7.5

1. Oct 2, 2010
    After playing GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was hard to imagine being swept away again by another GTA game but man does this game deliver. The story, the characters, the setting and the game world are so well crafted and put together it's nice to see some developers still take time to prepare their works and not just milk a franchise with yearly releases.
  2. ENOUGH!!
    Jan 16, 2009
    It's GTA with shiny new graphics, hilarious ragdoll physics (Crash your car at sixty miles per hour on the free way towards oncoming traffic; priceless), and a gripping new storyline filled with the usual GTA nutjobs and ingenious voice acting. That, and the radio stations are as sarcastic and satirical as ever. Go buy it; it has tons of mileage for your money.
  3. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  4. mikes
    Apr 25, 2009
    I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and I'm seeing a lot of dumb comments about people claiming to know "the truth" about gta4...because obviously this is just some big conspiracy by all the game reviewers to trick you into buying a bad game! no, artards gta4 is a great game and you are just incapable of seeing it. even worse though is your attitude that the reviews, all 64 reviews from different magazines websites and newspapers, are somehow rigged. Maybe they all got together and thought as a laugh they would give gta4 great ratings to trick you into buying it. idiots, this game got great ratings cause it deserved it. GTA4 is an amazing game, don't listen to those noobs who downrated it cause they sucked to hard to beat the campaign. Expand
  5. JoelS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not The game is amazing...Initially I was just playing it story wise until my friend got over to my place. He just likes jacking cars and running down people and getting into fights with the police. Did find some cool stuff out about the game from the three hours he did that. Cars take realistic damage when you hit things. When I say realistic I mean it and it is specific to the area hit. Not just something that says "you got into an accident and the front end of the car was damaged so lets make the front end damaged." I mean more like if you hit a stationary post it will crease the car right where you hit it. Another cool thing is bullet holes stay where bullet holes are made and say you are driving the car and get shot, there will be a blood splatter pattern made on the inside of the windshield. The city is more "alive" than any other game I have ever played. More people walking the streets. More people having random conversations. Once my friend took off finally at 10 I got a good three hours of story mode in. Cinematics and voice acting are top notch. Story keeps you wanting to play the missions. There's only been one downside to the game and I've only experienced it when driving around killing people and running from the cops. Every so often you will get the game to "hang" for a few seconds. I don't know if it is a loading issue or a too many artifacts on the screen and the processor is having a hard time keeping up issue. I do know from what I have heard that the PS3 version of the game runs a lot smoother than the XBox 360 version. Apparently that version has frame rate drops and the whole nine yards. This was noted by video game magazine and online site reviews by actual reviewers and not just fanboys of the PS3. Might be the reason that Microsoft spent 50 some odd million getting it so the 360 version was the only one with downloadable content for a year or so...I'm sure eventually the downloadable content will reach the PS3 version. There was a rumor started by who I am guessing is a PS3 fanboy that said something different though. That the only reason the 360 version had downloadable content was because they couldn't fit all of the game onto one disc like they could for the PS3 thanks to the blu-ray discs having more storage space. Like I said though, probably started by some fanboy for the PS3...Seems like there are always going to be people that choose one system over the other. If I had the extra money laying around I'd probably pick up a 360 but I have better things to put my money towards. Oh, forgot to mention that one of the new features with Grand Theft Auto 4 that I don't really care for is the GPS in the game. Kinda takes away the fun when all you have to do is go to the map and place a marker where you want to go and and all you have to do after that is follow the green line on the little circular map on the screen to get to your destination. I do like the addition of the cell phone except for the fact that you will sometimes pop it up when you're trying to switch weapons but I am guessing that will go away once I learn all of the functions of the controller and where everything is located. And just like with the other Grand Theft Auto games you can only access certain areas and if you try to go over a bridge that takes you to a new part of the city you will come across a line of cop cars and cops with their guns pulled ready to fire on you. They at least gave it a better reason why this time around. They went with the more recent war on terror aspect. Something we all know. The area is blocked thanks to a terror alert. They did incorporate the six axis controller into the game fairly effectively but frustratingly as well. Using the six axis to reload weapons, drive motorcycles, drive boats...That's all good and dandy but just wait until you try controlling a helicopter with the six axis controller. Talk about a pain in the behind. After playing the game for awhile you unlock the Six Axis Tutorial which you can access from your cell phone. I tried it like four or five times and when it gets to the point where you're supposed to land the helicopter I fail miserably. I'm sure with a few more tries I'll be able to get it down but if you want to try it out you better have a steady hand. I'm going to be stubborn with this one as well and keep the six axis ability turned on. Of course you can do all the things the six axis does using just the analog sticks but I want to get the six axis function down better so it helps in other games. Overall I would like to be able to give this game a 10 because it's as close to perfection as they come but thanks to the game freezing a few times (it does recover after a few seconds) I can only give it a 9. Graphics = 10 Gameplay = 9 Sound = 10 Cinematics = 10 Over-all fun factor = 10. Expand
  6. ThomasH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nice game with a lot of opportunities. but, but, but.... it got framrate drops, and the graphics are not amazing. Then 10/10 can´t e reached, but 9/10 is also a high rating.
  7. TheMan
    Jun 26, 2009
    The best game game of all time, missions are a blast, the story is extremely confounding and the characters bring a strong sense of nostalgia towards the gaming Industry. It really is hard to believe that gta is over 10 years old and this game sets the gold standard for any competitor willing to follow.
  8. RhienS.
    Dec 5, 2008
    An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by An amazing game, and despite all theese users going against the grain, its a must buy! It utilises the power of all the next gen consoles and looks fantastic graphic wise. The gameplay it self is like being kissed by an angel, and in that i mean there is nothing bad about it (other than a few frame rate issues). The gameplay mechanics are amazing, it has a fantastic storyline and is by far hands down the best game i have played on a next gen console. I would suggest you listen to the critics, and go out and buy this game. Expand
  9. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard toThis game is one of the best sandbox games ever. Not the best, but one of the best. Grand Theft Auto IV is fun. Just fun. Pure fun. Though sometimes you may get bored, there still is a billion things to do. The city is so alive and the graphics are great, the car damage is one of the best in any sandbox video game. The handling of the cars, I admit, is not so great. They're just so hard to control, they sway left and right and it sometimes it's incredibly frustrating. The other vehicles besides motorbikes are fine, the main problem is the cars and bikes. The characters and kooky and the is a lot of vulgar language but the story and characters are very interesting. The game is flawed, it isn't perfect but there is tonnes of fun to be had in Liberty City. Expand
  10. Oct 13, 2012
    GTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamersGTA IV is more than a game. It's an experience that goes way beyond button bashing your controller. The story is magnificent but no surprises here. Everyone knows that Rockstar usually nails in this department. Technically the game is flawless for the common gamer (if there's any glitch didn't see it). Not a fan of the Multiplayer though. Other than this GTA IV will remain in gamers memory as a reference and it will be benchmarked by everyone. Expand
  11. Dec 22, 2012
    When I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws IWhen I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws I had with the game were the predictable missions. But none the less, an awesome game 9/10 Expand
  12. JamieC
    Apr 29, 2008
    An epic videogame, surpassed by none so far. Rockstar has created the most sophisticated and entertaining masterpiece I've ever seen or played. A truly amazing experience; every gamer (of age) should have this game. From the opening mission, the game grips with its intriguing story and unrelenting action. An instant classic.
  13. DimaK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Simply put, best game of the last 10 years.
  14. MikeH.
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've played both versions:ps3 and xbox360. The ps3 version edges out the 360 slightly, graphically speaking but gameplay wise, both are incredible games for this generations of hardware.
  15. JamesK.
  16. [anonymous]
    Apr 27, 2008
    One of the best games I ever played. Wow.
  17. MSteinsson
    Apr 28, 2008
    Never saw a game like this before!
  18. BekhanB.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The best game ever made in the PS consoles! Perfect!
  19. MarkK.
    Apr 28, 2008
    The game itself is phenomenal at best. Possibly, the best GTA game of the next gen.
  20. SydneyK.
    Apr 29, 2008
    What else can I say that hasn't already been said. Rockstar deserves a gold star for not having disappointed its loyal fan of the series. It lives up to my expectation and a whole lot more. The plot if funny, whimsical, bizarre, and genuinely Soprano-licious. Simply stated, the game to play on both the XBOX 360 and the PS3 consoles thus far! Bravo, Rockstar.
  21. ChristianG.
    Simply, amazing.
  22. ChrisB.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, I was able to get my game at a local store on Monday afternoon. My only regret is having to go to work Tuesday morning to separate me from this epic masterpiece. This game is the future for the virtual reality medium. Every game developer that tries to create a living virtual world should only hope to capture half of what Rockstar has accomplished in this game. Truly, and unbelievably, has lived up to the massive hype that was placed upon its shoulders. 10/10 and nothing less, nothing compares to this experiece. Cannot wait to get home this afternoon ). Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs ofDespite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  24. AllanM.
    Apr 28, 2008
    Quite simply,.... Rockstar have done it again. Just as they did when GTAIII first came onto the scene for the PlayStation 2 to re-invent the sandbox videogame genre, GTA 4 sets the bar up once again as to what videogame excellence is represents! From the totally believable characters, to the absolutely magnificent graphics, o the improvement to practically every single aspect of the GTA Quite simply,.... Rockstar have done it again. Just as they did when GTAIII first came onto the scene for the PlayStation 2 to re-invent the sandbox videogame genre, GTA 4 sets the bar up once again as to what videogame excellence is represents! From the totally believable characters, to the absolutely magnificent graphics, o the improvement to practically every single aspect of the GTA formula that we all love.... This is simply breathtaking entertainment! 11 out of 10!! Expand
  25. M.Caparelli
    Apr 29, 2008
    After buying this game last night, I truly agree with the critics - its the best game so far this year(and even the best PS3 game ever!). The graphics are stunning, where facial expressions are reflected. Dialogue is great, very original with classic quotes. Gameplay is very realistic - with the new cover system, it makes shooting much easier and realistic. Multiplayer I played briefly, After buying this game last night, I truly agree with the critics - its the best game so far this year(and even the best PS3 game ever!). The graphics are stunning, where facial expressions are reflected. Dialogue is great, very original with classic quotes. Gameplay is very realistic - with the new cover system, it makes shooting much easier and realistic. Multiplayer I played briefly, very addictive. Expand
  26. JamesFrank
    Apr 28, 2008
    The best game I have ever played in my life.
  27. AronS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Wow! I can't stop playing this game I will probably call in sick tomorrow. This is my life now!
  28. JosephM.Stewart
    Jun 23, 2008
    A must buy. Period. It's fun. It's really fun, and stays that way for a long time. You'll want to play it more than you have too. It will take up a lot your time. Most annoying parts (such as outing calls) can be skipped with little negative consequences. Though cars drive very realistically (no more on-a-dime turns at 80mph) it actually is pretty cool, and it doesn'tA must buy. Period. It's fun. It's really fun, and stays that way for a long time. You'll want to play it more than you have too. It will take up a lot your time. Most annoying parts (such as outing calls) can be skipped with little negative consequences. Though cars drive very realistically (no more on-a-dime turns at 80mph) it actually is pretty cool, and it doesn't take much to get used to. Hitting people on the side of the road... priceless. Physics are a pluss and will have you murdering many rude drivers who don't respect pedestrians. Graphics are crazy good for a GTA game, and the cities skyline and bridges look amazing, especially at night. Fun Fact: you can shimmy. Sadly, no airplanes, though the helicopter... yea, it's fun, especially online. Which is fun, in a sort of "Oh no he di'int!" kind of way. Heres a piece advise from me: IGNORE all scores, just buy the game. Yes, it is not perfect, but what game will ever be perfect. This game is perfect enough that if you do not buy it, you better be playing it at your friends house. One of the few new release games that is worth its price. System Wise: I have it on PS3, and my friends have it on XBOX; Both kick butt (except I get free internet XD) If you have a XBOX360, buy it for Xbox, and if PS3, get PS3 version. Seriously, just buy it, you will totally be like, "That guy Joseph was totally right, I wish I could give him a high five." Expand
  29. JoeH.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Quite simply one of the best games ever made. The driving is REALISTIC, and the combat is incredibly refined. If you don't drive like a madman then you won't be smashing into stuff, although that can be pretty fun too. And as for the storyline, it's the most engaging plot I have ever seen in a game. I cared about the characters, and the plot twists really caught me offQuite simply one of the best games ever made. The driving is REALISTIC, and the combat is incredibly refined. If you don't drive like a madman then you won't be smashing into stuff, although that can be pretty fun too. And as for the storyline, it's the most engaging plot I have ever seen in a game. I cared about the characters, and the plot twists really caught me off guard. The decisions you make are also brilliant, because you don't really know which way is the right way to go. They leave it up to you. Just a truly fantastic game overall. Expand
  30. RobB
    Sep 1, 2009
    this is the best game ever.being a gamer since the days of the bbc electron and owning almost every platform released on the market trust me when i say it is that good.to the kids that complain it is to serious this is a mature game for a mature audience if you want to do purile things like spray a trailer park with waste go play saints row 2 (i own,its ok,but no gta4)gameplay 10 graphicsthis is the best game ever.being a gamer since the days of the bbc electron and owning almost every platform released on the market trust me when i say it is that good.to the kids that complain it is to serious this is a mature game for a mature audience if you want to do purile things like spray a trailer park with waste go play saints row 2 (i own,its ok,but no gta4)gameplay 10 graphics 10 lifespan 10 whole packagen 10.buy this work of art you wont regret it!!! Expand
  31. AlexM.
    May 16, 2008
    One of the best games of the genre, it really manages to improve on many issues that plagued the series for quite some time. The story and characters are compelling and interesting, the graphics are very good (but not perfect) and the sound effects and soundtrack are top notch. The new gunplay mechanic works well to make gunfights more interesting and less of a chore, while the realisticOne of the best games of the genre, it really manages to improve on many issues that plagued the series for quite some time. The story and characters are compelling and interesting, the graphics are very good (but not perfect) and the sound effects and soundtrack are top notch. The new gunplay mechanic works well to make gunfights more interesting and less of a chore, while the realistic physics and the phenomenal Euphoria engine give a new like to vehicles and pedestrians alike. The city is probably the best thing about this game, full of details and amazing environmental effects - it truly is the best virtual world ever created for a videogame. GTA IV still has the satire and hilarity that are trademarks of this series, but it tries to get rid of some of the more "arcadey" elements of the past, giving us a grittier story and even eliciting some emotional response from the player. It is not perfect, but it is the best game of this generation so far. Expand
  32. Hans
    Jul 16, 2009
    Probably the best game i've played. Seems a lot of people come with some silly excuses and vote a 0 because they want to feel special and go against the hype. Most gamers aren't capable of being subjective, and that's clearly why metacritic doesn't involve user ratings in the metascore. This game has some of the best graphics, physics and story of any PS3 game, which Probably the best game i've played. Seems a lot of people come with some silly excuses and vote a 0 because they want to feel special and go against the hype. Most gamers aren't capable of being subjective, and that's clearly why metacritic doesn't involve user ratings in the metascore. This game has some of the best graphics, physics and story of any PS3 game, which all deserves a 10. Only negative thing i can think of is that the framerate sometimes goes down quite a bit, which can be annoying. I found the missions quite entertaining, but the majority of the missions follow the "drive to a destination and kill people" formula. Despite the negative things, I'd still give it a 10, partly because the multiplayer is so fun, and the overall entertainment level i got from the game was immense. Expand
  33. alecf
    Sep 29, 2009
    i agree with steve m. this game is truly great. all the little kids that played gta san andreas might be upset because its not as crazy and stupid. this is a mature title with a mature story and characters that are actually interesting. the realism is what makes this game great, if your not looking for realism play saints row 2. however i dont believe it is the best game ever made andi agree with steve m. this game is truly great. all the little kids that played gta san andreas might be upset because its not as crazy and stupid. this is a mature title with a mature story and characters that are actually interesting. the realism is what makes this game great, if your not looking for realism play saints row 2. however i dont believe it is the best game ever made and people going into it expecting it to be might be dissapointed. seriously though if you are mature enough for this title pick it up, you wont be sorry Expand
  34. Chris
    Apr 27, 2008
    I couldn't believe my luck when my copy of GTA IV Special Edition turned up on Saturday morning - 3 days early!! I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since then, and words can't describe how awesome it is. I really AM Niko, I feel for him, and care about what he does, the people he meets and the cops he inevitably has to shoot. I've never been so immersed in a I couldn't believe my luck when my copy of GTA IV Special Edition turned up on Saturday morning - 3 days early!! I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since then, and words can't describe how awesome it is. I really AM Niko, I feel for him, and care about what he does, the people he meets and the cops he inevitably has to shoot. I've never been so immersed in a game before, and I wonder if I ever will again... at least until GTA V. Believe the hype! Expand
  35. SethR.
    Jun 27, 2008
    Anyone who thinks this game sucks, has bad graphics, or is too realistic, must take dick up their anal cavity. Expecially Smq....How could you possibly tihnk a game is too realistic? Thats the whole point of the game you flying fag. Best game ver, bar none OUT!
  36. ArsenKovalevskiy
    Apr 6, 2009
    People who have a negative value to this game, compare it with the big games for consoles, graphics, worse, New York is like, the mission did not like ... Dear, this is DS, and this is the best game on the DS! And the gameplay here because of the more arcade where varied and interesting. Score 10 out of 10.
  37. JamesK.
    Apr 17, 2008
  38. EricPousard
    Apr 26, 2008
    I can't see why this game has a low score when it is not even out yet. I have played every GTA game since number one, and they have all been great. So for all those little girls that give it a bad score, go and play your stupid wii with your grandmother.
  39. jakejohns
    May 6, 2008
    i love all the grand theft auto games, i got all the grand theft auto games for sony systems and i pesonaly think sony should get all gta games as eclusives, but gta4 is the most beautiful, and most impressive i have ever played, and i think rocstar games for that masterpiece of a game
  40. HelloDer
    Apr 22, 2008
    Gotta love the 62 (now 63) people that have scored the game before it has even been released. No way they have gotten their hands on it. I'll give it a 10 just to counter-balance the low scores that people are giving it before they have even played the game.
  41. JamesK.
  42. JamesK.
  43. Richard
    Apr 28, 2008
    Simply the best game I have EVER played!
  44. AndyJ.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Ooo look at Fred and Joel trying to be controversial - a '4' and a '1'?! Talk about attention seeking! Anyways for the rest of you, for once in your life, listen to the hype. No game will ever be perfect, but this game comes pretty damn close.
  45. CrestonO.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Flawless Good all Around gameplay great storyline and multiplayer.
  46. JosephM.
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is the only game that I ever play, period. This is the only reason I bought a PlayStation 3.
  47. WesleyR.
    Apr 27, 2008
    A gripping, polished, beautiful game from start to finish.
  48. AdolfoP.
    Apr 28, 2008
    GTA IV is the best action game ever. The game has beautiful details, nice situations, extraordinary gameplay, sharp humor and great graphics. There are certainly a few minor negatives about the game, but the positive points are just too much. We have one piece of advice: Buy!
  49. JaredS.
    Dec 4, 2008
    There is a reason why critics give this game an average of a 9.8 and the gamers gave it around an 8, and it's the same reason the movies that win Academy awards don't always gross the highest. This game is a triumph of entertainment on every level, not just an introduction of newer and better game mechanics and minigames. The story and characters surpass anything the GTA series There is a reason why critics give this game an average of a 9.8 and the gamers gave it around an 8, and it's the same reason the movies that win Academy awards don't always gross the highest. This game is a triumph of entertainment on every level, not just an introduction of newer and better game mechanics and minigames. The story and characters surpass anything the GTA series has to offer, and stands among other masterpieces of video game storytelling such as Final Fantasy X. But, some gamers just want "bigger, faster, better, more" and the fact that the number of weapons and other gameplay options has been peeled back in favor of a more immersive and cohesive experience leave these fans wanting more. That doesn't mean that GTA: San Andreas is a better game - it's not - but there are more game-y things to do in it. The GTA series has finally come into its own as a game made specifically for adults, both in the maturity of its content and in the depth of character and storytelling. Kids looking for cheap thrills will find more entertainment elsewhere. Expand
  50. BryanS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm loving the gameplay, the story, and the amazing "feel" of the city. They hit this one out of the park!
  51. artist5280lucas38
    May 1, 2008
    I am a 42 year old father of three and this game is definitely not for the kiddies! That said, Grand Theft Auto IV will have its detractors; it wouldn
  52. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this game is perfect everything is just awesome in every department the story the graphics, the gameplay is just perfect the general vibe that the game ends up giving you all together with the freedom it deserves a ten cause it's perfect
  53. JamesK.
    Apr 3, 2008
  54. MattWix
    May 2, 2008
    Absolutely the best game this year, last year, pretty much the last miilenium. Some kind of Holy Being will have to craft the perfect game out of his own frozen brilliance to even come close to the quality of this epic masterpiece. The gra[hics are brilliant, the gameplay damn near perfect and the immersion total. Miss tihs game at your peril, for you will surely die of your own stupidity.Absolutely the best game this year, last year, pretty much the last miilenium. Some kind of Holy Being will have to craft the perfect game out of his own frozen brilliance to even come close to the quality of this epic masterpiece. The gra[hics are brilliant, the gameplay damn near perfect and the immersion total. Miss tihs game at your peril, for you will surely die of your own stupidity. Frankly, it's quality surpasses the level that your brain can comprehend, and in 10000 years we'll have evolved and we'll go 'Wow!' all over again... Expand
  55. EAIsgay
    Apr 16, 2008
    omg uh if u play this game and dont like it please cut your hands off cause you never deserve to game again. ok jk but seriously this game is amazing. the story will be riviting, full of interesting characters, and this time the shooting mechanic wont disapoint. goty no question
  56. JamesK.
  57. DJM
    Apr 30, 2008
    Truly spectacular, haven't tried multiplayer yet, due to PSN's errors, but I'm sure it'll be as addictive as the whole single player campaign. Thanks for this game, Rockstar.
  58. ConradS
    Apr 30, 2008
    There was a lot hype surrounding this game and I believe it was rightfully so. I received my copy today, went home during my lunch hour (I live close to my workplace), when I looked at my watch again 2 hours had passed and I got into a lot of trouble at work - it was worth it. I hope MGS4 is just as succesful as this game as I believe a lot of effort has gone into that as well.
  59. JeffY.
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is the first time I played a GTA game. I have tried the others before, but for some reason, they never appealed to me. GTA4 however, captured me like no game has ever captured me before in the recent years. It's very refreshing and I feel like a total bad ass in new york city. Helps that I live here I guess. This is up there with Zelda Windwaker and God of War as the 3 most This is the first time I played a GTA game. I have tried the others before, but for some reason, they never appealed to me. GTA4 however, captured me like no game has ever captured me before in the recent years. It's very refreshing and I feel like a total bad ass in new york city. Helps that I live here I guess. This is up there with Zelda Windwaker and God of War as the 3 most revolutionary and enjoyable (addictive) games I've played since the new millenium. Expand
  60. EdenH.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Best game of this decade and that's all there is to it.
  61. ClaudiaS.
    Apr 30, 2008
    My addiction level is at "The Weekend has Landed" and I can't put it down. This game blows everything that's come before it out of the water. It's like the culmination of the last 10 years of Rockstar's work. Everything is refined, everything works. Also, Niko Bellic is the best game protagonist in the history of gaming, just thought I'd mention that...
  62. ShaunC
    Apr 30, 2008
    By far, the best game for the PS3, and an aboslute joy to play....the flaws (there are few, as were mentioned in some of the reviews) are so small, few and far-between that GTA iv may be the best game ever made.
  63. MattW.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ive been playing GTA ever since it was came out from the very start. GTA IV is truelly amazing. Yeah there is a few flaws but no game is totally perfect, but this is just amazing! The graphics, the animations everything it amazing!!!
  64. CraigP.
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's awesome ... literally awesome.
  65. Shadowdancer
    May 5, 2008
    An awesome game that simply everyone should play. The scale on which this game has been designed is simply marvelous. It can't be helped while playing to, at more than one point, give great respect to the creators for making such a pure diamond of a game.
  66. JamesK.
    Apr 20, 2008
  67. JamesK.
  68. BronsonM.
    Apr 30, 2008
    How long it has been that I can truly say I've gotten every single penny's worth out of a game, especially an expensive PS3 game! The gameplay is huge, but never overwhelming. Kudos to R* for delivering the best GTA-game yet!
  69. KyleC
    May 7, 2008
    Stunning. Absolutely stunning. From the story, to the graphics, to the meticulous level of detail (go to sleep at night and go outside the next day to notice smudges of dirt that have gathered on your car from a rain storm that occurred earlier), to the often times hilarious voice acting, to the..well I could go on for a while...this game is superb from start to finish. Details you seldom Stunning. Absolutely stunning. From the story, to the graphics, to the meticulous level of detail (go to sleep at night and go outside the next day to notice smudges of dirt that have gathered on your car from a rain storm that occurred earlier), to the often times hilarious voice acting, to the..well I could go on for a while...this game is superb from start to finish. Details you seldom notice exist in real life have been captured by this game. Well done, Rockstar North. You have brought new meaning to next-generation gaming. A novel take on gaming that will be mimicked by other gaming companies for years to come. Expand
  70. Ostaf
    Oct 8, 2009
    This is quite possibly the best game ever made. But I don't really like it so it gets a 9 out of 10 The story is AMAZING the physics engine is AMAZING graphics are really nice, good replay value, online etc. But they took a lot out. The previous games always added a new feature this game took them all away and replaced it with a cool physics engine. One thing that really bugged me is This is quite possibly the best game ever made. But I don't really like it so it gets a 9 out of 10 The story is AMAZING the physics engine is AMAZING graphics are really nice, good replay value, online etc. But they took a lot out. The previous games always added a new feature this game took them all away and replaced it with a cool physics engine. One thing that really bugged me is how Niko always wanted money (I will only kill because I need the money) but you can have millions of dollars and he still does it. You can spend money on everything every time you pass it and still beat the game with a million dollars. Oh and everyone says this game is just the same thing over and over, well duh, all GTA games are. Expand
  71. Oct 15, 2011
    an amazing game which highlights the superiority of the GTA series against other mediocre sandbox games. It improves upon previous GTA'S in every aspect and is a must own.
  72. Jan 13, 2012
    I've been playing this game on and off right since I got it in early 2011. This has the best controls I've ever used for driving in an action game. The lock-on shooting mechanics work surprisingly well and result in quick, satisfying shoot-outs, and the story, though hard to follow for twenty hours, is unbelievably good for a video game. A point off for some uneven texture sharpness.I've been playing this game on and off right since I got it in early 2011. This has the best controls I've ever used for driving in an action game. The lock-on shooting mechanics work surprisingly well and result in quick, satisfying shoot-outs, and the story, though hard to follow for twenty hours, is unbelievably good for a video game. A point off for some uneven texture sharpness. In cutscenes, it's very noticeable when the foreground is rather sharp and well animated, but the background settings seem so soft that they look like they're being viewed through wax paper. There's some pretty bad aliasing too (jagged edges that should be curved), and it's a pain to have to tap X or A to run. However, those gripes aside, this is consistently the most fun game I've ever played. Expand
  73. NickG
    Apr 30, 2008
    THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!! The visuals are stunning especially in the cut scenes, the little things are what make this game so good such as the cars are magnificantly mirrored to the real thing such as mercedes benz, hummers, corvettes and ferraris, the shadows on everything, the fact you dont have to load to walk into a building, a nice touch is if you hijack a car and the THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!!!! The visuals are stunning especially in the cut scenes, the little things are what make this game so good such as the cars are magnificantly mirrored to the real thing such as mercedes benz, hummers, corvettes and ferraris, the shadows on everything, the fact you dont have to load to walk into a building, a nice touch is if you hijack a car and the person tries to get back and you speed off as they have their hand on the door they hang on for dear life unless you swerve or go to fast which i though was wiked, the new combat system is the best i have seen yet, the handling on cars isnt that sharp which can be realistic, the city is absolutely giganormous lol flying at night to get a view of the city is a loads of fun, multiplayer is extremely addictive, you play the game and half way through you see something awesome the you havent seen before, some of the cutscenes have some moving moments and the voice acting is great to. all in all best game ever made Graphics 10/10, gameplay 10/10, sounds 10/10, anything else you can think of 10/10. Expand
  74. KyleN.
    Apr 29, 2008
    The best game in the history of video games.
  75. thebossman
    Sep 19, 2008
    Probably the best free-roaming game ever made.
  76. DesmondL
    Jun 18, 2009
    One most best game I ever played. This game is already defeat Zelda N64 after the released and most highest rank ever (expect game rankings). But sadly, this game is full of controversy and i bit disappointing.
  77. Aug 17, 2013
    10 out of 10.

Excellent story. Unbelievable variation. Hilarious ragdoll physics. Incredible design. Amazing graphics. What else can I say? Grand Theft Auto IV surpasses any hype and brings on more of that open-world chaos that we love and hold dearly about the Grand Theft Auto series. But I do have some complaints... Firstly, some missions can feel repetitive. It's constantly about
    10 out of 10.

But I do have some complaints... Firstly, some missions can feel repetitive. It's constantly about stealing things, killing targets and escaping whoever is chasing you. Of course it's fun, but it's bit too much a times. Also, in many missions, you are told to kill the person you're chasing, but you cant because you have to reach a cutscene or a certain point before they can actually take damage. That is misleading, quite annoying and just a waste of bullets.

But over-all, such small gripes are, of course, nothing that can pull down this game from a perfect 10 out of 10 score, thanks to the things mentioned on the first row.
  78. Mar 12, 2012
    As with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, noAs with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, no getting fat, no swimming underwater, etc, but its uber fun. Do you play online? This game is online and is SUPER fun. Wreck havoc on complete random strangers. Got a PSN? Add me: ccrogers15 Expand
  79. Apr 2, 2012
    Didnt like it. It was good at first, but playing other Huge title games, it didnt stand out to me, they are focused on too much graphics! Bring San Andreas back!!
  80. ShaneJ.
    Apr 30, 2008
    sweet the all time best gta
  81. NathanD
    May 3, 2008
    Quality, no doubt about it. Controls are different, but easy to get used to, and I enjoy them more. Definitely ah must get
  82. AndersO.
    May 7, 2008
    Simply a marvelous game. The voice-acting is thoroughly and extremely well done, and so are the rest of the game, from graphics to the online part.
  83. DexX
    May 8, 2008
    Brilliant, but not perfect. The storyline and characters, especially Niko and his relationships with other denizens of Liberty City, are what make it so compelling. Main flaws are a somewhat dodgy camera and some twitchy vehicle controls. Still one of the best games in ages, though.
  84. BobM.
    May 1, 2008
    very good wonderful settings and surroundings only let down was the control of the cars. it is extremely hard to steer. apart from that the game is perfect.
  85. GaryG.
    Jul 2, 2009
    It would appear that the other reviewers have given this game a 0 because they are more interested in silly games like saints row 2 were you throw dog poo. any way this game is incredible. there are so many little details and liberty city is packed full of suprises. I waited for along time for this game and i was not dissapointed at all. i bought this game on the release day and i still It would appear that the other reviewers have given this game a 0 because they are more interested in silly games like saints row 2 were you throw dog poo. any way this game is incredible. there are so many little details and liberty city is packed full of suprises. I waited for along time for this game and i was not dissapointed at all. i bought this game on the release day and i still go back to it over a year later. awsome brilliant and massive.. Expand
  86. MattB
    Apr 30, 2008
    Rampant anti-aliasing issues. Someone, I have no idea who, said the PS3 edition suffered less aliasing than the Xbox360 edition. I'd have to play XB edition, because if it's true the game must be borderline unplayable. The HDR levels need severe tweaking, it runs somewhere between "difficult" and "impossible" to navigate dark areas of the city during real life daylight hours. Rampant anti-aliasing issues. Someone, I have no idea who, said the PS3 edition suffered less aliasing than the Xbox360 edition. I'd have to play XB edition, because if it's true the game must be borderline unplayable. The HDR levels need severe tweaking, it runs somewhere between "difficult" and "impossible" to navigate dark areas of the city during real life daylight hours. The screen is simply pitch black, even with the brightness turned up all the way. Gritty? Yes. More realisitic? Yes. Practical? No. The blur effects of anything beyond about 200' from the character make navigation at high speed on the roads a nightmare. It looks like you're playing the entire game [sans cut scenes] through a pair of coke-bottle-bottomed glasses. I would like to note on the positive side that they did a great job with the cut scenes and pulling you into the roll and life of Nikko. The faces during the cut scenes are very emotive and help convey the story line as well as the "humanity" of the characters involved masterfully. Oh yeah, you have to be *RIGHT ON TOP OF THE TV* to read *ANYTHING* that is displayed on your *TINY* dark-grey text on dark-grey background phone. Prepare to become myopic if you play this game for long periods of time. Whoever let that one slide, also: fired. FPS ranging from 15-30, usually in the low 20s I'd guess... The game needed another several months of polishing. Expand
  87. AlexM.
    May 1, 2008
    Good game, but not perfect. This game is the GTA3 for the next gen console, and i cant wait for the next one to improve on this already great formula. San Andreas was a fantastic game, and i believe that in some aspects, is better than GTA4. In some ways, this game feels like a step backwards when compared to previous titles in the same series. Overall, a still great game.
  88. DanteM.
    Feb 22, 2009
    I think this is probably the best Playstation game ever. It has amazing graphics, a verry good gameplay, nice controlls. You can just keep playing this game forever, and you will never get tired off it. The blur for far away building is a bit disturbing, but that really is the only thing that isn't perfect in this game.
  89. Jun 25, 2012
    Spectacular game. One of my favorite games in this generation. The amount of freedom in this game is simply astounding...you can literally go anywhere and do anything you can think of. Almost every game has some major limitation that prevents you from doing something, but this game has almost no limitation. You can drive cars, drive motorcycles, drive boats, drive helicopters, jump youSpectacular game. One of my favorite games in this generation. The amount of freedom in this game is simply astounding...you can literally go anywhere and do anything you can think of. Almost every game has some major limitation that prevents you from doing something, but this game has almost no limitation. You can drive cars, drive motorcycles, drive boats, drive helicopters, jump you car off of ramps, run around on foot, shoot whatever you want, and blow up whatever you want...the fact that you can do all of these things in the same game is very impressive. No other game has so much going on in it, and yet Rockstar made all of these things fun and executed them well. Some games struggle to get one of these things right, yet Rockstar does them all well. Not to mention the city is interesting and full of variety, which makes it a great playground to drive around in...I love that the city has a lot of hills and uneven areas - this allows you to gleefully make your car spin out, jump, roll over, or whatever else you want to do with it...and the awesome car physics give your car a great sense of weight, which makes it so satisfying to watch your car soar through the air and come slamming down as the body wobbles from the impact. The car physics alone make this game worth playing. I actually think GTA's driving feels better and actual racing games. After experiencing this game, I can't see how any other game can be placed in the same league - the sheer amount of stuff crammed into this game just can't be matched. Expand
  90. Aug 15, 2010
    Grand Theft Auto 4 is a great game however, it does have its flaws.For example, missions can get repetitive, the online mode does not have a well paced leveling system, and it also makes it very easy for people to spawn camp, although this mainly only happens when the spawn distance is set to near i think that the developers should have made the game so that it can sense when this may beGrand Theft Auto 4 is a great game however, it does have its flaws.For example, missions can get repetitive, the online mode does not have a well paced leveling system, and it also makes it very easy for people to spawn camp, although this mainly only happens when the spawn distance is set to near i think that the developers should have made the game so that it can sense when this may be happening and spawn you somewhere else automatically. So to wrap it all up very little is wrong with this game and only has minor problems. Expand
  91. Oct 28, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game right from the day i got it and to this day i still enjoy playing it. The story is very well written and does its best to give players the freedom of choice from time to time. The multi player is good it has a lot of variety to it which makes it very enjoyable for players
  92. Sep 2, 2010
    Quite simply, the most engrossing Sandbox game available for consoles. It may have lost the hilarity of San Andreas and the style of Vice City, but as a story, it shoves both of the previous two games down a hill. Moving, emotional, funny, sad and with a bitter/sweet ending, this game is definately worth the 25+ hours you can sink into it.
  93. Sep 27, 2010
    Ahh, GTA IV....my personal favorite on my small library of games. I think the storyline is surprisingly interesting, with the plot twists and everything. I love the vast expanses of the newly rendered Liberty City. It looks much like NYC, so they have that down pat.
  94. Oct 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Grand Theft Auto Iv this game is very realistic but not that realistic i have got this and have played it twice nearly completed it for a second time but after a bit you do get bored of as you`v played it for long and you know everywhere but something still amaze me such as the quality`s of the cars and how fast they go this game does have very good graphics the graphics are amazing also from start to last the game does impress youv got alot of diffrent choices to choose from as which person to kill first and you get suprises from each of them .The first hand shooting on this game is actally quite amazing but the bad thing is when you aere going so fast in your car the tv will glitch adn freez the glitches on this are quite good as you can go online and you have to go to the secound islnd their is a swing there which if you keep hitting your car at it it flings you so far in the sky .This game would be my secound choice if i had it on a list even though it is good its not that good if you keep playing it and you get use to everything themusic on the game is quite intresting the radio i like is BEATS 87.2 this one has alot of rap on the radio.This game does amaze you some points as i bet you didnt know that you can give tramps money and also you have got alot of challeneges to complete in the game you have to shoot pigions to unlock something also you can ramp off ramps and fly and this will give you suprises i would appreiacte for looking Thanks for looking. Expand
  95. Nov 16, 2010
    Grab a beer and wonder at the city lights and skylines that ooze of atmosphere. Atmoshere for me is what sets GTA apart from it's wannabees and clones. Just to peruse the city in a taxi is a joy in itself. The virtual world laid out before you is staggering. If the game had no plot and was just a free sprawling city that would be enough for me. Not surprisingly there is a plot and aGrab a beer and wonder at the city lights and skylines that ooze of atmosphere. Atmoshere for me is what sets GTA apart from it's wannabees and clones. Just to peruse the city in a taxi is a joy in itself. The virtual world laid out before you is staggering. If the game had no plot and was just a free sprawling city that would be enough for me. Not surprisingly there is a plot and a damned good one. The game has few flaws in my book, the only flaw would be that previous incarnations may have taken a tiny amount of shine off this version , but even then not much. Great fun online and just as good chilling by yourself with a Scotch overlooking the statue of liberty. Expand
  96. Dec 20, 2010
    A perfect game. Liberty city is absolutely beautiful. The story is absorbing. I could not put the controller down. The missions are varied and fewer time limited missions, which was a frustrating factor in previous games is a welcome change. The addition of the other minigames, a friend system, girlfriend system, etc., all contribute to this masterpiece. There are so many good things forA perfect game. Liberty city is absolutely beautiful. The story is absorbing. I could not put the controller down. The missions are varied and fewer time limited missions, which was a frustrating factor in previous games is a welcome change. The addition of the other minigames, a friend system, girlfriend system, etc., all contribute to this masterpiece. There are so many good things for this I don't even know what to say. Just buy it and play for yourself. Expand
  97. Dec 7, 2010
    Ive been playing GTA IV for over 20 years now its amazing ive been able to jump off the empire state building only to slide down the pyramids and land in amsterdam there i smoked weed
  98. Dec 16, 2010
    THAT'S IT!THE BEST GTA EVER!Man this game is so good that is the best GTA game and best Xbox 360/PS3 game!This game is really good!No joke!The action BLAZES a lot!The perfect GTA game!
  99. Dec 31, 2010
    Truly the best game I have ever played by a mile.
  100. Feb 8, 2011
    Possibly the finest open world game ever created, and easily the best social satire ever concieved. A world were people live and breathe the lives of every one of us. From flipping open cell phones and chatting, going for coffee, having trouble parallel parking, hobo's at the bus stop, GTA4 is the single most immersive game world I have ever seen. Combine a lengthy campaign with aPossibly the finest open world game ever created, and easily the best social satire ever concieved. A world were people live and breathe the lives of every one of us. From flipping open cell phones and chatting, going for coffee, having trouble parallel parking, hobo's at the bus stop, GTA4 is the single most immersive game world I have ever seen. Combine a lengthy campaign with a fantastic story, brilliant dialogue, amazing graphics, great music, unthinkable scale (the buildings loom over you as drive through the downtown and its a beauty to behold), and hundreds of hours worth of stuff to do... oh and how about all of that WITH 8 players online? GTA4 is a modern masterpiece. When I first played it in 2008 my jaw was floored. Now in 2011 after playing it all again with the two (also incredible) DLC campaigns, I can say my stance is virtualy unaltered, if not improved. You are not allowed to claim to be a gammer without experiencing GTA4. In my top 3 games of all time. Expand

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]