Grand Theft Auto IV PlayStation 3

7.5

1. Jul 6, 2017
    Técnicamente es un desastre debido a la mala optimización que hicieron de él por parte de sus desarrolladores por lo menos en el port de PS3, con un velo tabaquero cubriendo las calles de Liberty City, además de lo poco definido que están los "muñecos" con caras de plástico e inexpresivas un déficit incluso para la generación de la época, sino comparad con su hermano GTA 5. Su historiaTécnicamente es un desastre debido a la mala optimización que hicieron de él por parte de sus desarrolladores por lo menos en el port de PS3, con un velo tabaquero cubriendo las calles de Liberty City, además de lo poco definido que están los "muñecos" con caras de plástico e inexpresivas un déficit incluso para la generación de la época, sino comparad con su hermano GTA 5. Su historia principal es cruda pero superior al resto de la serie Grand Theft Auto. Expand
  2. Mar 17, 2017
    Meh, it's entertaining for a couple hours, but that's about it. I'm not sure I could justify the cost, especially when there's so many good, inexpensive options for the PC now.
  3. Jan 13, 2017
    Can't remember a lot because it was many years ago, but sure it was fun, and San Andreas put the level so high so it had a hard task to surpass it. Most probably the GTA I played the less hours because besides bowling and a few sidequests, there's not much else to do but the missions, some of them interesting. This one made a high jump when it comes to quality, but maybe lacked some charmCan't remember a lot because it was many years ago, but sure it was fun, and San Andreas put the level so high so it had a hard task to surpass it. Most probably the GTA I played the less hours because besides bowling and a few sidequests, there's not much else to do but the missions, some of them interesting. This one made a high jump when it comes to quality, but maybe lacked some charm and charisma. Let's go play some bowling cousin, and play with the swing! (that was truly hilarious and glad that Rockstar didn't fix that bug) Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2016
    Short. Very few hours you can play in the game. The map is so freakin' small and on top of that it's full with buildings. Boring repetitive missions. Few guns available in the game, and also there's no weapon customization. The physics are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Cars felt goofy, not realistic AT ALL. Graphics are bad. After finishing the boring repetitive storyline there's almost nothing toShort. Very few hours you can play in the game. The map is so freakin' small and on top of that it's full with buildings. Boring repetitive missions. Few guns available in the game, and also there's no weapon customization. The physics are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. Cars felt goofy, not realistic AT ALL. Graphics are bad. After finishing the boring repetitive storyline there's almost nothing to do. Very few vehicles. Very few stores available. Such a downgrade from GTA SA.

Still, it has that DARK Grand Theft Auto feeling tho, and characters are great.
  5. Dec 8, 2016
    I am actually surprised this game is so high. It was a good game and I played through the campaign and The Lost and The Damned DLC, enjoying it for the most part. Like all GTA games, V being better, there is too much damn driving and flying around, back and forth like a real life. I would love some more skip options on that stuff. I also thought the controls were too heavy and awkward onI am actually surprised this game is so high. It was a good game and I played through the campaign and The Lost and The Damned DLC, enjoying it for the most part. Like all GTA games, V being better, there is too much damn driving and flying around, back and forth like a real life. I would love some more skip options on that stuff. I also thought the controls were too heavy and awkward on this game. I do love how dark and gritty the game looks and feels, but the shortcomings make it one of my least favorite GTA games. Expand
  6. Dec 1, 2016
    Very dull and uninspired for a Grand Theft Auto game. Rockstar's attempts to make the game more serious don't work very well because seriousness doesn't contrast well against Grand Theft Auto's formula. Grand Theft Auto IV isn't a bad game by any means, it's just a very underwhelming one.
  7. Oct 12, 2016
    The bottom line is this game is not that fun. It's a GTA game, so there will be some fun car racing scenes, a few good shootouts, and a bunch of missions. It's playable, and fans of the series will play it, obviously.

The story, while 'engaging' and 'emotional', is packed full of cliche. There's just nothing interesting there. Yes, immigrant trying to make a new life, except he jumps immediately into crime and we have no reason to care about him.

The missions are frankly pretty weak. There are a couple winners, like the bank heist. But, in an attempt to make this game more 'real', they neutered it of what makes GTA games fun, and that is the all-out insanity of a game you can do essentially anything you want. It complete pales in comparison to the missions (AND PARTICULARLY MISSION VARIETY!) of San Andreas.

And for a huge, realistic city, there wasn't anything in it I actually wanted to do. I could... play pool. Give us hundreds of jumps, or treasures to find. Something!

I found myself just going through the motions. Shoot, run, drive, with little pushing me on. It simply wasn't that fun.
  8. Apr 21, 2016
    Un juego de transición entre GTA San Andreas y GTA V, Cuando se lanzo gráficamente (a mi) me parecía bestial, no tenia la ps3 y la quería por este juego, estaba obsesionado (Ya había jugado a sagas anteriores) El juego en historia es un poco flojo aunque tiene misiones muy divertidas. Y el Multijugador (Aunque no es lo mismo que el GTA V y el Samp de San Andreas) lo disfrute en su épocaUn juego de transición entre GTA San Andreas y GTA V, Cuando se lanzo gráficamente (a mi) me parecía bestial, no tenia la ps3 y la quería por este juego, estaba obsesionado (Ya había jugado a sagas anteriores) El juego en historia es un poco flojo aunque tiene misiones muy divertidas. Y el Multijugador (Aunque no es lo mismo que el GTA V y el Samp de San Andreas) lo disfrute en su época muchísimo, Si quieres este juego solo te lo recomiendo para jugar la campaña y hacer el chorra por Nueva York, Porque para eso ya tienes el GTA V que esta mas pensado para ello. Expand
  9. Feb 9, 2016
    GTA4 is nice game for xbox360 and ps3.
    Because pc version have gfwl and pc potting is awful.
    I can't save the game because focking gfwl.
    I played GTA4 with R9 270x, average frame is 55
    So,if you want to play GTA series, do another series
  10. Jan 6, 2016
    Whilst GTA IV had the recipe for one of the greatest games of all time, it couldn't really capture the magic a Grand Theft Auto game would truly need to excel. GTA IV was far too dark, the main character was one dimensional and the game simply lacked the vibrant world it had the potential to produce. Nevertheless, it provided a premise that could perhaps be fulfilled in later instalments.
  11. Oct 7, 2015
    GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas on the PS2 were some of the best games ever created. Beautiful graphics, excellent soundtrack, good gameplay...

GTA IV on the PS3 must be a huge step forward, right? Unfortunately that's wrong, GTA IV took almost all the fun out of previous instalments and replaced it with a boring game with bad controls. Especially the driving sucks big time (motorbikes!) and the shooting, which admittedly never was the strong point of GTA, is not much better.

The main character is uninteresting and the graphics are not colorful and rather bland. Everything looks kinda yellowish.

Luckily both DLC's (The Lost and Damned, and The Ballad of Gay Tony) are rumored to be much better than the main story of GTA IV.

But there is now an online feature, that will spice things up considerably, right? Not really, the online gameplay is not very good since the controls are so bad and you have to wait ages to get the game started.

With GTA IV Rockstar was trying to make their most popular game series more serious and realistic, but it ended up being just ugly and boring. Luckily GTA V (2013) put the series back on track, that game is beautiful and fun and in my opinion the best game on PS3 (although still with a lacking online game mode).

I rate GTA IV 6 out of 10.
  12. Apr 14, 2015
    It's 2015, maybe I tried this game too late, but it feel it very outdated from every aspect: graphics, controls, driving model, etc. Maybe GTA V will be way better on PC.
  13. Feb 5, 2015
    I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title.I played GTA:San Andreas for PS2 to death. That's why I'm disappointed with this game. I played it without the updates when I had no internet connection so maybe I'm talking about something that has been fixed (but I don't think so). I was strongly hoping that the amazing character that Rockstar created for this title was not going to fall into the same storyline plot of every GTA title. It wasn't the case. The plot was flat and it lacked thrilling elements. You can make some choices during the story but in no way you can alterate the flow of events, and, let's be honest, it's always the same criminal story featured in every GTA (but San Andreas, there was the "gang war" theme). There are still some fun features like the "get drunk" thing, or the mini games that you play in some locations (like bowling with Roman, you sure heard of that), but they removed all those things that really sticked me to the display for hours when playing San Andreas. Not a bad game after all, but it could have been made better, it's for games like this that people like me leaves a franchise, I have no interest in GTA5 and I will not buy it because of this game, try Sleeping Dogs instead! Expand
  14. Jan 16, 2015
    Después de Jugar a san andrea me parecio un poco malo.............................................................................................................................................
  15. Jan 12, 2015
    While GTA IV had more of a dark story, the overall 'everything' for this game is quite disappointing.

7 years later, GTA IV is still boring after story completion, and there isn't anything to do afterwards, unless you like killing pigeons across LC. For this game to get a 98, and for GTA V to get a 97 is quite ridiculous. When I played the game in 2008, I still had the same

For this game to get a 98, and for GTA V to get a 97 is quite ridiculous.

When I played the game in 2008, I still had the same opinion I have now.

I give this game a 6.5/10, because the story is the only thing that had me on this game for more.
  16. Nov 12, 2014
    Full disclosure: I haven't really been a GTA fan since the first game. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's how easy the games are. Like it's incredibly dumbed down so everyone can skate by with ease.

GTA IV is no different. They really need a difficulty level option or something. This particular GTA I found somewhat boring. The variety of things you can do is nice, but each

This particular GTA I found somewhat boring. The variety of things you can do is nice, but each mini-game is even more boring than the main game, which at least has some interesting aspects to it. I find the protagonist bland, and most of the supporting characters highly annoying. The story is lackluster, at least as much of it as I saw. I only got about 10 hours in before I gave up on the game.

Here's hoping GTA V will hold my interest when it comes out on PC this January!
  17. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for isThis game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for is either money, weapons, or cars. Not something that big of a deal considering all you are going to do with that is either kill for more money, weapons, or cars and the gameplay is not that great or fun enough to keep one's interest. The one thing that it did good on for the series was perhaps the story, but it wasn't really enough to continue to captivate my interest. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is big and full of glitches. I love GTA but this game is hard to play. The controls and camera angle make this game very frustrating. With a little more focus on the basic game play this game could have been great. Compared to GTA 5 this game sucks. Compared to previous and new GTA games this game is at the bottom. The story and Characters are fine but game play is horrible.
  19. Aug 23, 2014
    I can understand the "pros" 98% but I fell sorry when some users give a 10 to a boring and repetitive game like this. The multiplayer can be fun and the story aspect of the game is great but the gameplay is absolute trash. Really disappointed with this one Rockstar.
  20. Jun 12, 2014
    It may not be the best gta game but it is one of the best games I have ever played. Its got great graphics, great voice acting, so many memorable characters, good sound track, good realistic driving physics and one of the best stories I have ever seen in a videogame.
    But that doesn't mean the game doesn't have problems. Sometimes the framerate drops when the action gets too explosive, so many nice features from San Andreas and other previous gta games have been removed, its smaller than San Andreas and once you have finished the game there aren't a lot of fun activities to do but once you are in this situation you can always have fun with your friends using online multiplayer(just check out KYR Speedy's videos on youtube).
    My verdict is that even though its different from previous gta games its still a great game for current gen because of its graphics and physics but don't go into this game expecting it to find features from other gta games just play to experience the thrill of playing a gta game on a new gen of consoles.
  21. Jun 3, 2014
    Good game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls areGood game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls are sub-par and animations could have polished some more. In hindsight, the only redeeming quality is the DLC, both are very well done and offer much more than the base game. The game's problems with controls and driving wouldn't be noticeable if there was any form of checkpoint system in missions, instead you have to start from the beginning and painstakingly drive back to the area you died at. I think it doesn't deserves a 98, but it does deserve to be experienced at least once if you want to experience it for yourself.

Time did not do this game any favors, especially with how much Red Dead Redemption and GTA V have raised the standard expected of Rockstar games.
  22. May 26, 2014
    It's really nice story and that car driving in game is so realistic, but graphic is not great, it's like "black and white" sometime...that's the only reason why i don't like GTA IV
  23. Feb 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing the outstanding PS2 GTAs I thought that on the PS3, the game would be fantastic.
    When I started the game, I thought it was pretty good, but soon after, I found it wasn't as fun as I had hoped.
    Graphically, the game is great, seeing as it was released in 2008.
    Liberty City is a great setting, the city has great detail and has some cool easter eggs. However, compared to the huge San Andreas, this feels really small and I found myself driving from the airport to the other side in no time.
    The characters are kind of a mixed back, I feel alienated by Nikos views on violence. Many a time would I hear things like "Blah blah I did terrible things at the war, cousin, blah blah." Right after he shot an employer (of sorts) in the head for having an affair with his cousins girlfriend. I do enjoy his random quotes after getting hit by cars or failing a mission.
    The other main characters are ok for the most part. Except for cousin Roman. He is the most annoying
    person in any video game ever. Brucie is kind of annoying but kind of funny. I like Jacob for some reason.

I can't stand the tone of the game. On the internet, you find news stories that may be related to your actions in the storyline, they're funny but you may not even see them. Mostly the game is all dull and dreary, with a grey feel to everything.

The gameplay is decent, I love the car control sometimes, but in missions when chasing people (as you will be with the very few unique missions in the game, mostly you just have to hunt someone, chase someone or intercept a drug deal) it gets so annoying. Cars control like a man in dress shoes on an ice rink. Shooting is quite alright.
    The pastimes are so tedious though, quite often you get a call from Roman or one of your other friends asking if you want to go bowling, I think you can disable these but if you do go bowling or whatever, its quite boring and tedious.

This game had alot of good features and alot of bad ones, neither outweigh eachother.
  24. Feb 9, 2014
    Great graphics and soundtrack but the driving aspect of the game is average to say the least and the less said the better about 3rd person shooter and melee side. I wouldn't have this down as the greatest game of all time and i think the professional reviewers just get taken over by the hype.
  25. Feb 9, 2014
    I remember playing this when it first came out and I also picked it up more recently as it was so cheap. I planned to play through and complete the game but unfortunately I have not. The game is by no means bad, lets face it, there are some pretty poor games out there and GTA IV is better than most games. However it just did not get me gripped enough to complete it. It must come down toI remember playing this when it first came out and I also picked it up more recently as it was so cheap. I planned to play through and complete the game but unfortunately I have not. The game is by no means bad, lets face it, there are some pretty poor games out there and GTA IV is better than most games. However it just did not get me gripped enough to complete it. It must come down to the fact that this GTA is much more restrictive and less fun than say GTA San Andreas on the ps2. What I remember of GTA growing up is that I used to just put it on, not to play missions all the time, but just to have a laugh, drive fast, fly planes or whatever. GTA IV kind of lost a lot of that. The story is decent and the missions fine overall. But I don't think there is enough variety to keep me entertained through was it probably quite a long game (at least if you do side missions etc).

I have decided to leave this now as I cannot bring myself to play it anymore in order to complete it. After all I should not be forcing myself to play it. Maybe I am being slightly harsh as this game is a number of years old now. I have not yet played GTA V and I plan to pick that up - it is clear that there is more to do so hopefully I will have more fun with that.

GTA IV is a decent game, especially when it was first released, but it did not do enough to keep me hooked on completing the game. Online again seemed ok but I did not play it online so much. For me an open world game like this needs more to do outside of missions. Higher hopes for GTA V.

Overall I give 6/10.
  26. Feb 1, 2014
    Not Going to lie that i had some fun playing this game,dating,blowing stuff up,hang out with friends BUT they removed some of the fun sides of gta san andreas like hairstyle,Not really that big city.They only focused it on the graphics and stuff.But still it has a great storyline
  27. Jan 4, 2014
    Its a great game but compare to previous GTA, its a huge setback despite the graphics. The story is great for a videogame but not movie standard, the gameplay is a hit or miss, the graphics is great for 2008 but the physic engine is stupid as hell, the driving is realistic but its so annoying and a pain in the ass to drive any vehicle and after you complete all the mission, you got nothingIts a great game but compare to previous GTA, its a huge setback despite the graphics. The story is great for a videogame but not movie standard, the gameplay is a hit or miss, the graphics is great for 2008 but the physic engine is stupid as hell, the driving is realistic but its so annoying and a pain in the ass to drive any vehicle and after you complete all the mission, you got nothing else to do with Singplayer campaign like in San Andreas. Expand
  28. Dec 11, 2013
    Technically this game is very good. The story is good, the ending of the story is one off the most gripping moments ever. But, why is this game gta? Why has this game an open world? There is nothing do do in the open world, not like in the previous gta games. The gameplay has improved a lot over previous installments but if they focused on the story, made this exact game but more linearTechnically this game is very good. The story is good, the ending of the story is one off the most gripping moments ever. But, why is this game gta? Why has this game an open world? There is nothing do do in the open world, not like in the previous gta games. The gameplay has improved a lot over previous installments but if they focused on the story, made this exact game but more linear and focus more on the gameplay it could've been so much better. Such a big and beautiful world and nothing to do in it. It's a shame. Expand
  29. Nov 25, 2013
    The game has too many annoyances for me to play. I would put it lower, but the game still has a hint of the wacky freedom you see in GTA. But with that said it has an annoying friend mechanic, a story too dark for GTA, and some really annoying missions.
  30. Nov 1, 2013
    I regret to say I was swept up in the moment. Jumped on the bandwagon. Became a sheep to the games industry... and I regret it. Looking back now I realise just how austere GTA IV was. Once you had completed the game there was nothing more to do but tedious side missions. the campaign was only just better but the ending was a let down. This game was a large step back from its predecessorI regret to say I was swept up in the moment. Jumped on the bandwagon. Became a sheep to the games industry... and I regret it. Looking back now I realise just how austere GTA IV was. Once you had completed the game there was nothing more to do but tedious side missions. the campaign was only just better but the ending was a let down. This game was a large step back from its predecessor and dare I say it............................... Overrated. I do hate that word.)

Perhaps I am being to harsh, after all it was an old game on a brand new console back then. No one had played a game like it before on an Xbox or Ps3. however as games got better, you start to realise the flaws in a game you once thought the world of.
    To start of with the story is a bit cliché. some missions are a bit hit and miss. the cover mechanics are clunky and un-polished but the shooting is much like the others so no problems there. Driving is quite a nuisance because all the vehicles are massively heavy and cannot swerve without crashing. Speaking of crashing though, the explosions looked amazing back then and still hold up now. Despite the name of the game you wont want to commit any crimes though. The police apparently see everything and know exactly where you are when hiding. this angers me as it pretty much messes up an iconic part of GTA. exploring the city can be fun at times but I would take a helicopter.( the cheat is 359-555-0100 on Nikos phone).

But I could forgive that all if it wasn't for your cousin ringing you up every fifteen minutes to do dull activities with him. If you don't then his bond declines with you. Its punishment either way. At least let us say no.
    At the end of the game you have all your money so what do you spend it on... all. There is only a few things you can spend money on. Weapons which you will find anyway and clothes which there is very little choice of.

My verdict is that this game is not as good as the gleaming glistening reviews it got. But I understand why they gave it those perfect reviews and that's because we all did. Everyone who bought the game at one point, loved it. But time rots everything and surely enough when you want to replay years from now... you will sigh a breath of boredom when dear old cousin rings you up

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]