• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 14, 2013
    While Ascension is fun, it is nowhere near to Gow3. A weaker story and less satisfying combat. On hard mode, enemies are too much making it sometimes a chore to clear out all the spawns.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013

4. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2013
    Ascension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remain relevant in the fast-paced video game industry. Still, it's worth playing when it comes down in price, or if you give it a rent. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    I am one hell of a GoW fan, and so it hurts me deeply to see such a disappointing, utterly unnecessary... thing.

The game is poorly paced, thanks to a complete lack of any motivation getting you through pretty setpiece to underwhelming boss fight, with extra annoying monsters to pad the gaps. The bestiary is lacking (think Silent Hill: Downpour), and its limited assets keep swapping
    elements and/or color. The Blizzard School of Enemy Design, I see...

Music is good, though easily forgettable, and the sound, my God! the sound keeps getting cut during cutscenes, resulting in a audiovisual experience. Or the game bugs. That's a nice touch.

I don't know about multiplayer, because I certainly wouldn't touch the thing, but let me tell you that if it shows the same lack of polish the solo campaign does, well...

All in all, it should be noted that Ascension brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. Everuthing it does, it was done better by previous GoW titles... Even by previous rip-offs. It is a cut and paste job straight from the GoW 3 Scrapyard, complete with a boring story and too few interesting sights to behold. I never thought I would see the day Chains of Olympus was going to be out-sucked. Todd Pappy should retire. That is all!
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never
    forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    God Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i found GOW: Ascension a minor disappointment. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2013
    For starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner that [evade] is pointless. Likewise, [double jump] is completely broken. Don't expect much reliability, accuracy or timing with that one in a boss battle. Don't expect precision from either if you are being swarmed.

And that leads me to my main issue with the game: the difficulty settings are astronomically skewed. If you initially select Hard, be prepared to do a lot of the same stuff repeatedly until you just happen to luck your way past a fight. Why? Because of the above issues meet an egregiously reprehensible respawn implementation in the game. Apparently, the developers are so in love with their sweeping set pieces that they want us to experience them over and over and over and over ad nauseam et infinitum. Their idea of scaled difficulty is to overwhelm Kratos in a small area with defective defenses against a multitude of leveled-up enemies who cannot be avoided vertically And laterally. Death is quick and often. Restart is also brilliantly without full health and often before a long intro (to an even minor battle) that is not skippable! And some of these "cutscenes" you have to actively trudge through for no reason just to get back to the point of inevitable reset.

I am all for a challenging experience but it has to be well-designed. And it cannot impede progress in the narrative. Easy Level typically means an all-offense approach will get you through. Normal Level requires some avoidance and some defensive tactics. Hard more defense, combos, wise upgrades. Insane hard plus precise timing, stealth, wait-and-see strategy. And all of those are fine if the gameplay mechanics of the release function and do so with balance to the enemy AI. Seriously, Santa Monica should have spent the wasted time of a multiplayer into polishing the interactive campaign portions which actually feel like a bad stiff multiplayer. One of the worst sins of game-making is undue repetitious gameplay in story mode; in multiplayer it is expected. But in this campaign, it causes a player to walk away from the console.

Plus, even if it were working, it is just the same old familiar GOW you've done five games before. And in this latest one, you'll be repeating enough as it is.
  14. Mar 12, 2013
    Glitchy,feels rushed, boring! And I'm a huge God of war fan! I'm not sure what happened here. The game looks great but it's not a God of war game. Today is a sad day.
  15. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    Critics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first of Kratos' mythological adventures to be as world changing and as fast paced as his last; if Kratos took down even one god or Titan during Ascension in a huge battle then the series' cannon would go to pot. Also, critics seem to ignore that the combat has changed for the better and quickly lable it off as 'the same as the other games' which is incredibly ignorant (seriously, some sites don't mention the combat at all besides saying that it's the same, which it isn't). Kratos' character is far more reminiscent of that in God of War I which is a good thing as there was next to nothing likeable about him in God of War III. I suppose it's best now to say that there's nothing wrong with the game, not everything's excellent but there's nothing disastrous in Ascension. I think people will like it whether they're a fan of the series or if they are a fan of action games in general (or if their only complaint was that Kratos shouted too much), there's enough in the game to make it surpass most of the other games in the series (although I didn't feel as if it were as good as God of War II). Furthermore, don't listen to those saying that the multiplayer is rubbish it's only bad when you're bad at it (you'll learn skills on the way which will make the experience all the more fun). The multiplayer is a worthy addition and gives another reason to come back to the game after beating the campaign. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2013
    God of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete the single player part of the game, just not worth it. Expand
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!
  22. Mar 17, 2013
    what a bad god of war poor story poor combo and rage system lack of weapons and no replay value. i max all my weapons health and magic in my first playthrough. obviously this game was rush out to just to make a quick buck extremly poor effort
  23. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  24. Mar 12, 2013
    Excelente jogo, uma obra de arte, gráficos descomunais, músicas épicas, som de primeira, apenas o PS3 pode proporcionar tão grandiosidade. A franquia GoW realmente uma das melhores. Um dos melhores jogos sendo fechado com chave de ouro.
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    I was excited to see what new was there in the new GOW, sadly the game felt the same as the old one it was nothing but mash this, kill that, after all these years i expected the combat to change but it was the same more or less.

The game was slightly better than DmC but overall felt like a beat em up than hack & slash the chain blade weapon is slow this time around giving the illusion
    AI being challenging a bit, the sound effects are good,but i overall didn't like the too dramatic scripted boss battles, the world feels empty & hollow at times & i couldn't wait for the demo to end, sorry this is the truth, IMO after so many years of GOW sony could have improved the game

If you weren't into god of war before then you wont be now, with the Online MP said to be underwhelming, i don't find anything appealing about the game

In the end it's just another button masher & gore game for fans of such thing, which is a shame really since santa monica have developed quite the repute, mainstream gamers & GOW cult gamers will love it, not sure about people like me who want challenging grunt enemies, fun combat with loads of weapons, live surrounding which lets you soak the atmosphere & less brainless button mashing
  26. Mar 15, 2013
    bought it for the mp. never played anything so unbalanced, chaotic and frustrating like this game... hope they will bring up some patches. actually, its just nice for a few rounds/evenings, but at some point you recognize its less depending on skill than it looks. it depends mostly on your weapons "L1+square" & "L1+triangle" skills, and a little bit of luck (at some point enemys are done with less than 2 combos)...you will get kicked out, one-shoted, seeing others getting your kill, getting no kill cos of animationbugs, or getting a kill without doing anything, or things like unblockable light attacks, etc pp. resumee: unless some patching mp is nothing serious Expand
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    This version noticeably has an arcade like polish to it, sort of like a Japanese style. However epic isn't the word. The first 30 minutes of this smashes GOW3. It's a must for fans and even better for newcomers.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Reviews are just opinions from guys that think that they know more about games than you. Because it is their JOB, they lost their passion many times, many of them are tired of games, they play a lot, more than they want. Try this for yourself gamers.

RE6 hated by everyone? All people played the demo before decide to buy and the game sold 4 millions copies on its first week, 5 until now.
    People dont buy what they hate. This is what really matter, not the Metacritic user score that is a place to haters hate. Expand
  29. Mar 18, 2013
    another rush-for-money game.
    sony is going to be another "EA".
    i like sony at past but at this generations they are "all copy-followers".
    "gow 1-2" were great in "story and gamplay",they showed us the strength of "ps2".
    "gow3" was good and cool,but this,,,,this "illegal son of "gow"" is aweful and poor.
    i am sorry for money i paid for this.
  30. Mar 13, 2013
    It's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to a new high and the visuals are absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to delve into multiplayer fully, so I'll exclude that portion here. If Ascension would have used the first several hours of gameplay to really make the player feel the sorrow and insanity Kratos is facing, I think we could have seen the best entry in the franchise. At the end of the day, if you're a fan of God of War or action games in general, you're not going to find much (if anything) to complain about here. It's brutal, it's beautiful, and most of all, it's a blast. Expand

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]