God of War: Ascension PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.6

1. Jun 11, 2013
    God of War Ascension is the prequel to the God of war series, before the very first God of War.

As a big God of War fan, the first significant difference I noticed in Ascension is the game play and the improved graphics. There are a lot of improvements in the graphics as mention before, when you brutally slice and dice a cyclops stomach open, you can see the guts and other insides spewing right out. Kratos now get covered in blood when fighting enemies. LIKE!

Gameplay, however was changed significantly. Instead of possessing different kinds of big weapons taken from various Boss enemies, Kratos is limited to his "blades of Chaos', his default weapons. However, he can carry one additional weapon found in the world, or fallen enemies such as swords, javelins or even clubs and use it towards his advantage. The traditional "God powers" gained in the game are "elemental" powers from corresponding Gods. For example, one power is gained from Zeus which allows you to coat your blades of chaos with lightning, and unlocking more special combos. Because of these powers, it makes combat feel very repetitive as you constantly using the same weapon with a different element attached to it.

Initially in combat, Kratos cannot use all his combos and powers. Kratos now has a 'rage' meter, displayed at the bottom right of the screen whenever he engages in combat. In order to use his fighting combos more effectively, the meter has to be filled out completely, and sometimes if unlocked, you have the ability to perform a 'special' move depending on which corresponding power you have equipped. It is a massive chore to fill the meter up, because if you get hit, the meter decreases, and it delays you to use the good powers.

Another good thing is the fact that there are numerous amounts of new enemies to be battled! Each new enemy now has a unique fighting style, significantly more different than from the previous God of War games. You will almost never fight the same enemy constantly in this game, as there are new ones coming in constantly, which require you to come up with new tactics in order to defeat them.

A annoyance i discovered in the game is the difficulty system affecting gameplay. Instead of enemies killing you easier as you increase the difficulty, the enemies become harder to kill, which can be such a chore as it will sometimes take forever just to kill your basic enemy.

The story does not explain too much, but it fills in a few gaps about Kratos past and what happened before his pursue on Ares.

The game is still bloody good though, above average quality.

Summary:

Like:
    -Brand new enemies to be fought
    -Improved graphics
    -Fun gameplay

Dislike:
    -Gameplay can be quite repetitive at times.
    -No more badass powers that made God of War, God of War.
    -Difficulty setting makes enemies harder to kill, making combat a chore sometimes.
  2. Apr 26, 2013
    Over all. NOT impressed.

I know its bad to judge a game based off of its predecessors but, This is no where near GoW1-3.. Its a step back. WEAK story & Combat never changes.

GoW: Ascension gets a 4 simply cause of Multiplayer. Multiplayer is very satisfying and fun for me. & the only reason Im actually happy I bought GoW: Ascension.
  3. Mar 20, 2013
    I think GOW Ascension is a great game. The reason people rate it low is because they compare it to its predecessors. But when you look at Ascension without comparing it to any other game you will find that it is an amazing game done on a console that developers have squeezed every ounce of power to get it running. The graphics is the best, multiplayer is fun and game play is also amazing.I think GOW Ascension is a great game. The reason people rate it low is because they compare it to its predecessors. But when you look at Ascension without comparing it to any other game you will find that it is an amazing game done on a console that developers have squeezed every ounce of power to get it running. The graphics is the best, multiplayer is fun and game play is also amazing. Overall Ascension is a great game that no one will regret playing. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    Got game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountainGot game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountain with some of the best platforming sections I have played in a long time. Puzzles are also abundant and imho represent the highlight of the series in this aspect. Boss battles are limited but epic nonetheless. Level design is top notch, the top of the mountain one, is arguably the best I have seen in a GOW game. GOWA is a COMPLETELY different game than GOW3, it is hands down the entry with the most variety, while remaining true to the series roots. The problem with many of the reviews I read is that they read too much like a GOWA- GOW3 comparison, rather than a review of the game itself. Expand
  5. Aug 11, 2013
    Finished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the gameFinished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the game broke...I was so angry. I tried resetting checkpoint but didn't work. Deleted the patch, then it worked... :

Final boss battle was terribly easy as well. The game tried to make me feel bad for Kratos, it only managed to piss me off to the point I don't wanna play another GOW game ever again. Santa Monica, God of War 3 was the pinnacle of the series, it is time to move on.
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    The game innovated in all aspects, has great graphics, great soundtrack, a fantastic story, which makes you hold every second, has an amazing replay factor, a multiplayer to be played for about 5 years straight, a game that deserves the crown of best game of all time!
  7. Apr 7, 2013
    When judged as a game on it's own, i'd give this game a 9, but since this comes after more than 3 other GOW games it really falls short.

The graphics and environments are magnificent as always, perhaps better than any other GOW game, and fortunately there is little backtracking. The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is

The Story line jumps around quite a bit, with little explanation for the first few hours. Once it is explained it all falls into place and gives the game more meaning and enjoyment.

If you are a GOW veteran, you will immediately notice that this game feels different. Firstly I noticed how quiet the game is, with hardly any background music in combat except for boss battles. Combat is very 'samey' as opposed to other GOW games, as your only weapons are the blades of chaos which do get elemental upgrades, but these hardly change combat. The rage system is fatally flawed, with you slowly gaining rage during combat, but if you get hit once or twice it resets almost to zero which makes fights painfully long, as does the fact that most enemies seem to have an extremely massive amount of health.

The upgrades are not at all exciting, with each element adding almost the same combos to your blades, just with a different color. The elements don't do much at all, except when your rage bar is full, or when you use magic, in which the spell is determined by the element currently equipped.

There are quite a few extremely annoying sections wherein Kratos is in the back of the scene, so small you can hardly see but still in battle, and quick-time sections that are extremely unforgiving which takes much trial and error to see the tiny quick-time indicators that flicker away in less than a second. For example all of the sliding sections could be removed completely as these were extremely frustrating.

Most of the puzzles are well executed, with only a few moments of confusion which actually made the puzzles more enjoyable. There was only one puzzle that made little sense and after half an hour of trial and error I resulted in looking up an online guide.

Enemy variety was a bit lacking, with enemy types seeming to be random in most locations. Most other GOW games, the enemies fit the area, but here in many places it seemed like any enemy would be randomly thrown into battle. Many battles were painfully long, with wave after wave of enemies joining the fight before the previous wave had been defeated.

After finishing the single player, and playing the multi-player tutorial, it became clear why the combat in single player is so limited (and boring). Multi-player includes various weapons that are sadly lacking from single player, which add much needed variety and complexity to combat.

If the multiplayer weapons were added to the single-player campaign, more music was added throughout, and less godlike enemies with more more enemy variety, this game would be 10/10.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    I love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts theI love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts the game felt as though i was playing Heavenly sword. It's something to do with the set pieces, the way the camera shifts while facing a boss. It just doesn't feel like a GOW game. As for the combat mechanics all I have to say is why fix something that wasn't broken. If anything the combat system of GOW defines the game. Changing it changes the whole feel of the game and as this is basically the sixth instalment of the game, if you count the PSP versions, the change in the way you have to play this game does not come naturally. Come on if you've been playing a game a certain way for so many years how should you feel when somebody comes along and decides to change it. Personally I am not Happy. I Like change but any change that is implemented on an already well established franchise should feel natural when executed. The culprit to blame? Multiplayer! Sure all of the combat changes made do make the multiplayer work but this is GOW, I DON'T CARE ABOUT MULTIPLAYER!!. Honestly GOW multiplayer is not good enough to last the initial curiosity. I hate that feeling I get that after playing a game...that I have wasted my money. Expand
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    God of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete theGod of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete the single player part of the game, just not worth it. Expand
  10. Mar 27, 2013
    Funny how COD is the same copy and paste multiplayer joke with just a slightly different name but always end up getting good scores. But when another game becomes slightly repetitive, everyone flames it and gives it low scores. If you're a true GoW fan, you will enjoy this game very much and ignore these BS reviews. It is very well crafted and although it's not a 10/10, it definitelyFunny how COD is the same copy and paste multiplayer joke with just a slightly different name but always end up getting good scores. But when another game becomes slightly repetitive, everyone flames it and gives it low scores. If you're a true GoW fan, you will enjoy this game very much and ignore these BS reviews. It is very well crafted and although it's not a 10/10, it definitely deserves a score of above 8.5. Expand
  11. May 25, 2013
    The story is not as good as claimed, Not as cool boss fights as GOW3. Most enemies can be conclusively grabbed then thrown away and the fighting is over all broken. I give it 5 cuz i like GOW2.
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    Enquanto Ascensão divertido, mas não está nem perto de GOW3. A história de combate mais fraco e menos satisfatória. No modo rígido, os inimigos são muito tornando-se, por vezes, uma tarefa para limpar todas as desovas.
  13. Mar 15, 2013
    Comprehensive review of the single player (haven't even tried multiplayer yet and single player is why I play this series) from an oldschool gamer (for those who care to read a review that's probably way too long lol)

Been in love with this series since the first game. I've been gaming since the early 90's, and mostly I prefer old school games. But something about the GOW series really stands out to me- the combination of outrageous graphics, epic soundtrack and bosses, the combat, story, etc. Playing these games on hard or titan difficulty results in a huge adrenaline rush, after going through the same fight 15 times, only to finally win with just a sliver of life remaining. The combat and controls are always so tight that when you die, you really feel like it's your own fault and not the game's cheapness. Despite some of the reviews floating around, for me this game is no different in that regard. The changes in combat do make the game feel a bit different than previous ones, but after playing through 6 god of war games multiple times, I welcome some variety. If it had been identical to previous ones, I can GUARANTEE that people would rip it apart for being too similar. At least they tried something a little different, in terms of the parry system and move list. This is a prequel, so Kratos should be weaker than in GoW 3. This is well represented by the game being slightly more challenging, and by throwing more enemies at you. The claims that it is cheap in its difficulty are exaggerated though; I never have to do a fight more than a few times to continue.

GRAPHICS- the best the series has seen. Amazing setpieces, lighting, animations, depth of field effects, motion blur. Probably the best looking console game I've EVER seen.
    AUDIO- epic soundtrack as always. Noticed a few audio glitches, but I heard they will be patched, and it's nothing too serious, unless you're a whiny who likes to complain about every minor detail.
    GAMEPLAY- some of the finest, most intense combat the series has seen. I do prefer the old parry system, but I appreciate that they tried to change it up, to translate Kratos' early period/relative weakness into a gameplay mechanic. I also think this game has by far the most interesting puzzles in the entire series.
    STORY- here is where the game takes a bit of a hit compared to previous games. Definitely the weakest in the entire series in terms of story. I mean, GoW 3 has you killing the king of the gods, as well as his entire crew...how can you possibly come close to matching that. The first 5-6 hours has a story that is paper thin, and had me trying to remember what was the plot and why was I fighting? But the fact is this is already the third prequel they have made for this series, and therefore a lot of backstory has already been explored. It's not that the story is bad, more like nonexistent. Eventually things do pick up in terms of plot progression, but really the first half of the game felt like pure GoW minus any plot. Definitely feels a bit weird. Ultimately though, the gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, and overall epicness of the setpieces, and brutality of the action add up to make an excellent game. Even IF this is the worst in the series in terms of story, it still DESTROYS most other games out there, and as a prequel I think it is still a very entertaining and well made game. No other game gets me to actually scream and bug out as I play, from the excitement it generates. This game is no different. The biggest downside besides the lack of a truly compelling story, is the fact that now I have to wait 3 or more years to play GoW 4 on the ps4. I really don't want to wait that long. Oh well, the multiplayer should hopefully keep me busy until then
  14. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it isThis game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!!

15. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  16. Mar 13, 2013
    Disappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. YouDisappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. You dont even get a good reason for why Kratos wants to kill them. There's no story buildup and because of this, i just couldnt care for the villains. I didn't root for Kratos to topple the furies as i did against Ares in the first game or Zeus in the 3rd one. Not to mention after seeing what happens in 3, the furies just didn't seem like a threat. They felt like a much less intimidating sisters of fate. Outside of the lacking story, some changes were made to the actual gameplay. While some are welcome additions (the item usage) others are not. The new rage bar is annoying. Basically, your more powerful combos and more exciting moves that were always accessible in previous GoW (provided you input the correct buttons) are now only accessible by basically button maching your way to fill up your rage bar. Rage bar isn't full? No combos for you my friend. I hope the rage bar is something they do away with, or at least fix it. In its current state, its broken and turns the game into a button mash fest. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Its amazing how impressive a game can look on 7 year old hardware. And for a game to look this good with non existant load times is even better. Seriously, this is probably the best looking game of this gen. The music is also great. It's your typical god of war goodness. The soundtrack isnt as varied as past games, but its still enjoyable and tends to fit the mood. And lastly, the most important thing... The boss fights. My biggest issue with the game is actually the boss fights. While all fun, they lack that god of war feel. I guess it's not fair to compare it to the boss fights in GoW 3, but seriously, they dont even compare to early GoWs. Not a single boss in the game feels threatening, and thats because there is 0 development with any of these villains. If the game would have actually developed the plot instead of taking us from set piece to set piece some of these fights could have been truly memorable. At least the first fight against the furies is cool. Probably the best fight in the game due to the fact that you are fighting 3 things at once. Multiplayer is fun. It's a lot better than you'd expect from a game that never had multiplayer prior. The combat system works and the god allegiance thing is cool. FFA is the best mode by far though. Even with all the missteps, i still found the game to be fun. It definitely is God of War, but it's not what many of us were hoping for. Hopefully the good people at Santa Monica can give us a truly remarkable experience with the next game. If you liked previous entries in the series, you'll like this game but likely will be a bit disappointed as i was. If you've never played a god of war game before, i'm sure you'll find this game to be above and beyond what you expected. Expand
  17. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutalEl Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  19. Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God ofBottom Line: God of War Ascension is fun and it successfully continues to implement and expand on the puzzles and combat mechanics that have defined this franchise. However, the plot is the same repetitive story line line used in other installments of the franchises. If you are looking for something new to be adding to the God of War Mythos you won't find it in Ascension. The good: God of war is addictive with his high paced action sequences and it pace changing puzzles that prevent the fighting action sequences from becoming stale. It is very easy to get immersed into the experience through the proper tone and easy flow the combat mechanics have. Nothing feels clunky or out of place and even the variety of artifacts Kratos picks up on the journey have their place in combat adding to the narrative without making it feel like a cheap gimmick. The bad: Unfortunately there is no new innovations when it comes to the plot. I obviously don't want to give away the ending, but Kratos for the longest time has been on a journey to free himself from his guilt and all this game does is continue the same plot points. You could probably replace the furies, the antagonists in this game, with Ares and you could reasonable argue that you have god of war clone. The entire plot of Ascension is pretty much the same as God of War chains of Olympus, where Kratos is told or promised that he can be free from his inner curse, but ultimately the promise falls flat. I for one was looking for a bit more. Outside of game play some puzzle are challenging not because you have to think but because you have Kratos standing in the wrong place. During my run through I came across a pinwheel puzzle and while I was able to figure out how to solve it in about 2 minutes it took me forever to figure out where I had to have Kratos stand so I could use his special artifact. Expand
  20. Mar 18, 2013
    Here's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to meHere's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to me feels exactly like the PSP titles, stripped of all the bells and whistles of it's console brethren, only on a big system instead of a portable. Which is a shame, because the game looks great, and plays great, but the story is extremely weak (in fact, I never really knew what I was doing other than just out to kill stuff), the game has a major weapon and equipment setback (only the Blades of Fury, and now you no longer have Pegasus Wings or the Golden Fleece, or anything cool for that matter), and the biggest problem is the game just lacks that "epic" feel of the previous games. There are no Greek Gods to kill this time around, which is a letdown, and the bosses are all pretty hum-drum. Multiplayer is pretty ho-hum a well, and probably won't really keep you entertained for more than an hour before it will have run it's course. It's clearly an experiment, and lets just hope it stays on the cutting room floor for God of War 4. Save your money and either rent this game, or wait for a nice price drop! Expand
  21. Mar 16, 2013
    for me god of war ascension is the best game of the series and i really don't understand why critics don't love it, it has amazing graphics,awesome and satisfying combat,great puzzles and an interesting story,what more can you ask?
  22. Mar 6, 2016
    Maybe is the weakest game of the franchise but if you pass the fact that must compare it with god of war 3 its prety decent game ,for me is pointles game and the story could have been a litle better but i like it ,the gameplay is almost the same witch is good and also you can give punches and kicks witch is good add at the gameplay,i always find it weird that kratos couldnt give punchesMaybe is the weakest game of the franchise but if you pass the fact that must compare it with god of war 3 its prety decent game ,for me is pointles game and the story could have been a litle better but i like it ,the gameplay is almost the same witch is good and also you can give punches and kicks witch is good add at the gameplay,i always find it weird that kratos couldnt give punches and kicks but now he feels more completed and the climbing system is good and a litle bit more realistic and complicated ,quick time events are good now and challenging overall the combat system is better but it lacks at story so 8,3/10 Expand
  23. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  24. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  25. Mar 14, 2013
    Avaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, GodAvaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, God of War Ascension pode não ser o melhor da série, mais tirando seus antecessores, de longe o melhor hack'n slash da geração. Abraço e fiquem com Deus! Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    Yes it's not going to have all the weapons and epic moments like god of war 3 but its a prequel. People need to understand this. God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well. Multiplayer is also brilliant!. Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just
    Loved it!.
    Best looking game to date.
    God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well.

Multiplayer is also brilliant!.
    Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just crap at this game?.
    I and from my research on the feedback on gowa multiplayer has all been extremely positive. Fun and addictive is the most used words when it comes to multiplayer, I totally agree. this game gets a full 10 from me.
  27. Mar 28, 2013
    The new block parry move is totally and that is all I can really say about this game. the PSP games were better than this. Its just so fricking boring.
  28. May 1, 2013
    Ascension brought multiplayer to one of the best franchises. You see Kratos smile in the game.. a genuine smile crosses his face; if that's not enough for fans out there then I don't know what is.
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    I am one hell of a GoW fan, and so it hurts me deeply to see such a disappointing, utterly unnecessary... thing.

The game is poorly paced, thanks to a complete lack of any motivation getting you through pretty setpiece to underwhelming boss fight, with extra annoying monsters to pad the gaps. The bestiary is lacking (think Silent Hill: Downpour), and its limited assets keep swapping elements and/or color. The Blizzard School of Enemy Design, I see...

Music is good, though easily forgettable, and the sound, my God! the sound keeps getting cut during cutscenes, resulting in a audiovisual experience. Or the game bugs. That's a nice touch.

I don't know about multiplayer, because I certainly wouldn't touch the thing, but let me tell you that if it shows the same lack of polish the solo campaign does, well...

All in all, it should be noted that Ascension brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. Everuthing it does, it was done better by previous GoW titles... Even by previous rip-offs. It is a cut and paste job straight from the GoW 3 Scrapyard, complete with a boring story and too few interesting sights to behold. I never thought I would see the day Chains of Olympus was going to be out-sucked. Todd Pappy should retire. That is all!
  30. Mar 23, 2013
    The problem whit God of War is that it's always the same game copypasted over and over, and now it's really flame, too much easy and the gameplay doesn't change from the other titles...
  31. Mar 25, 2013
    I wanted to do a review of the God of War Ascension because people are saying things that doesn't make sense. God of War Ascension is a God of War game. It feels like a God of War game. There are a few tweaks like the rage meter and it is a good thing. It makes a bit less button mashing game and wants you to dodge more and be less careless about the incoming attacks. Overall the game isI wanted to do a review of the God of War Ascension because people are saying things that doesn't make sense. God of War Ascension is a God of War game. It feels like a God of War game. There are a few tweaks like the rage meter and it is a good thing. It makes a bit less button mashing game and wants you to dodge more and be less careless about the incoming attacks. Overall the game is epic. Don't listen to those fools who do not appreciate new tweaks. Otherwise it would be the same game after all and everybody will be bored after playing it. Story is good. Don't worry no spoilers. Kratos is the same. He owns nothing and offers nothing :D. And i am not talking about multiplayer! It is hell of a fun. If you love God of War series you should play it. It is worth 60 bucks. If you are still not convinced than go and try out the God of War Ascension Demo. Expand
  32. Jan 2, 2014
    Ascension is a good game, but should a God of War game really just be good? Compared to God of War 3, ascension is nothing! The multiplayer is pretty good but gets boring fast and the story is utter crap aside from the first boss battle. A good game but a very disappointing addition to the series.
  33. Apr 3, 2015
    Actually this game [god of war ascension] sucks at the Beginning of the game, every thing every image was so good i was like this game, is the next big thing to god of war 3 but then came the puzzles then i started having headache it took me 2 hours just to get of of a statue statue eye of something it felt like the creators of the god of war of has lost their groove seriously the gameActually this game [god of war ascension] sucks at the Beginning of the game, every thing every image was so good i was like this game, is the next big thing to god of war 3 but then came the puzzles then i started having headache it took me 2 hours just to get of of a statue statue eye of something it felt like the creators of the god of war of has lost their groove seriously the game was a big disappointment. Expand
  34. Aug 14, 2013
    After playing all the other God Of Wars (except the portable versions) this game was horrible.
    It felt like a cash in of Call Of Duty where nothing changes. Granted not a lot of the God Of Wars change much but the story was so boring. Countless times playingthe game i started dozzing off in my chair and had to turn off the game. The eemies took 30sec to 1 min. each to kill on normal difficulty and there was nothing engaging about the story or character to continue through like the other games. I got 5 hours in and took the game back to gamestop. I felt so horrible doing this but i felt like i was forcing myself to complete this game instead of enjoying the experience. This is the worst God Of War in my opinion.
    Nice graphics boring gamplay horrid story
  35. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well for me the game is just super amazing. I totally don't understand people saying that this game isn't as epic as GoW3. Damn, Ascension just cannot be as epic as 3rd part of kratos journey because it's a prologue. Personally I think the game is just crazy good. It got everything in it. The story is good and matches to one smooth piece. There is less action in some moments and more platform jumping,climbing etc etc which I think is actually really good becouse I always like the enviromental aspects of the game. All the swings,jumps,climbs are even more fun that before. Puzzles,well they never been hard in any part of GoW and its no different now. I hate people that says there are no reall EPIC boss fights in Ascension. Sure we aint got bosses on such a enourmusly huge scale like it was in other GoW parts bit personally I think that bosses we face in Ascension are ripping your ass right under your neck. Serously. Fighting with Infected 100-hand man or the sisters themselfs and the final battle with the Queen,all that gives absolutley huge fun and satisfaction. About combat, some moroons said that combat is bad,complicated etc etc that parrying doesnt make any sense yada yada. People who says so just can't play the game and are just weak in it. Me as old veteran of the series had no problems to get use to twixed combat system. You can change the blade of chaos with 4 diffrent attunements right when you are doing combos. Some1 said that you cant make any combos as you are bounded to the Rage meter. That a piece of crap. you just can't play like a puss and smach all buttons and launch heaviest combo.You must mix attacks with succesfull parries ,dodges and R1 grabs and then you press R3+L3 and in meantime you change attunement and lounch special magic attack. However for people that are just bad at GoW games they will moan about screwd combat system which for me is just freshed,intuicional and feel like good old Kratos in action with few upgrades and possibilities to make the combat more spectacular. I finished the game on titan mode which was a nice and hard challange in some moments. After that I was complitely sucked in by multiplayer where I unleash my bloodthirst upon reall players All in all its a MUST HAVE for all GoW fans and those that are starting their adventure with Kratos will get the chance to know how it all started,know Kratos more from the human side etc etc Just brilliant game Expand
  36. Mar 12, 2013
    I was excited to see what new was there in the new GOW, sadly the game felt the same as the old one it was nothing but mash this, kill that, after all these years i expected the combat to change but it was the same more or less.

The game was slightly better than DmC but overall felt like a beat em up than hack & slash the chain blade weapon is slow this time around giving the illusion AI being challenging a bit, the sound effects are good,but i overall didn't like the too dramatic scripted boss battles, the world feels empty & hollow at times & i couldn't wait for the demo to end, sorry this is the truth, IMO after so many years of GOW sony could have improved the game

If you weren't into god of war before then you wont be now, with the Online MP said to be underwhelming, i don't find anything appealing about the game

In the end it's just another button masher & gore game for fans of such thing, which is a shame really since santa monica have developed quite the repute, mainstream gamers & GOW cult gamers will love it, not sure about people like me who want challenging grunt enemies, fun combat with loads of weapons, live surrounding which lets you soak the atmosphere & less brainless button mashing
  37. Aug 31, 2013
    God of War Ascension is a disappointing game, but at the same time, a very good game. My exceptancys were very high, but the plot is very bad. Obviously, the game contain all the good mechanics, graphics and brutal violence of the previous games and this saves the game and makes it worth playing
  38. Mar 18, 2013
    Once again critics seem to be biased. To expect the scale of what you do in GOW 3 in this game is unreasonable because there is nothing higher than the gods. Having said that this game is epic in its own right. In terms of graphics it is amazing. The music, gameplay, and replay value is also up through the roof. The game has no real flaws. Being more of the same cannot subtract 20 pointsOnce again critics seem to be biased. To expect the scale of what you do in GOW 3 in this game is unreasonable because there is nothing higher than the gods. Having said that this game is epic in its own right. In terms of graphics it is amazing. The music, gameplay, and replay value is also up through the roof. The game has no real flaws. Being more of the same cannot subtract 20 points from the game and so critics are very unreasonable and more passionate about what they would have liked in the game more than being objective and grading the game based on quality for which it doesn't fail. Proof of what I say is the 92 metacritic score of Uncharted 3, that game has less innovation than this GOW but they gave it a higher review. The truth of the matter is that GOW fans and new players alike will enjoy this game greatly and will likely replay the single player various times. As for the multiplayer, it is great and last time I looked there were very few melee type of online games so it should get more credit. People that like action games will love this game. Expand
  39. Mar 19, 2013
    God Of War Ascension: Is in my opinion the best in the series. The graphics are amazing and the story is great. Well worth £40,The only moan I have is the camera can switch, which can be annoying.
  40. Mar 25, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this and feel a little let down. The game is still fun, with great combat and nifty combos. Some of the puzzles seem like they hold your hand and tell you everything while others are very vague in what the solution could be. All in all this is a fun and solid game, we've just seen this all before in previous God of War games.
  41. Apr 11, 2013
    Sony needs to take a break from the God of War series, as it is apparent they have wandered off the path of leading the charge of making the #1 action-adventure game.

Very strange advancing in story, flow of gameplay is awkward, you cannot backtrack when you want to, but do backtrack in odd ways later on, unable to reach secrets you may have missed. The combat doesn't feel as perfected as God of War 3. It's also much harder to avoid getting hit, stunned, and interrupted. Some skills cannot be used in a number of fights due to being interrupted and stunned constantly, that includes most area-of-effect moves. I dislike the weapon "elements" system, I find myself missing alternate weapons which all previous God of War games had. I dislike using weapons you find lying around, as most feel inferior (not the hammer, though, lack of moves still). Puzzles are also a bit "off," in this game compared to the others. The world in some places also feel hollow, such as in the "water wheel" area. And also, strange sudden difficulty spikes.

I hope future God of War titles don't trend in the same vein as this game. Please return to the God of War 3 feeling. It doesn't have to be as..."epic," but the feeling experienced throughout the GoW 3 is what Sony should aim for, in consistency.
  42. Apr 14, 2013
    Ascension is a Great and Awesome game with Improved combat system but the storyline is great but it didn't explain much of kratos origins but its a great game that many GOW fans will enjoy
  43. Apr 29, 2013
    God of War Ascension may not be as epic as God of War III, but this is a prequel, and it is an amazing game with satisfying combat and fun multiplayer.
  44. Jul 20, 2013
    Hello everyone. I play value per hard difficulty as to the single-player campaign. This is the first sound stutters often and even non-existent. Secondly, the combat system is terrible, the opponents are attacking chaotic. Attacks can be blocked only in part, the opponents can easily kratosowi stop almost any attack, and Kratos can only stop these attacks simply an enemy and only if thereHello everyone. I play value per hard difficulty as to the single-player campaign. This is the first sound stutters often and even non-existent. Secondly, the combat system is terrible, the opponents are attacking chaotic. Attacks can be blocked only in part, the opponents can easily kratosowi stop almost any attack, and Kratos can only stop these attacks simply an enemy and only if there are six or less. Cutscenes feature crazy character models disappear from the screen. Overall, the game is a piece of junk. Gow 3 when the game is a masterpiece! Do not buy God of War: Ascension. Expand
  45. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is as God of War, as God of War can be. From the regular brutal slayings of mammoth sized to the sound of a titan hitting the ground. God of War Ascension ascends past all of its previous entries and in doing so stumbles in one major pitfall. One it created by it's own choosing might I add, the multiplayer. The multiplayer feels like a haphazard idea from the moment you wince atThis game is as God of War, as God of War can be. From the regular brutal slayings of mammoth sized to the sound of a titan hitting the ground. God of War Ascension ascends past all of its previous entries and in doing so stumbles in one major pitfall. One it created by it's own choosing might I add, the multiplayer. The multiplayer feels like a haphazard idea from the moment you wince at the sight of it being proudly displayed at the back of the box. God of War has become a goliath in a world of video game giants. Rivaling the likes of Half life, Halo, and Mario. Yet, for some reason, Sony Santa Monica doesn't feel as confident as they should with solely delivering the best single player experience possible. While multiplayer will undoubtedly become a cult favorite, the following it gather ultimately will never have been worth what could have been their swan song on the PS3.
    Conclusion: GoW is a great game. It has my favorite gameplay of the series despite an unusual choice for the parry system. It has the best graphics, the best sound design, a wonderful story, and a Kratos that could be considered the polar opposite of GoW 3's Kratos which is nice. Unfortunately with the multiplayer I will forever be left wonder what GoW Ascension could have been, instead relishing what it is.
  46. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely great! The graphics are unbelievably pretty, the gameplay is smoother and better than ever, the sound is beautiful and the story is great. The new multiplayer component is absolutely brilliant! I haven't had so much fun multiplayer/co-op is years! This is a great game for any fans of the series or genre. God of War: Ascension is a must buy!
  47. Mar 12, 2013
    For starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner thatFor starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner that [evade] is pointless. Likewise, [double jump] is completely broken. Don't expect much reliability, accuracy or timing with that one in a boss battle. Don't expect precision from either if you are being swarmed.

And that leads me to my main issue with the game: the difficulty settings are astronomically skewed. If you initially select Hard, be prepared to do a lot of the same stuff repeatedly until you just happen to luck your way past a fight. Why? Because of the above issues meet an egregiously reprehensible respawn implementation in the game. Apparently, the developers are so in love with their sweeping set pieces that they want us to experience them over and over and over and over ad nauseam et infinitum. Their idea of scaled difficulty is to overwhelm Kratos in a small area with defective defenses against a multitude of leveled-up enemies who cannot be avoided vertically And laterally. Death is quick and often. Restart is also brilliantly without full health and often before a long intro (to an even minor battle) that is not skippable! And some of these "cutscenes" you have to actively trudge through for no reason just to get back to the point of inevitable reset.

I am all for a challenging experience but it has to be well-designed. And it cannot impede progress in the narrative. Easy Level typically means an all-offense approach will get you through. Normal Level requires some avoidance and some defensive tactics. Hard more defense, combos, wise upgrades. Insane hard plus precise timing, stealth, wait-and-see strategy. And all of those are fine if the gameplay mechanics of the release function and do so with balance to the enemy AI. Seriously, Santa Monica should have spent the wasted time of a multiplayer into polishing the interactive campaign portions which actually feel like a bad stiff multiplayer. One of the worst sins of game-making is undue repetitious gameplay in story mode; in multiplayer it is expected. But in this campaign, it causes a player to walk away from the console.

Plus, even if it were working, it is just the same old familiar GOW you've done five games before. And in this latest one, you'll be repeating enough as it is.
  48. Mar 14, 2013
    Was looking forward to this so much,I'm completely disappointed in this,the others were so much better!!I'm a huge God of War fan,but this game just seems rushed,the worst of the series!!
  49. Mar 26, 2013
    Frustrating would be the word to best describe GoWA. Kratos should have remained in infamy by walking off into the black at the end of GoW3. Some things need to die just for the sake of dying. Others have said it much better (and far kinder) than I could even try. The only thing I will retain as I walk away from this game is carpal tunnel syndrome from the stupid and relentlessFrustrating would be the word to best describe GoWA. Kratos should have remained in infamy by walking off into the black at the end of GoW3. Some things need to die just for the sake of dying. Others have said it much better (and far kinder) than I could even try. The only thing I will retain as I walk away from this game is carpal tunnel syndrome from the stupid and relentless button mashing required to kill something.

I don't envision finishing the game.
  50. May 26, 2013
    can't change the difficulty, this really sucks to much to continue the game when you are stuck somewhere. now im no more interrested to complete the game.
  51. Mar 20, 2013
    God of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights inGod of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights in the business are back yet again. It also features a new online multiplayer mode that feels very familiar with a classic Dreamcast game known as" Power Stone". The MP mode can get a little chaotic at times but once you pick it up there is much fun to be had and it is a unique multiplayer experience that has not been seen in a while. So for fans of GOW or great action adventure games in general, I recommend this game. Expand
  52. Apr 20, 2013
    Great game, story is very good, graphics is awesome, blood every where, epic ending. This is a great prequel and you will have a great time. The multiplayer is fun, you will keep playing this game for month
  53. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn'tThis is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn't happened with previous GoW. Furthermore if you are a GoW fan you will love this game, if not even with issues the game is still awesome. Expand
  54. Mar 15, 2013
    Jogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente noJogo totalmente desnecessário, incluíram conteúdo que foi cortado de God of War 3 e acabaram inventando um jogo mediano que peca em história. Somente foi dado foco ao multiplayer. Parece que estou jogando um DLC de God of War. O game existe partes BEM CHATAS (SO BORING) que deixam o jogador desmotivado. Não digo difíceis, mas momentos de extrema apelação dos inimigos, principalmente no modo hard. Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2013
    I play most of the time with my 360, but when EPIC games like are released, I can not resist to playe them, and that is why I have played every God of War game yet, and the main reason I bought a PS3.

The only thing I can say is that this game is AMAZING!!!! way better than GOW3 in every aspect. I love this game so much, that I just cant stop playing. Well, I am writing a review right now, because I though it was very unfair that this game is not getting the score it deserves, so I want people to know that this game is freaking awesome, and the best action game I have ever played.

The combat is addicting, the soundtrack is incredible, and the graphics, oh boy those graphics!!!! Halo 4 looks amazing on the 360, but man this game is the best looking games on consoles I have ever seen!!!! It is quite orgasmic really.

The story is really good. And the multiplayer is really fun.

Every God of War fan must buy this and support the amazing team at SSM for creating such a majestic masterpiece!!!!
  56. Mar 15, 2013
    This is my first foray in this franchise and it is a big disappointment. Coming from games where there is plenty of fight, eye candy and free of movement, this came feels like a brawler on rails with bugs, frame rate issues, and boring action. The game is just about mashing the controller. Few fights are fun, many are just mashing without having a clue of what is going on.
    The script and
    The script and story fight and fight. A game i might never finish out of boredom.
  57. Mar 17, 2013
    what a bad god of war poor story poor combo and rage system lack of weapons and no replay value. i max all my weapons health and magic in my first playthrough. obviously this game was rush out to just to make a quick buck extremly poor effort
  58. Apr 2, 2013
    God of War is a true classic game again Graphics exquisite, the story is gripping and long ..Kratos may be negative for some, but this time the story is not so wild reflects very well.In addition, new multiplayer modes, which was a very pleasant.
    Ascension can not get full marks from me, but God of War manages to establish the throne of my heart again.
  59. Apr 25, 2013
    i really like this game i played the Ps3 version and it looks incredible, but in my opinion its almost the same in GOW 3 same kind of history nothing new only characters and the new multiplayer but still i recommend this game no doubt
  60. Jun 2, 2013
    I was on the fence about Ascension, especially after the greatness that is God of War 3. I was pleasantly surprised once I played it. They put a lot of time into the game, and it looks great. Even the multi-player is fun. I was very skeptical at firs, but ended up loving it. I knocked it a little for being so short, and honestly, after 2 prequels (this being the third) I am ready forI was on the fence about Ascension, especially after the greatness that is God of War 3. I was pleasantly surprised once I played it. They put a lot of time into the game, and it looks great. Even the multi-player is fun. I was very skeptical at firs, but ended up loving it. I knocked it a little for being so short, and honestly, after 2 prequels (this being the third) I am ready for something that happens later (which we may get on the PS4). Expand
  61. Jun 8, 2013
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd
  62. Oct 9, 2014
    I love the game especially in online player mode truly is a great game to play. i find myself setting in front of the tv for 3 or more hours trying to beat other players all over the globe.
  63. Mar 17, 2013
    If this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn'tIf this is your first God of War game, don't buy it. The story assumes that you know about Kratos' back story so newcomers to the series may find it hard to understand the story. The story in itself is simple but awesome: you've broken the oath with Ares and the Furies are now coming for you. You get to see the human side of Kratos which is something new and interesting. He still hasn't quite recovered from the loss of his family and you can see and feel it. I don't know about you but I like it.
    The combat is the same old thing that we all know and love but with a few tweaks. A major change is that your only weapons are the Blades of Chaos. In the previous titles, you could just play through the game only upgrading and using the Blades and just forgetting the other weapons. The devs have noticed this and removed all the other weapons. In their place you get elemental powers. Your Blades will either do Fire, Ice, Lightning or Soul damage. Fire does extra damage, Ice freezes enemies, Lightning attacks are quick and Soul attacks summon souls. Each element also yields different kinds of orbs. It is a clever way of keeping the familiar attacks and combos of the Blades and still adding new unique melee and magic attacks. Also, they've changed the way the Rage meter works. If you chain attacks without getting your streak stopped by an enemy, you will activate Rage mode where you do more damage and access new abilities and combos. It's not much but it's enough to make the combat feel that much different and unique.
    The one thing I dislike is that the levels feel stretched and the fact that you make little progress in the plot over the course of the game. Towards the end of the game it doesn't feel as stretched but in the beginning I was starting to get bored because there was almost no story at all. The campaign mode basically only has three or four different environments and that's it. The single player campaign is shorter than in the previous games but every minute of it is still worth it.
    There's a lot of puzzles and platforming in Ascension. You will find yourself climbing and jumping almost as much as you're killing enemies. I found myself actually thinking about the puzzles which is something new and good. The platforming may seem a bit awkward at times but when you finally come down to it, it's good.
    Another bad thing is that there aren't many boss fights. Basically there's just the opening boss, final boss, two other small boss fight and then the mini-bosses. Story-wise it's understandable that Kratos can't just go around and kill gods and huge monsters yet. Instead, you fight hordes of regular foes. It may not sound very exciting but it's not that bad really.
    Finally I'll talk about the multiplayer. It was unneccessary. God of War in its essence is a single player game. You didn't need multiplayer. The developers have clearly said that this is the main reason they made Ascension and it's 100% unneccessary. It's the reason why the single player mode is so short and not as amazing as in previous titles. Now that I've said that, I'll say that the multiplayer is good. Not amazing, not horrible, not mediocre; good. There's not much to tell about it, it's basically GoW with other players against each other in different game modes. Simple as that.
    I'm not going to say much about the graphics and the sounds because they don't matter as much as gameplay. They're both amazing, especially the visuals. They're a huge leap from God of War III.
  64. Mar 21, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and theGod of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and the whole God of War team. Thanks Sony. Expand
  65. Mar 12, 2013
    Krato's is back in full form, some say not as angry but he has thirst for blood is still unquenchable. Santa Monica has delivered another eye pleasing, adrenaline pumping adventure with the character many have come to know as the misunderstood God of War. Join Kratos as we go back in time to when it all began.

This is another masterpiece and a must have
  66. Mar 14, 2013
    A great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series shouldA great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series should definitely check out! Expand
  67. Mar 17, 2013
    Good points:
    -Great combat options
    -Amazing graphics -Best boss fights ever -Epic intro and ending -Great grabbing options -Medium-high enemies difficulty -Great multiplayer -Interaction with scenery weapons -Best soundtrack ever Bad points: -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?) -Weakest story of the saga -Repetitive -"Why am I doing
    Good points:
    -Great multiplayer
    -Interaction with scenery weapons
    -Best soundtrack ever

Bad points:
    -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?)
    -Weakest story of the saga
    -Repetitive
    -"Why am I doing this?" moments
    -No challenge puzzles
    -No sex time
    -Many DLCs coming
  68. Mar 17, 2013
    This is the most disappointed sequel in the whole series of "God of War" that I have played. In short terms, I can list some points to explain why the "God of War: Ascension" can't not reach the level of what a "God of War" series should have.

1. The bad camera: In some battle scene, you can see the camera is zooming out farther and farther from the position of Kratos; I think the designer want use this zoom-out trick to show how great and magnificent the landscape is, but in a red-hot fighting with lots of powerful monsters who want kill you immediately, who care the landscape? In this situation, our hero Kratos was mixed into lots of monsters, like an ant fight to ants, you always don't know which monster is the murderer who kill you, because all of them looks mixed together (with unrecognized HERO).

2. Failure checkpoint: After countless trial and errors, you almost complete a serial hard-fighting, at the last wave, an unexpected attack kills you. Congratulations! you must fight from the very first wave of these serial-fighting, WITHOUT the red orbs you got in the last battle!

3. Block is not immediately active and Invincible time of dodge is too short: Two terrible failures in a action game, there is no need to explain why...

4. Failure weapon system: there are four elements of weapon can choose Fire, Ice, Lighting and Soul; actually, you can hard to say the difference of these elements, their biggest difference is that the COLOR, not the special effects. The only remarkable advantage is the online multiplayer mode, this is really a Innovative game play that can save the single player mode. According to these reasons, "God of War: Ascension" can get 6 score.
  69. Mar 13, 2013
    4 hours in and I got to say this is the saddest excuse for a GoW game...I'm not even going to finish the SP let alone give the MP mode a chance...If you've played ANY other GoW game (I've played all of them) you'd understand just how disappointing Ascension is...maybe (and hopefully) Santa Monica gets it right the next time around...
  70. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  71. Mar 17, 2013
    Ascension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remainAscension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remain relevant in the fast-paced video game industry. Still, it's worth playing when it comes down in price, or if you give it a rent. Expand
  72. Mar 13, 2013
    I liked the campaign even though it does lack the epic and numerous boss fights seen in God of War 3. IT NEEDS MORE BOSSES! I saw some critic reviews saying the multiplayer was tacked on or just solid. When I played it for the first time it was a great breath of fresh air from regular multiplayer with guns. I will be playing the multiplayer long after I finish the game because it is prettyI liked the campaign even though it does lack the epic and numerous boss fights seen in God of War 3. IT NEEDS MORE BOSSES! I saw some critic reviews saying the multiplayer was tacked on or just solid. When I played it for the first time it was a great breath of fresh air from regular multiplayer with guns. I will be playing the multiplayer long after I finish the game because it is pretty fun and has 4 interesting modes. Overall it is one of the best god of war games I think the only game that beats this is god of war 3. Expand
  73. Mar 14, 2013
    Really good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphicsReally good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphics this gen. Multiplayer it s fun and fresh take. Worth my hard earn money, to the last penny. Expand
  74. Mar 14, 2013
    Santa Monica Studios did a wonderful job on this game, and it's only mistake is that it has to be compared to all the other masterpieces that are God Of War games. Not to mention that it is a prequel, which automatically gives some people a reason to whine that it's bad, with absolutely no coverage to such a statement. Making a prequel is always challenging, and definitely not easy, yetSanta Monica Studios did a wonderful job on this game, and it's only mistake is that it has to be compared to all the other masterpieces that are God Of War games. Not to mention that it is a prequel, which automatically gives some people a reason to whine that it's bad, with absolutely no coverage to such a statement. Making a prequel is always challenging, and definitely not easy, yet still the guys pulled it off just like I hoped they would. As for the multiplayer, it's just amazing. I can't believe how many people are saying that it's unoriginal... wake up, you aren't going to find a similar experience to this one anywhere else! It's original, fun, brutal, fluid, the story is great as always, and most of all, it is a true balm for the eyes. It pains me to see people giving this game less than a nine. Cheers. Expand
  75. Mar 18, 2013
    Ascension is not really a 10 game but I hate people give it a low mark. It´s a great game but slightly worst than the other GoW, only that.

I love this saga since its starting, so Ascension is not an exception.
  76. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know why people vote negative this game, What do you want, guys? The gameplay: AWESOME, new moves, weapons, fights, puzzles... The graphics: Unbelievable! the blood, water, sparks, sweat, they're just outstanding! the history is no better than the last games, but it's not bad, IS A PREQUEL! WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING!! Multiplayer is very fun and if you don't like it, is because you're a Call Of Duty Camper. GREAT GAME!! Expand
  77. Mar 22, 2013
    No, it's not as epic as GoW3 but then again it was never supposed to be, this is a prequel before the time when you became a God who could take on Gods and Titans. You're a human and so that obviously takes away some of the scale but does that make this a worse game? Hells no! This game is brilliant, it makes up for it's lack of wow factor with some fantastic puzzles (some of them areNo, it's not as epic as GoW3 but then again it was never supposed to be, this is a prequel before the time when you became a God who could take on Gods and Titans. You're a human and so that obviously takes away some of the scale but does that make this a worse game? Hells no! This game is brilliant, it makes up for it's lack of wow factor with some fantastic puzzles (some of them are ingenius), great sections of platforming, better visuals, in fact the best visuals on any console so far (until The Last of Us I bet) and a brilliant written story. The combat is also the best it's ever been. Ignore all the Xbox trolls on this site marking the game down, they're just butthurt the 360 gets one exclusive per year. Expand
  78. Mar 23, 2013
    It is not GOW 4. think about it as a fun addition to the franchise.

The locations and visuals are amazing, the combat is great and the main antagonists are alot of fun.

9/10 for me.
  79. Mar 28, 2013
    The most common complaint about this game I've heard is, "Not epic enough!". What the heck is that supposed to mean? How much "epic" do you need??? This game is truly great and has "epic" in spades. While some may have enjoyed the story of GOW3 more, this game improves on GOW3 in so many ways. The graphics are greatly improved over GW3, something I would have hardly thought possible. TheThe most common complaint about this game I've heard is, "Not epic enough!". What the heck is that supposed to mean? How much "epic" do you need??? This game is truly great and has "epic" in spades. While some may have enjoyed the story of GOW3 more, this game improves on GOW3 in so many ways. The graphics are greatly improved over GW3, something I would have hardly thought possible. The combat is more refined and challenging. I also feel that the platforming elements are improved. The multiplayer is really well executed. It really is refreshing and unique. Gameplay trumps story in my book. After all, how much more can be said about Kratos after 6 games? Many people are complaining about the difficulty level of certain bosses etc... I had to replay certain parts of the game several times to proceed, but I never got bored in the process. Also many people are ready to dismiss multiplayer without giving it a chance. One thing you have to realize is there is a fairly decent learning curve on multiplayer in this game. I played for about a week before I learned the ropes and started to win matches. Be sure to give multiplayer a chance and don't give up in frustration before you get the hang of things. I have really been enjoying the four player free for all.

More boss battle would have been nice, but we have dlc to look forward to with new levels etc... Overall I really appreciate the new things in the game that keep it fresh. This is the best action game on the market right now. The graphics and gameplay are amazing. Multiplayer is amazing. You can't go wrong with this title period.
  80. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. god of war Ascension is the coolest game ever seems to be don't have big difference from the god of war 3 and the battle strategy but actually are significant differences game is very sensible and no end is an amazing game no less dynamic battle in the final same time as meaningful Expand
  81. Apr 24, 2013
    Absolutely brutal. This game has almost everything a good God Of War game should have, minus an amazing story. While the story is still great, it falls a bit short compared to other GoW titles. The gameplay is still loveable, ESPECIALLY the online play.
  82. Apr 26, 2013
    I have to say that I wasnt looking forward to this game because it seemed to almost feel like a rushed prequel to get it out on the market before Gears of War. Now after playing it through fully and getting the best experiance possible with it, I am actually impressed. The classic challenging level puzzels are back and you want Kratos to seek and destroy all those who stand to oppose him.I have to say that I wasnt looking forward to this game because it seemed to almost feel like a rushed prequel to get it out on the market before Gears of War. Now after playing it through fully and getting the best experiance possible with it, I am actually impressed. The classic challenging level puzzels are back and you want Kratos to seek and destroy all those who stand to oppose him. This is going back to its GOW 1 and 2 roots. Story was interesting and kept your interest at times to see how it plays out. It is however better than GOW3 and its a must own for any fan of the series. Expand
  83. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is a master peace it is the best looking game on the ps3 atm, a must buy for all gow fans and it is a great edition to the story. I love this so so very much a must buy if you own a ps3
  84. Nov 24, 2013
    Another brilliant game to add to the series,combat remains the same ,if its not broke don't fix it ,the only problem now is where does the epic spartan warrior go from here
  85. Apr 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. این بازی مثه سری قبل فوق العاده بود و من خیلی دوستش داشتم .
    همه چیز در حد فوق العاده بود....
  86. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  87. Mar 30, 2013
    A completely unnecessary difficulty spike in the last stage of the game makes this game total sh!t. It was mediocre before, and got unplayable by the final level. Boring combat, uninteresting story, overall not a good game like previous GOW titles.
  88. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  89. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  90. Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone compares this to GOW3 when it should be reviewed on its own since it's a PREQUEL.The game delivers what it must deliver:incredible graphics,better combat,over-the-top action and a fun multiplayer. Seriously,stop hating on this game,it may not be the best GOW, but as a a prequel, it gets its job done.
  91. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang.
  92. Mar 20, 2013
    Overall a good game. However it is much of the same, with little new content to be excited about. Graphics are superb, but gameplay is nothing revolutionary. Story is probably the weakest out of the three, failing to live up to the hype surrounding pre-game release. As for the furies, they do not make for the most memorable bosses. To be played if you enjoyed the other GOWs, but rememberOverall a good game. However it is much of the same, with little new content to be excited about. Graphics are superb, but gameplay is nothing revolutionary. Story is probably the weakest out of the three, failing to live up to the hype surrounding pre-game release. As for the furies, they do not make for the most memorable bosses. To be played if you enjoyed the other GOWs, but remember that this game sticks to the same principles, without radically changing anything. Expand
  93. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the storySo i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  94. Mar 12, 2013
    Critics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first ofCritics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first of Kratos' mythological adventures to be as world changing and as fast paced as his last; if Kratos took down even one god or Titan during Ascension in a huge battle then the series' cannon would go to pot. Also, critics seem to ignore that the combat has changed for the better and quickly lable it off as 'the same as the other games' which is incredibly ignorant (seriously, some sites don't mention the combat at all besides saying that it's the same, which it isn't). Kratos' character is far more reminiscent of that in God of War I which is a good thing as there was next to nothing likeable about him in God of War III. I suppose it's best now to say that there's nothing wrong with the game, not everything's excellent but there's nothing disastrous in Ascension. I think people will like it whether they're a fan of the series or if they are a fan of action games in general (or if their only complaint was that Kratos shouted too much), there's enough in the game to make it surpass most of the other games in the series (although I didn't feel as if it were as good as God of War II). Furthermore, don't listen to those saying that the multiplayer is rubbish it's only bad when you're bad at it (you'll learn skills on the way which will make the experience all the more fun). The multiplayer is a worthy addition and gives another reason to come back to the game after beating the campaign. Expand
  95. Mar 23, 2013
    Problem is: God Of War III is far more epic. Normally, each instance of games in the God Of War-Series is more epic, bigger and thrilling than the game before.

God Of War: Ascension doesn't have "the punch" you might expect. The setpieces aren't artistically attractive (in comparison to God Of War III), elements like super-scaled snakes don't feel ancient nor greek and there are moments where this game seems more like Uncharted, due to some musical tones the developers used in various fights.

This game somehow misses the whole God Of War-Spirit, unfortunately.
  96. Mar 12, 2013
    Excelente jogo, uma obra de arte, gráficos descomunais, músicas épicas, som de primeira, apenas o PS3 pode proporcionar tão grandiosidade. A franquia GoW realmente uma das melhores. Um dos melhores jogos sendo fechado com chave de ouro.
  97. Mar 12, 2013
    Glitchy,feels rushed, boring! And I'm a huge God of war fan! I'm not sure what happened here. The game looks great but it's not a God of war game. Today is a sad day.
  98. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondariesThis is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  99. Apr 7, 2013
    Best God of War yet! Sure it doesn't have the scale of God of War II and one of the weakest storylines in the series however when it comes to gameplay, visuals and replay value (mostly due to the online component) Ascension really proves that it is the best one yet. The campaign is good if not great but this time the online mode really spices up things. It is easily one of the best onlineBest God of War yet! Sure it doesn't have the scale of God of War II and one of the weakest storylines in the series however when it comes to gameplay, visuals and replay value (mostly due to the online component) Ascension really proves that it is the best one yet. The campaign is good if not great but this time the online mode really spices up things. It is easily one of the best online modes I have ever seen in a game as it requires skill and fighting techniques rather than simply just seeing the enemy first. Overall the best game I've played this year.

Single player Mode: 9/10 (Story issues and it can get slightly repetitive although fantastic gameplay, stunning visuals and really fun boss battles but not as good as GOW III in this area)
    Online Mode: 10/10 (One of the best online modes ever!)
  100. Mar 14, 2013
    As a die hard fanboy of this series, it is painful...utterly heart wrenching, to think that a GoW game could be this...bad. Not even average...just bad. Sure the graphics are pretty, and set pieces are still jaw dropping (though nothing like Colossus, Poseidon, or Chronos). But the story line has been completely axed. There is an undertone of story, but Kratos' battle with the FuriesAs a die hard fanboy of this series, it is painful...utterly heart wrenching, to think that a GoW game could be this...bad. Not even average...just bad. Sure the graphics are pretty, and set pieces are still jaw dropping (though nothing like Colossus, Poseidon, or Chronos). But the story line has been completely axed. There is an undertone of story, but Kratos' battle with the Furies happens without context. You are dropped into the middle of the story, hoping you'll assume some of the finer details on your own. Plot hasn't always been a huge driving force for the GoW games, but after Ghost of Sparta, we know that a stellar plot is possible in this universe, so when they miss out on an opportunity, it hurts ever the more. The combat has been broken from previous games. The block/parry system has been completely revamped, and by revamped, I mean to say it is utter garbage. Where a skillful GoW'er would dodge and parry with ease, the requirement of pressing L1+X to parry, and the floaty timing of the maneuuver makes parry cancelling combos basically impossible, and it feels like crap. Hard to believe SSM thought this was a good idea. It isn't, and its awful. The Rage of the Gods meter has been replaced with a straight up Rage meter...and what's that you ask: "So what? Rage modes have always been about last ditch effort, damage bonus boosting anyway!"...Wrong. In GoW:A, if you don't have a full Rage meter, you have exactly 2 combos at your disposal: and ]-Triangle...and occassionally you'll get the ]-Triangle combo, but it is accomplishes nothing more than the other 2. Those looking for those longer 5 6 hit combo strings that could be chained together with a well timed Roll or Parry will be saddened to learn these are only possible when your Rage meter is filled...which is a seldom occurance since the meter itself will empty when Kratos is hit by enemy attacks...which is ALWAYS. Trial Archimedes: you've probably read about it. It is indeed as bad as you've heard, and probably a lot worse. Reviewers seemed to be going easy on this section of the game, but because it presents a knee-jerk change of pace and difficulty, it makes you concentrate more on what degenerative brain disease the developers had while making this game than on the game, plot, and set pieces in the game. It is a text-book example of bad game design. Todd Papy has publically stated that this part of the game was tuned and "balanced" by himself personally, which should plant at least one wish for the future of this series in your subconcious Please don't let Todd Papy anywhere near it.

The Furies: they're pretty cool, but they aren't given their due diligence when it comes to character development. We are introduced to their species as a concept (the Primordials), but we never explore how the compare to say Gods, or Titans. They clearly aren't mortal, as they can be killed without God or Titan weapons/magic. This is something we should see explored in future games, though a change of scenery, away from ancient Greece would be nice. Kratos: Still cool, still a bad ass, still super. A good character through and through, and probably the only saving grace in what is otherwise a terribly delivered plot. He has boxer briefs now, so there's that. Orkos: A character made up for the game, based on Horkus from Greek mythology. A cool back story, again, one that is not expored enough. The surface is scratched, but that simply creates an itch to learn to more. More that just isn't there. Also, why didn't they just call him Horkus? Also, making Orkos a fury is a good way to remind the audience that this isn't traditional Greek mythology, in case it wasn't already clear from Kratos being the half-brother of Hercules. Also, the whole Apollo Helios contradiction is addressed subtly. Bottom line: A game with a lot of good-in-theory elements that are just poorly executed. The well-paced opening of the game on the Hecatonchires is of a scale previously unseen in the GoW franchise (awesome), but the game does not maintain this level of scope for the remainder of the game, and the once fluid combat system the crux of the GoW gameplay formula has been broken down into a freedomless button masher cheapened by poor responsiveness.

I would have given every GoW game preceding this a 10/10 for being perfect in each their own way, and treading new water for the series. So it literally breaks my heart, like losing a cherished family member, to see this game turn its nose up, pretending to be of their ilk. It is not. I blame Todd Papy. Oh yeah: multiplayer sucks balls, avoid it. It is obvious from the SP that the resources and manpower usually used to polish the main game has been diverted into the MP, no matter what Mr Papy tells you.

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]