• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the storySo i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it isThis game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!!

3. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutalEl Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang.
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    With this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. IWith this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. I played a while the multiplayer and i enjoyed it. I would give it a 8 but with the multiplayer i give it a 9. Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2013
    i can't understand why people hated this game this game is fantastic a real god of war game kratos character is back and with more RAGE and the story is really good i loved this game and am a god of war fan i really recommend this game
  10. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome andThis game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome and addicting multiplayer that will keep me playing this one for a while!! Expand
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    Really enjoyable game.
    Really enjoyable game.
    This is my first bash at a god of war game and I like it. The combat is fast paced and brutal and you're always aspiring to get Kratos combo meter up to unleash better attacks. Though I've not yet completed the game, I have put several hours in to it and i'm still hungry for more. It looks nice, some boss battles are of epic proportion and though it's on rails, is thoroughly enjoyable. This game has made me get Ghost of Sparta to play on my Vita and I will be getting 1,2 & 3 to play as well.
    I missed these gems but won't let them slip by again.
    Ascension is excellent. get it.
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  13. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  15. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondariesThis is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    Critics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first ofCritics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first of Kratos' mythological adventures to be as world changing and as fast paced as his last; if Kratos took down even one god or Titan during Ascension in a huge battle then the series' cannon would go to pot. Also, critics seem to ignore that the combat has changed for the better and quickly lable it off as 'the same as the other games' which is incredibly ignorant (seriously, some sites don't mention the combat at all besides saying that it's the same, which it isn't). Kratos' character is far more reminiscent of that in God of War I which is a good thing as there was next to nothing likeable about him in God of War III. I suppose it's best now to say that there's nothing wrong with the game, not everything's excellent but there's nothing disastrous in Ascension. I think people will like it whether they're a fan of the series or if they are a fan of action games in general (or if their only complaint was that Kratos shouted too much), there's enough in the game to make it surpass most of the other games in the series (although I didn't feel as if it were as good as God of War II). Furthermore, don't listen to those saying that the multiplayer is rubbish it's only bad when you're bad at it (you'll learn skills on the way which will make the experience all the more fun). The multiplayer is a worthy addition and gives another reason to come back to the game after beating the campaign. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2013
    It's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to aIt's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to a new high and the visuals are absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to delve into multiplayer fully, so I'll exclude that portion here. If Ascension would have used the first several hours of gameplay to really make the player feel the sorrow and insanity Kratos is facing, I think we could have seen the best entry in the franchise. At the end of the day, if you're a fan of God of War or action games in general, you're not going to find much (if anything) to complain about here. It's brutal, it's beautiful, and most of all, it's a blast. Expand
  21. Mar 14, 2013
    Really good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphicsReally good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphics this gen. Multiplayer it s fun and fresh take. Worth my hard earn money, to the last penny. Expand
  22. Mar 14, 2013
    A great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series shouldA great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series should definitely check out! Expand
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    Brutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some gettingBrutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some getting use to. The only problems I had with the game is that at some parts the game just felt a little too slow. The other problem I had was the story consistently going back and forth between "Present Day" and 3 or 2 weeks earlier and a majority of the game just felt like filler and once you returned to "Present Day" you realized the game basically took place in 1 day the back and forth was too much to keep up with it felt like. But, other than the minor problems, this game is my early favorite for Game of the Year 2013. I highly recommend it for God of War fans on the fence. Expand
  24. Mar 19, 2013
    Just finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowersJust finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowers the difficulty of Archimedes Trials, because many people cant pass it. GoW Ascension brought me lots of pleasure, im still yet to try the multiplayer, but little does it matter, im already completely amazed. Expand
  25. Jun 4, 2013
    Enquanto Ascensão divertido, mas não está nem perto de GOW3. A história de combate mais fraco e menos satisfatória. No modo rígido, os inimigos são muito tornando-se, por vezes, uma tarefa para limpar todas as desovas.
  26. Jun 8, 2013
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    Excelente jogo, uma obra de arte, gráficos descomunais, músicas épicas, som de primeira, apenas o PS3 pode proporcionar tão grandiosidade. A franquia GoW realmente uma das melhores. Um dos melhores jogos sendo fechado com chave de ouro.
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    This version noticeably has an arcade like polish to it, sort of like a Japanese style. However epic isn't the word. The first 30 minutes of this smashes GOW3. It's a must for fans and even better for newcomers.
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    Reviews are just opinions from guys that think that they know more about games than you. Because it is their JOB, they lost their passion many times, many of them are tired of games, they play a lot, more than they want. Try this for yourself gamers.

RE6 hated by everyone? All people played the demo before decide to buy and the game sold 4 millions copies on its first week, 5 until now. People dont buy what they hate. This is what really matter, not the Metacritic user score that is a place to haters hate.
  30. Mar 13, 2013
    I play most of the time with my 360, but when EPIC games like are released, I can not resist to playe them, and that is why I have played every God of War game yet, and the main reason I bought a PS3.

The only thing I can say is that this game is AMAZING!!!! way better than GOW3 in every aspect. I love this game so much, that I just cant stop playing. Well, I am writing a review right now, because I though it was very unfair that this game is not getting the score it deserves, so I want people to know that this game is freaking awesome, and the best action game I have ever played.

The combat is addicting, the soundtrack is incredible, and the graphics, oh boy those graphics!!!! Halo 4 looks amazing on the 360, but man this game is the best looking games on consoles I have ever seen!!!! It is quite orgasmic really.

The story is really good. And the multiplayer is really fun.

Every God of War fan must buy this and support the amazing team at SSM for creating such a majestic masterpiece!!!!

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]