• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Nov 24, 2010
7.5

1. Nov 27, 2010
    If you've ever played a GT game before you know what to expect. But unfortunately things haven't changed with the times. The AI is BAD it will just try and plow through you! For the most part all you have to do it upgrade the car with limited upgrades available to beat the competition. There is no mechanical damage and very little cosmetic so this game will make you a sloppy driver because there is no punishment for driving like a madman. The online seems tacked on, there is no leader board and no classes to keep the races even and no credits to earn for single player. The visuals are ok, not as good as the screen shots made them out to be. There are bad shadows and some of the older tracks look strait from the ps2. And the sounds are hit or miss, but you can use custom BMG if you want.
    I have no idea what PD has been doing for this long but this game almost feels 5 years old. Try before you buy!
  2. Nov 24, 2010
    I love Sony and all its franchises, but i waited too long for this game, had dreams making LOVE with GT5... And... For what? I've been fooled... But you may say "it's still a good racing game", right? Yes, it's, but nothing near with expectations and Sony's promises. I'm really disappointed.
  3. Nov 25, 2010
    Crashing a supercar into a wall at 200mph results in what sounds like someone kicking a carboard box and results in no damage at all. By making 200 of the cars "better" than the other 800 you're left feeling like its an unfinished game and after 6 years thats just not acceptable. Visually, this game is a thing of two halves. The cars that have the "Premium" treatment are beautiful, problem is they're alongside some very ugly looking PS2 generation cars and the tracks are dull and lifeless. The stadiums are full of cardboard cut outs and the trees look like their from the PS1 era, they're basically X's if you were to look down on them. Its not good enough. Not played the 360's compliment of racing games so I'm not a fanboy BUT I remember PGR2 from the original XBOX being more impressive than this and that was about 6 years ago... Expand
  4. Nov 24, 2010
    Frankly am extremely disappointed from what I was hoping would be an absolute classic. The gameplay feels like it hasn't changed at all from previous incarnations, and lacks any real innovation in a genre that has so much potential. Graphics are a real disappointment, with shadows and particle effects looking particularly bad; frame tearing and dropped framerate during the races and replays, as well as most of the tracks looking like slightly touched up versions of their PS2 counterparts.

From a game promising to really push the Playstation platform, all I felt it did was highlight its failures, and really show its age. Here's hoping that the next iteration (if there is one) tries to break the hard and fast mould it's created for itself.
  5. Nov 27, 2010
    I've been playing GT since version 3. I waited patiently for GT5 and what a let down it is. Nothing has been fixed from Prologue. There is screen tearing, slowdown, pop up. In a remarkable act of incompetence, Polyphony have actually managed to break online multiplayer. The whole interface is ill thought out and acts as a huge barrier between player and game. Vehicle damage is a joke. Only 20% of cars are new. Rehashing of old tracks is poor - Trial Mountain in particular.
    Weather is limited and does not seem to affect handling. There is no effect of weather on your car - ie, they don't get dirty. Even raindrops don't splash on cars.
    The so-called course maker is a deception, as it only allows you to massage some presets.
    The museum is an utter waste of time to anyone but car-nerds.
    I have already sold the game at a small loss and I doubt I will ever buy GT again. Kaz has made himself a discredited laughing stock and Sony must realise that they are becoming a 3rd rate gaming company.
    I give GT5 0/10 for being unfinished and far behind the competition, as well as being an insult to the magnificent GT3.
  6. Nov 24, 2010
    1000 cars yes, but only 200 cars are "premium". Meaning for the other 800 you can't even swap wheels. Damage is only visible on "premium" cars, and is barely noticeable and extremely unrealistic. The single player campaign is dated, same boring "Sunday Cup" style championships. AI is dreadful, other cars don't react to you. You don't need skill, just upgrades, generic ones too (no brands / no engine swapping) - and what ever happened to brake upgrades?

Ridiculous load times between menus (takes forever to go through simple menu to menu). And a monster initial install of 8GB to speed up track load times.

Online mode is clunky to get into. Controls and graphics aren't really too far removed from GT4 to be honest (especially on the 800 "standard" cars).

All in all, disappointment. 5-6 years to build a game that feels like its predecessor, and barely delivers on any of its new promises. I was so disappointed that I returned this game for a full refund. Please read reviews before purchasing and don't believe the hype like I did.
  7. Nov 24, 2010
    Thoroughly disappointing! This was supposed to be the racing game to end all racing games! Instead I find it to be great yes, but not amazing and certainly not the best driving game I've played! Owning both GT5 and Forza 3 (I have both a PS3 for myself and my son's Xbox 360 in the house) I would argue that Forza 3 is the superior game. The graphics are incredibly similar though using slightly differing artistic styles (GT5 maybe has better lighting but Forza certainly doesn't seem to have noticeably less detail - in many instances it looks better) and when it comes to gameplay Forza wins hands down. It's just more fun to play, has shorter loading times, a better single player mode and an all round better experience. GT5 just feels a little unwieldy and not the perfectly tuned racer I expected. This is a game remember? We expect more than just good graphics - most current gen games nowadays have them as a given. Expand
  8. Nov 26, 2010
    five years for that! GT5 is not finished.
    GT5 is the PES of car games, i will not buy it, for sure.

i can 't believe they worked five years for that result
  9. Nov 27, 2010
    Horrible. Developer was to lazy to even allow you to change the breaks. Only 200 cars fully rendered the rest look like crap. They had 6 years to make it look good and they couldn't even finish it with all the delays. Might of been better if it had never been released. I will stick to forza and need for speed hot pursuit.
  10. Nov 27, 2010
    What an absolutely horrible game, just terrible. Please do not waste your money on buying this game. What baffles me is how it took them so long to put out a piece of **** like this!
  11. Nov 27, 2010
    What a waste of 60 bucks. I should have known they would try and make these controls so realistic that they would just would not feel fun. Returned it already. If you masturbate to cars spinning around in neutral white space it might be your game. For me, i like fun, fast racing games. GT5 just ain't for me. Get the new NFS you can actually have fun then.
  12. Nov 27, 2010
    After a few laps and the resulting eyesore...the game appeared to have been signed off by a 5 year old...not that of a Kazunori Yamauchi! FOR SHAME! This reeks of a fat cheque thrown your way to ensure every PS3 owner has a copy of GT5 in their xmas stocking! We've all been taken for a ride...a 6 year ride of spit and polished high-res teasers only. This is not GT standard mate...EPIC FAIL Sony and Kaz! Expand
  13. Nov 26, 2010
    So bland it's unbelievable. After 5 years of waiting we get this? Stick with the newer franchises. I doubt there will be a Grand Turismo 6. If you have a PC check out some of the driving or better yet racing sims there. Richard Burns Rally is great. Live For Speed is great. GT5 is a huge disappointment.
  14. Nov 26, 2010
    Sure it's a detailed and compelling racing simulator, but it's hard to not feel disappointed after the time it took to make, especially since Forza 3 stole the spotlight.
  15. Nov 30, 2010
    Half a decade to make- 80% cars have no interior view- weak Ai- unrealistic damage-Low quality graphics for most cars-
    UNFINSHED=DISSAPOINTMENT..............................................................................................................
  16. COT
    Nov 30, 2010
    First off I've been a huge fan of the GT series ever since GT1 with my favorites being GT2 and GT3. I also track my race car on track days in the real world. I've patiently waited years for this game to release and actually bought a PS3 a while ago simply for it. My hopes were to be able to get my racing fix with GT5 since I can't get my car on track as many times as I'd like with my current budget. Unfortunately this game is just awful. The actual driving is quite fantastic and I'm pretty satisfied with that, but the game itself is shameful. I'm actually heartbroken and feel betrayed. I'm probably one of the many that ended up buying Forza 3 to pass the time until GT5 came out, little did I know that I'd just return to Forza in the end. Even though Forza has its many flaws and is quite disappointing in its own ways, I still believe it is a far better game. It's unbelievable that they're advertising this game as having more than 1000 cars when they fail to mention that 80% of them are just direct ports from a game that's 7 years old. And it shows. -pathetic AI-
    -inconsistent frame rate and screen tearing-
    -paper thin modifications-
    -lackluster tuning- ( no brake or ARB options )
    -dismal and unfortunate looking standard cars- ( the whole standard vs. premium idea is idiotic to say the least )
    -bad selection of premium cars-
    -unfortunate looking and limited tracks-

and many many more. Just read the mixed and negative reviews, they're more or less on the money. All in all I would definitely give this game a much higher rating if I didn't care so much, but alas I'm no casual gamer where games like NFS are a good enough racing experience. Just overall very very disappointing to see that my favorite racing franchise of all time has come to this.
  17. Dec 1, 2010
    6 years of development for nothing. It is sad how people call this game realistic when it's clearly not. It is not even fun. GT5 excels only at failing,
  18. Nov 30, 2010
    What happens when a developer produces a game in 1 year, and then goes on vacation for the next 5 before finally releasing their product? While I'm sure that's not what happened with Polyphony Digital and GT5, it certainly gives us a glimpse of what the outcome of such an act might be. The game feels pieced together in the worst way. Before I get into the meat of the review, I'll simply state - I've played every GT up until this. Any further attempts to assure you of my status as anything other than an Xbox Fanboy would be wasted, I'm well aware. I'd like to say that GT5 is a flawed but excellent game. I can't. What it is is a flawed mediocre game. The driving physics no longer stand head and shoulders above the competition, the car selection, while immense, is deceptive - how many variations of the Nissan Skyline do we really need? And to make matters worse, cars are split between "Standard" and "Premium" varieties. The standard vehicles look like they were rendered 5 years ago, early in the development cycle. They would be passable if this were a launch title. The Premium cars look considerably better, with a level of detail that's hard to appreciate outside Photo Mode. There are far more standard than premium cars, sadly. The backgrounds and tracks are likewise bi-polar - some seem to be taken directly from the PS2, with only a hi-def makeover for improvement, right down to the 2D trees and skyboxes.

And the driving? It's the equal, but not better, of any racing game on the market. But where other racing sims succeed, GT5 fails, for the first time, to distinguish itself, for while the driving physics are superlative as ever, the opponent AI is worse than ever. Other cars seem, at most times, to not even acknowledge your presence on the track, attempting to drive through you on their racing line far too often. And when a collision does occur, it's as if the other car is bolted to the track - good luck trying to get the better of a close scrape, regardless of whether you're in a 1,600lb GT and your opponent is in a 1,040lb hatchback. You will spin out, they will not.

In the end, the things that made GT great are still there, at times. But much of the game feels and looks 5 years old, and the competition has more than caught up. This is no longer a worthwhile offering from a developer that once commanded the genre.
  19. Nov 30, 2010
    Boring and bland would describe it best. I have a PS3, and a 360 like most adult gamers. Forza 3 is still the best racer out there by far.
    The graphics can be really bad at times, and inconsistent. Menu's are joke. Get a good car, and breeze through all the races.

What a shame.,,

I can't wait for Little Big Planet 2!!!
  20. Nov 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No custom soundtracks.Tracks are nothing special **** view is stupid Premium cars look no better than Forza 3 ,Drifiting is unrealistic, unlike NFS, Visually nothing special ,Sixaxis does stuff,Damage modeling is only on race cars, Citreon C4 WRC isn't for snow ,All tracks were optionally dirt tracks on GT4 Forza 3 is the best race game of the generation Expand
  21. Nov 28, 2010
    85 meta score is a generous scoring.its clear that now there is competition from other sims in this generation of consoles,GT has been caught with its pants down.the only evolution in this game has been the addition of online play and prettier cars.albeit, broken online play and inconsistent pretty cars.which are suspected ps2 HD versions ported.it seems this lack of evolution is consistent which the whole japanese gaming industry right now.but GT5 is a massive let down after so many years.and the only people crowing about it as a 10/10 game are sony/gt5 loyalists.im sorry to say..if your a big racing sim fan..then there is only one choice..forza 3!!! critical acclaim has it as the best racer available today bar none!!why? besides the fact that it scores A LOT higher here,it evolves between each game and gets better.kaz may as well have taken prologue and released an update..and sony are really good at updates i get them all the time! Expand
  22. Nov 29, 2010
    I don't understand what they've been doing all this time, six years and only 11 tracks with weather? The game feel half assed Quality over quantity. I rather 600 premium cars that ps2 looking ones.You don't even get money for winning races online but the deduct damage from you for getting hit in an online race.
    Gran Turismo 5 looks great on the outside but when you finally sit down to play
    it you will find that it lacks some online features that you would think would be standard. Want to invite your friends to your game? That isnâ Expand
  23. Nov 29, 2010
    I'm really disappointed with this game.A cumbersome user interface, bad AI ,800 cars that look like a goddamn ps2 game and only 11 tracks with weather after 5 years.You have backgrounds that look like cardboards and jaggy shadows everywhere.You even made people pay for a demo to promising all cars would look good yet all we got was a lie This isn't ps2 generation anymore polyphony, please step your game up. Expand
  24. Dec 1, 2010
    800 cars that look like a ps2 game, crappy tracks, and no damage and the idiots will still eat it up.
  25. Dec 1, 2010
    GT5 reminds me of hurricane Katrina.A big impact in a terrible way.
  26. Mar 15, 2011
    Oh dear. How the mighty have fallen. I confess, as a kid, on the original playstation, I played GT and GT2 pretty much non-stop. Gran Turismo is a series of true prestige and class, and as i have always said, it is the best racing series to grace any games console, ever. Period. But is that still the case? GT3 and GT4 are two of the most immersive racers I have ever played, and despite the lack of quality in GT Concept, it remained that way until the release of the full version of GT5. I never played GT5 Prologue, simply because I had an Xbox until GT5, and i was enjoying the limitless wonders of the Forza series. Anyway, Forza is besides the point for now. Gran Turismo 5 starts with an opening movie that has some of the best graphics ever seen in a video game, truly excellent. However, it then goes downhill. The graphics are a major concern in this game, when you watch the opening movie or any of the trailers, the graphics look gorgeous, and it appears that they are going to surpass that of Forza Motorsport with ease, however, when you actually get around to playing the game they are actually offensively poor. There are two catagories of car in the game; Premium and Standard. All very well one may think, but as the starting budget of the game is 20,000 â Expand
  27. Dec 2, 2010
    GT4 or GT5 HD? Below average graphics, dated gameplay , optional licenses, bad online , bad sound, bad menus ... THE WORST GT IN HISTORY! I just dont give it a zero because Sony had the balls to launch this crappy game worldwide.
  28. Nov 29, 2010
    How can they claim this is a driving simulator when you have no damage?
  29. Dec 1, 2010
    The Taylor Swift of racing simulators, and i'm not talking about her looks.
  30. Dec 10, 2010
    How I have grown tired of the fan boy-ism the reality is that this game is average at best and mind blowingly bad at worst.

The game suffers from many problems...
    A. Considering every past GT title has had some form of actual customisation it feels very hollow that you can't even change the the wheels on the majority of the cars (all of the "standard" model cars which is over 800 if you
    wanted a rough idea), adding one of three spoilers that can be added to just about any car in the game doesn't fix this problem, if anything it serves to remind you of how much time Polphony Digital has wasted.

B. When you add the titles "Top Gear" and "WRC" to your game it gives the impression that they are going to be fun, or at least interesting, how wrong you would be to think such a thing. I swear if I get disqualified one more time for passing a long the bevelled corner of a car or for going half a meter off the track because I was cut off by the incredibly stupid AI (we will discuss that later) PB will open its door one day to the smell of burning manure. The kart racing component of the game starts off fun (and can still be salvaged in multi player), but quickly turns sour once you realise that it suffers from an immense case of catch up car for the AI.

C. I know that in actual sports racing lots of laps makes the race more competitive due to the physical strength of the drivers being tested, but when a lot of the longer races are performed on tracks that lack any sort of advanced cornering the game becomes incredibly mind numbing. There is one race on the Autumn track where you have to do 10 laps and I was forced to pause every 2 minutes and go grab a drink or watch the TV because I got just that bored (no word of a lie).

D. You would think that with 13 years of experience in the development of racing simulation that PB would understand that in real life people don't try to re arrange the side of your car if you miss judged the corner, however this isn't the case the AI will do all sorts of silly things like breaking on a straight when there are no obstacles in sight (not even other cars) or over steering five times in a row instead of merely stopping and correcting themselves. While on the topic of AI I think I might take a moment to discuss the "B-spec" part of the game, which entails you directing an AI "driver" in a race, my main problem with this game mode is the players AI always seems to be a pansy and will do things like not over taking or just straight up accelerating into the rear of the car ahead for 3 seconds before breaking hard (this problem becomes so crippling that in some races if you can't get a head in the first few corners that you will spend the entire race losing positions due to your driver refusing play aggressively, it got to the point where my Veyron came 7th in a race on the second tier starting tournament, without crashing once).

E. I really want to point out the games atrocious sound track, but it supports custom music so its not like you can really say that its a deal breaker.

The reality is that the game isn't terrible at first glance, but I can't help but feel that the six years of work since the last game doesn't seem to have been well invested especially considering the leaps and bounds the last games took when it comes to development. I fear that the most notable feature of GT5 is its online multi player, but even then it is hard to like a game where its saving grace is a mode that is rampant in most titles this generation. If any one is wandering the only reason I haven't brought up the graphics it is because they are like the games simulation mechanics, in the right light it is beautiful but more often than not you are looking at card board cut out observers and terrible texture mapping.

1. Feb 18, 2011
    We love Gran Turismo dearly but it isn't the game we hoped it would be. [Feb 2011, p.72]
  2. An unusually complex driving game that demands real dedication and only fully reveals its true power once you've put the mileage in. [Jan 2011, p.108]
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    GT5 is pretty much exactly what everybody expected it to be. Overhyped maybe because of the unprecedented delay in its release, but spot on with its goals.