8.2

1. Sep 20, 2013
    GTA V could easily be Game of the Year it has an outstanding story, gorgeous graphics and fantastic gameplay. The world is gorgeous there is so much to do. The story thus far is perfect in every way. The world feels and looks real. This is by far the best GTA game to date and is 10 times better than GTA IV. Forget and ignore the negative reviews they are clearly from very jealous and angryGTA V could easily be Game of the Year it has an outstanding story, gorgeous graphics and fantastic gameplay. The world is gorgeous there is so much to do. The story thus far is perfect in every way. The world feels and looks real. This is by far the best GTA game to date and is 10 times better than GTA IV. Forget and ignore the negative reviews they are clearly from very jealous and angry pc gamers because GTA V is not on PC. I would give GTA V a perfect 100 if I could. If you love playing video games then GTA V is for you my friend. Expand
  2. Sep 22, 2013
    Michael, Franklin y Trevor, tres tipos muy distintos unidos por el destino. Ver Los Santos desde lo alto es sólo uno de los grandes espectáculos de GTAV. Un mundo vivo, complejo y gigantesco! GTAV es simplemente espectacular!!!
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    Grand Theft auto V has left me so mind blown that I can only describe it in singular non sequential words (Kinda) beginning with "Huge", the size of this game is like nothing else I've played on the ps3, With incredible detail to everything composing it's many environments.

"Beautiful, not a single thing in this game is ugly, even things intended to be ugly, It's undeniable that this is one of the best looking games to come to console.

"Insane" I've been playing for a day and I've flown planes between buildings, fought aliens with a minigun, gone on multiple drug trips and encountered some of the strangest game personality's in the history of the GTA series.

GTA V is the best installment of The GTA series so far, and anyone not playing this game is missing out on one of the most beautiful, action packed and hilarious adventures they'll ever encounter!
  4. Sep 20, 2013
    This game is perfect. Anyone giving it a rating under an 8 either hasn't played it or is blind and deaf. Just playing for half an hour you can tell how much hard work was put into making this game and that is what I appreciate most about it. Most of the games that are released these days do not have the polished feel of Grand Theft Auto V. I did not experience any bugs or glitches duringThis game is perfect. Anyone giving it a rating under an 8 either hasn't played it or is blind and deaf. Just playing for half an hour you can tell how much hard work was put into making this game and that is what I appreciate most about it. Most of the games that are released these days do not have the polished feel of Grand Theft Auto V. I did not experience any bugs or glitches during my play through of the main story (which I just completed) or the side missions. There are plenty of things to do and random events that occur while you traverse the city and countryside which can shake things up in a good way. I recommend this game to anyone here on metacritic, you will not regret buying this game. Expand
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    Absolutely stellar sandbox action with three fantastically funny protagonists who mix together well with their humor and hijinks in a dark satirical take of California.

Everything that could have been improved on in GTA IV has been, everything that needed to be brought back from San Andreas has been. It's without a doubt the best GTA game in the series so far. The world is jam packed with activities ranging from sports, street racing, submarine diving, rampages, strangers and freaks to meet, collectibles, random events, you name it. Even for the island's vast size it doesn't feel like any part is really wasted.

Without a doubt my new favorite entry in the series.
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    I waited a few days with writing this, just because I wanted to play the game more before judging.
    But after 3 days of gaming I can say this...
    This is most definitely the swan song of this generation.

If they can make games like this on the PS3 then Gaming on the PS4 is going to be heaven.
  7. Sep 19, 2013
    If someone have a problems with GTA series got problem with himself. I've played from GTA SA, GTA IV trilogy and GTA V now and I have to say I love Rockstar and this game. GTA V is just perfect. Nothing more to say. All need to have it. Im sorry about PC for now but hope GTA V will be on PC too (and Im gonna buy it too). In GTA IV I modded almost everything on PC. GTA V? I dont think thatIf someone have a problems with GTA series got problem with himself. I've played from GTA SA, GTA IV trilogy and GTA V now and I have to say I love Rockstar and this game. GTA V is just perfect. Nothing more to say. All need to have it. Im sorry about PC for now but hope GTA V will be on PC too (and Im gonna buy it too). In GTA IV I modded almost everything on PC. GTA V? I dont think that this game needs mods. Nothing more! Just play! Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    Just joining the hype train. After a good solid 2 days playing this game, I wish i could give it a 11/10. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go pick up hookers in my upgraded $1 million dollar Buggati and kill them afterwards.
  9. Sep 20, 2013
    This sure as hell is one of the greatest game of this year! Just keep getting better and better! Very nice story and gameplay, you really feel for the characters in the game and just keep playing!
    I can't even wait for the online mode, gonna be some crazy stuff
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played. Ever. The amount of Detail Rockstar put into this game is absolutely staggering. I have never felt more immersed in a video game in my life. This is all serious. I am in love with this game. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Rockstar put out the game, and it lived up to the hype!
  11. Sep 22, 2013
    I need to set this up properly, I found GTA 4 boring, plain and simple. I sold it after a month back in 08. It had many problems, most of which broke the experience for me. Needless to say, I was apprehensive about the 5th installment, But let me be clear, this is the most cohesive gaming experience I've had in a long while, letting it contend with The Last of Us as my favorite game ofI need to set this up properly, I found GTA 4 boring, plain and simple. I sold it after a month back in 08. It had many problems, most of which broke the experience for me. Needless to say, I was apprehensive about the 5th installment, But let me be clear, this is the most cohesive gaming experience I've had in a long while, letting it contend with The Last of Us as my favorite game of this generation.
    The cars handle much better, and they've borrowed almost all of what really worked from RDR, making the problems I had from 4 a thing of the past. The world is absolutely massive, but an important thing to note is that none of it seems wasted. Buildings seemingly lack the cut and paste of previous iterations, creating an extremely immersive setting for a sandbox. The graphic qualities are great, only made even better by the detailed lighting. The sheen on a car or the blurring of light in the background are stellar and make everything feel true to life.
    The story is an obvious. Rockstar pumps out another quality script, putting satire to good use. It did, however, feel strange and a little disturbing to have no outward motive to rob banks other than just wanting money. These guys aren't anti-heroes, they're just villains, albeit extremely likable. It plays with your perception of right and wrong.
    There are a few nit picks I have, but they honestly can be overlooked for the most part.
    THIS IS WHAT A GAME CAN BE WHEN DEVELOPERS ARE GIVEN PROPER TIME. I would say that this is proof that the annual release method is often detrimental and produces mediocre work.
    In short, please play this. Not for brand recognition, but because this is just a good game.
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    Possibly one of the best examples of open world game design to date.

Possibly one of the best examples of open world game design to date.

Grand Theft Auto has always been a game franchise that pushes boundaries, not only in their controversial subject matter and take on plot and story following the (mis)adventures of criminals and their cohorts, but also the technical way they achieve their vision in the medium. Starting with their first forays, they pushed new limits in the way a game can be (and possibly should be) designed and have not stopped in their continuing process of evolution since.

Many have argued which game is their favorite in the franchise for either story and/or mechanics, and there is no doubt that argument will continue with this entry into the series, but what cannot be argued is this game may well be the next step in evolution not only of the series as a whole, but the potential future of open world games.

Continuing the more "real" approach to the game that Grand Theft Auto 4 took, this game, in some ways, is more realistic than any previous game. There are moments of over the top action and scenes which play out more like a movie than anything one might encounter in real life, but it is still a game, and sometimes fun over rules real.

Fun is a key word that the developers obviously held high in the making of this game. There are a great deal of activities and diversions to partake of in this game as well as random side missions and missions that are stranger than sense might allow (aptly named Stranger and Freak missions). The main missions are well designed (tho still fall prey to many "flaws" in mission design, such as forcing you to chase someone to kill them when they reach their destination instead of just letting you use your equipped gun to blast them on route, or simply forcing you into a specific vehicle when another might be better) and the story is such that you remain invested in the characters as they develop.

That may be the main draw of this game. The characters are so interesting all of them, from main, to side, to extras on the street that you want to see them develop. You feel interested in their weird over the top, and sometimes disturbing lives and want to see "how it all ends". Whether you want it to end well or end badly for each character is personal taste.

Again, you end up with one of the best aspects of the whole game. Personal taste. Whether it is how you complete the missions, when you decide to do them, which side activities you do, how you dress, what cars you drive, or the hair on your head (and face), personal choice is exemplified in this game. The mission structure is so well designed that it makes the open world feel far more open and at the same time inviting. Whether you are out in the country, up in the mountains, or in the main city, you will always feel the freedom to do whatever you want however you want (even if it is simply a game of golf).

The mission structure does not suffer from the absolute open design in this case either. Unlike some games that have tried to give you absolute freedom to take missions in any order you want, but fail at various points, this game has a way of making it feel compelling when you do the missions, but not restrictive when you choose to take them. The story never suffers from the order in which you choose to complete it and in some ways, completing things in a different order might give you different perspectives and lead to new ways to attempt missions.

Replay is high for this game in the franchise. Not only can you replay individual missions by using your in game phone, but the game offers a scoring system for each mission that rates your completion on various factors, leading to built in replay. In addition, you may want to go about playing from a new save multiple times as the open nature of the structure allows for differing perspectives on the overall play through. Without spoiling it, I will say that you should play through every available mission at the beginning of the game between Michael and Franklin from one perspective first, then on a second play from the other... it leads to some interesting views on missions.

Overall the game is a vast improvement in not only the franchise, but in the genre first made famous by the Grand Theft Auto name. We can only hope other developers (and Rockstar too) pay attention to this games successful points and start a new trend in designing future games in the genre.

If you want a comparison, Grand Theft Auto 4, meets Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Meets Red Dead Redemption (without the old west themes).

Note: I cannot in good conscience give this game a 10 as it has some flaws that probably could have been remedied that have plagued the genre since it's inception. Not fixing these after so many years is just not forgivable at this point... a shame too, because otherwise this game is nearly perfect.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    Spectacularly grand in every sense of the word, Grand Theft Auto V delivers a refreshing and vividly satirically take on our modern American style of living. Enjoyable from beginning to end, the game contains three times the amount of replay value thanks to the addition of three protagonists, and an a stunning amount of in-depth mini-games. The graphics are spectacular, and the game hasSpectacularly grand in every sense of the word, Grand Theft Auto V delivers a refreshing and vividly satirically take on our modern American style of living. Enjoyable from beginning to end, the game contains three times the amount of replay value thanks to the addition of three protagonists, and an a stunning amount of in-depth mini-games. The graphics are spectacular, and the game has established itself as not only one of the best looking multi-platform game, but also as one of the best looking games ever. If you do not enjoy any of the GTA games, then now is the time to jump on the bandwagon. Superior writing, and finally modernized gameplay ensure that Grand Theft Auto V is not only the best GTA game, but also the best game that Rockstar has made yet. Expand
  14. Sep 19, 2013
    This as to be the BEST GTA ever made by rockstar and if they keep to what the say and give us free updates and DLC this game will get better and better over the years to come!
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    When I first put gta5 in my ps3, expectations where high. I can say that GTA is one of those games that has always been better than the sum of all its parts...and man, there are MANY of these parts in this one. You can literally spend hundreds of hours outside of the main mission.

Having 3 main characters is awsome and the gameplay elements that this brings to the game is groundbreaking. Be ready for exeptionals on the edge of you'd seat missions. It is also great that the objectives are varied and range from simple 3 minutes walk to elaborate heist set up.

Controls are a bit clumsy, as usual, but the shooting and cover mechanics are greatly improved over gta4. Think red dead redemption. Thank god they fixed the check point system so we don't have to make the same 10 miles drive over and over again. There is even an option to skips a mission if you find it to hard. Its a great option for the casual gamers, preventing someone to be stuck for hours and eventually give up on the game.

In the graphics department, this game pushes the ps3 to its limits. Some other titles are prettier but don't have the sheer size of GTA. Fly a plane over Los Santos a night and you will realize that this game is in a class of its own.

A must buy for every gamer. Its not a perfect game but its damn close. The most bang for your buck this generation.
  16. Sep 18, 2013
    Just amazing, marvelous sandbox and probably the best game that exists. The story is very exiting and with three characters this game is just stunning
  17. Sep 17, 2013
    about 10% into the game.. completed 1st heist... up to the heist cash was hard to come by, especially for Franklin... thus far, a well rounded game... only improvement I would make would be the tageting 'dot'.. it's a little small... maybe the 'holo-graphic dot' would have been better...

love the humor and spoofs at "the american dream"
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    This game gets a 10 because I can literally spend 4-5 hours getting sidetracked and have a complete blast. Not even including everything R* has made to keep me entertained. They have reverted back to the open-world fun that was dripping in GTA:San Andreas on PS2 and that is everything that I have ever wanted. BTW.....it looks GORGEOUS!
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    Greatest game ever. Period. I don't care if you're not a fan of open-world games or can't stand the violence. If you can't appreciate the effort that Rockstar North has put into every facet of this game then why are you even playing video games?
  20. Sep 18, 2013
    One word: MASTERPIECE. Believe the hype: this is the greatest GTA, and the best game out there. The amount of content in this game is really, in its literal form, AWESOME. My only gripe? There aren't enough hours in the day to play this game.
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    Best Game i have ever played, Graphics are awesome, Game play is amazing and the characters compelling! Well Done Rockstar! This is a definite Buy! 10/10
  22. Sep 19, 2013
    Rockstar has done it again. First off, the visuals are spectacular! A great open world experience that pulls the best elements from previous games in the series as well as Red Dead Redemption. The driving and shooting mechanics have been improved tremendously, but it still feels like a GTA game (Which is a good thing.) The upcoming GTA Online is certainly going to add a whole newRockstar has done it again. First off, the visuals are spectacular! A great open world experience that pulls the best elements from previous games in the series as well as Red Dead Redemption. The driving and shooting mechanics have been improved tremendously, but it still feels like a GTA game (Which is a good thing.) The upcoming GTA Online is certainly going to add a whole new dimension which will keep it relevant long after the XBox One and PS4 have released. Expand
  23. Sep 17, 2013
    Look, I'm not going to act like there is NO flaw at all with the game. No game is perfect, but this REALLY the closest you can get to a perfect game. GTA V is seriously the most ambitious video game of all-time. I just can't imagine how will this be toppped, even on next-gen! Yes, you can improve the graphics, but will you be able to produce a game that is as full of content as this game.Look, I'm not going to act like there is NO flaw at all with the game. No game is perfect, but this REALLY the closest you can get to a perfect game. GTA V is seriously the most ambitious video game of all-time. I just can't imagine how will this be toppped, even on next-gen! Yes, you can improve the graphics, but will you be able to produce a game that is as full of content as this game. I doubt it. Rockstar might though! GTA V is almost perfect. 9.9/10. Go buy it! Expand
  24. Sep 17, 2013
    GTAV is the best game I've played in a long time, It is a must own game for anyone who is old enough, as nudity and violence is regular. I vote this the game of the decade. The size of the map. endless random stuff, one could easily put 200+ hours into this game, $60 price is a steal. it is simply the best PS3 game with surprisingly few bugs considering the size, not to mention GTA OnlineGTAV is the best game I've played in a long time, It is a must own game for anyone who is old enough, as nudity and violence is regular. I vote this the game of the decade. The size of the map. endless random stuff, one could easily put 200+ hours into this game, $60 price is a steal. it is simply the best PS3 game with surprisingly few bugs considering the size, not to mention GTA Online isn't even up and running yet. If don't dont own a current gen console, this game alone would justify buying the bundle. NOT A GAME FOR KIDS by any means. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2013
    Simply the best open world game ever made -so far- R* pushed PS3 system to it's edges. Stunning graphics, acting and music. Awesome gameplay experience. And plenty of things to do in an open world. And everything you do is contributing to your playable characters skills. So playing tennis or other sports like cycling will help them be more strong.
    It's a live open world. Close to real
    It's a live open world. Close to real world Might get confusing from controlling point of view at some points but your are going to overcome this.
    It goes beyond the story and side missions. You have a world to explore and gain experience and skills when you do.
    This is the best open world game in this generation and it deserves 10/10
  26. Sep 19, 2013
    A great game with many hours of gameplay. I wont go overboard and give the game a perfect score as most people here seem to be doing, or lowball it with a really low score it doesn't deserve. The game is much improved over GTA IV in a few different areas. Mainly the graphics, driving, and stat additions.

While driving is improved and the vehicles are much better to control instead of sliding around everywhere annoyingly, I am slightly disappointed at the arcade style damage and crashes. I can drive around and slam into other cars/objects all day and my car hardly takes a dent nor is any health drained.

Graphically I have no issues with the game and they are improved quite a bit. I am also not experiencing any framerate issues like others are complaining about. Maybe that has something to do with having an older model playstation or something? Driving, running, shooting, and the cinema scenes are all very smooth for me.

Besides the driving my other major gripe is the story/characters you control. The characters are not likable at all, and the dialogue is just awful. It's basically as someone else summed it with Franklin using the N word in every sentence(gets very old), Michael being a whinny prick, and Trevor a psychopath. They could have toned down the cursing as well as it just makes the characters in the game seem unintelligible in spots, and just plain unintelligent for not using better words.

Overall the game is fun, and you will easily get your money's worth even with those few gripes as the open world and other aspects are all great. The online aspect is not out yet, but it's supposed to be a significant aspect to the game which will help as well.
  27. Sep 17, 2013
    I usually hate paying the price for video games because almost always you never get your moneys worth, GTA5 is worth every cent, its the most massive, fun, incredible gaming experience I have ever experienced. If there was ever such thing as perfection its GTA5!
  28. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is everything you'd expect after all the hype.
    Rockstar has delivered what was promised, and this is the best GTA so far, and possibly one of the best games of this generation.
    I think the mission system has been improved over gta IV's,with a better checkpoint system and more variety. the only thing I didn't like is the button mapping, but if you use the "alternate" layout, it
    The game is everything you'd expect after all the hype.
    the only thing I didn't like is the button mapping, but if you use the "alternate" layout, it gets a lot better. so no loss.
    bottom line is, this game is just as good as we all hoped for, so let's all hope it also gets released on PC and next gen consoles!
    GG
  29. Sep 17, 2013
    One of the best games I've played, graphics and sound are brilliant. Thought I'd be disappointed due to hype but it's a fantastic game, well recommended.
  30. Sep 19, 2013
    GTA V(PS3) is more than 97.5 if you calculate the average score then why is it still being shown as 97? I played a lot of games with a lot of hype built around it, and I'd say this is the first game to truly exceed my extremely high expectations! Everything R* tried to accomplish, they hit a bullseye with. The scope of Los Santos is the largest of any game made, period. The world is fullGTA V(PS3) is more than 97.5 if you calculate the average score then why is it still being shown as 97? I played a lot of games with a lot of hype built around it, and I'd say this is the first game to truly exceed my extremely high expectations! Everything R* tried to accomplish, they hit a bullseye with. The scope of Los Santos is the largest of any game made, period. The world is full of possibilities and things to do, unlike GTA IV, and it is endlessly fun like GTA San Andreas. The characters are the most developed and interesting in this one than all of GTA (Next to Niko Bellic). The story has some of the best set pieces and hilarious interactions, seriously, this is one of the funniest games I've ever played. Playing the game is exhillieratingly fun and Epic, everything feels refined and realistic such as the Car driving which is now completely enjoyable.

The score is brilliant, graphics breathtaking, gameplay over the top ridiculously fun and the amount of hours you spend on the game just flys by. This is not only my favourite in the GTA franchise, but one of my favourite games of all time.

1. Nov 14, 2013
    The best way to bid farewell to the retiring consoles is to spend dozens of hours having fun in Los Santos: robbing, abusing illegal substances, breaking all laws and enjoying everything else that GTA V has to offer. And after we finish the game, we should all say loudly: ‘okay, Rockstar girls and boys, it’s high time to make a truly new GTA, not just a gigantic DLC’. [12/2013, p.36]
    GTA V fulfills the idea of a gaming sandbox, where you can entertain yourself in many different ways - and also experience a superbly written story of three gangsters, if you want. [Issue#234]
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Gigantic and stupidly detailed, GTA V is everything we hoped it would be. Individual components could be a touch better, but when a game does literally everything, nobody can expect perfection across the board. That it even comes close is incredible. [Issue#236, p.62]