8.8

1. Mar 15, 2012
    Oh my god I cannot believe some of you people are giving the game a low score because it's short. Are you honestly serious? Games do not need to be long to be a good experience. It was worth every penny.
  2. Mar 15, 2012
    If you have enjoyed FLOW and FLOWER this game will truly please and surprise you. It is unadulterated joy. If you want to settle the endless debate whether games are art than this game should convince anyone that disagree withe the above statement that games can be art.
    Journey is an experience. It is very difficult to say anything about it without spoiling the experience. However one thing can be said: if you manage to connect to the experience you will feel emotional by the time the end credit will appear on the screen. Your would want to meet the people that shared the Journey with you, for some of them you will be a mentor and for some others you will be a mentee. The only downside to this game is that the experience will only last an average of 2 hours. I know, it is a short time for a game that cost a tenner but please remember that the journey does not have to end and ca be restarted again and again. Jenova Chen is a visionary developer and if Sony does not renew the contract for 3 more games I will personally go to Santa Monica to make them see sense.
  3. Mar 15, 2012
    ThatGameCompany wanted to delivery something supremely special, and they succeeded in doing that with Journey. The emotional depth of this game goes far beyond that of other contemporary titles. That being said, it is a short game, clocking in somewhere between one and a half to two hours. But packed into this short amount of time lies an experience no one should pass up. MechanicallyThatGameCompany wanted to delivery something supremely special, and they succeeded in doing that with Journey. The emotional depth of this game goes far beyond that of other contemporary titles. That being said, it is a short game, clocking in somewhere between one and a half to two hours. But packed into this short amount of time lies an experience no one should pass up. Mechanically speaking the game is flawless. For your abilities, you will be honing the ones you do have, and improving them. The moments when you are seamlesslty flying through the air, or riding a sand dune are the parts of the game that are brilliantly executed. It feels so easy, and gives way for the player to truly enjoy themselves. In terms of the game design, beautiful set pieces and changing environments explain the games story without any words needed. There is no dialogue in this game, but it works into the philosophy of ThatGameCompany's idea of Game design and works well with the game. There was no point during journey I was expecting dialogue, and I think it would have taken away from the sense of mystery that shrouds the game, and the journey you are embarking on. You start off not knowing what is going on, but by the end, you will definitely have some ideas. The music and tones used for the game are perfect as well. While you cannot speak, you have the ability to "call out", so to speak, and have another player roaming the world see your call from a distance. Another thing about this game is, there are no lobbies, or being able to play with any friend you want. You will simply be a lonely wanderer, until you see another in the distance, calling to you. You can either journey together, or alone. You will meet many people throughout different levels, and at the end you can know the names of those you've played with, but thats the extent of it. You cannot play the game with whoever you choose, the game does not allow it. INstead, a true bond is formed between the two partners, the two strangers. Overall, journey isn't a game for those who don't want a transcendental experience, because thats what this is. Journey isn't for those who want something less, it is for those who want something more. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2012
    Journey is a rare breed, a game that's a refreshing breath of originality and that's all about the experience, rather than score-chasing. Journey tells a strong story which I wont spoil, but I was not expecting it to grab me the way it did. And it does so using only visuals and music. And the musical score of this game is among the best of the best. It envelopes the player in the settingJourney is a rare breed, a game that's a refreshing breath of originality and that's all about the experience, rather than score-chasing. Journey tells a strong story which I wont spoil, but I was not expecting it to grab me the way it did. And it does so using only visuals and music. And the musical score of this game is among the best of the best. It envelopes the player in the setting and sets the mood perfectly. The audio in Journey really is as important as the visuals, which are fantastic. This game has some of the best use of colour you can find in videogames and the animations are fluid. All adding up to an emotional connection with the player. The game occasionally has minor framedrops, but they are and few and far inbetween. The people saying this game is too short are wrong. Yes, I'm sure you can finish it in an hour, if you just rush through it instead of taking your time, and in the process going against everything this game is about; The journey, not the endpoint, the clue lies in the name. I personally took my time with the game during my first playthrough, I tried to explore everyting, collect everything and interacted with and helped other players. Doing so took me over two hours (according to Raptr), I belive I was close to three. These other caped random travellers remain anonymous until the end of the game, making for a great online experience where you either cooperate or ignore other players. No annoying shouting kids with microphones to ruin your experience here! The only form of communication you have is your character making a sound with a "speechbubble" in an alien language. It's simple and weird at first, but it works perfectly. The game is designed to be played in one sitting, like a film (movie), which is why it's not the longest game ever, but there's also no needless filler and there's nothing stopping you from replaying it. Expand
  5. Mar 15, 2012
    I literally just created a Metacritic account, whilst listening to the soundtrack of this game, just so I could review it.. Don't listen to some of the poor reviews.. They are all valid points, yes the game is short, yes the game is simplistic.. But the simple nature of the game is what makes it so amazing.. The online goes hand and hand with this.. The music, the visuals.. There areI literally just created a Metacritic account, whilst listening to the soundtrack of this game, just so I could review it.. Don't listen to some of the poor reviews.. They are all valid points, yes the game is short, yes the game is simplistic.. But the simple nature of the game is what makes it so amazing.. The online goes hand and hand with this.. The music, the visuals.. There are points in this game that will make your jaw drop.. Make you want to cry.. And even make you feel a bond.. All you have to do is go into the game with an open mind.. You're going on a Journey, make the best of it. Expand
  6. Mar 15, 2012
    Like all other thatcompanygame productions Journey is something else. Thou short, the game makes it up with a sublime sound-score and superb visuals. Its surprising how attached you can feel to random travelers you meet along the way. In terms of quantity the game is just right, its meant to be played repeatedly. Its one of those cases of quality over quantity. I had never written a reviewLike all other thatcompanygame productions Journey is something else. Thou short, the game makes it up with a sublime sound-score and superb visuals. Its surprising how attached you can feel to random travelers you meet along the way. In terms of quantity the game is just right, its meant to be played repeatedly. Its one of those cases of quality over quantity. I had never written a review or bothered signing up for metacritic, I felt compelled to honor the game. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    First off let me say that if you go into this with any kind of expectation you're doing it wrong. Don't buy this game thinking you'll be doing any extreme platforming or monster hunting. That aside, this game is a work of art. I went into this with my suspicions but take my word for it, this game is breathtaking. I have never experienced anything that exudes so much raw emotion. Without aFirst off let me say that if you go into this with any kind of expectation you're doing it wrong. Don't buy this game thinking you'll be doing any extreme platforming or monster hunting. That aside, this game is a work of art. I went into this with my suspicions but take my word for it, this game is breathtaking. I have never experienced anything that exudes so much raw emotion. Without a single spoken word you can take this journey both alone and from time to time with other people who happen to be playing and you can almost feel a connection with the other person. In a gaming society of nerdrage and hatred that crops up pretty much anywhere there's multiplayer, Journey manages to make you feel good inside as you explore the gorgeous scenery with someone whom you can't speak to or even know their name. The only flaw is its length and even that isn't as bad as it seems because it allows you to take an entire journey in one sitting. I can not recommend this game more. Expand
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    I haven't really been playing much games lately because of lack of time so it was nice to finish a game in one sitting. I loved it. Beautiful game I think it its definitely worth the 15 bucks. If you can you should definitely check it out.
  9. Mar 16, 2012
    I was a fan of thatgamecompany's previous efforts such as flow and flower, But journey is definitely my favourite of their games and one of the best psn games ever made. Its more 'gamey' than flow and flower so if you were put off by their simplistic control this could change your mind around. Describing journey is difficult as its basically a work of art, You play an undescribed cloakedI was a fan of thatgamecompany's previous efforts such as flow and flower, But journey is definitely my favourite of their games and one of the best psn games ever made. Its more 'gamey' than flow and flower so if you were put off by their simplistic control this could change your mind around. Describing journey is difficult as its basically a work of art, You play an undescribed cloaked wanderer who wakes up upon the desert and see a light from the mountain and through the games 3 hour length you work closer and closer to your destination with a quick sing with the circle button to interact with other players and the X button to jump/fly. Its a game I highly recommend to my highest degree and for anyone who says that video games can't be art, this game will certainly change your mind. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2012
    OMG my first review on metacritic! I must work for the company or be part of some conspiracy to sell the game! Before my review I'd also like to point out every positive review has one downvote, so someone is just going through and downvoting all of the positive reviews. Talk about trolling.

Now onto my review. Having played thatgamecompany's other titles on PS3, fl0w and flower, I immediately knew what to expect coming into Journey. The games they create are not meant to be played like your typical game. You are not told to do anything, rather you are left to figure things out entirely on your own, this gives the player a much greater sense of immersion imo. All the poor reviews of this title were written by people that I can tell entered this game with a narrow mind and expect certain things out of a game or else it is completely dismissed (ie. HUD, dialogue, objectives, points, etc..). Journey does away with all these typical gaming conventions and I can imagine it to be jarring to some, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, this just isn't your kind of game. For those of you that can completely lose yourself in a games world though you are in for a treat :)
  11. Mar 16, 2012
    Journey is one of the best looking games on PS3 both technically and artistically. Music is amazing. And multiplayer suites it very well. Yes, it's about two hours long, but this game, I think, was meant to be finished in one sitting. And if you liked previous titles from thatgamecompany, you will find plenty of re-playability in Journey. Plus, there are collectibles, few interestingJourney is one of the best looking games on PS3 both technically and artistically. Music is amazing. And multiplayer suites it very well. Yes, it's about two hours long, but this game, I think, was meant to be finished in one sitting. And if you liked previous titles from thatgamecompany, you will find plenty of re-playability in Journey. Plus, there are collectibles, few interesting secrets and a bunch of trophies. Journey offers a unique experience for a fair price of $15 and it's worth it. BEYOND! Expand
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    This is just an amazing game. Something new, beautiful, emotional and creative. The co-op is such an amazing idea, and it suits the game perfectly. ThatGameCompany have found gold. If you have a PS3, go to the PS Store to buy Journey. If you don't have a PS3, buy one!
  13. Mar 16, 2012
    I have never liked a psn game so much. This game may be short but it is beyond awesome. The visuals are breathe taking. Bottom line this game is rocks.
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    I have never played a game more emotionally satisfying. Journey sets out to achieve something beautiful, memorable and accessible and it does it. Somehow it pulls everything off perfectly. I have thought and thought about it and there is nothing at all wrong with this game. Nothing it tries to do fails. Multiplayer is seamless and beautiful, there is literally no lag or glitches and theI have never played a game more emotionally satisfying. Journey sets out to achieve something beautiful, memorable and accessible and it does it. Somehow it pulls everything off perfectly. I have thought and thought about it and there is nothing at all wrong with this game. Nothing it tries to do fails. Multiplayer is seamless and beautiful, there is literally no lag or glitches and the download space is tiny. Gameplay is smooth, music and visuals are unmatched. No game is like this, so it sets itself apart. There is nothing else left to say. Go, play and feel the amazement for yourself. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2012
    Atmosphere, immersion, and enchanting music. You will get goosebumps the whole way through, and see the sparkling desert in your dreams. This game is a work of art, well worth an evening and then some.
  16. Mar 17, 2012
    This is what games should be. A book describes, a film shows and a game lets you experience. Now we know for sure that games can be art. Truly wondrous.
  17. Mar 17, 2012
    This is more than a game, with games like this you have to be proud to be a gamer, remember your first kiss, how long that was? nonetheless you will remember it forever.
  18. Mar 17, 2012
    Amazing game, art - whatever oyu call it. It's also one of the best games out there on PSN. I don't care if it's short, the most important thing it delivers on all aspects - graphics, soundtrack and the general climate of the the whole story. A must buy if you own a PS3 - if you don't, buy one or play this at friends house. Thank you, thatgamecompany.
  19. Mar 17, 2012
    For those of us who enjoy rich experiences filled with color, beauty, sound, emotion, and companionship...then you my friend can join in on the uplifting experience known a Journey. Connecting you through musical notes in a vast unforgiving world with a random stranger is not only powerful and compelling...but a must. Do. NOT. Play. This. Game. Alone. The magic is finding a traveler toFor those of us who enjoy rich experiences filled with color, beauty, sound, emotion, and companionship...then you my friend can join in on the uplifting experience known a Journey. Connecting you through musical notes in a vast unforgiving world with a random stranger is not only powerful and compelling...but a must. Do. NOT. Play. This. Game. Alone. The magic is finding a traveler to journey with. Short or not, this you can't miss... Expand
  20. Mar 18, 2012
    i was so moved by this game, i signed up to metacritic just to give this a 10. my favourite gaming experience since demon's souls, and easily the most a video game has affected my emotions.
  21. Mar 18, 2012
    I'm new here. While some people are claiming all the reviews are being written by people who worked on the game, I can safely say that most aren't. For some people, this game will fall short of expectations... not because it doesn't achieve something great, but because it doesn't follow the usual conventions of the gaming industry.

Journey is very different from most games. In spite of

Journey is very different from most games. In spite of its mechanics and playstyle being far more akin to conventional games, in many ways, it's less of a typical game than thatgamecompany's previous titles, flOw and Flower.

The basic premise is simple - you're given an objective to reach, and little else. The controls are simple - you can walk, jump, and sing.

If that was all there was to the experience, that would be disappointing. If you're disappointed, you missed the point. The game is about emotion, connecting with a stranger, and experiencing beauty.

The user "aspentitan" has written a "5/10 Buyer Beware" review. I VERY STRONGLY recommend reading it. The game is short, but it's BEAUTIFUL. And it's not just beautiful in the sense of art style, or graphics (although those are beautiful too). It draws on the emotions of the player in ways that very few games do.

I'm rating the game 10/10. That doesn't mean 100% and doesn't mean the game is perfect. It DOES mean, however, that it's something EVERYONE should experience.

If you play the game online, and are disappointed, try again without being online. For some people, the solitary experience is more powerful. If you tried it offline first, and it didn't live up to your hopes, sign in and try again. For many, the connection with another Journeyer makes the experience worthwhile.

There's a reason I keep using the word "experience" in this review - it's because "play" doesn't fit. I've already said this game isn't your usual game. It's barely a game at all, and treating it as nothing more than a game isn't going to do it justice.
  22. Mar 18, 2012
    In 25 years of gaming I never had a gaming experience like this.

In 25 years of gaming I never had a gaming experience like this.

Playing the last two Chapters with a stranger was just incredible. Like many others here said before, you start caring for each other in a way you never experienced before. We tried to stay as close to each other as possible to keep each other warm, we cared for each other if one of us got struck by an enemy and we always waited for the other to catch up.

There was a moment near the end where the heart warming music got to an emotional peak and I suddenly started crying tears of joy...It was just so incredibly intense.

So if you own a PS3, buy this game, make yourself comfortable, turn up the volume and turn down the light. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.
  23. Mar 18, 2012
    Journey is a wonderful experience. Nothing I write can justify the kind of feeling I have after finishing it. Somehow, someway the game affected me in more ways that I could imagine. This game makes me want to run to my loved ones and tell them how precious they are to me and thank them for sharing their life journeys with me
  24. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is pretty amazing. beautiful visuals and beautiful sound. Approximately two hours was a very much fantastic experience.
    After complete the game had to wipe tears. Beautiful. It's beautiful.
  25. Mar 19, 2012
    An amazing game, definitely deserves the praise that it has gotten and will continue to get. Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews. This game is worth every cent of the price of admission. I will agree that the game may be "short" by industry standards, but It felt just right for the content. Add to that the fact that the replay value for this game is very high (several of theAn amazing game, definitely deserves the praise that it has gotten and will continue to get. Don't be put off by some of the negative reviews. This game is worth every cent of the price of admission. I will agree that the game may be "short" by industry standards, but It felt just right for the content. Add to that the fact that the replay value for this game is very high (several of the trophies actually encourage you to play several times) and you can easily put 20 hours into this game. Expand
  26. Mar 19, 2012
    Can somebody please get these intellect-lacking users giving 0s and 1s off this site?!

Anyways, this is now officially the greatest downloadable title of ALL TIME.
    No game will touch you on the high subliminal, emotional, and intellectual level that Journey does.
    When you get the game, you'll realize how high the production values are, and you'll see why 15 dollars may even be too low.
  27. Mar 20, 2012
    This game captures more joy and emotion in 2 hours than most games do in 20.
    It is artistically amazing in every single aspect of the word, and the subtle interactions with other players you meet can create a very emotional bond.
  28. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is so beautiful, it may be short but at the end you feel like you lived an entire life - with its small triumphs, surprises and pains. I wasn't travelling in a typical "gameworld", it felt real - and at the same time beautiful dreamy (is that an English word - I am Dutch). I was really moved at the end. Pure art.
  29. Mar 20, 2012
    This is truly one of the most beautiful game I have ever played, there was so much emotion without any dialogue making the experience that much more pure. This game is very spiritual in the way it will make you feel by playing. Some may argue about the length of the game, while I agree the game is very short for 15 dollars, it is an experience that you can enjoy over and over. One buyingThis is truly one of the most beautiful game I have ever played, there was so much emotion without any dialogue making the experience that much more pure. This game is very spiritual in the way it will make you feel by playing. Some may argue about the length of the game, while I agree the game is very short for 15 dollars, it is an experience that you can enjoy over and over. One buying this game shouldn't considering it just purchasing a game, its a piece of art. The way i look at it is we generally will easily pay $10 + to see a movie at the theatre and with that comes a lot of advertisements and you only get that experience once. For the price of this game you can get an experience that would rival any movie, there are no advertisements what so ever and you can enjoy it over and over. If all you like to do in games is kill and blow things up; then pass on this game, if however you play games for the deep experience and interactive storytelling and care more than just your kill count this game is a must buy. It is an experience like no other and truly shows the potential games can be. I feel just as comfortable playing this game by myself or my friends as well as when i'm with my priest. A piece of art that everyone can truly enjoy. Expand
  30. Apr 22, 2012
    Journey is a one-of-a-kind game, as you venture through with strangers, and no communicating whatsoever, except the chirping you have. So far, this is my top 2012 game pick.
  31. Mar 23, 2012
    I knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is trulyI knew what I went into buying this game, 2 hours of gameplay and that's it, but what I didn't knew was those were the 2 hours best spent with my PS3 ever. You play it and realize this is what gaming are truly capable of, there is nothing but movement, no dialog, and still the game reach inside you make you feel like no game has ever done before. This is fact!. And multiplayer is truly beautiful. You are not capable of communicating in any way, Thatgamecompany does not force you to cooperate, but you do it because otherwise you'll be all alone. When I played it I befriended another player, and we helped each other, when I got kick back by a flying creature, my new unknown friend ran back to me and helped me up. A truly touching moment in my gaming carrier. Sadly we got lost to each other, like losing a someone you loved and I was all alone.... Truly amazing :) Expand
  32. Mar 24, 2012
    The art style, music and gameplay are excellent, the atmosphere that journey evokes is so detailed and varied as to remain memorable for a far greater time than many longer games of this generation. Much like the player character, journey sets out with one goal in mind and performs excellently. This is what interactive storytelling should be, a testament to what can be achieved withoutThe art style, music and gameplay are excellent, the atmosphere that journey evokes is so detailed and varied as to remain memorable for a far greater time than many longer games of this generation. Much like the player character, journey sets out with one goal in mind and performs excellently. This is what interactive storytelling should be, a testament to what can be achieved without words or writing. Expand
  33. Mar 24, 2012
    The most amazing experience I have had gaming in a long while. Basically -- the best way to go into this game is knowing nothing about it whatsoever, and if you have a ps3, you must buy it.
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    Never have I played a game that could reach a spiritual level like this game did. The game borrowed inspiration from Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in it's ambiance and large scale--probably even surpassing the mighty giant. Journey was an amazing experience, and should be played through by anyone who's ever asked themselves about their take on the meaning of life and death and their ownNever have I played a game that could reach a spiritual level like this game did. The game borrowed inspiration from Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in it's ambiance and large scale--probably even surpassing the mighty giant. Journey was an amazing experience, and should be played through by anyone who's ever asked themselves about their take on the meaning of life and death and their own existence. The game is very much a parable to life, told in a very abstract way--accompanied with: great music, great visual style, great epic scope, amazing sand and snow details coupled with gusting wind climates that only elevate the experience of your hardships trudging up the steep slope of a mountain--good job all around from That Game Company. While it can be debated whether this is a real game, there is no doubt that the player will experience an emotional elation beyond any game they've played when they reach the end of their Journey. Expand
  35. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a truly unique experience, the music is amazing and the game in general looks stunning. The only thing that is bad about this game is the length which is very short, I finished this game in about 2 hours. This is a must have game for Playstation owners.
  36. Mar 25, 2012
    I was blown away by this game. Didn't realize that it was technically a multiplayer game and that I was not alone on my quest. Wow, beautiful and stunning. Simple yet challenging gameplay too.
  37. Mar 26, 2012
    Journey is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played. Highly recommended for it's simplistic yet creative art style. They manage to tell the history of an entire people without a single word.
  38. Mar 28, 2012
    Ever since the beautiful work of art, Flower, I have been hooked on thatgamecompany's wonderful work. I was at first skeptical and unsure if Journey would even compare to it't predecessor. But, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Not only did Journey take me beyond what Flower accomplished, it took me well beyond anything that I have expected. I found myself in awe at how powerful JourneyEver since the beautiful work of art, Flower, I have been hooked on thatgamecompany's wonderful work. I was at first skeptical and unsure if Journey would even compare to it't predecessor. But, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Not only did Journey take me beyond what Flower accomplished, it took me well beyond anything that I have expected. I found myself in awe at how powerful Journey is. If you own a PS3, you must buy this, it is by far the best game that I have played to date. Expand
  39. Mar 29, 2012
    I think Journey is an incredible game. It truly engages the player from start to finish and leaves you breathless with satisfaction and understanding. Journey represents the direction we are moving when it comes to games as artistic expression, and I could not be more happy. If you have not, buy this game now. It is definitely worth your time and money.
  40. Mar 30, 2012
    I, for one, am very happy there still are developers willing to take risks and create something unique, instead than a clone of whatever is selling best at the moment, and Journey is exactly this: unique.
    Journey (like the title implies) it's not really a game but more of an experience and a very pleasant one.
    If you start playing it expecting to run around, shoot things or do whatever you usually do in other games, you'll be very, very disappointed.
    On the contrary, if you free your mind, play it with the right mindset, you'll be rewarded with an experience very few games can provide nowadays.
    Everything, within this game, is beautifully crafted: the art, the metaphor which is the story, the music, the pace. Yes, it is short (a couple of hours, if you wander a bit) but trust me: you'll want to play it again, just to get absorbed in its beatiful world.
  41. Mar 30, 2012
    We were walking through the snow, fighting the wind. We had spent the whole chapter staying as close together as possible to keep ourselves from freezing, and we were constantly signaling to encourage one another. I saw it coming and got under the nearest cover and frantically signalled for my partner to join me, but it was too late. He had been spotted and we were both thrown back. WeWe were walking through the snow, fighting the wind. We had spent the whole chapter staying as close together as possible to keep ourselves from freezing, and we were constantly signaling to encourage one another. I saw it coming and got under the nearest cover and frantically signalled for my partner to join me, but it was too late. He had been spotted and we were both thrown back. We landed near each other, and both gave a short signal. I knew mine was out of frustration, but I can only assume that my partner was apologizing. We carried on, and soon the creature had circled back. We both sat under cover, but my partner was too exposed and we were attacked once more. This time we were thrown in separate directions. When I got up, I saw the creature circling my partner and in that moment I knew I had to leave him. As I ran for the safety of the gate ahead, I actually felt sadness and shame for abandoning a complete stranger that had, over the course of a few minutes, become my companion. When I reached the gate, I lingered and looked into the thick snow to see if my partner could make it through. A few seconds later I saw him emerging from the white and was overcome with joy. I let out a large signal as he approached, and when he reached me he did the same. I knew mine was of excitement, but I can only assume his was out of frustration for being left. As we both ran ahead, though, we continued with our signals of encouragement, and in that moment I knew he had forgiven me. That is what Journey is to me. It's experiencing fear, sadness, uncertainty, joy, wonder, and even grief in a very short time, and sharing this experience with a completely anonymous stranger. The game's ability to convey these different emotions without a single word, combined with its simply beautiful aesthetics makes this game a true work of art. Expand
  42. Apr 1, 2012
    Even though it is a really short game, the experience was incredibly amazing. The graphics are stunning, with impressive vistas and the most realistic sand i've ever seen in a video game. The game is really simple, and that it's why it is such a joy to play. The multiplayer element is brilliant and functions perfectly, not to mention the incredible soundtrack, that fits perfectly withEven though it is a really short game, the experience was incredibly amazing. The graphics are stunning, with impressive vistas and the most realistic sand i've ever seen in a video game. The game is really simple, and that it's why it is such a joy to play. The multiplayer element is brilliant and functions perfectly, not to mention the incredible soundtrack, that fits perfectly with every section of the game. This game is so good that after i finished it I had to keep myself from starting another playthrough simply because it was already 03am. If it had been in the middle of the afternoon, I would have played two playthroughs back to back. Yeah, this is that good. Game of the year for me. Expand
  43. Apr 10, 2012
    I made an account here just to review this game. I have never been so emotionally invested in any game I've ever played, there isn't any way I can describe it. Honestly if you own a PS3 then this game is a must have. Just go buy it now.
  44. Apr 14, 2012
    If there is something that transcends the definition of game that something is Journey.
    Call the Journey game is something wrong simply because he surpasses himself.
    Getting something so incredible for a game downloaded itself deserves 10, but I would not be disappointed if this game was physical, thus give you a nice round 10.
  45. Apr 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Instead of explaining why the game is good like many others have already done, I am actually going to talk about one of my gaming experience with Journey. I believe the real success of this game is based upon YOUR interaction with it, instead of relying so heavily on the game telling you what to do. The game is linear in a way, but with the experience of your Journey being different each time, the replayability of this game is staggering.

I knew that this game was beautiful the moment I took my first step. The sand is so detailed, and every step you make causes a little "splash"; like water. After walking up a large dune and experiencing an incredible piece of cinematography, I slid down the other side, shamefully letting out a little "weeeeeee!" noise going down. I then noticed a twinkle in the distance, a little beacon that screamed "Come Here!" at me. So I followed it, and found out the twinkling ball of light is, in essence, a power-up, giving you a piece of scarf, which allows you to jump (and float). I then noticed a little bit of rubble in the distance, although it was a bit of a detour to where I needed to go,.But, I wanted to explore it and see what was there. I did, and found a strange wall that resonated with my cloth. I then used my "Voice" and let out a big chime, which made strange hieroglyphs on the wall. This was the story of the game, and, in the first 5 minutes of Journey I learnt all that is needed to get me to the end; shining symbols give you more cloth and bigger jumps, using your chiming voice will resonate with various objects, and walking off the beaten path will result in little bonuses that improve the story. From there I was away.

It didn't take long before I was blessed with a companion. A little figure in the distance, almost skipping along the sand. I let out a huge chime to tell them I was here, and it worked. They stopped and turned around, and waited for me to join them. A little chirp of our voices was made to greet each other, and we were away. I Could feel that they were playing it for the first time, and they probably knew I was the same, as we were generally very cagey when it came to moving forward, especially in the caves. Unfortunately, my companion was attacked, I ran back to help them, and steered them into a little hovel that was safe. Once they felt safe enough to continue, we did so. I could feel that they were a little shaken up by the whole event as they stayed fairly close to me and followed my trail. In the end my companion and I made a decent team, we would keep relatively near each other to avoid separation and pace our chimes together so that we could constantly fly.

All went well, that is until the mountain climb. The freezing temperature causes your material to become stiff, and the harshness of the wind drains your energy, which causes your movement to become slow and stifled. We stood close together, the warmth of each others body makes a little breathing room, and allows for a little bit of fluidity in your cloth. But, we were again attacked by those flying behemoths, except this time, I was the victim. I was knocked on the floor unconscious and the distance between us was great. But then they left. They didn't return for me, or even wait for my return. I was shocked, almost heartbroken with what just happened. I didn't move, I just stayed on the floor. As the blizzard raged, and started to envelope me in snow, Another companion walked by. I let a very weak chime out of my lifeless body, and they noticed. They walked up and touched me. The warmth gave me energy; enough for me to stand, and I did. We then walked the rest of the journey together, keeping very close. And sure enough we reached the "end" together.

After the credits, and finding out who it was who saved me, I messaged them, almost as a way of saying thank you. They replied back; in Japanese. Wow. Even though I wasn't playing the game anymore, the whole idea of this good Samaritan, a stranger from another land who, if we talked in real life would never be able to understand each other, was responsible for saving me was just an incredible feeling.

That is what Journey is all about.
  46. Apr 24, 2012
    I can't say that everyone will love this game but I think everyone should at least give it a chance. Not everyone is into conceptual games, and I can respect that.. but I think as far as conceptual games go, this game is just about as good as it gets. It's short, so your not investing a huge amount of time into it and you also enjoy every second of it. (In lots of other games, you findI can't say that everyone will love this game but I think everyone should at least give it a chance. Not everyone is into conceptual games, and I can respect that.. but I think as far as conceptual games go, this game is just about as good as it gets. It's short, so your not investing a huge amount of time into it and you also enjoy every second of it. (In lots of other games, you find them going to long and you just playing so you can get to the end, you don't find that in this game). Its beautiful both visually and audibly and is just fun and enjoyable to play though. If you've ever considered trying a conceptual "experience" game.. I would definitely suggest this is a great choice! 10/10 Expand
  47. Apr 27, 2012
    Resumindo minha experiência neste jogo... de tão relaxante me encontrei dormindo no meio da jornada e quando despertei estava sentado, não sei ao certo na espera de algo ou de alguem, apenas adormeci e despertei, como poderia ter feito até o final... porem após o despertar veio a necessidade de termina-lo pois este breveResumindo minha experiência neste jogo... de tão relaxante me encontrei dormindo no meio da jornada e quando despertei estava sentado, não sei ao certo na espera de algo ou de alguem, apenas adormeci e despertei, como poderia ter feito até o final... porem após o despertar veio a necessidade de termina-lo pois este breve intervalo me serviu apenas ter a certeza que precisava termina-lo e terminei... não sei ao certo se jogarei de novo pois tambem não sei se minha jornada realmente chegou ao fim! To summarize my experience in this game ... so relaxing I found asleep in the middle of the day and when I awoke was sitting, I'm not sure waiting for something or someone, justfell asleep and awoke, as he could have until the end ... however after awakening came the need to finish it for this brief period I served only to make sure that needed to finish itand ended ... I'm not sure if it'll play again also does not really know if my journey is over!

*sorry! translation by google
  48. May 2, 2012
    Journey is a short game.But after beating the game , I can feel something different about the game.
    Special multiplayer experience make me feel like i am a wanderer , running and walking just to reach my destination.Graphic is one of the best and the price is cheap. Best downloable game ever !!!
  49. Jun 6, 2012
    I look at all the big franchises of gaming that have millions dropped on their development, many years in the making , and hyped to no end. And then I look at Journey, which isn't a big budget game nor is it a pretentious and small indie game. It's a short game, yet if it was longer then two hours it probably wouldn't have exactly the same impact. Rarely there are games like Journey, ifI look at all the big franchises of gaming that have millions dropped on their development, many years in the making , and hyped to no end. And then I look at Journey, which isn't a big budget game nor is it a pretentious and small indie game. It's a short game, yet if it was longer then two hours it probably wouldn't have exactly the same impact. Rarely there are games like Journey, if at all, and for more then one reason. Real beauty and art in videogames is something rather rare. There are "those" games that people always mention when there's talk of videogame art, for example: Okami, shadow of the colossus/ico, el shaddai and such. Journey, the short non-big budget game somehow manages to surpass almost all of these popular and familiar games. It's everything; the music, the beautiful landscapes and animations, the unbelivable atmosphere, the fluid unique gameplay, and the charm, simplicity and emotion that the game carries out.All to deliever one of the most important games of this generation. Now, for some people this might be a boring, short and rather weird game. That's understandable, because some people simply like their games with more explotions and action. But even for the cynic and childish of gamers this game can appeal greatly, it all depands if you let it to absorb you and invoke your feelings. Try it, you might end up loving it more then I do :) Expand
  50. May 7, 2012
    Journey was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one gameJourney was exactly what I expected. Beautiful, elegant, and only takes bout 2 hours to play. To me this game hit me in a far more personal way than many of the games out today ever could. If ya think 2 hrs is too short, walk away from this game. If no voice acting bothers you, or no real general guide on what to do bothers you, again walk away. But if you are looking for that one game that actually dares to be different, pick this game up on the PSN. It truly was a treat and I cannot wait for thatgamecompany to put out another game. Expand
  51. May 11, 2012
    Journey is an excellent game and deserves praise. Games can truly be art and this is an amazing example. Though short, it's all worth it. Instead of reading my opinion on it, go experience it yourself.
  52. May 12, 2012
    One of the most amazing and brilliant games to come out this generation. With such amazing atmosphere, through use of a music and visual brilliance and it's use of multilayer.
  53. May 13, 2012
    After years just reading Metacritic, I signed up specifically to review this game after playing it this morning. In 30 years of gaming, I have never encountered any game that drew me in as much as this one did. I woke up with a mild hangover and the morning to myself because the kids were out with the wife. Journey had been installed for several months without me ever getting round toAfter years just reading Metacritic, I signed up specifically to review this game after playing it this morning. In 30 years of gaming, I have never encountered any game that drew me in as much as this one did. I woke up with a mild hangover and the morning to myself because the kids were out with the wife. Journey had been installed for several months without me ever getting round to playing it, and I remember people posting that the best way to play it was in a single session. I didn't have high expectations, but I thought I'd finally give it a try. During parts of the game I had my mouth wide open staring at the screen I was so engrossed. It just draws you in that much. Although you can;t talk to the people you bump into, you end up caring about them and I can;t work out why. I found myself going back to make sure they were alright and knew which way to go, and I saw others doing the same to me. I'm not ashamed to say that I had a tear in my eye at one point and a massive smile on my face for the rest of the day. Despite the fact that I had been playing for only 2 hours, I genuinely felt like I had been on a journey - it really drew me in that much. I live just outside Edinburgh, and when drove out on an errand later, I had a massive grin on my face when I saw Arthur's Seat, the big volcanic plug in the centre of Edinburgh, looming up on the horizon. Just play it! Expand
  54. Jun 27, 2012
    You see Quarter to Three's review on the left? Quarter to Three are just used to being spoon-fed action, they have no nuance, they have no subtlety or pacing or sense for atmosphere. They're used to roaring guns, massive explosions, and awesome actions sequences. If you want to be spoon-fed action and have more patience for repetitiveness than tosspots, who only care about a competentYou see Quarter to Three's review on the left? Quarter to Three are just used to being spoon-fed action, they have no nuance, they have no subtlety or pacing or sense for atmosphere. They're used to roaring guns, massive explosions, and awesome actions sequences. If you want to be spoon-fed action and have more patience for repetitiveness than tosspots, who only care about a competent multiplayer and are only satisfied when they're wielding a gun the size of a car with an alien willy bouncing off your space helmet, I would strongly recommend you to any Triple-A shooter in the past 3 years. If you want a carefully crafted experience, with elegant yet simple gameplay and stunning visuals, and with some of the most meaningful multi-player I've ever played in a game, get Journey. You know that feeling, that feeling you get when you play certain games, the feeling that makes you realize why you started playing games in the first place, and the feeling that reminds you why you still play games? Journey is that feeling. Without one single word of spoken dialogue, it tells a compelling story, a compelling essence that many games fail to convey with pages of script. That's the most impressive aspect of Journey, go buy this game. Maybe in the first playthrough, you might not understand it, but play it again, and you will see. You have to drop pretenses of what a game is, because what is a game? Why do we play games? You have to get that feeling, and for that particular feeling, play Journey. Expand
  55. May 17, 2012
    This is more than a game, is a spiritual experience. You will find your self merged into world of sensations and will not release the controller untill you finished.
    Heat, cold, desperation, hope, fear, joy. This game will take you to the edge of crying
  56. May 21, 2012
    I remember as a 10 or 12 year old when sit down table top pong came to the bowling alley of my hometown. I was awed by the possibilities and have grown up participating in every step of gaming evolution. Breakout was in color, COLOR dammit! Intellivison was the thing to have at the time. The medium has come a long way in what I deem to be a short amount of time. I now am mostly a PCI remember as a 10 or 12 year old when sit down table top pong came to the bowling alley of my hometown. I was awed by the possibilities and have grown up participating in every step of gaming evolution. Breakout was in color, COLOR dammit! Intellivison was the thing to have at the time. The medium has come a long way in what I deem to be a short amount of time. I now am mostly a PC gamer, but own an Xbox and swipe my 15 y/o's PS3 on occasion for proprietary titles. I did this for Journey, a punctuated equillibrial step in the evolution of the art form. Nothing has been said in these reviews that comes close to describing the feeling you get when you've lost your co-journeyer and can't find them back, nor the amount of exuberance you get when you hear them shout their 'Pokemon' name from far across the terrain. Kudos to tgc for being on the front line of this new frontier, and here's hoping they can do it again without being repetitive. Worth the money, time, and emotion invested. Borrow or rent a PS3 if you have to, play it! Expand
  57. Dec 27, 2013
    Truly one the most memorable experiences I have had while playing a video game. Amazing experience that must be played to be appreciated. The imagery, the soundtrack, the story (or lack thereof) are all top notch. My only regret is that I didn't jump on this sooner.
  58. May 30, 2012
    A review cannot describe this game. Just Buy it. This is one of the most amazing things ever. A review just does not justify how great it is. Wow, simply amazing stuff
  59. Jun 5, 2012
    thatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longerthatgamecompany did a fantastic job with this game. It's one of the best I've played in my 10 plus years of gaming. The multiplayer/gameplay is fun and like nothing you've ever seen before, the music is perfect, and the graphics are awesome. True you can beat it in about 1.5-3 hours it is well worth the price, that's my only grip about it but it feels like if it would have been any longer then the game would've suffered. If you aren't into artistic types of games then look elsewhere, but if you do, you will not be disappointed. Very excited to see what thatgamecompany's next project will be. Kind of hoping it will be on all platforms so everybody can enjoy it. Expand
  60. Jun 7, 2012
    Thatgamecompany has made quite a reputation for themselves over the past few years. Their â
  61. Jun 21, 2012
    A perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developerA perfect 10 for Journey. This title is a testament to man's ability to create a piece of art to the highest of standards. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said, nor would I choose to - because Journey simply needs to be played to experience what it offers. It sets the audiovisual standard in the gaming industry, and is the absolute highest calibre of what a developer can hope to create.
    thatgamecompany have set a standard which I can only hope their future projects can come close to meeting, I am very thankful I was able to play through their vision and I wish them the best of luck in the future! Journey is my 'Game of the Year' for 2012.
  62. Mar 7, 2013
    I played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn'tI played Journey for the first time in early 2013. I've owned it since its launch back in March, 2012; but due to varying circumstances, I was never able to sit down and enjoy it. Since its release, I'd never heard anything but positive things about the game; but I was still a little nervous maybe it wouldn't hold up as well as I thought, maybe no-one would be playing and I wouldn't experience its unique online experience, maybe my expectations had been set too high.

I played through the game with two of my friends watching, and all of us were completely silent and enraptured by the end. Journey is beautiful, Journey is unique, and Journey is amazing. It is by far the best online experience I have ever had with a game, it has some of the most strikingly beautiful scenes I have ever seen in a game (they will stay with me for years), and I adore everything about what Thatgamecompany has done. Nothing I can say will be able to convince you to play it, but I urge you to listen to the overwhelmingly positive response to this game it is NOT overrated. An easy 10/10 (sure it's short, but who cares when the experience is this amazing?)
  63. Jun 10, 2013
    I've just purchased the European version of Journey Collector's Edition hence why I'm late coming to the party.

I used to be an avid gamer but now I'm in my mid-30s now I don't get as much time (growing up is rubbish!). So I now when I play a game I aim to find something special... Journey did not disappoint! I was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The aesthetic, score and

I was a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The aesthetic, score and emotional content is on a par with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. I actually feel sorry for people who don't "get it". My only guess is that those people are dead inside (or only tend to like FPSs or sports sims).

Many people have spoken how short the game is, but for me it was epic. I've only completed it once, but I intend to play in again... and again... and again.

I've not yet had a chance to play online but I will be doing as soon as I can find the time.
  64. Jun 27, 2012
    This is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do withThis is neither a game nor an experience: it is a work of art that comprises the two. Every moment; every sound effect; 'cello note and visual is meticulously crafted and placed. Controls handle in such a way that the user is forced to take in their surroundings - likely with awe. The atmosphere of this production is quite unlike that of any other, and replayability has less to do with challenges than it does revisiting a nook of Chen's extraordinary imagination. The player develops an affection not only for their environment, but also for anonymous company they encounter along the way, in spite of never communicating verbally with other players nor knowing who they are until the end of play. Every last aspect of this game has been given deep consideration, and the results show in abundance. Perfect ten - and we ought to be pleased we can download this to our consoles, as it belongs in a gallery moreover anywhere else! Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2012
    The best word to describe this game truly is "journey". There is no doubt that this journey feels more like an experience than a game. It's incredible that such a simplistic game can create such an emotional journey. Yes the game is short, but play it all in one sitting, lights off, headphones on, and you will become lost in Journey's beautiful, majestic landscape. Multiplayer with no realThe best word to describe this game truly is "journey". There is no doubt that this journey feels more like an experience than a game. It's incredible that such a simplistic game can create such an emotional journey. Yes the game is short, but play it all in one sitting, lights off, headphones on, and you will become lost in Journey's beautiful, majestic landscape. Multiplayer with no real way of communication creates such a unique and special bond between players as you both journey together. A video game has never felt more like art. It's hard not to stop and stare at the vast,stunning landscape. While the 2-3 hour game is quite linear everyone seems to have a different experience. If you are reading this with any interest in this game, buy it and experience the journey for yourself. Words cannot do this game justice. Who would have thought a $15, 3 hour game downloadable game would become one of my most memorable, emotional gaming experiences. Expand
  66. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyoneThis game is beyond beautiful. It's just as the title suggests, a journey. However, it's not just a journey through some desert landscapes, a cave, and a snowy landscape, it's so much more than that. If you read between the lines while playing this game you're brought on a much more intense journey than one could have really expected. The symbolism and intentions are all there for anyone who cares to look deep enough. If you don't, you only cheat yourself out of a great experience. If you do, then you get something great. Expand
  67. Aug 17, 2012
    anyone who rated journey below an 8 just doesnt get it. go back to your shooters i guess. i love shooters too, but this game is seriously awesome and there is no way in H3LL that people shouldnt like it.
  68. Nov 22, 2012
    I'm gonna keep it short and spoiler free. Journey is probably the closest you'll get to a perfect game. It's the best downloadable game on PSN, and in my opinion one of the best games ever made. I have nothing negative to say about it. It's short but It's so unique and amazing that it doesn't really matter. The music is excellent, The graphics is top notch and can be compared with God ofI'm gonna keep it short and spoiler free. Journey is probably the closest you'll get to a perfect game. It's the best downloadable game on PSN, and in my opinion one of the best games ever made. I have nothing negative to say about it. It's short but It's so unique and amazing that it doesn't really matter. The music is excellent, The graphics is top notch and can be compared with God of War III and Uncharted 3. The story really touched me emotionally and had me shed a tear, when I completed the game for the first time and the credits was over I got very surprising message, it had me just sitting there, thinking: "I have just been on an incredible Journey". Journey made my heart and soul full of love, it made me happy. One of the best gaming experiences out there.

If you are a person with patience, open and positive to a new gaming experience, then you should definitely get Journey. If you're in doubt you can always try the free demo available for download on PlayStation Store.
  69. Aug 23, 2012
    Journey isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't knowJourney isn't so much a game, as an experience. The fact that it explains NOTHING to you, and gives you no background, is part of the charm. You get into this world, and you don't know why, but you HAVE to get to that mountain. Graphically it blows everything out of the water. Not to mention the multiplayer element is pure genius. You can run into anyone in this world and you don't know who they are, but you have to work together. For all you know, you could be playing with a Nazi, but you feel an emotional connection to them that I haven't felt in a game since Morrowind. Then at the ending (not gonna spoil it) I actually cried. Journey deserves what it gets, and what it gets is a solid 10! Expand
  70. Dec 5, 2012
    Somewhere out there is a person who's name I will never know, who's face I will never see and who's voice I will never hear, but I will never forget them. For an hour and a half I fought against temptation, impatience, and personal reward to stay by their side, and they did the same for me without so much as a hesitation.

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild

To call Journey a game is a misnomer. It certainly has mild elements of what a "game" is, such as platforming and puzzle solving, but these things are never used in such a way that they hinder your progress or pull you away from your ultimate goal. Rather, they are there to pull you deeper into the world you find yourself mysteriously dropped into.

No words can properly describe the experience that is Journey, because it is a human experience unlike any other that I have seen in gaming. The soundtrack is grandiose without being intrusive, the environments are hauntingly beautiful, and every camera movement has been carefully planned out. The art direction is second to none with absolutely no inconsistencies, and the graphics themselves are absolutely flawless. Essentially, there isn't a single thing that I can reproach to Journey, because whatever flaws it might have are unnoticeable whereas it's long-term emotional and visual impact are unforgettable.

Due to it's ambient multiplayer element, there are times when your adventure feels soul-crushingly lonely, only to have it turned on it's head by encountering a mysterious traveler along your path. You can not communicate with this other person through any other means than singing short musical notes and by standing close to them to recharge your energy. This, surprisingly, creates the deepest, most emotional multiplayer one can experience as it does away with any fears of player aggression, rage-quits, racism, or any other elements you'd typically find in an online game. Not only does this limited communication eliminate those hindrances, but it also somehow enhances gameplay by making your singing the sole output for your emotion. There hasn't been a single playthrough where I have not understood what my traveling companion was trying to convey.

People often bemoan the fact that Journey is only an hour and a half long, and to them I have to ask if they truly understood what the game was doing. A movie of the same length can take up to six years to create and people gladly pay 12$ for a movie ticket, yet they feel 'cheated' by paying 15$ for the most emotional and stirring experience a game could ever bring you simply because "it's so short". Journey's key strength isn't in how it plays, but rather in how it feels and the impact left on your mind after it's all over.

Obviously, this is not a title for everyone. Many have written reviews about how they "just don't get it" or "fell for the hype", and it's regrettable to say that there are going to be people out there who simply won't feel the impact of this experience for whatever reason. To everyone else, people who want to experience art and emotion and music and a deep, primal connection to other people, go buy Journey now.
  71. Sep 4, 2012
    Este juego es una obra maestra, un juego sencillo y a la vez cautivante, una dirección artística de altísimo nivel, una OST perfectamente adecuado y bueno, no hay que olvidar su sencillo online, que hace el juego mas interesante... ya que siempre jugarás con alguien que no conoces y ni conocerás al menos que pases el juego..
  72. Sep 8, 2012
    I was rather skeptic when a friend told me about Journey, hearing that it is not really a game.
    But I decided to check it out and I wasn't disappointed. It is truly *different*. There really is no gameplay in the traditional sense. It is more about exploring, watching, listening - *feeling*. Journey offers a unique style in visuals, combined with gentle sounds and an absolutely breathtaking soundtrack.
    I really don't want to go into what happens since you need to see it for yourself. Let me just say that Journey was the first game in the last decade that managed to make me tear up a few times. Not due to sadness but happiness. This game is art and beauty.

Journey is not a game, it's an experience.
  73. Oct 11, 2012
    rilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the gamerilliant. I was not prepared for the level of amazing that this game brought over the course of 2 hours. This game is literally perfect. Having just recently played ThatGameCompany's past two games I wasn't sure what to expect. Fl0w had been good, Flower better, so Journey seemed to be in place to be the best. While I kept that in the back of my head I was also concerned about the game being overhyped and me setting expectations that it was not supposed to achieve. So I waited until a day where I had nothing better to do and gave it shot. BEST CHOICE EVER. Immediately I was drawn in by the visuals in the sand (it looks too real), but confused and not quite sure what my goal was. So I wandered, was rewarded, and looked to do it again. Every step of the way was an iteration on the previous levels mechanics and visual offerings, to a point where I thought I had reached the coolest part of the game. Well? Nope, I was wrong the next level was even better, and the one after that better than the previous. The mood fluctuated and avoided a continuously upbeat feeling, but still was able to deliver visually and from a gameplay side better than the previous level. The music is fantastic and very much tied to my characters actions, and I would highly recommend playing with the volume up a lot extra(I won't lie, [spoiler] I was scared **** the first time one of the rock creatures rose from the ground near me Expand
  74. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game. It's got great music, great and stunning graphics, the co-op feature is just amazing. I mean not knowing who you will run into, what gender or how old they are is fun. I met someone that stuck with me through chapter 1 all the way to chapter 6. They distracted the big monster in chapter 5. I noticed most people didn't like the ending, well I think it ended that way because the creator wanted the players to create their own ending to the game. I just love the wonderful music in this game and the game itself! If you have a PS3, or your friend even. Go out and try this game, you'll love it for sure especially if you love slow paced games where you can just stop and take a deep breath...Well expect in Chapter 5...My heart was racing. Expand
  75. Jan 18, 2013
    Journey proves that quality over quantity is indeed true.The amazing moments you experience in this game are much more significant than any other game moments before it. Masterpiece!
  76. Jan 12, 2013
    This is not just a game - it's a masterpiece game industry, developers should be commended .. I spit on Battlefield 3 and Crysis .. I think that you have the same opinion.
  77. Jan 15, 2013
    Amazing, Truly amazing. If the mysterious story can't keep you hooked then the sandy and beautiful environment will. Endless re playability and really nice drop in-drop out co-op system.
  78. Jan 26, 2013
    This game has a linear storyline and is beatable in just a few hours. It's amazing to look at and it has a great soundtrack. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
  79. Mar 2, 2013
    I'm going to start off this review by saying, if you haven't picked up Journey, stop reading this and go download it now. If you completely ignored that last part and are still reading this, Journey is a work of art. It's a gem, but you probably already knew that didn't you? I bet you did. In a world coated with "super hyper realistic 50 shades of brown" cookie cutter games, we've lostI'm going to start off this review by saying, if you haven't picked up Journey, stop reading this and go download it now. If you completely ignored that last part and are still reading this, Journey is a work of art. It's a gem, but you probably already knew that didn't you? I bet you did. In a world coated with "super hyper realistic 50 shades of brown" cookie cutter games, we've lost sight of what gaming is. Gaming is supposed to take us to far away lands and places you could never go and put us in situations that could never happen. It's supposed to bring us together and share a beautiful adventure with us. Journey does that. Within the first five minutes of Journey I was racing through beautifully artistic sand dunes as my silent nameless protagonist. Not soon after that I was paired with a companion. Me and this companion never shared a word but an experience. We built a bond taking this journey together, the whole way through. This is a game realizes what gaming is, and captures it expertly.
    My journey may have only lasted an hour and a half, but I will remember it for a lifetime.
  80. Mar 6, 2013
    Journey is a game that is unlike any other in recent times, perhaps except for thatgamecompany's other offerings. Without releasing too many details, which I promise is 9/10ths of the whole of this game, I can comment that the beautiful art design, breathtaking music, and short, approachable play style are the perfect tools to deliver what I have found to be one of the most authenticallyJourney is a game that is unlike any other in recent times, perhaps except for thatgamecompany's other offerings. Without releasing too many details, which I promise is 9/10ths of the whole of this game, I can comment that the beautiful art design, breathtaking music, and short, approachable play style are the perfect tools to deliver what I have found to be one of the most authentically memorable gaming experiences. Cannot recommend enough, but make sure you set aside the time to finish in one go. 2-3 hours should do the trick. You'll thank me later. Expand
  81. Sep 11, 2013
    Art in video games has always been a wild topic of discussion, however games like Journey just limits itself to one of the most complex forms of expression, while keeping the own integrity of the usual game mechanics.

Journey it's a vast experience that no one should miss, while keeping a really simplistic concept, the game manages to be unique and beautiful, all of this while you interact with it.
    Something that amazes me about Journey, it's the way that the game manages to handle each thing, that you would usually consider something minor in modern games, in a completely special and unique way, all of this being done by the incredible, but simplistic, visuals.
    While the music, visual and controls in "Journey" are Incredible, the thing that really stood up the most, was the interaction with one and other, it always manage to flow, and maintain almost a cinematic experience without loosing the game integrity.

Throughout the game you begin to feel a general connection with character itself, (even if he never talks nor has any facial expression), that's the really special thing about "Journey" it always feels like a Journey, the different experiences that you have each time that you start a new game are incomparable to the last ones that you have.
    The game storyline manages to be quite tricky to figure out what it really it's all about, and even then you may be wrong, but it doesn't matter, because in Journey it's not about winning or loosing or maintaining a "record", it all lies beneath the superficiality of those concepts and go much further than that, "Journey", it's all about the experience. After all, it's that what art it's all about?
  82. May 10, 2013
    This is without a doubt, one of the best game I've ever played. The audio is amazing, visuals are stunning, and gameplay is almost flawless. The fact that they tell an entire story without using a single word in the actual game is amazing. Definitely needs to be on your To-Play list if you haven't checked it out already.
  83. May 14, 2013
    Unusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly haveUnusually Journey is a game that lives up to the tremendous hype behind it. The game is astonishingly beautiful not only in the graphics but in the heart felt nature of it's word-less story. While interaction is limited, it never feels lacking like the game has just everything it needs in the right quantity. With enough variation in the places you visit to make you feel like you truly have been travelling a long way to get to your destination. It also manages to do something I never thought possible, get online gamers to work together without bickering and fighting. I will never forget the people I travelled with, even if I don't really know them. Expand
  84. Dec 2, 2014
    One of the most immersive games I have played in my life. This game is the perfect example why I love video games. Music, graphics, game experience: everything is great. Thanks so much ThatGameCompany!!!
  85. Jun 6, 2013
    Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular! Spectacular!
  86. Jun 7, 2013
    my favourite PS3 experience of a game from 2012, I'm only really putting reviews in meta-critic for games that have really blown me away, journey is the antithesis of an FPS games and nearly everything else that is out there, if you need relief from every standard game mechanic killing things etc and want to play a game that at no point stresses you and can be fit in into an hour or twomy favourite PS3 experience of a game from 2012, I'm only really putting reviews in meta-critic for games that have really blown me away, journey is the antithesis of an FPS games and nearly everything else that is out there, if you need relief from every standard game mechanic killing things etc and want to play a game that at no point stresses you and can be fit in into an hour or two in the evening then journey is for you, journey is a breath of fresh air, it does not explain itself nor does it need to, its a gentle exploration game that turns into a journey and by the end of it. the Mystery of what is going and your characters interactions just add to the game and your attachment to your character and by the end of the journey if you have a heart you will be touched by its quiet dreamlike grace. Expand
  87. Jul 27, 2013
    As so many have already said, this isn't a game, it's an experience. The visuals are stunning, and the score masterfully blends with what is going on in the game. The drop in, drop out multiplayer experience is unique and adds an entire new layer to the game, $15 dollars well spent.
  88. Feb 4, 2015
    Though Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional videoThough Flower evoked emotions through similar means of its visual and aural atmosphere, Thatgamecompany’s 2012 minimalist masterpiece Journey goes even further and although I immediately became emotionally invested as soon as the premiere of the E3 trailer years ago, I didn’t expect myself to cry at the end. It’s—in line with Thatgamecompany’s previous projects—not a conventional video game and it certainly acts more like an art project or cinematic experience than a gaming experience, however, there’s much, much more gameplay elements than we witnessed in Flower: the controls and camera are smooth—however, the inclusion of the motion control camera seems unnecessary and at its worst, distracting; it’s easy and has a duration of about 90 minutes if you play it straight through, but once you realize that every single cutscene, design, and overall detail is well warranted and the complete erasure of any filler, it’s definitely necessary and only makes the impact more well-deserved than it already is. And at last, it’s one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played—and I’m taking into account games like 2001’s Ico, 2005’s Shadow of the Colossus, 2006’s Ōkami, and many, many more. From the animation of the sand to the vibrant design of the creatures made of cloth, it’s a testament to just how visually stunning a video game can be, comparable to that of an art film. And the soundtrack, composed by Austin Wintory, is couldn’t be any more of a greater fit, how it’s timed and how it syncs into every single moment like a puzzle piece, the Grammy nomination was obviously earned. It’s certainly not an experience everyone will find joyous, however, besides the emotional impact Journey left on me, I have revisited the game multiple times already—the multiplayer experience is a one-of-a-kind and just factors into the emotions, it’s one of the most rewarding co-op experiences I’ve ever witnessed. The Trophies are easily earned yet exciting to collect and once you collect your White Robe after earning the Transcendence Trophy, you’ll be jumping with joy if you’re anymore of a fan than I am. If I’m overrating Journey, it’s because of complete bias, but even outside of a personal experience, it’s not surprising how much acclaim it initially received and how much of a legacy it’s generated since its release. It’s also not surprising that it has its fair share of criticism, but it’s baron in comparison to the many, many positive factors implemented into the experience. It’s one of the shortest epics out there, but it’s damn sure one hell of a memorable one.

Overall rating: 10

+Beautiful visuals
    +Beautiful soundtrack
    +Best co-op multiplayer experience in years
    +Excellent controls, camera, and no filler
    -Short
    -Motion control camera can be an annoyance
  89. Oct 3, 2013
    Journey is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budgetJourney is an odd game. It's essentially three to three and a half hours of gameplay, and has no real objectives besides get to the mountain. It isn't really a game in the sense of the word. It's an experience. A lot of the things you will see in journey provoke ambiguous response. Not a single word is said throughout the game, but there is a better story here than in any huge budget triple-A title I have ever played. It's beautiful, and is drop dead gorgeous at points. The soundtrack is serene and fitting. My time with journey left my jaw hanging quite literally. Journey is a game anyone with a ps3 needs to play. Expand
  90. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful videogame, an spiritual experience that changes my view of videogames is an art videogame the graphics, the celestial music all is perfect. A masterpiece
  91. Nov 24, 2013
    Nothing to talk, just buy it. Definitely the best indie game ever made, and it is a title that you should buy on PlayStation. Thatgamecompany really has potential, and I love their games.
  92. Sep 1, 2013
    Though there may not be explosions and fighting don't miss out on Journey. It is a great experience and has one of if not the very best soundtracks a game has ever had.
  93. Apr 11, 2016
    Are you are tired of gaming? Has your interest in gaming been dulled over time with the endless games that are just the same but in a different clothing? Or are you just plain fed up of all that DLC and penny pinching that is plaguing the industry these days? Then let me tell you, you need this game!
  94. Aug 4, 2014
    Another fantastic project by the brilliant Jenova Chen and his talented team at thatgamecompany.
    This game was simply a joy and a privilege to experience. The music, art styles, aesthetics, minimalist yet emotional gameplay/interactions all came together perfectly.
  95. Mar 4, 2014
    Do you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you seeDo you think this game is expensive for a 2-hour experience? Typically I'd agree with that view, but not in the case of this game, not at all! This is one of these rare games where replaying is more enjoyable than playing it for the first time. The first time you play it, you will say that it was gorgeous, that's sure. However, it will be much more intense in next games. Why? After you see the ending for the first time, you'll understand what it is all about, so the story will become really touching for you. Warning: if you are a sensitive person, you could cry at the ending (maybe you will not during your first game, but you could in some subsequent replay). Besides, even though you'll like the soundtrack the first time you hear it, you will absolutely love it from the second or third time you play, when you already know it. Third, playing online guarantees that the experience will never be exactly the same. Players have created a kind of in-game tradition where (most of) skillful players help noobs, so surely you will develop some kind of emotional link towards some of your game mates. Helping an online player is not the same as giving you a kidney, sure, but this kind of anonymous help makes you believe a little bit more in the humankind. Isn't it rare in videogames? Play Journey a few times and someday you will draw hearts on the snow. You don't understand me? You will. Expand
  96. Nov 4, 2013
    This game was incredible. One of the best games I've ever played. Using no dialogue, it is able to invoke emotions, and fosters a cooperative spirit that will have you in a deep bromance before it's over. It doesn't matter what kind of experience you're looking for, this is a must-play game for anyone living on planet earth.
  97. Apr 28, 2014
    This isn't so much a game as an experience. This stands alone in stark contrast to every game being made now. A beautiful, profound, and emotional experience, this is worth every dollar of its price despite its short completion time.
  98. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + Perfectly designed, paced, and conceived, and does not overstay its welcome
    + Visually stunning, with some creatively unmatched graphics solutions for its console generation
    + Fun drop-in co-op system with some aesthetically interesting ramifications
    ? In some aspects puts its form before its function in a way that some might not find engaging
  99. Nov 28, 2013
    The most beautiful game I've ever played. A unique experience that totally worth playing.
    The games put you in an wide desert with another player (you can't know who is he until the end) and tell you a brilliant a story. Although there is no different paths to follow, the game fells very personal, because of the ambiguous game story itself and the your relation with the another player. The soundtrack is as good as it could be and there is no voice acting in the game. The game duration is just right for finishing the game in one sitting (2-4 hours).
    Just sit down, relax and enjoy this journey.

1. Mar 22, 2013
    An ethereal, innovative, emotional cooperative experience, thatgamecompany’s Journey is one that any PlayStation 3 owner should take.
  2. Sep 20, 2012
    If there was ever a game deserving of the word beautiful in it's description, it's Journey. The game is stunning to look at, satisfying to play and oozes atmosphere from every angle of its dynamic story and immersive world. Sure it's short by regular game standards but Journey is not a regular game. If your ready for an experience that will surprise you, move you and stick with you for many years after its done, then maybe this is the Journey for you.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    May 14, 2012
    Clever, emotive, and easily the best downloadable game so far this year. [June 2012, p.58]