7.6

1. Apr 17, 2013
    Fun animation and combo variety satiate at first, but by the end the poor design, shoddy controls bleed through all the charm.

The biggest mistake was mapping the dodge and plane shift buttons to the R2/L2 triggers. Both of these buttons are needed in precision mandatory platforming segments, and both fail to deliver the snappy responsiveness required that made games like super meat boy so great. There is no option to remap the controls. Besides this the animation on boss attacks are highly deceptive, both the timing of how long the hit area lasts and how big the hit area will be. Collision detection is also poor, you will often pass right through enemies with an attack and not effect them at all.

Not a lot of glitches, although after fighting Javier for the 20th time or so and finally beating him, the game stuck itself in the cut scene which forced a restart before saving the progress, took another 15 times to finally finish him off without glitching.

This is the kind of game where 5-6 hours feels too short, but because some of the issue that's really all I could tolerate by the end.
  2. Apr 14, 2013
    Deep combat system that's easy to control and the music really sets the mood and gives the game personality. Small details and visual style adds to the game's charm but you can't help but feel the game really didn't get the full commercial production treatment. Would love a sequel where voice actors are added and textures are bumped up. Not great or spectacular but "good" game overall.
  3. May 2, 2014
    I enjoyed my time with this one. It's a metroidvania lite title with some fun melee combat served on a digital nacho. What's with this 150 character minimum?
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    A suberb Metroidvania style game. Excellent power-ups, leveling up, top level design, actually using your powers, great boss fights, great fighting.... All is excellent. Only drawback is the kinda simple art style which btw isn't my cup of tea. But I cannot ignore the level of livelyhood and vivid colors. All in all it's not a technical marvel and I came by the occasional glitches, but theA suberb Metroidvania style game. Excellent power-ups, leveling up, top level design, actually using your powers, great boss fights, great fighting.... All is excellent. Only drawback is the kinda simple art style which btw isn't my cup of tea. But I cannot ignore the level of livelyhood and vivid colors. All in all it's not a technical marvel and I came by the occasional glitches, but the balance and tempo of this game is just right.

If Guacamelee was ever to be a AAA game it would probabaly make a 9 or 10 because the people behind it seem to know what they are doing. Possibly the greatest of its genre only to be matched (in this gen) by Shadow Complex.

1. Switching between different dimensions does more than changing up the visuals. You can be attacked by enemies from both worlds, meaning you will have to constantly (and sometimes frantically) switch between dimensions to survive. [May 2013, p.94]
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    Without reservation, Guacamelee is easily DrinkBox’s finest game to date. It subscribes to the design that made Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night the classics that they are, but it offers its own unique spin on the genre.
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    Regardless of if you are looking for something to pass the time, something portable or something more hardcore, Guacamelee delivers on all these fronts and more. It's fun, challenging and above all else a joy to play.