• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 24, 2010
7.5

1. Nov 27, 2010
    Horrible. Developer was to lazy to even allow you to change the breaks. Only 200 cars fully rendered the rest look like crap. They had 6 years to make it look good and they couldn't even finish it with all the delays. Might of been better if it had never been released. I will stick to forza and need for speed hot pursuit.
  2. Nov 27, 2010
    I've been playing GT since version 3.
    I waited patiently for GT5 and what a let down it is.
    Nothing has been fixed from Prologue. There is screen tearing, slowdown, pop up. In a remarkable act of incompetence, Polyphony have actually managed to break online multiplayer. The whole interface is ill thought out and acts as a huge barrier between player and game. Vehicle damage is a joke.
    I've been playing GT since version 3.
    I waited patiently for GT5 and what a let down it is.
    Vehicle damage is a joke. Only 20% of cars are new. Rehashing of old tracks is poor - Trial Mountain in particular.
    Weather is limited and does not seem to affect handling. There is no effect of weather on your car - ie, they don't get dirty. Even raindrops don't splash on cars.
    The so-called course maker is a deception, as it only allows you to massage some presets.
    The museum is an utter waste of time to anyone but car-nerds.
    I have already sold the game at a small loss and I doubt I will ever buy GT again. Kaz has made himself a discredited laughing stock and Sony must realise that they are becoming a 3rd rate gaming company.
    I give GT5 0/10 for being unfinished and far behind the competition, as well as being an insult to the magnificent GT3.
  3. Nov 26, 2010
    five years for that! GT5 is not finished.
    GT5 is the PES of car games, i will not buy it, for sure.

i can 't believe they worked five years for that result
  4. Nov 27, 2010
    If you've ever played a GT game before you know what to expect. But unfortunately things haven't changed with the times. The AI is BAD it will just try and plow through you! For the most part all you have to do it upgrade the car with limited upgrades available to beat the competition. There is no mechanical damage and very little cosmetic so this game will make you a sloppy driverIf you've ever played a GT game before you know what to expect. But unfortunately things haven't changed with the times. The AI is BAD it will just try and plow through you! For the most part all you have to do it upgrade the car with limited upgrades available to beat the competition. There is no mechanical damage and very little cosmetic so this game will make you a sloppy driver because there is no punishment for driving like a madman. The online seems tacked on, there is no leader board and no classes to keep the races even and no credits to earn for single player. The visuals are ok, not as good as the screen shots made them out to be. There are bad shadows and some of the older tracks look strait from the ps2. And the sounds are hit or miss, but you can use custom BMG if you want.
    I have no idea what PD has been doing for this long but this game almost feels 5 years old. Try before you buy!
  5. Nov 27, 2010
    What an absolutely horrible game, just terrible. Please do not waste your money on buying this game. What baffles me is how it took them so long to put out a piece of **** like this!
  6. Nov 24, 2010
    1000 cars yes, but only 200 cars are "premium". Meaning for the other 800 you can't even swap wheels. Damage is only visible on "premium" cars, and is barely noticeable and extremely unrealistic. The single player campaign is dated, same boring "Sunday Cup" style championships. AI is dreadful, other cars don't react to you. You don't need skill, just upgrades, generic ones too (no brands /1000 cars yes, but only 200 cars are "premium". Meaning for the other 800 you can't even swap wheels. Damage is only visible on "premium" cars, and is barely noticeable and extremely unrealistic. The single player campaign is dated, same boring "Sunday Cup" style championships. AI is dreadful, other cars don't react to you. You don't need skill, just upgrades, generic ones too (no brands / no engine swapping) - and what ever happened to brake upgrades?

Ridiculous load times between menus (takes forever to go through simple menu to menu). And a monster initial install of 8GB to speed up track load times.

Online mode is clunky to get into. Controls and graphics aren't really too far removed from GT4 to be honest (especially on the 800 "standard" cars).

All in all, disappointment. 5-6 years to build a game that feels like its predecessor, and barely delivers on any of its new promises. I was so disappointed that I returned this game for a full refund. Please read reviews before purchasing and don't believe the hype like I did.
  7. Nov 24, 2010
    Frankly am extremely disappointed from what I was hoping would be an absolute classic. The gameplay feels like it hasn't changed at all from previous incarnations, and lacks any real innovation in a genre that has so much potential. Graphics are a real disappointment, with shadows and particle effects looking particularly bad; frame tearing and dropped framerate during the races andFrankly am extremely disappointed from what I was hoping would be an absolute classic. The gameplay feels like it hasn't changed at all from previous incarnations, and lacks any real innovation in a genre that has so much potential. Graphics are a real disappointment, with shadows and particle effects looking particularly bad; frame tearing and dropped framerate during the races and replays, as well as most of the tracks looking like slightly touched up versions of their PS2 counterparts.

From a game promising to really push the Playstation platform, all I felt it did was highlight its failures, and really show its age. Here's hoping that the next iteration (if there is one) tries to break the hard and fast mould it's created for itself.
  8. Nov 25, 2010
    Crashing a supercar into a wall at 200mph results in what sounds like someone kicking a carboard box and results in no damage at all. By making 200 of the cars "better" than the other 800 you're left feeling like its an unfinished game and after 6 years thats just not acceptable. Visually, this game is a thing of two halves. The cars that have the "Premium" treatment are beautiful, problemCrashing a supercar into a wall at 200mph results in what sounds like someone kicking a carboard box and results in no damage at all. By making 200 of the cars "better" than the other 800 you're left feeling like its an unfinished game and after 6 years thats just not acceptable. Visually, this game is a thing of two halves. The cars that have the "Premium" treatment are beautiful, problem is they're alongside some very ugly looking PS2 generation cars and the tracks are dull and lifeless. The stadiums are full of cardboard cut outs and the trees look like their from the PS1 era, they're basically X's if you were to look down on them. Its not good enough. Not played the 360's compliment of racing games so I'm not a fanboy BUT I remember PGR2 from the original XBOX being more impressive than this and that was about 6 years ago... Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2010
    I love Sony and all its franchises, but i waited too long for this game, had dreams making LOVE with GT5... And... For what? I've been fooled... But you may say "it's still a good racing game", right? Yes, it's, but nothing near with expectations and Sony's promises. I'm really disappointed.
  10. Nov 24, 2010
    Thoroughly disappointing! This was supposed to be the racing game to end all racing games! Instead I find it to be great yes, but not amazing and certainly not the best driving game I've played! Owning both GT5 and Forza 3 (I have both a PS3 for myself and my son's Xbox 360 in the house) I would argue that Forza 3 is the superior game. The graphics are incredibly similar though usingThoroughly disappointing! This was supposed to be the racing game to end all racing games! Instead I find it to be great yes, but not amazing and certainly not the best driving game I've played! Owning both GT5 and Forza 3 (I have both a PS3 for myself and my son's Xbox 360 in the house) I would argue that Forza 3 is the superior game. The graphics are incredibly similar though using slightly differing artistic styles (GT5 maybe has better lighting but Forza certainly doesn't seem to have noticeably less detail - in many instances it looks better) and when it comes to gameplay Forza wins hands down. It's just more fun to play, has shorter loading times, a better single player mode and an all round better experience. GT5 just feels a little unwieldy and not the perfectly tuned racer I expected. This is a game remember? We expect more than just good graphics - most current gen games nowadays have them as a given. Expand
  11. Dec 29, 2012
    Weak graphics, the gameplay is exactly as the previous series with the same maps being present. The load times between menus are ridiculous (it takes forever to go through simple menu to menu). Visuals suck. Damage is only visible on "premium" cars - which are only 200 out of the 1000 the game supposingly has - and is barely noticeable and extremely unrealistic. You can crash a supercarWeak graphics, the gameplay is exactly as the previous series with the same maps being present. The load times between menus are ridiculous (it takes forever to go through simple menu to menu). Visuals suck. Damage is only visible on "premium" cars - which are only 200 out of the 1000 the game supposingly has - and is barely noticeable and extremely unrealistic. You can crash a supercar straight into a wall at 250mph and just listen to a weak, gentle, "boop" sound and leave it with only a scratch - you call this "Advanced Visuals" Sony? Now on the gameplay, I will be brief and point out the major problems, among the many it has, impossible to write them all down. So, the gameplay: it SUCKS. In the "Licenses" Mode most of the 'licenses' are almost impossible to complete with a 'Gold Trophy.' I've spend, totally, more than 5 hours trying to reach for the 'Gold' and it was near impossible, having half of them on Silver, repeating them again and again, the same routine, like the game was design that way so that you couldn't hit the Gold (I am not new to this kind of games, I'm playing since Gran Turismo 1.) But, that's not all, another monstrosity: some Licenses and some Special Events require you to not touch other drivers or you are disqualified. A good idea, I won't argue, but when you drive in a narrow road with 20 others cars, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to touch someone, even slightly. Ok, say I may be a loser and bump on someone, the fun part is that when OTHERS bump on to you... YOU get disqualified... WHAT THE F*CK Sony?! I did a 15 minutes course and found myself losing, after all my hard work, and hundreds of tries to avoid others when a f*kin driver bumped on to me at a corner near the end... this is ridiculous (I slammed on the floor and broke a PS3 controller because of my anger, the game is terribly made, looking more like unfinished.) Visual effects suck, sounds are terrible, the game follows the same model as previous GTs... I loved Gran Turismo but this is enough... I am playing since GT1 and couldn't wait for GT5... a HUGE disappointment. I do NOT recommend the game... in one word, it is 'disappointing.' A big shame really. The company had more than 5 years to make it look good and they couldn't even finish it... I am definitely NOT buying upcoming series, and seriously, if they are like this, it is better not to release anything... Expand
  12. Nov 26, 2012
    This game is a joke, even with the g27 it is really really poor. I think the sfx remember you of the summer when you can hear all the electric garden equipment, ps1gt2 supra still sounds better than this pile of you know what. Sorry PD but forza has stole your crown, & it pains me to say it but the gt series is finished, & i loved all the other gt games' YES GAME NOT SIM PLEASE. StandardThis game is a joke, even with the g27 it is really really poor. I think the sfx remember you of the summer when you can hear all the electric garden equipment, ps1gt2 supra still sounds better than this pile of you know what. Sorry PD but forza has stole your crown, & it pains me to say it but the gt series is finished, & i loved all the other gt games' YES GAME NOT SIM PLEASE. Standard cars would look bad on a C64 or even a ZX81. Yes its an update sim maybe but not a driving sim although it does a good job of simulation driving you up the wall. 3/10 (5000 years to make and it still needs updating) Expand
  13. Dec 10, 2010
    How I have grown tired of the fan boy-ism the reality is that this game is average at best and mind blowingly bad at worst.

The game suffers from many problems... A. Considering every past GT title has had some form of actual customisation it feels very hollow that you can't even change the the wheels on the majority of the cars (all of the "standard" model cars which is over 800 if you

The game suffers from many problems...
    A. Considering every past GT title has had some form of actual customisation it feels very hollow that you can't even change the the wheels on the majority of the cars (all of the "standard" model cars which is over 800 if you wanted a rough idea), adding one of three spoilers that can be added to just about any car in the game doesn't fix this problem, if anything it serves to remind you of how much time Polphony Digital has wasted.

B. When you add the titles "Top Gear" and "WRC" to your game it gives the impression that they are going to be fun, or at least interesting, how wrong you would be to think such a thing. I swear if I get disqualified one more time for passing a long the bevelled corner of a car or for going half a meter off the track because I was cut off by the incredibly stupid AI (we will discuss that later) PB will open its door one day to the smell of burning manure. The kart racing component of the game starts off fun (and can still be salvaged in multi player), but quickly turns sour once you realise that it suffers from an immense case of catch up car for the AI.

C. I know that in actual sports racing lots of laps makes the race more competitive due to the physical strength of the drivers being tested, but when a lot of the longer races are performed on tracks that lack any sort of advanced cornering the game becomes incredibly mind numbing. There is one race on the Autumn track where you have to do 10 laps and I was forced to pause every 2 minutes and go grab a drink or watch the TV because I got just that bored (no word of a lie).

D. You would think that with 13 years of experience in the development of racing simulation that PB would understand that in real life people don't try to re arrange the side of your car if you miss judged the corner, however this isn't the case the AI will do all sorts of silly things like breaking on a straight when there are no obstacles in sight (not even other cars) or over steering five times in a row instead of merely stopping and correcting themselves. While on the topic of AI I think I might take a moment to discuss the "B-spec" part of the game, which entails you directing an AI "driver" in a race, my main problem with this game mode is the players AI always seems to be a pansy and will do things like not over taking or just straight up accelerating into the rear of the car ahead for 3 seconds before breaking hard (this problem becomes so crippling that in some races if you can't get a head in the first few corners that you will spend the entire race losing positions due to your driver refusing play aggressively, it got to the point where my Veyron came 7th in a race on the second tier starting tournament, without crashing once).

E. I really want to point out the games atrocious sound track, but it supports custom music so its not like you can really say that its a deal breaker.

The reality is that the game isn't terrible at first glance, but I can't help but feel that the six years of work since the last game doesn't seem to have been well invested especially considering the leaps and bounds the last games took when it comes to development. I fear that the most notable feature of GT5 is its online multi player, but even then it is hard to like a game where its saving grace is a mode that is rampant in most titles this generation. If any one is wandering the only reason I haven't brought up the graphics it is because they are like the games simulation mechanics, in the right light it is beautiful but more often than not you are looking at card board cut out observers and terrible texture mapping.
  14. Mar 10, 2012
    This game seriously bores the **** out of me. Being the first Gran Turismo I've played, I have to say, not my kind of game. It feels "too realistic". Hell, I like a little action in racing games. The opponents look as if they don't even try to pass you. On top of that, I can't seem to get used to how the physics are in this game. The soundtrack is just horrible, and I hate how the gameThis game seriously bores the **** out of me. Being the first Gran Turismo I've played, I have to say, not my kind of game. It feels "too realistic". Hell, I like a little action in racing games. The opponents look as if they don't even try to pass you. On top of that, I can't seem to get used to how the physics are in this game. The soundtrack is just horrible, and I hate how the game changes the track for every new menu you go to. Really ****ing stupid. Then again, I'm too used to fast paced racing games. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2010
    I'm really disappointed with this game.A cumbersome user interface, bad AI ,800 cars that look like a goddamn ps2 game and only 11 tracks with weather after 5 years.You have backgrounds that look like cardboards and jaggy shadows everywhere.You even made people pay for a demo to promising all cars would look good yet all we got was a lie This isn't ps2 generation anymore polyphony, pleaseI'm really disappointed with this game.A cumbersome user interface, bad AI ,800 cars that look like a goddamn ps2 game and only 11 tracks with weather after 5 years.You have backgrounds that look like cardboards and jaggy shadows everywhere.You even made people pay for a demo to promising all cars would look good yet all we got was a lie This isn't ps2 generation anymore polyphony, please step your game up. Expand
  16. Mar 15, 2011
    Oh dear. How the mighty have fallen. I confess, as a kid, on the original playstation, I played GT and GT2 pretty much non-stop. Gran Turismo is a series of true prestige and class, and as i have always said, it is the best racing series to grace any games console, ever. Period. But is that still the case? GT3 and GT4 are two of the most immersive racers I have ever played, and despite theOh dear. How the mighty have fallen. I confess, as a kid, on the original playstation, I played GT and GT2 pretty much non-stop. Gran Turismo is a series of true prestige and class, and as i have always said, it is the best racing series to grace any games console, ever. Period. But is that still the case? GT3 and GT4 are two of the most immersive racers I have ever played, and despite the lack of quality in GT Concept, it remained that way until the release of the full version of GT5. I never played GT5 Prologue, simply because I had an Xbox until GT5, and i was enjoying the limitless wonders of the Forza series. Anyway, Forza is besides the point for now. Gran Turismo 5 starts with an opening movie that has some of the best graphics ever seen in a video game, truly excellent. However, it then goes downhill. The graphics are a major concern in this game, when you watch the opening movie or any of the trailers, the graphics look gorgeous, and it appears that they are going to surpass that of Forza Motorsport with ease, however, when you actually get around to playing the game they are actually offensively poor. There are two catagories of car in the game; Premium and Standard. All very well one may think, but as the starting budget of the game is 20,000 â Expand
  17. Jan 5, 2011
    As I sit here watching a trio of my B-Spec drivers do their best to dig out of seventh place, 2 laps down - this despite being in a superior race car - in a 24 hour race at Le Mans, I ask myself, "Why I am still bothering with this game"? And make no mistake about it, this is a game, not a sim. This is my first console driving game, as my prior experience has been with PC sims such asAs I sit here watching a trio of my B-Spec drivers do their best to dig out of seventh place, 2 laps down - this despite being in a superior race car - in a 24 hour race at Le Mans, I ask myself, "Why I am still bothering with this game"? And make no mistake about it, this is a game, not a sim. This is my first console driving game, as my prior experience has been with PC sims such as Papyrus' original NASCAR Racing (in DOS!), Grand Prix Legends, and ISI's rFactor. I approached Gran Turismo 5 with an open mind and a hope that the consoles might finally have matured to the point that it would be an enjoyable title in which to log many virtual miles. To say my experience has been mixed would be an understatement.

What can I said that hasn't already been repeated a thousand times? The premium cars are beautiful, most of the tracks are lovely, and the driving model is above average, for a console. Unfortunately, that's all offset by tragically done standard cars, horrendous AI, and ridiculously bad design decisions (seriously, these menus are awful).

Most grating, in my experience, are not necessarily those pieces included in the title, but rather the things which are as yet still missing. Basic features like replay controls and car **** for ALL cars. Honestly, it's 2010, racing sims have had replay controls since the 1990s. Supposedly, the next 150MB+ patch will finally provide this functionality, but too little, too late on that front, in my opinion.

My other massive gripe is with the lack of a save/fast forward function in endurance races, particularly those lasting longer than 4 hours. This seems to be an intentional, and inarguably idiotic omission. B-spec drivers must race for 4, 9, and even 24 complete hours, in which they will inevitably use an absolutely mindless strategy so as to maximize their chances of failure, unless of course you give them a car so vastly superior to their competition that they cannot help but win, i.e. the Red Bull X2010 at Le Mans. Worse, you, the human driver, cannot hand the car off to AI teammates, so the lack of a save feature means you will literally have to drive 24 complete hours yourself. When nature calls, or exhaustion overcomes you, your only choice is to pause the game, returning at some later time to continue on. In the meantime, your PS3 idles, uselessly consuming power and burning through its finite service life. Absolutely, astonishingly, ridiculously stupid design decisions! It is baffling that such a choice was made and speaks to the poor leadership exhibited by the "legendary" Kazunori Yamauchi.

If this game is evidence of Mr. Yamauchi's supposed genius, I would ask that the IQ test be readministered. In my opinion, the games lead designer is the person most responsible for the games numerous failings. From the monotony of grinding through levels to unlock cars, to the completely incompetent AI, and the laugable menu layouts, it would seem Mr. Yamauchi's 5-year pet project is truly a mess. I can only imagine what a catastrophe Gran Turismo 6 will be. Fortunately, we won't have to worry about that until 2015 or beyond. All told, I was highly disappointed in this title. After 5 years in development, 5 YEARS, and all the hype coming from PS3 fanboys, I was expecting something special. What I got was an half-cooked "could have been", rather than the masterpiece so many led me to believe it would be.
  18. Feb 26, 2012
    This game was frustrating!! Graphics were good, but not as good as so many people said they were. A little disappointing. The game just wasn't fun. I had more fun playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2. The download takes forever. The game just wasn't streamlined and was an average racing game. Nothing special about it.
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    What a ridiculous release! A half finished game which brings nothing new to the table. I waited 6 or so years for this and for it to be such a disappointment is beyond me. Did they really import the cars directly from the ps2 version? Sorry Sony but you've been outdone by Microsoft's Forza chain.
  20. COT
    Nov 30, 2010
    First off I've been a huge fan of the GT series ever since GT1 with my favorites being GT2 and GT3. I also track my race car on track days in the real world. I've patiently waited years for this game to release and actually bought a PS3 a while ago simply for it. My hopes were to be able to get my racing fix with GT5 since I can't get my car on track as many times as I'd like with myFirst off I've been a huge fan of the GT series ever since GT1 with my favorites being GT2 and GT3. I also track my race car on track days in the real world. I've patiently waited years for this game to release and actually bought a PS3 a while ago simply for it. My hopes were to be able to get my racing fix with GT5 since I can't get my car on track as many times as I'd like with my current budget. Unfortunately this game is just awful. The actual driving is quite fantastic and I'm pretty satisfied with that, but the game itself is shameful. I'm actually heartbroken and feel betrayed. I'm probably one of the many that ended up buying Forza 3 to pass the time until GT5 came out, little did I know that I'd just return to Forza in the end. Even though Forza has its many flaws and is quite disappointing in its own ways, I still believe it is a far better game. It's unbelievable that they're advertising this game as having more than 1000 cars when they fail to mention that 80% of them are just direct ports from a game that's 7 years old. And it shows. -pathetic AI-
    -inconsistent frame rate and screen tearing-
    -paper thin modifications-
    -lackluster tuning- ( no brake or ARB options )
    -dismal and unfortunate looking standard cars- ( the whole standard vs. premium idea is idiotic to say the least )
    -bad selection of premium cars-
    -unfortunate looking and limited tracks-

and many many more. Just read the mixed and negative reviews, they're more or less on the money. All in all I would definitely give this game a much higher rating if I didn't care so much, but alas I'm no casual gamer where games like NFS are a good enough racing experience. Just overall very very disappointing to see that my favorite racing franchise of all time has come to this.
  21. Apr 2, 2011
    GT5 is the embarrassment of not only the racing genre but the video game genre.6 year for nothing, might as well call it buyer's remorse general 5.How is it possible the score has dropped drastically for each sequel.And to make it worse they charged people for a **** demo.
  22. Nov 29, 2010
    I don't understand what they've been doing all this time, six years and only 11 tracks with weather? The game feel half assed Quality over quantity. I rather 600 premium cars that ps2 looking ones.You don't even get money for winning races online but the deduct damage from you for getting hit in an online race.
    Gran Turismo 5 looks great on the outside but when you finally sit down to play
    Gran Turismo 5 looks great on the outside but when you finally sit down to play it you will find that it lacks some online features that you would think would be standard. Want to invite your friends to your game? That isnâ
  23. Dec 1, 2010
    800 cars that look like a ps2 game, crappy tracks, and no damage and the idiots will still eat it up.
  24. Dec 1, 2010
    GT5 reminds me of hurricane Katrina.A big impact in a terrible way.
  25. Dec 5, 2010
    deserves to be in the landfill with Atari's ET
  26. Nov 27, 2010
    What a waste of 60 bucks. I should have known they would try and make these controls so realistic that they would just would not feel fun. Returned it already. If you masturbate to cars spinning around in neutral white space it might be your game. For me, i like fun, fast racing games. GT5 just ain't for me. Get the new NFS you can actually have fun then.
  27. Nov 27, 2010
    After a few laps and the resulting eyesore...the game appeared to have been signed off by a 5 year old...not that of a Kazunori Yamauchi! FOR SHAME! This reeks of a fat cheque thrown your way to ensure every PS3 owner has a copy of GT5 in their xmas stocking! We've all been taken for a ride...a 6 year ride of spit and polished high-res teasers only. This is not GT standard mate...EPIC FAILAfter a few laps and the resulting eyesore...the game appeared to have been signed off by a 5 year old...not that of a Kazunori Yamauchi! FOR SHAME! This reeks of a fat cheque thrown your way to ensure every PS3 owner has a copy of GT5 in their xmas stocking! We've all been taken for a ride...a 6 year ride of spit and polished high-res teasers only. This is not GT standard mate...EPIC FAIL Sony and Kaz! Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2010
    The Taylor Swift of racing simulators, and i'm not talking about her looks.
  29. Dec 2, 2010
    GT4 or GT5 HD? Below average graphics, dated gameplay , optional licenses, bad online , bad sound, bad menus ... THE WORST GT IN HISTORY! I just dont give it a zero because Sony had the balls to launch this crappy game worldwide.
  30. Nov 30, 2010
    What happens when a developer produces a game in 1 year, and then goes on vacation for the next 5 before finally releasing their product? While I'm sure that's not what happened with Polyphony Digital and GT5, it certainly gives us a glimpse of what the outcome of such an act might be. The game feels pieced together in the worst way. Before I get into the meat of the review, I'll simplyWhat happens when a developer produces a game in 1 year, and then goes on vacation for the next 5 before finally releasing their product? While I'm sure that's not what happened with Polyphony Digital and GT5, it certainly gives us a glimpse of what the outcome of such an act might be. The game feels pieced together in the worst way. Before I get into the meat of the review, I'll simply state - I've played every GT up until this. Any further attempts to assure you of my status as anything other than an Xbox Fanboy would be wasted, I'm well aware. I'd like to say that GT5 is a flawed but excellent game. I can't. What it is is a flawed mediocre game. The driving physics no longer stand head and shoulders above the competition, the car selection, while immense, is deceptive - how many variations of the Nissan Skyline do we really need? And to make matters worse, cars are split between "Standard" and "Premium" varieties. The standard vehicles look like they were rendered 5 years ago, early in the development cycle. They would be passable if this were a launch title. The Premium cars look considerably better, with a level of detail that's hard to appreciate outside Photo Mode. There are far more standard than premium cars, sadly. The backgrounds and tracks are likewise bi-polar - some seem to be taken directly from the PS2, with only a hi-def makeover for improvement, right down to the 2D trees and skyboxes.

And the driving? It's the equal, but not better, of any racing game on the market. But where other racing sims succeed, GT5 fails, for the first time, to distinguish itself, for while the driving physics are superlative as ever, the opponent AI is worse than ever. Other cars seem, at most times, to not even acknowledge your presence on the track, attempting to drive through you on their racing line far too often. And when a collision does occur, it's as if the other car is bolted to the track - good luck trying to get the better of a close scrape, regardless of whether you're in a 1,600lb GT and your opponent is in a 1,040lb hatchback. You will spin out, they will not.

In the end, the things that made GT great are still there, at times. But much of the game feels and looks 5 years old, and the competition has more than caught up. This is no longer a worthwhile offering from a developer that once commanded the genre.

1. Feb 18, 2011
    We love Gran Turismo dearly but it isn't the game we hoped it would be. [Feb 2011, p.72]
  2. An unusually complex driving game that demands real dedication and only fully reveals its true power once you've put the mileage in. [Jan 2011, p.108]
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    GT5 is pretty much exactly what everybody expected it to be. Overhyped maybe because of the unprecedented delay in its release, but spot on with its goals.