5.8

1. Aug 25, 2010
    Fracture has a unique premise of manipulating the terrain to gain advantage over your enemies. However, the main problem with this is that it never feels necessary to actually make an impact on the game. It is needed in the game to get past certain areas but this is only because the developers force it onto the player. The visuals at first can look pretty good for its time but when you start to play more of it the entire game looks out-dated, even for a 2008 game. This is a good rental but the story is so weak there is no point in playing it unless you want to experience what the game-play offers. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2014
    I didn't get very far into this game before deciding not to play it. Basically, it did not seem play tested by the developers. The first major gripe I had was how forced upon you terrain alteration was. I'm all ok with using the developers tools however they are forced upon you as the only way to play this game....and it is way overdone. The second issue is that given that terrain alteration is so necessary they get the most obvious and easily accessible controller buttons leaving the shooting, aiming and sprint to get the other buttons....which are more awkward and annoying to use and none of this can be remapped through the options menu. That would have made a huge difference. The third issue is I ran out of ammo and frequently got stuck with weapons and no ammo, and none in sight. Melee didn't work all that great either so another frustration. Then on top of this when you zoom in your character goes all fuzzy and moves ultra slow for some reason. Overall I'm an hour in and four things which are bothering me. Time to put the game down and move on to another one, this one deserves low rating. If you have patience go for it though a quirky part of this game did call to me. I actually like hardcore games but this ones design just put me off way too easily. Expand

1. A jarring experience that tries (and fails) to marry a wildly ambitious gameplay dynamic with some of the most disappointingly generic art design we've ever seen. [Nov 2008, p.106]
  2. Fracture is a solid effort that offers a new mechanic to the shooter formula and allows for some exciting new ways to play. Unfortunately, for what it does right in Terrain Deformation, its issues fall with the basics of the genre due to spotty AI and frustrating aiming issues.
  3. Fracture is a good game, despite its flaws; and although it has a lot of lost potential in its story, its distinctive gameplay mechanics allow us to give it enough credit to say it’s worth checking out.