6.1

1. Apr 19, 2011
    im a huge front mission fan i loved FM4 on the PS2 its deffinitly one of my top 3 fav PS2 games. FM3 was ok now we come to FME which SE decided to scrap the turn based RPG for a full out 3rd person action game . i have to say i was very dissapointed when i heard this since SRPG's are pretty rare in the gaming world . i still thought it could be a fun mech shooter and waited for a price drop and picked it up for $15 . if it was a SRPG i woulda paid the full $60 with out a doubt. well what we got hear is a very mediocore mech shooter . the games balance is perplexing to say the least . you can fly through the levels crushing eevry thing in your path with ease then you get to the bosses who you will spend 15-20 min on and will feel you are trying to take down a M1 Tank with a 9 MM pistol and some of them can near lay you to waste in one hit....oooookaaaayyy?! the custimisation of your wanzer is kinda cool and reminds me of the old good FM games but then i relise im not playing the good FM games im playing this . the online is kinda fun if you can find a match which theese days are hard to come by , you can spend any where from 5-15 min to find a match ... time better spent els where on a better game .also the story and voice acting are pretty abysmall. then we have the graphics which dont look to bad outside of the charicter models which look like they belong on the PS2 . the game is also way to short i think it took me all of about 4 hours or so to beat it. you also get to at times fight outside your wanzer in a 3rd person shooter mode which feels clunky at best. that all said the game can be kinda fun i did enjoy flying in the chopper laying waste to wanzers with the twin miniguns and rocket launchers. its just a very mediocore game that excels at nothing but being mediocore . Expand
  2. May 2, 2011
    It's not that Front Mission Evolved is a bad game. It's not, actually. It just doesn't deserve to be called a "Front Mission" game. It does not deserve to be part of this franchise. As a third person shooter it plays just fine. It doesn't have the best graphics ever seen but, by all means, they are bad. The gameplay, although generic, is okay. The story has its moments and the game has tons of possibilities in terms of Wanzer customization. This game made me scratch my head, though, trying to understand what was Square-Enix thinking. I still have no answer to that. Why not stick to the strategy, turn-based, gameplay that made the series so famous? Why transform a game that had so much depth and turn it into a bland, mediocre shooter? Maybe this is one of those questions without answers. Front Mission Evolved is not bad. It is just not Front Mission. Call it "Evolved", only, and try your luck. Or (de)volved. Or (un)volved. Bad, bad decision here, Square-Enix. Expand
  3. Sep 29, 2010
    Yup i was so scared to have preordered and spent 65 bucks for this game i almost cancelled it the day before it released. Boy, am i glad i didnt do that. I didnt by into the its not strategy game anymore crap i just wanted to see what would become of front mission. Lets see...I have played its campaign mode more than mw2, bfbc2, cod war at war campaigns. Maybe because this game explains its controls in the manual (something the bigboys need to do) reexplains it in the game and allows you to gain your trophies on the easy mode which helps you develop confidence in what you are doing while exploring its world. Maybe because wanzers are slower which allowed me to understand how to play before the difficulty kicked in. The graphics were very nice with rich detail in the explosions and the music is movie soundtrack worthy in its pacing and the way it fits into the game. The customization of the wanzers is so open depending upon what you want and how you want to play, can a human change his legs to move faster, or his arms for better accuracy no, but a wanzer can. I am sorry but the on foot missions didnt bother me it felt mw2ish but thats not a complaint mw2 is a great great game. Yes there where moments in the game were i felt confused but i really got the feeling square enix wants you to try the game and complete it as mission objectives were easily mapped out and located i never got the where am i suppose to go? and what do i do next? feeling...The online mode is straight call of duty world at war. yes there is only a few modes the genius lies in the fact that when you rank a game you get matched with people around your skill level. So no noobs i cant beat yuu down. You get killstreaks, clan tags, etc. ala mw2...plus customization over your wanzer arms, legs, torso, guns, shields, backpacks, and even colors and camaflouge. its a thing of beauty. The explosions, people talking junk, hey that is part of the genre but everybody gets smacked around Everybody. This is a dudes game and for girls who like to just hang out with the dudes (but get your game face on) and please no sex talk. This is square enix first try at this and I have enjoyed everything about it. Is it perfect no...NO game is...but is it right up there with the best i feel good about saying yes especially if you like mech warriors (wanzers) and mw2. I would like to see a few more modes to play but until i get to level 70 a few times and unlock all my stuff i am happy. Square Enix please downloadable content. Not now mind you the game is new to all of us but 4 months maybe? Think about it.....Also we do need a strategy rpg front mission how about running both, you cant give me this and take it away but i aslo have luv for its heritage. P.S. no you can not rank your friends in a game because if you if you are sergeant and he noob you beat him always and he cant level himself up an you get cheap kills..... but you can create rooms and play them...Pros an Cons to everything, you can thank my buddies who got about a 1000 kills off me as i learned mw2 for that. Expand
  4. Feb 11, 2011
    This could have been a great game, but seems unfinished most of the time. There are many bugs in the rendering engine, and the graphics are really outdated. The story is cheesy (which is ok), but the gameplay needed a lot more work. The AI is very basic, and for example even if you are with other wanzers, everyone is attacking you. Sometimes the difficulty is very low, and sometimes it's very hard... Like nobody paid attention t that... Where the game fails miserably is when you are outside your wanzer on foot... It's like going back almost 10 years in a very bad fps. Expand
  5. Mar 26, 2012
    Even if I'm a fan of the classics FM (turn based) I'm gonna giving this game a 9/10 'cuz it's fun and enough well made. Graphics are good, sound is not bad, controls are smooth and gameplay is fun, the story and characters are not the best out there, at least not fun and charmful as in FM3 but neither too bad.
  6. Mar 13, 2012
    On my Gaming 4 Jesus video game review ( http://youtu.be/nYphNZsJJiM ) , I gave the video a solid 7 out of 10. This game was CERTAINLY underrated by all the critics. They would have you believe that this game was a turd in a tuxedo. But I disagree. The game was fun, though not QUITE memorable. The mechanized game play was PERFECT along with the fact that you could customize your wanzer ("walking tank"). But the problems began once you climbed out of it. While on foot, your gaming character's reticle seemed to hover over his shoulder in third-person view in an awkward way causing the whole experience to not feel very natural. And it were these parts of the game that did not feel very polished at all. It's almost as though the designers said at the last minute, "Hey, guys! Let's add some game play outside of the wanzer so that we can add more game for the money." If this was the case, it was RIGHT to add the game play. But it feels as though they did it at the last minute, or as an afterthought, too close to deadline. So, though the game was underrated, it wasn't so by much. Expand
  7. Dec 31, 2010
    In the first 50 hours of gameplay, which is a long period of gaming in my aspect, it was perfect and I alone had no problems in playing it, however, after a certain amount of hours, it felt boring like playing campaign on COD for repeated amount of time, however, I still recall playing the game again because it was still fun after all. Not only that, the concept and storyline moves a lot, and designs are very amazing. Expand
  8. Jan 14, 2011
    This game drew a lot of hate, and I can't understand why.
    Ok, so the story was a little tacky, and the cinematics were flawed. But the gameplay was rock solid, challenging but not impossible, the customization was great, and the battles were all memorable. Isn't that what's really important in a video GAME. GAMEPLAY? Where you PLAY the GAME? If you want awesome cinematics watch a movie, if
    you want a great story, read a **** book. I play video games for gameplay, the graphics and story are just icing on the cake. Yes, it's not exactly a front mission game, deal with it, it's a great game on its own merits. You can't release an AAA title as an isometric strategy game, so they didn't.

My only real beef with this game was the controls really didn't fit the pc, as I should have expected from a mech game. And the way you're pretty much forced to use some weapons got on my nerves. For example, I originally wanted to go sniper for the campaign mode. But then the brawlers just destroyed me every time. So I tried a speed build, but I got murdered by machineguns since you can't really avoid them. I switched to a rocket build and everything around me died instantly. Got to the boss battle against the 2 girls in new york, and died 30 times without killing either of them. I grabbed a shield and spammed rockets and all of a sudden I'm unstoppable. In comparison to the armored core series, where most builds are viable as long as you can use them properly. Another minor annoyance was the cash, which at the start has no value, and you just don't have enough of it by the end. The rate at which you get it never seems to scale. Other than that, the actual core gameplay was flawlessly put together, and it varied through 3 different styles so you never got tired of running around in a mech killing stuff (as if anybody could get tired of that).
  9. Oct 12, 2010
    First Off... Most of the people who have issues with this game are coming-in with a biased approach. simply because the game strays from it's turn-based origins. Don't get me wrong, the old Front Mission games were awesome, for what they were. Now, this new take on wanzer combat should be taken for what it is, and not judged on it's origins.
    Taking the game for what it is, it should easily
    receive a 7.5/10 score from the critics. It's seems to me that Gamespot, 1UP, and IGN simply don't "Get" mech simulations. Just look at their scores for the Armored Core series... Armored Core 4 gets a 5.9 IGN??? Really??? You can't just pickup Armored Core games and expect to be proficient at them instantly. They require practice and skilled piloting. That's part of what makes these games so incredible. They require that you actually have piloting skills. Unlike the dumbed-down garbage that most game studios put out these days. So, back to Front Mission Evolved. Basically, it's an Arcade-Style mech combat simulation game. The combat is exciting and action-packed., while being much easier to grasp than AC series. Even in Normal mode, I was challenged during some battles. This game avoids all the long cutscenes, and RPG-like elements of some other mech combat games. Personally, I can spend hours customizing my mech to perfection. But Front Mission Evolved simplifies the process., which is good for most people. You still get to completely customize your mech, but there are way less parts, specs and options than the AC series.

Great Graphics - the wanzers and the environment are bright, and detailed. Explosions look awesome. Great Sound - You can hear your wanzer's servos spinning and torquing as you move around. Weapons and the environment surround you with HD quality ambience.
    Decent Missions - Nothing too immersive. The story is basic and cliche, but who cares?!? It's about building a cool robot and killing stuff.
    Boss Battles - Some people complain that the later boss battles become tedious. Hasn't bothered me yet.
    On-Foot Scenes - Provides a nice change of pace, but about half-way through the foot missions, i wish I was back in my mech. I would have preferred the ability to Jump out of your Wanzer by choice, go into a building/bunker to explore and complete an objective, and then pop back into your killing machine. That would have been an incredible addition. Sucks that it's a linear requirement of the story.

In conclusion:
    Fun to Play, Excellent combat mechanics. Great Graphics, Lots of good Ambient Sounds and Music
  10. Nov 12, 2010
    This was one of the most buggy disc based titles I have ever purchased. There are constant frozen menus, disappearing textures, popping and repeating sounds, just to name a few. What's more, the online portion isn't much better. Multiplayer is heavily unbalanced. Newcomers to the game will likely be 1:20 per round, because of the overpowered weapons and armor found on higher ranks. What's worse, there is no localization of multiplayer, leaving you stuck playing Japanese players that both lag and have all of the most powerful weapons unlocked after having the game several months before the North American release. You can always grit your teeth and push through those problems, but add onto that the issue of severe imbalance of weapons and you have a stinker of an experience. Machine guns, rifles, and sub machine guns are all grossly underpowered. Rocket launchers and missiles rule the game. Any game that allows 1-2 hit kills with weapons that have splash damage or an auto lock-on function are hopeless. What's more, technical weapons, like sniper rifles and assault rifles, when skilled enough to hit the target, fail to do even a fraction of the damage of those "auto kill" weapons. It feels like someone forgot to equip their brain when designing this game. Stay away if you know what's good for you! Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2010
    Never trust a Western developer to do a Japanese franchise. It's like making Marvel Comics do a Gundam manga. If you foget that this is Front Mission... Gameplay-wise, it can be fun with lots of customization like the original and even multiplayer that is similar to Call of Duty (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Domination, HQ). Controls are intuitive and very straight forward.

Graphics
    look dated. And cutscenes aren't what you'd expect from a Square Enix title. That's because it's developed by a Western studio. There is no attention to detail especially at the character rendering aspect. PS2 Front Mission have better cutscenes.

In summary, the game is not great and not recommended for Front Mission fans like me. If you think it is a total blasphemy moving from tactical RPG to action, then engaging a Western developer is even more blasphemous.
  12. Mar 21, 2011
    I was concerned that this game would be terrible. I find it quite enjoyable, It obviously has a few things that are quirky, like the missing **** textures, but overall the game is really fun for me and I love the customization, definitely a casual gamer type game.
  13. Oct 1, 2010
    I was worried that this game might not live up to what it could be, but it didn't dissatisfy, FME comes out into the market with force. The campaign will take you longer than you would expect, but never feels like your just grinding on the same enemies all the way through, it always has a new/interesting challenge in store. The core game-play consists of a third person shooter, coupled with customization out the wazoo. You can expect to be able to customize your very own Wanzer, and take it into battle with you as you wreak havoc on your seemingly occupied enemies. The on-foot sections aren't bad, but can get boring at times, and the story isn't much, but when you are in a mech with missiles, rockets, bazooka rounds, grenades, and several thousand bullets coming at you, you tend to forget there is a story. the game is surprisingly colorful, and while this would normally add to a game, it seems just a bit too bright and unreal for the subject. The multi-player in the game is where it really shines. The CoD ranking setup ensures you will have your hands full for a while, and the customization becomes exponentially more important. Strategies like stunning an opponents before unleashing a flurry of bullets, and healing your team in times of crisis become incredibly more important. With only four game modes, and five maps, the multi-player can be a bit underwhelming, but the customization ensures each battle is different. There are some balance issues, mainly involving lag, and if you want to play with your friends, your on you own, as there is no party system. (There is however, a private match system for no exp.) However the game remains strong, and the ridiculously fast-paced game-play keeps you coming back. Overall, this game is very entertaining, and the multi-player is great with a few kinks, which may-or-may-not be ironed out in the future. If your a mech/customization fan, this game is a definite buy, it should hold you over until the much-anticipated Armored Core 5. Expand

1. Jan 13, 2011
    In the end, Front Mission Evolved is not the disaster that many fans feared it to be, delivering an overall decent campaign and customizations for robot junkies to mull over. However, it is also an unnecessary diversion for the series, attempting to increase its mainstream appeal but ultimately having the opposite effect.
  2. Jan 13, 2011
    In the end, Front Mission Evolved took the concept of third-person mech combat and took all the fun out of it. It is hard to not compare it to other games like it because the other ones got the core of it right. If Square Enix decides to take the series back to being a tactical RPG, I wouldn't blame them.
    While Evolved may not be a game of the year contender and definitely has some faults, it is also probably the most fun I have had in a mech game since the original MechAssault on Xbox.