8.0

1. Mar 24, 2013
    The Hyperdimension Neptune series is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the best surprises of this gen. Despite harsh criticism from «professionals», it keeps going on and I'm tremendously happy to enjoy this 3rd entry.

The first contact is disappointing though. Graphically speaking, the game is roughly the same as Mk2 3D modeling is sometimes poor and the game still has the bad habit of going below 30 images/sec. on some occasions. Worse, the dungeons look more or less the same! On the other hand, fans will surely be delighted to see the return of 2D animated dialogs, which are waaaaay cuter than the ones in Mk2. Neptune Victory still looks good generally speaking, but Compile Heart has clearly been saving some money on the technical side.

The story is pretty bad. It looks like it was written on a tablecloth between main dish and dessert. The references to the world of gaming are not always clear (7 sages? Edin?) despite good interpretation of the market from the 80's to date. This is hardly a problem, because the scenario is just a convenient way for delivering to most delicious Japanese humor there is. Let me get this straight, Hyperdimension Neptune Victory has been a huge laugh from A to Z! Pururuto, a new central character, is especially funny she's naive, lazy in her human form and talks slooooooooowly. While in goddess form though, she... well I'll let you find you by yourself. Let's stress that this newest episode has a LOT of (very long) dialogs. It therefore mainly addresses than fans of the genre, because the level of moe can be lethal for others.

It's on about gameplay that I was the most curious about, because Mk2 was too easy when grinding a bit. Victory fixes this with higher difficulty. Common foes can wipe your party out in a flash if you don't pay attention. Bosses all have auto-heal and can OHKO your characters every turn, so that you actually HAVE to grind. The bad thing is that the boss fights are pretty much one-patterned, that is to say fill your EX jauge, break the enemy's guard and unleash your ougi. To achieve that sequence though, you'll have to fully understand how guard breaks works, because now you have to be VERY precise in the timing. Like in Mk2, you have to be careful where you place your characters. This is even more crucial in the True End path, because the fights become even harder, breaking the repetitiveness because you have to carefully think your way to victory. This is especially for the final boss which demands a long preparation and a solid strategy. The ougi are as impressive as ever, and there are more than ever.

Hyperdimension Neptune Victory has more. I've been working on some trophies after the True End, and the internal clock shows 94h. It is far longer, richer than Mk2. There are a lot more side quests, trophies hunting will take half of your life (I'm only around 50%!), and it has 3 different endings. Victory introduces a «scout» system in which you send the inhabitants of the various towns to search the dungeons. They will discover new dungeons, special bosses, rare items, XP bonuses and such. This is a central feature, very addicting and essential to fully enjoy the game. Item creation also get more interesting and important, whereas I wasn't of much use in Mk2. Sadly, there are fewer character than before 6 during most of the story, 10 if you get to the 10th chapter on the True End path IF and Compa who are optional as a paid DLC).

Despite some disappointing aspects, Hyperdimension Neptune Victory felt as great as the previous episodes. It goes further than Mk2 in many ways, and is therefore a good pick for the fans of the series and JPRG gamers as a whole.
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    The Hyperdimension Neptunia series is a strange one indeed. Despite the relatively constant panning it receives from most mainstream gaming sites and video game “journalists”, the series continues on and has garnered itself quite the cult following in the process. Having only played a small portion of the previous game, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, I can’t say I knew too much about what toThe Hyperdimension Neptunia series is a strange one indeed. Despite the relatively constant panning it receives from most mainstream gaming sites and video game “journalists”, the series continues on and has garnered itself quite the cult following in the process. Having only played a small portion of the previous game, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, I can’t say I knew too much about what to expect.

Naturally, the thing that separates this series from the rank and file is its concept. Hyperdimension Neptunia is based around the concept of personifying the game industry itself into cute anime girls. The main characters are all personifications of different consoles and have personalities that reflect the companies, user bases, and of course games on each system. And for a decent part, in terms of the Japanese industry anyways, the characters do a decent job at that.

The combat is interesting and fun. I actually had flashbacks to Dragon Quarter while fiddling with this game’s combat system, which is in my opinion an awesome game. It is a turn-based game where you are able to position your characters at will in a three dimensional space, using a variety of different attacks to strike at your foes. As you keep getting further in, the amount of options available just keeps on piling—starting with a few simple combination attacks to turning your characters into space shuttles that bomb your enemies from orbit. It’s honestly one of the best battle systems I’ve seen in JRPGs in this gen.

Exploration and questing are somewhat lacking in this game, sadly. The quests range from pretty good to mind-numbingly boring and tedious, even if the flavor text is usually pretty funny. If I didn’t get to fiddle around with the combat system more, and if the rewards for doing so weren’t pretty decent, I probably wouldn’t have bothered questing at all, to be perfectly honest. Exploration mainly revolves around the Chirper system, too. Made to represent Facebook/Twitter in a sense, the Chirper system leads to some pretty funny quips from NPCs and ultimately is what you use to get from town to town. While it is a cool system, an actual overworld would have ultimately been better. If they were to do that the next game, it would be very cool.

Dungeons in the game are decent. Some have some pretty crazy designs, as well as some decent music. I also adore this game for not having random encounters—any JRPG that doesn’t have random encounters instantly goes up in my books. You can also find more dungeons using the scout system, which you can use to find all sorts of info about the land.

The game is also surprisingly challenging. Bosses and virus enemies in particular will slap you silly if you're not careful. It's a level of challenge that I haven't felt in many JRPGs as of late. The game either forces you to equip and play well or grind for many tedious hours.

The dialogue and characters are rather simple and over-the-top, but can be quite entertaining. If you’re looking for Shakespeare-level character depth, look elsewhere right now because you’re not going to find it here. There are references littered throughout the game, too, which fans of many different series may come to appreciate. Dialogue can also be pretty sexual at times—one character in particular seems to be unable to go on for less than a minute without some kind of sexual innuendo, which may or may not throw off some people. There is also a LOT of dialogue in this game, and while I would never say that is a bad thing in an RPG there is enough to sour some. Thankfully, the square button can be used to skip any dialogue you wish.

Also, a strange complaint, but it feels like much of the dialogue is not voiced. However, when in Japanese, pretty much everything is voiced. It kind of hurts when the game boasts it's English dub and you never HEAR the English dub.

Graphics-wise, the game is "okay". It's not Crysis-on-max or anything, but it's a pretty cartoony artstyle which makes up for it somewhat. Conversations also use beautifully animated 2D portraits, with mouths that lip-synch to the text. Honestly, I wish more people would take a page from this game when making 2D visual novel-style conversations.

In the end, this is a very niche title. While I did have fun with it and think it’s surprisingly a pretty decent game, I would recommend that anyone interested do some research before they jump into it, because it certainly isn’t for everyone. The game does a good job of conveying a very retro feel, which I guess is what they were looking for. In reality, this is probably more around a 7.5/10, but for the sake of rounding it will go down as an 8 from me.
  3. Apr 12, 2013
    Gameplay 10/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 10/10. Overall 10/10. If you like the series for what it is, you probably won’t find anything to complain about here. This is probably the peak of the series. They've perfected Neptunia's formula.
  4. Sep 2, 2013
    This is an underestimated game due to what you can see on images and reviews but behind Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory there's a deep system that many games classified as RPG nowadays doesn't have.

If you played mk2 you should know that this game is very similar to it but with many improvements. So if you enjoyed the previous title, this game is a must play. If you're new to the series you will be able to understand the universe and the story but be aware that you must at least enjoy niche JRPGs and/or anime style. This is not an AAA title and has many aspects that you may classify as boring and poor.

Graphics in cutscenes and events have been improved because now they use 2D animation instead of the cel shading, which works better with the anime style. On the other hand, 3D graphics have not become much better than mk2. Speaking of cutscenes, that's when I say that you must enjoy japanese humour. They are long, with many dialogs that sometimes doesn't add content to the main story. Not that it isn't good. Characters are charismatic, full of personality and the jokes are funny with metalanguage, something you usually don't see on games (Metal Gear Solid has some of it).

The battle system is turn-based with free movement over the environment. It is fun and there's a good number of skills that you can use. There's also combined skills, something that I always enjoyed since Chrono Trigger. You can also transform the characters into stronger forms. One bad thing is that bosses usually do the same thing: one strong simple hit. I missed their use of skills to make the battle more dynamic. Frame rate drops during the animation of the skills but it's not a big deal.

There's a lot of sidequests that you can make and items to find and forge. Secret monsters and areas can be activated by the Scout system and there's also an affection system to unlock combined skills. Like I said before, there's many content to find in the game if you have time to spend.

There's a disadvantage for those who play only the main story without looking for extra content. The normal ending is disappointing and leaves many gaps in the story. It happens suddenly, making you ask "Wait, did I finish the game? That's it?". In order to have a better experience you need to spend more hours to watch the other endings, so I recommend looking for a guide to know exactly what you gotta do.

Unfortunately, the game suffers from recycled content. Different dungeons have the same design and they change only the enemies. The game is cheaper than the standard price, and that may justify the use of the same objects. And even having some ecchi moments in the game, I don't think they're the focus.

If you're looking for a great strategy JRPG and enjoy the anime style you should take a look at this game.
  5. Jun 1, 2013
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory is a step up from Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that the disgusting white and black text box and the 3d models from Mk2 are gone during dialogue sections. We're back to our nice 2D sprites.

The gameplay is great, the story is great, the art direction is fantastic, and we still have the one thing we wanted; Cute girls doing cute things in cute outfits and battling monsters. I recommend you ignore the "professionals" and buy this game.

Although i think its about time they took a break considering we've had a Neptune game every year, i want my Disgaea 5. Please~.
  6. Jun 17, 2013
    Adore Games with empathy for the characters
    The Japanese fantasy is very beautiful, and gives a good impression
    The best I have saliva when it is in the level of development
    note Game you need a little development to become a series of play
  7. Jul 8, 2014
    If it weren't for the game play of the first game I would have a harder time saying this, but HDN V is definitely the best game of the series at the moment (Rebirth should change that)
    Best game play by far though I would say not as charming as the first game.
    Best game play by far though I would say not as charming as the first game.

If you've played the Japanese version or read the original script you'd know the terrible localization NISA gave this game which is one of my biggest complaints easily.

Either way best game of the series, but definitely don't start playing the series from here and going backwards, it's hard to adjust to the game play getting worse.
  8. May 10, 2014
    My initial impression of this game was not exactly favorable, but after playing it for while, I really started to enjoy it, behind the framerate and other such issues lies a greatly made JRPG with humorous dialogue, likable characters, challenging enemies, and a lot of content to be explored. The combat system is very standard and not very special, but it's still average in terms of RPGs,My initial impression of this game was not exactly favorable, but after playing it for while, I really started to enjoy it, behind the framerate and other such issues lies a greatly made JRPG with humorous dialogue, likable characters, challenging enemies, and a lot of content to be explored. The combat system is very standard and not very special, but it's still average in terms of RPGs, the dialogue is very well-written, the music is fairly good, not exactly special, but it's fitting. It's certainly not a AAA title, it recycles models frequently and recolors them, but that adds a bit of charm to the game, it's not perfect, but it's still really good for what it is. I would definitely recommend the game to any RPG fans, especially fans of the Agarest War series. Despite its flaws, it's a wonderful and charming RPG. Expand
  9. Dec 9, 2014
    In general, the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise is indeed an interesting one. Very anime-ish in it's design and it does indeed tend to go toward a somewhat perverted humour. But that isn't bad at all. It's actually what makes the games so charming!

But back to the game at hand, the third installment in the main series: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory. My god, this game. Likable

My god, this game. Likable characters, nice graphics, fun gameplay and a decent soundtrack.

You have the usual cast of the four CPUs: Neptune, Noire, Blanc and Vert. The CPU candidates also make an appeareance, though Nepgear is the one you'll be looking at the most.

But wait, there's more! This game also introduces new characters to the series! One of which being Plutia, or Iris Heart. She's an adorable sadist. That's all I have to say.

The graphics and general design of the game is, as stated earlier, very anime-ish. I, myself, found it to be very enjoyable, though! It's no lie say, that the entire game looks like it was taken straight out of an anime! Everything from the characters to the in-game areas is that "anime".

The dungeons themselves are pretty good, I'd say. They are rather unique and looks interesting. I really wanted to go explore them myself, but when you encounter the enemies, it just gets that tiny bit more enjoyable. The enemies range from "Aww, that's adorable!" to "The heck is that thing!?!", something I do indeed appreciate.

But this is also where the only real drawback in the graphics/design department is. They re-use dungeons and enemy designs. A lot. Though, to be fair, they do a good job at making the dungeon layouts different (well, most of the time), so it's not unbearable.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the soundtrack. "Why is that?" I hear you ask, and I shall answer thine question! It's incredibly forgettable.

Now, the soundtrack itself isn't bad, just... not that amazing. Don't get me wrong, there are indeed a few hidden gems in this game, two of which being "Uni's Theme: Version V" and "Yellow Hearts' Theme". These aren't the only ones, it's just the ones I'm able to remember. And that is despite having played the game a few hours ago!

And it's a shame, really. The soundtrack of the franchise in general is really not that amazing. When I'm going to play a JRPG for the first, the things that mean the most towards me liking or disliking it, is: the story, the soundtrack, the gameplay and the gameplay. Personally, I'd say this game nails them all, except for the soundtrack one (ok, the story is decent at best. Happy?). It's been a problem since the first game and granted it has become better with each title (except for Producing Perfection. That game is "meh" on pretty much all aspects...), there's still quite a ways to go, before it'll become really good.

Here's hoping for Victory II to have an amazing soundtrack!

I'll go over the gameplay very brief since it's got a lot in common with most other JRPGs.

The menus' is as you'd expect. Press a button for something to happen. Press a button to talk to people. Press a button to view events. Press a button to enter a dungeon. Not a whole lot there.

The overworld is hardly any more complex. You move your character around and press a button to initiate battle (or you can let the enemy sneak up from behind!) You can pick up items and search for hidden ones. You can jump, which is totally badass, as well as open the main menu to change equipment and make combos.

Battles' are quite easy to understand as well. You position yourself so that you can attack the enemy with your sweet homemade combos, use SP-Skills or EXECUTE EXE-Skills (I'll find the way out myself....)! With the press of a button you open another menu that allows you to transform, flee, switch with the backrow party member or use an item. And that's really the gist of it!

All in all, this game is great. The characters personalities, as well as the characters themselves are enjoyable and fun to watch and be with. The graphics and general design of the game is light on your eyes and rather creative, though they tend to re-use areas and enemy-designs. It's also a very anime-ish style game, which might scare off some people. The gameplay is easy, enjoyable and fun. You can quickly get into it. The soundtrack is decent and very forgettable. It shouldn't be the reason you would play the game.

I'd say the game makes up for it's flaws with what it does good, and that is also why this game stands as my favourite game of all time, right besides Ōkami.
  10. Sep 2, 2013

1. Jan 14, 2014
    With top-tier writing and characterization, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory does its series proud.
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    For a JRPG, having no worthwhile character development or well-written plot is a death sentence, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory is guilty on all accounts. Its annoying characters will test even the most ardent of JRPG players and its ho-hum, dungeon-crawling gameplay leaves much to be desired. Even with the excuse of being a niche title, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory doesn’t meet even the most basic requirements expected of the genre.
    An hilarious RPG that tries to be light-hearted, yet deep at the same time. Those who love Compile Heart style RPGs will fall in love with this sequel, but detractors will turn their nose up at it. Great for the fans but not a gateway game to bring non-fans into the fold.