7.5

1. Oct 19, 2014
    What does the American Dream mean today? For Niko Belic, fresh off the boat from Europe. It's the hope he can escape his past. For his cousin, Roman, it is the vision that together they can find fortune in Liberty City, gateway to the land of opportunity. As they slip into debt and are dragged into a criminal underworld by a series of shysters, thieves and sociopaths, they discover that the reality is very different from the dream in a city that worships money and status, and is heaven for those who have them an a living nightmare for those who don't. Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    Most overrated game of all time. How can this be highest rated game on PS3? This game sucks hard Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is 5 times batter the only improvement are graphics.
  3. Oct 5, 2014
    I played this game after I had already beaten GTA V and I have to say that I was not disappointed. GTA IV had a great story (better than 5 in my opinion), and great gameplay and missions. Though I thought the graphics weren't the best, if I had played the game when it originally came out in 2008, I would have been very impressed. I only had a couple of issues with the game. One being that it was very dark in some missions and even when I adjusted the brightness, it was still hard to see what to do or where to go. Also, there were some glitches and bugs, but none of these issues took away from my overall experience with the game. I spent about 26 hours to beat the game and I would advise that anyone who likes open world, hilariously written, violent and vulgar games, should get this game. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is overrated. Reasons? This game has done nothing new for the series as a whole, nor was it too interesting. GTA San Andreas was much better, brought a lot more to this game series and was actually pretty fun because it felt more immersive. I'm actually not sure what feeling of accomplishment or fun that I should be deriving from this game because all you are looking for is either money, weapons, or cars. Not something that big of a deal considering all you are going to do with that is either kill for more money, weapons, or cars and the gameplay is not that great or fun enough to keep one's interest. The one thing that it did good on for the series was perhaps the story, but it wasn't really enough to continue to captivate my interest. Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is very good if not even excellent but not perfect. Few problems in game are the new physics (Not a big problem, and it is something new so we have to give the slack), and the voice actor. Maybe it is a bigger problem for me because I am from part of the world that the main character is, but I just don't find his "native" language to be good and for me it is an issue, but beyond that it is a great game. Expand
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is big and full of glitches. I love GTA but this game is hard to play. The controls and camera angle make this game very frustrating. With a little more focus on the basic game play this game could have been great. Compared to GTA 5 this game sucks. Compared to previous and new GTA games this game is at the bottom. The story and Characters are fine but game play is horrible.
  7. Aug 23, 2014
    I can understand the "pros" 98% but I fell sorry when some users give a 10 to a boring and repetitive game like this. The multiplayer can be fun and the story aspect of the game is great but the gameplay is absolute trash. Really disappointed with this one Rockstar.
  8. Aug 8, 2014
    Worst game in the Franchises history. I was having fun for about the first 12 hours and then I got bored. I had to force myself to pick it back up just to beat it. NOTHING to do after the story mode, ZERO replay value.
  9. Jul 28, 2014
    2014, I played this on 360 upon release. PS3, my 3rd playthrough and this is still one of the best games of last generation consoles. Yes its clunky, the cars handle like ocean liners, the bikes are neigh on impossible to steer and Niko moves like he is wading hip deep through a Florida swamp. But all those little niggles cannot take away from on of my all time favourite games. I love the story, the double crosses, the playing for all sides, the characters. I love the grittiness, how they've captured Liberty City in is post 9/11 paranoia. The satire, how RockStar took trends current to the time and predicted what a farce the media, cell-phone culture and political correctness would get in the years since. After playing GTA 5 I can honestly same that GTA 4 is just as good for different reasons. Love it 10/10 Expand
  10. Jul 15, 2014
    What can I say besides the fact that Grand Theft Auto is a great series of games. From the glamorous skirts of Vice city, to the wealthy city of individuals in San Andreas, too the concrete economy ridden streets of Liberty City, all the games made by Rockstar is just amazing. Grand Theft Auto 4 was one of the better games of the city. The game captures the struggling streets of Liberty City as if it were right in front of me. The game takes place in modern 2008, which in my opinion, had the most unique and creative setting out of all the Grand Theft Auto games! Since I come from where the game takes place, I am able to better understand the struggles of main character Niko Bellic, and the hardships of other pedestrians, begging for spare change. Besides all this however, the game lacks in a few things. The NPC's AI is terrible, in many ways. From running into you, too driving their car furiously into your back bumper at a red light, all pedestrians take the "the city that doesn't sleep" phrase way too seriously. And speaking of cars, the driving mechanics in this game is flat out awful. It's as if your driving a monster truck on ice. A lot of uncalled frustration occurs from these driving mechanics. Also, the storyline sometimes became a major confusion, and often trailed away from my interest in it. But let's not nitpick here, Grand Theft Auto 4 has an enjoyable playlist of music, great characters, good graphics, awesome shooting mechanics... etc. Overall, I love this game, and you should too. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2014
    Mind Blowing, even for today's standards. Rockstar gave us such a refined and detailed game with realistic characters and a vicious gameplay. And what's more exciting about GTA IV is running from the police, do you know what's like to have dozen of police cars and police choppers chasing you? Shooting at the police cars, while driving a car (or a motocycle), with an AK-47 or a 9mm? It's f*cking exciting! The only small problem I had with this game is that after finishing the story, there's not much to do and it becomes boring. Expand
  12. Jul 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best game ever!The best open-world game ever with good graphics quality,plot and city!You will be absolutely enjoy playing this game!Don't miss it! Expand
  13. Jun 20, 2014
    This game was and is far ahead of its time, it requires subtlety, patience and an attention to detail unlike any other game. First of all, I've put in well over 1500 hours into gta 4 and its two dlc's, so there are few if any gamers with as much experience in Liberty City as me. It's the first game that I played that the mature rating on the back dident just represent that there was blood and fowl language, but rather that this form of media is best appriciated by mature individuals. Clearly a large number of you were not ready for a true mature experience based on the 7.5 user score, rather they wanted a San Andreas sequel. If you wanted a San Andreas sequel, PLAY SAINTS ROW, OR SLEEPING DOGS, they were created to occupy the cavity that San Andreas left in the gaming market! Sigh...
    Im a huge driving sim fan, and this is easily my favorite game to drive a car or moterbike in, the driving physics are impeccable. Ive owned every GT(Gran Turismo) and Forza game to date, so I have some experience. WAY too many people complain about the driving physics, saying its "too hard" or "too much body roll", if you drove your car at 100mph in oncoming traffic or around a hairpin turn in real life, you would most likely crash, so WHY should it be any different in a game thats attempting to simulate life as realistically as possible? Try driving at a reasonable speed, if you dont want to because thats "boring" then you should know that your attention span does not meet the required limit of this game, and that should tell you something about yourself, not this game.
    So after complaint after complaint after complaint , Rockstar felt they needed to cut almost every thing that differentiated GTA4 from San Andreas, Sleeping Dogs, and Saints Row. In GTA 5 The driving physics were completely scrapped for an arcade style that you can master in less than a day, catching any air in any vehicle is beyond comical, I literly laughed out loud when I saw that there is a moon gravity cheat, maybe my game is just stuck on moon gravity. The fighting Physics are GONE, ive never experienced a more unenjoyable fighting element in any game, (you square up, then throw right hand haymakers that glitch across 10 feet of open ground and KO the peson in 1 to 2 hits...and the AI can throw the same scripted punch that can glitch across 10 feet). They called it GTA 5(which I beleve it should have been callled San Andreas 2 because GTA 3 brought a major change in the form of 3d graphics, GTA 4 brought a major change in that it was the first on PS3, Xbox 360, and greatly stepped up the graphics from San Andreas. What exactly was the major change GTA5 brought? An ability to switch between 3 protagonists? Graphically speaking it looks great, but the jump from San Andreas to GTA4 was far greater. It seems like Rockstar was saving the numbers for truly ground breaking titles, then got lazy, and now im sure the next GTA will me named GTA 6). I remember arguing with my parent about the negative perception of the grand theft auto games, GTA 4 was the first time I felt I had a valid argument that GTA wasent only about sex, drugs, and ultra violence. You could enjoy the many physics systems interacting with eachother in perfect harmony(at least I could). I can no longer defend the GTA series, because now it seems like the game includes profanity and violence just for the sake of profanity and violence, I mean Niko was an interesting, deep character, while Trevor is just a psycopath who rapes any and everything that moves. My favorite thing about GTA 5 is that its motto or message is "the pursuit of the almighty dollar" its the ultimate joke at the consumes expence, its Rockstar who is pursuing your money, get it?
    In conclusion GTA 4 is the greatst media I have ever experienced, and was so great that I was convinced GTA 5 was going to be the greatest thing ever, I WAS WRONG.
    ps- I GLADLY welcome somebody with opposing beliefs to challenge any of the points I made, (as long as you coherently state your points in a non confrontational manner).
  14. Jun 12, 2014
    It may not be the best gta game but it is one of the best games I have ever played. Its got great graphics, great voice acting, so many memorable characters, good sound track, good realistic driving physics and one of the best stories I have ever seen in a videogame.
    But that doesn't mean the game doesn't have problems. Sometimes the framerate drops when the action gets too explosive, so
    many nice features from San Andreas and other previous gta games have been removed, its smaller than San Andreas and once you have finished the game there aren't a lot of fun activities to do but once you are in this situation you can always have fun with your friends using online multiplayer(just check out KYR Speedy's videos on youtube).
    My verdict is that even though its different from previous gta games its still a great game for current gen because of its graphics and physics but don't go into this game expecting it to find features from other gta games just play to experience the thrill of playing a gta game on a new gen of consoles.
  15. Jun 3, 2014
    Good game, but highly overrated in my opinion. Niko Bellic is an interesting character at first, but seems very monotonous and bland after some time. Other characters are forgettable due to no discernable trait. Driving is very frustrating and rage inducing during car chase sequences. Liberty City is very nice, but noticeably " copy and paste " after some time in the city. Controls are sub-par and animations could have polished some more. In hindsight, the only redeeming quality is the DLC, both are very well done and offer much more than the base game. The game's problems with controls and driving wouldn't be noticeable if there was any form of checkpoint system in missions, instead you have to start from the beginning and painstakingly drive back to the area you died at. I think it doesn't deserves a 98, but it does deserve to be experienced at least once if you want to experience it for yourself.

Time did not do this game any favors, especially with how much Red Dead Redemption and GTA V have raised the standard expected of Rockstar games.
  16. Jun 2, 2014
    Genuine proof that Metacritic is bought and paid. How the hell did they earn this kind of rating for a GTA game? Not to mention this is undoubtedly the worst in a series that reached its peak with GTA 2.
  17. May 26, 2014
    It's really nice story and that car driving in game is so realistic, but graphic is not great, it's like "black and white" sometime...that's the only reason why i don't like GTA IV
  18. May 4, 2014
    No game is perfect but this game is as close as it gets. At the same time this game is not without flaws. Gameplay: no checkpoints during missions whatsoever. Sound: in-car dialogues are kinda inaudible (good thing there are subtitles), also most radio stations are uninteresting. Graphics: low framerate, and actually one issue of this game is that it's literally too dark. Navigating at night is pretty hard sometimes even at the highest brightness setting. Yet this game is the best PS3 game I've ever played (if not the best game overall) and is much superior to GTA V. Don't believe the negative reviews on this site. Unless your favourite game is Crazy Taxi you're gonna love driving in GTA IV compared to driving in GTA 5. This game is probably the best game I've ever played and it's well worth its fame. Expand
  19. May 1, 2014
    This game was great. But I would honestly rate it a 7.85 1.I loved the driving even though it was boaty. 2. The shootouts were intense. 3. The story line was tough. 4. The map... since I'm form new york, I would rate it 7.25 5. The annoying calls from roman I didn't like. 6. The graphics were great, for it's time. 7. The online was good at first, but it got so boring. 8.The fact that I needed to buy the DLC's to use more things did get on my nerves.
    9. The ending was great.
    10 The overall single player when the missions were done was boring.

This is a great GTA. But is it better than GTA V or GTA SA no.
  20. Mar 31, 2014
    Although GTA IV has nothing to do in the massive world, but its missions, story, planning for heists, these stuffs to do combine the fragments that builds up GTA IV from nothing to everything. To be more than really satisfied playing this game, "Don't put it in your mind, that I want every single store to be available" that wish tries to threaten your whole experience. Amazing, I see.
  21. Mar 29, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto IV ticks all the right boxes to be a great game, and it is still a great game even that GTA V came out less than a year ago. The story is brilliant, the voice actors and the characters.
  22. Mar 23, 2014
    This is the first GTA game I've ever played for myself. Other times, I played GTA games at a friend's house and we would do random funny stuff and try escape the cops. I borrowed this game from a friend and I was able to play the story. Man, I enjoyed it. You play as Niko Bellic, a Slavic man who travels to the US in search for a better life. But then he has to confront his past when he was a soldier in the Yugoslav Wars and then you want to see how things turn out. I heard that Niko is the most humane GTA protagonist, and that the protagonists in GTA V are just jerks, but I'd like to see for myself. There's lots to do and hilarious stuff does happen. You should get this game if you haven't already, even if its 6 years old. Stay tuned for my review of GTA V (if I ever should hehe). Expand
  23. Mar 21, 2014
    This game has the worst controls. I was terribly disappointed with the vehicle dynamics and controls. If any mission involves a vehicle chase, i just keep cursing the game controls and show a lot of misplaced anger towards my controller. Missions with bike chases are even more dreadful. I have given a 'three' rating for the exciting game-world with a lot happening around. The random characters and side-missions are pretty good, even though i miss the taxi/ambulance/firefighting missions. The story-line is pretty bland and so are most of the characters. The nature of missions are also somewhat boring, repetitive and monotonous. This in no way comes close to the quality and excitement of vice city and san andreas missions. The 'Friendship' and 'Dating' activities were interesting at the start but became too irritating as we get more indulged with the missions. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    Grand Theft Auto is a series that is hard to review, simply because there's just as much wrong as there is right. However, this game is one that revives the old series. San Andreas became an instant classic, but there's no point in playing it anymore, and there wasn't another GTA game until this. GTA V is superior in every way, but when this released, Rockstar proved that they were capable of making incredible games unlike any others. This game isn't perfect, but it was what Rockstar needed, and what fans wanted.
    Pros: -Story (this game actually has a decently involving and deep story, with some emotional and intense scenes)
    - Voice acting (Niko Bellic's voice actor did a stellar job in creating a Russian immigrant)
    - Open World (This game has a massive world, and every square inch can be explored)
    - Content (from races to sports, from collectibles to online mode, this game is a completionists dream come true)
    - Gameplay (Running into things to propel yourself out the window has never been so fun, as well as some great shooting controls)
    Cons: -Repetitive (The story and Side missions become repetitive, and trying to do them all becomes a chore. The majority of the quests involve killing a bunch of people, chasing someone down, or picking up an item and delivering it. They're manageable at first, but they become very bland)
    -Too much to do (seems like a pro, but is actually a con. There's too much stuff to keep on top of, from maintaining relationships with irritating characters to having to check emails at a coffee shop)
    - Glitches/bugs (The game is littered with glitches that hinder the experience, and even some major freezing issues that occurred more than once during my play time)
    Overall, the game was, and is, a fun adventure. However, it quickly becomes bland and irritating, and you're likely to move on to another game in a few weeks.
  25. Feb 25, 2014
    This the most over rated game to recent memory. I couldn't even finish the damn game it was so **** boring. I mean seriously wtf happened San Andreas and Vice City were so epic funny and awesome. Lets start with the Posatives. the world feels alive and realistic probably the most acurate adaptation of New York City. Plus it has that good American Dream story. Negatives. The Graphics are awful Resident Evil 4 had better graphics and that was on the PS2. Niko is so **** boring Johnny Gat is a way more interesting and fun character. It has a terrible cover system and a god awful shooting mechanic. And last but not least these radio stations suck complete ass I mean wtf happened SA and VC had way better stations. Saints Row 2 has better stations too. As i began with this review this is the most over rated game to date. Expand
  26. Feb 16, 2014
    I cannot understand how this game is universally acclaimed. For starters, it has way too many flaws. The story is good, but that's the point - the game's all story and no gameplay, to the point that you have to create the gameplay yourself by going and smashing stuff up, diverging from the plot. And as a story gamer, that is something I simply can't do - Early in the game it destroys Nico's character. In addition, the car controls are awful - it feels like I'm driving on a black-ice rink. The missions are boring too - it's just "go drive somewhere and wach a cutscene" or ""take this girl out on a date". In a game like GTA, I want ACTION, not boring stuff like this. I bought this game, expecting something amazing. But what I got was something very, very boring. Grand Theft Auto IV is thoroughly boring and hideously overrated. I might as well play Saints Row, it's the same gamee but done right! Expand
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing the outstanding PS2 GTAs I thought that on the PS3, the game would be fantastic.
    When I started the game, I thought it was pretty good, but soon after, I found it wasn't as fun as I had hoped.
    Graphically, the game is great, seeing as it was released in 2008.
    Liberty City is a great setting, the city has great detail and has some cool easter eggs. However, compared to the huge San Andreas, this feels really small and I found myself driving from the airport to the other side in no time.
    The characters are kind of a mixed back, I feel alienated by Nikos views on violence. Many a time would I hear things like "Blah blah I did terrible things at the war, cousin, blah blah." Right after he shot an employer (of sorts) in the head for having an affair with his cousins girlfriend. I do enjoy his random quotes after getting hit by cars or failing a mission.
    The other main characters are ok for the most part. Except for cousin Roman. He is the most annoying
    person in any video game ever. Brucie is kind of annoying but kind of funny. I like Jacob for some reason.

I can't stand the tone of the game. On the internet, you find news stories that may be related to your actions in the storyline, they're funny but you may not even see them. Mostly the game is all dull and dreary, with a grey feel to everything.

The gameplay is decent, I love the car control sometimes, but in missions when chasing people (as you will be with the very few unique missions in the game, mostly you just have to hunt someone, chase someone or intercept a drug deal) it gets so annoying. Cars control like a man in dress shoes on an ice rink. Shooting is quite alright.
    The pastimes are so tedious though, quite often you get a call from Roman or one of your other friends asking if you want to go bowling, I think you can disable these but if you do go bowling or whatever, its quite boring and tedious.

This game had alot of good features and alot of bad ones, neither outweigh eachother.
  28. Feb 9, 2014
    Great graphics and soundtrack but the driving aspect of the game is average to say the least and the less said the better about 3rd person shooter and melee side. I wouldn't have this down as the greatest game of all time and i think the professional reviewers just get taken over by the hype.
  29. Feb 9, 2014
    I remember playing this when it first came out and I also picked it up more recently as it was so cheap. I planned to play through and complete the game but unfortunately I have not. The game is by no means bad, lets face it, there are some pretty poor games out there and GTA IV is better than most games. However it just did not get me gripped enough to complete it. It must come down to the fact that this GTA is much more restrictive and less fun than say GTA San Andreas on the ps2. What I remember of GTA growing up is that I used to just put it on, not to play missions all the time, but just to have a laugh, drive fast, fly planes or whatever. GTA IV kind of lost a lot of that. The story is decent and the missions fine overall. But I don't think there is enough variety to keep me entertained through was it probably quite a long game (at least if you do side missions etc).

I have decided to leave this now as I cannot bring myself to play it anymore in order to complete it. After all I should not be forcing myself to play it. Maybe I am being slightly harsh as this game is a number of years old now. I have not yet played GTA V and I plan to pick that up - it is clear that there is more to do so hopefully I will have more fun with that.

GTA IV is a decent game, especially when it was first released, but it did not do enough to keep me hooked on completing the game. Online again seemed ok but I did not play it online so much. For me an open world game like this needs more to do outside of missions. Higher hopes for GTA V.

Overall I give 6/10.
  30. Feb 8, 2014
    I can not actually write a proper review addressing the game content because I could not reach the mission destination due to the terribly awful driving system of the game
  31. Feb 7, 2014
    Despite the public opinion about violence in the GTA series, one can say this game is worthy of many praises. Firstly, it does not show a power-hungry as the protagonist, but a troubled man, disillusioned by corruption in society, despite his involvement in it. This makes the game much deeper and emotionally involving than the previous installment, GTA San Andreas. Although the designs of the buildings and vehicles are lackluster and mundane, the personalities of the characters fill the void left by the lack of any creative design in the game. The character-driven plot of this installment is a gem among all of the other installments in the GTA series. Expand
  32. Feb 1, 2014
    Not Going to lie that i had some fun playing this game,dating,blowing stuff up,hang out with friends BUT they removed some of the fun sides of gta san andreas like hairstyle,Not really that big city.They only focused it on the graphics and stuff.But still it has a great storyline
  33. Jan 4, 2014
    Its a great game but compare to previous GTA, its a huge setback despite the graphics. The story is great for a videogame but not movie standard, the gameplay is a hit or miss, the graphics is great for 2008 but the physic engine is stupid as hell, the driving is realistic but its so annoying and a pain in the ass to drive any vehicle and after you complete all the mission, you got nothing else to do with Singplayer campaign like in San Andreas. Expand
  34. Dec 11, 2013
    Technically this game is very good. The story is good, the ending of the story is one off the most gripping moments ever. But, why is this game gta? Why has this game an open world? There is nothing do do in the open world, not like in the previous gta games. The gameplay has improved a lot over previous installments but if they focused on the story, made this exact game but more linear and focus more on the gameplay it could've been so much better. Such a big and beautiful world and nothing to do in it. It's a shame. Expand
  35. Nov 25, 2013
    The game has too many annoyances for me to play. I would put it lower, but the game still has a hint of the wacky freedom you see in GTA. But with that said it has an annoying friend mechanic, a story too dark for GTA, and some really annoying missions.
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    This is simply the best GTA storyline i have ever played, even better than Grand Theft Auto V, the graphics are pretty nice for 2008 and the gameplay it's quite awesome, well the negative part is that the game abuse of the "Blur" technique and you don't got many personalization options for Niko.
  37. Nov 1, 2013
    I regret to say I was swept up in the moment. Jumped on the bandwagon. Became a sheep to the games industry... and I regret it. Looking back now I realise just how austere GTA IV was. Once you had completed the game there was nothing more to do but tedious side missions. the campaign was only just better but the ending was a let down. This game was a large step back from its predecessor and dare I say it............................... Overrated. I do hate that word.)

Perhaps I am being to harsh, after all it was an old game on a brand new console back then. No one had played a game like it before on an Xbox or Ps3. however as games got better, you start to realise the flaws in a game you once thought the world of.
    To start of with the story is a bit cliché. some missions are a bit hit and miss. the cover mechanics are clunky and un-polished but the shooting is much like the others so no problems there. Driving is quite a nuisance because all the vehicles are massively heavy and cannot swerve without crashing. Speaking of crashing though, the explosions looked amazing back then and still hold up now. Despite the name of the game you wont want to commit any crimes though. The police apparently see everything and know exactly where you are when hiding. this angers me as it pretty much messes up an iconic part of GTA. exploring the city can be fun at times but I would take a helicopter.( the cheat is 359-555-0100 on Nikos phone).

But I could forgive that all if it wasn't for your cousin ringing you up every fifteen minutes to do dull activities with him. If you don't then his bond declines with you. Its punishment either way. At least let us say no.
    At the end of the game you have all your money so what do you spend it on... all. There is only a few things you can spend money on. Weapons which you will find anyway and clothes which there is very little choice of.

My verdict is that this game is not as good as the gleaming glistening reviews it got. But I understand why they gave it those perfect reviews and that's because we all did. Everyone who bought the game at one point, loved it. But time rots everything and surely enough when you want to replay years from now... you will sigh a breath of boredom when dear old cousin rings you up
  38. Oct 26, 2013
    It's simply a not enough game. Never understand why this game got such score like 98. The graphics may look improved, but the gameplay elements are horrid. There is nothing but pure randomness in storyline. I shouldn't have bought this.
  39. Oct 24, 2013
    How do you morons like this game. It is gloomy and the cars make walking become fun because they suckkkkkkkk. Give this game to someone obese and they will walk to return it.
  40. Oct 20, 2013
    'Grand Theft Auto IV' is, lets face it, a great game. I found GTA IV to be so fulfilling, so deep, so interesting. The story based around Niko Bellic is a great one, possibly one of the best in the series. But, this great, beautiful game has a lot of drawbacks that for me lowered the score. The first; is that it isn't fun. Yes, GTA has always been fun, but, I feel that Rockstar wanted to create a dramatic, serious film-like game where we just sit back and watch. I did mission after mission, because I couldn't find fun stuff to do in the spare time between missions.
    The atmosphere in Liberty City also makes the game seem boring, drab, and bland. Everything is colourless, grey, and just has an overall sad feel to it.

The second; is that your friends will constantly call you whilst you're doing something important. I can't count how many times I've heard Roman (Niko's Cousin) ask me if I wanted to go 'bowling' with him. This may not seem like a major issue, but, I warn you that it will get very annoying when your cousin constantly interrupts your daily shoot-out with the police, or a very important part of a mission.

Other than these issues, I found 'GTA IV' to be enjoyable. But, I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I did its predecessors. Overall, I recommend 'IV' for a hardcore fan of the series, but, I must warn you that although 'IV' is similar to its predecessors, it lacks a lot of traits that made the previous installments so amazing!
  41. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is completely and utterly terrible. Its boring and repetitive and ridiculously frustrating. The only thing I liked was the city. Liberty City breathes and feels real, That's the only thing I like about this game, other then that, it's simply terrible and a waste of money. Even the textures are terrible for its time.
  42. Oct 6, 2013
    GTA IV is quality. The expanded game world and other additional features enhance game-play, and its undeniably long storyline fails to become un-exciting, even after hours. The new Liberty City is memorable, and provides the perfect backdrop for GTA IV's story to take place.
  43. Sep 29, 2013
    No me maten, pero en mi opinión personal hubiera podido ser infinitamente mejor, pero cuando digo "infinitamente" significa que obviamente y conociendo a Rockstar hubieran podido hacer algo excesivamente mejor. Un mapa muy pequeño, gráficos que dejan mucho que desear, la jugabilidad es mala, no puedes hacer tanta variedad de cosas como en las anteriores entregas. Pero me divierto atropellando peatones y tirándome desde los techos, pero me hace quedar como idiota, espero que se esfuercen con "Grand Theft Auto V". Expand
  44. Sep 25, 2013
    EN: Grand Theft Auto IV doesn't only presents the player to the most charismatic protagonist of the whole series, but is emotionally deep, viscerally addictive and takes place at an amazingly built Liberty City. The handbreak is s*** and makes the car slide everywhere like a godd*** ski, and some missions like the pingeons one may be a pain in the a** for some, but overall, Grand Theft Auto IV is a masterpiece.

PT-BR: Grand Theft Auto IV não só apresenta o jogador ao protagonista mais carismático de toda a série, mas emocionalmente profundo, visceralmente viciante e se passa em uma Liberty City incrivelmente construída. O handbreak não funciona e faz o carro deslizar em todos os lugares como um maldito ski, e algumas missões secundárias, como a dos pigeons, podem ser um pé no saco para alguns, mas no geral, Grand Theft Auto IV uma obra-prima.
  45. Sep 18, 2013
    Pay absolute no attention to the ignorant buffoons that gave this masterpiece of a video game a negative score. Crybabies that no nothing about what makes a game playable and fun. This game is just that: playable and fun. The story, albeit dark, is brilliantly told, (there is one mission in particular that is absolute genius) the set of characters are the more colorful and engaging of any GTA game so far and the gameplay is polished. Oh, and the graphics are not bad at all. The effect used to make a rainy day look bleak and depressing is phenomenal. Make no mistake. This game deserves the hype. Expand
  46. Sep 16, 2013
    I guess for its time it was good but when other, better Rockstar Games release and they don't have a score close to this, you are going to have a problem. I don't really understand how this boring game got rated so high, games like Red Dead Redemption should have had this score. The DLC made this game 100 times better
  47. Aug 28, 2013
    Rockstar has been making the exact same game ever since GTA3 came out on PS2. Why are people acting like GTA4 is something different? It’s not, except for two things: it’s on a new generation of consoles and is actually worse than GTA3.

First off: anyone praising the graphics is blind or has never played a video game before this one. Textures are muddled, colors are drab, environments
    are bland, all of which combines to make it difficult to see where you are and where you’re going.

Second: they jacked up the driving physics of the game so now it feels like everything is moving underwater. Turns that used to be simple now send you sliding into walls, which gets frustrating given the large number of slow, crappy cars you seem to be forced to drive in this game.

Third: the stale mission-structured gameplay is exactly the same as it was over 10 years ago. It’s so tedious now. You get a mission giver, you have to drive across town to start the mission, then you have to drive to your mission destination, then back to your house if you want to keep your car. Fail the mission and you have to start the commute again. They have even added in “features” like toll booths now, which create traffic on bridges that honestly make you feel like you are commuting to work because if you charge through them you get an automatic wanted rating.

Oh, and did I mention something about keeping a car you want available? Well, in this game they decided to do away with garages for some reason. You know: the places you used to be able to store vehicles. Now your various pads with have one or two parallel parking spaces out in the middle of the AI-trafficked street and if you park a car there *perfectly* it will be saved. However, if it’s a big car or if the AI traffic knocks it slightly out of place, it will be gone when you reload.

Possibly the most annoying new “feature” of this series is the dating mini-games. You can hang out with certain people to increase their affection toward you, which reaps you certain benefits, but then ALL of them CONSTANTLY call you to hang out, even if you’re in the middle of a mission getting chased by the cops, or in the middle of commuting to do your next mission, or commuting home from your last mission. Whatever. And if you tell them no, even if it’s your own cousin asking you to go bowling again, though you just went bowling with him two days ago, he will get upset and you’ll lose affection. You can’t tell them no.

Also, Liberty City is big but incredibly empty. You will not be rewarded for exploring b/c there is simply not much out there. Instead of secret packages to collect, this time around you have to kill special pigeons, which are very frustrating to find even with the help of a guide. I got to about 20 or so before I asked myself why the hell I was doing it, because I wasn’t having any fun.

Finally, the “story” I keep seeing so many positive reviews refer to is stupid & nonsensical. You’re an illegal alien who begins a career as a professional criminal as soon as you step off the boat. Not much different from any other GTA protagonist aside from not already being a US citizen, right? Except now you’re Borat. AMAZING! There IS NO story! You’re a criminal who makes friends with other criminals throughout the game and then commits criminal acts. *spoiler*

Furthermore, while there may well be 20 hours’ worth of cutscenes (which tend to go on forever) & dialogue (which also never ends during your mission commutes with NPCs), it seems like it was all written by a 10-year old boy. Penis & fart jokes, characters needlessly dropping f-bombs twice a sentence to be “edgy” (I guess), and all-around lame humor in general that makes you roll your eyes and want to skip through every cutscene you come across. Unless you are a 10-year old boy, in which case I guess you’d be in heaven. Maybe that’s the targeted demographic now?

But Rockstar will keep making the same game as long as sheep keep buying it. Anyone who wants to see what an improvement in this genre looks like, I’d direct you toward Saints Row the Third. Not the best game ever, but one that is actually, you know, “fun” to play. Something Rockstar left out of GTA4.
  48. Aug 17, 2013
    10 out of 10.

Excellent story. Unbelievable variation. Hilarious ragdoll physics. Incredible design. Amazing graphics. What else can I say? Grand Theft Auto IV surpasses any hype and brings on more of that open-world chaos that we love and hold dearly about the Grand Theft Auto series.

But I do have some complaints... Firstly, some missions can feel repetitive. It's constantly about
    stealing things, killing targets and escaping whoever is chasing you. Of course it's fun, but it's bit too much a times. Also, in many missions, you are told to kill the person you're chasing, but you cant because you have to reach a cutscene or a certain point before they can actually take damage. That is misleading, quite annoying and just a waste of bullets.

But over-all, such small gripes are, of course, nothing that can pull down this game from a perfect 10 out of 10 score, thanks to the things mentioned on the first row.
  49. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the few PS3 games I just couldn't finish. The storyline didn't grab me at all, and the characters were as dull as dishwater. But the *real* problem I had with this game, ironically enough, is that it was TOO realistic. Travelling from one mission to the next was a time-consuming chore, and one I had to repeat way too often if I failed a mission. Then the minutia of things like dating had me restless. I tried, thinking that it would eventually click for me, but while the environment was technically impressive, I found that the game wasn't the kind of escapist entertainment I play video games for. I even tried the DLC to see if those picked up the pace, and I just flat wasn't having fun.

I know some folks love it, and that's great. It just wasn't the right game for me.
  50. Aug 13, 2013
    The game is good I admit but its ower rated.. its not 10/10 game... you ahve a 4 city sandbox game with lot of things to do but the story line, the physics... They ruin stuff
  51. Jul 27, 2013
    +first few missions are fun +its fun to drive, even with the horrible vehiclecontrol -Horrible Vehiclecontrol -Horrible Shootingmechanics -Bad graphics, even for 2008 -Boring Story -Only Hacker/Cheater in Multiplayer -Multiplayer is very bad designed. You need like 10 minutes to get in a game -Bad Police/Crimesystem: Police will come after you, even if they never saw you doing the crime
    -No other environment than the City.

Sorry, but 98 is just ridicolous. Im a huge GTA fan, but this GTA is not good in my opinion
  52. Jul 24, 2013
    Reviews for this are probably a little too high mainly, because this is one of the first few great games to come out on the ps3. Although this game will keep playing for due to its compelling storymode in single player with several side missions and its online multiplayer has many different modes to keep you glued to the game. Also in first person story mode you can still roam around doing whatever you want but the wanted level is more realistic seems tougher. The game does have glitches and cops have tried catching me after they hit my back bumper like I did something... Plus I had my police sirens on and was trying to catch someone and th police cars wouldn't get out of the way and I hit them and my car exploded. The busses in multiplayer are also glitchy and sometimes you could trapped under the map. Other than that everything was fine in the game to me. The critics grade should be more like a 91. Expand
  53. Jul 20, 2013
    this game is epic i'm excited for gta v for those who thing this isn't that great,gta v is gonna blow your mind away. People says it has bad framerate? its your computer that is the problem get a decent one and it would work flawlessly the storyline is great actually
  54. Jul 13, 2013
    It's a great game overall. Maybe it's a little bit too realistic. I wanted to see a little bit of unrealism in it. I also think that the game is overrated. Like I said, it's a great game, but previous GTA games were better in some ways. So, 8/10
  55. Jul 13, 2013
    Grand Theft Auto bringing back a much larger world with a more for the story game unlike san andreas where you probably spent most of your time beating up hookers, hobos and the police and nato force. GTA4 brings you a wonderful cast of characters where you go in and fight for your American dreams.
  56. Jul 12, 2013
    I started playing GTA when it still was in 2D and I tried all GTA game. This one is a great one with still lot of freedom, lot of possibilities ,good story (the player have to take some choice)...a great game i had pleasure to finish 2 or 3 times!
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here is a summary for those who don’t want to read the whole review (the review contains spoilers).
    +Very Strong Opening
    + (At the time it was released) Good Graphics, but that is not worth shouting about as graphics quickly become out of date.
    +Mini games (e.g. bowling) are well pulled off.
    -Very repetitive missions, with next to no variety making the game boring, as you go to a location kill someone/or collect something, 50 times.
    -Virtually no customisation, which makes your character feel no different from start to finish, reducing the level of fun.
    -Very annoying aspects like terrible driving.
    -Boring combat
    -Very average story, with limited variety.

In short buy Saints Row 2, Sleeping Dogs or even Gta San Andreas, these games are far superior, and are more fun. Gta 4 is worth a rental at most.

Full Review
    The start of the game is very strong, as you become immersed in wanting to find out about Niko Bellic and how he struggles to find the “American Dream”. The graphics (at the time it was released) were of good quality, giving the game the look of a next generation grand theft auto game.

However you quickly realise that the game falls flat on nearly every level.

One of the annoyances of the game you will notice very quickly is the driving, which while fun at first, proves to be a dump on your front door step. This is because all vehicles feel very similar and under steer like or if you apply too much throttle over steer like they were on ice. The use of toll gates and crashing every five seconds resulting in you falling out the windscreen, only serve as the bits of sweet corn in the dump on your door step. Such a terrible driving system, further serves as a reminder of how much Rockstar have removed from San Andreas, because the driving in that was insane and FUN.

Another annoyance is how there is nothing to spend your money making it pointless. Unlike in previous games where you could buy property and businesses making you feel like a bad ass overlord, in Gta 4, you can buy clothes, a few guns (less than you could get in Gta San Andreas) and food. This is something you will notice as it adds to the lack of depth in Niko, as his primary motive is money, yet he can’t spend it on anything so what is the point, in him risking his arse every 5 seconds.

Another of the many annoyances is the character interaction. Your uncle (Roman) is one the most annoying characters in gaming history, constantly being a little Jacob is a walking, talking serotype as is Packie, (and his whole family). However the worst character (unfortunately) is the one you play as (Niko). He is basically a black stale, and while Rockstar tried to add depth to his character by revealing his story of being a former army solider gradually, ultimately it amounts to nothing of interest, demonstrating a lack of depth to his character.

With regards to the story, there is nothing ground breaking here, as it is your standard revenge story, nothing as gripping as Sleeping Dogs which was predictable was still enjoyable. The only really noticeable moment of the story is the choice at the end (Spoiler alert) where you get to choice if Roman dies or Kate dies by undergoing one of two missions prior to the event. However it falls flat, as you want to kill off Roman, but if you do Kate disappeared, making it better to keep the annoying prick (Roman) alive over the only decent character in the story (Kate). Furthermore the choice has no impact on the actually ending, making it rather pointless. I can see where they were going, trying to make it a dark and quite depressing story, but honestly with all the annoyances of Niko, I couldn’t care less about what happens to him. This ultimately means that the story, like the game on the whole, falls flat.

However possible the main problem with the game is how there is NO variety in anything. This can be seen by how in the following areas GTA 4, has limited variety, Missions (in Gta4 you virtual go from location to location killing people, with minimal challenge as the Enemy A.I have a tendency to just peek out of cover exposing their heads making for easy head shots or suicide charge; and no build up. In San Andreas there while Enemy A.I is retarded the variety of missions make up for it), Customisation (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you could get tattoos, haircuts, and tons of clothes; in Gta4 you can only buy a limited number of clothes), Vehicles (in San Andreas and Saints Row 2 you had tons of vehicles and planes, in Gta4 there is only like 3 helis and no planes). This lack of variety makes it so it feels that Rockstar removed all of what made San Andreas so great, and replaced it with mediocrity dullness.

All these mind-numbing elements ultimately make the game annoying without enough irritations to make you turn it off. This, from a studio that gave us games like Max Payne 3, Bully etc., amounts to a great disappointment.
  58. Jul 6, 2013
    The review score for this game is an embarrassment and testament to what is happening to video gaming. The 10's given to this game by "professional" reviewers are clearly not just about the quality of the game. The reviewers have clearly been influenced by other factors. Gaming review scores in general have clearly become favors to the game developers, and this is an example of that taken to extremes.

Now, having said that, I am not saying this is a bad game. In fact, it is actually a very good game, but to call it perfect or near perfect is absurd. It's also very odd that a lot of "professional" reviewers are indicating that they are scoring the game higher because it is newer and has better graphics, etc. Since when did we start doing this? If this is how we are going to look at games then all of the new games are all better than older games. I guess "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare" is way better than the original "Alone in the Dark" because it is so much newer and has graphics that are far more advanced. No, that can't be right because "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare" was almost universally declared a piece of garbage, while "Alone in the Dark" is frequently listed as one of the best games of all time. (It's worth mentioning that the game developer for the newer game threatened reviewers with a lawsuit over their reviews of the game when it came out.)

Getting back to GTA IV, there are far too many flaws for it to be considered near perfect. This one is obviously subjective to some extent, but the music and radio is very disappointing when compared with previous versions. I'll allow this to not even count since it is so subjective, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I quickly turned off the radio and left it off. I never did that in any of the previous versions. Still, this is one of the great features of the GTA series that makes it standout from other games that do not even have this feature so I won't count this.

This may also be subjective to some extent, but the story and characters are boring with a capital B. The characters look and sound boring. We went from actors like Ray Liotta as the main character in "GTA: Vice City" to the crap in GTA IV? I'm curious if anyone out there cares about Nikko and his cousin at all. Even the other hoods that give you your jobs are boring. While watching and listening to the video in the game for the first time I wanted to just skip over it. For me, the music, story, and characters alone make this game far less entertaining than all previous versions of the GTA series. This version of GTA is also too serious. I always thought some of the negative things (violence, sex, etc.) said about the GTA series in the media were a bit ridiculous because it was hard to see how anyone could take the games that seriously, but with this version I can see their point a little, (Just a little!) because it's too serious. One last thing, the game seems much less creative in it's content than previous iterations.

I am not going to go over the good or great facets of this game because that has been done to death. I just wanted to post a review to comment on how overrated the game is, even though it is still an excellent game.
  59. Jul 5, 2013
    I will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made a faithful representation of NY. I found no reason to play multiplayer because the single player did everything I was hoping for. Not the best game in the series, but it does many things right. Like the story, characters, graphics and an open world to explore. Expand
  60. Jul 3, 2013
    I will not give a perfect score, because the graphics are amazing, the world is believable, the characters are perfect, but there are some problems with the game, such as driving, is a bit difficult to drive in this game, and once we got to the end of the game there are no activities to do. But the story is perfect, the voice acting is superb, and once again, rockstar made ​​a faithful representation NY. I found no reason to play multiplayer because the single player did everything I was hoping for. Not the best game in the series, but it does many things right. Like the story, characters, graphics and an open world to explore. Expand
  61. Jun 28, 2013
    Story: The story is really good on the 2nd and 3rd act, but takes it's time on the 1st act. The story can also be a little too long for most people stretching in around 25-30 hours without doing any side activities. The voice acting and writing are both great with some clever and funny dialogues to make you laugh a bit, and I actually liked some of the characters in this game.
    Graphics:
    Right now, GTA IV's visuals are nothing special, but back in 2008, I'm sure the graphics were innovative. Facial models are above average, but the one place GTA IV excels at is the world design. Liberty City was suppose to be Rockstar's version of NY, and even to this day, LC still looks great (especially at night). The atmosphere is great, and each pedestrian I meet looks different from the last.
    Gameplay: One innovation added in GTA IV is a cover system which is not bad, but I've seen better in Gears of War and Uncharted, the hand-to-hand combat felt awkward, and the shooting still works (auto-aim can get annoying since it sometimes aims at civilians instead of enemies). The vehicles are fun to drive, but the brakes take a second or 2 to work. Since the story is long, there are going to be a lot of missions to complete (94 in total). The biggest problem I had with this game is that the mission variety is low.(Shootouts, Running from the cops, a few heli missions, and vehicle chases). I really hated the motorcycle chases since I kept falling off the cycle, and the guy I'm chasing can handle 30 SMG rounds and not fall off the bike. This meant I had to RESTART THE MISSION since there's NO CHECKPOINT in missions there are checkpoints in the episodes however). I was also disappointed by the short number of cheats in the game.
    Multiplayer: Even though more people are playing on the episodic multiplayers, the main game's multiplayer is still fun to play. You got your standard deathmatches, races, and story CO-OP missions, but you also got free roam which is a blast to play online with others.
    Overall: GTA IV is starting to feel outdated with all the new sandbox games coming out, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to play. With a good story, funny dialogues, and crazy multiplayer, GTA IV is definitely worth $20 Rating: 8
  62. Jun 19, 2013
    What happens when you've crammed excellent physics, a really engaging plot line, hilarity, crime, and decent graphics into 1 video game? Grand Theft Auto IV. This game is nothing BUT fantastic, and if you actually have a real sense of humour, you would laugh at the flying cars blowing up in mid air while rotating in circles. It may not sound that great when you just read it from here, but believe me, you have GOT to try this game for yourself if you want any kind of fun. Expand
  63. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best GTA in the series for sure. The same good action, same good fun, same good shootings in the street with the police and the gangs. This is what i call a good and interesting stories. I felt so bad in the ending because of the Niko girlfriend's death (don't remember the name right now, played the game one or two years ago) and i love games that make me really feel the story that i almost cried like in the Red Dead Redemption ending. One of the best third shooter games i played and one of the top games on this generation. Perfect 10 in this game, perfect story, great gameplay, funny characters and cruel characters made this game so good! GTA San Andreas, GTA IV and Vice City stories are the best! Expand
  64. Jun 19, 2013
    First off, I am a HUGE Grand Theft Auto fan (GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas were all amazing). When it came to GTA IV, simply put the characters and story were lacking greatly. You were in a concrete jungle the entire time and could not even get into a helicopter or airplane. Graphics were great, controls were better than average. But not sure what went wrong, but this should have been so much better. Easily the worst GTA in the series. Thank goodness Rockstar made up for it with Red Dead Redemption. Expand
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is no doubt awesome. The story is fairly good, but who plays GTA for the story? I love to just drive around, picking up prostitutes and shooting cops. Whip out the phone, enter some cheats and you have infinite amounts of fun.

The story was good though. Niko is an interesting character and likewise for his brother (Roman). I played through once and then got half way through a
    second time. It was fairly engaging and enjoyable. But does offer limited scope for imagination.

Driving around the city and doing your own thing is where the main fun of GTA:IV lies. If only I could without being called every five minutes. Bowling anyone?
  66. Jun 13, 2013
    I don't find this entertaining and fun. I don't mind the ability to steal cars and stuff but I don't know why it got 98/100 that is just ridiculous. But a game to keep in mind is....................WATCH DOGS!!! you can steal cars and hack and control literally anything! The game isn't out yet but it is definantly going to be better than this!
  67. Jun 11, 2013
    This is a great game! However, the frustrating save system and some boring missions that feel like they were just added as filler to make the game longer hold this back from being the instant classic that it could have been! but this is still a great game that anybody who is a fan of crime/ mobster movies should definitely check out!
  68. Jun 7, 2013
    I hate giving 0's but theres something about this game. Its playability is minimal nevermind the concept of replayability. Graphically it's a treat, that aside, it's mediocre.
  69. Jun 6, 2013
    VERY disappointing, glitches, bad art style/graphics, and lower frame rate on PS3 and Xbox 360 versions make this game a cliche'd crime story at best.
  70. Jun 5, 2013
    Its good, its fun, its great. its big. but its not perfect. The driving feels very heavy. Great game overall though. I Like how the game has so many different types of missions~
  71. Jun 2, 2013
    This game was why I joined the site. Just to be able to take back all the bad things I said about GTA 4. There is no good excuse to not like this game. You could not like games like this, you could not like games at all, even in these situations, you have to admit GTA is impressive. I never found GTA fun before. I would play San Andres for 20 minutes, cause havoc, get bored, say how do people do this all day? GTA 4 is special. It gets boring still, but those twenty minutes are spectacular. They don't feel cheap, they feel like the perfect mix of simulator, mixed with arcade, mixed with art, and when it's over you can quit for the day, or you can play the story. Once I allowed myself to get immersed into the game, instead of playing out of spite because he wasn't Italian, didn't look like me, didn't like how he dressed, whatever I didn't feel like giving a chance at that point. Once you start to get a feel for the story it's just an obvious masterpiece in every way. If you're not into adult, Soprano-esk violence, you might be uncomfortable through some missions, but just to see how spectacularly realized this living, breathing, city is, I'd pick it up for the 10 bucks I'm sure it now costs. When I first played it I was annoyed at the driving, because I couldn't pick it up and be immediately and be good at it, because I had forgotten how games used to be. The game is not easy, it offers a challenge, usually a fair one, like all games should. And the driving, it grows on you, and I don't think they could have done a better job with it. I really don't. Expand
  72. May 28, 2013
    Highly stylized environments and characters can't make up for the fact that compared to its predecessor the gameplay is a little dull and unoriginal now. Niko Bellic, while as cool as toast, was not a character I could fall in love with and I found myself not giving a rats for him, his friends or adventures. This was not a bad game by any means, fun for a rampage here and there, but there's only so much of that that holds my attention before seeking a more immersive and emotive exerience that GTA4 just didn't offer me. Expand
  73. May 27, 2013
    So, another boring turd wrapped in pretty graphics. Gone are the fun, arcady driving mechanics, replaced by cars that handle like horizontal freezers on wheels. Gone are the mini-games that provides hours of fun distractions. The fun content in previous incarnations has been replaced by a boring dating sim, and predominately boring shooting missions. The characters are flat out obnoxious in my opinion. Tommy Vercetti was friggin' cool, Bellic is a pansy by comparison.
    It's great as a tech demo. I can't fault Rockstar for getting the detail of the city down, but it just feels there's less to do. It's a crazily detailed city, but hell you can't even Vigilante in this one.
    I hope GTA V isn't just another tech demo like this one was.
  74. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GAMEPLAY:

Grand Theft Auto is renowned for having a sandbox, complete with a plethora of distractions like socializing and dating, going to clubs, bars, strip-clubs and just having a good time in game. You will definitely find a hard time getting bored in Liberty City, which is a whole different story. The city itself is huge, and at any glance no matter what burrow looks like Rockstar’s imagining of NYC but in their own GTA world.
    Combat at first glance may seem to be tricky but eventually you will get a handle on the combat system. The melee system consists of several different attacks that when used in different combinations can prove to be effective against the opponent. Gunfights can be a little boring but when in a large skirmish with the cops or online against waves of enemies will make lasting memories.

Perhaps the finest points of combat in the game though is in the cars. There is nothing in the game that compares to doing a drive-by shooting or firing at the cops during a high-speed chase. Vehicular combat was fine-tuned perfectly that allows the player(s) to engage in awesome shoot outs on the road, no matter what the vehicle is... from a moped to an armored truck.
    Driving is easy, with basic controls for ALL vehicles though it may be hard to grasp the comfort of driving boats and aircraft. Perhaps the hardest vehicle to drive though are the motorcycles, they have a very high speed, horrible handling, and will pretty much launch you if you hit ANYTHING at a high velocity. Just another taste of reality but don’t expect to be a pro motorcyclist or pilot right off.

SOUND/MUSIC:

The game’s radio soundtrack is very unique and a lot of the songs fit well in not just the game but the story. Players can choose from an array of music like rock, hip-hop, rap, techno, and even talk shows. The citizens of liberty city all have very different personalities, and voices, Rockstar did a good job making the non-essential NPC’s seem unique.
    Other than the radio stations in the cars in the game, the game doesn’t have an “epic score” or an everlasting soundtrack that will have you streaming the web to listen to. But overall the sound quality of the guns, the people, the cars, and even the ambience really polish this game up and show how Rockstar games tried to make this game as realistic as possible.

STORY:
    You play as Niko Bellic an eastern-european (it is never really made clear where Nikos is from) who just moved from his homeland to Liberty City. The game takes off with you joining your cousin Roman who has made himself a nice little taxi business that he calls the beginning of the “american dream”. Over the course of the game Niko has to fight bikers, russians, gangsters, and cops... when suddenly his past catches up with him.
    The plot spans from Niko going “from the streets of Liberty City to the skyline of wealth”. As the player helps different factions and crime lords, Niko himself finds out that America is no different than the very war and the troubling past he has suffered.

ENGINE:

Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine isn’t special by “today’s standards”. There are few bugs, but even the ones in game can turn out to be quite funny or amusing. Online gameplay is really great, and unique. Until Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, Grand Theft Auto 4’s engine alongside Red Dead Redemption HAVE TO BE Rockstar’s finest works.
  75. May 10, 2013
    Just another perfect example of great games coming onto next-gen and then they suddenly change it by making it so realistic (not as in graphics but gameplay). You can't get tanks, you can't buy safe houses, no vehicle customization, no aeroplanes or jets, no food options, so many things you can in the other GTA games but not in this, probably because the fact you can't do them in reality, still no checkpoints in missions, the missions are unimaginative and boring, nothing really unrealistic, no robbing, no other things, how bland and boring is that? no raiding things, or big ship missions and no other things as well and non that include starting a big firefight, other than that bank mission in this game. This game takes itself way too seriously and way too much like reality, you can't simply start a massive fight with the cops and army and have fun with it and do other fun things. You can't simply do things to earn lots of money, but then again why do I bother? Not much things to spend on. Not even garages to store your vehicles. Having to hang out and play about with friends in this games gets very repetitive and boring, not much clothes to get from store, no gambling. This games gets very boring and I have many other reasons for hating this game as well but lost track of. As for the weapons, NO chainsaw, no flamethrower, no sword, and other missing weapons. I don't understand what's so good about this game and HOW is it better than the rest? Yes, this is my opinion but you got to agree that Rockstar has changed and become like typical developers who wants their game so much like reality. Don't you agree that Rockstar has stripped away so much with GTA IV from the previous games? You probably do really like this game, but there is no way you can consider this the best GTA game. Expand
  76. May 7, 2013
    GTA IV is a good game. I enjoy the open-world and non-linear game designs in GTA IV. You are free to jack any vehicle you like and kill anyone you dislike. You are free to complete the missions in any order you want.

It is a good game. Graphics(7/10), audio(9/10), storyline(8/10) and gameplay(8/10).
  77. May 5, 2013
    Perhaps the greatest game of this generation. Not much else to said really. GTA is a phenomenal series. Not just because it sells billions of dollars worth of games but because the quality of Rockstars gaming giant is just simply outstanding. If you've been living under a rock of the last 5 or so years and haven't played GTA 4, the all I gotta say is. Play the sh!t outta this masterpiece of pixellated awesomeness. It's that good. Play it. Go. Expand
  78. May 4, 2013
    An average story, with actually not that good characters, the graphics are decent, the gameplay is good with a lot of guns and the normal stuff on a GTA game but unfortunately not much else. It's average GTA game, not the best but not the worst either.
  79. Apr 30, 2013
    Loved it i have played it multiple times since launch day and it is still the highlight of my gaming collection.
    It features a great story once you get past the 20 odd tutorial missions and a huge open high def world that rivals most open worlds to this date in terms of detail put into the world.

The characters are very well developed and the sounds are great.
  80. Apr 23, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. The graphics look amazing. The story line is great, the characters are amazing and the missions are awesome.
  81. Apr 23, 2013
    I have never been a fan of the Grand Theft auto series due to the large maps and the ever increasing amount of rubbish you can do on them (get a hircut get tattoos and bunny hop over lampposts on bicycles). However i reluctantly agreed to purchase this game as a joint buy with my brother. Firstly i would like to say that the graphics have always lacked on these games due to the small disc sizes and the large maps and information needed to be stored. With the blueray discs though the huge maps and information is still great but there is a hell of a lot more memory on the discs to produce some of the greatest graphics you will see.

The storyline is by far the best on any GTA game that has preceeded this one. And the gameplay is so amazing that even when you run people down in your car, they never ever fell the same way twice.

The reason i gave this game 4 and not 5 stars was purely because i didnt think the online multiplayer was good enough, the lobby system was poor and you are left hanging around for long.

If you want this game as an online multiplayer then i can suggest some which are much better. For a one player arcade game however. look no further! It is amazing.
  82. Apr 18, 2013
    GTA IV is very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  83. Apr 7, 2013
    I love this game is perfect everything is just awesome in every department the story the graphics, the gameplay is just perfect the general vibe that the game ends up giving you all together with the freedom it deserves a ten cause it's perfect
  84. Apr 6, 2013
    GTA IV is such an utter disappointment i was just sad as a long time fan of GTA since PS2 days the series is really messed up now just like Metal Gear Solid the only way to fix these problems is to stop making games first of all im really shocked about how it got so many 10/10's for such a sh**ty game rockstar must have bribed these greedy a*****es for these reviews
  85. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is too over rated.
    98? No... This game, as a GTA, is disappointing. And very much. This game is basic. Yeah, it may have be liked by critics because it was sandbox, but, yeah, nothing more. It has a good amount of bugs and lags, and all the things you can do are bugged. At least on PS3 and PC. I don't know on XBOX360.

I'm sorry... but as I love GTA:SA, I hate GTA:IV. It is
    not GTA. Do we want to talk about the story? It is definitely one of the most boring and lame stories in videogames history. IMO.

Well, I think that I'm generous giving it a 3.
  86. Mar 26, 2013
    The story was boring. Gameplay was boring. However it did have significantly better graphics, just a step down in everything else after gta san andreas. I 'm so glad the next gta isn't in NY.
  87. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is not bad, but certainly it isn't a masterpiece i don't know how this is the best game in all metacritic history, i mean San Andreas was a lot better than GTA4 i hope Rockstar make an awesome GTA with the next one.
  88. Mar 20, 2013
    Still my favorite game for the PS3 with the upgrade in car physics and fantastic storyline I have to give this game a 10 out of 10. for the past 6 years I been playing GTAIV over, and over, again beating it 100% three times and unlocking every trophy making it one of my first platinum trophy's for the PS3 my recommendation (Get it).
  89. Mar 9, 2013
    Best game out there so far, I mean the graphics and physics does still own some of the new games coming out. The game is filled with action and the free roam aspect is the best of all the free roam games out there. If you haven't played this game yet, then you have missed something big in your life.
  90. Mar 3, 2013
    Great sandbox game. What makes this game is really the city and how dynamic it feels. The physics are nice and the graphics awesome. Really like the main character too. He is cool. :-D
  91. Feb 23, 2013
    R* never fail to disappoint. While the map is limited compared to San Andreas, you can't help but feel attached to the characters and adore the weapons within the game. There's a bigger element of realism to GTA IV compared to all the previous games... but this makes it interesting to see progression unravel throughout the entire story. While the cars feel kind of cubic driving around in the new controls are much better than before. If you haven't played it before you do before V comes out. Expand
  92. Feb 1, 2013
    GTA 4 is a slight downgrade from the previous games in the series, it is missing many of the elements that made the previous installments of the series amazing games but at the same time adds some cool new stuff also. The biggest negative this game has is it's story missions and side missions, these felt like a repetitive bore rather than a supposed amazing experience that they were promised to be. Most characters in the game felt boring and uninteresting even the main character of newly settled Liberty city resident Niko Belic, who just acts like a angry and unfunny stereotypical Russian thought the entire game along with his funny and more interesting cousin Roman Belic.

Another major negative about this game is the decreased map size and lack of vehicles in the game. What made the previous GTA games great is the pure and utter stupidity of them, with over the top vehicles like the hover car or the jet pack and the massive map size with unique and interesting locations to explore like military bases. But GTA 4 falters massively in these categories. It's map size is smaller than previous GTA games like San Andreas and at the same time more uninteresting to explore, with shooting pigeons and playing darts the only to really do. The vehicles in the game are also much more uninspired than previous games, instead of running people down in tanks or causing some chaos in jets, you instead can grab a ride in a taxi and explore the bland area of Liberty city for the insane price of $20 in game dollars. However GTA 4 delivers really well on some features. The multiplayer is a prime example of this, with 14 excellent game modes and a massive 8 players party mode the bland Liberty City can become a hectic and thrilling place. Although there are still some lag and connection problems in the multiplayer. Also worth noting is the visuals of GTA 4 as they are nothing short of amazing and really help make you feel that you are walking around in Liberty city.

Overall GTA 4 is a great game with many flaws, major and minor, but still delivers well on multiplayer and just overall fun. I recommend anybody should go out and buy this game as it offers much enjoyment and epicness. 7/10-Great.
  93. Jan 10, 2013
    This is currently the greatest videogame of all time imo. There's too many fans stuck in 2004. Ak47 and M4 in this game is even damn better than cod when you get use to them. At first I always thought that the GTA3 era was a better franchise but this **** just keeps growing and growing on you. The only downpoint in this game is friendships, dating and could have done better with the radio stations. Weapons:10/10. Driving: 9/10. Liberty City: 10/10. Characters:10/10. Soundtrack: 8/10. 100% Completion:10/10. Expand
  94. Jan 9, 2013
    A good game as all the GTA series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  95. Jan 9, 2013
    most overrated game of all time san andreas is much better overall

GOOD:graphics r very nice and realistic andd detailed bad: the driving, the map is small, the missions, the characters

so if only they made the game with different missions and expanded the map this game couldve been the best ever still have ery high hopes for GTA V!
  96. Jan 5, 2013
    Uhh,really?This is the amazing sequence of the **** awesome game that was San Andreas,srsly,GTA is not a simulator,it's 100% arcade,jump from planes using a parachute falling in a car, destroy it and run with a boxer underwear over here...GTA IV makes you have to make annoying meeting with friends to have a good relationship,is difficult as **** hell and they DIDN'T PUT CHECKPOINTS!!!I have to retry (and when i say retry i say walk half town,ps - scenarios are **** is not a pretty city,i want rural,casinos,and this kind of things) everytime i lose in a difficult mission,30 hours to beat the game approximately,15 of walking half town.
    But i have to say,taking off the no checkpoints thing,GTA IV would be a great game,if it wasn't GTA,because it completely lose the focus fromthe others.
    And the story?4 parts it have:
    1/4 - You meet Roman,know he talked lies and **** him from Vlad and the mafias.
    2/4 - Get mixed in the mafia with faustin and dimitri,this part is ****
    3/4 - WORST ****G PART,occupates half of the storyline,you meet a bunch of characters that you make 3 or 4 missions with them,making you forget EVERY-DAMN-THING about the main story,and there are so many characters,that you don't even know what the **** are you doing for the guy you're makin a mission for
    4/4 - End of the game,PS - ****ty ending
  97. Jan 5, 2013
    Bence GTA4 kadar derin bir hikayeye sahip oyun yoktur.Rockstar Games işini yapmayı biliyor.Ancak oyun ilk haliyle bir bug yuvası son sürüm patch'i yükelemeden asla oynamayın derim.İyi Oyunlar
  98. Dec 31, 2012
    GTA4 has too many issues, too many repetitive missions, and too many downfalls to be considered anything else than over-hyped. The story could have been more addictive, and the missions are either too easy or way-too-hard. There are so few true innovations, and overall it feels like a step backwards, which is a huge disappointment, especially for such masters as Rockstar.
  99. Dec 29, 2012
    Grand Theft Auto 4 is easily the best game I have ever played. The adaption of New York in this game is phenomenal, and the storyline is the most exciting and interesting I have ever experienced. Rockstar did an amazing job on this game, and I don't think it will ever be topped.
  100. Nov 30, 2011
    This is the most over rated game ever. REALLY 98? User score tells more about this game... This is like every other GTA, boring after few days. Rockstar has paid for those 100 metascore givers.

1. Grand Theft Auto IV is not a perfect game, but it is fantastic through and through, from start to finish and beyond. It is so massive, vast and impressive that it is almost mind-boggling to imagine how much work must have gone into the game to come up with so much detail.
  2. But GTA IV will never get old, or start repeating itself. It will always offer anyone who turns it on an experience to savour.
  3. GTA4 is a traditional crime story through and through, with a script that rarely strays from its purpose, a pitch-perfect supporting cast, and an expert combination of in-game storytelling and crafted cut-scenes. [June 2008, p.80]