Jet Set Radio PlayStation 3

7.3

1. Dec 8, 2013
    I can see why so many love this game, but honestly it just was not for me. The game's bizarre style and unique gameplay reminds me of a Suda51/Grasshopper Manufacture game. The soundtrack is also crazy and excellent. It's the gameplay that turns me off from this title.

Cheap hits, irritating time limits, and awkward controls ruin an otherwise charming experience for me. The gameplay is completely unique. You skate around spray-painting buildings while dodging rival gangs and cops. It's unlike anything I've ever played before, so you may find it refreshing, but I just found it irritating thanks to the flaws I previously mentioned. The controls are loose and I never really felt like I was totally in control of my jumps, which is especially irritating when you need to be precise to stick a landing. Enemies in this game only serve the purpose of getting in your way and slowly chipping away at your health bar. They aren't really an issue but it did make me wish that more health cans were scattered throughout the levels. By far the worst issue with this game are the constrictive time limits in each level. They constantly made me rush through levels and were really the only reason I had to restart levels. I never really had any fun playing the game at all.

Like I said before this game just wasn't for me, but who knows you might find that you love this game. I question though whether or not most of the praise for the game comes from those who played the game back on the Dreamcast and are nostalgic. When it comes down to it I appreciated the game's style, but did not appreciate it's gameplay. Do with that info what you will.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 15, 2012
    Uniquely, irresistibly charming. [Dec 2012, p.114]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Nov 12, 2012
    The Dreamcast classic returns. In HD! The soundtrack is still brilliant. Depending on who you ask, the gameplay might not have aged as well. But for any true nostalgic fan, Jet Set Radio is still the best rollerblading game around. [November 2012, p.92]
  3. Oct 18, 2012
    Jet Set Radio is by no means a perfect game, nor was it originally, but it's the world, its ideas and that same unique energy that keep it relevant today.