• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.6

1. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely great! The graphics are unbelievably pretty, the gameplay is smoother and better than ever, the sound is beautiful and the story is great. The new multiplayer component is absolutely brilliant! I haven't had so much fun multiplayer/co-op is years! This is a great game for any fans of the series or genre. God of War: Ascension is a must buy!
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    One of the stupidest comments I've ever heard this generation is people complaining that this is too much of the same God of War. The has only been ONE console GoW realease this ENTIRE GENERATION! If it was released ever christmas like other franchises and it was always the same then of course it would be annoying. But who cares if it's similiar to it's ONE console sequel this generation. Not only that, but to make their comments even more stupid... it's NOT the same! There are numerous gameplay differences. Not to mention GoW3 is one of the best games ever. And this game lives up to that game. C'mon gamers, use your brains. Expand
  4. Mar 20, 2013
    I think GOW Ascension is a great game. The reason people rate it low is because they compare it to its predecessors. But when you look at Ascension without comparing it to any other game you will find that it is an amazing game done on a console that developers have squeezed every ounce of power to get it running. The graphics is the best, multiplayer is fun and game play is also amazing. Overall Ascension is a great game that no one will regret playing. Expand
  5. Mar 15, 2013
    Got game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountain with some of the best platforming sections I have played in a long time. Puzzles are also abundant and imho represent the highlight of the series in this aspect. Boss battles are limited but epic nonetheless. Level design is top notch, the top of the mountain one, is arguably the best I have seen in a GOW game. GOWA is a COMPLETELY different game than GOW3, it is hands down the entry with the most variety, while remaining true to the series roots. The problem with many of the reviews I read is that they read too much like a GOWA- GOW3 comparison, rather than a review of the game itself. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    Game's great, you guys giving it a 0 are stupid. It has the scale of 2, graphics of 3, and epic battles. I'm gonna give it a 10 just to balance this score back out.
  7. Mar 12, 2013

8. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    Reviews are just opinions from guys that think that they know more about games than you. Because it is their JOB, they lost their passion many times, many of them are tired of games, they play a lot, more than they want. Try this for yourself gamers.

RE6 hated by everyone? All people played the demo before decide to buy and the game sold 4 millions copies on its first week, 5 until now.
    People dont buy what they hate. This is what really matter, not the Metacritic user score that is a place to haters hate. Expand
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    The game innovated in all aspects, has great graphics, great soundtrack, a fantastic story, which makes you hold every second, has an amazing replay factor, a multiplayer to be played for about 5 years straight, a game that deserves the crown of best game of all time!
  13. Mar 16, 2013
    Look, the game isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be average since it seemd they were focusing on MP this time, but boy was I wrong, this game's singleplayer is amazing, not perfect like my score indicated but I only gave it a 10 because so many butthurt trolls are giving it 0s.
  14. Mar 21, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is redefines and improves upon krato's already Blockbuster series.. The combat alone in this game will leave you coming back to grab the controller and feel, like a warrior and spartan several times over. The Multiplayer seems polish with no latency at least non that i have noticed. Sony Santa Monica studios has done it again hats off to the combat designer and the whole God of War team. Thanks Sony. Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2013
    Loved it!. Best looking game to date. Yes it's not going to have all the weapons and epic moments like god of war 3 but its a prequel. People need to understand this. God of war ascension is as brutal as ever and by god it does it well. Multiplayer is also brilliant!. Many reviews say how weak it is but actual people playing it tell a different story. Maybe these reviewers are just crap at this game?.
    I and from my research on the feedback on gowa multiplayer has all been extremely positive. Fun and addictive is the most used words when it comes to multiplayer, I totally agree. this game gets a full 10 from me.
  16. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well for me the game is just super amazing. I totally don't understand people saying that this game isn't as epic as GoW3. Damn, Ascension just cannot be as epic as 3rd part of kratos journey because it's a prologue. Personally I think the game is just crazy good. It got everything in it. The story is good and matches to one smooth piece. There is less action in some moments and more platform jumping,climbing etc etc which I think is actually really good becouse I always like the enviromental aspects of the game. All the swings,jumps,climbs are even more fun that before. Puzzles,well they never been hard in any part of GoW and its no different now. I hate people that says there are no reall EPIC boss fights in Ascension. Sure we aint got bosses on such a enourmusly huge scale like it was in other GoW parts bit personally I think that bosses we face in Ascension are ripping your ass right under your neck. Serously. Fighting with Infected 100-hand man or the sisters themselfs and the final battle with the Queen,all that gives absolutley huge fun and satisfaction. About combat, some moroons said that combat is bad,complicated etc etc that parrying doesnt make any sense yada yada. People who says so just can't play the game and are just weak in it. Me as old veteran of the series had no problems to get use to twixed combat system. You can change the blade of chaos with 4 diffrent attunements right when you are doing combos. Some1 said that you cant make any combos as you are bounded to the Rage meter. That a piece of crap. you just can't play like a puss and smach all buttons and launch heaviest combo.You must mix attacks with succesfull parries ,dodges and R1 grabs and then you press R3+L3 and in meantime you change attunement and lounch special magic attack. However for people that are just bad at GoW games they will moan about screwd combat system which for me is just freshed,intuicional and feel like good old Kratos in action with few upgrades and possibilities to make the combat more spectacular. I finished the game on titan mode which was a nice and hard challange in some moments. After that I was complitely sucked in by multiplayer where I unleash my bloodthirst upon reall players All in all its a MUST HAVE for all GoW fans and those that are starting their adventure with Kratos will get the chance to know how it all started,know Kratos more from the human side etc etc Just brilliant game Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  18. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  19. Jan 24, 2014
    A huge step up from God of War 3. Ascension brings us back to the good old days of God of War. No more over talkative preachy Kratos. In God of War 3 there were too many characters with too many lines... which made for some really bad voice acting and cringe worthy/corny lines. In ascension, you feel like you're playing a real God of War game. If you're somebody who doesn't care about story/atmosphere/voice acting/music..... and the only thing you care about is gameplay, then this game is just like all the other god of war games. The gameplay is the same (of course)... but everything else is a great improvement from God of War 3. God of War 1 is still my favorite in the series, but Ascension has definitely moved into 2nd place. And yes, I have played all the gow game (including both PSP games). I actually have not played that mobile gow game though. Expand
  20. Mar 19, 2013
    The best god of War series i`ve ever played!!! The Story Was good And The graphic.... the graphic is awesome!!! the gameplay was Same As other gow series. However because Of the new weapon system, it was fun! Also, the multiplayer is Awesome too. Beatiful graphic good story and new multiplayer made me to give this game 10 out of 10
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  22. Mar 19, 2013
    Just finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowers the difficulty of Archimedes Trials, because many people cant pass it. GoW Ascension brought me lots of pleasure, im still yet to try the multiplayer, but little does it matter, im already completely amazed. Expand
  23. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  24. Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone compares this to GOW3 when it should be reviewed on its own since it's a PREQUEL.The game delivers what it must deliver:incredible graphics,better combat,over-the-top action and a fun multiplayer. Seriously,stop hating on this game,it may not be the best GOW, but as a a prequel, it gets its job done.
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never
    forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2013
    Once again critics seem to be biased. To expect the scale of what you do in GOW 3 in this game is unreasonable because there is nothing higher than the gods. Having said that this game is epic in its own right. In terms of graphics it is amazing. The music, gameplay, and replay value is also up through the roof. The game has no real flaws. Being more of the same cannot subtract 20 points from the game and so critics are very unreasonable and more passionate about what they would have liked in the game more than being objective and grading the game based on quality for which it doesn't fail. Proof of what I say is the 92 metacritic score of Uncharted 3, that game has less innovation than this GOW but they gave it a higher review. The truth of the matter is that GOW fans and new players alike will enjoy this game greatly and will likely replay the single player various times. As for the multiplayer, it is great and last time I looked there were very few melee type of online games so it should get more credit. People that like action games will love this game. Expand
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    Critics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first of Kratos' mythological adventures to be as world changing and as fast paced as his last; if Kratos took down even one god or Titan during Ascension in a huge battle then the series' cannon would go to pot. Also, critics seem to ignore that the combat has changed for the better and quickly lable it off as 'the same as the other games' which is incredibly ignorant (seriously, some sites don't mention the combat at all besides saying that it's the same, which it isn't). Kratos' character is far more reminiscent of that in God of War I which is a good thing as there was next to nothing likeable about him in God of War III. I suppose it's best now to say that there's nothing wrong with the game, not everything's excellent but there's nothing disastrous in Ascension. I think people will like it whether they're a fan of the series or if they are a fan of action games in general (or if their only complaint was that Kratos shouted too much), there's enough in the game to make it surpass most of the other games in the series (although I didn't feel as if it were as good as God of War II). Furthermore, don't listen to those saying that the multiplayer is rubbish it's only bad when you're bad at it (you'll learn skills on the way which will make the experience all the more fun). The multiplayer is a worthy addition and gives another reason to come back to the game after beating the campaign. Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2013
    Excelente jogo, uma obra de arte, gráficos descomunais, músicas épicas, som de primeira, apenas o PS3 pode proporcionar tão grandiosidade. A franquia GoW realmente uma das melhores. Um dos melhores jogos sendo fechado com chave de ouro.
  31. Apr 7, 2013
    Best God of War yet! Sure it doesn't have the scale of God of War II and one of the weakest storylines in the series however when it comes to gameplay, visuals and replay value (mostly due to the online component) Ascension really proves that it is the best one yet. The campaign is good if not great but this time the online mode really spices up things. It is easily one of the best online modes I have ever seen in a game as it requires skill and fighting techniques rather than simply just seeing the enemy first. Overall the best game I've played this year.

Single player Mode: 9/10 (Story issues and it can get slightly repetitive although fantastic gameplay, stunning visuals and really fun boss battles but not as good as GOW III in this area)
    Online Mode: 10/10 (One of the best online modes ever!)
  32. Mar 13, 2013
    I play most of the time with my 360, but when EPIC games like are released, I can not resist to playe them, and that is why I have played every God of War game yet, and the main reason I bought a PS3.

The only thing I can say is that this game is AMAZING!!!! way better than GOW3 in every aspect. I love this game so much, that I just cant stop playing. Well, I am writing a review right
    now, because I though it was very unfair that this game is not getting the score it deserves, so I want people to know that this game is freaking awesome, and the best action game I have ever played.

The combat is addicting, the soundtrack is incredible, and the graphics, oh boy those graphics!!!! Halo 4 looks amazing on the 360, but man this game is the best looking games on consoles I have ever seen!!!! It is quite orgasmic really.

The story is really good. And the multiplayer is really fun.

Every God of War fan must buy this and support the amazing team at SSM for creating such a majestic masterpiece!!!!
  33. Mar 14, 2013
    Really good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphics this gen. Multiplayer it s fun and fresh take. Worth my hard earn money, to the last penny. Expand
  34. Mar 14, 2013
    Santa Monica Studios did a wonderful job on this game, and it's only mistake is that it has to be compared to all the other masterpieces that are God Of War games. Not to mention that it is a prequel, which automatically gives some people a reason to whine that it's bad, with absolutely no coverage to such a statement. Making a prequel is always challenging, and definitely not easy, yet still the guys pulled it off just like I hoped they would. As for the multiplayer, it's just amazing. I can't believe how many people are saying that it's unoriginal... wake up, you aren't going to find a similar experience to this one anywhere else! It's original, fun, brutal, fluid, the story is great as always, and most of all, it is a true balm for the eyes. It pains me to see people giving this game less than a nine. Cheers. Expand
  35. Mar 14, 2013
    The moment I decided to pick up this game, I presumed it would deliver just what I needed. And it did indeed. A next gen hybrid. The sheer epic scale at which the single player campaign rolls out throughout is simply baffling on many levels. The biggest credit goes to character modeling and lighting rev ups it received as an upgrade over its predecessor GOW 3, the epic masterpiece already it is in a league of its own. To top that is an amazing feat and is laudable by all means. I would urge every gamer not to go by the indifferent reviews put forth against the series's repetitive iteration issue. The multiplayer addition is the such a fine thing to have graced a series that's been devoid of it. Expand
  36. Mar 16, 2013
    my question is that we all know taht god of war is a very good game but why is there sex in it why just they dont make a good game without sex .this game has destroyed the minds of new generations and children who are engaing in such activities.so this means that god of war have such destroying effect on life
  37. Mar 16, 2013
    for me god of war ascension is the best game of the series and i really don't understand why critics don't love it, it has amazing graphics,awesome and satisfying combat,great puzzles and an interesting story,what more can you ask?
  38. Apr 14, 2013
    this is the game you should have it ,the graphic is awesome,the gameplay improved and the story is not bad,ascension is harder than god of war 3 so you should play it
  39. Mar 18, 2013
    Ascension is not really a 10 game but I hate people give it a low mark. It´s a great game but slightly worst than the other GoW, only that.

I love this saga since its starting, so Ascension is not an exception.
  40. Mar 18, 2013
    Jogo incrivel!! Melhor God que ja saiu cenarios incriveis iluminação som. Peca apenas na dificuldade bem melhor do que muitos ja lancados neste ano.
  41. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know why people vote negative this game, What do you want, guys? The gameplay: AWESOME, new moves, weapons, fights, puzzles... The graphics: Unbelievable! the blood, water, sparks, sweat, they're just outstanding! the history is no better than the last games, but it's not bad, IS A PREQUEL! WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING!! Multiplayer is very fun and if you don't like it, is because you're a Call Of Duty Camper. GREAT GAME!! Expand
  42. Mar 22, 2013
    Excellent addition to the series so much more compelling than GoW3. I really had so much fun throughout the entire game and almost finished my second play through. A breath of fresh air to the series and a must play Ps3 title.
  43. Mar 22, 2013
    No, it's not as epic as GoW3 but then again it was never supposed to be, this is a prequel before the time when you became a God who could take on Gods and Titans. You're a human and so that obviously takes away some of the scale but does that make this a worse game? Hells no! This game is brilliant, it makes up for it's lack of wow factor with some fantastic puzzles (some of them are ingenius), great sections of platforming, better visuals, in fact the best visuals on any console so far (until The Last of Us I bet) and a brilliant written story. The combat is also the best it's ever been. Ignore all the Xbox trolls on this site marking the game down, they're just butthurt the 360 gets one exclusive per year. Expand
  44. Apr 5, 2013
    Some of these people may say "Oh, the camera came into odd angles and it made the game even worse with it's "HORRIBLE STORY"." well let me tell you something, this game was made to be before he was a god, if you read the poster at the bottom it says "Before he was a god, He was a man." and a few fights after the game begins, it says it was weeks earlier...How can you tell a difference between kratos when he was a god and being a human now? He looks the same...always will be. His family died before Ascension so therefor he was already covered in their ashes when the game started. ANyways, here's my opinion on the game. It was a great game, it followed the story perfectly to me...I don't care what others say. GOW3 was weaker than this, they only say that because you killed all the gods in GOW3 and had some of the most epic fights in it. GOW:Ascension was better. The controls are the same old GOW controls as always, gore is better, more monsters and more puzzles. Harder bosses is what I like also. Good Job creators. 10-10 Expand
  45. Mar 26, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is an amazing game that you must buy if you own a Playstation 3. Amazing graphics, sound, gameplay, story and the multiplayer it truly excellent! This is the best hack 'n slash game since God of War III.
  46. Mar 27, 2013
    Funny how COD is the same copy and paste multiplayer joke with just a slightly different name but always end up getting good scores. But when another game becomes slightly repetitive, everyone flames it and gives it low scores. If you're a true GoW fan, you will enjoy this game very much and ignore these BS reviews. It is very well crafted and although it's not a 10/10, it definitely deserves a score of above 8.5. Expand
  47. Mar 28, 2013
    The most common complaint about this game I've heard is, "Not epic enough!". What the heck is that supposed to mean? How much "epic" do you need??? This game is truly great and has "epic" in spades. While some may have enjoyed the story of GOW3 more, this game improves on GOW3 in so many ways. The graphics are greatly improved over GW3, something I would have hardly thought possible. The combat is more refined and challenging. I also feel that the platforming elements are improved. The multiplayer is really well executed. It really is refreshing and unique. Gameplay trumps story in my book. After all, how much more can be said about Kratos after 6 games? Many people are complaining about the difficulty level of certain bosses etc... I had to replay certain parts of the game several times to proceed, but I never got bored in the process. Also many people are ready to dismiss multiplayer without giving it a chance. One thing you have to realize is there is a fairly decent learning curve on multiplayer in this game. I played for about a week before I learned the ropes and started to win matches. Be sure to give multiplayer a chance and don't give up in frustration before you get the hang of things. I have really been enjoying the four player free for all.

More boss battle would have been nice, but we have dlc to look forward to with new levels etc... Overall I really appreciate the new things in the game that keep it fresh. This is the best action game on the market right now. The graphics and gameplay are amazing. Multiplayer is amazing. You can't go wrong with this title period.
  48. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. god of war Ascension is the coolest game ever seems to be don't have big difference from the god of war 3 and the battle strategy but actually are significant differences game is very sensible and no end is an amazing game no less dynamic battle in the final same time as meaningful Expand
  49. May 4, 2013
    Sony at its finest.

If you're a fan of the God of War Franchise it doesn't get any better than this. Graphics are breathtaking(The best art I've seen coming from Santa Monica), the combat system is a masterpiece in variety and simplicity (It never gets old and magic is more fun and powerful than ever) the platform and puzzle elements are back(some parts took me back to the PS2 debut)
    and the story gives us a badass Kratos and some very interesting characters and bosses.

The only sin of Ascension is coming after GOW3 and his unavoidable impact on the media and the fans.

Ascension, in my opinion, is the highest point in the history of everybody's favorite spartan.
  50. Jun 4, 2013
    Enquanto Ascensão divertido, mas não está nem perto de GOW3. A história de combate mais fraco e menos satisfatória. No modo rígido, os inimigos são muito tornando-se, por vezes, uma tarefa para limpar todas as desovas.
  51. Jun 8, 2013
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd
  52. Aug 3, 2013
    This game is a master peace it is the best looking game on the ps3 atm, a must buy for all gow fans and it is a great edition to the story. I love this so so very much a must buy if you own a ps3
  53. Apr 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. این بازی مثه سری قبل فوق العاده بود و من خیلی دوستش داشتم .
    همه چیز در حد فوق العاده بود....
  54. Apr 25, 2014
    Great multiplayer, intense game play, incredible art, amazing bosses.. this is God of war Ascension! perhaps the history is exploited but in other questions Ascension brings you a great moments.
  55. Aug 18, 2014
    Best Game Series Ever Best Game Series Ever Best Game Series Ever vBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EvervBest Game Series EvervBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EvervvBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EvervvvBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EvervBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series EverBest Game Series Everv Expand
  56. Mar 12, 2013
    This version noticeably has an arcade like polish to it, sort of like a Japanese style. However epic isn't the word. The first 30 minutes of this smashes GOW3. It's a must for fans and even better for newcomers.
  57. Mar 21, 2013
    8.5 out of 10. God of War is my favorite gaming franchise and I expect the best from Sony Santa Monica. Ascension is a gorgeous game that retains the great combat the series is known for and plenty of mythological creatures are present for disemboweling. While the game is not as high on spectacle as III (honestly, how could it be?) the single player campaign is holds its own in comparison to the previous titles. The story is just as mediocre as earlier games, but its odd pacing in the beginning is a hindrance and hurts the experience. It is also a shorter length, more or less the same as III depending on difficulty and skill level. The multiplayer is a blast and all alignments seem to be pretty balanced, however, the new parry system that works well online serves to hamper single player defense. All in all, it's definitely a worthy title and I look forward to what's in store for the franchise next gen. One can only hope for a new mythology and a new protagonist to tear it down. Expand
  58. Mar 15, 2013
    Comprehensive review of the single player (haven't even tried multiplayer yet and single player is why I play this series) from an oldschool gamer (for those who care to read a review that's probably way too long lol)

Been in love with this series since the first game. I've been gaming since the early 90's, and mostly I prefer old school games. But something about the GOW series really
    stands out to me- the combination of outrageous graphics, epic soundtrack and bosses, the combat, story, etc. Playing these games on hard or titan difficulty results in a huge adrenaline rush, after going through the same fight 15 times, only to finally win with just a sliver of life remaining. The combat and controls are always so tight that when you die, you really feel like it's your own fault and not the game's cheapness. Despite some of the reviews floating around, for me this game is no different in that regard. The changes in combat do make the game feel a bit different than previous ones, but after playing through 6 god of war games multiple times, I welcome some variety. If it had been identical to previous ones, I can GUARANTEE that people would rip it apart for being too similar. At least they tried something a little different, in terms of the parry system and move list. This is a prequel, so Kratos should be weaker than in GoW 3. This is well represented by the game being slightly more challenging, and by throwing more enemies at you. The claims that it is cheap in its difficulty are exaggerated though; I never have to do a fight more than a few times to continue.

GRAPHICS- the best the series has seen. Amazing setpieces, lighting, animations, depth of field effects, motion blur. Probably the best looking console game I've EVER seen.
    AUDIO- epic soundtrack as always. Noticed a few audio glitches, but I heard they will be patched, and it's nothing too serious, unless you're a whiny who likes to complain about every minor detail.
    GAMEPLAY- some of the finest, most intense combat the series has seen. I do prefer the old parry system, but I appreciate that they tried to change it up, to translate Kratos' early period/relative weakness into a gameplay mechanic. I also think this game has by far the most interesting puzzles in the entire series.
    STORY- here is where the game takes a bit of a hit compared to previous games. Definitely the weakest in the entire series in terms of story. I mean, GoW 3 has you killing the king of the gods, as well as his entire crew...how can you possibly come close to matching that. The first 5-6 hours has a story that is paper thin, and had me trying to remember what was the plot and why was I fighting? But the fact is this is already the third prequel they have made for this series, and therefore a lot of backstory has already been explored. It's not that the story is bad, more like nonexistent. Eventually things do pick up in terms of plot progression, but really the first half of the game felt like pure GoW minus any plot. Definitely feels a bit weird. Ultimately though, the gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, and overall epicness of the setpieces, and brutality of the action add up to make an excellent game. Even IF this is the worst in the series in terms of story, it still DESTROYS most other games out there, and as a prequel I think it is still a very entertaining and well made game. No other game gets me to actually scream and bug out as I play, from the excitement it generates. This game is no different. The biggest downside besides the lack of a truly compelling story, is the fact that now I have to wait 3 or more years to play GoW 4 on the ps4. I really don't want to wait that long. Oh well, the multiplayer should hopefully keep me busy until then
  59. Jan 1, 2014
    As someone who was unimpressed with GOW 3, but was blown away by all the other GOW games, I was a little worried that this game would disappoint me in the same way the third GOW did. Thankfully "Ascension" lives up to the high standards I hold this series to. Everything about it makes for another high-quality action game that puts most of it's competition to shame.

Ascension is another
    title that really shows off what the PS3 can do graphically. Everything looks super realistic and has a high attention to detail. These improved graphics make the gorier kills in this game even more delightfully disgusting and graphic, and there are some truly spectacular sights to behold in this game. The soundtrack is, as always, fantastic. I do feel that the story could have used a little more work, because it can get a little disorientating to jump back and forth through time. It all comes together in the end, but this is one of my least favorite GOW plots.

As far as gameplay goes everything is in tip-top shape. The amazing spectacle, brutal kills, and tight combat system make this an experience that you'll find hard to put down. Whether you're tackling an outrageously huge boss or just average enemy fodder, it's hard not to have a blast while doing so. This is the tightest the combat system has ever been. In a first for the series there's even multiplayer this time around. It's really fun and incredibly satisfying to kill an opponent, but I don't feel like it has the most staying power, at least not for me. Still, it's a nice addition and the only real complaint I have with it is related to the fact that if you buy it used or rent it you have to shell out $10 for the online pass. Seriously guys even EA learned that this isn't cool, why can't you?

Ascension manages to provide a new GOW experience while simultaneously managing to keep up to the series high expectations. In both the single player and multiplayer experiences there is an unbelievable, yet expected, high level of quality. It's not the best GOW but it is still a fantastic experience that any fan of the series should play.
  60. Mar 16, 2013
    As an avid God of War fan I per-ordered this months ago. This was a day one purchase for me and I am very happy that I picked it up. This game is about the same length as all of the other God of War games(about 5-10 hours, can be longer if you are on Titan) and has a very solid combat system. There are some new improvements in the game play and it makes everything more streamlined and feels more intuitive. The story is not as good as God of War III, but it is an amazing story nonetheless. The difficulty does ramp up from time to time and it does get very difficult at times, but that is what God of War is built upon. The multi player is a fun addition that is very well done. It is something that is very unique and has a lot of opportunity for continued play in the future, there is no doubt that I will continue to play the multi player over the upcoming months. Overall I give this game a 9/10 it would get a 10, however with it following up on God of War III, it would be pretty difficult to get a 10 when compared to that. Expand
  61. Mar 14, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is not a filler, but a good chapter that every fan of the series to play. Kratos is brought to relive events that do not yet know each other and the team at Santa Monica Studio been able to offer a gameplay fresh and renewed. The visual quality excels at any time without leaving a trace in any snagging. From the technical point of view, the title is definitely the killer app for the Playstation 3, so that PS4 can wait. Only a narrative epic and less carefully than the rest of the production and the duration shorter than the main chapters, do not allow them to reach a very high longevity, however worthily filled by a brand new multiplayer mode that captivates from the first minute, varied and well-matched Ultimately, this prequel is a "must buy" for every owner of PS3, even more so if fans of the series. Kratos is back to lay down the law!
  62. Apr 30, 2013
    The God of War series has always had epic gameplay and stunning graphics. Plus if you like the testosterone driven badass type of hero... well, Kratos is the king Kobra Kai.

While the story is not as strong as in the other console GOW games, the combat has really added a bunch of new dimensions. I really had a blast with all the new moves and strategies... and without a doubt I became
    a more badass GOW player then ever before. I'm lassoing enemies, freezing them, throwing them, and then ripping their heads off. It just feels so satisfying when you get Kratos in the zone, he's just so epic and the graphics look stunning at full-fight intensity.

Oh and every single boss battle is unique and gnarly fun.
  63. Mar 14, 2013
    Avaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, God of War Ascension pode não ser o melhor da série, mais tirando seus antecessores, de longe o melhor hack'n slash da geração. Abraço e fiquem com Deus! Expand
  64. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow! finally another God of War game which is my favorite video game saga ever! This game is great, especially if you like any of the God of War games. The graphics are beautiful, the sound is ok but cuts out at times in some places. The story is pretty good but not the best in the series and not as many boss battles as i would have liked. The bosses you do encounter are pretty sweet and the brutality is there and better than ever! Multiplayer is pretty fun and i like it alot better than i thought. The reason this game is not a solid 10 from me is because of a few glitches that are annoying throughout the game, hopefully a simple patch will fix them. Great game!! Highly recommend! Expand
  65. Mar 20, 2013
    God of War: Ascension takes a well established formula and continues it to the highest pedigree of its predecessors. There is no doubt the game feels familiar and if you were never a GOW fan this game will not when you over, however if you do enjoy the GOW series this game is MUST OWN. The graphics and production values are once again best in class and some of the best boss fights in the business are back yet again. It also features a new online multiplayer mode that feels very familiar with a classic Dreamcast game known as" Power Stone". The MP mode can get a little chaotic at times but once you pick it up there is much fun to be had and it is a unique multiplayer experience that has not been seen in a while. So for fans of GOW or great action adventure games in general, I recommend this game. Expand
  66. Mar 12, 2013
    Krato's is back in full form, some say not as angry but he has thirst for blood is still unquenchable. Santa Monica has delivered another eye pleasing, adrenaline pumping adventure with the character many have come to know as the misunderstood God of War. Join Kratos as we go back in time to when it all began.

This is another masterpiece and a must have
  67. Mar 27, 2013
    Brutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some getting use to. The only problems I had with the game is that at some parts the game just felt a little too slow. The other problem I had was the story consistently going back and forth between "Present Day" and 3 or 2 weeks earlier and a majority of the game just felt like filler and once you returned to "Present Day" you realized the game basically took place in 1 day the back and forth was too much to keep up with it felt like. But, other than the minor problems, this game is my early favorite for Game of the Year 2013. I highly recommend it for God of War fans on the fence. Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2013
    A great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series should definitely check out! Expand
  69. Mar 17, 2013
    So, this game is hard for me to review. I mean, it is a great game, worthy of a great score, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's one I will play through more than once. It feels like something is missing even though, the combat is smooth like you would expect, the visuals are amazing, the puzzles actually had me puzzled, a few times. Kratos just doesn't seem himself. They try and give him some humanity and at this point your not sure if he should be the most angry he has ever been or if it's more justified later in your conflict with the gods of Olympus. The multilayer is like putting Kratos against Kratos and it is fun in game play and customization. I am not sure how long it will be played before you move on. All in all a great game like I said just feels different not as connected to Kratos. Expand
  70. Mar 17, 2013
    Good points: -Great combat options -Amazing graphics -Best boss fights ever -Epic intro and ending -Great grabbing options -Medium-high enemies difficulty -Great multiplayer -Interaction with scenery weapons -Best soundtrack ever Bad points: -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?) -Weakest story of the saga -Repetitive -"Why am I doing this?" moments
    -No challenge puzzles
    -No sex time
    -Many DLCs coming
  71. Jun 16, 2013
    With this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. I played a while the multiplayer and i enjoyed it. I would give it a 8 but with the multiplayer i give it a 9. Expand
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!
  73. Apr 20, 2013
    Great game, story is very good, graphics is awesome, blood every where, epic ending. This is a great prequel and you will have a great time. The multiplayer is fun, you will keep playing this game for month
  74. Mar 13, 2013
    It's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to a new high and the visuals are absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to delve into multiplayer fully, so I'll exclude that portion here. If Ascension would have used the first several hours of gameplay to really make the player feel the sorrow and insanity Kratos is facing, I think we could have seen the best entry in the franchise. At the end of the day, if you're a fan of God of War or action games in general, you're not going to find much (if anything) to complain about here. It's brutal, it's beautiful, and most of all, it's a blast. Expand
  75. Apr 26, 2013
    This is a very good game, but it is a major letdown compare to GoW 3. The gameplay is as good as ever, with new combos, powers and items. The multiplayer is a refreshing fun addition that kept me playing for hours trying to unlock new weapons. But the story struggles, because sometimes you ask yourself why we're you there, and then you remember why the point of the story was, which didn't happened with previous GoW. Furthermore if you are a GoW fan you will love this game, if not even with issues the game is still awesome. Expand
  76. May 1, 2013
    Ascension brought multiplayer to one of the best franchises. You see Kratos smile in the game.. a genuine smile crosses his face; if that's not enough for fans out there then I don't know what is.
  77. Aug 31, 2013
    God of War Ascension is a disappointing game, but at the same time, a very good game. My exceptancys were very high, but the plot is very bad. Obviously, the game contain all the good mechanics, graphics and brutal violence of the previous games and this saves the game and makes it worth playing
  78. Jun 16, 2013
    i can't understand why people hated this game this game is fantastic a real god of war game kratos character is back and with more RAGE and the story is really good i loved this game and am a god of war fan i really recommend this game
  79. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  80. Mar 13, 2013
    I liked the campaign even though it does lack the epic and numerous boss fights seen in God of War 3. IT NEEDS MORE BOSSES! I saw some critic reviews saying the multiplayer was tacked on or just solid. When I played it for the first time it was a great breath of fresh air from regular multiplayer with guns. I will be playing the multiplayer long after I finish the game because it is pretty fun and has 4 interesting modes. Overall it is one of the best god of war games I think the only game that beats this is god of war 3. Expand
  81. Mar 19, 2013
    God Of War Ascension: Is in my opinion the best in the series. The graphics are amazing and the story is great. Well worth £40,The only moan I have is the camera can switch, which can be annoying.
  82. Mar 19, 2013
    What I love: improvements to the fighting mechanics. I absolutely love the tethering, the rage meter and accompanied increased blade speed, the angled aerial fighting (hitting opponents in the air while kratos is still on the ground), and the kicky and punchy you can add to combos. These add to the most satisfying combat the series has seen, for me anyways. I also loved that they brought back the "adventure feel" to this game that was similar to gow 1 and 2 but was missing in 3. The promptless mini games were an upgrade as well. The story was confusing the first time through flashing back 3 and then 2 weeks but it did so in similar fashion to gow 1 which gave some nostalgia. But id say leave the non linear narrative to tarantino. I aslo feel this games score is the strongest in the series. And for me that makes a big difference. i hope they get bates to do the next game. All in all I had an absolute blast playing this game. Really worth picking up Expand
  83. Mar 19, 2013
    The most amazing new thing about Ascension is the battle mini-games, where you no longer use Quick Time Events, but something new, like well you do a finish move a on enemy the camera changes you movement gets limited and you can attack and evade only, do this right for some time and the brutal kill happens, this is better than boring Quick Time Events. The multiplayer is one of the best parts of the game, each map is unique, so when you play Desert of The lost Souls you can kill the Cyclops but on other map you can take control of a Giant Medusa, each weapon has 2 magic attacks with more than 20 weapons makes more than 50 different magic attacks. And a Human kratos is waiting for you on the single player. They even make you fight 2 bosses at the same time. The trial of arquimedes that some reviewers complain is the hardest part of the game, but i got pass this and only died there two times.

Pros: Amazing graphics, amazing soundtrack, amazing multiplayer, you get to know kratos better.

Cons:Some bugs.
  84. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome and addicting multiplayer that will keep me playing this one for a while!! Expand
  85. Mar 26, 2013
    Ascension is a fantastic example of doing a prequel right. Sure, it's story isn't as meaty as the other games in the series, and yes the gameplay remains largely the same, But is still another must have for a GoW fan, its tweaks and changes to the familiar formula is a welcome and quite frankly welcome change. Changes to the climbing and platforming sections have also made the experience more enjoyable and has made me actually look forward to these events as opposed to dreading them when i got to them in the past. The series trademark of over the top and frankly, epic action is most definitely in tact. I for one would say this game has my absolute favorite section of any of the games in the series. No spoilers from me, but it left me in absolute awe at how perfect the whole segment was executed. By itself i would give the single player content a high score, but this entry in the series supports some extremely (and unexpectedly) fun multiplayer. With FFA (free for all), co-operative, 2v2 and 4v4 modes there is plenty of content. It even allows a single player to try these modes out alone, but they shine far brighter in co-op then alone. Personally, the FFA brawls were the most fun I had, it is fast paced, energetic and more tactical than expected. All in all the whole package for Ascension is fantastic, not quite as good in the single player department as GoWIII, but the multiplayer to me, makes the game just as impressive as its highly regarded predecessor. Expand
  86. Mar 23, 2013
    It is not GOW 4. think about it as a fun addition to the franchise.

The locations and visuals are amazing, the combat is great and the main antagonists are alot of fun.

9/10 for me.
  87. Mar 23, 2013
    For anyone new to the series, this is pretty awesome. For everyone else who've played the other games or even all of the other ones, it'll feel pretty familiar (almost too familiar). I'll give the devs props for making the combat a bit better and adding multiplayer, which does actually play alot better than most would expect. Too many reviewers bash this game's story and gameplay but it wouldn't be GoW without the button mashing or even references to Greek Mythology! This is a great game and addition to your library in my honest opinion Expand
  88. Mar 24, 2013
    In God of War: Ascension, you play as Kratos, the ghost of sparta, who has broken a bloodoak with Ares, Kratos is locked up and tortured by the furies, the keepers of justice. When Kratos Escapes from their prison, he begins his quest for the eyes of truth, to kill the furies. And then break the bond with Ares, to finish him off. The story in god of war: ascension’s is great, as you get a look into his earlier life, and how he became who he is. As for gameplay wise, the combat is super smooth, and looks incredible as always. In the previous games, you could buy new weapons and so on, but in ascension, you cannot buy new weapons. You can upgrade them though, which really makes a different. God of War, has always been known for the Quick-Time events, usually, I am not a big fan of them, but in Ascension, they add to the experience in a good way, being able to completely destroy a creature in an incredible brutal way, looks awesome, and feels very rewarding.

The God of War fixed camera, both makes and breaks the experience. It really does make you enjoy the environment and the beautiful game that this is. But, sometimes it is just taken too far, it will at some battle moments zoom way too far away, so that it is almost impossible to see yourself, and the fight, other than the slight moments of zooming away, the locked camera works really good. Just like the graphics in this game, the creatures are both terrifying, and stunning at the same time, there are a load of different creatures and bosses, which makes it even more interesting.

A thing that the God of War games have been criticised before with, is that it is repetitive, in Ascension, it is not as repetitive as the earlier ones, they have really worked to make it non repetitive, with new puzzles and exciting areas.

A new addition to the God of War series, is the multiplayer, this is phenomenal and is a great addition to the franchise! In the multiplayer you can play up to 8 people, in 4 modes, there is the usual “FFA” “Team Deathmatch” and so on, but with a God of War twitch, for example. In the map: The Desert of the Lost Souls, you play two teams of four in a deathmatch type area, but in the background, we have Titan Cyclops Polyphemus, who is attacking the player while you are fighting around, this really adds to the experience.

God of War Ascension, is a game that both old and newcomers to the series will enjoy, it is about 8 hours long on the normal difficulty, and the multiplayer adds a lot of extra hours if you are interested in that, the only downside is the slight overuse of quicktime events, and the fixed camera sometimes move too far away. We give Ascension a 9/10. For more gaming news and reviews, head over to BetaLoot.com
  89. Mar 25, 2013
    I wanted to do a review of the God of War Ascension because people are saying things that doesn't make sense. God of War Ascension is a God of War game. It feels like a God of War game. There are a few tweaks like the rage meter and it is a good thing. It makes a bit less button mashing game and wants you to dodge more and be less careless about the incoming attacks. Overall the game is epic. Don't listen to those fools who do not appreciate new tweaks. Otherwise it would be the same game after all and everybody will be bored after playing it. Story is good. Don't worry no spoilers. Kratos is the same. He owns nothing and offers nothing :D. And i am not talking about multiplayer! It is hell of a fun. If you love God of War series you should play it. It is worth 60 bucks. If you are still not convinced than go and try out the God of War Ascension Demo. Expand
  90. Apr 2, 2013
    God of War is a true classic game again Graphics exquisite, the story is gripping and long ..Kratos may be negative for some, but this time the story is not so wild reflects very well.In addition, new multiplayer modes, which was a very pleasant.
    Ascension can not get full marks from me, but God of War manages to establish the throne of my heart again.
  91. Apr 24, 2013
    Absolutely brutal. This game has almost everything a good God Of War game should have, minus an amazing story. While the story is still great, it falls a bit short compared to other GoW titles. The gameplay is still loveable, ESPECIALLY the online play.
  92. Apr 25, 2013
    i really like this game i played the Ps3 version and it looks incredible, but in my opinion its almost the same in GOW 3 same kind of history nothing new only characters and the new multiplayer but still i recommend this game no doubt
  93. Apr 29, 2013
    God of War Ascension may not be as epic as God of War III, but this is a prequel, and it is an amazing game with satisfying combat and fun multiplayer.
  94. May 25, 2013
    This game is a step backwards in story and gameplay. The stories villains don't stand up well to the likes of Ares and Zeus. Kratos movement seems slower and less responsive but this could be a clever way to show you his skills are closer to a mortal in ascension. Overall I think combat and story sell this franchise and ascension is just not a grand enough story like we're used to getting. It is still tons of fun. Also has online multiplayer that can be addictive. Expand
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    Really enjoyable game.
    This is my first bash at a god of war game and I like it. The combat is fast paced and brutal and you're always aspiring to get Kratos combo meter up to unleash better attacks. Though I've not yet completed the game, I have put several hours in to it and i'm still hungry for more. It looks nice, some boss battles are of epic proportion and though it's on rails, is
    thoroughly enjoyable. This game has made me get Ghost of Sparta to play on my Vita and I will be getting 1,2 & 3 to play as well.
    I missed these gems but won't let them slip by again.
    Ascension is excellent. get it.
  96. Nov 14, 2013
    Sound: Nice soundtrack, great voice acting. 10.

Graphics: The best GOW graphics to date. 10.

Gameplay: Hack and slash game like the previous title with a while lot of new features. There’s different god-like blades which add to the hack and slash mechanics. The game never feels like its repeating itself, Ascension does an amazing job of keeping just the right pace. The
    puzzles are just perfect, not too challenging, but just the right challenge. The gameplay has a more focused camera angles which makes it feel more in your face realism. Multiplayer has been added and it’s not revolutionary but it is a great added bonus to an already superb title. 10.

Story: I enjoyed how the story is told in this game; past, present, past, present. The ending falls short compared to God of War 3. And it felt like it ended too quickly, and that the story’s pacing was a little rushed. Overall it was a great story, but not the best in the God of War series. 8.5.

Replay Value: I beat the game on normal in about 8 hours, plus the game has multiplayer. This isn’t last minute cash in and I’d definitely recommend this game. The gameplay is better at mixing things up when compared to God of War 3, but the story falls a little short. 10.

Overall Score: 9.7 out of 10.
  97. Nov 24, 2013
    Another brilliant game to add to the series,combat remains the same ,if its not broke don't fix it ,the only problem now is where does the epic spartan warrior go from here
  98. Feb 2, 2014
    I was looking forward to this game, because I played God of War III and I really enjoyed it. GoW: Ascension did not disappoint my expectations. Fantastic graphics, breathtaking game scenes. Amazing gameplay. Plus a story. Unforgettable game.
  99. Mar 7, 2014
    Before picking up this game, I had never played a GoW game, or even a Ps3. I had always owned an Xbox.

I was floored by the graphics, the depth of the storyline, and the overall likeability of the game. I liked it so much I went and bought GoW 1-3, and I'm looking forward to the games that many are saying are better.

Many of the complaints are legit, but I think, as a new fan, it is
    worth picking up. Expand
  100. Oct 9, 2014
    I love the game especially in online player mode truly is a great game to play. i find myself setting in front of the tv for 3 or more hours trying to beat other players all over the globe.

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]