God of War: Ascension PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 14, 2013
    While Ascension is fun, it is nowhere near to Gow3. A weaker story and less satisfying combat. On hard mode, enemies are too much making it sometimes a chore to clear out all the spawns.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the storySo i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it isThis game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!!

4. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutalEl Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    Ascension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remainAscension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remain relevant in the fast-paced video game industry. Still, it's worth playing when it comes down in price, or if you give it a rent. Expand
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang.
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    I am one hell of a GoW fan, and so it hurts me deeply to see such a disappointing, utterly unnecessary... thing.

The game is poorly paced, thanks to a complete lack of any motivation getting you through pretty setpiece to underwhelming boss fight, with extra annoying monsters to pad the gaps. The bestiary is lacking (think Silent Hill: Downpour), and its limited assets keep swapping elements and/or color. The Blizzard School of Enemy Design, I see...

Music is good, though easily forgettable, and the sound, my God! the sound keeps getting cut during cutscenes, resulting in a audiovisual experience. Or the game bugs. That's a nice touch.

I don't know about multiplayer, because I certainly wouldn't touch the thing, but let me tell you that if it shows the same lack of polish the solo campaign does, well...

All in all, it should be noted that Ascension brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. Everuthing it does, it was done better by previous GoW titles... Even by previous rip-offs. It is a cut and paste job straight from the GoW 3 Scrapyard, complete with a boring story and too few interesting sights to behold. I never thought I would see the day Chains of Olympus was going to be out-sucked. Todd Pappy should retire. That is all!
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    While not as great as previous GOW installations, this game is still must-play for fans of Kratos. The atmosphere, scale and boss battles are what make Ascension so impressive. Plus, there's still plenty of grueling death and violence doled out by Kratos' blades to go around.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome andThis game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome and addicting multiplayer that will keep me playing this one for a while!! Expand
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    Really enjoyable game.
    Really enjoyable game.
    This is my first bash at a god of war game and I like it. The combat is fast paced and brutal and you're always aspiring to get Kratos combo meter up to unleash better attacks. Though I've not yet completed the game, I have put several hours in to it and i'm still hungry for more. It looks nice, some boss battles are of epic proportion and though it's on rails, is thoroughly enjoyable. This game has made me get Ghost of Sparta to play on my Vita and I will be getting 1,2 & 3 to play as well.
    I missed these gems but won't let them slip by again.
    Ascension is excellent. get it.
  15. Aug 11, 2013
    Finished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the gameFinished God of War: Ascension in Hard difficulty. Not only it is the worst God of War game by far, but also the buggiest game I played from Sony. First of all the not all the patches don't install, preventing me from playing the multiplayer mode. Then the game threw a horrific design choice towards the end which I thought I won't be able to finish, but luckily I did. Then the game broke...I was so angry. I tried resetting checkpoint but didn't work. Deleted the patch, then it worked... :

Final boss battle was terribly easy as well. The game tried to make me feel bad for Kratos, it only managed to piss me off to the point I don't wanna play another GOW game ever again. Santa Monica, God of War 3 was the pinnacle of the series, it is time to move on.
  16. Oct 22, 2014
    GoW: Ascension does little to separate itself from the original GoW trilogy, it is an unnecessary addition to the franchise that doesn't develop the story or game play in any interesting ways. Nevertheless, it looks great and is very fun to play.

The multiplayer is the biggest innovation this time around and while I found the different modes on offer interesting, I simply could not get into the competition. I'm also very disappointed that there was NO local multiplayer of any kind, not even the simple co-op survival mode.
  17. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you willI don't understand how they cripple the greatest things that the god of war series had because of the multiplayer: the controls. They were responding instantly on other god of war games but not this one. Also the magic system has been dumbed down by giving you fixed number of casts and the moveset requires you to not get hit to be able to do the best attacks so most of the time, you will be stuck with all the starting attacks (since the controls aren't as responsive, you get hit more easily than on the other games).

The story was good, the boss fights were awesome as ever but the controls and changes on the skill/magics system are killing it for me.

I sold back the game while i kept all the others. What a waste... :(
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    With this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. IWith this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. I played a while the multiplayer and i enjoyed it. I would give it a 8 but with the multiplayer i give it a 9. Expand
  19. Sep 1, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You onlyGod of War: Ascension does not move Kratos' story along but tells a prequel story of how Kratos broke his oath with Ares. The story of Ascension is bare bones, it gives you all the details but nothing more. The characters are also uninteresting as no Gods show up in this one. The game play is a whole different story. It seems faster and smoother than any other game in the series. You only have one weapon in Ascension, the Blades of Chaos, but that does not mean you do not have other options. Each God gives you a different power for your blades that you can upgrade. There are also other trinkets that help you in battles and puzzles. Some of the enemies are new and there death scenes are pretty brutal. The graphics are gorgeous but do not look any different from God of War 3. The multiplayer has a neat premise but in the end it just comes down to a button mash fest. God of Ascension does not break any new ground but refines what the series does best. Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    i can't understand why people hated this game this game is fantastic a real god of war game kratos character is back and with more RAGE and the story is really good i loved this game and am a god of war fan i really recommend this game
  21. Mar 23, 2013
    Problem is: God Of War III is far more epic. Normally, each instance of games in the God Of War-Series is more epic, bigger and thrilling than the game before.

God Of War: Ascension doesn't have "the punch" you might expect. The setpieces aren't artistically attractive (in comparison to God Of War III), elements like super-scaled snakes don't feel ancient nor greek and there are moments where this game seems more like Uncharted, due to some musical tones the developers used in various fights.

This game somehow misses the whole God Of War-Spirit, unfortunately.
  22. Mar 16, 2013
    God war Ascension I give this game about 8.9.

Sure every game and ign gotten stale on reviewers need the old ones.

But anyways the game graphics I give that 9

The Controls about 7 they were alright need some tweaking.

Camera Views about 7 as well not the best at times but I liked them.

Sound 9 soundtrack and music always the best outta every god of war.
  23. Jun 4, 2013
    Enquanto Ascensão divertido, mas não está nem perto de GOW3. A história de combate mais fraco e menos satisfatória. No modo rígido, os inimigos são muito tornando-se, por vezes, uma tarefa para limpar todas as desovas.
  24. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  26. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondariesThis is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    In short, if you are a God of War fan or an action fan, you will love the hell out of this game. Graphics Amazingly Beautiful. Game play- The same old hack/slash but with more intuitive controls and control during quick time event sequences. BRUTALLITY!!! I mean really brutal. Story A more understanding story like God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta. It's not like we haven't seen a humanoidIn short, if you are a God of War fan or an action fan, you will love the hell out of this game. Graphics Amazingly Beautiful. Game play- The same old hack/slash but with more intuitive controls and control during quick time event sequences. BRUTALLITY!!! I mean really brutal. Story A more understanding story like God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta. It's not like we haven't seen a humanoid Kratos but it gives us more a understanding to his motivations why he just hates gods overall. Pacing is an issue though with some difficulty spikes that will agitate the hell out of you. I'd say if they didn't spread the health chest around then this would have been the hardest God of War game I played and I played 3 on Titan Mode. No Multiplayer Part I'm not regreting my 60 bucks. Expand
  29. Mar 16, 2013
    Let me just start out by saying that I'm a huge god of war fan. Even waited in line for the midnight relase of this game. So one would imagine my shock when I played this game and realized what a huge dissapointment it was. The biggest issue was the story or should I say lack of. There's no real clear story and the little bit that is is confsuing and uninteresting. The game jumps bck andLet me just start out by saying that I'm a huge god of war fan. Even waited in line for the midnight relase of this game. So one would imagine my shock when I played this game and realized what a huge dissapointment it was. The biggest issue was the story or should I say lack of. There's no real clear story and the little bit that is is confsuing and uninteresting. The game jumps bck and forth between present and past even though present isn't really present). Another problem is that the game is way to short. I've loved these games because of the challenge, story, and length. However I beat this game in 7 hrs which is short for god of war and there were no real challenging parts. I was killed once in the entire game. Even the boss fights are lackluster, especially the final one. I still gave this game a 6 though because it is still god of war and the visual effects are stunning and the actual gameplay itself with the fighting isn't bad. All I'm saying is that there is nothing that this game told me that added to the story at all. Game didn't need to be made and for that this is a huge dissapointment for me. Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Apr 22, 2013
    Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]