7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2036 Ratings

1. Aug 24, 2010
    Before buying FF13 I knew of two crushing facts about it - no overworld map/controllable airship and extremely linear gameplay. One of the main reasons I bought a PS3 was for this game, so even after learning of the disappointments I still gave it a try. Now I've been an rpg fan for a long time. Playing through Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Secret of Mana were some of the most memorable expereices I've had. These games have a certain charm, a certain soul, that I believe Square has lost. Indeed, the brilliant minds behind these games are no longer working together (Sakaguchi, Amano, Uematsu, etc.). FF6 I believe was the pinacle, with my enjoyment declining with each subsequent release. There's something quite endearing about the old overhead-view and world maps. You're able to take it all in, your imagination turns, and you feel a real sense of the universe that's being portrayed. But now because of cut-scenes, fixed viewpoints or locations, and flashy graphics we're given a much more controlled and limited environment. With that said, I did enjoy FF7 and I wish they would have stuck with that format at least. I honestly cannot comprehend how they thought taking away a free-roaming world and airship travel would be received well by fans. Actually, I'm sure they realized it wouldn't be, but instead did not care and opted to appeal to a newer generation, thus making more money. Overall, this Final Fantasy is not for me, and I am ok with that. But it is a shame that the days of Final Fantasy as I knew it are gone.

Ok, as far as FF13 goes... after 15 hours of playing I have completely lost interest. The story is the only reason I played this far, though at this point I feel as though I understand it enough to not continue with it. The major things that prevent me from finishing are the core gameplay (as I mentioned earlier) and the characters. The characters have stupid names. There I said it. Vanille, Snow, Lightning... Anyone of those is fine by itself but all 3 together? They act too childish. And with all their action, vibrancy of colors, their whining and shouting, I am somehow still left with a vapid taste in my mouth; not to mention how annoying some of the voices are. Most everything about this game comes off as way too contrived. Another thing that has not sat well with me since it was introduced are fight scenes, or cut-scenes in general. This is just a way of making the game more presentable and easier to consume by the masses, who by and large appreciate this and find it entertaining. I do not. I am not a huge movie/television fan to begin with so it does not appeal to me in the least. Maybe a few cut-scenes here and there are fine (like with FF7), but when it's done as much as it is in FF13 you feel as though you're playing an interactive movie, and in an essence that is really what it has become. So if you are new to Final Fantasy, I urge to to take a look at the older ones (or older Squaresoft games like Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana), and try to have some patience and imagination and I am sure you will find a much more rewarding experience.
  2. May 15, 2012
    Final Fantasy 13 is a real disappointment. The characters are despicable and flat. Actually, if you would take a typical JRPG character, peel away all the game-specific personalization, cast some cheesy american voice actors and put on some typical japanese RPG clothes, you would end up with the characters of FF13.

The story linearity is so frustrating you're ending up hitting X
    frenetically to get by the battles just to see if there's something else at the end of the tunnel. But there isn't. The voice acting is depressing and unrealistic, the satiric FF humor is completely gone and there's no sign of trivia nor exciting hidden quests nor interesting plots besides the main one. Sure, the graphics are stunning at first and the battle sequences really look gorgeous, but it's all emptied out during the first gaming hour and you end up on some kind rave from the 90s where absolutely everything glows, twinkles and sparks, leaving absolutely no surprises visually.

The only positive thing with Final Fantasy XIII is that the next installment (besides FF13-2) will be better. Really, this is feels like something put together just to show off what the crystal tools for PS3 are capable of.
  3. Jul 12, 2011
    i heard such mixed reviews from my friends and other on this game that i waited awhile to buy it and since sqaure's track record hasnt been very good lately on RPG's. the first thing ill say is wow the graphics are fantastic it looks amazing . then you start playing and you are like huh? what the hell is going on? and after 7 hours i was still asking myself that . the combat system just sucked and sucked so hard . honetsly this makes FF8's combat system look kinda good . the ability to control only 1 charicter just burned me . when i play a RPG i want 100% control on what my party is doing . not i control the leader which by the way swiches up every 30 minuites and annoyed the living hell out of me and have my other 2 party members doing what they want. so what they have instead is this switch tactics mode which feels so very very very very very off and HORRABLE! i mean usaully i can get through a crappy combat system if the story is solid like FF8 i mean that combat system in that game sucked but the charicters and story are very well done and i could get past that . but after 7 hours of going WTF IS GOING ON!? i couldnt do it any more . i mean the charicters seemed like they might get intresting and they wernt badly voice acted at all but after 7 hours i just couldnt care any more . Expand
  4. Oct 23, 2010
    You know I can understand why some people would see the Environmental linearity as a plus; it keeps the action rollicking along at a fair pace. Okay. Sure, I can accept that. But what I most certainly do not understand is how anyone could not take issue with (perhaps their Zombies?) the phased linearity of the character progression. No sane person would enjoy constantly using the same 3 skills for hours. Expand
  5. Jan 16, 2011
    Seriously one of the worst games I have ever played. Why would anyone want to play a game that involves pushing 1 button. On top of that the story line is very weak. Don't waste your money.
  6. Aug 16, 2010
    Gamepro descriped this game best: "a long hallway toward an orange target symbol on your mini-map that triggers a cutscene, a boss fight, or both. Frankly for the first six chapters I thought this game had longest tutorial ever, with total lack of towns, exploration or people to talk to. In short anything fun. There are some good points in the game of course. Story isn't horrible, it isn't anything to write home about either, and combat is much improved, however all together game is just bad even with all the improvements. If you want to play final fantasy I suggest you play any other number from I-XII, they are all better than this one. Expand
  7. Oct 15, 2010
    This game sucks linear boring levels, garbage characters except for the **** he was funny.
    Weeabo wana be slants will only like this game. egggggggggggggggggggggg eggggggggggggg
  8. Jan 3, 2011
    Se claims the disappointment with this game is western audiences expecting open worlds. In truth this is a bad game even for JrPG and FF fans. So linear, confusing and boring story, battles that require you only to monitor classes if you wish, horrible characters...its all so bad. I want to love it but I can't . Skip this.
  9. Feb 28, 2011
    The Final Fantasy series has been on a decline ever since the release of FFX. This is just another push in the wrong direction. Hopefully Versus XIII will be better.
  10. Jun 29, 2011
    Final Fantasy is dead. This game is proof. It's a boring slog through one long corridor with little to no attention from the player. Everything is dumbed down to the point where an 8 year old could beat it with both hands tied behind their back. The storyline is needlessly complicated and just non sensical and all of the characters are insufferable. The creative well at Square Enix has been dry for a long time and this game shows it. Long gone is Sakaguchi and all that is left is a bunch of amateurs drowning in a kiddie pool. This series has become a joke. Expand
  11. Dec 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I tried hard to like this game but no, FF13 is meant for people who like movies where they can interact a little, if you like to play an j-rpg where you actually are holding the controls this isn't for you, this game was meant for people who decide oh golly what is on the television while hitting the x-button on the controller.
    Even though you can choose paradigm's later on it still has so little impact, there is no reason to do anything else than choose a good paradigm then auto-attack to win since it takes a lot longer to stack different attacks, and since the AA chooses the best ones automatically there is no need for that.

Characters.... you hate almost everyone one of them since most of them are irritating and annoying, Hope is this whiny brat who is such a huge mama's boy, vanille is this girl who accidentally smashed his happy pills with depressants and hogged everything in. Snow is just a normal brute who got brain of an oyster. Now this is only 3 of the very boring.
    in conclusion they did character design wrong, i'm supposed to remember, but instead you gave me these champs that you want me to like but tried too hard.
    And the early part where hope see's his mom dropping to her death is not sad it is fu**** irritating first you see she is dropping hope is like NEJ! then after snow drops no biggie. in later of the game you can see hope blaming snow for killing his mom...... mind-blown... genius story telling.

Story:
    They say you can forgive a lot of a game if it has a good story. I call bs on this one. I like a good story in a video game. I can forgive some story if the game-play is good and vice versa. but the problem is story is told so boringly. if they would throw me constantly with a flowing story i would appreciate it. Here it is part of a story followed by a loooooong and i mean LOOOOOOOOOOOONG corridor with nothing in it, you get baddies, some random lines, but there is no main plot inserted here. The only reason why there are long a** corridors is.... there is none. it feels like busy work. but on with that in a sec.
    so in the end. the story would maybe been good. but i just could not play long enough to enjoy it.

Game-play:
    Simply.... there is none. As for roaming there is nothing. Only hallways, long hallways.
    Battle system? there is no challenge, all you do is hit x. but sometimes on boss battles you get a hard blow on your squad so what you do? if i remember right.. R1 up X X X X X R1 down X X X X... Repeat that for like 40 or 50 times and bam you win the boss battle. As i said there is no challenge, and boss battles don't differ in any way... Or maybe in one way. they are 100 times longer.

In the end. you don't control the game, you just watch it from a distance ask if you can do anything you pat the game 3 times in the head and sit back.

Overall:
    It delivers nothing, if you can see i typed something wrong on the details THAT is just because that is the impact this game has left me... absolutely nothing.
    In games i respect quality over quantity. I hate when there is little quality and so much useless content. Wonder where the 1 singer star comes from?
    There is nothing good in this game. characters are forgettable, story is told slowly, graphs were nothing extraordinary (dunno why people praise this game for graphs). music is horrible AND forgettable. Leveling up system is busy work, the interaction of merchants and shopkeeper's have been deleted. EVERYTHING i love bout j-rpg's is gone in this game. This is no j-rpg, this is an slightly interactive document, a boring one that is
    and the challenge is all gone, POOF TO THE GULAG, boss appears, you die. you did not save? no worries since there was a checkpoint 10 ft away and you can keep all your stuff and exp.....
    There is no penalty
    Wonder where the 1 point comes from?
    the 1 point comes from the battle themes violin part, i actually liked that. But i'm a sucker for violin played themes.

So who can i recommend this movie? People who don't have anything ANYTHING at all to do.
    Retards
    Casual gamer's, those kinds of casual players who think solitaire is hardcore.
  12. Jan 14, 2011
    What a waste of money. Only a FF fanboy could like this drivel.
    Amazing graphics. Silly story. Mindless combat (kept waiting 4 combat 2 get interesting). Annoying cliched characters. Good voice acting.
    Worst rpg in long time. Dragon Age is way better. Hell, Eternal Sonata is better (combat has element of strategy).
  13. Jan 28, 2011
    I feel exactly the same way like Igndsgn
    Final Fantasy has lost they soul. The last good Final Fantasy was FF9, and FF8 was a total crap, a little better them this ridiculous FF13.
  14. Apr 10, 2011
    Final Fantasy XIII is probably one of the biggest disappointments of the 7th generation of gaming. Role-playing elements are inexistent, combat mechanics are anything but innovative, you need very little strategy and tougher enemies are beaten with the same formula you use with weaker ones. Its level design is simplistic and uninspiring. The story is cliche and boring, so as the characters. Everything is told with cutscenes making the player feel that there's a wall between him/her and the game world. In-game visuals are average at best and the soundtrack is forgettable. Square Enix's only purpose to make Final Fantasy XIII was to tell a story but forgot it was supposed to be a game. Expand
  15. Apr 1, 2011
    Poor game. To call it a game is an insult to the modern video game. I played FFX and FFXII and loved them both. I'm not one of these anti-progress types who insists that games from 20 yrs ago are better. As I said, I loved FF XII and the main reason I bought the PS3 was this game. In the meantime I played Oblivion and thought 'this is amazing, just think how amazing the new FF could be!!'. It could have been amazing but it was terrible. It's basically a nice looking, barely interactive movie with a poor story. The player's input into this game is so limited. You follow the line on your mini map fighting utterly boring battles, just waiting for the next cut scene, waiting for the game to come alive. Never once did I give up hope that all the mundanity was a pre-cursor for an explosion of the usual FF charm, ingenuity, beauty (more than surface beauty), incredible story, characters. I had faith but I was horribly let down. This is nothing more than a badly acted soap opera. Awful. Expand
  16. Jul 14, 2011
    This is definitely my least favorite final fantasy game, and I've played them all. I had previously felt that FF12 was a real let down, and playing this made me sincerely miss 12. It was that bad. None of the characters were interesting at all, Vanille was annoying as hell to listen to, the plot was not particularly interesting, nor was it told very well, and the music was not at all memorable (which to me is perhaps the biggest let-down since the music of the previous games was arguably the best part). There were no towns to explore, shops to visit, NPCs to interact with, side quests to perform, or other basic RPG elements. The leveling system was really dumb: the tried to give the illusion of choice by having a pathway with branches so you could either pick like HP+200 or Str+50 for example, but each branch was only 1-2 elements long, so it's not like you could choose different ways to specialize your characters. The battle system was horrible because you really couldn't tell what was going on. Often I would upgrade a weapon or learn a new spell and try to use it in battle to see how much damage it did, but there are so many numbers flying all over the place it was really hard to tell who was doing how much damage with what. It basically devolves into mashing 'X' and switching to a more defensive paradigm if you're getting hurt too much. For all final fantasy games until this one, when the game was over I felt sad for a little while, like I wished it would continue because I missed the characters and places. When this game ended, I was glad I would never have to touch it again. I felt like I had finished a homework assignment. "That's done, now I can go do something fun." Please don't waste your money on this crap, and don't let square enix think it's okay to butcher their series like this. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2011
    Industry leading graphics, really good music (minus that disgusting fruity-pie song that was "popular" for a bit), and some really great menus and options. But why the failing score? For starters; the cast is completely forgettable. The story is predictable and poorly dialogued. And the game is very much on rails most of the time. The inventory system overall feels overly-simplified. Actually, the main problem here is: everything essential about this game seems too streamlined and simplified. I've been hoping since FF8 that the series would grow in complexity and challenge, and offer me an even bigger open-world to explore. But what's happened is that SE is only interested in making things "more accessible" to gamers. In this case it shows. And it shows way too much. No open-worlds to explore, just graphics, graphics, graphics. A boring, cheesy, lame-charactered snore-fest that should have never been included in the Numbered Series of FF. Not where games (especially RPGs) should be headed. It's an interactive movie with battles tacked on, with a weak character building system and world. This game broke my faith in the franchise. The final nail in the coffin for me. Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2012
    The characters are uninspiring, flat, and disappointing. They're a badly cobbled-together cookie-cutter Jrpg bunch, and in a way that does no credit to the genre. The world is nonsensical. SE clearly has the money to put out eye-popping visuals -- why not spend a bit more time and make a good story/compelling narrative/creative world? Instead, they gave us a rehashed plot with blow-up dolls for characters. Disgusting and disappointing. If you're a FF fan, or a RPG fan: run from this game. Expand
  19. Jun 7, 2011
    So finally picked this game up after waiting for it to drop in price after reading alot of reviews. I thought they might have been just final fantasy haters. But 6 hours in, and I am about ready to snap this disc in disgust. Annoying characters, terrible story, and so damn linear its not even funny. In fact I can't think of any point up till now where I've had to make a choice story wise. The combat isn't too bad and I like the system they have implemented, just a shame that everything else fails. Shame Square-Enix. Expand
  20. dz9
    Jul 22, 2011
    Starting off my review, I must say that the reason why I give this so low of a score is not because Square made changes to FF that took the franchise in a different direction... it's because the changes they made were terrible. I understand Square has to evolve FF to a more action styled experience to accomodate to the times and to compete with bioware games... so it was no surprise that the turn based style was more active. Although they evolved the game, they should not have completely left everything that made FF so special; guided yet open exploring, deep engaging characters, incredible story, immersive world, and strategic gameplay... And only one of those was even close to being fulfilled. The characters were all cliche's: Lightning was the tom-boy, Fang was the clone of Lightning, Hope was the vulnerable child, Snow is the jar-head, Panille is the free spirit, and Sazh is the only character who contains depth. That is honestly all they tell you about the characters, and that's also all you need to know. As for story, the story was not BAD, mainly because it wasn't even really there, the story is vague and barely engaging at all, and the pacing is awful. The only real story development is actually character development, which I have already stated that the characters are uninteresting empty shells. As for the open world? Simply put...THERE IS NONE. The world the game puts you in looks nice enough and on the exterior seems amazing but due to the lack of characters, story, and the extremely linear feel of the game... the seemingly awesome world is reduced to nothing. The gameplay is really the only place the game shows innovation. Don't get me wrong, it's far from perfect, but for Square's first "crack at it," it presents a good milestone for them to improve and perfect in later titles. The main drawback to the gameplay is the level up system, you are held back to "level up" by milestones in the story. Example: You cant excede level 1 warrior until you reach the next chapter even though you have enough crystal points. And for the game mechanic titled "Paradigm," it promotes side jobs but the level up system punishes you for venturing into side-jobs... it's extremely counter intuitive. For example: For Lightning to level up her warrior to level 1 costs 10,000..... but for Lightning to level up Sentinel to level 1, will cost 1,000,000. This by itself does not RUIN the combat , but all the minor flaws with the combat do add up. The Good: Although graphics are nothing more than scenery, the game is gorgeous and presents a lot of detail in design. And square does-in-fact show a few innovative ideas which however werent entirely capitalized on. The Bad: Simply put... Square takes away everything that FF fans and RPG fans alike would expect. If this game was any other RPG game, i would give the game a 5.5/10, because it does have a few fun moments and amazing graphics. But for the final fantasy game it was suppose to be, it's barely worth a rent at redbox Expand
  21. Aug 26, 2011
    The worst game quality/price that i had ever played. Only graphics game. Really hard end it. In the beginning i was expected, some hours later i was deathly bored. Frustrating pay more than 100 euros for it + guide. The worst buy in my life.
  22. Oct 1, 2012
    This game is the abomination of everything Final Fantasy has ever been. You liked FF for its deep characters with interesting substories? Here you have lame characters with lame stories, a bunch of idiots that journey together almost without a reason (there is a reason, but, guess what, it's lame and thrown in there just to give the player a party). You liked FF for its cities, shops, npcs full of informations? All gone to hell: no explorable cities, no shops, almost no npcs. You liked FF for its immersive, complex and strategic combat system? **** it, just press "X"! You liked FF for its methods to acquire new abilities for the characters? There you go: the lamest progression method EVER. You liked FF for the summons? They changed every single one of them and made them totally useless in battle. You liked FF for the explorations? Sorry, only long corridoors interrupted by boss fights and/or cutscenes. You liked FFfor its epic score? Enjoy the lamest score ever put in a FF. You liked FF for its replay value and its mini-games? Only mini-game: go to point A, acquire mission, go to point B, defeat monster, return to point A, get the reward. You liked FF for the plots? FF XIII plot starts confusing, evolves intriguing and ends lame and incomprehensible. You liked old FF? Stay the hell away from this piece of s*it. Expand
  23. Oct 30, 2012
    Here is a game riding in on all the fame and glory of the final fantasy series. A legedary rpg franchise with core elements weve come to expect. Towns with npcs stores with weapons and gear not to mention the large story and history filled worlds.....all of which are absent from this entry. Only having controll of 1 character is the first of my dissapointments followed immediately by the healing after every battle factor. In past games youd stock up on phoenix downs potio.s and ether before setting out giving it the true feeling of a journy to come. This game simply heals you entirely after winning the fight which is a serious downgrade to the nature of the game. Next is the summons being transformers.... And of course the fact that the game is 1 set path with no towns or npcs. All stores are on the save cubes making it feel more like shopping at amazon than an ff game. These are just basic rpg elements to emmerse you in the world but dont exist at all here. I wonder how many people noticed that various soundtracks from every ff game ever made were absent as well. The story was ok but several enemies that looked to be interesting only showed up once removing the feeling of having that non final boss arch enemy. Another dumb down factor us paradigm shift. In previous games the class system provided you with the meens to build or use prebuilt classes so you coukd structure the most efficient team. However with paradigm shift everyone can be every class all at the flick of a button mid fight. The combat system LITTERALLY plays itself. Set everyone to ravager and stagger the enemy then switch to assult and kill them. This meens boss fights can be won without looking at the screen when rotating between the 2 with a full medic paradigm in between. Auto attack lets your character do the most effective attacks without you ever even having to think. The game has lost all the rpg elements created a combat system that requires no thought a healing system removing the need to stock items and the lack of a mana bar to pay attention too. Its the perfect final fantasy for any 2nd grader with downsyndrom Expand
  24. May 20, 2011
    This game got high praise because of its name, and because it's got very shiny graphics. As a game, it fails. Player involvement is minimal, and uninteresting when it does actually need you. There's no exploration at all, and for most of the game not even a need to go any direction other then forward. As a corridor simulation it's great, though.
  25. Mar 3, 2013
    I can't stand to play more, and I've gotten about 6 and a half hours in. I don't need to explain my rating, as every other review giving this a mediocre rating contains exactly what I would say.
  26. May 14, 2011
    The dream that Square ever has brought us, definitely it has over. There isn´t trace of the great components that que has make great games. Since we see a game play very rigid, sometimes the battles are funny, but there no more. Linear as a few, the game weary, bore and tire. The composition of the BSO is only his salvation of burn.
  27. Jul 24, 2011
    To put in simple, this is not a final fantasy, this is not even a jgdr.
    There is no exploration, no freedom in character upgrade, no strategy, no city, no secondary mission, is only a long, very long highway.
    The combat system is spectacular but very ripetive, you can win almost battle with the same formation, with one button only. you may need just one or two more formation for the boss
    battle. The gameplay is surprisingly linear and in the end very boring besides the the difficulty of the game is too low.
    The characters don't leave you anything and soon you forget them, especially they are very poor if you compare with the glorious character of the past (cloud, terra, tidus).
    The story may be attractive but is too confused and the characters with there poor dialogues don't help.
    Is my personal opinion but i believe that this game don't offer anything beyond the graphycs, is better replay the real Fianal Fantasy, FFVI-VII-VIII-IX-X, the game of the squaresoft.
    Probably the Final fantasy Saga, the real Final fantasy games, is dead.

PS sorry for my English.
  28. May 11, 2012
    This is not what Final Fantasy is supposed to be. If anything, this is Final Fantasy for Dummies. There is no exploration, no leveling up, and no incentive to keep playing. The story is boring, the gameplay is UTTERLY linear, and the characters are annoying. Not only that, but it is way WAY too easy at first, then takes a drastic jump in difficulty. As for the individual characters, Hope is so annoyingly whiny he should be named Shinji, Vanille sounds like she's making sex noises all the time, Snow says stupid idiotic one-liners like "Heroes don't quit!" ALL THE TIME, Lightning goes through mood swings you wouldn't believe, and Sazh... well, I liked Sazh. He was funny, and the only character that didn't actively annoy me. I could forgive this game its shortcomings if the battle system actually required much input, OR if you could actually explore the beautiful environments, OR if it were more focused on gameplay and less cutscenes, OR if it were actually fun. Honestly this game came across as nothing more than Squenix trying to make a movie but failing, and then deciding to turn it into a game. If this is the big fantastic HD Final Fantasy game people have been clamoring for for years, then give me PS1 graphics back. Maybe then, a little more effort could be put into the gameplay. A mark of a good game is one that I can't wait to play again. THIS game, however, I can't wait for Gamefly to receive so they can send me my next game. Now excuse me while I go play a real RPG, like Xenoblade. Expand
  29. Sep 21, 2011
    Major disappointments with this game. It doesn't live up to expectations from the previous series. Boring storyline, gameplay, game design, linear straight path for the most part of the game. A real disappointments for those buying a ps3 just for this game.
  30. Oct 14, 2011
    After playing IV to X of Final Fantasy series, I must say that I had such high expectations of this...
    But sadly, the game was just a long long, long movie :/ Played about 5 hrs, then quit.
  31. Nov 4, 2011
    Final Fantasy should be called Final Corridor XIII or Final Hallway XIII. This game is so linear and doesn't live up to the previous Final Fantasy titles at all. Never get this game. Wait for Kingdom Hearts 3 or Final Fantasy versus 13 , because this game is horrible.
  32. Nov 25, 2011
    Like most negative reviewers i was deeply and utterly disappointed with this game. Looking at the amount of positive reviews this got, they just can not be true FFFs. I remember getting this game it was a friday (the day of release) i was extremely excited as i just purchased one of the greatest rpg series around. within 2-3 hours in i HATED it. I've played FF7-10 and within the said time i became completely immersed (read ChristopherC. reviews) in the final fantasy world, but not his rubbish. I hated the characters i couldn't careless about them, in fact i REALLY hoped (no pun intended) hope was killed in the most horrible way. His constant whining was giving me a headache and i still hear vanille's voice when i close my eyes. Also am i the person who felt that the characters DIDN'T actually look like there represented ages?? Snow looked AT LEAST 25+ and serah looked 12. It was disgusting to say the least and i just DIDN'T feel anything for them when serah turned to crystal/ice, i just didn't care at all.

everything from summoning to battles was just out of place and disjointed. RPG is meant to immerse the player make them feel that they are they for the long haul and at the end you'd get a sense of happiness and enjoyment; that the world is now saved. how this game got such a high score when it is soo badly linear is beyond me i don't care how well presented the game FF is all about character development, rich graphics and a happy ending. this game has none of those.
  33. Jun 30, 2013
    It just isn't very fun I'm afraid. Very linear and rather dull. The world is lovely but I cannot explore. The story is interesting but it's hidden in the datalog while the game focuses obsessively on a bunch of characters shouting about the same things over and over again. The gameplay looks great but all I am doing is watching it. It's like the game doesn't want me as a player. Give this once great series a break and just go and make films SE. Expand
  34. Jan 10, 2012
    I played this game for 25 hours. I really wanted to enjoy it. Even after i had heard that it was linear, with no real overworld, I still wanted desperately to believe this was a great addition to a great series of games. Once i got to the 25 hour mark, i realized that I could not go on deceiving myself. The story of the game was fairly engaging, but to understand all of the things going on, there was an encyclopedia that was there to basically enhance your knowledge of the world that you found yourself in. As i spent more and more time reading these entries, I did not feel a connection growing with this world, rather it felt like boring reads that added nothing real to the game. When I play RPG's i tend to enjoy overleveling myself. this allows me to enjoy the story of the game without having to worry about the combat as much. When I discovered that there were caps to how powerful your characters could get at any given point in the game, it was upsetting. The combat itself was much less engaging than just about any other game i have ever played. I found myself analyzing my enemy, and selecting auto-attack over and over again, as the game would pick the best abilities to use anyway, and my input was hardly needed. this removed me further from the actual game, and made me feel more like i was watching a movie than playing a game. One of the things that really hooked me when I started the game was the graphics, but once the allure wore off, i began to realize that amazing graphics, while nice, did not make up for horrible story and gameplay. Square likes to change things up between Final Fantasies, and they definitely did that here. I will not condemn that, they did something innovative and new, even though it did not work out. Expand
  35. Feb 8, 2012
    Final Fantasy XIII is the worst Final Fantasys I have played. I started out with IV and each Final Fantasy follows certain JRPG conventions that have stuck throughout not only the series but also other games because they work. Final Fantasy XIII ditches these conventions to create a more mainstream experience. This makes for an extremely dumbed down game with none of the excitement from past titles and a whole lot of boredom. The list of why this game is bad is so long that it makes me angry just thinking about it. The plot is boring. The characters are uninteresting and the only thing theyâ Expand
  36. Feb 2, 2012
    Purchased the game at launch and in almost 2 years I could not bring myself to finish it. For even a linear RPG it's far too linear. Mazes, dungeons, or instances should never be just strait hallways all the way through. The battle system is basically auto play, and trying to do otherwise will result in failure. I usually like to keep my games, and until the system dies I usually buy new. This game has gone into the small pile of trade-ins of unplayable games. Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2012
    GRAPHICS ARE THE MINOR ASPECT OF A GOOD RPG GAME. Final Fantasy XIII is not a RPG game for me and another million of FF fans. Yes, the graphics made stop playing and stare at the scenario many times, but this is it. The development system SUCKS, It's linear, there is no "level-up". You can't talk to people (actually there are not so many people around to try to speak with). The game is so linear that if someone who never played Final Fantasy before plays it will call it an ACTION game. WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THE MAGICS AND THE KNOWN MONSTERS?!?! The battle system is different, but far, VERY FAR from better than the older series. Side mission? What side mission?! Ah, you mean that cieth stones... Come on... What were they thinking about while they were developing this game?!?! There are no SHOPs, no INNs, only some F%$#&* flying computers where you do everything. Where is that epic harp melody that everybody loves on the Main Menu?! I can't tell more, it's frustrating, I can't believe it, the SquareEnix killed it... You you are a FF fan, pretend this game never existed at all... I gave it 1 only for the graphics, but a prefer to play Final Fantasy 2 on NES than this one... Expand
  38. May 5, 2012
    Even though this Final Fantasy game has beautiful graphics and breathtaking locations it cannot save this entry from being one of the worst. The game structure is too linear and it keeps the game from being any fun. There are no towns, no overworld, no gameplay variety and barely any NPC's (non-player characters) and when the game starts to open up the game you will already have almost completed the game so when it comes to this it is one of those "too little too late" situations...it really upset me. Combat gets way too hard especially the boss fights the bosses feel almost invincible and you will spend hours using the crystarium and upgrading your weapons just to get past a boss, the lack of control in battle is also infuriating because you can only control one character during battle and once the character you are controlling dies then it's Game Over. The story is also problematic all it is is just a bunch of cutscenes crammed together and in turn it makes it feel too much like a long boring movie than a game that is supposed to be enjoyed. Plot twists, characters, and story development are badly done they are predictable and cliche and they screw up in more ways than one. I have been a RPG and Final Fantasy nut for a long time but this entry takes the cake this game does not live up to any of the series standards (apart from the graphics). Whatever Square Enix is doing they driving the series in a bad direction with this entry I had high hopes but they have been crushed big time. If you are a fan of older entries like Final Fantasy 5, 6 or even 7 you are better off playing those but whatever you do avoid this Final Fantasy game at all costs I beg of you. Expand
  39. Aug 13, 2012
    Final Fantasy XIII is awful.

I consider myself a FF fan, but I am not a hardcore fan. I
  40. Jan 16, 2013
    The worst final fantasy game by a long shot. It is essentially a no surprises typical JRPG with the "goofy" characters, the angsty characters, and just the out right retarded characters. The gameplay is also your typical JRPG fair, just grind a **** ton until you win. The level design is just one huge **** corridor repeated over and over again with an occasional reskin, it may branch off occasionally, but you hit a dead end and have to go back onto the corridor. The story is just outright stupid, and I won't even bother explaining it. Not to mention to keep up with the story you have to read a bunch of stupid journal entries, which is fine in small doses, but TO KEEP UP WITH THE PLOT?! **** that. And seriously? an 8.0 for this game? what horse **** it's probably from the final fantasy fanboys who have been spoon-fed the same bull**** for many years and that's all they want to eat now. This series is just dead, there is nothing redeeming about this series anymore, and there is nothing redeeming about the fanbase anymore either. Seriously, this review is gonna get downvoted to hell, all because of some raging fanboys who think "How DARE he insult this perfect game series", well, **** YOU, go back to masturbating to your creepy final fantasy porn, **** head Expand
  41. Feb 7, 2013
    OK, i can go on and on about how much i hate this garbage but lets put my hatred to this game very simple,the entire game is a corridor....Enough said!
  42. Jul 3, 2013
    The timeless score of the series is ditched for J-Pop which sounds dated the moment it was released, the World is nothing more than a pretty painting in the background in which you cannot interact with AT ALL EVER, the story is cliche, the characters are shallow, the voice acting is okay at best, the gameplay is insulting, the strategy is non existent, the ending is, well lets just put it this way, there are three games in the series so tell me how good you even think the ending is, the number of spells are limited, the summons are the worst since the japanese FF 3 (maybe, never played actual the actual FF2 or 3) and they turn into vehicles but guess what, you never get to control the vehicles.

Worst in the series hands down, and downright an insulting entry for the JRPG genre. The strangest part of all is, people are actually defending this title.
  43. Feb 7, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIII is a mess. That simple. It has not only changed the face of the series, but has also damaged the image of the JRPG to the world. With an amazing concept of the floating world above Gran Pulse, where the people have been enslaved by god-like beings called the fal'cie, amazing a beautiful art, as well as memorable and majestic music, the game itself was only destined to fail. Then, what happened? Aren't these things enough to make a good game? No, they aren't. Final Fantasy XIII is one of the most awful and annoying RPG's I've played. Indeed, the game can only be compared to a cheap iOS game in modern days. The story is so boring and confusing, that people can't even get what are Lightning and friends talking about. Not to mention the gameplay, which, again, was a good concept terribly executed. These new Final Fantasy titles are sinning of having extreme complexity, which it is supposed to be good, but this case is not. The gameplay is boring, frustrating and hard for both, simple gamers and hardcore RPG gamers, like me. The great factor that joined all these together, is the linearity of the game. You, are practically not playing at all, as 2/3 of the entire party is played by the AI. The linearity is described by Motomu Toriyama and Square Enix as a "story driven game", but don't cheat on me, it's like if you were playing a visual novel. I can't save much of Final Fantasy XIII, except the great wasted music, as well as the nice visuals, but this time Square Enix, that didn't save your game at all. Expand
  44. May 26, 2013
    It doesn't matter who are you FF fan or not, this game sux anyway. Press X to win gameplay, boring storyline, uninteresting characters, terrible soundtrack... Yeah, CG amazing but i play games, not CG.
  45. Jun 26, 2013
    I'm a bit biased because I'm a FF fanboy but I dont think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it's still pretty bad. But before I start a review a bit of a warning: DONT TOUCH THIS GAME IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING IT ON XBOX. It takes the tiny bit of enjoyability out of the game. The reason? It's not in HD. The box claims it is but thats a lie. Here's a link to an explanation: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

The ps3 version easily contains the greatest cutscene graphics I've ever seen in a video game. As for everything else....its pretty bad. I enjoyed the story and managed to suck up the awful battle system to continue with the story but it really is the only redeeming quality other than the cutscenes. But therein lies the problem, you must first suffer through the battle system to experience the story. Actually, calling it a battle system is unfair. It's not a battle system it's an interactive cutscene where you just mash the X button. Square added an "auto battle" button which essentially ruins the point of playing a video game. You're not really playing the game, the game is playing itself.
  46. Jul 11, 2013
    Utter game. Awful gameplay, terrible story, characters without depth, amateurish dialogues, no sense of exploration or adventure, soporific combat system. This game is so bad that it hurts. It doesn't deserve to be among the Final Fantasy franchise.
    The fact that it got a good score around the professional critic shows how rotten this gaming-journalism industry is right now. Don't be
    fooled: ff13 has gorgeous graphics, but as a game it is really really bad. Expand
  47. Aug 18, 2013
    I've heard a lot of people harp on the complaint of the game being linear however this cannot be true as Final Fantasy X was very linear and achieve greatest, so why did this game utterly fail? There is nothing from with changing mechanics however Square changed their core engagement. Why do you play a Final Fantasy game over every other game?

The two main element would be exploration
    and story with idles of being on a hero's quest perhaps. Now Final Fantasy X was linear however the world varied enough, while juxtaposed with times in towns and peaceful settlements with battles to create a flow while Final Fantasy seem very little various and takes too long for it to happen; run through the same jungle with three difference groups of characters. Now, Final Fantasy X had a slow start for sure but Final Fantasy 13 flat out beats this without tell us anything basic about the world and only leaves us more confused unless we continue or read up on it. The exposition dumps fro Final Fantasy X were annoying but they fit because they were teaching Tidus, a everyman thrust into a new world with us, they were teaching us the player, meanwhile FF13 doesn't want to teach us anything but the world or it's characters. Both FFX and FF13 are linear but FFX had colourful characters and world so we didn't notice or it didn't matter while FF13 has spent all its money on graphics and paid for it.

You can say FF13 got a good score but did it? Every single FF since six has gotten anywhere from 8-11 points above this one so while it could be "good" it is bad as a FF. However, this is where my argument breaks down as I didn't get to finish FF13. I know that the world opens up, and I've seen the gameplay of it, about 20 hours in but honestly to goodness my system caught fire after 18 hours. Perhaps it does get good after this point but than the 18 hour long tutorial was bugging me a bit.

See with the loss of Sekaguchi FF has lot its way. Final Fantasy moved over to the playstation for more disk space and this served them well because they used it to teach a better story while the story here seems best suited to serve the graphics. Maybe there was a story but it wouldn't explain it self or let me in to understand it at all. Instead, I'm on the outside wondering who these people are or why I should care.

I should talk about the simplification of the combat a bit. Now normally the slow turn based menus are great for tactical play and allowing you to control all your characters but the moment you speed things up controlling everyone isn't possible. This isn't bad, games like Kingdom Hearts showed us a good way to do this. However, Final Fantasy 13 throws you in and doesn't explain a thing. Not only that my input on the battles is very loose. Now, again I've seen gameplay of later in the game in which it does appear to get a bit hectic however, does this mean that the first 20 hours are all tutorial? If it was meant for the game to progressive and get harder as we go, well that's a good idea but it never came. 18 hours in and I was still doing nothing but changing classes for when I needed to heal, the curve never came. Also, I must admit being healed to full after every battle killed the game and took all challenge away. I know you want the game to be easy so all can play but all tension is now gone. However, I must admit FF has been off the combat I like for a while. FF9 was great because each character had a set of skills and that was all they had. Not only did they have to work together but it gave the sense that their skill (lets say black magic) was something hard that they had mastered and not everybody and their dog could do it.

If you're just scrolling down to the end to see what I'm going to say I'll repeat. Final Fantasy 13 fails not because it's linear but because it changes the core engagement. I play a FF game for a well crafter stories with colorful characters in a varied world. FFX showed us that linear worlds aren't a bad thing but FF13 shows that that unvaired repeating ones are. While save points that heal you to full made earlier games too easy, being healed after every battle is beyond overkill to take out any challenge or tension. Finally, FFX may have had exposition dumps but it served to explain the world while FF13 doesn't care to. FF13 doesn't care to explain itself at all but throw a bunch of proper nouns at me and never explain a single one nor teach me or give me anything likeable about the cast.

I"LL SAY IT AGAIN. FINAL FANTASY 13 FAILS NOT BECAUSE ITS LINEAR BUT BECAUSE IT CHANGES IT'S CORE ENGAGEMENT!! Everything we love to see in FF game is not here for changes no one asked for and a pursuit of graphics over gameplay, story, or world. This may be the lowest rated FF in the main series in the best 20 years for a reason guys (and only because those games ((FFV)) are being judged by today's standards).
  48. Sep 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. bad game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Expand
  49. Jan 27, 2014
    Final Fantasy 13 is nothing less than pure garbage. It spits on the foundation of RPGs as we know them. It's linear, enough said. Final Fantasy is never linear. There is no customization that doesn't involve formations. I heard that it gets good, but when you've played through 20 hours of boring x-mashing gameplay, and you've just now gotten the entire party together, you say F**K THIS! The characters are bland, the story sucks, and is hard to follow because it's so boring. There is one path, gear is the last thing on your mind, enemies are forgettable. The only thing you remember about the bosses is how long they took. You just mash x, sometimes use a potion, and wait to stagger it. The summons are nothing more than transformers. But that brings me to another point. Why does the main black character dual wield guns, have a summon that transforms into a car, and has a chocobo living in his afro? Why does Square think this is a good game, and give it TWO sequels? Seeing Lightning in Cloud's costume, is a disgrace to the series' former glory. Don't buy this, or the sequels, and if you have any of these games, trash them. They're a waste of time and money. Expand
  50. Dec 29, 2013
    The game's playing itself Jon. The games just playing itself Jon. THE GAMES JUST JON JON JUUUSSAHHHHAHA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahhghbhnhn AHGHAGHNM SAHHWNEUYHUU GGEHH WMEMWNNANH EHEH AHT HWP JUSY APPLAYIG NANFMMAN HHHAJ OON JO N
  51. Feb 11, 2014
    This game is an insult to fans and an insult to anybody who bother to pay for this absolute trivial excuse for a game.
    Final Fantasy is horribly written, has terrible combat and does everything in it's power to make you hate the experience.
  52. May 18, 2011
    Having Played Several FF games over the years i was deeply disappointed in this title, Bland uninteresting Story, Forgettable uninteresting characters, Unengaging Combat that practically plays the game for you.. color me unsatisfied
  53. Mar 4, 2013
    Unbelievable that SE released something like this. Its just going straight running from one cutscene to another and auto battling enemies. The story is not worth to mention, characters are annoying as hell and the soundtrack is the worst, that I ever heard in a Final Fantasy game. The graphics are not that bad though.
  54. Apr 18, 2013
    Firstly, I am a Final Fantasy fanboy. Happy to hold up my hand to admit it. FFVII best game in the history of games.
    Secondly, before giving this a 1/10 I tried really hard to think of a reason to bump it to a 2 or 3, because I tend to see scores like this as being born of ill-considered hostility, rarely accurately reflecting the true quality of the game.
    In all of my 25 years of
    gaming I have never been so upset about a game in my life. I've been disappointed plenty of times. Aliens CM was disappointing. But FFXIII was damn upsetting. Probably because I'm such a series fanboy. I felt -angry- at Square for insulting the Final Fantasy brand with this piece of garbage.

So, rant done, what is actually wrong with it? The problem with FFXIII is that it is the OPPOSITE of everything that was great about the rest of the series. The score I give it is applied with respect to how it stands among the great FFs that it SHAMES by taking their name.

Great characters? Nope. We get vapid, shell-like stereotypes. These FF characters are PARODIES of those that have come before in the least humorous way possible.

Great story-line? Nope. What story-line? The flimsy excuse for a narrative that this 'game' exposed me to for the 30 or so hours that I suffered through, hoping, excruciatingly, in vain that it would improve at some point never seemed to evolve or progress into anything more than a series of inane dialogues and sigh-inducing intermissions between running forwards and 'fighting' clutches of useless enemies (such is my love for the rest of the series that I sat, simmering with growing contempt, through 30 hours of what I can only describe as being like watching a seemingly never-ending scene of someone defecating on your childhood).

Great battle system? The FF battle systems have been revolutionary. What does FFXIII give us? BUTTON MASHING. You will spend the first several hours running up to an enemy and mashing the A button. You'll win, you'll run a bit further, you'll mash that button some more. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat, and you keep hoping that as you gain more abilities, you'll be able to do more stuff, but somehow, someway, the button mashing never seems to end!!

FFXIII gets the 1 point I can bring myself to award it because it is pretty. Well done, Square, you created the prettiest piece of trash capable of enraging me like this since my ex-wife.

SO if you like platform games where you can't do anything but run at an enemy and jam that 'Action' button, and you like RPGs that don't let you go anywhere but forward, and you like story-lines that only make sense if you smoke a little sumtin-sumtin, and characters that make you care about them as much as the that live under your sink, then FFXIII is for you.
  55. Feb 16, 2014
    Do yourself a favor... stop caring about graphics and go play FF7,FF8,FF9. This game was a huge let down...but I expected this after FF10. This isn't a Final Fantasy Game, they should give it a new name. 1. No overworld map 2. Unlovable characters 3. Overly Feminine characters, Emos everywhere 4. Overly complex story that doesn't make any sense Basically, this game lacks the atmosphere of the previous FF series... it doesn't have the Charm anymore.

Rule #1 of FF games: You must have an outstanding Story and the Main characters must be EPIC.... "lightning" lol what a joke.
  56. Jan 2, 2013
    On playing this game, I had many questions about it: why does Square keeps changing for the worse combat systems ever created? Why the story is badly told? Why people think this is action combat when there's an obvious ATB bar? Why the game has positive review when it has nothing positive, except the graphics? The list goes on, and I still wanna know why this game exists. I will admit though, the story IS interesting: the characters are equal in importance (for the most parts) and somehow they all need to be together in order to sucess, which is a LITTLE better than the usual "main protagonist is bettah", even though the game will constantly make us believe that Lightning is the main protagonist (which is extremely bland and totally forgettable, except for the fact she's a girl). But except for the characters there's really nothing good to say, because the game isn't even an rpg: it's more a platform game that has random encounters due to the fact that there's no exploration at all and you'll literally run a hall with basically no detours or places to go. Ok, I lied: there's ONE place that you can explore freely, and that's very late in the game (and ps3 is supposed to have a lot of potential...). The idea of the combat is also interesting, having classes that will do different things, and they are varied enough, but why, oh why, can't we control our characters? You'll just control the leader (which is fixed in the first hours of the game), and only him, while your compagnions will act accordingly to their class, which at least helps (basically a healer will just heal, and nothing else). During the combat you'll HAVE to change classes constantly in order to keep the strategy up (or what's little of it), and unfortunely the swaps are needed because of 2 reasons: 1) even if there's a sort of trinity system (dps, tank, healer), you cannot use all 3 of them because of the small damage you'll do and because you only use 3 characters at time, basically making you use at least 1 mage and 1 melee. And also, another reason why you cannot use the trinity system is...2) THE STAGGER SYSTEM! This is obviously the worst idea ever for this game, and not because it's bad (some other games uses this sort of system too. Just better), but because it needlessly makes battles, even the simple ones, longer than they should be, making the game longer too because of the 10-30 minutes battles (bosses battles are the prime examples). The stagger system basically builds up by attacking with 1 melee and 1 mage at least attacking one enemy (thus the impossibility of the trinity), and once it's builded you'll do extremely high damage, which unfortunely it's NEEDED for defeating the bosses (and some of them are timed too, which means you also need to be fast). Ah, and since the game is very short (without doing subquests, as always), the battle system was probably thought to make the game longer. I really can't give more than 4 for this game: while I hate more FFXII because of the endless amounts of flaws, that game had at least some quality and for a ps2 game was pretty decent. But this is ps3, we expected a great game, and after 5 years of developement, we get a poor RPG with nothing but linear halls and boring combat. Skip this game if you want a good rpg, try it if you are very curious (and I mean very curious), but in any case just...don't expect a good rpg. Consider it a platform game with rpg elements! Expand
  57. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was exceedingly disappointed with this game, I thought the Final Fantasy games were supposed to be wonderful experiences. This sure wasnt.
    Initially I enjoyed the pretty graphics but pretty soon into the game I started to get annoyed with the linear corridors and wave after wave of awful same monsters. The character teams keep switching but the monsters and gameplay sure didnt. Only one way to level and it was to fight thousands of pointless and exceedingly boring monsters. No other form of leveling. The system for improving weapons was complicated and risky and really unrewarding too. The only shops were machines, no other npcs or interactions, I can't understand how this game could call itself an rpg.
    I got really tired of Vanilles squeals and noises during gameplay and her awful accent. Snow was an ass, Hope a misery and the only characters I could enjoy using were Sazh, Fang and Lightening (even tho for most of game she was a leaving the kids to fend for themselves)
    There was no difficulty setting in the game and some of those boss fights got really hard, for a first playthrough I found things getting really stressful as I tried to work out where I had gone wrong in my levelling and weapon development. Looking online I read you have to grind, grind, grind.... (Grinding should never leave mmos, never heard of any good single players with grind, should be able to level with gameplay quests and crafting) Money really hard to get, again the answer to that problem? More grind!
    So to sum up this isnt a game, its an exercise in futility with excessive and painful grinding, a poor story and poor character development enabling little or no emphathy for the existing characters. Totally NOT worth the money and I would not recommend anyone to buy this.
  58. Sep 10, 2013
    I only played it once, can't believe we had to wait for... how long? Oh yeah, FOUR YEARS to hear about a decent new FF game! This game makes me wonder why Squeenix made this the main title instead of Versus aka FFXV. This piece of sad gaming history is flung into the darkest corner of gaming history and will only be remembered for showing game designers how NOT to make games. As a cherry on top of this rotten pie *whispers* I was happy it was finally over. Expand
  59. Oct 9, 2013
    Unfortunately this marked the end for Final Fantasy, for me, personally. Square Enix made the game linear, so much so that the gameplay literally consists of holding forward, and pushing A, oh, and don't forget pressing the start button to skip cutscenes, because the story is NONSENSE. I don't even think Square Enix knew what the story was supposed to be, because the important parts of the story are hidden away in menus. Gotta love that conveyance....

I hate that I am forced to hate this game, I wish it was better, but it just isn't. From the people that made a JRPG series that DEFINED the genre for years, and the people who made my favorite game of all time, this pains me to see this direction. The gameplay and combat is shallow, repetitive, and streamlined to all hell. The story would be predictable if I knew what the Hell was even going on, they leave you in the dark story wise the whole game, and are beyond vague about everything.

JonTron said it best, "The game is a Hallway, a long, boring, uninteresting, vague.,... hallway. AND GAMES SHOULD NOT BE HALLWAYS!:
  60. Mar 13, 2013
    I have been a Final Fantasy fan since I was 10 years old. I was very excited about this game. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Square-Enix no longer exhibits any sort of real inspiration. This game suffers from a number of problems stemming from this one factor. The battle are pretty, but after you become familiar with the patterns it becomes a boring and uneventful slog. The story is mediocre and linear in the extreme. There is little to no exploration or discovery of any kind until near the very end of game, by which point you no longer care. And the characters...Oh, the characters. I would rate a few of them as the most stupidly annoying I have ever encountered in a game. The JRPG melodrama in FFXIII is incredibly cloying and is absolutely terrible. If you care about a solid, interesting, experience, don't play this game. Expand
  61. May 17, 2013
    I have played only a few Final Fantasy games. So ya this was terrible compared to the one other Final Fantasy game. The gameplay was crappy and you felt like the game was almost playing itself. The only real positive to this game was the story. It was the ONLY thing keeping me going. It would have gotten a ZERO if it wasn't for that story. Now in opinion the best part of the game is the story, but this story could not carry the game... Expand
  62. May 3, 2013
    This is game is just aw full! Yes it has amazing graphics but the rest is just wrong. The story is so bad and beside the characters are very well design their personality is just aw full and annoying. The game play is linear and the battle system it looks like it has been butcher. It makes me so sad to talk bad about a Final Fantasy game but it's one is just.....god aw full!!
  63. Nov 27, 2013
    Boasting stunning graphics, many gamers will easily be swayed to believe that XIII is the best Final Fantasy has to offer. However, the game is just too freaking long. When I asked fanboys "dude wtf this sucks isn't there a world map? when does it get decent?" they have acutally responded "aw man dude don't worry keep on chuggin it gets really awesome at about the 30 hour mark". I don't want to wade through 30 hours of absolute cringe to get to something good. What really drives this home is how freaking annoying the characters are. Lightning is supposed to be cool and brooding, but mainly just comes off as square weakly attempting to emulate cloud with added fanservice. The battle system is ok to begin with, but they get far too long and the fact that my party is healed after every battle unexplainably is disgusting. Every thing I loved about Final Fantasy has been thrown down the drain. But still, pretty graphics! ooh shiny Expand
  64. Aug 17, 2013
    I was so excited for this to come out..... I thought I'd be up all night playing it..... After just a few hours I realized it was not a game at all but, just one big lame cut scene.... Walk a few steps, kill an enemy or two, cut scene, repeat indefinitely.... I think this was the most disappointed I've ever been in a game.... Should give it a zero
  65. Feb 27, 2014
    As a long time FF fan I was really looking forward to this game when it was first released. FF XII was a huge disappointment so I was expecting that this game would definitely be an improvement. Sadly, I was wrong. I could not adjust to any of the characters at all. I played this game for 40 hours, didn't finish it and the only character I started to like after several hours was Lightning, once she stopped acting like a total b*tch. One character is total pointless to the story, and the other characters just don't make sense. Years later I found out that if I had kept playing, there would have been a turn in the story and all the characters (except for the earlier mentioned one) would have made sense. but I never reached that point. Maybe I got spoiled by FF VII, IX and X which I played when I was quite younger, but FF XIII was easily the worst I have played. Anyways, I can recommend to give FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns a shot! You don't really need to finish the first game to get the main plot because unsurprisingly they manage to summarize the whole story of FF XIII in a few sentences during the beginning of second game. Expand
  66. Dec 10, 2013
    Jim Sterling from Destructoid called this game a “pompous and masturbatory affair, creating seemingly to promote the developer’s ego first, and the player’s enjoyment second”. Speaking as someone who has been a rabid fan of the series since the very first one on the NES, I’ll say two things: Jim is exactly right, and playing this game broke my heart.

The one and only positive I can give
    FF13 is that it has gorgeous visuals. That’s what the 2-score in my review is for. It fails in every other category so badly that it feels like some other company trying to make a knock-off FF game (think Sony’s Legend of Dragoon for PS1) rather than an officially sactioned entry into the series. It doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as classics like IV, VI, VII, or X. It’s unbelievable that Squeenix is granting an unprecedented two sequels to this game while utterly ignoring, for years on end, pleas from their fans to do a modern-day remake of 7, 6 or even 5.

Why is it so bad? Let me count the ways. First of all, the story is weird & stupid. I stopped caring about it early on and didn’t like any of the characters. Secondly, there is practically no exploration. Almost the entire game is a brutally linear affair, and I mean that quite literally as areas tend to shuffle you through a completely straight path. No exploring towns, no buying weapons from the weapon shop, no hidden dungeon areas with secret chests, etc. Things finally open up at one point, but not for 30 or 40 hours or so and even then, it’s a relatively small environment that is boring to travel through. The music, usually a dependable staple of the series, is terrible as well. I mean, they put words in the chocobo song. Good grief, why? There isn’t a single memorable track.

Gameplay is terrible, as well. There’s not a whole lot of thinking involved and it almost plays itself. The summoning system is truly bizarre (I did a facepalm when I saw the Shiva motorcycle; seriously, WTF is that about?) and the worst the series has ever seen. I played this game for a good, long while, about 75% through, before giving up on it in disgust. To give you some idea of how bad this game is, I didn’t care much at all for the story of FF12, either, but I still had fun with it. FF13 never gave me a moment of enjoyment. The entire package is dull & uninspired and I’m sorry to have wasted money on it.
  67. Oct 5, 2013
    This is not a good FF game. The first 40 hours are spent running in a complete straight line, reading mountainous piles of extra text to try to figure out what's going on and who all these people and different factions and organizations are. The game won't open up for you until you've run in a straight line for 30-40 hours.
  68. Ogr
    Feb 26, 2014
    Seriously, is this a joke? It's not only the worst Final Fantasy ever, it might be the worst RPG on PS3 and 360. How could things go so wrong for SE? A poor world, poor Story, poor Gameplay and poor Characters. Just nothing really good about it. Sounds like trolling or nerd-rage, but it's just how I really see it.
  69. Oct 19, 2013
    Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad.
  70. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the worst games that have come in these last years, simple boring, empty, with characters flatter than a piece of paper.

This is not a Final Fantasy
  71. Nov 26, 2013
    tldr XIII's concept of a beautiful gem that just happened to be covered in a steaming pile of fecal matter by whoever "assisted" with its development that almost completely obscures the excellent core idea. It is not a game because there is no actual fun involved in playing it or watching the non-plot character interactions.

Attention to the story in its current form is only
    recommended in extremely small doses with copious amounts of drugs and/or alcohol, otherwise a loss of faith in humanity and a urge to destroy Japan may occur. The only cure to this is to play FFXIII-2 which will remediate all of these urges except for the realization that it is what XIII SHOULD and COULD have been.

Extended Cut Review
    This game makes me seethe and writhe in frustration because of all the wasted and lost potential. Where to begin?

Frustrating, arbitrary and grueling battle system.
    The "easiest" enemies later in the game take 10-15 minutes each simply due to the vast amount of hp and their damage output. If you don't use autobattle and make it basically a interactive movie with minor control, then combat in this game will be beyond frustrating and irritating. My girlfriend and I are both veterans of the final fantasy series which is to say, since the original game, and into chapter 11 we reached a point where there was literally no reason for bashing our heads against the mechanical system despite a deep desire for both of us to get to the end of all the plot threads dangled. Don't get me started on Eidolon battles and certain bosses if you did not build exactly the way the devs wanted you to, hope you like hearing Vanille and everyone's death cries.

Plot, coherence, and narrative or lack thereof
    There is a intruiging plot backbone in the background which is never fully explored or explained except for a fully formed codex at the start of the game which is interesting but completely detached from the narrative of the game. The character interactions in plot scenes are top notch and compelling, as characters should be, but in the rest of the game they are reduced to mere stereotypical archetypes with completely nonsense exchanges, "observations" and no true character development.

Nothing is explained about why the events that occur occur, even when many examples clearly contradict the game's existing lore and established narrative. Why do the characters get sent where they do and then come back? Never explained, ever. The only explanation to many things that contradict everything else is "power of friendship", which is unacceptable without some further establishment or explanation.

Pacing
    The main criticism of the game from the community has been its pacing. The 30 hour tutorial is not a exaggeration and it is just as frustrating as it sounds, given you only truly "start" the full open proper game in the last 3 or 4 chapters of chapter 13. Compounded with the resounding question of "why are we here?" that is never truly answered, giving any thought to the game will give you aneurisms.

Music and Sound
    The basic battle theme made me want to gouge out my ears. There were a couple of themes that were great, like Snow's, but some of them were completely discontinious like Sazh's. The repetitive battle effects and character combat lines were made worse by the ridiculious length of the battles.Overall, I preferred to listen to something else.

I do not understand why this game is rated inferior to Final Fantasy XIII-2, which is superior to it every way. There was clearly a great conceptual idea that was handed off to a team of incompetent monkeys for implementation of certain core parts who butchered them completely. There were at least two main character writing teams, one for plot events (the great one) and one for side conversations the trash one), which held no standard continuity between the two. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a vast improvement upon the two, with a streamlined battle system that SHOULD have been, a unified narrative, characterization, and a incredible soundtrack.
  72. Dec 27, 2013
    The worst part of the Final Fantasy series ever. The game is just boring. I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, but I'm completely disappointed. Music is weak, what surprising, since each part of the FF can boast a fine soundtrack. Gameplay worse. Just constantly press the X button and directional buttons. The game is very linear. Characters are boring too, without expression No map of the world is a huge minus. The only plus is the graphics and cut scenes, but the locations are boring for me. The title has sold so well probably only because we all flew to the magic of the series. I also I regret. Expand
  73. Feb 21, 2014
    This game was an unfortunate attempt to pander to the LCD of gamers. I have (a slipping) faith in Square Enix, and like to see merit in most anything they produce. Still as a longstanding fan of the Final Fantasy series, and after waiting for years for something to come out after FFXII, this came, at the very least, as a disappointment to me. To me, what makes an RPG good: round, human characters that are able to be identified with; an intricate story that is mysterious (not confusing!); the ability to customize characters; a sort of real-world verisimilitude (shops, inns, money); a requirement for a player to carefully consider his game-play actions that is challenging yet manageable; and an extensive world that allows for exploring and revisitation. FFXIII had very little of these qualities. The story was hardly engaging for me (I didn't give a damn about the l'Cie and that... and I still don't know what Orphan is all about?); the characters were distant and a player doesn't really get to see enough of them to begin to identify with them (Yeah, Lightning, you're an icy wench, we get it); and the biggest irritation was the game play, specifically the battles, which is supposed to be the part where the gamer has most control and actually "plays" was simply a holding down of a singular button to continually select "auto-battle." It wasn't fun, and will probably only be remembered to me as the worst FF game I've ever played. Expand
  74. Apr 12, 2014
    This game was absolutely horrible. It took me a year to get through because the first time I played it, I had to put it down for MONTHS on end because it was so bad. The dialogue is predictable and boring, the story, while it HAD potential, feels like it's nothing more than something a sixth-grader might come up with in their creative writing class. By the end of the game, the entire thing devolves into one big cliche, each character boiling down to nothing more than the few idioms they seem to know. It's also very tunnel-visioned; there's no room to roam around, the game just feels like one long corridor where you go from one cinematic to the next, with little to nothing in between. The battles are endless, and while it is definitely a pretty game, that seems to be all that it has going for it. Expand
  75. Jan 15, 2014
    This is one of the worst games I have ever played. How in God's name it has a 7.7 user score on this site is completely beyond me.

I've heard it said that it gets better towards the end, but something this bad can't be redeemed, regardless of how it ends.

Every character is a pathetic cliche. The battle system is rigid, formulaic, tedious and repetitive. In fact, that describes the
    entire game--a 10-20 minute jaunt through poorly-balanced, often unavoidable encounters against a handful of boring enemies followed by a cut-scene, ad infinitum, all in one giant straight line from point A to point B. I was bored after 30 minutes of this.

The graphics earn it 2 points, even though the hand all look like turds. The fact that they released this game to the public as it is means they aren't even trying anymore. The fact that they are making this cesspool a trilogy means something is horribly wrong with the world.
  76. Mar 3, 2014
    its crap, this is not a true final fantasy, its a movie that make believes its a game, if you are looking for a great game go and pull up the PS network and grab some on the older games in the series.
  77. May 5, 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII felt like a punch to the face for some old school Final Fantasy fans like myself. Final Fantasy characters, although fantasy, used to be relatable. Sorry to get sidetracked; in FF7, Cloud never achieved his dream and coped with this throughout the game. He stole someone else's identity, he broke down, and eventually accepted this and recovered. Cloud was a complex character with flaws; I believe that is a huge reason FF7 was so successful and critically acclaimed. The majority of characters in XIII were shallow and one note. Everyone seemed like they had one singular reason to carry on with the story. This story became bland very fast. There is very little exploration, meaning that the story was critical to pull off; sadly this was not the case. The main reason I am writing the negative review is that this was the first Final Fantasy game that was released that just didn't seem very much like a Final Fantasy game to me at all. Sure, FF12 was a huge departure from where the series started, at least I could understand these changes (although, I felt like FF12 was a way to shift the console fan-base to their MMO's for more profit). Many of the decisions in XIII simply confuse me. There was very little redeeming value here. Lost Odyssey felt more like a Final Fantasy game than this one. Expand
  78. May 30, 2014
    Final Fantasy XIII can summed up with two words; pretentious and lack-luster.

Graphics were technically good, but mechanical, failing to produce an atmosphere. The game play was incredibly linear, driven along by a story which acted more like a train headed to Auschwitz, than an adventure.

The combat in the game was the most disappoint aspect of this game for me, there was no skill
    involved, it was as though the developer thought their audience had lost all ability to play video games, and that they were starting with a group wholly unfamiliar with the concept of gaming.

I hope that this game goes down in history as one of the worst games ever made.
  79. Jun 2, 2014
    I think FFXIII is the worst RPG I ever played. Why ? Well, the story-telling is AWFUL. Not a single character explains anything about the universe, and the reason why the Big Bad want to destroy the world (no spoilers, it's a JRPG) is only explained in a sub-entry inside the game's Codex. The Paradigm Shift system destroys all the preparation of a job-based RPG, since you can change jobs during a fight. The characters are all annoying. don't buy this game. Seriously. Expand
  80. Jul 16, 2014
    This games gets a 2 for being technically functional, that's the best I can say about it. Final Fantasy XIII Is an insult to the franchises heritage and an obvious lazy cash-in by Square Enix who've clearly given up long ago.

Gameplay wise, there really isn't any. The game isn't just linear, it's a straight f*cking line. You walk down a corridor for about 80 hours, that's it. There are
    no towns, no NPCs, no side quests, no exploration, no collectibles, no intrigue... nothing. Crash Bandicoot is less linear than this game. Add in that character customisation is a joke, and combat is so convoluted that you can win everything without even paying attention and you have the most boring game ever. The first 40 hours is a tutorial explaining how the game plays itself, which you can ignore as you can win all the combat by just mashing the X button for the most part. Some people claim the combat opens up in the late game but that's simply not true, it's still just as broken then and once Lightning learns the move 'Army Of One' you can pretty much kill anything through a combination of poisoning and using that one move. There's more tactical decision-making in tic-tac-toe.

So what about the story? What story?! What passes for a narrative is only explained through hidden away data longs that you're not prompted to read, and even with this mountain of poorly written exposition, the story is still an incomprehensible mess with plot holes you could drive a plane through, inconsistencies as standard, character motivations that make no sense, and a world setting that's not explained or explored in any way; mainly because you never actually go there because you never leave the damn corridor.

This is a painfully bad game, don't waste your time on it.

As an RPG, it is an excellent experience that provides a beautifully crafted world and engaging battle system. However, as a Final Fantasy game, it falls short of expectations somewhat.
  2. Ten hours in you might have doubts, but stay with it and you'll be smitten right through to the frankly unbelievable end. [Apr 2010, p.104]
  3. An unexpected Final Fantasy. The 13th chapter has a great story and some of the most incisive characters of the whole series, and even the battle system works very well, being deep and complex (even if you control only a single character). But on the other side the overwhelming linearity of the plot, the absence of cities to explore, and the small amount of side quest will disappoint fans' expectations.