Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. May 11, 2012
    Journey is an excellent game and deserves praise. Games can truly be art and this is an amazing example. Though short, it's all worth it. Instead of reading my opinion on it, go experience it yourself.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Yes, it's short. Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I loved it. I found it relaxing, fun and beautiful. It's not the perfect gaming experience but it is pretty close. It is a much needed change of pace and that's what makes it so special. I played through two or three times and then used the level select option to farm for a few more trophies. Highly recommended.
  3. May 11, 2012
    Very few games could be considered art. Journey is one of those games. It's not long, but the time spent with Journey is will provide feeling and emotions rarely seen in other games. The game is made by "thatgamecompany". And if you are familiar with some of their other games you will understand what I ment by a game being art. This time around it is more an adventure then you would findVery few games could be considered art. Journey is one of those games. It's not long, but the time spent with Journey is will provide feeling and emotions rarely seen in other games. The game is made by "thatgamecompany". And if you are familiar with some of their other games you will understand what I ment by a game being art. This time around it is more an adventure then you would find in the pervious games Flow or Flower. But still has a "thatgamecompany" feel. The game will run $14.99 which can be considered expensive for the length. But very few games will give you the same experience as Journey.

You will find yourself in a desert with no directions or given purpose, but a light off in the distance. Along your way you will encounter other characters with no name or information. But they soon will become your partner through thick or thing. Your only ways to communicate are "charms" your characters can give off. But it's surprising how much you can understand what your partner wants you to do. I would recommend going into this game with as little information as possible. Finding out this info is what makes the experience of Journey. If possible, try and play the game in one sitting. Try and clear a 2:30 to 3 hour time period.
  4. May 10, 2012
    It is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphicsIt is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphics are one of the best I have ever seen in a video game and in my opinion, might give Uncharted 3's graphics a run for its money and the online cooperative adds more emotional depth into the experience. Buy it, download it, experience it. Expand
  5. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one gameJourney was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Expand
  6. May 7, 2012
    This game shines not by lenght or by pure gameplay. Instead, it makes you reflect and enjoy the simples feelings defined as joy, friendship, curiosity, hardships and rewards. It is a game for those who apreciates an artistic-driven game, such as Ico or Shadow of Colossus. Journey takes you to beautiful landscapes and puzzles you with an intriguing story of a kingdom that let its selfishThis game shines not by lenght or by pure gameplay. Instead, it makes you reflect and enjoy the simples feelings defined as joy, friendship, curiosity, hardships and rewards. It is a game for those who apreciates an artistic-driven game, such as Ico or Shadow of Colossus. Journey takes you to beautiful landscapes and puzzles you with an intriguing story of a kingdom that let its selfish feelings become their own ultimate destruction - sadly reflecting our own possible future. You feel as a ghost or a humble child as you wander through the desolate - but amazing - ruins. Once in a while you can discover another "ghost" wandering the same landscape - and the multiplayer is all about forging bonds with your companion and understanding what they want and how they feel without the use of segregated things like languages. Music is enough. Who knows if we might sometime learn this lesson. Expand
  7. May 2, 2012
    Journey is a short game.But after beating the game , I can feel something different about the game.
    Special multiplayer experience make me feel like i am a wanderer , running and walking just to reach my destination.Graphic is one of the best and the price is cheap. Best downloable game ever !!!
  8. May 1, 2012
    Calling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey isCalling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey is a MUST BUY for any PS3 owner, whether its used as an entertainment title, or as a method to relax after a hard days work. Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2012
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  10. Apr 27, 2012
    Resumindo minha experiência neste jogo... de tão relaxante me encontrei dormindo no meio da jornada e quando despertei estava sentado, não sei ao certo na espera de algo ou de alguem, apenas adormeci e despertei, como poderia ter feito até o final... porem após o despertar veio a necessidade de termina-lo pois este breveResumindo minha experiência neste jogo... de tão relaxante me encontrei dormindo no meio da jornada e quando despertei estava sentado, não sei ao certo na espera de algo ou de alguem, apenas adormeci e despertei, como poderia ter feito até o final... porem após o despertar veio a necessidade de termina-lo pois este breve intervalo me serviu apenas ter a certeza que precisava termina-lo e terminei... não sei ao certo se jogarei de novo pois tambem não sei se minha jornada realmente chegou ao fim! To summarize my experience in this game ... so relaxing I found asleep in the middle of the day and when I awoke was sitting, I'm not sure waiting for something or someone, justfell asleep and awoke, as he could have until the end ... however after awakening came the need to finish it for this brief period I served only to make sure that needed to finish itand ended ... I'm not sure if it'll play again also does not really know if my journey is over!

*sorry! translation by google
  11. Apr 24, 2012
    I can't say that everyone will love this game but I think everyone should at least give it a chance. Not everyone is into conceptual games, and I can respect that.. but I think as far as conceptual games go, this game is just about as good as it gets. It's short, so your not investing a huge amount of time into it and you also enjoy every second of it. (In lots of other games, you findI can't say that everyone will love this game but I think everyone should at least give it a chance. Not everyone is into conceptual games, and I can respect that.. but I think as far as conceptual games go, this game is just about as good as it gets. It's short, so your not investing a huge amount of time into it and you also enjoy every second of it. (In lots of other games, you find them going to long and you just playing so you can get to the end, you don't find that in this game). Its beautiful both visually and audibly and is just fun and enjoyable to play though. If you've ever considered trying a conceptual "experience" game.. I would definitely suggest this is a great choice! 10/10 Expand
  12. Apr 22, 2012
    As authors said: this is not a game, it's an "experience". After completing it many times I can fully agree with this statement. The Journey is an artistic masterpiecie designed to move these tiny rusty gears which remain unused for most of the time inside our hearts. It brings out an unique feeling of longing for the Light: whatever the Light is...
  13. Apr 22, 2012
    Journey is a one-of-a-kind game, as you venture through with strangers, and no communicating whatsoever, except the chirping you have. So far, this is my top 2012 game pick.
  14. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Instead of explaining why the game is good like many others have already done, I am actually going to talk about one of my gaming experience with Journey. I believe the real success of this game is based upon YOUR interaction with it, instead of relying so heavily on the game telling you what to do. The game is linear in a way, but with the experience of your Journey being different each time, the replayability of this game is staggering.

I knew that this game was beautiful the moment I took my first step. The sand is so detailed, and every step you make causes a little "splash"; like water. After walking up a large dune and experiencing an incredible piece of cinematography, I slid down the other side, shamefully letting out a little "weeeeeee!" noise going down. I then noticed a twinkle in the distance, a little beacon that screamed "Come Here!" at me. So I followed it, and found out the twinkling ball of light is, in essence, a power-up, giving you a piece of scarf, which allows you to jump (and float). I then noticed a little bit of rubble in the distance, although it was a bit of a detour to where I needed to go,.But, I wanted to explore it and see what was there. I did, and found a strange wall that resonated with my cloth. I then used my "Voice" and let out a big chime, which made strange hieroglyphs on the wall. This was the story of the game, and, in the first 5 minutes of Journey I learnt all that is needed to get me to the end; shining symbols give you more cloth and bigger jumps, using your chiming voice will resonate with various objects, and walking off the beaten path will result in little bonuses that improve the story. From there I was away.

It didn't take long before I was blessed with a companion. A little figure in the distance, almost skipping along the sand. I let out a huge chime to tell them I was here, and it worked. They stopped and turned around, and waited for me to join them. A little chirp of our voices was made to greet each other, and we were away. I Could feel that they were playing it for the first time, and they probably knew I was the same, as we were generally very cagey when it came to moving forward, especially in the caves. Unfortunately, my companion was attacked, I ran back to help them, and steered them into a little hovel that was safe. Once they felt safe enough to continue, we did so. I could feel that they were a little shaken up by the whole event as they stayed fairly close to me and followed my trail. In the end my companion and I made a decent team, we would keep relatively near each other to avoid separation and pace our chimes together so that we could constantly fly.

All went well, that is until the mountain climb. The freezing temperature causes your material to become stiff, and the harshness of the wind drains your energy, which causes your movement to become slow and stifled. We stood close together, the warmth of each others body makes a little breathing room, and allows for a little bit of fluidity in your cloth. But, we were again attacked by those flying behemoths, except this time, I was the victim. I was knocked on the floor unconscious and the distance between us was great. But then they left. They didn't return for me, or even wait for my return. I was shocked, almost heartbroken with what just happened. I didn't move, I just stayed on the floor. As the blizzard raged, and started to envelope me in snow, Another companion walked by. I let a very weak chime out of my lifeless body, and they noticed. They walked up and touched me. The warmth gave me energy; enough for me to stand, and I did. We then walked the rest of the journey together, keeping very close. And sure enough we reached the "end" together.

After the credits, and finding out who it was who saved me, I messaged them, almost as a way of saying thank you. They replied back; in Japanese. Wow. Even though I wasn't playing the game anymore, the whole idea of this good Samaritan, a stranger from another land who, if we talked in real life would never be able to understand each other, was responsible for saving me was just an incredible feeling.

That is what Journey is all about.
  15. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is legendary and is the fastest top-selling game on the Playstation Network store. This is my favorite game of 2012. Thatgamecompany has done it again!
  16. Apr 14, 2012
    A unique, amazing experience. Play this if you own a PS3. Visuals and music are perfect. Multiplayer is unique but doesn't add anything gameplay-wise. Story is open for interpretation but the ending is pretty emotional.
  17. Apr 14, 2012
    I do not understand these reviewers, it's as if we played a different game. I encourage you to read this before you spend the steep 15 dollars on this game. In short, Journey had so much potential and was initially so intriguing but by the end your journey is for nothing; there is no pay off, no explanation, and if you really made a bond with your SIX (or more) random pals may I introduceI do not understand these reviewers, it's as if we played a different game. I encourage you to read this before you spend the steep 15 dollars on this game. In short, Journey had so much potential and was initially so intriguing but by the end your journey is for nothing; there is no pay off, no explanation, and if you really made a bond with your SIX (or more) random pals may I introduce you to my wall? Really.

I enjoy artsy games and movies. I love a good and a simple storyline because generally games like those have one or two profound things to say. On the surface Journey seems to have that. When you meet your "partner" for the first time it's exciting: here's someone who can help me along in this place. But in the end it's a solo experience. At first, I thought it might be important to wait for my partner as they bounded this way and that, so I did. Then I lost them. Then I forged ahead and determined there was no need for them. You literally have no need for the other person and in fact they slow you down.

Then things get more intense and you're faced with an enemy.... who hits you hard and does basically nothing to you, so there's no danger and nothing a partner could have done anyway. Things get more intense, you're fighting against the elements but while you're freezing nothing is really happening to you. I found another partner and they just ran from me, there was no reason for us to be together.

You get to the end and you expect some epiphany, something as touching as these reviewers claim there is but there is NOTHING. You walk into a white light and it literally says "Thank you for playing Journey!" ...really? You leave the game as clueless as you entered it. The description promises you'll uncover or learn something and that is just a flat lie.

A beautiful game with a great concept and tons of hype but in the end it could not be less worthwhile.
  18. Apr 14, 2012
    If there is something that transcends the definition of game that something is Journey.
    Call the Journey game is something wrong simply because he surpasses himself.
    Getting something so incredible for a game downloaded itself deserves 10, but I would not be disappointed if this game was physical, thus give you a nice round 10.
  19. Apr 12, 2012
    Journey is an amazing experience. To ignore it's brilliance is to be ignorant, and to pass it up would be a shame. From start to finish, it was an amazingly engrossing experience that is absolutely wonderful. And despite the length, I've never become so quickly attached to a world or main character in my gaming career. It's simple; you must play this game.
  20. Apr 11, 2012
    I didn't play Journey. I watched as my best friend played it. But I was simply captivated by this game. Four main reasons for why it's AWESOME: 1. It really feels unique, not just for the gameplay, but also for the setting and the plot; 2. Journey makes you think about thousand things, from ancient civilisations to cartoons you saw in your childhood, but also - why not? - even poses youI didn't play Journey. I watched as my best friend played it. But I was simply captivated by this game. Four main reasons for why it's AWESOME: 1. It really feels unique, not just for the gameplay, but also for the setting and the plot; 2. Journey makes you think about thousand things, from ancient civilisations to cartoons you saw in your childhood, but also - why not? - even poses you metaphysical questions. 3. Graphics are stunning! 4. Multiplayer... my God, multiplayer in Journey is a masterpiece! Pinging with a stranger is probably more engaging and socializing (albeit in anonymous way) than many hours I spent in WoW and other "social" games... I give this game 8. I would give it 9 if not for the last part before the ending, which left me a bit disappointed because of being a bit too much arcade... It felt like Sonic or Rayman, not Journey... Expand
  21. Apr 10, 2012
    I made an account here just to review this game. I have never been so emotionally invested in any game I've ever played, there isn't any way I can describe it. Honestly if you own a PS3 then this game is a must have. Just go buy it now.
  22. Apr 8, 2012
    Journey is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to seeJourney is not bad game, it's not fun, yet still has an appeal to it, but the whole time I played it there was that niggle in the back of my mind saying "I only like this because I've been told how good it is." In truth journey is a fairly linear and boring, and my initial perception was altered by what I had heard of the game. Twenty minutes into the game this wore off and I began to see what Journey really was; a obsessed with it's own self importance that it can't be bothered to tell a coherant story but instead uses pseudoistic imagery to cover up for the non-existant story. Towards the end I did garner something from the game as me and my fellow adventurer which the game had seamlessly connected me too slowly trudged through the snow. It was to say the least brilliant. It was the only real moment me and my companion shared and we'd been together since the start of the game. Marching onward close to death until we fell into the snow unable to continue. It was raw, it was powerful, no thought is as colloasal as that of failure.

However in the game industry there is a misconception that for a game to be good it must have a happy ending and suddenly the raw emotion and loss I felt from me and my companion dying evaporated as we were miraculously revived and finished out journey. Regardless of how good a game is if that satasfaction only occurs for 15 minutes towards the end of a two hour game and that moment is then stripped away and may as welll never occured then I'm sorry but it's not worth my time or money.
  23. Apr 7, 2012
    This isn't a game my friends, it's an experience. An experience that every self proclaimed gamer should have on their ps3. The whole time I was blown away by the beautiful landscapes and by the mystery surrounding everything. The ending was magnificent to say the least.
  24. Apr 7, 2012
    Cons: only one - the price. The game is too short to charge 15 dollars. Games that cost say 60 dollars can last for hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game only lasts a few hours. Maybe 10 bucks would be the top end for value. Pros: the aesthetics alone make this top notch. It is so beautiful to look at and to play and the feeling of playing matches perfectly the look...smooth, fun,Cons: only one - the price. The game is too short to charge 15 dollars. Games that cost say 60 dollars can last for hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game only lasts a few hours. Maybe 10 bucks would be the top end for value. Pros: the aesthetics alone make this top notch. It is so beautiful to look at and to play and the feeling of playing matches perfectly the look...smooth, fun, clever. I wish the makers would start turning out more games like this, Flower along with this game are wonderful, but more product please. Expand
  25. Apr 6, 2012
    In Gaming, there aren't many moments, too just seat, relax and feel apart of an world screaming for adventure. A World almost with no goals, just a path in front of us, that would take the gamers to places that they have never been in any other game or experience. This is Journey, a game that fulfill me so much that i just wanted to play over and over again. I never felt sad, happy, scaredIn Gaming, there aren't many moments, too just seat, relax and feel apart of an world screaming for adventure. A World almost with no goals, just a path in front of us, that would take the gamers to places that they have never been in any other game or experience. This is Journey, a game that fulfill me so much that i just wanted to play over and over again. I never felt sad, happy, scared at the same time in a game. This was simply amazing. http://moodgamer.blogspot.pt/2012/03/analise-do-jogo-journey-ps3psn.html Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not going to make a lot of friends with this one but here we go. To me this just isn't worth $15 dollars. I played it once and two of my friends played it once. I would guess we got a total of 3 hours of gameplay out of it and I will most likely never touch it again. Is the music great and touching, yes. Are the graphics beautiful and moving, yes. But I don't understand how you put an orchestral soundtrack running in the background of your game and everyone thinks the story is deep and meaningful (I am looking at your Halo), when the truth is, It isn't. It's about life, it's about death, it's about rebirth. No, it's actually about how if against all logic you decide to chase a shiny object on a hill and believe that it might be a good idea to walk 5 miles in the snow only wearing a burka (which is clearly made for the desert, and misogyny) everything will be ok because the tall white gods in the sky will take you to heaven where you and any idiot that followed you will be burned to death in a golden glowing light. You can say I just didn't get it, but my guess is you didn't get it either and you decided to find meaning in your misunderstanding. I am not saying this game is crap. It is a beautiful piece of interactive art but I want all the people giving this game 10's to ask themselves if Journey is really what the pinnacle of game is. Or if they are just so jaded that a game essentially has to trick them like the emperor and is new clothes that they are the only one who doesn't get it. Expand
  27. Apr 4, 2012
    I never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environmentI never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environment rather than dialogue, much like Shadow of the Colossus. The music's absolutely incredible. I recommend the game to everyone, particularly if you can find it on sale for $10 or less. I don't know if it'll be my favorite game at the end of the year, but I guarantee that it'll be on the list. I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be the best downloadable title you play all year, and perhaps this decade. Expand
  28. Apr 3, 2012
    Way too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of theWay too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of the game world is a lot of fun the first couple time you play it. Expand
  29. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps youJourney is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps you enjoy the story. You play a character that is traveling to a high mountain in the distance. On the way you will be walking through a desert then high up in the snowy mountain. There are creatures on the game, which you are tasked with staying out of their sight. The game also has a co-op aspect, which is simple yet helpful. As you make the journey you might meet up with other players that can help you solve puzzles quicker and even help each other regenerate you magic which makes you fly for a brief period. Journey is a simple yet entertaining fun game that proves that video games are art. Expand
  30. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfullyJourney is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfully short length, there was no time to form any kind of emotional relationship with other players. Replay value is extremely low, since the entire game follows the exact same path. There's no challenge either; the entire game is extremely easy. There's a couple puzzles here and there, but for most of the game you're just sitting there holding the control stick forward. If you're the type of person who likes games that are mildly interactive experiences emphasizing the visuals, then Journey will definitely be for you. Otherwise, you'll quickly find out that the constant high praise is completely unfounded and end up disappointed like me. Expand
  31. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful game. Still enjoy playing it after having finished it at least 8-9 times. Only fault is that for the significant delay in release date the amount of work put in doesnt seem justifiable. The world is not large enough with all of the exploring finished in a few hours and if set to finishing the game in one continuous session it would not take you more than 1 1/2 hours.
  32. Apr 1, 2012
    A masterpiece of game design, Journey combines a story and emotion-centric experience, that also delivers graphics, personality, and gameplay. The passive co-op, which sounded gimmicky to me when I first heard about it, adds an immeasurable amount to the game. This exemplifies games as art done well. While the game might be too short for some, I found the length perfect: this is a gameA masterpiece of game design, Journey combines a story and emotion-centric experience, that also delivers graphics, personality, and gameplay. The passive co-op, which sounded gimmicky to me when I first heard about it, adds an immeasurable amount to the game. This exemplifies games as art done well. While the game might be too short for some, I found the length perfect: this is a game that should be experienced in one sitting, with no interruptions, and the length allows you to do that. The story doesn't suffer from the shorter length either, and there is definite replayability. I highly recommend this to anyone. Expand
  33. Apr 1, 2012
    A game like none other, anyone who hates it is obviously a short-attention spanned must be shooting stuff kind of player, or you just can't get the emotional depth to it. The graphics are immaculate and are arguably the best looking game on consoles. Same can be said from the music which is the best original score I've ever heard in a game period. Never have I been so hypnotised from aA game like none other, anyone who hates it is obviously a short-attention spanned must be shooting stuff kind of player, or you just can't get the emotional depth to it. The graphics are immaculate and are arguably the best looking game on consoles. Same can be said from the music which is the best original score I've ever heard in a game period. Never have I been so hypnotised from a game ever or applauded the screen when it finished. Many complain about it's short length (only being a few hours) but for such a small amount of money you can't really complain about it. But trust me this is a game you would want to play more than once. Expand
  34. Apr 1, 2012
    Even though it is a really short game, the experience was incredibly amazing. The graphics are stunning, with impressive vistas and the most realistic sand i've ever seen in a video game. The game is really simple, and that it's why it is such a joy to play. The multiplayer element is brilliant and functions perfectly, not to mention the incredible soundtrack, that fits perfectly withEven though it is a really short game, the experience was incredibly amazing. The graphics are stunning, with impressive vistas and the most realistic sand i've ever seen in a video game. The game is really simple, and that it's why it is such a joy to play. The multiplayer element is brilliant and functions perfectly, not to mention the incredible soundtrack, that fits perfectly with every section of the game. This game is so good that after i finished it I had to keep myself from starting another playthrough simply because it was already 03am. If it had been in the middle of the afternoon, I would have played two playthroughs back to back. Yeah, this is that good. Game of the year for me. Expand
  35. Mar 30, 2012
    We were walking through the snow, fighting the wind. We had spent the whole chapter staying as close together as possible to keep ourselves from freezing, and we were constantly signaling to encourage one another. I saw it coming and got under the nearest cover and frantically signalled for my partner to join me, but it was too late. He had been spotted and we were both thrown back. WeWe were walking through the snow, fighting the wind. We had spent the whole chapter staying as close together as possible to keep ourselves from freezing, and we were constantly signaling to encourage one another. I saw it coming and got under the nearest cover and frantically signalled for my partner to join me, but it was too late. He had been spotted and we were both thrown back. We landed near each other, and both gave a short signal. I knew mine was out of frustration, but I can only assume that my partner was apologizing. We carried on, and soon the creature had circled back. We both sat under cover, but my partner was too exposed and we were attacked once more. This time we were thrown in separate directions. When I got up, I saw the creature circling my partner and in that moment I knew I had to leave him. As I ran for the safety of the gate ahead, I actually felt sadness and shame for abandoning a complete stranger that had, over the course of a few minutes, become my companion. When I reached the gate, I lingered and looked into the thick snow to see if my partner could make it through. A few seconds later I saw him emerging from the white and was overcome with joy. I let out a large signal as he approached, and when he reached me he did the same. I knew mine was of excitement, but I can only assume his was out of frustration for being left. As we both ran ahead, though, we continued with our signals of encouragement, and in that moment I knew he had forgiven me. That is what Journey is to me. It's experiencing fear, sadness, uncertainty, joy, wonder, and even grief in a very short time, and sharing this experience with a completely anonymous stranger. The game's ability to convey these different emotions without a single word, combined with its simply beautiful aesthetics makes this game a true work of art. Expand
  36. Mar 30, 2012
    Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up,Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up, yeah it's only 2 hours max, but it's the most rich 2 hours of gameplay you can pick up on the PSN, Expand
  37. Mar 30, 2012
    Journey isn't too much of a game rather than an amazing artistic experience. While playing through I stumbled upon a random traveler and together we completed the game. You get a sense of feeling for the "nobody". I had a few buddies over while I was playing the game and after I had completed it they went home and purchased the game for themselves. The game is short but a lot of fun. WithJourney isn't too much of a game rather than an amazing artistic experience. While playing through I stumbled upon a random traveler and together we completed the game. You get a sense of feeling for the "nobody". I had a few buddies over while I was playing the game and after I had completed it they went home and purchased the game for themselves. The game is short but a lot of fun. With very little games like this out in the world it is a definite recommendation. Expand
  38. Mar 30, 2012
    I, for one, am very happy there still are developers willing to take risks and create something unique, instead than a clone of whatever is selling best at the moment, and Journey is exactly this: unique.
    Journey (like the title implies) it's not really a game but more of an experience and a very pleasant one.
    If you start playing it expecting to run around, shoot things or do whatever you usually do in other games, you'll be very, very disappointed.
    On the contrary, if you free your mind, play it with the right mindset, you'll be rewarded with an experience very few games can provide nowadays.
    Everything, within this game, is beautifully crafted: the art, the metaphor which is the story, the music, the pace. Yes, it is short (a couple of hours, if you wander a bit) but trust me: you'll want to play it again, just to get absorbed in its beatiful world.
  39. Mar 29, 2012
    Hugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (IHugely disapointed and trying hard not to mark the score down to balance the overly high average. I was so looking forward to this game, and having played Flower, I knew what it was going to be about, atmosphere, slow pace, really nice visuals and good music. It is all of the above, but it is also, incredibly short (even at this price point), incredibly ridiculous gameplay in places (I mean, walk into wind, be blown back, walk into wind, repeat and rinse), but the worst crime of all is unfullfilled promise.

All the way through Journey promises of a bigger puzzle by displaying hieroglyph type icons, it fools the player into thinking the mystery of these shapes and the artwork they display occasionally will have to be cracked, will have to be understood, into order to reveal the games true meanng, and allow the gamer to experience the end game - but no, these are merely momentary eye candy that have no influence on the gameplay at all.

How much greater could this game have been, if the gamer had to pull together all the images displayed on their "Journey", and figure out some kind of puzzle in order to enjoy some final reward scene. But no, in Journey, you just have to walk, up a hill, into the wind.

Very disapointed with this game, sadly.
  40. Mar 29, 2012
    I think Journey is an incredible game. It truly engages the player from start to finish and leaves you breathless with satisfaction and understanding. Journey represents the direction we are moving when it comes to games as artistic expression, and I could not be more happy. If you have not, buy this game now. It is definitely worth your time and money.
  41. Mar 29, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game (of course I shall continue to contradict myself henceforth by referring to it as a game) as it is an experience in the same vein as Dear Esther. But unlike Dear Esther, Journey is genuinely original and manages to offer just enough interactivity and narrative structure to not be categorised as just another boring artsy non-interactive slide-show. Journey isJourney isn't so much a game (of course I shall continue to contradict myself henceforth by referring to it as a game) as it is an experience in the same vein as Dear Esther. But unlike Dear Esther, Journey is genuinely original and manages to offer just enough interactivity and narrative structure to not be categorised as just another boring artsy non-interactive slide-show. Journey is visually stunning, beautifully constructed and wonderfully compelling. The co-op gameplay adds depth and it's genuinely fun singing at people you meet. I don't want to be spoilerific so I won't go into anymore than that. Only drawbacks are a very short playtime (1-2 hours) and a few parts where the game drags a little - offering nothing visually exciting for minutes at a time in such a short game is kind of a pain. But overall definitely worth a look for anyone. Expand
  42. Mar 29, 2012
    Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle,Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle, its vague and profound message of light, warmth, and companionship... There is no dialogue in the game, none at all, and it achieves the same powerful result. For me, at least. Obviously, there will be people expecting some kind of mechanical platforming puzzle from Journey, and I suppose that's fair. It -is- a *game* for the PS3. However... if you have a soul, then you're likely to find something much deeper here. Expand
  43. Mar 28, 2012
    Ever since the beautiful work of art, Flower, I have been hooked on thatgamecompany's wonderful work. I was at first skeptical and unsure if Journey would even compare to it't predecessor. But, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Not only did Journey take me beyond what Flower accomplished, it took me well beyond anything that I have expected. I found myself in awe at how powerful JourneyEver since the beautiful work of art, Flower, I have been hooked on thatgamecompany's wonderful work. I was at first skeptical and unsure if Journey would even compare to it't predecessor. But, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Not only did Journey take me beyond what Flower accomplished, it took me well beyond anything that I have expected. I found myself in awe at how powerful Journey is. If you own a PS3, you must buy this, it is by far the best game that I have played to date. Expand
  44. Mar 28, 2012
    After playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives aAfter playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives a mystery because you don't know who you are playing with and there is no chat boxes. The cost of the game in the GB is GBP 10, but overall, it is a really good game Expand
  45. Mar 27, 2012
    A lovely game. It is done so artisticly well that you can't help but love it. I would, however, say that it may not deserve SUCH the hype that it seems to have received. Defiantly a good purchase tho.
  46. Mar 26, 2012
    Journey is a great and touching experience. I loved flower and Journey clearly belongs to the same line of thought. Something different and refreshing, where online encounters are fun and a big part of the game. Online integrates seemingly with the solo experience, enriching it in a subtle yet firm way. It's a game where you can be playful, regardless of the dangerous and poetic journeyJourney is a great and touching experience. I loved flower and Journey clearly belongs to the same line of thought. Something different and refreshing, where online encounters are fun and a big part of the game. Online integrates seemingly with the solo experience, enriching it in a subtle yet firm way. It's a game where you can be playful, regardless of the dangerous and poetic journey ahead. Not everyone will get it, like flower, it demands a minimum of sensitivity. Expand
  47. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing and beautiful game, and a breath of fresh air. The graphics are jaw-dropping and the ability of the game to tell a story with zero dialogue or text is similarly impressive. Words cannot really describe the emotions I felt as I finished the game. Go buy and play the game yourself. Unless you're a troglodyte, you'll be impressed.
  48. Mar 26, 2012
    You probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players inYou probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players in journey is that there is no way to communicate with them. Everyone's anonymous so you can't write to your "partner", there's no voice communication available and you can't decide to invite friends. The only way you communicate is through your actions and an additional "blip" feature (which is acctually a "loading feature", i.e you use it to activate certain environmental objects and/or load up your partners ability to jump and fly further). Togheter you can make the game even more amusing and find new ways to conquer the journey. It's also essential to cooperate in order to attain certain trophies. This means Journey makes the trophy system a bit more interesting than your average game. But are there no cons? Journey is beautiful, relaxing and I've been playing it over and over, as I've already said but it can't be emphasized enough. The only con is that it should've been just a little longer. I want more! Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2012
    Journey is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played. Highly recommended for it's simplistic yet creative art style. They manage to tell the history of an entire people without a single word.
  50. Mar 25, 2012
    I was blown away by this game. Didn't realize that it was technically a multiplayer game and that I was not alone on my quest. Wow, beautiful and stunning. Simple yet challenging gameplay too.
  51. Mar 25, 2012
    Journey is great to look at, but not fun to play. All you get to do is walk and after you get passed the sand levels walking becomes annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only five dollars, but there just isn't enough to do in this game to justify paying fifteen dollars for it.
  52. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a truly unique experience, the music is amazing and the game in general looks stunning. The only thing that is bad about this game is the length which is very short, I finished this game in about 2 hours. This is a must have game for Playstation owners.
  53. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey is the closest thing to meditation for gamers that has ever existed. It is stunningly beautiful and utterly enchanting from start to finish. Don't let the shortness put you off as this game delivers in emotion in its 2 hr span, more than any 10 hr + game that i have played.

I cannot stress enough how good this game is. Starting alone as a nameless stranger with mere jumping and singing at your disposal, to sand surfing and flying and meeting fellow travelers (also nameless) on your quest to the mountain. Everything and anything this game does is something you simply must experience. Please stop reading this now and go and play Journey.
  54. Mar 25, 2012
    Never have I played a game that could reach a spiritual level like this game did. The game borrowed inspiration from Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in it's ambiance and large scale--probably even surpassing the mighty giant. Journey was an amazing experience, and should be played through by anyone who's ever asked themselves about their take on the meaning of life and death and their ownNever have I played a game that could reach a spiritual level like this game did. The game borrowed inspiration from Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in it's ambiance and large scale--probably even surpassing the mighty giant. Journey was an amazing experience, and should be played through by anyone who's ever asked themselves about their take on the meaning of life and death and their own existence. The game is very much a parable to life, told in a very abstract way--accompanied with: great music, great visual style, great epic scope, amazing sand and snow details coupled with gusting wind climates that only elevate the experience of your hardships trudging up the steep slope of a mountain--good job all around from That Game Company. While it can be debated whether this is a real game, there is no doubt that the player will experience an emotional elation beyond any game they've played when they reach the end of their Journey. Expand
  55. Mar 24, 2012
    A short, but tasty, meal of a game. This game differs so many from the ones around it, although something of this type and caliber is to be expected from thatgamecompany. The game works so well in its minimalist framework. You find yourself depending and supporting the other character in the game, forming an altruistic relationship with a stranger. It does become frustrating when theA short, but tasty, meal of a game. This game differs so many from the ones around it, although something of this type and caliber is to be expected from thatgamecompany. The game works so well in its minimalist framework. You find yourself depending and supporting the other character in the game, forming an altruistic relationship with a stranger. It does become frustrating when the support is not mutual, which may be due to a lack of explanation of the controls and the capabilities of the character. Expand
  56. Mar 24, 2012
    The most amazing experience I have had gaming in a long while. Basically -- the best way to go into this game is knowing nothing about it whatsoever, and if you have a ps3, you must buy it.
  57. Mar 24, 2012
    I have no words for this game. It's an experience like no other. Egbert once said that it is impossible for video games to be "art." I disagreed with him then, but this is further proof he is mistaken.
  58. Mar 24, 2012
    The art style, music and gameplay are excellent, the atmosphere that journey evokes is so detailed and varied as to remain memorable for a far greater time than many longer games of this generation. Much like the player character, journey sets out with one goal in mind and performs excellently. This is what interactive storytelling should be, a testament to what can be achieved withoutThe art style, music and gameplay are excellent, the atmosphere that journey evokes is so detailed and varied as to remain memorable for a far greater time than many longer games of this generation. Much like the player character, journey sets out with one goal in mind and performs excellently. This is what interactive storytelling should be, a testament to what can be achieved without words or writing. Expand
  59. Mar 23, 2012
    Journey is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out toJourney is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out to retail with too many glitches, every game with day 1 DLC, every "safe" game that doesn't meander from the tried and true, take note. Take many notes. Journey is what you should strive to be. Be humbled. Thank you thatgamecompany for Journey. Thank you Austin Wintory and co. for the intimate soundtrack. This is what gaming should be. Expand
  60. Mar 23, 2012
    Magical. Inspiring. Beautiful. This one has it all and more. I couldn't stop smiling while exploring the world of Journey. Be warned, though: as a side effect it made me go back and buy the other 2 games from this developer. :)
  61. Mar 23, 2012
    How are you people beating this in an hour and a half?!? I'm confused by this. It took me four and a half hours to get through it the first time. I didn't even explore! I just went through the game! I never died. I never slowed down. I simply went through the game. Did I get a longer game or something? Regardless, I do love this game. I don't get the "emotional" aspect of it though...thatHow are you people beating this in an hour and a half?!? I'm confused by this. It took me four and a half hours to get through it the first time. I didn't even explore! I just went through the game! I never died. I never slowed down. I simply went through the game. Did I get a longer game or something? Regardless, I do love this game. I don't get the "emotional" aspect of it though...that critics seem to talk about. I honestly think they're just trying to be even more pretentious than all the other critics. It is a phenomenal game, however. Story? No. No story. Characters? Not really. There is no reason to care about your character, the people you meet online, or even about a plot. You are simply taking in the atmosphere and trying to work toward a goal. it is beautiful and, at times, awe-inspiring. Emotional though? No. That is Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, and Kingdom Hearts territory. Journey is simply an interactive piece of artwork, much like Linger in Shadows, but there is DEFINITELY more interaction in Journey. Flower still remains my favorite game by Thegamecompany, but Journey is never leaving my PS3. Would it kill them to give us a platinum trophy? Seriously... What the frick, guys? Also, can we get a 3D patch? This is a gorgeous game and 3D would really push it over the edge for me. The same goes for Flower. ;) Expand
  62. Mar 23, 2012
    I knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is trulyI knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is truly beautiful. You are not capable of communicating in any way, Thatgamecompany does not force you to cooperate, but you do it because otherwise you'll be all alone. When I played it I befriended another player, and we helped each other, when I got kick back by a flying creature, my new unknown friend ran back to me and helped me up. A truly touching moment in my gaming carrier. Sadly we got lost to each other, like losing a someone you loved and I was all alone.... Truly amazing :) Expand
  63. Mar 22, 2012
    Journey could be, but won't be, the beginning of a new type of video game. Every HUD bar, stat number, and dialogue option is replaced by the raw emotions that the game will wring out of intelligent players. It's designed, down to the last grain of sand, to create senses of dread even though you can't die, experience even though you'll only play for two hours, and friendship even thoughJourney could be, but won't be, the beginning of a new type of video game. Every HUD bar, stat number, and dialogue option is replaced by the raw emotions that the game will wring out of intelligent players. It's designed, down to the last grain of sand, to create senses of dread even though you can't die, experience even though you'll only play for two hours, and friendship even though you can only communicate with a whistle. The game's scenery provides the most obvious joys as it switches between golden deserts, kelp forest-like caves, and icy mountains. This is only the surface though, as Journey's most heartfelt joy comes form the multiplayer. Although many may not see it this way, the developers have crated the first troll-proof game. you can play with other humans online but you get no gamer tag, no twelve year old swearing in your ear, and no way to shoot you into the grim reaper's backyard Left 4 Dead style. Anyone who is not interested in bonding with another anonymous human being will simply not play or ignore your character. Journey's intent with multiplayer is clear and brilliant, especially when, at one point int the game, players sticking close to each other will be forced to walk down a narrowing crevice, which eventually turns their two silhouettes into one and symbolizes the new, simple, and strong friendship it has just created. Journey is a joy to all those who see their hearts as crackling fireplaces rather than diesel engines for military vehicles. Expand
  64. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game at first. Strange visuals and a weird way to play. It's nice until you realize how short it is for such a demanding price. The graphics are plain, game play is tedious. The upside is it looks really good. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest its worth the price
  65. Mar 21, 2012
    This game has clearly gone over the head of a lot of people. I'd rank this among the top 5 games I've ever played, and I'm basing this on two things. Sheer beauty and the feeling it leaves you with.

The social tools at your disposal are as simplistic as they come, either through sound and a visual effect, or through movement. It works surprisingly well, as you're forced to boil the elements of the social networking into it's basic elements and improvise to get your meaning across.

I met another traveler at the beginning of my story, and then lost him/her after getting into the dark caves, and I actually felt a strong sense of sadness at the loss of my newfound friend. That's without even saying a word, which is testament to the emotions this game sets in motion. I went for several levels without seeing the other traveler again (I met others, recognizable by their unique symbol, but it wasn't the same).

Then, right before the end of the second to last mission, we found each other again, and we danced around for a little while, both ecstatic. We then proceeded to finish the game together, helping each other through the hardship, until finally reaching the end goal. I've never been this emotionally tied to a game before.

Luckily, you get a little summary of the people you met during your travels, showing their PSN ID next to their unique symbol, and we both gained another friend that day.

More than anything else, this game gives me hope in humanity, because after all is said and done, and all preconceptions are gone from the equation, we're all human after all.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you, thatgamecompany! Thank you so much!
  66. Mar 21, 2012
    I bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seeminglyI bought Journey on impulse after hearing all the buzz and praise it was receiving, and it's safe to say it did not disappoint! Journey is a short and exhilarating breath of fresh air to the gaming world. Throughout your 3 hour long adventure you'll be met with some of the most exquisite graphics and pulchritudinous landscapes you've every seen in a video game. Not to mention the seemingly flawless online play, in which you are connected to other travellers at random and can traverse the landscapes as a duo. No names, no microphones, just co-operative gameplay as it should be. The controls are as fluid and smooth as the game, using only 4 buttons throughout which makes it easy to pick up and play as and when you please. So in summary, Journey is an incredibly enjoyable gaming experience and should not be missed, but it now! Expand
  67. Mar 21, 2012
    Ever since Thatgamecompany made a big splash with 2009 Flower, the company made big plans with its follow up Journey. I found it hard at first to believe that Thatgamecompany could strike yet another emotional chord after doing so with Flower. However Thatgamecompany proved me wrong and I was not only convinced that they have successfully created another hit but they have created theirEver since Thatgamecompany made a big splash with 2009 Flower, the company made big plans with its follow up Journey. I found it hard at first to believe that Thatgamecompany could strike yet another emotional chord after doing so with Flower. However Thatgamecompany proved me wrong and I was not only convinced that they have successfully created another hit but they have created their best game to date.
    Journey places you in a beautiful world where the ambiguous character, the environments, and the goal created an ambiance that lifts the core theme of Journey to a climax throughout the whole game. If Flower was a poem within the industry, then Journey is more of an experience of loneliness. Everything from the music being on cue to the silence itself helped bring Journey to a different level. The lack of direction is also a fresh concept since many modern games tend to hold your hand now and days. So being left in the dark to figure out what to do is part of the experience. Out of all of these amazing features however there is one feature that claims itself to bring the most important factor of the game, the chance that you may encounter another wanderer.
    Within an industry that has only improved because of the inclusion of the internet. It is a little hard to adjust being alone. When signed into PSN however you may find yourself traveling with another as you both experience the world for the first time. With no way to actually communicate (other than a single button within the game) the idea of joining one another to reach the mountain is an emotional journey. After beating the game with a partner I can say that this gives Journey a whole new feel than beating it alone. Because the game was meant to give off the sense of being alone though I also suggest that you beat the game unplugged so that you have no chance to meet another person. Sounds a little harsh but the end result is an amazing one.
    I highly suggest that you get and play this game. I can easily say that there is now other game out there that does what Journey does. If youâ
  68. Mar 21, 2012
    Some of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flowerSome of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flower (though you have to have the controller level as tilting the pad results in the camera rotating - no good for lying on the sofa and playing). So why the 7? The multiplayer. I've read reviews by people who said they. Built up a bond with their buddy and felt emotions they had never felt before. I didn't get anything like that. I had 8 different buddies in my short journey and they were all useless. I felt annoyed mostly. On top of that there are monsters that cut your scarf of that it seems impossible to avoid and the trophies depend far too much on your buddies. Get this game because the graphics and sound are unreal and I hope that you have a better online experience than I had. Expand
  69. Mar 21, 2012
    What an incredible piece of art. The visuals were simply beautiful and so was the music. Rarely does a game comes so close to perfection. I was moved by the beauty and minimalism of the the game but even more so by the companionship and shared experience I had with the other character in the game. Communication and cooperation came so naturally that it was if we had know each other forWhat an incredible piece of art. The visuals were simply beautiful and so was the music. Rarely does a game comes so close to perfection. I was moved by the beauty and minimalism of the the game but even more so by the companionship and shared experience I had with the other character in the game. Communication and cooperation came so naturally that it was if we had know each other for years. This will be one of those games that people will look back on twenty years from now and mention with fondness. Expand
  70. Mar 21, 2012
    A simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand andA simple but unique game. I enjoyed it and the sand tech is rather nice. The first time I saw another little person in my world it surprised me. I carefully watched them and wondered what they were doing, I didn't realize this game was drop in coop. Then that person left and many more came and went over the next 90 minutes. The best parts are probably sliding down through the sand and flowing with the wind along with jumping. I wish I could get attached to the game as others, perhaps the minimalistic (non interactive) aspect of the co-op and the simple direction sells itself? Truthfully I just wanted to slide down the huge mountain at the end :( Expand
  71. Mar 20, 2012
    I've spent 4 out of the last 5 nights playing this game. I'm just floored. That first time was magical as the "experience" people talk about, but on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run-through it occurred to me that aside form being an incredible experience, this is also a fun game. I went around until I found every single glyph, and now I've earned myself a white robe. Now I fly around helpingI've spent 4 out of the last 5 nights playing this game. I'm just floored. That first time was magical as the "experience" people talk about, but on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run-through it occurred to me that aside form being an incredible experience, this is also a fun game. I went around until I found every single glyph, and now I've earned myself a white robe. Now I fly around helping others out. It's actually super fun on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run through as well. I mean, I don't see myself spending 50 hours playing this game like I did with Red Dead Redemption, or 100+ hours I've played in Uncharted multiplayer, but I most definitely don't agree with the people who say this game has little replay value. This is one of those games I'll definitely go back to on a lazy night time after time. Expand
  72. Mar 20, 2012
    This is truly one of the most beautiful game I have ever played, there was so much emotion without any dialogue making the experience that much more pure. This game is very spiritual in the way it will make you feel by playing. Some may argue about the length of the game, while I agree the game is very short for 15 dollars, it is an experience that you can enjoy over and over. One buyingThis is truly one of the most beautiful game I have ever played, there was so much emotion without any dialogue making the experience that much more pure. This game is very spiritual in the way it will make you feel by playing. Some may argue about the length of the game, while I agree the game is very short for 15 dollars, it is an experience that you can enjoy over and over. One buying this game shouldn't considering it just purchasing a game, its a piece of art. The way i look at it is we generally will easily pay $10 + to see a movie at the theatre and with that comes a lot of advertisements and you only get that experience once. For the price of this game you can get an experience that would rival any movie, there are no advertisements what so ever and you can enjoy it over and over. If all you like to do in games is kill and blow things up; then pass on this game, if however you play games for the deep experience and interactive storytelling and care more than just your kill count this game is a must buy. It is an experience like no other and truly shows the potential games can be. I feel just as comfortable playing this game by myself or my friends as well as when i'm with my priest. A piece of art that everyone can truly enjoy. Expand
  73. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is so beautiful, it may be short but at the end you feel like you lived an entire life - with its small triumphs, surprises and pains. I wasn't travelling in a typical "gameworld", it felt real - and at the same time beautiful dreamy (is that an English word - I am Dutch). I was really moved at the end. Pure art.
  74. Mar 20, 2012
    This game captures more joy and emotion in 2 hours than most games do in 20.
    It is artistically amazing in every single aspect of the word, and the subtle interactions with other players you meet can create a very emotional bond.
  75. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey is beautiful and involving. I didn't find it moving, but it is fascinating.

I played online and had a companion for each chapter. I wasn't actually sure whether they were other players or a computer character, because they were integrated into the cut scenes too. It was thrilling. However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but

However for an experience this immersive it is over far too quickly. Less is more aesthetically, but I was still exploring after two hours, and was definitely not ready or expecting to have to wrap up so soon. A shame that in the end something so measured ends up feeling attenuated ... Regardless, the game is genuinely stunning, obviously made with love, and it tells a mythic story with a light hand, which I liked. I hope it's a success, as it suggests new directions for what's possible with setting and atmosphere in games.
  76. Mar 20, 2012
    Thatgamecompany definitely knows how to attract such gamers like me. Gamers who are interesting in art. Who like outstanding design and unusual approach to gameplay. Who enjoy meditations and feel so comfortable to relax while playing. Who like beauty.

Journey is that game. It is beautiful. Short though, but I felt like I was born again when the game is over.
  77. Mar 20, 2012
    Music / sound and presentation are spectacular. This is game is a piece of art. However it is way too short, it is around 3 hours maximum if you look in every corner. Having said that though I came on here for the first time to review this game because it deserves it. The way the game connects players online is great and it doesn't feel like someone messing up your game at any point.
  78. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - anotherJourney defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - another companion can join your journey at any time; you can travel together but communication is limited the a single action of emitting a whale-like call. Journey is a lovely little game, that anyone who appreciates ingenuity and art will enjoy. Expand
  79. Mar 19, 2012
    Think Portal. I could end my review there. Incredibly short? Yes. Worth it? Oh hell yes! As others have said, it's an experience tough to put into words. It's less a "game" than it is an "experience." And I feel that Journey (like Portal) contained more plot, more memorable moments, than most full-length games. If you're the kind of person who shys away at colors other than greyThink Portal. I could end my review there. Incredibly short? Yes. Worth it? Oh hell yes! As others have said, it's an experience tough to put into words. It's less a "game" than it is an "experience." And I feel that Journey (like Portal) contained more plot, more memorable moments, than most full-length games. If you're the kind of person who shys away at colors other than grey and brown, and cringe at the thought of any story outside of "blow the guy in front of you up" then by all means, skip this one. If you're sick of games that had little to no thought put into it outside of the engine, then this is definitely the game for you. Expand
  80. Mar 19, 2012
    Can somebody please get these intellect-lacking users giving 0s and 1s off this site?!

Anyways, this is now officially the greatest downloadable title of ALL TIME.
    No game will touch you on the high subliminal, emotional, and intellectual level that Journey does.
    When you get the game, you'll realize how high the production values are, and you'll see why 15 dollars may even be too low.
  81. Mar 19, 2012
    1 hour of gameplay that simply made me love video games even more. Who said video games couldn't be a work of art? True I just played 1 hour but I will definitely go back to play it for who knows how many more times. For those who have played: Limbo, Lost in Shadow and Flower and I don't know if for some but to me maybe a little to Shadow of the Colossus. You won't be dissapointed by this game.
  82. Mar 19, 2012
    I can't understand people who gave a 0 or 1 to this game... they probably did'nt understand it at all... Journey is not really a game... But it's clearly a piece of art as FlOwer did ! It's a interactive "journey"... with poetic and artistic ambiance, I clearly loved it ! It's a game with no violence, just relaxing and tripping !
  83. Mar 19, 2012
    An amazing game, definitely deserves the praise that it has gotten and will continue to get. Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews. This game is worth every cent of the price of admission. I will agree that the game may be "short" by industry standards, but It felt just right for the content. Add to that the fact that the replay value for this game is very high (several of theAn amazing game, definitely deserves the praise that it has gotten and will continue to get. Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews. This game is worth every cent of the price of admission. I will agree that the game may be "short" by industry standards, but It felt just right for the content. Add to that the fact that the replay value for this game is very high (several of the trophies actually encourage you to play several times) and you can easily put 20 hours into this game. Expand
  84. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is pretty amazing. beautiful visuals and beautiful sound. Approximately two hours was a very much fantastic experience.
    After complete the game had to wipe tears. Beautiful. It's beautiful.
  85. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a mastery of Avante Garde expression. It is short, and simple, but it is something I will never forget as long as Iâ
  86. Mar 18, 2012
    An experience like none other. One of the most beautiful and appealing games to grace gaming in a long time. The game is short, but was created to play in one sitting. The game simply places you in the shoes of a mysterious robbed figure who, for some reason, is on a Journey across the desert to a Mountain Top in the distance. The game features some of the most visually stunningAn experience like none other. One of the most beautiful and appealing games to grace gaming in a long time. The game is short, but was created to play in one sitting. The game simply places you in the shoes of a mysterious robbed figure who, for some reason, is on a Journey across the desert to a Mountain Top in the distance. The game features some of the most visually stunning landscapes, flawless and easy to navigate controls that are fluid and easy to get through, as well as some of the most mesmerizing music that syncs up perfectly with everything you do on your adventure. Journey includes a new twist on the co-op gameplay, walking around the desert landscapes are actually really fun, and this other figure following you, or leading you around will become one of your best friends, even with no way to communicate (other than musical chirps), on top of that it displays no name.

This game is an artistic and emotional experience that most people will love, while some who would rather like explosions or gun play may get tired of it. Keep an open mind to a new experience and expect something completely different, because this game features not only that, but an emotional Journey that will be remembered for years to come. Simply amazing, and deserves to be played by anyone.

10/10.
  87. Mar 18, 2012
    This is easily one of the best interactive experiences crafted. Ever. While some might say it is too short, the game would not have been able to deliver the same emotional impact if it had been any longer. The experience design in this game is flawless, the levels are beautiful and the sound is immersive. Not playing this game would be a real shame.
  88. Mar 18, 2012
    The fact that Journey has so effectively condensed the experience into a two-hour interactive poem is an astonishing achievement. It is the evolution of Jason Rohrer's art game Passage, bringing an unmatched humanity to the experience through its multiplayer.
  89. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a game that makes you smile the entire way through. Which is, unfortunately short, yet each chapter is different visually, and constantly impresses. The journey to the mountain is excellent, with a clear sense of progression.
    If you happen to stumble upon another traveller, this game begins to shine brighter than the sand. It's exhilarating to travel with someone you do not know at all (their psn name only appears upon finishing the game) and you have no way of properly communicating, which somehow bonds you to this unknown person, as you guide each other through.
    To this point, it is a truly sad experience if your journey is interrupted, and you must communicate the fact that you have to leave to your companion, and as you quit the game, your traveller dissipates like sand in the wind.

The game also has enough variation in the short span, with collectibles and secret areas. Buy this game, play through it, once, twice, doesn't matter, you won't regret it.

ps. sand dune sliding is the most pleasurable
  90. Mar 18, 2012
    Very very good little game. The graphics are top class as is the music which adds some real emotion to the game. Some people could get put off by the lack of narration and clearly defined plot but for me it was a minor inconvenience. You could also argue that £10 is a bit much to pay for a game which lasts for about 45mins approx. Saying that because of how gripping the gameVery very good little game. The graphics are top class as is the music which adds some real emotion to the game. Some people could get put off by the lack of narration and clearly defined plot but for me it was a minor inconvenience. You could also argue that £10 is a bit much to pay for a game which lasts for about 45mins approx. Saying that because of how gripping the game was I expect to play it a couple more times at least.
    I also liked the online element, playing with someone added an extra layer to an already very enjoyable adventure.
    It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but in my opinion Journey has been another excellent release from thatgamecompany and is highly recommended!
  91. Mar 18, 2012
    Many people ask "can games be art?" This bite-sized piece of entertainment answers this question with an emphatic "YES!" with unbelievable particle effects, haunting music and gorgeous visuals . More often than not games constantly bark orders at the player and tell them what to do all the time. Journey has one goal. From the beginning of the game you see a huge mountain in the farMany people ask "can games be art?" This bite-sized piece of entertainment answers this question with an emphatic "YES!" with unbelievable particle effects, haunting music and gorgeous visuals . More often than not games constantly bark orders at the player and tell them what to do all the time. Journey has one goal. From the beginning of the game you see a huge mountain in the far distance, and without any prompting you instantly know you must get your little pointy-legged thingy there safely. The lack of heads up display accentuates the biting solitude, making you feel blissfully alone. The finale of this all too short trek leaves you with a genuine sense of accomplishment and wonder. Thatgamecompany has yet again surpassed itself and delivered a mini masterpiece which needs to be played by everyone. Trust me, this is the best ten pounds you will ever spend! Expand
  92. Mar 18, 2012
    If Terrence Malick and Hayao Miyazaki had gotten together to make a game, this would be it. Journey is an amazing, haunting experience. Yes, it is short, but that is also the point; it's supposed to be played in 1 sit, like watching a movie. Don't be fooled though; it's short, but VERY re-playable. I play it at least once a day, so that should tell you something. I've payed $60 bucks forIf Terrence Malick and Hayao Miyazaki had gotten together to make a game, this would be it. Journey is an amazing, haunting experience. Yes, it is short, but that is also the point; it's supposed to be played in 1 sit, like watching a movie. Don't be fooled though; it's short, but VERY re-playable. I play it at least once a day, so that should tell you something. I've payed $60 bucks for games that are much much longer, but ultimately got boring and repetitive, and I ended up ditching them. It's sad that Journey is only available for PS3, because EVERYBODY should experience this at least once. Thatgamecompany has crafted one of the most beautiful games on any platform. Expand
  93. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a wonderful experience. Nothing I write can justify the kind of feeling I have after finishing it. Somehow, someway the game affected me in more ways that I could imagine. This game makes me want to run to my loved ones and tell them how precious they are to me and thank them for sharing their life journeys with me
  94. Mar 18, 2012
    In 25 years of gaming I never had a gaming experience like this.

In 25 years of gaming I never had a gaming experience like this.

Playing the last two Chapters with a stranger was just incredible. Like many others here said before, you start caring for each other in a way you never experienced before. We tried to stay as close to each other as possible to keep each other warm, we cared for each other if one of us got struck by an enemy and we always waited for the other to catch up.

There was a moment near the end where the heart warming music got to an emotional peak and I suddenly started crying tears of joy...It was just so incredibly intense.

So if you own a PS3, buy this game, make yourself comfortable, turn up the volume and turn down the light. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.
  95. Mar 18, 2012
    After becoming fatigued from constant big budget games that require you to shoot stuff in the face I thought I'd give this a try as it looked so unique and different. After playing Journey though my feelings have changed. The game play isn't unique or different so much as it is none existent.

All you seem to do is press forward on the left stick to the point where at the end of the game my thumb was starting to ache. There is no challenge, nothing to interact with, no humor and the game generally is all about the graphics.

It's more of an interactive piece of art rather than a game that's meant to be experienced rather than played. But at just an hour and a half long I was relieved when it was over and for the price it's really not worth it.
  96. Mar 18, 2012
    I'm new here. While some people are claiming all the reviews are being written by people who worked on the game, I can safely say that most aren't. For some people, this game will fall short of expectations... not because it doesn't achieve something great, but because it doesn't follow the usual conventions of the gaming industry.

Journey is very different from most games. In spite of

Journey is very different from most games. In spite of its mechanics and playstyle being far more akin to conventional games, in many ways, it's less of a typical game than thatgamecompany's previous titles, flOw and Flower.

The basic premise is simple - you're given an objective to reach, and little else. The controls are simple - you can walk, jump, and sing.

If that was all there was to the experience, that would be disappointing. If you're disappointed, you missed the point. The game is about emotion, connecting with a stranger, and experiencing beauty.

The user "aspentitan" has written a "5/10 Buyer Beware" review. I VERY STRONGLY recommend reading it. The game is short, but it's BEAUTIFUL. And it's not just beautiful in the sense of art style, or graphics (although those are beautiful too). It draws on the emotions of the player in ways that very few games do.

I'm rating the game 10/10. That doesn't mean 100% and doesn't mean the game is perfect. It DOES mean, however, that it's something EVERYONE should experience.

If you play the game online, and are disappointed, try again without being online. For some people, the solitary experience is more powerful. If you tried it offline first, and it didn't live up to your hopes, sign in and try again. For many, the connection with another Journeyer makes the experience worthwhile.

There's a reason I keep using the word "experience" in this review - it's because "play" doesn't fit. I've already said this game isn't your usual game. It's barely a game at all, and treating it as nothing more than a game isn't going to do it justice.
  97. Mar 18, 2012
    i was so moved by this game, i signed up to metacritic just to give this a 10. my favourite gaming experience since demon's souls, and easily the most a video game has affected my emotions.
  98. Mar 18, 2012
    Despite everything I'd heard and seen of "Journey", no one could have convinced me that I would be close to tears by the end of it -- first of sadness, then of joy. Ninety of the best minutes I've spent holding the PS3 controller. You'd pay twice this price for an incredible ninety-minute film on Blu-Ray -- and consider the support you're giving thatgamecompany to develop more gems like this one.
  99. Mar 17, 2012
    For those of us who enjoy rich experiences filled with color, beauty, sound, emotion, and companionship...then you my friend can join in on the uplifting experience known a Journey. Connecting you through musical notes in a vast unforgiving world with a random stranger is not only powerful and compelling...but a must. Do. NOT. Play. This. Game. Alone. The magic is finding a traveler toFor those of us who enjoy rich experiences filled with color, beauty, sound, emotion, and companionship...then you my friend can join in on the uplifting experience known a Journey. Connecting you through musical notes in a vast unforgiving world with a random stranger is not only powerful and compelling...but a must. Do. NOT. Play. This. Game. Alone. The magic is finding a traveler to journey with. Short or not, this you can't miss... Expand

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]