7.5

1. Nov 30, 2011
    This is the most over rated game ever. REALLY 98? User score tells more about this game... This is like every other GTA, boring after few days. Rockstar has paid for those 100 metascore givers.
  2. Apr 3, 2011
  3. May 18, 2011
    Why is this game rated the best PS3 game ever? Are you serious? This game deserves max 3, but I give it 0 to counter all those pointless 10's. I do not reccomned this game at all, unless you need some sandbox game to drive around and screw some stuff, if you want a story, it's not a good game.
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is too over rated.
    98? No... This game, as a GTA, is disappointing. And very much. This game is basic. Yeah, it may have be liked by critics because it was sandbox, but, yeah, nothing more. It has a good amount of bugs and lags, and all the things you can do are bugged. At least on PS3 and PC. I don't know on XBOX360.

I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is
    not GTA. Do we want to talk about the story? It is definitely one of the most boring and lame stories in videogames history. IMO.

Well, I think that I'm generous giving it a 3.
  5. Jun 7, 2013
    I hate giving 0's but theres something about this game. Its playability is minimal nevermind the concept of replayability. Graphically it's a treat, that aside, it's mediocre.
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form. Strip it down and it's a compilation of half-ass mini-games separated by a gigantic, but hollow, hub world. Expand
  7. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  8. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things like dating had me restless. I tried, thinking that it would eventually click for me, but while the environment was technically impressive, I found that the game wasn't the kind of escapist entertainment I play video games for. I even tried the DLC to see if those picked up the pace, and I just flat wasn't having fun.

I know some folks love it, and that's great. It just wasn't the right game for me.
  9. Apr 6, 2013
    GTA IV is such an utter disappointment i was just sad as a long time fan of GTA since PS2 days the series is really messed up now just like Metal Gear Solid the only way to fix these problems is to stop making games first of all im really shocked about how it got so many 10/10's for such a sh**ty game rockstar must have bribed these greedy a*****es for these reviews
  10. May 27, 2013
    So, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat out obnoxious in my opinion. Tommy Vercetti was friggin' cool, Bellic is a pansy by comparison.
    It's great as a tech demo. I can't fault Rockstar for getting the detail of the city down, but it just feels there's less to do. It's a crazily detailed city, but hell you can't even Vigilante in this one.
    I hope GTA V isn't just another tech demo like this one was.
  11. Jul 27, 2013
    +first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime
    -No other environment than the City.

Sorry, but 98 is just ridicolous. Im a huge GTA fan, but this GTA is not good in my opinion
  12. Mar 27, 2011
    At first, the game is fun and the story gets pretty simple. But when you get further, it gets boring, the characters get annoying, and the story is so difficult. When you lose and have to start over everytime, you'll be hitting your head against the wall, turn it off, and break it in half. The driving controlls suck, it feels like it has a mind of it own that I will be flying out of the windshield again and again. I really hate the characters, they think their cool and badass, but MY GOD their so annoying I mute the TV. The multiplayer is boring, I turn it off and play "Uncharted 2". I have know idea why so many people love this game so much, they say "Its so amazing, its Grand Theft Auto!" I now know why they love and defnd it. They defend it because it has "Grand Theft Auto" written on the cover, and they think any game that is titled "Grand Theft Auto" means its a great game. Its a horrible game and I want my money back! Expand
  13. Aug 27, 2011
    Completely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. In addition, the story is never fleshed out. Niko is here to find some person, but that is never pursued, and he seems to be trying to be legit, but that never happens. GTA 4 is imbalanced and boring, and is easily one of the worst games I have every played. Expand
  14. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is a piece of **** I bet all of the reviewers were paid to give GTA 4 a 10. "Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money." I AGREE WITH YOU http://www.metacritic.com/user/ElectricPhase "This game is too repetitive. You go and talk with one man, he want to kill someone. You kill the guy, and ok it's done. The game is always this. Graphics aren't the best, playstation have better graphics to offer. Some crashes around the game made me put this game away, I sold it 5$. Really bad game". ALSO AGREE WITH Horrendously boring. It was fun for like 5 minutes! Just like the rest of the GTA games. The story i found boring and the online is terrible! Worst online expierience ive ever had. Worst 40 quid I have ever spent. Wish I gave this one a pass and just bought MGS4 on its own instead Expand
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is a summary for those who don’t want to read the whole review (the review contains spoilers).
    +Very Strong Opening
    + (At the time it was released) Good Graphics, but that is not worth shouting about as graphics quickly become out of date.
    +Mini games (e.g. bowling) are well pulled off.
    -Very repetitive missions, with next to no variety making the game boring, as you go to a location kill someone/or collect something, 50 times.
    -Virtually no customisation, which makes your character feel no different from start to finish, reducing the level of fun.
    -Very annoying aspects like terrible driving.
    -Boring combat
    -Very average story, with limited variety.

In short buy Saints Row 2, Sleeping Dogs or even Gta San Andreas, these games are far superior, and are more fun. Gta 4 is worth a rental at most.

Full Review
    The start of the game is very strong, as you become immersed in wanting to find out about Niko Bellic and how he struggles to find the “American Dream”. The graphics (at the time it was released) were of good quality, giving the game the look of a next generation grand theft auto game.

However you quickly realise that the game falls flat on nearly every level.

One of the annoyances of the game you will notice very quickly is the driving, which while fun at first, proves to be a dump on your front door step. This is because all vehicles feel very similar and under steer like or if you apply too much throttle over steer like they were on ice. The use of toll gates and crashing every five seconds resulting in you falling out the windscreen, only serve as the bits of sweet corn in the dump on your door step. Such a terrible driving system, further serves as a reminder of how much Rockstar have removed from San Andreas, because the driving in that was insane and FUN.

Another annoyance is how there is nothing to spend your money making it pointless. Unlike in previous games where you could buy property and businesses making you feel like a bad ass overlord, in Gta 4, you can buy clothes, a few guns (less than you could get in Gta San Andreas) and food. This is something you will notice as it adds to the lack of depth in Niko, as his primary motive is money, yet he can’t spend it on anything so what is the point, in him risking his arse every 5 seconds.

Another of the many annoyances is the character interaction. Your uncle (Roman) is one the most annoying characters in gaming history, constantly being a little Jacob is a walking, talking serotype as is Packie, (and his whole family). However the worst character (unfortunately) is the one you play as (Niko). He is basically a black stale, and while Rockstar tried to add depth to his character by revealing his story of being a former army solider gradually, ultimately it amounts to nothing of interest, demonstrating a lack of depth to his character.

With regards to the story, there is nothing ground breaking here, as it is your standard revenge story, nothing as gripping as Sleeping Dogs which was predictable was still enjoyable. The only really noticeable moment of the story is the choice at the end (Spoiler alert) where you get to choice if Roman dies or Kate dies by undergoing one of two missions prior to the event. However it falls flat, as you want to kill off Roman, but if you do Kate disappeared, making it better to keep the annoying prick (Roman) alive over the only decent character in the story (Kate). Furthermore the choice has no impact on the actually ending, making it rather pointless. I can see where they were going, trying to make it a dark and quite depressing story, but honestly with all the annoyances of Niko, I couldn’t care less about what happens to him. This ultimately means that the story, like the game on the whole, falls flat.

However possible the main problem with the game is how there is NO variety in anything. This can be seen by how in the following areas GTA 4, has limited variety, Missions (in Gta4 you virtual go from location to location killing people, with minimal challenge as the Enemy A.I have a tendency to just peek out of cover exposing their heads making for easy head shots or suicide charge; and no build up. In San Andreas there while Enemy A.I is retarded the variety of missions make up for it), Customisation (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you could get tattoos, haircuts, and tons of clothes; in Gta4 you can only buy a limited number of clothes), Vehicles (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you had tons of vehicles and planes, in Gta4 there is only like 3 helis and no planes). This lack of variety makes it so it feels that Rockstar removed all of what made San Andreas so great, and replaced it with mediocrity dullness.

All these mind-numbing elements ultimately make the game annoying without enough irritations to make you turn it off. This, from a studio that gave us games like Max Payne 3, Bully etc., amounts to a great disappointment.
  16. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments
    are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  17. Oct 24, 2013
    How do you morons like this game. It is gloomy and the cars make walking become fun because they suckkkkkkkk. Give this game to someone obese and they will walk to return it.
  18. Sep 14, 2010
    So um... where should i start. Oh yes Graphs are pretty decent with full hd screen.
    and....... that was probably all the good stuff. OH YES you can drive over people that's fun :D
    OK where should i start. 1. story was not that good you come in and when you think this is the middle of the game BANG the game ends. 2. controls. I know they wanted to make a realistic game but they failed at
    it. running is irritating as **** driving sucks now days and you wont die. like you wont die in 300 Km/h you crash to the wall and.... nothing happens. and that is probably all the main here.... OH YES There is yet another good reason to play GTA 4 after all. When you play it for 20 minutes, you just want to play more and more and more of the older gta games :D Expand
  19. Sep 17, 2011
    compared to the other GTA games this is boring, dull, depressing, and just plain stupid. knowing that rockstar can make amazing games like LA noire, san andreass, and GTA 3 but they have hit rock bottom with this stinker. Rockstar, you dissapoint me.
  20. Jan 21, 2012
    Are you guys kidding me saying this is one of the best games ever for one the game is wayyyyy too dark and yes i have adjusted the settings I do not understand why everyone wants open world all the time yes i enjoy some open world games but this one blew i enjoyed saints row and dead island a thousand times more
  21. Feb 10, 2012
    A sad disappointment in the franchise, after the sheer brilliance of Vice City and thorough playability of San Andreas GTA IV is a bland, grey affair. The main character is as dull as the palette of the game which begs for the neon of Vice City or the rich colours of San Andreas. The attempts to make the driving more realistic sucks the fun out roaring round Liberty City (which looked better in the original PS2 game) and the pointless online addition brings nothing to the game. Thanks heavens Saints Row picked up the mantle and ran with it Expand
  22. Jun 28, 2012
    I don't understand how this game is so high on gamerankings.com. Sure it's impressive visually and its got online modes. However, those are the only two good factors. This game is overrated. It feels like a beta. The controls a clunky and the character moves sluggishly. The storyline is decent and the voice acting is GTA quality. This isn't my favorite GTA. I have a feeling GTA5 will improve a lot! Expand
  23. May 10, 2013
    Just another perfect example of great games coming onto next-gen and then they suddenly change it by making it so realistic (not as in graphics but gameplay). You can't get tanks, you can't buy safe houses, no vehicle customization, no aeroplanes or jets, no food options, so many things you can in the other GTA games but not in this, probably because the fact you can't do them in reality, still no checkpoints in missions, the missions are unimaginative and boring, nothing really unrealistic, no robbing, no other things, how bland and boring is that? no raiding things, or big ship missions and no other things as well and non that include starting a big firefight, other than that bank mission in this game. This game takes itself way too seriously and way too much like reality, you can't simply start a massive fight with the cops and army and have fun with it and do other fun things. You can't simply do things to earn lots of money, but then again why do I bother? Not much things to spend on. Not even garages to store your vehicles. Having to hang out and play about with friends in this games gets very repetitive and boring, not much clothes to get from store, no gambling. This games gets very boring and I have many other reasons for hating this game as well but lost track of. As for the weapons, NO chainsaw, no flamethrower, no sword, and other missing weapons. I don't understand what's so good about this game and HOW is it better than the rest? Yes, this is my opinion but you got to agree that Rockstar has changed and become like typical developers who wants their game so much like reality. Don't you agree that Rockstar has stripped away so much with GTA IV from the previous games? You probably do really like this game, but there is no way you can consider this the best GTA game. Expand
  24. Jun 13, 2013
    I don't find this entertaining and fun. I don't mind the ability to steal cars and stuff but I don't know why it got 98/100 that is just ridiculous. But a game to keep in mind is....................WATCH DOGS!!! you can steal cars and hack and control literally anything! The game isn't out yet but it is definantly going to be better than this!
  25. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is completely and utterly terrible. Its boring and repetitive and ridiculously frustrating. The only thing I liked was the city. Liberty City breathes and feels real, That's the only thing I like about this game, other then that, it's simply terrible and a waste of money. Even the textures are terrible for its time.
  26. Oct 26, 2013
    It's simply a not enough game. Never understand why this game got such score like 98. The graphics may look improved, but the gameplay elements are horrid. There is nothing but pure randomness in storyline. I shouldn't have bought this.
  27. Feb 8, 2014
    I can not actually write a proper review addressing the game content because I could not reach the mission destination due to the terribly awful driving system of the game
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    I cannot understand how this game is universally acclaimed. For starters, it has way too many flaws. The story is good, but that's the point - the game's all story and no gameplay, to the point that you have to create the gameplay yourself by going and smashing stuff up, diverging from the plot. And as a story gamer, that is something I simply can't do - Early in the game it destroys Nico's character. In addition, the car controls are awful - it feels like I'm driving on a black-ice rink. The missions are boring too - it's just "go drive somewhere and wach a cutscene" or ""take this girl out on a date". In a game like GTA, I want ACTION, not boring stuff like this. I bought this game, expecting something amazing. But what I got was something very, very boring. Grand Theft Auto IV is thoroughly boring and hideously overrated. I might as well play Saints Row, it's the same gamee but done right! Expand
  29. Feb 25, 2014
    This the most over rated game to recent memory. I couldn't even finish the damn game it was so **** boring. I mean seriously wtf happened San Andreas and Vice City were so epic funny and awesome. Lets start with the Posatives. the world feels alive and realistic probably the most acurate adaptation of New York City. Plus it has that good American Dream story. Negatives. The Graphics are awful Resident Evil 4 had better graphics and that was on the PS2. Niko is so **** boring Johnny Gat is a way more interesting and fun character. It has a terrible cover system and a god awful shooting mechanic. And last but not least these radio stations suck complete ass I mean wtf happened SA and VC had way better stations. Saints Row 2 has better stations too. As i began with this review this is the most over rated game to date. Expand
  30. Mar 21, 2014
    This game has the worst controls. I was terribly disappointed with the vehicle dynamics and controls. If any mission involves a vehicle chase, i just keep cursing the game controls and show a lot of misplaced anger towards my controller. Missions with bike chases are even more dreadful. I have given a 'three' rating for the exciting game-world with a lot happening around. The random characters and side-missions are pretty good, even though i miss the taxi/ambulance/firefighting missions. The story-line is pretty bland and so are most of the characters. The nature of missions are also somewhat boring, repetitive and monotonous. This in no way comes close to the quality and excitement of vice city and san andreas missions. The 'Friendship' and 'Dating' activities were interesting at the start but became too irritating as we get more indulged with the missions. Expand
  31. Jun 2, 2014
    Genuine proof that Metacritic is bought and paid. How the hell did they earn this kind of rating for a GTA game? Not to mention this is undoubtedly the worst in a series that reached its peak with GTA 2.
  32. Aug 8, 2014
    Worst game in the Franchises history. I was having fun for about the first 12 hours and then I got bored. I had to force myself to pick it back up just to beat it. NOTHING to do after the story mode, ZERO replay value.

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]