Journey PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Jun 5, 2012
    thatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longerthatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longer then the game would've suffered. If you aren't into artistic types of games then look elsewhere, but if you do, you will not be disappointed. Very excited to see what thatgamecompany's next project will be. Kind of hoping it will be on all platforms so everybody can enjoy it. Expand
  2. Jun 7, 2012
    Thatgamecompany has made quite a reputation for themselves over the past few years. Their â
  3. Jun 27, 2012
    This is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do withThis is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do with challenges than it does revisiting a nook of Chen's extraordinary imagination. The player develops an affection not only for their environment, but also for anonymous company they encounter along the way, in spite of never communicating verbally with other players nor knowing who they are until the end of play. Every last aspect of this game has been given deep consideration, and the results show in abundance. Perfect ten - and we ought to be pleased we can download this to our consoles, as it belongs in a gallery moreover anywhere else! Expand
  4. Oct 8, 2013
    Sinceramente não sei o que as pessoas viram nesse jogo. Ir de um lado para outro, sem nada mais o que fazer.... Gráficos bonitinhos, e nada além disso. Um lixo, não compre!
  5. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyoneThis game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyone who cares to look deep enough. If you don't, you only cheat yourself out of a great experience. If you do, then you get something great. Expand
  6. Aug 14, 2012
    I haven't played this game but I am going to get it very soon based on reading these reviews. The reason I wanted to weigh in is that I'm amazed by a couple people complaining that there isn't much of anywhere to go...Just read the title, it's not about the destination, it's about the JOURNEY. Stop worrying about where you have to go and enjoy living in the moment.
  7. Aug 17, 2012
    anyone who rated journey below an 8 just doesnt get it. go back to your shooters i guess. i love shooters too, but this game is seriously awesome and there is no way in H3LL that people shouldnt like it.
  8. Dec 5, 2012
    Somewhere out there is a person who's name I will never know, who's face I will never see and who's voice I will never hear, but I will never forget them. For an hour and a half I fought against temptation, impatience, and personal reward to stay by their side, and they did the same for me without so much as a hesitation.

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild elements of what a "game" is, such as platforming and puzzle solving, but these things are never used in such a way that they hinder your progress or pull you away from your ultimate goal. Rather, they are there to pull you deeper into the world you find yourself mysteriously dropped into.

No words can properly describe the experience that is Journey, because it is a human experience unlike any other that I have seen in gaming. The soundtrack is grandiose without being intrusive, the environments are hauntingly beautiful, and every camera movement has been carefully planned out. The art direction is second to none with absolutely no inconsistencies, and the graphics themselves are absolutely flawless. Essentially, there isn't a single thing that I can reproach to Journey, because whatever flaws it might have are unnoticeable whereas it's long-term emotional and visual impact are unforgettable.

Due to it's ambient multiplayer element, there are times when your adventure feels soul-crushingly lonely, only to have it turned on it's head by encountering a mysterious traveler along your path. You can not communicate with this other person through any other means than singing short musical notes and by standing close to them to recharge your energy. This, surprisingly, creates the deepest, most emotional multiplayer one can experience as it does away with any fears of player aggression, rage-quits, racism, or any other elements you'd typically find in an online game. Not only does this limited communication eliminate those hindrances, but it also somehow enhances gameplay by making your singing the sole output for your emotion. There hasn't been a single playthrough where I have not understood what my traveling companion was trying to convey.

People often bemoan the fact that Journey is only an hour and a half long, and to them I have to ask if they truly understood what the game was doing. A movie of the same length can take up to six years to create and people gladly pay 12$ for a movie ticket, yet they feel 'cheated' by paying 15$ for the most emotional and stirring experience a game could ever bring you simply because "it's so short". Journey's key strength isn't in how it plays, but rather in how it feels and the impact left on your mind after it's all over.

Obviously, this is not a title for everyone. Many have written reviews about how they "just don't get it" or "fell for the hype", and it's regrettable to say that there are going to be people out there who simply won't feel the impact of this experience for whatever reason. To everyone else, people who want to experience art and emotion and music and a deep, primal connection to other people, go buy Journey now.
  9. Sep 4, 2012
    Este juego es una obra maestra, un juego sencillo y a la vez cautivante, una dirección artística de altísimo nivel, una OST perfectamente adecuado y bueno, no hay que olvidar su sencillo online, que hace el juego mas interesante... ya que siempre jugarás con alguien que no conoces y ni conocerás al menos que pases el juego..
  10. Sep 8, 2012
    I was rather skeptic when a friend told me about Journey, hearing that it is not really a game.
    But I decided to check it out and I wasn't disappointed. It is truly *different*. There really is no gameplay in the traditional sense. It is more about exploring, watching, listening - *feeling*. Journey offers a unique style in visuals, combined with gentle sounds and an absolutely breathtaking soundtrack.
    I really don't want to go into what happens since you need to see it for yourself. Let me just say that Journey was the first game in the last decade that managed to make me tear up a few times. Not due to sadness but happiness. This game is art and beauty.

Journey is not a game, it's an experience.
  11. Feb 21, 2013
    Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão,Journey, assim como Flower, Shadow of The Colossus, possui uma grande profundidade artistica, e são poucas pessoas que não enxergam isso, e essas pessoas que dão notas ruins e não possuem sensibilidade artística. Eu não possuo essa capacidade ainda, mas reconheço quando um jogo busca profundidade ao invés de jogatina. Journey um jogo para aqueles que buscam um jogo diferente do padrão, não apenas para jogar, mas algo filosófico. Expand
  12. Oct 11, 2012
    rilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the gamerilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the game being overhyped and me setting expectations that it was not supposed to achieve. So I waited until a day where I had nothing better to do and gave it shot. BEST CHOICE EVER. Immediately I was drawn in by the visuals in the sand (it looks too real), but confused and not quite sure what my goal was. So I wandered, was rewarded, and looked to do it again. Every step of the way was an iteration on the previous levels mechanics and visual offerings, to a point where I thought I had reached the coolest part of the game. Well? Nope, I was wrong the next level was even better, and the one after that better than the previous. The mood fluctuated and avoided a continuously upbeat feeling, but still was able to deliver visually and from a gameplay side better than the previous level. The music is fantastic and very much tied to my characters actions, and I would highly recommend playing with the volume up a lot extra(I won't lie, [spoiler] I was scared **** the first time one of the rock creatures rose from the ground near me Expand
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    For such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to playFor such a short game (roughly around 2 hours for a play through), it's incredibly rich, both in emotional depth, and graphical fidelity, it's a beautiful game, and It's all about immersion, much in the same way that Shadow of the Colossus was. When I initially sat down to play, I wasn't thinking about play time, and then before I knew it, it was over. It wasn't my intention to play through the entire game in one sitting, but when I got started, it was difficult to stop right in the middle. My first reaction was to go back and play it again though. Despite the fact that the game itself is fairly short, it's replay value is really high. Especially if you're the type of gamer who likes to accomplish trophies. Your first time through, you'll be lucky to achieve one or two trophies.

Amazingly, there isn't a single line of spoken dialog in the entire game, but there's a fairly deep and engaging story that unfolds (so long as you're paying attention).

I would recommend this game to anyone who is into puzzle games, platformers, or anyone who just wants something a little bit different to play.
  14. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game. It's got great music, great and stunning graphics, the co-op feature is just amazing. I mean not knowing who you will run into, what gender or how old they are is fun. I met someone that stuck with me through chapter 1 all the way to chapter 6. They distracted the big monster in chapter 5. I noticed most people didn't like the ending, well I think it ended that way because the creator wanted the players to create their own ending to the game. I just love the wonderful music in this game and the game itself! If you have a PS3, or your friend even. Go out and try this game, you'll love it for sure especially if you love slow paced games where you can just stop and take a deep breath...Well expect in Chapter 5...My heart was racing. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a solid, decent game. The graphics are as good, if not better than anything the major studios put out. The soundtrack is amazing and the progression is straight forward. It is about two hours in length and costs around $10 - 15 bucks. Journey, however, feels a little over-hyped. Definitely a good game, but not game of the year material. It is cool the developers created a gameThis is a solid, decent game. The graphics are as good, if not better than anything the major studios put out. The soundtrack is amazing and the progression is straight forward. It is about two hours in length and costs around $10 - 15 bucks. Journey, however, feels a little over-hyped. Definitely a good game, but not game of the year material. It is cool the developers created a game different from the norm in an amazing way. Definitely worth a play through, but not much beyond that. Expand
  16. Jan 31, 2013
    Beautiful. That is the best way to describe this game. Whether the player had an emotional reaction or just an appreciation for the visual and audio art all comes down to preference. And that's what's so special about this game.
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    Okay, I really don't understand this one. Being a gamer for the past 25 years, I don't understand people telling this game is perfect or close to perfect... Okay it's beautiful and emotive by moments, but no real story, no voice acting, no combat, nothing happens, reaaaaaally slow...
  18. Oct 21, 2014
    I will give this game the credit it is due: It is utterly gorgeous. I have yet to see more impressive visuals (that aren't pre-rendered cut scenes.) I truly understand why so many people seem to be gob-smacked by this game. The play style is also a breath of fresh air, so different from many other titles out there and not afraid to be a bit different.

With that said, it took me a while

With that said, it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on. There is no spoken or text narration. The game is narrated by the visuals (would have been nice if that was more obvious from the start.) At first the game feels a little directionless with little point to it just allot of "Ooooo, pretty colors" moments. But as you scurry along you realize that you are involuntarily following a predetermined path. It felt pretty cool at first as the game does mask its linearity pretty well, but once you notice it, you notice it (only a spoiler if you're a complete moron.)

If anything, Journey is nothing more than an interactive visual tech demo in a sort of storybook-ish format.

Overall:
    I do have to say that this game is highly overrated for what it is when looked at as a game. But still, it is gorgeous and does deserve recognition for that alone, it's just a real shame that there isn't more to it.
  19. Jan 12, 2013
    This is not just a game - it's a masterpiece game industry, developers should be commended .. I spit on Battlefield 3 and Crysis .. I think that you have the same opinion.
  20. Jan 15, 2013
    Amazing, Truly amazing. If the mysterious story can't keep you hooked then the sandy and beautiful environment will. Endless re playability and really nice drop in-drop out co-op system.
  21. Mar 5, 2014
    Its not much of a game and more move in a straight line and look at pretty colors world. Its saving grace is that it is extremely short and gets out of the way before it can get mind numbing and boring. There are much more exciting indie projects out there that are actually games. Like Trine, Braid, Limbo that all have gameplay to backup nice looking graphics.
  22. Mar 18, 2013
    Disappointed, bored and anti-climatic are all word I would use to describe this game. I got into it a bit and was truly scared, wowed and what-not, but I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for something magical to happen. I understand the point of the game is to underline the importance of a journey and not just the destination, but I was wanting to be done with the game and atDisappointed, bored and anti-climatic are all word I would use to describe this game. I got into it a bit and was truly scared, wowed and what-not, but I felt like the whole time I was just waiting for something magical to happen. I understand the point of the game is to underline the importance of a journey and not just the destination, but I was wanting to be done with the game and at the same time hoping something worthwhile was going to happen at the end. There are a few parts that are fun and engaging, but mostly this game is just boring. The graphics are good, but nothing amazing compared to other games. This game gets compared to Unfinished Swan. That game is high quality, this game is blah. Unfinished Swan has a real ending and leaves you feeling complete and successful. Journey does neither. I really don't want to play thru Journey again, but when you finish a game and only get 1 trophy, you're left to just wonder what you were supposed to do to get more trophies and think maybe I played the game the wrong way? I liked meeting other players, but found that aspect very confusing. Generally playing a game in a way that the developers wanted you to play gets you the most trophies, but I'm just confused. I can appreciate that this game is language and culture diagnostic, but it gives up all identity with it. There's reason to care about the traveler, but there's little understanding on where you going and why. This game is too short, too bland, too boring and I'm sad that I paid double for this than I paid for Unfinished Swan. Different experiences on playstation keep things fresh, but this is just underwhelming. If there wasn't so much hype, I would have enjoyed the game more. The hype kinda destroyed it, because I wanted an award winning experience. Telling me that this game is better than Unfinished Swan, Batman, Sound Shapes, Uncharted 3, Ghost Recon, Max Payne and the like is just false. Expand
  23. Apr 23, 2013
    Mark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the needMark my words, Journey will go on to be one of the most influential games in history. It’s proved that a game doesn’t need dialogue to tell a beautiful story, and that a game doesn’t have to be long to be impact a gamer forever, and that it doesn’t need to come in a box to do this. The developer thatgamecompany has set an incredibly high bar and simultaneously lowered it. Without the need of a huge budget or luxuries AAA titles are given, they have proven that games indeed are art.
    Thomas Merton once said, “Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.” Journey made people drown in creativity and be lost within a painting. We wondered what was next, we became attached to this cloaked figure that we knew nothing about and more we learned his story with him the closer we got to him. This journey, set in the most beautiful world in gaming I’ve ever seen, heard or felt, is what gaming is all about; living the experience.
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    I decied to give this a try after all the praise it was receiving and it's easy to see why. Immediately when you start the game you are taken in by the beautiful art style and graphics. Your nameless character then gets up and you move towards the mountain in the distance. Movement in this game is so fluid, your character flows and glides over every sand dune. Thingts get even better whenI decied to give this a try after all the praise it was receiving and it's easy to see why. Immediately when you start the game you are taken in by the beautiful art style and graphics. Your nameless character then gets up and you move towards the mountain in the distance. Movement in this game is so fluid, your character flows and glides over every sand dune. Thingts get even better when you meet another player though. You will join into a match unknowingly and seamlessly and not being able to communicate with a player except with pings from your character is an interesting multiplayer mechanic that I would love to see more of. The game probably is a bit short though which us one of my only criticisms. The best way to play the game is in one uninterupted sitting, just open your mind and absorb yourself in the visuals and the game and take away your own interpretation of the story. Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most immersive games I have played in my life. This game is the perfect example why I love video games. Music, graphics, game experience: everything is great. Thanks so much ThatGameCompany!!!
  26. Feb 4, 2015
    Though Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional videoThough Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional video game and it certainly acts more like an art project or cinematic experience than a gaming experience, however, there’s much, much more gameplay elements than we witnessed in Flower: the controls and camera are smooth—however, the inclusion of the motion control camera seems unnecessary and at its worst, distracting; it’s easy and has a duration of about 90 minutes if you play it straight through, but once you realize that every single cutscene, design, and overall detail is well warranted and the complete erasure of any filler, it’s definitely necessary and only makes the impact more well-deserved than it already is. And at last, it’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played—and I’m taking into account games like 2001’s Ico, 2005’s Shadow of the Colossus, 2006’s Ōkami, and many, many more. From the animation of the sand to the vibrant design of the creatures made of cloth, it’s a testament to just how visually stunning a video game can be, comparable to that of an art film. And the soundtrack, composed by Austin Wintory, is couldn’t be any more of a greater fit, how it’s timed and how it syncs into every single moment like a puzzle piece, the Grammy nomination was obviously earned. It’s certainly not an experience everyone will find joyous, however, besides the emotional impact Journey left on me, I have revisited the game multiple times already—the multiplayer experience is a one-of-a-kind and just factors into the emotions, it’s one of the most rewarding co-op experiences I’ve ever witnessed. The Trophies are easily earned yet exciting to collect and once you collect your White Robe after earning the Transcendence Trophy, you’ll be jumping with joy if you’re anymore of a fan than I am. If I’m overrating Journey, it’s because of complete bias, but even outside of a personal experience, it’s not surprising how much acclaim it initially received and how much of a legacy it’s generated since its release. It’s also not surprising that it has its fair share of criticism, but it’s baron in comparison to the many, many positive factors implemented into the experience. It’s one of the shortest epics out there, but it’s damn sure one hell of a memorable one.

Overall rating: 10

+Beautiful visuals
    +Beautiful soundtrack
    +Best co-op multiplayer experience in years
    +Excellent controls, camera, and no filler
    -Short
    -Motion control camera can be an annoyance
  27. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one is very different from what we are used to & is a truly unique experience I will always remember.
    Journey proves that we don't always need weapons, blood or fights to have a good time. I personally loved the non dialogue approach, which has absolutely no negative impact on the story. It feels very relaxing, just like a spiritual meditation session, lost in a desert, guided buy the wind, with the help of magic carpets.

The intensity of silence & music, will reveal in you a sense of goodness, hope & achievement. The refinement & artistry of the visuals transport you to a world where you are secure, in peace, no matter what obstacle you encounter. Graphics, while always important, here more than ever, help you to appreciate & enjoy the game even more. The main character looks simple, its minimalist design is a perfect example that less is more. Even the sand is very shiny & quite impressive on its own.

If you are a sensitive person, it should get through your emotions in a way that it is touching. Though usually not a fan of online gaming, I have to admit that having a companion along the way was comforting.
    The ending, we walk through a sanctuary of light, our minds free with the certitude that we accomplished everything when passing away. It's true that the game is not so challenging, but if you understood well, it obviously was not the main goal. Thanks for introducing an outstanding concept & gameplay, maybe showing the path to a new gaming style era? All I can say is that I hope there will be a second & ''longer'' JOURNEY, this idea deserves further exploration, we want more!

Unfortunately, the game is way too short but that is the only bad thing to mention. If developers took the time to make such a memorable piece of art, they should have also taken the time to make it last longer.
    Of course nothing lasts forever but one thing is for sure, we don't want this Journey to end after only 2 or 3 hours. For that reason, I'm forced to lower the rating to 7 on 10, even if I thought it was amazing.
  28. Aug 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I was playing Journey, I was constantly trying to put my finger on what I loved so much about it. Here I was, walking about and occasionally tapping O, with a little bit of X thrown in sporadically. Not much in the way of gameplay, I realised. But that, I began to realise near the end, was the point: Journey plays out a bit like a film: you sit back and passively consume the events that happen within the experience. It's just so relaxing to sit back and watch the scenery, seeing the lovely patterns that are created in the sand as you walk. I would elaborate more on why this game is such a joy to experience, but I'll sum it up with one word: subtlety. Expand
  29. Oct 6, 2013
    This game is simply inspiring, as Flower was. A must to play, alone and in company. Remarkable BSO. Waiting for more works from this crew. Congratulations.

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]