7.0

1. Aug 28, 2013
    Engaging, inspired, complex, gorgeous. So, so many adjectives to describe A Realm Reborn. I am new to the MMO genre basically, I was drawn to FFXIV just because I am a huge fan of the series and have been playing the games since the NES. So I won't get into the mechanics but I am confident it follows a lot of conventional MMO standards, in terms of roles, dungeons PVP/PVE etc. This game is UNBELIEVABLY ADDICTIVE. I've been playing since Beta3 and it just got better and better and more consistent. There is just so much to do... it's overwhelming. From the moment you start making your character to the time you start taking on quests, looting, making friends, joining companies, discovering places etc., you are immediately captivated by the game. This is just so good even with all the flaws that come with the launch you won't feel like putting it down. It's a beautiful, unquestionable product of love. And I am CONFIDENT it'll please MMO hardcore players, FF enthusiasts and complete newcomers. A Realm Reborn literally was born out of a failed product and it's easy to say it's here to stay. Eorzea appears to be a place I will not leave any time soon. Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    being the first mmo i've ever played i don't have anything i can compare it to, but i love this game. while initially confusing, i eventually understood the quest system, as well as how to fight get new weapons, and about fates which randomly appear in the world and offer rewards for completing them. the graphics look amazing and combat starts of slow and simple, but later gets more complex. the only problems i have are some framerate slow-down when there's a lot on the screen at once, and the targeting system, which feels slightly awkward to use, especially if you're trying to pick out an enemy from several others. Expand
  3. Apr 10, 2014
    Beautiful, really beautiful. In the graphical sense. Nice music too. Can't say anything bad about the crafting part. Very interestingly implemented and varied.

But the actual gameplay is quite subpar.

The story, which has always been a staple of Final Fantasy games, this time around is not even remotely engaging. Don't get me wrong - the whole "big bad empire" vector is done quite
    nicely. In the cutscenes. You, as a hero, don't get to really encounter the Garlean Empire until you're almost at the level cap. Until then 80% of your time will be spent doing fetch quests and reducing the population of local monsters. Also, you are a silent Chosen One in the worst sense. Sometimes the story calls for a dungeon. Well, you'll have to find three more Chosen Ones for that. And after the boss is dead, all the NPCs act as if you're the only Chosen One and the other three did not exist.

The combat system is nice, although not exactly varied. You have combos, you have some AoE abilities and that's about it. None of the combat abilities actually look or feel satisfying. The archer just gets to shoot the bow with different colored flashes signifying different abilities. And then that very archer gets three AoE attacks. Which all do roughly the same damage, cost roughly the same amount of energy and occupy three slots on your hotbars. Except one of them has a much smaller radius. As for suplexing a train or doing something really COOL - no, that's not happening. Stun an entire group of enemies? Freeze an enemy to the ground then blink away and unleash a Pyroblast? Nope.

But the worst part by far is the technical implementation. Almost everything in this game speaks of lack of user friendliness:

To use a key item on an object you have to: a) target the object; b) open your inventory; c) find the key item; d) right click the key item; e) click "Use". Not simply right-click the object, no, sir. And there's no choice in using the items, really. One item for one task.

If you want to insert materia into your gear, you need a crafter of that particular item type. Not just a separate materia specialist.

If you want to run a dungeon, that's fine. You can queue as one class, then swap to another and continue questing/farming/something. When your turn comes, you switch back to the class you queued as and enter. And suddenly you find yourself unable to: a) Use private chat; b) Blacklist goldsellers; c) Open your Free Company window; d) Open your friend list. Presumably all of this was done to make players focus on the task at hand...

If a player leaves your dungeon group... Well, you have to stick around in the dungeon and pray for a new one. You can not teleport out, you can not invite someone manually, you can not even change your class. Lost a tank/healer midway through? Run is over, because most players do not set that "Join party in progress" checkbox.

Then there's the bane of a lot of people: The AoE dodging. Bosses, you see, have AoE abilities. And the actual area of effect for those abilities is clearly highlit for everyone to see and move out of. But there's something very wrong with the timing for that. You move out of the AoE zone a good couple seconds before the cast is over. You are standing on the other side of the room... And then you get hit! This damage lag can be really two or three seconds. All the other abilities at the same time will work fine.

Of course, even eight months after release the game still suffers from random disconnects.

And while we're on the subject of user friendliness. A lot of dungeons will have story cutscenes. Right in the middle of them. So if you're watching a story cutscene for a quest that sent you there, everyone else is either waiting for you or pulling the boss while you're locked in that cutscene. Of course you can skip them and rewatch later from an inn. If you know about that option and want to actually skip past parts of the story. This mechanic is rather unfriendly towards anyone who has beaten the story quest before.

Sure, all of these have workarounds but the sum of all small problems weighs heavily.

One other thing that you start noticing rather quickly is how FF XIV is trying to be NOT WoW. Down to wording. There are no instances/dungeons, there are duties. There are no daily quests, there are leves. There is no threat, there is enmity. There are no bosses, there are lords of the lair. There is no pleasure in playing, there is frustration.

Overall FF XIV is just right for you if you wish to spend time walking around beautiful landscapes and enjoying sunsets, gathering items and then crafting something. If you want to be a fighting class, the game is not really for you.

P. S.: A Botanist's tool of choice is not a gardening implement like a shovel. It's an axe. Botany in this game is not about sowing seeds and nurturing plants. It's about chopping down trees. And that's the kind of design that fuels this game.
  4. Apr 7, 2014
    This game blew me away i wasn't sure what to expect from it going in and i was kinda unsure of buying it but it was amazing i really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what it is that makes me like it so much, i can't tell if it's the amazing atmosphere, wonderful gameplay and mechanics, that beautiful OST, the amazing graphics and art style, or the wonderful story. I wasn't sure about playing an mmo with a controller but it was very nice. I would recommend having a keyboard plugged in for chat though. unfortunately all i could play was the 30 day trial but once it comes out for ps4 i'll be getting it and paying for the subscription. Expand
  5. Aug 29, 2013
    WOW! This is a great MMO game! At first I was not expecting much due to the bad rep this game got for it's initial version which I ended up not playing. However, after having played some more Final Fantasy games and learning that Square Enix intended to release a much improved version of the game I decided to give it a chance. Lo and behold this MMO has turned out to be one of the best games I've played in a while. Amazing interface and easy to pick up with so much to do! Superb narrative and art-style which is very much in line with traditional Final Fantasy. I'm so glad I purchased this I recommend everyone especially fans of older Final Fantasy games to give it a go! I know I'll be playing this for a long time! Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2013
    I find myself wanting to return every time to the world of eorzea, the game has very good visuals for a mmorpg, great story and most important... THERE IS A LOT OF ENDGAME STUFF TO DO!!!! Game mechanics and battle mechanics are simple yet very funny to play, and the job/cross class skills is a welcome addition. Great game if u like mmorpg and final fantasy. Not the WOW killer but a serious threat to the "King" Expand
  7. Sep 1, 2013
    Do not buy this game if you can find it. The game itself is great when you can play it. Problems with the servers have led to many people getting an error that worlds are full and character creation is locked on many servers. Also you have to buy a PC copy if you want to switch between playing on a PS3 or a PC. So beware if you plan on doing this so you don't waste $40 only to find out you have to pay $30 more to play it on the PC too. Even though it is a good game none of that matters when you can only play it at 3 A.M. Expand
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    A fun game, like vanilla WOW a lot, but with better music, a better story, and jobs. Don't forget that its Final Fantasy, too. I enjoyed it very much.
  9. Oct 12, 2013
    This game is very bad, I wouldn't recommend spending any money on it. The graphics are pretty nice for 10 year old game. The soundtrack is not bad. This game is very boring and very repetitive. The map is terrible. I would recommend every other game on the planet before I would recommend this. Wish I could get a refund, signed up to metacritic just to tell everyone how bad this game is. The reviews for this game tell me one thing, never ever trust critic reviews, They must have a different copy of the game or were hit on the head or something. Run as far away from this game as you can, its boring and sucks Expand
  10. Aug 29, 2013
    I liked too much, i can only resume that it´s an amazing game endeed it´s fun to play, even more than final fantasy xii and xiii, it confirms that maybe what final fantasy franchice needs it´s new blood on development staff, so, it´s time to fire Motomu Toriyama before he does another weird entry like xiii saga in the series
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    On PS3 in North America, it's nothing more than a bland, ugly, near-broken mess. Straight off the bat it gives you a great amount of customization that results in different starting locations. But when the game starts, that's when it goes downhill. You start of with a story that you almost immediately don't care about, and one that you're sure you've heard a hundred times before, regardless on which path you choose with your character. You work your way through some bland dialogue options and then are given control of the game, that is, if you make it through the first few hours of tutorial missions. Immediately you're thrown in to an overcrowded server with an overwhelming and cramped HUD. Tutorials and instructions obnoxiously pop up and interrupt you far too frequently.

The gameplay is the same style we've all played in any MMORPG ever. It's functional, and semi satisfying, and offers quiet a bit of variety, depending on how you build your character. This combat system would hold up if every mission didn't force you to get tired of it. Every (and i do mean EVERY) mission is "Go here, kill this, collect these, then come back". It's tiresome, boring, and mundane, even with friends to complete it with you.

The "open world" is extremely restrictive until you're a high level. If you try to go anywhere that you're not supposed to, you'll be attack by enemies that will instantly kill you. This makes it difficult to rally with friends who chose a different path than yours.

One of the most distracting features is that the game is flat-out ugly on PS3. The environments are low-detail textures with an unpleasant colour palette. At times, it was just painful to look at the game. Later in the game, the story picks up, but it's hard to care about any characters when some of them talk, and some of them are mutes with subtitles. It's inconsistencies like this that really break immersion for the character.

It would maybe be worth buying if it charged you a one-time fee like Guild Wars 2. But having to pay full price, then a monthly fee for this is absolutely absurd. The game is bad, and only for true fans of MMORPGs and the Final Fantasy series.
  12. Sep 15, 2013
    Now that the server issues are resolved, I can say I truly enjoy this game wholeheartedly. You're able to switch between classes with just one character, they offer plenty of quest opportunities, the live FATE events are something I always run to, and it just looks darn pretty. If I have a gripe, I suppose it's the difficulty curve running solo tends to steepen and flatten throughout, but you can manage. Especially with this being on PS3, I'm really impressed with this game. A must play, even if you typically don't go after MMO's. It does come with a trial period, so you don't have to pay monthly right away. Give it a try! Expand
  13. Nov 25, 2013
    Worst experience possible. I bought the game put the disc in my PS 3 and while it installed the game I created a square enix membership like the registration card suggested, and added the key to the account, and linked my ps3 account. When the installation finished I also wrote the registration code, and then the game asked for my square enix ID. OK, WTF is my square enix ID, I entered 2 different keys and linked accounts why do I have to jump through so many hoops? There is no registration mail no way of knowing and forgot ID link is not helpful at all.

Seriously do not buy the game unless you want to waste hours trying to figure out how to get through the damn maze SE created, it's not worth it
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    I’ve already review the PC version and the PS3 version is more or less the same as I own both. It gets lesser score from me due to the fact the longer load times and muddy graphics. If you don’t have a pc or don’t want to move you PC to the living room to play on the big screen get the PS3 version.
  15. Jan 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excellent. Fun combat, exploration and random bosses are a blast. Just dont expect much social integration early on. Graphics are nice (even with the tone down to reduce lag) and the character models are stunning with great looks. Expand
  16. Sep 30, 2013
    In addition to the lack of innovation, I feel that the main negative point regarding this game that it is NOT “multiplayer friendly”:
    1) Duty finder takes a long time to match (80% DPS) and when it does dungeon missions are meant to last for more than hour (No easy drop in drop out system)
    2) I created a party, but we can’t level together (No XP from monsters except for FATES), can’t do
    most story missions together, can’t do Hard level dungeon together (Me lvl 42) unless he reaches that level
    3) The idea of matchmaking doesn’t work for this game, many High level quests and dungeons require full strategic cooperation from all party members and that is difficult when you don’t know most of them especially in larger parties
    OK, let’s forget about the online part of the game, I want to enjoy this game solo but:
    1) Some story quests forces me to do Duty finder (Why can’t I have NPC option to do the dungeon with me?)
    2) Many boring quests are stuffed into the main story quests just for the sake of prolonging the story

So unfortunately I’m not having any fun and I feel like I’m a restricted controlled robot doing quest after quest and skipping all the text. The only people I feel that can enjoy this game are very large group of friends that are really loyal to FF, bought the game together and have the patience to lvl up until 50 to fully enjoy the game.
  17. Sep 11, 2013
    I want to give it a higher score, because quite frankly, this is the best mmo i have ever played. Here's the deal though. The game is broken, servers are broken, and square enix are frustratingly bad at making you understand what you're doing.
    When you put the disc in, get ready for a very long and very annoying subscription process. Once you're done with that and you link your PSN
    account with Square's account, you have to download a 2.5 GB patch. People with slow internet, like me, will likely have to sit through 8 to 10 hours of download. 3 or 4 times it would download a little and then disconnect from the server for no reason whatsoever. I tried downloading the patch night after night until it finally finished.
    Once that's done, you're free to enter the game, that is if, again, the servers don't f*ck up.
    You create a character and choose a server. Most of them are full, which sucks.
    So, long story short, just starting the game is a nightmare that no gamer has to suffer.
    As for the game itself, i need not say much. It is a beautiful massive world with what i consider to be the best Final Fantsasy gameplay ever.

-Verdict:
    Amazing game. Too bad it's nearly broken from all sides. If you manage to sign into your server, expect it to disconnect after a couple hours in every now and then. Hopefully Square Enix fixes this bullsh!t.
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    You know, this game could be awesome. Or crap. Impossible to tell seeing as the most frustrating thing about it is trying to connect to a server to attempt to play the game. Had it since release and have yet to be able to even begin the game due to every single server being full and having no waiting queue to get in. For the login issue alone, I can't give this game a passing score, even if it turns out to be amazing the day I do finally get to play it. Expand
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    Disgusting. Combat is clunky and unresponsive. Game is insanely easy. Cut scenes are a mess, some are voice acted and others are not. Lip syncing is awful and dialogue and story is mind numbingly boring. SE has their thumbs up their rear and STILL have not fixed their servers, locking countless people out of the game, those who purchased the head-start were conned out of their money. Video makers are not allowed to monetize their videos but they're still allowing twitch users to stream the game to get some free advertising before they bone them. It's just despicable all around, DO NOT BUY. Expand
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    All the 0 reviews are laughable. None of them have valid information on the game. It's all "SERVERS WON'T LAUNCH LOL BAD." Or "LOL I DON'T LIKE THE UI SO THAT MAKES IT BAD." Get a grip. Have none of you ever played MMOs before? Diablo 3 on pc launch was worse than this and people are praising the crap out of this game...were you around at WoW launch? That was a freaking ordeal. Just shut up and wait to play like everyone else. They're giving you the week you lost free time. And BTW you could log on I've been on every day since launch. You fools have no idea what you're talking about.

The game itself is beautiful. Amazing. The quests in the beginning, while tailored to extreme newbies, lay out the plot for a great story down the line all the while offering a tutorial of the game's UI which, by the way translates on to ps3 amazingly. I can do things almost as fluidly as if with a keyboard and mouse (and I haven't even gotten the complete hang of it yet!) the fact that you can switch jobs later as well as combine classes to make more advanced classes is just awesome. Don't see that in too many MMOs these days.

The score OMG. Amazing. I could listen to the music for days. Really. Get on this.
    Combat is fun and the main story lines only get better as you go on.

I suggest picking this game up now that server issues have been alleviated and we can actually play.
    Do it.
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Best Mmorpg presently some login issue because the game is to popular. Square will repair this next weeks. Lack the feeling to be a team like v1 because everything seem solo or duty finder with stranger.
  22. Aug 27, 2013
    This is my first time playing an MMORPG and i really do think it was the perfect game to start with. the lighting and the over all gameplay are miles ahead of the original XIV.
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is a very polished mmo. The game takes great lengths to allow you to customize your character as much as possible. I appreciate being able to name your own Chocobo and being able to fully customize the look and name of your retainer. The main story does a great job of making you feel like a badass hero. While the dungeons in the game are very fun, I can't help but feel that making some dungeons mandatory for the main quest was bothersome. This is not much of a problem for tanks and healers, but dps players currently face very long wait times. Nevertheless, when it finally happens dungeons in FFXIV: ARR are some of the most fun I've had in any mmo.

Simply put, this is an amazing mmo. Both Final Fantasy fans and mmo players will find much to love.
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    This is the real Final Fantasy 14 every body wants. It's a big step in Console gaming, as a person who love the console gaming I appreciate the optimization of the game and all the problems and replicates of the game will fix with patches to me is a great game but a shame to pay for play
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    I'm really impress with how good this game is. The single player Final Fantasy(13) maybe crap, but if Square-Enix keep making MMO like Final Fantasy 14 ARR, i will always be first in line to buy the game. Great Job Square
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    I wish people would stop dealing in 10's and 0's, it doesn't allow for the game to be reviewed properly... I really like the game, think it legitimately deserves an 8 out of 10. Definitely has it's flaws, map system is hard to understand for example. Group finders, FATES (guild wars active events), full quest lines, a great story (Which very much plays and feels like a single player final fantasies stories, and are fully accessible through solo play) make this game worth it to any Final Fantasy fan who wants to be transported back to the glory days.

The sound track is fully scored by Nobuo Uematsu, the musical guru who scored entries 1-9 in the series. That alone is the reason why I decided to play this game, which has otherwise been blighted by the bad reputation of its predecessor, and I'm glad I did. The game feels like a mish-mash of older final fantasy games (story and musical elements), final fantasy 11 (job system, races, and world), world of warcraft (combat system, holy trinity mechanics, dungeon finder, raids, etc), and guild wars 2 (FATES, active events).

Races are fun and imaginative, but square could have taken the time to introduce something new, rather than simply recycling their FFXI races. Job system is deep, fun and full of customization, which is lovely. Crafting system is a mixture of traditional mechanics and re imagined side-quest which makes it an entertaining and relaxing distraction if you simply want to socialize with friends for a while or immerse yourself in the world.

It is not a seamless world and features multiple load screens, albeit these do little to inhibit the sense of cohesion and flow most MMO gamers expect these days, load screens are rather quick. Voice acting is spotty at times, but you shouldn't deduct points for this... it's like any Final fantasy game before 13 (which was a steaming piece of garbage), some scenes were voice acted, most were not. The product never advertised full voice acting, and FF fans should be used to this.

Quest line writing is generally good, early game quests are a little dry but that goes for just about every MMORPG things heat up as you delve deeper in.

Conclusion:

I don't typically write reviews and I know this one is sloppy, but I wanted to get across the fact that the game draws heavily on tried and true MMORPG archetypes and applies them with finesse. It has the feel of a love letter to early final fantasy games (particularly 6, which was my favorite), and often drops easter eggs to past entries in the series (materia, magitek, etc.). The game runs well on my mid-range rig, and still looks great, so don't be dissuaded if you don't have a top end gaming computer.

Music 10/10

Game play 8/10

Visuals 9/10

Story 7/10

Overall 8/10

P.S. for those concerned about server issues: Feel free to complain about these temporary problems, I know that I too have been irritated by my inability to log in on a whim. However, these concerns DO NOT belong in reviews. Many customers rely on metacritic as the authority and square enix NEEDS this game to do well in order to continue to thrive. They have have a tough few years, but they are still one of the great RPG developers out there, and I for one do not want to see them fade away. If this game was bad, I would say so but it is not, so do not slander it so ignorantly.

Solid game, pick it up if your in the market for a new MMORPG, great buy for Final Fantasy fans.
  27. Sep 11, 2013
    I definitely recommend picking this up whether you're veteran MMORPG player or just starting out. It's extremely newbie friendly and the game looks gorgeous! One thing that bothers me with the PS3 version is constant FPS drops and hiccups. It just simply can't run smoothly for more than few minutes until your frame-rate drops to as low as 16-20 fps. One good thing to note however is that, apparently, you'll be getting a free PS4 version once the console is out. Expand
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    A marvelous game. As someone new to MMOs, I expected to be overwhelmed by features and interface elements. Thankfully the tutorial was helpful and clear; I felt comfortable using the different features.

Gameplay is not difficult but battles are enjoyable. Monster models, true to the series, offer entertaining art styles and names.

Graphics are superb. This is simply an astoundingly
    beautiful game. I find myself stopping regularly to take screenshots of the landscape.

The crafting system is intuitive and fun yet deep and useful. It's certainly more involved and richer than in any console RPG that I've played. You have so many opportunities to craft what you want and to approach it from so many different classes.

The user interface can be a bit clunky at times, but it offers a good amount of information through various menus.

I'm incredibly satisfied with the game and have enjoyed my time in Eorzea. I hope you will take a spin too.
  29. Aug 29, 2013
    The game does everything right that an MMO, should do right, it's quests are fun and creative, the story is epic, and makes you feel like a hero, it has tons of things to do, so you can play for a really long time and never get bored. Yoshi and his team really put their heart into this game, and it shows.
  30. Sep 12, 2013
    Dull, repetitive, boring and easy. All flash and no substance. Can't even see the enemy half the time due to names and overly flashy spells. Playing as a caster is a bore fest I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I don't know why people like this game. Prepare to see the same thing over and over while other people are playing better games and having better experiences than you.
  31. Mar 15, 2014
    Though I have been a longtime Final Fantasy fan, FFXIV: ARR is my first MMORPG (I did not play FFXI, nor the original iteration of FFXIV). Overall, after recently completing the main campaign, I leave Eorzea with mixed feelings. Bought about a month after launch (I was aware of the server loads and issues so I waited until they were resolved), it took me about 6-7 months to finish the campaign. Judging by the others who reached level 50 (max) long before me and maxing out multiple classes in that time it should be obvious I would be considered a casual player by other MMORPG player standards. Given the initial cost of $40, and the $13 monthly subscription fee that leads to a total cost of about $120. A lot of commentary on the web seems to have defended the subscription fee, but in light of doing a review the fee and initial cost are valid considerations to take into account in relation to the content provided. Perhaps a criticism of MMORPGs in general, I'm not convinced that the costs of the servers for hosting all these players in the overworld is worth it. For me the most enjoyable sections of the game were the instances and the dungeons, which usually consisted of a 4-player party (up to 8 for the last two dungeons of the campaign, more in post-game content from my understanding). These party match ups could have been done without the need for monthly subscription costs, consistent with other games that include online multiplayer. The only real engaging piece of content in the overworld would be the fates, which can be very crowded but interesting. Otherwise, most of the quests are fetch quests, boring, and repetitive. The story is slow, drawn out, and conventional in most every sense. The surprises are not really surprising and the villain is shallow and obvious from the beginning. There are some likable characters which help make up for the otherwise light storyline. There are a lot of Final Fantasy nods, a lot of fan service. I enjoyed that aspect of the game. That, and a few characters and the primal boss battles, is what kept me going. Indeed, the most enjoyable experiences of the game were the primal (summon) battles with Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda. Ifrit and Titan were just a blast to fight. There should have been a lot more of these, and a lot less of the fetch quests. Some of the fetch questing seem intentional to draw out the play time and keep you around longer. Further, many small things like having your own Chocobo campaign came about too late in my opinion. Frankly, early on the game is a chore. In the end, the game is not worth $120. Maybe if you are really involved in a Free Company and this is the ONLY game you play it may be a good value, but for most it is too demanding, costly, and offers little reward. Expand
  32. Aug 28, 2013
    One of the best MMOs out there.

The Good:
    Story.
    Lore.

Only downside:
    Targeting system.
    Map.
  33. Aug 28, 2013
    FFXIV, the return of the FFXI cast in HD. Is it as fun as FFXI? NOPE. This game might as well be a fighter, since all you do in battles is mash buttons until your abilities are once again available for use. Square-Enix, a more apt title would have been "Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest: Bloom 'N Epilepsy". You'll have carpal tunnel syndrome by the time you are level 50, if you can even stand grinding to reach half of that level. FFXI lacks any semblance of FUN, just like it did when it launched to catastrophic reviews and sales in 2010. Avoid, unless you're a Japanophile. Expand
  34. Aug 28, 2013
    Thought I would try and give this game another chance after quitting the original in the first month. I can't even make a character on a North American server. Apparently they can't handle the traffic and the excepted solution is to deny anyone from making a new character so if you were not one of the lucky ones that got to make a character in the first 10 minutes of the game launching then you're out of luck until some time in the next couple of weeks when they get around to doing something about it. More then likely after the free trial period has ended so you'll have to pay for a month just to check it out. Expand
  35. Aug 28, 2013
    This review is to counteract the negative reviews slamming the game for its server issues. Yes, SE did a horrendous job handling customer service, but the game itself does not deserve to suffer as a result. I have not played Version 1.0, so I have no bases of comparison, but I have played Final Fantasy XI for a few years. What I've played of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn so far has been phenomenal. The improved quest system, the fast and frenetic dungeon raids, the exciting combat. There's nothing about the game that makes you bored. If you're bored from the game, you just aren't that creative with how you're playing it.

Keep an open mind. Have patience. Put up with the log in and character creation restrictions because a beautiful and fun game awaits you.
  36. Aug 29, 2013
    I played FF14: ARR for 5 hours straight tonight, and I haven't done that with an MMO since the golden era of WoW. Played many MMO's since then, and nothing has come close to the sheer quality of WoW.. Until now. FF14 ARR is the real deal people. Don't listen to the hate. This game succeeds on two levels, first being an excellent FF game, and second for being a very good MMO.
  37. Aug 29, 2013
    I am also writing this review to offset the invalidity of the negative reviews. This game is amazing. I have been a Final Fantasy fan for over 22 years and have played all of them BUT Final Fantasy XI--this game FEELS like a Final Fantasy. I haven't felt like this since Final Fantasy X. I was very disappointed that I was not able to be a part of the franchises first experience with an mmo. I also did not buy it the first time around. So my views have never truly been tarnished regarding this game. When I played the Beta-I was hooked. I was so sad when it was over and tried to go back to Skyrim... but it paled in comparison (particularly for a FF fan). I wanted MORE! True, there were a few issues getting things going, but they game itself is so much fun. My husband put it best, "I know this game is good, because you can't stop smiling." I would only deduct the 1 point for the annoyances of trying to get in servers/the overload/etc. The music is in my head right now at work... (thanks to the genius Nobuo Uematsu) and all I want to do is play Final Fantasy. If you are a Final Fantasy fan (particularly old school), GET.THIS.GAME! Expand
  38. Aug 29, 2013
    You stupid A-holes need to quit giving 0's because of the server issues. Remember when halo 3 used to crash all the time because of a glitch from installing it? Anyway, this game, once you are in is amazing. It hits that sweet spot between hardcore and casual perfectly. It is the most fun ive had with an mmo since I first played Everquest in 2003.
  39. Aug 31, 2013
    Best MMO i played for a REALLY long time and i played A LOT of MMO's
    it's a MUST to try out this game words are not worthy of describing such a masterpiece

Don't pay attention to the red reviews because they are Ignorant kids.
  40. Sep 2, 2013
    Great game, some teething problem with servers but don't let something temporary reflect on an otherwise top class game. Casual play is great but still has plenty of depth for those that need more. Great for all the FF fans as it covers alot of the franchises history.
  41. Sep 3, 2013
    Log in issues aside, hopefully being fixed with the 24 hour downtime coming up in a few hours, this is a fantastic game so far. I'm about halfway through and the story is great (slow start but it picks up), music is fantastic. Graphics are excellent for ps3 (PC version on max settings is awesome). Gameplay is a lot of fun, I've played quite a few mmo's but this one has really sucked me in early on. I will be playing this one for months to come! Expand
  42. Sep 5, 2013
    Game is great few log in difficulties but nothing to get your panties in a twist over all better on console feels more personal.Graphics obviously not as great but ho cares game still looks awesome ,what makes it great it's the only game on PS3 like this.
  43. Sep 7, 2013
    A positive improvement over 1.0. While opening week had server issues SE worked constantly to get issues fixed and in control. Just as they promised in the first week they fixed connection issues and people could log in easier. Since the first week had soo many issues they gave everyone back a week of free play. Graphics are hardly muddy and actually very sharp and clear.. it depends on your PC abilities on how the graphics look... so its sad when people use graphics on PC as a complaint.

Alot of the negative complaints come from people who did not bother to actually follow with the facebook, twitter and constant communication Square did with the user base... they always kept everyone informed and in the loop on what they were doing to fix things.

Most of the negative comments on the quest system are stupid because the system can be compared to WoW's and that is where most of these negative posters come from.

All in all if you like Final Fantasy and played FFXI then this game wont disappoint.
  44. Sep 11, 2013
    I will start off saying, everybody who gave this game a 0 in rage due to servers crashing first few days... That has happened in every MMO I can remember...well...that anybody played.

I am what you would call a "casual mmo gamer" now. I have a wife and 4 children, I work 40+ hrs a week, I don't have time to grind out 50 hrs a week ingame. I play to have fun, I play for content, I play
    so I can play an rpg with other people. Well, this game has more than I could ever hope for. I Have been playing mmo's since EQ, and, this one has taken the best of all worlds and mashed it up into a wonderful game. You can read any professional review and they will give you a good breakdown of what the pros and cons are of each aspect of it.

Here is my bottom line. MY WIFE started playing and LOVES it..... period. She doesn't really do games lol... typical girl, mario kart with kids..... stuff like that. She is further along than me lol.

I wasn't always a "Casual" gamer, lead a raiding guild in WoW for a year(lich king era). Lead a LS on FFXI for 8 years.

This is the game for anybody who loves to play. It doesn't matter if you play 2 hours a week or 120. You will have fun and since it's final fantasy world, people will behave or get banned, so, it will be more family friendly than WoW. I love this game, hope you do too. Good gaming to you all!
  45. Sep 22, 2013
    Amazing game, quests get a bit ridiculous sometimes, but overall pretty nice, job/class system amazing (probably my favorite part). The move combinations, limit breaks, dungeons, boss fights. All amazing. Please get rid of the Gold "gil" sellers on this game who spam advertisements constantly though.
  46. Oct 7, 2013
    I loved the game, don't get me wrong. The customer service however is horrible and I find myself unable to play a game because they wont accept my payments and refuse to see it is not my banks fault. Paying for a game you can't even play seems like a waste to me, and is devastating when you've grown quite fond of it.
  47. Dec 19, 2013
    this the first MMO i have ever played and i love this game. i loved final fantasy games since i was child. its beautiful game and challenging game. good story.
  48. Jan 11, 2014
    Only getting the game now down to the negative response from servers etc... Took me an hour to install game, patches and updates, definitely worth the wait had no problem with servers at all :) graphics aren't as good as PC, but still very good in comparison with ps3 game graphics, over all feel of the game is fantastic, This game makes me glad to be a FF fan, and the neg response is because people have no patience :) Expand
  49. Feb 22, 2014
    This is for the morons giving games 0 out of 10. Are you f*****g kidding? So you're telling me this is the worst thing you have ever played? Get a life and learn to not be retarded... I have played a lot of bad games in my day but have never given anything a zero. Do you understand how bad a game would have to be to get a zero? It would have to not work AT ALL! Quit being retarded and dragging user ratings into the God darn ground! I'm talking to you just! Expand

1. Nov 23, 2013
    A refreshing rarity. [Issue#237, p.76]
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is the complete package. With a well-written story, characters you care about, a flexible class system, lovely visuals, and a grand soundtrack, this game offers about everything you could want, especially for fans of the Final Fantasy series.
  3. Oct 23, 2013