8.2

1. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is great. It's 80's themed style and music go perfectly with it's over-the-top bloody violence. I have been playing for weeks and am incredibly addicted. I highly recommend this game. It is definitely difficult, but that's what makes it so special. It holds a special place in my heart.
  2. Jul 8, 2013
    Such a unique and interesting game. It finally arrived on PSN in all it's neon glory and I could not be happier. If you have the cash, check out Hotline Miami especially because a sequel is on the way.
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    Hotline Miami is a fantastic game. It's unique gameplay is addicting, and it's story is compelling and clever, which made me never want to stop playing. The art design of the game is really great, and the level design is fantastic in every level. It's soundtrack is nothing short of great either. My only big problem with the game were the boss fights, they were sometimes really frustrating.
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    A truly fantastic game. I can't imagine it's for everyone, with its over the top gore and retro aesthetic/game play, but if you're up for that, then give this game a go. It features one of the best soundtracks in gaming history with tracks from Perturbator, M O O N and Sun Araw, giving it an excellent 80s vibe as you explore and shoot/slice/clobber through the mysterious world of Hotline Miami.
    The story; while not entirely apparent, seems to purposely keep players in the dark to elude to some sort of enigma that keeps the entire game shrouded in suspense. This works as a great motivator to beat Hotline Miami even if you don't care for getting high combos and scores. There aren't many games like Hotline Miami so full of interactivity yet also with such a fast pace; want to use the shotgun a guy just dropped after you smashed his head in, or a brick you found on the floor to be lobbed at three thugs in succession? You can.
    I'm not some goreaphile like some folk who obsesses over having ultra detailed blood and guts in their games, but the gore certainly does add some extra dimension to this game. It just fits the overall atmosphere and brutality of it all; thereby only enhancing the experience. If you want something very different yet adrenaline pumping, exciting and full of fast paced and unrelenting action, definitely try Hotline Miami. It's an experience you won't swiftly forget.
  5. Aug 6, 2013
    I created an account to praise this game and to point out what an Idiot Chaeote is. An adolescent could figure out the control scheme. That being said, Hotline Miami is a very special game. When you massacre your way through a level, it makes you feel like a badass. This masterpiece proves that gameplay and story has the ability to carry the gamer from front to back. Don't get me wrong, the retro style graphics were a lot of fun. I have played through this game several times and keep coming back. I'm not the type to replay a game once I get to the end, even if there are multiple incentives, but Hotline Miami brings me back weekly. Get this game. Expand
  6. Aug 12, 2013
    Cool game! Worth the 10$ this game is pretty hard but its cool to me a game that's so retro is this fun. Story is pretty corny but no matter this game is about strategy and not dying!! Well worth the measly 500 mb on your hard drive and the PS3 version includes the Vita version which is cool. Oh yeah and the music is pretty sick and fits the vibe very well. If you like to play small games between your big games this is definetely for you. Expand
  7. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is worth buying for the soundtrack alone. The fact that the game itself is awesome is merely gravy. The controls take getting used to, but once you are in the zone you will feel like more of a bad ass than any game in a while.
  8. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the most unique games I have ever played. A compelling understory topped with 80's retro and miami vice-inspired setpieces create a truly memorable experience. The great soundtrack combined with digitalized blood and guns make it one of the best games of the year
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game. Oh, God, this game. I have spent hours upon hours playing this game, it is superb and i love it. It may even be my favorite indie game of the year! First, presentation. Hotline Miami is set in 1989, it wanted to look like something you would see in the 90's, and it totally got it right. The flickering and the colour scheme fits the mood so well, and even for a pixely game, it is just beautiful. It's a pretty gory game, which doesn't usually bother me, but this game is just brutal. Every hit you make feels real and consequential, it fits the character so well, you really do get a deep and visceral impact from it. Brilliant. I really did like the way Hotline Miami controlled, it felt rigid, but still fluid and usable. The premise of this game is murder. Cold-hearted murder. Not like what you see in war games, where they kill without remorse, Jacket really feels his actions throughout each level, and so does the player. This game is definitely not for the weak of heart or stomach. The mask theme is genius. Who are you? Why do you do this? What kind of monster lies beneath this mask? A normal man with no other choice. The masks give you different abilities, which you can unlock in the game the more you play. I think that is a great implementation of symbolism. The game gets more and more surreal the further into the story you get, and the more surreal it gets, the more immersive the story is and the more you want to play. You want to know what happens next, what kind of mayhem awaits you on the next floor? This game's story is just amazing. It's dark, terrifying and breathtaking. Every new level gets tougher and darker. Every kill you make has an impact on you, whether it was a shot from a distance, or hands-on murder. This game is brilliant, and i loved every second of it. Amazing. Expand
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    Brilliant music, one of the most screwed up storylines I've ever experienced and fast, frenetic frantically violent gameplay makes for an absolute winner of a game in which you will die... millions of times but still come back for more.
  11. Nov 10, 2013
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    I love this game, at times it can be horrifyingly scary others it can be a fast paced action packed kill fest, but either way you'll still enjoy it. Just don't play it if you get sick at the sight of squished squirrel on the road.
  13. Oct 28, 2013
    Its about time we got an uber-violent top down game. Good lord this game kicks your behind. The soundtrack is so good, and the quick restart when you die makes the challenge worth replaying over and over. The first coupe levels are well balanced and help the user get better at the game. But by chapter eight the difficulty level skyrockets. I still haven't beaten it, but I will at some point. I love indie games but this is the first one I've truly felt compelled to complete and play for hours and hours. Its good to play with friends too. I wish there was a co-op or vs. multiplayer. Can you image a 3v3 version of this game? That would go hard. I think this is free on PS Plus right now. Gain it. 10/10 Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2013
    Hotline Miami is brutal, hard and beautiful. It has an astounding soundtrack and an amazing story. But, despite all those qualities, the game is not perfect
  15. Jun 21, 2014
    Utterly fantastic and thoroughly twisted, addictive and gratuitous. I just load it up and have a blast, you don't have to think, just zone out play. It is hard and the controls aren't ideal, but as far as k!ck a$$ fun this is as good as it gets. 9/10

1. The ultra-violent indie hit Hotline Miami has found its way unto our PlayStation 3 an Vita and it is a drug infused combination between GTA, Metal Gear, neon lights and animal masks. Yes, you should play this. [September p.91]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Hotline Miami is ludological entertainment at its finest. It is a game about grinding levels and that practice makes perfect. It is also a game about exploring new narratives and discussing the video game worlds fascination with violence and gore. A must play.
  3. Sep 1, 2013