• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 13, 2012
8.7

1. Jun 18, 2013
    It may only last a couple two hours and, aside from a few simple puzzles, there is little actual gameplay but there is no other experience in gaming like playing Journey. Anyone that doubts video games can be an art form must surely change their minds after playing this.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    Not so much a game as a work of art come to life. During the closing sections of this title, I burst into tears. It moved me like no other game has. I don't know why, exactly... But if you are looking for true catharsis in a video game, look no further. People sometimes mention that the game is too short. Yes... It is very short, but every second you hold the controller is wonderful. It's a perfectly formed and executed game and the fact that you can finish it in just one sitting merely adds to the cohesive, unique atmosphere that Journey offers... And it is a Journey that I plan to take quite a few more times. Expand
  3. Feb 23, 2014
    Probably the best Indie game I've ever played. It's emotional and moving, even though there isn't any dialogue or combat the entire game. The only weak point for me was the feeling of linearity. The game is called Journey but there are times when it feels like you have absolutely no control over yours.
  4. Apr 7, 2012
    This isn't a game my friends, it's an experience. An experience that every self proclaimed gamer should have on their ps3. The whole time I was blown away by the beautiful landscapes and by the mystery surrounding everything. The ending was magnificent to say the least.
  5. Jul 30, 2014
    Never expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play for all PS3 owners. 9/10 Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    There's not much to say. And I don't want to repeat what it's being said about it. The beauty, the loneliness, the haunting atmosphere, the anonymous encounters. I'm in awe, speechless, still. "Journey" is not a game. It's a miracle.
  7. May 10, 2012
    It is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphics are one of the best I have ever seen in a video game and in my opinion, might give Uncharted 3's graphics a run for its money and the online cooperative adds more emotional depth into the experience. Buy it, download it, experience it. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is beautiful. The environments are stunning. The music is haunting. The best PSN game I have ever purchased and I haven't felt this good since Dear Esther on the PC. Buy this game, it is better if you do not know much about it before playing it. Go BUY IT.
  9. May 28, 2012
    More a work of art than a game.Incredibly beautiful but short at barely 2 hours long.There is a slight replay value but it's expensive for what you get,so caveat emptor.
  10. Jul 18, 2012
    Beautiful game. And this game is a experience! There is no other game like this. This is emotionally engaging adventure from beginning to the epic ending.
  11. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing and beautiful game, and a breath of fresh air. The graphics are jaw-dropping and the ability of the game to tell a story with zero dialogue or text is similarly impressive. Words cannot really describe the emotions I felt as I finished the game. Go buy and play the game yourself. Unless you're a troglodyte, you'll be impressed.
  12. Apr 14, 2012
    A unique, amazing experience. Play this if you own a PS3. Visuals and music are perfect. Multiplayer is unique but doesn't add anything gameplay-wise. Story is open for interpretation but the ending is pretty emotional.
  13. Jan 16, 2014
    I'm not much into gaming. Actually I'm not into it at all. Maybe that's why I liked Journey, such a visual and silent adventure of which you can feel all the depth. You just wish it were longer.
  14. Mar 14, 2012
    There really nothing I have seen or read that could have prepared me for this experience. Regardless, I don't want to spoil a single inch of this game. This may sound ridiculous, but perhaps after playing it you will understand. This game completely challenges the very concepts of what video games can be and the kinds of long inert emotions we've never known existed. Anyone with an open-mind and taste for exploration and art should be playing this game. Expand
  15. Mar 13, 2012
    I could go into great, nonsensical, detail on the many reasons as to why you should play this simply magnificent game but I will only give you one; you will have never played anything like it before, and I doubt you ever will again. Unique, emotional, brilliant and enjoyable. The only way to understand how good this game is is to organically experience itself, not by reading the words of other critics. Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2012
    A natural progression from flow thru to flower and now journey. That Game Company once again comes up shining with yet another new experience. If you could convey the feeling you get while playing journey to the human race the world would be a more peaceful place. Journey manages to create/convey an almost spiritual feeling of peace/ wonderment/ relaxation and beauty all rolled into one for the experience that is journey. That game company do this by using some clever minimalistic design concepts. Of minimal interaction and communication with other players while at the same time the game promotes and plays better if you journey together searching and investigating or later as a spirit guide for the newer players helping them achieve the final hidden gems. Although short at just over 3-hours on my first playthru. Journey requires multiple playthrus to see everything and for it to reveal its secrets. So you can at least triple the game-time. another different idea is you never know how many people you actually met or interacted with until completion of the run thru it could be 1 player or more usual multiple players. A must play if you want to play a totally new concept game instead of the stale shooter genre. Expand
  17. Apr 28, 2014
    This isn't so much a game as an experience. This stands alone in stark contrast to every game being made now. A beautiful, profound, and emotional experience, this is worth every dollar of its price despite its short completion time.
  18. Oct 11, 2012
    rilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the game being overhyped and me setting expectations that it was not supposed to achieve. So I waited until a day where I had nothing better to do and gave it shot. BEST CHOICE EVER. Immediately I was drawn in by the visuals in the sand (it looks too real), but confused and not quite sure what my goal was. So I wandered, was rewarded, and looked to do it again. Every step of the way was an iteration on the previous levels mechanics and visual offerings, to a point where I thought I had reached the coolest part of the game. Well? Nope, I was wrong the next level was even better, and the one after that better than the previous. The mood fluctuated and avoided a continuously upbeat feeling, but still was able to deliver visually and from a gameplay side better than the previous level. The music is fantastic and very much tied to my characters actions, and I would highly recommend playing with the volume up a lot extra(I won't lie, [spoiler] I was scared **** the first time one of the rock creatures rose from the ground near me Expand
  19. Apr 12, 2012
    Journey is an amazing experience. To ignore it's brilliance is to be ignorant, and to pass it up would be a shame. From start to finish, it was an amazingly engrossing experience that is absolutely wonderful. And despite the length, I've never become so quickly attached to a world or main character in my gaming career. It's simple; you must play this game.
  20. Sep 12, 2013
    Great game, great story, great atmosphere, I enjoyed the handling, and the sensation of speed at certain points in the game. What I didn't like were one lengthy part of the game that I found dragged on needlessly long, this is why its a 9/10 for me.
  21. May 14, 2012
    Journey is nothing less than an astounding piece of art. The fluid animations and crisp graphics are amazing, if you thought Uncharted 3 looked great you've yet to see Journey. Whilst Journey will have a certain acquired taste and many will say its not a 'game' I thoroughly disagree as at the core of this piece of art is an encapsulating world which is created so wonderfully around you that you'll be absorbed for long stretches. Many make the point that the game is short and doesn't justify a £9.99 price tag and while it could stand to be cheaper, you can see that this is a game with high production values around every corner, there was certainly no cutting corners. Also exciting is the seamless online integration where another random Journey player who is also connected can jump in and out and help you out however to communicate you can only simply use what I call 'beacons' which will look unique to yourself and the other player and make different sounds. Reminding me that the music to accompany the games is nothing short of the most soothing music at times and a wild orchestra at others a masterpiece.

Presentation: 10 Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Sound: 10
    Lasting Appeal: 8.0
    Value for money: 10
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful videogame, an spiritual experience that changes my view of videogames is an art videogame the graphics, the celestial music all is perfect. A masterpiece
  23. Apr 14, 2012
    If there is something that transcends the definition of game that something is Journey.
    Call the Journey game is something wrong simply because he surpasses himself.
    Getting something so incredible for a game downloaded itself deserves 10, but I would not be disappointed if this game was physical, thus give you a nice round 10.
  24. May 31, 2014
    "Journey" is not only a game, it's an emotional adventure. With animations that are just stunning and a game play that keeps you invested, without saying any words. This game is just beautiful and will have you thinking about it after you finish playing.
  25. Aug 1, 2014
    Right up there with Flower, this is one of my favorite PS3 games out there. There are no words but the story is told through fantastic visuals and wonderful music that pulls at the heartstrings. You go through your character's life passage and (should you play online) their intersections with others as you grow and learn and change.

You wake up in the beginning alone and surrounded by
    miles of burning, sprawling desert, and soon discover the looming mountain top which is your goal. Ahead of you there are endless sand dunes, ancient ruins, caves and howling winds, and eventually the stinging cold and snow. Your passage will not be an easy one. And although the goal is to get to the mountaintop, you have almost infinite room to explore and wander the endless beauty of the desert either alone or with a stranger you meet along the way as you soar above ruins and glide across sands while discovering the secrets of a forgotten civilization through murals and sit downs with statues that show you their story and how you fit in....your purpose, who you are.

Each player may take something different from the game but I felt it told the story of life and it has wonderful replay value as not only can you get different trophies you'll continuously find new things and eventually get the white robe to don yourself. This also makes good use of the 6-axis control on the PS3 remote and continues to be a breathtaking experience each time I play. GREAT game...
  26. Mar 24, 2012
    A short, but tasty, meal of a game. This game differs so many from the ones around it, although something of this type and caliber is to be expected from thatgamecompany. The game works so well in its minimalist framework. You find yourself depending and supporting the other character in the game, forming an altruistic relationship with a stranger. It does become frustrating when the support is not mutual, which may be due to a lack of explanation of the controls and the capabilities of the character. Expand
  27. May 28, 2012
    Lovely game. Starts out slow, but draws you into the "journey" as you progress. Visuals are beautiful. The musical scores is the thing that really sets the tone. Meeting other players online is a nice experience. Being helped along by friendly souls felt so nice. While there's not much of a story or action, this gaming experience is touching and unique. Worth every cent!
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    I'm not a casual gamer but this one intrigued me. it was incredible. Short, but very memorable. I haven't had a gaming experience like Journey. If I had to criticize anything, it would be the length, but it was just long enough that made it came together so well.
  29. Mar 17, 2012
    For me at least, this is as good as it gets towards an interactive multi-player (2 player only) experience. The music is beautiful and memorable. The environment changes just enough to stay interesting but not so much that the obvious connection between areas is lost and retains the curiosity to explore it further. The limited interaction between players reflects how people from anywhere can still communicate without words and work together, while the length of the game is also ideal because its not so long that you constantly get pulled away from your companion and not too short to feel like nothing more than a preview of a future game. It's well worth the $15 if you want this experience, but probably way overpriced for anyone that wants an actual traditional game. Pac-man has more 'game' than Journey, but this is a much greater experience than any other game I've played. Expand
  30. Aug 10, 2012
    An emotional, and creative experience, and not just artistically, but technically. I went into the game nothing, and after becoming attached to my companion I finished the game only to find out I was playing co-op the whole time (I wondered why the AI seemed so intelligent and anxious). The down side being that the game is very short, and very easy.
  31. Mar 17, 2012
    Just as Journey does not need any words or dialog to convey your emotions, reviews cannot explain it in mere words. To make this short(like the game), this is one of the most emotional and touching games I have had the pleasure to play. It's a game anyone, even non-gamers, can play and fall in love with. It will hold you untill the very end, and as the credits roll you will realise that you have just played one of the best games of the generation, or probably of all time. Do play this game. Our industry needs more games like this and the developers deserve all the credits we can give them. Expand
  32. Feb 21, 2013
    Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão, não apenas para jogar, mas algo filosófico. Expand
  33. Oct 30, 2013
    I simply cannot find any reason to give this game anything less than a full score here.

The visuals are simply gorgeous, the gameplay is deceptively simple and yet it's very engrossing and the music and sound are as close to perfect as mortal hands could make to the point where it's a very engaging experience and more times than not will leave you with the feeling that you've played
    something that doesn't come around very often.

That said, it IS an odd-duck and for gamers that are more used to the usual games on offer, this might make them be less impressed. But, if you can step outside of your usual game expectations and just let it take you in, you may find yourself with an experience that will likely leave a lasting impression on you.

Sure, it's a short game... you can beat it in 2 hours on average... However, in the "Quality vs Quantity" argument, it wins the "Quality" award many times over.

That said, if you're a gamer that prefers your games to be intense in action and with a fast-paced feel to them, this might not be your cup of joe... the game is (I hate to say it because it will sound incredibly poncy) more a work of art and if you simply cannot stand a game that likes to take it's time you might not find this game as enjoyable as other games you may have in your library.

Still, if you are willing to give it a chance and are okay letting yourself get swept up in a truly immersive experience then this might be a game that will give you memories that you'll carry with you for a long, long time.
  34. Apr 7, 2012
    Cons: only one - the price. The game is too short to charge 15 dollars. Games that cost say 60 dollars can last for hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game only lasts a few hours. Maybe 10 bucks would be the top end for value. Pros: the aesthetics alone make this top notch. It is so beautiful to look at and to play and the feeling of playing matches perfectly the look...smooth, fun, clever. I wish the makers would start turning out more games like this, Flower along with this game are wonderful, but more product please. Expand
  35. Sep 11, 2013
    Art in video games has always been a wild topic of discussion, however games like Journey just limits itself to one of the most complex forms of expression, while keeping the own integrity of the usual game mechanics.

Journey it's a vast experience that no one should miss, while keeping a really simplistic concept, the game manages to be unique and beautiful, all of this while you
    interact with it.
    Something that amazes me about Journey, it's the way that the game manages to handle each thing, that you would usually consider something minor in modern games, in a completely special and unique way, all of this being done by the incredible, but simplistic, visuals.
    While the music, visual and controls in "Journey" are Incredible, the thing that really stood up the most, was the interaction with one and other, it always manage to flow, and maintain almost a cinematic experience without loosing the game integrity.

Throughout the game you begin to feel a general connection with character itself, (even if he never talks nor has any facial expression), that's the really special thing about "Journey" it always feels like a Journey, the different experiences that you have each time that you start a new game are incomparable to the last ones that you have.
    The game storyline manages to be quite tricky to figure out what it really it's all about, and even then you may be wrong, but it doesn't matter, because in Journey it's not about winning or loosing or maintaining a "record", it all lies beneath the superficiality of those concepts and go much further than that, "Journey", it's all about the experience. After all, it's that what art it's all about?
  36. Nov 15, 2012
    This is probably the first downloadable game that I'd ever consider winning game of the year. First let's get this out of the way, the game is only 2 to 3 hours long, but I can guarantee you that those few hours will be an experience like none other. The gameplay is simplistic, only being able to sing and jump and float around. It is fairly linear, but the setting felt vast at moments. The game is a work of art. Period. The emotion and story that is conveyed is powerful, despite there being no dialog. The painting like art style and gorgeous environments really suck you into the game. I actually sat my controller down at moments just to look at what was on my screen, it was that amazing.The music is also beautiful and truly fits the feel of the game. Prior to playing this game, I decided to beat this game in one sitting. I have played it multiple times and I highly recommend playing it this way, because the impact of the game is all the more powerful that way. Also, despite this game being playable offline, you will want to play it online. The emotional connection that you create with a person that you never talk to once is so mind boggling strong that I literally cried a bit when I had to depart from my newly made comrade. If you have $15, just waiting to be spent, look no further than Journey to fill any gaming desire you have. Thatgamecompany should be applauded for adding something new and beautiful to our gaming lives. Despite it's shortness, I fail to find any other flaws in the game, and the all around experience is something every gamer should try. Journey gets a 10/10. Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2012
    You see Quarter to Three's review on the left? Quarter to Three are just used to being spoon-fed action, they have no nuance, they have no subtlety or pacing or sense for atmosphere. They're used to roaring guns, massive explosions, and awesome actions sequences. If you want to be spoon-fed action and have more patience for repetitiveness than tosspots, who only care about a competent multiplayer and are only satisfied when they're wielding a gun the size of a car with an alien willy bouncing off your space helmet, I would strongly recommend you to any Triple-A shooter in the past 3 years. If you want a carefully crafted experience, with elegant yet simple gameplay and stunning visuals, and with some of the most meaningful multi-player I've ever played in a game, get Journey. You know that feeling, that feeling you get when you play certain games, the feeling that makes you realize why you started playing games in the first place, and the feeling that reminds you why you still play games? Journey is that feeling. Without one single word of spoken dialogue, it tells a compelling story, a compelling essence that many games fail to convey with pages of script. That's the most impressive aspect of Journey, go buy this game. Maybe in the first playthrough, you might not understand it, but play it again, and you will see. You have to drop pretenses of what a game is, because what is a game? Why do we play games? You have to get that feeling, and for that particular feeling, play Journey. Expand
  38. Jul 4, 2012
    Beautifully visceral and vocal in its silence. Journey is a testament to games as a storytelling device without forcing cumbersome dialogue on the player. This game is paced perfectly and is raised to emotional heights never seen in gaming before with its sweeping soundtrack that multiplies any emotion felt by the player. The multiplayer is meaningful because of the bond of companionship between a player will create with a stranger. A great buy, and the pinnacle of thatgamecompany's talent so far. Expand
  39. Jun 26, 2014
    An amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer you are you really need to sit down for 2 hours of your life and play through Journey. 10/10 Expand
  40. Mar 15, 2012
    This is by far one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had since 1984 when I started playing games. But you need to know what your getting yourself into first. There are no bullets, no nudity, no spoken words and no blood and gore. This is a game about beauty, religion, life, and death. There is truly nothing else like it. This is for the intellectual crowd. Longtime gamers who have seen and done everything and feel jaded with the market. The people who require more than a gun and a target to be entertained. It's true the game can be completed in about two hours but it's made to be replayable and I promise you those two hours are more entertaining than games at $60 that last 80 hours. In other words you will be blown away by this experience. It's that good! There is no filler material in here and everything here is all top notch. Don't bother calling yourself a gamer if you don't play this game...GAME OF THE YEAR material no doubt!! Expand
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    Journey reminds us that long ago we came to "see" art as something far deeper than photo-realism.
    Like a beautiful dream, this experience though brief. . . is hauntingly memorable.Playful yet purposeful
    gaming elements create moments of joy, originality, and emotion not to be missed!
  42. Jan 5, 2013
    This game moved me to tears. After having completed it, I feel like I've learned something, or gained something in my life. I have never, *never* experienced something that touched me like Journey did. The experience is brief and very subtle, so if you prefer being beaten over the head by an overwrought and emotionally bankrupt 12-hour FPS campaign, this is not the game for you. But if you're looking for an experience that is simple, pure, unique, and truly, truly beautiful, you owe it to yourself to experience Journey. Collapse
  43. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyone who cares to look deep enough. If you don't, you only cheat yourself out of a great experience. If you do, then you get something great. Expand
  44. Mar 13, 2012
    Journey of any strict attempt cunningly escapes. Even when the surprising conclusion is reached, what remains is more dazzling than factual information â
  45. Mar 19, 2012
    Think Portal. I could end my review there. Incredibly short? Yes. Worth it? Oh hell yes! As others have said, it's an experience tough to put into words. It's less a "game" than it is an "experience." And I feel that Journey (like Portal) contained more plot, more memorable moments, than most full-length games. If you're the kind of person who shys away at colors other than grey and brown, and cringe at the thought of any story outside of "blow the guy in front of you up" then by all means, skip this one. If you're sick of games that had little to no thought put into it outside of the engine, then this is definitely the game for you. Expand
  46. Jan 31, 2013
    Journey.....oh dios mio Journey LEJOS lo mejor que he jugado en mucho pero mucho tiempo. Es para aplaudír a la pantalla.

Mas que por su arte o su musica, es por como las utiliza para la experiencia.
    Eres tu quien esta haciendo la travesia, tu estas superando los obstaculos que se te presentan, y tu estas haciendote de un amigo sin siquiera hablar con el con palabras por la
    seguridad que te brinda viajar con el.
    TODOS DEBERIAN VIVIR ESTA EXPERIENCIA.
  47. Sep 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have mixed feelings about Journey, because it's unlike any game I've ever played. If I were to have reviewed this after my first time through, I'd have rated it a 4 or 5...but after subsequent journeys, something clicked and I just "got it." I feel like a hippie saying that, but there it is. LOL! On the one hand, Journey is short. When I initially finished it after fumbling my way through, I remember thinking, "That's it??? What the HELL?!" Then I played it again. And again. I don't know why, but something about the experience touched me, and I don't know why. I think part of it is the experience of communicating with other people without the use of words...and cooperating with whoever you happen to meet up with without being able to articulate emotions like gratitude, frustration or happiness (when I've been helped by someone, I chirp 3 times hoping the other player knows I'm trying to say, "You're AWESOME." LOL!). This might sound cheesy, but it gave me hope that someday humanity may be able to surpass its differences - cultural, linguistic, etc. - and we will be able to build a better world. This is NOT a normal video game, so if you're looking for something challenging that requires skill, this is NOT the game for you. If you're looking for a surreal experience that feels more like art than a game, then you'll really enjoy this. My impression is that it's a kind of psychedelic game in that it has a deeper point other than leveling or killing mobs. I hate to sound like every other reviewer on the internet, but it's more like art than a game - and yet it is a game. After I initially rushed through my first journey and then went on several more journeys grinding for my white dress (lol) and farmed achievements...each subsequent one felt more like a meditation, if that makes sense. This game is beautiful, simple and touching. Even though I had no idea who I was playing with (you don't get to see the ID of the people you run into until after the credits) I actually *cared* about most of them and grew to like them - even though we only communicated with chirps. Journey is an artistic, spiritual experience using gaming as a medium. I play it when I want to relax and not feel the pressure to grind, stay alive or achieve that epic win. It's truly revolutionary, and though I don't play it every day, it holds a special place in my heart and I can't help but love it. Expand
  48. Jun 9, 2012
    One of the greatest experiences I've ever had playing a video game. The music and graphics are absolutely beautiful. So simple yet overwhelming. Even after I collected all of the trophies and collectibles I continued playing it just for fun. Highly recommended.
  49. Jul 20, 2012
    Journey is really beautiful, but if it was a solo experience I'd probably give it an 8. The people you meet along the way are what makes Journey really unique. Your mileage may vary depending on who you run across, but ideally you'll meet at least a couple people who know what they're doing and are willing to stay with you and help you out. When you have a partner, the game is a lot more meaningful, and it makes the times when you don't have a partner that much more emotional. The subtle communication via pinging lets you show a lot, from a large "over here!" burst, to a frantic "help help help help help help", to a simple "thanks for being with me". Expand
  50. Mar 3, 2013
    Journey is one of the most memorable games ever made. The goal of the game is very simple: you start at point A and work towards reaching point B. You will do some light platforming and puzzle solving along the way to unravel a mysterious story. The controls are equally simple as you move with the joystick and then use two action buttons, one to jump and the other to communicate. You will likely meet others along the way and this is where the game shows its true power as you learn to communicate and work with your ally (I won't say anymore-- it'll ruin the experience). It's really hard to describe Journey... it is an "artsy" game but one that I think everyone should try. Journey's minimalist concept, simple gameplay, beautiful visuals and tranquil soundtrack create an experience unlike any other. The short adventure, which only lasts about 2 hours, left me with many different thoughts and feelings... but it was an adventure I'll never forget. Expand
  51. May 18, 2013
    Journey is a game that is not for everyone. There's no words, no explosions, no gunfire, just great music and a beautiful atmosphere. From the music to the graphics to the controls to the physics, this game is great! Very relaxing and fluid to play through. The game is not very long as you can get through it in a couple of hours, but it's well worth your time and money. I like the way they did the online/multiplayer feature where you meet random people on your journey and can travel together with them. You can't talk to each other which makes the emotion of it better to me. I highly recommend this great game! Expand
  52. Mar 7, 2013
    Journey is the best example of how most simple of a game can be it opens up an endless amount of stories to be told and experience!
    I beg to differ on how someone said it's a short game well,the concept of journey is the meaning of life itself.
    The truth is life IS short but are you going to make it a good journey till' the end?
    The concept behind Journey cannot be beat you start off on
    the Journey of your life you meet people,some just comes and go some are there to guide you or helping get past all the obstacles in the end you know that you are never a loner.
    It's the game that cannot be describe by words just play it and if you feel warm deep inside after the credits roll you know it's QUITE a Journey. No numbers can properly rate this "game" just the way the meaning of life is,it cannot be measured!
  53. Jan 6, 2013
    Actually more like a 9.5... If you are willing to pay $15 for an awesome two-hour movie, then cough up the money and download this two-hour game. It looks amazing and the soundtrack is perfect. I doubt everyone will feel exactly how I felt, but I can definitely say that it is really an experience.
  54. Mar 23, 2012
    How are you people beating this in an hour and a half?!? I'm confused by this. It took me four and a half hours to get through it the first time. I didn't even explore! I just went through the game! I never died. I never slowed down. I simply went through the game. Did I get a longer game or something? Regardless, I do love this game. I don't get the "emotional" aspect of it though...that critics seem to talk about. I honestly think they're just trying to be even more pretentious than all the other critics. It is a phenomenal game, however. Story? No. No story. Characters? Not really. There is no reason to care about your character, the people you meet online, or even about a plot. You are simply taking in the atmosphere and trying to work toward a goal. it is beautiful and, at times, awe-inspiring. Emotional though? No. That is Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, and Kingdom Hearts territory. Journey is simply an interactive piece of artwork, much like Linger in Shadows, but there is DEFINITELY more interaction in Journey. Flower still remains my favorite game by Thegamecompany, but Journey is never leaving my PS3. Would it kill them to give us a platinum trophy? Seriously... What the frick, guys? Also, can we get a 3D patch? This is a gorgeous game and 3D would really push it over the edge for me. The same goes for Flower. ;) Expand
  55. Mar 15, 2012
    The game is short, but totally worth it! It has to be said, it's very short, I finished it in about 2 hours, but IMO it has good replay value so don't worry about it. Oh and I really recommend playing through it in one go, it was truly a fantastic thing to experience the journey together with the same companion, even if you have no idea who it was.

Actually, I found out later that I had
    played with two seperate people, but I had still played through a majority with one, and it showed. It's hard to explain, but you build up this trust with the other companion, I don't wanna say to much but know this... This journey will be somewhat challenging if you intend to do it the "right way" instead of just rushing through, and doing this with another player gives that "we fight together, we die together"-bond. I was expecting actually to do travel mostly by myself but this was indeed a welcome surprise.

I say that not only is this an unique and fantastic game worth every penny... It's also really beautiful, and then I'm talking not only about the visuals which themselves are absolutely outstanding, the music is also really amazing. It's simply a very complete package. It was fun, the game is... Well, the best word to describe it is playful.

"Journey" might not be for everyone, but for anyone wanting a break from all the games about shooting or slashing different creatures, even if it's only 2 or 3 hours, should really look into this game. Seriously, go get it if you haven't already, that is if you have access to a Ps3. If that's the case then buy one, borrow one or steal one if needed... BECAUSE THIS GAME IS FRIKKIN' BEAUTIFUL!

So the price is a bit high, but I still recommend it, it's a truly unique game and I hope to see similar multiplayer in other games in the future. 10/10.
  56. Mar 17, 2012
    For those of us who enjoy rich experiences filled with color, beauty, sound, emotion, and companionship...then you my friend can join in on the uplifting experience known a Journey. Connecting you through musical notes in a vast unforgiving world with a random stranger is not only powerful and compelling...but a must. Do. NOT. Play. This. Game. Alone. The magic is finding a traveler to journey with. Short or not, this you can't miss... Expand
  57. Mar 16, 2012
    Lots of people are complaining about this because it was fifteen dollars and less than two hours. That is true, but fifteen dollars really isn't much for a video game. A movie ticket cost almost as much and doesn't give the sense of mystery and exploration this does. People need to understand that THE PEOPLE MAKING THESE GAMES HAVE TO MAKE MONEY. It's not something they do for fun alone. The game is beautiful and fun. Don't be cheap. Expand
  58. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is a pure experience, a masterpiece that should not be missed. The poetic journey has filled every part of my mind when I was flying all around, above the magnificent landscapes. Do not hesitate, immerse yourself into this adventure with an open mind. Perhaps, like me, you will be rewarded with an intense sense of accomplishment. This experience is a gift, and the stranger that you'll meet on your path will become, every time, the best friend you've never had. Expand
  59. May 25, 2012
    Shocked that it lived up to the hype.

Very expensive for the playtime, and not sure I'd fancy a second playthrough, but well worth it the for the experience you won't get in other titles.
  60. Mar 17, 2014
    This was the first game I played on PS3 and I have to say, it's magnificent!

Pros:
    Stunning Visuals
    Excellent Soundtrack
    It provokes emotion
    Story well executed

Journey is one of the best games I have ever played and I won't ever forget it!
  61. Mar 17, 2012
    Best game I have ever played. If ever there was an argument for games as art, this is it. The mechanics are intrinsically tied to the story, and it's just...awesome. Short, yes. But nevermind $15, I could've paid $60 for this and still been happy.
  62. Jul 1, 2012
    Journey is one of the few games that transcend the medium and becomes something more. In the first few moments of the game I was waiting for the game to really hit me. I was waiting for it to justify all the great reviews. It happened during multiplayer. With no way of chatting I with another gamer you can see more clearly their character. Will they leave you or stay? Will they help you? The symbolism is off the charts. I am on a personal journey through life and so is this other individual. Our paths cross. Maybe, without knowing anything about each other, we can help each other? The journey can be a lonely one, but sometimes all it takes one person....Journey moved me. It moved me in a way that few movies ever have. It may not appeal to the 12 year old Call of Duty junkies (I love CoD btw), but to those of us who have experienced a few things Journey will resonate deeply. A 10 is a huge score, and I was tempted to knock it down to a 9 because the game is so short, but Journey is so much more than a game. Because this dev decided to reach for something more, something greater, and they NAILED IT, I give it a 10. Expand
  63. Mar 17, 2012
    I have never played a game more emotionally satisfying. Journey sets out to achieve something beautiful, memorable and accessible and it does it. Somehow it pulls everything off perfectly. I have thought and thought about it and there is nothing at all wrong with this game. Nothing it tries to do fails. Multiplayer is seamless and beautiful, there is literally no lag or glitches and the download space is tiny. Gameplay is smooth, music and visuals are unmatched. No game is like this, so it sets itself apart. There is nothing else left to say. Go, play and feel the amazement for yourself. Expand
  64. May 11, 2012
    Yes, it's short. Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I loved it. I found it relaxing, fun and beautiful. It's not the perfect gaming experience but it is pretty close. It is a much needed change of pace and that's what makes it so special. I played through two or three times and then used the level select option to farm for a few more trophies. Highly recommended.
  65. Jan 18, 2013
    Journey proves that quality over quantity is indeed true.The amazing moments you experience in this game are much more significant than any other game moments before it. Masterpiece!
  66. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the need of a huge budget or luxuries AAA titles are given, they have proven that games indeed are art.
    Thomas Merton once said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” Journey made people drown in creativity and be lost within a painting. We wondered what was next, we became attached to this cloaked figure that we knew nothing about and more we learned his story with him the closer we got to him. This journey, set in the most beautiful world in gaming I’ve ever seen, heard or felt, is what gaming is all about; living the experience.
  67. Nov 13, 2014
    I hate calling games an experience. It's basically a buzzword at this point. Games should be about gameplay, about challenge and overcoming obstacles. This game took my prejudices and slapped them into my face.
    Journey makes you feel. It talks to you without talking. It tells a story without telling. It's simple, and that makes it great.
  68. Mar 18, 2012
    An experience like none other. One of the most beautiful and appealing games to grace gaming in a long time. The game is short, but was created to play in one sitting. The game simply places you in the shoes of a mysterious robbed figure who, for some reason, is on a Journey across the desert to a Mountain Top in the distance. The game features some of the most visually stunning landscapes, flawless and easy to navigate controls that are fluid and easy to get through, as well as some of the most mesmerizing music that syncs up perfectly with everything you do on your adventure. Journey includes a new twist on the co-op gameplay, walking around the desert landscapes are actually really fun, and this other figure following you, or leading you around will become one of your best friends, even with no way to communicate (other than musical chirps), on top of that it displays no name.

This game is an artistic and emotional experience that most people will love, while some who would rather like explosions or gun play may get tired of it. Keep an open mind to a new experience and expect something completely different, because this game features not only that, but an emotional Journey that will be remembered for years to come. Simply amazing, and deserves to be played by anyone.

10/10.
  69. Mar 19, 2012
    Can somebody please get these intellect-lacking users giving 0s and 1s off this site?!

Anyways, this is now officially the greatest downloadable title of ALL TIME.
    No game will touch you on the high subliminal, emotional, and intellectual level that Journey does.
    When you get the game, you'll realize how high the production values are, and you'll see why 15 dollars may even be too low.
  70. Jun 6, 2012
    I look at all the big franchises of gaming that have millions dropped on their development, many years in the making , and hyped to no end. And then I look at Journey, which isn't a big budget game nor is it a pretentious and small indie game. It's a short game, yet if it was longer then two hours it probably wouldn't have exactly the same impact. Rarely there are games like Journey, if at all, and for more then one reason. Real beauty and art in videogames is something rather rare. There are "those" games that people always mention when there's talk of videogame art, for example: Okami, shadow of the colossus/ico, el shaddai and such. Journey, the short non-big budget game somehow manages to surpass almost all of these popular and familiar games. It's everything; the music, the beautiful landscapes and animations, the unbelivable atmosphere, the fluid unique gameplay, and the charm, simplicity and emotion that the game carries out.All to deliever one of the most important games of this generation. Now, for some people this might be a boring, short and rather weird game. That's understandable, because some people simply like their games with more explotions and action. But even for the cynic and childish of gamers this game can appeal greatly, it all depands if you let it to absorb you and invoke your feelings. Try it, you might end up loving it more then I do :) Expand
  71. Mar 15, 2012
    The game is beautiful and immersive. Mechanics are smooth and wonderfully intuitive. In short, it is a joy to play. The experience stuck with me long after I was away from my PS3. Some have complained about length, but for me, this is non-issue. The replay value is great, especially for the second and even third play through. Also, my time is valuable. I would rather play a great game that lasts an hour an half than a merely good game that lasts much longer. Highly recommend. Expand
  72. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - another companion can join your journey at any time; you can travel together but communication is limited the a single action of emitting a whale-like call. Journey is a lovely little game, that anyone who appreciates ingenuity and art will enjoy. Expand
  73. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful game. Still enjoy playing it after having finished it at least 8-9 times. Only fault is that for the significant delay in release date the amount of work put in doesnt seem justifiable. The world is not large enough with all of the exploring finished in a few hours and if set to finishing the game in one continuous session it would not take you more than 1 1/2 hours.
  74. Apr 4, 2012
    I never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environment rather than dialogue, much like Shadow of the Colossus. The music's absolutely incredible. I recommend the game to everyone, particularly if you can find it on sale for $10 or less. I don't know if it'll be my favorite game at the end of the year, but I guarantee that it'll be on the list. I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be the best downloadable title you play all year, and perhaps this decade. Expand
  75. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Expand
  76. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  77. Mar 16, 2012
    If there's an afterlife I want it to be exactly like this game. It's art. It's love. It's human compassion and trust and beauty and peace. It is what humanity would be if it lost the power to hate. It isn't a game. It's..... God!
  78. Mar 19, 2012
    1 hour of gameplay that simply made me love video games even more. Who said video games couldn't be a work of art? True I just played 1 hour but I will definitely go back to play it for who knows how many more times. For those who have played: Limbo, Lost in Shadow and Flower and I don't know if for some but to me maybe a little to Shadow of the Colossus. You won't be dissapointed by this game.
  79. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a mastery of Avante Garde expression. It is short, and simple, but it is something I will never forget as long as Iâ
  80. Apr 22, 2012
    Journey is a one-of-a-kind game, as you venture through with strangers, and no communicating whatsoever, except the chirping you have. So far, this is my top 2012 game pick.
  81. Mar 23, 2012
    I knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is truly beautiful. You are not capable of communicating in any way, Thatgamecompany does not force you to cooperate, but you do it because otherwise you'll be all alone. When I played it I befriended another player, and we helped each other, when I got kick back by a flying creature, my new unknown friend ran back to me and helped me up. A truly touching moment in my gaming carrier. Sadly we got lost to each other, like losing a someone you loved and I was all alone.... Truly amazing :) Expand
  82. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey is the closest thing to meditation for gamers that has ever existed. It is stunningly beautiful and utterly enchanting from start to finish. Don't let the shortness put you off as this game delivers in emotion in its 2 hr span, more than any 10 hr + game that i have played.

I cannot stress enough how good this game is. Starting alone as a nameless stranger with mere jumping and singing at your disposal, to sand surfing and flying and meeting fellow travelers (also nameless) on your quest to the mountain. Everything and anything this game does is something you simply must experience. Please stop reading this now and go and play Journey.
  83. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps you enjoy the story. You play a character that is traveling to a high mountain in the distance. On the way you will be walking through a desert then high up in the snowy mountain. There are creatures on the game, which you are tasked with staying out of their sight. The game also has a co-op aspect, which is simple yet helpful. As you make the journey you might meet up with other players that can help you solve puzzles quicker and even help each other regenerate you magic which makes you fly for a brief period. Journey is a simple yet entertaining fun game that proves that video games are art. Expand
  84. May 24, 2012
    Lost 1 point because its short, gains the other 9 for its beauty and the joy of playing this experience beginning to end. Don't pick this up looking for a game like most others, this is meant to be an experience, short and beautiful.
  85. Mar 15, 2012
    this is an amazing experience that everyone must play you're really stupid if you don't buy it you'll be missing out on game of the year. Theres so much more then the videos reviews show and I LOVE THIS GAME
  86. Mar 16, 2012
    If you judge Journey as just a game, it's not that great. It's short, it's easy, there's not even all that much to it, in terms of gameplay. However, thinking of it in broader terms, as unique form of entertainment, that just happens to use the PS3 as a medium, it's incredible. More enjoyable than just a game, more of an experience, and giving it a 10 doesn't even seem adequate.
  87. Jun 21, 2012
    A perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developer can hope to create.
    thatgamecompany have set a standard which I can only hope their future projects can come close to meeting, I am very thankful I was able to play through their vision and I wish them the best of luck in the future! Journey is my 'Game of the Year' for 2012.
  88. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  89. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  90. Dec 25, 2013
    Journey is an absolutely beautiful and well crafted game. It makes you feel like you are on a grand adventure and you forget you are really playing a video-game. A definite must have for any Playstation 3 owner.
  91. Mar 17, 2012
    The game is short, but I assure you will live a unique experience, I loved the game, the graphics are excellent, the music is amazing ... the game is linear, but worth the $ 14.99 and more
  92. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is truly amazing, its not often games live up to the hype but this one does. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played and if your playing this with a good stereo im sure you would agree. The music is as much a part of the game as the gameplay itself. The experience is so beautiful that I am going to be booking sessions for my friends so they can experience the game in my theater. I personally wasnt bothered by the short length, I thought it was appropriate and well worth the price considering the quality. This is yet another to have get a ps3 if you dont have one. Expand
  93. Apr 24, 2013
    Beautiful game. Quite the experience! I'm glad I got to play this game, it is unique and charming. My only complaint is it took only an hour to beat.
  94. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  95. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  96. Mar 25, 2014
    I'm so glad I was introduced to this gorgeous game. The gameplay, artwork, and the soundtrack especially are all hauntingly beautiful. Journey doesn't strive to be a very difficult or long game. Instead, it's an immersive experience. It has the most interesting co-op experience by far that I gone through. It was just really touching knowing that I had a companion going through the same trials, even though I couldn't communicate to him/her with words. Expand
  97. Oct 3, 2012
    When I was done playing, I went over to twitter to personally thanked the crew that made this game. I was soooo happy. Finally! This game is going to be at top-5 2012 for sure!
  98. Mar 15, 2012
    A very refreshing game. I've already played through it 4 times and plan on having a couple more goes at it. Good games are hard to come by now a days. It seems too often that I buy a game only for it to sit on my shelf for months without being beaten because after a couple hours of game play it becomes a chore to continue playing the game. This was not the case with Journey. Journey is everything I could have asked for in a perfect game: simple, compelling, visually mesmerizing, and short. The anonymous multiplier was a welcomed twist. Journey was wonderful from beginning to end and I'd gladly work an hour or two to pay for this inexpensive and awesome game. Expand
  99. Mar 30, 2012
    Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up, yeah it's only 2 hours max, but it's the most rich 2 hours of gameplay you can pick up on the PSN, Expand
  100. Mar 15, 2012
    Telling you what happens would do the experience a disservice. This isn't a game to wield skills to triumph over tricky challenges - it's a place to feel wonder, camaraderie, adversity and joy. You've no doubt heard lots of vague over the top claims about it already, but you may even find the meaning of life in this game. It's that profound. It's not an hour - it's 2 or 3 the first time through. Still, that gives you good odds of encountering another player in the same area and even in the last 10 minutes it made me feel more than a whole box of 60-hour games could.

It manages to convey more meaning than most games or movies, without using a single word (outside of the clumsy "how to play" overlays at the start...) In fact, it would have lost some impact if it tried to spell things out for you - instead, the moments you encounter may be the same as most other players find, but they are yours. Like life itself, you may be like countless others who went before you, but you are you and this is your story. Everything is fleeting, so just enjoy the moment and push on to what's next.

Meeting other players, you may not be able to articulate your communication well, but there's a common understanding that the other who is with you is another living person and that changes the nature of the experience knowing that you're sharing it with someone else. It's a beautiful experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels some connection to other humans, no matter how little.
  101. Jan 5, 2013

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]