7.3

1. Apr 28, 2011
    Dear God in heaven this one is a hard nut to crack. It's almost obscene how hard this game is (at first). And here is the deal: "at first". Once you play Hard Corps: Uprising in its "Rising Mode" you aquire points which can later be spent to turn down the difficulty a little. And you do this in many ways: upgrading weapons, increasing health bars, adding extra lives and so on. There isDear God in heaven this one is a hard nut to crack. It's almost obscene how hard this game is (at first). And here is the deal: "at first". Once you play Hard Corps: Uprising in its "Rising Mode" you aquire points which can later be spent to turn down the difficulty a little. And you do this in many ways: upgrading weapons, increasing health bars, adding extra lives and so on. There is something very addictive about this game that makes you come back for more, to fight it and, most of all, defeat it. It is so rewarding when you beat a boss that seemed impossible to be beaten before... My only complaint is its checkpoint system. It is not fair to die in the last seconds of a stage just to be sent to its middle and do it all over again. For hardcore gamers, yes. But not for hardcore gamers, only. There is tons of fun to be had even for the most casual gamer. It is one of my must-buy downloadable games. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2014

Varied levels.
    Creative bosses.

Need I say more?
  3. Aug 22, 2014
    This, and probably Velocity, were the two games for this generation of console I could not put down, in the category of network released games, and store released too, honestly. People just weren't making the type of games that I wanted to play for this generation, but then this came out, and I played nothing but this game for, like, 2 months straight.

The fact that Konami choose not

The fact that Konami choose not to put the Contra label on this game is a bit perplexing, especially since they've been so hard up to revitalize this franchise; I mean, it plays like a Contra game; it takes place in the Contra continuity and it solves all the criticism people had of 4 and Rebirth, which was that those two entries didn't bring anything new to the franchise. And boy does this bring something new. You can play this game like old school Contra, just run and gun, or you can play it in Rising mode, where you can enable all kinds of cool abilities, like a triple air dash, wall run or the especially cool feature to hit enemy bullets back at them with perfect timing; it adds a lot of variety to gameplay; it almost makes it feel like some kind of Contra/Megaman X hybrid; which is awesome, because those are, like, two of the greatest game series ever made.

My complaints about this game are few: firstly, if you died enough times, and trust me, you will, you get infinite continues on Rising and Arcade mode; even if you're a Contra master and you almost never take a hit, you replay this game enough times you're gonna get those infinite continues eventually, whether you like it or not. Granted, the checkpoints where you respawn if you die are few and far between (usually only 2 per level, and the levels are pretty long), so it's not like this feature completely kills the challenge, but it still feels kind of cheap, it definitely makes this feel like one of the easiest Contras. I mean, all the powers you can get in rising can, certainly, make the game easier, but you can turn those off, you can't turn the infinite continues off, or, at least, I haven't figure out how.

Lastly, and this is a small gripe; all additional charactes are paid DLC, nothing unlocks in-game, like in Rebirth, or the original Contra Hard Corps; it seems like they could have had at least one of the 3 dlc characters unlock in game. But, that being said, you will definitely want to shell out the couple of bucks to download Sayuri. She uses a sword, rather then a gun and it's like a completely different game playing as her.

But all in all this is an amazing game; probably my favorite on the Playstation Network. So much variety of gameplay and replayability. I've probably beaten this game, at least 50 times and I always find a new excuse to play it. Currently I'm trying to play through every level with all action chips enabled getting from start to boss without taking a hit or letting go of the dash-run button.

1. Jul 7, 2011
    The worst part about Uprising is the lack of balancing. The weapons you'll get and the difficulty don't add up, making it extremely difficult to finish the game. For those that like a challenge, Hard Corps: Uprising just might be the thing they're looking for.
  2. May 26, 2011
    Hard Corps: Uprising is bar none one of the best side scrolling shooters of this generation. It's slick, intense, and a lot of fun.
  3. Deeply frustrating lack of checkpoints holds it back from retro greatness. [June 2011, p.103]