• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Dec 6, 2013
7.6

1. Dec 9, 2013
    Review update.

Positive things: 37 tracks so much better and faster UI than in the GT5 nice and better night racing some tracks improved visual tuning (on the cars) qualifying in the online races one of the best handling (In the history of video game consoles) Negative things: still awful sounds some tracks unchanged in the cokpit view poor weather system Find it on YouTube:
    Review update.

Negative things: still awful sounds some tracks unchanged in the cokpit view poor weather system Find it on YouTube: Gran Turismo 6 Vs Gran Turismo 5 Rain Effect soundtrack I don't find my friends list in the menu (For what? Example: I can't see the profile of my friends.) still standard cars no endurance races... (WTF!!) too easy career mod still no leaderboards just in the licens

Disappointment.
  2. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gran Turismo 6 is a great driving simulator. However, it isn't a great game. Depending on what you want to get out of the game, you'll either really enjoy it or get really bored. Personally I love doing time trials, so I've managed to get a lot out of GT6, but I really didn't enjoy the career mode. The races are too easy, even with a car significantly below the performance point limit for each race. Rolling starts in all but kart races really spoil the competitive aspect of the game as AI opponents are significantly worse than yourself (unless you're a terrible driver!).

The handling characteristics are unlike any other racing game I've played. The realism is definitely there, and the way the cars lean into corners and shift their weight during acceleration looks and feels great. In the cockpit view it feels like you're really driving the real life version of the in-game car. It's such a shame then that there are still about 700-800 'standard' cars still in the game - cars that I have no intention of driving as it detracts from the overall experience. A lot of these 'standard' cars are duplicate cars - for each 'standard' MX-5 there is also a Eunos and Miata variant, these are essentially the same cars duplicated three times. This also happens with the Vauxhall Corsa Comfort as the Opel version is exactly the same. The point I'm making is I'd rather see just the premium cars in the game. The space taken up by the 800 standard cars could have given way for an extra fifty premium models.

The Seasonal Events are generally better than in GT5, and are more like Rivals mode in Forza Motorsport. However, there are two or three events that require a 15th Anniversary car, which means everybody with the regular edition of the game cannot participate in these events. This annoyed me, as I like to complete every event just for personal gratification. The online lobby is a huge improvement, kudos to Polyphony for making GT6 enjoyable to play over the interweb.

By far and away the most disappointing aspect of this game though is the fact it didn't come out on PS4. This game could have fulfilled its potential by being released on the right console. As it goes, loading times are too long and some tracks look PS2-esque. On the PS4 and with no ported-from-PS2 car models, the game could have been a genuine contender to Forza Motorsport 5, and it would almost certainly have resulted in better sales figures.

As a game then, GT6 is bang average. Only the amazing driving physics and the competitive nature of the Seasonal Events make this same somewhat decent.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    I've been playing this game non stop for almost a week now and I have mixed feelings about it. The tracks are beautiful and fun to drive on, especially newer tracks like Bathurst and Silverstone. Even older tracks like Apricot Hill and Deep Forest are still fun, but less so. The newer tracks are definitely the highlight of GT6 so far. The selection of cars is as massive as ever, butI've been playing this game non stop for almost a week now and I have mixed feelings about it. The tracks are beautiful and fun to drive on, especially newer tracks like Bathurst and Silverstone. Even older tracks like Apricot Hill and Deep Forest are still fun, but less so. The newer tracks are definitely the highlight of GT6 so far. The selection of cars is as massive as ever, but while some of the cars look fantastic, there's still too many cars that look like they're left over from the PS2 days. The handling and driving physics are the best they've ever been; cars handle and control like their real world counterparts. People complain about starting with a crappy car and few credits and working your way up to better cars, but that's what GT has always been about, so people who don't like this should be playing arcade racing games, not sim racing games. The menu system is much easier and simpler to navigate than GT5, not GT5's menu system was that complex.

The problems that GT6 has are the same that have plagued it for 15 years now. The driver AI, while better than before, is still pretty dumb as cars drive in a straight line like robots. There's still limited car damage. There are far too many useless cars in the game. And some of the older tracks need a facelift. While the game is still loads of fun, it feels like the same old stuff over and over again. Polyphony needs to innovate more with GT, cuz games like Forza have caught up and even surpassed GT in some respects.
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    Another fine instalment of the Gran Turismo (GT) franchise that rights many of the wrongs that plagued GT5. Better UI, far more polished standard models and a more linear career mode that brings back the classic licence tests in a briefer form are amongst the most notable changes. To the majority who played GT4 this briefness is probably a good thing as they did tend to drag on but wereAnother fine instalment of the Gran Turismo (GT) franchise that rights many of the wrongs that plagued GT5. Better UI, far more polished standard models and a more linear career mode that brings back the classic licence tests in a briefer form are amongst the most notable changes. To the majority who played GT4 this briefness is probably a good thing as they did tend to drag on but were sorely missed in GT5. The main gripes with this game are those which have dogged all GT games. First and foremost is the lack of meaningful damage, crash into a wall at 400km/h and just pop it in reverse gear and your off again without consequence. For a game that claims to be the real driving simulator bad driving should be punished. Secondly, the cars still sound soulless and dreary, jump into a Pagani Zonda or a Lamborghini Murcielago and they sound muted and lack the visceral, or even unique characteristics the real cars so obviously have.

It should be noted that the GT series is almost peerless in console gaming when it comes to updates. On the board for just GT6 is a new track creator that utilises GPS data to recreate tracks elevation and scale. IF this eventuates then the score for the game is certainly 8. If the gripes mentioned above were coupled with this update then we would have the perfect console racing simulator.
  5. Dec 7, 2013
    The ultimate driving simulator? For Playstation 3 owners at least, this is basically as good as simulation racing gets. It is an incremental improvement over prior versions, so GT fans need not fear too much, this is still the GT you grew up with. A huge selection of cars and tracks is sure to keep car fans busy for a while. The driving physics seem close, though the grip modellingThe ultimate driving simulator? For Playstation 3 owners at least, this is basically as good as simulation racing gets. It is an incremental improvement over prior versions, so GT fans need not fear too much, this is still the GT you grew up with. A huge selection of cars and tracks is sure to keep car fans busy for a while. The driving physics seem close, though the grip modelling doesn't quite feel perfect to me. The driving lines are good enough looking and adjust reasonably to changes in car speed.

The user interface is great, you can tell they put some work into it, and the on screen HUD during races is very informative while staying out of the way and letting you focus on the track as well. The fonts are all very readable at a glance with good shadowing and contrast, I find myself liking the look of the RPM meter in 3rd person despite it being horizontal. I find 3rd person a lot easier to drive in and get better track awareness so I can't really comment much about the 1st person interface. Also, speaking about 3rd person, there is unfortunately no way to get the 360 degree free rotation out of the right stick, which really should be allowed in my opinion.

The most disappointing thing so far is the lack of an actual simulation damage model. They will let the car look bashed up if you want, but it's only a visual, cars will drive the same after very aggressive driving compared with not. So don't worry, you won't be held accountable for driving people off the road every chance you get. I think this is one feature that really should have been considered for this title, at least for the player to optionally decide to use. Although we also don't see a rewind feature being added either, which is the thing that makes simulation damage not so frustrating to have on.

Another flaw which many have mentioned is the engine noise, and I find myself questioning this as well. They just don't really sound quite like real cars. It does distract a bit from the whole immersion experience to hear something which might be a toy car driving down the road. Maybe cranking up the bass would help a little in this case, but shouldn't be necessary, the cars should just sound right with balanced settings.

The loading times are impressive actually, I think this is the fastest loading racing game I've played. I do have an SSD installed in my PS3, which could account for some of the speed up in loading, so it might not really be a software issue either way. The frame rate is totally solid, I don't ever observe any drops in performance, it's completely smooth through every race, which is basically a must have for any game like this anyway. The car models are alright and rendering is pretty good, though it does feel like they could have pushed things a little higher in the graphic fidelity.

On the default setting, the AI is not too offensive, it will make some technical errors and create passing opportunities even for similarly performing cars. The AI setting can optionally be tweaked to be more aggressive

Overall the feel I get from this racing simulator is one to really kick back with, relax, and enjoy some Motorsport just for the fun of it. It might not meet all my simulation top criteria, but the experience of driving in this game is unique and enjoyable.
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    Gran Turismo is easily the best racing series on consoles, however GT6 is a definite step down from GT5. Things start off positively enough with over 1200 cars (a larger percentage are recycled from Gran Turismo 5, which is fine), far snappier load times (a drag on GT5, let me tell ya), quicker car changes in the garage and even an easier, almost mobile-like layout. The controls are whatGran Turismo is easily the best racing series on consoles, however GT6 is a definite step down from GT5. Things start off positively enough with over 1200 cars (a larger percentage are recycled from Gran Turismo 5, which is fine), far snappier load times (a drag on GT5, let me tell ya), quicker car changes in the garage and even an easier, almost mobile-like layout. The controls are what you would expect from a Gran Turismo title, namely top notch, tight and no surprises. Throw in the amazing tuning options, and you really can tweak out any car to your liking (here's to you Escudo Pikes Peak).
    The differences between GT5 and GT6 range from silly to irksome. While licenses were a sideshow in GT5, they have once again become requisite to pass to move on to the higher ranked races. Seriously, if I just blazed through the Gran Turismo All Stars Championship, must I now go prove that I can corner and corner some more over and over again? Removed from GT6 is the B Driver series of races. While this may come as a welcome change to some, the ability to have my B Driver on auto pilot, and have him win overnight races for me was a sure way to build up cash. In GT6, it's back to the cash grind, however, you can now by credits directly from the PlayStation Store with real money. And frankly I disagree with it costing upwards of $150 to buy a 20-million credit car (of which there were a handful in GT5, namely the Red Bull car). Finally, it seems like less of a focus on racing, and more gimmicky things. Purists aside, the pull of Gran Turismo was to be able to tune your car to mammoth proportions, and use raw power to win more challenging races against sharper AI. In GT6, all races have a PP cap, so it is possible to out-tune the competition, but it is limited. And while I don't want the game to be flat out easy, I do think that the PP limitations are better served in Online and Seasonal Events...like GT5.

Final Rundown: Despite the too much grind, too much gimmick, GT6 is an expected addition to the best racing series around. However, it is a measurable step down from GT5. I certainly wouldn't advise spending the full $60 on the game (which I did), but I would gladly go purchase GT5: XL Edition for its now $20 new price tag.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    More like GT 5.1, this is another serious disapointment of this great franchise!

Poliphony Digital needs to sit down, give up his pride away, and learn and take notes from other rivais, like Forza Motorsports. It is no shame or bad, in order to improve all must see and learn the good things from the others! It is the basic rule of evolution! GT6 is exactly the same, nothing has

GT6 is exactly the same, nothing has changed over this LONG years.

- Same horrible sound (like screwdrivers or digital hair dryers) all cars sounds pretty mutch the same, and all car lovers know damn well that is not the really of the case.

It´s one of the most crucial and appealing things in the motorsports world.

And Poliphony is lying to all the fans when they say that it is going to be correctetd with a day one Patch upgrade... FALSE!!! LIES!!

- There are stunning graphics on games even on the PS3, and GT is just BASIC! Horrible and pointy shades, blur, and slowdowns.

- 1200 oe more cars? Are you calling me stupid? 1200 Skins?!

6 or 7 Honda S2000 when 2 does exactly the same point?! 99.9% OF THE PEOPLE ONLY USE THE FINAL AND BEST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Cars that are completly useless on a racing games... WHAT THE F**** FOR??

So in order to maintain this 1200 nonsense you have SKINS, JUST SKINS that are the Standard Models!!

Quality over quantity POLIPHONY, in Forza Motorsports you have a mode that you can get INTO THE CAR AND OPEN THE BONNET TO SEE THE AMAZING ENGINE BAY!! LEARN!!

Just one more thing.. Tons and Tons of CONCEPT CARS?! Cars that where never actually made and tested, never got out of the clay and wood module, and POLIPHONY DIGITAL and a true and "the real simulation driver" can IMAGINE AND SUPOSE how the car, exactly performes.... this is pathetic... and insulting!

- Driver Licences?! AGAIN!? 50 minutes to have a pretty decent car?! WTF!!! Quality over Quantity!!

- Costumizations....I have my own FD and FC and I can go to a track day with my Custom job in it!!! EVOLVE!!

- AND OF COURSE....DAMAGE!!! DAMAGE PEOPLE!!!! STOP THIS REWARDING THE INSANE DRIVE POLICY!!!

A CAR CAN AND WILL BREAK!!! The engane will blow out! A tire will Explode, a bumber if TOUCH not banged will break..it fiber GLASS!!! It is simply too mutch, there were already too many years since ALL GAMES Arcade of simulation that had improved the damage sistem pretty solidly...but NOT POLIPHONY DIGITAL!

In adiction to this amazing package, is that

GT6 has LOST options or funcions, like Course Maker and B-Spec

... Why take things of instead the opposite?!

- Moon Buggy?!..... !?!..

There is so mutch to do and areas of improvement, like online:

Ex. Why not make Co-Op or Switch of with friends (online) on Endurance Races? Like on Le Mans Drivers do?!

So mutch to improve, and almost nothing to show..

NOTE: Make no mistake, GT6 is the best simulation car Franchise on PS...and it is the only one.. Your are stuck in time!! EVOLVE!! Like many many great Jap Franchises and companies, they all where surpassed by the Europian, American and British game makers because of the same fact......EVOLUTION!!! EVOLVE!! SWALLOW YOU GOD THAM JAPANESE PRIDE!!!! JAPs Stuck in time (ONCE WHERE KINGS): - K.O.F. - F.F. - P.E.S. - CAPCOM - D. M. C. - Sillent Hill - Resident Evil - Tekken - KONAMI had Better and Brighter days (exept for now MGS) - Nintendo!!! All mighty.. - and a legion more of JAPs that failed to Evolve POLIPHONY.....EVOLVE FAST!!! Don´t let your fans down and make patches updates and correct this game fast...don't let us down! Again. Or I or WE will Buy an Xbox and play the ever evolving Forza Motorsports!!
  8. Dec 6, 2013
    It's largely the same game that it has been for years, with the added benefit that most of the really interesting new features will come at some indeterminate time in the future via patch.

Gran Turismo has fallen a long way, or perhaps it's more that it hasn't really moved that much and the rest of the world has passed it by. It's really only saved by the sheer volume of content that it provides and the fact that there's no serious competition on the same console. I don't expect that to be the case for much longer, the time is ripe for another Enthusia to step up and give a challenge.
  9. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GT6 is the best racing game by far this game is so realistic it actually looks like your driving in person thats how good the game is it has improved a lot since the last copy GT5 which was also really good but this is way better the cars look ike the real ones which we drive in our country it must have took a awful lot of time to make this game and it has paid off as it is the most amazing racing game by far and it gives a tough competition to FORZA which is on the xbox and is also a racing game bu personally i think GT6 is the most realistic and best first player racing game by far to give you a challenge you could play online to give all the people a tough competition .So i recommend you to buy this game!. Expand
  10. Dec 8, 2013
    i bought the game on release day but only found time to play it in the last couple of days. i think i have enough to go on... so here is my take on it.
    first of all, i played GT5 a lot. i got to level 40 in a-spec and b-spec, owned every car, got back to it once i bought my G27 wheel and thoroughly enjoyed it. however GT6 is GT5. there is about 20% new content: same 8-9 hundred miatas and skylines from the previous release (which in turn had about 80% of its cars from GT4). 3 years later, it looks and feels exactly the same, for better or worse. the GT series feels stale and dated, and after having played more serious sims, it doesn't even compare as far as realism and physics are concerned. its definitely not 'the real driving simulator' but more like 'the real marketing simulator'. boasting about 1200 cars has gotten really tired and various iterations of the same track won't really fool veterans of the franchise. i think kazunori yamauchi sold out a long time ago since sony's marketing dept. is dictating the direction of the franchise... and its failing to innovate or even capture the essence of racing.
    i have yet to try the game w/ my G27, but i hope they fixed the degrees of rotation and steering lock when passing the wheel through centre.
    it just feels really, really stale... and is gonna feel even more stale if it ever comes out on PS4. its time for PD/kaz to stop resting on their laurels and actually reinvent this franchise before it falls victim to more self-important marketers.
  11. Dec 9, 2013
    I have the whole GT series, I also use a G27 & play "Other" racing titles on PC/Xbox360 (Not Forza)
    I have the "Anniversary Edition" of GT6 & just about the only things that are better than GT5 are the quicker menus & loading, the graphics are only slightly better & there was already nothing wrong with the car handling in GT5 so I struggle to get my head round all the "Hype" it's getting & finally we get Spa & Mt Panorama without having to pay extra for it as I resent spending more on a game I've already paid £59.99 for.

Now for the things that in my opinion SUCK:
    The miserly amount of credits for winning races, the frankly horrendous UI looks like a frikkin iPhone app, there is no more "Community" or visible "Friends" list, the re-introduction of licences to progress they were tedious & boring in earlier versions & they're no different now just same old, same old & there's still the same problem with the sound of the cars, not with the engine sound as such that everyone seems to be about but the fact that whenever you go near another car your engine sound disappears completely. Add to this the little things like getting taken to a replay of your race by default & the fact that you can no longer turn the annoying suggested gear notification off in the game options.

Basically all I've got for my £59.99 are the 2 tracks that should have been in the game from the get go, NFS Shift 2 Unleashed on either Xbox 360 or PC is as equally good as "ANY" of the Gran Tourismo series & it's been out ages & is "STILL" as good as GT6 but that's just my opinion......
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    What can I say. I have been playing Gran Turismo since GT2, and this has been the biggest disappointment I have had. I loved every other rendition of the series but this fell flat for me. I don't know if it is that I have been pampered with Forza but I see no advancement in this game whatsoever, and feel more like this is a slide back for Polyphony, I have played these tracks before,What can I say. I have been playing Gran Turismo since GT2, and this has been the biggest disappointment I have had. I loved every other rendition of the series but this fell flat for me. I don't know if it is that I have been pampered with Forza but I see no advancement in this game whatsoever, and feel more like this is a slide back for Polyphony, I have played these tracks before, and see little or no improvement from GT5, if not even from GT4. The graphics are on par with what I received from Forza 1, but that was almost 10 years ago. It is really depressing because I really want to like this game. It was the GT series that brought me into racing games. I spent my time recovering from heart surgery playing GT5 non-stop. What is sad is that I constantly have the urge to just jump over to Forza 5 (which was the sole reason I bought an X-Box one for) even though it is very limited in cars and tracks.

I will not compare this game to Forza 5 though. They are completely different generations, but Forza 4 is not. GT6 does not feel like a true racing sim anymore. I have gotten use to the level of detail that turn 10 puts into the behavior of the cars, their responsiveness, and the level of skill required to truly master driving them. Each car handles completely different and you need to get used to it, but GT6 does not. What is the use of having thousands of cars if they all feel the same. I also find myself falling back into old lazy driving habits in GT6 due to little or no consequences for dirty driving. Hit a car, it is alright, your car still performs correctly.

As for the courses. These feel like the same ones I have been playing since GT4 with the same feel and environments surrounding them. I don't find myself amazed at the views like I do when I am racing on Forza 4 at times, because there is no sense that I am looking at the real view I would get if I was on this racetrack. As for environment, I am still up in the air.

I am still excited about some of the prospects of GT6, especially with the upcoming gps tracking ability that will allow me to drive around town and create race courses with it, but I would have thought that GT6 would have been better than this.
  13. Dec 29, 2013
    The GT series has been going downhill since GT2. Compared to Forza the handling is slightly better especially the modelling for inertia but the racing and gameplay is lacking. Most GT6 races are simple overtake all the cars to win much like a challenge from GT5. You are always the fastest but are just trying to make all the overtakes before the flag falls. It never feels competitive. WhatThe GT series has been going downhill since GT2. Compared to Forza the handling is slightly better especially the modelling for inertia but the racing and gameplay is lacking. Most GT6 races are simple overtake all the cars to win much like a challenge from GT5. You are always the fastest but are just trying to make all the overtakes before the flag falls. It never feels competitive. What ruined it for me was the online challenges. I barely got my novice licence when I completed a few challenges and got millions of credits. That took away all the fun of the fighting for the small upgrade that will allow you to get to the next race up. Again GT2 had a great balance but GT6 is very poor. Last but not least the cars don't sound right. If this was a super NES I would forgive it but it isn't and I cant. Someone said GT6 cars sound like vacuum cleaners and they are not far off the mark. Forza is ahead here but all genres could improve in this area.

Overall disappointing but consistent, could do a lot better with fresh blood. If you own 5 then don't waste your money on 6 just for slightly better handling cars.
  14. Jan 21, 2014
    Gran Turismo 6 is definitely a quality game. You get a nice driving simulation as always and a fantastic selection of cars. The problem is that the tracks are nearly all the same and the game feels just the same as Gran Turismo 5. It can be enjoyable if you are bored and don't have much else to do. However, if you do not have a steering wheel for your ps3, don't get the game. It is just soGran Turismo 6 is definitely a quality game. You get a nice driving simulation as always and a fantastic selection of cars. The problem is that the tracks are nearly all the same and the game feels just the same as Gran Turismo 5. It can be enjoyable if you are bored and don't have much else to do. However, if you do not have a steering wheel for your ps3, don't get the game. It is just so dry and repetitive. Without the added spice of a steering wheel, you will get bored very quickly playing it. Expand
  15. May 3, 2014
    Let's resume that quickly, this is Gran Turismo 5.5 . Nothing Else, an upgrade. I would like to be the same thrill that was when i switched from Gran Turismo 2 to 3.
  16. Apr 17, 2014
    Somehow better and somehow worse than GT5.
    The cars handle better, but there's no B-spec mode.
    The designers are a-holes though...why force me to use racing hard tyres in a bloody wet weather race? Game devs must really hate their job to pour so much hate our way.
    Thankfully the microtransactions are not in-yer-face.
    Roll on GT7.
  17. Jul 6, 2014
    3 years...waiting and these changes to this kind of game...WHY? New graphics, 100+ cars, more tracks but still the same game as GT5. Disappointment. I expected more for this game. Still btw it's not bad game(it's a still excellnt game) but it still 7/10
  18. Feb 17, 2014
    Disappointing, but still a good Gran Turismo experience
    Disappointing, but still a good Gran Turismo experience
    The Gameplay has become more realistic with it's new physics engine, making the driving feel more like you're driving the car, I even like that if you go off track, the car will get dirtier, HUGE improvement, Sadly, doesn't apply in all cars. The Moon missions even emulate the gravity in the moon, the coffee break challenges give a nice opportunity to have fun with your own car. But.... Some of the cars don't look good, it gets worse with it's awful traction sounds, I was like..."That is not how a Bugatti Veyron sounds like" The graphics look more downgraded than GT5, the shadows look worse and it looks less bright. Still no damage, Really? THIS IS PS3!
    The huge dealership is a better improvement, easier to find a car you need, the career mode is even better.
    The arcade mode SUCKS, only a small selection of cars, less custom features for your race and less racers. 8 instead of 16 in your race.
    Overall, if you're a racing fan with a PS3, Stick with 5, this is a disappointment, but still, this game is good, just good.
  19. Jan 22, 2015
    I'm sorry but this game is plain inadequate. The worst thing about GT6 is the sound: a lot of cars share the same generic engine noises and most of the time they sound like hairdryers and lawnmawners. Ford GT sounds absolute shiet. I spent like a month and a half on this game, I'm not saying it's bad or anything... it's just that there are so many better racing games out there...
  20. Ozy
    Nov 5, 2014
    Gran turismo is the best race simulator you can find out there. Must have a wheel for the absolute experience. What i hate is everything other than the actual racing. The game menu's online menu's waiting time - just the overall set out of the menus really suck! No jokes, if i were to sit down now for an online race, it would take me at least an hour before im actually racing. Why? wellGran turismo is the best race simulator you can find out there. Must have a wheel for the absolute experience. What i hate is everything other than the actual racing. The game menu's online menu's waiting time - just the overall set out of the menus really suck! No jokes, if i were to sit down now for an online race, it would take me at least an hour before im actually racing. Why? well either i have to work on my car, win money to by a new car, find a game online, join a group who are about to finish up, etc etc etc. I hate to say this but GT needs some sought of arcade online racing - the shuffle race was good where is it now? Apart from taking the game seriously - it really needs a simple side too. Gamers should be able to sign on and race as quickly as COD online. Expand
  21. Dec 8, 2013
    I approached this game with a mite trepidation, as three years ago I picked up GT5 with a sense of what should have been greatness, let down by a game that whilst was anything but terrible, certainly did not justify the wait, and destroyed the expectations of what should have been at least, for myself alone.

GT5 was, and still is, a massive heap of flaws and contradictions, with some

GT5 was, and still is, a massive heap of flaws and contradictions, with some of the legendary game in their somewhere, but only a small amount.

The good news then, is that GT6 is almost a return to greatness read:almost!! I feel that it still isn't that game we were promised after GT4, but I'll get to that in time.

Presentation: the menus are much easier to work-around this time, and are much better laid-out. Load times for races can be slightly long sometimes, and there is a one gig patch to install when taking the game online oh, and the sound is a major issue, but there's nothing that gets in the way of the gameplay too much.

Graphics: in few words, generally excellent. they're sharp, and dependent upon the options you choose, there can either be slight tearing or frame rate stutter, but the detail, and the lighting are awesome. The cars are wonderfully portrayed, and most of all, there's that classic GT sense of "sway" or "motion" when controlling the cars, that no other driving game quite has it adds weight to the action, and provides that extra sense of feedback to the controller.

Sound: happily, the overused jazzy tunes have gone and have made way for some guitar-led tracks, but unhappily the sounds of the cars in the game is really quite banal. I know that when you're in a car you wouldn't quite hear the engine as you'd want to at times (well, perhaps if you own a Shelby Cobra or Aston Martin!!), but hey, couldn't we have a little throaty roar? Quite disappointing really.

Gameplay: and now, this is the reason you should be playing this, or even contemplating picking it up from the shelves!! Its the same great driving you've always loved, albeit just improved with a few tweaks here and there. Perhaps the real beauty of the game is that Polyphony bless them, have realised that once the game engine was updated as much as it needed to be, then it should be left-alone completely, and the front-end and other gameplay options should be tended to. For example, the licenses now are over in minutes, and are only designed to push your driving skills to the point needed that's it. No more endless dirges of multiple sections to pass!! Another thing that must be added, is that for the first time (since GT3 certainly), there's a sense of something else in the game fun. It makes you want to play it, and the cold and sterile approach of GT4 has largely gone (I know it was something that GT5 tried to and failed).

Overall: Gran Turismo 6 (to give it its full name) is a lot of fun, and even if now its as fashionable as a pair of blue denim jeans, and even if its staid old traditions are somewhat harsh to some, then its all the better for them. A really good enduring, welcome back to the past.

1. Mar 4, 2014
    In some ways GT6 feels like a robust expansion pack, but there are enough general improvements and additions that you'll find this release makes GT5 obsolete. A fine return to form at the tail end of the generation.
  2. Without a doubt the best GT in the series thus far, but held back by aging game design and time-delayed DLC features. [January 2014, p70]
  3. Feb 13, 2014
    Gran Turismo 6 continues the familiar path, not taking any risks but delivering solid, fun driving experience. Standard cars still really need a major update though. [Jan 2014]