Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Jun 18, 2013
    It may only last a couple two hours and, aside from a few simple puzzles, there is little actual gameplay but there is no other experience in gaming like playing Journey. Anyone that doubts video games can be an art form must surely change their minds after playing this.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    Not so much a game as a work of art come to life. During the closing sections of this title, I burst into tears. It moved me like no other game has. I don't know why, exactly... But if you are looking for true catharsis in a video game, look no further. People sometimes mention that the game is too short. Yes... It is very short, but every second you hold the controller is wonderful. It'sNot so much a game as a work of art come to life. During the closing sections of this title, I burst into tears. It moved me like no other game has. I don't know why, exactly... But if you are looking for true catharsis in a video game, look no further. People sometimes mention that the game is too short. Yes... It is very short, but every second you hold the controller is wonderful. It's a perfectly formed and executed game and the fact that you can finish it in just one sitting merely adds to the cohesive, unique atmosphere that Journey offers... And it is a Journey that I plan to take quite a few more times. Expand
  3. Mar 11, 2015
    I was cautiously optimistic as I prepared to play Journey for the first time. There were so many glowing reviews by game journalists that I could not discount its quality, however I wasn't completely convinced of its greatness and so approached it with hope and a slight amount of pessimism.

There have been many defining moments with video games that I've experienced in my life. The joy and wonder of discovering likes of Pac Man and Centipede in the arcade as a five-year-old. As I grew up and video games changed, my horizons opened up with the possibility for adventure in The Legend of Zelda on the NES. Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Doom and Half Life. Each of these represented major evolutional steps in video games. Exploration, adventure, 3D worlds, immersion, storytelling. I look back fondly on all of those experiences but in doing so realized that as the years have gone by these types of moments came with less frequency and impact. I love games such as Mario Galaxy, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim. I can appreciate the mind-blowing quality and depth of these games but they don't stack up to the experiences of my youth with, arguably, vastly inferior games.

It only took a short time with Journey to come to the realization that I was experiencing something that I had been missing for many years. Chills ran down my spine. My pulse quickened. I was enthralled. It was not immediate but grew like a wave, building slowly and consistently until the wave broke in a crescendo that was moving and awe-inspiring that left me speechless and teary-eyed. I had not been affected like this in years and perhaps ever.

Journey is an experience that is a privilege to partake in. It evokes a range of emotions from joy and wonder to fear and heartbreak. The visuals are a sight to behold. It is simple, but not simplistic. It will make you ponder life, friendship, love, loss and triumph. Journey deserves to be experienced.
  4. May 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. fantastic game. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it............ Expand
  5. Feb 23, 2014
    Probably the best Indie game I've ever played. It's emotional and moving, even though there isn't any dialogue or combat the entire game. The only weak point for me was the feeling of linearity. The game is called Journey but there are times when it feels like you have absolutely no control over yours.
  6. Aug 30, 2015
    This is the single best "non-game" I've ever played. It truly is an experience and acts as a prime example of video games as art. I've never seen a game tackle the existential struggle so well.
  7. Jul 30, 2014
    Never expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play forNever expected his, but Journey is a truly wonderful adventure. Yes, you can finish it in 2 hours, but in these 2 hours, Journey provides much stronger experience and impact than many other titles are not able to achieve even in tens of hours. Even online element have been used in a very clever way, doesn't distract you at all and further strengthens the emotional response. Must-play for all PS3 owners. 9/10 Expand
  8. Apr 7, 2012
    This isn't a game my friends, it's an experience. An experience that every self proclaimed gamer should have on their ps3. The whole time I was blown away by the beautiful landscapes and by the mystery surrounding everything. The ending was magnificent to say the least.
  9. Mar 14, 2012
    There's not much to say. And I don't want to repeat what it's being said about it. The beauty, the loneliness, the haunting atmosphere, the anonymous encounters. I'm in awe, speechless, still. "Journey" is not a game. It's a miracle.
  10. May 28, 2012
    More a work of art than a game.Incredibly beautiful but short at barely 2 hours long.There is a slight replay value but it's expensive for what you get,so caveat emptor.
  11. Feb 4, 2015
    Though Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional videoThough Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional video game and it certainly acts more like an art project or cinematic experience than a gaming experience, however, there’s much, much more gameplay elements than we witnessed in Flower: the controls and camera are smooth—however, the inclusion of the motion control camera seems unnecessary and at its worst, distracting; it’s easy and has a duration of about 90 minutes if you play it straight through, but once you realize that every single cutscene, design, and overall detail is well warranted and the complete erasure of any filler, it’s definitely necessary and only makes the impact more well-deserved than it already is. And at last, it’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played—and I’m taking into account games like 2001’s Ico, 2005’s Shadow of the Colossus, 2006’s Ōkami, and many, many more. From the animation of the sand to the vibrant design of the creatures made of cloth, it’s a testament to just how visually stunning a video game can be, comparable to that of an art film. And the soundtrack, composed by Austin Wintory, is couldn’t be any more of a greater fit, how it’s timed and how it syncs into every single moment like a puzzle piece, the Grammy nomination was obviously earned. It’s certainly not an experience everyone will find joyous, however, besides the emotional impact Journey left on me, I have revisited the game multiple times already—the multiplayer experience is a one-of-a-kind and just factors into the emotions, it’s one of the most rewarding co-op experiences I’ve ever witnessed. The Trophies are easily earned yet exciting to collect and once you collect your White Robe after earning the Transcendence Trophy, you’ll be jumping with joy if you’re anymore of a fan than I am. If I’m overrating Journey, it’s because of complete bias, but even outside of a personal experience, it’s not surprising how much acclaim it initially received and how much of a legacy it’s generated since its release. It’s also not surprising that it has its fair share of criticism, but it’s baron in comparison to the many, many positive factors implemented into the experience. It’s one of the shortest epics out there, but it’s damn sure one hell of a memorable one.

Overall rating: 10

+Beautiful visuals
    +Beautiful soundtrack
    +Best co-op multiplayer experience in years
    +Excellent controls, camera, and no filler
    -Short
    -Motion control camera can be an annoyance
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    I'm not much into gaming. Actually I'm not into it at all. Maybe that's why I liked Journey, such a visual and silent adventure of which you can feel all the depth. You just wish it were longer.
  13. May 10, 2012
    It is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphicsIt is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphics are one of the best I have ever seen in a video game and in my opinion, might give Uncharted 3's graphics a run for its money and the online cooperative adds more emotional depth into the experience. Buy it, download it, experience it. Expand
  14. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is beautiful. The environments are stunning. The music is haunting. The best PSN game I have ever purchased and I haven't felt this good since Dear Esther on the PC. Buy this game, it is better if you do not know much about it before playing it. Go BUY IT.
  15. Feb 22, 2015
    This game was truly an amazing experience and the best PS Exclusive I have played to date. The length of the game did not bother me at all, I actually think its the perfect length for a game like this.
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    Beautiful game. And this game is a experience! There is no other game like this. This is emotionally engaging adventure from beginning to the epic ending.
  17. May 27, 2017
    Journey is a unique experience in all senses, and one of the greatest indie video games ever made. i do not know if it deserves a perfect mark, but the sensation that remains when you finish it is definitely that of a flawless game.

The artistic design is breathtaking and the different landscapes look incredible even on PS3. The music also fits quite well, and the vital message beneath is beautiful indeed. As many good pieces of art do, Journey suggests and evokes emotions. Concerning gameplay, there are also some secrets to replay the game, and, above all, you can play the whole game online.

Regarding its supposed short length, I disagree with those saying that two hours is too little considering its price (I bought it when discounted, in any case). Journey lasts what it has to last, a short period of time; otherwise, the experience would not be the same. Playing it in just one session is precisely one of the best points, in my opinion. It makes no sense reviewing the game badly because of that.

Journey is really worth playing.
  18. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Perfectly designed, paced, and conceived, and does not overstay its welcome
    + Visually stunning, with some creatively unmatched graphics solutions for its console generation
    + Fun drop-in co-op system with some aesthetically interesting ramifications
    ? In some aspects puts its form before its function in a way that some might not find engaging
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The graphics are some of the best for an arcade title. Journey probably has the most realistic sand in a video game, and snow. 10.

Sound: Soundtrack is amazing and emotional. It can also put you to sleep. 10. Gameplay: The game consists of exploration, and at times you’ll meet up with another fellow journey player. You work together to get through the journey. While

Sound: Soundtrack is amazing and emotional. It can also put you to sleep. 10.

Gameplay: The game consists of exploration, and at times you’ll meet up with another fellow journey player. You work together to get through the journey. While there is no main goal, the game is linear at the start, and after you finish the game, you may return to previous areas. Again, no main goal, but you are pointed towards this mountain that you head towards throughout the game. You can fly around as long as you get energy from certain scarfs, or if you continuously communicate with another player. Communication is a simple sound (sounds like a music note), it can be charged up to reveal or charge up objects. Further in the game you begin to fly around and the game becomes faster paced, there are some stealth parts in the game, but the punishment for getting caught isn’t much. You cannot die in the game, but if you do get hit by enemies your scarf decreases. The game is more of an interactive art rather than your average game. It is enjoyable but I can see this type of game having a lot more enjoyment, rather than a game where you’re constantly walking from point A to B. This game should have more punishment like death for failing. Platforming can be more intense, give a reason to make sure you don’t mess up besides having to climb back up. Boss fights? This game had the potential to be some much bigger, even on a Shadow of the Colloseus level, but instead again it’s more of an interactive art. 7.

Story: I didn’t understand it, most of the cutscenes showed what seemed to be a leader of all the scarfed people, but I can’t really say. Either way it was uninteresting, or besides looking artistic, it was bland and boring. 5.

Lasting Appeal/Value: I beat the game in a little over 2 hours; this game is on the market for $15 which is an unreasonable price. While I did enjoy the experience, this game definitely should have been cheaper. As for other websites giving this game the game of the year, and praising/hyping it, it really doesn’t deserve it. Flower was more interesting than Journey. I will say though that the meeting of another player where no real communication happens yet you work so well together is indeed an amazing experience. 8.

Overall Score: 8 out of 10.
  20. Jun 26, 2014
    An amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer youAn amazing game, like nothing I've played before. I knew nothing about this game until I experienced it. It's beautiful looking, beautiful sounding and one of the most emotive and fascinating games I've ever played. On my second play-through I had the luck of playing through the game with a partner and the way the multiplayer works is terriffic. I don't care how hardcore a gamer you are you really need to sit down for 2 hours of your life and play through Journey. 10/10 Expand
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    An amazing and beautiful game, and a breath of fresh air. The graphics are jaw-dropping and the ability of the game to tell a story with zero dialogue or text is similarly impressive. Words cannot really describe the emotions I felt as I finished the game. Go buy and play the game yourself. Unless you're a troglodyte, you'll be impressed.
  22. Apr 11, 2016
    Are you are tired of gaming? Has your interest in gaming been dulled over time with the endless games that are just the same but in a different clothing? Or are you just plain fed up of all that DLC and penny pinching that is plaguing the industry these days? Then let me tell you, you need this game!
  23. Apr 20, 2017
    Very cool idea of a game and you have to play it online to enjoy the full experience because that's how the game was originally meant to be played. You will have a magical and fun journey that you will remember for a long time.

Good music and art style and the idea of the game is whats makes it so unique from any other game.
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    A unique, amazing experience. Play this if you own a PS3. Visuals and music are perfect. Multiplayer is unique but doesn't add anything gameplay-wise. Story is open for interpretation but the ending is pretty emotional.
  25. Jan 9, 2015
    This was the first game I played on PS3 and I have to say, it's magnificent!

Pros:
    Stunning Visuals
    Excellent Soundtrack
    Desert Slide Section

Cons:
    Puzzle Elements are poorly implemented and are unnecessary

Journey is a really compelling game that will go through video game history, but I wish thatgamecompany made it more of an experience than an actual game.

26. Mar 14, 2012
    There really nothing I have seen or read that could have prepared me for this experience. Regardless, I don't want to spoil a single inch of this game. This may sound ridiculous, but perhaps after playing it you will understand. This game completely challenges the very concepts of what video games can be and the kinds of long inert emotions we've never known existed. Anyone with anThere really nothing I have seen or read that could have prepared me for this experience. Regardless, I don't want to spoil a single inch of this game. This may sound ridiculous, but perhaps after playing it you will understand. This game completely challenges the very concepts of what video games can be and the kinds of long inert emotions we've never known existed. Anyone with an open-mind and taste for exploration and art should be playing this game. Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2012
    Cons: only one - the price. The game is too short to charge 15 dollars. Games that cost say 60 dollars can last for hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game only lasts a few hours. Maybe 10 bucks would be the top end for value. Pros: the aesthetics alone make this top notch. It is so beautiful to look at and to play and the feeling of playing matches perfectly the look...smooth, fun,Cons: only one - the price. The game is too short to charge 15 dollars. Games that cost say 60 dollars can last for hundreds of hours of gameplay. This game only lasts a few hours. Maybe 10 bucks would be the top end for value. Pros: the aesthetics alone make this top notch. It is so beautiful to look at and to play and the feeling of playing matches perfectly the look...smooth, fun, clever. I wish the makers would start turning out more games like this, Flower along with this game are wonderful, but more product please. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2012
    I could go into great, nonsensical, detail on the many reasons as to why you should play this simply magnificent game but I will only give you one; you will have never played anything like it before, and I doubt you ever will again. Unique, emotional, brilliant and enjoyable. The only way to understand how good this game is is to organically experience itself, not by reading the words ofI could go into great, nonsensical, detail on the many reasons as to why you should play this simply magnificent game but I will only give you one; you will have never played anything like it before, and I doubt you ever will again. Unique, emotional, brilliant and enjoyable. The only way to understand how good this game is is to organically experience itself, not by reading the words of other critics. Expand
  29. Apr 11, 2012
    I didn't play Journey. I watched as my best friend played it. But I was simply captivated by this game. Four main reasons for why it's AWESOME: 1. It really feels unique, not just for the gameplay, but also for the setting and the plot; 2. Journey makes you think about thousand things, from ancient civilisations to cartoons you saw in your childhood, but also - why not? - even poses youI didn't play Journey. I watched as my best friend played it. But I was simply captivated by this game. Four main reasons for why it's AWESOME: 1. It really feels unique, not just for the gameplay, but also for the setting and the plot; 2. Journey makes you think about thousand things, from ancient civilisations to cartoons you saw in your childhood, but also - why not? - even poses you metaphysical questions. 3. Graphics are stunning! 4. Multiplayer... my God, multiplayer in Journey is a masterpiece! Pinging with a stranger is probably more engaging and socializing (albeit in anonymous way) than many hours I spent in WoW and other "social" games... I give this game 8. I would give it 9 if not for the last part before the ending, which left me a bit disappointed because of being a bit too much arcade... It felt like Sonic or Rayman, not Journey... Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2012
    A natural progression from flow thru to flower and now journey. That Game Company once again comes up shining with yet another new experience. If you could convey the feeling you get while playing journey to the human race the world would be a more peaceful place. Journey manages to create/convey an almost spiritual feeling of peace/ wonderment/ relaxation and beauty all rolled into oneA natural progression from flow thru to flower and now journey. That Game Company once again comes up shining with yet another new experience. If you could convey the feeling you get while playing journey to the human race the world would be a more peaceful place. Journey manages to create/convey an almost spiritual feeling of peace/ wonderment/ relaxation and beauty all rolled into one for the experience that is journey. That game company do this by using some clever minimalistic design concepts. Of minimal interaction and communication with other players while at the same time the game promotes and plays better if you journey together searching and investigating or later as a spirit guide for the newer players helping them achieve the final hidden gems. Although short at just over 3-hours on my first playthru. Journey requires multiple playthrus to see everything and for it to reveal its secrets. So you can at least triple the game-time. another different idea is you never know how many people you actually met or interacted with until completion of the run thru it could be 1 player or more usual multiple players. A must play if you want to play a totally new concept game instead of the stale shooter genre. Expand

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]