Hunted: The Demon's Forge PlayStation 3

6.2

1. Jun 1, 2011
    So I picked this game up on launch day. I played the single player and I was somewhat amused. I played co-op with a friend split-screen and I was about ready to quit on the game. But then I played it online and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The problem with split-screen is that it makes the screens too damn small which, I know, the screen is going to be split in half but there are also twoSo I picked this game up on launch day. I played the single player and I was somewhat amused. I played co-op with a friend split-screen and I was about ready to quit on the game. But then I played it online and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The problem with split-screen is that it makes the screens too damn small which, I know, the screen is going to be split in half but there are also two large pervasive black bars that suddenly exist on the sides of the screen as well. The online co-op is so much better simply due to having the full screen to yourself. I found the game not only easier in online co-op but fare more enjoyable. As a single player experience it is very ho-hum. It's a standard hack 'n' slash with a peppering of RPG elements in the magic and skill system but that's as far as it goes. The AI is dumb when it comes to path finding as I found they zig zagged around the map constantly. At first I thought it was because I was playing as the archer to challenge my aim but they continue to zig zag and run slower than snails even when you play the warrior and it makes no sense. The graphics are weak but I don't really care, I'm not the type to really focus on them too much, they don't make the game.
    The online can be really buggy, however, which bogs down an otherwise enjoyable experience. On three occasions my character fell through the map prompting my friend and I to restart from checkpoint, which was usually about ten minutes back. Not a long time, no, but it's really irritating when you didn't die or weren't fighting an enemy, you lose ten minutes to bad coding. It's also easy to wind up stuck between rocks and walls in the heat of battle as well. I never experienced these problems offline so I'm hoping they will be patched.
    Now, for all the complaining I've done, why did I give this a 7? Well, for all it's faults I do have fun when I play it. It's a simple game that doesn't demand a lot from the player and there is nothing wrong with that from time to time. I'm not going to say it's game of the year, or a masterpiece, or something that transcends the limitations of video games but in order to be a good game you don't need to do that, you merely need to be fun. It has it's flaws, as does every game, and I feel like it needs an honest review considering the devs seem to be writing their own and others seem to be bombing it in retaliation. The 7 is merely a number I think it deserves, it's not magic or perfect but I had fun and that's all I wanted. If you think you can't look past the problems I mentioned then it obviously isn't for you but if you're willing to give it a little patience you might just have fun with it too. I would say it's at least worth a rent if you're skeptical or on the fence, avoid it like the plague if you want something that looks beautiful and is perfectly coded, and buy it (new or used) if you have a friend you like to play simple mindless hacking games with. It's not amazing, but it's not really horrible either.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    I would like to start by saying that this game is NOT an RPG at least in the sense that most people equate to RPGs, it is an action game more along the lines of Dark Kingdom, Conan and Viking the Battle for Asgard (older PS3 titles). Yes there are a few minor upgrades (new weapons a handful of magic) but that's about it. If you are expecting a leveling system with stats, tons of equipmentI would like to start by saying that this game is NOT an RPG at least in the sense that most people equate to RPGs, it is an action game more along the lines of Dark Kingdom, Conan and Viking the Battle for Asgard (older PS3 titles). Yes there are a few minor upgrades (new weapons a handful of magic) but that's about it. If you are expecting a leveling system with stats, tons of equipment and skill trees you will be disappointed. That said if you approach it as it is, a hack & shoot action game I think you could find yourself really enjoying the game. The graphics are a bit dated and could be better as many others have pointed out but they are okay. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions (kinda reminds me of army of two in that respect with the back and forth banter). The storyline is fairly standard fantasy fare nothing remarkable or terrible. The main reason I got his game was online co-op (and having a local split screen option is nice as well), this to me is it's main selling point and in that respect it does quite well. Once you figure out the style of play the game progresses quite nicely. My main gripes about the game are that the multiplayer interface isn't immediately intuitive and there is nothing on this in the slim manual and that there seems to be some audio issues, both in game sounds/music (clipping) and online chat. Hopefully both of those can be sorted out with a patch. All in all a fun game especially with a friend if you play it for what it is. Expand
  3. May 31, 2011
    Is it 1999 again? Looking at this games graphics you might think so. Apart from that its hack and slash with two protagonists who are afraid of bugs and heights respectively.
  4. Jun 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The day this game came out, I had a little bit of sympathy, as there were barely any reviews for the game. So I decided to give this game a try, hoping that because it was a Bethesda game, it would be a hit or a miss game. The result? In the middle really. When the person behind the desk told me a bit about the game, he told me it was a little bit like Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. And he was right: It is a â Expand
  5. Oct 5, 2011
    A very, very, VERY average game. The concept is great, sure: a "medieval Gears of War". But it sounds much better as a concept. As an actual game, the experience is kind of broken, the graphics are nothing to write home about and I never had a great time with it. I had some fun, sure, but I could live without it. Good. Not great.
  6. Jun 23, 2011
    First off, I'd like anyone reading this reviews to know this is a decent game. If you like a good hack and slash with lite rpg elements and fantastic co-op play give it a chance. To everyone who bags on it for having a bit dated graphics I feel no sympathy for not every game is going to have amazing graphics and if you put graphics ahead of gameplay you are shallow but hey your loss. ToFirst off, I'd like anyone reading this reviews to know this is a decent game. If you like a good hack and slash with lite rpg elements and fantastic co-op play give it a chance. To everyone who bags on it for having a bit dated graphics I feel no sympathy for not every game is going to have amazing graphics and if you put graphics ahead of gameplay you are shallow but hey your loss. To anyone who expected one thing and got another you are an idiot, its like saying I expected a elephant but found a zebra so I hate it. As for the game itself its a hack and slash with a small skill tree system and stat building progression based on kills and finding certain things. Each character plays differently and has abilities that reflect their play style. E'lara is the ranged fighter of the pair, and uses a bow to snipe enemies via third-person mode similar to something like Gears of War. Caddoc is the "tank" of the pair and uses a sword and board to dispatch his foes, and also I might add makes a handy decoy. The games story line is pretty cut and dry, their is bad guys doing bad stuff and your getting paid to put them in their place. My only real complaint about the combat system is that the spells are pretty useless and your better off just sticking to your weapons and buy only the weapon based abilities. Ultimately in the end the game could have used a little more polish but overall it makes for a great co-op game if your looking to just mindlessly slash your way through a pretty standard fair hack and slash. This game will never be a big hit, but if you have a weekend to kill and a buddy rent this game or at least wait for a price drop to buy it.â Expand
  7. Jan 17, 2014
    Even with all the major critical attention. I found Hunted the Demons Forge still a fun experience. Alone or in coop. The story remains a cliche however the world the Dev's created is dark fantasy at its finest. I found it exciting and wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants. While the graphics aren't anything special, the unreal engine does a decent job of rendering itEven with all the major critical attention. I found Hunted the Demons Forge still a fun experience. Alone or in coop. The story remains a cliche however the world the Dev's created is dark fantasy at its finest. I found it exciting and wanted to know more about the world and its inhabitants. While the graphics aren't anything special, the unreal engine does a decent job of rendering it all. Good thing there is a large variety of locations to traverse such as, forests, mountains, caves, villages and even a Castle under siege. You play as either the bow wielding elf or jacked up sword cleaver. The shooting mechanics worked well and I found myself using the elf more often but the guy just seems a little clunky. Apart from that gameplay is fun and even has a small upgrade system. Although towards the end of the game it got a bit repetitive. It seems there was a good premise here but just lacked the budget and polish. Its worth defiantly worth a play for a good price. Expand
  8. Dec 1, 2015
    Hunted:The Demon's Forge

Game-Play:The game-play in this game is very simple and repetitive it is so much better when you play co-op with a friend but again there lot of bugs that nobody had ever bother to fix simple RPG elements and mediocre combat system. Story:The story is a little better than the game-play but nothing very interesting.An ok plot with uninteresting characters.
    Hunted:The Demon's Forge

Graphics:The graphics are very mediocre in this game.

Notes:The game becomes very boring if you play alone it is so much better when you play with a friend and that is the reason it does not score lower than 5.A very mediocre game if you want to play it I would suggest renting.
  9. Aug 23, 2011
    I was very sceptical when I rented this game, because of the mixed reviews and average score. However I was not disappointed. Me and my friend were looking for a game with a decent co-op mode and that is exactly where this game delivers. The screen is split horizontally which (after having played Borderlands for ages) took a little getting used to but turned out to work just fine -I was very sceptical when I rented this game, because of the mixed reviews and average score. However I was not disappointed. Me and my friend were looking for a game with a decent co-op mode and that is exactly where this game delivers. The screen is split horizontally which (after having played Borderlands for ages) took a little getting used to but turned out to work just fine - provided you have a screen that is big enough! A large projector screen definitely comes in handy if you have one. While the overall visuals are decent, the visibility (of enemies and other features) is sometimes a little poor due to the intentionally dark and misty atmosphere of the game world.
    The controls are innovative but a little confusing and cannot be customized (apart from axis-inversion).
    The role-playing, looting and leveling aspects of the game should not be overestimated. This is foremost an action-game, although a few special attacks and slightly different weapons add new flavors to the game as it progresses.
    There are no dialog choices and the length of the video sequences is kept at a bearable level.
    Overall, I can recommend this game to anyone who's looking for fantasy hack and slash game with split-screen co-op mode and not too complex character development.

+ good, atmospheric graphics
    + split-screen co-op (all too rare these days!!!)
    + challenging difficulty
    + no major flaws or bugs

- you need a large TV set or projector screen (or really good eyes) to enjoy split-screen mode
    - mediocre rewards (loot)
    - no character choices/customization before the start of the game
    - melee combat can become pretty confusing and hectic due to the third person perspective

my score: 7.5

1. Aug 6, 2011
    If you're not sure on the game, wait for a price drop or two, and a weekend where you and a buddy don't have much to do.
  2. Play UK
    Jul 19, 2011
    Not a terrible game, but it's far from being a brilliant one. [Issue#207, p.87]
  3. Jul 18, 2011
    Unfinished, unpolished, and broken. If not for the online co-op this would be a complete dud. They put in a lot of features that are great in theory but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Have I mentioned that I can't stand the main characters?