Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Mar 21, 2012
    A good game at first. Strange visuals and a weird way to play. It's nice until you realize how short it is for such a demanding price. The graphics are plain, game play is tedious. The upside is it looks really good. Other than that, I wouldn't suggest its worth the price
  2. May 25, 2012
    Shocked that it lived up to the hype.

Very expensive for the playtime, and not sure I'd fancy a second playthrough, but well worth it the for the experience you won't get in other titles.
  3. Mar 17, 2012
    Best game I have ever played. If ever there was an argument for games as art, this is it. The mechanics are intrinsically tied to the story, and it's just...awesome. Short, yes. But nevermind $15, I could've paid $60 for this and still been happy.
  4. Mar 17, 2012
    I have never played a game more emotionally satisfying. Journey sets out to achieve something beautiful, memorable and accessible and it does it. Somehow it pulls everything off perfectly. I have thought and thought about it and there is nothing at all wrong with this game. Nothing it tries to do fails. Multiplayer is seamless and beautiful, there is literally no lag or glitches and theI have never played a game more emotionally satisfying. Journey sets out to achieve something beautiful, memorable and accessible and it does it. Somehow it pulls everything off perfectly. I have thought and thought about it and there is nothing at all wrong with this game. Nothing it tries to do fails. Multiplayer is seamless and beautiful, there is literally no lag or glitches and the download space is tiny. Gameplay is smooth, music and visuals are unmatched. No game is like this, so it sets itself apart. There is nothing else left to say. Go, play and feel the amazement for yourself. Expand
  5. May 11, 2012
    Yes, it's short. Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I loved it. I found it relaxing, fun and beautiful. It's not the perfect gaming experience but it is pretty close. It is a much needed change of pace and that's what makes it so special. I played through two or three times and then used the level select option to farm for a few more trophies. Highly recommended.
  6. Jan 18, 2013
    Journey proves that quality over quantity is indeed true.The amazing moments you experience in this game are much more significant than any other game moments before it. Masterpiece!
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the needMark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the need of a huge budget or luxuries AAA titles are given, they have proven that games indeed are art.
    Thomas Merton once said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” Journey made people drown in creativity and be lost within a painting. We wondered what was next, we became attached to this cloaked figure that we knew nothing about and more we learned his story with him the closer we got to him. This journey, set in the most beautiful world in gaming I’ve ever seen, heard or felt, is what gaming is all about; living the experience.
  8. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  9. Aug 7, 2015
    A mysterious, spiritual and strange game. But a surprisingly enjoyable adventure. It is different than other games. It is if you are dreaming during your sleep. You find yourself in strange places. With strange carpets? papers? (I dont know what they are actually) that can help you.And your journey continues towards somekind of special mountain. You dont really have enemies to fight andA mysterious, spiritual and strange game. But a surprisingly enjoyable adventure. It is different than other games. It is if you are dreaming during your sleep. You find yourself in strange places. With strange carpets? papers? (I dont know what they are actually) that can help you.And your journey continues towards somekind of special mountain. You dont really have enemies to fight and you cant really get killed.When I first started the game it looked a bit dull for the first 15 minutes, but travelling further it became better and better. And I have to say that the game is something special. It is (like said by others), at moments really a stunning audiovisual experience. This game leaves everything to your own interpretation. But it appears eventually to be a spriritual game where you try to find your path to devotion, God and heaven. The great sounds and visuals lead to a mysterious enjoyable atmosphere. The games drawbacks are its limited saving options (only autosave from your last adventure as far as I know ) and unfortunately limited content (about 2.5 hours). But it is still good value for money. A special game that is different than any other game you played in your lifetime. I give it a 85 score. Expand
  10. Jan 11, 2017
    Hay muchos lanzamientos que son catalogados como experiencias en lugar de videojuegos. Buscando con esta definición otorgarle un valor que no se corresponde con los productos recordados por todos como grandes videojuegos. Normalmente la gente lo utiliza para referirse, de forma despectiva, a aquellos juegos que no consideran correcto su precio por alejarse de los estándares.

Sin estar

Sin estar más en desacuerdo por esta absurda disputa, Journey no solo es un magnífico juego. Se trata ademas de una experiencia notable. Tiene el impacto visual y sonoro que necesita, las mecánicas, el feeling, el ritmo y la duración adecuada. Hay pocas cosas que sobren o que falten.

Personalmente, el guión no me ha impactado tanto como lo ha hecho con otras personas. Y aunque no lo haya hecho, si que me parece un notable claro en este apartado. Es tanta la personalidad que tiene Journey, es tanta su calidad como producto, tan mimado en sus detalles y tan bonito, que es una experiencia para recordar con creces. Y uno de los mejores juegos de PS3.
  11. Nov 13, 2014
    I hate calling games an experience. It's basically a buzzword at this point. Games should be about gameplay, about challenge and overcoming obstacles. This game took my prejudices and slapped them into my face.
    Journey makes you feel. It talks to you without talking. It tells a story without telling. It's simple, and that makes it great.
  12. Mar 18, 2012
    An experience like none other. One of the most beautiful and appealing games to grace gaming in a long time. The game is short, but was created to play in one sitting. The game simply places you in the shoes of a mysterious robbed figure who, for some reason, is on a Journey across the desert to a Mountain Top in the distance. The game features some of the most visually stunningAn experience like none other. One of the most beautiful and appealing games to grace gaming in a long time. The game is short, but was created to play in one sitting. The game simply places you in the shoes of a mysterious robbed figure who, for some reason, is on a Journey across the desert to a Mountain Top in the distance. The game features some of the most visually stunning landscapes, flawless and easy to navigate controls that are fluid and easy to get through, as well as some of the most mesmerizing music that syncs up perfectly with everything you do on your adventure. Journey includes a new twist on the co-op gameplay, walking around the desert landscapes are actually really fun, and this other figure following you, or leading you around will become one of your best friends, even with no way to communicate (other than musical chirps), on top of that it displays no name.

This game is an artistic and emotional experience that most people will love, while some who would rather like explosions or gun play may get tired of it. Keep an open mind to a new experience and expect something completely different, because this game features not only that, but an emotional Journey that will be remembered for years to come. Simply amazing, and deserves to be played by anyone.

10/10.
  13. Jun 6, 2012
    I look at all the big franchises of gaming that have millions dropped on their development, many years in the making , and hyped to no end. And then I look at Journey, which isn't a big budget game nor is it a pretentious and small indie game. It's a short game, yet if it was longer then two hours it probably wouldn't have exactly the same impact. Rarely there are games like Journey, ifI look at all the big franchises of gaming that have millions dropped on their development, many years in the making , and hyped to no end. And then I look at Journey, which isn't a big budget game nor is it a pretentious and small indie game. It's a short game, yet if it was longer then two hours it probably wouldn't have exactly the same impact. Rarely there are games like Journey, if at all, and for more then one reason. Real beauty and art in videogames is something rather rare. There are "those" games that people always mention when there's talk of videogame art, for example: Okami, shadow of the colossus/ico, el shaddai and such. Journey, the short non-big budget game somehow manages to surpass almost all of these popular and familiar games. It's everything; the music, the beautiful landscapes and animations, the unbelivable atmosphere, the fluid unique gameplay, and the charm, simplicity and emotion that the game carries out.All to deliever one of the most important games of this generation. Now, for some people this might be a boring, short and rather weird game. That's understandable, because some people simply like their games with more explotions and action. But even for the cynic and childish of gamers this game can appeal greatly, it all depands if you let it to absorb you and invoke your feelings. Try it, you might end up loving it more then I do :) Expand
  14. Mar 4, 2014
    Do you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you seeDo you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you see the ending for the first time, you'll understand what it is all about, so the story will become really touching for you. Warning: if you are a sensitive person, you could cry at the ending (maybe you will not during your first game, but you could in some subsequent replay). Besides, even though you'll like the soundtrack the first time you hear it, you will absolutely love it from the second or third time you play, when you already know it. Third, playing online guarantees that the experience will never be exactly the same. Players have created a kind of in-game tradition where (most of) skillful players help noobs, so surely you will develop some kind of emotional link towards some of your game mates. Helping an online player is not the same as giving you a kidney, sure, but this kind of anonymous help makes you believe a little bit more in the humankind. Isn't it rare in videogames? Play Journey a few times and someday you will draw hearts on the snow. You don't understand me? You will. Expand
  15. Apr 3, 2012
    Way too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of theWay too short to justify its price, and I certainly would have given it a higher score if it had just been cheaper. Instead, it's hard to escape the feeling I was ripped off. Still, the game is engaging and original, giving the player an immersive environment in which to explore and come up with their own narrative as to what's going on exactly. And figuring out logic and physics of the game world is a lot of fun the first couple time you play it. Expand
  16. Mar 15, 2012
    The game is beautiful and immersive. Mechanics are smooth and wonderfully intuitive. In short, it is a joy to play. The experience stuck with me long after I was away from my PS3. Some have complained about length, but for me, this is non-issue. The replay value is great, especially for the second and even third play through. Also, my time is valuable. I would rather play a greatThe game is beautiful and immersive. Mechanics are smooth and wonderfully intuitive. In short, it is a joy to play. The experience stuck with me long after I was away from my PS3. Some have complained about length, but for me, this is non-issue. The replay value is great, especially for the second and even third play through. Also, my time is valuable. I would rather play a great game that lasts an hour an half than a merely good game that lasts much longer. Highly recommend. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2012
    Journey defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - anotherJourney defines a beautiful game. It's a short game, designed to be played through in one sitting and then repeatedly played in order to give the player the feel of a different journey. The world in which Journey is based is so beautifully designed that you will find yourself stopping to look around and admire the scenery. One of the games core aspects is its take on multiplayer - another companion can join your journey at any time; you can travel together but communication is limited the a single action of emitting a whale-like call. Journey is a lovely little game, that anyone who appreciates ingenuity and art will enjoy. Expand
  18. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful game. Still enjoy playing it after having finished it at least 8-9 times. Only fault is that for the significant delay in release date the amount of work put in doesnt seem justifiable. The world is not large enough with all of the exploring finished in a few hours and if set to finishing the game in one continuous session it would not take you more than 1 1/2 hours.
  19. Mar 16, 2012
    If you judge Journey as just a game, it's not that great. It's short, it's easy, there's not even all that much to it, in terms of gameplay. However, thinking of it in broader terms, as unique form of entertainment, that just happens to use the PS3 as a medium, it's incredible. More enjoyable than just a game, more of an experience, and giving it a 10 doesn't even seem adequate.
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    I never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environmentI never played Flower, but I may just have to after seeing just how well designed this game was. I just finished Journey in one sitting and I'm about to start my second playthrough. It is quite short, but that is sort of the point and I wonder if it would ruin the experience if it was longer. The game has a very minimalistic approach to its storyline that is defined by the environment rather than dialogue, much like Shadow of the Colossus. The music's absolutely incredible. I recommend the game to everyone, particularly if you can find it on sale for $10 or less. I don't know if it'll be my favorite game at the end of the year, but I guarantee that it'll be on the list. I have no doubt whatsoever that this will be the best downloadable title you play all year, and perhaps this decade. Expand
  21. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one gameJourney was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Expand
  22. Jul 11, 2012
    this game is VERY exaggerated. Graphics are AMAZING. Sounstracks are OUTSTANDING. But come on... NO DIALOUGE? CHARACTERS ARE UNKNOWN? The goal is unclear... They want to reach the mountain...really unclear! Yes there is some beauty, peace... for 2 hours? SERIOUSLY.
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks CONS: Unclear story, Way
    Make a better, clearer, more interesting story...
    PROS: Amazing Graphics, Sensational Soundtracks
    CONS: Unclear story, Way too short, Unknown character?
    i am simply expressing my opinion. You have yours and i have mine.
  23. Aug 9, 2012
    the gameplay is just not satisfying enough, and the multiplayer element, (where you see another player with no gamertag or identification) while a cool concept, is utterly strange and not used to it's potential
  24. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't knowJourney isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  25. Dec 25, 2013
    Journey is an absolutely beautiful and well crafted game. It makes you feel like you are on a grand adventure and you forget you are really playing a video-game. A definite must have for any Playstation 3 owner.
  26. Mar 16, 2012
    If there's an afterlife I want it to be exactly like this game. It's art. It's love. It's human compassion and trust and beauty and peace. It is what humanity would be if it lost the power to hate. It isn't a game. It's..... God!
  27. Mar 19, 2012
    1 hour of gameplay that simply made me love video games even more. Who said video games couldn't be a work of art? True I just played 1 hour but I will definitely go back to play it for who knows how many more times. For those who have played: Limbo, Lost in Shadow and Flower and I don't know if for some but to me maybe a little to Shadow of the Colossus. You won't be dissapointed by this game.
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played. This will get criticism for being too short, but that maybe can't be helped as the pacing is just right. I must buy 4 games a month, all platforms, and this is the first game in a very long time that has really made me sit up and take notice. If you like Shadow of the Colossus, Ico or Portal, definitely give this a go. A gamer's game.
  29. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a mastery of Avante Garde expression. It is short, and simple, but it is something I will never forget as long as Iâ
  30. Apr 22, 2012
    Journey is a one-of-a-kind game, as you venture through with strangers, and no communicating whatsoever, except the chirping you have. So far, this is my top 2012 game pick.
  31. Mar 23, 2012
    I knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is trulyI knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is truly beautiful. You are not capable of communicating in any way, Thatgamecompany does not force you to cooperate, but you do it because otherwise you'll be all alone. When I played it I befriended another player, and we helped each other, when I got kick back by a flying creature, my new unknown friend ran back to me and helped me up. A truly touching moment in my gaming carrier. Sadly we got lost to each other, like losing a someone you loved and I was all alone.... Truly amazing :) Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I was playing Journey, I was constantly trying to put my finger on what I loved so much about it. Here I was, walking about and occasionally tapping O, with a little bit of X thrown in sporadically. Not much in the way of gameplay, I realised. But that, I began to realise near the end, was the point: Journey plays out a bit like a film: you sit back and passively consume the events that happen within the experience. It's just so relaxing to sit back and watch the scenery, seeing the lovely patterns that are created in the sand as you walk. I would elaborate more on why this game is such a joy to experience, but I'll sum it up with one word: subtlety. Expand
  33. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  34. Aug 2, 2015
    What an amazing audiovisual experience, what an incredibly talented developer! I suggest these guys should work with icelandic Band Sigur Ros, that would definitely make a great collaboration!
  35. Mar 12, 2015
    the game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and playthe game is the definition of the monomyth, the story is told without dialogue yet it gives out a clear understanding of the past culture of the desert. the graphics are beautifull ! the gameplay is simple and its main purpose is to travel and explore the world of the desert ruins while going all the way to the mountain. the soundtrack itslef is pretty amazing. its a game to relax and play with wonder and awe. Expand
  36. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey is the closest thing to meditation for gamers that has ever existed. It is stunningly beautiful and utterly enchanting from start to finish. Don't let the shortness put you off as this game delivers in emotion in its 2 hr span, more than any 10 hr + game that i have played.

I cannot stress enough how good this game is. Starting alone as a nameless stranger with mere jumping and singing at your disposal, to sand surfing and flying and meeting fellow travelers (also nameless) on your quest to the mountain. Everything and anything this game does is something you simply must experience. Please stop reading this now and go and play Journey.
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps youJourney is an artistic game with so much emotion, but has no dialog, which is a great accomplishment, much like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Journey is a beautiful game to look at from the Sun reflecting off the sand to the movement of your character. This game proves that video games are art. The game is very simple to play, but since it is simple it makes it relaxing and helps you enjoy the story. You play a character that is traveling to a high mountain in the distance. On the way you will be walking through a desert then high up in the snowy mountain. There are creatures on the game, which you are tasked with staying out of their sight. The game also has a co-op aspect, which is simple yet helpful. As you make the journey you might meet up with other players that can help you solve puzzles quicker and even help each other regenerate you magic which makes you fly for a brief period. Journey is a simple yet entertaining fun game that proves that video games are art. Expand
  38. Apr 24, 2013
    Beautiful game. Quite the experience! I'm glad I got to play this game, it is unique and charming. My only complaint is it took only an hour to beat.
  39. May 24, 2012
    Lost 1 point because its short, gains the other 9 for its beauty and the joy of playing this experience beginning to end. Don't pick this up looking for a game like most others, this is meant to be an experience, short and beautiful.
  40. Mar 15, 2012
    this is an amazing experience that everyone must play you're really stupid if you don't buy it you'll be missing out on game of the year. Theres so much more then the videos reviews show and I LOVE THIS GAME
  41. Mar 15, 2012
    Telling you what happens would do the experience a disservice. This isn't a game to wield skills to triumph over tricky challenges - it's a place to feel wonder, camaraderie, adversity and joy. You've no doubt heard lots of vague over the top claims about it already, but you may even find the meaning of life in this game. It's that profound. It's not an hour - it's 2 or 3 the first timeTelling you what happens would do the experience a disservice. This isn't a game to wield skills to triumph over tricky challenges - it's a place to feel wonder, camaraderie, adversity and joy. You've no doubt heard lots of vague over the top claims about it already, but you may even find the meaning of life in this game. It's that profound. It's not an hour - it's 2 or 3 the first time through. Still, that gives you good odds of encountering another player in the same area and even in the last 10 minutes it made me feel more than a whole box of 60-hour games could.

It manages to convey more meaning than most games or movies, without using a single word (outside of the clumsy "how to play" overlays at the start...) In fact, it would have lost some impact if it tried to spell things out for you - instead, the moments you encounter may be the same as most other players find, but they are yours. Like life itself, you may be like countless others who went before you, but you are you and this is your story. Everything is fleeting, so just enjoy the moment and push on to what's next.

Meeting other players, you may not be able to articulate your communication well, but there's a common understanding that the other who is with you is another living person and that changes the nature of the experience knowing that you're sharing it with someone else. It's a beautiful experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels some connection to other humans, no matter how little.
  42. Mar 21, 2012
    Some of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flowerSome of my favourite games last less times than this; Streets of Rage 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Sonic the Hedgehog and Lion King for Megadrive so length wasn't an issue for me at all. If you paid £10 (or $15) for a game and thought it would be much longer, maybe you should have read a review beforehand. The graphics are awe inspiring and the controls are great unlike flower (though you have to have the controller level as tilting the pad results in the camera rotating - no good for lying on the sofa and playing). So why the 7? The multiplayer. I've read reviews by people who said they. Built up a bond with their buddy and felt emotions they had never felt before. I didn't get anything like that. I had 8 different buddies in my short journey and they were all useless. I felt annoyed mostly. On top of that there are monsters that cut your scarf of that it seems impossible to avoid and the trophies depend far too much on your buddies. Get this game because the graphics and sound are unreal and I hope that you have a better online experience than I had. Expand
  43. Jun 21, 2012
    A perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developerA perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developer can hope to create.
    thatgamecompany have set a standard which I can only hope their future projects can come close to meeting, I am very thankful I was able to play through their vision and I wish them the best of luck in the future! Journey is my 'Game of the Year' for 2012.
  44. Jul 29, 2012
    $15 price tag, 1 hour of game play, no challenge, and no replay value (unless you're a trophy hog). I don't see why so many people overrate this "game". Sure it's pretty, but if I wanted nothing but eye candy, I would've downloaded a screen saver and stared at that. At least it would be free.
  45. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to playFor such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  46. Mar 17, 2012
    The game is short, but I assure you will live a unique experience, I loved the game, the graphics are excellent, the music is amazing ... the game is linear, but worth the $ 14.99 and more
  47. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is truly amazing, its not often games live up to the hype but this one does. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played and if your playing this with a good stereo im sure you would agree. The music is as much a part of the game as the gameplay itself. The experience is so beautiful that I am going to be booking sessions for my friends so they can experience the game in myThis game is truly amazing, its not often games live up to the hype but this one does. It is the most beautiful game I have ever played and if your playing this with a good stereo im sure you would agree. The music is as much a part of the game as the gameplay itself. The experience is so beautiful that I am going to be booking sessions for my friends so they can experience the game in my theater. I personally wasnt bothered by the short length, I thought it was appropriate and well worth the price considering the quality. This is yet another to have get a ps3 if you dont have one. Expand
  48. Mar 26, 2012
    You probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players inYou probably already have heard that Journey is a bit short. And that it's also a fantastic experience. What else is there to add? Well, there is one thing that truly fascinates me. As you slide down sand dunes and glide smoothly in air, and as you solve the (not too difficult) obstacles you encounter other players (if you're online). So what, you say? The beauty of other players in journey is that there is no way to communicate with them. Everyone's anonymous so you can't write to your "partner", there's no voice communication available and you can't decide to invite friends. The only way you communicate is through your actions and an additional "blip" feature (which is acctually a "loading feature", i.e you use it to activate certain environmental objects and/or load up your partners ability to jump and fly further). Togheter you can make the game even more amusing and find new ways to conquer the journey. It's also essential to cooperate in order to attain certain trophies. This means Journey makes the trophy system a bit more interesting than your average game. But are there no cons? Journey is beautiful, relaxing and I've been playing it over and over, as I've already said but it can't be emphasized enough. The only con is that it should've been just a little longer. I want more! Expand
  49. Jan 3, 2013
    Thank you to that game company for creating a game that is genuinely original and truly emotional if you find a the right buddy on your Journey. If they continue on this path they might just be the pixar of gaming.
  50. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly haveUnusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  51. Nov 16, 2015
    that is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you couldthat is a game whose mechanics are not to shoot everyone down. It's more a graphical experience than an actual game since the gameplay is not very sophisticated but very basic. It is a 3d platform with original mechanics, but the gameplay is not so fun as other platform games. It's good looking, magical, imaginative a little cryptic experience. very short, but with this gameplay you could not play it for hours, so it's just right in my opinion. maybe it should be a little more fun to play, it should be more interesting exploring such beautiful places, a little more sophisticated gameplay and eventually a little longer. Expand
  52. Oct 3, 2012
    When I was done playing, I went over to twitter to personally thanked the crew that made this game. I was soooo happy. Finally! This game is going to be at top-5 2012 for sure!
  53. Mar 15, 2012
    Journey takes less than an hour to complete. It's a worthwhile experience, but for $15 I expected a little more. I will say that this game has a soothing nature to it. It's got tense and bleak moments as well, and there's a sense of fulfillment when completing the game. The concept of multiplayer is interesting in Journey. You will get random people popping into your game (I had 8Journey takes less than an hour to complete. It's a worthwhile experience, but for $15 I expected a little more. I will say that this game has a soothing nature to it. It's got tense and bleak moments as well, and there's a sense of fulfillment when completing the game. The concept of multiplayer is interesting in Journey. You will get random people popping into your game (I had 8 total during my playthrough), and they can help you or just be all-around useless. I don't like how some trophies are highly dependent on who you get as a partner in your game, seeing that it's random. In any case, this is a decent game, but it left me wanting more. Expand
  54. Sep 8, 2015
    I though it was only an introduction, but when i saw The End... What? It was fraud, I presume. Creators swindled out my money using good picture and music.
  55. Mar 15, 2012
    A very refreshing game. I've already played through it 4 times and plan on having a couple more goes at it. Good games are hard to come by now a days. It seems too often that I buy a game only for it to sit on my shelf for months without being beaten because after a couple hours of game play it becomes a chore to continue playing the game. This was not the case with Journey. JourneyA very refreshing game. I've already played through it 4 times and plan on having a couple more goes at it. Good games are hard to come by now a days. It seems too often that I buy a game only for it to sit on my shelf for months without being beaten because after a couple hours of game play it becomes a chore to continue playing the game. This was not the case with Journey. Journey is everything I could have asked for in a perfect game: simple, compelling, visually mesmerizing, and short. The anonymous multiplier was a welcomed twist. Journey was wonderful from beginning to end and I'd gladly work an hour or two to pay for this inexpensive and awesome game. Expand
  56. Mar 30, 2012
    Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up,Even though I think 15 dollars is a bit steep for this game it deserves nothing less than a 10. I have never felt so satisfied with a game, so intrigued with my surroundings. I'll never know the people who I met up with on my first playthrough but they helped me finish the game, we were just 2 people with a common goal. If you have a PS3 and 15 dollars to spare go ahead and pick it up, yeah it's only 2 hours max, but it's the most rich 2 hours of gameplay you can pick up on the PSN, Expand
  57. Mar 28, 2012
    After playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives aAfter playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives a mystery because you don't know who you are playing with and there is no chat boxes. The cost of the game in the GB is GBP 10, but overall, it is a really good game Expand
  58. Apr 2, 2012
    Journey is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfullyJourney is a pretty but shallow game. Right from the start you notice that Journey is completely linear and basically on-rails. The collectables make your scarf longer but ultimately aren't worth getting. The only reward you get for doing so are trophies; there's nothing in-game to make it worthwhile. The game was over before I knew it (under 2 hours), and because of the game's painfully short length, there was no time to form any kind of emotional relationship with other players. Replay value is extremely low, since the entire game follows the exact same path. There's no challenge either; the entire game is extremely easy. There's a couple puzzles here and there, but for most of the game you're just sitting there holding the control stick forward. If you're the type of person who likes games that are mildly interactive experiences emphasizing the visuals, then Journey will definitely be for you. Otherwise, you'll quickly find out that the constant high praise is completely unfounded and end up disappointed like me. Expand
  59. Mar 7, 2013
    I played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn'tI played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn't experience its unique online experience, maybe my expectations had been set too high.

I played through the game with two of my friends watching, and all of us were completely silent and enraptured by the end. Journey is beautiful, Journey is unique, and Journey is amazing. It is by far the best online experience I have ever had with a game, it has some of the most strikingly beautiful scenes I have ever seen in a game (they will stay with me for years), and I adore everything about what Thatgamecompany has done. Nothing I can say will be able to convince you to play it, but I urge you to listen to the overwhelmingly positive response to this game it is NOT overrated. An easy 10/10 (sure it's short, but who cares when the experience is this amazing?)
  60. Oct 8, 2013
    Sinceramente não sei o que as pessoas viram nesse jogo. Ir de um lado para outro, sem nada mais o que fazer.... Gráficos bonitinhos, e nada além disso. Um lixo, não compre!
  61. Nov 19, 2016
    I downloaded Journey for free on PSN and enjoyed it quite a bit. The game is very easy to complete, but the story keeps you wondering. A nice touch that you can meet other players along your journey. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $10 for this game, but well worth a free download.
  62. Nov 1, 2016
    Didn't find any story here, and I wonder how could someone actually did. Yes, storytelling is an odd one, but the story itself as simple as it uninspired. It maybe not a big deal for the genre, but slow and stupid gameplay with kindergarned puzzles makes playing this 'game' a torture.
  63. May 23, 2012
    Welcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, thisWelcome to Journey, the next world religion if you read some of these reviews. I give it marks for some heart and successfully putting a concept on display. But that's all it is, a $15 demo that gives us all an idea of the fresh direction video games could go in the future. If it were anything more, the developers would have charged more. Simple as that. In and of itself, however, this game isn't really a game. It's like watching a movie with a joystick. You're fooled into thinking it's not absolutely linear because your dude can jump around and climb hills to see views of, uh, more emptiness. It doesn't require skill, the music provides all the emotion, and there is more danger lurking in the first level of Super Mario Brothers than in this entire game. I mean, even Luigi jumping on a flagpole thinks Journey is too easy. The game is a "yeah life is hard, but it's worth it/have hope/enjoy the journey/etc." symbol. So if you just broke up with a significant other or your parents got divorced or whatever, you're going read way too much into this thing and be like, "Yeah, that's me, pushing against the cold wind, hiding from monsters. That is SO just like my life." Well, guess what. That's everyone's life. Way less replay value than people claim. One and done. Heartwarming. Momentarily fun. Innovative. Whimsical. Boring. Nice. Beautiful. Short. Intriguing. Overrated. Save yourself the money and just watch someone else play it on YouTube. Don't tell me you need to personally be the one holding the stick forward for two hours to get what this game is about. Expand
  64. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is legendary and is the fastest top-selling game on the Playstation Network store. This is my favorite game of 2012. Thatgamecompany has done it again!
  65. May 17, 2012
    15 Dollars may sound a little steep for 1-2 hours game play and that is what I thought too. This could not be any father from the truth this was hands down one of the best experiences I have ever had with and game. Buy it now !
  66. Mar 20, 2012
    Thatgamecompany definitely knows how to attract such gamers like me. Gamers who are interesting in art. Who like outstanding design and unusual approach to gameplay. Who enjoy meditations and feel so comfortable to relax while playing. Who like beauty.

Journey is that game. It is beautiful. Short though, but I felt like I was born again when the game is over.
  67. Mar 13, 2012
    I've used metacritic for years, but have never felt compelled to actually write any reviews... until now.

I cannot stress enough what an amazing experience this game was. I sat in my room, eye level to my tv, turned out all the lights and let the game take me away. I beat the game in less than two hours, yet I know my adventure will forever be a part of me. This game was incredibly powerful and moving.

I don't want to ruin anyone's experience by providing too much information. I just want to argue that this game, this masterpiece, is a direct rejection of Roger Ebert's unfaltering stand that video games can never be art. After playing this game, I can honestly say, he is incredibly wrong in his assessment.

This game is beautiful and I cannot recommend it enough. Play. This. Game.

Maybe I'll run into some of you out there :)
  68. Mar 29, 2012
    Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle,Journey is a short, short game, yes. It costs $15 for less than two hours of your time--also yes. With this in mind, I have spent more on movie blu-rays and have never been so moved as I was when I finished Journey. Let me be clear: I wept. I -wept- at the end. Getting me to cry is NO easy task; I am a frigid and unpleasant cynic. And yet... I was so awed by Journey's music, its spectacle, its vague and profound message of light, warmth, and companionship... There is no dialogue in the game, none at all, and it achieves the same powerful result. For me, at least. Obviously, there will be people expecting some kind of mechanical platforming puzzle from Journey, and I suppose that's fair. It -is- a *game* for the PS3. However... if you have a soul, then you're likely to find something much deeper here. Expand
  69. May 30, 2012
    A review cannot describe this game. Just Buy it. This is one of the most amazing things ever. A review just does not justify how great it is. Wow, simply amazing stuff
  70. Aug 24, 2012
    Sure it has fabolous graphics and great sound quality, but it has no story all i am very unclear of what is going on in the game, you also have no info about the character and only one goal you have to make it to the mountain, i think. But if you are a guy who doesnt care about the story or background info about the character, and just care about the graphics and sound quality then maybeSure it has fabolous graphics and great sound quality, but it has no story all i am very unclear of what is going on in the game, you also have no info about the character and only one goal you have to make it to the mountain, i think. But if you are a guy who doesnt care about the story or background info about the character, and just care about the graphics and sound quality then maybe this is your game, but if you care about the story, sound quality and graphics, like me, you should not play this game. Expand
  71. Dec 5, 2012
    Somewhere out there is a person who's name I will never know, who's face I will never see and who's voice I will never hear, but I will never forget them. For an hour and a half I fought against temptation, impatience, and personal reward to stay by their side, and they did the same for me without so much as a hesitation.

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild elements of what a "game" is, such as platforming and puzzle solving, but these things are never used in such a way that they hinder your progress or pull you away from your ultimate goal. Rather, they are there to pull you deeper into the world you find yourself mysteriously dropped into.

No words can properly describe the experience that is Journey, because it is a human experience unlike any other that I have seen in gaming. The soundtrack is grandiose without being intrusive, the environments are hauntingly beautiful, and every camera movement has been carefully planned out. The art direction is second to none with absolutely no inconsistencies, and the graphics themselves are absolutely flawless. Essentially, there isn't a single thing that I can reproach to Journey, because whatever flaws it might have are unnoticeable whereas it's long-term emotional and visual impact are unforgettable.

Due to it's ambient multiplayer element, there are times when your adventure feels soul-crushingly lonely, only to have it turned on it's head by encountering a mysterious traveler along your path. You can not communicate with this other person through any other means than singing short musical notes and by standing close to them to recharge your energy. This, surprisingly, creates the deepest, most emotional multiplayer one can experience as it does away with any fears of player aggression, rage-quits, racism, or any other elements you'd typically find in an online game. Not only does this limited communication eliminate those hindrances, but it also somehow enhances gameplay by making your singing the sole output for your emotion. There hasn't been a single playthrough where I have not understood what my traveling companion was trying to convey.

People often bemoan the fact that Journey is only an hour and a half long, and to them I have to ask if they truly understood what the game was doing. A movie of the same length can take up to six years to create and people gladly pay 12$ for a movie ticket, yet they feel 'cheated' by paying 15$ for the most emotional and stirring experience a game could ever bring you simply because "it's so short". Journey's key strength isn't in how it plays, but rather in how it feels and the impact left on your mind after it's all over.

Obviously, this is not a title for everyone. Many have written reviews about how they "just don't get it" or "fell for the hype", and it's regrettable to say that there are going to be people out there who simply won't feel the impact of this experience for whatever reason. To everyone else, people who want to experience art and emotion and music and a deep, primal connection to other people, go buy Journey now.
  72. Jul 30, 2013
    This was a nice divergence from your typical AAA game. I took one point away because of the price, though...I don't think it's worth $15, $5-10 is more appropriate.
  73. Feb 8, 2013
    Okay, I really don't understand this one. Being a gamer for the past 25 years, I don't understand people telling this game is perfect or close to perfect... Okay it's beautiful and emotive by moments, but no real story, no voice acting, no combat, nothing happens, reaaaaaally slow...
  74. Feb 5, 2013
    This isnt even a game its 90 minutes long and its $15 horrible deal there is almost no gameplay and no story if you gave this goty then you are a idiot
  75. May 3, 2013
    I was blown away by this game. With that said, I did come into it with minimal expectations. It is exciting to see a publisher take a chance for a change. The game's simplicity brings me back to my old days of playing NES. It's definitely not the best game ever, and I hope that they don't make a sequel. I believe that it is as good as it can be. I don't need to play it again, and II was blown away by this game. With that said, I did come into it with minimal expectations. It is exciting to see a publisher take a chance for a change. The game's simplicity brings me back to my old days of playing NES. It's definitely not the best game ever, and I hope that they don't make a sequel. I believe that it is as good as it can be. I don't need to play it again, and I don't need to play another game like it. It was an interesting experience that was very enjoyable for me. Some critiques people will probably have with this game are that it is too short, too simple, and too vague. While it is short, simple, and vague it still delivers. I can't think of another game that would have been able to pull this off. Expand
  76. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most immersive games I have played in my life. This game is the perfect example why I love video games. Music, graphics, game experience: everything is great. Thanks so much ThatGameCompany!!!
  77. Oct 3, 2013
    Journey is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budgetJourney is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budget triple-A title I have ever played. It's beautiful, and is drop dead gorgeous at points. The soundtrack is serene and fitting. My time with journey left my jaw hanging quite literally. Journey is a game anyone with a ps3 needs to play. Expand
  78. Jun 5, 2012
    Holy **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, noHoly **** first time ive ever been compelled to come onto metacritic and write a review. My only negative is it ended way too soon. I'd heard good things about this game so decided to buy it tonight, what an absolute marvellous experience. I don't even know what genre this fits into and i've played a lot of games in my 34 years. The fact the game is so unconventional, no lives, no energy, no hud. Just the world at your feet and the most beautiful music ever. Hell i didnt even realise i was playing co op until the end credits lol. Even the end credits were a thing of beauty. Best tenner ive spent on PSN period. Do yourself a favour and buy this game. If you have anything negative to say about this game you aren't a real gamer and should go back to your mainstream shovelware. Expand
  79. Mar 18, 2012
    The fact that Journey has so effectively condensed the experience into a two-hour interactive poem is an astonishing achievement. It is the evolution of Jason Rohrer's art game Passage, bringing an unmatched humanity to the experience through its multiplayer.
  80. Oct 19, 2012
    Journey is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to seeJourney is a beautiful, emotional, err journey... Its not your typical game by any means, there's zero combat, almost zero enemies and you don't need fast reflexes or perfect timing to progress. But the game is touching and has a playful and unique vibe. The first time I saw another person in game (who I affectionately refer to as "friends") I felt like a little kid I was so excited to see another person like me, I ran up to them and starting "talking" and jumping around like a dog who just saw another dog at the park. That's probably my favorite aspect of the game, when you see other people and you travel with them. They cannot introll you or ruin the experience they are merely companions who may or may not be with you through the whole game. The game is short, I think it takes roughly 2-3 hours to complete depending on how long you linger in a given area, but the flow is quite good and you won't ever find yourself wondering what to do next. I like short games myself, I don't always want to have to spend 50+ hours to find out what happens, but of course this is a matter of personal opinion. The graphics are great and very fun to look at, and the music is equally wonderful. Playing Journey is obviously not for everyone, no game is, I akin playing Journey to something of an interactive movie or a picture book coming alive. To me it also had an anime vibe but that might just be me. I really enjoyed Journey, it's not for everyone but it's definitely and unique and worth while experience imo. If you think it might be your cup of tea then give it a go you most likely won't regret it. Expand
  81. Mar 13, 2012
    It isn't often, these days, when a game inspires you to think. It's even less often that it asks you to consider what is of real importance in life. It's also rare to bring a single, poignant tear to your eye after just a couple of hours. Journey might not do that for you, but it did for me. Games like Heavy Rain have tried, and failed in my view, to merge gaming with cinematicIt isn't often, these days, when a game inspires you to think. It's even less often that it asks you to consider what is of real importance in life. It's also rare to bring a single, poignant tear to your eye after just a couple of hours. Journey might not do that for you, but it did for me. Games like Heavy Rain have tried, and failed in my view, to merge gaming with cinematic storytelling. Journey tries, and greatly succeeds, at merging gaming and art. Don't miss this one, folks. It isn't about where you're going... Expand
  82. Mar 14, 2012
    This game is awesome, wonderful and inspiring. I think, it's primarily intended for an adult audience, because young and very young gamers will possibly describe it as boring - but it isn't. In fact, it offers a gaming experience, which hasn't seen for a long time. Personally, I was flashed for two hours - that is short, but rather inspiring entertainment for two hours than playing aThis game is awesome, wonderful and inspiring. I think, it's primarily intended for an adult audience, because young and very young gamers will possibly describe it as boring - but it isn't. In fact, it offers a gaming experience, which hasn't seen for a long time. Personally, I was flashed for two hours - that is short, but rather inspiring entertainment for two hours than playing a boring "blockbuster" game like Mass Effect 3 for endless hours. Big shouts to the composer of the game music. Expand
  83. Mar 18, 2012
    i was so moved by this game, i signed up to metacritic just to give this a 10. my favourite gaming experience since demon's souls, and easily the most a video game has affected my emotions.
  84. Jan 31, 2013
    Beautiful. That is the best way to describe this game. Whether the player had an emotional reaction or just an appreciation for the visual and audio art all comes down to preference. And that's what's so special about this game.
  85. Dec 23, 2015
    Beautiful graphics, amazing gameplay. You can make up your own mind about what the story means and what is the point of all of it. A short but wonderful experience.
  86. Dec 8, 2013
    I did not like this game. I got it and it took about 2 hours to download and then another hour to process and after that it didn't even work. Ridiculous and not worth your time. Don't get it. Enough said.
  87. Nov 6, 2014
    Очень скучная игра. Не понимаю, как в такое можно играть и для кого она сделана. Провал
  88. Jun 23, 2016
    A cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates anA cinematic and awesome experience, Journey is simple yet spectacular. Its visual scenes combined with its soundtrack make for museum-like adventure that demands a virtual reality release. What makes Journey so unique beyond its artistic form is the social experiment you're placed in with each game. Walking alongside a fellow voyager, especially through an entire playthrough, creates an experience like no other you might have with a stranger. If this game was reduced to its bare basics to walk to the light and the game was over, it would be above average; however, add the element of online multiplayer along with the intense dramatics at varying points throughout the game and you have a masterpiece, one that elicits deep, real emotions and a search for the metaphorical meaning of what you have experienced in these two hours. Expand
  89. Dec 7, 2012
    It's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. ButIt's hard to describe exactly what Journey is. As a game it's incredibly shallow. As the name implies it is nothing more then a Journey, a trip from point "A" to point "B". You won't be fending off countless hoards, you won't be saving the princess, and you won't be competing for the high score. You will be walking, sometimes jumping, and occasionally you will be wishing you could run. But if you think of it as something other then a game you find something amazing. So to say this is a game doesn't really quite grasp it's full essence. It is... a Journey. (Curse them and their perfect naming)

To comprehend this a bit better I think of what Jesse Schell writes in his book "The Art of Game Design" on the topic of what a Game Designer does he has this to say: "Ultimately, a game designer does not care about games....When people play games, they have an experience. It is this experience that the designer cares about. Without the experience, the game is worthless." And this is what Journey has done. They created a truly unique experience, that while being interactive is not necessarily a game. Game Designers for years have tried to tell story through interactive mediums, ever since the first MUDs, and text based adventures. And while we've gotten some truly spectacular games out of these attempts, we rarely see a truly spectacular story. The stories we do see could be better told through book or film. But Journey has proven that it can be done through an interactive medium , and not only that but they can make it amazing. They've crafted something between game, book, and movie and it's fantastic. The real trick now is to see if they can do it again, or to see if anyone can ever do it again. This may just be a beautiful fluke, a nice bit of intrigue that will eventually be nothing more then a footnote in gaming history. Something that people will read about and say, "Sounds interesting." And then will never think about again. Can't wait to see if it takes us somewhere new.
  90. Jun 19, 2012
    The game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking toThe game is incredibly simple and there really isn't much to it. You really just walk around, occasionally use a chirping noise to activate things and avoid contact with some rare enemies. That being said the game is visually stunning and even though no words transpire it easily becomes an emotional experience. I won't give it away but you will get to a point where you'll be thinking to yourself, "This isn't possible and I won't let it happen!" The amazing thing is that throughout your journey you will see another individual and you'll assume it's the same person but you'll discover at the end your adventure was shared with many others. I was unable to stop this game until I finished it and I've gone back several times as this is a relaxing game that you experience not play. Understand that there isn't any action and it's not some brain teaser, it's a very simple game but it does simplicity better than anything I've ever played. Expand
  91. Mar 13, 2012
    This is what I play video games for! No other medium could make me feel like Journey just did. A truly unique experience anybody should give a try! The anonymous cooperative play works fantastic and you really bond with your partner despite the minimal interaction with each other.
  92. Jan 19, 2015
    I must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly anyI must say that I've reached the point in my life where I've become tired of slashing enemies, shooting things and people, Hollywood explosions, and pretty much just the gaming industry nowadays. I came to the point where I wanted a game that would make me reflect on my own life, my own human existence and purpose. Journey is the game that did just that. No there isn't particularly any hardcore action and fighting. This game reflects the hardships of life, the challenges we face so we reach our destination. At the end we see it's not the destination, but we look back at the journey to get there and how it shaped us. This game cleverly portrays itself as the journey of life, and I haven't felt as connected to a game like this for a long time. The game is short but worth the experience like others have said. Expand
  93. Mar 14, 2012
    Brilliant visuals, perfect music, amazing gameplay.
    £10 for 1 hour of gameplay is way too much to ask though.
    I can get more fun and value out of a tenner in a red light district.
  94. May 19, 2012
    We've learned to expect some element of exploration, battle, and/or collection in games. Sometimes you can empathize with characters or feel a sliver of happiness or sadness after a cutscene or "moral" decision choice, but for the most part, there is a wall between the player and the character's experience. It's impersonal. Until now.

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I

Journey is truly an experience, not simply a game. I urge anyone who's become underwhelmed by the typical game formula to try this. I want to ramble on about what makes Journey so profound, but there isn't a perfect way of describing it, you just have to play it.

I expect to see great things from Thatgamecompany in the future. They've earned my complete respect.
  95. Mar 16, 2012
    A short, but sweet serene adventure. The simplistic art style is absolutely gorgeous, and you'll never look at video game sand the same again. Bumping into fellow wanderers and helping them along the way is a highlight, and the limited communication is in end a thing of beauty. No screaming children or disgruntled neck-bearders. Just a quiet companion to join you.

The only thing I could

The only thing I could ask for is for even more play area to explore. I've attained platinum already!
  96. Mar 17, 2012
    This is what games should be. A book describes, a film shows and a game lets you experience. Now we know for sure that games can be art. Truly wondrous.
  97. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey, in my opinion, is a milestone in recent gaming. The introduction, navigation and how your character operates within this pseudo-open world is magnificent. While a shorter game, it works perfectly for what it presents and allows itself for multiple playthroughs.

Not being able to communicate (other than singing) with the companions that you meet is a splendid feature. The non-verbal communication reminded me of Fumito Ueda's games, and traveling through certain points felt reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus. Having this world, prone to exploration, with a narrative open to interpretation is something I am certainly a fan of.

--- Spoilers and my experience below ---
    My first playthrough consisted of me meeting a companion early on and going with them throughout the world. They seemingly didn't know how to go in certain areas and followed me everywhere... which made me feel like the "older brother guide" esque person or protector as, I had no idea where I was going myself. After spending 2 hours with this individual, they left and with the accompanying 'leaving animation'... felt saddened. A GAME MADE ME FEEL SAD! In a later playthrough, someone who had unlocked certain things was showing me around and the role reversal was another remarkable feeling. I didn't know where the unlockables were, and they did... finishing the game with them was fun and our interactions were truly something to note, on a personal level. I can't reccomend Journey enough and for only $15 (US) is a remarkable deal. 9 /10
  98. Mar 30, 2012
    I, for one, am very happy there still are developers willing to take risks and create something unique, instead than a clone of whatever is selling best at the moment, and Journey is exactly this: unique.
    Journey (like the title implies) it's not really a game but more of an experience and a very pleasant one.
    If you start playing it expecting to run around, shoot things or do whatever you usually do in other games, you'll be very, very disappointed.
    On the contrary, if you free your mind, play it with the right mindset, you'll be rewarded with an experience very few games can provide nowadays.
    Everything, within this game, is beautifully crafted: the art, the metaphor which is the story, the music, the pace. Yes, it is short (a couple of hours, if you wander a bit) but trust me: you'll want to play it again, just to get absorbed in its beatiful world.

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]