• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 16, 2010
8.7

1. Jul 23, 2012
    This review is written by somebody that has played GOW 1 and 2 and I'm being 100 truthful in this review.
    This game is dated, it's everything we hate in game today, button mashing, quick time events and lots of just stupid mini puzzles and confusing level design + fixed camera.
    Yes it is epic at times, but in the end you'll just spend most of the game mad at all the problems, and most
    epic moment you wont even be able to enjoy because they are quick time events, so you'll just be looking at the little markers on the extremes of the screen.
    I wish I'd never bought it, I only got it to see how it ended.
    For me this was a true Greek tragedy. 4/10
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    Everyone loves God of War III. Everyone but me. Sure, the game looks beautiful and has a fairly interesting tale to tell, so I can partially understand why people rave about it. Unfortunately, the simplistic button mashing gameplay, ultra-linear environments and truly awful jumping mechanics are harder to lend praise to. God of War III was a game that I just couldn't muster much passion for and ultimately had no fun with. Despite an entire decade separating the two titles, I would still much rather play the original Soul Reaver than God of War III. Expand
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    Perhaps one of the most over-priced games. Let's start with the pros: Excellent graphics; Excellent management. It is a pity, because this end pros and cons of starting: The game is incredibly dull and boring; No action, all the action is very slow (it slashers!) The story is idiotic, like her characters, trying to understand someone's motives and seek logic useless. Fixed camera is just a shame; Quick Time Events is only hatred, in heavy rain, and it's done to the place and a lot to think over. Game from Santa Monica for kids who like violence in games, because the game has nothing more to offer.
    Prior to DmC, Bayonetta, Blades of Time and others, it has still a long way, it is unlikely Santa Monica ever be able to make a quality slashers.
  4. Jan 31, 2014
    Before I start I have to say that God of War and God of War 2 were and probably still are action games of their time. They had just the right mix of simplistic action thrown into a great setting. If God of War 3 would have came out in PS2 days instead of 2010 while I probably would be more likely to overlook glaring issues that are present in this game. The first and foremost of them is that apart from graphics the game has not evolved from previous titles and even may have been simplified further in GoW3. The combat itself feel very unresponsive when comparing it with other hack and slash games even not of AAA category like Conan, Sengoku Basara Samurai heroes and Afro Samurai. Not only is it unresponsive but its flow is constantly interrupted by quicklime connected to finishers, counter moves and all the bosses are littered with them instead just letting player fight bosses with weapons of their choice. Since this is a boss heavy title lets talk about bosses. Depending on the difficulty level you can just button mash through all of their attacks or on higher difficulty levels due to inability to cancel combos you can only do 1-2 hits and then wait for boss to do its thing and hope bad camera angle doesn't make you take a hit. Neither of the approaches is very fun. Apart from combat there is platforming and it is terribly executed with atrocious camera angles and jumping technique.
    This GoW game also lacks a story or interesting characters that in some way enhance the experience.
    To me it feels like this game was all about graphic and no substance.

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you liked the previous God of War titles, you're going to feel right at home with this one.
  2. But despite God of War III being afraid of flying too close to the sun -lest those carefully crafted wings should melt- the journey is relentlessly exciting; a blistering spectacle told in blood and thunder. Truly epic, then. And I defy anyone to argue with the definition this time around.
  3. God of War 3 is fantastic, and has at least three scenes that are utterly magnificent. Design and gameplay-wise, it's absolutely stunning. The downside is that it doesn't have that clear cut perfection that its predecessor had; the polish shine that brilliantly lit up our eyes when we first enjoyed God of War 2.