• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 12, 2013
7.5

1. Mar 14, 2013
    While Ascension is fun, it is nowhere near to Gow3. A weaker story and less satisfying combat. On hard mode, enemies are too much making it sometimes a chore to clear out all the spawns.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    So i wasn't expecting too much out of this game as it wasn't getting the best "pre-release" feedback, which did have me worried. But after playing through the story mode, (i got an early copy) i came to realize that the ONLY thing this game does wrong, is that it has to be compared to god of war 3. Thats it. The multiplayer is original (for the most part) and fun to play, and the story mode offers a new side of kratos which i'm very happy to see. This game in my opinion though is the second best in the series, with GOW3 still being the best. Ascension was screwed right from the beginning for being a prequel about the furies... That will, no matter what, ALWAYS be less entertaining than scaling mt. Olympus in order to kill zeus an the other gods, which is the only reason i can't/won't score this game any higher than it's well deserved 9/10. Very well done *clapping* Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2013

4. Mar 13, 2013
    El Calvo is Back The Best Game ever made, SuperB Graphics and cinematics better than God of War 3, You must understand the story before writing a review, You can,t expect fight against Titans or Gods because the story starts almost 10 years before God of War 1 PS2 and six months after he sacrifices his family to Ares. You will find a epics battles, the human side of Kratos, new brutal and bloody combat design better than GOW3, unparallel and beautiful stages design, Incredible music and sound track, Santa Monica is preparing us to God of War 4 on PS4. Compi hicimos honor con este review el Bichh! Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2013
    Ascension doesn't even come close to the epic scale of the other God of War games and misses a lot of its marks. Story wasn't very satisfying to play through, and the combat is beginning to show its age. The puzzles weren't very intuitive, and there was a bit too many platforming bits for my taste. The next game is going to have to pull out all the stops if the series wishes to remain relevant in the fast-paced video game industry. Still, it's worth playing when it comes down in price, or if you give it a rent. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    I am one hell of a GoW fan, and so it hurts me deeply to see such a disappointing, utterly unnecessary... thing.

The game is poorly paced, thanks to a complete lack of any motivation getting you through pretty setpiece to underwhelming boss fight, with extra annoying monsters to pad the gaps. The bestiary is lacking (think Silent Hill: Downpour), and its limited assets keep swapping
    elements and/or color. The Blizzard School of Enemy Design, I see...

Music is good, though easily forgettable, and the sound, my God! the sound keeps getting cut during cutscenes, resulting in a audiovisual experience. Or the game bugs. That's a nice touch.

I don't know about multiplayer, because I certainly wouldn't touch the thing, but let me tell you that if it shows the same lack of polish the solo campaign does, well...

All in all, it should be noted that Ascension brings absolutely NOTHING new to the table. Everuthing it does, it was done better by previous GoW titles... Even by previous rip-offs. It is a cut and paste job straight from the GoW 3 Scrapyard, complete with a boring story and too few interesting sights to behold. I never thought I would see the day Chains of Olympus was going to be out-sucked. Todd Pappy should retire. That is all!
  7. Mar 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. sure it does not have the scale of god of war 3,but it adds on so much to the franchise that it gives me hope for a sequel,i never cared this much about kratos as much as i do now,he is not the same anymore,he is not a merciless killing machine,here he is a warrior who had suffered beyond measure from his torture to the death of his family you could still sense his human side,he still is going destroy anyone in his way as long as he gets in his way for he is tired of the furies,of his unfair oath.
    combat is even better than the previous instalments of the franchise and take it to a whole new level from magic,to rage,to the secondary weapons,it all feels so good and satisfying.the visuals are even better than god of war 3 which surprised me!every drop of blood,sweat or water,every muscle in kratos' body is detailed beyond any game i have played on ps3.not to forget the surprisingly good multiplayer!this game has everything,try it out.
  8. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is everything I have expected for it to be; Brutal and Spectacular! This is the most refined GOW game yet (YES EVEN BETTER THAN GOW3), with great combat additions, great variaty on the scenery, nice puzzles and great pacing. I know that it is not as Epic as GOW3, but that is because of it being a prequel, so Kratos cant fight a Titan or other things like that, but still it is freaking epic and ultra fun to play. The weapons system in Ascension is better than in GOW3, because of instead getting different kinds of the same blades (that are not as useful as the original), you alter the original blades with elemental power and thus enabling you to some really crazy stuff, and also you have the ability of using weapons dropped in the stage an complement your combos with lots of great stuff, or if you dont feel like picking them up, there is a new melee system that is also really sweet. You can also use some gadgets in combat and stop time. really really sweet!! The grapple here is changed. Now you grab opponents with R1 instead of circle, and now you can do a lot more stuff while you have grabbed them. You can either hit the one you grabbed, throw him against other enemies, or even while grabbing him fight other dudes. The combat is freaking awesome as you may be already expecting. Another addition to combat is that when a monster is about to die, and you trigger the killing minigame, there are some enemies, that offer a QTE-less minigame, and now you are the one to dodge and hit him when having the chance. There are also the other minigames with QTEs, but they are done really good too, so they dont take the action out of the game The soundtrack is the best of any GOW game yet. Even though it has at times music featured in other GOW games, they have been changed and tweaked, making the experience even more epic. How the story unfolds, is really nice. You get a much deeper story experience than in any other previous GOW game. The acting the motion capture is top-notch!!!! I wont spoil the story for you so I will stop right there :D. The now features a new game plus option, which is really nice, because it adds even more replayability than before. If this game only had the single player portion it would be still the best GOW game out there, with a SP longer than GOW3!! BUT there is more in the package wohoo!! The multiplayer is really cool, I have not played much yet, because I also have some responsibilities, but so far it is really entertaining. I picked up ARES as the olympian I would fight for, so that I can also be some sort of Kratos in the MP lol XD. Each Olympian gives to his champions different abilities, so it is really cool to play against and with other people that have different kind of sets of moves, and looked in awe they great attacks even if they are killing you! :P The game is well balanced, and even though it is based on MP modes we have already played in other games, the fact that this is GOW, makes them really fun and visceral to play. As you already noticed I am having an spectacular, and fun time playing this. If you are a GOW fan, dont let you to be convinced by reviewers who have not even bothered in exploring all the things the developers have added in this game. This game is quite amazing if play and explore it just like you did the previous GOW games. And if you are not a fan, and you just want to play a great action adventure game, if you play this game, and let it flow you will have an amazing experience with it. For me, this is the best action/adventure/hack n slash game I have ever played. the action, the music, the story, the graphics, are amazing, and together bring to life an outstanding package you can not miss. Expand
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    better then super mario galaxy
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    I can say this game is very amazing Ascension is a game that’ll make you cheer and wince in equal measure.
    Few games embody the definition of epic quite like God of War. From tangling with the Hydra at the beginning of the first game to facing the Colossus of Rhodes and more recently the breathless, brutal battle against Poseidon, Kratos’ first steps into a new adventure are never
    forgettable. So it’s somewhat surprising and indeed disappointing that the beginning of God of War Ascension kicks off with more of a muted hand-clap than the usual rib-shattering bang. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    The game has the best story, best gameplay, best graphics (for any console game) and the most human Kratos in the entire GOW series. That's all I need to say. To match, and then surpass the peaks set by previous GOW games is no small feat, and Sony Santa Monica did it, AGAIN.
  12. Mar 12, 2013
    God Of War: Ascension is for the most part the good old GOW we've come to know and love which in this case is the most disappointing part. It's GOW 3 with that extra bit of gloss and minor game mechanic tweaks. The single player campaign is short but sweet, however with lesser boss fights. The most redeeming part of the whole package is the multiplayer, fast paced and fun. Overall i found GOW: Ascension a minor disappointment. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2013
    For starters. The game seems just unfinished. The audio is quite flat for 5.1 surround. I honestly had to keep checking my sound system display to make sure it was outputting to all the channels. The graphics are, of course, over-the-top for vistas and cutscenes, but for the platforming and combat there is something just off about everything. Kratos moves in such a wooden manner that [evade] is pointless. Likewise, [double jump] is completely broken. Don't expect much reliability, accuracy or timing with that one in a boss battle. Don't expect precision from either if you are being swarmed.

And that leads me to my main issue with the game: the difficulty settings are astronomically skewed. If you initially select Hard, be prepared to do a lot of the same stuff repeatedly until you just happen to luck your way past a fight. Why? Because of the above issues meet an egregiously reprehensible respawn implementation in the game. Apparently, the developers are so in love with their sweeping set pieces that they want us to experience them over and over and over and over ad nauseam et infinitum. Their idea of scaled difficulty is to overwhelm Kratos in a small area with defective defenses against a multitude of leveled-up enemies who cannot be avoided vertically And laterally. Death is quick and often. Restart is also brilliantly without full health and often before a long intro (to an even minor battle) that is not skippable! And some of these "cutscenes" you have to actively trudge through for no reason just to get back to the point of inevitable reset.

I am all for a challenging experience but it has to be well-designed. And it cannot impede progress in the narrative. Easy Level typically means an all-offense approach will get you through. Normal Level requires some avoidance and some defensive tactics. Hard more defense, combos, wise upgrades. Insane hard plus precise timing, stealth, wait-and-see strategy. And all of those are fine if the gameplay mechanics of the release function and do so with balance to the enemy AI. Seriously, Santa Monica should have spent the wasted time of a multiplayer into polishing the interactive campaign portions which actually feel like a bad stiff multiplayer. One of the worst sins of game-making is undue repetitious gameplay in story mode; in multiplayer it is expected. But in this campaign, it causes a player to walk away from the console.

Plus, even if it were working, it is just the same old familiar GOW you've done five games before. And in this latest one, you'll be repeating enough as it is.
  14. Mar 12, 2013
    Glitchy,feels rushed, boring! And I'm a huge God of war fan! I'm not sure what happened here. The game looks great but it's not a God of war game. Today is a sad day.
  15. Mar 12, 2013
    Sem duvidas um dos melhores jogos dessa geração,multiplayer viciante,se você fã ou gosta do genero,compre sem pensar duas vezes.God of War Asecension grandioso como todo GoW já lançado até hoje.
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! The critics bashing of the game isn't justified, their only complaint is that it's too similar to God of War III which is the most acclaimed bestselling game in the genre EVER so how is that a negative?! God of War: Ascension is amazing in every way and the multiplayer is a brilliant addition to the series.
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    AWESOME game,as always
    SantaMonica did it again
    I recomend to all
    Gameplay with litle diferences but as fun as always
    Flawless experience so far
    Kratos looks amazing and the world too
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    Critics were way too harsh on this game for being a prequel and for being part of the God of War series. I don't think I've seen a review that doesn't mention God of War III and how Ascension isn't as epic as it, but the critics fail to realise that the game isn't meant to be as epic as the third game because it's a prequel. In the game's universe it would not make sense for the first of Kratos' mythological adventures to be as world changing and as fast paced as his last; if Kratos took down even one god or Titan during Ascension in a huge battle then the series' cannon would go to pot. Also, critics seem to ignore that the combat has changed for the better and quickly lable it off as 'the same as the other games' which is incredibly ignorant (seriously, some sites don't mention the combat at all besides saying that it's the same, which it isn't). Kratos' character is far more reminiscent of that in God of War I which is a good thing as there was next to nothing likeable about him in God of War III. I suppose it's best now to say that there's nothing wrong with the game, not everything's excellent but there's nothing disastrous in Ascension. I think people will like it whether they're a fan of the series or if they are a fan of action games in general (or if their only complaint was that Kratos shouted too much), there's enough in the game to make it surpass most of the other games in the series (although I didn't feel as if it were as good as God of War II). Furthermore, don't listen to those saying that the multiplayer is rubbish it's only bad when you're bad at it (you'll learn skills on the way which will make the experience all the more fun). The multiplayer is a worthy addition and gives another reason to come back to the game after beating the campaign. Expand
  19. Mar 13, 2013
    This is my first review ever for a video game. I must say that GoW: Ascension is an epic game. Graphics are amazing. The detail for the characters and the environments are outstanding. The gameplay is like every other GoW game, but this time the tweaked it a little. Now you can grapple an opponent with one blade and with the other attack other bad guys. This time there's no secondaries weapons like in past games (you finished a boss fight and earn that epic new weapon like the Olympus Blade from GoW 2), now you have the Blades and you earn 4 different elements for them (fire, ice, electricity and soul) and you can disarm enemy and use their weapons. The difficulty is hard even in normal for me (I have finished 3 of the others 5 games in the most hard difficulty) and I haven't got to the Trial of Archimedes Multiplayer is good, something different from what we are accustomed. Try to train a little get used to the new combos and you are going to be fine. If you are a fan of the GoW franchise go get it now and if you are not and want to try a great game and want to try a different and refreshing multiplayer get it too. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2013
    God of war: ascension in one word: Boring! The combat is slow and unresponsive and 4 hours into the game i still had no idea what was going on or what i was supposed to accomplish. The story is weak and poorly paced, by far the worst god of war game imo. I have not tried the multiplayer so that might make me want to play the game again... But i will probably never bother to complete the single player part of the game, just not worth it. Expand
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    I will make it simple. This game continues the epicness of this franchise. It may not be like his predecessors, but it is a lovely game to play that will satisfy your needs to kick ass!
  22. Mar 17, 2013
    what a bad god of war poor story poor combo and rage system lack of weapons and no replay value. i max all my weapons health and magic in my first playthrough. obviously this game was rush out to just to make a quick buck extremly poor effort
  23. Mar 15, 2013
    God of War: Ascension has the best graphics in this generation and kratos looks like next gen(most detailed character ever.....even better than in gow III).......gameplay is awesome with refined combat than ever.......sure the story didn't impress me as much as in previous entries as well as the boss fights but the multiplayer makes up for that.......
  24. Mar 12, 2013
    Excelente jogo, uma obra de arte, gráficos descomunais, músicas épicas, som de primeira, apenas o PS3 pode proporcionar tão grandiosidade. A franquia GoW realmente uma das melhores. Um dos melhores jogos sendo fechado com chave de ouro.
  25. Mar 12, 2013
    I was excited to see what new was there in the new GOW, sadly the game felt the same as the old one it was nothing but mash this, kill that, after all these years i expected the combat to change but it was the same more or less.

The game was slightly better than DmC but overall felt like a beat em up than hack & slash the chain blade weapon is slow this time around giving the illusion
    AI being challenging a bit, the sound effects are good,but i overall didn't like the too dramatic scripted boss battles, the world feels empty & hollow at times & i couldn't wait for the demo to end, sorry this is the truth, IMO after so many years of GOW sony could have improved the game

If you weren't into god of war before then you wont be now, with the Online MP said to be underwhelming, i don't find anything appealing about the game

In the end it's just another button masher & gore game for fans of such thing, which is a shame really since santa monica have developed quite the repute, mainstream gamers & GOW cult gamers will love it, not sure about people like me who want challenging grunt enemies, fun combat with loads of weapons, live surrounding which lets you soak the atmosphere & less brainless button mashing
  26. Mar 15, 2013
    bought it for the mp. never played anything so unbalanced, chaotic and frustrating like this game... hope they will bring up some patches. actually, its just nice for a few rounds/evenings, but at some point you recognize its less depending on skill than it looks. it depends mostly on your weapons "L1+square" & "L1+triangle" skills, and a little bit of luck (at some point enemys are done with less than 2 combos)...you will get kicked out, one-shoted, seeing others getting your kill, getting no kill cos of animationbugs, or getting a kill without doing anything, or things like unblockable light attacks, etc pp. resumee: unless some patching mp is nothing serious Expand
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    This version noticeably has an arcade like polish to it, sort of like a Japanese style. However epic isn't the word. The first 30 minutes of this smashes GOW3. It's a must for fans and even better for newcomers.
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Reviews are just opinions from guys that think that they know more about games than you. Because it is their JOB, they lost their passion many times, many of them are tired of games, they play a lot, more than they want. Try this for yourself gamers.

RE6 hated by everyone? All people played the demo before decide to buy and the game sold 4 millions copies on its first week, 5 until now.
    People dont buy what they hate. This is what really matter, not the Metacritic user score that is a place to haters hate. Expand
  29. Mar 18, 2013
    another rush-for-money game.
    sony is going to be another "EA".
    i like sony at past but at this generations they are "all copy-followers".
    "gow 1-2" were great in "story and gamplay",they showed us the strength of "ps2".
    "gow3" was good and cool,but this,,,,this "illegal son of "gow"" is aweful and poor.
    i am sorry for money i paid for this.
  30. Mar 13, 2013
    It's true, God of War: Ascension takes a long time to pick up pace (in terms of story). Even though the combat is more solid than ever, and the scope in all of its masterful glory is what you've been waiting for, the absence of story compared to that of GOW3 makes the first portion of the game seem a bit slow. However, there have been tweaks made to the combat that ascend Ascension to a new high and the visuals are absolutely stunning. I haven't had a chance to delve into multiplayer fully, so I'll exclude that portion here. If Ascension would have used the first several hours of gameplay to really make the player feel the sorrow and insanity Kratos is facing, I think we could have seen the best entry in the franchise. At the end of the day, if you're a fan of God of War or action games in general, you're not going to find much (if anything) to complain about here. It's brutal, it's beautiful, and most of all, it's a blast. Expand
  31. Mar 14, 2013
    Really good game, Santa Monica wanted to do something different and still people complaint. This no GOW 3 clone this is a new and a fresh take on the series. Combat is more challenging and the level are fun. It has everything a GOW game has, but i think the story was a miss opportunity. It is still a very good game no matter how u slice it or dice it. Big epic set pieces, best graphics this gen. Multiplayer it s fun and fresh take. Worth my hard earn money, to the last penny. Expand
  32. Mar 15, 2013
    This is my first foray in this franchise and it is a big disappointment. Coming from games where there is plenty of fight, eye candy and free of movement, this came feels like a brawler on rails with bugs, frame rate issues, and boring action. The game is just about mashing the controller. Few fights are fun, many are just mashing without having a clue of what is going on.
    The script and
    story fight and fight. A game i might never finish out of boredom. Expand
  33. Mar 14, 2013
    Was looking forward to this so much,I'm completely disappointed in this,the others were so much better!!I'm a huge God of War fan,but this game just seems rushed,the worst of the series!!
  34. Mar 19, 2013
    The plot was not as compelling as previous titles, despite the fact that an obvious attempt to humanize Kratos was clearly made. The graphics are excellent. The standard gruesome, visceral gameplay returns as the driving force behind this story's campaign. However, with an emphasis on abilities trumping that of new or secondary weapons, the game very easily devolves into button-mashing through the campaign with only one weapon, creating a very uniform and lackluster experience. The sheer epic scale of previous God of War titles has been scaled back, and the in-game camera can be unreliable and often times oddly placed, leaving the player helpless and at the mercy of this poor gaming design. The Trial of Archimedes, before the patch, that launched with the game was clearly frustrating and was completely out of tune with the rest of the game's difficulty, format, and style. It broke the flow of the story, and only served as an impediment to reaching the game's conclusion rather than as a challenge to overcome. The multiplayer is a nice addition, but nothing that really stands out. It definitely won't keep large crowds playing the game in the long run. Overall, God of War Ascension was a decent game with a few flaws and a multiplayer addition that doesn't offer anything new to the table because it's a button-mashing and repetitive experience with little to no strategy involved. Expand
  35. Mar 14, 2013
    This is God of war 3.5 It`s obvious they never should have made a multiplayer because i noticed through the whole game how many shortcuts and copy paste job they did in this game.
    The story is really not that interesting and the weapons you get are just the blades of chaos with different elements to them. Combat is frustrating when there is to much happening on the screen.
    But its not a
    bad game really even with all the faults it has, you will still enjoy playing it and it is a must for any god of war fan. It`s just shame they made multiplayer for this as it would be fine without and its obvious the singe player was affected by it.
    I haven't tried multiplayer yet and im not sure if im even going to bother playing it.
    Great game but as a God of war game it`s disappointing..
  36. Mar 13, 2013
    I love GOW. I bought my PS3 way back when just because I knew GOW 3 would be coming out on that platform even though it was released 4 years later. Every GOW game that i have played felt like a GOW game. It felt bad ass. The amazing set pieces, beautiful scenery's and I loved i when boss emerged, it was epic!! Playing GOW Ascension though brought back none of these feelings. At parts the game felt as though i was playing Heavenly sword. It's something to do with the set pieces, the way the camera shifts while facing a boss. It just doesn't feel like a GOW game. As for the combat mechanics all I have to say is why fix something that wasn't broken. If anything the combat system of GOW defines the game. Changing it changes the whole feel of the game and as this is basically the sixth instalment of the game, if you count the PSP versions, the change in the way you have to play this game does not come naturally. Come on if you've been playing a game a certain way for so many years how should you feel when somebody comes along and decides to change it. Personally I am not Happy. I Like change but any change that is implemented on an already well established franchise should feel natural when executed. The culprit to blame? Multiplayer! Sure all of the combat changes made do make the multiplayer work but this is GOW, I DON'T CARE ABOUT MULTIPLAYER!!. Honestly GOW multiplayer is not good enough to last the initial curiosity. I hate that feeling I get that after playing a game...that I have wasted my money. Expand
  37. Mar 14, 2013
    A great addition to the God of War saga, certainly not the best regarding the story since we've have already experienced the most epic parts of Kratos' journey but still pretty compelling and exciting! Also adds a pretty cool multiplayer and of course stunning visuals and great gameplay. A must buy for the fans of the series and a game that other gamers not very fond of the series should definitely check out! Expand
  38. Mar 13, 2013
    4 hours in and I got to say this is the saddest excuse for a GoW game...I'm not even going to finish the SP let alone give the MP mode a chance...If you've played ANY other GoW game (I've played all of them) you'd understand just how disappointing Ascension is...maybe (and hopefully) Santa Monica gets it right the next time around...
  39. Mar 14, 2013
    As a die hard fanboy of this series, it is painful...utterly heart wrenching, to think that a GoW game could be this...bad. Not even average...just bad. Sure the graphics are pretty, and set pieces are still jaw dropping (though nothing like Colossus, Poseidon, or Chronos). But the story line has been completely axed. There is an undertone of story, but Kratos' battle with the Furies happens without context. You are dropped into the middle of the story, hoping you'll assume some of the finer details on your own. Plot hasn't always been a huge driving force for the GoW games, but after Ghost of Sparta, we know that a stellar plot is possible in this universe, so when they miss out on an opportunity, it hurts ever the more. The combat has been broken from previous games. The block/parry system has been completely revamped, and by revamped, I mean to say it is utter garbage. Where a skillful GoW'er would dodge and parry with ease, the requirement of pressing L1+X to parry, and the floaty timing of the maneuuver makes parry cancelling combos basically impossible, and it feels like crap. Hard to believe SSM thought this was a good idea. It isn't, and its awful. The Rage of the Gods meter has been replaced with a straight up Rage meter...and what's that you ask: "So what? Rage modes have always been about last ditch effort, damage bonus boosting anyway!"...Wrong. In GoW:A, if you don't have a full Rage meter, you have exactly 2 combos at your disposal: and ]-Triangle...and occassionally you'll get the ]-Triangle combo, but it is accomplishes nothing more than the other 2. Those looking for those longer 5 6 hit combo strings that could be chained together with a well timed Roll or Parry will be saddened to learn these are only possible when your Rage meter is filled...which is a seldom occurance since the meter itself will empty when Kratos is hit by enemy attacks...which is ALWAYS. Trial Archimedes: you've probably read about it. It is indeed as bad as you've heard, and probably a lot worse. Reviewers seemed to be going easy on this section of the game, but because it presents a knee-jerk change of pace and difficulty, it makes you concentrate more on what degenerative brain disease the developers had while making this game than on the game, plot, and set pieces in the game. It is a text-book example of bad game design. Todd Papy has publically stated that this part of the game was tuned and "balanced" by himself personally, which should plant at least one wish for the future of this series in your subconcious Please don't let Todd Papy anywhere near it.

The Furies: they're pretty cool, but they aren't given their due diligence when it comes to character development. We are introduced to their species as a concept (the Primordials), but we never explore how the compare to say Gods, or Titans. They clearly aren't mortal, as they can be killed without God or Titan weapons/magic. This is something we should see explored in future games, though a change of scenery, away from ancient Greece would be nice. Kratos: Still cool, still a bad ass, still super. A good character through and through, and probably the only saving grace in what is otherwise a terribly delivered plot. He has boxer briefs now, so there's that. Orkos: A character made up for the game, based on Horkus from Greek mythology. A cool back story, again, one that is not expored enough. The surface is scratched, but that simply creates an itch to learn to more. More that just isn't there. Also, why didn't they just call him Horkus? Also, making Orkos a fury is a good way to remind the audience that this isn't traditional Greek mythology, in case it wasn't already clear from Kratos being the half-brother of Hercules. Also, the whole Apollo Helios contradiction is addressed subtly. Bottom line: A game with a lot of good-in-theory elements that are just poorly executed. The well-paced opening of the game on the Hecatonchires is of a scale previously unseen in the GoW franchise (awesome), but the game does not maintain this level of scope for the remainder of the game, and the once fluid combat system the crux of the GoW gameplay formula has been broken down into a freedomless button masher cheapened by poor responsiveness.

I would have given every GoW game preceding this a 10/10 for being perfect in each their own way, and treading new water for the series. So it literally breaks my heart, like losing a cherished family member, to see this game turn its nose up, pretending to be of their ilk. It is not. I blame Todd Papy. Oh yeah: multiplayer sucks balls, avoid it. It is obvious from the SP that the resources and manpower usually used to polish the main game has been diverted into the MP, no matter what Mr Papy tells you.
  40. Mar 13, 2013
    Disappointed. I went in with low expectations knowing that as this was a prequel, there was no way it could live up to the precedent set by the trilogy that came before it. And even then i managed to walk away from the story mode disappointed. The problem with the story is that there is none. You go through like 75% of the game before finding out exactly what purpose the furies serve. You dont even get a good reason for why Kratos wants to kill them. There's no story buildup and because of this, i just couldnt care for the villains. I didn't root for Kratos to topple the furies as i did against Ares in the first game or Zeus in the 3rd one. Not to mention after seeing what happens in 3, the furies just didn't seem like a threat. They felt like a much less intimidating sisters of fate. Outside of the lacking story, some changes were made to the actual gameplay. While some are welcome additions (the item usage) others are not. The new rage bar is annoying. Basically, your more powerful combos and more exciting moves that were always accessible in previous GoW (provided you input the correct buttons) are now only accessible by basically button maching your way to fill up your rage bar. Rage bar isn't full? No combos for you my friend. I hope the rage bar is something they do away with, or at least fix it. In its current state, its broken and turns the game into a button mash fest. The game is absolutely gorgeous. Its amazing how impressive a game can look on 7 year old hardware. And for a game to look this good with non existant load times is even better. Seriously, this is probably the best looking game of this gen. The music is also great. It's your typical god of war goodness. The soundtrack isnt as varied as past games, but its still enjoyable and tends to fit the mood. And lastly, the most important thing... The boss fights. My biggest issue with the game is actually the boss fights. While all fun, they lack that god of war feel. I guess it's not fair to compare it to the boss fights in GoW 3, but seriously, they dont even compare to early GoWs. Not a single boss in the game feels threatening, and thats because there is 0 development with any of these villains. If the game would have actually developed the plot instead of taking us from set piece to set piece some of these fights could have been truly memorable. At least the first fight against the furies is cool. Probably the best fight in the game due to the fact that you are fighting 3 things at once. Multiplayer is fun. It's a lot better than you'd expect from a game that never had multiplayer prior. The combat system works and the god allegiance thing is cool. FFA is the best mode by far though. Even with all the missteps, i still found the game to be fun. It definitely is God of War, but it's not what many of us were hoping for. Hopefully the good people at Santa Monica can give us a truly remarkable experience with the next game. If you liked previous entries in the series, you'll like this game but likely will be a bit disappointed as i was. If you've never played a god of war game before, i'm sure you'll find this game to be above and beyond what you expected. Expand
  41. Mar 26, 2013
    Frustrating would be the word to best describe GoWA. Kratos should have remained in infamy by walking off into the black at the end of GoW3. Some things need to die just for the sake of dying. Others have said it much better (and far kinder) than I could even try. The only thing I will retain as I walk away from this game is carpal tunnel syndrome from the stupid and relentless button mashing required to kill something.

I don't envision finishing the game.
  42. May 26, 2013
    can't change the difficulty, this really sucks to much to continue the game when you are stuck somewhere. now im no more interrested to complete the game.
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    A completely unnecessary difficulty spike in the last stage of the game makes this game total sh!t. It was mediocre before, and got unplayable by the final level. Boring combat, uninteresting story, overall not a good game like previous GOW titles.
  44. Mar 13, 2013
    In short, if you are a God of War fan or an action fan, you will love the hell out of this game. Graphics Amazingly Beautiful. Game play- The same old hack/slash but with more intuitive controls and control during quick time event sequences. BRUTALLITY!!! I mean really brutal. Story A more understanding story like God of War 1 and Ghost of Sparta. It's not like we haven't seen a humanoid Kratos but it gives us more a understanding to his motivations why he just hates gods overall. Pacing is an issue though with some difficulty spikes that will agitate the hell out of you. I'd say if they didn't spread the health chest around then this would have been the hardest God of War game I played and I played 3 on Titan Mode. No Multiplayer Part I'm not regreting my 60 bucks. Expand
  45. Mar 17, 2013
    This is the most disappointed sequel in the whole series of "God of War" that I have played. In short terms, I can list some points to explain why the "God of War: Ascension" can't not reach the level of what a "God of War" series should have.

1. The bad camera: In some battle scene, you can see the camera is zooming out farther and farther from the position of Kratos; I think the
    designer want use this zoom-out trick to show how great and magnificent the landscape is, but in a red-hot fighting with lots of powerful monsters who want kill you immediately, who care the landscape? In this situation, our hero Kratos was mixed into lots of monsters, like an ant fight to ants, you always don't know which monster is the murderer who kill you, because all of them looks mixed together (with unrecognized HERO).

2. Failure checkpoint: After countless trial and errors, you almost complete a serial hard-fighting, at the last wave, an unexpected attack kills you. Congratulations! you must fight from the very first wave of these serial-fighting, WITHOUT the red orbs you got in the last battle!

3. Block is not immediately active and Invincible time of dodge is too short: Two terrible failures in a action game, there is no need to explain why...

4. Failure weapon system: there are four elements of weapon can choose Fire, Ice, Lighting and Soul; actually, you can hard to say the difference of these elements, their biggest difference is that the COLOR, not the special effects. The only remarkable advantage is the online multiplayer mode, this is really a Innovative game play that can save the single player mode. According to these reasons, "God of War: Ascension" can get 6 score.
  46. Mar 14, 2013
    Santa Monica Studios did a wonderful job on this game, and it's only mistake is that it has to be compared to all the other masterpieces that are God Of War games. Not to mention that it is a prequel, which automatically gives some people a reason to whine that it's bad, with absolutely no coverage to such a statement. Making a prequel is always challenging, and definitely not easy, yet still the guys pulled it off just like I hoped they would. As for the multiplayer, it's just amazing. I can't believe how many people are saying that it's unoriginal... wake up, you aren't going to find a similar experience to this one anywhere else! It's original, fun, brutal, fluid, the story is great as always, and most of all, it is a true balm for the eyes. It pains me to see people giving this game less than a nine. Cheers. Expand
  47. Mar 16, 2013
    Let me just start out by saying that I'm a huge god of war fan. Even waited in line for the midnight relase of this game. So one would imagine my shock when I played this game and realized what a huge dissapointment it was. The biggest issue was the story or should I say lack of. There's no real clear story and the little bit that is is confsuing and uninteresting. The game jumps bck and forth between present and past even though present isn't really present). Another problem is that the game is way to short. I've loved these games because of the challenge, story, and length. However I beat this game in 7 hrs which is short for god of war and there were no real challenging parts. I was killed once in the entire game. Even the boss fights are lackluster, especially the final one. I still gave this game a 6 though because it is still god of war and the visual effects are stunning and the actual gameplay itself with the fighting isn't bad. All I'm saying is that there is nothing that this game told me that added to the story at all. Game didn't need to be made and for that this is a huge dissapointment for me. Expand
  48. Mar 16, 2013
    You get the feeling right from the start that this game was pumped out by their 'B' team, while the heavy hitters are working on a new title for the PS4. The controls seem to take a step back, with the new parry system being counter-intuitive, and general lack of ways to keep mobs at arm's length. As others have mentioned, pacing is 'off' at best. You start off with no real development, or any reason to go forward, other than the game's linearity pushes you there. It takes several hours of marching forward for no clear reason before you're given any real plot to attempt to motivate you.

There are very, very few monsters compared to previous titles in the series, and outside a handful of world weapons you can pick up, you only have one weapon. That's right, your blades are all you have. No upgrading an amazing sword or bow with unique move sets. I hope you really, really enjoy your blades. The puzzles can just be frustrating, and often the QTE battles and puzzles jump between giving you prompts on what buttons to press, and not telling you what you need to do next, which can end up with you re-doing a battle/scene a few times to sort out exactly what the system wanted. Again, not something I mind, if it's going to plop you back at the start of the scene, but instead these are often insta-kill, which means time spent at loading screens, which is just bad design.

And last but not least, with your lack of variety in weapons, and shoddy defensive skills, you will eventually be shoehorned into a 'trials' area that you have to pass to continue, which pit you against 3 massive waves of mobs, with no means to heal in between. This would be a fun challenge if you had a variety of weapons, or a good skill set to manage the encounter. Instead, the encounter has been deemed bad enough that Santa Monica is patching in a change to 'fix' it. As I doubt they'll be patching in new weapons or skills, this will just be dumbing down the encounter, which to me means that their QA team wasn't on the ball either.

I've also run across one system crash and one skill related glitch, which are things I find unacceptable in console games. Be warned if you're a fan of the previous titles, and you've taken off your rose tinted glasses, you may be in for a huge disappointment with this one.
  49. Mar 14, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is not a filler, but a good chapter that every fan of the series to play. Kratos is brought to relive events that do not yet know each other and the team at Santa Monica Studio been able to offer a gameplay fresh and renewed. The visual quality excels at any time without leaving a trace in any snagging. From the technical point of view, the title is definitely the killer app for the Playstation 3, so that PS4 can wait. Only a narrative epic and less carefully than the rest of the production and the duration shorter than the main chapters, do not allow them to reach a very high longevity, however worthily filled by a brand new multiplayer mode that captivates from the first minute, varied and well-matched Ultimately, this prequel is a "must buy" for every owner of PS3, even more so if fans of the series. Kratos is back to lay down the law!
  50. Mar 12, 2013
    Krato's is back in full form, some say not as angry but he has thirst for blood is still unquenchable. Santa Monica has delivered another eye pleasing, adrenaline pumping adventure with the character many have come to know as the misunderstood God of War. Join Kratos as we go back in time to when it all began.

This is another masterpiece and a must have
  51. Mar 18, 2013
    Here's yet another game for this generation that seems to have been made only as a cash-grab. The game is still God of War, and by now you know whether or not you like the series and if this is your type of game. I've been a fan of the 3 proper installments of the franchise (GoW 1,2 and 3), but never cared much for the side story/prequel games that were the PSP titles. Ascension to me feels exactly like the PSP titles, stripped of all the bells and whistles of it's console brethren, only on a big system instead of a portable. Which is a shame, because the game looks great, and plays great, but the story is extremely weak (in fact, I never really knew what I was doing other than just out to kill stuff), the game has a major weapon and equipment setback (only the Blades of Fury, and now you no longer have Pegasus Wings or the Golden Fleece, or anything cool for that matter), and the biggest problem is the game just lacks that "epic" feel of the previous games. There are no Greek Gods to kill this time around, which is a letdown, and the bosses are all pretty hum-drum. Multiplayer is pretty ho-hum a well, and probably won't really keep you entertained for more than an hour before it will have run it's course. It's clearly an experiment, and lets just hope it stays on the cutting room floor for God of War 4. Save your money and either rent this game, or wait for a nice price drop! Expand
  52. Mar 13, 2013
    I play most of the time with my 360, but when EPIC games like are released, I can not resist to playe them, and that is why I have played every God of War game yet, and the main reason I bought a PS3.

The only thing I can say is that this game is AMAZING!!!! way better than GOW3 in every aspect. I love this game so much, that I just cant stop playing. Well, I am writing a review right
    now, because I though it was very unfair that this game is not getting the score it deserves, so I want people to know that this game is freaking awesome, and the best action game I have ever played.

The combat is addicting, the soundtrack is incredible, and the graphics, oh boy those graphics!!!! Halo 4 looks amazing on the 360, but man this game is the best looking games on consoles I have ever seen!!!! It is quite orgasmic really.

The story is really good. And the multiplayer is really fun.

Every God of War fan must buy this and support the amazing team at SSM for creating such a majestic masterpiece!!!!
  53. Mar 23, 2013
    The problem whit God of War is that it's always the same game copypasted over and over, and now it's really flame, too much easy and the gameplay doesn't change from the other titles...
  54. Mar 15, 2013
    Comprehensive review of the single player (haven't even tried multiplayer yet and single player is why I play this series) from an oldschool gamer (for those who care to read a review that's probably way too long lol)

Been in love with this series since the first game. I've been gaming since the early 90's, and mostly I prefer old school games. But something about the GOW series really
    stands out to me- the combination of outrageous graphics, epic soundtrack and bosses, the combat, story, etc. Playing these games on hard or titan difficulty results in a huge adrenaline rush, after going through the same fight 15 times, only to finally win with just a sliver of life remaining. The combat and controls are always so tight that when you die, you really feel like it's your own fault and not the game's cheapness. Despite some of the reviews floating around, for me this game is no different in that regard. The changes in combat do make the game feel a bit different than previous ones, but after playing through 6 god of war games multiple times, I welcome some variety. If it had been identical to previous ones, I can GUARANTEE that people would rip it apart for being too similar. At least they tried something a little different, in terms of the parry system and move list. This is a prequel, so Kratos should be weaker than in GoW 3. This is well represented by the game being slightly more challenging, and by throwing more enemies at you. The claims that it is cheap in its difficulty are exaggerated though; I never have to do a fight more than a few times to continue.

GRAPHICS- the best the series has seen. Amazing setpieces, lighting, animations, depth of field effects, motion blur. Probably the best looking console game I've EVER seen.
    AUDIO- epic soundtrack as always. Noticed a few audio glitches, but I heard they will be patched, and it's nothing too serious, unless you're a whiny who likes to complain about every minor detail.
    GAMEPLAY- some of the finest, most intense combat the series has seen. I do prefer the old parry system, but I appreciate that they tried to change it up, to translate Kratos' early period/relative weakness into a gameplay mechanic. I also think this game has by far the most interesting puzzles in the entire series.
    STORY- here is where the game takes a bit of a hit compared to previous games. Definitely the weakest in the entire series in terms of story. I mean, GoW 3 has you killing the king of the gods, as well as his entire crew...how can you possibly come close to matching that. The first 5-6 hours has a story that is paper thin, and had me trying to remember what was the plot and why was I fighting? But the fact is this is already the third prequel they have made for this series, and therefore a lot of backstory has already been explored. It's not that the story is bad, more like nonexistent. Eventually things do pick up in terms of plot progression, but really the first half of the game felt like pure GoW minus any plot. Definitely feels a bit weird. Ultimately though, the gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, and overall epicness of the setpieces, and brutality of the action add up to make an excellent game. Even IF this is the worst in the series in terms of story, it still DESTROYS most other games out there, and as a prequel I think it is still a very entertaining and well made game. No other game gets me to actually scream and bug out as I play, from the excitement it generates. This game is no different. The biggest downside besides the lack of a truly compelling story, is the fact that now I have to wait 3 or more years to play GoW 4 on the ps4. I really don't want to wait that long. Oh well, the multiplayer should hopefully keep me busy until then
  55. Mar 18, 2013
    One of the stupidest comments I've ever heard this generation is people complaining that this is too much of the same God of War. The has only been ONE console GoW realease this ENTIRE GENERATION! If it was released ever christmas like other franchises and it was always the same then of course it would be annoying. But who cares if it's similiar to it's ONE console sequel this generation. Not only that, but to make their comments even more stupid... it's NOT the same! There are numerous gameplay differences. Not to mention GoW3 is one of the best games ever. And this game lives up to that game. C'mon gamers, use your brains. Expand
  56. Mar 23, 2013
    Although this may seem abstract, God of War Ascension seems more like a 3rd part expansion pack than a full retail game. There are countless character re-skins of recycled enemies, situations and events leaving you with a sense of deja vu. The new throw mechanic would be a fresh installment if it wasnt so under-defined and so long as you are throwing an enemy you are invincible. The gameplay itself is there! its just lacking compared to previous installments. To clarify in my honest opinion, God of War 1-3 are Half Life and God of War Ascension is Blue Shift. Expand
  57. Mar 20, 2013
    I have to be honest. I was disappointed with this game. I am a huge GoW fan I have played them all (even the obscure PSP ones and both the original and HD revamps of the PS2 classics), so I can honestly say that I know what I am talking about. Does this mean Ascension is bad? No, absolutely no. It is a good game, but nothing more than that. It misses the sparkle, the wow-factor that is a trademark of this franchise. The graphics are amazing, as usual, the sound effects, the gameplay, the agressive hero we all love, all the elements are there, like following a formula. But the game, as a whole, is very mundane, very uninspired. First of all it's very, VERY short (it took me only 6 hours to beat it) and has the weakest plot in the series, to a way that, for the first time, I didn't bother to worry I just wanted to get through with it. The enemies are repetitive and even the scenarios look similar. I don't want to use this word but, I am sorry, there it is: Ascension is [kind of] boring. It looks like a B-project, as if the main team was focusing on something else (GoW 4 for the PS4 anyone?) and left this one a side thing for a smaller developer most certainly using materials that were not originally used in GoW 3. And I am not going to talk about the Multiplayer because, honestly, I couldn't care less. I am not a MP player and GoW does not need to have this option. This is a good game and deserves to be played especially by its fans just don't get your hopes high, though. Expand
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Lost count of how many times I've seen this. A developer makes an amazing game that many people buy and reviewers all agree is great. Then after a few iterations the devs decide that the game needs a multiplayer mode or the core gameplay needs a shakeup. I realise some people like this game but for me it's unplayable. I love God of War 1, 2, 3, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. Ascension is
  59. Mar 20, 2013
    não vejo graça nesse game, ele tá morto e a sony não vê!
    caralho, vamos lá, queremos novos ips, sony fala tanto de jogos exclusivos
    Esse kratos já está morto!
  60. Mar 16, 2013
    Look, the game isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I thought it was going to be average since it seemd they were focusing on MP this time, but boy was I wrong, this game's singleplayer is amazing, not perfect like my score indicated but I only gave it a 10 because so many butthurt trolls are giving it 0s.
  61. Mar 26, 2013
    Wow! finally another God of War game which is my favorite video game saga ever! This game is great, especially if you like any of the God of War games. The graphics are beautiful, the sound is ok but cuts out at times in some places. The story is pretty good but not the best in the series and not as many boss battles as i would have liked. The bosses you do encounter are pretty sweet and the brutality is there and better than ever! Multiplayer is pretty fun and i like it alot better than i thought. The reason this game is not a solid 10 from me is because of a few glitches that are annoying throughout the game, hopefully a simple patch will fix them. Great game!! Highly recommend! Expand
  62. Mar 13, 2013
    The enviorments are awesome; the challenges can be tough but not frustrating; the story is a bit weak since it is a prequel made to justify what has yet to come in the GOW franchise: but it is worth your time and your money since the game is great fun. You can tell that the PS3 console has been pushed to the its limits to deliver the graphics/gameplay.. If nothing else, you shuold play this game as a final full gaming experience that is the advent to the PS4. I only played the single player experience. Wonderful!! Expand
  63. Mar 27, 2013
    Brutal. I loved every single minute of it. The graphics were a vast improvement from the last installment; God of War 3. Not only the graphics but the sheer brutality that God of War fans are so use to. Some people FAIL to realize that this wasn't a continuation of God of War 3, or any of the God of War games for that matter. This was a prequel. And like all prequels, it takes some getting use to. The only problems I had with the game is that at some parts the game just felt a little too slow. The other problem I had was the story consistently going back and forth between "Present Day" and 3 or 2 weeks earlier and a majority of the game just felt like filler and once you returned to "Present Day" you realized the game basically took place in 1 day the back and forth was too much to keep up with it felt like. But, other than the minor problems, this game is my early favorite for Game of the Year 2013. I highly recommend it for God of War fans on the fence. Expand
  64. Mar 16, 2013
    Pretty much the same game as the previous GOWs, with the addition of the multiplayer and some little details here and there. The campaign is very good (epic, fun and with sweet graphics) and the multiplayer, even being a bit confusing in the start, it's fun. However, the game has some negative points. First, the story of this game is lame. Simply because it isn't powerful or engaging, at least not anymore. The whole plot of the series already reached the high climax in GOW 3. When i played GOW Ascension i enjoyed the plot but i didn't get excited with it in the same way i did with GOW 1,2 and 3. Second, the great things of the GOW series, in this game, aren't impressive like they used to be. The barbarian soundtrack, sweet combat system, QTEs, level design, all that feels like "commonplace" at this point of the saga. Overall, a good game but it's disappointing for me to realize that i'm playing, essencially, the same game i played in 2007. Expand
  65. Mar 16, 2013
    Everyone compares this to GOW3 when it should be reviewed on its own since it's a PREQUEL.The game delivers what it must deliver:incredible graphics,better combat,over-the-top action and a fun multiplayer. Seriously,stop hating on this game,it may not be the best GOW, but as a a prequel, it gets its job done.
  66. Mar 13, 2013
    I liked the campaign even though it does lack the epic and numerous boss fights seen in God of War 3. IT NEEDS MORE BOSSES! I saw some critic reviews saying the multiplayer was tacked on or just solid. When I played it for the first time it was a great breath of fresh air from regular multiplayer with guns. I will be playing the multiplayer long after I finish the game because it is pretty fun and has 4 interesting modes. Overall it is one of the best god of war games I think the only game that beats this is god of war 3. Expand
  67. Mar 14, 2013
    The moment I decided to pick up this game, I presumed it would deliver just what I needed. And it did indeed. A next gen hybrid. The sheer epic scale at which the single player campaign rolls out throughout is simply baffling on many levels. The biggest credit goes to character modeling and lighting rev ups it received as an upgrade over its predecessor GOW 3, the epic masterpiece already it is in a league of its own. To top that is an amazing feat and is laudable by all means. I would urge every gamer not to go by the indifferent reviews put forth against the series's repetitive iteration issue. The multiplayer addition is the such a fine thing to have graced a series that's been devoid of it. Expand
  68. Mar 28, 2013
    The most common complaint about this game I've heard is, "Not epic enough!". What the heck is that supposed to mean? How much "epic" do you need??? This game is truly great and has "epic" in spades. While some may have enjoyed the story of GOW3 more, this game improves on GOW3 in so many ways. The graphics are greatly improved over GW3, something I would have hardly thought possible. The combat is more refined and challenging. I also feel that the platforming elements are improved. The multiplayer is really well executed. It really is refreshing and unique. Gameplay trumps story in my book. After all, how much more can be said about Kratos after 6 games? Many people are complaining about the difficulty level of certain bosses etc... I had to replay certain parts of the game several times to proceed, but I never got bored in the process. Also many people are ready to dismiss multiplayer without giving it a chance. One thing you have to realize is there is a fairly decent learning curve on multiplayer in this game. I played for about a week before I learned the ropes and started to win matches. Be sure to give multiplayer a chance and don't give up in frustration before you get the hang of things. I have really been enjoying the four player free for all.

More boss battle would have been nice, but we have dlc to look forward to with new levels etc... Overall I really appreciate the new things in the game that keep it fresh. This is the best action game on the market right now. The graphics and gameplay are amazing. Multiplayer is amazing. You can't go wrong with this title period.
  69. Jun 10, 2013
    Wow! finalmente outro jogo God of War, que a minha saga favorita de jogos de vídeo de sempre! Este jogo grande, especialmente se você gosta de qualquer um dos God of W jogos ar. Os gráficos são lindos, o som ok, mas corta às vezes em alguns lugares. A história muito boa, mas não o melhor da série e não como muitas batalhas, como eu teria gostado. Os chefes que você encontrar são muito doce e brutalidade está lá e melhor do que nunca! Multiplayer muito divertido e eu gosto muito melhor do que eu pensava. A razão pela qual este jogo não um sólido 10 de mim por causa de algumas falhas que são irritantes durante todo o jogo, espero um patch simples irá corrigi-los. Grande jogo! Recomendo! Expand
  70. Mar 15, 2013
    Got game on launch day, and I am loving it. The combat is fluid and much more refined than in the previous entries, the elemental magic implementation in the blade attacks, as well as the rage meter and the secondary weapons really freshen up what I felt was a tiresome and repetitive combat system. Platforming is also vastly improved, there is a level in the game at the top of a mountain with some of the best platforming sections I have played in a long time. Puzzles are also abundant and imho represent the highlight of the series in this aspect. Boss battles are limited but epic nonetheless. Level design is top notch, the top of the mountain one, is arguably the best I have seen in a GOW game. GOWA is a COMPLETELY different game than GOW3, it is hands down the entry with the most variety, while remaining true to the series roots. The problem with many of the reviews I read is that they read too much like a GOWA- GOW3 comparison, rather than a review of the game itself. Expand
  71. Mar 17, 2013
    Game's great, you guys giving it a 0 are stupid. It has the scale of 2, graphics of 3, and epic battles. I'm gonna give it a 10 just to balance this score back out.
  72. Mar 14, 2013
    Avaliar um jogo como God of War Ascension complicado, pois sempre vai haver comparações com God of War 3 e eu acho um pouco injusto as notas que o jogo está recebendo de alguns sites, pois eu acho que ele deveria ser avaliado como um jogo separado e não por comparação. O jogo espetacular, intenso e extremamente violento. Se você está na dúvida se compra esse jogo ou não, vai por mim, God of War Ascension pode não ser o melhor da série, mais tirando seus antecessores, de longe o melhor hack'n slash da geração. Abraço e fiquem com Deus! Expand
  73. Mar 28, 2013
    The new block parry move is totally and that is all I can really say about this game. the PSP games were better than this. Its just so fricking boring.
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    With this game the story of God of War just got bigger and some things where explained. In therms of story this game made well but the thing i disliked was the camera that trolls you in some moments and you can barely see Kratos and the enemies, but apart of that the music and the graphics look very good and the gameplay is ok in comparision with God of War 3 that sometimes get annoying. I played a while the multiplayer and i enjoyed it. I would give it a 8 but with the multiplayer i give it a 9. Expand
  75. Mar 19, 2013
    Just finished the main campaign and i loved it! The graphics are probably the best ive seen on ps3, its insane. Im not forgetting snake riding any time soon. Battles are very dynamic and brutal, with some new mechanics like grappling or wall bouncing, its incredibly satisfying. The game is quite challenging at some points, in fact its so hard that there is a patch coming out that lowers the difficulty of Archimedes Trials, because many people cant pass it. GoW Ascension brought me lots of pleasure, im still yet to try the multiplayer, but little does it matter, im already completely amazed. Expand
  76. Mar 20, 2013
    Overall a good game. However it is much of the same, with little new content to be excited about. Graphics are superb, but gameplay is nothing revolutionary. Story is probably the weakest out of the three, failing to live up to the hype surrounding pre-game release. As for the furies, they do not make for the most memorable bosses. To be played if you enjoyed the other GOWs, but remember that this game sticks to the same principles, without radically changing anything. Expand
  77. Jun 16, 2013
    i can't understand why people hated this game this game is fantastic a real god of war game kratos character is back and with more RAGE and the story is really good i loved this game and am a god of war fan i really recommend this game
  78. Jun 27, 2013
    While not as great as previous GOW installations, this game is still must-play for fans of Kratos. The atmosphere, scale and boss battles are what make Ascension so impressive. Plus, there's still plenty of grueling death and violence doled out by Kratos' blades to go around.
  79. Mar 23, 2013
    Problem is: God Of War III is far more epic. Normally, each instance of games in the God Of War-Series is more epic, bigger and thrilling than the game before.

God Of War: Ascension doesn't have "the punch" you might expect. The setpieces aren't artistically attractive (in comparison to God Of War III), elements like super-scaled snakes don't feel ancient nor greek and there are moments
    where this game seems more like Uncharted, due to some musical tones the developers used in various fights.

This game somehow misses the whole God Of War-Spirit, unfortunately.
  80. Mar 16, 2013
    my question is that we all know taht god of war is a very good game but why is there sex in it why just they dont make a good game without sex .this game has destroyed the minds of new generations and children who are engaing in such activities.so this means that god of war have such destroying effect on life
  81. Mar 16, 2013
    for me god of war ascension is the best game of the series and i really don't understand why critics don't love it, it has amazing graphics,awesome and satisfying combat,great puzzles and an interesting story,what more can you ask?
  82. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome!! i've always loved the God of War series and this game did not dissapoint! The story is very interesting and we get to see a side of Kratos that we've never seen before. The only slight dissapointment is that the antagonist in this game doesn't really stand up to all the gods from GOW3. So along with the amazing single player there is a unique, awesome and addicting multiplayer that will keep me playing this one for a while!! Expand
  83. Mar 26, 2013
    Ascension is a fantastic example of doing a prequel right. Sure, it's story isn't as meaty as the other games in the series, and yes the gameplay remains largely the same, But is still another must have for a GoW fan, its tweaks and changes to the familiar formula is a welcome and quite frankly welcome change. Changes to the climbing and platforming sections have also made the experience more enjoyable and has made me actually look forward to these events as opposed to dreading them when i got to them in the past. The series trademark of over the top and frankly, epic action is most definitely in tact. I for one would say this game has my absolute favorite section of any of the games in the series. No spoilers from me, but it left me in absolute awe at how perfect the whole segment was executed. By itself i would give the single player content a high score, but this entry in the series supports some extremely (and unexpectedly) fun multiplayer. With FFA (free for all), co-operative, 2v2 and 4v4 modes there is plenty of content. It even allows a single player to try these modes out alone, but they shine far brighter in co-op then alone. Personally, the FFA brawls were the most fun I had, it is fast paced, energetic and more tactical than expected. All in all the whole package for Ascension is fantastic, not quite as good in the single player department as GoWIII, but the multiplayer to me, makes the game just as impressive as its highly regarded predecessor. Expand
  84. Mar 23, 2013
    For anyone new to the series, this is pretty awesome. For everyone else who've played the other games or even all of the other ones, it'll feel pretty familiar (almost too familiar). I'll give the devs props for making the combat a bit better and adding multiplayer, which does actually play alot better than most would expect. Too many reviewers bash this game's story and gameplay but it wouldn't be GoW without the button mashing or even references to Greek Mythology! This is a great game and addition to your library in my honest opinion Expand
  85. Apr 5, 2013
    Some of these people may say "Oh, the camera came into odd angles and it made the game even worse with it's "HORRIBLE STORY"." well let me tell you something, this game was made to be before he was a god, if you read the poster at the bottom it says "Before he was a god, He was a man." and a few fights after the game begins, it says it was weeks earlier...How can you tell a difference between kratos when he was a god and being a human now? He looks the same...always will be. His family died before Ascension so therefor he was already covered in their ashes when the game started. ANyways, here's my opinion on the game. It was a great game, it followed the story perfectly to me...I don't care what others say. GOW3 was weaker than this, they only say that because you killed all the gods in GOW3 and had some of the most epic fights in it. GOW:Ascension was better. The controls are the same old GOW controls as always, gore is better, more monsters and more puzzles. Harder bosses is what I like also. Good Job creators. 10-10 Expand
  86. Mar 25, 2013
    I wanted to do a review of the God of War Ascension because people are saying things that doesn't make sense. God of War Ascension is a God of War game. It feels like a God of War game. There are a few tweaks like the rage meter and it is a good thing. It makes a bit less button mashing game and wants you to dodge more and be less careless about the incoming attacks. Overall the game is epic. Don't listen to those fools who do not appreciate new tweaks. Otherwise it would be the same game after all and everybody will be bored after playing it. Story is good. Don't worry no spoilers. Kratos is the same. He owns nothing and offers nothing :D. And i am not talking about multiplayer! It is hell of a fun. If you love God of War series you should play it. It is worth 60 bucks. If you are still not convinced than go and try out the God of War Ascension Demo. Expand
  87. Mar 25, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this and feel a little let down. The game is still fun, with great combat and nifty combos. Some of the puzzles seem like they hold your hand and tell you everything while others are very vague in what the solution could be. All in all this is a fun and solid game, we've just seen this all before in previous God of War games.
  88. Apr 2, 2013
    God of War is a true classic game again Graphics exquisite, the story is gripping and long ..Kratos may be negative for some, but this time the story is not so wild reflects very well.In addition, new multiplayer modes, which was a very pleasant.
    Ascension can not get full marks from me, but God of War manages to establish the throne of my heart again.
  89. Mar 26, 2013
    God of War: Ascension is an amazing game that you must buy if you own a Playstation 3. Amazing graphics, sound, gameplay, story and the multiplayer it truly excellent! This is the best hack 'n slash game since God of War III.
  90. Mar 27, 2013
    Funny how COD is the same copy and paste multiplayer joke with just a slightly different name but always end up getting good scores. But when another game becomes slightly repetitive, everyone flames it and gives it low scores. If you're a true GoW fan, you will enjoy this game very much and ignore these BS reviews. It is very well crafted and although it's not a 10/10, it definitely deserves a score of above 8.5. Expand
  91. Apr 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. god of war Ascension is the coolest game ever seems to be don't have big difference from the god of war 3 and the battle strategy but actually are significant differences game is very sensible and no end is an amazing game no less dynamic battle in the final same time as meaningful Expand
  92. May 11, 2013
    And here we are again
    god of war Ascension
    this game is good but gets boring quickly
    no-one can relate to the main character by any stretch of the imagination
    the newest game in the GOW series is just another mindless hack and slash game
    i would rate this game much lower if the innovative online mode wasn't here
  93. Jun 4, 2013
    Enquanto Ascensão divertido, mas não está nem perto de GOW3. A história de combate mais fraco e menos satisfatória. No modo rígido, os inimigos são muito tornando-se, por vezes, uma tarefa para limpar todas as desovas.
  94. Jun 8, 2013
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    Really enjoyable game.
    This is my first bash at a god of war game and I like it. The combat is fast paced and brutal and you're always aspiring to get Kratos combo meter up to unleash better attacks. Though I've not yet completed the game, I have put several hours in to it and i'm still hungry for more. It looks nice, some boss battles are of epic proportion and though it's on rails, is
    thoroughly enjoyable. This game has made me get Ghost of Sparta to play on my Vita and I will be getting 1,2 & 3 to play as well.
    I missed these gems but won't let them slip by again.
    Ascension is excellent. get it.
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    First I'd like to say I usually love the God of War series, but this game isn't really in competition with the main three entries in the series. I loved it for the first twenty minutes and I found it to be a beautiful game (with the exception of a few lower quality textures) but the gameplay felt a lot more repetitive than previous games with nearly nothing new to offer, but with that being said I enjoyed it as a spin-off.

97. Apr 17, 2013
    You know when you're trying to add another game in a video game saga that's amazing as phuck, it's hard to outdo yourself. It's a solid game. The story is nowhere near as interesting but with all that, it's a good game. A game that's worthy to buy when it's 20 bucks.
  98. Apr 11, 2013
    I was against this release as i was tired of GOW i loved all of them but had enuff i platinumed all of them on ps3. So this was a no purchase so a friend bought it and said it was really good so i borrowed it and credit were credit is due its really good. an 8.5 from me. Why i rate it so highly number one Kratos is as brutal as ever this game is the most violent yet (not that i am a sheer fan of brutality per SE but when its done right and its kratos then its perfect. The graphics are extremely good i have seen better but definitely nothing to complain about. It looses marks story wise its no where near GOW 3's epic story telling. I must note that enemy design is best in series. I am sorry santa monica i owe u a purchase. You rekindled my love for GOW and if you are ever to release it on ps4 i ll buy!! Expand
  99. Mar 21, 2013
    8.5 out of 10. God of War is my favorite gaming franchise and I expect the best from Sony Santa Monica. Ascension is a gorgeous game that retains the great combat the series is known for and plenty of mythological creatures are present for disemboweling. While the game is not as high on spectacle as III (honestly, how could it be?) the single player campaign is holds its own in comparison to the previous titles. The story is just as mediocre as earlier games, but its odd pacing in the beginning is a hindrance and hurts the experience. It is also a shorter length, more or less the same as III depending on difficulty and skill level. The multiplayer is a blast and all alignments seem to be pretty balanced, however, the new parry system that works well online serves to hamper single player defense. All in all, it's definitely a worthy title and I look forward to what's in store for the franchise next gen. One can only hope for a new mythology and a new protagonist to tear it down. Expand
  100. Mar 24, 2013
    This game is absolutely great! The graphics are unbelievably pretty, the gameplay is smoother and better than ever, the sound is beautiful and the story is great. The new multiplayer component is absolutely brilliant! I haven't had so much fun multiplayer/co-op is years! This is a great game for any fans of the series or genre. God of War: Ascension is a must buy!
  101. Mar 17, 2013
    Good points: -Great combat options -Amazing graphics -Best boss fights ever -Epic intro and ending -Great grabbing options -Medium-high enemies difficulty -Great multiplayer -Interaction with scenery weapons -Best soundtrack ever Bad points: -No secondary weapons (seriously!? where the hell are our secondary weapons!?) -Weakest story of the saga -Repetitive -"Why am I doing this?" moments
    -No challenge puzzles
    -No sex time
    -Many DLCs coming

1. Jun 16, 2013
    God of War: Ascension does exactly what you would expect from a God of War title.The sheer amount of violence and tension is simply breathtaking, especially when taking place right on top of a giant creature. The entire experience is accompanied by stunning graphics and an impressive soundtrack. While the multiplayer is somewhat disappointing, it is apparent that Kratos is still this generation's most fearsome warrior.
  2. May 7, 2013
    You can point out that Ascension failed to make a real step forward. You can argue that the multiplayer mode is a foreign body, a strained attempt to find innovation in the wrong place. That’s true, but in my eyes the foundation built by the previous God of War games proved to be strong enough to sustain what I hope is just the calm before the storm that Kratos will unleash on PS4. And damn, Ascension looks unbelievable! [CD-Action 05/2013, p.64]
  3. Ascension shows a warrior who is miles away from being the ultimate and flawless killing machine we all know and love. He is more like an unguided projectile here, trying to cope with all the injustice delivered unto him. [April 2013, p.62]