Final Fantasy XIII-2 PlayStation 3

6.6

1. Feb 7, 2012
    Fantastic entry to the Final Fantasy series.
    Gameplay = Combat retains it's faced paced action from the original and adding a few extra tweaks to make it interesting. The new puzzles may be a little brick in the road, but at least it takes the ease away.
    Environment = Beautiful once again throughout the game, less linearity, more opportunities to explore and amazing art designs. Replay
    Fantastic entry to the Final Fantasy series.

Replay Value = Tons of replay value for those interested in seeing there favourite characters back in action once again or even fighting against one of the more interesting villains, Caius.
    Voice work = The cast is amazing and does an excellent job to keep things entertaining. Liam O'brien does a great job as Caius.

Overall this game deserves a little more credit, those that are"True" fans of Final Fantasy will love this, no doubt. Those new to the series are even welcome to it a whirl and it may even "capture" the old fans once again.

9.5/10
  2. Feb 1, 2012
    This game improves on virtually every single aspect from it's predecessor. How it's getting lower reviews, I can't figure out but if you read almost every outlets review you will realize this game is good, not just good, but much better than FFXIII. In fact, I believe this game is how FFXIII should have been in the first place.
  3. Feb 9, 2012
    This game is as open as any RPG fan could've hoped for it to be. With plenty of backtracking options, epic tasks, enemies, and weapons to go and hunt down, it does everything I look for in a game of this kind, right. You'd really be doing yourself a disservice if you own either console this game is on, and don't give it a shot. It's beautiful, its gameplay is remarkably satisfying, it'sThis game is as open as any RPG fan could've hoped for it to be. With plenty of backtracking options, epic tasks, enemies, and weapons to go and hunt down, it does everything I look for in a game of this kind, right. You'd really be doing yourself a disservice if you own either console this game is on, and don't give it a shot. It's beautiful, its gameplay is remarkably satisfying, it's accessible to those who don't care to put forth as much effortâ Expand
  4. Feb 9, 2012
    Great game. Don't listen to people that are hating the game only because of the name. The game gives you several options and brings back several elements from the classic FF games. Most fun I have had with FF since X.
  5. Feb 4, 2012
    The new FF is simply great ! Ok,the story is stretched and functional satisfying but the game also improved in many ways.
  6. Jan 31, 2012
    Yep.. It's the real deal this time around! ~Game is VERY good and "feels" like a final fantasy game through and through. ~Combat is extremely fluid, fast, and fun! ~Collecting the enemies you fight to aid subsequent encounters is nothing short of epic! ~Within the first hour of the game your riding Chocobos for crying out lout! Awesome. ~By only having 2 main characters the story this timeYep.. It's the real deal this time around! ~Game is VERY good and "feels" like a final fantasy game through and through. ~Combat is extremely fluid, fast, and fun! ~Collecting the enemies you fight to aid subsequent encounters is nothing short of epic! ~Within the first hour of the game your riding Chocobos for crying out lout! Awesome. ~By only having 2 main characters the story this time around is ALOT more focused albeit a little less dire but still an overall good story that I'm very much enjoying! ~ Time travel mechanic is done in a very accessible way and fun to do instead of being a huge pain in the kiester. Did you like FFX?? BUT THIS GAME! Did you like FF13?? BUY THIS GAME! Did you like FF9?? BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  7. Feb 1, 2012
    awesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesome
  8. Mar 11, 2012
    I'm giving this a 10? Why? Because it works. The story was good, the characters were enjoyable and the gameplay was fun. It wasn't perfect and you can tell that this game was rushed, being a sequel and all, but still for a Final Fantasy sequel, it works. Highly enjoyable and highly recommended. Although I do feel cheated about having to buy DLCs just so I could see the complete ending.
  9. Jan 31, 2012
    What can I say about this wonderfull game? better than the original in almost every single way...better than the original in almost every single way, I wanna XIII-3 now!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Feb 6, 2012
    It's better than FFXIII that's a huge plus and it adds more variety of game like Chocobo Racing, Solving Puzzles, there's much more fun in this game than in previous one, so if your'e a fan of Final Fantasy you sure will love it.
  11. Feb 4, 2012
    I love this game. With the beautifully flowing graphics to the iridescent cut scenes that seem magical. The story line is involved as much as it should be for such a game. The music is more varied than its predecessor and amusing in some instances (Chocobo riding is suitably silly). I am happy with the characters and can see that the developers were mindful of creatures such as MoogleI love this game. With the beautifully flowing graphics to the iridescent cut scenes that seem magical. The story line is involved as much as it should be for such a game. The music is more varied than its predecessor and amusing in some instances (Chocobo riding is suitably silly). I am happy with the characters and can see that the developers were mindful of creatures such as Moogle becoming overwhelming. I enjoy the new battle style that employs Monsters and the Live and Cinematic action is a real treat. For the haters that give this game a zero, I question why they purchased it (if at all). If you didn't like FF13 then why play FF13-2? Your negative comments are not helpful in the slightest. Your opinions are trite to the point of being amusing. Please feel free to not buy any more installments of this game. At least we won't have to sift through your boorish reviews with zeros attached. I, however, will continue to support this franchise till the end of time.... around 700AF. Expand
  12. Feb 6, 2012
    No matter you like it or not.You still can't miss it.This game worth to spend time playing.surely ,you could enjoy the view ,the music,the drama ,the new battle system.However the system is not smooth enough.but it still a classical game.
  13. Feb 3, 2012
    Complex game with a simplistic aproach... Downright fun, reminds me of a blend of ffx ff9 and ff7 which aöso happens to be my favorite games of all time, i liked ffxiii but i LOVE this game, it's FUN and you can go where your mood is whether it's casino or side-quests or chocobo training or main story and so forth...
  14. Jan 31, 2012
    Without a doubt this is worthy of a main FF game number. If it had different characters they could have named it FF 15. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, play it, and judge for yourself. I loved XIII very much, however many griped about the linear story line...well part 2 is far from linear. I am glad that SE listened to their fans and made adjustments. Enjoy it and happy playing.
  15. Feb 4, 2012
    This game might not be a masterpiece for some people, but it will never be a game that get a zero. I admit, the music in this game is less amazing compare to the original and it is obvious the budget of the making this game is much lower compare to the original, but the game is still great. I enjoy this game very much and i actually enjoy this much more than the original. It's worth yourThis game might not be a masterpiece for some people, but it will never be a game that get a zero. I admit, the music in this game is less amazing compare to the original and it is obvious the budget of the making this game is much lower compare to the original, but the game is still great. I enjoy this game very much and i actually enjoy this much more than the original. It's worth your money, definitely. Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2012
    Wow, this game is truly incredible. After reading so many contrasting things it was hard to know what to expect but all I can say is that this game just has that "FF charm" to it. From the rich battle mechanics (just flip off auto-battle, folks. they DO give you that option), to the underrated emotional subtlety (granted, you won't find it until near the end, but its there) this title isWow, this game is truly incredible. After reading so many contrasting things it was hard to know what to expect but all I can say is that this game just has that "FF charm" to it. From the rich battle mechanics (just flip off auto-battle, folks. they DO give you that option), to the underrated emotional subtlety (granted, you won't find it until near the end, but its there) this title is finally a step back in the right direction for square. If you're unsure about this title just do yourself a favor and make up your OWN mind instead of letting all the little the numbers taint it: just take the plunge and enjoy! Expand
  17. Jan 31, 2012
    What's wrong with a game has a direct sequence (even if it is more a) if it is a wonderful game? What's wrong with the story complete trilogy format, or quatrolgogia or quintologia? A wonderful game can not escape the conclusion to his story ends it in an upcoming episode? Why require a "middle chapter" finish the story of the game?
  18. Jan 31, 2012
    Funny that almost all animes use and abuse of the To Be Continued, FF seems already prohibited from using it. There are chapters and more chapters of Dragon Ball Z for example, that are pure **** surpassing even the novels of Globo and Televisa.
  19. Jan 31, 2012
    Where are the masters of these fans of "to be continue" to criticize the decision of Square Enix? They criticize everything the company does, how DLCs. Every game company today make five hundred DLCs and nobody says anything, and when the Square do ...
  20. Jan 31, 2012
    Everyone has the right not to like Final Fantasy CURRENT. But when you call it "garbage" and said the series "Died," the millions of fans today, feel the least offended. Ai comes respect.
  21. Jan 31, 2012
    People just need to understand that things change, and as part of the public old leaves, comes a new audience (this includes even lower sales in Japan and higher in the West). Things are new Resident Evil ... went through it, leaving aside the terror and taking action. Final Fantasy follows changing, losing and gaining fans with each new episode, and it is not like those who no longerPeople just need to understand that things change, and as part of the public old leaves, comes a new audience (this includes even lower sales in Japan and higher in the West). Things are new Resident Evil ... went through it, leaving aside the terror and taking action. Final Fantasy follows changing, losing and gaining fans with each new episode, and it is not like those who no longer accept this fact, and at least respect the tastes of others, and as we said, not rate it "junk" as seen by both there. Expand
  22. Jan 31, 2012
    While vain haters saying that the series died on 8, at 9, 10, 6 ... in the game celebrates 25 years with much success, having sold until the thirteenth time about 7 million copies, and XIII-2, they lost some public in Japan, making this much success in the U.S., and pre-sales with 150 000 units more than its predecessor.
  23. Jan 31, 2012
    Final Fantasy fans have their real needs and not those that have been, but today only know how to criticize. You are a leading zero to Square Enix! Sorry, but this is the truth. Recalling that the Square already registered the name Final Fantasy XIII-3.
  24. Jan 31, 2012
    As we have reported in recent weeks, the newest RPG from Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues to surprise in pre-sales in the U.S.. Unlike Japan, where sales were not as good as its predecessor, the American territory, the game has surpassed more than 100 000 units Final Fantasy XIII on the same date, and that only the PS3 version, adding about 354 000 copies sold . In the Xbox 360As we have reported in recent weeks, the newest RPG from Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIII-2 continues to surprise in pre-sales in the U.S.. Unlike Japan, where sales were not as good as its predecessor, the American territory, the game has surpassed more than 100 000 units Final Fantasy XIII on the same date, and that only the PS3 version, adding about 354 000 copies sold . In the Xbox 360 version, the game enters the top 10 with 115,000 units. Expand
  25. Jan 31, 2012
    The CEO Square Enix Yoichi Wada and the CEO of Bic Camera, Hiroyuki Miyajima continued with speeches short. Wada noted that XIII -2 has been enhanced to overcome the XIII in all aspects. Miyajima said the pre-sales for the game were strong in your store, and expressed hope that they sell more copies than anywhere in Japan.
  26. Jan 31, 2012
    Joguei a versao japonesa e posso dizer que foi o melhor jogo da minha vida! Claro que a historia nao se conclui, mas nao vejo mal algum em termos FFXIII-3. Estou ancioso ja para saber o que ocorre em seguida.
  27. Jan 31, 2013
    It's a really great game, must try. It is a surprisingly different story, but the gameplay is amazing and the story is great. The characters are better than the original and the villian is one of the best and least cliche I've ever seen
  28. Feb 1, 2012
    I am enjoying this game thoroughly, and would recommend it to any fan of RPGs looking for a new game to play. The combat system is the same but improved with new options to keep you occupied, the new Chrono Trigger-esque style of play is awesome, in my opinion, and while the early game has a lot of cutscenes, it doesn't amount to nearly what had to be endured in FFXIII. I think a lot ofI am enjoying this game thoroughly, and would recommend it to any fan of RPGs looking for a new game to play. The combat system is the same but improved with new options to keep you occupied, the new Chrono Trigger-esque style of play is awesome, in my opinion, and while the early game has a lot of cutscenes, it doesn't amount to nearly what had to be endured in FFXIII. I think a lot of negative reveiws I've seen so far are "I played 30 minutes" or " I didn't play this at all, but Final Fantasy is long dead since 9!!!!!" and those aren't fair reviews or comparisons. If you don't want to pay to rent it, then download the free demo and try it out!

I enjoy the combat system, which is, to me, an updated version of the Star Ocean battle system, as your allies will fight for you. I would hardly say that it is auto-pilot -- without user interaction and thought even simple encounters would end in a Game Over.

I also enjoy the new grid sphere-esque system, and encounter system. I will say that the music can grind the gears and can't be turned off without muting everything! This is kind of crappy, but overall a minor complaint.

Do yourself a favor, play the demo!
  29. Feb 2, 2012
    The Game Sucks but I'm a SweatShopBot payed by Squenix so I ma rate it a glowing 10er ;)

enjoy the Finalfantasy so much better than 7, for real exploration true colour hair so pink, most Toriyama wish I also have. Together we can difference these Fans don't know the true Final Fantsies in my heart will never forget. So much fun. After hanging around with Cloud Strife helping the village Chocobo this music never left me with XIII-2 I overly satisfied.
    Can anyone blame so good game?

:P
  30. Feb 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Time travel? Chocobos? Moogles? Chocobo races? Amazing interactive combat system? Interactive cutscenes? Dialogue options? Excellent graphics? A fun story? Do you like these things? Then you'll like Final Fantasy XIII-2. They throw in everything you love about the Final Fantasy games and have made it sharper, cleaner, and better. Want to tame monsters and make them a part of your party? Do it! This game is amazing and well worth anyone's time! Even if you've never played a Final Fantasy game before. It even gives you a recap if you don't want to play FFXIII first. You might miss out on some story, but it gives you enough to let you get what's going on! Expand
  31. Feb 4, 2012
    It's a great game, better than FFXIII.
  32. Feb 5, 2012
    I was a little worried when this game was announced, i was mad because this was coming out before Versus xiii, however i was extremely pleased when started playing , everything XIII was, XIII-2 did it better. After getting a bit of course with the first one i can say with confidence SE is on track, hoping versus will be even better
  33. Feb 9, 2012
    First of all, I didn't like 13 that much. It took me half a year to finish because it was so boring to play. Mind you, I speak what I experienced.
    What's up with all these 10s and 0s with troll reviews anyway. There are so many fan boys and haters swarming metacritic to rate this game -_-
    That aside: It's actually a good, fresh experience to play. Just because it's not the ff people grew
    That aside:
    It's actually a good, fresh experience to play. Just because it's not the ff people grew up with, doesn't mean it's bad. So many people butthurt.
    Anyway, I've finished the game. Graphics are still good. Music is beautiful. Eclipse(Aggressive), Wish, and Noel's theme became my favs. The latter half of the game touched me. The characters suddenly developed as well. Although many say the story is nonsense, I clearly know what's going on and why it's going on though I was confused at first. The main villain did well on his part; he's actually memorable compared to other villains. The side characters and the goddess also served to bolster the plot. It all became clear at the end. And this story reminds me of a film noir with melodrama. This installment got me hooked on the final fantasy series again.
    I would give this game a 9/10, but there are so many troll 0 reviews that ruin the image of it. I recommend this game to others wanting a good rpg. It's a fresh experience that broke some rules. SE is quite bold to do so well and risking the series with the story of 13-2, although some aspects were tried in the past. 10/10. More people should experience this.
  34. Feb 9, 2012
    One of the best final fantasy games I have played, great story which builds a connection between you and the characters, fixed just about every issue that Final Fantasy XIII had and it did it without hurting any other part of the game as well. Good combat that scaled with the game, great soundtrack with many lyrical tracks that fit the environment. The antagonist is one of the best in anyOne of the best final fantasy games I have played, great story which builds a connection between you and the characters, fixed just about every issue that Final Fantasy XIII had and it did it without hurting any other part of the game as well. Good combat that scaled with the game, great soundtrack with many lyrical tracks that fit the environment. The antagonist is one of the best in any video game period. Hope square makes XIII-3. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2012
    I cant beleive all the hate this has been receiving... I played FF13 (1st one) and got a platinum trophy on it... was it any good? well after i managed to survive the first 20 or so hours... it was decent... still VERY short of any expectation of a Final Fantasy game... 1 mini game... thats it...

This one now... Sequel that promised to fix all that was wrong... No more linear maps...

This one now... Sequel that promised to fix all that was wrong...

No more linear maps... Towns... NPC with thousands of incidental dialogues... A few Dozens of minigames.... A casino (somewhat empty)... Chocobo Races... Monster Collection "DQ Style"... ChronoTrigger time traveling... It is still by no mean perfect (FF13-versus will be) hehe... But it is as close as they were able to do in the last 6 to 10 years!

Compared to the 1st FF13, the story is much more comprehensible... the first was a mess... this one has nice values... and only a few major inconsistencies (for a game that deal with time traveling thats something)

I am not a huge fan of quicktime events... but it did give some kind of interactivity with lenghty awesome cutscene... video quality was awesome as always... Music at the begining was horrendous and didnt fit the game mood and setting at all... but overall its a very decent job... especially for intense EPIC over the top moments...

Overall this game deserve anywhere between 8.4 and 9.2... And I am giving a 10 to try and balance things up a bit cause it absolutely deserve more than a 7...
  36. Aug 3, 2012
    This game exceeds is predecessor in every way. The battle system is largely the same but it did not need much changing in the first place. Combat has also been brought to life through cinematic action sequences, much like reaction commands from Kingdom Hearts. Every trace of linearity is practically gone and the soundtrack is even an upgrade. The story does not quite have as much focus asThis game exceeds is predecessor in every way. The battle system is largely the same but it did not need much changing in the first place. Combat has also been brought to life through cinematic action sequences, much like reaction commands from Kingdom Hearts. Every trace of linearity is practically gone and the soundtrack is even an upgrade. The story does not quite have as much focus as Final Fantasy XIII, but it is a heart-felt tale nonetheless. Even for those who might not see the narrative as incredibly interesting, they will find the villain Caius note-worthy. The game has plenty of post story content for the player to immerse him/herself in so they can squeeze every last bit out of this game. I would recomend this game to any of my friends Expand
  37. Nov 27, 2013
    XIII-2 fixes all the inconveniences of XIII, SE listened to the fans and delivered, the stiry continues and it's fresher and it dares to do something different, it's an amazing game that purists of the series won't like, because it still carries on many of the elements from XIII, but that's exaclty what makes it special, it's still an innovation on the franchise.
  38. Mar 11, 2012
    I absolutely loved this sequel, and I really want Final Fantasy XIII-3. I can not stop listening to the wonderful soundtrack.
    The game has been improved in several respects, and I was glad for the square-enix listen to the fans,
  39. Jun 18, 2012
    I cannot understand why this game was not significantly more popular than it was. It is in fact my favourite entry in the series. Now I don't want my review to be elitist or offensive, so i will merely outline what I loved about it, and not why you should. The music was fantastic. a brilliant mix of classic FF and new style, the story, particulary the relationship between Caius andI cannot understand why this game was not significantly more popular than it was. It is in fact my favourite entry in the series. Now I don't want my review to be elitist or offensive, so i will merely outline what I loved about it, and not why you should. The music was fantastic. a brilliant mix of classic FF and new style, the story, particulary the relationship between Caius and Noel, and just Caius in general, was great. (A highlight being a memorable interplay between the two in the endgame). The combat, for me, was a great change from the slower turn based mechanics in previous titles in 13, and it stayed that way for 13-2. Yeah, so the dlc thing is sort of annoying, but I always judge value by using a Dollar to hour ratio, and the poker in Sazh's dlc kept me going for hours and hours.
    I can honestly say there is nothing I do not love about this game.
  40. Aug 8, 2012
    Look I KNOW this is not your typical FF game but that doesn't mean it is bad or that it abandoned its roots and all that BS, ALL the bad reviews for this game be it users or critics center around just one point: that it is not your typical FF game and by that most of the people mean FF 7 and FF 10, I am a gamer for more than 15 years and you know what: this game is AWESOME and then someLook I KNOW this is not your typical FF game but that doesn't mean it is bad or that it abandoned its roots and all that BS, ALL the bad reviews for this game be it users or critics center around just one point: that it is not your typical FF game and by that most of the people mean FF 7 and FF 10, I am a gamer for more than 15 years and you know what: this game is AWESOME and then some and the only thing that will bug you a bit is the weird ending (sad) but it has a sequel.
    I am a guy who respects other people's opinions but with all due respect to the negative review guys; if gaming did not develop past its "roots" then you will be bored and your negative reviews will be about how repetitive the game is.
    TO SUMMARISE: this is a great game with great graphics, story, gameplay and above all else deep and engaging characters that you are going to love if you can see past auron, tidus, yuna, cloud and tifa.
  41. Aug 27, 2012
    Many people are blinded by the phenomenon about criticizing something via other's criticism. They fail to see the beauty of a game they DIDN'T even played. See, this is one of the best game in today's gaming industry. Who the hell didn't move on from the past games? I wasn't joking. People always don't move on and get nostalgic on their FAVORITE ff game. When another game is introduced,Many people are blinded by the phenomenon about criticizing something via other's criticism. They fail to see the beauty of a game they DIDN'T even played. See, this is one of the best game in today's gaming industry. Who the hell didn't move on from the past games? I wasn't joking. People always don't move on and get nostalgic on their FAVORITE ff game. When another game is introduced, they insult it as if it's a person. Now, a sequel coming. Truly this is the best FF ever made. The game itself evolved around the stupid and low expectations from XIII itself. Because of XIII, XIII-2 didn't make a shine thus is still being criticized. I am a former FF game since I. I didn't complain, because every one of them has their pros and cons. Expand
  42. Nov 20, 2012
    While FF7 and FFX continue to be the best ones I've ever played this game is the closest they've been to reaching that great pinnacle they once had. The story is pretty amazing, The graphics are just simply stunning, the music is pure emotion in the form of sound organized in time, and the level of time that it takes to complete this game leaves me fulfilled. The only downfall is the DLCWhile FF7 and FFX continue to be the best ones I've ever played this game is the closest they've been to reaching that great pinnacle they once had. The story is pretty amazing, The graphics are just simply stunning, the music is pure emotion in the form of sound organized in time, and the level of time that it takes to complete this game leaves me fulfilled. The only downfall is the DLC for storyline attachments but the overall quality of this game allows me to look past that and find myself thoroughly entertained. I've beaten it already and I still keep it to show my friends what a true game should be! Expand
  43. Sep 14, 2014
    Easy without a doubt one of my favorite final fantasies. Its very unique in a pokemon-ish way. You gather pets to fight for you and acquire other pets and gain their abilities and give to the ones you have or if you want to use. I had a ton of fun gathering the unique pets and raising the chocobos to race and getting all the prizes. This is definitely a game you need to play for youEasy without a doubt one of my favorite final fantasies. Its very unique in a pokemon-ish way. You gather pets to fight for you and acquire other pets and gain their abilities and give to the ones you have or if you want to use. I had a ton of fun gathering the unique pets and raising the chocobos to race and getting all the prizes. This is definitely a game you need to play for you self instead of reading peoples reviews and form your own conclusions. The game is visually amazing and the story kept me intrigued the whole game! This game can be a quick game if you don't play to get everything possible in the game which I love to do. Pretty much almost all the monsters the game you can have as a pet!! There are very few in the game you cant have so the game never got boring to me!! Expand
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    If you want a good rpg with a great story and a new twist on the time travel "story paradox" than try this game. The combat is fast and is not like some people say play itself. Maybe on small mobs to make grinding later easier (if you want Platinum)but on bosses every move need to be thought trough and can lead to a very fast death if just mashing auto battle.
    Also this game has no DLC
    Also this game has no DLC ending like some uninformed people try to make out. The DLC is 100% optional and has nothing to do with the story itself. They are Arena fights and battles which range from easy to PAINFULLY hard like Snow's DLC and Lightnings which will make you play for a long time even after the game is finished with its 7-8 Paradox endings and one true ending.

Give it a chance it is a really good game and please forget the nostalgia glasses when you play it. It is not FF6-2 it is FFXIII-2 it has grown up and evolved so do the players.
  45. Oct 23, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII-2, the story of Serah and Noel.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, the story of Serah and Noel.

Firstly, whilst I was a fan of the first game and found it to be beautiful & atmospheric, I admit there were some design restrictions holding it back from reaching it's masterpiece potential. Fortunately, Square Enix loves their fans and have poured their heart into creating a fresh new story whilst still keeping a touch of the first chapter's magic for nostalgia's sake.

Yes at first the new story seems a bit vanilla, but it ramps up to a gritty, dark conclusion and the game itself is crammed full of new features, such as a techno drenched soundtrack, time travel, recruitable monsters, bigger maps, and even alternate endings.

I wasn't too sure about a couple of the tweaks at first, such as only two human party members being available, but when classic mascots such as (SPOILER) Odin and Tonberry become party members, all will be forgiven.

Some fans of the older entries in the franchise (Which I am too) might still find this a bit of a departure. But I welcome the new Final Fantasy with open arms. Well done Square Enix.
  46. Oct 18, 2013
    Honestly why do alot of people hate this game? I understand that Final Fantasy 13 took a new gameplay mechanic, and was also linear, and I can agree the linear change but they fixed that in this game. but that means it's not a bad game. For those that hate the game for this change of combat are those that can't let go of the past, and really should just realize that this is a very funHonestly why do alot of people hate this game? I understand that Final Fantasy 13 took a new gameplay mechanic, and was also linear, and I can agree the linear change but they fixed that in this game. but that means it's not a bad game. For those that hate the game for this change of combat are those that can't let go of the past, and really should just realize that this is a very fun game. There are parts in the game where you will need to come up with a good strategic way to take down some enemies and if anything it's not bad. Plus the soundtrack of the game is awesome along with a good story. So for those that don't know if they should pick up this game, I recommend this game to you. Don't listen to others bashing on this game, play the game for yourself and find out you like it or not. Because I sure did! Expand
  47. Jul 15, 2016
    Travel in time, form team with the monsters, train your team. And more strategy. This game is the best and bring back to live the unsuccessful ff xiii game. this game is great.
  48. May 8, 2016
    Final Fantasy XIII has worse story. Same in XIII-2. But this game is enjoyable for me. The combat system can change leader. The monster system was great. Serah have a great personality. She know about if she change the future. She'll die. but she can accept that. This world cannot know how much i love this game. it was very excited for me.
  49. Jan 31, 2012
    A huge step up from Final Fantasy XIII with more attention to exploration, minigames, and some improvements to combat. The story can get a bit confusing at times so I knocked off a point for clarity, though overall it's a decent improvement. I always dislike people who give games a 0 in ratings, that means it is UNPLAYABLE, such as too many bugs and crashes. If you want to try that type ofA huge step up from Final Fantasy XIII with more attention to exploration, minigames, and some improvements to combat. The story can get a bit confusing at times so I knocked off a point for clarity, though overall it's a decent improvement. I always dislike people who give games a 0 in ratings, that means it is UNPLAYABLE, such as too many bugs and crashes. If you want to try that type of game look at Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at launch or Fallout 3: New Vegas. Expand
  50. Feb 4, 2012
    While Final Fantasy 13-2 will still not be everyone's cup of tea it is far superior to its predecessor. Final Fantasy 13-2 mostly sticks to the same battle system utilised by its predecessor, however it is different enough to make it feel a lot more fun. Combat is much faster and more fluid on the whole, the paradigm shifts have no slow down as exhibited in 13 and the game in general isWhile Final Fantasy 13-2 will still not be everyone's cup of tea it is far superior to its predecessor. Final Fantasy 13-2 mostly sticks to the same battle system utilised by its predecessor, however it is different enough to make it feel a lot more fun. Combat is much faster and more fluid on the whole, the paradigm shifts have no slow down as exhibited in 13 and the game in general is more about enduring the battle than a dungeon (Same as in 13 in this way). Speaking of endurance in battle 13-2 brings in the 'wound' system which makes enduring battles harder as some enemies caan wound you and make your maximum lifebar lower and lower, therefore making just healing injuries slightly more obselete. Now the next new thing in the combat system is rather hit and miss with its implementation, 'Cinematic Actions' or QTE are used at various points in battle. While the mention of QTE within a JRPG may sound ludicrous I personally found it to further expand on the fast system and add a nice layer of depth to the battle system, rather than just using auto-battle or using the paradigm shift most of the time. The gameplay is enjoyable and really thought through by Square Enix this time around most will enjoy it albeit those who thoroughly disliked the initial system in 13. Another important point to take into consideration which is new to the final fantasy series is the addition of monsters which round up the count of your party members to three. During your travels through the game you will encounter various monsters, some of which turn into a crystal and join your party during the duration of the game. There are a few main types of monsters each with their own unique job assigned (which cannot be changed through paradigm shift) for example you may put a Behemoth on your party who fulfils the commando role. Before battle however you must set your paradigms, which includes setting a specific monster to each, so that when you activate a battle during a paradigm shift the type of monster can be changed. An example of this is say you have a team of Serah (RAV), Noel (Rav) and Zwerg Scanaroid(RAV) but you want 2 Medics and a commando you could paradigm shift so the monster appropriate to this condition is within that paradigm Serah (MED) Noel (COM) Cait Sith (MED). Again within battle the monsters have a Limit Break like technique called a 'Feral Link' which can be used during battle to use a special attack which is unique to each monster, However the feral link bar must first be filled. Finally we move onto the actual equipment and levelling up system. This time around we ditch the previous crystarium system in which everything was on a set stemmed path and take up the new crystarium system, which using crystogen points received for winning battles allow for upgrades of each job seperately until you reach a bonus. Once a bonus is reached the player decides what to do with the bonus, common options include; Upgrade job bonuses (Get more HP etc... for each step taken on crystarium scale), Unlock a new job which was previously locked to the character, increase ATB gauges. This system feels much more comfortable and a lot less confused than the levelling up system that was included in the predecessor. To level up monsters the system is essentially the same except your limited to levelling up their specified job and instead of using crystogen points to level up they use special items. Next up is equipment which is mostly the same except for the fact that A) Weapons no longer have to be upgraded) and B) Accessories take up a set amount of AP for each character which can be raised by choosing this as a bonus within the levelling up system. Now away from all this technical stuff is the need to say that the linear paths seen within 13 are mostly gone and the open areas within the game definately allow for exploration to find new items or to find fragments and artifacts (More on this later). The enviroments are diverse in general although the first few are all pretty dull in the sense that they are ruins, although this is intentional as they are mostly the same location in different time zones (More on this later). NPC's are also back and really give a feeling of life in the game, they also offer up side missions which are really useful to carry out. There is also a feature commonly seen in MMO of a tab at the bottom left of the screen which has all the text of what the NPC's are currently communicating. Then there is a new system called the 'Live trigger' system which allows you to talk to NPC's in a new branching conversation and decisions way (As seen in Mass Effect). There are also new systems like the Historia Crux which allows travel to various locations within the game provided you have the key to going to these locations in the form of an artifact which can be found. Would write more but got no characters left. Gameplay: 9
    Graphics:8.5
    Presentation:9
    Lasting Appeal:9
    Story: 7.5
  51. Feb 9, 2012
    Lightning and the gang is back for another installment of Final Fantasy. The gameplay is very similar to 13 so if you really enjoyed the paradigm shifting you'll feel at home. They added a monster as your third member in your party and you can catch and alter your team with whatever monsters you want in your paradigm set. I actually really liked the time travel story line that this gameLightning and the gang is back for another installment of Final Fantasy. The gameplay is very similar to 13 so if you really enjoyed the paradigm shifting you'll feel at home. They added a monster as your third member in your party and you can catch and alter your team with whatever monsters you want in your paradigm set. I actually really liked the time travel story line that this game has, most of the time time travel is really out there but this game manged to be interesting and i understood the storyline by the time the game was over. Overall i had a blast playing this game, some might be disappointed by the odd story but if you want a fun ride, you should pick this up Expand
  52. Feb 9, 2012
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 brings new things to the series. First, the Cinematic Action : there are actually not that many of them, and then they donâ
  53. Feb 17, 2012
    8.5 would be my score if it was available here, it isn't so I generously bumped it up amidst the underwhelming scores given somewhat harshly on this site. I honestly don't have much to say in the way of negative things to attribute to this sequel. Perhaps the story isn't quite as captivating as XIII's was and there is frequent slow down in visiting new areas, but the combat system,8.5 would be my score if it was available here, it isn't so I generously bumped it up amidst the underwhelming scores given somewhat harshly on this site. I honestly don't have much to say in the way of negative things to attribute to this sequel. Perhaps the story isn't quite as captivating as XIII's was and there is frequent slow down in visiting new areas, but the combat system, soundtrack, voice acting, and the sheer amount of fun to be had here make this another top JRPG from Square Enix. It's simple if you didn't like XIII then don't buy this. If you liked, or even loved, XIII then you will very much enjoy this despite the fact that it is a little shorter in overall length. Expand
  54. Feb 1, 2012
    This game is so much better than 13. It captures what made Final Fantasy great in the first place. People who say the battle system is weak are fools. All you did in games like FF7 was click attack and choose target, with the occasional spell and healing item. It's the same sort of thing. It has a great (different) soundtrack, excellent characters(better than 13 in every way). The storyThis game is so much better than 13. It captures what made Final Fantasy great in the first place. People who say the battle system is weak are fools. All you did in games like FF7 was click attack and choose target, with the occasional spell and healing item. It's the same sort of thing. It has a great (different) soundtrack, excellent characters(better than 13 in every way). The story picks up where 13 left off, and continues it with grace and charm, unexpected in FF sequels. If you are actually a fan of Final Fantasy (not the kids on here who say everything after 8 was bad) then pick it up. It's definitely worth the money. Expand
  55. Jan 31, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece like the classic Final Fantasys.
    The gameplay, the music, the characters, the ambience, the graphics, etc
    Everything is awesome.
    If you like good games.
    If you like FFXIII.
    If you like Final Fantasy saga.
    Buy It!
    Buy it right now.
    It's a masterpiece.
  56. Feb 2, 2012
    This game fixed literally everything from the previous installment as well as implement a somewhat coherent story with time travel. The only thing that really hinders me from loving it is the wide open ending.
  57. Feb 2, 2012
    I have played all the final fantasy games and FF13-2 is definitely just as great as all the games before it. I have played 3 hours into it and I can't find a flaw yet. The combat is excellent and is fast paced just like 13 and u have to actually think on the harder battles. FF7 is so old school now and outdated I don't why people like it so much I thought it was average and nothing specialI have played all the final fantasy games and FF13-2 is definitely just as great as all the games before it. I have played 3 hours into it and I can't find a flaw yet. The combat is excellent and is fast paced just like 13 and u have to actually think on the harder battles. FF7 is so old school now and outdated I don't why people like it so much I thought it was average and nothing special I don't no why people bother comparing to any final fantasy games. If u want a good final fantasy game that has good replay value and a great follow up story get FF13-2, if u want a be a hater and live in the past and complain about **** instead of being a final fantasy fan ignore this game. Expand
  58. Sep 8, 2012
    Improves the gameplay of the previous one, but the story is a little worse. The new character Noel is a nice addition to the cast, and the same can be said about Caius and Yeul. The art direction changed a bit, and is a lot more anime-ish and colorful. The OST is very good, too.

Anyway, the game shines in it's gameplay. There's more freedom now, for those who didn't like the linearity of the original title.

It's a great experience overall, even without Lightning.
  59. Feb 26, 2012
    I played this game from beginning to end and I can positively say It was truly a fun game. I also played ff 13. I found 13 to be pretty underwhelming. The only thing I appreciated where the graphics and the music. But there was just no substance; the story and characters seemed to be developing, but by the end left me cold. 13-2 on the other hand, has layers of substance. From the story toI played this game from beginning to end and I can positively say It was truly a fun game. I also played ff 13. I found 13 to be pretty underwhelming. The only thing I appreciated where the graphics and the music. But there was just no substance; the story and characters seemed to be developing, but by the end left me cold. 13-2 on the other hand, has layers of substance. From the story to the sidequests to the multiple locations I felt more than satisfied with the gameplay. My favorite part was the strong emphasis on treasure hunting  I love a game that encourages you to unlock all of its secrets. It drives you to keep playing. The only reason I gave this game a 9 and not a 10 (and may be a deal breaker for some) is the game will be completed with downloadable content. I wish the story was more conclusive at the end, and I can't honestly say I have confidence that Squeenix will take me off this ledge and give the story the resolution it deserves.

With that said, there is plenty to enjoy here. The music was moving at times and other times cracked me up (the chocobo song anyone?). So for sensuality (and laughs) the musical score wins.  I believe the reason why everyone is calling the story convoluted was perhaps they were thrown off by the several paradox endings? Once one realizes that these endings are merely alternate scenarios there is not much to be confused about. And if there are any lingering questions you can always check the datalog.

I am very proud of this purchase. I'm just disappointed that I have to wait (and pay for) a story resolution.

This will understandably anger fans and keep people from wanting to purchase the game. I suggest for those that consider this fact to be a deal breaker to wait for the game to go on sale with all of the dlc. It's a great game that deserves more respect than it's receiving.
  60. Aug 24, 2012
    FFXIII was great game. I enjoyed it a lot although it was a bit linear for the most part but the story and battle system were fantastic. FFXIII-2 improves on it's predecessor in almost every way. There is no linearity in site which was the main problem people had with XIII. The game introduces cinematic actions in battle, they are simply quick time events that help you do greater damage toFFXIII was great game. I enjoyed it a lot although it was a bit linear for the most part but the story and battle system were fantastic. FFXIII-2 improves on it's predecessor in almost every way. There is no linearity in site which was the main problem people had with XIII. The game introduces cinematic actions in battle, they are simply quick time events that help you do greater damage to your enemies, it's a nice touch but not necessary. The combat is the same as XIII but it's better. You can now switch to which party member you want to control in battle however you only have two. The third party member space is reserved for your monster or monsters which you can obtain through battles or throughout the world. Monster collecting and upgrading those monsters are fun and addicting. Conversation choices appear throughout the game and it's a good addition. The story lasts about 25-35 hours depending on how you play but there are also side quests to complete and a casino to visit. I like the story but it's not as good as XIII's. Also there is no closure at the end of the story which I have mixed feelings about. Overall FFXIII-2 is a fantastic game and I recommend it to true Final Fantasy and JRPG fans. Expand
  61. Feb 11, 2012
    This game is great. It's open world and various side quests expand greatly from XIII. Plus the new monster system keeps you coming back to find the rarest allies and level them up to max. The new crystirium may be linear, but it adds consequences to what you level up by introducing 2-sized nodes. The time traveling is great and it even allows you to replay various time zones in case youThis game is great. It's open world and various side quests expand greatly from XIII. Plus the new monster system keeps you coming back to find the rarest allies and level them up to max. The new crystirium may be linear, but it adds consequences to what you level up by introducing 2-sized nodes. The time traveling is great and it even allows you to replay various time zones in case you missed anything. Overall, it's great! It tops XIII in all ways and is completely fun. Whereas in other FF's, the battle can get boring, in XIII-2, it doesn't, simply because of all the different monsters you can capture and new abilities you can try. Before this, I thought Square Enix was beginning to fail, but i believe XIII-2 is a new beginning for them. This game truly deserves better reviews then it has been receiving. The only thing I wished they changed was the sappiness. In almost all cut scenes the one character is always sad and the other has to cheer him up. They always have to say something cheesy to make the other feel better and it gets really old in every cut scene. Other then that, start searching through your couches for money and go buy this game. Expand
  62. Feb 21, 2013
    Great Improvement over XIII! There are so much more side quest and things to do. It starts of slow but once it hooks you it doesn't let go. I thought that the monster hunting would be bad but it was pretty good and all caped of with a great story. DO PLAY IF YOU ARE A FF FAN!
  63. Mar 3, 2012
    Final fantasy it's back, maybe it's not like the old Final fantasy, but it's very better than FFXIII and FFXII, and Caius it's e real bad-ass!!, not bad, not bad att all!
  64. Mar 7, 2012
    I read a lot of complaints about every aspect of this game: music, combat, story, length.

Then I realized those complaints came from people who never played it. Impossible as it may seem I think that this game is one of the best final fantasies in a long long time. Why, you may ask? To put it simply, here's why: - loved the characters: they have a troubled past but don't spend the

Then I realized those complaints came from people who never played it.

Why, you may ask? To put it simply, here's why:
    - loved the characters: they have a troubled past but don't spend the screen time looking sad staring at the distance
    - music: people didn't like mostly because they heard "crazy chocobo" out of context, just that song
    - the monster collection: it is deep, funny and can shift the balance in battle
    - battle itself: challenging, fast-paced, spamming the X-button will lead to nowhere, really
    - story: it is simple to follow, more focused about the dynamic between characters then the overly abused: young boy that looks like a girl will save the world with the power of friendship. Then we have the ending, I'm not going to spoil it but I can understand why people would complain about it, on the other hand I think it is perfectly done as it is.

In the end, I recommend this game to everyone who loved the previous one, and to all the people who somehow feel like they have been "betrayed" by Square: they will find an epic tale through time with likable characters.

Stop complaining about non-issues, focus on what the game has to offer instead of features that are absent from previous games.
  65. Mar 10, 2012
    Plat FF13-2 already and spent more than 120hrs into the game and here's my view

Pro(s): - Love the freedom of shaping your character growth and monster customization - Personally love the battle system and game speed - Appreciate the option of harder version of boss fight - like the costume change feature Con(s): - I wish character given the option to reset growth development rather than
    Plat FF13-2 already and spent more than 120hrs into the game and here's my view

Pro(s):
    - Love the freedom of shaping your character growth and monster customization
    - Personally love the battle system and game speed
    - Appreciate the option of harder version of boss fight
    - like the costume change feature

Con(s):
    - I wish character given the option to reset growth development rather than had to play the game from zero all over again
    - would be great if world map return to ff series - Sadly, SAB, SEN and SYN not so useful in this installment ~ Dig the story telling especially during Noel and Serah dream scene, love the final boss marathon (wish had hard version of it)..had no issue with the ending (for me that is)
  66. Mar 19, 2012
    Let me begin by admitting I am a big fan of all Final Fantasy games. That being said, I would have given this a 10 were it not for Square Enix giving in to the inevitable - DLC. Now, I will say that I do not mind some DLC - the weapons and extra battles are just fine - but from what I understand they will be adding actual game content as well (they already have, actually, with the "Sazh:Let me begin by admitting I am a big fan of all Final Fantasy games. That being said, I would have given this a 10 were it not for Square Enix giving in to the inevitable - DLC. Now, I will say that I do not mind some DLC - the weapons and extra battles are just fine - but from what I understand they will be adding actual game content as well (they already have, actually, with the "Sazh: Heads or Tails?" pack). That does not sit well with me. If I am buying the game on launch day for $60, you had better give me 100% of the game. Don't shark me another $10 or $20 for actual content that should have been there in the first place.

Since that is out of the way, I would like to praise what this game does very well - everything else. The graphics are gorgeous, that battle system is very well done, and the recruiting and monster-building that you are tasked with to flesh out a well rounded party is a really cool feature. Serendipity is fine to kill some time and have fun with your Chocobos (although that damn slot machine is rigged, in my opinion) - and there are plenty of high-level enemies for you to track down and face off with once you have beaten the main story line.

I will recommend to everyone reading this: Buy the guide!!! There are so many well hidden items and side quests that you would probably never find them without some sort of guide to help you through. Some may scoff at the idea, but I have found that buying the guide to go with the game has become part of the experience for me.
  67. Mar 21, 2012
    This game is great. I you loved XIII, you'll love this game even more. XIII was a masterpiece that had a few flaws here and there. The second addition to the XIII universe remedy this problem greatly. Although the main story is pretty short and leaves you unsatisfied, you can fill the emptiness with dozen of DLC content that has been coming out for the game, which adds to theThis game is great. I you loved XIII, you'll love this game even more. XIII was a masterpiece that had a few flaws here and there. The second addition to the XIII universe remedy this problem greatly. Although the main story is pretty short and leaves you unsatisfied, you can fill the emptiness with dozen of DLC content that has been coming out for the game, which adds to the experience and fun of this stylish game. Expand
  68. May 3, 2012
    There is a need to make some things clear. 1. There will not be a FF7 remake and 2. Every Final Fantasy entry shines in its own right. Whatâ
  69. Jul 20, 2012
    XIII is just a very good game, XIII-2 is an awesome game. Nice graphics and songs as ever, but with the addition of a amazing story and a more opened gameplay. I'm not giving a 10 score just because of the DLCs required to understand the plot.
  70. Aug 16, 2012
    I'm 12 hours in and still staring at the background scenery,everything about his game is visually and dynamically stunning, I love the strategic combat system, and animal taming..
    This is a vast improvement on it's predecessor..
    I can see myself platinum-ing this title and enjoying the experience.. Picked it up brand new for $30 (AUS), and Played nothing else since (I bought 6 games
    This is a vast improvement on it's predecessor..
    I can see myself platinum-ing this title and enjoying the experience..
    Picked it up brand new for $30 (AUS), and Played nothing else since (I bought 6 games this month)..
  71. Sep 22, 2013
    A better version of Final Fantasy XIII. The gameplay is not linear anymore (you can travel to every location you have already opened anytime), a lot of stuff to do, a lot of stuff to collect, side-quests. Improved battle-system. The story is decent and somehow twisted, all the thing is about time travelling and "butterfly effects".
  72. Feb 9, 2014
    Very Interesting game. Love the voice acting, battle system, locations but I will say this game will make your head explode with confusion. I recommend playing it. Story isn't confusing but the one minor
    problem I have is the design of the loading screens. I got a bit of motion sickness from it oddly even though I wasn't really moving but it makes the game feel more immersing. It also builds up to one of the IMO great games coming out this year in the form of Lightning Returns. Anyways XIII-2 is one of the more interesting FF games I've played but my favourite part has got to be how the relationship of Serah and Noel builds through the game.

Pros
    -Fun Battle System
    -How the relationship of Serah and Noel forms over the game.
    -DLC costumes (Assassins`s Creed!)
    -Unique Locations
    -Futuristic city part reminds me of a futuristic Watch Dogs
    -Time Travel!

Cons
    -Yet Locations feel bland at times
    -Time Travel Loading Screen can make you feel sick
    -Apart from the two main characters and maybe Sazh, all other characters seem forgettable.
    -Story can feel a big long winded at times.
  73. Mar 25, 2014
    Nice game, the only one of the series worthwhile, engaging combat system with many skills, so a new type pokemon monsters to use in battle, engaging story and a charismatic character as Noel.

if you dont like the series to give it a try this, but only this, do not touch the rest xD
  74. Nov 8, 2014
    Unsure as to why people think Final Fantasy isn't great anymore. This game is fantastic, and is easily one of the best games I have played in a while. It fixes so many problems that FF XIII had that I find it hard to go back to XIII. The linear areas are gone, the halted progression is gone, the battle system is much more engaging, and the characters are much more likeable and haveUnsure as to why people think Final Fantasy isn't great anymore. This game is fantastic, and is easily one of the best games I have played in a while. It fixes so many problems that FF XIII had that I find it hard to go back to XIII. The linear areas are gone, the halted progression is gone, the battle system is much more engaging, and the characters are much more likeable and have reasonable motivation. This game also features one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard (Final Fantasy or otherwise). Nitpicking aside, the biggest fault this game has is that its related to FF XIII. I like that its based around new characters, but it really could have shone more if it was a game to itself. You may not enjoy this game if a plot-hole here and there upsets you a lot. With this game you kind of just have to go with it occasionally, because at its heart, it has a great story and good message. Expand
  75. Sep 22, 2014
    I think XIII-2 redeemed what was lost in XIII. But fans still want Lightning which this game have different main characters with the monsters that you can infuse that is great. maybe other gamers wanted more characters which SE didn't add. They have open world, if the main character dies, other one would be the main controllable character, Open world is there, Bad ass main antagonist.I think XIII-2 redeemed what was lost in XIII. But fans still want Lightning which this game have different main characters with the monsters that you can infuse that is great. maybe other gamers wanted more characters which SE didn't add. They have open world, if the main character dies, other one would be the main controllable character, Open world is there, Bad ass main antagonist. maybe other fans just wanted more and each FF has its own. i still don't get the hate, and i love the series and characters. Expand
  76. Mar 28, 2015
    This game is much improved from Final Fantasy 13. Everything from the characters, to the bad guy, to the cutscenes, to the changes in gameplay. Its better in every way. And you get to roam and do pretty much what you want, when you want.

It made me excited for Lightning Returns.
  77. Jul 5, 2016
    This is Final Fantasy XIII in all its glory. And way more....

This game is a joy to play. The graphics are simply outstanding. The characters are so well done and the history surrounding each one of them is as interesting as themselves. The gameplay is a lot of fun, easy some times but not that important. The story is brilliant thanks to it being confusing. Yes.... People have
    This is Final Fantasy XIII in all its glory. And way more....

Yes.... People have smashed this trilogy, and I see their point. This game is not perfect. You may see a 10/10 in my review, but it simply can't be perfect, no game is. But you don't need it that way, just enjoy it for what it is. It's an JRPG more focussed on action than anything else.
  78. Feb 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy XIII had a lot of problems, and Square Enix have certainly made an attempt to fix that in this sequel. The corridor-shooter style level design from the first game is gone. You're now given a menu of levels to explore and unlock, each a different time and place in the future of XIII's world. This makes exploration and progress similar to the Kingdom Hearts games, allowing you to explore different areas at your own pace, without constantly forcing you to follow the plot. The battle system is pretty much the same as XIII, however enemy encounters luckily don't last 5 minutes each time anymore, and the monster taming mechanic adds to the formula somewhat, though it really lacks the depth of other RPGs that use a similar feature.

The storyline and characters are a significant improvement over XIII-2's predecessor. Our two main characters Serah and Noel manage to be surprisingly enjoyable characters; Serah manages to avoid being bland or annoying, though her characterization is mostly limited and safe. Noel has quite an interesting and intense backstory; coming from a future where he is the last human alive. Meanwhile the ridiculously outfitted villain this time, Caius is right up there as one of the most compelling bad guys in the series, with a motivation that doesn't just boil down to killing everyone for the hell of it. The cast is small, but you manage to connect with them on this journey. The plot isn't anything great, but it's tolerable due to the character goals being made very clear to you throughout. The game comes to an end with a cliffhanger, likely to be resolved with downloadable chapters in future. Some people are going to feel cheated by the "To Be Continued" card, but the climax itself is a bold and shocking scene that is deserving of praise for subverting the series' often formulaic storytelling and trying to do something no previous entry in the series had dared to do.

On the visual side, the game holds all the marks of SE's excellent production values, with beautiful landscapes, and detailed characters. The soundtrack isn't really up to the series' standards, but a lot of it works with it's use in-game (the Devil May Cry style metal however always seems to be played at the most unfitting of moments). While replacing XIII's A-to-B style of level design, the sequel offers wide open areas, with numerous interconnecting paths, giving us a world we can actually explore. What comes as a disappointment however is that these areas are reused often as separate eras in your journey through time. One particular area, the Yaschas Massif, is used as 4 separate levels, each one making minimal changes to layout and content. It's the sign of a rushed game, resulting in a world not as expansive as would be hoped for.

In it's current state, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is half-finished, awaiting DLC to expand on it's content. but what it does offer us makes up immensely for the prequel; this is an RPG that's fun. It has a fast-paced battle, as well as a large array of environments to explore, with plenty of treasures to find, and a casino with Gold Saucer-esque minigames to distract you. It feels like an apology for all of Final Fantasy XIII's faults; if a rushed one at that. The game is only really a "good" RPG, that doesn't provide you with the standards that made the Final Fantasy series one of the biggest names in gaming. It's a fun adventure while it lasts, but it will need to add some impressive new stuff if it wants to become truly worth the price of admission.
  79. Oct 14, 2014
    An improvement on its predecessor and a welcome change in tone, if XIII felt stripped-out, XIII-2 has everything put back in. It isn't perfect, and has some annoying features (some worlds have random encounter rates that get really annoying, really quickly), and some puzzles were clearly designed by Satan himself (Paradox clock) but my issues with the XIII's battle system have mostly beenAn improvement on its predecessor and a welcome change in tone, if XIII felt stripped-out, XIII-2 has everything put back in. It isn't perfect, and has some annoying features (some worlds have random encounter rates that get really annoying, really quickly), and some puzzles were clearly designed by Satan himself (Paradox clock) but my issues with the XIII's battle system have mostly been addressed - at least, they weren't a problem in-game. I missed the lack of a proper party, but a Moogle that says KUPO all the time, and being able to recruit monsters - including Cactuars and Chocobos - kind of makes up for it, they have more personality than Snow, at any rate. XIII-2 also has its own version of Golden Saucer, which isn't as good, but it's nice to race Chocobos again. If there is one negative thing I would say about the game, it's that after 30-40 hours of effort, an unsatisfying ending was thrown in my face with a big fat TO BE CONTINUED... sign. Can't have everything, I suppose. Expand
  80. Feb 13, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a great game and a huge improvement for those who wanted a similar old school like Final Fantasy experience but were disappointed with the first game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 uses everything that was great in the first game and improves at almost all aspects for a few and brings back many of the most loved aspects of the previous games such as town exploration andFinal Fantasy XIII-2 is a great game and a huge improvement for those who wanted a similar old school like Final Fantasy experience but were disappointed with the first game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 uses everything that was great in the first game and improves at almost all aspects for a few and brings back many of the most loved aspects of the previous games such as town exploration and non-linearity. You will surely enjoy the graphics, design, music and gameplay of the game. Even if you did not enjoy the first game that much this game however will change your opinion on the series as a whole. Expand
  81. Aug 26, 2013
    I'm really kind of conflicted about XIII-2. I came into the game thinking all the flaws of XIII were to be fixed, and the game certainly didn't disappoint in that regard. I was shocked to find problems of a whole different caliber take their place. One aspect of the game I disliked in particular was that the Cerberus-X paradigm essentially beat 99% of random encounters for you. BecauseI'm really kind of conflicted about XIII-2. I came into the game thinking all the flaws of XIII were to be fixed, and the game certainly didn't disappoint in that regard. I was shocked to find problems of a whole different caliber take their place. One aspect of the game I disliked in particular was that the Cerberus-X paradigm essentially beat 99% of random encounters for you. Because Square enix made the game more open, there are a lot more random encounters in the game, making a more streamlined combat system that doesn't focus as much on staggering necessary. But this makes most of the encounters just a flashy X button mashing fest. It also hurt that the story seemed to lose focus as the game wore on, becoming convoluted and confusing, sans a few touching moments.

Why do I still give the game an 8 then? Well, the game still has its share of assets, the most prominent being presentation. The worlds of XIII-2 and absolutely astounding, especially now that they are completely open for exploration. The music in the game is also one of the best soundtracks in the series, with an unusual amount of interesting vocal arrangements for key tracks. Serah, Noel, and the rest of the cast are strong, and help mitigate the confusing story. The game's open structure can definitely attract those not as concerned with advancing the story, although completing sidequests will make the game even easier than it already is. '

Ultimately, it's still a strong game, but with its fair share of flaws. Should you give it a shot? Yes, I think you should. Just realize that it's a very different sort of game than its predecessor, and whether that's for the better is up to you.
  82. Jan 4, 2013
    This game may not be the best in the series, but it is still a great game. The story was interesting and immersive, and the game offers many new concepts, and the high amount of quests and activities will keep you going for over 30 hours.
  83. Apr 2, 2014
    I think it's a great game. Genius how SE lets you shape how long the story will be by making things optional for you to do. You also can shoot for multiple endings. Battle are WAYYY too easy. The characters can easily develop too fast. You talk to lots of people plus the soundtrack and graphics are nice in my humble opinion. The story is to and fro from time to time, but I think I stillI think it's a great game. Genius how SE lets you shape how long the story will be by making things optional for you to do. You also can shoot for multiple endings. Battle are WAYYY too easy. The characters can easily develop too fast. You talk to lots of people plus the soundtrack and graphics are nice in my humble opinion. The story is to and fro from time to time, but I think I still rather enjoyed the game. The gameplay was nice if anything else(besides the great music, beautiful graphics.) Points off for the ending, though. Overall, I was entertained. Would be between a 7 and 8 for me. Expand
  84. Feb 1, 2012
    Don't listen to the people who haven't played the game or given it a zero, it actually runs, its a fine game and some interesting concepts. If they complete the story via dlc or expansion that would bump it up to a 9 for me.
  85. Feb 2, 2012
    I liked Final Fantasy XIII unlike most people. Regardless i saw the issues that ruined it as a final fantasy game for most people. This game, however, certainly fixes most of those issues, such as the lack of mini games, side quests, and exploration. While, the areas you can explore aren't all that huge, the whole different era mechanic makes exploration fun with all the different sideI liked Final Fantasy XIII unlike most people. Regardless i saw the issues that ruined it as a final fantasy game for most people. This game, however, certainly fixes most of those issues, such as the lack of mini games, side quests, and exploration. While, the areas you can explore aren't all that huge, the whole different era mechanic makes exploration fun with all the different side quests and what not. Combat is also a lot more exciting with the mog clock and the cinematic action which takes quick time events a step up and lot more fun. There's also a few more RPG factors with the live triggers which allow you to choose what you say. The characters, however, are still a little boring with little relatability or true motivation. Despite that the game is still fun to play with an interesting world with fun game mechanics. Expand
  86. Feb 2, 2012
    I picked up the collector's edition for 79.99. So far I am 10 hours in, and I currently am quite pleased. A few things about the game imo.

1) The story is simple with a set goal, so simple that at times it may appear to be a bad story. I just reached a stage in the game though where it appears to be picking up, I just got through a shocker moment that adds to the story value, at least imo.
    2) The battle/game play is much better. No more is the fail game over when the party dies, but this comes at a price. The bosses are now a true pain in the ass with the new wound feature of the game. I just got done with a fight where literally my characters max HP got reduced for 1400 hp max hp, to 400 max hp. 3) The game is extremely open now, you can pretty much do whatever you want in any order you want, the towns are big, there are no stores to buy stuff at, but the merchant lady who sells you the stuff is pretty hilarious if you listen to the things she says. 4) Noel is an interesting character, I like him, but I really prefer Serah, I like her as a character in this game. The monster system is totally awesome lol, I love it lol. Nothing like summoning your Behemoth out to run over a guy in mere seconds. 5) The Crystarium system is awesome now, way better than FF13, you are aloud to build your characters however you wish from an early stage on, you start off with 3 basic roles, but you can unlock all 6 probably within 5 hours or so if you wish.
    6) There is maybe an hour or so of tutorials, then you are free to go nuts. Overall if I was rating it right now I would give it around an 8.0/10, it is good, not the best FF I have ever played, but entertaining and that is all I can hope for these days with the state of RPG's. More info to come the farther I move in the game :P
  87. Feb 3, 2012
    ****Remember folks: If you truly are as hardcore FF fans as you say you are, there's no point in whining about the auto-battle system; it's optional! You can still manually choose ALL the abilities you want to use.****

FFXIII-2 does wonders to the series after the small disappointment that XIII was. Don't get me wrong, XIII was a good game and for the first 30 hours of the game I ate it up like strawberry ice cream on a hot summer day. However after that it got a bit repetitive and in the end when I finished the game it didn't invoke much feeling. However XIII-2 is a different beast. The linearity is gone, the battle system has been made even more fluid and it even offers you to change the default position of the cursor so it's faster to handle battles manually. The music in the game is not the best Final Fantasy has to offer, but you can still expect to hear some tunes that will get you excited or emotional. Writing is cheesy as is usual in Japanese entertainment and Final Fantasy in particular, and this is made even worse by the English voice actors who just quite can't deliver (I can't imagine how annoying it must be to record all these cheesy lines). This wasn't a big problem when the series was text based, but with voices it's a different story. I would prefer to have Japanese voice with English subtitles but since they lip-sync it it becomes difficult. If you want to play the game with Japanese voice and English subtitles you can buy this version in Play-Asia.

The small additions, like the "cinematic action", real time CGI, monster gathering and leveling and minigames like the paradoxes and side quests really make this game shine.
  88. Feb 9, 2012
    The ending to Final Fantasy XIII contained a contradiction; it broke the rules. But it rang true to the game's overarching theme of the infinite strength of the human spirit, with characters that declared they would contradict all the rules -- a touching note to end on. Final Fantasy XIII-2 then desperately jumps through fanatical loops in trying to dismantle the respectable conclusion ofThe ending to Final Fantasy XIII contained a contradiction; it broke the rules. But it rang true to the game's overarching theme of the infinite strength of the human spirit, with characters that declared they would contradict all the rules -- a touching note to end on. Final Fantasy XIII-2 then desperately jumps through fanatical loops in trying to dismantle the respectable conclusion of another game, and to a point of near hilarity. Savvy followers may even have questions of smaller magnitude, such as why everyone is suddenly capable of using magic. Well they just can, says the game's datalog. Why didn't Square just make Lightning a pop singer and call it a day?

But it's naïve to say it all ends there, and unfair to claim that Final Fantasy XIII-2 isn't for the fans. It's not even half complete when the credits roll, and a plethora of content still waits untapped. It's a monster collector's favorite hunting spot, a trailblazer's backpack of spoils, and a completionist's paradise. Cameos and salutes to older games abound, challenges to truly test those thirsty for battle await, and powerful skills and items lie in hiding - this is a gamer's game, and it's damn well appreciated.
  89. Apr 2, 2012
    Good game and good continuation of his predecessor. It repairs in the defects of the previous one but without being a perfect game. It neglects some elements.
  90. May 11, 2012
    Better than XIII in most ways. I like the fact you can explore a lot more, but it has to be done through a cenrtal HUB, which really takes away the feeling of exploration and adventure. The story is lacking, but Caius is a great villian. Combat is pretty much the same as in XIII, but the monster collecting is fun.
    The soundtrack is... different from the rest in the series, but I liked it.
  91. Aug 7, 2012
    Very different to FF XIII, instead of being an exclusively story centered game, this one is a player centered game allowing you to roam around, solve puzzles, play minigames and pick monsters as your battle allies. The story is centered around two new and very well developed characters, Noel and the antagonist Caius in addition to Serah whereas Lighting only makes some brief appearances.Very different to FF XIII, instead of being an exclusively story centered game, this one is a player centered game allowing you to roam around, solve puzzles, play minigames and pick monsters as your battle allies. The story is centered around two new and very well developed characters, Noel and the antagonist Caius in addition to Serah whereas Lighting only makes some brief appearances. While the world is a lot smaller than that of XIII it still manages to give about a max of 70 hours of gameplay. The 2 points it loses are because of the low challenge, the graphics not improving and the occasional poorly written dialogue. Expand
  92. Oct 11, 2012
    this game is sweet i loved every moment of it dont beleive the idiots saying it sux they r just nerdy **** who dont know wtf they r talking about so if u liked ffxiii then ffxiii 2 is for and if didnt like ffxiii then fk off and dont play this game go play the old **** in ur mothers basement
  93. Oct 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. FF13-2 is strictly better than his predecessor. They added town, side quests and a less linear story.
    However, combat are still as boring as FF13 (the addition of monsters in the team is great but the fact that you are forced to use both main characters kills the customization options) and the ending is.... well..... they are making another FF13 game so it says it all...
  94. Jan 22, 2013
    This game it´s better in the gameplay section than the original final fantasy xiii, the storytelling it´s a bit slow but it´s enjoyable. What´make´s this game so annoying it´s that you only have two main character´s in your party completely forgetting the leading role of the memorable characters from the previous installment, and a story that isThis game it´s better in the gameplay section than the original final fantasy xiii, the storytelling it´s a bit slow but it´s enjoyable. What´make´s this game so annoying it´s that you only have two main character´s in your party completely forgetting the leading role of the memorable characters from the previous installment, and a story that is cut at the end to reach the climax, leaving unfinished plot in the worst way possible,. however I recommend the game to fans from Final Fantasy, it wont disappoint. Expand
  95. Jul 18, 2013
    I was so disappointed with FFXIII that I almost didn't get this one. But it was surprisingly good. Felt like SE has begun to return to what made the FF series great. It's a step in the right direction. Combat system is much better (and that was good in the original). Story is immersive and characters are likable. The pet system is extremely good. Best thing is that it isn't linear.
  96. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me start by saying that FF13 was pure crap and the worst Final Fantasy game ever made, so no one was more surprised than me by how much fun I had playing 13-2. It is not perfect but a vast improvement over its predecessor & definitely worth getting, especially since used copies currently run about $13 at Gamestop.

Squeenix fixed a lot of what was wrong with FF13, which gives me some

Squeenix fixed a lot of what was wrong with FF13, which gives me some hope for the future of the company. The story, dialogue & main characters are much better, the maps are not brutally linear and actually contain secrets & treasure to hunt down, and there is a ton of optional content.

In 13-2 you play as Serah, the sister of no-personality Lightning from 13, and Noel, a time traveler from 700 years in the future. These two are your two main party members for the entire game and this is actually a good thing. They are better characters the entire rest of the cast from 13 combined and are superbly voice acted, as well.

The plot of 13-2 is essentially FF: Doctor Who, which again isn’t really a bad thing. Noel picks up his companion, Serah, and they go gallivanting through time & space together. Where things get interesting is that your actions change future locations & create parallel realities. You can freely visit any area you’ve unlocked and can also “reset” each one to play through story events in a different way to pick up missed items. The narrative stays remarkably cohesive despite all the jumping around in time. I only regret that no romance develops between Noel & Serah b/c they have much better chemistry than Serah does with her fiancée Snow from FF13, who is a giant tool box.

While the game’s proper ending is, unfortunately, little more than a cliffhanger designed to get you to buy the upcoming FF13-3, there are a bunch of alternate endings you can unlock after beating the game and they are done in a clever way. Instead of creating confusion about which one is the “real” ending, these are all parallel reality endings that generally don’t go so well, showing that the “real” ending is probably the best one.

Mog the moogle makes a return to the series, too. He’s mostly included for comic relief (as well as inexplicably turning into Serah’s weapon during battle) but feels like part of the group thanks to some good writing. He even has an invaluable and funny use during field exploration where you throw him around to find treasure amidst protesting squeals of “Kupo!” A bit on the cutesy side, but any FF series veteran will appreciate his inclusion.

The third member to round out your battle party is a monster of your choice, which you can capture and train up with special materials that can be bought or won from battle. Think of this as FF: Pokemon. Not a terribly original idea, but one that Squeenix executes very well. Almost every monster in the game is capable of being captured, which is incredibly cool, and the growth system is quite deep.

There is even a Gold Saucer-esque area where you can gamble and race chocobos. The system is not as in-depth as the breeding found in FF7, but you can race chocobos you tame in the wild and they will perform better if you level them up the right way. I found the racing to get repetitive, but luckily you don’t have to do it that long to get the best rewards from it.

There are also a ton of “fragments” to be collected through defeating special bosses, completing quests or simply finding them like treasure in certain areas. Collecting them serves a variety of purposes such as powering up a set of weapons and unlocking special skills.

The battle system is still one of the game’s negatives, however. It’s built on FF13’s combat engine, which is not a good thing. It’s admittedly better and sports a few improvements but you still feel like more of a spectator than anything else b/c the game feels like it’s playing itself.

The music is another sticking point. It is terrible almost all the way through; even worse than the music in FF13, which is saying a lot. It swings between wildly inappropriate and teeth-grindingly annoying.

To end on a high note, the graphics in 13-2 are even more stunning than those in 13. This is a beautiful game. So much so that there are only two FMV scenes and you’ll hardly notice. Everything else is rendered in-game. I bought a couple of the DLC outfits and was blown away by them. They aren’t merely palate swaps on the same skins but totally new & different outfits. I routinely forgot they were wearing the DLC clothes since they are seamlessly integrated into the in-game cutscenes, so it’s a shame that all the new weapons you get during the game are only palate swaps.

There are even some extra DLC packages and a battle coliseum to play around with, but this review has gone on long enough. Bottom line is that if you hated FF13 like I did but you like Final Fantasy, you will enjoy 13-2. Pick up a used copy and you won’t regret it. Here’s hoping they don’t break the series again when 13-3 is released!
  97. Apr 11, 2016
    FInal Fantasy used to be the pinnacle of 'next generation' videogame during the PS 1 era.....but something along the way was lost...Square Soft seemed to lose their connection with their own customers. I remember back in the PS1 days, Square was the best game developer there is...Every game that they made were gold, even outside FF! Yes, FF 13 part 1 and 2 looks amazing, but it feelsFInal Fantasy used to be the pinnacle of 'next generation' videogame during the PS 1 era.....but something along the way was lost...Square Soft seemed to lose their connection with their own customers. I remember back in the PS1 days, Square was the best game developer there is...Every game that they made were gold, even outside FF! Yes, FF 13 part 1 and 2 looks amazing, but it feels 'awkward'. They're not immersive...You don't get sucked into the worlds as you used to. Expand
  98. Apr 12, 2016
    the best of the trilogy by far, the soundtrack is amazing, and the action base battle system is very improved in this one, it remind me of chrono series a bit but in current gen
  99. Feb 1, 2012
    Much like only a biased hater would give Final Fantasy XIII-2 a 0 rating, only a fanboy would give it a perfect 10. Let's be honest, it is not a bad game and you can definitely enjoy it - if you let yourself - but it's certainly not the highlight of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Most issues with the first game have been fixed in some way or another and even though, if you look for them, you will find a few new problems, there's nothing game-breaking. I could go through a list but really, all you need to remember is that you cannot trust reviews and that the only way to truly know if a game was worth your time is to play it yourself.

If you have enjoyed previous installations to the Final Fantasy series, you don't owe it to yourself, but you should definitely give yourself the opportunity to find out if you can't enjoy this one too.
  100. Feb 26, 2012
    I hear people saying this game is so much better than the original 13. But, is it? It makes something different, that's for sure and "improves" on what people criticized in the past. But, if this game is good is because it picked up on what a PHENOMENAL game stopped. XIII-2 is good, fact. But, for me, XIII was way better. It had a more cohesive story, epic, compelling. We actuallyI hear people saying this game is so much better than the original 13. But, is it? It makes something different, that's for sure and "improves" on what people criticized in the past. But, if this game is good is because it picked up on what a PHENOMENAL game stopped. XIII-2 is good, fact. But, for me, XIII was way better. It had a more cohesive story, epic, compelling. We actually understood what was going on. With XIII-2 we have Serah (who is very vanilla) and Noel (who is a better character) and a confusing story that appears not to be going anywhere. I enjoyed XIII-2. But it only made me miss XIII and who good it actually was back in the day. Expand

1. May 4, 2012
    All in all, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2 – it was a fun RPG game to play, looked spectacular and ate up a significant amount of my free time. It didn't give me everything I wanted out of the experience, but I still had fun.
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    FFXIII-2 earns its score with aplomb, and I'd go so far to call it a sleeper hit. It's a genuinely great-playing game with an imperfect story, though to its credit, it eventually engages and justifies the wait. Its greatest battle now is escaping from the shadow and stigma of its big brother, but you should ignore the anti-hype, take a leap of faith and give it a chance.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 4, 2012
    Has made some really solid steps forward in combat but needs a more readily digestible plot to entice newcomers. [March 2012, p68]