Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - anotherJourney defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - another companion can join your journey at any time; you can travel together but communication is limited the a single action of emitting a whale-like call. Journey is a lovely little game, that anyone who appreciates ingenuity and art will enjoy. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful game. Still enjoy playing it after having finished it at least 8-9 times. Only fault is that for the significant delay in release date the amount of work put in doesnt seem justifiable. The world is not large enough with all of the exploring finished in a few hours and if set to finishing the game in one continuous session it would not take you more than 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    If you judge Journey as just a game, it's not that great. It's short, it's easy, there's not even all that much to it, in terms of gameplay. However, thinking of it in broader terms, as unique form of entertainment, that just happens to use the PS3 as a medium, it's incredible. More enjoyable than just a game, more of an experience, and giving it a 10 doesn't even seem adequate.
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played. This will get criticism for being too short, but that maybe can't be helped as the pacing is just right. I must buy 4 games a month, all platforms, and this is the first game in a very long time that has really made me sit up and take notice. If you like Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Portal, definitely give this a go. A gamer's game.
  5. Apr 4, 2012
    I never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environmentI never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environment rather than dialogue, much like Shadow of the Colossus. The music's absolutely incredible. I recommend the game to everyone, particularly if you can find it on sale for $10 or less. I don't know if it'll be my favorite game at the end of the year, but I guarantee that it'll be on the list. I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be the best downloadable title you play all year, and perhaps this decade. Expand
  6. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one gameJourney was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Expand
  7. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't knowJourney isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    Journey is an absolutely beautiful and well crafted game. It makes you feel like you are on a grand adventure and you forget you are really playing a video-game. A definite must have for any Playstation 3 owner.
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    If there's an afterlife I want it to be exactly like this game. It's art. It's love. It's human compassion and trust and beauty and peace. It is what humanity would be if it lost the power to hate. It isn't a game. It's..... God!
  10. Mar 19, 2012
    1 hour of gameplay that simply made me love video games even more. Who said video games couldn't be a work of art? True I just played 1 hour but I will definitely go back to play it for who knows how many more times. For those who have played: Limbo, Lost in Shadow and Flower and I don't know if for some but to me maybe a little to Shadow of the Colossus. You won't be dissapointed by this game.
  11. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a mastery of Avante Garde expression. It is short, and simple, but it is something I will never forget as long as Iâ
  12. Apr 22, 2012
    Journey is a one-of-a-kind game, as you venture through with strangers, and no communicating whatsoever, except the chirping you have. So far, this is my top 2012 game pick.
  13. Mar 23, 2012
    I knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is trulyI knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is truly beautiful. You are not capable of communicating in any way, Thatgamecompany does not force you to cooperate, but you do it because otherwise you'll be all alone. When I played it I befriended another player, and we helped each other, when I got kick back by a flying creature, my new unknown friend ran back to me and helped me up. A truly touching moment in my gaming carrier. Sadly we got lost to each other, like losing a someone you loved and I was all alone.... Truly amazing :) Expand
  14. Aug 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I was playing Journey, I was constantly trying to put my finger on what I loved so much about it. Here I was, walking about and occasionally tapping O, with a little bit of X thrown in sporadically. Not much in the way of gameplay, I realised. But that, I began to realise near the end, was the point: Journey plays out a bit like a film: you sit back and passively consume the events that happen within the experience. It's just so relaxing to sit back and watch the scenery, seeing the lovely patterns that are created in the sand as you walk. I would elaborate more on why this game is such a joy to experience, but I'll sum it up with one word: subtlety. Expand
  15. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  16. Aug 2, 2015
    What an amazing audiovisual experience, what an incredibly talented developer! I suggest these guys should work with icelandic Band Sigur Ros, that would definitely make a great collaboration!
  17. Mar 12, 2015
    the game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and playthe game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and play with wonder and awe. Expand
  18. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey is the closest thing to meditation for gamers that has ever existed. It is stunningly beautiful and utterly enchanting from start to finish. Don't let the shortness put you off as this game delivers in emotion in its 2 hr span, more than any 10 hr + game that i have played.

I cannot stress enough how good this game is. Starting alone as a nameless stranger with mere jumping and singing at your disposal, to sand surfing and flying and meeting fellow travelers (also nameless) on your quest to the mountain. Everything and anything this game does is something you simply must experience. Please stop reading this now and go and play Journey.
  19. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps youJourney is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps you enjoy the story. You play a character that is traveling to a high mountain in the distance. On the way you will be walking through a desert then high up in the snowy mountain. There are creatures on the game, which you are tasked with staying out of their sight. The game also has a co-op aspect, which is simple yet helpful. As you make the journey you might meet up with other players that can help you solve puzzles quicker and even help each other regenerate you magic which makes you fly for a brief period. Journey is a simple yet entertaining fun game that proves that video games are art. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2013
    Beautiful game. Quite the experience! I'm glad I got to play this game, it is unique and charming. My only complaint is it took only an hour to beat.
  21. May 24, 2012
    Lost 1 point because its short, gains the other 9 for its beauty and the joy of playing this experience beginning to end. Don't pick this up looking for a game like most others, this is meant to be an experience, short and beautiful.
  22. Mar 15, 2012
    this is an amazing experience that everyone must play you're really stupid if you don't buy it you'll be missing out on game of the year. Theres so much more then the videos reviews show and I LOVE THIS GAME
  23. Mar 15, 2012
    Telling you what happens would do the experience a disservice. This isn't a game to wield skills to triumph over tricky challenges - it's a place to feel wonder, camaraderie, adversity and joy. You've no doubt heard lots of vague over the top claims about it already, but you may even find the meaning of life in this game. It's that profound. It's not an hour - it's 2 or 3 the first timeTelling you what happens would do the experience a disservice. This isn't a game to wield skills to triumph over tricky challenges - it's a place to feel wonder, camaraderie, adversity and joy. You've no doubt heard lots of vague over the top claims about it already, but you may even find the meaning of life in this game. It's that profound. It's not an hour - it's 2 or 3 the first time through. Still, that gives you good odds of encountering another player in the same area and even in the last 10 minutes it made me feel more than a whole box of 60-hour games could.

It manages to convey more meaning than most games or movies, without using a single word (outside of the clumsy "how to play" overlays at the start...) In fact, it would have lost some impact if it tried to spell things out for you - instead, the moments you encounter may be the same as most other players find, but they are yours. Like life itself, you may be like countless others who went before you, but you are you and this is your story. Everything is fleeting, so just enjoy the moment and push on to what's next.

Meeting other players, you may not be able to articulate your communication well, but there's a common understanding that the other who is with you is another living person and that changes the nature of the experience knowing that you're sharing it with someone else. It's a beautiful experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels some connection to other humans, no matter how little.
  24. Jun 21, 2012
    A perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developerA perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developer can hope to create.
    thatgamecompany have set a standard which I can only hope their future projects can come close to meeting, I am very thankful I was able to play through their vision and I wish them the best of luck in the future! Journey is my 'Game of the Year' for 2012.
  25. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to playFor such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  26. Mar 17, 2012
    The game is short, but I assure you will live a unique experience, I loved the game, the graphics are excellent, the music is amazing ... the game is linear, but worth the $ 14.99 and more
  27. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is truly amazing, its not often games live up to the hype but this one does. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played and if your playing this with a good stereo im sure you would agree. The music is as much a part of the game as the gameplay itself. The experience is so beautiful that I am going to be booking sessions for my friends so they can experience the game in myThis game is truly amazing, its not often games live up to the hype but this one does. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played and if your playing this with a good stereo im sure you would agree. The music is as much a part of the game as the gameplay itself. The experience is so beautiful that I am going to be booking sessions for my friends so they can experience the game in my theater. I personally wasnt bothered by the short length, I thought it was appropriate and well worth the price considering the quality. This is yet another to have get a ps3 if you dont have one. Expand
  28. Mar 26, 2012
    You probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players inYou probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players in journey is that there is no way to communicate with them. Everyone's anonymous so you can't write to your "partner", there's no voice communication available and you can't decide to invite friends. The only way you communicate is through your actions and an additional "blip" feature (which is acctually a "loading feature", i.e you use it to activate certain environmental objects and/or load up your partners ability to jump and fly further). Togheter you can make the game even more amusing and find new ways to conquer the journey. It's also essential to cooperate in order to attain certain trophies. This means Journey makes the trophy system a bit more interesting than your average game. But are there no cons? Journey is beautiful, relaxing and I've been playing it over and over, as I've already said but it can't be emphasized enough. The only con is that it should've been just a little longer. I want more! Expand
  29. Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you to that game company for creating a game that is genuinely original and truly emotional if you find a the right buddy on your Journey. If they continue on this path they might just be the pixar of gaming.
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    I played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn'tI played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn't experience its unique online experience, maybe my expectations had been set too high.

I played through the game with two of my friends watching, and all of us were completely silent and enraptured by the end. Journey is beautiful, Journey is unique, and Journey is amazing. It is by far the best online experience I have ever had with a game, it has some of the most strikingly beautiful scenes I have ever seen in a game (they will stay with me for years), and I adore everything about what Thatgamecompany has done. Nothing I can say will be able to convince you to play it, but I urge you to listen to the overwhelmingly positive response to this game it is NOT overrated. An easy 10/10 (sure it's short, but who cares when the experience is this amazing?)
  31. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly haveUnusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  32. Nov 16, 2015
    that is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you couldthat is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you could not play it for hours, so it's just right in my opinion. maybe it should be a little more fun to play, it should be more interesting exploring such beautiful places, a little more sophisticated gameplay and eventually a little longer. Expand
  33. Nov 19, 2016
    I downloaded Journey for free on PSN and enjoyed it quite a bit. The game is very easy to complete, but the story keeps you wondering. A nice touch that you can meet other players along your journey. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for this game, but well worth a free download.
  34. Oct 3, 2012
    When I was done playing, I went over to twitter to personally thanked the crew that made this game. I was soooo happy. Finally! This game is going to be at top-5 2012 for sure!
  35. Mar 15, 2012
    A very refreshing game. I've already played through it 4 times and plan on having a couple more goes at it. Good games are hard to come by now a days. It seems too often that I buy a game only for it to sit on my shelf for months without being beaten because after a couple hours of game play it becomes a chore to continue playing the game. This was not the case with Journey. JourneyA very refreshing game. I've already played through it 4 times and plan on having a couple more goes at it. Good games are hard to come by now a days. It seems too often that I buy a game only for it to sit on my shelf for months without being beaten because after a couple hours of game play it becomes a chore to continue playing the game. This was not the case with Journey. Journey is everything I could have asked for in a perfect game: simple, compelling, visually mesmerizing, and short. The anonymous multiplier was a welcomed twist. Journey was wonderful from beginning to end and I'd gladly work an hour or two to pay for this inexpensive and awesome game. Expand
  36. Mar 30, 2012
    Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up,Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up, yeah it's only 2 hours max, but it's the most rich 2 hours of gameplay you can pick up on the PSN, Expand
  37. Mar 20, 2012
    Thatgamecompany definitely knows how to attract such gamers like me. Gamers who are interesting in art. Who like outstanding design and unusual approach to gameplay. Who enjoy meditations and feel so comfortable to relax while playing. Who like beauty.

Journey is that game. It is beautiful. Short though, but I felt like I was born again when the game is over.
  38. Mar 28, 2012
    After playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives aAfter playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives a mystery because you don't know who you are playing with and there is no chat boxes. The cost of the game in the GB is GBP 10, but overall, it is a really good game Expand
  39. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is legendary and is the fastest top-selling game on the Playstation Network store. This is my favorite game of 2012. Thatgamecompany has done it again!
  40. May 17, 2012
    15 Dollars may sound a little steep for 1-2 hours game play and that is what I thought too. This could not be any father from the truth this was hands down one of the best experiences I have ever had with and game. Buy it now !
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    I've used metacritic for years, but have never felt compelled to actually write any reviews... until now.

I cannot stress enough what an amazing experience this game was. I sat in my room, eye level to my tv, turned out all the lights and let the game take me away. I beat the game in less than two hours, yet I know my adventure will forever be a part of me. This game was incredibly powerful and moving.

I don't want to ruin anyone's experience by providing too much information. I just want to argue that this game, this masterpiece, is a direct rejection of Roger Ebert's unfaltering stand that video games can never be art. After playing this game, I can honestly say, he is incredibly wrong in his assessment.

This game is beautiful and I cannot recommend it enough. Play. This. Game.

Maybe I'll run into some of you out there :)
  42. Mar 29, 2012
    Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle,Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle, its vague and profound message of light, warmth, and companionship... There is no dialogue in the game, none at all, and it achieves the same powerful result. For me, at least. Obviously, there will be people expecting some kind of mechanical platforming puzzle from Journey, and I suppose that's fair. It -is- a *game* for the PS3. However... if you have a soul, then you're likely to find something much deeper here. Expand
  43. May 30, 2012
    A review cannot describe this game. Just Buy it. This is one of the most amazing things ever. A review just does not justify how great it is. Wow, simply amazing stuff
  44. Dec 5, 2012
    Somewhere out there is a person who's name I will never know, who's face I will never see and who's voice I will never hear, but I will never forget them. For an hour and a half I fought against temptation, impatience, and personal reward to stay by their side, and they did the same for me without so much as a hesitation.

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild elements of what a "game" is, such as platforming and puzzle solving, but these things are never used in such a way that they hinder your progress or pull you away from your ultimate goal. Rather, they are there to pull you deeper into the world you find yourself mysteriously dropped into.

No words can properly describe the experience that is Journey, because it is a human experience unlike any other that I have seen in gaming. The soundtrack is grandiose without being intrusive, the environments are hauntingly beautiful, and every camera movement has been carefully planned out. The art direction is second to none with absolutely no inconsistencies, and the graphics themselves are absolutely flawless. Essentially, there isn't a single thing that I can reproach to Journey, because whatever flaws it might have are unnoticeable whereas it's long-term emotional and visual impact are unforgettable.

Due to it's ambient multiplayer element, there are times when your adventure feels soul-crushingly lonely, only to have it turned on it's head by encountering a mysterious traveler along your path. You can not communicate with this other person through any other means than singing short musical notes and by standing close to them to recharge your energy. This, surprisingly, creates the deepest, most emotional multiplayer one can experience as it does away with any fears of player aggression, rage-quits, racism, or any other elements you'd typically find in an online game. Not only does this limited communication eliminate those hindrances, but it also somehow enhances gameplay by making your singing the sole output for your emotion. There hasn't been a single playthrough where I have not understood what my traveling companion was trying to convey.

People often bemoan the fact that Journey is only an hour and a half long, and to them I have to ask if they truly understood what the game was doing. A movie of the same length can take up to six years to create and people gladly pay 12$ for a movie ticket, yet they feel 'cheated' by paying 15$ for the most emotional and stirring experience a game could ever bring you simply because "it's so short". Journey's key strength isn't in how it plays, but rather in how it feels and the impact left on your mind after it's all over.

Obviously, this is not a title for everyone. Many have written reviews about how they "just don't get it" or "fell for the hype", and it's regrettable to say that there are going to be people out there who simply won't feel the impact of this experience for whatever reason. To everyone else, people who want to experience art and emotion and music and a deep, primal connection to other people, go buy Journey now.
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    This was a nice divergence from your typical AAA game. I took one point away because of the price, though...I don't think it's worth $15, $5-10 is more appropriate.
  46. Feb 8, 2013
    Okay, I really don't understand this one. Being a gamer for the past 25 years, I don't understand people telling this game is perfect or close to perfect... Okay it's beautiful and emotive by moments, but no real story, no voice acting, no combat, nothing happens, reaaaaaally slow...
  47. May 3, 2013
    I was blown away by this game. With that said, I did come into it with minimal expectations. It is exciting to see a publisher take a chance for a change. The game's simplicity brings me back to my old days of playing NES. It's definitely not the best game ever, and I hope that they don't make a sequel. I believe that it is as good as it can be. I don't need to play it again, and II was blown away by this game. With that said, I did come into it with minimal expectations. It is exciting to see a publisher take a chance for a change. The game's simplicity brings me back to my old days of playing NES. It's definitely not the best game ever, and I hope that they don't make a sequel. I believe that it is as good as it can be. I don't need to play it again, and I don't need to play another game like it. It was an interesting experience that was very enjoyable for me. Some critiques people will probably have with this game are that it is too short, too simple, and too vague. While it is short, simple, and vague it still delivers. I can't think of another game that would have been able to pull this off. Expand
  48. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most immersive games I have played in my life. This game is the perfect example why I love video games. Music, graphics, game experience: everything is great. Thanks so much ThatGameCompany!!!
  49. Oct 3, 2013
    Journey is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budgetJourney is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budget triple-A title I have ever played. It's beautiful, and is drop dead gorgeous at points. The soundtrack is serene and fitting. My time with journey left my jaw hanging quite literally. Journey is a game anyone with a ps3 needs to play. Expand
  50. Jun 5, 2012
    Holy **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, noHoly **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, no energy, no hud. Just the world at your feet and the most beautiful music ever. Hell i didnt even realise i was playing co op until the end credits lol. Even the end credits were a thing of beauty. Best tenner ive spent on PSN period. Do yourself a favour and buy this game. If you have anything negative to say about this game you aren't a real gamer and should go back to your mainstream shovelware. Expand
  51. Mar 18, 2012
    The fact that Journey has so effectively condensed the experience into a two-hour interactive poem is an astonishing achievement. It is the evolution of Jason Rohrer's art game Passage, bringing an unmatched humanity to the experience through its multiplayer.
  52. Oct 19, 2012
    Journey is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to seeJourney is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to see another person like me, I ran up to them and starting "talking" and jumping around like a dog who just saw another dog at the park. That's probably my favorite aspect of the game, when you see other people and you travel with them. They cannot introll you or ruin the experience they are merely companions who may or may not be with you through the whole game. The game is short, I think it takes roughly 2-3 hours to complete depending on how long you linger in a given area, but the flow is quite good and you won't ever find yourself wondering what to do next. I like short games myself, I don't always want to have to spend 50+ hours to find out what happens, but of course this is a matter of personal opinion. The graphics are great and very fun to look at, and the music is equally wonderful. Playing Journey is obviously not for everyone, no game is, I akin playing Journey to something of an interactive movie or a picture book coming alive. To me it also had an anime vibe but that might just be me. I really enjoyed Journey, it's not for everyone but it's definitely and unique and worth while experience imo. If you think it might be your cup of tea then give it a go you most likely won't regret it. Expand
  53. Mar 13, 2012
    It isn't often, these days, when a game inspires you to think. It's even less often that it asks you to consider what is of real importance in life. It's also rare to bring a single, poignant tear to your eye after just a couple of hours. Journey might not do that for you, but it did for me. Games like Heavy Rain have tried, and failed in my view, to merge gaming with cinematicIt isn't often, these days, when a game inspires you to think. It's even less often that it asks you to consider what is of real importance in life. It's also rare to bring a single, poignant tear to your eye after just a couple of hours. Journey might not do that for you, but it did for me. Games like Heavy Rain have tried, and failed in my view, to merge gaming with cinematic storytelling. Journey tries, and greatly succeeds, at merging gaming and art. Don't miss this one, folks. It isn't about where you're going... Expand
  54. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is awesome, wonderful and inspiring. I think, it's primarily intended for an adult audience, because young and very young gamers will possibly describe it as boring - but it isn't. In fact, it offers a gaming experience, which hasn't seen for a long time. Personally, I was flashed for two hours - that is short, but rather inspiring entertainment for two hours than playing aThis game is awesome, wonderful and inspiring. I think, it's primarily intended for an adult audience, because young and very young gamers will possibly describe it as boring - but it isn't. In fact, it offers a gaming experience, which hasn't seen for a long time. Personally, I was flashed for two hours - that is short, but rather inspiring entertainment for two hours than playing a boring "blockbuster" game like Mass Effect 3 for endless hours. Big shouts to the composer of the game music. Expand
  55. Mar 18, 2012
    i was so moved by this game, i signed up to metacritic just to give this a 10. my favourite gaming experience since demon's souls, and easily the most a video game has affected my emotions.
  56. Jan 31, 2013
    Beautiful. That is the best way to describe this game. Whether the player had an emotional reaction or just an appreciation for the visual and audio art all comes down to preference. And that's what's so special about this game.
  57. Dec 23, 2015
    Beautiful graphics, amazing gameplay. You can make up your own mind about what the story means and what is the point of all of it. A short but wonderful experience.
  58. Jun 23, 2016
    A cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates anA cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates an experience like no other you might have with a stranger. If this game was reduced to its bare basics to walk to the light and the game was over, it would be above average; however, add the element of online multiplayer along with the intense dramatics at varying points throughout the game and you have a masterpiece, one that elicits deep, real emotions and a search for the metaphorical meaning of what you have experienced in these two hours. Expand
  59. Dec 7, 2012
    It's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. ButIt's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. But if you think of it as something other then a game you find something amazing. So to say this is a game doesn't really quite grasp it's full essence. It is... a Journey. (Curse them and their perfect naming)

To comprehend this a bit better I think of what Jesse Schell writes in his book "The Art of Game Design" on the topic of what a Game Designer does he has this to say: "Ultimately, a game designer does not care about games....When people play games, they have an experience. It is this experience that the designer cares about. Without the experience, the game is worthless." And this is what Journey has done. They created a truly unique experience, that while being interactive is not necessarily a game. Game Designers for years have tried to tell story through interactive mediums, ever since the first MUDs, and text based adventures. And while we've gotten some truly spectacular games out of these attempts, we rarely see a truly spectacular story. The stories we do see could be better told through book or film. But Journey has proven that it can be done through an interactive medium , and not only that but they can make it amazing. They've crafted something between game, book, and movie and it's fantastic. The real trick now is to see if they can do it again, or to see if anyone can ever do it again. This may just be a beautiful fluke, a nice bit of intrigue that will eventually be nothing more then a footnote in gaming history. Something that people will read about and say, "Sounds interesting." And then will never think about again. Can't wait to see if it takes us somewhere new.
  60. Jun 19, 2012
    The game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking toThe game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking to yourself, "This isn't possible and I won't let it happen!" The amazing thing is that throughout your journey you will see another individual and you'll assume it's the same person but you'll discover at the end your adventure was shared with many others. I was unable to stop this game until I finished it and I've gone back several times as this is a relaxing game that you experience not play. Understand that there isn't any action and it's not some brain teaser, it's a very simple game but it does simplicity better than anything I've ever played. Expand
  61. Mar 13, 2012
    This is what I play video games for! No other medium could make me feel like Journey just did. A truly unique experience anybody should give a try! The anonymous cooperative play works fantastic and you really bond with your partner despite the minimal interaction with each other.
  62. Jan 19, 2015
    I must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly anyI must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly any hardcore action and fighting. This game reflects the hardships of life, the challenges we face so we reach our destination. At the end we see it's not the destination, but we look back at the journey to get there and how it shaped us. This game cleverly portrays itself as the journey of life, and I haven't felt as connected to a game like this for a long time. The game is short but worth the experience like others have said. Expand
  63. May 19, 2012
    We've learned to expect some element of exploration, battle, and/or collection in games. Sometimes you can empathize with characters or feel a sliver of happiness or sadness after a cutscene or "moral" decision choice, but for the most part, there is a wall between the player and the character's experience. It's impersonal. Until now.

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I urge anyone who's become underwhelmed by the typical game formula to try this. I want to ramble on about what makes Journey so profound, but there isn't a perfect way of describing it, you just have to play it.

I expect to see great things from Thatgamecompany in the future. They've earned my complete respect.
  64. Mar 16, 2012
    A short, but sweet serene adventure. The simplistic art style is absolutely gorgeous, and you'll never look at video game sand the same again. Bumping into fellow wanderers and helping them along the way is a highlight, and the limited communication is in end a thing of beauty. No screaming children or disgruntled neck-bearders. Just a quiet companion to join you.

The only thing I could

The only thing I could ask for is for even more play area to explore. I've attained platinum already!
  65. Mar 17, 2012
    This is what games should be. A book describes, a film shows and a game lets you experience. Now we know for sure that games can be art. Truly wondrous.
  66. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey, in my opinion, is a milestone in recent gaming. The introduction, navigation and how your character operates within this pseudo-open world is magnificent. While a shorter game, it works perfectly for what it presents and allows itself for multiple playthroughs.

Not being able to communicate (other than singing) with the companions that you meet is a splendid feature. The non-verbal communication reminded me of Fumito Ueda's games, and traveling through certain points felt reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus. Having this world, prone to exploration, with a narrative open to interpretation is something I am certainly a fan of.

--- Spoilers and my experience below ---
    My first playthrough consisted of me meeting a companion early on and going with them throughout the world. They seemingly didn't know how to go in certain areas and followed me everywhere... which made me feel like the "older brother guide" esque person or protector as, I had no idea where I was going myself. After spending 2 hours with this individual, they left and with the accompanying 'leaving animation'... felt saddened. A GAME MADE ME FEEL SAD! In a later playthrough, someone who had unlocked certain things was showing me around and the role reversal was another remarkable feeling. I didn't know where the unlockables were, and they did... finishing the game with them was fun and our interactions were truly something to note, on a personal level. I can't reccomend Journey enough and for only $15 (US) is a remarkable deal. 9 /10
  67. Mar 30, 2012
    I, for one, am very happy there still are developers willing to take risks and create something unique, instead than a clone of whatever is selling best at the moment, and Journey is exactly this: unique.
    Journey (like the title implies) it's not really a game but more of an experience and a very pleasant one.
    If you start playing it expecting to run around, shoot things or do whatever you usually do in other games, you'll be very, very disappointed.
    On the contrary, if you free your mind, play it with the right mindset, you'll be rewarded with an experience very few games can provide nowadays.
    Everything, within this game, is beautifully crafted: the art, the metaphor which is the story, the music, the pace. Yes, it is short (a couple of hours, if you wander a bit) but trust me: you'll want to play it again, just to get absorbed in its beatiful world.
  68. Jun 7, 2012
    Thatgamecompany has made quite a reputation for themselves over the past few years. Their â
  69. Jun 7, 2013
    my favourite PS3 experience of a game from 2012, I'm only really putting reviews in meta-critic for games that have really blown me away, journey is the antithesis of an FPS games and nearly everything else that is out there, if you need relief from every standard game mechanic killing things etc and want to play a game that at no point stresses you and can be fit in into an hour or twomy favourite PS3 experience of a game from 2012, I'm only really putting reviews in meta-critic for games that have really blown me away, journey is the antithesis of an FPS games and nearly everything else that is out there, if you need relief from every standard game mechanic killing things etc and want to play a game that at no point stresses you and can be fit in into an hour or two in the evening then journey is for you, journey is a breath of fresh air, it does not explain itself nor does it need to, its a gentle exploration game that turns into a journey and by the end of it. the Mystery of what is going and your characters interactions just add to the game and your attachment to your character and by the end of the journey if you have a heart you will be touched by its quiet dreamlike grace. Expand
  70. Jan 26, 2015
    I don't even know what to say , i was just bored and decided to play this game , i didn't really know why i bought it but i ended up loving every single moment of it . This is one of the weirdest and yet best games , after i finished it i felt like i went through an amazing journey -as the title indicates-i suggest this to everyone , even hardcore gamers should try it and see what i'mI don't even know what to say , i was just bored and decided to play this game , i didn't really know why i bought it but i ended up loving every single moment of it . This is one of the weirdest and yet best games , after i finished it i felt like i went through an amazing journey -as the title indicates-i suggest this to everyone , even hardcore gamers should try it and see what i'm talking about , i'm literally struggling to find a flaw on it because i don't like giving 10 as a score but i'll have to make an exception here ! Expand
  71. Dec 6, 2016
    Journey is by far the best game that I have ever played. Never before has a game given me such a strong emotional response and attachment than Journey has. The graphics and music are stunning, the game mechanics are fluid and fun (especially the flying aspect of the game). But more so than that, what really draws me back to Journey week after week is the fact that you make an emotionalJourney is by far the best game that I have ever played. Never before has a game given me such a strong emotional response and attachment than Journey has. The graphics and music are stunning, the game mechanics are fluid and fun (especially the flying aspect of the game). But more so than that, what really draws me back to Journey week after week is the fact that you make an emotional connection with other players. It is very relaxing to play Journey after a long work day, and to be able to help out or travel along with an anonymous companion. I've purchased triple A titles and spent close to $50 on other PS4 games before, but none of them captivated me as much as Journey did, and I still continue to play Journey even after a year of owning it. Expand
  72. Mar 23, 2012
    Journey is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out toJourney is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out to retail with too many glitches, every game with day 1 DLC, every "safe" game that doesn't meander from the tried and true, take note. Take many notes. Journey is what you should strive to be. Be humbled. Thank you thatgamecompany for Journey. Thank you Austin Wintory and co. for the intimate soundtrack. This is what gaming should be. Expand
  73. Nov 6, 2012
    So far the best art game I've played. So simple and achingly beautiful. A game that gives you just enough story so you create your own narrative as you go. Every play through really is a Journey that you'll remember. It's short but you won't find a more perfect and beautiful game experience out there. Game of the year.
  74. Mar 16, 2012
    Simply incredible, it may be short but what a beautiful ride to the horizon. 10 pounds may seem a little steep but when the visuals and audio are this fantastic who cares. A completely refreshing experience when compared to the modern hum drum by the numbers games that most developers pump out. A perfect example of when a game elevates itself to true art. The imagination that went intoSimply incredible, it may be short but what a beautiful ride to the horizon. 10 pounds may seem a little steep but when the visuals and audio are this fantastic who cares. A completely refreshing experience when compared to the modern hum drum by the numbers games that most developers pump out. A perfect example of when a game elevates itself to true art. The imagination that went into this is reason I play video games... To be entertained. Expand
  75. Mar 14, 2012
    Journey is not a game for everyone, if you don't think a game is fun unless you are shooting zombies in the face, its probably best to avoid Journey. As the 10's rush in from open-minded gamers there is bound to be a bunch of 0's from people who find this game 'boring' and are shocked that people actually enjoyed this game.
    This game starts off a bit slow, but by the time its ended you
    This game starts off a bit slow, but by the time its ended you have experienced something unlike any other experience. The game only took me 2 and 1/2 hours, but then another hour was spent sitting on the porch looking at the trees in the wind and just reflecting on the experience. This game is a truly meditative zen experience. Flower was just a flight sim in disguise but Journey is unique in almost every way. If you took screenshots randomly throughout the game almost every screenshot would be a work of art worth hanging on your wall.
    The online experience is great, it really feels like you are sharing something special with a stranger. The game is the perfect length, as its certainly not a game that would be good to play with any breaks, you need to sit alone, get comfy, turn up the volume and just chill.
    ThatGameCompany is an amazing developer and I dearly hope Sony renews their contract for another 3 works of art.
  76. Mar 18, 2012
    This is easily one of the best interactive experiences crafted. Ever. While some might say it is too short, the game would not have been able to deliver the same emotional impact if it had been any longer. The experience design in this game is flawless, the levels are beautiful and the sound is immersive. Not playing this game would be a real shame.
  77. Mar 18, 2012
    If Terrence Malick and Hayao Miyazaki had gotten together to make a game, this would be it. Journey is an amazing, haunting experience. Yes, it is short, but that is also the point; it's supposed to be played in 1 sit, like watching a movie. Don't be fooled though; it's short, but VERY re-playable. I play it at least once a day, so that should tell you something. I've payed $60 bucks forIf Terrence Malick and Hayao Miyazaki had gotten together to make a game, this would be it. Journey is an amazing, haunting experience. Yes, it is short, but that is also the point; it's supposed to be played in 1 sit, like watching a movie. Don't be fooled though; it's short, but VERY re-playable. I play it at least once a day, so that should tell you something. I've payed $60 bucks for games that are much much longer, but ultimately got boring and repetitive, and I ended up ditching them. It's sad that Journey is only available for PS3, because EVERYBODY should experience this at least once. Thatgamecompany has crafted one of the most beautiful games on any platform. Expand
  78. Mar 13, 2012
    The word "experience" is thrown around a lot in the gaming industry these days, but this game is truly an experience like no other.From start to finish, it is a beautiful, emotionally engaging adventure and a real masterpiece. For anyone who says that video games can't be art, this game might have a few things to say to you.
  79. Mar 15, 2012
    i suppose this is a short product if you like to finish games as fast as you can. if you're like me and enjoy searching every nook and cranny it will last much longer. soaking in the visuals and ambiance is a must, and you will want to replay it. if you have bad taste, and enjoy the michael bay style of in your face moremoremore, it is not for you. the people giving this game badi suppose this is a short product if you like to finish games as fast as you can. if you're like me and enjoy searching every nook and cranny it will last much longer. soaking in the visuals and ambiance is a must, and you will want to replay it. if you have bad taste, and enjoy the michael bay style of in your face moremoremore, it is not for you. the people giving this game bad scores are the same people who give god of war games "10's" even though it is a $60 game that lasts 5 hours. Expand
  80. Nov 10, 2013
    Short but oh so sweet. Journey is an adventure platformer that is less about utilizing an array of different game mechanics to overcome a set goal, and more about simply experiencing and sometimes exploring the wondrous setting and adventure the game presents to you. That is not to say interactivity is non existent, but it is light and amounts to little more then traversing the scenes, butShort but oh so sweet. Journey is an adventure platformer that is less about utilizing an array of different game mechanics to overcome a set goal, and more about simply experiencing and sometimes exploring the wondrous setting and adventure the game presents to you. That is not to say interactivity is non existent, but it is light and amounts to little more then traversing the scenes, but what joyous traversal it can be at times. Climbing up a drop in the bucket sand dune while the horizon of sandy needle-points slowly reveal themselves and then whimsically surfing down the other side as you decide to uncover the mysteries behind the next. The visual design and effects do a lot of the legwork in making the game's scenes a visual euphoria, with not only large scale variety like open deserts, pseudo underwater sections, and frosty cliffs, but also little effects that delight such as the High Dynamic Range lighting that sets the sun ablaze, the subtly sparking sand that at certain angles reflects gushes of sunlight, the wind blowing plumes of sand past your feet, and the way the sand shifts and parts when coming in contact with the player or other creatures. Enhancing the game's breathtaking sets to great effect is the soundtrack that amplifies the game's magic and emotional impact. A charming and for some, thought provoking tale with little to show you but so much for you to see, Journey is for people who don't mind simple mechanics and could use some unadulterated wonder. Expand
  81. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is so beautiful, it may be short but at the end you feel like you lived an entire life - with its small triumphs, surprises and pains. I wasn't travelling in a typical "gameworld", it felt real - and at the same time beautiful dreamy (is that an English word - I am Dutch). I was really moved at the end. Pure art.
  82. Apr 22, 2012
    As authors said: this is not a game, it's an "experience". After completing it many times I can fully agree with this statement. The Journey is an artistic masterpiecie designed to move these tiny rusty gears which remain unused for most of the time inside our hearts. It brings out an unique feeling of longing for the Light: whatever the Light is...
  83. May 1, 2012
    Calling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey isCalling Journey a game is, in my opinion, a complete misunderstanding of what thatgamecompany set out to do. Journey, like there previous titles (Flow and Flower) is an experience. One of intense struggles and vivid calms. Visually, Journey is stunning. Its art direction is unique and really pulls the player in to this world so thoughtfully crafted by Jenova Chen and his team. Journey is a MUST BUY for any PS3 owner, whether its used as an entertainment title, or as a method to relax after a hard days work. Expand
  84. Jun 3, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online'I can't even begin to describe how I feel about this game, can we call it a game? I don't know! Right from the start I was hooked by the incredible sounds and the game did a fantastic job of making you really care for what was happening. The pace can feel very slow at times but then all of a sudden something hits you out of no where and puts a big fat grin on your face. The 'online' experience feels very unique, a random player may all of a sudden pop up out of nowhere and carry out their Journey with you, helping you to find extras within the game or just a second character to walk along with. All in all this is a fantastic experience which everyone should try at least once. Expand
  85. Jun 10, 2013
    I've just purchased the European version of Journey Collector's Edition hence why I'm late coming to the party.

I used to be an avid gamer but now I'm in my mid-30s now I don't get as much time (growing up is rubbish!). So I now when I play a game I aim to find something special... Journey did not disappoint! I was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The aesthetic, score and

I was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The aesthetic, score and emotional content is on a par with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I actually feel sorry for people who don't "get it". My only guess is that those people are dead inside (or only tend to like FPSs or sports sims).

Many people have spoken how short the game is, but for me it was epic. I've only completed it once, but I intend to play in again... and again... and again.

I've not yet had a chance to play online but I will be doing as soon as I can find the time.
  86. Aug 17, 2012
    anyone who rated journey below an 8 just doesnt get it. go back to your shooters i guess. i love shooters too, but this game is seriously awesome and there is no way in H3LL that people shouldnt like it.
  87. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game. It's got great music, great and stunning graphics, the co-op feature is just amazing. I mean not knowing who you will run into, what gender or how old they are is fun. I met someone that stuck with me through chapter 1 all the way to chapter 6. They distracted the big monster in chapter 5. I noticed most people didn't like the ending, well I think it ended that way because the creator wanted the players to create their own ending to the game. I just love the wonderful music in this game and the game itself! If you have a PS3, or your friend even. Go out and try this game, you'll love it for sure especially if you love slow paced games where you can just stop and take a deep breath...Well expect in Chapter 5...My heart was racing. Expand
  88. Jul 27, 2013
    As so many have already said, this isn't a game, it's an experience. The visuals are stunning, and the score masterfully blends with what is going on in the game. The drop in, drop out multiplayer experience is unique and adds an entire new layer to the game, $15 dollars well spent.
  89. Aug 27, 2014
    It was a damn shame this game was so short because when it comes to experiences, this was a beautiful one and, despite it's length, you can tell the developers put as much effort into creating one of the most visually stunning games of the year.
  90. Nov 28, 2013
    The most beautiful game I've ever played. A unique experience that totally worth playing.
    The games put you in an wide desert with another player (you can't know who is he until the end) and tell you a brilliant a story. Although there is no different paths to follow, the game fells very personal, because of the ambiguous game story itself and the your relation with the another player. The soundtrack is as good as it could be and there is no voice acting in the game. The game duration is just right for finishing the game in one sitting (2-4 hours).
    Just sit down, relax and enjoy this journey.
  91. Jul 12, 2014
    who made this game? i want to kiss him hahaha, i have been played videogames since atari 2600 and all i have to say is this is one of the best games i ever played in my life is beautifull is smart, make you feel awesome is one f the best games ever, everybody in the world have to play this game, this game is ART love it, the game have a meaning is all about evolution about to find thewho made this game? i want to kiss him hahaha, i have been played videogames since atari 2600 and all i have to say is this is one of the best games i ever played in my life is beautifull is smart, make you feel awesome is one f the best games ever, everybody in the world have to play this game, this game is ART love it, the game have a meaning is all about evolution about to find the light the peace the maximun expresio of your soul thats abut journey thats the meaning that i found, if you dont understand this game sorry youre dumb Expand
  92. Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe my favorite game of all times.
    Poetic, visually gorgeous, incredible soundtrack, innovative coop play, simple and just gameplay... A game that every video-game detractor should see.
  93. Jul 16, 2014
    Let me start off by saying this game is my game of the year for 2012. But it's not for everyone.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and wondrous tale through its amazing and peaceful score. You play as robed being in the middle of the desert and your objective is clear. Reach the top of a mountain in the very distant background. There is absolutely no voice acting or violence in the game. But, that doesn't take the charm and beauty away from this game.

As you slide down the gorgeous sand dunes listening to the amazing score, others players will simultaneously join you on your adventure. The only way you can communicate with the other player is pressing circle which makes a very unique and peasant sound.

The only negative thing I can say about this game is that it's only an hour and half, two hours max.

Journey is a unique, beautiful and innovative. This game shows that video games don't need violence or voice acting to be a fantastic game. This game is one of the best I've ever played.
  94. Mar 23, 2012
    Magical. Inspiring. Beautiful. This one has it all and more. I couldn't stop smiling while exploring the world of Journey. Be warned, though: as a side effect it made me go back and buy the other 2 games from this developer. :)
  95. Mar 18, 2012
    Despite everything I'd heard and seen of "Journey", no one could have convinced me that I would be close to tears by the end of it -- first of sadness, then of joy. Ninety of the best minutes I've spent holding the PS3 controller. You'd pay twice this price for an incredible ninety-minute film on Blu-Ray -- and consider the support you're giving thatgamecompany to develop more gems like this one.
  96. Mar 14, 2012
    After 10 minutes, I couldn't put the controller down until I finished the game. Many artsy-games stray too far into art and fall into confusing, messes of frustration. Journey, on the other hand, is one of the best examples of artistic expression and story-telling through the video game medium. If the art style, wordless narrative, or discovery don't grab you, the anonymous multiplayerAfter 10 minutes, I couldn't put the controller down until I finished the game. Many artsy-games stray too far into art and fall into confusing, messes of frustration. Journey, on the other hand, is one of the best examples of artistic expression and story-telling through the video game medium. If the art style, wordless narrative, or discovery don't grab you, the anonymous multiplayer will. You communicate by "sing-shouting" to one another, which quickly becomes familiar and delightful. There's something humbling about exploring a world with a stranger while having a vocabulary that's been reduced to one word and I felt more connected with my anonymous companions in Journey than any other gamers I've met in public online gaming sessions. Journey is an amazing story-telling experience that didn't lose its video game hat. Expand
  97. Mar 20, 2012
    I've spent 4 out of the last 5 nights playing this game. I'm just floored. That first time was magical as the "experience" people talk about, but on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run-through it occurred to me that aside form being an incredible experience, this is also a fun game. I went around until I found every single glyph, and now I've earned myself a white robe. Now I fly around helpingI've spent 4 out of the last 5 nights playing this game. I'm just floored. That first time was magical as the "experience" people talk about, but on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run-through it occurred to me that aside form being an incredible experience, this is also a fun game. I went around until I found every single glyph, and now I've earned myself a white robe. Now I fly around helping others out. It's actually super fun on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th run through as well. I mean, I don't see myself spending 50 hours playing this game like I did with Red Dead Redemption, or 100+ hours I've played in Uncharted multiplayer, but I most definitely don't agree with the people who say this game has little replay value. This is one of those games I'll definitely go back to on a lazy night time after time. Expand
  98. Aug 19, 2013
    Journey affects you a different way unlike any other video game. Its open to different interpretations on how you see the game itself. Some call it art, some an emotional experience, others hate it for lack of "gameplay" while others love it for the same reason.
    I myself found it to be a really inspiring game to play. It really is a hardcore gamers' game which is ironic.
    All I can say
    All I can say is if you let this game pass you by then you're missing the whole point of what video games are all about and why.

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]