• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 23, 2010
7.5

1. Apr 8, 2014
    Heavy Rain is a polarizing experience that is one of the best games of the last 10 years. It may not be for everyone but there is something to be said about the amount of hate and love this game gets, it is truly something special.

The story is gripping to the last second, and at times emotionally draining for the player as well. This is well written stuff that takes turns when you
    least expect it. Graphics and Sound are exceptional and were really able to be fleshed out due to it's unconventional game-play.

Don't let anyone tell you that this is a quicktime fest, while games in the past have offered "interactive cut-scenes" were you essentially must click (X) to not fail, Heavy Rain makes every button press have weight and true consequences to it. In fight scenes you may have to press something that comes on the screen, but the way it is done makes you feel in the moment, analog presses and movements really make you feel like you are controlling limbs rather than simply button mashing. Also if you miss a timed button press there are actions other than "you fail try again", it's more of a game than you might of heard.

It's a bit more than an interactive movie, as you have at will the choice to bring up your characters' thoughts and ideas, motives and fears. You control how things play out in what order, even the script.

Love it or hate it, it must be experienced.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    The most depressing game ever. I cried with Ethan's story, Felt Sorrow in Madison's story, Concerned in Norman's story and finally extremely determined and curious in Scott Shelby's story.
    Little did I know about the 6' 5" detectives role until later on... If you are a parent I recommend that you buy this game to think about your kids and the Origami Killer. It's only like $15 so go and grab it!
  3. Mar 22, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. I cannot really argue against those who dislike this for the lack of gameplay, but the story (especially the killer reveal that I did not see coming) blew me away. The wealth of choices also are just astonishing, as there is something along the lines of twenty endings. A genuinely inventive and brilliant game.
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    I like this game it has a really interesting story and depending on how you play the game and the choices you make you will get different endings so you could play it more than once and still have a different story at the end I like the mystery and how you have to find out where your characters son is and the challenges you have to do to get clues to where and who took your son. I also like how realistic the characters look. Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    Great quality game! So much fun to play. If I could change one thing however, the change of camera angle makes the games controls harder and more complicated. The story is so much better than I expected, most games are easy to guess the outcomes of the story, this one however was hard to guess. Also there are many different ways for the game to end and different stories based on different decisions in the game, this feature makes you want to make the right one. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2014
    Heavy Rain was and will be for long an unique game. Great plot, Very strong performance of the characters, new storylife for every protagonist, magnetizing story. The single thing that's a flaw for me is that the investigations that Jayden does are very boring and make the game a bit weeker. All in all, everything is very nice and you have to spend a lot of time, finding out what the endless ways the game has. Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2014
    I don't normally like this kind of game but it just goes to show that interactive story telling can work when it's done properly. It's a great looking game too.
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    Best game ever made in history. If you do not enjoy this game and think it is boring, it shows you simply do not have the emotional capacity to enjoy such an incredible experience. I was mindblown by this game. Yes, its not call of duty and you dont go around shooting people randomly, but it is the story and the suspense that made me fall in love with this game. There are literally unlimited ways this game can play out depending on the choices you make, and this is one reason why I ended up playing this masterpiece eight times. IF YOU HAVE A PS3, YOU MUSR BUY THIS: BEST PS3 EXCLUSIVE! Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2013
    This is not a game but a movie which gives you some choices and gives you different endings. I recommend not to play it twice, the second times just doesn't feel like the "right" story anymore.
    The acting is just as good as in any well acted movie or tv-series and the motion capture works well. The story is very emotional and I really felt for all the characters and wanted to keep every
    one off them alive. This game will bring a tear to your eye and is more emotional then most dramatic movies because you feel you are actually responsible for all the choices. Only one comment though: the gameplay and controls feel a little "stiff", as is seeing the characters walking.
    One of the best and certainly most memorable games of this generation. Highly recommended to everyone.
  10. Dec 9, 2013
    Best game ever! Greatest gameplay ever!!! Respect Heard so much about this game... never thought it would give me so much satisfaction. Beautiful graphics.. and the gameplay is really unbelievable... I think it's the best game on ps3 ever.... don't understand the negative replies on this game...
  11. Dec 1, 2013
    One of the the most unique and satisfying gaming experiences you can have on the playstation 3. Even my friends were straight on hooked on this game who arent even into video games.
  12. Nov 26, 2013
    Heavy Rain is Beautiful game, unique sensations.
    The music is wonderful, the brilliant script.
    it's fun and engaging

I do not understand the low scores :S
  13. Nov 24, 2013
    To start things off, I really love this game. The storyline is incredible and with all you do in the game, you feel like most things you do actually make an impact on the game. People can live or die based on what you do! So with that mindset, I'd give the game a 10/10. That being said, I felt certain aspects of the game could have been tweaked. I think the voice acting was pretty hit and miss. Same with the character models (I think Madison was the best and Ethan was probably the worst to be fair). Last thing that could be ragged on (but I don't necessarily hate) is that there's not a whole lot of actual gameplay. The game's essentially a game long quick time event. So, if you hate the whole quick time even thing (and using your analog because you'll be using that in ways you never imagined) then this game may not be for you. Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2013
    This game absolutely blew my mind! Never before have I ever felt so invested in a game and its characters. The story is amazing with an incredible twist at the end. This game had me hooked from the very beginning. I beat this game in a day because I just couldn't bring myself to put the controller down and almost felt like crying when the game was over. Not to mention the replay value is sky high with multiple choices and decisions you can make that really affect how the story plays out. But I think what makes this game truly remarkable are the characters. They are so well developed, they feel so much like real people you would pass by on the street, with real lives and histories. But the characters Ethan Mars and Norman Jaden, for me, truly stole the show. I found myself eagerly awaiting for the next time I would get to guide Ethan through his next trial or power up ARI with Jaden. My one and only gripe about this game would be the controls. While they weren't difficult to get used to, I found it pretty annoying having to hold R2 and turn your characters head in the direction you wanted to walk with the left stick. I often found the character not going quite where I wanted them to which could be frustrating, but didn't ruin the gameplay at all. Though if you're not quite familiar with ps3 controls I would definitely suggest playing on one of the lower difficulties as the QTE's can be quite tricky. All in all if you're looking for a completely immersive gameplay experience, get this game! You will NOT regret it. Expand
  15. Nov 21, 2013
    Heavy Rain is basically a 10 hours long breathtaking neo-noir interactive movie. Yes, it might be more of an interactive movie than an actual game with fluid gameplay etc., but that doesn't change the intensity of your experience in the least and you still have pretty important choices and decisions ahead of you. Heavy Rain just focuses on different elements: the story, characters, atmosphere, it's all premium quality here and the emotional reactions this game can evoke within you can be pretty strong, so it's definitely recommended to go through this piece at least once. 9/10 Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    Un gran juego, con mucha innovación, te gustara la primera vez que lo juegues, según las decisiones que tomes, asi irá el juego, una trama digna de las peliculas de Holliwood, con un modo historia que te mete en el juego desde el principio hasta el final, un juego obligado para todos aquellos poosedores de una ps3 y amantes de lo nuevo, emocionante y vibrante, una obra maestra de Quantic Dream ^_^ Expand
  17. Nov 13, 2013
    I give 10 for story and idea and 5 for gameplay and intro but for the repeatiable thing i give again 10 so it is 9/10 game if you have a PS3 and not ever play heavy rain YOU SHOULD!
  18. Nov 10, 2013
    This is the first time I score a game with a 10/10. The story line is perfect, beautiful soundtrack, and a gameplay who helps to empathize with the characters. Surprising ending.
  19. Oct 29, 2013
    Well. What can I say about heavy rain? First of all, it's really gripping, the story was excellent, the graphics are great, the characters are brilliant, the gameplay, however is a little dull at times (but nothing gamebreaking or serious) and the controls can be a little clunky, but don't let that stop you from experiencing this masterpeice!
  20. Oct 15, 2013
    One of the best games of this generation. A truly moving, emotional game. A dark, gritty, and heartbreaking crime drama for the ages. This is, without a doubt, a game that every PS3 owner needs to experience.
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    More like a movie than a game, Heavy Rain is still an impressing experience and its gripping, shocking story is one of the best I've ever experienced in gaming, and its gameplay controls are impressing as well, tackling down all its little problems (technical glitches, mispronouncing of the word "origami", and the slow pace of the game's prologue) and it couldn't get any better. The only thing that compares with Heavy Rain is Remedy's horror game Alan Wake, another game explaining within the darkest side of our sanity and reality. The search of a child kidnapped by the Origami Killer has never been so chilling and thrilling that I've ever succeeded in, and all the acclaim and sales proves it. I want to have a second run of Heavy Rain once again, because on how much its affection, along with games (Uncharted, The Last of Us, and more), impacted me, I wouldn't be wishing to stop getting my hands off the Dualshock.
    How much its affection is? Wanting to know how important life is, and loving it, despite on its changes, and save those who deserve to live, who you deserve to love, and who deserve to love you. That's how the affection is, after slitting Heavy Rain in the PS3, with the Dualshock in hands, and pressing the "play" button when you are ready. (9.5 out of 10)
  22. Oct 5, 2013
    this game is truly different ,and that is what makes it so good it literally feels like a movie except you control what happens .at the end of the day i think everybody needs to play this game
  23. Oct 4, 2013
    um jogo incrível, cuja experiência aumenta gradativamente com a trama. Pra quem quer um game com um ótimo enredo, tensão e principalmente inovação, não vai se arrepender.
  24. Oct 2, 2013
    Absolute brilliant piece of work. The plot was very well written and completely amazed after playing. Good graphics, the gameplay might be a bit boring for people who look for excited controls or gameplay. This is certainly one of the best stories I have ever heard through out my life. Too bad they are making a movie instead of another game though.....
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    I've seen and heard people sh*t all over this game because its a because it is not really a game...its more a movie.A f*cking good one at that,I cant tell you how good this game is how interesting the characters are and how awesome it is to see each ending.I loved the fact that one choice could change the whole game like my first play through I was not quick enough and a character died, instead of giving me a restart screen that was it.That character was gone for the rest of the game and that is pretty awesome,the game really cheap now if your a ps3 owner GET IT!. Expand
  26. Sep 16, 2013
    Un asesino serial, un agente de policía y un padre desesperado son los ingredientes que dan pie a la trama de Heavy Rain, un juego exclusivo para PS3 desarrollado por el equipo de Sony Computer Entertainment Europe con la colaboración de Quantic Dream.

Una vida perfecta……
    Despiertas en tu recamara, el sol entra por la ventana, te asomas al jardín, tomas una ducha y recuerdas que es el
    cumpleaños de tu hijo Jason, el mayor, tu esposa lo llevo de compras junto con su hermano Shaun, para cuando regresan a casa ya es hora de la comida pero te das tiempo de salir y jugar un rato con los chicos.

Así es como comienza todo en Heavy Rain, un juego con un estilo muy diferente a los demás, que bien se le podría llamar película interactiva antes de considerarlo un videojuego pero eso sería muy poco para describir todo lo que en realidad es; una experiencia inolvidable.

Tratando de evitar los spoilers les puedo contar que la historia gira entorno a un asesino serial que azota la ciudad, todo esto visto a través de 4 personajes diferentes que en algún momento cruzaran sus caminos para darnos los diferentes ángulos de esta trama y así poder llegar a resolver el caso del “Asesino del Origami”.

¿Porque no corre?

Lo primero que notaras al tomar el control de alguno de los personajes, es que no puedes correr, ni saltar, ni golpear, tan solo se limita a caminar, observar e interactuar con algunos objetos, pero aquí es donde está el detalle primordial de Heavy Rain, en todo momento estarás decidiendo si hacer o no diversas actividades, las cuales pueden tener consecuencias en los sucesos posteriores tratando de darte esa sensación que se tiene en la vida real al momento de tomar decisiones, estas van desde que tu personaje se bañe o se ponga a trabajar o ambas o ninguna y la historia continuara sin mayor problema hasta llegar a algunas más complejas donde estará en juego la vida de los personajes.

En algunos momentos del juego tenemos la libertad de explorar diferentes áreas, en estas tendremos la posibilidad de escuchar los pensamientos de nuestros personajes con solo presionar un botón, para así entenderlo mejor y saber cuáles son sus reacciones ante las diferentes situaciones que se le presentan.

Necesitaras buenos reflejos

Existen varias secuencias de acción en donde tendremos que ir presionando los botones que aparecen en pantalla o realizar ciertos movimientos con los Sticks para que nuestro personaje en turno realice diferentes movimientos, en algunos incluso se utiliza el olvidado sixaxis y hace ya algún tiempo se agrego la compatibilidad con el PSmove para tratar de dar una mejor experiencia al momento de estarlo jugando.

Se puede llegar a pensar que es un juego lento pero debemos de considerar que es el ritmo en el que estuvo pensado para que podamos asimilar todo lo que está pasando en esta historia tan compleja y así lograr obtener esa sensación de drama deseada por sus creadores.

Realidad o Realidad Virtual

Algo sobresaliente es el aspecto grafico, que si bien no es sorpresa al ser desarrollado por un estudio especialista en captura de movimiento, lo que lograron hacer con los rostros de los personajes dentro del juego fue lo que los llevo a ser considerados de los mejores en el mundo para la captura facial y de sentimientos en modelos virtuales.

Durante las pantallas de carga entre las diferentes escenas nos muestran los rostros del personaje a controlar en un primer plano y es aquí donde podemos apreciar la cantidad de detalle con la que fueron hechos.

¿Por qué jugarlo?

Como lo dije al principio, mas allá de un juego es una experiencia de vida, solo necesitas dejarte llevar por la historia de este fantástico thriller psicológico la cual te mantendrá enganchado y no te dejara soltar el control, el juego está hecho para que lo disfrutes como si fuera una película solo con el pequeño detalle que dura de entre 8 a 10 horas según tus acciones, por lo tanto creo que si lo terminas en unos 4 o 5 días tendrás toda la información aun fresca en tu memoria.

¿Por qué NO jugarlo?

Para empezar, ¿se juega?, hay varios momentos en los que seremos simples espectadores de una película en HD, además de varias partes medias flojas en donde la historia va avanzando a cuenta gotas y en mi caso que lo jugué en español, de castilla, varias animaciones no van en ritmo con el sonido.

Este es MI final

La verdad me hice un fan del juego desde que lo terminé, pero no me animo a reiniciarlo para no perder esa historia que me toco y quedarme con esa versión como mi Heavy Rain, platicando con otras personas que lo han jugado nos dimos cuenta que todos teníamos un final diferente y creo que eso es lo que lo hace especial, el sentir que cada quien tiene su desenlace personal.

Les recomiendo ampliamente que lo jueguen y no importa si solo lo rentan un fin de semana, lo que importa es no perderse la oportunidad de disfrutarlo.
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    I watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this game since I don't own a PS3. Damn, this is seriously one of the better character/story driven games out there. It's a bit slow in the beginning and if you want a comparison, I'd say The Walking Dead (for the PC) compare to this quite well. While I did like The Walking Dead more than Heavy Rain, this game still is really an amazing game. It must've taken a lot of time to make since there are so many possible outcomes for every scene. (There are like 17 endings! That's right, 17!!) Expand
  28. Sep 3, 2013
    The only con I could find with a magnifying glass would be some visual glitches, and that happened maybe three times the entire game, the game is that perfect. At first I wasn't sure what to think of it since it was moving along so slowly, but man it blew my mind. The characters are so finely tuned and well executed and voice acted. The story is terrifying and intense. The visuals are fantastic there's really nothing negative to say about this game, it's still just as revolutionary over 3 years after its release, PLAY THIS GAME. Expand
  29. Aug 30, 2013
    Wow, what should I say? First, this game is unique. It´s like playing a thriller movie where your choices really change the ending. Second, amazing graphics (all in my home where surprised with how real it looked), great story and not so predictable as a few users said. And third, I really enjoy this kind of games, but I get that It´s not for everybody. Sometimes the pacing is slow and the atmosphere depressing, but took me a few days to complete it and was worth all the time. Rare, interesting and one of a kind. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    This is similar the Virtue's Last Reward in how it technically isn't a game. I understand people not liking cutscenes, but please, this is a mature game, not an all out action Capitalist 'GO AMERICA' FPS. The story is very well written, and the multiple choices/ ending are fun to earn. There are 4 main character, and all are fairly interesting (Madison was maybe kind of generic). The graphic are great, but sometimes the animation can be a bit off (Awkward love scene anyone?).
    The gameplay is a bit of walking around, but mostly QTEs, which some people will not like.
    This game is one of the best games on Playstation, and if you're into a good story, it's a must buy.
  31. Aug 5, 2013
    A masterpiece. Storytelling in a way that is rarely seen and experienced. Great presentation and gameplay that really sucks you into the game. But the true star here is the story extremely well done. They should really make a movie out this game.
  32. Jul 25, 2013
    My friend told me that a FPS or a TPS game is going to come out. let me guess the summary of a game. Get to cover, move out and kill the bad guys again, again and again. Yes, this game is more like a interactive movie than a video game. But the story and the graphics are awesome. If you want a real and a different experience you should check this game out.
  33. Jul 23, 2013
    One of the best games of ps3 and the gameplay is unique and not just QTE and the story keeps getting better and the camera view is rare in game now and the fact that the storyline changes with every thing you do is fantastic
  34. Jul 22, 2013
    Heavy Rain is in short, a dramatic mystery investigation movie. However, in this movie you get to interact with the objects and people around you. You play as four very different characters an FBI agent on the case of the origami killer, a Privet investigator who has been on the case for years now, a depressed father who has enough on his plate already, and a journalist. At first you have no idea how they are connected, if at all. As you delve deeper into the plot you uncover clues and leads and you get to make your own opinions. With these opinions you can make actions, and every action no matter how small plays a part on the outcome. Speaking of outcomes there are over 20 different endings to the game. The story is perplexing and riveting giving this game a 10/10! Wait a minute... Didn't I score this a 9/10? The reason behind this is simply because of how clunky the controls are I went through the entire game many many hours of game play. Still after all those hours there are points in the game where I can not walk in the direction I please. The camera angles switching 180 degrees only ads to my confusion. Although, all in all this is a must have game for the play station owner and I feel as though it is one of the best games of this generation. You know a game really strikes you when your emotions start to influence the decisions you make in the game. I caught myself yelling at my screen full of nothing but prescript-ed animations. I was not yelling at another player on Battlefield 3 for killing me with the modded M26 Dart I was yelling because the story had sucked me into the game. That is when you know it is good. Expand
  35. Jul 1, 2013
    Great game, amazing storytelling, intriguing, interesting, captivating. A different subgenre of video games... more like interactive movies? It needs to be experienced to be understood.
  36. Jun 30, 2013
    I loved this game!...If you're looking for a game with originality than this game is for you. I love the QTE it makes you think fast and make tough decisions. If you want a game that is story oriented and gives you an emotional high this is that game. I had so much fun playing this game and it had a lot of memorable moments. Most people who don't like these kind of games are usuallly hardcore FPS fans who don't have the patience to play through a depth story driven game. Anyone that doesn't at least appreciate this game doesn't have much taste for a new and different genre. Heavy Rain is a fantastic game that everyone should give a chance. You would be missing out if you did. Expand
  37. Jun 9, 2013
    Like film noir of the Chinatown kind? Twists akin to Se7en? Heavy Rain is likely to be the best cinematic experience ever with a memorable storyline of the highest caliber, fascinating characters who're understandable as real, functional humans and interactive gameplay with choices of a perfect variety. Heavy Rain perfects these elements to establish a seriously animated investigation into a serial killing and the characters involved with it. Expand
  38. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rented this game thinking it was going to be terrible, but the story is so damn good, the fight/ interaction scenes were tense and fun. I also had a rare funny ending, at the end when they are fighting on top of the warehouse, whenever I pressed x I could hear the father yelling shaun from inside, it made the game even sweeter. Expand
  39. May 22, 2013
    I'm one of the few people who don't mind quick time events. Yeah, if you hate them, avoid this game. However, if you're looking for a very engaging storyline with multiple endings, Heavy Rain has it. It was essentially like playing an awesome Rated R crime/thriller movie.
  40. May 3, 2013
    This game is incredible. The story is amazing with incredible character with a lot of personality. The environment in this game is just awesome, the graphics are very good just like the art design. The voice acting is pretty good. The game play is innovate and yes is all "quick time events" but what's the problem? it's a type of gaming so I don't see the big deal on it, it's actually pretty good and fun. Also I love how all your actions, may change the story, it makes you think twice in your decision's and actually makes you want to know, what it will be the ending. Expand
  41. Apr 25, 2013
    Not just 'Quick Time Event The Game'. I have not seen another game that matches the variety of story choices. This is one of the few games which allows the player to mold there own unique gaming experience.
  42. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most awesome game I've played after god of war.
    I couldn't believe that one of the charectors would be the killer.
    It's really amazing and I'm going to keep playing until I see all endings.
  43. Mar 31, 2013
    There are some technical issues (screen tearing and minor bugs), but the game is a masterpiece...It was like watching a very good movie that lasted for many hours.
  44. Mar 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Holy This game is one of the most climatic and emotionally-driven stories of the videogame medium. The attention to detail, the character's reactions, the situations are all astoundly well-put together. By utilising quick-time events to its advantage it makes the game severely intensified. You actually connect and care for these characters, you want them to succeed. This game makes the player pay attention to the game world, it makes you invested into the game, with one wrong or right move continuing the story in a certain direction. Replayability is a major factor aswell, just to see the contrast between endings or what certain choices amount to. Or though I'd recommend putting it on the hardest difficulty, otherwise it's just too easy. Yes, there is a few inconsistencies within the plot; like that stupid sex scene which was just out-of place and unnecessary to the story. I felt they should have elaborated more on that drug killer Ethan killed and what the police did about it. Overall, it's a good game. Thoroughly recommended! Expand
  45. Mar 21, 2013
    There are few games that can be as thrilling and emotional as Heavy Rain. Going into this game, I had low expectations, mainly because I hadn't heard much about it, good or bad, so I thought it really wouldn't be worth my time. Boy, was I wrong! After finishing the game, my emotions were coming out of me in bizarre ways. Never had a game touched me like Heavy Rain had. The storyline is one of the best I have ever seen. The voice acting was top-notch and made the characters that much more realistic and lovable. The graphics aren't the best, but that shouldn't stop you from playing. And once you get past the somewhat difficult and unusual controls, there's no stopping you from playing this game from start to finish. Expand
  46. Mar 18, 2013
    Sure the movements of the characters are irritating at times and the voice acting is not the best in the world, but all that is forgotten when you play the game and come to realise what a truely awesome experience it is. Since when has dying or coming short in a game make you more anxious to play further and see how the rest of the story unfolds?! Not often, and that is how I felt when I played Heavy Rain! Love the game! Can play it over and over again... Expand
  47. Mar 17, 2013
    My gut wants to give this game a 10, but it is definitely not perfect. The voice acting is weird at times, the controls are frustrating at other times, and there are some weird things in the plot. That said, no game has ever made me so invested in the characters and the story. I couldn't put it down. I played through the whole game in 8 or 9 hours in one sitting (it was the weekend so I could do that). This is possibly another bad thing about the game it's rather short. It has multiple endings, but you may not want to play another 8-9 hours to see them. I've watched several Let's Play sessions of this game. I love it though, and you can usually find it for like $20 these days. Nobody with a PS3 should miss out on this one in my opinion. Expand
  48. Mar 11, 2013
    This reminded me of Silent Hill in the way that you get so sucked into the story that none of the flaws seem to matter. This game is so beautiful and atmospheric, and VERY dark cause you get to see all of the main characters at their worst. All of the button-pressing sequences are rather exhilarating since your life is always at risk. My favorite thing about this game is that if one character dies, the story just keeps on going. I've never played any game like this, and for that it is a true classic. Expand
  49. Feb 21, 2013
    My favorite and most beloved PS3 game, I will never forget how it make me fell when I played, back to back, 6 times.
    It is a powerful and unforgettable experience that stays with you months after playing, this game is the LOUIS C.K. of video games: sincere, original and creative.
    If you like intelligent and mysterious games, PLAY IT.
  50. Feb 19, 2013
    "Heavy Rain" is either going to be a game that you are going to love or hate. In this review, I am going to tell you why I loved this game.

Here's the basic run-down of the plot (which is very important, as the game is very story-driven):

We start the game off with Ethan Mars, a normal everyman who is happily married with two children. However, his life takes a tragic turn after one
    of his sons, Jason, is killed by an oncoming car. Ethan, who was also hit by the car while trying to save Jason's life, falls into a coma and, upon awaking, his life is in shambles. He now suffers from numerous psychological problems (schizophrenia, agoraphobia and blackouts) and is also estranged from his wife and has fallen out of favor with his other son, Shaun. Soon, things get worse, as Shaun is kidnapped by the infamous Origami Killer, who drowns his victims in rainwater and dumps the bodies (who are left with an origami figure) out in open wastelands for the world to see.

We are soon introduced to 3 other playable characters, who all have certain problems they are facing and who all have their own motives for tracking down the Origami Killer:

Scott Shelby is a former cop turned private eye, who suffers from chronic asthma.
    Norman Jayden is an FBI profiler who has an experimental pair of glasses (ARI) that allow him to investigate crime scenes and efficiently analyze evidence. He suffers from a dangerous drug addiction that is believed to be used to combat effect from using ARI.
    Madison Paige is a journalist who is conducting an investigation into the Origami Killer case. She struggles with insomnia and nightmares (which she attempts to remedy by sleeping in motels).

Per his modus operandi, the Origami Killer sends the father of his recent kidnapping victim (which, here, is Ethan) a box with 5 origami figures, a cell phone and a gun. The cell phone features a hangman puzzle which, when completed, reveals the address of where Ethan's son is located. The 5 origami figures give Ethan the location of certain trials which he must complete in order to get letters to the hangman puzzle. The trials are very rigorous tests of faith that get harder and harder as they go.

While this happens, the other 3 main characters conduct their own investigations into the Origami Killer case. All manage to meet a bunch of seemingly normal, yet psychotic people who will do their best to impede the characters' progress.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but the game is very story-based, so it definitely needs to be known. It's a very interesting story that will draw you in more and more as it goes on.

Anyway, the gameplay is about 45% quick-time events, 45% decision-making and 10% investigating. The investigating is a little bit of a chore, but it's VERY important for Jayden's actions, especially when he is trying to figure out who the killer is.

Where the game is made is in the decision-making and quick-time event aspects. Every little thing you do can change the way the game plays out. If you fail enough quick-time events, you could end up having a character killed off (one that could end up breaking the case). If you don't make the right decisions, it could have dire consequences. One prominent way to make a wrong decision is to not complete one of Ethan's trials. If you decide to not attempt the trial, you may end up not finding out the address of the killer. And believe me, it is VERY easy to get tempted not to do some of the trials. On my first playthrough, I got to the 4th trial and realized I just couldn't bring myself to complete the trial after a revelation was made (I don't want to spoil it). This game just really had me thinking what I would do in the situation given, and I just couldn't go through with it. I saw myself in Ethan and wanted him to do the "right" thing, but it ended up in him not completing the trial and, therefore, not getting the letters to the puzzle. The 5th one was much in the same.

This game has an uncanny ability to make many people, especially me, think about what they would do in a given situation. It tries to make you think on your feet and make your own decisions to shape how the story goes based on the decisions and reactions you make. It's an interactive movie, as the makers of the game explained it. You start to feel a connection to the characters, because they are ordinary people with everyday problems placed in extraordinary circumstances. The epilogues especially hit you hard because YOU had a direct influence on how the story ended up. When someone does something good, you rejoice because it was your decision-making that influenced it. When someone dies, you feel guilty because it was of your inability to help the person.

All in all, this game just drew me in and didn't let go. There is a ton of re-playability, as well, as there are 22 different individual endings. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in an empathetic and captivating experience.
  51. Feb 8, 2013
    EXACTLY the type of game I'm searching for. 10/10. Nohing to say. I like interactive movies. Makes me think of my other favorite game of all time: Phantasmagoria by Roberta Williams for Sierra in 1995.
  52. Feb 8, 2013
    If you take the game for what it is, an "Interactive Movie" then you will find this to be an awesome experience. The experience is unprecedented because you have an overall plot and continuously moving story like a movie, but a more detailed story and ability to influence events and endings Allowing you to play increases tension and the overall mood and atmosphere. The writing, characters, and the themes, etc. are all memorable. Definitely worth a try for PS3 fans. It definitely seems a love it or hate it type of game. Expand
  53. Feb 2, 2013
    This is one of the games together with the metal gear series with the highest replayability, I finished heavy rain dozens of times just to see how different choices change the story and how losing certain characters will affect it.
    I can't tell how much I loved this game, absolutely brilliant in every way.
    Even tough people say quick time events are bad in most games, it isn't in heavy
    rain, everything works very well and it feels very intense with the action going on.
    This game is for anyone who loves a good story for a change of all the mindless action games.

If you loved this game, you certainly want to keep an eye out for beyond two souls.
    The next game of quantic dream.
  54. Jan 22, 2013
    This game is absolutely mind blowing!!! Never played a game that let you control the ending result. I must say that this game is the best that I have ever played! This game pulls you into the drama, you consistently will think about it towards the middle. Feels like you are in a movie no joke. I highly recommend this game to gamers. VERY GOOD GAME!!
  55. Dec 28, 2012
    This is always the game I cite when people say consequence and branching storylines aren't possible to the extent people demand it. Perhaps it is because Heavy Rain set the bar so high in that area that makes it so influential and amazing. The game is also addicting and thrilling, and the organic, no game over design makes everything more intense. The aesthetics, especially the score, help to make a depressing mood that makes it a wonderful experience. The illusion of choice, it turns out, isn't an illusion in this game. Expand
  56. Dec 11, 2012
    Wow! I talk a lot about how some games are experiences and not games at all, heavy rain is probably the reason I think like that now. I loved this game, loved everything about it. The graphics, the story, the characters, the different paths, the music is some of the best in gaming. This is one of my all time favorite games every. Now this may not be for everyone granted, because this is more of an interactive movie of sorts, and you just follow along but you still get to choose how you want it to play out. I loved the tense parts and actually I was a bit dissapointed when I played backed some earlier sections and found out that had I failed the correct button presses, I would have lived anyway, but at the time I didn't realize that and so I felt tense and knew (or at least thought) that my character could die and I needed to be careful. I love perma-death in games. It is what made demon souls so great the consequences of dying, and is why im looking so forward to until dawn. In fact had death had more of a consequence in amnesia it probably would have been even better, but I knew it would just load right back up so I never really felt that tense. Expand
  57. Nov 19, 2012
    What a blast! Incredibly innovative usage of the six-axis controller, invigorating story line, simply amazing character feel and backstory and thriller factor. THIS IS WHAT GAMES THESE DAYS SHOULD BE LIKE! New, fun to play, and addictive. I wish it was a longer game or at least had a few strong side plots that could have extended its life.
  58. Nov 5, 2012
    Its a different game, i don´t think everybory will like, but i liked =D. The history(es) is(are) intriguing, excelent graphics, with many knurled, but ok.
  59. Nov 2, 2012
    A game with beautiful graphics, half the time you feel like it's a movie witch makes in memorable from all other games out there. It has such emotion, Ethan Mars is my favorite character because you really feel his pain especially if you get a sad ending. The voice acting is GOOD and the soundtrack is OUTSTANDING.
  60. Oct 28, 2012
    If there was a reason to buy a PS3, here it is. I loved Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) but it was a shame Heavy Rain didn't make it cross-platform. I'm going to keep this short, as lengthy critique will just involve my gushing about the game ... (one word - wow). Heavy Rain is everything a modern game should be, compelling, cinematic and complex, it makes other games (and many films) seem mundane by comparison. Very close to being a masterpiece. Expand
  61. Oct 17, 2012
    Apsolutely amazing game. everything about this game is amazing, Can be a bit boring at times but once ya get into it you will not sleep! very addictive storyline
  62. Sep 17, 2012
    So much fun. I don't consider this a game. I consider this a movie just because the scenes can be so good at times. A must own if you own a Playstation 3 console. Can't wait for Quantic Dream next game.
  63. Sep 11, 2012
    This game is just something different something i would want to see again and again in this industry.
    obviously you can`t find a rock solid game play here you just need to know what are you playing and rate it like that.
  64. Jul 28, 2012
    Heavy Rain is the best game on PS3. Was that not enough to compel you to buy it? Well let's scrape the false claims out of the way first. Heavy Rain is NOT a quick time event driven game. It may feel like it as you fiddle with the thumbsticks and follow direction cues. But Heavy Rain makes so much sense out of them in context. For example when you fuss around trying to undo your seatbelt, the feedback feels dynamic. Now to the game itself. Quantic Dream has given us a masterpiece of storytelling and design. There are 18 diiferent ending scenarios. Above all else though is the story that drives them. The game asks you how far will you go to save someone you love and all the way through the protagonists are torn by the past and want to save the future. Ethan Mars clearly defines this. He loses his older son Jason by a vehicular rundown and throughout the game he struggles to live with himself, especially when Shaun goes missing. Heavy Rain pulls you in with plenty of action sequences and spins a yarn which is truly phenominal. If you don't feel anything by the end of the game (no matter how many run throughs you do) something is definately wrong with you. Expand
  65. Jul 20, 2012
    A great game. First the bad: there were a few glitches and the sound bytes were a bit sparse in some sections. The good: great graphics, compelling story with a messed up killer and outrageous tests for the father, and ways to get more than one ending! A couple of bits that I found with faults like why the troubled nightmares and insomnia? The game has a story and plays out like a movie enough that your friend would enjoy playing with you. Expand
  66. Jun 24, 2012
    WARNING:THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ACTION JUNKIES WHO NEEDS CONSTANT ACTION TO STAY INTERESTED!! Now for people looking for something different while playing a game may I suggest to you...heavy rain! Heavy rain lets you play as four protagonist one of which is trying desperately to find his son after previously losing his oldest son in a car accident! Two years later he's half the man he used to be..his marriage is over he's constantly having nightmare's and is seeing a shrink and his bond with his son is all but broken! By this point in the game I knew I would finish it multiple times because the story is what makes it worth playing! I was sucked in by the attention paid to the story as well as the graphics which is down right beautiful to behold!this game also gives you complete control over the story by letting you decide who lives and who dies which gives you so many reason's to replay it after you finish one of the games multiple stories! One reviewer said he tried to kill a character but it was just a dream so it sucked because it was a dream....? Well you cant kill her there because...well its a dream but trust me she gets the worst deaths in the game lol. Everything isn't good in heavy rain like the controls which takes time to get used to. Many times I took a wrong turn or found myself kissing a wall but its not to distracking also parts of the story will not be explained like ethans nightmare's of drowning kids or what was he doing/where was he during his blackouts but again its not to distracting from the rest of the narrative! This is a must play for gamers but even more so for developers because they've clearly ran out of idea's when it comes to good gameplay and story telling vs weak story and run and gun rehash! Get this game its a true diamond in a sea full on shooters! Expand
  67. Jun 16, 2012
    A ten may seem high to a lot of people, and even though this game does have some problems ( in my opinion the controls were sometimes difficult), when I completed it, I was in awe of what I had seen and done while playing. The haunting musical score is incredible as you make your way through the game. The graphics are simply amazing. And finally the story is one of the best written I have ever seen in a video game. So even with somewhat awkward controls at times, I found myself thoroughly engaged by this game. Expand
  68. Jun 1, 2012
    Probably one of the best told stories in a video game ever. I was enthralled from beginning to end, hook, line and sinker. The characters are very interesting and lifelike and the voice acting is good even if it stumbles a bit and the story is a roller coaster of emotions. To convey this amazing story, it has a brilliant interaction and quick time event mechanics that makes you think fast and make the experience more authentic. I could've easily given this a 10 if not for the god awful movement controls and awkward camera and while you do get used to it, it can mess up what you're doing from time to time but overall doesn't ruin the brilliant story for you. This is a game that anyone should experience and even if they didn't it, they have some appreciation for what is done here. One of the best games on the Playstation 3 and anyone who owns the console should get this. Expand
  69. May 28, 2012
    I loved this game. First time for a very long time that every decision I made felt like it had meaning and any mistake was lifethreatening. It's such a good example at how instent death can effectivly be interwoven into a game and one of the most emotional endings to a game I have ever faced with me litterally breaking down in tears from the ending.
  70. May 8, 2012
    I didn't know much about the game except that the artwork on the cover alone seemed interesting to me. Many games have promised an "interactive" experience in which your decisions change the course of action before, so could Heavy Rain pull it off? The answer is a Stone Cold-ish "oh hell yeah." There is a very limited number of games that made me care about the storyline and the characters that much. The way the story builds up to its climax is excellent, graphics beyond believe on a home console. This game gives you pure freedom of choice, infinite exploration and a story that will stay in your mind long after playing this. The game is build on chapters, in each chapter you take control of one of four main characters, and everything you do can change the outcome of the game. These characters are different from each other and interesting, each one involved in the game's plot from a different direction. You will feel like you are actually taking part in the action, be it preparing scrambled eggs or fighting for your life. A true masterpiece without comparison. Expand
  71. Apr 14, 2012
    My favorite game for PS3. I have gotten platinum on it 3x just for the fun. I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream does next. "Your review must be at least 150 characters long."
  72. Apr 4, 2012
    The best game i have ever played hands down. The game has little actual gameplay is largely produced in QTE's but game play is not what the game is here for. It bridges the gap between films and games. The story of a twisted murderer who has good intentions, to find a father worthy of having a child. You play as 4 characters all tracking down said killer and bring back safety.
  73. Mar 24, 2012
    THis game not only combines amazing acting, sound, story, graphics, gameplay, story, sound, story, interesting characters, story (did I mention story) into one amazing masterpiece...but its extremely cheap too! You can find this used or in the Ps3 greatest hits section for $20! The plot may start out slow but when it revs up...it is so intense, emotional and beautiful that small details such as tiny graphics problems...one plot hole (the blackouts are caused by ethan's coma)...and the hands not always being natural are forgivable. Not only is this a masterpiece but it is one of my top 5 games. Expand
  74. Mar 18, 2012
    I didn't know whether to give this a 9 or a 10, I felt that it should have been a 9 at first because there are many problems in Heavy Rain that are hard to overlook, such as the plot holes and technical problems but when I go back and play this game I can put those problems aside and enjoy this incredibly emotional and engaging game. I can't think of any other game that gets you so invested in its story and makes you care about every decision you make like this. It's not for everyone and improvements could be made but this is one of those cases where the good manages to out weigh the bad and as a result we can enjoy this fantastic, beautiful and immensely emotional game, and another game like this won't come for a long time. Collapse
  75. Mar 17, 2012
    Take the best Steinbeck novel you've ever read, takes the themes of judgement, human nature, what we need vs. what we want, and remove these themes from the novel. Take these themes and put them into a video game. Write the video game around these themes, all the while adding the best graphics I've seen period, as well as some very intricate characters, title this video game "Heavy Rain", and then release it to a widespread audience.

That explains the perfect 10.
  76. Mar 13, 2012
    I respect other people's views and tastes, but I cannot understand why you would give such a groundbreaking game a bad score. It has everything that a good PS3 game should: a great story, good controls, exciting moments and a captivating story line. The emotions that you feel when you realise your kid is missing and the length you will go to to find him back... a true monument and a game that will be remembered for changing the face of video games. Expand
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    Heavy Rain is an amazing experience to say the least. Its impossible to not become attached to the characters. although not a classic "video game", Heavy Rain puts you in a fathers desperate shoes looking for his son. You feel every characters pain and instantly become attached. This game is at least worth a rent, but you really should buy it.
  78. Mar 5, 2012
    This game alone is a reason to go out and buy a PS3, no other console has a game like Heavy Rain.
  79. Feb 27, 2012
    I personally think heavy rain is a masterpiece. Not as a game - but rather an experience. I was absolutely riveted by every single moment - I completed the entire thing in two sittings - and my heart sank when I knew it was over. And while there is some occasional voice acting quirks, overall it's a thriller that I would embrace as a fantastic film, and I am film lover who just spent the past few years in film school. My main issue with the game is that it was not quite far reaching enough as I would have liked in some late-game-story elements. Expand
  80. Feb 17, 2012
    Surely an amazing game! Great storyline, very immersive and well produced. Since I knew Indigo Prophecy for PS2, from the same developer, the similar QTE system was quite expected. I see some people here complaining about the gameplay because it's what it is. These people should play "Dragon's Lair" or "Space Ace" and think again, lol. But really, this game impressed me a lot, even a year later it was released. Had to play it for a few days until I could watch all endings and get all trophies. Shame it wasn't raining those days. Expand
  81. Feb 8, 2012
    In an industry full of shooters and adventures and just the same formulas over and over this was a breath of minty fresh air. Only games that are truly great have me glued to the tv and I couldn't take my eyes off this one. I even replayed it a few times. Truly inventive game.
  82. Jan 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game does not deserve the low user score currently on Metacritic so I will give it a 10. I personally rate it a 9, points for being unique and different, as well as engaging and immersive animations. I am personally a fan of experimental ways of telling a story in the video game medium, playing Quantic Dreams Indigo Prophecy, HL2 Mods - Dear Esther and Stanley's Parable. Heavy Rain is the evolution of what indigo prophecy was supposed to be and the evolution of the point and click adventure genre. (At least this is what I think Heavy Rain's roots are from -- Point and Click adventure games) . This is the push point and clicks need to turn into, interactive dramas with the occasional puzzle. Telltale tried to follow suit with their Jurassic Park that was released this November, and I find it fun with all of the QTE's. Anyways, if you are into cinematics and gorgeous cutscenes in your video games, as well as don't mind taking an observer seat in games such as L.A Noire, metal gear solid, and those huge open world rpg games games, then this game is for you. The story isn't even close to film quality yet, but this is the start of a revolution for storytelling in gaming. Expand
  83. Jan 3, 2012
    This game is downright incredible. The bad reviews you see are...ridiculous. Any of the reviews that give this a 90 or lower I just cant respect. this game is a masterpiece
  84. Nov 27, 2011
    I've played this all the way through twice now, and I'm still haunted by decisions I've made in it. On the second playthrough, something happened that I'm not going into detail about that literally scared me, and I don't get scared by much. This game is absolutely remarkable, and I plan on playing through it several more times to see the different endings. If you haven't played this game yet, then you need to, it is well worth your time. Expand
  85. Nov 24, 2011
    The most amazing gaming experience I have had in the last 5, maybe even 10 years. (Owned every console and I play all the blockbuster hits).This really pushes gaming in a whole new direction. For the most part it's a moral dilemma that involves mystery and some puzzle aspects. Its very cinematic in its styling the story is fantastic! The plot gets better and better as you go along. It became very addicting for both my brother and I.You become completely absorbed in the story of these characters and you really feel for them. You feel as if you ARE the characters themselves. Many games stake the claim that the story developments hinge upon the choices you make in the game. For many games it doesn't completely flesh out that way. For this game it's absolutely true! Decisions you make drastically change to direction of the story. There are substantial rewards and consequences for you decisions, different cinematics, play sequences and endings. Much of the game pushes you to make difficult decisions that make you really dig deep into your own value system and deeply held convictions. It is NOT an action game, though it does have action elements. Many people get frustrated because they seem to be expecting something different, and they are disappointed that its not like other games on the market. This is not Call of Duty or Batman. Take it for exactly what it is and you will be happy. At least four of my friends have played HR and everyone loved it. We all played through more than once. Graphics are top notch (especially given that it is slightly dated). In no way should it be rated anything close to a 6.8! I give it a solid 10; a rating I give VERY sparingly. This game is revolutionary and impactful to the future of gaming. At the discount you can get it for these days it SHOULD NOT BE MISSED. Expand
  86. Nov 19, 2011
    An unusual and innovative title which I enjoyed immensely.A dark interactive story game is the best way I can describe it and I look foward to more games such as this one.
  87. Nov 15, 2011
    Literally my favorite game of all time. Plays like an intense interactive movie. Definitely challenging, but not frustratingly so. Story is incredible. Some of the graphics are weak and a few awful voice actors, but it's most beautiful and the voices that matter are fantastic.
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    Absolutely stunning. A masterpiece. Beautiful music and story. At last a mature game that offers something different than the usual gameing experiences. This is the kind of game that makes me want to spend my money and my time on. Can´t wait for the next Quantic Dreams game.
  89. Nov 12, 2011
    I think giving games perfect 10's is generally pretty gimpy, but Heavy Rain is just the bee's knees. It deserves to be playing in theatres, not just on your LED HDTV's... though if it were made into a movie it probably wouldn't be as good as Heavy Rain the video game. Whatever, I'm getting distracted by my own illiteracy - the point is, oh my god, Heavy Rain... it's super-duper. Granted, I should probably ding it by one point for the questionable "American" accents, but if that's the only thing I can find wrong about a game, that's pretty damn good. The story is awesome, and is even still fun to play if you know "whodunnit" though it's best revealed in-game. Ethan is pretty much the sexsiest guy in a video game, and Madison isn't too bad either (you get to see both of their butts! Yay!) so there's even something for late-night enjoyment. If you own a PS3 and haven't yet given yourself a day or two to experience Heavy Rain, well, that's just very sad. It's AWESOME. Expand
  90. Nov 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game. It was like playing a movie, that was how real it felt. I was so attached to my players that I got really upset when I thought Ethan died in the power plant level. What was cool was that you never had to go back and repeat what you did. The music was nice, the controls intuitive, and the graphics splendid. I'm really happy I bought this game. My only possible complaint would be that the beginning is slow, but I didn't find that annoying at all. All I can say is get this game! Expand
  91. Oct 30, 2011
    Pure brilliance is what describes this game. Enjoyed almost every second of it. An Immersive and gripping, albeit a really depressing storyline. Every animation scene seems so realistic. It really captures my attention and makes me aware of every little details. A short and sweet adventure.
  92. Oct 28, 2011
    Best game I've ever played in my 28 years of gaming. Amazing, emotional, heart pounding, engaging. I think people who rated this low don't understand that everything you do changes the outcome of the entire game as you go along. There are thousands and thousands of combinations of outcomes, and it all depends on your own actions. Deep game. Never heard anyone (who knew what they were doing) say any different. Expand
  93. Oct 17, 2011
    This is probably one of my favorite game ever. If you want to sit down to one of the most gripping stories in gaming with one of the most intuitive and fun control scheme's ever, then this is the game for you. Replay value is also one of the highest of any game because every scene can have a different outcome and no play- through will be exactly the same. I simply can't recommend this enough.
  94. Oct 13, 2011
    One of the best interactive dramas ever. A absolute unique experience, same to be said with the control scheme. The story is one of the best ever seen in a videogame. A flawless masterpiece.
  95. Oct 11, 2011
    Heavy Rain is a beautiful example of introducing a unique gameplay mixed with an exciting story. Multiple endings and the different characters you get to play make this a game a 10.
  96. Oct 2, 2011
    I got this game and the first thing I had to say after having a look at it was that the graphics are amazing, it is one of the most good looking games I have ever played. Since it provides move support, the game drags you into the story line and make you feel like that you are really the character you are playing, every action of our results in different cons, so the game is moreover a suspense that is never broken by having a look at any walk-through on youtube, some of our action may even result in killing the in-game character, the only bad thing you will notice about this game is that there is not much of a replay value to the game and the game lacks muliplayer mode.
    But most games aim at removing any stress or tension which they fail to do, lets take god of war for example, it is more of a nightmare to me in which you have to tap the bloody button and swing some **** i really feels like **** on the other hand heavy rain is a very pleasant game and I recommend this game to every PS3 owner because I think, it is one of the ps3 titles which can dominate the 360 and the move support gives it a nice reason for why you should buy it
  97. Oct 1, 2011
    ShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoffShutoff
  98. Sep 29, 2011
    Heavy Rain is a unique game. That being said, not everyone will like it. It is a game that taps in to your mind emotionally... and if you have the right personality and allow the game to immerse you in the world, you will experience so many mixed emotions that you will be dying for more. I became so immersed in the game that every action I performed, I felt like I was in the body of that character. Every desperate moment, every sad moment, every angry moment, it all channeled through to me. The only *bad* part of this game in my opinion was the intro... which starts off slow and starts you off in a "meh" kind of attitude. Get past this, and the game grows in intensity, and every choice you make will have some influence on the plot. Rent this if you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to try it out and if you don't like it, then you can say you tried it. Expand
  99. Sep 26, 2011
    Before you even consider this buying or renting game, you have to ask yourself a question. That question is "Do I like quick time events?". If you do, great! The majority of this game is made up of quick time events and we're already off to a good start here. If you don't, fair enough, they're not to everyone's taste, but I'd recommend you hang around and hear a bit more about the game. You see, I'm fairly indifferent on quick time events. For those who don't know, they're basically interactive cut-scenes in which you press buttons when prompted to. Whether or not you manage to successfully press the right buttons decides what will happen. Heavy Rain's gameplay is odd. It's mostly walking around and examining different everyday objects, or doing everyday things, and, of course, quick time events. To me, that sounded pretty boring, as walking around in a videogame can't be nothing short of mundane, and as I mentioned, I'm indifferent to quick time events, so they don't exactly excite me. In spite of all this, I decided to give the game a go anyway at the recommendation of a co-worker. I'll have to admit this though, I think it's purely my indifference that made me tolerate the gameplay. There's nothing in this game that will suddenly make you enjoy slow paced gameplay or quick time events if you despise them already. Heavy Rain doesn't set out to convert, it set's out to show those who are willing to give it a chance what I masterpiece they can do with that style of gameplay. The instantaneous hook for me was the presentation and the story. Heavy Rain's plot is, frankly, fantastic, and the graphics,voice acting and motion capture are of such good quality that it compliments the story to no end. It's hard to explain much of the story without spoilers, so my brief outline will have to do. A serial killer known as the Origami Killer is on the loose. The Killer kidnaps young boys consistently, who are then missing for several days before being found dead at random locations, origami figure in hand. You take on the roles of Ethan Mars, an architect, Scott Shelby, a private investigator, Norman Jayden, an FBI agent and Madison Paige, a photojournalist, all of whom have found themselves one way or another wrapped within the most recent disappearance, trying to bring the killer to justice. The story is engaging, dramatic, addictive and is on par in quality with real life murder drama TV series. Any doubts I had about the gameplay were thrown out of the window due to the sheer desire to find out what happens next. The best thing about the game is it's likely to be very different every time you play, and different for every person. Due to the nature of the gameplay, the game is very dynamic. In other games, failing or doing badly in a quick time event will just mean a "Game Over" leading you to do it again until you get it right. In Heavy Rain, for the most part this does not apply. The game continues down very different paths based on your actions in both quick time events and the general decisions you make. Sometimes this might only lead to a small change, such as deciding to go one direction before another, but the consequences of other decisions can be dire, even leading to the death of a character, or even your own character! If you're not careful, you may find yourself at the end of the story with all four of your protagonists deceased, and get the appropriate ending. While I praise this style of gameplay, meaning each run is tailored to the whims of the player, it can have it's drawbacks. Given the sometimes frantic pace, or misleading button instructions, you'll find yourself making errors that lead to consequences or events you didn't desire. It's frustrating when these aren't intentional. For example, you're interrogating a witness, and you wish to press "sympathise", but accidentally press "question further" which leads to unwanted results that could very well affect the overall story. There's a degree of satisfaction when you're intentional choices manifest within the story, but upsetting when those you made by accident do instead. You'll then have to battle the urge to restart the game and try again, as it sort of goes against the very point of the game being a unique experience. So this is something to be wary of. Ultimately, Heavy Rain is interesting. That's what it's got going for it. The plot is engaging and I found myself yearning to know what happens next and that's what kept me playing. If you know you're going to hate the gameplay style, then I don't think this is for you, but if you're indifferent like me, or curious, then by all means go for it and I doubt you'll be disappointed. However, do try and fight the temptation to make things go your way throughout the game, and try and maintain spontaneous decisions to get the most out of this wonderful game. Expand
  100. Mar 18, 2012

1. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you'll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you'll be bursting to talk about with your friends. [Feb 2010]
  2. For many people Heavy Rain won’t be more than a progression of quick-time-events, but for me this game has everything a great game needs. The thrilling story, the beautiful graphics and the innovative controls will let you play on and on, till you just can’t look any longer into your TV.
  3. We're enjoying it immensely... It is a game like none other. [Mar 2010, p.66]