Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Jun 3, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online'I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online' experience feels very unique, a random player may all of a sudden pop up out of nowhere and carry out their Journey with you, helping you to find extras within the game or just a second character to walk along with. All in all this is a fantastic experience which everyone should try at least once. Expand
  2. Jun 5, 2012
    thatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longerthatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longer then the game would've suffered. If you aren't into artistic types of games then look elsewhere, but if you do, you will not be disappointed. Very excited to see what thatgamecompany's next project will be. Kind of hoping it will be on all platforms so everybody can enjoy it. Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2012
    Thatgamecompany has made quite a reputation for themselves over the past few years. Their â
  4. Jun 27, 2012
    This is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do withThis is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do with challenges than it does revisiting a nook of Chen's extraordinary imagination. The player develops an affection not only for their environment, but also for anonymous company they encounter along the way, in spite of never communicating verbally with other players nor knowing who they are until the end of play. Every last aspect of this game has been given deep consideration, and the results show in abundance. Perfect ten - and we ought to be pleased we can download this to our consoles, as it belongs in a gallery moreover anywhere else! Expand
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    Sinceramente não sei o que as pessoas viram nesse jogo. Ir de um lado para outro, sem nada mais o que fazer.... Gráficos bonitinhos, e nada além disso. Um lixo, não compre!
  6. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyoneThis game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyone who cares to look deep enough. If you don't, you only cheat yourself out of a great experience. If you do, then you get something great. Expand
  7. Aug 14, 2012
    I haven't played this game but I am going to get it very soon based on reading these reviews. The reason I wanted to weigh in is that I'm amazed by a couple people complaining that there isn't much of anywhere to go...Just read the title, it's not about the destination, it's about the JOURNEY. Stop worrying about where you have to go and enjoy living in the moment.
  8. Aug 17, 2012
    anyone who rated journey below an 8 just doesnt get it. go back to your shooters i guess. i love shooters too, but this game is seriously awesome and there is no way in H3LL that people shouldnt like it.
  9. Dec 5, 2012
    Somewhere out there is a person who's name I will never know, who's face I will never see and who's voice I will never hear, but I will never forget them. For an hour and a half I fought against temptation, impatience, and personal reward to stay by their side, and they did the same for me without so much as a hesitation.

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild elements of what a "game" is, such as platforming and puzzle solving, but these things are never used in such a way that they hinder your progress or pull you away from your ultimate goal. Rather, they are there to pull you deeper into the world you find yourself mysteriously dropped into.

No words can properly describe the experience that is Journey, because it is a human experience unlike any other that I have seen in gaming. The soundtrack is grandiose without being intrusive, the environments are hauntingly beautiful, and every camera movement has been carefully planned out. The art direction is second to none with absolutely no inconsistencies, and the graphics themselves are absolutely flawless. Essentially, there isn't a single thing that I can reproach to Journey, because whatever flaws it might have are unnoticeable whereas it's long-term emotional and visual impact are unforgettable.

Due to it's ambient multiplayer element, there are times when your adventure feels soul-crushingly lonely, only to have it turned on it's head by encountering a mysterious traveler along your path. You can not communicate with this other person through any other means than singing short musical notes and by standing close to them to recharge your energy. This, surprisingly, creates the deepest, most emotional multiplayer one can experience as it does away with any fears of player aggression, rage-quits, racism, or any other elements you'd typically find in an online game. Not only does this limited communication eliminate those hindrances, but it also somehow enhances gameplay by making your singing the sole output for your emotion. There hasn't been a single playthrough where I have not understood what my traveling companion was trying to convey.

People often bemoan the fact that Journey is only an hour and a half long, and to them I have to ask if they truly understood what the game was doing. A movie of the same length can take up to six years to create and people gladly pay 12$ for a movie ticket, yet they feel 'cheated' by paying 15$ for the most emotional and stirring experience a game could ever bring you simply because "it's so short". Journey's key strength isn't in how it plays, but rather in how it feels and the impact left on your mind after it's all over.

Obviously, this is not a title for everyone. Many have written reviews about how they "just don't get it" or "fell for the hype", and it's regrettable to say that there are going to be people out there who simply won't feel the impact of this experience for whatever reason. To everyone else, people who want to experience art and emotion and music and a deep, primal connection to other people, go buy Journey now.
  10. Sep 4, 2012
    Este juego es una obra maestra, un juego sencillo y a la vez cautivante, una dirección artística de altísimo nivel, una OST perfectamente adecuado y bueno, no hay que olvidar su sencillo online, que hace el juego mas interesante... ya que siempre jugarás con alguien que no conoces y ni conocerás al menos que pases el juego..
  11. Sep 8, 2012
    I was rather skeptic when a friend told me about Journey, hearing that it is not really a game.
    But I decided to check it out and I wasn't disappointed. It is truly *different*. There really is no gameplay in the traditional sense. It is more about exploring, watching, listening - *feeling*. Journey offers a unique style in visuals, combined with gentle sounds and an absolutely breathtaking soundtrack.
    I really don't want to go into what happens since you need to see it for yourself. Let me just say that Journey was the first game in the last decade that managed to make me tear up a few times. Not due to sadness but happiness. This game is art and beauty.

Journey is not a game, it's an experience.
  12. Feb 21, 2013
    Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão,Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão, não apenas para jogar, mas algo filosófico. Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2012
    rilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the gamerilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the game being overhyped and me setting expectations that it was not supposed to achieve. So I waited until a day where I had nothing better to do and gave it shot. BEST CHOICE EVER. Immediately I was drawn in by the visuals in the sand (it looks too real), but confused and not quite sure what my goal was. So I wandered, was rewarded, and looked to do it again. Every step of the way was an iteration on the previous levels mechanics and visual offerings, to a point where I thought I had reached the coolest part of the game. Well? Nope, I was wrong the next level was even better, and the one after that better than the previous. The mood fluctuated and avoided a continuously upbeat feeling, but still was able to deliver visually and from a gameplay side better than the previous level. The music is fantastic and very much tied to my characters actions, and I would highly recommend playing with the volume up a lot extra(I won't lie, [spoiler] I was scared **** the first time one of the rock creatures rose from the ground near me Expand
  14. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to playFor such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game. It's got great music, great and stunning graphics, the co-op feature is just amazing. I mean not knowing who you will run into, what gender or how old they are is fun. I met someone that stuck with me through chapter 1 all the way to chapter 6. They distracted the big monster in chapter 5. I noticed most people didn't like the ending, well I think it ended that way because the creator wanted the players to create their own ending to the game. I just love the wonderful music in this game and the game itself! If you have a PS3, or your friend even. Go out and try this game, you'll love it for sure especially if you love slow paced games where you can just stop and take a deep breath...Well expect in Chapter 5...My heart was racing. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a solid, decent game. The graphics are as good, if not better than anything the major studios put out. The soundtrack is amazing and the progression is straight forward. It is about two hours in length and costs around $10 - 15 bucks. Journey, however, feels a little over-hyped. Definitely a good game, but not game of the year material. It is cool the developers created a gameThis is a solid, decent game. The graphics are as good, if not better than anything the major studios put out. The soundtrack is amazing and the progression is straight forward. It is about two hours in length and costs around $10 - 15 bucks. Journey, however, feels a little over-hyped. Definitely a good game, but not game of the year material. It is cool the developers created a game different from the norm in an amazing way. Definitely worth a play through, but not much beyond that. Expand
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    Beautiful. That is the best way to describe this game. Whether the player had an emotional reaction or just an appreciation for the visual and audio art all comes down to preference. And that's what's so special about this game.
  18. Feb 8, 2013
    Okay, I really don't understand this one. Being a gamer for the past 25 years, I don't understand people telling this game is perfect or close to perfect... Okay it's beautiful and emotive by moments, but no real story, no voice acting, no combat, nothing happens, reaaaaaally slow...
  19. Oct 21, 2014
    I will give this game the credit it is due: It is utterly gorgeous. I have yet to see more impressive visuals (that aren't pre-rendered cut scenes.) I truly understand why so many people seem to be gob-smacked by this game. The play style is also a breath of fresh air, so different from many other titles out there and not afraid to be a bit different.

With that said, it took me a while

With that said, it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on. There is no spoken or text narration. The game is narrated by the visuals (would have been nice if that was more obvious from the start.) At first the game feels a little directionless with little point to it just allot of "Ooooo, pretty colors" moments. But as you scurry along you realize that you are involuntarily following a predetermined path. It felt pretty cool at first as the game does mask its linearity pretty well, but once you notice it, you notice it (only a spoiler if you're a complete moron.)

If anything, Journey is nothing more than an interactive visual tech demo in a sort of storybook-ish format.

Overall:
    I do have to say that this game is highly overrated for what it is when looked at as a game. But still, it is gorgeous and does deserve recognition for that alone, it's just a real shame that there isn't more to it.
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    This is not just a game - it's a masterpiece game industry, developers should be commended .. I spit on Battlefield 3 and Crysis .. I think that you have the same opinion.
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Amazing, Truly amazing. If the mysterious story can't keep you hooked then the sandy and beautiful environment will. Endless re playability and really nice drop in-drop out co-op system.
  22. Mar 5, 2014
    Its not much of a game and more move in a straight line and look at pretty colors world. Its saving grace is that it is extremely short and gets out of the way before it can get mind numbing and boring. There are much more exciting indie projects out there that are actually games. Like Trine, Braid, Limbo that all have gameplay to backup nice looking graphics.
  23. Mar 18, 2013
    Disappointed, bored and anti-climatic are all word I would use to describe this game. I got into it a bit and was truly scared, wowed and what-not, but I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for something magical to happen. I understand the point of the game is to underline the importance of a journey and not just the destination, but I was wanting to be done with the game and atDisappointed, bored and anti-climatic are all word I would use to describe this game. I got into it a bit and was truly scared, wowed and what-not, but I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for something magical to happen. I understand the point of the game is to underline the importance of a journey and not just the destination, but I was wanting to be done with the game and at the same time hoping something worthwhile was going to happen at the end. There are a few parts that are fun and engaging, but mostly this game is just boring. The graphics are good, but nothing amazing compared to other games. This game gets compared to Unfinished Swan. That game is high quality, this game is blah. Unfinished Swan has a real ending and leaves you feeling complete and successful. Journey does neither. I really don't want to play thru Journey again, but when you finish a game and only get 1 trophy, you're left to just wonder what you were supposed to do to get more trophies and think maybe I played the game the wrong way? I liked meeting other players, but found that aspect very confusing. Generally playing a game in a way that the developers wanted you to play gets you the most trophies, but I'm just confused. I can appreciate that this game is language and culture diagnostic, but it gives up all identity with it. There's reason to care about the traveler, but there's little understanding on where you going and why. This game is too short, too bland, too boring and I'm sad that I paid double for this than I paid for Unfinished Swan. Different experiences on playstation keep things fresh, but this is just underwhelming. If there wasn't so much hype, I would have enjoyed the game more. The hype kinda destroyed it, because I wanted an award winning experience. Telling me that this game is better than Unfinished Swan, Batman, Sound Shapes, Uncharted 3, Ghost Recon, Max Payne and the like is just false. Expand
  24. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the needMark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the need of a huge budget or luxuries AAA titles are given, they have proven that games indeed are art.
    Thomas Merton once said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” Journey made people drown in creativity and be lost within a painting. We wondered what was next, we became attached to this cloaked figure that we knew nothing about and more we learned his story with him the closer we got to him. This journey, set in the most beautiful world in gaming I’ve ever seen, heard or felt, is what gaming is all about; living the experience.
  25. Jun 22, 2013
    I decied to give this a try after all the praise it was receiving and it's easy to see why. Immediately when you start the game you are taken in by the beautiful art style and graphics. Your nameless character then gets up and you move towards the mountain in the distance. Movement in this game is so fluid, your character flows and glides over every sand dune. Thingts get even better whenI decied to give this a try after all the praise it was receiving and it's easy to see why. Immediately when you start the game you are taken in by the beautiful art style and graphics. Your nameless character then gets up and you move towards the mountain in the distance. Movement in this game is so fluid, your character flows and glides over every sand dune. Thingts get even better when you meet another player though. You will join into a match unknowingly and seamlessly and not being able to communicate with a player except with pings from your character is an interesting multiplayer mechanic that I would love to see more of. The game probably is a bit short though which us one of my only criticisms. The best way to play the game is in one uninterupted sitting, just open your mind and absorb yourself in the visuals and the game and take away your own interpretation of the story. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most immersive games I have played in my life. This game is the perfect example why I love video games. Music, graphics, game experience: everything is great. Thanks so much ThatGameCompany!!!
  27. Feb 4, 2015
    Though Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional videoThough Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional video game and it certainly acts more like an art project or cinematic experience than a gaming experience, however, there’s much, much more gameplay elements than we witnessed in Flower: the controls and camera are smooth—however, the inclusion of the motion control camera seems unnecessary and at its worst, distracting; it’s easy and has a duration of about 90 minutes if you play it straight through, but once you realize that every single cutscene, design, and overall detail is well warranted and the complete erasure of any filler, it’s definitely necessary and only makes the impact more well-deserved than it already is. And at last, it’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played—and I’m taking into account games like 2001’s Ico, 2005’s Shadow of the Colossus, 2006’s Ōkami, and many, many more. From the animation of the sand to the vibrant design of the creatures made of cloth, it’s a testament to just how visually stunning a video game can be, comparable to that of an art film. And the soundtrack, composed by Austin Wintory, is couldn’t be any more of a greater fit, how it’s timed and how it syncs into every single moment like a puzzle piece, the Grammy nomination was obviously earned. It’s certainly not an experience everyone will find joyous, however, besides the emotional impact Journey left on me, I have revisited the game multiple times already—the multiplayer experience is a one-of-a-kind and just factors into the emotions, it’s one of the most rewarding co-op experiences I’ve ever witnessed. The Trophies are easily earned yet exciting to collect and once you collect your White Robe after earning the Transcendence Trophy, you’ll be jumping with joy if you’re anymore of a fan than I am. If I’m overrating Journey, it’s because of complete bias, but even outside of a personal experience, it’s not surprising how much acclaim it initially received and how much of a legacy it’s generated since its release. It’s also not surprising that it has its fair share of criticism, but it’s baron in comparison to the many, many positive factors implemented into the experience. It’s one of the shortest epics out there, but it’s damn sure one hell of a memorable one.

Overall rating: 10

+Beautiful visuals
    +Beautiful soundtrack
    +Best co-op multiplayer experience in years
    +Excellent controls, camera, and no filler
    -Short
    -Motion control camera can be an annoyance
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is very different from what we are used to & is a truly unique experience I will always remember.
    Journey proves that we don't always need weapons, blood or fights to have a good time. I personally loved the non dialogue approach, which has absolutely no negative impact on the story. It feels very relaxing, just like a spiritual meditation session, lost in a desert, guided buy the wind, with the help of magic carpets.

The intensity of silence & music, will reveal in you a sense of goodness, hope & achievement. The refinement & artistry of the visuals transport you to a world where you are secure, in peace, no matter what obstacle you encounter. Graphics, while always important, here more than ever, help you to appreciate & enjoy the game even more. The main character looks simple, its minimalist design is a perfect example that less is more. Even the sand is very shiny & quite impressive on its own.

If you are a sensitive person, it should get through your emotions in a way that it is touching. Though usually not a fan of online gaming, I have to admit that having a companion along the way was comforting.
    The ending, we walk through a sanctuary of light, our minds free with the certitude that we accomplished everything when passing away. It's true that the game is not so challenging, but if you understood well, it obviously was not the main goal. Thanks for introducing an outstanding concept & gameplay, maybe showing the path to a new gaming style era? All I can say is that I hope there will be a second & ''longer'' JOURNEY, this idea deserves further exploration, we want more!

Unfortunately, the game is way too short but that is the only bad thing to mention. If developers took the time to make such a memorable piece of art, they should have also taken the time to make it last longer.
    Of course nothing lasts forever but one thing is for sure, we don't want this Journey to end after only 2 or 3 hours. For that reason, I'm forced to lower the rating to 7 on 10, even if I thought it was amazing.
  29. Aug 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I was playing Journey, I was constantly trying to put my finger on what I loved so much about it. Here I was, walking about and occasionally tapping O, with a little bit of X thrown in sporadically. Not much in the way of gameplay, I realised. But that, I began to realise near the end, was the point: Journey plays out a bit like a film: you sit back and passively consume the events that happen within the experience. It's just so relaxing to sit back and watch the scenery, seeing the lovely patterns that are created in the sand as you walk. I would elaborate more on why this game is such a joy to experience, but I'll sum it up with one word: subtlety. Expand
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    This game is simply inspiring, as Flower was. A must to play, alone and in company. Remarkable BSO. Waiting for more works from this crew. Congratulations.
  31. Aug 27, 2014
    It was a damn shame this game was so short because when it comes to experiences, this was a beautiful one and, despite it's length, you can tell the developers put as much effort into creating one of the most visually stunning games of the year.
  32. Apr 11, 2016
    Are you are tired of gaming? Has your interest in gaming been dulled over time with the endless games that are just the same but in a different clothing? Or are you just plain fed up of all that DLC and penny pinching that is plaguing the industry these days? Then let me tell you, you need this game!
  33. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  34. ALB
    Oct 23, 2013
    Journey is an adventurous game with scenic visuals to represent the aesthetic criteria. The story line is sweet and simple. The controls are simple and the gameplay is smooth.

The most recognized con(s) of Journey is the fact that one can simply finish the entire game within an hour or less. Although Journey consists of several trophies to encourage the player to keep on playing, the entire game can still be easily finished. In fact, all the trophies (except for one trophy: Return) can be obtained in a single run for the first time if you follow a walkthrough or you're being guided by a player who's experienced.

Therefore, it is better to play Journey solo without any companion for the first time. That way, you can solve the puzzles on your own, which aren't difficult, for the game tends to guide you when playing solo. Thus, it is better to discover the many hidden symbols on your own than to follow a walkthrough or be guided by an experienced player. It better to play the game solo for the first time.

Overall, Journey certainly represents beautiful visuals that's eye-catching. The controls are fluidly smooth. The story line is short, but satisfying enough to give off an impression of completion on your journey towards the main goal. Although Journey does not have much to do after completing and achieving everything within the game, it is worth playing for those who are looking for a fresh, new, simple game. Although the price may be considered 'overpriced' to many (I strongly agree to this con), the price may go down sometime in the future.
  35. Mar 4, 2014
    Do you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you seeDo you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you see the ending for the first time, you'll understand what it is all about, so the story will become really touching for you. Warning: if you are a sensitive person, you could cry at the ending (maybe you will not during your first game, but you could in some subsequent replay). Besides, even though you'll like the soundtrack the first time you hear it, you will absolutely love it from the second or third time you play, when you already know it. Third, playing online guarantees that the experience will never be exactly the same. Players have created a kind of in-game tradition where (most of) skillful players help noobs, so surely you will develop some kind of emotional link towards some of your game mates. Helping an online player is not the same as giving you a kidney, sure, but this kind of anonymous help makes you believe a little bit more in the humankind. Isn't it rare in videogames? Play Journey a few times and someday you will draw hearts on the snow. You don't understand me? You will. Expand
  36. Apr 28, 2014
    This isn't so much a game as an experience. This stands alone in stark contrast to every game being made now. A beautiful, profound, and emotional experience, this is worth every dollar of its price despite its short completion time.
  37. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Perfectly designed, paced, and conceived, and does not overstay its welcome
    + Visually stunning, with some creatively unmatched graphics solutions for its console generation
    + Fun drop-in co-op system with some aesthetically interesting ramifications
    ? In some aspects puts its form before its function in a way that some might not find engaging
  38. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The graphics are some of the best for an arcade title. Journey probably has the most realistic sand in a video game, and snow. 10.

Sound: Soundtrack is amazing and emotional. It can also put you to sleep. 10. Gameplay: The game consists of exploration, and at times you’ll meet up with another fellow journey player. You work together to get through the journey. While

Sound: Soundtrack is amazing and emotional. It can also put you to sleep. 10.

Gameplay: The game consists of exploration, and at times you’ll meet up with another fellow journey player. You work together to get through the journey. While there is no main goal, the game is linear at the start, and after you finish the game, you may return to previous areas. Again, no main goal, but you are pointed towards this mountain that you head towards throughout the game. You can fly around as long as you get energy from certain scarfs, or if you continuously communicate with another player. Communication is a simple sound (sounds like a music note), it can be charged up to reveal or charge up objects. Further in the game you begin to fly around and the game becomes faster paced, there are some stealth parts in the game, but the punishment for getting caught isn’t much. You cannot die in the game, but if you do get hit by enemies your scarf decreases. The game is more of an interactive art rather than your average game. It is enjoyable but I can see this type of game having a lot more enjoyment, rather than a game where you’re constantly walking from point A to B. This game should have more punishment like death for failing. Platforming can be more intense, give a reason to make sure you don’t mess up besides having to climb back up. Boss fights? This game had the potential to be some much bigger, even on a Shadow of the Colloseus level, but instead again it’s more of an interactive art. 7.

Story: I didn’t understand it, most of the cutscenes showed what seemed to be a leader of all the scarfed people, but I can’t really say. Either way it was uninteresting, or besides looking artistic, it was bland and boring. 5.

Lasting Appeal/Value: I beat the game in a little over 2 hours; this game is on the market for $15 which is an unreasonable price. While I did enjoy the experience, this game definitely should have been cheaper. As for other websites giving this game the game of the year, and praising/hyping it, it really doesn’t deserve it. Flower was more interesting than Journey. I will say though that the meeting of another player where no real communication happens yet you work so well together is indeed an amazing experience. 8.

Overall Score: 8 out of 10.
  39. Jul 30, 2014
    Never expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play forNever expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play for all PS3 owners. 9/10 Expand
  40. Dec 25, 2013
    Journey is an absolutely beautiful and well crafted game. It makes you feel like you are on a grand adventure and you forget you are really playing a video-game. A definite must have for any Playstation 3 owner.
  41. Dec 8, 2013
    I did not like this game. I got it and it took about 2 hours to download and then another hour to process and after that it didn't even work. Ridiculous and not worth your time. Don't get it. Enough said.
  42. Jan 19, 2014
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  43. Jul 12, 2014
    who made this game? i want to kiss him hahaha, i have been played videogames since atari 2600 and all i have to say is this is one of the best games i ever played in my life is beautifull is smart, make you feel awesome is one f the best games ever, everybody in the world have to play this game, this game is ART love it, the game have a meaning is all about evolution about to find thewho made this game? i want to kiss him hahaha, i have been played videogames since atari 2600 and all i have to say is this is one of the best games i ever played in my life is beautifull is smart, make you feel awesome is one f the best games ever, everybody in the world have to play this game, this game is ART love it, the game have a meaning is all about evolution about to find the light the peace the maximun expresio of your soul thats abut journey thats the meaning that i found, if you dont understand this game sorry youre dumb Expand
  44. Mar 6, 2014
    Este es un comentario largo, pero le aseguro al lector que no se va a arrepentir si lo atiende:
    Este juego es la alegoría perfecta del significado de viajar. Yo en lo personal he tenido mucha experiencia viajando por distintos sitios y me he conectado realmente con este juego. Tal como en la vida, que hay gente q conoces viajando, completos extraños que con el tiempo se pueden volver parte de ti o simplemente alejarse, pero q a fin de cuentas formaron parte de un momento en tu vida. Un viaje en el juego del cual no sabes claramente a donde vas o para que, simplemente con la promesa de un final, justo como en la vida. He leído criticas de otros usuarios, quienes comprueban con sus argumentos negativos su falta de experiencia en el mundo pues solo han conocido lo q hay a su alrededor, sin embargo, cuando abran sus alas y conozcan lo que hay afuera sabrán quizás que significa este juego. :)
  45. Jan 9, 2015
    This was the first game I played on PS3 and I have to say, it's magnificent!

Pros:
    Stunning Visuals
    Excellent Soundtrack
    Desert Slide Section

Cons:
    Puzzle Elements are poorly implemented and are unnecessary

Journey is a really compelling game that will go through video game history, but I wish thatgamecompany made it more of an experience than an actual game.

46. Mar 17, 2014
    Un juego que te transporta a lo mas profundo de los sentimientos. Emotivo, bonito, precioso... un juego que sorprende a la vista y te deja llevar por un mundo minimalista y zen.
  47. May 31, 2014
    "Journey" is not only a game, it's an emotional adventure. With animations that are just stunning and a game play that keeps you invested, without saying any words. This game is just beautiful and will have you thinking about it after you finish playing.
  48. Mar 25, 2014
    I'm so glad I was introduced to this gorgeous game. The gameplay, artwork, and the soundtrack especially are all hauntingly beautiful. Journey doesn't strive to be a very difficult or long game. Instead, it's an immersive experience. It has the most interesting co-op experience by far that I gone through. It was just really touching knowing that I had a companion going through the sameI'm so glad I was introduced to this gorgeous game. The gameplay, artwork, and the soundtrack especially are all hauntingly beautiful. Journey doesn't strive to be a very difficult or long game. Instead, it's an immersive experience. It has the most interesting co-op experience by far that I gone through. It was just really touching knowing that I had a companion going through the same trials, even though I couldn't communicate to him/her with words. Expand
  49. Apr 11, 2014
    Absolutely breathtaking. In this current generation of gaming, where dominance, victory and violence seems to be the accepted way to "connect" with other players, Journey by thatgamecompany sheds new perspective with its unique multiplayer experience.

Sure, when play through the game on your own, its makes for a satisfying experience, but with the second character coming in, it takes it to another level.

Excellent music by Austin Wintory. Worthy to be nominated for a Grammy award (It's a pity it didn't win).

Gameplay will probably be around 1-2 hrs, but you WILL have memories that will last you a lifetime. : )
  50. Aug 7, 2015
    A mysterious, spiritual and strange game. But a surprisingly enjoyable adventure. It is different than other games. It is if you are dreaming during your sleep. You find yourself in strange places. With strange carpets? papers? (I dont know what they are actually) that can help you.And your journey continues towards somekind of special mountain. You dont really have enemies to fight andA mysterious, spiritual and strange game. But a surprisingly enjoyable adventure. It is different than other games. It is if you are dreaming during your sleep. You find yourself in strange places. With strange carpets? papers? (I dont know what they are actually) that can help you.And your journey continues towards somekind of special mountain. You dont really have enemies to fight and you cant really get killed.When I first started the game it looked a bit dull for the first 15 minutes, but travelling further it became better and better. And I have to say that the game is something special. It is (like said by others), at moments really a stunning audiovisual experience. This game leaves everything to your own interpretation. But it appears eventually to be a spriritual game where you try to find your path to devotion, God and heaven. The great sounds and visuals lead to a mysterious enjoyable atmosphere. The games drawbacks are its limited saving options (only autosave from your last adventure as far as I know ) and unfortunately limited content (about 2.5 hours). But it is still good value for money. A special game that is different than any other game you played in your lifetime. I give it a 85 score. Expand
  51. Jun 26, 2014
    An amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer youAn amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer you are you really need to sit down for 2 hours of your life and play through Journey. 10/10 Expand
  52. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This takes place across the remains of a long, lost planet. You find yourself in the most peculiar places - from scavenging a-top the highly reflective grains of golden sand, through the arctic winds of a snowy and desolate land to soaring whimsically above the clouds and into the butt-cheeks of the sky. With rare encounters along the way, you search for answers and discover that a force has existed so great above these very clouds, mysteriously uncovering the means of providing everlasting power to the land, and your origin below. The true story lies within your inquisitions during this adventure.

This is a journey - there is no destination...
  53. Jun 16, 2014
    This game is beautiful and an amazing Journey that I loved. The game is a piece of art, but it will be dull to some, if you only fokus on the gameplay. This game is not played but explored and experienced. the details like the sand and the snow are so cool and pretty and the game had me wondering, cheering, laughing, and much more. In the game you Can play online (you don't have to) andThis game is beautiful and an amazing Journey that I loved. The game is a piece of art, but it will be dull to some, if you only fokus on the gameplay. This game is not played but explored and experienced. the details like the sand and the snow are so cool and pretty and the game had me wondering, cheering, laughing, and much more. In the game you Can play online (you don't have to) and you meet Luther players where you have an interesting connection between the two of you and it is awesome and different.
    I loved the game so much I gave an applause and I have never done that before. Everybody should try This game
  54. Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe my favorite game of all times.
    Poetic, visually gorgeous, incredible soundtrack, innovative coop play, simple and just gameplay... A game that every video-game detractor should see.
  55. Jul 7, 2014
    Very good game.

The good - really good game. It's one of those things that you have to experience for yourself, words don't even do it justice. Think of it as a really good art film - which means no overt violence or sexualized characters. Great for gamers with kids in the household too. The bad - the game is very short - 3 hours-ish short. Even when you shoot for all the trophies
    Very good game.

The bad - the game is very short - 3 hours-ish short. Even when you shoot for all the trophies (which I don't usually go for), it's still over too soon.
  56. Jul 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying this game is my game of the year for 2012. But it's not for everyone.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and wondrous tale through its amazing and peaceful score. You play as robed being in the middle of the desert and your objective is clear. Reach the top of a mountain in the very distant background. There is absolutely no voice acting or violence in the game. But, that doesn't take the charm and beauty away from this game.

As you slide down the gorgeous sand dunes listening to the amazing score, others players will simultaneously join you on your adventure. The only way you can communicate with the other player is pressing circle which makes a very unique and peasant sound.

The only negative thing I can say about this game is that it's only an hour and half, two hours max.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and innovative. This game shows that video games don't need violence or voice acting to be a fantastic game. This game is one of the best I've ever played.
  57. Aug 1, 2014
    Right up there with Flower, this is one of my favorite PS3 games out there. There are no words but the story is told through fantastic visuals and wonderful music that pulls at the heartstrings. You go through your character's life passage and (should you play online) their intersections with others as you grow and learn and change.

You wake up in the beginning alone and surrounded by

You wake up in the beginning alone and surrounded by miles of burning, sprawling desert, and soon discover the looming mountain top which is your goal. Ahead of you there are endless sand dunes, ancient ruins, caves and howling winds, and eventually the stinging cold and snow. Your passage will not be an easy one. And although the goal is to get to the mountaintop, you have almost infinite room to explore and wander the endless beauty of the desert either alone or with a stranger you meet along the way as you soar above ruins and glide across sands while discovering the secrets of a forgotten civilization through murals and sit downs with statues that show you their story and how you fit in....your purpose, who you are.

Each player may take something different from the game but I felt it told the story of life and it has wonderful replay value as not only can you get different trophies you'll continuously find new things and eventually get the white robe to don yourself. This also makes good use of the 6-axis control on the PS3 remote and continues to be a breathtaking experience each time I play. GREAT game...
  58. Aug 23, 2014
    This game is by far one of the most unique and beautiful gaming experiences I have ever had. The controls flow seamlessly, the story is wonderful, and the visual eclectic appeal of the game is absolutely mind-blowing. It is hands down one of the most gorgeous and important games ever made and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
  59. Aug 2, 2015
    What an amazing audiovisual experience, what an incredibly talented developer! I suggest these guys should work with icelandic Band Sigur Ros, that would definitely make a great collaboration!
  60. Jan 11, 2017
    Hay muchos lanzamientos que son catalogados como experiencias en lugar de videojuegos. Buscando con esta definición otorgarle un valor que no se corresponde con los productos recordados por todos como grandes videojuegos. Normalmente la gente lo utiliza para referirse, de forma despectiva, a aquellos juegos que no consideran correcto su precio por alejarse de los estándares.

Sin estar

Sin estar más en desacuerdo por esta absurda disputa, Journey no solo es un magnífico juego. Se trata ademas de una experiencia notable. Tiene el impacto visual y sonoro que necesita, las mecánicas, el feeling, el ritmo y la duración adecuada. Hay pocas cosas que sobren o que falten.

Personalmente, el guión no me ha impactado tanto como lo ha hecho con otras personas. Y aunque no lo haya hecho, si que me parece un notable claro en este apartado. Es tanta la personalidad que tiene Journey, es tanta su calidad como producto, tan mimado en sus detalles y tan bonito, que es una experiencia para recordar con creces. Y uno de los mejores juegos de PS3.
  61. Oct 13, 2014
    "Journey" was full of surprises for me. Somehow I thought the whole game would take place in the desert, and because I don't like deserts, I was somewhat hesitant at first. But I was proven wrong by "thatgamecompany" in terms of limited environment and climate.

It has beautiful graphics. Especially the lighting is outstanding. The environment responds to your movements and actions, and the interaction with the NPC is really fluid. The soundtracks are fitting, though some felt rather dull. The partner based multiplayer is well implemented, and it feels really great to go through the whole journey with the same partner. At times you teach each other, show hidden paths to symbols and glyphs.

What really makes "Journey" such a jaw-dropping experience must be the pacing. In my opinion, the progression of the events makes the game truly similar to "real life". The game doesn't hold your hand, even though there's no complex puzzles whatsoever, you have to figure out what you have to do on your on if a partner does not guide you, which makes it a joy to explore and observe.

Recommended for: People looking for a relaxing, enlightening and peaceful experience.
  62. Nov 13, 2014
    I hate calling games an experience. It's basically a buzzword at this point. Games should be about gameplay, about challenge and overcoming obstacles. This game took my prejudices and slapped them into my face.
    Journey makes you feel. It talks to you without talking. It tells a story without telling. It's simple, and that makes it great.
  63. Dec 3, 2014
    10.

Anyone and everyone can enjoy this classic.

The story is phenomenal and open to interpretation. The visuals are stunning. The metaphors are everywhere and it challenges the idea of online gaming.

64. Mar 9, 2015
    What I have to say to this game if it was sentient **** YOU!". That being said this game escapes me for words, I will damn try to though! First off story ... There you go! Ok but seriously the story is the best thing about this game and is the best way to tell a story and that is through silence, you are given only backstory of the event that have led up to the world but even then it'sWhat I have to say to this game if it was sentient **** YOU!". That being said this game escapes me for words, I will damn try to though! First off story ... There you go! Ok but seriously the story is the best thing about this game and is the best way to tell a story and that is through silence, you are given only backstory of the event that have led up to the world but even then it's shown not told and it's up to you to interpret it in your own way, so for me: There was light that created life, soon little Sprites (as I want to call them) use the light to create and they made giant civilizations and striving for more light, when they reached to the Heavens though the light abandoned them an with no light the Sprites fought over what remained, soon war raged against one another the desert becoming a sea of graves thousands upon thousands laid to waste and soon nothing but silence remained, but then one day the light did come back and with it you were born, and now it's up to you to write what happens next. Everything else is up to you, this game from me get's high praises as something of a new piece of art since I am an artist (humble brag) able to convey emotions through music and visuals. That being said it should be played by people who think critically or are thinking about going into art, fun is something to be had here when you find a companion (they're random) to share in your experience creating a strange friendship with multiple stories to tell out of this. But again it's up to you since there is no definite story to this game and it' for you to interpret.

Simply put: This game is up there with the best, and no I will not get off this emotional pain train.
  65. Jan 9, 2015
    The one truly unique gaming experience you will have this year. Buy it and play it as soon as you can. The game is stunningly beautiful and the score is a once in a lifetime experience. You will not regret this purchase -- unless you hate fun and happiness...
  66. Apr 20, 2017
    Very cool idea of a game and you have to play it online to enjoy the full experience because that's how the game was originally meant to be played. You will have a magical and fun journey that you will remember for a long time.

Good music and art style and the idea of the game is whats makes it so unique from any other game.
  67. Jan 26, 2015
    I don't even know what to say , i was just bored and decided to play this game , i didn't really know why i bought it but i ended up loving every single moment of it . This is one of the weirdest and yet best games , after i finished it i felt like i went through an amazing journey -as the title indicates-i suggest this to everyone , even hardcore gamers should try it and see what i'mI don't even know what to say , i was just bored and decided to play this game , i didn't really know why i bought it but i ended up loving every single moment of it . This is one of the weirdest and yet best games , after i finished it i felt like i went through an amazing journey -as the title indicates-i suggest this to everyone , even hardcore gamers should try it and see what i'm talking about , i'm literally struggling to find a flaw on it because i don't like giving 10 as a score but i'll have to make an exception here ! Expand
  68. Feb 22, 2015
    This game was truly an amazing experience and the best PS Exclusive I have played to date. The length of the game did not bother me at all, I actually think its the perfect length for a game like this.
  69. May 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. fantastic game. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it............ Expand
  70. Mar 11, 2015
    I was cautiously optimistic as I prepared to play Journey for the first time. There were so many glowing reviews by game journalists that I could not discount its quality, however I wasn't completely convinced of its greatness and so approached it with hope and a slight amount of pessimism.

There have been many defining moments with video games that I've experienced in my life. The joy and wonder of discovering likes of Pac Man and Centipede in the arcade as a five-year-old. As I grew up and video games changed, my horizons opened up with the possibility for adventure in The Legend of Zelda on the NES. Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Doom and Half Life. Each of these represented major evolutional steps in video games. Exploration, adventure, 3D worlds, immersion, storytelling. I look back fondly on all of those experiences but in doing so realized that as the years have gone by these types of moments came with less frequency and impact. I love games such as Mario Galaxy, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim. I can appreciate the mind-blowing quality and depth of these games but they don't stack up to the experiences of my youth with, arguably, vastly inferior games.

It only took a short time with Journey to come to the realization that I was experiencing something that I had been missing for many years. Chills ran down my spine. My pulse quickened. I was enthralled. It was not immediate but grew like a wave, building slowly and consistently until the wave broke in a crescendo that was moving and awe-inspiring that left me speechless and teary-eyed. I had not been affected like this in years and perhaps ever.

Journey is an experience that is a privilege to partake in. It evokes a range of emotions from joy and wonder to fear and heartbreak. The visuals are a sight to behold. It is simple, but not simplistic. It will make you ponder life, friendship, love, loss and triumph. Journey deserves to be experienced.
  71. Mar 12, 2015
    the game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and playthe game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and play with wonder and awe. Expand
  72. May 11, 2015
    The game doesn't want you to fight the enemy to dozens of you. The game is all he wants to do well, you should continue to progress. The graphics are really great. Experience has to be one of the games.
  73. Oct 14, 2016
    Awesome experience with an stuning art direction, scenary and soundtrack.
    A non-talking experience trough an immersive journey, finding random players who travel alongside you.
  74. Nov 16, 2015
    that is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you couldthat is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you could not play it for hours, so it's just right in my opinion. maybe it should be a little more fun to play, it should be more interesting exploring such beautiful places, a little more sophisticated gameplay and eventually a little longer. Expand
  75. Nov 19, 2016
    I downloaded Journey for free on PSN and enjoyed it quite a bit. The game is very easy to complete, but the story keeps you wondering. A nice touch that you can meet other players along your journey. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for this game, but well worth a free download.
  76. Jun 23, 2016
    A cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates anA cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates an experience like no other you might have with a stranger. If this game was reduced to its bare basics to walk to the light and the game was over, it would be above average; however, add the element of online multiplayer along with the intense dramatics at varying points throughout the game and you have a masterpiece, one that elicits deep, real emotions and a search for the metaphorical meaning of what you have experienced in these two hours. Expand
  77. Sep 20, 2016
    It has a unique gameplay, sadly short (about 2 or 3 hours) but definitely worth playing. online experience is nice too, although you can finish the game in offline mode.
  78. Dec 6, 2016
    Journey is by far the best game that I have ever played. Never before has a game given me such a strong emotional response and attachment than Journey has. The graphics and music are stunning, the game mechanics are fluid and fun (especially the flying aspect of the game). But more so than that, what really draws me back to Journey week after week is the fact that you make an emotionalJourney is by far the best game that I have ever played. Never before has a game given me such a strong emotional response and attachment than Journey has. The graphics and music are stunning, the game mechanics are fluid and fun (especially the flying aspect of the game). But more so than that, what really draws me back to Journey week after week is the fact that you make an emotional connection with other players. It is very relaxing to play Journey after a long work day, and to be able to help out or travel along with an anonymous companion. I've purchased triple A titles and spent close to $50 on other PS4 games before, but none of them captivated me as much as Journey did, and I still continue to play Journey even after a year of owning it. Expand
  79. May 27, 2017
    Journey is a unique experience in all senses, and one of the greatest indie video games ever made. i do not know if it deserves a perfect mark, but the sensation that remains when you finish it is definitely that of a flawless game.

The artistic design is breathtaking and the different landscapes look incredible even on PS3. The music also fits quite well, and the vital message beneath is beautiful indeed. As many good pieces of art do, Journey suggests and evokes emotions. Concerning gameplay, there are also some secrets to replay the game, and, above all, you can play the whole game online.

Regarding its supposed short length, I disagree with those saying that two hours is too little considering its price (I bought it when discounted, in any case). Journey lasts what it has to last, a short period of time; otherwise, the experience would not be the same. Playing it in just one session is precisely one of the best points, in my opinion. It makes no sense reviewing the game badly because of that.

Journey is really worth playing.
  80. Nov 28, 2013
    The most beautiful game I've ever played. A unique experience that totally worth playing.
    The games put you in an wide desert with another player (you can't know who is he until the end) and tell you a brilliant a story. Although there is no different paths to follow, the game fells very personal, because of the ambiguous game story itself and the your relation with the another player. The soundtrack is as good as it could be and there is no voice acting in the game. The game duration is just right for finishing the game in one sitting (2-4 hours).
    Just sit down, relax and enjoy this journey.

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]