7.3

1. Jan 25, 2011
    a intresting concept that just doesnt feel like it delivers what it could have . it is a nice idea having a huge open world style racing game thats over 5000 sqaure miles but it wears off pretty fast when you relise all there is to do in this open world is look for oil drums , vista points , new skins for your car , or occasionaly find a new car. there is a nice varity of vehicles ranginga intresting concept that just doesnt feel like it delivers what it could have . it is a nice idea having a huge open world style racing game thats over 5000 sqaure miles but it wears off pretty fast when you relise all there is to do in this open world is look for oil drums , vista points , new skins for your car , or occasionaly find a new car. there is a nice varity of vehicles ranging from qauds to monster trucks . the game reminds me alot of motor storm . i do like the idea of in races you can pretty much take any kinda short cut you can find but it gets very limeted in 90% of the races since thoose 90% of the races you ride in are ruled by tightly orginised check points that you have to pass through . so most of your races you will be pretty much stuck on the track . the game has 70+ cars in it which for some may be fine but for me after playing gran turismo 70 cars feels like nothing . the game also has abit of a freesing isue that will happen from time to time but you can save pretty much any where outside of in the middle of a race . the 5000 miles you get to race in also feels pretty empty and lifeless all you will see is rocks , trees and a few old building now and then and a occasion truck passing by . would have been nice to see some old citys in this waste land . the game does have some cool things going for it . like racing in a massive storm with things blowing all over the place and stuff being ripped up and thrown around . its just an shame that there arnt many races in the game like it . the challange mode is ok there are a few fun things you can do in it like get to point A to point B in the time aloud where you can take any path you like . the chopper race is rediculas for one you have no idea where the finish line is . you just have to follow the chopper and hope to hell you find it before the chopper crosses it . all in all its a ok racing game but with gran turismo 5 now out there . i dont think any racing fan is gona look at this now when you can get the king of racing games . Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2010
    let me tell u how i found this game. its nov. 2010 and i need a new racer. i still have blur but modnation split second, burnout and nfs undercover failed to impress. psn store is a great start. so i read about the tornado in game got me interested i download and race but i hate rally and nascar racing. it was entertaining but the computer let me win. it didnt have a car only alet me tell u how i found this game. its nov. 2010 and i need a new racer. i still have blur but modnation split second, burnout and nfs undercover failed to impress. psn store is a great start. so i read about the tornado in game got me interested i download and race but i hate rally and nascar racing. it was entertaining but the computer let me win. it didnt have a car only a motorcycle i also noted that the psn reviews was about 3.5. which is average to below. still i wanted to know more. online metacritic of course i read the reviews. open world racer, a lotta driving, weather conditions like rain and snow 75 cars, day night cycle, handling decent. ok. im still here. 48 trophies. 5000 miles of digital road, scenery, rivers, trees (guiness book of records) 70 races, 190 challenges. so this game is its own world and it lasts awhile. and i get to see stuff cost.. 14.99 used. HUH? I AM DOWN. if u go into this game thinking i just want to race this isnt it. it rates low because they did not check out what THIS GAMES SCOPE IS only what they thought it was. if ur curious u wanna drive, find stuff, race in different environments, sightsee, relax, take in some scenery THIS IS IT. look they did not make 5000 miles of nature to be ignored. they want u to see it. but they wont make u...if u are a completionist much meat on these bones. i love the graphics maybe its me but they look like everything else in every other game. except modcar which was graphically challenged. ok the guitar rifts will get on ur nerves but outside of that the game is NICE. just be aware that its more than racing. Expand
  3. Feb 5, 2011
    I was looking forward to playing this game as I have never seen one with the scope of magnitude that the map apparently had. but when I began, I realized that there is soooooo much area of the map empty, it became clear to me that no intelligent design went into this other than to make it huge just for the sake of being huge. yay, we've got the biggest map of any racing game out there! tooI was looking forward to playing this game as I have never seen one with the scope of magnitude that the map apparently had. but when I began, I realized that there is soooooo much area of the map empty, it became clear to me that no intelligent design went into this other than to make it huge just for the sake of being huge. yay, we've got the biggest map of any racing game out there! too bad there's barely anything IN IT! the AI of the cars you will race against quickly go between completely retarded to absolute and complete cheating **** how a car can be the same model and make of what you're using and be miles away in front of you within a minute is rediculous. this game was a huge mistake. Expand
  4. Jun 10, 2011
    Ah fuel. It's fun, that is no doubt. The absolute best part about it is the large, expansive world to just play around in, exploring one of the most beautiful landscapes video gaming has to offer. However, it is technically a race game. The problem is that the actual racing is a abysmal, frustrating chore required to unlock the expansive world.

Why is the racing so abysmal? The game

Why is the racing so abysmal? The game cheats. The game cheats horridly.
    How does the game cheat? Let me count the ways.

1. Even if you have the fastest vehicle in the game, it is impossible to accelerate faster than the pack, you have to wait for the individual members to reach their own "max speed" and pass them. The pack does not even have performance stats based on the vehicle they drive, as you do, but rather their starting position in the grid. The last cars will be able to be passed fairly quickly, but the lead cars will gain a 200+ meter lead in less than a second, as it seems they start the race already traveling at top speed.

2. The AI cars, no matter how spread out they were when you fought through the pack, will ALL be clumped around the car just following you. So if you passed the slow pokes early, and fought to the lead, and have just now passed the leader (who was cheatingly far ahead of the rest), and then make one mistake enough that the former leader passes you, the rest of the pack will all be in a clump right behind him, and pass you.

3. The AI cars do not follow the physics you do. This is a major problem which makes the it enourmously frustrating to fight through the pack, because any bump with the AI car will result in the AI car veering into you and running you off the road, even if you are twice their size. The AI has unnatural grip, and you have almost none. A single bump from them sends you careening all over the place, while even trying to pull a PITT maneuver on them results in nothing more than you being run off the road while they continue unhindered. Aggressive driving will only ever slow you down.

4. The AI teleports after errors. I've been run off the road by the AI, but as I was in an offroad truck, I decided to fight through and run back to the road. well, the AI didn't like being off road with me, so they teleported back to the road at full speed to join the rest of the pack. Any attempt for you to use the "reset" button to teleport back onto the road after an error has you immobile for a few seconds, then have to accelerate painfully slow to rejoin the race. The AI teleports and does not just return to the track, but returns to the middle of the pack at full speed already.

There are more ways that the AI cheats, that are more just variations on those main 4 ways, but those are the most concise. The cheating makes the races frustratingly difficult, with much foul language upon the multitude of restarts required.

The fun of the game, and why I do not get rid of it, is the wide open world. I'm a player who likes a game that is more "toy" than "game", and the ability to drive like a hooligan through a multitude of beautiful and wonderfully rendered landscapes, with seemingly no limit to where I can roam, is wonderful. It's actually quite fun and relaxing to me to be able to play the game in the free roam, and meet personal challenges of "Reach the top of that mountain" or "find a way up this cliff" make the game very enjoyable.

I just wish it was not required to race against that godawful AI in order to unlock the wide world or the more entertaining vehicles.
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    Awful. It was a huge let down as it was coming from Codemasters who made DiRT and GRID, I was expecting it to be good. This game is boring and pointless.
  6. Mar 20, 2012
    I loved it. One of the few games in which you are not in a prepared gameworld, but it felt like a real world in which you happened to drive. I couldn't finish it, at the end it was to hard for me. I never understood the hard critisism
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    I like fuel. although It wasn't as good as I was expecting. Good, but could have been better. the good things first. obviously the massive world is one thing. It's great to be able to explore a world. The weather plus the day/night cycle is cool. I was expecting tornadoes in free roam, but that was when I was younger, before understanding that doing that would be almost impossible. TheI like fuel. although It wasn't as good as I was expecting. Good, but could have been better. the good things first. obviously the massive world is one thing. It's great to be able to explore a world. The weather plus the day/night cycle is cool. I was expecting tornadoes in free roam, but that was when I was younger, before understanding that doing that would be almost impossible. The races are fun too. I don't know what anyone means about easy Ai! I play until I unlock the four areas before dust bowl city, and I have not got past since! I love the cars. You can choose from a massive array of cars, and when in free roam, it couldn't be easier to change to a different car. See a hill your truck can't handle? pop into pause and get a dirt bike! I'll be honest I was expecting more tornadoes. As far as I know, only TWO races have them in. I thought you'd get all the areas from the beginning for some odd reason. There is little damage on your cars. smoke comes out. that's it. sometimes, I don;t feel rewarded for winning or exploring. I'll drive for half an hour and find one set of oil barrels. all those problems, I can live with. The only REAL problem I have, is how bland and repetitive the area is. although, to be fair, I wasn't expecting sprawling cities in the apocalypse... To conclude, This game is great! I was just expecting more when I saw the trailer... I give it... 8/10! Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    Fuel is a fantastic racing game, unique at it's core and fun for hours on end. It boats a huge map area, many different collectibles and side activities, along with several areas that you will unlock piece by piece as you progress through your racing career. Sometimes, it's fun to just travel around and take a look at the world around you, and other times you may head to a race for a bitFuel is a fantastic racing game, unique at it's core and fun for hours on end. It boats a huge map area, many different collectibles and side activities, along with several areas that you will unlock piece by piece as you progress through your racing career. Sometimes, it's fun to just travel around and take a look at the world around you, and other times you may head to a race for a bit of a challenge. There's not much to say, so I'll sum it up as clearly as possible;

Unique, interesting, large, fun, varied and beautiful.
  9. Nov 6, 2014
    Absolutely massive racer, with each zone being bigger than a GTA map by itself. Unfortunately there is very little to do in the open world besides race in the dozens of challenges. The sheer scope means a lot of little potential extras were neglected.

1. So you can keep your super serious racers with their parts, bins, gear ratios and manicured race tracks; I'll be playing Fuel with its tornadoes, hovercraft and XXL off-roading. [June 2009, p.92]
  2. There's no denying Asobo's achievement in building such a daring, beautiful landscape on such a vast scale, but the core of any good racing game is falling in love with its vehicles, the things you can do with them, and the places you can take them, and by that measure FUEL is distinctly average.
  3. Fuel is without a doubt a complete game, that thanks to the numerous unlockable areas, cars, challenges and so on, reaches an enviable longevity. Unfortunately the gameplay lacks all the functionality typical of the competition, and there are some techincal issues that ruin the overall score. Fuel is a game for all arcade-off-road racing games, but beware as you won't find the dynamism of Motorstorm nor the attention to detail of Pure, but a different game, with good free-roaming gameplay.