Game of Thrones PlayStation 3

5.5

1. May 18, 2012
    This game is for fans of the books and HBO show. The story is what's amazing about this game. If you can look past the minor graphics/gameplay issues, you give yourself the opportunity to enjoy an intricate, twisting, well-written story.
    I haven't read the books, but I watch the show. As I'm now a third through the game, I can really see similarities between the writing/presentation/dialogue of the show and game. Every chapter has ended leaving you eager to get to the next.
    That being said, this game should not and doesn't feel like an open world RPG. Which is good for me, because I really don't enjoy RPGs. I never can put the time necessary into them. But if you're looking for Skyrim or Mass Effect, it ain't here. Any areas I've "explored" I just end up being directed to later as part of an objective. There's really no point exploring.
    I'm probably among the minority when I say I enjoy the combat system. Each enemy encounter is different. Sometimes they're easy or just easy enough you shouldn't have used any health potion because you'll need them for the hard encounters. Save often.
    But the AI can really take you out of the moment sometimes, like when your archer ally keeps shooting your soldier ally in the back.
    This game would have been a 10 if they added 2 more characters and copied Heavy Rain's gameplay.
    If your a Game of Thrones fan, you will enjoy this game!
  2. Jun 27, 2012
    The strongest aspect about this game is the story, no question about it. The rest is, indeed, a bit bland and occasionally sub-par. The gameplay works in a very traditional way (reminded me of Dragon Age), the voice acting is quite good, but the graphics are nothing to write home about. This is, in fact, a game for fans (both the books and the show), but this does not mean other playersThe strongest aspect about this game is the story, no question about it. The rest is, indeed, a bit bland and occasionally sub-par. The gameplay works in a very traditional way (reminded me of Dragon Age), the voice acting is quite good, but the graphics are nothing to write home about. This is, in fact, a game for fans (both the books and the show), but this does not mean other players won't enjoy it. It's not a 10, definitely; it's not a 5, either. It owns a solid 7 in my opinion. It has flaws, but the great story makes up for it. Anyone slightly interested should give this game a chance. Expand
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    Clumsy controls ruin an otherwise decent game. It's missing the polish that would do justice to the GoT franchise, but if you're a fan, it's worthwhile. The story is intriguing and has the usual Fire and Ice horribleness. The character development is fair, though the controls aren't good enough to make using the skills really fun in combat. I really think this game is either heavilyClumsy controls ruin an otherwise decent game. It's missing the polish that would do justice to the GoT franchise, but if you're a fan, it's worthwhile. The story is intriguing and has the usual Fire and Ice horribleness. The character development is fair, though the controls aren't good enough to make using the skills really fun in combat. I really think this game is either heavily under- or slightly overrated. It's playable and enjoyable, but like a lot of other Atlus published titles, doesn't really compete with the Bioware/Bethesda/SquEnix competition. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2017
    Follows a bit the same scheme and mechanics as the first TWD series games, at least it's a bit better than "Batman the Telltale Series" (that one SUCKS big time). The graphics are okayish, at least nor as cartoonish as other games, but still these look more proper to a PS2 system. Which once more brings us to the typical problem with Telltale games, these are all the time loading betweenFollows a bit the same scheme and mechanics as the first TWD series games, at least it's a bit better than "Batman the Telltale Series" (that one SUCKS big time). The graphics are okayish, at least nor as cartoonish as other games, but still these look more proper to a PS2 system. Which once more brings us to the typical problem with Telltale games, these are all the time loading between scenes or angles, and damn... this game must have the longest loading screens, specially after you press start in the title screen... other than this, well, like usual you can beat these games with closed eyes, but compared to other telltale games this one seems that the decisions really matter... but still. I'm not a big fan of Game of Thrones but I guess those who are, will get dissapointed. Expand

1. Play UK
    Jul 10, 2012
    Lacking. [Issue#220, p.76]
  2. Jul 9, 2012
    The story is worthy of the name, but unfortunately the rest of the game is nowhere near as good as the series it is based on. This could and should have been much better.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 4, 2012
    Combat is turn-based stuff that's a hasty facsimilie of Dragon Age: Origins. It's hard to get a kick out of any of these battles when your enemies are clones with all the guile of Hodor the village idiot. Expect no thrill from the grind, either, as the skill trees unlock stat 'boosts' more miniscule than Tyrion. Likewise, rare items are ridiculously so and the purchasable gear is so unattainably priced, not even a Lannister could pay their debts. [July 2012, p83]