• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Feb 27, 2009
8.1

1. Aug 16, 2010
    I am disappointed by Killzone 2. Even though it has received rave reviews by the critics, i have to say, i find it quite difficult to come up with positive things to say about it.
    The graphics are pretty nice yes, but unfortunately, games like Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 are available on PS3 and they have much more eye candy. The graphics of Gears of War 3 on Xbox 360 (I own both
    consoles) are almost on par.
    And, well, that's about all the positive things i have to say about this game.

The story is a total fail. From the start i couldn't understand what we were doing on Helghan and why we were doing it. I couldn't even understand why we were supposed to be the good guys. Sure, the enemies looked menacing with all the nazi-like styling, but apart from that, the gamer doesn't have a clue what is going on, because the story is non existent.
    Just like the story, the characters and their conversations are completely disappointing as well. I can't say much because i just don't remember anything. My brain has immediately deleted any relevant information because it considered it junk i guess... Uncharted's story and script is light years better.

The controls are adequate. I didn't like the covering mechanism -there were times that even though i was supposed to be covering, the enemies could still see me and shoot me dead- and the unimaginative way the developers chose to use the dualshock's accelerometer.

Overall, a mediocre game, way worse than Gears of War series, Call of Duty, Crysis or Half Life.
    Certainly the biggest disappointment of all the ps3 exclusives.
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    It baffles me how a game like Killzone 2 can be considered so great, the graphics are amazing, everything else is terrible. STORY: Pretty standard sci-fi story Space Marines kill bad guys, decent voice acting but can get corny at times. Annoyances abound when you figure out that apparently you're the ONLY Space Medic left so you're left to be the only person that can revive your teammate and when you die, your teammates cannot revive you, in single player, hearing "ZEV, I NEED HELP ZEEEEVVVVVV" gets old very quickly. CONTROLS: Mushy "realistic" controls which make the multiplayer in this game feel so terribly unbalanced and sluggish, I think this is actually supposed to be a "feature" but the acceleration on the sticks is insanely high, but the sensitivity is low leading to unecessary . coming from gaming on PC with mouse and keyboard using analog sticks with a ton of accelleration seems so frustratingly inaccurate it's a deal breaker right there. GRAPHICS: As I said earlier, the graphics are great, same with the sound design. Aesthetically it's a well made game, but control and story wise it's terribly disappointing. Expand
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    Unfortunately, I am one of those disappointed by the game. I loved the first part, despite the clunky controls, mainly due to the fact that the story was awesome. In this part we partake in an invasion of the Helghan planet. The graphics are very good, but the game, for me, fails miserably in another department - single player game play. Basically, you go from room to room (or from open-air area to open-air area), getting rid of the baddies and hoping to find a checkpoint before somebody kills you. If they kill you, you will most likely have to redo the last few places. Which results in excruciatingly repetitive gameplay. I'm not a big fan of the checkpoint system, but I also have seen games in which it works perfectly.

The AI is another peeve. You'll hear them yell that they'll cover you, which is a synonym for "I'll get shot ASAP", "I'll ignore that guy with the turret", and "I'll stay here and watch the baddies kill you while doing the objective, so you can do the last 2 rooms again". Adds to repetitiveness and destroys immersion completely. Just as bad as games in which your team is virtually indestructible, so that you don't even have to shoot a shot to win a level.

Controls aren't great either. It could be me, but the proximity of the grenade throw and the shoot button were irritating.

The game has potential, but fails.
  4. Jan 16, 2011
    Very unimpressed. I played this game for about 6 hours split over 2 different sessions, and absolutely can not stand the controls. I have quite a lot of experience in FPS's, and I would certainly rather play Golden Eye than this game. The controls are slow and unresponsive, the use of automatic weapons is a joke, and accuracy is of all weapons in general is like using a red rider BB gun as a sniper rifle. Over all, I would say that this game is not even worth getting used. Expand
  5. Nov 9, 2010
    This game is not good the only thing good about it is the graphics the frame rate is not good and gameplay isn't good neither. And the multiplayer just isn't fun.
  6. Jul 2, 2011
    everyone to their own, Killzone 2 (whilst looking nice) is a clumsy,awkward controlled FPS with perhaps the worst and most irritating characters I've ever seen in a video game.
    I don't like the term 'overrated', so won't label this so. I know many like the game and I'm in the minority, but wasn't my cup of tea.
  7. Jan 23, 2014
    I have been playing this game for awhile now and the more I play it the more I don't like it. the controls are terrible. There's is so much lag when you turn its almost impossible to kill someone.on top of that every gun is extremely inaccurate, there's is no point aiming down sights. Multiplayer is descent , the controls are a little better but most of time enemy camps outside your spawn, killing you every time you spawn. They are a lot better because of the unlocked abilities they have and you don't have anything. Expand
  8. Apr 25, 2011
    Killzone 2 was one of the most hyped and anticipated games for PS3 when it was being developed, and in many ways it lived up to that hype. The graphics are the highlight here; the story, characters and game play are not the best I've ever seen, nor are they the worst, but they're not great. I didn't play the first game, so perhaps I was at a disadvantage with the story but I struggled to keep interest in it almost from the start. Bad guys come, you kill them, you move on. It's been done many times before and this game does it uninspired from start to finish. The characters are hard to like, one of them including profanities a couple of times in each sentence, although the main antagonist is easy to dislike he is not a memorable one. The control system is something I had trouble getting to grips with, and I felt there was a delay between my button press and the gun on-screen shooting. I changed the controls and it became easier, so if you're struggling try this too. Killzone 2 is a hard game to like, but I did complete it in 10-11 hours. 1/5. Expand
  9. May 9, 2012
    Unfortunately that game isn't even as good as its prequel. It is a dumb enemy-respawn-action-failure with no mentionable story and the simple quintessence: it needs more than some outstanding graphics to create a good game.
    But after all, it fits... in these times it seems only games with a lot boom boom and permanent thill can bring kids to the screen. Must be some concession to the
    attention deficit hyperactivity disorder age... Expand
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    Although I'm playing this game 4 years after it's release I am gobsmacked that it got such stellar reviews. It's so generic that it hurts. I could best describe this game as a Call of Duty clone. It could probably make it as a Black Ops title if the controls weren't so and slow. So what makes it's so terrible you say? The level design is uninspiring to say the least shades of brown and grey, claustrophobic, & repetitive. Checkpoints that lead you forward to yet another wave of enemies. Bland weaponry. The voice acting is cringe worthy, and the lip syncing looks like something you'd see in a game pre-2000. Maybe I'm spoiled by recent releases, but this PS3 exclusive has been a let down. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2012
    This game was nothing more than sparkling graphics and realistic guns. The game play eventually become boring and all too familiar. The story is not engaging, and neither are the characters. I was disappointed to see Jan Templar be replaced by this "Sev" character. Everything good about the plot and characters of Killzone 1 vanished as the entire focus came down to graphics and gameplay. Although those are greatly important, if I am not engaged by a story I won't play the game. The plot seemed predictable and even cliche. It very much felt like I was playing a cheap rip off of what Killzone should have been. This game is simply overrated. Killzone 1 was much better. The game overall is very dark and blan, not very motivating, and not worth a second playthough. Expand
  12. Sep 5, 2013
    Disappointing, Mediocre and repetitive, those are the emotions and feelings that Killzone 2 evoke on my conscious mind while playing it.

It amazes me how some people can foolishly get hyped for just a couple of nice graphical effects, i said it before and i said it again, graphics, don't make a game, good.
    It's the combination of the different departments that work in the game itself
    in a well thought way, with heart, and intelligence put into it.

Killzone 2 it's you running around in a wide and repetitive stage while shooting the exact same model of a "Helghast" over, and over, and over again, there's no stop into it and when finally is, it can just be summed up into you as the player getting on a mech and shooting the exact same models once again, it's an endless loop of repetition that i can't stand, there where several different times where i felt like i was being forced into played the game.

The worst problem of the game itself is the incredible lost of potential that "SCEA" demonstrates in this game. the "Helghast" could possibly be one of the most intriguing and interesting characters that someone might play against in a video game, but they get such a poor and mediocre treatment, that you just get upset there isn't a lot more information of them in the game, it's a huge waste of opportunity when it happen.

The characters that carry along with you throughout the "joyful ride" that "Killzone 2" offers, are one of the most uninteresting, and annoying characters that any game can share to the player, once again, this game just manages to shine when a huge waste of potential shows up.
    But that's not the worst part of "Killzone 2", oh no, it gets much, much worse.
    The gameplay of this game is extremely repetitive, there wasn't even one thing that i can recall being memorable or interesting, or that even shined throughout my boring, and dull experience with it.

It is disgusting that a game like "KIllzone 2" can be praised so much at a point of being considered, "one of the best shooters for the ps3", pathetic, shallow, uninteresting, boring, repetitive, it's the experience that you're more that likely are going to have while playing "Killzone 2".

Don't get fooled by the naive and ignorant reviews, of some people that can get surprised with a couple of nice graphical effects, and shadows that pop out, and cover the awful failure that this game is.
    Even then, the cover up doesn't last for a while.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    I'm really disappointed with the second game in this series. I loved the 1st killzone, in particular because the settings looks both realistic and futuristic, and because the story was engaging. Frankly, I can't tell you what the story in number 2 is like, because I can't get over how mediocre the game mechanics are. Firstly, the aiming is slow and clunky, the crosshairs are near invisible, the particle effects (whilst pretty) make spotting anything in the entirely brown grey environment a pain, death happens randomly, enemies fluctuate between insane bullet sponges, to flimsy cardboard cutouts, the AI is a bit special, and the combat is just not fun. I put the aiming sensitivity to full, and it still takes several seconds to pan from one side of the screen to the other, which in a game where enemies can essentially one shot you, and the hit indicator is non-existent, makes surviving each fire fight tedious at best.

I really wanted to enjoy this game, but Its one of the few games where I cannot stand to play it because the mechanics of it are terrible.

1. It's true that Killzone 2 is filled with moments that can handily be described as inspiring awe. Each scene is incredibly well detailed, from the gaps in jerry-rigged cover points letting you sneak in a killing headshot to scarred and scratched textures, the planet feels entirely believable... Without a doubt Killzone fans, action and shooter fans of any stripe will instantly tag this sequel as a powerful contender for best game of 2009. [Feb 2009, p.38]
  2. Killzone 2’s secret ingredient is the fluidity in gameplay that we have come to enjoy more than its graphical prowess or jaw-dropping visuals. And that’s what games have always been about... We're surprised to see Killzone 2 blows our expectations out of the water with a memorable SP campaign and a stellar MP component. To put it short, this game makes "Gears of War 2" look like a high school attempt at gaming and that is a HUGE compliment!
  3. Visually it's so far ahead of anything else out there it shatters your expectations...This is a PS3 showing what it's truly capable of and delivering a landmark piece of explosive entertainment you can't afford to miss. [Feb 2009, p.88]