• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Mar 13, 2012
8.8

1. Mar 13, 2012
    Are you are tired of gaming? Has your interest in gaming been dulled over time with the endless games that are just the same but in a different clothing? Or are you just plain fed up of all that DLC and penny pinching that is plaguing the industry these days? Then let me tell you, you need this game!

Save this game for a rainy day where your feeling a little melancholy, a little tired of the world around,
    close the door on society and make sure no one can interrupt you for the next two hours and be absorbed into what will be the most touching two hours of your gaming life!
    You will embark on a journey with another, they will become your video gaming soul mate for the next 2 hours. Both will share an understanding, like two people who speak different languages but can communicate just by knowing what the other person is gesturing. This is gaming nirvana and it has given me a little faith back in video games.
    When its done like this no other medium can speak to you this way! I'm afraid companies like this are in a minority but by god am I going to support them to put out more games like this. Ive stood up and applauded my favorite bands, Ive even stood up and applauded my favorite movie in the theater! But never and I mean never have I stood up and applauded a game after I have completed it, that is until now and I'm not ashamed to tell you that is exactly what I did...even shaking my own head in disbelief of what I was doing!....this piece of art is THAT good!
  2. Mar 17, 2012
    The game is short, but I assure you will live a unique experience, I loved the game, the graphics are excellent, the music is amazing ... the game is linear, but worth the $ 14.99 and more
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    The word "experience" is thrown around a lot in the gaming industry these days, but this game is truly an experience like no other.From start to finish, it is a beautiful, emotionally engaging adventure and a real masterpiece. For anyone who says that video games can't be art, this game might have a few things to say to you.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    I usually don't review games on Metacritic. And no, that's not because I'm affiliated with thatgamecompany (I have actually reviewed Bastion before), but I won't blame anyone for thinking so. The reason I'm writing this review, as opposed to other games, is that I actually think Journey is delivering something I have never before experienced in gaming. I have read people complain about theI usually don't review games on Metacritic. And no, that's not because I'm affiliated with thatgamecompany (I have actually reviewed Bastion before), but I won't blame anyone for thinking so. The reason I'm writing this review, as opposed to other games, is that I actually think Journey is delivering something I have never before experienced in gaming. I have read people complain about the two hours, arguing that the game "is not worth it". That's all fair, but for me $15 (or 115 SEK as I paid here in Sweden) is in my opinion a reasonable price. We pay almost the same price for a movie ticket here, and in my book the two hours Journey take to "finish" one time is by far a better time to spend than most films. But enough of arguing about price and length. The main reason for writing this review is that I really hope people give this game a chance (whether you buy it or play it at some friends house). As someone here hinted at, this is not what I would call a "game" per se, as much as en experience. It's not for everyone, I get that, but I felt more joy, wonder and excitement while sliding on sand dunes and slowly exploring the different areas, than I have done with any media product before. What made me really take to it was when I stumbled upon another character in game (or she/he stumbled upon me). At first I didn't know what to do - should I follow her/him, can we communicate in some way, do I even want to play this with someone? We ended up joining each other, and started exploring. As we solved puzzles, traversed beautiful landscapes and faced some dangers together, I grew more and more attached to this stranger I was travelling with. Whoever it was, I felt that we were in this together, that despite our not being able to speak we connected and wanted to experience this world together. When we got lost from each other, both tried to find our way back together. We always waited for the other, and when one of us found something of interest, we would try to get the other's attention to go look at it together. I have never felt this connection with another player in any other game - I genuinely cared for my friend, and in some way hoped that we would - on another playthrough - happen upon each other and somehow recognize one another. There are of course other factors that make this game such a unique experience - the incredibly intuitive and unobtrusive feeling of control, the fantastically realized vistas and halls, the emerging musical score - but the "multiplayer" aspect is what really struck home with me. It is not a flawless product: the openness of the areas are mostly illusory, and I would enjoy some way of playing this without having to worry about the length of the scarf. But it doesn't have to be flawless (and what is?) when it enable me to feel and enjoy things I have never before done. If more games tried to do what Journey does, I would have a less pessimistic view of the gaming industry than I do now. Make what you will of this review, but do not dismiss the game simply on questions about Metacritic's system, the potentially **** practice of some reviewers, or the length of the game. Dismiss it because you've tried it and it's not your thing, if something. But at least give it a shot, these types of games does not come often enough to afford skipping them. Expand
  5. Apr 7, 2012
    This isn't a game my friends, it's an experience. An experience that every self proclaimed gamer should have on their ps3. The whole time I was blown away by the beautiful landscapes and by the mystery surrounding everything. The ending was magnificent to say the least.
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    I had never heard of this game when I bought it... I was just bored. When it finally finished downloading and I got to start playing, it quickly became one of the best things I've ever downloaded from the PS store. I love the silence, the lack of direction, and the mood music. I didn't realize that the other [whatever you are] that showed up at some point was actually another person. II had never heard of this game when I bought it... I was just bored. When it finally finished downloading and I got to start playing, it quickly became one of the best things I've ever downloaded from the PS store. I love the silence, the lack of direction, and the mood music. I didn't realize that the other [whatever you are] that showed up at some point was actually another person. I thought it was just the computer... It was pretty jarring when the game ended so soon, but the environment was so rich that I didn't mind at all. I just liked running around the world, so I just played it over again... At least as much fun the 2nd time through. I'm going to have to go check out Flow and Flower now as well because Journey was just an incredibly enjoyable experience. Thanks ThatGameCompany! Expand
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    Very few games offer an experience that shows so much through the use of so few words. The beautiful art style leads you to see a once beautiful society that only exists fully in the minds of the player. Thank you to thatgamecompany for creating what could possibly be the most thoughtful and thought provoking game of this year.
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    Simply incredible, it may be short but what a beautiful ride to the horizon. 10 pounds may seem a little steep but when the visuals and audio are this fantastic who cares. A completely refreshing experience when compared to the modern hum drum by the numbers games that most developers pump out. A perfect example of when a game elevates itself to true art. The imagination that went intoSimply incredible, it may be short but what a beautiful ride to the horizon. 10 pounds may seem a little steep but when the visuals and audio are this fantastic who cares. A completely refreshing experience when compared to the modern hum drum by the numbers games that most developers pump out. A perfect example of when a game elevates itself to true art. The imagination that went into this is reason I play video games... To be entertained. Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2012
    I do not understand these reviewers, it's as if we played a different game. I encourage you to read this before you spend the steep 15 dollars on this game. In short, Journey had so much potential and was initially so intriguing but by the end your journey is for nothing; there is no pay off, no explanation, and if you really made a bond with your SIX (or more) random pals may I introduceI do not understand these reviewers, it's as if we played a different game. I encourage you to read this before you spend the steep 15 dollars on this game. In short, Journey had so much potential and was initially so intriguing but by the end your journey is for nothing; there is no pay off, no explanation, and if you really made a bond with your SIX (or more) random pals may I introduce you to my wall? Really.

I enjoy artsy games and movies. I love a good and a simple storyline because generally games like those have one or two profound things to say. On the surface Journey seems to have that. When you meet your "partner" for the first time it's exciting: here's someone who can help me along in this place. But in the end it's a solo experience. At first, I thought it might be important to wait for my partner as they bounded this way and that, so I did. Then I lost them. Then I forged ahead and determined there was no need for them. You literally have no need for the other person and in fact they slow you down.

Then things get more intense and you're faced with an enemy.... who hits you hard and does basically nothing to you, so there's no danger and nothing a partner could have done anyway. Things get more intense, you're fighting against the elements but while you're freezing nothing is really happening to you. I found another partner and they just ran from me, there was no reason for us to be together.

You get to the end and you expect some epiphany, something as touching as these reviewers claim there is but there is NOTHING. You walk into a white light and it literally says "Thank you for playing Journey!" ...really? You leave the game as clueless as you entered it. The description promises you'll uncover or learn something and that is just a flat lie.

A beautiful game with a great concept and tons of hype but in the end it could not be less worthwhile.
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    Journey is the best example of how most simple of a game can be it opens up an endless amount of stories to be told and experience!
    I beg to differ on how someone said it's a short game well,the concept of journey is the meaning of life itself.
    The truth is life IS short but are you going to make it a good journey till' the end? The concept behind Journey cannot be beat you start off on
    The concept behind Journey cannot be beat you start off on the Journey of your life you meet people,some just comes and go some are there to guide you or helping get past all the obstacles in the end you know that you are never a loner.
    It's the game that cannot be describe by words just play it and if you feel warm deep inside after the credits roll you know it's QUITE a Journey. No numbers can properly rate this "game" just the way the meaning of life is,it cannot be measured!
  11. Mar 21, 2012
    Ever since Thatgamecompany made a big splash with 2009 Flower, the company made big plans with its follow up Journey. I found it hard at first to believe that Thatgamecompany could strike yet another emotional chord after doing so with Flower. However Thatgamecompany proved me wrong and I was not only convinced that they have successfully created another hit but they have created theirEver since Thatgamecompany made a big splash with 2009 Flower, the company made big plans with its follow up Journey. I found it hard at first to believe that Thatgamecompany could strike yet another emotional chord after doing so with Flower. However Thatgamecompany proved me wrong and I was not only convinced that they have successfully created another hit but they have created their best game to date.
    Journey places you in a beautiful world where the ambiguous character, the environments, and the goal created an ambiance that lifts the core theme of Journey to a climax throughout the whole game. If Flower was a poem within the industry, then Journey is more of an experience of loneliness. Everything from the music being on cue to the silence itself helped bring Journey to a different level. The lack of direction is also a fresh concept since many modern games tend to hold your hand now and days. So being left in the dark to figure out what to do is part of the experience. Out of all of these amazing features however there is one feature that claims itself to bring the most important factor of the game, the chance that you may encounter another wanderer.
    Within an industry that has only improved because of the inclusion of the internet. It is a little hard to adjust being alone. When signed into PSN however you may find yourself traveling with another as you both experience the world for the first time. With no way to actually communicate (other than a single button within the game) the idea of joining one another to reach the mountain is an emotional journey. After beating the game with a partner I can say that this gives Journey a whole new feel than beating it alone. Because the game was meant to give off the sense of being alone though I also suggest that you beat the game unplugged so that you have no chance to meet another person. Sounds a little harsh but the end result is an amazing one.
    I highly suggest that you get and play this game. I can easily say that there is now other game out there that does what Journey does. If youâ
  12. Jul 27, 2013
    As so many have already said, this isn't a game, it's an experience. The visuals are stunning, and the score masterfully blends with what is going on in the game. The drop in, drop out multiplayer experience is unique and adds an entire new layer to the game, $15 dollars well spent.
  13. May 10, 2012
    It is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphicsIt is all about experience. This game is absolutely breathtaking to play and probably the best downloadable game on the Playstation Network and one of the best games I have played on the Playstation 3. While only 2 hours in length, these two hours are one of the most reflective experiences you will ever have in any video game. The gameplay is extremely easy so anyone can play, the graphics are one of the best I have ever seen in a video game and in my opinion, might give Uncharted 3's graphics a run for its money and the online cooperative adds more emotional depth into the experience. Buy it, download it, experience it. Expand
  14. Mar 23, 2012
    Magical. Inspiring. Beautiful. This one has it all and more. I couldn't stop smiling while exploring the world of Journey. Be warned, though: as a side effect it made me go back and buy the other 2 games from this developer. :)
  15. Mar 23, 2012
    Journey is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out toJourney is truly a work of art. The sounds, the images, the anonymity, the simplicity. This is more than a game. It allows the player to experience emotion in its purest and most primitive forms. It is proof that human nature is to unify. Journey cannot be missed. Every game with 3 too many iterations, every game that tacks on multiplayer to be "relevant," every game that rushes out to retail with too many glitches, every game with day 1 DLC, every "safe" game that doesn't meander from the tried and true, take note. Take many notes. Journey is what you should strive to be. Be humbled. Thank you thatgamecompany for Journey. Thank you Austin Wintory and co. for the intimate soundtrack. This is what gaming should be. Expand
  16. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Journey is the closest thing to meditation for gamers that has ever existed. It is stunningly beautiful and utterly enchanting from start to finish. Don't let the shortness put you off as this game delivers in emotion in its 2 hr span, more than any 10 hr + game that i have played.

I cannot stress enough how good this game is. Starting alone as a nameless stranger with mere jumping and singing at your disposal, to sand surfing and flying and meeting fellow travelers (also nameless) on your quest to the mountain. Everything and anything this game does is something you simply must experience. Please stop reading this now and go and play Journey.
  17. Jul 20, 2012
    Journey is really beautiful, but if it was a solo experience I'd probably give it an 8. The people you meet along the way are what makes Journey really unique. Your mileage may vary depending on who you run across, but ideally you'll meet at least a couple people who know what they're doing and are willing to stay with you and help you out. When you have a partner, the game is a lot moreJourney is really beautiful, but if it was a solo experience I'd probably give it an 8. The people you meet along the way are what makes Journey really unique. Your mileage may vary depending on who you run across, but ideally you'll meet at least a couple people who know what they're doing and are willing to stay with you and help you out. When you have a partner, the game is a lot more meaningful, and it makes the times when you don't have a partner that much more emotional. The subtle communication via pinging lets you show a lot, from a large "over here!" burst, to a frantic "help help help help help help", to a simple "thanks for being with me". Expand
  18. Mar 23, 2012
    How are you people beating this in an hour and a half?!? I'm confused by this. It took me four and a half hours to get through it the first time. I didn't even explore! I just went through the game! I never died. I never slowed down. I simply went through the game. Did I get a longer game or something? Regardless, I do love this game. I don't get the "emotional" aspect of it though...thatHow are you people beating this in an hour and a half?!? I'm confused by this. It took me four and a half hours to get through it the first time. I didn't even explore! I just went through the game! I never died. I never slowed down. I simply went through the game. Did I get a longer game or something? Regardless, I do love this game. I don't get the "emotional" aspect of it though...that critics seem to talk about. I honestly think they're just trying to be even more pretentious than all the other critics. It is a phenomenal game, however. Story? No. No story. Characters? Not really. There is no reason to care about your character, the people you meet online, or even about a plot. You are simply taking in the atmosphere and trying to work toward a goal. it is beautiful and, at times, awe-inspiring. Emotional though? No. That is Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain, and Kingdom Hearts territory. Journey is simply an interactive piece of artwork, much like Linger in Shadows, but there is DEFINITELY more interaction in Journey. Flower still remains my favorite game by Thegamecompany, but Journey is never leaving my PS3. Would it kill them to give us a platinum trophy? Seriously... What the frick, guys? Also, can we get a 3D patch? This is a gorgeous game and 3D would really push it over the edge for me. The same goes for Flower. ;) Expand
  19. Mar 3, 2013
    Journey is one of the most memorable games ever made. The goal of the game is very simple: you start at point A and work towards reaching point B. You will do some light platforming and puzzle solving along the way to unravel a mysterious story. The controls are equally simple as you move with the joystick and then use two action buttons, one to jump and the other to communicate. You willJourney is one of the most memorable games ever made. The goal of the game is very simple: you start at point A and work towards reaching point B. You will do some light platforming and puzzle solving along the way to unravel a mysterious story. The controls are equally simple as you move with the joystick and then use two action buttons, one to jump and the other to communicate. You will likely meet others along the way and this is where the game shows its true power as you learn to communicate and work with your ally (I won't say anymore-- it'll ruin the experience). It's really hard to describe Journey... it is an "artsy" game but one that I think everyone should try. Journey's minimalist concept, simple gameplay, beautiful visuals and tranquil soundtrack create an experience unlike any other. The short adventure, which only lasts about 2 hours, left me with many different thoughts and feelings... but it was an adventure I'll never forget. Expand
  20. Apr 2, 2012
    Beautiful game. Still enjoy playing it after having finished it at least 8-9 times. Only fault is that for the significant delay in release date the amount of work put in doesnt seem justifiable. The world is not large enough with all of the exploring finished in a few hours and if set to finishing the game in one continuous session it would not take you more than 1 1/2 hours.
  21. Mar 24, 2012
    A short, but tasty, meal of a game. This game differs so many from the ones around it, although something of this type and caliber is to be expected from thatgamecompany. The game works so well in its minimalist framework. You find yourself depending and supporting the other character in the game, forming an altruistic relationship with a stranger. It does become frustrating when theA short, but tasty, meal of a game. This game differs so many from the ones around it, although something of this type and caliber is to be expected from thatgamecompany. The game works so well in its minimalist framework. You find yourself depending and supporting the other character in the game, forming an altruistic relationship with a stranger. It does become frustrating when the support is not mutual, which may be due to a lack of explanation of the controls and the capabilities of the character. Expand
  22. Nov 27, 2012
    Beautiful game. Best played in one sitting, if you can do that. Otherwise, try to take fewer breaks. That's my only regret playing this game. I was interrupted too many times, which caused a disruption in the overall flow of the game.

The most intriguing part, for me, was the use of light. I've never experienced a game where light could have such a positive effect. I became happy when seeing light and partnering to turn on more lights in this game. It was a very unique experience.

Highly recommended.
  23. Apr 6, 2012
    In Gaming, there aren't many moments, too just seat, relax and feel apart of an world screaming for adventure. A World almost with no goals, just a path in front of us, that would take the gamers to places that they have never been in any other game or experience. This is Journey, a game that fulfill me so much that i just wanted to play over and over again. I never felt sad, happy, scaredIn Gaming, there aren't many moments, too just seat, relax and feel apart of an world screaming for adventure. A World almost with no goals, just a path in front of us, that would take the gamers to places that they have never been in any other game or experience. This is Journey, a game that fulfill me so much that i just wanted to play over and over again. I never felt sad, happy, scared at the same time in a game. This was simply amazing. http://moodgamer.blogspot.pt/2012/03/analise-do-jogo-journey-ps3psn.html Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is legendary and is the fastest top-selling game on the Playstation Network store. This is my favorite game of 2012. Thatgamecompany has done it again!
  25. Apr 12, 2012
    Journey is an amazing experience. To ignore it's brilliance is to be ignorant, and to pass it up would be a shame. From start to finish, it was an amazingly engrossing experience that is absolutely wonderful. And despite the length, I've never become so quickly attached to a world or main character in my gaming career. It's simple; you must play this game.
  26. Jan 31, 2013
    Journey.....oh dios mio Journey LEJOS lo mejor que he jugado en mucho pero mucho tiempo. Es para aplaudír a la pantalla.

Mas que por su arte o su musica, es por como las utiliza para la experiencia. Eres tu quien esta haciendo la travesia, tu estas superando los obstaculos que se te presentan, y tu estas haciendote de un amigo sin siquiera hablar con el con palabras por la

Mas que por su arte o su musica, es por como las utiliza para la experiencia.
    Eres tu quien esta haciendo la travesia, tu estas superando los obstaculos que se te presentan, y tu estas haciendote de un amigo sin siquiera hablar con el con palabras por la seguridad que te brinda viajar con el.
    TODOS DEBERIAN VIVIR ESTA EXPERIENCIA.
  27. Mar 28, 2012
    After playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives aAfter playing Journey, I can safely say that it is a gaming success. It's minimal, but gives a nice feel to it. You can finish it in 2-3 hours, it delivers the sheer beauty by gameplay, you walk around the desert to reach a mountain, you obtain words to speak to your other person while playing online, the multiplayer is a perfect concept, you can play with 1 other player, it gives a mystery because you don't know who you are playing with and there is no chat boxes. The cost of the game in the GB is GBP 10, but overall, it is a really good game Expand
  28. Mar 24, 2012
    I have no words for this game. It's an experience like no other. Egbert once said that it is impossible for video games to be "art." I disagreed with him then, but this is further proof he is mistaken.
  29. May 18, 2013
    Journey is a game that is not for everyone. There's no words, no explosions, no gunfire, just great music and a beautiful atmosphere. From the music to the graphics to the controls to the physics, this game is great! Very relaxing and fluid to play through. The game is not very long as you can get through it in a couple of hours, but it's well worth your time and money. I like the wayJourney is a game that is not for everyone. There's no words, no explosions, no gunfire, just great music and a beautiful atmosphere. From the music to the graphics to the controls to the physics, this game is great! Very relaxing and fluid to play through. The game is not very long as you can get through it in a couple of hours, but it's well worth your time and money. I like the way they did the online/multiplayer feature where you meet random people on your journey and can travel together with them. You can't talk to each other which makes the emotion of it better to me. I highly recommend this great game! Expand
  30. Jul 1, 2012
    Journey is one of the few games that transcend the medium and becomes something more. In the first few moments of the game I was waiting for the game to really hit me. I was waiting for it to justify all the great reviews. It happened during multiplayer. With no way of chatting I with another gamer you can see more clearly their character. Will they leave you or stay? Will they helpJourney is one of the few games that transcend the medium and becomes something more. In the first few moments of the game I was waiting for the game to really hit me. I was waiting for it to justify all the great reviews. It happened during multiplayer. With no way of chatting I with another gamer you can see more clearly their character. Will they leave you or stay? Will they help you? The symbolism is off the charts. I am on a personal journey through life and so is this other individual. Our paths cross. Maybe, without knowing anything about each other, we can help each other? The journey can be a lonely one, but sometimes all it takes one person....Journey moved me. It moved me in a way that few movies ever have. It may not appeal to the 12 year old Call of Duty junkies (I love CoD btw), but to those of us who have experienced a few things Journey will resonate deeply. A 10 is a huge score, and I was tempted to knock it down to a 9 because the game is so short, but Journey is so much more than a game. Because this dev decided to reach for something more, something greater, and they NAILED IT, I give it a 10. Expand
  31. Mar 13, 2012
    A natural progression from flow thru to flower and now journey. That Game Company once again comes up shining with yet another new experience. If you could convey the feeling you get while playing journey to the human race the world would be a more peaceful place. Journey manages to create/convey an almost spiritual feeling of peace/ wonderment/ relaxation and beauty all rolled into oneA natural progression from flow thru to flower and now journey. That Game Company once again comes up shining with yet another new experience. If you could convey the feeling you get while playing journey to the human race the world would be a more peaceful place. Journey manages to create/convey an almost spiritual feeling of peace/ wonderment/ relaxation and beauty all rolled into one for the experience that is journey. That game company do this by using some clever minimalistic design concepts. Of minimal interaction and communication with other players while at the same time the game promotes and plays better if you journey together searching and investigating or later as a spirit guide for the newer players helping them achieve the final hidden gems. Although short at just over 3-hours on my first playthru. Journey requires multiple playthrus to see everything and for it to reveal its secrets. So you can at least triple the game-time. another different idea is you never know how many people you actually met or interacted with until completion of the run thru it could be 1 player or more usual multiple players. A must play if you want to play a totally new concept game instead of the stale shooter genre. Collapse

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]