• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 23, 2010
7.6

1. Nov 24, 2014
    What is this game?: You control 4 characters as they try to figure out who the Oragami killer is. An FBI detective, a Private Investigator, a man whose child has been kidnapped by the Oragami killer, and a lady who just so happens to be there and think the emotionally/physically distressed father is attractive. You all are trying to find the Oragami Killer and the kidnapped boy. The gameWhat is this game?: You control 4 characters as they try to figure out who the Oragami killer is. An FBI detective, a Private Investigator, a man whose child has been kidnapped by the Oragami killer, and a lady who just so happens to be there and think the emotionally/physically distressed father is attractive. You all are trying to find the Oragami Killer and the kidnapped boy. The game is practically an interactive movie that plays out similar with action scenes that consist of matching button prompts at the right time.

Pros:
    -For the most part the characters are well done and work as real people.
    -Good story with multiple endings depending on what you do or don't do in the game. What you fail or don't fail at.
    -The action scenes can be intense even though all you are doing are hitting buttons the screen prompts you to.
    -Graphics, music, and voice acting are done well. At times just the sound of fearful breathing is enough to make you feel immersed.

Cons:
    -The character of Madison has no believable motive. The love story(if you choose to pursue it) don't seem at all realistic.
    -The controls are clunky
    -The voice actors aren't American and sometimes a word is pronounced strangely.
    -Gameplay isn't actually fun but this is the type of game that is more about the experience.

Conclusion: If you are skeptical of the whole "interactive movie experience" then this game probably won't win you over. If you liked The Walking Dead games and pine for a more serious Zodiac like story then this is up your alley.
  2. Nov 21, 2014
    This game is truly amazing, the story is MOVIE quality, something allot of games like call of duty don't get. The controls surprisingly work almost perfectly, which wouldn't work with PC (amazing) or Xbox **** anyway lol) . There is NO game over, which more games like the walking dead should do, and every decision has game changing conclusions. Although i can not give it a 10/10, becauseThis game is truly amazing, the story is MOVIE quality, something allot of games like call of duty don't get. The controls surprisingly work almost perfectly, which wouldn't work with PC (amazing) or Xbox **** anyway lol) . There is NO game over, which more games like the walking dead should do, and every decision has game changing conclusions. Although i can not give it a 10/10, because there's not much "game" to it, the actions scenes are quick time events, although that can still get you to the end of your seat.
    Overall a fantastic game with a amazing story, amazing graphics, controls work very well but could do
    with more "game".
  3. Oct 31, 2014
    A unique and intense experience. This is one of those games where if you dive headlong into the nuances of the events, it is virtually impossible not to be touched, don't be surprise and don't live every moment intensely.

As for the gameplay, it may displease many people actually advance through the QTEs, but this is a matter of taste, not put in doubt the quality of this game.
  4. Oct 21, 2014
    [Pros]
    +Sound effects
    +Choices that matter +Fluid NPC movements +Lighting +Soundtrack +Multiple outcomes +Atmosphere +Rain [Cons] -Nerve-wracking voice acting, especially the children's -Cheesy storytelling -Weak story -Full of clichés -Unnecessary scenes -Irrational changes in behavior of some of the characters -Scenes involving children are extremely cheesy and
    [Pros]
    +Sound effects
    +Choices that matter
    +Fluid NPC movements
    +Lighting
    +Soundtrack
    +Multiple outcomes
    +Atmosphere
    +Rain

[Cons]
    -Nerve-wracking voice acting, especially the children's
    -Cheesy storytelling
    -Weak story
    -Full of clichés
    -Unnecessary scenes
    -Irrational changes in behavior of some of the characters
    -Scenes involving children are extremely cheesy and unrealistic
    -Annoying dialogues
    -Controls
    -Generic ending/credits music, which was really disappointing compared to rest of the soundtracks.
    -Did I mention the voice acting is unbelievably terrible?
  5. Sep 5, 2014
    Heavy Rain boasts one of the most relateable themes in a video game. It isn't about trying to rescue a princess from a monster, nor is it about trying to prevent World War 3. Instead, it's about a father trying to save his son. The theme of parenthood is shown throughout, particularly in the "trials" Ethan finds himself facing. More on that later.

It is worth considering that this isn't

It is worth considering that this isn't really a "game", but rather an interactive movie. Several complaints of the game have been that it might as well have been a movie instead, but I strongly disagree. Firstly, the experience wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't spent so much time (around 10 hours) with these four characters. It being a "game" meant that it could last much longer than if it were a movie, which is a big plus. Secondly, the key term in the phrase "interactive movie" is the "interactive" part. I've heard there are at least 20 endings to the game, completely determined by your actions as a player. Yes, you always visit the same locations but your Ethan Mars will most likely be very different to your friend's. As long as you don't go in to Heavy Rain expecting traditional game mechanics like health or an inventory, your experience will be an enjoyable one.

Another complaint this game receives is that it is merely "one long quick time event". Though I will argue that you do spend a considerable amount of time walking around to see what to interact with, there is some truth in the argument. However, quick time events usually ruin a game because they feel out of place, like in Bayonetta or God of War. However, the quick time events here are extremely well implemented. I honestly don't think that the game could have been done in any other way. All quick time events feel appropriate and never cheap or require ridiculously fast reflexes. Overall, I thing the QTEs work.

One thing that makes the game much more immersive is the fact that there is no game over screen. While you can fail a QTE, this doesn't result in a "fail" in the traditional sense. This merely forces the game to change the story in response to what has just happened. Characters can even die, and they story will merely carry on. That is one of the reasons why the game is so good at making you connect with the characters. You aren't concerned about points, high scores or loot, but instead you are concerned about the characters. One of the most disturbing scenes in the game involves one of the characters cutting his thumb off. You don't actually have to do it, but (without spoiling anything) it is strongly recommended that you do. Being given this choice is extremely stressful, but one of the most beautiful reasons why is not because it decreases your points, morality meter or HP, but that you have to watch him do it to himself. Despite this, the player considers this a difficult decision, which speaks volumes on how well the game connects you to its characters.

The game isn't perfect, though. I can agree that the opening goes on for just a bit too long. It is all to get you connected to the character, but there is still a lot of nothing much happening towards the beginning. Also, the facial motion capture can look quite ridiculous at times, with the characters looking as though they have a broken jaw. The game normally looks phenomenal, but character's faces can look fairly rubber-like up close. However, one of the biggest issues is the replay value. One would assume that a game with so much player choice would be brimming with it, but the fact is the characters that YOU create become so connected to you that you will probably end up just choosing the same choices on your second playthrough. Some might be content with 10 hours, but some might expect more for a game for approximately £20.

Overall, this game is moving, original, engaging and made me learn about myself whilst I was playing which few other games can claim to have done. It shows not just that video games are capable of telling amazing stories, but that they are capable of creating stories that actually revolve around the player and that they can have gameplay that compliments a story-driven game without having to sacrifice the actual "game" part.
  6. Aug 22, 2014
    This was one of the games I wanted to play the most when I got my PS3 as a late adapter. Demon's Souls was the other. I enjoyed both, but for different reasons. This one had me sucked into the story from the get-go. As a dad, it really tugged at me. As a gamer, it was a different kind of game than I am used to, but I appreciated the cinematic approach to the controls and presentation.This was one of the games I wanted to play the most when I got my PS3 as a late adapter. Demon's Souls was the other. I enjoyed both, but for different reasons. This one had me sucked into the story from the get-go. As a dad, it really tugged at me. As a gamer, it was a different kind of game than I am used to, but I appreciated the cinematic approach to the controls and presentation. It had a little too much unnecessary fluff added in, but at the end of the day it had me hooked until it was over. I may have to go back to see if it holds up storywise now that I know what happens and to get some different endings. Expand
  7. Aug 3, 2014
    Rating this 0 is radical. Same as rating it 10. This game is over 6 and below 9. 7.5 maybe 8.
    This game is a vision of it's Director David Cage. The drama is nice. Unlike Beyond 2 souls. This game has better strong story where decisions really matter.
    Game play is boring a little bit. I can agree with this. But would still enjoying playing the game. Games like this one is about story. You keep holding the control because you can get surprised easily. And because you want to follow the story.
    I bought this game intentionally because I wanted to see a better version of Beyond 2 Souls. And yes it is better in terms of story but not the game play.
    I would buy these type of games over and over again. Because it is some sort of an art. It could be bad gut definitely not a waste of time for me. Still David Cage has something to tell in his games that worth to be watched or played.
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    This was one of those games that has very little replay value but the initial playthrough is worth every penny. Great story and mistakes that really do matter. I would compare it to the walking dead series, just maybe not quite as good.
  9. Jul 23, 2014
    By now, I'm sure you've heard about "Heavy Rain." Critics loved it, gamers were rather polarized by it. You either love it or hate it. I love it. The storyline is well-written, the characters are great, the soundtrack is outstanding, the graphics are phenomenal, and the gameplay gives you plenty of control and the many choice-based system only puts icing on the cake of what is a fantasticBy now, I'm sure you've heard about "Heavy Rain." Critics loved it, gamers were rather polarized by it. You either love it or hate it. I love it. The storyline is well-written, the characters are great, the soundtrack is outstanding, the graphics are phenomenal, and the gameplay gives you plenty of control and the many choice-based system only puts icing on the cake of what is a fantastic journey.
    Even despite the game's insanely high score, I'll admit that "Heavy Rain" is not free from problems. Although the storyline is well-written, there are a few plot holes and unexplained plot devices (Norman Jayden's ARI and Triptocaine) and, although the acting is solid, there is some awkward line delivery. Even so, the plot actually manages to keep you thinking and asking questions long after you finish the game and it emotionally connects to you like few other games can. Translation: If you can get past the game's minor issues, "Heavy Rain" is a wonder to behold.
  10. Jul 13, 2014
    This is what I think: I play the game, loved the graphics, but what I liked even more was the idea!
    However I was very disappointed with the number of possible choices in each act, and further to the result thereof.
    Preferred it if they had not worked so hard in graphs and do a much bigger game results and choices. I no longer have patience for almost any game, are all very repetitive,
    I no longer have patience for almost any game, are all very repetitive, only change the characters and graphics. This game promised so much and gave so little.
    I hope they do something in the genus ps4, but this time with more choices and 100x more different results! I even buy my choices on psn if i must, but do it!
  11. Jun 26, 2014
    Point 'n Clicks for the 21st Century. I grew up on Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and later, Grim Fandango. Heavy Rain is a welcome burst of energy into the story driven game genre. It's a dark and adult thriller full of decisions and consequences. You spend the whole time trying to guess who is the Origami Killer (as you progress I becomes, IPoint 'n Clicks for the 21st Century. I grew up on Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and later, Grim Fandango. Heavy Rain is a welcome burst of energy into the story driven game genre. It's a dark and adult thriller full of decisions and consequences. You spend the whole time trying to guess who is the Origami Killer (as you progress I becomes, I thought, very obvious) however your never really know until the game wants you to. It still looks awesome, it's got some very bizarre controls and camera angles but all in all the game is a stunner. It makes good and logical use of QTEs, exploration and investigation and I love that when one of your characters dies they're gone for good... Warrants multiple, multiple playthroughs due to all the decisions and consequenses as well as the fact that it is very deep adventure title. 9/10 Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2014
    Its a really good game with a solid story and multiple endings, the only thing wrong with it is the controls, there is nothing really stand out about this game but if you're looking for a game with a good story and decent graphic for the PS3 anyways then i would definitely recommend this game.
  13. Jun 10, 2014
    Interesante historia, aunque tal vez menos que Farhenheit, en la cual puedes participar hasta cierto punto. La lástima es que el 90% de las mecánicas sean botoneo y precisión y a veces reviente la experiencia narrativa, eso sí para cualquier persona que quiera ver lo que es la disonancia ludonarrativa este es su programa.
  14. Jun 9, 2014
    This is certainly a unique game, and it's a must have for all fans of interactive/psychological/thriller games.
    It's like a long movie with great story and atmosphere where you're the main actor.
    Although it was sunny outside while I played it, I kind of felt drawn into the depressive and dark atmosphere of the game...drawn that much that I finished it in 2 days :) Since there are so
    Since there are so many possible outcomes, it's a perfect game for playing more than once and to make different choices and consequently view different endings.
    I used PS Move and that made it even more interesting.
    I'd give it an even higher grade but controls where annoying sometimes, especially when moving a character around the screen and it seemed like Move controls could be a little bit more precise, sometimes they simply didn't respond well.
  15. May 22, 2014
    In an industry dominated by shooters, RPGs, and endless sequels, Heavy Rain emerges as a true original. Few other games have been able to move me as well as this. This is an a game that has to be experienced. You won't forget it.
  16. May 1, 2014
    I'm kinda torn with this game.

Heavy Rain has some of the best visuals on the PS3 and the level of detail is just gorgeous. This is elevated even more when you consider when it came out. Story is also really great and is superbly written with some great twists and turns, but also leave a bit open so you can take a different path and see another outcome. Praise aside, I have a hard
    I'm kinda torn with this game.

Praise aside, I have a hard time calling this a "game." It would perhaps be more accurate to call it an interactive movie. The character control and steering system it is using a really dated and the camera is sometimes really hard to either control or see what you want to see. If this had been a PS2 release, I would have been more forgiving to this aspect, but there are many other titles that have given better control mechanisms for this style of gameplay.

Overall:
    While it has some flaws Heavy Rain is still a masterpiece of storytelling. Unfortunately it is a shame that they couldn't have flushed out the gameplay and control a bit more.
  17. Apr 24, 2014
    Revolutionary and extremely well polished. This game will suck you into an adventure you've never experienced before with gaming. Finally, a game where your actions changes the plot. The scenario could make a great movie, the original score blends perfectly into the action and the scene cutting keeps you constantly craving to make the story evolve to its final twist. Kudos to theRevolutionary and extremely well polished. This game will suck you into an adventure you've never experienced before with gaming. Finally, a game where your actions changes the plot. The scenario could make a great movie, the original score blends perfectly into the action and the scene cutting keeps you constantly craving to make the story evolve to its final twist. Kudos to the production team for putting the effort and creativity in crafting high quality games like this one. Expand
  18. Apr 21, 2014
    this has one of the greatest stories in a video game, and the concept of every decision effecting the events in the story is so immersive, that its one of the most personal experiences ever, not quite like the walking dead where your choices are mostly dialogue, but the choices in this game are your actions, and will leave off with like 20 multiple endings or something like that, I don'tthis has one of the greatest stories in a video game, and the concept of every decision effecting the events in the story is so immersive, that its one of the most personal experiences ever, not quite like the walking dead where your choices are mostly dialogue, but the choices in this game are your actions, and will leave off with like 20 multiple endings or something like that, I don't know I've only played through it twice, but will probably play it again in the near future. The choices, in your first play through at least are extremely hard to make, they will challenge your morals and values as a person and you will always have to think twice about them. the few flaws in this game such as some awkward voice acting and animations are to small to even make a difference in the experience of the game, admittedly the first hour of the game is slow, but necessary to understand one of your characters a little better, and after that, the game is a nonstop roller coaster ride that you will never forget Expand
  19. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. David Cage has done it again. And by done it again, clearly, I mean, Cage has taken Indigo Prophecy and thrown it in a wash machine, spun it around, and taken it out to look at his brand new, sopping wet masterpiece that is Heavy Rain.
    Hiding in the metaphorical center of France, David Cage sits in his office at Quantic Dream and churns out hit, after hit. Starting with the famously infamous thrill ride of poorly explained mystical powers given to a personality void protagonist. To follow up the award winning narrative, Heavy Rain was born.
    The story of a simple man, a simple, ridiculously futuristic FBI agent with unexplained technology, a simple reporter with insomnia, and a simple private investigator of considerable weight. The first man, Ethan Mars, having already lost a son and experienced a coma due to a car accident of sorts, finds his son Shaun to be missing. Upon this new discovery, the kidnapper, of his last remaining son, known as the Origami Killer, leaves Saw-like challenges for him to complete in hopes of getting a few letters of the address of his son’s location. Being introduced as playable characters, the supporting cast help fill in the rest of the mystery, however nonsensical it may be, with their own individual investigations.
    Assigned to the renowned Origami Killer case, Norman Jayden, a FBI agent with a serious dependency on some unknown drug that only exists in David Cage’s mind, jumps on the case with two feet. He uses his immense detective skills taught to him by the FBI to solve the case, in the form of a pair of glasses that literally show him where every piece of evidence is, what it means, and how its connect to other evidence.
    Scott Shelby, a plump private investigator with an apparent soft spot for kids and good deeds travels around looking for any clues the Origami Killer could have left behind with the parents of the young victims. Shelby uses his vast experience in the investigatory field to never get arrested for anything, including the time, if you so choose to go down the story branch, he shoots up an entire mansion of body guards. And Madison Page, a hardboiled reporter with insomnia is there to...be female. What else is there to say. It’s David Cage, after all.
    So, being a game specifically about the narrative, let’s talk about the narrative first. Being one to have experienced both Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, I can definitively say that the similarity between several scenes in each game is astounding. Coming from that standpoint, it is only slightly disappointing to have essentially paid for the same experience with different characters, and a vaguely more revealing gratuitous shower scene.
    In addition to the similarity with Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain has been known for it’s massive plot holes, and over exaggerated storyline and plot points. The most noticeable plot hole being, just before Shaun’s disappearance, Ethan Mars experiences several blackouts, always coming-to in the middle of a street somewhere, grasping an origami figure in his hand. This made the player believe that maybe Ethan was the killer, especially since Ethan’s ex-wife, Grace, mentions to the police that Ethan had come to her house, mumbling something about drowning kids sometime around Shaun’s disappearance. But when this is never addressed again, and just forgotten about by every character involved in this God forsaken game, its leaves the audience baffled. It’s almost as if David Cage had written an entire supernatural plot where Ethan shares a special connection with the killer, experiencing his memories of drowning children, but decided not to include it, took it out, but left all of the signs and foreshadowing of that plot in the final product. Oh, wait. He did.
    To further give the player a sense of utter confusion, Cage makes sure to include multiple murders all over the rainy city. Nearly everyone who is interviewed in the sake of the case is a murderer. One of which, a calculated serial killer who is just interviewed about an apartment he owns, but doesn’t even use.
    The police in Heavy Rain really aren’t any better. A branch of the storyline that remains constant is the arrest of Ethan Mars by the police. They make this arrest with the most circumstantial evidence ever to be thought up. The testimony made by his ex-wife, Grace. With this “solid” evidence against him, the entire police force, and what appears to be an off-brand SWAT, track Ethan down and chase him onto the roof. But if you decided that Ethan should jump off that roughly five story building, the police look down at him, walking off with a minor limp and seemingly say to themselves, “Nah, that’s too much work. He’s gone for good.”
    Well, it is a game, right? How is the gameplay? The gameplay is the most important part of a game, right? No, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but that is not the case for this “Playstation’s Great’s Hit” title carrier. But,
  20. Apr 8, 2014
    Heavy Rain is a polarizing experience that is one of the best games of the last 10 years. It may not be for everyone but there is something to be said about the amount of hate and love this game gets, it is truly something special.

The story is gripping to the last second, and at times emotionally draining for the player as well. This is well written stuff that takes turns when you least expect it. Graphics and Sound are exceptional and were really able to be fleshed out due to it's unconventional game-play.

Don't let anyone tell you that this is a quicktime fest, while games in the past have offered "interactive cut-scenes" were you essentially must click (X) to not fail, Heavy Rain makes every button press have weight and true consequences to it. In fight scenes you may have to press something that comes on the screen, but the way it is done makes you feel in the moment, analog presses and movements really make you feel like you are controlling limbs rather than simply button mashing. Also if you miss a timed button press there are actions other than "you fail try again", it's more of a game than you might of heard.

It's a bit more than an interactive movie, as you have at will the choice to bring up your characters' thoughts and ideas, motives and fears. You control how things play out in what order, even the script.

Love it or hate it, it must be experienced.
  21. Mar 25, 2014
    The most depressing game ever. I cried with Ethan's story, Felt Sorrow in Madison's story, Concerned in Norman's story and finally extremely determined and curious in Scott Shelby's story.
    Little did I know about the 6' 5" detectives role until later on... If you are a parent I recommend that you buy this game to think about your kids and the Origami Killer. It's only like $15 so go and grab it!
  22. Mar 22, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. I cannot really argue against those who dislike this for the lack of gameplay, but the story (especially the killer reveal that I did not see coming) blew me away. The wealth of choices also are just astonishing, as there is something along the lines of twenty endings. A genuinely inventive and brilliant game.
  23. Mar 18, 2014
    I like this game it has a really interesting story and depending on how you play the game and the choices you make you will get different endings so you could play it more than once and still have a different story at the end I like the mystery and how you have to find out where your characters son is and the challenges you have to do to get clues to where and who took your son. I alsoI like this game it has a really interesting story and depending on how you play the game and the choices you make you will get different endings so you could play it more than once and still have a different story at the end I like the mystery and how you have to find out where your characters son is and the challenges you have to do to get clues to where and who took your son. I also like how realistic the characters look. Expand
  24. Mar 14, 2014
    Great quality game! So much fun to play. If I could change one thing however, the change of camera angle makes the games controls harder and more complicated. The story is so much better than I expected, most games are easy to guess the outcomes of the story, this one however was hard to guess. Also there are many different ways for the game to end and different stories based on differentGreat quality game! So much fun to play. If I could change one thing however, the change of camera angle makes the games controls harder and more complicated. The story is so much better than I expected, most games are easy to guess the outcomes of the story, this one however was hard to guess. Also there are many different ways for the game to end and different stories based on different decisions in the game, this feature makes you want to make the right one. Expand
  25. Mar 14, 2014
    Heavy Rain is a pretentious bore. Gameplay consists of quick time events, cutscenes, wandering around unsure of what to press the X button at, and interactive sequences about getting your kid a snack. Heavy Rain is not a game. It’s a mediocre video that occasionally prompts you to press buttons.

There are a few mildly interesting parts and the graphics are quite nice, but being more video than game means the whole thing needs to be carried by its story. Unfortunately, the story is lame and has a big reveal at the end that is just stupid. If Heavy Rain were an actual movie, it would be a forgettable box office bomb. There are several possible endings, but getting them entails going through the whole thing several times with a guide close at hand because unlocking some endings depends on stupid, hidden tasks like making your kid that snack within a certain amount of time. If that sounds like fun, knock yourself out.
  26. Mar 12, 2014
    Heavy Rain was and will be for long an unique game. Great plot, Very strong performance of the characters, new storylife for every protagonist, magnetizing story. The single thing that's a flaw for me is that the investigations that Jayden does are very boring and make the game a bit weeker. All in all, everything is very nice and you have to spend a lot of time, finding out what theHeavy Rain was and will be for long an unique game. Great plot, Very strong performance of the characters, new storylife for every protagonist, magnetizing story. The single thing that's a flaw for me is that the investigations that Jayden does are very boring and make the game a bit weeker. All in all, everything is very nice and you have to spend a lot of time, finding out what the endless ways the game has. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2014
    I beat this game in a single 6 hour sitting, and correctly guessed the killer after only a couple hours. The big problem with this game is that it limits you in the options you can choose, and there are some inconsistencies. e.g. there is a specific item which gives the killer away, and that person isn't even wearing it in some scenes, despite claiming that they always wear it.

The

The concept is great, but the implementation isn't. Plus the game was a bit glitchy at first, I remember one scene where you have to escape a burning building, and I was able to just walk right out (through the door). I had to walk back in to trigger the game scene.

So 6/10 - Great concept, good plot, but poorly implemented mechanics. You should be able to guess the murderer earlier to alter the plot of the game if you have sufficient evidence.
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    i will like to say this. this game? is god awful. the voice acting is ridiculous, and filled with the majority being french actors, even though this whole thing should take place in america, and the worst among them are the kids!!! the kids, sound like retarded robots set on french attitude mode. there are MASSIVE plot holes in this whole game! the way Jason died made no sense, becausei will like to say this. this game? is god awful. the voice acting is ridiculous, and filled with the majority being french actors, even though this whole thing should take place in america, and the worst among them are the kids!!! the kids, sound like retarded robots set on french attitude mode. there are MASSIVE plot holes in this whole game! the way Jason died made no sense, because there should have been no reason whatsoever he should have died. the only reason he did die is because of david cage, and his need for SADNESS PLOT. David Cage made so many mistakes while writing this game, that if i had a marker to mark how many faults there are, i would run through about 3, before i got to the Shark trial crap. the only thing i like about this game, is the the controls. they work very well, and that is my only complement i will give to monsieur Cage. i can see how some people would say "no, its a great story" and at first if you do not pay attention, yes it would be. but the second time when you actually pay attention to detail, you will think "oh god, what is this? why does this exist?" its awful. the only thing that stand up with this game is its graphics, and controls. everything else is completely awful, and i pray to god, the man invests in GOOD editors in his next game instead of graphics. make fun games your priority monsieur cage. not sad games. thank you, and please stop. Expand
  29. Feb 14, 2014
    This is a very interesting game.
    It has a very dark and depressing tone bar the first two chapters. However this tone really works with the game. I love decision based games like this and the gameplay is fun.
    This is a very interesting game.
    The voice acting is poor in some places (Ethan Mars is a robot) and alot of the characters sound French or something when they are American. Some moments in the game are particularly tense and require good reactions if you are on hard mode which is a good challenge and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see whether the main characters would succeed in their goal.
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    I don't normally like this kind of game but it just goes to show that interactive story telling can work when it's done properly. It's a great looking game too.
  31. Jan 25, 2014
    Imagine renting a mediocre movie, press play, and then it pauses itself every five seconds, leaving you to decipher some random button-pressing on the remote to get it going again. WTF!
    This must be the last five years biggest "swing 'n miss" project I have encountered.

The many 10 reviews can only be explained by the big step up in the graphics-department, which is I agree, substantial.
    This is not groundbreaking game development. The idea of combining a great movie with interactive game play, was perfected with Mass effect, and many others before.

So I felt obligated to pile on with a warning to future potential buyers: If you are not impressed by graphics, if you don't enjoy pressing and holding one button, then another, then another, then another in order for your bad movie to continue. Stay away!

Also. I understand their next installment "Beyond: Two souls" is even worse, whitch is hard to imagine.
  32. Jan 25, 2014
    Cinematic? Yes. Entertaining at times? Yes. A game? Definitely, no.
    If only visuals and sound would be supplemented by gameplay -- it could be one of the best adventure games ever. But it's merely an interactive movie with multiple endings. And I've seen some better movies too.
  33. Jan 22, 2014
    Heavy Rain is a very ambitious game, it borders on the line of being a video game and being an interactive story. The story is the greatest part of the game regardless if you think it is an actual game or not. It is a mystery about the origami killer, who is he and what are his motifs? You play as four characters and your decisions during the story effect how the story plays out and how itHeavy Rain is a very ambitious game, it borders on the line of being a video game and being an interactive story. The story is the greatest part of the game regardless if you think it is an actual game or not. It is a mystery about the origami killer, who is he and what are his motifs? You play as four characters and your decisions during the story effect how the story plays out and how it ends. You do not get to pick every piece of dialogue that comes out of the characters mouth, which bugged me because these are your choices and it is not always up to you. The controls are unusual at first but once you get use to them they will come naturally. Heavy Rain tries to do a lot of things in one game, and also tries to be something new in the industry at the same time. It might not check everything off its "to do list" but accomplishes most of its ambitions. Expand
  34. Jan 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by saying I really wanted to like Heavy Rain. I really did. I had heard good reviews from so many people, people giving it 10/10 and calling it a revolutionary game. I had even liked LA. Noire, surely I’m going to like this game! But I just don’t see it. Heavy Rain is mediocre at best, and there are many things wrong with the game. The voice acting, the controls, the character personification, the graphics, the overuse of the tiling videos in the cut scenes and the storyline, they all added up to create a game that in my opinion is overrated and does not deserve to be in the Play Station 3 essentials category.

Usually, and in most cases I love games that focus on telling the player a good story. Dues Ex: HR, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Gone Home, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, there are plenty of games I can list that have kept me interested throughout the game, and in the case of having to save a character, made me feel compelled to save them as fast as possible in case for some inconceivable reason something may happen if I don’t get to them in time. But even after playing for a few hours I felt none of that with the characters from Heavy Rain. In fact, I felt the complete opposite.

The father constantly looks bored and even while searching “frantically" for either of his sons looks like he’d rather be somewhere else. The fact that during these scenes the player is unable to make their character run only further adds to the feeling. I daresay if it weren’t for the fact the player was able to read the characters mind you could be forgiven in thinking he doesn’t give a rats ass about either of his sons.

The voice acting is atrocious the two sons always sound whiny, please just shut up already! And the father as usual sounds like his kids are in the room next door not missing like they actually are.

Control wise it suffers from the same problems Telltales Season One of The Walking Dead did. The controls are clunky and walking through doors especially, pushing forward on the analogue stick will more often than not make the character change directions walking back out the door. A frustrating experience, but given the game is several years old something that may have been able to be overlooked had the game not had so many other problems.

Here I am probably being picky, but the graphics didn’t cut if for me. The father and the sons seem rushed and more often that not I would find myself looking at them strangely thinking for lack of a better word that their faces looked sometimes slightly retarded. And although Heavy Rain has been described as an interactive novel of sorts, I found David Cage’s overuse of tiling the same video from different angles particularly annoying. It worked great for the opening scene but just because it worked once doesn’t mean you should use it in every single cutscene. It’s like listening to a new favourite song. Listen to it too much (or in this case use) and eventually you’re going to start hating it.

One positive I can find from the game is the music. I felt Painful Memories by Normand Corbeil particularly befitting of the game and if I were an iTunes user would probably fork out $1.50 to buy the track.

Overall it seems like Heavy Rain is bound to follow in the steps of a typical murder-thriller script. I say bound because while I didn’t finish it I’ve seen enough thrillers to know the basic structure. Sitting here writing this I can say with certainty that I didn’t like the game. The personification of Shaun and Ethan Mars combined with the acting do nothing for me and ultimately create characters that I don’t care about and don’t want to save. The son was abducted? That’s okay I didn’t really like him… Oh you can kill off the father? Sweet I might actually do that.

While the game is certainly not bad and there are plenty of games far worse, the game is also not good and I can think of hundreds of games that I would prefer to play over this. If you want to get it go ahead plenty of people think it’s a brilliant game and you might fall into the same category as them. If however, you’re not too sure on whether to pick it up go and watch part one of a play through on Youtube. You may just save yourself wasting $20.
  35. Jan 3, 2014
    From the reviews, you can guess ths is a mixed bag. While I don't think it's as great or innovative as many people claim it to be,(the same company made a very similar game called Fahrenheit a few years before), it is not as bad as others claim either. It falls in between. What I love, is that it takes the interactive narrative format from Fahrenheit to a new high. The cinematic storyFrom the reviews, you can guess ths is a mixed bag. While I don't think it's as great or innovative as many people claim it to be,(the same company made a very similar game called Fahrenheit a few years before), it is not as bad as others claim either. It falls in between. What I love, is that it takes the interactive narrative format from Fahrenheit to a new high. The cinematic story actually changes depending on what you choose. One of the people you are controlling can die and that has repercussions on figuring out who the killer is in time. More than one actually. And you wont know which choice determines what development. You really see a movie unfold before you and which is governed by your choices not knowing there are a bunch of other ways things could have turned out. This is very special.
    However, the execution is not always perfect. For an interactive story to work as a game, you need 2 things, a solid story and solid game mechanics and it falls short on both.
    The story has many, many plot holes and certain events just do not make any sense. The origami killer seems omniscient and supernaturally quick and stealthy which hurts any sense of realism the game is trying to achieve. It also does not help that anyone with half a brain can figure stuff out faster than either of the two people investigating the murders. A clue will be staring them in the face and they just won't get it.
    The other point to make is that the controls are not great. They are fine for quick time events but controlling your character's movements is sometimes very clumsy. Your character will sometimes wander off somewhere you never intended, or won't be prompted to use stairs or open a cupboard even though the character is aligned with the correct direction. There are also a few glitches here and there. I had to restart a checkpoint due to a series of prompts not appearing when they should have.

Issues like these might be forgiven in other games where action style gameplay is the primary concern but since it is not the case here, the game really suffers for it. I still say it is worth your time since this is a very unique experience. However for an action adventure game with a noir setting, you are better off with LA Noir. And for a modern noir film (neo noir) experience, you are better off with Seven or Prisoners.
  36. Dec 25, 2013
    Best game ever made in history. If you do not enjoy this game and think it is boring, it shows you simply do not have the emotional capacity to enjoy such an incredible experience. I was mindblown by this game. Yes, its not call of duty and you dont go around shooting people randomly, but it is the story and the suspense that made me fall in love with this game. There are literallyBest game ever made in history. If you do not enjoy this game and think it is boring, it shows you simply do not have the emotional capacity to enjoy such an incredible experience. I was mindblown by this game. Yes, its not call of duty and you dont go around shooting people randomly, but it is the story and the suspense that made me fall in love with this game. There are literally unlimited ways this game can play out depending on the choices you make, and this is one reason why I ended up playing this masterpiece eight times. IF YOU HAVE A PS3, YOU MUSR BUY THIS: BEST PS3 EXCLUSIVE! Expand
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    This is not a game but a movie which gives you some choices and gives you different endings. I recommend not to play it twice, the second times just doesn't feel like the "right" story anymore.
    The acting is just as good as in any well acted movie or tv-series and the motion capture works well. The story is very emotional and I really felt for all the characters and wanted to keep every one off them alive. This game will bring a tear to your eye and is more emotional then most dramatic movies because you feel you are actually responsible for all the choices. Only one comment though: the gameplay and controls feel a little "stiff", as is seeing the characters walking.
    One of the best and certainly most memorable games of this generation. Highly recommended to everyone.
  38. Dec 11, 2013
    There is one word that popped up in my mind after playing this game: Cheesy. I can see how shallow people would enjoy it, but halfway through I just wanted the game to finish already. It was just dragging along and the gameplay is just terrible. I would seriously prefer to go back and play some point & click adventure games by LucasArts. There is nothing revolutionary about these games,There is one word that popped up in my mind after playing this game: Cheesy. I can see how shallow people would enjoy it, but halfway through I just wanted the game to finish already. It was just dragging along and the gameplay is just terrible. I would seriously prefer to go back and play some point & click adventure games by LucasArts. There is nothing revolutionary about these games, actually I believe it's going a step backwards instead of forwards. Cage needs to ring Naughty Dog for some lessons on how to write a compelling story. Expand
  39. Dec 9, 2013
    Best game ever! Greatest gameplay ever!!! Respect Heard so much about this game... never thought it would give me so much satisfaction. Beautiful graphics.. and the gameplay is really unbelievable... I think it's the best game on ps3 ever.... don't understand the negative replies on this game...
  40. Dec 1, 2013
    One of the the most unique and satisfying gaming experiences you can have on the playstation 3. Even my friends were straight on hooked on this game who arent even into video games.
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    Heavy Rain is Beautiful game, unique sensations.
    The music is wonderful, the brilliant script.
    it's fun and engaging

I do not understand the low scores :S
  42. Nov 24, 2013
    To start things off, I really love this game. The storyline is incredible and with all you do in the game, you feel like most things you do actually make an impact on the game. People can live or die based on what you do! So with that mindset, I'd give the game a 10/10. That being said, I felt certain aspects of the game could have been tweaked. I think the voice acting was pretty hit andTo start things off, I really love this game. The storyline is incredible and with all you do in the game, you feel like most things you do actually make an impact on the game. People can live or die based on what you do! So with that mindset, I'd give the game a 10/10. That being said, I felt certain aspects of the game could have been tweaked. I think the voice acting was pretty hit and miss. Same with the character models (I think Madison was the best and Ethan was probably the worst to be fair). Last thing that could be ragged on (but I don't necessarily hate) is that there's not a whole lot of actual gameplay. The game's essentially a game long quick time event. So, if you hate the whole quick time even thing (and using your analog because you'll be using that in ways you never imagined) then this game may not be for you. Expand
  43. Nov 22, 2013
    This game absolutely blew my mind! Never before have I ever felt so invested in a game and its characters. The story is amazing with an incredible twist at the end. This game had me hooked from the very beginning. I beat this game in a day because I just couldn't bring myself to put the controller down and almost felt like crying when the game was over. Not to mention the replay value isThis game absolutely blew my mind! Never before have I ever felt so invested in a game and its characters. The story is amazing with an incredible twist at the end. This game had me hooked from the very beginning. I beat this game in a day because I just couldn't bring myself to put the controller down and almost felt like crying when the game was over. Not to mention the replay value is sky high with multiple choices and decisions you can make that really affect how the story plays out. But I think what makes this game truly remarkable are the characters. They are so well developed, they feel so much like real people you would pass by on the street, with real lives and histories. But the characters Ethan Mars and Norman Jaden, for me, truly stole the show. I found myself eagerly awaiting for the next time I would get to guide Ethan through his next trial or power up ARI with Jaden. My one and only gripe about this game would be the controls. While they weren't difficult to get used to, I found it pretty annoying having to hold R2 and turn your characters head in the direction you wanted to walk with the left stick. I often found the character not going quite where I wanted them to which could be frustrating, but didn't ruin the gameplay at all. Though if you're not quite familiar with ps3 controls I would definitely suggest playing on one of the lower difficulties as the QTE's can be quite tricky. All in all if you're looking for a completely immersive gameplay experience, get this game! You will NOT regret it. Expand
  44. Nov 21, 2013
    Heavy Rain is basically a 10 hours long breathtaking neo-noir interactive movie. Yes, it might be more of an interactive movie than an actual game with fluid gameplay etc., but that doesn't change the intensity of your experience in the least and you still have pretty important choices and decisions ahead of you. Heavy Rain just focuses on different elements: the story, characters,Heavy Rain is basically a 10 hours long breathtaking neo-noir interactive movie. Yes, it might be more of an interactive movie than an actual game with fluid gameplay etc., but that doesn't change the intensity of your experience in the least and you still have pretty important choices and decisions ahead of you. Heavy Rain just focuses on different elements: the story, characters, atmosphere, it's all premium quality here and the emotional reactions this game can evoke within you can be pretty strong, so it's definitely recommended to go through this piece at least once. 9/10 Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2013
    Un gran juego, con mucha innovación, te gustara la primera vez que lo juegues, según las decisiones que tomes, asi irá el juego, una trama digna de las peliculas de Holliwood, con un modo historia que te mete en el juego desde el principio hasta el final, un juego obligado para todos aquellos poosedores de una ps3 y amantes de lo nuevo, emocionante y vibrante, una obra maestra de QuanticUn gran juego, con mucha innovación, te gustara la primera vez que lo juegues, según las decisiones que tomes, asi irá el juego, una trama digna de las peliculas de Holliwood, con un modo historia que te mete en el juego desde el principio hasta el final, un juego obligado para todos aquellos poosedores de una ps3 y amantes de lo nuevo, emocionante y vibrante, una obra maestra de Quantic Dream ^_^ Expand
  46. Nov 13, 2013
    I give 10 for story and idea and 5 for gameplay and intro but for the repeatiable thing i give again 10 so it is 9/10 game if you have a PS3 and not ever play heavy rain YOU SHOULD!
  47. Nov 10, 2013
    This is the first time I score a game with a 10/10. The story line is perfect, beautiful soundtrack, and a gameplay who helps to empathize with the characters. Surprising ending.
  48. Oct 29, 2013
    Well. What can I say about heavy rain? First of all, it's really gripping, the story was excellent, the graphics are great, the characters are brilliant, the gameplay, however is a little dull at times (but nothing gamebreaking or serious) and the controls can be a little clunky, but don't let that stop you from experiencing this masterpeice!
  49. Oct 15, 2013
    One of the best games of this generation. A truly moving, emotional game. A dark, gritty, and heartbreaking crime drama for the ages. This is, without a doubt, a game that every PS3 owner needs to experience.
  50. Oct 11, 2013
    More like a movie than a game, Heavy Rain is still an impressing experience and its gripping, shocking story is one of the best I've ever experienced in gaming, and its gameplay controls are impressing as well, tackling down all its little problems (technical glitches, mispronouncing of the word "origami", and the slow pace of the game's prologue) and it couldn't get any better. The onlyMore like a movie than a game, Heavy Rain is still an impressing experience and its gripping, shocking story is one of the best I've ever experienced in gaming, and its gameplay controls are impressing as well, tackling down all its little problems (technical glitches, mispronouncing of the word "origami", and the slow pace of the game's prologue) and it couldn't get any better. The only thing that compares with Heavy Rain is Remedy's horror game Alan Wake, another game explaining within the darkest side of our sanity and reality. The search of a child kidnapped by the Origami Killer has never been so chilling and thrilling that I've ever succeeded in, and all the acclaim and sales proves it. I want to have a second run of Heavy Rain once again, because on how much its affection, along with games (Uncharted, The Last of Us, and more), impacted me, I wouldn't be wishing to stop getting my hands off the Dualshock.
    How much its affection is? Wanting to know how important life is, and loving it, despite on its changes, and save those who deserve to live, who you deserve to love, and who deserve to love you. That's how the affection is, after slitting Heavy Rain in the PS3, with the Dualshock in hands, and pressing the "play" button when you are ready. (9.5 out of 10)
  51. Oct 8, 2013
    The game is good. the storyline looks kinda glum. But it's a nice try. Maybe 2 to 3 years later a much more perfect version could be released...oh well. Still a good game
  52. Oct 5, 2013
    this game is truly different ,and that is what makes it so good it literally feels like a movie except you control what happens .at the end of the day i think everybody needs to play this game
  53. Oct 4, 2013
    um jogo incrível, cuja experiência aumenta gradativamente com a trama. Pra quem quer um game com um ótimo enredo, tensão e principalmente inovação, não vai se arrepender.
  54. Oct 2, 2013
    Absolute brilliant piece of work. The plot was very well written and completely amazed after playing. Good graphics, the gameplay might be a bit boring for people who look for excited controls or gameplay. This is certainly one of the best stories I have ever heard through out my life. Too bad they are making a movie instead of another game though.....
  55. Oct 2, 2013
    I've seen and heard people sh*t all over this game because its a because it is not really a game...its more a movie.A f*cking good one at that,I cant tell you how good this game is how interesting the characters are and how awesome it is to see each ending.I loved the fact that one choice could change the whole game like my first play through I was not quick enough and a character died,I've seen and heard people sh*t all over this game because its a because it is not really a game...its more a movie.A f*cking good one at that,I cant tell you how good this game is how interesting the characters are and how awesome it is to see each ending.I loved the fact that one choice could change the whole game like my first play through I was not quick enough and a character died, instead of giving me a restart screen that was it.That character was gone for the rest of the game and that is pretty awesome,the game really cheap now if your a ps3 owner GET IT!. Expand
  56. Sep 16, 2013
    Un asesino serial, un agente de policía y un padre desesperado son los ingredientes que dan pie a la trama de Heavy Rain, un juego exclusivo para PS3 desarrollado por el equipo de Sony Computer Entertainment Europe con la colaboración de Quantic Dream.

Una vida perfecta…… Despiertas en tu recamara, el sol entra por la ventana, te asomas al jardín, tomas una ducha y recuerdas que es el

Una vida perfecta……
    Despiertas en tu recamara, el sol entra por la ventana, te asomas al jardín, tomas una ducha y recuerdas que es el cumpleaños de tu hijo Jason, el mayor, tu esposa lo llevo de compras junto con su hermano Shaun, para cuando regresan a casa ya es hora de la comida pero te das tiempo de salir y jugar un rato con los chicos.

Así es como comienza todo en Heavy Rain, un juego con un estilo muy diferente a los demás, que bien se le podría llamar película interactiva antes de considerarlo un videojuego pero eso sería muy poco para describir todo lo que en realidad es; una experiencia inolvidable.

Tratando de evitar los spoilers les puedo contar que la historia gira entorno a un asesino serial que azota la ciudad, todo esto visto a través de 4 personajes diferentes que en algún momento cruzaran sus caminos para darnos los diferentes ángulos de esta trama y así poder llegar a resolver el caso del “Asesino del Origami”.

¿Porque no corre?

Lo primero que notaras al tomar el control de alguno de los personajes, es que no puedes correr, ni saltar, ni golpear, tan solo se limita a caminar, observar e interactuar con algunos objetos, pero aquí es donde está el detalle primordial de Heavy Rain, en todo momento estarás decidiendo si hacer o no diversas actividades, las cuales pueden tener consecuencias en los sucesos posteriores tratando de darte esa sensación que se tiene en la vida real al momento de tomar decisiones, estas van desde que tu personaje se bañe o se ponga a trabajar o ambas o ninguna y la historia continuara sin mayor problema hasta llegar a algunas más complejas donde estará en juego la vida de los personajes.

En algunos momentos del juego tenemos la libertad de explorar diferentes áreas, en estas tendremos la posibilidad de escuchar los pensamientos de nuestros personajes con solo presionar un botón, para así entenderlo mejor y saber cuáles son sus reacciones ante las diferentes situaciones que se le presentan.

Necesitaras buenos reflejos

Existen varias secuencias de acción en donde tendremos que ir presionando los botones que aparecen en pantalla o realizar ciertos movimientos con los Sticks para que nuestro personaje en turno realice diferentes movimientos, en algunos incluso se utiliza el olvidado sixaxis y hace ya algún tiempo se agrego la compatibilidad con el PSmove para tratar de dar una mejor experiencia al momento de estarlo jugando.

Se puede llegar a pensar que es un juego lento pero debemos de considerar que es el ritmo en el que estuvo pensado para que podamos asimilar todo lo que está pasando en esta historia tan compleja y así lograr obtener esa sensación de drama deseada por sus creadores.

Realidad o Realidad Virtual

Algo sobresaliente es el aspecto grafico, que si bien no es sorpresa al ser desarrollado por un estudio especialista en captura de movimiento, lo que lograron hacer con los rostros de los personajes dentro del juego fue lo que los llevo a ser considerados de los mejores en el mundo para la captura facial y de sentimientos en modelos virtuales.

Durante las pantallas de carga entre las diferentes escenas nos muestran los rostros del personaje a controlar en un primer plano y es aquí donde podemos apreciar la cantidad de detalle con la que fueron hechos.

¿Por qué jugarlo?

Como lo dije al principio, mas allá de un juego es una experiencia de vida, solo necesitas dejarte llevar por la historia de este fantástico thriller psicológico la cual te mantendrá enganchado y no te dejara soltar el control, el juego está hecho para que lo disfrutes como si fuera una película solo con el pequeño detalle que dura de entre 8 a 10 horas según tus acciones, por lo tanto creo que si lo terminas en unos 4 o 5 días tendrás toda la información aun fresca en tu memoria.

¿Por qué NO jugarlo?

Para empezar, ¿se juega?, hay varios momentos en los que seremos simples espectadores de una película en HD, además de varias partes medias flojas en donde la historia va avanzando a cuenta gotas y en mi caso que lo jugué en español, de castilla, varias animaciones no van en ritmo con el sonido.

Este es MI final

La verdad me hice un fan del juego desde que lo terminé, pero no me animo a reiniciarlo para no perder esa historia que me toco y quedarme con esa versión como mi Heavy Rain, platicando con otras personas que lo han jugado nos dimos cuenta que todos teníamos un final diferente y creo que eso es lo que lo hace especial, el sentir que cada quien tiene su desenlace personal.

Les recomiendo ampliamente que lo jueguen y no importa si solo lo rentan un fin de semana, lo que importa es no perderse la oportunidad de disfrutarlo.
  57. Sep 15, 2013
    I watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this game since I don't own a PS3. Damn, this is seriously one of the better character/story driven games out there. It's a bit slow in the beginning and if you want a comparison, I'd say The Walking Dead (for the PC) compare to this quite well. While I did like The Walking Dead more than Heavy Rain, this game still is really an amazing game. It must'veI watched Pewdiepie's playthrough of this game since I don't own a PS3. Damn, this is seriously one of the better character/story driven games out there. It's a bit slow in the beginning and if you want a comparison, I'd say The Walking Dead (for the PC) compare to this quite well. While I did like The Walking Dead more than Heavy Rain, this game still is really an amazing game. It must've taken a lot of time to make since there are so many possible outcomes for every scene. (There are like 17 endings! That's right, 17!!) Expand
  58. Sep 3, 2013
    The only con I could find with a magnifying glass would be some visual glitches, and that happened maybe three times the entire game, the game is that perfect. At first I wasn't sure what to think of it since it was moving along so slowly, but man it blew my mind. The characters are so finely tuned and well executed and voice acted. The story is terrifying and intense. The visuals areThe only con I could find with a magnifying glass would be some visual glitches, and that happened maybe three times the entire game, the game is that perfect. At first I wasn't sure what to think of it since it was moving along so slowly, but man it blew my mind. The characters are so finely tuned and well executed and voice acted. The story is terrifying and intense. The visuals are fantastic there's really nothing negative to say about this game, it's still just as revolutionary over 3 years after its release, PLAY THIS GAME. Expand
  59. Aug 30, 2013
    Wow, what should I say? First, this game is unique. It´s like playing a thriller movie where your choices really change the ending. Second, amazing graphics (all in my home where surprised with how real it looked), great story and not so predictable as a few users said. And third, I really enjoy this kind of games, but I get that It´s not for everybody. Sometimes the pacing is slow and theWow, what should I say? First, this game is unique. It´s like playing a thriller movie where your choices really change the ending. Second, amazing graphics (all in my home where surprised with how real it looked), great story and not so predictable as a few users said. And third, I really enjoy this kind of games, but I get that It´s not for everybody. Sometimes the pacing is slow and the atmosphere depressing, but took me a few days to complete it and was worth all the time. Rare, interesting and one of a kind. Expand
  60. Aug 24, 2013
    Heavy Rain is an interesting game, I played this game because a friend lent me the game, and the time I spent with him was enough to know that Quantic Dreams is one of the strengths of Sony and Playstation 3. The story is engaging and surprising, took control of four characters as we trying to find out who the origami killer is. It's an unexpected story and depending on how we play theHeavy Rain is an interesting game, I played this game because a friend lent me the game, and the time I spent with him was enough to know that Quantic Dreams is one of the strengths of Sony and Playstation 3. The story is engaging and surprising, took control of four characters as we trying to find out who the origami killer is. It's an unexpected story and depending on how we play the game has a different outcome. It's a game that deserves to be played for anyone who has a PS3. It's a game that deserves to be played, before being released the next game from Quantic Dreams, "Beyond: Two Souls." Expand
  61. Aug 24, 2013
  62. Aug 23, 2013
    This is similar the Virtue's Last Reward in how it technically isn't a game. I understand people not liking cutscenes, but please, this is a mature game, not an all out action Capitalist 'GO AMERICA' FPS. The story is very well written, and the multiple choices/ ending are fun to earn. There are 4 main character, and all are fairly interesting (Madison was maybe kind of generic). TheThis is similar the Virtue's Last Reward in how it technically isn't a game. I understand people not liking cutscenes, but please, this is a mature game, not an all out action Capitalist 'GO AMERICA' FPS. The story is very well written, and the multiple choices/ ending are fun to earn. There are 4 main character, and all are fairly interesting (Madison was maybe kind of generic). The graphic are great, but sometimes the animation can be a bit off (Awkward love scene anyone?).
    The gameplay is a bit of walking around, but mostly QTEs, which some people will not like.
    This game is one of the best games on Playstation, and if you're into a good story, it's a must buy.
  63. Aug 5, 2013
    A masterpiece. Storytelling in a way that is rarely seen and experienced. Great presentation and gameplay that really sucks you into the game. But the true star here is the story extremely well done. They should really make a movie out this game.
  64. Jul 28, 2013
    Schönes Adventure, technisch sauber Umgesetzt mit interessanter Story. Für Leute die offen für neues sind und auch mal mehr einen interaktiven Film als ein Spiel genießen können defintiv Spielenswert.
  65. Jul 25, 2013
    My friend told me that a FPS or a TPS game is going to come out. let me guess the summary of a game. Get to cover, move out and kill the bad guys again, again and again. Yes, this game is more like a interactive movie than a video game. But the story and the graphics are awesome. If you want a real and a different experience you should check this game out.
  66. Jul 24, 2013
    This "game" is a little hard to review since it is not really a game in the traditional sense. It's focus lies in the "narrative"with a thin veneer of game play which consists mostly out of your run of the mill QTE's (quick time events) during cut scenes and some basic, albeit unrefined and clunky, click and point ish exploration elements. you like it, or you hate it simple as that. (iThis "game" is a little hard to review since it is not really a game in the traditional sense. It's focus lies in the "narrative"with a thin veneer of game play which consists mostly out of your run of the mill QTE's (quick time events) during cut scenes and some basic, albeit unrefined and clunky, click and point ish exploration elements. you like it, or you hate it simple as that. (i think it takes away from my gaming experience, but i can see how some find it ads to the experience.) As such, i will mostly focus my review on that, the narrative. Simply put, it is bad. Very bad even. Plot holes are so big you can fit a small moon in and the cliche ridden, horrendous 2 dimensional Mary Sue characters and a "plot twist" so stupid it insults any logical thinking human being are just a few of the problems you will encounter. It tries hard to be Se7en, but look a little past the impressive soundtrack and graphics, and what you are left with is a parody on the level of The Naked Gun. The "Acting" is downright comedy at times, and you kinda feel bad because sometimes you end up laughing at a scene which was supposed to be deep and emotionally involving, but because of the complete amateurish incompetence of the writing it end up being hilarious. After having read some of the praising "reviews" on this site i cant help but feel a little ashamed of being a gamer. You see, in my opinion, the writer is a bit like a cheat. Had this indeed been a movie script, it would have been mocked at every film festival and ripped apart by every movie critic in existence, yet in the gaming world this is rated as "superb writing", "setting new standards" etc by the critics. This effectively implies gaming is the special Olympics when it comes to telling stories. Where you can get away as an able-bodied mediocre athlete, winning gold against people with disabilities and get a slap on the shoulder for doing so. (note: nothing wrong with the Special Olympics btw, nothing but respect for the athletes competing there) I find that insulting to be honest. I give it 3/10. Would give it a solid zero, but the soundtrack and graphics design are beautiful and i tip my hat and at least want to give points to the people who created that. Shame their work is thrown into this pretentious and contrived mess. Expand
  67. Jul 23, 2013
    One of the best games of ps3 and the gameplay is unique and not just QTE and the story keeps getting better and the camera view is rare in game now and the fact that the storyline changes with every thing you do is fantastic
  68. Jul 22, 2013
    Heavy Rain is in short, a dramatic mystery investigation movie. However, in this movie you get to interact with the objects and people around you. You play as four very different characters an FBI agent on the case of the origami killer, a Privet investigator who has been on the case for years now, a depressed father who has enough on his plate already, and a journalist. At first you haveHeavy Rain is in short, a dramatic mystery investigation movie. However, in this movie you get to interact with the objects and people around you. You play as four very different characters an FBI agent on the case of the origami killer, a Privet investigator who has been on the case for years now, a depressed father who has enough on his plate already, and a journalist. At first you have no idea how they are connected, if at all. As you delve deeper into the plot you uncover clues and leads and you get to make your own opinions. With these opinions you can make actions, and every action no matter how small plays a part on the outcome. Speaking of outcomes there are over 20 different endings to the game. The story is perplexing and riveting giving this game a 10/10! Wait a minute... Didn't I score this a 9/10? The reason behind this is simply because of how clunky the controls are I went through the entire game many many hours of game play. Still after all those hours there are points in the game where I can not walk in the direction I please. The camera angles switching 180 degrees only ads to my confusion. Although, all in all this is a must have game for the play station owner and I feel as though it is one of the best games of this generation. You know a game really strikes you when your emotions start to influence the decisions you make in the game. I caught myself yelling at my screen full of nothing but prescript-ed animations. I was not yelling at another player on Battlefield 3 for killing me with the modded M26 Dart I was yelling because the story had sucked me into the game. That is when you know it is good. Expand
  69. Jul 22, 2013
    Sorry for English, i am Russian. This is a game? Or Movie? I do not think that is a good game. Do not watch this movie. Do not buy PlayStation 3. PS3 Has no games.
  70. Jul 10, 2013
    I've never played any game like this before all the interesting idea's and ways to do things is amazing.It was very hard for me i'm more into xbox360 but I got a ps3 for this game and last of us it was a good thing I did.Almost flawless game.
  71. Jul 3, 2013
    How much you enjoy this game will largely depend on what you value when gaming. Gameplay: 6, Story: 8, Immersion Experience: 10. Yes, the controls are sometimes lacking, and it's not a game in the traditional sense. Yes, the story can be a little far fetched (like every other story in the "serial killer" genre) with mixed quality of acting range. The experience, however, is superb. TheHow much you enjoy this game will largely depend on what you value when gaming. Gameplay: 6, Story: 8, Immersion Experience: 10. Yes, the controls are sometimes lacking, and it's not a game in the traditional sense. Yes, the story can be a little far fetched (like every other story in the "serial killer" genre) with mixed quality of acting range. The experience, however, is superb. The world really sucked me in with its detailed environments and choices that ACTUALLY MATTER; this is the 1st game I have played when I can actually say that. Characters live or die by the actions you take. And there are many possible endings, adding replay value. If you know what you like as a gamer, then the choice should be easy. It's a fantastic experience, and it challenges what one may think a game can be. Expand
  72. Jul 1, 2013
    Heavy Rain was a game that I really enjoyed, I loved the characters and the story, I just couldn't find a fault. When it was over however, I thought back on the whole thing. I realised that the game is heavily flawed in places it shouldn't be. It has huge plot holes and the twist isn't great either. Voice acting is also very inconsistent in quality. These are two things that shouldn'tHeavy Rain was a game that I really enjoyed, I loved the characters and the story, I just couldn't find a fault. When it was over however, I thought back on the whole thing. I realised that the game is heavily flawed in places it shouldn't be. It has huge plot holes and the twist isn't great either. Voice acting is also very inconsistent in quality. These are two things that shouldn't happen in a game like Heavy Rain. However the story is very good until it comes close to the end, then things just go silly. The character models and facial animations are superb and very well done. I actually enjoyed the gameplay style Heavy Rain has, the quicktime event fights are intense, especially the life or death ones when you're so attached to the characters. I would have given Heavy Rain a 6 or 7 if it wasn't for how much I loved it whilst I was playing it, It has great ideas and is certainly innovative, but it's also utterly flawed. I hope David Cage gets his together for Beyond Two Souls and fixes the problems that Heavy Rain has, if he does, or whenever he does, it'll make for a damn fine game. Expand
  73. Jul 1, 2013
    Great game, amazing storytelling, intriguing, interesting, captivating. A different subgenre of video games... more like interactive movies? It needs to be experienced to be understood.
  74. Jun 30, 2013
    I loved this game!...If you're looking for a game with originality than this game is for you. I love the QTE it makes you think fast and make tough decisions. If you want a game that is story oriented and gives you an emotional high this is that game. I had so much fun playing this game and it had a lot of memorable moments. Most people who don't like these kind of games are usualllyI loved this game!...If you're looking for a game with originality than this game is for you. I love the QTE it makes you think fast and make tough decisions. If you want a game that is story oriented and gives you an emotional high this is that game. I had so much fun playing this game and it had a lot of memorable moments. Most people who don't like these kind of games are usuallly hardcore FPS fans who don't have the patience to play through a depth story driven game. Anyone that doesn't at least appreciate this game doesn't have much taste for a new and different genre. Heavy Rain is a fantastic game that everyone should give a chance. You would be missing out if you did. Expand
  75. Jun 30, 2013
    Bad game. The plot is full of holes. The so called "twist" makes no sense at all see why in JamesS. comprehensive comment, posted March 3th, 2010). The controls are terrible because sometimes you don't have to do anything for a certain action, which is boring. Moments later, you do have to press a button for that same action which is not boring but then again, later, you have to pressBad game. The plot is full of holes. The so called "twist" makes no sense at all see why in JamesS. comprehensive comment, posted March 3th, 2010). The controls are terrible because sometimes you don't have to do anything for a certain action, which is boring. Moments later, you do have to press a button for that same action which is not boring but then again, later, you have to press another button (or combination) for the same action! To make it totally insane, at one point in the game, you have to hold down 7 (seven!) buttons at the same time for this action. Annoying to say the least. There are more bad control issues, just take a few minutes to read other negative comments. All together, there are many flaws in this game but for me, as said, the bad unpredictable and inconsistent controls and the "twist" which is totally unconvincing, makes this a very disappointing game. Expand
  76. Jun 9, 2013
    Like film noir of the Chinatown kind? Twists akin to Se7en? Heavy Rain is likely to be the best cinematic experience ever with a memorable storyline of the highest caliber, fascinating characters who're understandable as real, functional humans and interactive gameplay with choices of a perfect variety. Heavy Rain perfects these elements to establish a seriously animated investigation intoLike film noir of the Chinatown kind? Twists akin to Se7en? Heavy Rain is likely to be the best cinematic experience ever with a memorable storyline of the highest caliber, fascinating characters who're understandable as real, functional humans and interactive gameplay with choices of a perfect variety. Heavy Rain perfects these elements to establish a seriously animated investigation into a serial killing and the characters involved with it. Expand
  77. May 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rented this game thinking it was going to be terrible, but the story is so damn good, the fight/ interaction scenes were tense and fun. I also had a rare funny ending, at the end when they are fighting on top of the warehouse, whenever I pressed x I could hear the father yelling shaun from inside, it made the game even sweeter. Expand
  78. May 22, 2013
    I'm one of the few people who don't mind quick time events. Yeah, if you hate them, avoid this game. However, if you're looking for a very engaging storyline with multiple endings, Heavy Rain has it. It was essentially like playing an awesome Rated R crime/thriller movie.
  79. May 3, 2013
    This game is incredible. The story is amazing with incredible character with a lot of personality. The environment in this game is just awesome, the graphics are very good just like the art design. The voice acting is pretty good. The game play is innovate and yes is all "quick time events" but what's the problem? it's a type of gaming so I don't see the big deal on it, it's actuallyThis game is incredible. The story is amazing with incredible character with a lot of personality. The environment in this game is just awesome, the graphics are very good just like the art design. The voice acting is pretty good. The game play is innovate and yes is all "quick time events" but what's the problem? it's a type of gaming so I don't see the big deal on it, it's actually pretty good and fun. Also I love how all your actions, may change the story, it makes you think twice in your decision's and actually makes you want to know, what it will be the ending. Expand
  80. Apr 25, 2013
    Not just 'Quick Time Event The Game'. I have not seen another game that matches the variety of story choices. This is one of the few games which allows the player to mold there own unique gaming experience.
  81. Apr 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most awesome game I've played after god of war.
    I couldn't believe that one of the charectors would be the killer.
    It's really amazing and I'm going to keep playing until I see all endings.
  82. Apr 2, 2013
    Mehr ein interaktiver Film als ein Spiel. Hat verschiedene Möglichkeiten ein Problem zu lösen. Je nach dem wie man spielt verändert sich die Storyline. Bleibt bis zum Ende spannend, wobei das Ende an sich das Gesamtbild zu einer zwar guten, aber keiner grandiosen Story prägt.
    Nicht desto Trotz ist Heavy Rain ein sehr gutes und unterhaltsames Spiel das einfach anders ist als die anderen. Definitiv Spielenswert.
  83. Mar 31, 2013
    There are some technical issues (screen tearing and minor bugs), but the game is a masterpiece...It was like watching a very good movie that lasted for many hours.
  84. Mar 31, 2013
    Being a story driven game, the story has many plotholes. The gameplay is worse. Heavy Rain should have been a film and even than it would not have succeded because of the unlogical story. Graphics nice though.
  85. Mar 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Holy This game is one of the most climatic and emotionally-driven stories of the videogame medium. The attention to detail, the character's reactions, the situations are all astoundly well-put together. By utilising quick-time events to its advantage it makes the game severely intensified. You actually connect and care for these characters, you want them to succeed. This game makes the player pay attention to the game world, it makes you invested into the game, with one wrong or right move continuing the story in a certain direction. Replayability is a major factor aswell, just to see the contrast between endings or what certain choices amount to. Or though I'd recommend putting it on the hardest difficulty, otherwise it's just too easy. Yes, there is a few inconsistencies within the plot; like that stupid sex scene which was just out-of place and unnecessary to the story. I felt they should have elaborated more on that drug killer Ethan killed and what the police did about it. Overall, it's a good game. Thoroughly recommended! Expand
  86. Mar 21, 2013
    There are few games that can be as thrilling and emotional as Heavy Rain. Going into this game, I had low expectations, mainly because I hadn't heard much about it, good or bad, so I thought it really wouldn't be worth my time. Boy, was I wrong! After finishing the game, my emotions were coming out of me in bizarre ways. Never had a game touched me like Heavy Rain had. The storyline is oneThere are few games that can be as thrilling and emotional as Heavy Rain. Going into this game, I had low expectations, mainly because I hadn't heard much about it, good or bad, so I thought it really wouldn't be worth my time. Boy, was I wrong! After finishing the game, my emotions were coming out of me in bizarre ways. Never had a game touched me like Heavy Rain had. The storyline is one of the best I have ever seen. The voice acting was top-notch and made the characters that much more realistic and lovable. The graphics aren't the best, but that shouldn't stop you from playing. And once you get past the somewhat difficult and unusual controls, there's no stopping you from playing this game from start to finish. Expand
  87. Mar 18, 2013
    Sure the movements of the characters are irritating at times and the voice acting is not the best in the world, but all that is forgotten when you play the game and come to realise what a truely awesome experience it is. Since when has dying or coming short in a game make you more anxious to play further and see how the rest of the story unfolds?! Not often, and that is how I felt when ISure the movements of the characters are irritating at times and the voice acting is not the best in the world, but all that is forgotten when you play the game and come to realise what a truely awesome experience it is. Since when has dying or coming short in a game make you more anxious to play further and see how the rest of the story unfolds?! Not often, and that is how I felt when I played Heavy Rain! Love the game! Can play it over and over again... Expand
  88. Mar 17, 2013
    My gut wants to give this game a 10, but it is definitely not perfect. The voice acting is weird at times, the controls are frustrating at other times, and there are some weird things in the plot. That said, no game has ever made me so invested in the characters and the story. I couldn't put it down. I played through the whole game in 8 or 9 hours in one sitting (it was the weekend so IMy gut wants to give this game a 10, but it is definitely not perfect. The voice acting is weird at times, the controls are frustrating at other times, and there are some weird things in the plot. That said, no game has ever made me so invested in the characters and the story. I couldn't put it down. I played through the whole game in 8 or 9 hours in one sitting (it was the weekend so I could do that). This is possibly another bad thing about the game it's rather short. It has multiple endings, but you may not want to play another 8-9 hours to see them. I've watched several Let's Play sessions of this game. I love it though, and you can usually find it for like $20 these days. Nobody with a PS3 should miss out on this one in my opinion. Expand
  89. Mar 11, 2013
    This reminded me of Silent Hill in the way that you get so sucked into the story that none of the flaws seem to matter. This game is so beautiful and atmospheric, and VERY dark cause you get to see all of the main characters at their worst. All of the button-pressing sequences are rather exhilarating since your life is always at risk. My favorite thing about this game is that if oneThis reminded me of Silent Hill in the way that you get so sucked into the story that none of the flaws seem to matter. This game is so beautiful and atmospheric, and VERY dark cause you get to see all of the main characters at their worst. All of the button-pressing sequences are rather exhilarating since your life is always at risk. My favorite thing about this game is that if one character dies, the story just keeps on going. I've never played any game like this, and for that it is a true classic. Expand
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    Heavy Rain is more of an interactive movie, similar to Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, rather than an actual video game, but a damn good one at that. The story is clever, well told, and controllable by your actions, however, the actual gameplay of Heavy Rain, unfortunately, takes a backseat to the story, and it can be hard to control because of that. However, if you are willing to forgive theHeavy Rain is more of an interactive movie, similar to Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, rather than an actual video game, but a damn good one at that. The story is clever, well told, and controllable by your actions, however, the actual gameplay of Heavy Rain, unfortunately, takes a backseat to the story, and it can be hard to control because of that. However, if you are willing to forgive the sluggish controls and the lack of replayability, there is a great experience to be had here. Expand
  91. Feb 27, 2013
    This is a good game, but it somehow lacks a little in each category. The controls are interesting, but confusing at times. The characters are well acted, but at the same time aren't. The plot is okay, but very confusing. Anybody who says this is a bad game is crazy, but it isn't the best game ever made.
  92. Feb 21, 2013
    My favorite and most beloved PS3 game, I will never forget how it make me fell when I played, back to back, 6 times.
    It is a powerful and unforgettable experience that stays with you months after playing, this game is the LOUIS C.K. of video games: sincere, original and creative.
    If you like intelligent and mysterious games, PLAY IT.
  93. Feb 19, 2013
    "Heavy Rain" is either going to be a game that you are going to love or hate. In this review, I am going to tell you why I loved this game.

Here's the basic run-down of the plot (which is very important, as the game is very story-driven): We start the game off with Ethan Mars, a normal everyman who is happily married with two children. However, his life takes a tragic turn after one

We start the game off with Ethan Mars, a normal everyman who is happily married with two children. However, his life takes a tragic turn after one of his sons, Jason, is killed by an oncoming car. Ethan, who was also hit by the car while trying to save Jason's life, falls into a coma and, upon awaking, his life is in shambles. He now suffers from numerous psychological problems (schizophrenia, agoraphobia and blackouts) and is also estranged from his wife and has fallen out of favor with his other son, Shaun. Soon, things get worse, as Shaun is kidnapped by the infamous Origami Killer, who drowns his victims in rainwater and dumps the bodies (who are left with an origami figure) out in open wastelands for the world to see.

We are soon introduced to 3 other playable characters, who all have certain problems they are facing and who all have their own motives for tracking down the Origami Killer:

Scott Shelby is a former cop turned private eye, who suffers from chronic asthma.
    Norman Jayden is an FBI profiler who has an experimental pair of glasses (ARI) that allow him to investigate crime scenes and efficiently analyze evidence. He suffers from a dangerous drug addiction that is believed to be used to combat effect from using ARI.
    Madison Paige is a journalist who is conducting an investigation into the Origami Killer case. She struggles with insomnia and nightmares (which she attempts to remedy by sleeping in motels).

Per his modus operandi, the Origami Killer sends the father of his recent kidnapping victim (which, here, is Ethan) a box with 5 origami figures, a cell phone and a gun. The cell phone features a hangman puzzle which, when completed, reveals the address of where Ethan's son is located. The 5 origami figures give Ethan the location of certain trials which he must complete in order to get letters to the hangman puzzle. The trials are very rigorous tests of faith that get harder and harder as they go.

While this happens, the other 3 main characters conduct their own investigations into the Origami Killer case. All manage to meet a bunch of seemingly normal, yet psychotic people who will do their best to impede the characters' progress.

It's a bit of a mouthful, but the game is very story-based, so it definitely needs to be known. It's a very interesting story that will draw you in more and more as it goes on.

Anyway, the gameplay is about 45% quick-time events, 45% decision-making and 10% investigating. The investigating is a little bit of a chore, but it's VERY important for Jayden's actions, especially when he is trying to figure out who the killer is.

Where the game is made is in the decision-making and quick-time event aspects. Every little thing you do can change the way the game plays out. If you fail enough quick-time events, you could end up having a character killed off (one that could end up breaking the case). If you don't make the right decisions, it could have dire consequences. One prominent way to make a wrong decision is to not complete one of Ethan's trials. If you decide to not attempt the trial, you may end up not finding out the address of the killer. And believe me, it is VERY easy to get tempted not to do some of the trials. On my first playthrough, I got to the 4th trial and realized I just couldn't bring myself to complete the trial after a revelation was made (I don't want to spoil it). This game just really had me thinking what I would do in the situation given, and I just couldn't go through with it. I saw myself in Ethan and wanted him to do the "right" thing, but it ended up in him not completing the trial and, therefore, not getting the letters to the puzzle. The 5th one was much in the same.

This game has an uncanny ability to make many people, especially me, think about what they would do in a given situation. It tries to make you think on your feet and make your own decisions to shape how the story goes based on the decisions and reactions you make. It's an interactive movie, as the makers of the game explained it. You start to feel a connection to the characters, because they are ordinary people with everyday problems placed in extraordinary circumstances. The epilogues especially hit you hard because YOU had a direct influence on how the story ended up. When someone does something good, you rejoice because it was your decision-making that influenced it. When someone dies, you feel guilty because it was of your inability to help the person.

All in all, this game just drew me in and didn't let go. There is a ton of re-playability, as well, as there are 22 different individual endings. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in an empathetic and captivating experience.
  94. Feb 8, 2013
    EXACTLY the type of game I'm searching for. 10/10. Nohing to say. I like interactive movies. Makes me think of my other favorite game of all time: Phantasmagoria by Roberta Williams for Sierra in 1995.
  95. Feb 8, 2013
    If you take the game for what it is, an "Interactive Movie" then you will find this to be an awesome experience. The experience is unprecedented because you have an overall plot and continuously moving story like a movie, but a more detailed story and ability to influence events and endings Allowing you to play increases tension and the overall mood and atmosphere. The writing,If you take the game for what it is, an "Interactive Movie" then you will find this to be an awesome experience. The experience is unprecedented because you have an overall plot and continuously moving story like a movie, but a more detailed story and ability to influence events and endings Allowing you to play increases tension and the overall mood and atmosphere. The writing, characters, and the themes, etc. are all memorable. Definitely worth a try for PS3 fans. It definitely seems a love it or hate it type of game. Expand
  96. Feb 2, 2013
    This is one of the games together with the metal gear series with the highest replayability, I finished heavy rain dozens of times just to see how different choices change the story and how losing certain characters will affect it.
    I can't tell how much I loved this game, absolutely brilliant in every way.
    I can't tell how much I loved this game, absolutely brilliant in every way.
    Even tough people say quick time events are bad in most games, it isn't in heavy rain, everything works very well and it feels very intense with the action going on.
    This game is for anyone who loves a good story for a change of all the mindless action games.

If you loved this game, you certainly want to keep an eye out for beyond two souls.
    The next game of quantic dream.
  97. Jan 22, 2013
    This game is absolutely mind blowing!!! Never played a game that let you control the ending result. I must say that this game is the best that I have ever played! This game pulls you into the drama, you consistently will think about it towards the middle. Feels like you are in a movie no joke. I highly recommend this game to gamers. VERY GOOD GAME!!
  98. Jan 13, 2013
    Heavy Rain is a special game with a great story that can easily go to the movie industry. The storyline is great and the plot sucks you right into it. And if you are a parent like me it hits you right in the gut. Having said that you would think i should have rated it higher. If it was just for the story it would easily reach a 9. Why doesn't it then? The control system is not the best andHeavy Rain is a special game with a great story that can easily go to the movie industry. The storyline is great and the plot sucks you right into it. And if you are a parent like me it hits you right in the gut. Having said that you would think i should have rated it higher. If it was just for the story it would easily reach a 9. Why doesn't it then? The control system is not the best and the camera view is deficient. Hope that Quantic Dream has this right in their next installment. Despite this it's a must play. Oh and this is not a kid's game. Adults only. Expand
  99. Dec 29, 2012
    Acceptable story (Nothing that stands out), terrible gameplay. In fact, there's no reason to be so many plot holes and inconsistencies in such a plot-driven game. Being forced to play this game should be a new form of torture.
  100. Dec 28, 2012
    This is always the game I cite when people say consequence and branching storylines aren't possible to the extent people demand it. Perhaps it is because Heavy Rain set the bar so high in that area that makes it so influential and amazing. The game is also addicting and thrilling, and the organic, no game over design makes everything more intense. The aesthetics, especially the score, helpThis is always the game I cite when people say consequence and branching storylines aren't possible to the extent people demand it. Perhaps it is because Heavy Rain set the bar so high in that area that makes it so influential and amazing. The game is also addicting and thrilling, and the organic, no game over design makes everything more intense. The aesthetics, especially the score, help to make a depressing mood that makes it a wonderful experience. The illusion of choice, it turns out, isn't an illusion in this game. Expand

1. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you'll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you'll be bursting to talk about with your friends. [Feb 2010]
  2. For many people Heavy Rain won’t be more than a progression of quick-time-events, but for me this game has everything a great game needs. The thrilling story, the beautiful graphics and the innovative controls will let you play on and on, till you just can’t look any longer into your TV.
  3. We're enjoying it immensely... It is a game like none other. [Mar 2010, p.66]