7.5

1. May 12, 2011
    What happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interestingWhat happened?!? How did this go so wrong??? I was so unbelievably excited about this game, and I thought for the first 5 minutes that it would be as great as I had always hoped... and then it just wasn't. I can't particularly put my finger on an exact reason why... I'm going to blame GTA san andreas, which just set my hopes so high. Sure GTAIV has a great story line, interesting characters (If a little stereotypical and annoying) and sometimes fun gameplay... but I've seen it all before and I didn't get sucked into the world in the same way I have in previous iterations. No customisation, a bland city with such a small amount of variety....... How did it go downhill so much from SA??? Overall I think this is a fun game, but one of the most over-rated of all time. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    After playing GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas it was hard to imagine being swept away again by another GTA game but man does this game deliver. The story, the characters, the setting and the game world are so well crafted and put together it's nice to see some developers still take time to prepare their works and not just milk a franchise with yearly releases.
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    Overrated. I can't believe how high of score this gets, this is the worst GTA game. The world may be huge, but it's uninspired. The characters are dull. The controls are horrible. Even though you can get this for cheap, just pick up San Andreas on PS2 instead.
  4. Nov 30, 2011
    This is the most over rated game ever. REALLY 98? User score tells more about this game... This is like every other GTA, boring after few days. Rockstar has paid for those 100 metascore givers.
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    2011:
    2011:
    I loved GTA III, Vice City was one of my favs, I felt that san andreas was losing a little from its sights, and now GTA iv. Well, the game wasn't all that engaging actually after all is said and done. Sure there are some great moments, the story and characters are very well done as always, but for me the game was almost too overwelhming. Things like having a girlfriend, checking email, going out, tended to add to much, which luckily it is all optional, but it still feels like your missing out if not doing these things. The car physics were horrid, never could drive it. I miss the old GTA, especially vice city, remember the stolen car lists, the taxi, vigilante, ect. missions. These were the side missions that i thought were good and not a distraction like in Gta iv. I didn't walk away impressed with the game.
  6. Apr 3, 2011
  7. May 18, 2011
    Why is this game rated the best PS3 game ever? Are you serious? This game deserves max 3, but I give it 0 to counter all those pointless 10's. I do not reccomned this game at all, unless you need some sandbox game to drive around and screw some stuff, if you want a story, it's not a good game.
  8. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is too over rated.
    98? No... This game, as a GTA, is disappointing. And very much. This game is basic. Yeah, it may have be liked by critics because it was sandbox, but, yeah, nothing more. It has a good amount of bugs and lags, and all the things you can do are bugged. At least on PS3 and PC. I don't know on XBOX360.
    I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is
    This game is too over rated.

I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is not GTA. Do we want to talk about the story? It is definitely one of the most boring and lame stories in videogames history. IMO.

Well, I think that I'm generous giving it a 3.
  9. Dec 22, 2012
    When I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws IWhen I first played Gta IV I was instantly hooked. The atmosphere in the game was amazing. Missions were addictive, story was nice. there were many memorable characters and funny laughs. I rented this at first and played it for 22 hour then re-rented it and played it for 24 more hours and beat the game. This game is my 2nd favourite sandbox of all time and this game is awesome. The flaws I had with the game were the predictable missions. But none the less, an awesome game 9/10 Expand
  10. Oct 18, 2012
    The first time I played GTA was at the age of seven when GTA was released back in 1997. In my humble opinion GTA IV is a huge step forward, but in another view, a step back.

+ More mature and interesting storyline + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage + A living, breathing city + Huge city - Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10

+ More mature and interesting storyline
    + Drastically improved driving physics and vehicle damage
    + A living, breathing city
    + Huge city

- Repetitive and sometimes uninspired mission design (Go to A, shoot 10 people, go to B)
    - To much blur and an awfull blue tint
    - Lack of interesting features outside of the storyline (clubs, barbershops, car dealerships etc.)
    - Lack of safehouses

While some of these missing features was added i TBoGT many of them should have been in the game in the first place. I like the serious tone GTA IV story has, but the problem is, that outside of the story, the game often becomes repetetive and dull. There is simply not enough features; clubs, more races, drug deals, golf etc. Mission design is quite poor and the creativity (not talking about over-the-top action in TbOGT) is somehow diluted, and the game almost have the same mission design as in GTA III: Go there, kill a few people, go back.
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    I hate giving 0's but theres something about this game. Its playability is minimal nevermind the concept of replayability. Graphically it's a treat, that aside, it's mediocre.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form.A boring game-as-art experience. It's an accomplishment to create such a giant city, but a shame not to build a functioning game. All forms of gameplay are poor and clunky, inferior to the champions of each genre. Driving doesn't feel as good as a racing game, bowling doesn't feel as good as a bowling game, etc. Every experience offered in GTA IV can be found elsewhere, and in FUN form. Strip it down and it's a compilation of half-ass mini-games separated by a gigantic, but hollow, hub world. Expand
  13. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't get the hype, there is nothing "revolutionary" about this game. All I experienced was an extremely dull game with often repetitive missions and monotonous combat.
  14. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things likeOne of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things like dating had me restless. I tried, thinking that it would eventually click for me, but while the environment was technically impressive, I found that the game wasn't the kind of escapist entertainment I play video games for. I even tried the DLC to see if those picked up the pace, and I just flat wasn't having fun.

I know some folks love it, and that's great. It just wasn't the right game for me.
  15. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is not impressive. I was pumped when this game came out, but when i played it I simply did not enjoy playing it. Got tired of it very quickly. They took too much of what i loved about san andreas out of this installment.
  16. Feb 18, 2012
    Cheesy and boring characters with the same patheitc moral struggles as San Andreas. Mowing down hundreds of pedestrians does not fit with that kind of crap. I need to be mute or a psychopath. Features that got added in every increment since GTA1 have been chopped and you have this barebones gameplay where you can't fly, heavily modify your character, buy properties everywhere etc. etc.Cheesy and boring characters with the same patheitc moral struggles as San Andreas. Mowing down hundreds of pedestrians does not fit with that kind of crap. I need to be mute or a psychopath. Features that got added in every increment since GTA1 have been chopped and you have this barebones gameplay where you can't fly, heavily modify your character, buy properties everywhere etc. etc. Obviously they are setting up the sequels to include these in the hope that it will have the same impact as your first helicopter ride in Vice City. It's an admission that they can't come up with anything new or fresh to add. The cops are way too difficult to shake if you get beyong 3 stars, which is part of the realism but again limits the amount of mass murder you can commit, and makes it more like real life. The cars are not fun to drive, performance is affected too much by crashes and in fact the physics seem less realistic than older games. It feels like tweaking has been done to the handling itself rather than the actual physics to give it an appearance of realism. So do you go for driving simulator or arcade style fun handling? Please pick one and don't half do either style. The music sucks. The story is utterly forgettable, I mean I really didn't care the whole way through. Roman is incredibly annoying, and not funny. Not very much in this game is funny actually. Or fun. Or interesting. Gets 6/10 because it is huge, and better than the alternatives in the same genre. But compared to its predecessors it is way off being a great game. Expand
  17. Mar 17, 2012
    I really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplayI really don't see why this game has gotten so many perfect scores, it's a great game but it is definitely not perfect. I thought the story was really good, Nico is a really interesting character but there are too many characters. Throughout the game you meet so many people and it makes it hard to follow the story sometimes, however most of these characters are pretty cool. The gameplay has been improved but it's still far from perfect, the cover system gets really awkward in tight spaces so its easy to end up dying because of it and the driving, while very enjoyable for the most part, has its problems when you have to chase someone. These flaws could easily be forgiven if there were checkpoints in the missions but for some reason Rockstar have decided that it would be better to have to restart the entire mission every time you fail! When you throw in the flaws with the controls it can get very frustrating! Its not all bad though, if you just want to travel round the city and have fun stealing cars and beating people up, you'll have a great time, the free roam aspect of this game is nailed brilliantly and the amount of things that there are today boggles the mind. The multiplayer, while not extremely addictive, is pretty good as long as you're playing with plenty of people. This game shows its problems when you're trying to play the story line, don't get me wrong its not a bad game, i enjoyed quite alot of it, but there are many problems that I can not over look. Expand
  18. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  19. Apr 6, 2013
    GTA IV is such an utter disappointment i was just sad as a long time fan of GTA since PS2 days the series is really messed up now just like Metal Gear Solid the only way to fix these problems is to stop making games first of all im really shocked about how it got so many 10/10's for such a sh**ty game rockstar must have bribed these greedy a*****es for these reviews
  20. May 27, 2013
    So, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat outSo, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat out obnoxious in my opinion. Tommy Vercetti was friggin' cool, Bellic is a pansy by comparison.
    It's great as a tech demo. I can't fault Rockstar for getting the detail of the city down, but it just feels there's less to do. It's a crazily detailed city, but hell you can't even Vigilante in this one.
    I hope GTA V isn't just another tech demo like this one was.
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    +first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime+first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime
    -No other environment than the City.

Sorry, but 98 is just ridicolous. Im a huge GTA fan, but this GTA is not good in my opinion
  22. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs ofDespite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2010
    This game is the most overrated ever, the gun sounds sound fake, they swear all the time, the game seems a bit goofy, you can hardly enter any buildings and there just isnt much to do. What a bore
  24. Mar 27, 2011
    At first, the game is fun and the story gets pretty simple. But when you get further, it gets boring, the characters get annoying, and the story is so difficult. When you lose and have to start over everytime, you'll be hitting your head against the wall, turn it off, and break it in half. The driving controlls suck, it feels like it has a mind of it own that I will be flying out of theAt first, the game is fun and the story gets pretty simple. But when you get further, it gets boring, the characters get annoying, and the story is so difficult. When you lose and have to start over everytime, you'll be hitting your head against the wall, turn it off, and break it in half. The driving controlls suck, it feels like it has a mind of it own that I will be flying out of the windshield again and again. I really hate the characters, they think their cool and badass, but MY GOD their so annoying I mute the TV. The multiplayer is boring, I turn it off and play "Uncharted 2". I have know idea why so many people love this game so much, they say "Its so amazing, its Grand Theft Auto!" I now know why they love and defnd it. They defend it because it has "Grand Theft Auto" written on the cover, and they think any game that is titled "Grand Theft Auto" means its a great game. Its a horrible game and I want my money back! Expand
  25. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is not bad, but certainly it isn't a masterpiece i don't know how this is the best game in all metacritic history, i mean San Andreas was a lot better than GTA4 i hope Rockstar make an awesome GTA with the next one.
  26. Oct 15, 2011
    an amazing game which highlights the superiority of the GTA series against other mediocre sandbox games. It improves upon previous GTA'S in every aspect and is a must own.
  27. Aug 27, 2011
    Completely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. InCompletely overrated. I stopped playing after two hours because every mission was a variation of "follow me while i talk to and then kill some people I don't like". Also, the game mechanics are crap, because every time I want to shoot someone, the crosshair is automatically pointed at and locked on the nearest person's torso, making headshots and other things impossible to make. In addition, the story is never fleshed out. Niko is here to find some person, but that is never pursued, and he seems to be trying to be legit, but that never happens. GTA 4 is imbalanced and boring, and is easily one of the worst games I have every played. Expand
  28. Dec 19, 2012
    The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system,The foundations for a next-gen GTA are there. Unfortunately, the content simply isn't anywhere near enough in the single player to class this as an open-world action-adventure. It's more of a linear shooter. The biggest failure in GTA history, but not a bad game in itself. Quality is high in all departments. What's there is really top notch - the cars, driving physics, combat system, facial detail, lighting... I could go on. My issue is with the things that are missing - which is variety, side missions, RPG elements, fun factor. I can see why this game has sold well- if you've never played a video game then this is the best place to start. Otherwise it's so repetitive, simple and mundane that you don't really appreciate the frightening attention to detail. All the little things have been rigourosly worked on, but this game has almost no ambition at all. It's basically a generation upgrade from GTA III, nothing more, nothing less. Expand
  29. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is a piece of **** I bet all of the reviewers were paid to give GTA 4 a 10. "Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money." I AGREE WITH YOU http://www.metacritic.com/user/ElectricPhase "This game is too repetitive. You go and talkThis game is a piece of **** I bet all of the reviewers were paid to give GTA 4 a 10. "Overrated. Annoying characters, clunky gameplay (did the developers ever try driving a real car?!), did I say annoying characters? So glad I got it second hand and cheap--still a waste of money." I AGREE WITH YOU http://www.metacritic.com/user/ElectricPhase "This game is too repetitive. You go and talk with one man, he want to kill someone. You kill the guy, and ok it's done. The game is always this. Graphics aren't the best, playstation have better graphics to offer. Some crashes around the game made me put this game away, I sold it 5$. Really bad game". ALSO AGREE WITH Horrendously boring. It was fun for like 5 minutes! Just like the rest of the GTA games. The story i found boring and the online is terrible! Worst online expierience ive ever had. Worst 40 quid I have ever spent. Wish I gave this one a pass and just bought MGS4 on its own instead Expand
  30. Mar 12, 2012
    As with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, noAs with previous GTA games, this one is packed with hours of action adventure fun in a sandbox that you can call yours. Shoot an old lady, blow up a helicopter, have complete fun causing a mini apocalypse. Make sure you buy the add ons for even more fun. Lost and damned and Ballads of gay tony. This game is yes, a step back from GTA SA, like no planes, no realistic clothing changing, no getting fat, no swimming underwater, etc, but its uber fun. Do you play online? This game is online and is SUPER fun. Wreck havoc on complete random strangers. Got a PSN? Add me: ccrogers15 Expand

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]