8.1

1. mbx
    Jan 9, 2013
    Not quite a 10, but close. As an open world game one may feel inclined to compare this game to titles such as GTA 4, Sleeping Dogs, etc. Those games do not compare (although sleeping dogs does run on the same engine). For sheer chaos, Just Cause 2 blows those titles away. You can really **** **** up, just cause you can, and that's the brilliance of it. Why? Cause **** you....That's why.Not quite a 10, but close. As an open world game one may feel inclined to compare this game to titles such as GTA 4, Sleeping Dogs, etc. Those games do not compare (although sleeping dogs does run on the same engine). For sheer chaos, Just Cause 2 blows those titles away. You can really **** **** up, just cause you can, and that's the brilliance of it. Why? Cause **** you....That's why.

Gamers looking for a story should look elsewhere as this game's story is horrible. The thing that saves it is the fact that the game has a sense of humor; it takes its absurdity and runs with it, and that commands respect. It's good they didn't take it seriously. Cons: Voice acting, Story. The voice acting is like a mix of dialect from 5 separate languages.

There is a massive world for you to explore, many bases, villages and cities to destroy, and it's quite long if you want it to be. Otherwise you can long in casually and **** **** up, just cause you can.
  2. RobD.
    Apr 12, 2010
    Decided I would do the same as I did when I first got hold of GTA San Andreas and do all the stuff on the side whilst progressing the game at a snails pace in the background - milk it for all its worth in other words. Easy enough to do with Just Cause 2 as there is such an incredible and picturesque environment to explore (and blow up!). No game before it has even come close to creating Decided I would do the same as I did when I first got hold of GTA San Andreas and do all the stuff on the side whilst progressing the game at a snails pace in the background - milk it for all its worth in other words. Easy enough to do with Just Cause 2 as there is such an incredible and picturesque environment to explore (and blow up!). No game before it has even come close to creating such an incredibly detailed, vast and open World for you to lose yourself in....and with the ability to climb up mountains now with a parachute - awesome! For the first 30 hours or so of generally mucking about and causing pandemonium I have never been so engrossed and overwhelmed with a gaming World. So many moments of intense vertigo, so many ridiculously oversized structures - imagine what this will be like in true 3D when it comes along! Anyway, great fun dicking around and taking over parts of the huge island complex, but ultimately it started to get a bit repetitive and perhaps there are just one too many "settlements" crammed into this place, so started to get into the game's storyline. And this is where the rating of 7 comes in. I've basically given them one point for every mission in the story. The missions themselves are nowhere near as varied and interesting as the original and I was absolutely gobsmacked to find that after 7 pretty mediocre efforts I'd completed the game! This was the one criticism that Avalanche got about the original - great game, environment, but promised so much more. Instead of addressing this and making the story longer and more interesting they seem to have expended all their energy creating the playground and yet again leaving the plot to play second fiddle. So, like GTA 4, a fantastic technical achievement but gameplay has taken second fiddle yet again and meant that one of the best games out there is yet again also a massive disappointment. Expand
  3. Dec 13, 2010
    this game was a suprise to me . i didnt think it would be this good . since the first just cause game pretty much sucked . well edios and sqaur-enix are on the right path with this series . the world you get to explore is HUGE it makes grand theft autos maps seem tiny . you get a decent amount of wepons and you can upgrade for more ammo, better acuracy , and more power. you can also do thethis game was a suprise to me . i didnt think it would be this good . since the first just cause game pretty much sucked . well edios and sqaur-enix are on the right path with this series . the world you get to explore is HUGE it makes grand theft autos maps seem tiny . you get a decent amount of wepons and you can upgrade for more ammo, better acuracy , and more power. you can also do the same with vehicles which you get alot like over 130 . you can drive just about any thing on 2 wheels and 4 wheels and even helicopters , planes and boats . the mission varity is decent with many ways to approch each mission . the graphics are fantastic with little in the way of pop ups . the envirmonet for being so huge is lush with all kinds of stuff . the grappling hook and parachute are alot of fun to play with . the ability to fast travel to any location you been to is also very nice as it saves boring time in driving or flying to every where you want to go. you can also call in a black market dealer who will drop off wepons and vehicles which is very nice as it saves you time running to a gun shop. the game does have its issues though . it is alittle buggy but not bad when you consider the size of this game and its not very often where i had many isses outside of 3 times in my playthough where i got stuck in some thing and had to reload . the story and voice acting is the biggest downer . the story is pretty boring and i felt little to no intrest in what was going on . the voice acting in some cases is HORRID . the one girl who is in charge of one of the 3 factions is the worst and i couldnt stand hearing her talk i had to skip every cut scean with her she annoyed me so bad. the enimy's can feel cheap some times with them calling in helicopters on you and having it show up with in 5 seconds of you being spotted and the health system sucked they should went with the auto health recharge to full instead of trying to find med kits which in more then a few cases i could find any near the place i was attacking. all in all though it was a real fun game and provided me with almost 50 hours on fun . i do wish they had more side missions as well almost all lot them where so easy and very short. and there is only 7 main missions which also arnt that long for just being 7 missions .the biggest struggle i had was taking down enimy bases . its deffinitly a must check out if you like open world games like grand theft auto. Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2015
    Did you ever wish to have Rambo in a (good) videogame ? Well thanks to Just Cause 2 you wish is granted. The map is huge, diverse and good looking ,without any loading time; so we have a pretty cool sandbox, but what really makes the game shine is the huge amount of content with things to blow up every 100 meters, races and 50 nice (some more than others) secondary missions. If you wantDid you ever wish to have Rambo in a (good) videogame ? Well thanks to Just Cause 2 you wish is granted. The map is huge, diverse and good looking ,without any loading time; so we have a pretty cool sandbox, but what really makes the game shine is the huge amount of content with things to blow up every 100 meters, races and 50 nice (some more than others) secondary missions. If you want to reach the 100% you can plan for approximately 75 hours, probably the longest sandbox game I've played (and I didn't waste time fooling around). Although the main story is a little short, I would have like to spend some time in this ironic revolution/spy story.
    Now, let's talk about the gameplay : it's a blast, moving like spiderman thanks to your grappling hook and parachute, helicopters fight, shooting everyone in a ten miles radius, etc... You really have a lot of fun playing Just Cause 2.
    I would have give it a 10 if there was more missions (main and secondary) and if I wouldn't had 3 freeze , I don't mind one or two glitches (specially in a world that big) but when the game "hurts" the console it displeases me a lot so -1 point.
  5. Mar 18, 2011
    Maybe the greatest sandbox game on the PS3, and definitely one of my favorite games. I spent more than 100 hours on it (and achieved more than 98%), this tells a lot.

This game is just lots of fun. Game mechanics are innovative (hook and chute allow you to get everywhere), the map is varied and huge. You can drive pretty much all vehicles you can find (bikes, cars, choppers, planes, boats, tanks). Action is great (destruction, shooting), weapons are balanced, enemies are somewhat clever.

Now the reasons why I do not give a 10: driving is a bit awkward (hard to keep the car on the road when gaining some speed), the story is not very compelling (more of a B movie plot) and there is too little side quests / rewards.

I think this game should have deserved better critics and some pro reviewers should be ashamed.
  6. Nov 6, 2011
    Just Cause 2 deserves more credit than it gets. This free roam is so large that it is nearly impossible to explore every inch of area in the game. Despite a couple repetitive missions and settlements, there is lots to do and it is not a problem when it comes to destroying things.
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    The best free-roaming game I've ever played. A slightly weak plot, but this is more than made up for in the vast map and outstanding amount of weapons and vehicles available to you
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    The definition of open world. One of the bigger game's in the genre, the sheer size of the world is amazing, I'm a veteran of these games from GTA, to Sleeping Dogs(I just finished and beat this, great game), and other open worlds like Deus Ex etc, this game finds itself in top company.

The gameplay is great, and gets better as you get better at it. Graphics arent bad, arent good... The vehicles are ho hum to be honest...THIS GAME IS HUGE...lots and lots to do, main and side missions and item hunting!

Great game
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    Panau is a big world, and while it will probably take about 72 hours or ore of continuous playing to even make a significant dent in it, JC2 is a stylish game with many possibilities for fun, including the driving option and the "heat" levels. The game could be a little bit shorter, and the glitches need to be fixed, but still a great game that'll keep you occupied for those of us who arePanau is a big world, and while it will probably take about 72 hours or ore of continuous playing to even make a significant dent in it, JC2 is a stylish game with many possibilities for fun, including the driving option and the "heat" levels. The game could be a little bit shorter, and the glitches need to be fixed, but still a great game that'll keep you occupied for those of us who are constantly bored of everything. Expand
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    is just cause 2 perfect? no, but it's a pretty damn good game. the Pros: huge world to explore, hundreds of towns,villages, military bases etc, to find. grappling hook is one of the best things in the game, many vehicles. visuals are stunningly beautiful especially when flying. many secrets and easter eggs hidden throughout the world. you get to blow up SH*T. Cons: the voice acting needsis just cause 2 perfect? no, but it's a pretty damn good game. the Pros: huge world to explore, hundreds of towns,villages, military bases etc, to find. grappling hook is one of the best things in the game, many vehicles. visuals are stunningly beautiful especially when flying. many secrets and easter eggs hidden throughout the world. you get to blow up SH*T. Cons: the voice acting needs work, some character animations are glitchy, the quick time events when stealing a vehicle from an enemy are unnecessary. i hope they fix these things in just cause 3 if they do make it, a multiplayer mode would be nice too. but in the end the Pros outshine the Cons so they can easily be ignored. Just cause 2 is a fun game especially if you like exploring. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    THE GOOD: This game literally lets you play anyway you want. It has the largest and one of the most beautiful open-world maps ever. You can explore over 400 square miles of jungles, cities, villages, mountains, and deserts. The map is highly detailed and features dozens of easter eggs to check out. The games environments are absolutely beautiful. There are around 7 story missions (whichTHE GOOD: This game literally lets you play anyway you want. It has the largest and one of the most beautiful open-world maps ever. You can explore over 400 square miles of jungles, cities, villages, mountains, and deserts. The map is highly detailed and features dozens of easter eggs to check out. The games environments are absolutely beautiful. There are around 7 story missions (which are all very fun) and many many side missions (99% of them are really fun). Then of course there is the option to cause chaos all over the fictional country of Panau. You can conquer hundreds of military bases, villages, and city areas. The amount of destruction you can cause is stunning. The amount of stunts you can do with the many vehicles are amazing. This is literally the ultimate stunt game. The voice acting is fantastic. It is a very polished game with only a few minor glitches. The PS3 version has a feature allowing you to upload gameplay straight to youtube. The grappling hook and parachute combination allow you to easily travel through the game's large map.

THE BAD: The character models in the game are not the best looking. The story can be predictable and somewhat generic at times. There is unfortunately no online modes. The game often requires the player to kill many enemies but there is no real reward for killing them. Causing chaos can sometimes get repetitive.

It is one of the best games ever made! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Must buy!
  12. justathought
    Mar 30, 2010
    The reviews of this game have been quite harsh. One claimed it was a toy not agame due to the thin plot, surely addictive gamplay is the deciding factor. This game is packed with fun gameplay and allows you the freedom to be creative. It looks awesome on a PS3. Zero screen tear with a huge beautiful environment. The water effects are amazing when the sunset ripples on the surface. You can The reviews of this game have been quite harsh. One claimed it was a toy not agame due to the thin plot, surely addictive gamplay is the deciding factor. This game is packed with fun gameplay and allows you the freedom to be creative. It looks awesome on a PS3. Zero screen tear with a huge beautiful environment. The water effects are amazing when the sunset ripples on the surface. You can even see the rock rippling under water when in the shallows. And best of all you can dive and swim among the seaweed and coral. Mission repeatition is not a problem, because you try different creative strategies. This varies the gameply. I don't mind the B movie voice acting because it is done on purpose for a laugh. It is a caricature of fun, not gritty realism. That sentence just about sums up the whole game really. It goes down as a classic in my book. The grappling hook implementation is a stroke of genius. If you love to explore in a huge tropical paradise, then you will be in heaven. The gunplay isn't as good as Uncharted 2, but it's not as bad as often claimed. One reviewer claimed the weapons were under powered, this is not true because he simply rushed through the main quest without searching for any of the secret weapon upgrades. Some even complain that the map is too big. How can you have too much of a good thing. The island of Panau is full of interesting detail. Everywhere you go, you come across all sorts of installations and settlements. This is a must have game, even if you just want to randomly dip your toes in and don't have the patience to finish it. The people that won't enjoy it are those who lack creativity and need to be led by the hand with a strong linear story. This is atrue sand box. You make your own story in a spectacular real time action movie. Expand
  13. Jan 10, 2011
    I really feel some games fall victim to some weird "reviewer" framework that has developed over the years. This is the case with Just Cause 2. The critics feel compelled to go through a checklist of subjective cons and pros to calculate a score. Voice acting, check, graphics, check, physics check, compelling story, check, character models lip sync correctly, check, 20+hours of gameplay,I really feel some games fall victim to some weird "reviewer" framework that has developed over the years. This is the case with Just Cause 2. The critics feel compelled to go through a checklist of subjective cons and pros to calculate a score. Voice acting, check, graphics, check, physics check, compelling story, check, character models lip sync correctly, check, 20+hours of gameplay, check...etc. Now video game shopping has become like TV shopping! I'm looking at features and technical achievements when really I want to know is this product going to provide me with X amount of fun and experiences. Do the character's lips always sync correctly in Just Cause 2? No. Is the story super compelling and interesting all the time, not really. My only real knock against the game is that quite a few of the faction side missions are identical, which is a bit lame. But all the technical knocks, story, missions and other flaws of this game, it is still great fun, and that's what counts. A lot of other reviewers have described the WOW factor at thinking "I wonder if I can do this.." and always having the answer be YES in this game. That's what sandbox gaming is about. This game is fun period. I played over 12 hours before even attempting the first story mission. I might not make it to the second one! I've already got my money's worth from this game. So go read the positive critics reviews if you're on the fence, and if the gameplay sounds like something you'd like, you have to try this game out. But anyone who gives this game a low score needs to go review mobile phones or something, your talents at reviewing are being wasted on games :) Expand
  14. Jul 13, 2012
    This game is the epitome of quantity over quality. Absolute loads of, very well designed it must be said, terrain to explore but due to several severe gameplay issues it still leaves a sour taste in the mouth.
    Issues include the ridiculous ramp in difficulty as you progress through the game, poor storyline and voice acting, collect-em-up aspect towards progression and due to bizarrely mis-priced items in the games black market, scarcity of weapons/ammo/health etc. the game presents you with a great sandbox yet a fundamental lack of toys to play with in it.
    If the game had, for example, an unlock and customisation system like Saints Row 3, the difficulty curve and story quality of Grand Theft Auto and perhaps some cheat options It would be hard to fault, as it stands however I'm left to wonder how much better this game could have been.
    Here's hoping a third instalment addresses those issues.
  15. May 18, 2012
    Didn't really give this game a chance, but I've had this game for a few days and had to sell it. I just didn't like it. It looked like a game for 8 year old's too be honest. I believe this game was meant for people to destroy everything and create chaos, and I'm not into those. The character's voice you're playing pissed me off also lol... and yeah weak story= waste of 60$
  16. Aug 20, 2010
    The game starts off well but soon goes downhill simply by not upping it's game enough and flaws build up on top of what should be a fun experience. My personal gripe is with the gun controls which are... unique. I brought the game because I took a long time to tire of the demo, if you play the demo for more than 50 times you have the full game for free.
  17. Oct 17, 2010
    I gave this an 8 because of the free roaming, the story is a bit dull and i think to map is too big and it makes it annoying getting round and using extraction all the time. Some of the faction missions are good but some are just rubbish and don't last very long. Another thing is you can't replay levels without starting the game over. This game is very addictive though and can keep youI gave this an 8 because of the free roaming, the story is a bit dull and i think to map is too big and it makes it annoying getting round and using extraction all the time. Some of the faction missions are good but some are just rubbish and don't last very long. Another thing is you can't replay levels without starting the game over. This game is very addictive though and can keep you playing for over fifty hours. I think this game will be for you if like free roaming games and blowing up stuff. I think i would've given this game a 10 if you could go online and free roam round round the island and blow stuff up with your friends. Expand
  18. Dec 21, 2010
    An initially charming sandbox action game that features a gigantic game world and a hero equipped with a slingshot and a parachute, allowing him to reach any imaginable place on the map. Plays well but the story is practically non-existent and more dumb than camp, and the side activities are seriously limited and horribly repetitive. Great fun at first but in the long run, way too big withAn initially charming sandbox action game that features a gigantic game world and a hero equipped with a slingshot and a parachute, allowing him to reach any imaginable place on the map. Plays well but the story is practically non-existent and more dumb than camp, and the side activities are seriously limited and horribly repetitive. Great fun at first but in the long run, way too big with way too much of the same. Expand
  19. Apr 6, 2012
    The plot may be completely nonsensical, cheap and poor acted out, but Just Cause 2 more than makes up for the silly plot by providing the most fun any open-world game in recent history has.
    The possibilities to explore the Island of Panau, torture civilians and inflict chaos are endless.
    A great game that shouldn't be missed by anyone.
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    As a newbie to the Just Cause franchise, I found this to be incredibly frustrating and needed to search the Internet for answers for even the most basic tasks.
  21. JohnV.
    Mar 23, 2010
    Easily the best Sandbox game to date. If you loved the massive world, tons of vehicles, and incredible fun of GTASA and didn't care to much to delve into the story, then Just Cause 2 is for you. The world is HUGE (took me almost 10 minutes to fly corner to corner in an SU-37 fighter jet look-a-like aside from a horizontal scale the world is also huge on a vertical scale. Massive Easily the best Sandbox game to date. If you loved the massive world, tons of vehicles, and incredible fun of GTASA and didn't care to much to delve into the story, then Just Cause 2 is for you. The world is HUGE (took me almost 10 minutes to fly corner to corner in an SU-37 fighter jet look-a-like aside from a horizontal scale the world is also huge on a vertical scale. Massive mountain peaks and the ability to fly a place/helicopter seemingly endlessly high in the game really make it the largest world to roam in any sandbox game to date. The graphics are gorgeous and the draw distance is incredible. The grappling hook is awesome and the controls are perfect. There's a plethora of guns to choose from as well. Don't read into the bogus reviews, Just Cause 2 is definately worth playing. I'd liken it the most to what Mercenaries 2 would have been like if it didn't suck and were 1000 times better. Expand
  22. ZacH.
    Mar 23, 2010
    This is what gta5 should look in the coming months, the sandbox environment is lushous contrast of beauty and the scale of this would match or better red faction in the environment locations such as ice/snowy too tropical landscapes, i had enjoyed this demo much more than gta4 and other sandboxs games including farcry 2. And i haven't even started with Gameplay! oh my goodness!
  23. Travis
    Mar 24, 2010
    Until march 23rd I had yet experienced a sandbox game that even touched grand theft auto's brilliant mix of freedom structured missions and chaos. I am proud to say that Avalanche studios have given me the game of my dreams. Unparalelled draw distance coupled with an overwhelming area to cause destruction make for the funnest sandbox I've played to date. This is every action Until march 23rd I had yet experienced a sandbox game that even touched grand theft auto's brilliant mix of freedom structured missions and chaos. I am proud to say that Avalanche studios have given me the game of my dreams. Unparalelled draw distance coupled with an overwhelming area to cause destruction make for the funnest sandbox I've played to date. This is every action movie you've ever loved mashed with a brilliant parachute and grapple mechanic with a high dose of steroids thrown in. The graphics are astounding and the real acheivement is the environment itself which looks amazing. Blowing up jeeps full of enemies in pursuit with a chain gun on a helicopter packs a satisfying punch. The story is nothing to write home about but rather nudges the player along in this incredibly realized world. Don't be surprised of you come upon an enemy settlement and lose an hour of time collecting armor and weapon parts and strategically sabatoging water towers and antennas until you have 100% control of the area. Taking these things down causes chaos, which is needed to advance to the next missions. Overall I can't say enough about this game as it is one of the funnest experiences I've had with a game in years. Grab your grappling hook, strap on your parachute and enjoy this masterpeice Avalanche has given us. Expand
  24. RyanP
    Mar 25, 2010
    A very large and very fun sandbox game that throws realism out the window. Surfing jet planes and slinging around better then spiderman are regular occurences in this game. Add the fact that you got like a 600 square mile game world and 104 vehicles with upgradeable weapons and over 300 locations to discover this game has tons of replay value. Voice acting and story are terrible in this A very large and very fun sandbox game that throws realism out the window. Surfing jet planes and slinging around better then spiderman are regular occurences in this game. Add the fact that you got like a 600 square mile game world and 104 vehicles with upgradeable weapons and over 300 locations to discover this game has tons of replay value. Voice acting and story are terrible in this game and their are a few glitches but you'll be having so much fun you could care less. Expand
  25. JustinS
    Mar 26, 2010
    Absolutely a blast. Very fun to just wander around and explore. There are some who may find the missions a tad repetitive, but for the rest of us who enjoy the ability to play how, when and what you want, this is a near perfect game. There was a instance where I fell through a floor and got stuck, and the dialogue is, uh, not exactly Shakespeare, but overall the graphics, frame rate, game Absolutely a blast. Very fun to just wander around and explore. There are some who may find the missions a tad repetitive, but for the rest of us who enjoy the ability to play how, when and what you want, this is a near perfect game. There was a instance where I fell through a floor and got stuck, and the dialogue is, uh, not exactly Shakespeare, but overall the graphics, frame rate, game play and just sheer fun is excellent. Blast through the story or take your time exploring, it's all great. Expand
  26. JustinS
    Mar 27, 2010
  27. LinusJ.
    Apr 4, 2010
    To many reviewers dont have the guts to rate this as 9/10 or 10/10, thats why it only almost reaches the perfect scores. Reason for that is stuff like voice acting and story and lack of direct orginality; reviewers need some comon ground not to get lost in their rating, and all they find in Just Cause 2 is FUN. This is the game a lot of us - if not most of us - have dreamed about ever To many reviewers dont have the guts to rate this as 9/10 or 10/10, thats why it only almost reaches the perfect scores. Reason for that is stuff like voice acting and story and lack of direct orginality; reviewers need some comon ground not to get lost in their rating, and all they find in Just Cause 2 is FUN. This is the game a lot of us - if not most of us - have dreamed about ever since the 90s when games started to really advance. A game where you are the action stunt hero and do this ridiculously cool stuff in a beautiful envoirment. Where you can drive everything, and seem to be able to actually do anything. Whenever you think "omg, I hope I can do this..", you actually can do it. Not once in 30 hours have I found something I want to do that I cant. Now, problems for reviewers orther than story and voiceacting, is that the orginality is more indirect than usual. Pretty much everything in there has been done before; its almost a complete parody/tribute to various media - its just its never been done in a GAME before, and no other game has been close. Its what GTA allways wanted to be, but still is a far way from. Impossible to give this anything less than a 10 despite voice acting ect... Expand
  28. JakeF.
    Apr 7, 2010
    This is one of the best games that i have ever played. the massive open environment is well designed and can keep you searching for hours. the ability to connect any two objects together is just pure awesomeness. this is easily the best game made this year and kicks the crap out of its predecessor.
  29. MarkR.
    Apr 16, 2010
    Brilliant, very fun gameplay, a huge amount of things to do, massive varied world map to explore, desert, city, snowy mountains, and a tropical rainforest, a total of 368 locations to destroy, 104 vechicles, with more being added through downloadable content, easily the best sandbox game out yet.
  30. JamesD
    Apr 17, 2010
    Just Cause 2 is a fantastic breath of fresh air for a sandbox as energetic as it is. This is truly a playground of destruction.

1. All things considered, Just Cause 2 is comfortably the best "zany" sandboxer out there, and a brilliantly improved sequel to the great-if-flawed original. [Apr 2010, p.60]
  2. One of the most enjoyable sandboxes for players to experiment in this side of Grand Theft Auto. [Issue#204, p.86]
  3. Just Cause 2 can hardly be called an average game. It's a good one undermined by a selection of mediocre elements, and it's all the more frustrating this time around because Avalanche shows us glimpses of just how much fun two weeks on holiday with Rico should be. [Apr 2010, p.96]