Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Apr 10, 2012
    I made an account here just to review this game. I have never been so emotionally invested in any game I've ever played, there isn't any way I can describe it. Honestly if you own a PS3 then this game is a must have. Just go buy it now.
  2. Apr 14, 2012
    If there is something that transcends the definition of game that something is Journey.
    Call the Journey game is something wrong simply because he surpasses himself.
    Getting something so incredible for a game downloaded itself deserves 10, but I would not be disappointed if this game was physical, thus give you a nice round 10.
  3. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't knowJourney isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  4. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly haveUnusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  6. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey is beautiful and involving. I didn't find it moving, but it is fascinating.

I played online and had a companion for each chapter. I wasn't actually sure whether they were other players or a computer character, because they were integrated into the cut scenes too. It was thrilling. However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but

However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but I was still exploring after two hours, and was definitely not ready or expecting to have to wrap up so soon. A shame that in the end something so measured ends up feeling attenuated ... Regardless, the game is genuinely stunning, obviously made with love, and it tells a mythic story with a light hand, which I liked. I hope it's a success, as it suggests new directions for what's possible with setting and atmosphere in games.
  7. Mar 21, 2012
    I bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seeminglyI bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seemingly flawless online play, in which you are connected to other travellers at random and can traverse the landscapes as a duo. No names, no microphones, just co-operative gameplay as it should be. The controls are as fluid and smooth as the game, using only 4 buttons throughout which makes it easy to pick up and play as and when you please. So in summary, Journey is an incredibly enjoyable gaming experience and should not be missed, but it now! Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2015
    What the hell just happened, I've just been watching my boyfriend press 'UP' for 90 minutes, his finger hurt so I've been pressing up for him, why? Why is this game so lame that I've had to take time out of watching youtube seminars to relive his finger. This game is pointless the music is composed of midi crap and the whole thing is a lame stab at some art house peace of ****
  9. Feb 28, 2014
    Journey is indie hipster tripe. For whatever reason, this game's gotten praised, yet it's not much of a game, nor is it much of an "experience." It's a repetitive, AHEM, Journey *wink wink nod nod*, that isn't worth your money, much less your time. Go outside, teach your kid to ride a bike, and you'll have a much more worthwhile emotion than this hipster garbage.
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    12,99 just to go for a walk for an hour? Graphics look good but everything else is just not there. How anyone can be so amazed about Journey is gonna stay a secret for me.
  11. Jul 11, 2012
    this game is VERY exaggerated. Graphics are AMAZING. Sounstracks are OUTSTANDING. But come on... NO DIALOUGE? CHARACTERS ARE UNKNOWN? The goal is unclear... They want to reach the mountain...really unclear! Yes there is some beauty, peace... for 2 hours? SERIOUSLY.
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks CONS: Unclear story, Way
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks
    CONS: Unclear story, Way too short, Unknown character?
    i am simply expressing my opinion. You have yours and i have mine.
  12. May 23, 2012
    Welcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, thisWelcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, this game isn't really a game. It's like watching a movie with a joystick. You're fooled into thinking it's not absolutely linear because your dude can jump around and climb hills to see views of, uh, more emptiness. It doesn't require skill, the music provides all the emotion, and there is more danger lurking in the first level of Super Mario Brothers than in this entire game. I mean, even Luigi jumping on a flagpole thinks Journey is too easy. The game is a "yeah life is hard, but it's worth it/have hope/enjoy the journey/etc." symbol. So if you just broke up with a significant other or your parents got divorced or whatever, you're going read way too much into this thing and be like, "Yeah, that's me, pushing against the cold wind, hiding from monsters. That is SO just like my life." Well, guess what. That's everyone's life. Way less replay value than people claim. One and done. Heartwarming. Momentarily fun. Innovative. Whimsical. Boring. Nice. Beautiful. Short. Intriguing. Overrated. Save yourself the money and just watch someone else play it on YouTube. Don't tell me you need to personally be the one holding the stick forward for two hours to get what this game is about. Expand
  13. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not going to make a lot of friends with this one but here we go. To me this just isn't worth $15 dollars. I played it once and two of my friends played it once. I would guess we got a total of 3 hours of gameplay out of it and I will most likely never touch it again. Is the music great and touching, yes. Are the graphics beautiful and moving, yes. But I don't understand how you put an orchestral soundtrack running in the background of your game and everyone thinks the story is deep and meaningful (I am looking at your Halo), when the truth is, It isn't. It's about life, it's about death, it's about rebirth. No, it's actually about how if against all logic you decide to chase a shiny object on a hill and believe that it might be a good idea to walk 5 miles in the snow only wearing a burka (which is clearly made for the desert, and misogyny) everything will be ok because the tall white gods in the sky will take you to heaven where you and any idiot that followed you will be burned to death in a golden glowing light. You can say I just didn't get it, but my guess is you didn't get it either and you decided to find meaning in your misunderstanding. I am not saying this game is crap. It is a beautiful piece of interactive art but I want all the people giving this game 10's to ask themselves if Journey is really what the pinnacle of game is. Or if they are just so jaded that a game essentially has to trick them like the emperor and is new clothes that they are the only one who doesn't get it. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfullyJourney is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfully short length, there was no time to form any kind of emotional relationship with other players. Replay value is extremely low, since the entire game follows the exact same path. There's no challenge either; the entire game is extremely easy. There's a couple puzzles here and there, but for most of the game you're just sitting there holding the control stick forward. If you're the type of person who likes games that are mildly interactive experiences emphasizing the visuals, then Journey will definitely be for you. Otherwise, you'll quickly find out that the constant high praise is completely unfounded and end up disappointed like me. Expand
  15. Apr 29, 2014
    To me, Journey is bad art.

Art, by its nature, should challenge the viewer. It should invite subjectivity, speculation, and wonder. This doesn't have to be positive, as it can also provoke fear and paranoia, but in some way, a good piece of art will challenge its audience. If all a piece of supposed art does is tell a story, then that's not art as I perceive it. If all it does is
    To me, Journey is bad art.

If all a piece of supposed art does is tell a story, then that's not art as I perceive it. If all it does is push an agendda, then that's not art either, that's propaganda. No matter how much you gussy up these things, you're not actually making art unless you're intellectually and/or emotionally challenging your audience.

Journey is, quite essentially, a popular appeal to the masses dressed up as art. It provides three very mainstream tenets for people to relate to, so that they can have their values reaffirmed whilst being convinced that this experience was enriching for them. That's not at all different to how propaganda works.

Creationism: To worship the one above is important, as they created all, and to seek any other than to do their work is an abhorrent sin. We were created, and as such, we obey our creator. It is through their glory that we will achieve; Rapture cometh, and with it, ascendancy.

Uniformity: Individualism is a sickness external to the herd, it's an insightful thought which comes from inside, rather than outside. The introvert provides a new query to the crowd which breaks the flow, and introduces chaos. This dissonance is sickness, and must be fought.

Neo-Luddism: Anything that existed before I was born is natural, anything that existed within my youth is new and exciting, and anything that exists after is an abomination. Our sciences will be the downfall of us all, we should return to a time when we churned our own milk and fought our wars with swords. They were better times.

These are commonly held beliefs. I can't say I agree with them because:

1.) Evolution.

2.) That's the borg.

3.) What about all those plagues?

But that's what Journey eschewed, plaintively, and without any shame. The white cloths were always presented with a godlike aesthetic similar to mainstream theologies such as Christian or Muslim beliefs. There were the glowing 'god beams' of light from on high, the domineering and divine omniscient presence, sharing its wisdom, and so on. Fairly obvious.

And then there was the fallen technology and the story of how it brought about the end of their civilisation. In this story, you're unable to challenge this notion, you can't challenge the god, nor can you try to get the machines up and running again. It is, essentially, 'push forward to understand how you should be thinking.'

There's nothing challenging about it. It's regressive propaganda, plain and simple. And, to a lot of the mainstream (very commonly amongst less intelligent people), this is romanticised. Especially the downfall of technology. All of those evil nuclear reactors. The average person is a bit peculiar and precious about that, really.

I mean, they want power, but not the nuclear plants. They want chemicals, but not the chemical industry. They want meat, but not the animal farms or slaughter houses. And this is what Journey panders to -- follow the ways of your godbeing and they'll take care of all that.

Leading right up to the ending with iconography designed to be reminiscent of the Rapture and Rebirth (as part of the herd, no less), since those things are apparently inspiring.

I was bored by Journey.

I've witnessed art in games, definitely, plenty of times. I love art. But Journey seems to be a cathartic experience, propaganda for those who want it, to coo softly into their ears and tell them that their beliefs are okay because Art agrees with them. It's faux art, it's a snake-oil salesman with an 'Art' stand of kitsch, contemporary artefacts, ready to sell to whatever gullible schmoes happen to stop by his stand.

It's for the mundane thinker who watches too much television, who's likely never visited an art gallery in their life, hasn't read too many books, et cetera.

I have seen ART now, I am enriched.

Except it isn't art, is it?

It's a crock of bull, it's propaganda, but it's not art.

It has this essence of the Emperor's New Clothes about it, where the developer told people it was art. And the common person believed it, not wanting to look stupid. They never analysed it, questioned it, or stopped to think about whether it actually qualified as art.

And the rest of it?

Exploring a desert with ancient ruins? Hardly original. Singing magicks? I've seen that before, even entire cultures based around DMT. It's not particularly new or clever. So there's no appeal there, either. And it isn't a game, either, so that doesn't save it.

It's just fake art for simple people.
  16. Aug 9, 2012
    Sony promised us so much and I am so disappointed with this title. Flow was ok but this one is not. There are some great games coming out around this time and you should spend your money on those instead of this letdown. Ok I like the arty style but I do not get taken away by the game contents for even one moment.
  17. Apr 3, 2012
    Way too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of theWay too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of the game world is a lot of fun the first couple time you play it. Expand
  18. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game at first. Strange visuals and a weird way to play. It's nice until you realize how short it is for such a demanding price. The graphics are plain, game play is tedious. The upside is it looks really good. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest its worth the price
  19. Mar 21, 2012
    A simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand andA simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand and flowing with the wind along with jumping. I wish I could get attached to the game as others, perhaps the minimalistic (non interactive) aspect of the co-op and the simple direction sells itself? Truthfully I just wanted to slide down the huge mountain at the end :( Expand
  20. Apr 8, 2012
    Journey is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to seeJourney is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to see what Journey really was; a obsessed with it's own self importance that it can't be bothered to tell a coherant story but instead uses pseudoistic imagery to cover up for the non-existant story. Towards the end I did garner something from the game as me and my fellow adventurer which the game had seamlessly connected me too slowly trudged through the snow. It was to say the least brilliant. It was the only real moment me and my companion shared and we'd been together since the start of the game. Marching onward close to death until we fell into the snow unable to continue. It was raw, it was powerful, no thought is as colloasal as that of failure.

However in the game industry there is a misconception that for a game to be good it must have a happy ending and suddenly the raw emotion and loss I felt from me and my companion dying evaporated as we were miraculously revived and finished out journey. Regardless of how good a game is if that satasfaction only occurs for 15 minutes towards the end of a two hour game and that moment is then stripped away and may as welll never occured then I'm sorry but it's not worth my time or money.
  21. Mar 29, 2012
    Hugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (IHugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (I mean, walk into wind, be blown back, walk into wind, repeat and rinse), but the worst crime of all is unfullfilled promise.

All the way through Journey promises of a bigger puzzle by displaying hieroglyph type icons, it fools the player into thinking the mystery of these shapes and the artwork they display occasionally will have to be cracked, will have to be understood, into order to reveal the games true meanng, and allow the gamer to experience the end game - but no, these are merely momentary eye candy that have no influence on the gameplay at all.

How much greater could this game have been, if the gamer had to pull together all the images displayed on their "Journey", and figure out some kind of puzzle in order to enjoy some final reward scene. But no, in Journey, you just have to walk, up a hill, into the wind.

Very disapointed with this game, sadly.
  22. Mar 25, 2012
    Journey is great to look at, but not fun to play. All you get to do is walk and after you get passed the sand levels walking becomes annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only five dollars, but there just isn't enough to do in this game to justify paying fifteen dollars for it.
  23. Mar 18, 2012
    After becoming fatigued from constant big budget games that require you to shoot stuff in the face I thought I'd give this a try as it looked so unique and different. After playing Journey though my feelings have changed. The game play isn't unique or different so much as it is none existent.

All you seem to do is press forward on the left stick to the point where at the end of the game my thumb was starting to ache. There is no challenge, nothing to interact with, no humor and the game generally is all about the graphics.

It's more of an interactive piece of art rather than a game that's meant to be experienced rather than played. But at just an hour and a half long I was relieved when it was over and for the price it's really not worth it.
  24. Jul 29, 2012
    $15 price tag, 1 hour of game play, no challenge, and no replay value (unless you're a trophy hog). I don't see why so many people overrate this "game". Sure it's pretty, but if I wanted nothing but eye candy, I would've downloaded a screen saver and stared at that. At least it would be free.
  25. Aug 9, 2012
  26. Mar 14, 2012
    Sure this game is worth 9/10 if you didn't pay for it: I'm looking at you professional reviewers. It would even be 9/10 if it were 5 bucks and I wouldn't be pissed that it is only 1 hour of gameplay. But no, this game is FIFTEEN DOLLARS for a 1 hour game (a good one hour game nonetheless). However it is the very definition of linear, and the art style is just a ripoff of Team ICO games.Sure this game is worth 9/10 if you didn't pay for it: I'm looking at you professional reviewers. It would even be 9/10 if it were 5 bucks and I wouldn't be pissed that it is only 1 hour of gameplay. But no, this game is FIFTEEN DOLLARS for a 1 hour game (a good one hour game nonetheless). However it is the very definition of linear, and the art style is just a ripoff of Team ICO games. Save your money and watch on youtube if you are really bored. Expand
  27. Jul 20, 2012
    Well, this was a dissapointing game. I mean, if you're into art games like thatgamecompany's previous games, "Flower" and "Flow", you'll love this. Otherwise, don't bother paying the outrageous price of 15.00 for this hour-long game. Also, while the art style and music make up the 2 points i am giving this game, i have to say that the gameplay is just not satisfying enough, and theWell, this was a dissapointing game. I mean, if you're into art games like thatgamecompany's previous games, "Flower" and "Flow", you'll love this. Otherwise, don't bother paying the outrageous price of 15.00 for this hour-long game. Also, while the art style and music make up the 2 points i am giving this game, i have to say that the gameplay is just not satisfying enough, and the multiplayer element, (where you see another player with no gamertag or identification) while a cool concept, is utterly strange and not used to it's potential. Overall, one of the most dissapointing games of the year. I quite enjoyed Flower, but this was just another overhyped game that as another reviewer said on here "seems like a religion". Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2012
    I went into journey by way of ps3 console which said u will be auto joined to a mini game. At least 20 tries at finding anything new to advance the progress of the game has failed. I am an avid gamer and not in the least dumb at solving puzzle games but this is ridiculously either the most impossible game to find answers to or it is made to be unsolved from the ps3 online direction. I seeI went into journey by way of ps3 console which said u will be auto joined to a mini game. At least 20 tries at finding anything new to advance the progress of the game has failed. I am an avid gamer and not in the least dumb at solving puzzle games but this is ridiculously either the most impossible game to find answers to or it is made to be unsolved from the ps3 online direction. I see many avatars wandering around and obvioulsy doing the same thing and finding no answers. It wouldnt be so obtuse if I could interact with another player in any way. The game is either made to be unachieved or I am a moron looking for a clue that isnt there. If standing in a sandpit waiting and hoping something happens is the new game genre for ppl who may like the sights and waiting for anything to happen while sand blows up ur nose and music gets boring from lack of anything new, I must be actually a fool for going into the game so many times looking for a new clue. You have really made whatever experience we are supposed to find frustratingly sad. If I am supposed to buy the game and play it, that is one thing, but it is offered on the ps3 homesite for gameplay...Hello! there is no gameplay on it. It's a tease of some unknown proportion that has made me never want to go further or buy the game at all. If it's only a 2 hour game anyway, and there is a journey art book out for sale of this game, what is the point of ever continuing in this farce of a game? Yes, I may sound angry, it is true, and angry because you took a game i may have tried and made it into an art that is unplayable. Thank you for destroying my want for art from this game company, because if I could play it for the art, now I wouldnt bother... Expand
  29. Sep 8, 2015
    I though it was only an introduction, but when i saw The End... What? It was fraud, I presume. Creators swindled out my money using good picture and music.
  30. Dec 7, 2012
    Possibly one of the most overrated games of all time. This does not even classify as a game. What we have here is a 90 minute stroll through a barren desert. The gameplay is near non existent and only involve holding your thumb stick forward and watching the pretty image on screen move. Journey is a complete rip off for $15. The replay value is non existent since there is only one path toPossibly one of the most overrated games of all time. This does not even classify as a game. What we have here is a 90 minute stroll through a barren desert. The gameplay is near non existent and only involve holding your thumb stick forward and watching the pretty image on screen move. Journey is a complete rip off for $15. The replay value is non existent since there is only one path to follow so you'll be see the same non interactive environment every time you play. There is a co op mode for some reason that doesn't really add anything to the game aside from "hey there is another guy over there". There is no cooperation or anything. I can't really recommend Journey to anyone, if you like the music, listen to it on YouTube, if you like the graphics, play Trine 2, a game with outstanding art direction and actually has gameplay and meaningful co op. Expand
  31. Mar 23, 2013
    Now I know this as loads of acclaim and stuff but it's way overrated with some awards for multiplayer and STORY. First there's no story just a random cloaked faceless thing that walks across across a desert for a bit then you get to the top of the mountain and a pointless ending £/$15 is a rip-off don't buy it NEVER
  32. Mar 14, 2012
    After all the hype, when it's all said and done this is a terrible game. The developers tried to pull a Shadow of colossus or Ico kind of presentation but they failed miserably. The game itself is pretty but oh so simple and boring. As for the co-op all you do is watch other people doing their own thing. What a joke. and the game is so short it's not even funny.
    If you want to play games
    If you want to play games that are surreal and beautiful you're better off getting the Ico and Shadow of the colossus HD release. I can't believe sony made such a big deal out of this mediocre title, flow was good but not this. There are some great games coming out around this time and you should spend your money on those instead of this drivel. I'm sorry if my review is harsh but almost everyone is making this game out to be so much more than it really is and I can't stand it.
  33. Apr 29, 2012
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  34. Mar 16, 2012
    I really thought I was going to experience something new based on the reviews I read here. I think the reviews were actually written by the team who developed this game! This game is unfinished and feels like a very early alpha rough sketch. I really think this game would have been better off as a .99 cent download for a smartphone or iPad. There is nothing in this journey that isI really thought I was going to experience something new based on the reviews I read here. I think the reviews were actually written by the team who developed this game! This game is unfinished and feels like a very early alpha rough sketch. I really think this game would have been better off as a .99 cent download for a smartphone or iPad. There is nothing in this journey that is memorable and before you know the journey ends. The idea has a lot of potential but falls far short of the promise and final game play. Also, you do encounter others briefly but you have very limited interaction which again feels like they came up with a cool idea and just abandoned it, it could have been so much more then what the final product is like. I really wish this game had more to offer but just like the desert landscapes you will find very little content, what you see is what you get. Nothing more. I applaud your effort to create something new but next time don't rush to deliver an unfinished product and really focus on the game play. Expand
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    Journey takes less than an hour to complete. It's a worthwhile experience, but for $15 I expected a little more. I will say that this game has a soothing nature to it. It's got tense and bleak moments as well, and there's a sense of fulfillment when completing the game. The concept of multiplayer is interesting in Journey. You will get random people popping into your game (I had 8Journey takes less than an hour to complete. It's a worthwhile experience, but for $15 I expected a little more. I will say that this game has a soothing nature to it. It's got tense and bleak moments as well, and there's a sense of fulfillment when completing the game. The concept of multiplayer is interesting in Journey. You will get random people popping into your game (I had 8 total during my playthrough), and they can help you or just be all-around useless. I don't like how some trophies are highly dependent on who you get as a partner in your game, seeing that it's random. In any case, this is a decent game, but it left me wanting more. Expand
  36. Mar 14, 2012
    Brilliant visuals, perfect music, amazing gameplay.
    £10 for 1 hour of gameplay is way too much to ask though.
    I can get more fun and value out of a tenner in a red light district.
  37. Feb 5, 2013
    This isnt even a game its 90 minutes long and its $15 horrible deal there is almost no gameplay and no story if you gave this goty then you are a idiot
  38. Dec 11, 2013
    I loved flower so much! So I was so excited for this one. But I just didn't get into it. The experience never got to me. The world has almost no color to speak of, and I have no idea what I'm doing in this desert. It's hard to explain what makes a game like this good or bad. It just works for you or it doesn't. this did not work for me. Although there was some enjoyment here and there.
  39. Dec 17, 2012
    Definitely not the best game ever created, but one of the most unique. I have never played a game with such fantastic multiplayer as this one. I found myself questioning whether it was an actual person or not many times throughout the game only to be stunned to see 5 people that I met along the way. I can't emphasize how good that multiplayer is, holy cow. The problem is, besides theDefinitely not the best game ever created, but one of the most unique. I have never played a game with such fantastic multiplayer as this one. I found myself questioning whether it was an actual person or not many times throughout the game only to be stunned to see 5 people that I met along the way. I can't emphasize how good that multiplayer is, holy cow. The problem is, besides the multiplayer and beautiful look and feel to it, there isn't much to it. Realistically it would be a 5-6/10 game without this perfect coop play. Is it worth the price? I would say so. Collapse
  40. Sep 9, 2012
    It was pretty, there's no denying that...but I guess it was just a bit too slow-paced and not interactive enough for my tastes. I can't see myself playing it again any time soon, and for a $15 dollar game, that works out to about $7.50/hour of playing time.
  41. Mar 21, 2012
    Some of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flowerSome of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flower (though you have to have the controller level as tilting the pad results in the camera rotating - no good for lying on the sofa and playing). So why the 7? The multiplayer. I've read reviews by people who said they. Built up a bond with their buddy and felt emotions they had never felt before. I didn't get anything like that. I had 8 different buddies in my short journey and they were all useless. I felt annoyed mostly. On top of that there are monsters that cut your scarf of that it seems impossible to avoid and the trophies depend far too much on your buddies. Get this game because the graphics and sound are unreal and I hope that you have a better online experience than I had. Expand
  42. Dec 21, 2013
    This is a cool little game-- it is however OVERPRICED and OVERRATED. I felt a bit ripped off myself. I can see myself playing it twice but I wouldn't call THAT 'replay value'.
  43. Aug 24, 2012
    Sure it has fabolous graphics and great sound quality, but it has no story all i am very unclear of what is going on in the game, you also have no info about the character and only one goal you have to make it to the mountain, i think. But if you are a guy who doesnt care about the story or background info about the character, and just care about the graphics and sound quality then maybeSure it has fabolous graphics and great sound quality, but it has no story all i am very unclear of what is going on in the game, you also have no info about the character and only one goal you have to make it to the mountain, i think. But if you are a guy who doesnt care about the story or background info about the character, and just care about the graphics and sound quality then maybe this is your game, but if you care about the story, sound quality and graphics, like me, you should not play this game. Expand
  44. Jun 25, 2014
    I guess I just don't get it, no matter which way you cut it. As a game I rate it a 2, as there is zero challenge or fun involved in any way shape or form. As a story or "experience", I give it a 5. I can see that maybe it's trying say something deep and meaningful, but honestly, I wish I would've known how little I would have given a **** what it is or may be before trudging throughI guess I just don't get it, no matter which way you cut it. As a game I rate it a 2, as there is zero challenge or fun involved in any way shape or form. As a story or "experience", I give it a 5. I can see that maybe it's trying say something deep and meaningful, but honestly, I wish I would've known how little I would have given a **** what it is or may be before trudging through this pointless "game". What a waste of time. The "pro" reviewers I expected great reviews from, but you user reviewers really let me down on this one. You owe me $15. Expand
  45. Jan 6, 2013
    Actually more like a 9.5... If you are willing to pay $15 for an awesome two-hour movie, then cough up the money and download this two-hour game. It looks amazing and the soundtrack is perfect. I doubt everyone will feel exactly how I felt, but I can definitely say that it is really an experience.
  46. Jan 19, 2013
    Before I get into the game, let me just say, it is a fine game on its own. The visuals are great, the Music is fantastic, and it controls fine. BUT. The game, on its own, is too short for its own good. All in all, even with light Searching and backtracking, the story really only lasts about 4 hours. Second, after you have gone through the story 2 or three times, there's almost nothing leftBefore I get into the game, let me just say, it is a fine game on its own. The visuals are great, the Music is fantastic, and it controls fine. BUT. The game, on its own, is too short for its own good. All in all, even with light Searching and backtracking, the story really only lasts about 4 hours. Second, after you have gone through the story 2 or three times, there's almost nothing left to see. If you look hard enough, you can find most of the Light Pieces on your first or second playthrough, and its not very difficult to find the rest, save for the autoscrolling levels, where you CAN'T backtrack, as the game is constantly moving you forward. So, instead of giving more replayability to the game, its only value is looking for tiny pieces of light that you've missed. If you get the Collectors Edition, with flOw and Flower, there are some more hidden goodies in the desert, but it's still almost the same game. People praise this as a revolution in Platforming and multiplayer, while it is no such thing. The multiplayer is an interesting mechanic, but other than lack of communication, it doesnt bring much to the table. As for the Platforming aspect, its almost entirely the same as other games, save the flying ability once you gather enough scarf. The price tag of $15, or $30 with the Collectors edition, makes its cost too high for its delivery. Maybe move the price down to under $10, and it would be well worth it Expand
  47. Mar 26, 2013
    Journey looks good. But when it cones to play there is non but walking. they could make it better. the co-op sucks. hate it when you meet unkown others that add nothing to the game value but walking too. it is messing something to make it great. its damn beautifule and its only you and your thought since yoy do not need your brain or snything but one finger to press forword. it is no greatJourney looks good. But when it cones to play there is non but walking. they could make it better. the co-op sucks. hate it when you meet unkown others that add nothing to the game value but walking too. it is messing something to make it great. its damn beautifule and its only you and your thought since yoy do not need your brain or snything but one finger to press forword. it is no great and its overhyped. its relaxing though and meaningless like flower and flow. Expand
  48. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful videogame, an spiritual experience that changes my view of videogames is an art videogame the graphics, the celestial music all is perfect. A masterpiece
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    A very unique game. I loved the flow, the feeling of a mystical middle eastern land where the background music put me in a very serene frame of mind. It should be noted that I normally love FPS and dislike most RPG's but the music and motion flow in the demo caught me and I bought the game. Yes it was a tad short and for those expecting a big boss fight or massive sparks-flying end it mayA very unique game. I loved the flow, the feeling of a mystical middle eastern land where the background music put me in a very serene frame of mind. It should be noted that I normally love FPS and dislike most RPG's but the music and motion flow in the demo caught me and I bought the game. Yes it was a tad short and for those expecting a big boss fight or massive sparks-flying end it may have been a bit of a downer but some experiences are not about blowing up a giant bad guy... it's the JOURNEY. Expand
  50. Aug 13, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do not buy this. It is not worth it. I bought it on a sale for €8 and I am sorry for it. This is not a game. This is an "experience", boring and annoying one. It lasted 1.5 hours and I couldn't wait for it to be over. There is absolutely nothing special to see here, guys. You just run around in the desert, and sometimes can be accompanied by another player, which is almost the same as playing alone since the "interaction" and "communication" is very limited. You can't even jump as you wish, since your jump energy depletes very fast, which is very limiting and annoying. Many people are confusing this "game" with art, but it is not art. Yes, it looks pretty sometimes, but it is extremely simple in its design, without any breathtaking scenes. Also, there is no challenge whatsoever, you can't die, you can just prolong your "journey" and make it even more boring. And the whole time you know that in the end you are going to reach the summit and that is exactly what you do. I really cannot believe the score this "game" has. So, in my opinion it deserves 3 for graphics and somewhat original co-op (music is lame), but if I could I would give it below zero just to lower this ridiculously high score it has. Please, don't waste your money on this, buy a proper game instead. Expand
  51. Nov 11, 2015
    Tired of mowing down noobs, equipped with your arsenal of Mtn. Dew, Doritos, Turtle Beach headphones, and your epic gold PS3 controller? Want something to do all day other than invest yourself in the gripping tale of a man in the apocalypse while playing The Last of Us? No? Well, then, I don't care. Get off of that lazy bum of yours and go to the nearest game store and get this modernTired of mowing down noobs, equipped with your arsenal of Mtn. Dew, Doritos, Turtle Beach headphones, and your epic gold PS3 controller? Want something to do all day other than invest yourself in the gripping tale of a man in the apocalypse while playing The Last of Us? No? Well, then, I don't care. Get off of that lazy bum of yours and go to the nearest game store and get this modern classic.
    I will say something before I begin: This is not a game. It is an experience.
    The graphics are phenomenal. Honestly some of the best ever seen. As for the story, it's incredibly vague, but pay close attention and you shall learn the secrets of thatgamecompany's masterpiece. Once you understand, you will feel the feels of a thousand feels. As for length, the game is only an hour or two, but every second is spent from exploring the beautiful desert sands of Journey to enduring the cold, harsh winter environments of the mountain. Everywhere you go is littered with beauty and originality. The feelings you will feel will range from fear to overwhelming joy. Oh? What's that? Did you just ask me where the guns are? There are none. No combat. No violence. No explosions. NOTHING. And it is BEAUTIFUL. As for the ending, it's kind of sad, but it turns out that it's just the closest thing to a modern "congratulations". But the thing is, at that point, you don't CARE. The journey is something every human must bear witness to. After all, it is about the journey, not the destination. As for the online, it's nice. I completely support the idea. Meeting somebody just like you: somebody clueless, who meets you like you meet him: Confused, unknowing, and a mind full of wonder. Definitely but this game. And I don't mean if you happen to see it somewhere. I mean get up right now and buy it. Nobody deserves to miss out. Oh, does this not sound appealing? Well, I'm sure you'd rather get back to your episode of Dora the Explorer. Fair enough. I shall keep you no longer.
  52. Oct 3, 2012
    When I was done playing, I went over to twitter to personally thanked the crew that made this game. I was soooo happy. Finally! This game is going to be at top-5 2012 for sure!
  53. Aug 10, 2012
    An emotional, and creative experience, and not just artistically, but technically. I went into the game nothing, and after becoming attached to my companion I finished the game only to find out I was playing co-op the whole time (I wondered why the AI seemed so intelligent and anxious). The down side being that the game is very short, and very easy.
  54. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the greatest experiences I've ever had playing a video game. The music and graphics are absolutely beautiful. So simple yet overwhelming. Even after I collected all of the trophies and collectibles I continued playing it just for fun. Highly recommended.
  55. May 28, 2012
    Lovely game. Starts out slow, but draws you into the "journey" as you progress. Visuals are beautiful. The musical scores is the thing that really sets the tone. Meeting other players online is a nice experience. Being helped along by friendly souls felt so nice. While there's not much of a story or action, this gaming experience is touching and unique. Worth every cent!
  56. Nov 6, 2012
    So far the best art game I've played. So simple and achingly beautiful. A game that gives you just enough story so you create your own narrative as you go. Every play through really is a Journey that you'll remember. It's short but you won't find a more perfect and beautiful game experience out there. Game of the year.
  57. May 28, 2012
    More a work of art than a game.Incredibly beautiful but short at barely 2 hours long.There is a slight replay value but it's expensive for what you get,so caveat emptor.
  58. Dec 7, 2012
    It's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. ButIt's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. But if you think of it as something other then a game you find something amazing. So to say this is a game doesn't really quite grasp it's full essence. It is... a Journey. (Curse them and their perfect naming)

To comprehend this a bit better I think of what Jesse Schell writes in his book "The Art of Game Design" on the topic of what a Game Designer does he has this to say: "Ultimately, a game designer does not care about games....When people play games, they have an experience. It is this experience that the designer cares about. Without the experience, the game is worthless." And this is what Journey has done. They created a truly unique experience, that while being interactive is not necessarily a game. Game Designers for years have tried to tell story through interactive mediums, ever since the first MUDs, and text based adventures. And while we've gotten some truly spectacular games out of these attempts, we rarely see a truly spectacular story. The stories we do see could be better told through book or film. But Journey has proven that it can be done through an interactive medium , and not only that but they can make it amazing. They've crafted something between game, book, and movie and it's fantastic. The real trick now is to see if they can do it again, or to see if anyone can ever do it again. This may just be a beautiful fluke, a nice bit of intrigue that will eventually be nothing more then a footnote in gaming history. Something that people will read about and say, "Sounds interesting." And then will never think about again. Can't wait to see if it takes us somewhere new.
  59. Nov 15, 2012
    This is probably the first downloadable game that I'd ever consider winning game of the year. First let's get this out of the way, the game is only 2 to 3 hours long, but I can guarantee you that those few hours will be an experience like none other. The gameplay is simplistic, only being able to sing and jump and float around. It is fairly linear, but the setting felt vast at moments. TheThis is probably the first downloadable game that I'd ever consider winning game of the year. First let's get this out of the way, the game is only 2 to 3 hours long, but I can guarantee you that those few hours will be an experience like none other. The gameplay is simplistic, only being able to sing and jump and float around. It is fairly linear, but the setting felt vast at moments. The game is a work of art. Period. The emotion and story that is conveyed is powerful, despite there being no dialog. The painting like art style and gorgeous environments really suck you into the game. I actually sat my controller down at moments just to look at what was on my screen, it was that amazing.The music is also beautiful and truly fits the feel of the game. Prior to playing this game, I decided to beat this game in one sitting. I have played it multiple times and I highly recommend playing it this way, because the impact of the game is all the more powerful that way. Also, despite this game being playable offline, you will want to play it online. The emotional connection that you create with a person that you never talk to once is so mind boggling strong that I literally cried a bit when I had to depart from my newly made comrade. If you have $15, just waiting to be spent, look no further than Journey to fill any gaming desire you have. Thatgamecompany should be applauded for adding something new and beautiful to our gaming lives. Despite it's shortness, I fail to find any other flaws in the game, and the all around experience is something every gamer should try. Journey gets a 10/10. Expand
  60. Jun 19, 2012
    The game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking toThe game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking to yourself, "This isn't possible and I won't let it happen!" The amazing thing is that throughout your journey you will see another individual and you'll assume it's the same person but you'll discover at the end your adventure was shared with many others. I was unable to stop this game until I finished it and I've gone back several times as this is a relaxing game that you experience not play. Understand that there isn't any action and it's not some brain teaser, it's a very simple game but it does simplicity better than anything I've ever played. Expand
  61. Aug 19, 2013
    Journey affects you a different way unlike any other video game. Its open to different interpretations on how you see the game itself. Some call it art, some an emotional experience, others hate it for lack of "gameplay" while others love it for the same reason.
    I myself found it to be a really inspiring game to play. It really is a hardcore gamers' game which is ironic.
    All I can say
    All I can say is if you let this game pass you by then you're missing the whole point of what video games are all about and why.
  62. Jul 4, 2012
    Beautifully visceral and vocal in its silence. Journey is a testament to games as a storytelling device without forcing cumbersome dialogue on the player. This game is paced perfectly and is raised to emotional heights never seen in gaming before with its sweeping soundtrack that multiplies any emotion felt by the player. The multiplayer is meaningful because of the bond of companionshipBeautifully visceral and vocal in its silence. Journey is a testament to games as a storytelling device without forcing cumbersome dialogue on the player. This game is paced perfectly and is raised to emotional heights never seen in gaming before with its sweeping soundtrack that multiplies any emotion felt by the player. The multiplayer is meaningful because of the bond of companionship between a player will create with a stranger. A great buy, and the pinnacle of thatgamecompany's talent so far. Expand
  63. May 14, 2012
    Although this game is fairly short, clocking in at about 2 hours, the experience of this game will stay with you for days, months, after that. Whether it be the wordless story, the perfectly tuned jumping mechanic, or the beautifully simple yet detailed graphics, so many components of the game have been done right. This game is truly a piece of art and everyone should do a service toAlthough this game is fairly short, clocking in at about 2 hours, the experience of this game will stay with you for days, months, after that. Whether it be the wordless story, the perfectly tuned jumping mechanic, or the beautifully simple yet detailed graphics, so many components of the game have been done right. This game is truly a piece of art and everyone should do a service to themselves and play this game. Expand
  64. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is a pure experience, a masterpiece that should not be missed. The poetic journey has filled every part of my mind when I was flying all around, above the magnificent landscapes. Do not hesitate, immerse yourself into this adventure with an open mind. Perhaps, like me, you will be rewarded with an intense sense of accomplishment. This experience is a gift, and the stranger thatThis game is a pure experience, a masterpiece that should not be missed. The poetic journey has filled every part of my mind when I was flying all around, above the magnificent landscapes. Do not hesitate, immerse yourself into this adventure with an open mind. Perhaps, like me, you will be rewarded with an intense sense of accomplishment. This experience is a gift, and the stranger that you'll meet on your path will become, every time, the best friend you've never had. Expand
  65. Jan 19, 2015
    I must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly anyI must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly any hardcore action and fighting. This game reflects the hardships of life, the challenges we face so we reach our destination. At the end we see it's not the destination, but we look back at the journey to get there and how it shaped us. This game cleverly portrays itself as the journey of life, and I haven't felt as connected to a game like this for a long time. The game is short but worth the experience like others have said. Expand
  66. Jun 5, 2012
    Holy **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, noHoly **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, no energy, no hud. Just the world at your feet and the most beautiful music ever. Hell i didnt even realise i was playing co op until the end credits lol. Even the end credits were a thing of beauty. Best tenner ive spent on PSN period. Do yourself a favour and buy this game. If you have anything negative to say about this game you aren't a real gamer and should go back to your mainstream shovelware. Expand
  67. May 24, 2012
    Lost 1 point because its short, gains the other 9 for its beauty and the joy of playing this experience beginning to end. Don't pick this up looking for a game like most others, this is meant to be an experience, short and beautiful.
  68. May 17, 2012
    15 Dollars may sound a little steep for 1-2 hours game play and that is what I thought too. This could not be any father from the truth this was hands down one of the best experiences I have ever had with and game. Buy it now !
  69. Oct 19, 2012
    Journey is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to seeJourney is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to see another person like me, I ran up to them and starting "talking" and jumping around like a dog who just saw another dog at the park. That's probably my favorite aspect of the game, when you see other people and you travel with them. They cannot introll you or ruin the experience they are merely companions who may or may not be with you through the whole game. The game is short, I think it takes roughly 2-3 hours to complete depending on how long you linger in a given area, but the flow is quite good and you won't ever find yourself wondering what to do next. I like short games myself, I don't always want to have to spend 50+ hours to find out what happens, but of course this is a matter of personal opinion. The graphics are great and very fun to look at, and the music is equally wonderful. Playing Journey is obviously not for everyone, no game is, I akin playing Journey to something of an interactive movie or a picture book coming alive. To me it also had an anime vibe but that might just be me. I really enjoyed Journey, it's not for everyone but it's definitely and unique and worth while experience imo. If you think it might be your cup of tea then give it a go you most likely won't regret it. Expand
  70. May 19, 2012
    We've learned to expect some element of exploration, battle, and/or collection in games. Sometimes you can empathize with characters or feel a sliver of happiness or sadness after a cutscene or "moral" decision choice, but for the most part, there is a wall between the player and the character's experience. It's impersonal. Until now.

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I urge anyone who's become underwhelmed by the typical game formula to try this. I want to ramble on about what makes Journey so profound, but there isn't a perfect way of describing it, you just have to play it.

I expect to see great things from Thatgamecompany in the future. They've earned my complete respect.
  71. Mar 26, 2012
    Journey is a great and touching experience. I loved flower and Journey clearly belongs to the same line of thought. Something different and refreshing, where online encounters are fun and a big part of the game. Online integrates seemingly with the solo experience, enriching it in a subtle yet firm way. It's a game where you can be playful, regardless of the dangerous and poetic journeyJourney is a great and touching experience. I loved flower and Journey clearly belongs to the same line of thought. Something different and refreshing, where online encounters are fun and a big part of the game. Online integrates seemingly with the solo experience, enriching it in a subtle yet firm way. It's a game where you can be playful, regardless of the dangerous and poetic journey ahead. Not everyone will get it, like flower, it demands a minimum of sensitivity. Expand
  72. Feb 23, 2014
    Probably the best Indie game I've ever played. It's emotional and moving, even though there isn't any dialogue or combat the entire game. The only weak point for me was the feeling of linearity. The game is called Journey but there are times when it feels like you have absolutely no control over yours.
  73. Jan 5, 2013
    This game moved me to tears. After having completed it, I feel like I've learned something, or gained something in my life. I have never, *never* experienced something that touched me like Journey did. The experience is brief and very subtle, so if you prefer being beaten over the head by an overwrought and emotionally bankrupt 12-hour FPS campaign, this is not the game for you. But ifThis game moved me to tears. After having completed it, I feel like I've learned something, or gained something in my life. I have never, *never* experienced something that touched me like Journey did. The experience is brief and very subtle, so if you prefer being beaten over the head by an overwrought and emotionally bankrupt 12-hour FPS campaign, this is not the game for you. But if you're looking for an experience that is simple, pure, unique, and truly, truly beautiful, you owe it to yourself to experience Journey. Expand
  74. Nov 10, 2013
    Short but oh so sweet. Journey is an adventure platformer that is less about utilizing an array of different game mechanics to overcome a set goal, and more about simply experiencing and sometimes exploring the wondrous setting and adventure the game presents to you. That is not to say interactivity is non existent, but it is light and amounts to little more then traversing the scenes, butShort but oh so sweet. Journey is an adventure platformer that is less about utilizing an array of different game mechanics to overcome a set goal, and more about simply experiencing and sometimes exploring the wondrous setting and adventure the game presents to you. That is not to say interactivity is non existent, but it is light and amounts to little more then traversing the scenes, but what joyous traversal it can be at times. Climbing up a drop in the bucket sand dune while the horizon of sandy needle-points slowly reveal themselves and then whimsically surfing down the other side as you decide to uncover the mysteries behind the next. The visual design and effects do a lot of the legwork in making the game's scenes a visual euphoria, with not only large scale variety like open deserts, pseudo underwater sections, and frosty cliffs, but also little effects that delight such as the High Dynamic Range lighting that sets the sun ablaze, the subtly sparking sand that at certain angles reflects gushes of sunlight, the wind blowing plumes of sand past your feet, and the way the sand shifts and parts when coming in contact with the player or other creatures. Enhancing the game's breathtaking sets to great effect is the soundtrack that amplifies the game's magic and emotional impact. A charming and for some, thought provoking tale with little to show you but so much for you to see, Journey is for people who don't mind simple mechanics and could use some unadulterated wonder. Expand
  75. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey was one of the most inspirational and deep games I have ever played, and this is a tough order for a game that stands at roughly an hour and a half. You control an odd creature that falls from the sky as dust in the middle of a bright, orange desert, which itself is littered with grave stones. The aim of the game is to get to the top of the mountain, which looms in your path for the whole of the Journey. As you progress through the game, you come across a broken civilization, and a story is revealed to you as you go by what I thought were gods. The gods tell you a story of how your ancestors were born from the stars and lived in harmony with the cloth, which is this game's version of life. They then built cities that blocked the plants from living and created robotic type creatures that then turned against them. They are reborn to the skies and you are sent to be their redemption. This game for me was about passing through the remains of what your people had done, and going about the journey that they went through all all that time ago. The mountain is represented as heaven, and when you sacrifice yourself for yourself by walking into the white light as the beautiful music takes a sad note. Your spirit is protected into the sky and passes back over the landscape you traversed. You see others of your species. They seem to be coming back. Like I said, the music is sublime and easily takes the best soundtrack of the year award. The landscapes are fascinating and one particular scene where the light reflects off of the shining sand as the sun sets is breath taking. The multiplier is very discrete, and once you are paired with someone, you can never contact them apart from a series of beeps and bops. This gives you an odd sensation about the person you're playing with, and it is amazing for immersion playing with an entity who is not represent-able by anything that isn't from the game.

In all, Journey is a must play and is easily the best indie game I've ever seen.
  76. Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you to that game company for creating a game that is genuinely original and truly emotional if you find a the right buddy on your Journey. If they continue on this path they might just be the pixar of gaming.
  77. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey, in my opinion, is a milestone in recent gaming. The introduction, navigation and how your character operates within this pseudo-open world is magnificent. While a shorter game, it works perfectly for what it presents and allows itself for multiple playthroughs.

Not being able to communicate (other than singing) with the companions that you meet is a splendid feature. The non-verbal communication reminded me of Fumito Ueda's games, and traveling through certain points felt reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus. Having this world, prone to exploration, with a narrative open to interpretation is something I am certainly a fan of.

--- Spoilers and my experience below ---
    My first playthrough consisted of me meeting a companion early on and going with them throughout the world. They seemingly didn't know how to go in certain areas and followed me everywhere... which made me feel like the "older brother guide" esque person or protector as, I had no idea where I was going myself. After spending 2 hours with this individual, they left and with the accompanying 'leaving animation'... felt saddened. A GAME MADE ME FEEL SAD! In a later playthrough, someone who had unlocked certain things was showing me around and the role reversal was another remarkable feeling. I didn't know where the unlockables were, and they did... finishing the game with them was fun and our interactions were truly something to note, on a personal level. I can't reccomend Journey enough and for only $15 (US) is a remarkable deal. 9 /10
  78. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a truly unique experience, the music is amazing and the game in general looks stunning. The only thing that is bad about this game is the length which is very short, I finished this game in about 2 hours. This is a must have game for Playstation owners.
  79. Mar 27, 2012
    A lovely game. It is done so artisticly well that you can't help but love it. I would, however, say that it may not deserve SUCH the hype that it seems to have received. Defiantly a good purchase tho.
  80. May 25, 2012
    Shocked that it lived up to the hype.

Very expensive for the playtime, and not sure I'd fancy a second playthrough, but well worth it the for the experience you won't get in other titles.
  81. May 1, 2012
    Calling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey isCalling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey is a MUST BUY for any PS3 owner, whether its used as an entertainment title, or as a method to relax after a hard days work. Expand
  82. May 7, 2012
    This game shines not by lenght or by pure gameplay. Instead, it makes you reflect and enjoy the simples feelings defined as joy, friendship, curiosity, hardships and rewards. It is a game for those who apreciates an artistic-driven game, such as Ico or Shadow of Colossus. Journey takes you to beautiful landscapes and puzzles you with an intriguing story of a kingdom that let its selfishThis game shines not by lenght or by pure gameplay. Instead, it makes you reflect and enjoy the simples feelings defined as joy, friendship, curiosity, hardships and rewards. It is a game for those who apreciates an artistic-driven game, such as Ico or Shadow of Colossus. Journey takes you to beautiful landscapes and puzzles you with an intriguing story of a kingdom that let its selfish feelings become their own ultimate destruction - sadly reflecting our own possible future. You feel as a ghost or a humble child as you wander through the desolate - but amazing - ruins. Once in a while you can discover another "ghost" wandering the same landscape - and the multiplayer is all about forging bonds with your companion and understanding what they want and how they feel without the use of segregated things like languages. Music is enough. Who knows if we might sometime learn this lesson. Expand
  83. May 11, 2012
    Very few games could be considered art. Journey is one of those games. It's not long, but the time spent with Journey is will provide feeling and emotions rarely seen in other games. The game is made by "thatgamecompany". And if you are familiar with some of their other games you will understand what I ment by a game being art. This time around it is more an adventure then you would findVery few games could be considered art. Journey is one of those games. It's not long, but the time spent with Journey is will provide feeling and emotions rarely seen in other games. The game is made by "thatgamecompany". And if you are familiar with some of their other games you will understand what I ment by a game being art. This time around it is more an adventure then you would find in the pervious games Flow or Flower. But still has a "thatgamecompany" feel. The game will run $14.99 which can be considered expensive for the length. But very few games will give you the same experience as Journey.

You will find yourself in a desert with no directions or given purpose, but a light off in the distance. Along your way you will encounter other characters with no name or information. But they soon will become your partner through thick or thing. Your only ways to communicate are "charms" your characters can give off. But it's surprising how much you can understand what your partner wants you to do. I would recommend going into this game with as little information as possible. Finding out this info is what makes the experience of Journey. If possible, try and play the game in one sitting. Try and clear a 2:30 to 3 hour time period.
  84. May 11, 2012
    Yes, it's short. Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I loved it. I found it relaxing, fun and beautiful. It's not the perfect gaming experience but it is pretty close. It is a much needed change of pace and that's what makes it so special. I played through two or three times and then used the level select option to farm for a few more trophies. Highly recommended.
  85. May 11, 2012
    Journey is an excellent game and deserves praise. Games can truly be art and this is an amazing example. Though short, it's all worth it. Instead of reading my opinion on it, go experience it yourself.
  86. May 12, 2012
    One of the most amazing and brilliant games to come out this generation. With such amazing atmosphere, through use of a music and visual brilliance and it's use of multilayer.
  87. May 17, 2012
    This is more than a game, is a spiritual experience. You will find your self merged into world of sensations and will not release the controller untill you finished.
    Heat, cold, desperation, hope, fear, joy. This game will take you to the edge of crying
  88. May 21, 2012
    I remember as a 10 or 12 year old when sit down table top pong came to the bowling alley of my hometown. I was awed by the possibilities and have grown up participating in every step of gaming evolution. Breakout was in color, COLOR dammit! Intellivison was the thing to have at the time. The medium has come a long way in what I deem to be a short amount of time. I now am mostly a PCI remember as a 10 or 12 year old when sit down table top pong came to the bowling alley of my hometown. I was awed by the possibilities and have grown up participating in every step of gaming evolution. Breakout was in color, COLOR dammit! Intellivison was the thing to have at the time. The medium has come a long way in what I deem to be a short amount of time. I now am mostly a PC gamer, but own an Xbox and swipe my 15 y/o's PS3 on occasion for proprietary titles. I did this for Journey, a punctuated equillibrial step in the evolution of the art form. Nothing has been said in these reviews that comes close to describing the feeling you get when you've lost your co-journeyer and can't find them back, nor the amount of exuberance you get when you hear them shout their 'Pokemon' name from far across the terrain. Kudos to tgc for being on the front line of this new frontier, and here's hoping they can do it again without being repetitive. Worth the money, time, and emotion invested. Borrow or rent a PS3 if you have to, play it! Expand
  89. Dec 27, 2013
    Truly one the most memorable experiences I have had while playing a video game. Amazing experience that must be played to be appreciated. The imagery, the soundtrack, the story (or lack thereof) are all top notch. My only regret is that I didn't jump on this sooner.
  90. Jun 15, 2012
    A sublime video game experience and well worth the price of admission. With beautiful presentation and soundtrack, Journey has a number of moments which will stick with you for a long time.
  91. May 27, 2012
    Great game with touching music. A bit short though.
  92. May 30, 2012
    A review cannot describe this game. Just Buy it. This is one of the most amazing things ever. A review just does not justify how great it is. Wow, simply amazing stuff
  93. Jun 3, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online'I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online' experience feels very unique, a random player may all of a sudden pop up out of nowhere and carry out their Journey with you, helping you to find extras within the game or just a second character to walk along with. All in all this is a fantastic experience which everyone should try at least once. Expand
  94. Jun 5, 2012
    thatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longerthatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longer then the game would've suffered. If you aren't into artistic types of games then look elsewhere, but if you do, you will not be disappointed. Very excited to see what thatgamecompany's next project will be. Kind of hoping it will be on all platforms so everybody can enjoy it. Expand
  95. Jun 7, 2012
    Thatgamecompany has made quite a reputation for themselves over the past few years. Their â
  96. Jun 27, 2012
    This is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do withThis is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do with challenges than it does revisiting a nook of Chen's extraordinary imagination. The player develops an affection not only for their environment, but also for anonymous company they encounter along the way, in spite of never communicating verbally with other players nor knowing who they are until the end of play. Every last aspect of this game has been given deep consideration, and the results show in abundance. Perfect ten - and we ought to be pleased we can download this to our consoles, as it belongs in a gallery moreover anywhere else! Expand
  97. Oct 8, 2013
    Sinceramente não sei o que as pessoas viram nesse jogo. Ir de um lado para outro, sem nada mais o que fazer.... Gráficos bonitinhos, e nada além disso. Um lixo, não compre!
  98. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyoneThis game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyone who cares to look deep enough. If you don't, you only cheat yourself out of a great experience. If you do, then you get something great. Expand
  99. Dec 17, 2012

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]