the same of FF13 but with only 2 character and a bunch of monsters to party with. Unfortunatly some secret objective are really hard to find and you probably need a guide to reach the 100% completationI was sceptic about this game at the beginning, but it's a good one. I like the idea of time travel and the separation of the game in old-style "level" and the story is nice. The gameplay is the same of FF13 but with only 2 character and a bunch of monsters to party with. Unfortunatly some secret objective are really hard to find and you probably need a guide to reach the 100% completation of this game. Expand
  83. May 26, 2012
    I would give FFXIII-2 a 5 solely on the graphics and and the ability to "tame" monsters and have them as members of your group. The game is sleek-looking, yet lacking real substance. The storyline is flimsy and uninvolving as the previous installment of FFXIII. If you are looking for a good JRPG with somewhat of the same elements, check out Persona 4 or any of the other Shin MegatenI would give FFXIII-2 a 5 solely on the graphics and and the ability to "tame" monsters and have them as members of your group. The game is sleek-looking, yet lacking real substance. The storyline is flimsy and uninvolving as the previous installment of FFXIII. If you are looking for a good JRPG with somewhat of the same elements, check out Persona 4 or any of the other Shin Megaten Franchise games. The Shin-Ten franchise seems to improve on its gameplay and story elements while the FF franchise is dying a slow and painful death. I feel that this franchise, the Final Fantasy name as a whole, needs an entire rebooting from the top down. Get better writers in please, keep the team that is graphically designing the game because it is beautiful to behold. The music is sub-par screamo emo music that does not seem to fit the action of the game. I would have had it during certain bossfights, yes, but when I am walking on a quiet beach I would have pulled out ambient chill of the previous game. The introduction of certain elements such as chocobos seemed as thrown in and uninvolving. As a questing game, why would you not make it an interesting subplot concerning chocobos? I am not saying to make it a 3 hour drudge like FFXI, but would have rather not just casually thrown in there as "ok, here is your chocobos you asked for!" This game is forgettable at best. If you absolutely have no other game to occupy your time or a diehard fan of the genre and franchise as I am, rent it. I am going to own it one day though, from a clearance rack most likely for $5-$10, which will sit in my collection and gather dust as the past 3 installments of the series. Expand
  84. May 15, 2012
    Compared to its predecessor, FF13-2 is not as linear and flat. Actually, it's got some ambition, including levels and worlds not belonging to the main quest with side missions and mini games. The plot is darker which is welcomed because it weighs up the horrible corny characters. Also, the battle system is a little more diverse with the possibility to recruit monsters as a third partyCompared to its predecessor, FF13-2 is not as linear and flat. Actually, it's got some ambition, including levels and worlds not belonging to the main quest with side missions and mini games. The plot is darker which is welcomed because it weighs up the horrible corny characters. Also, the battle system is a little more diverse with the possibility to recruit monsters as a third party member. Although most revisions make this sequel better than the first game, FF13 is rotten at its core and can't be fixed. The characters are still flat, the environments still empty out all graphic surprises during the first gaming hour, the story line is still boring and worlds are still not as open as they used to be. This game is not a challenge, but merely time-consuming. What's challenging in this game is, for example, boring mini games which just takes time (like the clock anomaly) and difficult monsters (which you beat after hitting x through a bunch of battles to level up). As with the previous game, it makes a fabulous contrast to the superior quality of whatever FF game comes next. Expand
  85. May 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a sad day when you realize your favorite game developer/publisher has totally sold out (it probably happened long ago.. but just now realizing). Just finished FF XIII-2 and it just feels like an attempt to make money. The Coliseum claims that you'll be able to fight the strongest monsters when the time is right. I'm reminded of the awesome monster area from FF X only to realize that that it's DLC only. There's an Outfit menu that's presented the entire game only to find it's DLC only. There's the section of the Serendipity that says it's under construction, i.e. DLC. The ending gives no closure, implies everything you've done has failed, and says "To be continued..." Why does it say to be continued? From the director of the game, "the world of FF XIII-2 is going to extend via DLC."

FF XIII-2 does some things right, but it has a bitter aftertaste that I can't get rid of.
  86. May 15, 2012
    Get ready to sit back and watch your characters fight for days at a time in Final Fantasy Xiii-2: Player Characters Excluded! Watch as the Crystal Engine literally takes control over battle, keeping you almost 100% out of the game. And when starting-level monsters have over 1 million HP, you can expect every boss battle to feel like the final battle. Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues itsGet ready to sit back and watch your characters fight for days at a time in Final Fantasy Xiii-2: Player Characters Excluded! Watch as the Crystal Engine literally takes control over battle, keeping you almost 100% out of the game. And when starting-level monsters have over 1 million HP, you can expect every boss battle to feel like the final battle. Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues its predecessor's terrible dialogue, uninterested voice actors (were they trying to get fired), and absolutely boring gameplay â Expand
  87. May 11, 2012
    Better than XIII in most ways. I like the fact you can explore a lot more, but it has to be done through a cenrtal HUB, which really takes away the feeling of exploration and adventure. The story is lacking, but Caius is a great villian. Combat is pretty much the same as in XIII, but the monster collecting is fun.
    The soundtrack is... different from the rest in the series, but I liked it.
  88. May 3, 2012
    There is a need to make some things clear. 1. There will not be a FF7 remake and 2. Every Final Fantasy entry shines in its own right. Whatâ
  89. May 2, 2012
    Every person that has played Final Fantasy XIII will have some questions about its story, given that XIII was best at throwing a bunch of information (Fal'Cie,L'Cie,Cieth, etc) at you without really giving an explanation. So, with a sequel that includes time travel, they had all the opportunities to explain the story of XIII in detail. For example, let us fight along Fang and Vanille whenEvery person that has played Final Fantasy XIII will have some questions about its story, given that XIII was best at throwing a bunch of information (Fal'Cie,L'Cie,Cieth, etc) at you without really giving an explanation. So, with a sequel that includes time travel, they had all the opportunities to explain the story of XIII in detail. For example, let us fight along Fang and Vanille when they first attacked Pulse, give us details about Barthandelus and how he developed his plans. Background story about the other villains in the game, about the Purge, about why Cocoon was created in the first place (After all, they completely failed to explain what is bad so bad about Gran Pulse) and how the Fal'cie became so powerful. Instead, they chose to come up with another unappealing and shallow story about a seeress that dies everytime **** happens and another godess more powerful than the Fal'Cie. The time traveling in this game is absolutely meaningless. Collecting little flowers and guide books to take them to another time instead of changing the future and past. I know that this theme is difficult to pull off, but they did a terrible job. Since jumping between different eras is that meaningless in this game, they would have done better to give us a world map and a damn airplane for some FF-feeling. The whole story was build only for one purpose: so they could include Lightning. Which I respect, as she was the best thing about XIII. but the way they achieved this ridiculous. Some parts about the mechanics are quite nice, but what they promised us as "freedom" means needless complexity of even the tiniest bits. The Casino is no fun at all, the slot machine is a joke (most people hooked the controller up with duct tape to get the slot achievement/trophy) chocobo racing is no fun at all. All you have to do is build a perfect chocobo from a guide, let him win all the races and say bye-bye to fun. Fighting is still as good as it was in XIII and graphics are beautiful, but this game is pushing Final Fantasy as we know and love it even further away. Expand
  90. Apr 22, 2012
    Paradoxes... past is future... future is confusing... . yeuls are dead ..... something with oracle drive... wtf is going on... SE can have my $60 for free but please end this pain and stop with unfathomable stories, linear gameplay, cheesy sound tracks, x-button smash fights, no real development of weapons or accessories . Instead of wasting time on making abundance of useless weapons andParadoxes... past is future... future is confusing... . yeuls are dead ..... something with oracle drive... wtf is going on... SE can have my $60 for free but please end this pain and stop with unfathomable stories, linear gameplay, cheesy sound tracks, x-button smash fights, no real development of weapons or accessories . Instead of wasting time on making abundance of useless weapons and accessories (which 95% of them the players will never use) why doesn't SE focus on all of the above issues. To all the players out there be warned, you will be in a real paradox upon finishing the game... so please don't end up wasting 50 hours of your precious time... So unsatisfying... might have to play suikoden II, all over again just feel what a real RPG should be... Expand
  91. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game ends with the words "To Be Continued". They seriously wants us to pay for an ending?! Just for that alone I would say avoid this game. I spent 30 hours getting through the story hoping for it to be resolved in someway. Whether it's a happy or sad ending I'm prepared to accept it. But no ending? Seriously?! ENDING SPOILER AHEAD

So Serah dies, I was ok with that. Yeul has said that Serah's existence is a paradox, so I kinda expected her to die. But now it seems all her (the player's) work is in vain. Cocoon still gets destroyed, and the chaos of Valhalla is unleashed into the world. Then what's the point of the story? Why didn't Etro get her heart back from Caius? Anyways. This game was a huge letdown, avoid!
  92. Apr 3, 2012
    Even though I am lost in the story throughout the time I played it, I liked it more than XIII. Say what you will but it is hard to give a FF game a bad score since the graphics far surpass most titles out there. I wish it was not a '-2' title, it is good if not better than its predesessor. I like the changes made and the game was worth playing just to see the story through to the end.
  93. Apr 3, 2012
    Many people hated Final Fantasy XIII, mostly because it was too linear, and there wasn't much to do outside the main story. No town, no NPC to talk to, pretty much nothing at all. I didn't hate that game, but I didn't like it too much either. The game looked really great, the battle system was dynamic and pretty fun, and the story was ok, but I gotta say I didn't feel like playing aroundMany people hated Final Fantasy XIII, mostly because it was too linear, and there wasn't much to do outside the main story. No town, no NPC to talk to, pretty much nothing at all. I didn't hate that game, but I didn't like it too much either. The game looked really great, the battle system was dynamic and pretty fun, and the story was ok, but I gotta say I didn't feel like playing around much after finishing the game.

Now, SquareEnix released a direct sequel to FFXIII. They wanted to fix the problems that players reported about the first episode, and I guess they did. You now have NPCs to talk to, quests to complete and dozens of things to do. The new game isn't as linear, mostly thanks to the "Time Travel" feature which offers interesting possibilities. The scenario revolves around that system too, requiring you to go back and forth in time in order to solve paradoxes and ultimately save the future, although some things in the story didn't really make sense to me.

They kept the same battle system, hardly changing anything, except the fact that you may now recruit monsters after defeating them. Those monsters take the place of the 3rd party member and can evolve on their own Crystarium if you give them the right items. Apart from that, the battle system is pretty similar, with the same Active Time Battle gauge, the same jobs (roles - Commando, Ravager, etc), the same strategies (Paradigm Shift), etc. Why change a winning team, anyway? The battles were pretty fun in the first game, and here too.

The graphics also look as good as before, there's not much to say about them. The environments are however a bit limited : You will be visiting the same zones in different time periods, but ultimately they're the same zones. I also found that the soundtrack wasn't great. The music in some areas (with lyrics) kinda reminded me of NieR, but they were not nearly as good (NieR's soundtrack is exceptionally good though). I gotta say that the "Crazy Chocobo" song is really funny and surprising.

I'll conclude by saying that this second Final Fantasy XIII is a much better game than its predecessor. It's a pretty fun and interesting game. However, the "To Be Continued..." ending somehow feels like a "rip-off" (I hate DLCs), as Square Enix sold us an obviously unfinished game.
  94. Apr 2, 2012
    Good game and good continuation of his predecessor. It repairs in the defects of the previous one but without being a perfect game. It neglects some elements.
  95. Mar 26, 2012
    This is not an FINAL FANTASY game of the good ones, it appears any more DLC to beast that does not shine in excess. To your defense if I recognize your beautiful graphs and entertaining advance, but your problem is that it is not what your name sells. The essence of this saga is the story and your main characters, and in FFXIII-2 the argument is very weak and short. The trips in the timeThis is not an FINAL FANTASY game of the good ones, it appears any more DLC to beast that does not shine in excess. To your defense if I recognize your beautiful graphs and entertaining advance, but your problem is that it is not what your name sells. The essence of this saga is the story and your main characters, and in FFXIII-2 the argument is very weak and short. The trips in the time it has been definitively a wrong idea. I hate Mogu, casino, trips in the time, the ending, Chocolina, to look for the whole stage for almost invisible appliances, celebrities, Academia and the sonorous sung band. Expand
  96. Mar 23, 2012
    By fixing some of the flaws people cried about in Final Fantasy XIII, SquareEnix have shown that they're simply not very good at making games. Gone are the linear environments, replaced with open zones and the ability to jump between them. Gone is the lack of NPC interaction, with the various zones now populated with talkative figures. Gone is the dry extra content, now you have series ofBy fixing some of the flaws people cried about in Final Fantasy XIII, SquareEnix have shown that they're simply not very good at making games. Gone are the linear environments, replaced with open zones and the ability to jump between them. Gone is the lack of NPC interaction, with the various zones now populated with talkative figures. Gone is the dry extra content, now you have series of sidequests and collectibles to collect. And yet, it does all this wrong. Let's start with the graphics: they're great. So great, they barely run on the PS3. There is a lot of slowdown, and you'll spend a lot of time watching loading screens. Loading time goes beyond annoying; you'll often not want to use the ability to jump between the somewhat small zones as it means sitting through another load screen. Between those and the extensive cutscenes, I didn't seem to spend much time playing. When I was playing, it wasn't necessarily interesting. The battle system from XIII returns, AI and all, yet it seemed even easier this time. You have two fixed party members joined by a customizable monster companion, but just like the weapon leveling of XIII, monsters are not as interesting as you want them to be. Encounters are handled interestingly; rather than randomly being thrown into battle, you'll randomly be surrounded and have the option of attacking them first or trying to run. Think this means you could just bypass the easy enemies? Nope, it seems the more worthless the enemy the harder it is to simply not bother with. Difficulty is rather uneven thanks to the non-linear progression. Even without the non-linear progression, the story doesn't make much sense. They attempt to tug at your emotions, and might actually do so from time to time, but looking back at the events of the game I find it hard to care about any of the characters or any of the events. I quite liked XIII's story and characters up until the final few chapters, but I can't think of anything positive here. And I hope you loved Lightning, because this game seems to be written with the assumption that the player worships her as much as the creators and in-game characters do. So, after all that complaining, any good points? Well, the game does look pretty when it's not suffering from slowdown, and there is at least a little extra content here to enjoy. However, even after the game ends with a serious cliffhanger, I really don't care to go back to the FFXIII franchise to learn what happens next. Expand
  97. Mar 21, 2012
    This game is great. I you loved XIII, you'll love this game even more. XIII was a masterpiece that had a few flaws here and there. The second addition to the XIII universe remedy this problem greatly. Although the main story is pretty short and leaves you unsatisfied, you can fill the emptiness with dozen of DLC content that has been coming out for the game, which adds to theThis game is great. I you loved XIII, you'll love this game even more. XIII was a masterpiece that had a few flaws here and there. The second addition to the XIII universe remedy this problem greatly. Although the main story is pretty short and leaves you unsatisfied, you can fill the emptiness with dozen of DLC content that has been coming out for the game, which adds to the experience and fun of this stylish game. Expand
  98. Mar 19, 2012
    Let me begin by admitting I am a big fan of all Final Fantasy games. That being said, I would have given this a 10 were it not for Square Enix giving in to the inevitable - DLC. Now, I will say that I do not mind some DLC - the weapons and extra battles are just fine - but from what I understand they will be adding actual game content as well (they already have, actually, with the "Sazh:Let me begin by admitting I am a big fan of all Final Fantasy games. That being said, I would have given this a 10 were it not for Square Enix giving in to the inevitable - DLC. Now, I will say that I do not mind some DLC - the weapons and extra battles are just fine - but from what I understand they will be adding actual game content as well (they already have, actually, with the "Sazh: Heads or Tails?" pack). That does not sit well with me. If I am buying the game on launch day for $60, you had better give me 100% of the game. Don't shark me another $10 or $20 for actual content that should have been there in the first place.

Since that is out of the way, I would like to praise what this game does very well - everything else. The graphics are gorgeous, that battle system is very well done, and the recruiting and monster-building that you are tasked with to flesh out a well rounded party is a really cool feature. Serendipity is fine to kill some time and have fun with your Chocobos (although that damn slot machine is rigged, in my opinion) - and there are plenty of high-level enemies for you to track down and face off with once you have beaten the main story line.

I will recommend to everyone reading this: Buy the guide!!! There are so many well hidden items and side quests that you would probably never find them without some sort of guide to help you through. Some may scoff at the idea, but I have found that buying the guide to go with the game has become part of the experience for me.
  99. Mar 14, 2012
    Boring!

Ridiculous story and not captivating at all. Combat is no different from FF13 i.e. boring too. Missed the linear story of FF 13. In contrast, FF 13-2 is just made up of a bunch of episodes loosely connected together by travelling through the different eras using time-travelling gates. I wasted 40 hours of my precious time, not to mention money spent. Graphically and
    Boring!

I wasted 40 hours of my precious time, not to mention money spent.

Graphically and artistically, FF 13-2 puts GOTY titles like the Mass Effect series to shame. The character models are just beautiful. The scenary is stunning. Too bad, the story is plain garbage.

Hmmm ... I'm still drooling over the independently flowing strands of hair from Serah and Noel. Not to mention Lightning's naturally flowing feathered-skirt. Can't imagine such beautifully rendered graphics on a last-gen console like the PS3. Bet if this title makes it to the PC, we'll really get life-like characters.

OBTW, I missed the CGI cutscenes from FF13. The rendered cutscenes in FF13-2 just can't compare.

Overall, FF series has reached a new low.
  100. Mar 13, 2012
    As a (potentially rare) fan of FFXIII, I found myself wound up in the hype for this game. I was aware of all of the potential shortcomings, including reduced team members, a monster recruit system (which sometimes is hit and miss in RPG's), and the potential for a time travelling story to be a complete mess (it's a difficulty topic to approach). Before I launch in, I'd like to say that IAs a (potentially rare) fan of FFXIII, I found myself wound up in the hype for this game. I was aware of all of the potential shortcomings, including reduced team members, a monster recruit system (which sometimes is hit and miss in RPG's), and the potential for a time travelling story to be a complete mess (it's a difficulty topic to approach). Before I launch in, I'd like to say that I sank about 50 hours into this game and got the platinum trophy, so I think I saw most of what it had to offer (except DLC). To be fair, I think the game has some pretty crisp graphics (very similar to FFXIII) and some pretty cool moments in the mid game. I also think Caius is a pretty interesting antagonist, which I've seen echoed in many reviews. However, I think some of the aspects of the game got too simplified. In terms of battles, I found that I only had to be strategic with some of the after game bosses. In the main game, I got interested in trying to complete sidequests and found that I overlevelled VERY quickly, making the rest of the game a breeze. Normally I would say this is my fault, but one of the promises this time was a less linear game, so I think my interest in exploring is justified. The side quests themselves were fairly uninvolved as well. I expected a great deal of time hopping, but only in later quests does this seem to apply. The chrystarium is also redesigned, and I feel for the worse. I do appreciate the strategy of having certain crystals 'worth' more than others, but I found that they severely limited the abilities of the two characters where you would be foolish not to use them in those roles. As such, it seems to just be a matter of "how can I boost this characters best stat" rather than "how can I make an effective character". The monster taming system adds a bit more variety to the battle roles, and while I have seen some people complain about it, I actually did like this system. It also played a lot on resource management since you weren't sure (unless you faq) how good a monster will be, even at high levels. Combine all of the above with the auto-fight option, and you have a very streamlined battle system that might be a bit easy for veterans of the series. Finally, I felt the story was very underwhelming. As I said above, there are some pretty cool set pieces in the mid game, but there are also parts that had me scratching my head. For example (without spoilers), in one time period you thwart a mob of monsters and then in a later time period (same location) your characters feel sorry for them, help them, and then have to beat them down once more. There were a few events in the story that made me feel that the characters were acting inconsistent. I'm also not a fan of how some characters were shoe-horned into the story, with explanation to be provided in DLC. You can make assumptions based on information in the game, but that information is obtained by achieving fragments, which many people may not have the patience to acquire all of them. I'm fine with supplemental DLC, but not to explain portions of the story. In the end, I give it a 6 because despite having an inconsistent story and simple battles, I found myself oddly enjoying many parts of the game. I just think it wasn't a sum greater than it's parts in this case. Expand

1. May 4, 2012
    All in all, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2 – it was a fun RPG game to play, looked spectacular and ate up a significant amount of my free time. It didn't give me everything I wanted out of the experience, but I still had fun.
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    FFXIII-2 earns its score with aplomb, and I'd go so far to call it a sleeper hit. It's a genuinely great-playing game with an imperfect story, though to its credit, it eventually engages and justifies the wait. Its greatest battle now is escaping from the shadow and stigma of its big brother, but you should ignore the anti-hype, take a leap of faith and give it a chance.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 4, 2012
    Has made some really solid steps forward in combat but needs a more readily digestible plot to entice newcomers. [March 2012, p68]